Speaker 1: Welcome to the Truth with Lisa Booth. Today, we're joined by Tiffany Justice. She's the co founder of Moms for Liberty. You know her, we've had her on the show before.
Speaker 2: She is great.
Speaker 1: She's also a visiting fellow at the Heritage Foundation as well. Today we're going to pack the explosive My Mood versus Taylor Supreme Court case. So this battle pits Maryland parents against a school district that eliminated their right to opt out their kids, their young kids out of curriculum featuring LGBTQ plus inclusive books. Now, the school district originally let the parents opt out and then change that decision. So we're going to cover all the angles of this story, from parental rights and religious liberty to the broader fight against gender ideology, and and Tiffany's going to break down what's at stake, why the school district is digging in, you know, why did they allow parents stopped out and then change their tune?
Speaker 2: What's that about? And then also how could this.
Speaker 1: Case reshape the feet future of education as well as parental rights. So buckle up, we're going to get the truth on this case and it's broader implications for you parents, stay tuned for tifty Justice Tiffany, It's great to have you on the show. I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to say about this case. Let's before the Supreme Court right now. So thanks for taking the time.
Speaker 2: You're welcome. Yeah, last week oral arguments and Mavu v.
Speaker 3: Taylor, a case Lisa that really originated in Maryland in a school district. There Moms for Liberty held at town Hall in September of last year, and we were hearing from parents, Jewish parents, Catholic parents, Muslim parents, parents who really didn't have any religion in their lives that they were really concerned that their parental rights were being violated and that there was really inappropriate content being introduced in classrooms as young as kindergarten er pre k this Pride storybook collection. So the parents asked for they had an opt out and then the opt out was taken away. They asked for it to be put back. School district said no, and so they have taken They sued the school district and now all the way to the Supreme Court. So yeah, those oral arguments were just fascinating to listen to last week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's interesting to your point. In twenty twenty two, Montgomery County County Public Schools added these LGBTQ plus books to its curriculum for pre K through fifth grade. As you pointed out, they initially allowed the parental op outs, and then in March twenty twenty three, the school board eliminated that option, which was what prompted this lawsuit. Why do you think they went from allowing the opt out to not allowing it.
Speaker 2: It's a really good question, and I think it goes to the heart.
Speaker 3: Of what you know, Justice Barrett and some others Kavanaugh were getting at, which was is this merely exposure to this content or is.
Speaker 2: There ideological indoctrination happening?
Speaker 3: Is there coercion happening where the school district feels that it's very important board fields it's important for this subject matter to be taught to children, And you know, I think it's important. When you look at LGBTQ, there's lgb which is sexual orientation. Then you have this tea which is transgender. And you know, Lisa, I've been really honest about saying I don't believe there's anything such as a transgender child. We have kids who have a mental distress, they feel some incongruence between their biological sex and what they think is their gendered soul or their gender identity. But you know, make no mistake, men can never be women and vice versa. And so you have this situation where it's very clear that Montgomery County Public Schools that allows opt outs for a new number of other things, dissections of animals, even a health and sexuality education that happens in like fifth grade there.
Speaker 2: But in this instance, yeah, no opt outs. And it was interesting.
Speaker 3: One of the things that was brought up by the school district in the case when it was in the fourth Circuit before it came to the Supreme Court.
Speaker 2: But then the lawyers brought.
Speaker 3: Up again was this idea of there were too many kids opting out, so it was really hard for the school district to be able to handle all of the opt outs.
Speaker 2: And I just feel, you know.
Speaker 3: Isn't that a sign from the community that the school district, which is supposed to represent the wants of the parents of the needs of the children, is really out of line and out of touch with their community members.
Speaker 1: And what's interesting is some of these examples include, you know, uncle Bobby's wedding, a story about a girl attending or uncle's same sex wedding, or Pride Puppy features a puppy loss during Pride Pride Parade intersection Allies My Rainbow, which explores gender identity. That's for second grade.
Speaker 2: What's interesting is if you.
Speaker 1: Look at the plaintiffs, it's a really diverse group of people. Yeah, we're talking about, you know, a Muslim family, a Roman Catholic family. So I think that, you know, that also makes this case particularly interesting as well. It's not you know, one particular, one particular religious group that is expressing concern here.
Speaker 2: You're right.
Speaker 3: Justice Kagan actually said though, and you know, normally a fairly left linging or liberal judge said, you know, I would imagine that there were parents who were religious that have an issue with this subject matter being introduced in element school. And that's very, very true. The least interesting thing about a child should be their sexual orientation, and the idea that somehow a teacher is talking about their own sexual orientation in the classroom will be completely inappropriate. You know, Maryland public schools not doing very great as far as reading in math is concerned. Once the third in the nation in twenty thirteen, now I think it was in twenty twenty two, had dropped to like in the twentieth percent Chile the twentieth of all of the states. So not really killing it on the academic side. So one has to wonder why they have so much time for all of this.
