Speaker 1: Hey Sabrina, Hey will Well, We're back with yet another Is it summer or is it winter sport movie kind of combination of which do you prefer?
Speaker 2: So just asking flat out, summer sports or winter sports? What do you like better?
Speaker 3: Ooh, I'm a winter sport gal, I think as far. I love snowboarding. I am not somebody who goes out there at the age I am doing rails and pipes or anything like that. I might hit a tiny jump here and there, but I love snowboarding so much. I love being out on the mountain. I love the scenery. You know, everything about it is just my That's what Jordan and I love. Do we do a big this last year we went to Aspen. The year before we went to Mammoth, Like, we just tried to do at least one big trip to like a really awesome mountain. You know, we go to big beer all the time, but it's not the same like those big resorts, So that is definitely it. I used to wakeboard when I was younger. The last time I did, I could barely get up, So yeah, I just I don't know why, but you know, I only had one day out there. I think if I continued to do it, it'd come back. I had my own board back in the day and did that a lot. I surfed a long board, so I kind of like both of them. But for right now, in this era of my life, it's snowboarding.
Speaker 2: What about you? Oh no, I don't leave the house. Oh right, yeah, So that's you know.
Speaker 1: And also it's easier for somebody like you and Jordan for where you live to love winter sports because you get to go drive to the winter sports and go have fun with the winter sports and then go back to your beautiful southern California home.
Speaker 2: Where absolutely if you're raised.
Speaker 1: In winter like I was, sometimes it's by the ninth day of snow you're like, I'm over this. I don't want to drive in it. I don't want it. It's all over my boots.
Speaker 3: It's all like like, yeah, I couldn't exactly. I do not drive in the snow at all. So I don't think I could live in it for an like, actually actually live in it. I could go there for a long period, but not living.
Speaker 2: It like I miss it sometimes.
Speaker 3: But in this movie, all I kept thinking is, oh my god, how amazing it would be to film in an area with just snow and like live in it for weeks.
Speaker 2: You know, say that I want to come home.
Speaker 1: But it's not just that, but it's also you know how boring shooting movies are.
Speaker 2: So half the time you're just sitting there cold.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'm sure you're not actually allowed to go and actually snowboard right while you're seriously too scary for you to get to get hurt. So I know, but oh man, this one gave me I had. I was a little green with being able to be in this gorgeous resort that this movie was filmed in.
Speaker 1: Michael, let's get into it and see what we're talking about. So, first of all, welcome back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pjs, and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses were smart.
Speaker 2: The wave tsunamis, and the high school's musical.
Speaker 3: I'm Wilford Dell and I'm Sabrina Brian.
Speaker 1: This week we hit the slopes for some fresh powder and another entry into the tradition of dcom's about sports. I feel like I'm back in a warm tub. Every time it's a dcom about a sport, it's the twenty fourteen snowboarding movie Cloud Nine, which I frankly thought was just a really good strain of weed.
Speaker 2: We have talked about our own snowboarding.
Speaker 1: And skiing histories on the podcast when we recap Johnny Tsunami two. But knowing I'm originally from a cold climate, New Sabrina are for the sunny beaches of Orange County, We've already talked about how.
Speaker 2: Very different our upbringings were.
Speaker 1: Cloud Nine originally aired on January seventeen, twenty fourteen, both on the Disney Channel and Family Channel. That might be the first time we've heard that y smack dab in winter. While the first promotional ad air during the holiday premiere of Good Luck Jesse, New York City Christmas.
Speaker 2: Guessing we're gonna cover that at some point.
Speaker 1: No shock here, but the movie was filmed in Uttah is how it's pronounced. No, it's Utah, not only the most common location for d comms, but the best for when your script requires snow. They utilize ski resorts like Brighton Ski Resort, Solitude Mountain Resort, and Park City Mountain Resort.
Speaker 2: So just Sabrina's dream over and over and over.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've snowboarded both Bright and Parks.
Speaker 2: Oh that's cool.
Speaker 1: Uh, I have not never been in a snowboard in my life. And before filming the actors went through a grueling two week snowboarding trading camp. But still even with the prep, pros were of course hired as stunt doubles for the more advanced halfpipe tricks, which of course makes sense because it seems real dangerous. And another reason this movie was a priority for the channel was its two high profile executive producers. One was a dcom legend Sharpey herself high school musical is Ashley Tisdale, and the other an Olympic goal medalist Sean White. So a pretty good team if you ask me, and the duo proved to be a pretty good success, bringing in just under five million viewers for the premiere and undeniably strong number for the era. It was the second most watched telecast of the season across all networks in the demographics of kids two to eleven and kids six to eleven. Okay, that's a weird way of saying it. Why not just say two to eleven, because isn't two to eleven also six to eleven?
Speaker 2: It is?
Speaker 1: And it grossed almost two million dollars in domestic home video sales, so I think it's safe to say the studio was on cloud nine about.
Speaker 2: Cloud nine, Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: See what you did there?
Speaker 2: You did you good.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you're picking up when I'm putting down, especially since the movie is reported to have only cost somewhere between four and five million to make, which again seemed like a lot for a dcom.
Speaker 2: For US, but now in twenty fourteen, that's a tiny little bit.
Speaker 1: And since it's a more modern dcom, that means it had a theme song sung by its stars, and this time the Bop shared its title with the movie. It's Cloud nine by Dove Cameron and Luke Benward, two young stars we'll talk about later. The movie also features songs by Nicky Flores, is it DNC or Denis super Chick and some group called Crankheads Wow and already in twenty fourteen hours old because I know none of that. It also includes the track one Girl Revolution, which is played during the fire and Ice competition. Fans might recognize it as the same track used during the Drill Team finale in the classic two thousand and two Disney Channel movie Cadet Kelly. So there you go, Sabrina common question ask it all the time. What do you know about Cloud Nine before it was added to our homework?
Speaker 3: I knew nothing, nothing, but I was stoked when I pulled it up and saw we were watching a snowboarding by back.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you were so happy.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. Yeh.
Speaker 3: Can we get more of it than we did in Johnny Tsunami?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, there's like snowboarding snowboarding, which is good again to me. Cloud nine was a really nice indica that gives you the right buzz.
Speaker 2: But hey, you're not too high.
Speaker 1: You can watch Cloud Nine right now. It's streaming on Disney Plus. But just log into the app. Make a left to go about three blocks, and if you see the Jiffy Lube you've gone too far.
Speaker 2: Then make a left on Pepperidge Boulevard and count three stop signs, not two, not four to three. When you hit that, make a U turn.
Speaker 1: Look for the houses with the giant stormics snowboard outside, and that's the movie. You can watch it now, watch it later, but don't get lost, and now walk your dog on a sled right up to the movie.
Speaker 2: Synopsis.
Speaker 1: Kayla Morgan's confidence is shaken when it comes to snowboarding, so she turns to retired champion Will Cloud for help. As the two push each other on and off the slopes, they figure out who they are beyond just winning.
Speaker 2: Sabrina Early opinions, what do you think of Cloud nine?
Speaker 3: I was excited to see Douve Cameron. We haven't seen her since, you know, watching The Descendants, and she's such an adorable little ash.
Speaker 2: That's great, She's great.
Speaker 3: And again seeing another one of our dcom daddy Paul Holman, I was so stoked up up top up front.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: From the beginning, we got a lot of the snowboarding elements, which I just was. I was hooked right from the start.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what about you, Like I said, slipping into a warm bath.
Speaker 1: There's something very comforting about a d com that is, I say, by the numbers, but it's by the numbers. You know it's going to happen. There's never a moment in this movie. It is a d com about sports. You know that somebody's gonna find that there's gonna be a bad team, there's gonna be a good team, there's gonna be a Championship.
Speaker 2: At the end they're going to run and I have no problem with any of that.
Speaker 1: It was it was exactly what I expected.
Speaker 2: So, as Sabrina said, guys, this is not a drill.
Speaker 1: Cloud nine was directed by the d com Daddy the argument to make the D and d com stand for director.
Speaker 2: That's right. Our pal Paul Howen.
Speaker 1: The most prolific director of the genre, was behind titles like and again say them along with Me because we save them all the time. Eddie's a million dollar Cookoff, The Luck of the Irish, Jump In, Let It Shine, True Confessions, The Cheetah Girls, One World, and somehow even more than that. And now he's currently the creative force behind the extremely lucrative Zombies franchise. And again, as we've talked at, we have Dove Cameron is Kayla a classic actress slash pop star hybrid from the Disney System. She first broke out on the Channel as one half of Liv and Maddie, the show.
Speaker 2: That ran from twenty thirteen to twenty seventeen, but.
Speaker 1: Now she's best known as mal the iconic star of the Descendants franchise. She released music throughout the years as well, and most recently appeared in the very non Disney TV show fifty six Days on Amazon Prime and I'm just gonna thank god I don't have to take a shot every time I read something I've never heard of before, because I would already be drunk. Her co star is Luke Benward, who plays Will Cloud. Luke made his debut as Mel Gibson's son in the two thousand and two movie We Were Soldiers, but we know him best from his role in the two thousand and eight d com Mini Men. He also appeared in How To Eat Fried Worms and a Jennifer Andison movie again I've never heard of called Dumpling Shoot Shot.
Speaker 3: Uh it's a good movie.
Speaker 2: You've heard of Dumpling?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: Huh?
