Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News. Welcome to Merrin Talk's Your Money, the personal finance edition of Merin Talk's Money and these bonus podcasts we talk about the best strategies for making the most of your money. I'm Merin Dumbsup, Web editor at Large for Bloomberg UK Wealth Now. This week kicked off with some drama in British politics and a particular surprise there. Following Andy Burnham's victory in the Makefield by election and growing brother from Labor and Peace Kiss someone announced his resignation as Labor leader and Prime Minister. Burnham quickly confirmed what we already knew, which is that he would be seeking the leadership and that is widely expected to happen in the next few weeks without much of a contest. So we imagine that Andy Burnham will be the next Prime Minister. And the question then is what will Britain look like under Andy Burnham? And more importantly, what will it mean for your money? Spoiler probably nothing good. With me to help explore that question, It's Philip Alderic, senior reporter covering the UK Cony for Bloomberg News. Phil Welcome, thank you for joining us today.
Speaker 2: Good to be here, right.
Speaker 1: The first thing to say, I guess is that assuming that Andy Burnham is going to stick to the fiscal rules, which he has said he is going to do, that leaves him with very little immediate wiggle room. Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, we've got twenty three billion of headroom that Rachel Reeves left us with, which itself was a relatively small amount of headroom. Unless he gets really lucky with growth. Yeah, he's going to He's really got very few options at the end of the parliament. Most of the hard work is going to be done with these frozen tax thresholds, which are going to really irritate most of the electorate. So you can't see them the government pushing through that, even a Burnham government pushing through with something which is going to be some unpopular right before a general election.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I suppose the first thing we should actually do is just remind everybody roughly what the fiscal rules are, right, which is that you correct me if I'm wrong this You're the technical guy here, not me. One. That we need to be pushing towards the budget surplus by twenty nine thirty, so that spending is in surplus, although there's that sort of fluffy bit around what is spending and what is investment right, And the second major one is that public debt is a percentage of GDP needs to be beginning to trend down by twenty nine thirty, and looking at where we are now, that seems to be verging on impossible. And we had the the May borrowing numbers were horrible, weren't they much higher than expected? And nearly twelve billion pounds in May spend on interest on our debt alone, which is horrible. So you look at this stuff and you think, well, even if the Parma government had hung on and Reeves had hung on, this was still going to fail come twenty nine thirty unless there was a massive spending squeeze or some sort of bizarre boosting growth, which seems inconceivable. So that was already going to fail.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I think the only thing I caution there with is obviously the situation right now in the middle of the Irm war, and not all price spike et cetera. The inflation's picked up, so a lot of that may just be a temporary spike. The underlying state of the public finances does remain pretty dire. It was going to be very difficult for Starmer to deliver the fiscal rules and get growth going and get your investment up because there are so many pressures on all sorts of public spending at the moment.
Speaker 1: Okay, So let's assume that it is going to be Andy Burnham, of course, not absolutely certain yet that there could be a contestant. Then we get all kinds of spending commitments checked in from everyone trying to win, and everything gets what rather worse than we think. But let's assume that not going to happen. We have an orderly transition the bond market and the equity market. Figure that's kind of okay, because fiscal rules something some and so that all stairs relatively calm. When we look at what Burnamus talked about, He's talked about things like looking again at the freezers on income tax allowances. He's talked about reconsidering the inheritance tax charges on farmers. He's looked at talked about cutting business rates down for pubs and listening lifting threshold for small businesses. He's talked about reversing the rise in employers national insurance. But all these things would be marvelous because all of them have been fairly nasty drags on growth and on sentiment in the UK. But going back to this idea that there's very little room to do anything, it seems inconceivable that he could possibly do those things without also introducing new taxes, perhaps on wealth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's implausible to think that he can. He can make all these all these tax cuts for particicular sections of society and to help ease some of the pressures that on business without you know, without recovering the money from elsewhere. And we've and we've seen that no spending cuts seems to be it seemed to be pretty undeliverable in under this government with and you know, the makeup of the labor governments or the Labor Party, with the backbench rebellions still sort of brewing. Whenever there is talk of a spending cut, it's going to be the same problem that burn And faces in regard to that. So, yes, if there's going to be a tax cut, there's going to be a tax rise to pay for that tax cut. That that's the way if he's if he is honestly going to stick to the fiscal rules that Rachel Reeves is introduced, then, yeah, somebody is going to bear some pain to ease the pain on someone else.
Speaker 1: Looking at whether there's risers might come, and one of the things that he has previously suggested is reintroducing the fifty p rate of tax on higher earners.
Speaker 2: Doesn't make any money. I mean it doesn't. It never makes doesn't touch the size, does it, really.