Speaker 1: Well, it's like what child pre k through fifth grade understands what sexual orientation means or is or you know, like what child that young is even thinking these these things at that age, and.
Speaker 3: What adult wants to talk to a child about sexual orientation?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: And so again, you know, I think it was just as Roberts that was kind of going through some of the books, and you know, Lisa, you know, I've been moms across the country have been really concerned about the subject matter that is in the public library, excuse me, in the school public school libraries.
Speaker 2: Right. But it was I'm not.
Speaker 3: Going to lie a little vindicating to hear that the justices, you know, kind of surprised about the content in the books, just as Robert's question and said, so they're asking the kids and it's a pre k book, Pride Puppy to point out leather, And I think he said sex sex worker, and the lawyer for Montgomery County Public School said, well, the leather's a leather jacket, not bondage. And you know it's not a sex worker, it's a drag queen. And then it's like, Okay, why do we need to talk to four year olds about drag queens?
Speaker 2: How is this appropriate?
Speaker 1: Well, it's almost like the point is to force the issue and to force the conversation, to like force a child to be exposed to something that they're too young for.
Speaker 3: Well, and I think that's the point, right, And again that's what Jessice Barrett was getting at. She said, you know, it's one thing to say some people think X and some people think why, and people think different things. It's another thing to say some people think X and some people think why. And if you don't think X, then you're a hateful bigot. And the issue of this idea of the school district using I think it was either Justice or Leito or Gorsich that said in temperate language against the parents. When the case was going through the fourth circuit, there were some comments made about the Muslim parents, comparing them to the KKK and calling them a hate group because they didn't want this subject matter taught to their kids. And so you know, there is an intentional war on parental rights and on family happening in America. We can see it all over the country. You have that case in Colorado right now. The law that is being pat that you know, the governor may sign that says that if you're a parent and you don't want to affirm your child's want of changing their gender, that somehow you might lose custody of your child or that might be considered abuse. And so, you know, this idea of sexualizing children, blurring the lines between adult and child, even going so far as when you look at you know, the idea of a pedophile being you know, reclassified as a map. They call it minor attracted person. I think parents are just like you know, pushing the brakes and saying, wait a second here, these are our kids. We're really concerned about the content that's being taught in these schools, the subject matter that's being introduced to them. And when there's anything that's you know, going outside of reading, writing and math, we want to say in it. And if we don't like it, you know, we want to be able to opt the kids out. Justice Kavanaugh asked during the oral arguments, he said, is this really the hill that Montgomery County Public Schools is going to die on? A state that was founded on religious liberty Catholics, you know, founding Maryland and now all of a sudden, you know, no opt out specifically for this subject matter. You know, he said, I think I think the word he used was he was mystified.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, you know, it does kind of mystify. You know, it is really interesting why they want to die on this hill. Although we say, you know, the plaintiffs in this case, the parents, the lost, but in the federal District court as well as the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals. I assume now because there were before a more conservative Supreme Court, you know, how are they feeling about this? There are the chances pretty high that you know, the win. And yeah, since.
Speaker 3: Everything that we've seen, it looks good, right. You know, I've been watching a lot of different commentators. You know, Jonathan Turley's talked about it a little bit. He's a expert on the Supreme Court. He said, he really feels like the parents are going to win here. It'll be interesting to see what the ruling is if it's six' three maybe seven to. Two Maybe kagan decides that she feels like this information is going too far and parents should be able to opt. Out and let's you, know be clear about. That they're just asking for an opt. Out the parents aren't asking to change with the subject matter.
Speaker 2: Is in the schools that's being.
Speaker 3: Covered they just want to be able to remove their children and that subject matter is being.
Speaker 2: INTRODUCED i would take it one step.
Speaker 3: Further one of the QUESTIONS i think it Was Kagan jackson And sodomayor, asked, was you, know, well where's the line here so parents could just opt out of?
Speaker 2: Anything so, Too mayor went as far as to.
Speaker 3: Say, well what if parents want to opt out of Interracial well that's, ridiculous you, know comparing the idea of gender identity or gender ideology to interrational marriage is, nonsense because gender ideology is a, lie you. Know and my question back to, Them, lisa would be, this when what can schools lie to kids?
Speaker 2: About where's the.
Speaker 3: Line between teaching the truth and teaching a? Lie and, then you, know because there, again gender ideology is pseudoscientific.