Speaker 2: Okay Wow. Mike Manning plays Nick Swift.
Speaker 1: Manning was first seen on MTV's Real World DC in two thousand and nine and has since been seen on Hawaii, Teen Wolf and Days of Our Lives. He is also an Emmy winning producer for a crime drama called The Bay, and he also made a documentary with friend of the show Lance Bass called Kidnapped for Christ. It details the experience of teenagers who were removed from their homes and sent to behavior modification schools in the Dominican Republic.
Speaker 2: Yikes.
Speaker 1: Kersey Clemens is Sky Sailor. Keirsey is best known as Diggy from the show Dope Shot Shot Shot, but was also on Disney's Austin and Alley, Monarch Legacy of Monsters on Apple, and she is in.
Speaker 2: Zack Snyder's Justice League. Hey, it's a couple, I know. Patrick Fabian is Richard Morgan.
Speaker 1: Fabian is best known as Attorney Howard Hamlin on Better Call Saul. But he's a well known character actor who's been on shows ranging from Saved by the Bell, The College Years to Big Love to an unever watched or released pilot called Jack's House starring a young Wilfrid Dell.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, he was a great guy. He is a great guy. I mean I haven't seen him in years, but was a great guy when I worked with him. Jeffrey Nordling is Sebastian Swift. God, the name's great. Another prolific TV actor.
Speaker 1: You've seen him in Big Little Lies, Desperate Housewives, and Once and Again and finally another friend of the show. Former Magical Rewind guest Paul Kiernan is Marshall.
Speaker 2: We Love us some Paul Kiernan.
Speaker 1: He played the Dad and Luck of the Irish, but also popped up in Double Teamed and Go Figure.
Speaker 2: A dcom legend for sure.
Speaker 1: But just because you've cast one of our favorites, that doesn't mean you're above the law.
Speaker 2: Because if you think you're above the law, you ain't above mine.
Speaker 1: Sorry, it's not often I get to do a Steven Sigaal reference on this podcast and here on Magical Rewind. All movies are legally required to be ninety minutes long. Anyone breaking that law will be prosecuted. And so we have Cloud nine. How long is it? It is eighty five minutes, not ninety It's five below the target, which can accept but grudgingly accept, but except nonetheless because it's on the right side of history. Again, if you're not gonna be ninety minutes, you damn well better be less than that. And it was written by Justin Ware. Now there's not a whole lot of credits to his name. He wrote a movie called The Pool Boys, which I'm sure uh Sabrina knows, starring Matthew Lillard and Efren Ramirez, and was also the creator of an animated show called Hellden on something called drink TV and now can you pull off a seven twenty micktwist double axle grind?
Speaker 2: Who cares?
Speaker 1: Because it's time for Cloud nine. Upbeat music plays and we open in a snowy mountain town, focusing on a sign that reads Summit Valley High School. The bell rings and the kids are heading into class, but also kids are skiing and snowboarding at the Summit Valley Mountain Resort. As a helicopter pruises the slopes. We end up inside a clothing store with three young girls, including Kayla, who are all trying on winter gear. We then cut to Kayla's house, which is arguably the most expensive house we've ever seen in d com since Pixel Perfect. I think that's fair to say she's a Richie rich rich rich Richardson, Richie, Richie rich rich rich lady. The three fashionable girls walk in carrying their shopping bags, and Kalya sees a present waiting for her. The card reads to Kayla, good luck today, dad. It's a black dress she had her eyes on for weeks. She says her dad is the best, while one of her friends types on a sidekick ooh sidekicks when she tries it on and her families think Nick is going to pass out when he sees her in it, and then she panics and yells Nick, this was the first time. I was like, wait, she forgot not only that her boyfriend wasn't in competition.
Speaker 2: But she was two.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway, we now got to a snowboarding competition.
Speaker 1: Nick Swift is that the great name Nick Swift is at the top of the ramp ready to compete. The announcer points out that Sebastian Swift is relying on his son Nick to bring home the gold this.
Speaker 2: Year for the snowboarding company.
Speaker 1: Nick drops in and performs some tricks, including a backside melon to a cheering crowd. Usually when you have backside melons, it's not a good thing. But hey, I'm gonna be doing stuff like that all day today, folks.
Speaker 2: So I apologize because I don't know what any of the snowboarding is.
Speaker 1: When all is said and done, the winner is once again Nick Swift, and now it's time for the girls competition with Team Swift's long ragning champion Kayla Morgan, who we just met. Now we couldn't confirm this online, but there is a rumor that they picked the name Swift in the movie to honor Sabrina Carpenter, obviously to honor Taylor Swift. But again we've heard the rumor that makes sense.
Speaker 3: But it's like, are they trying to pull in some of those Swifties? Is that what you mean?
Speaker 2: Yes? Or it might just be you might just have big fans. I mean, who knows? Who knows.
Speaker 1: Kayla is announced, but at first she doesn't appear, so people are worried, especially her dad, and of course he should be.
Speaker 2: She was just at home trying on a dress. Where is she? But then have no fear. Kayla is here.
Speaker 1: Now I get what they're going for, which is like she is just skating her way through this. Right, She's not putting in really any effort anytime, So I got it.
Speaker 3: No one really calls her out for right, but it's like you.
Speaker 2: Forgot your own competition. But I get where they were going for. She starts her snowboarding run and she's jumping, and she's doing well, obviously better than ninety eight percent of most snowboarders in the world can do, especially on a halfpipe, but even the announcers are going like, oh, and she does another jump, like they they're showing that she's not flipping all over the place.
Speaker 3: She's like a mediocre snowboarder for her being a competitor, right right.
Speaker 2: Correct, perfect way to put it. Yeah, yeah, exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: Her street continues, She's once again champ and Swift will be the team to beat at this year's fire and Ice competition. Cayla and her dad hug. He's impressed. She makes it look so easy. Nick greets her dad, but he isn't thrilled to see his daughter's boyfriend and Lee's. Nick says she looks great out there, but then she warns him wait until he sees her tonight. And I was like, I mean it was it was just one of those like it was so out of nowhere sexual.
Speaker 3: Yes, and yes I was a little taken back by it, kind of like, oh okay, but again, this is after years after the last Cheeah Girls movie that I like, I just don't know if these kinds of things were now acceptable.
Speaker 2: Apparently they are. Apparently they are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, She basically tells him she's going to rock his world.
Speaker 3: I mean, it might have been just the actual chemistry, and I don't want to start any rumors of like the two of them like that. That's the way it just kind of happened. And in the script, if it had been people without that chemistry, maybe it wouldn't have been that way.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: But wait until he wait till you see me tonight. I mean that's overtly sexual.
Speaker 3: Ok be like, wait till you see me tonight?
Speaker 1: Like, no, that's no come on, you were you were on fire today? Oh yeah, well wait till you see me tonight. There's no there's no second way of putting that.
Speaker 3: Yes, there is, like wait till you see me unless they're going to it dead right.
Speaker 1: Okay, now will oh Sabrina take back what I said the other episode, do not watch Caligula? Okay from Afar Mister gives them a serious dad eye, and yeah, they seem very harmed up. Kayla says her dad is really just overprotective and is scared she'll get hurt. Nick jokes he will hurt her when he beats her to the lodge and with that they race off, and that is not a euphemism.
Speaker 2: Now at Hot Dogger's Dog.
Speaker 1: Kennel, great name, will a guy in a great flannel by the way, blows drive's dog while his mom gets ready to.
Speaker 2: Leave for a shift at the cantina.
Speaker 1: Will thought she quit her other job to start this dog business, but she reminds him this job is how she pays for it. She promises business will pick up eventually, and we see a poodle in sunglasses. Not a big story, porn or anything, but I'd be criminal not to mention there's a poodle in sunglasses. Then she notices an old picture of Will holding a snowboard trophy and says she misses his smile. But Will hasn't moved, that life is far behind him.
Speaker 2: We're now on a mountain.
Speaker 1: Nick and Kayla race down the hill, doing tricks and teasing each other until Kayla pushes Nick down and claims that she won. Feels a bit like cheating, but okay. They hear a dog barking and look over to find a smiling Will pushing a cute dog in a sled. As he walks by, Nick comvents Will cloud now that is sad. Kaylor reminds him Will got hurt, it wasn't his fault, but Nick says Will was a legend in the making and now just drags tourists dogs around all day. And with that the lovebirds take off, probably to quench that fire. Ah, that's what.
Speaker 2: They're talking about.
Speaker 1: Come at the bottom of the hill, dog walker Nick sees a family taking pictures and offers to take one of the whole family for them. He goes into detail about the history of the sign they're standing in front of, but quickly realizes they've already walked away. Then two of his friends, Sam and Dink just love saying Dink, they snowboard up. Dink praises the weather and encourages Will it's a great day to get back on the slopes. Will lets them know there's no way, and then some bully boarders from Swift pull up and spray them with snow. Will gets annoyed, but the jerks call the dog his girlfriend and.
Speaker 2: Tell them to stay in the doggie park.
Speaker 1: Okay, you want to spray snow over another snowboarder, that's fine.
Speaker 2: You start spraining the dogs. I got a problem.
Speaker 1: Okay, now I hate you, hate you and your whole team. I got a bob, don't leave the dogs out of it, thank you very much. And then the bad team, even Kayla, for a lot of this movie were like anti dog, which is like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not gonna work for me.