Speaker 1: It doesn't touch the size. There was a wonderful article on the one of the papers at the weekend. I don't know if you saw it, and about gosh, I don't know, seven or eight years ago, ten years ago, whenever it was Scottish referendum, I write an article saying that taxes were going to go up in Scotland and that one should rush out and buy houses in Northumberland, just on the border, because that's where everybody would go. You know, the top rate of tax in Scotland is now forty eight percent and here's the headline, Scottish tax exiles flood into Northumberland. Families fleeing the SMP's higher rates are driving up president in Northumberland. So you know, fifty pm, we'd all be going the other way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, yes, gif for Scotland it would be a symbolic gesture rather than an attempt to reduce the constraints that he has, his fiscal constraints that he has. I think he's also talked about sort of doing the council tax revaluation. That again would be a shift in the balance of taxes because people in the borer regions would pay less than people in London, and the wealthier regions would end up paying more because their houses were valid more then, so that would be a redistributive operation. But he could you can also attach to that some some form of net tax increase as well, so I could you know, I could imagine him him doing something like that. And he's also talked about I mean, in the past he talked about ten percent inheritance tax on I think on all inheritance. So we've obviously got them, you know, up to a million pound before you you end up getting HD being incurred with inheritance tax. So and that he talked about that was in relation to social care in the past. So again that's a that could raise you know, substantial sums of money and as you said, is effectively a tax on inherited wealth.
Speaker 1: And that would be interesting because one of the things that people worry about all the time, absolutely NonStop is inheritance tax, even people whose estates will never fall into the inheritance tax, whereas you worry about it all the time, and suddenly he'd give them good reason to worry about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the last time they worried about it was with Terre's and May's dementia taxes, as Labor branded it back then, and it cost her majority, didn't it. So it's obviously, as we all know, it's the least one of the least popular time. This is the thing. There is economic restraint and then there's political constraint, and the two are sort of operating hand in hand. The physical situation rather than the fiscal rules in the UK is itself a massive constraint, and then the efforts to actually try and fix that have proved to be a huge political constraint. So you end up just in complete stalemate. And that's the big challenge for Burnham is how he breaks that stalemate where Starmer was unable to well.
Speaker 1: I suppose Ah could be super strong and just get on with it, But the obvious route then is to try and go down as we were just saying with the inheritance tax to try and go further down the wealth tax route, and he has talked about, for example, equalizing the rates on income tax and capital gains tax, which sounds very attractive to lots of people, but of course is fairly outrageous because that's an absolutely massive wealth tax. So when the rates of capital gains tax were were cut previously under Gordon Brown to what today's relatively low sounding levels, one of the things had happened at the same time was the removal of the indexing to inflation. And because the rates were lower, that was sort of vaguely acceptable because you're no longer you're paying a lower rate, but you're paying tax on your inflationary gains as opposed to your real gain. It was kind of a reasonable compromise. But if you were to put capital gains tax rates up to income tax rates without taking into account inflation, you have introduced, I mean, it's a wealth tax at the moment, but you would have introduced a massive wealth tax. And that we have few enough of our rich happily staying in the UK at the moment, this would be something I suspect that would really drive up departures.
Speaker 2: I mean a lot of small business owners. They make their money through taking capital gains on the businesses that the profits that they've made and the gains that they've made. I think people in general would see it as unfair if you had a capital gains tax which was unadjusted for inflation. Obviously, the people who are defending the idea will point back to Nigel Lawson in the nineteen eighties, and that was when capital gains tax was last The rates were drawn to be equivalent to the income tax rates, and so you know, there is a sort of you know, the labor can say, oh, well, the Tories did it, but of course back then there was the inflation adjustment. And the Liberal Democrats say in the election manifesto, in their election manifesto in twenty twenty four, they had something similar where they wanted to they wanted to harmonize the rates but with the income tax rates, but they would introduce in inflation adjustments. So for your thinking about doing this, you either do it the way he wants to do it and just irritate so many people that it will backfire inevitably, or you do it in a way The Liberal Democrats were suggesting which ends up raising you know, after behavioral adjustments or whatever. It only ends up raising it three or four billion, which is nice to have, but it doesn't solve everything. So it's not a big you know, it's not a big bazooka.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm One of the things that you will hear from wealth managers at the moment is that people refuse to take capital gains because they don't want to pay capital gains tax. So we have much lower turnover and possibly in the UK equity markets and other parts of the market than we would otherwise because people are very key not to take their capital gains tax. Of course, because because you pay both capital gains tax and inheritance tax, people are loath to pay capital gains tax when they know they're then going to have to pay inheritance tax. But of course capital gains are wiped out on death, so you only pay inheritance tax, so people will only want to pay one of those, not two of those. So if you put the rate of capital gains tax up, then that becomes even more of a problem. The behavior of stuff that it drives is really out of proportion to the to the tax.