Speaker 2: Nonsense there are men and there are. Women there's no such thing as.
Speaker 3: Transgender the idea that you could change your biological, sex it's just. Crazy and the fact that we're introducing this to children is really child, abuse in my. Opinion so it'll be really interesting to see what happens in this. Case but going further than, THAT i think we need to have a very big conversation about gender, ideology and as far As i'm, concerned it just has no place in public.
Speaker 2: Schools we've got More tiffany.
Speaker 1: Justice but, FIRST i want to tell you a great. Story it's, heartwarming it's, refreshing but most, importantly it's.
Speaker 2: True so get.
Speaker 1: THIS a lady Named phyllis walks into the neighborhood pharmacy In, Colonia New, jersey and she asked the pharmacist for an antioxidant cream for her. Wrinkles the pharmacist, SAYS i don't have one right, now but i'll compound one for you come back. Tomorrow So phyllis goes and gets the. Cream she uses it for three, days and then she goes to a dermatology appointment and the, dermatologist just by looking at her thinks that she got work. Done So philis then goes and tells everyone about the, pharmacy about the pharmacist who makes this magical. Cream that's believe it or, not How genucell's skincare was, born and that was twenty five years. Ago genucell has shipped millions of, orders yet they still have that same philosophy of, antioxidants that same natural, base that same chef in the, kitchen and now celebrating twenty five, Years genucell is offering the best pricing since philis walked Into george's pharmacy all those years, ago and right now you can save over seventy percent Off genusll's complete skincare package featuring the Genu cell Under eyebags And puffiness, serum THE Xv Hydrating moisturizer which gives you immediate effects for results in just. Minutes you can look, five, ten even fifteen years. Younger guaranteed or your money. Back go to genucell dot com Slash. Lisa that's genucell dot com Slash. Lisa every order includes free shipping and Use lisa at checkout for an extra. Discount genucell dot com Slash. Lisa that's genucell dot com Slash. Lisa, well this is really just part of this broader parental rights conversation we've been. HAVING i, mean we even saw this play out in The virginia gubernatorial race Between terry mccaulliffe And Glenn. Yanka And terry mcculliffe was basically, like parents, shouldn't you, know shouldn't be in control of what their kids are being taught in the school. SYSTEM i, mean this kind of like started more DURING covid and it in terms of the parents really just saying what their kids were being.
Speaker 3: Taught, yeah parents were sitting at their kitchen table with their, kids, right moms and, dads, everybody the world Stops march, thirteenth twenty. Twenty all the kids go on to zoom and the parents are sitting there watching what their children are learning and seeing where they have to efficiencies in, reading, writing and. Math but then also this subject, matter very divisive subject subject, matter Anti, american Anti, god anti. Family parents started to get really concerned and. Upset and you're, Right Governor youngkin And terry. Mccauliffe you, know When Governor youngkin, won he was standing up and, saying, NO i do believe that parents should have a say in what their kids. LEARN i think the conversation becomes broader and we start talking about school. Choice just As jackson said in her in The Oral, arguments, well you, know if a parent doesn't like what's being, taught well then they should just.
Speaker 2: Homeschool they should just you, know not send their kids to that.
Speaker 3: School well it's easy for her to, say first of, all she sent her kids to private.
Speaker 2: School that's.
Speaker 3: Interesting not of a parent can afford private, school and there isn't school choice In. Maryland BUT i think this will play into a larger conversation about school.
Speaker 2: Choice President trump.
Speaker 3: Has been very, clear even in conversations with, me about the fact that he thinks every parent should have the, fund has the fundamental right to direct the education of their. Kids he wants to give us much opportunity at school choices possible to. Families SO i think this will be part of a larger conversation of, parents you, know being able to select schools at one unfold the full academic potential of their, child but two reflect the values that they hold dear in their.
Speaker 1: HOME i think it's also this broader effort to try to like tear families, apart you, know because if you look at states Like, california where you, know the school doesn't have to notify the parents if the student changes their name or their. Gender you, know if you Tell paulina so you can Be Paul and by the, way like you don't have to go home and tell your. PARENTS i mean that creates a division in the. FAMILY i mean you're really pitting like the state and the child versus the parent and the family.
Speaker 3: Structure, yeah we used to call people that told kids to keep secrets from their parents'. Predators the idea that you have government schools that are encouraging children to keep secrets from their, families to lie to their, parents to lead a double life in, school using a name in pronouns at school that are different than the name and pronouns used by the school with.
Speaker 2: The, parents and is.