Speaker 1: So Will says the dog is a boy, and the d bags finally bored away, Dink tails Will to imagine how good it would feel to burn those guys in the pipe, which I think he means halfpipe. But Will is adamant he is not competing this year. Sam reminds him there's always a place for him on the team if he changes his mind. Now, outside the fire and k I's kickoff party, Klea's friends arrive in a yellow Fiat and throw their keys to someone who is not the valet.
Speaker 2: So is this the same night?
Speaker 1: Yes, So they've had a competition, then a race to do whatever they want. Then we cut to the dog thing, then he walks the dogs, then we have this whole thing on the mountain, then she gets dressed again, and then they go to the party.
Speaker 2: All this is the same night. So is this two o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 3: Well, I feel like when you do snowboarding events, they happened really early.
Speaker 2: But they they weren't. It was like night, it was like dark.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true, and she was like shopping, so she couldn't have been that early, right, So I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So it's like it's this is this is.
Speaker 1: The yes, very very long so because well, I'm trying to save it, because what I'm saying is maybe when she said, wait to you see me tonight, what she's talking about is way to you see me in my dress at the at the dance thing we're going to.
Speaker 3: That's what she was saying.
Speaker 2: No, she was not. She was saying she was.
Speaker 3: To meet tonight. I've got a really cute dress. You're gonna love it. And I'm abdorable because I'm doub Kara.
Speaker 1: It was a sex thing. It was a weird sex thing. Not I stick to that. No weird sex thing.
Speaker 3: Anyway, God Daddy Paul would never do that.
Speaker 1: Oh I think he's throwing a little wink in a nod to a little little sex romp between snow bunnies.
Speaker 2: Come on, geez no.
Speaker 1: So Kayla and Nick are on the red carpet in front of a swift snowboarding backdrop. Nick calls Cala the best female snowboarder and the prettiest girl in the carpet and notes it's great that her dad, the resort owner, throws.
Speaker 2: The best parties.
Speaker 1: Then they run into Nick's dad, who isn't as impressed with today's performance.
Speaker 2: Even though they won, they might not be good enough for Fire and Ice ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 1: We officially have daddy issues and it's been a while. It's nice to be back, That's what I said. It feels like we're just back in a dcom.
Speaker 3: I mean, this guy's like a home run.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Kayla tells Nick not to pay attention to his dad. They were great and they have trophies to prove it. Inside the party, Sebashian Swift gets on the mic and welcomes everyone to said gala, brought to them by Swift Ear. He introduces the upcoming Fire and Ice winners, like the the nineteen ninety four Chicago Bulls, his son Nick Swift, Mike Lamb aka the Wizard, who for some reason yells boomtown, We bang in Yo, the Human cannon Ball, which I still don't understand why that's your name, Burke Brighton. And last, but because a canniball smashes through things, which snowboarding you don't want to do, so I don't get the title. Why don't they just call him crash the Yeah, and last, but certainly not least, the number one glaremmer girl herself Calea Morgan. The party goers cheer, and Sebastian points out Kayla's parents, the resort owners, and announce that this year the competition will air on National TV. Outside the dance, Will is pushing the poodle sands glasses now of course in his sled. The dog barks and they stop to glance at the shindig. Will promises it's not as much fun as it looks, then walks on back inside the party. Kayla overhears Nick trying to pass by his dad, who keeps aggressively reminding him to start thinking like a winner. Once alone, Kayla walks up and asks if for boyfriend's okay. Nick acts like everything is cool despite having a jerk dad. Now we're outside the resort again. Kayla tells Nick she's so stoked that Team Swift is going to be a national TV and Nick promises new moves like the Cloud nine, the trick Will tried when he broke his leg and retired to doggy daycare. Kayla reminds him no one's ever successfully pulled that off. Will Cloud was the only one who even knows how to do it. Nick says he'll figure it out. Then everyone, of course, gets into a snowball fight.
Speaker 3: He says he's gonna watch his crash to figure it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's the best way to do it.
Speaker 1: Like, it'll teach you how not to crash that exact way, won't it, Sabrina, No.
Speaker 3: Because what was he supposed to do in order to not crash?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: What that? Oh man, all these are fair questions.
Speaker 1: During the melee, one of Nick's friends stumbles on Will's dog sled, and they decide to use it to race down the slopes. Nick and a hesitant Kayla go first and quickly realize this thing is hard to steer. Nick can't slow down, so he says sorry and rolls off, leaving Kayla to fly down the hill and right to the Summit Valley sign in a very very bad piece of CGI making a collapse to the ground.
Speaker 2: But what a dinkest face.
Speaker 1: The second he went sorry and rolled off, I was like, oh.
Speaker 3: I know, oh my gosh. And it also that sign was it definitely reminded me of zombies one sure, when our buddy went through the vanuit. Oh yeah, yeah, reminded me of that. Nice All people just lying.
Speaker 1: I think This was also kind of because then you cut back and that you see the family is now shocked that somebody broke the sign, Like the family changes.
Speaker 2: Did you notice that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's like Jaws with Amityville with the sign where they paint the shark fin on.
Speaker 2: That's what it reminded me.
Speaker 1: Of, was like, oh man, okay, so yes, so yeah, the sign collapses.
Speaker 2: He leaves her to it.
Speaker 1: A security guard quickly arrives, and Kyla calls it an accident. They were just fooling round. But when she turns around for support, all the guys, including Nick even cannon Ball there, they've all left her alone to deal with the consequences. We're now back where awful. We're at the dog Kennel. Will answers the phone to hear the news about his sled and rushes to the mansion. It's Kayla, her parents, and the security guarden.
Speaker 2: Will.
Speaker 1: Kayla's dad covers it all up with the security guard and forces his daughter to apologize to Will. He says he'll pay for the sign, but Kayla's going to need to pay for Will's sled. Plus, since Will's mom is the newest resort tenant, He's sure they'll need an extra hand at the kennel too.
Speaker 2: Kayla's not thrilled with the idea.
Speaker 1: She says she doesn't have the time, but her dad explains she better make the time unless she wants to rot out who else was involved, and with that, the first kennel shift is set. Well doesn't seem happy about this new coworker either, and sarcastically apologizes for interfering with their busy schedule of shopping and spending daddy's money. She insists she's more than that, boasting about her skills and the slopes, but Will seen her ride and says she's sloppy, implying that she only made the swift team because her daddy owns the resort. As Will leaves, she yells insults at him, and just like that, we've got some decomtension that's going to turn into a fiery night that will You know.
Speaker 2: It's going to be a crush.
Speaker 1: We know it's coming everybody. My guess is they're both gonna end up looking like they're naked in a pool.
Speaker 2: Hey, that's what happens outside her house. The jerks. That's Nick Burke.
Speaker 1: And Mikeler Alert throws snowballs at the house to get Kayla's attention, and some of them hit her. When she walks out to meet them. Nick asked if she's okay. He says they thought she was right.
Speaker 2: Behind them running. Uh huh.
Speaker 1: She says she got busted and nows to work at the kennel. Nick calls it unfair and wishes he could trade places with her. Witch he could, but he doesn't because he's a d bag and is obviously lying. Now Monday, outside the resort, Kaylor tries calling Nick, but it goes right to voicemail, alerting her that he's chlaxon, which I'm sorry, I'm going to bring back all the time. So if you need me, Sabrina, I'm going to be chilaxin. Yes, okay, okay, yes, yes, okay okay. She He tells him to call her back when he gets a chance, then nervously enters the dog kennel, hoping no one saw her. Will informs her she's late on her first day, and she insults his flannel, which in the record, I still think is awesome.
Speaker 2: Where are you on flannel, Sabrina, y awesome?
Speaker 3: Oh oh no, I'll sport them here and there a cool vintage flannel is something that I will like, give prop sup.
Speaker 2: But somebody thing is a vintage flannel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one that looks sure, No like one that looks like it's from like the seventies or the eighties. I like a little torn. They look different than the ones that I feel like they make now like they look different. Some of them look really cool, some of them just look frumpy.
Speaker 2: Okay, sorry, I love it.
Speaker 3: I I've you say you love flannels. I think I've yet in the one hundred and seventeen episodes we've done seen more a flannel.
Speaker 1: So I flannel because my room is a thousand degrees in here.
Speaker 3: Okay, fair, But when I'm.
Speaker 1: Outside, I also don't wear them a lot, but I used to. I used to wear them all the time. And I miss him, and now I'm going to get one next time we're gonna see him.
Speaker 3: So you gotta go, geut.
Speaker 1: I do know it's in the closet somewhere. I can find one, yes, but anyway, I like them. Will then lets the dogs out to meet her, calling them depressed for being cooped up all day, but she says if anyone should be depressed, it's her, and then he gives her a first assignment to fill the food bowls. She pretends she's allergic to dogs. Again more dog hate, but eventually gets to it. The notices she's got a voicemail from Nick's dad. He says he heard about the dogs led incident and since she signed a code of conduct agreement, he's removing her from the team. He says, sorry, she left him no choice with this new She obviously quickly leaves the kennel to breast. Outside the resort, Kayla finds Nick, and he says to her it was either him and his friends or her. He didn't have a choice with the competition right around the corner, so he threw her under the bus. She says the team will suffer without her, but Nick confidently assures her, no, we won't. He says she could never win in this competition anyway.
Speaker 2: Harsh.