Speaker 2: Well and actually on the behavioral stuff. It is a reminder that the hmrc's own estimates of harmonizing the CGT with the income tax rates are for there to be and you end up losing tax revenue because of this exact thing, because everybody just assumes we're gonna we're going to wait it out, We're not going to cash in anything, so there's no tax to be paid. And then you know, they hope for a Tory or reform government next time around who will just completely reverse the policy, which you know they will inevitably run on. And I mean they're also you know, they're saying now that they wouldn't wouldn't enforce such a right. So yeah, I mean, it doesn't, it doesn't work. And we saw some behavioral action by business owners and others a couple of years ago after it was anticipated that the capital gains tax would rise to everybody basically cashed in before the budget. So we've seen a massive spike in actual capital gains tax revenues and it's all been driven by behavioral stuff. So again, wealth tax is such a difficult one to actually guarantee you're going to get any income off because it is subject to so much behavioral change more constraints there.
Speaker 1: What is interesting here is the limited period. I mean, I know there's talk about how there's a possibility that Andy Burnham might call an election and we might have another general election. I'm not convinced on that one. I don't know how you feel about it. But barring that, we're only talking about a couple of years left in this term. And so the other conversation that is happening around Andy Burnham, and the thing that he's mentioned several times is the idea of introducing some kind of of land value tax. But of course this is an incredibly complicated thing to do, where you have to come up with a value for every single bit of land, because this is not a property tax. It's not about the value of houses. It's about the value of the land itself. And the idea of a land value tax is to is to charge you very much higher amounts for land in areas surrounded by state provided amenities, etc. To force you to make that land productive, so to prevent people from simply sitting or bits of land and not using them properly. But to introduce a tax like that, I mean that takes years. So I'm hearing lots of people worrying about a land value tax of what is going to be awful and how all this work and blah blah blah. But I suppose the answer in the end is that we've got a very short time period here and it probably wouldn't work. Don't need to worry about that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Well, as you say, the complications involved, you just thought it would be an obstacle in themselves to this. If he needs to win the next election, he needs to have done something by then.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: One of the other things people talking about is, you know, revaluing the council tax ban, so revaluing the entire housing stock in the UK so that the nineteen ninety three valuation estimates are updated for today. But that itself takes a long time, which probably which doesn't sound anything like as complicated as doing this kind of what is the amenity value of the local services that are provided by the state for the land, and then we'll tax a little bit of that. But if the council tax revaluation is going to know, would take a few years to do that. I mean that seems implausible that he'll be able to put in a land value tax and actually get anything out of it in time for an election.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So what do you think he does have scope to do if we're looking at you know, not as longer than two years here, and he needs to win the next election, and you know, let's say, let's say I'm putting this out here, that he actually manages to hang on for the full full period and we don't have another prime minister in six months or nine months or a year. So let's say it gets the whole lot. What could he conceivably do within the constraints of the fiscal rules that would actually be a effective and be reasonably popular. Yeah, I mean I'm coming up with nothing.
Speaker 2: By the way, I'm not sure what would necessarily be popular. They're going to have to touch spending in some way because you know, we have the tax burdeners is already going to be hitting you know, the highest since in the post war period. Debt is edging higher. It's getting up to very close one hundred percent of GDP. It's the deficit has been running at you know, five percent, between four and five percent for the last four or five years. I mean, it's completely and utterly unsustainable too. Then the idea that you can find a tax that is going to be an acceptable tax. I mean, I can imagine him increasing inheritance tax, for example, because unpopular as it is, it doesn't touch you immediately. It is something for the future. But the spending stuff, there's talk about the triple lock to try and restrain pension of spending again would be hugely unpopular because we saw that with the winter fuel a lance. Then you've obviously got the health benefits which have reached in reaching about one hundred sixty billion a year at the moment, going up to one hundred and ninety by the end of the parliament. I mean Jim O'Neil who's one of the advisors to Burnham at the moment, he was even saying, you know, you've got to touch these shibbles. You've got to say, you know, NHS spending. There has to be some constraint on NHS spending. And Burnham is the former Health Secretary who has said he you know, he dinede a ditch just to prevent prescription charges, et cetera. But there's people within the NHS talk about rationing some services because it's unaffordable. We've got this bow mool cost disease, which is developments in technology end up not leading to productivity gains but end up just being new technological costs to the service. So it's just, you know, you have this mushrooming NHS state. The one thing that I was thinking that he can do is just to race tax. If he's going to race tax, he's just got a race tax on everyone. And then that would require him to say special measures everybody, everyone who is paying tax is going to have to pay an extra two percent on the on the basic rate, and make it, you know, a national project where you know, you're not going to be singling out sections of society and saying, you know, we're picking on you because we need to fix the you know, fix this country. We're going to pick on everyone because this is a national this is a national requirement.