Speaker 3: Crazy these are government, Schools they are funded by taxpayer. Dollars teachers are government, employees and so the idea this is happening is.
Speaker 2: Nuts you're.
Speaker 3: Right In california and other, states there has been a push to drive a wedge between the parent and the. Child and you, KNOW i, MEAN i look At Randy, weingarten head of the teachers'. Union she's not having her own, kids they want, ours and they want to indoctrinate them in a very socialist way of, government in a way of looking at the. WORLD i, MEAN i DARE i say, communists? Right and so there are things that are happening across public schools In america right now that parents should be really concerned. About there's this push for something called community schools where they want to put school based health clinics into the. Schools, well when you have agents of informed, consent that's when a child can give consent to medications and other things on their own at the age of twelve, sometimes and then you have school based health clinics with you, know public private, partnerships people Like Planned parenthood coming into your school and being able to have interactions with your students without your knowledge and. Consent it gets really. Concerning so parents need to be paying. Attention the interesting thing when you look At, california for, example is that our good Friend Governor newsom or As President trump likes to call, Him Governor. Newscomb you, know if you look at what happened In, california there was a similar bill that passed The senate in The house In california to this one In colorado That i'm talking about currently that's going to be is being actually heard in committee of The, SENATE i believe. Tomorrow But Governor newsom didn't sign that bill into. Law he has his eyes on the presidency and SO i think he knows this issue overwhelmingly is something that people In america don't. Support people don't want girls and boys, sports they don't want you, know secrets being kept from them by government. Schools and So Governor newsom did not sign that.
Speaker 2: Bill he vetoed. It it'll be interesting to see What Governor polus. Does he, ALSO i think.
Speaker 3: Has political aspirations to make it to The White house and so signing these types of bills that are really on. Popular so you have very progressive you Know house and said it In colorado pushing this, bill just like In. California and it seems like The Democratic party is going to split because really elected officials, know but you, know governed at the governor, level that this stuff is just not things that Broadly americans.
Speaker 1: Support well that's interesting, too because when you dig into some of these other books that have been the point of discussion with, you With moms Of liberty and just elsewhere in the, country Like Gender, queer which contains explicit illustrations of oral sex and, masturbation or you, know Law envoy descriptions of sex between men and, children which is disgusting obviously, pedophila. Pedophilia you know these books that were you, know probably shouldn't be written period in my, opinion but definitely should. Not kids shouldn't have access to or you, know even young you know in the school system should not have access. TO i, mean it seems like the point is to strip a child of his or her, innocence because is if you're that young and you get access to a book like, THIS i, mean how are you not depriving the trial of their.
Speaker 3: Innocence you're, right they're robbing kids of their, childhood and they're really stealing the joys of sex from kids from like as a young adolescence, too. RIGHT i, mean you remember in high school your first kiss and all of those things that we're exciting and new and you, know you discover it and all of a, sudden now at you, know at eleven years, old this book is being shoved in front of you without this graphic sexual, content and they're you, know rampant. Pornography obviously online that you, know children oftentimes have access to, unfortunately AND i know there are a lot of bills to try to address. THAT i think you're right, ultimately you, know one of the goals of communism is to destabilize the, family and by destabilizing the youth and making them h you, know reject the tradition of, home reject, religion, uh you, know really blurring the line between parent and. Child we didn't talk about THE i mean parent child and. A we didn't talk about THE q part OF, lgbtq but we.
Speaker 2: Can for a. Second that's queer. Theory there's no limiting.
Speaker 3: Principles why that flag constantly changes and so AGAIN i talked about that minor attracted person, that you, know just destigmatizing anything that isn't normal and. Traditional that's the goal of queer. Theory, again AS i, said there's no limiting principle. There so the worst of what you can, imagine people Like Michelle bluco and, Others Judith, butler you, know do a little studying about queer. THEORY i did a podcast once with a, Gentleman Derek, jensen who talked about the depths of queer, theory which is pretty, dark and so there's a real undercurrent here of something THAT i think a lot of people would define as, evil but without a doubt it's completely. Inappropriated, YEAH i, mean let kids be. Kids you, know we need to protect that time in their. Lives and who's going to protect it more than a parent, Honestly so we have to rise.
Speaker 2: Up, well it's like kind.
Speaker 1: Of funny because like the point is to keep it so, confusing where like they keep adding like plus, minus you, know all these different things and change the flag, constantly you, know the Gay pride, flag so it's like no one even knows what the hell any of it. Means and then if you like question, it well you're a bigot for. Queeno like, right it's kind of, like, yeah this chaotic like crazy thing to make it so confusing and, chaotic and then to question something which is so ridiculous on its, face and then you, know smack a label on you for questioning that something on its face that's just complicated and you, know chaotic to begin.