Speaker 1: She says she's the best girl shredder in Summit Valley, but Nick says that's only because it was rigged. His dad made sure her competition always sucked just to keep her dad happy since he was bankrolling the team. Kayla's clearly hurt, So it's like this guy does all this stuff to her and is also like, oh, and by the way, your whole life is a lie. We hate you.
Speaker 3: It's like geez, and this is her boyfriend. This isn't like some just guy that was on the team. This is her boyfriend. And it's like dang, yep wow.
Speaker 1: So she runs home and confronts her dad. She thought she was good, but she might actually be bad. Her dad tells her she's not bad, she's just not great. He suspected Richard, and as I was watching this, He's like, you're not bad, You're just not And I was like great, and he goes great. I was like, oh god, I'm riding these now. He suspected Richard was rigging the competitions. But the only thing that matters is that she was having fun. She says, if she knew she wasn't good, she would have worked harder. She knows she could be great, but now she's just a fake and everyone knows it. He promises he was just trying to protect her, but that doesn't help, and she walks away crying at the dog kennel. Kayla is back and mopping the floor, and Will is shocked to see her at work so early. Will's friend Sam and Dink arrive and Sam has been seeing double ever since he wiped out trying a cab seven melon.
Speaker 2: Grab on the halfpipe shot.
Speaker 1: Will gives him some advice on how to land it next time, and this gives Kayla a glimmer of an idea.
Speaker 2: The guys are off to get.
Speaker 1: A pizza, so Will gives Keyla a list of everything she needs to do with the kennel. Now alone, Kayla tries to call Nick again but gets his voicemail he's still chilaxing.
Speaker 2: Then she spots the photo of.
Speaker 1: Will holding a snowboard trophy and gets to work, but she runs into issues like apathetic dogs and escaping pups. She tries to give one a bath, but he doesn't want to leave his cage. Kell is eventually pushed into the bath herself, leaving a mess while trying to catch all the canines that have since escaped. Eventually, the pack opens the front door and they run out of the resort. Kayler runs after the dogs, but stops dead in her tracks when she sees Nick in a crowded common area where everyone is now laughing at her for some reason, I guess for losing the dogs or because she was wet why no one ran up like, hey, are you okay? Richest girl who owns the mountain right? She asked if he's gotten her messages, and he says he dropped his phone in a puddle, so it's dead. Right as his phone rings, he tells Kela they need to talk, but she beats him to the punch, thanking him for telling the truth about the special treatment she got on the team. She's just thankful that through everything she still has Nick set up, set up, set up.
Speaker 2: It was coming.
Speaker 1: I was like, he's either gonna break up with her or with the way this is going, just punch her in the face because it's like it's been so bad.
Speaker 2: Because it's so bad at this.
Speaker 3: Point, I know, and I'm just like feeling for her, like this girl's day could just not get worse.
Speaker 2: Awful, awful, Yeah, I know, it's terrible.
Speaker 1: And then he tells her he needs to focus on his training and can't have any distractions. He tells her if she wants him to win, he needs some space, and just like that.
Speaker 2: He breaks up with her and walks away.
Speaker 1: We're not back at the dog kennel, which again we never saw where the dogs went, never saw how she got him back. She just walks back in with all the escape dogs. She says it in the worst day of her life. She got kicked off a team swift Nick broke up with her and she has ruined her super cute boots chasing dogs halfway up the mountain. And it was during this scene that I had a bit of an epiphany of who Dove Cameron reminded me of. She reminds me of a young Goldie Han. Oh wow, like a private Benjamin aged kind of Goldie Han is who she reminded me of.
Speaker 3: And kind of Kate Hudson if you've seen her, like I know how I was a guy in days like that character.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's just Goldiehn. So I I see Goldiehan, but that's who I saw. She's got that same kind of cute girl, but can be like the braddy girl if she has to.
Speaker 2: When she's like whining about her boots or something very.
Speaker 3: But she does it in such a cute way, like you don't hate her, Oh no, exactly, Like its just like a door.
Speaker 2: Of the same way.
Speaker 1: You never hated Goldiehan, like even an overboard you didn't hate Goldiehan. It was like such a character she played and that I was getting real vibes of that from her.
Speaker 2: So she's whining.
Speaker 1: But Will's mom, Andrea still agrees that sounds terrible and wraps her up in a towel. Kayla assumes she's gonna be fired, but Andrew knows this wasn't her fault. She should have been trained before she was left.
Speaker 2: On her own. Clearly wanted to be fired.
Speaker 1: Kayla says she doesn't want to blame Will, she wants to take full responsibility and understands she needs to be fired instead. Andrea wants to get her something warm to drink and offers her the rest of the day off. Knowing she's stuck at the dog kennel, Kayla just sobs into Andrea's chest. We're not back at Kayla's house. Kayla's friends Pia and Lynz stop by, only to find her frozen in bed. Pia tells Kayla that Nix doesn't deserve her, and this is when I realized that Pia and Lin's have a real pen and teller thing going on where only one.
Speaker 2: Of them talks.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Lin'z even texts Pia her thoughts in one scene.
Speaker 2: Kayla, Yeah, it was weird. I didn't get it. You don't need it, just have her to speak.
Speaker 3: I didn't think she needed two friends, honestly, I mean, I guess friends, my god, I just it just it didn't seem like the two characters needed that, they needed both of them. And it's kind of like, I.
Speaker 1: Agree, yep, I agree. But yeah, so this is a little weird. She has her texting the whole time. Kayla is heartbroken. Of course, she liked Nick and Team Swift and now she has neither of them. Pia tries to make Kayla feel better by mentioning she failed her driving test three times and had to take the bus to the dancer recitle, but that's how she met a really cute guy she went to homecoming with.
Speaker 2: So maybe something great I'll come out of this too.
Speaker 3: And maybe don't ever drive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but if you failed it three times, the rest of us safe uber.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Kayla isn't sold.
Speaker 1: Pia got a cute bus guy, and she got a kennel full of smelly dogs again dog hate. Pia says, let's be fair. Will Cloud isn't uncute. He even won an award for most Epic fail for his huge snowboard crash. Kayla says she could never bring herself to watch the video, and so they decide to watch it now and finally see the brutal Cloud nine wipeout, and it's a good wipeout. He wipes Cayla is now doing something horribly dangerous, and that's driving a Porsche in the snow like I was like really, When Donald the dog appears right in front of her car, she slams on the brakes and runs out to find him laying on the ground with his tongue out. Will runs over and Kayla is freaking out. On top of everything else, she's also a dog killer.
Speaker 2: Will laughs.
Speaker 1: Donald is is playing roadkill, which he loves to do, which is so cute. Then the dog springs to life and jumps into Will's arms. Kayla is so relieved she coddles Donald, saying she doesn't know what she would have done if she killed him. Will is, of course shocked, telling the pup that someone's really taking a liking to him. Kayla snaps back to reality and hands the dog.
Speaker 2: Back to Will.
Speaker 1: Back at the dog kennel, Kyla wonders if the dogs would be less depressed if the kennel was less depressing itself. She calls it blah and Will says they don't have the money to make it less Blakayla promises it doesn't take a lot of money to have style.
Speaker 2: Which isn't true.
Speaker 1: Later, they kind of changed the whole thing and probably took a lot of money to do it. She thinks they get more customers at the place was classier. Will isn't interested, though appearances are in everything. He'll take substance over style any day. Kila asked to make a deal. She'll help make the place look better if Will can help or show people that she's more than just good looks.
Speaker 2: Cayla wants him.
Speaker 1: To train her for the fire and ice competition. Will laughs, she's got to be joking. She knows she's not the champion snowboarder she thought she was, but with some coaching and hard work, she thinks she can win the medal she deserves. She'll turn the kennel into something special and they'll both win. He says he's not a coach. The last time he wrote, he tore at tended in his knee, shattered his ankle, and collapsed his lung.
Speaker 2: He almost died Kayla, have you ever had a bad crash snowboarding? Yes?
Speaker 3: I did, actually I And it wasn't me actually crashing. It was someone crashing into me.
Speaker 2: Did you.
Speaker 3: I didn't. But I hit my head and I was like did Like. I laid there for a while and it was another snowboarder that you know, just lost control and hit me and I hit my head. And then the other time was I lost my board. I was an idiot on a mountain. I found myself in one of those parks that are on the mountains where there's these and I just had to get off. I'm like, I'm not this way, I'm gonna walk down, and I took off my board, but I took off my back binding first, and so then when I took off my front binding, my board just slid out from under me and just went down the mountain. And I was at one point having to scoot, and for some reason, someone else's board was coming and it smashed right into my back.
Speaker 2: I had.
Speaker 3: Going from under my rib cage all the way down to the middle of my like hamstring. It was just god giant.
Speaker 2: All didn't break break ribs and stuff.
Speaker 3: Yes, And when I the worst part is When I got down there, I'm crying. I'm in so much pain in This guy that works there comes up screaming at me with my board. Do you know how dangerous this is? You can't just let your board go down the thing, and I'm like, I know how dangerous it is. I got hit by one, sir, I'm sorry, all within like ten minutes, and it was.
Speaker 2: Just god did he what did he say he was sorry after yelling at you?
Speaker 3: Or he was like you did? Are you okay? He's like, you need to see someone? So I like that. He's actually he turned his his gauge, thank god. But I was like bawling. I had my goggles on, so he didn't see it. When I came up. And when I took off my goggles, I like I had mascarre all over me. I'm like, I'm in so much pain.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry. Okay, it's funny now, but I swear I'm sure I thought I had some major insights.