Speaker 1: And at some point that has to stop, as you said, at some point it has to come back to spending. Spending has to be reduced. At some point someone has to tackle well for spending. Someone has to tackle the NHL. Someone has to look at this properly. You can't just keep saying taxes up, taxes up, taxes up. And if he puts up taxes across the board, and there is this brilly interesting conversation going on in the UK about who is over taxed and who is under taxed, and it you know, we don't have a very good system of taxing everybody. The burden is very very very heavy on the well off and not particularly heavy by international standards on everybody else. But then you come back to the fact that an awful lot of the things that people are expected to pay for themselves in the UK and finance out of general taxation in other countries, and in particular ort to enrollment, there's you know, paying paying into your pension in the way that we do in the UK. That's not necessarily the case in Europe. And the same with university education, which we pay for here at our own pockets, and people don't necessarily not enough, by the way, but we pay for our own pockets, which people in Europe do not. And then this dentistry and you know, various other things that come out of general taxation out elsewhere but not in the UK. So if you look at it in the round, very hard to say that any part of the UK population is undertaxed, maybe over benefited, but not necessarily undertaxed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. They're almost hidden taxes, aren't they. And then of course you've got these levees on the for businesses, on energy levees, climate change levees and stuff, and even on the house even on household bills. You've got them so that some of them anyway are addition are effectively additional hidden taxes.
Speaker 1: So I mean, I think one of the things that you could say, Andy of you on this is you you could could have a go at net zero and you know, the interesting thing is that if Millivan becomes Chancellor, then we double down on net zero in a well, we probably do, and that is one of the things that's adding or our rush to net zero is adding hugely to our energy built because the infrastructure required and the various levees et cetera. Calming down on that slightly might be one thing that could bring down built across the board.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is that's an easy, easy one. What the tour is just one in Aberdeen? Didn't they the South because on this campaign to get drilling in the North Sea again? And I mean, yeah, I mean this one, I just don't understand it because obviously you can you can raise a bit of tax revenue. And also instead of having to you know, pump little ship you container loads of oil to the UK or whatever you you'll you'll be going to get more domestically. So I don't don't I don't see. I don't see why bring it in by ship is any better than just getting it out of our own reserves. So and you get more tax revenue for it. So that one, that's that seems to me like an obvious easy one. Again, you're not gonna it's not going to be game changing, but it'll be helpful.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I'm not sure that we've really made our listeners feel particularly optersted today.
Speaker 2: There's another a lot of optimsm going around. I know I've had one thought I've had maybe, which is is could Burnham just be a lucky general? We know Starmo is so dismally unlucky with the with the international backdrop, as well as making such a terrible series of errors that Burnham has got a template for what not to do, as in the policy options that Starma shows have just beware of, like walking into land mines. And then also if you know the Iran Iran waris is going to be resolved, and if Ukraine Russia just sort of sort of fades fades back again, and you know, Trump's unable to do more kind of crazy stuff because of the midterms. And we've seen the data stand a.
Speaker 1: Little bit better.
Speaker 2: We've got inflation is a bit lower than was expected, there's signs of signs of life in the jobs market. You know, you could actually just see a situation where Burnham gets lucky and you get you just get that little spurred of growth which probably delivers as much tax revenue as all of these little things that we've talked about put together. So that's my optimistic hopeful hat.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I think will end there, and I appreciate the optimism there, but I don't think I'm particularly happy when the best we can hopeful from our new prime minister is he gets a little bit of geopolitical luck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wishful. Thank you is exactly Yeah. It's not a strategy.
Speaker 1: It's not a strategy, but maybe it would be something. Well, thank you so much for joining us today. Thanks listening to this week's Maren Talk to Your Money. If you like us, your rate review and subscribe whereever you listen to the podcasts. Also be sure to follow me and John on X or Twitter. Marens w and John Underscore, Stepic and Phil, I know you are on Twitter. What is it?
Speaker 2: Pat?
Speaker 1: Phil Aldrick?
Speaker 2: Simple?
Speaker 1: Excellent, Thank you. This episode was produced by Samasadi and Moses and I'm sound designed by Aaron Kasper. Questions and comments in the show and all our shows are always welcome, and of course we would love to hear any of your ideas that Andy Burnham might actually be able to make things better our show email is Merror Money at bloom Berg dot netm