Speaker 3: With, Yeah Babylon be put out a you, know a meme andut it SAID lgbtq PLUS ms thirteen and it really kind of drives home the point that the issue is never the.
Speaker 2: Issue the issue is always the.
Speaker 3: Revolution so that's why you see queers For palestine right where you, know a gay person In palestine wouldn't make it very long openly, gay but somehow In, america you, know those two things, converge and so.
Speaker 2: The issue is never the. Issue the issue is always.
Speaker 3: Revolution it's whatever is useful to Disrupt western. Civilization and you know it's going to take, again AS i, said just people standing up and saying, no we Love, America we're proud of our. COUNTRY i think it's really interesting that you have this really massive attack On western civilization In america as we know, it while you have this amazing, president, Right President, trump who's bringing Back Columbus, day and we're on the cusp of celebrating the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of our nation Of. America and so it's going to be a very interesting few. Years President trump is working. HARD i think for anyone who voted for, him we need to remember that we need to help him keep the will of the.
Speaker 2: People you, know they may take some sacrifice in the short.
Speaker 3: Term there's no doubt that some of the decisions that he's making are going to have an impact on our lives and our ability to do certain. Things you, know the, tariffs there's a lot of uncertainty around, that but, ultimately you, know we need to.
Speaker 2: Sacrifice for our.
Speaker 3: Country we need to create a brighter future for our, children AND i Think american parents are here for the long.
Speaker 1: Haul we've got to take a quick commercial. Break more With Tiffany. Justice, also if you like this, episode please share it with your friends or. Family shared on social media as. Well any love is. Appreciated what do you think the broader implications are of This mamude Versus taylor? Case if the parents are, victorious, WELL i think it's going.
Speaker 3: To be a real sign to school districts across the country that parents do have parental.
Speaker 2: Rights in, fact there's been some question to.
Speaker 3: That we also have seen some really crazy judicial decisions being made in lower, courts and, so you, KNOW i think that there's something called The Family rights And Responsibilities. Acts that line Is Defending freedom put out that said to federal courts at least that they need to use strict. Scrutiny they need to apply strict scrutiny when looking at anything having to do with parental. Rights that means that the burden is on the, state not the, parents to prove that they have the right to direct the upbring of their. Child i've said, before it's a fundamental. Right that means that the government doesn't give it to. You it's given to you By god. Right so the idea that the government takes it away indy capacity is. Ridiculous, now you don't have the right to abuse your. Child so something like gender or firming, care which we know is a horrible puberty blockers cross.
Speaker 2: Sex foremones can't do.
Speaker 3: That but you know that that should be the very worst of what's happening to a, child to have a parent harm them in that.
Speaker 2: Way and SO i think that the implications will be.
Speaker 3: Broad it will send a message to school districts that they need to respect parential, rights and that is a huge. Win and, then you, Know, LISA i think we built from. THERE i think we do push to continue to remove certain content from, classrooms AND i think you're going to see other cases make it to The Supreme court around the issue of parential rights in a lot of different.
Speaker 1: Ways who's winning this fight right?
Speaker 2: Now moms and, Dads my money's on moms and.
Speaker 3: Dads nobody's going to fight for anything like a parent is going to fight for their. Kids we have a president who believes in, parents has backed us one hundred.
Speaker 2: Percent we have The house and The.
Speaker 3: Senate it would be nice to see them taking some action to codify some of these executive orders into, law and you have parents standing up all over the. Country i'll bring Up colorado. Again people are standing up and fighting In. Colorado you have a very Progressive house And senate In, colorado but you have a governor who knows MAYBE i should sign that bill right that may not be good for my political. Future so you, know people just need to stand up and band. Together because if you're thinking that it's inappropriate for a child to read, about you, know sex toys in a, classroom that you're probably not the only.
Speaker 2: One.
Speaker 1: YEAH i mean it is kind of funny because DURING, covid it was like wear your mask and people are like, okay and they're like social distance and people are like, okay and then they like get the. Vaccine they're. Okay but then once they saw what their kids were being, taught they're, like, oh, heck, no you know that's, right you, know like they took the beating until it reached their kids and then you, know and then that's when people started or you, know standing up for kids getting back to school and things like. That So Tiffty, justice you're. Great appreciate the work that you're, doing and really appreciate you making the time to come on the.
Speaker 2: Show thank you for having, Me. Lisa that Was Tiffany.
Speaker 1: Justice appreciate her for making the time to come on the. Show appreciate you guys at home for. Listening Read tuesday And, thursday but you can listen throughout the week until next. Time