Speaker 1: Oh god, well, you're just selling me on snowboarding. I can't wait to try it.
Speaker 3: We just don't take your board off.
Speaker 2: God, wow, it's crazy. Yeah, so he says he almost died. Kayla asked but you're all better now, right, which I guess is one way to approach it.
Speaker 1: He tries to shut her down, but Kayla saw his old videos to be that good, he had to have loved it.
Speaker 2: He can't just walk away.
Speaker 1: Will says, well, he did, and he does it again by walking right out of the kennel. Now out in the snow, Kayla and Will are sled walking a dog, and she asked him what he's so afraid of.
Speaker 2: MY guess is probably dying.
Speaker 1: His fall was a freak accident and the chances of it happening again are super low, actually pretty high. You're going to continue to fall if you're practicing on a giant halfpipe. I think falling's part of it, he insists. Even if he did agree to train her, she doesn't have a team. Then she spots Sam and Dink snowboarding nearby and suggests she join up with them, since they're his old teammates. Will wonders how she can be serious when she spends more time styling than working on board techniques, but she promises she can change. Then they notice a girl, an undefeated shredder named sky Sailors.
Speaker 3: Good name.
Speaker 1: I like that, Will Cloud Kayla Morgan Sky sailor Dink, I love them all, Dink. There's snowboarding and performing tricks on a nearby ramp, with Team Swift cheering her on. Apparently they didn't waste any time replacing Kayla. Kayla reminds Will team Swift didn't just kick her off the team, they also beat him, and wouldn't it be great to prove them wrong. Sam and Dink pull up and asks what they're talking about, and Will announces that Kayla is joining the team and he's gonna be the coach. They all cheer as Kayla hugs her new mentor. I also noticed so many times this movie. I literally literally googled it. Did you notice the height difference between these two actors?
Speaker 3: Huge? Yes, insane huge. I think he must be on the taller side. But from what.
Speaker 1: That's that's so he's got to be six one six two without wearing snowboard stuff, without the boots and everything. Because I was thinking about it. There comes a point where it it looks funny on camera and can be difficult to shoot for a direction shoot. Okay, so she's a foot taller than her, So when you're a director, you're shooting you go to cast people, you don't want to have to change camera angles so much that you're a foot off. I mean, you trying to get a like a dirty single they call it, where you're over the shoulder or somebody onto your your close up.
Speaker 2: You can't do that if you're a foot taller than the person. So I was like, Wow, this cast thing is going to make it far more.
Speaker 3: Difficult to do it.
Speaker 1: I know he made it more difficult on himself, is what I'm saying. But there is a big heighth difference between these two. I mean it was really noticeable. Yeah, yeah, I was pretty.
Speaker 3: But I imagine this movie like when it came they already don't you think this would be a movie that they already knew their two casts, like their two leads.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, I'm sure they did. But I'm saying that that that much between two people. It adds time to shooting little things like that ad time. Lighting is different because casting shadows when somebody's that big, camera angles are different. It makes a difference when you've got two actors that are that different in size.
Speaker 2: It's amazing.
Speaker 1: But we're back in the high school where everybody's the same size. Kayla enterpals Pia and Linz or Penn and Teller walk the hallways. Pia can't believe that Kayla and Will are forming their own team for Fire and Ice. She introduces them to Sam and Dink, and Dink tries to flirt with Pia. Just then Sky appears, surrounded by a crowd. She has transferred just in time for Fire and Ice. So now she's at the high school too. Yeah, they're bringing in ringers and now we're going to some snowboarding practice. Will and his new team are watching Sky practice, and she's really good. He has crisp hold and great amplitude. Are these are these real things, Sabena, I don't sound real.
Speaker 3: I have no idea.
Speaker 2: I get a.
Speaker 3: You know what the tricks are by them saying it, I just like to like cruise down the mountain, gotcha? I don't know those Why like what I'd be taking shots with you?
Speaker 2: Because, okay, good?
Speaker 1: Any of these this why we'd just be hammered watching some people snowboard.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: Later, while grabbing food, Kayla meets Sky, and the new student bitingly offers her an autograph. When asked who to make it out to, Kayla says Kayla Morgan, maybe you've heard of me. Sky modifies it and signs to Kayla everybody's favorite daddy's girl. Kayla corrects her, make it out to Kayla future winner of Fire and Ice.
Speaker 2: Sky asks how she'll do that if.
Speaker 1: The competition isn't rigged this time, and Kayla insults her, split ends and they part ways.
Speaker 2: Ikes, guys would just.
Speaker 3: Like Kayla, we couldn't think of anything better.
Speaker 2: That's all you got.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, your your shirts stupid like wow, that's where you're going. Will quickly jumps into coach mode and says if Kayla wants to show Sky what she's made of, she'll need to stop trading insults and focus on boarding. Yeah, and with that, practice begins with a riding montage. Love a montage, and it's Will and mister Miagi mode. It seems like this duo might actually work out after all. We're back at the kennel. Kayla is giving herself and Donald the dog a many petty, which is the cutest thing with him just with his feet.
Speaker 2: In the little thing. Loved it.
Speaker 1: She says she has a project to attend to, so we'll get more montage now with not just intense snowboarding practice. But we see kennel upgrades it's new logo with the movie's title soundtrack, Cloud nine by Dove Cameron and Luke ben Ward playing in the background. Again, if you're getting a new sign and putting new things in, that's money, right, So she's like, it's not gonna cost anything. We're gonna put a third floor on this kennel and what exactly what plus you can't build easy snowtown. Everybody knows that it's twice as expensive. Construction workers enter the kennel with ladders and toolboxes, delivering new couches and chairs, all for free, apparently because none of this costs money. And Will and Kela are starting to openly flirt, which F boy Nick sees from Afar and from my other podcast with Ryder Strong Podmets Twirld. I learned F boy stands for a boy.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much. Oh wow, yep, I can teach you all about it.
Speaker 1: Learned all about it my friend while watching in the city, and Ryder wants to be a boy until we told him it's not a good thing.
Speaker 3: Ryder didn't know either.
Speaker 1: No, of course we don't know. We're two way middle aged men. I'm past middle age. I'm on the back nine, Sabrina.
Speaker 2: That's true, it's awful.
Speaker 1: Later at the kennel, Andrea, Will's mom walks in and is blown away by what she sees. It's a whole new place and definitely not something you complete in just one montage or for.
Speaker 2: Free, but it is done.
Speaker 1: His mom assumes a cost of fortune, but real reveals Kayla is just a bargain hunting machine. Andrea points out they make a great team and tells them to take the rest of the day off. Will leaves to get something so while alone, Andrea thanks Kayla. Will hasn't been this happy since he was peeding. After his accident. She didn't know if he'd ever be the same, but he's.
Speaker 2: Got his old smile back.
Speaker 1: That night in town, Kayla and Luke are together eating ice cream, despite the fact that the restaurant they just left has a giant neon side that just says tacos.
Speaker 2: No one else picked that up because I did no place with ice cream. Come on.
Speaker 1: Kayla looks off at the distance and asks Will if he ever noticed how scary that mountain looks.
Speaker 2: And I thought it looked fake, but I don't think it was No. I mean it looked it looked so mountainey, if that makes sense.
Speaker 1: That it looked fake, like it was an artist rendition, Like nothing could be that pretty of a mountain right there, but.
Speaker 3: They look like, uh, they're just stunning you. I mean that I love taking the chairlift up alone is the reason to go snowboarding, of just being on these just like epic, gorgeous, gorgeous mountains with sky behind it, like, oh god.
Speaker 2: Can you just ride did the chairlift? Like?
Speaker 1: Could I just take it up and then just stay at it as it turned around and take me down? Can I just keep doing that to just get the view without having it to ski down the freaking mountain question?
Speaker 3: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Well, we got to change that rule.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think you can. I mean, I don't know. I would assume it would be dangerous because you're going downward, you know what I mean, even though you have the bar in front of you on a chairlift, you're still going, like, you know, in a right decline.
Speaker 1: I have to imagine that's safer than strapping wood to your feet and going seventy miles an hour down the mountain.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's wood anymore, will it?
Speaker 2: Whatever it is?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right, because the wood wasn't fast enough. Now it's something else. Oh, we've got this from a producer's. Most resorts do not allow pedestrians or foot passengers on regular chairlifts during the winter, primarily for safety.
Speaker 2: What a bunch of it.
Speaker 1: I just want to ride the chairlifts anyway. Whatever, Sorry, I've got it for safety. I love that you can't safely ride the chairlift down. You've got to ski down on the double black diamond where by the way, if you hit a bump, it could be a rock, it could be another snowboarder that's been killed on the mountain. Ah, I forget it. She's gonna stay at home and watch TV. I'm just gonna watch DCMS about snowboarding.
Speaker 2: It's just a lot easier.
Speaker 1: Cale looks off at the distance. Oh yeah, scary the mountains, he says. That's Tyson's Peak, and it is scary. It's got ice, wind, jagged rocks, and an intense seventy five foot drop. Some people want to snowboard it, but you can't go up there without a helicopter. Kayla asked if anyone's ever tried it, and Will says.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Tyson, and they never found his body.
Speaker 1: She's terrified, but Will is just kidding. He admits that the snowboarding that snowboarding down Tyson's Peak is impossible, but Kayla says nothing is impossible, which again, great sentiment, not accurate, not sure, there's some things that are absolutely impossible.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: She asked what he thinks their chances are at Fire and Ice, and he says, at first the team was shaky, but they're starting to look like a real threat. Kayler reveals that she's been thinking about something that can make their team an even bigger threat. When Will ask what's that, she says, you, I said, just like yeah, that's right. She wants him to compete with them, but he reminds her that wasn't part of their deal. She's seen him out in the snow and he looks like he belongs there. He just needs Seet back out there and they can take the swifts down together.
Speaker 2: So she asked him to think about it, and he says he will.
Speaker 1: But come on, man, the guy, he doesn't want to do it anymore. Don't don't drag him back into the thing that almost killed him.
Speaker 2: Come on.
Speaker 3: It's taking care of do She knows it's like our only chance to win.
Speaker 1: I know, but my god, the poor guy. Sean White's your producer. Get Sean White on your team. Everybody knows that that's how you win.
Speaker 2: Later, in Will's.
Speaker 1: Room, he stares longingly at the photo of him with the trophy. Then we're back in Kayla's room. She sits in bed, but she's watching Will's snowboarding videos, and coincidentally, now we're back in Will's room where he's also doing the same thing, but he quickly slams his laptop shut. The next morning, Kayla wakes up and reminds us that she's amazingly horribly rich in this expensive house. She overhears her parents talking about how Kayla is doing great at the dog spa and that Will is coaching their team. She's been working really hard and her dad would hate to see her try so hard only to fail. Madeline asks if there's any chance to win, and he says against the swift team, Honey, that's impossible. Undetected, kayleie here's the challenge from her hater parents and says to herself, nothing's impossible.
Speaker 2: Question.
Speaker 1: She never ever calls this woman mom or anything. She never talks about her mom. She never mentions her mom. I got a vibe that this was a stepmom that she would call like Madeline or Beth.
Speaker 2: Did you ever get a vibe that there was not a scene between the two of them. She never talks about this woman.
Speaker 1: She only talks about dad, And I got this weird vibe that they weren't that's not her real mom.
Speaker 3: Ye, I agree with you. I did notice that, but I remember it at the very beginning, when the mom is the one that is very like deliberate and very stern about her having to go work at the kennel like that, she has the line that says, you're working at the kennel.
Speaker 1: Right, But she doesn't ever say like, but mom, I'm not gonna or what the hell is I can't believe you're doing that?
Speaker 2: Mom. It's all about dad all the time.
Speaker 1: My dad's this, my dad's that, my dad brought me this, Your dad's rich, Your dad's mom is never mentioned.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're right, any and I mean the only time we even actually, I guess know that they're like married was when they're announced at the gala and it's and his wife, right.
Speaker 2: I just got real like, yeah, step mom vibes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I could do. I could see that.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: It's just it was strange the way they handled the mom characters.
Speaker 3: But they also are like mom really big on like daddy issues throughout this whole movie with this girl so.
Speaker 1: Right, which is like then you figure they'd have when you have a scene between the two of them, you'd hear, she's my daughter too, or I don't like the way. I mean, none of that was there. It was just very, very strange.
Speaker 2: We're at the kennel. Caleb bursts to the door, telling Will to teach her the Cloud nine. Will scoffs and says, yeah, and I want world peace. She assumes he doesn't believe in her, just like her dad.
Speaker 1: He says it's not about whether or not he believes in her, it's about if she believes in herself. When she's alone on the mountain, she can't be afraid, not even for a second.
Speaker 2: It takes no fear, and she is not there yet.
Speaker 1: She thinks Cloud nine could be a second chance for them both, but he just walks away. She screams out, I have done everything that you've shown me, and he yells back it's too dangerous, so Kayla wonders for me or for you, And it was actually a.
Speaker 2: Pretty good scene, good dcom scene. Bottom of Tyson's Peak. Now that's right, Tyson's Peak.
Speaker 1: Kyla jumps off a snowmobile and hopes to use the Summitt helicopter, but the owner, Marshall, says he's booked all afternoon. Kayla lies and says her dad actually booked it weeks ago, and now she'll need to give him a call and interrupt his meeting playing the rich Daddy card. Marshall knows what that means. It immediately finds room for her, and with that Neppo baby move Marshall, Kayla and the co pilot take off for Tyson's Peak. And that's when I was like, find room for her. There was nobody on the milody, just you and your copilt like what it's like. It was literally just that, just you.
Speaker 2: Maybe it was like maybe he ran her up quickly before he had another one in like.
Speaker 3: That hour kind of how I went ahead and just accepted it. But yeah, but there was no one in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, agreed.
Speaker 1: We are now at the top of Tyson's Peak, which is not owned by the chicken people. The helicopter lands and Marshall tells her to be careful as she gets out and grabs her snowboard.
Speaker 2: The co pilot excitedly tells Marshall to circle because he's got to get this. Apparently he's excited to film a little girl dying.
Speaker 1: Also, how how much of a schedule could they have if they're not just going to stay up there and film her?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: But anyway, Kayla gets to the edge of the mountain and it is a very steep drop. She says to herself, Nothing's impossible, no doubt, no fear, and I just want her to go.
Speaker 2: Nothing's a possible. Boom roll credits. That's it. She's been killed. End of movie, because it would have been really funny.
Speaker 1: But yes, something's bother dangerous exactly, but no, no doubt, no fear. Meanwhile, back in the helicopter, they've convinced the local news somehow to show her attempt live, which again seems like an odd Faces of Death move.
Speaker 2: Did you ever watch Faces of Death as a kid?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Do you know what Faces of Death is? No?
Speaker 1: So, back in the day, there was a tape you could literally rent and it was this is pre Blockbuster, and it was just it was like in its own little section.
Speaker 2: It was the creepiest thing in the world.
Speaker 1: And you'd rent it for sleepovers or something, and it was just actual footage of people die. It was like car crashes, people jumping off of buildings, any kind of footage they had of somebody actually dying. They put into a tape compilation just called Faces of Death. And as like a twelve year old boy, there would always be that kid who is like, I rented Faces of Death tonight, and I'd be like, I'm not gonna sleep because it was the worst.
Speaker 2: Oh god, it was awful.
Speaker 1: I can still shut my eyes and see part of Faces of Death.
Speaker 2: It's terrible. It is just terrible.
Speaker 1: Oh Man, will Nick Donald, the dog Sky and a bunch of I just love saying those And I want to say, will Nick dink Swift, but no, Donald the Dog's guy and a bunch of snowboarders are now watching at the resort as she starts snowboarding down the mountain. At first, she's going fast but seems like she's doing well. She gets to a huge drop and the snow around he starts to crack. She free falls as a midi avalanche starts and now she's racing away from a total disaster, a cloud of snow right on her tail. Eventually, the avalanche catches up with her and covers her in snow. Will and Donald race to a snowmobile to help, because of course Donald's gonna be the only one that's gonna save the day. And she I was like, thank god Donald's there, because she's not gonna be able to breathe for long. The helicopter calls for a search and rescue just as Will arrives at the crash scene. Donald starts digging and does eventually find her lifeless.
Speaker 2: Will begs her to say something, and she responds, nothing is impossible, and then dies and then smiles. Is what I was gonna say.
Speaker 1: He can't believe her. You risked your life just to prove a point that was dumb. The helicopter announces she's all right, and everyone watching on TV is relieved. We are now at Kayla's incredibly almost a I feeling infinity indoor pool.
Speaker 2: This is the naked part I was telling you about. People. Kayla and Will are taking a dip.
Speaker 1: He still can't believe she jumped Tyson's peak again, all that sounds like euphemism. Kayla knew, Wow, Kayla, I can't believe you you jumped Tyson's Peak. Come on, Serena, go ahead say something.
Speaker 3: You jumped.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 4: Hey, that high school boy is amazing. I can't believe you jumped Tyson's Peak. It's gonna be on fire tonight. All this while looking like they're naked in a pool.
Speaker 3: It's crazy they did they. I I think the lighting and everything. I feel like we've obviously seen two characters in a in water before, but they were like outside, very lit like this was like romantic. Yeah, actually very pretty scene right.
Speaker 2: Like beautiful, like very non dcom. Well, no new modern DCM. This is like the modern d.
Speaker 3: Com, the modern one that we Honestly, it's just so hard to like shift gears to.
Speaker 1: But I think we from now on, Like they have BCE, which is before the common era, I think we have md.
Speaker 2: Which is the modern DCOM era.
Speaker 1: Okay, so these are all these movies, I would say the modern Dcome era md E starts. What twenty eleven, twenty twelve is when you start to get into the MD so, yes, modern Dcome era. Crazy, we'recording that by the way, that is an official Magical Rewind trademark, So nobody steal that MD for us, Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: What other podcast would that makes sense?
Speaker 1: It's true, it's true. Oh and then the ode is the original dcom era. Ooh, okay, so we got it all right, there we go again, trademarked Magical Rewind. Nobody please steal that, thank you, okay. So Kayla knew it was the only thing she could do to impress him, so he would teach her the Cloud nine. He said it took him money to learn that move, but she argues that's because he created it. Now it's just about guidance and technique. He says, the Cloud nine is a triple cork mctwist fourteen forty, which is so made up sounding, but I think it's real. And my guess is, if you've got Sean White as a producer, yes that this is gonna be real. So I know a mctwist is a real thing because that's a skateboarding move. So a triple cork mctwist fourteen forty. He says he only did it once in a practice run. Caleb begs him to teach her with tension in the air. Then Madeline walks in just before they were about to kiss.
Speaker 2: Ooh, naked kissing in the pool, just like regularly.
Speaker 1: That's so MD trademark a magical rewind Please don't steal that?
Speaker 2: What about kill? Will says he should.
Speaker 1: Just go, and he swims off back on the slopes. Kayla tells Sam and Dake the good news.
Speaker 2: Will agree to join our team.
Speaker 1: The guys are excited, but Kayla jokingly tells Will they don't just accept anyone.
Speaker 2: He's got to show them what he's got.
Speaker 1: He starts snowboarding and has advertised he's obviously incredible. Everyone including Team Swift, is watching on. But despite the great start, Will wipes.
Speaker 2: Out onto his back.
Speaker 1: Nick jokes, once an epic fail, always an epic fail. Kayla Samon Dink run to Will and he isn't moving. This is terrifying, but after a few seconds he jumps up totally fine. He was playing dead like Donald the Dog. Kayla tells him to never scare her like that again. She says she needs him, but to avoid in the awkwardness, she adds, I mean naked in my pool. I'm kidding, teach me. The Cloud nine is what she's a The next day at school, Kayla is telling Pia and Lynz that Will thinks she's getting stronger and if she stays really focused, she can even compete with Then Nick and Sky walk.
Speaker 2: Arm and arm.
Speaker 1: It seems like he found more than just a new teammate. Nick tells Kayla it's nothing personal. They just weren't a match. Sky clarifies winners should be with winners and then walks away.
Speaker 2: Yikes.
Speaker 1: Will arrives and Kayla asks, strangely if he thinks her hand is small. He examined it and says it looks fairly regular size to him, So Kayla wonders if he'd hold it a bit more normal, And just like that, they're holding hands like a couple. But then Kayla looks over to see if Nick is watching, and he is. Will notices, and I'd.
Speaker 2: Be pissed too quickly. Let's go over hand. Not cool, kayleb not cool? Not cool? Okay?
Speaker 1: He asks if he'll see her after school. She says yes and walks away, But Will's not stoked, and just what went down?
Speaker 2: Obviously?
Speaker 1: Now we're at snowboarding practice, Kayla asks Will, what makes guy so special? Besides being an athlete and not she has nothing else going for her. Kayla starts on the half pipe and Will shots out instructions. She's doing great, but then it's Sky's turning the half pipe and she's just unbelievably impressive. Kayla wonders how she's supposed to compete with that and responds with.
Speaker 2: Just let's start on the cloud nine.
Speaker 1: Kayla watches on as Will completes part one of the trick, then tries it herself, but she can't land it. She tries over and over and over again. Will asks if she's okay, and she thinks maybe she just needs a food break. She's starting to lose her confidence. He still believes in her. She just needs to get that great. She walks off, and Nick says he'll catch up with her later. Then Nick Swift snows love that name. Nick Swift snowboards up and admits to Will that his team is looking better, especially Kayla.
Speaker 2: When she gets something in her head that's it. He wonders if cloud nine was her idea. Will promises that she can handle it, but Nick says he wasn't talking about her, he was talking about him. It was bad enough that it ended his career, but if Kayla gets hurt, that's going to be on him. Later.
Speaker 1: Back on that half pipe, it's dark outside and Kayla and Will are still not practicing.
Speaker 2: This time.
Speaker 1: She sticks the landing and nails part two. She tries for the third part with the triple twist, but falls uncontrollably, sliding on her back.
Speaker 2: Will had to look away, but of course Kayla's all right.
Speaker 1: Nearby, Sky is also watching with Nick's dad, Sebastian, who thinks there's no way Kayla can pull off a Cloud nine. Sky says, maybe not yet, but don't count her out. She admits that Kayla has talent, then grabs her board and walks away. Back on the half pipe, now, Will's upset about her lack of confidence. She's hesitating and he can see it in her turns. Kayla says she'll try again, but Will says.
Speaker 2: No, that's it. They're out of time.
Speaker 1: Kayla wonders if he's giving up on her, but he's just not interested in her getting hurt. It's not worth it, he says. They both know what this competition is really about. For her, he mentions a little hand holding incident at school. Oh, he knows this is just to win back Nick. Kayla says that's not true. Things are different now, but Will says not different enough. They're done. A frustrated Kyla agrees, yes, we're done. I need to stop wasting my time with guys who don't believe in me. And that's when Will walks right up to her and kisses her. It was a big change, I gotta say, I was. I was watching this with Susan, who does not watch the d coms with me because she's like, I don't know, and by this point she's like, yeah, kiss her.
Speaker 3: Yeah I did too. I loved this kiss. I thought it was a good one. It was a real I mean that that that I would say is our what is it? Mde like we're seeing a change, like the kisses are getting better?
Speaker 1: Yep, this was great and are still Slumber Party is still my favorite?
Speaker 3: Still the same? Yeah still but.
Speaker 2: Yeah full MD kissing. Yeah, I thought it was.
Speaker 3: He's a good kiss.
Speaker 2: I do too, a good.
Speaker 1: Kiss and I do too, And I like how he just like went up and yeah, nine feet taller then or there you go. In source, old Kayla says she's in this one hundred percent and doesn't care if Nick or her dad or anyone else. Thinks she can win it Fire and Ice. She just needs Will to believe in her. He says he believes in her, and then they embrace. Later, Kayla is walking home and passes the Swift store just as Sebastian is walking out forgot about this. She notices she doesn't look happy to see him, and he wonders if she blames him. He admits he never should have kicked her off the team. He hopes she'll give them another chance and wants her to compete with the Swifts tomorrow. He says they could set the world on fire and she should be part of that. Kayla wonders about Will and their team. He says they could talk about that after Fire and Ice. Right now this is about her. He tells her to think about it and hope she makes the right decision. Ooh, and now it's the Fire and Ice competition. Will, Sam and Dink arrive and can't find Kayla, and when they do, she arrives wearing Swift gear alongside Sebastian, who tells the guys that as of last night, Kayla read you oined his team.
Speaker 2: Cayles said, I was like, okay, this is there's no way.
Speaker 3: There's no way, no way.
Speaker 2: Because there's no way that happened. There's no way that happened after that kiss. Yeah, it couldn't. It just it couldn't, Kayla.
Speaker 1: Kayla says she's sorry, but then takes off the jacket yeah, and hands it to Sebastian. She never turned in her gear and besides that, Teal is so last season. Sebastian promises she'll regret this, and Will admits he was worried there for a second. Kayla says, it's going to take a lot more than a new uniform to get rid of her. He's six two, she's had her hands on him, and she knows what she's got.
Speaker 2: That's not what happened. But that's come on, we know what's up and.
Speaker 3: Going at this telling no going back.
Speaker 2: Never there.
Speaker 1: It's an MD, my friend, That's how we do it in the modern era.
Speaker 2: By the way, MD is trademarked of magical. I don't feel that.
Speaker 1: Kayla says, it's going to take a lot more than a new uniform to get rid of her. Andrea, Will's mom, Doug, Pia, and Lynz arrived with new uniform and they are now called the hot Doggers.
Speaker 2: Very cool. Did you really come on? They're the hot Doggers.
Speaker 3: It works on so many levels it does.
Speaker 2: What would you have named the team? What would you have named him?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I haven't thought about it. That's the problem. I hate bringing a I hate putting down something if I don't have something to replace it with. But hot Doggers I loved it.
Speaker 1: They had me at Hot dogg I'm getting you a hot DOGG T shirt. Getting you a hot Dogger T shirt.
Speaker 2: It's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: It's the start of the competition, and we get some cool fireworks on the half pipe throughout the entire scene, which was kind of cool. And first up it's the men's half pipe. Will Cloud lands all his.
Speaker 3: Tricks and you got to do your competition voice, Yes, what are you doing for me?
Speaker 1: And so we start the competition, and first up it's the men's half pipe. Will Cloud lands all of his tricks and completes a great run. Then Nick is up and he falls and he failed his last trick.
Speaker 2: Meaning Will's now in the lead.
Speaker 1: And then apparently that's all that matters because there's the only two people competing in the entire competition. There's no one else there. It's not nine teams, it's just these two guys. So then Nick is up and he fails again. It's now time for run two and Will is up first again nailing everything perfectly. But Nick is next and he completes even more impressive tricks. He's the winner of the men's half pipe. That's it, that's it.
Speaker 3: I was like, it's.
Speaker 2: What just happened. Those two guys did three tricks and that that's it. So that's it. This is nationally televised, by the way, but I.
Speaker 3: Know that there's more to come because there's still a significant amount of minutes left in the.
Speaker 1: Exactly but still, but Kayla is impressed. Will's not bad for taking a year off coming in second out of two.
Speaker 2: Will laughs. Wait till next year he might come first out of two.
Speaker 1: Now it's time for the women's half pipe, and it's Kayla's turn.
Speaker 2: Somewhat on the nose.
Speaker 1: Song one Girl Revolution starts playing, and remember this is the same song we hear during the drill team finals in the classic two thousand and two d com Cadet Kelly.
Speaker 2: So it's great recycling. It is iconic.
Speaker 1: We just got iconic from our producers, which it is. Kela lands all her tricks and rocks out Equippler. She's elevated her style and execution. Another great run. Sky's up next, and she's also very impressive. But Kayla's still in the lead. But it's time for run two. Sky's up first, because again there's only two people competing. She sticks her landing and scores all nines and tens. Sebastian Scott's a Kayla beat that even the announcer says it'll take an impossibly perfect performance for Kayla to win. But what does Kayla always say? Come on, Sabrina, What does Kayla always say?
Speaker 3: Nothing's impossible?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: She always says, he's six two and I want to take him? Said it is, everyone knows that. And as she rates her turn, Kayla's dad shows up, because what better time to solve everything with your child, right before her impossible run where she's gonna be twisting upside down and possibly heard here, and says he owes her an apology. When he saw her up there tonight he realized how much he'd underestimated her. She's always been his little girl, but tonight he realizes she's grown up, and he couldn't be prouder of her. They hug at Sebastian Nick watch on. Sebastian tells Nick that that was all sappy Father of the Pride, and that's not gonna help her.
Speaker 2: But Nick snaps back, how is the father support a bad thing?
Speaker 1: And it was like, oh wow, Nick's losing it at the wrong time.
Speaker 2: There's a whole other thing going on, Nick, He did, there's a whole nother problem.
Speaker 3: We have had like a you know, a build up of this from the Galla. He's like torn down by how he I mean, the things the guy said at at Nick. Sebastian said at Nick at the Galla, We're just so harsh Dad, not even just a coach.
Speaker 2: Like, Oh, Nick.
Speaker 3: Just can't take it anymore. You will not stand for this.
Speaker 2: Why is that bad? Why is it bad? Sebastian says he doesn't see any point in excessive praise.
Speaker 1: But Nick's ass how about any praise, Dad, real praise, not just because of the medals they wear or how they cheat the GoAhead.
Speaker 2: He's like losing it.
Speaker 1: Is this This is obviously a conversation many years.
Speaker 2: In the meeting.
Speaker 3: Can I wish Paul would have gotten shots like, okay, awkward, this is awkward.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, Nick, this is where he breaks and says he knows what really happened with Will's sled, but Sebastian chimes in, this isn't the time or place xnay on the ed sleigh. Nick says he steered Kayla into that sign so his dad could kick her off the team.
Speaker 2: He was just following orders.
Speaker 1: He could have killed her throwing it through a giant signed forty miles an hour.
Speaker 3: Sebastian to come out of nowhere else God seriously attempted murder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, His dad defends himself. Everything he's ever done is to help Nick achieve his dream, but Nick says it's.
Speaker 2: Not his dream. It's his dad. It's not my dream.
Speaker 1: Nick apologizes to Kayla and then walks off. Will knows what's next and asks her you're going for it, don't you. Kayla says nothing's impossible and leaves for her run. The announcer says, you can't imagine the pressure Kayla must be feeling. Not only is it the woman's title in play, but there's only two people that are actually competing, so it's also overall victory for her team.
Speaker 2: And when her run begins.
Speaker 1: Kayla lands a handful of tricks plus the first two parts of the Cloud nine, and when it gets to the final step, Will counts along with the rotations.
Speaker 2: One, two, and she lands the third.
Speaker 1: The announcer screams, someone finally landed the Cloud nine after having attempted it twice.
Speaker 2: And more people and yeah, just the crowd goes wild.
Speaker 1: Kayla not only won the woman's title, she just secured the overall victory for the Hot Doggers. The team hugs her and even Nick and Sebastian are clapping. The guys lift her on the shoulder. She pumps her fist in the air and we get more fireworks, and then we get some bloopers and the snowboarding with the credits, And that is our movie, Sabrina.
Speaker 2: Can we do some real reviews?
Speaker 1: Yes, I've got the five star this week, and I love a good five star review.
Speaker 2: This is from Mick Driel. I think is how you'll say it.
Speaker 1: Okay, absolute cinematic masterpiece. I feel extremely strongly about this movie.
Speaker 2: I love it. Heart emoji. It's basically perfect.
Speaker 1: Luke ben Ward equals heart emoji, Dove Cameron equals heart emoji. Overall, This is one of my favorite Winter d coms ever. I would kill to watch this movie for the first time again. Four heart emojis, Sabrina, what.
Speaker 2: Do you got?
Speaker 3: I've got the one star from our good friend who namad coming from you on Rotten Tomatoes. Here this movie sucked. Wama assnecific? I am gonna need you to chill out of it? Wow? So specific?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: All right, Now we come to Britain's favorite portion of our program. That is, of course, our feature game, and this one is called by the Numbers. So we recapped a snowboarding movie and so this week's game is about rotisserie chicken recipes. I'm kidding, of course it's about snowboarding.
Speaker 2: We'll be given a.
Speaker 1: World record involving the sport with a number. Then we have to decide if the real record is higher or lower than the number we've been given.
Speaker 2: Three out of five wins. Wow, okay, okay. Well, first of all, who are we playing with today?
Speaker 3: You have MICHAELA today, Yeah, Michaela. Good luck.
Speaker 2: Here we go. Number one.
Speaker 1: Darren Powell of Australia holds the record for the fastest untowed speed on a snowboard, set in nineteen ninety nine. Is it higher or lower than one hundred and thirteen miles an hour?
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, ah, you go first, untowed? Yeah, so it's just tim going down a mountain. Yeah, I'm going to say that this number one thirteen is higher than the record.
Speaker 2: Right, So lower is what is the answer you're looking for? Okay?
Speaker 3: So is it higher or lower than if the record is lower?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you think the record's lower?
Speaker 1: I untowed, I'm gonna agree with you. I think the record has to be lower. Yeah, it's higher one hundred and twenty five point five miles per hour.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's horrifying.
Speaker 1: Always bet against Sabrina, will always bet against Sabrina.
Speaker 2: God, what was I thinking?
Speaker 1: Number two, another Australian, Valentino Juicelli, set the high air world record in a quarter pipe by launching himself higher or lower than thirty six feet four inches in the air.
Speaker 2: I'll go first this time. I think it's higher than that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say higher, correct, thirty eight feet ten inches.
Speaker 2: Forty that's a four story building. That's crazy, all right, So we're one in one.
Speaker 1: Number three, Sweden's Jasper to Jader successfully slid his snowboard on a rail for a number higher or lower than four hundred and thirty two feet.
Speaker 2: It's gotta be lower than lower, lower.
Speaker 3: It's higher five hundred and seven feet.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Number four. Hiroto Ogiwara of Japan made history at X Games Aspen in twenty twenty five by landing the first ever higher or lower than five full rotations on a snowboard.
Speaker 3: Higher lower Sabrina's correct.
Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 3: He pulled off the first ever twenty three forty, which is six and a half full rotations. I watched that is that puzzle. It was wild. So I already lost, and you would think it would take so long right in there, He's like, it was like, I'm nuts. When they count, I mean you you'd have to like go freeze frame to like even count them. It was crazy.
Speaker 2: So you could win. I've already lost. Here you go. Number five German Basti Ritchig holds the record for the longest fifty to fifty grind and the snowboard sliding a distance of higher lawyer than two hundred and ninety point five feet higher, higher, Yeah, it's crazy, because everything's crazy.
Speaker 3: Oh man, No, it's lower seventy point five. He did higher one through four and five did lower Jensen's getting smarter. Damn it, he is.
Speaker 2: He is crazy. Okay, by the way, you both lost. Can we do some Sabrina seas.
Speaker 3: Ah Okay. I found it really interesting that this was the first time someone had told her like, yeah, you got that because of your dad. Like the fact that this was like never something that was on her radar. I know that's not what her character was. She was sweeter, but like, come on, like.
Speaker 2: I know, I know.
Speaker 3: Okay, So why does Sebastian hate her so much? Because he has right from the start when we meet Sebastian when she is snowboarding and then wins, even after we find out later. I thought back during that first time of watching her, he had this scowl on his face. He just like hated this girl.
Speaker 1: I think it was because I think what they did was they set it up to where she was not very good as a snowboarder in the beginning, like she was passable, right, and so he keeps having to fake the competition, whereas if he was able to bring in the person he wanted, which is probably Sky Okay, then.
Speaker 2: His team would be, you know, way bigger than it was.
Speaker 1: And his kid, who's dating this girl's is being held back by her like all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: Okay, I just couldn't understand. I mean it's right from the beginning. It's like, why does this guy who's her coach hate her so much?
Speaker 2: He's's kind of like woolf.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wish that I had caught on to this. But the line that we get in so many of these Z comms, both O d E and md E both eras the amount of times that say you don't even know me.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, of course, I wish we could go because.
Speaker 3: All of so many of them you don't even know me. We just had one that said that just recently. Again we didn't really say much about it. But where were the dogs during that breakup scene? I mean they were just roaming around and then she finally got them. I had a big question at the end. This one came later. First of all, if the girl who didn't talk, I needed some resolution and needed to know why there wasn't there was no scene and we had time, Remember we have five minutes to spare. Why why why? Why? I needed to know. And then my last thing was I did ask Jordan, remember when you when we when wed of preface that this was going to be our new movie, and I say, Cloud Nine reminds me of a club that we just went to, and I think that.
Speaker 2: Was the name of it.
Speaker 3: Ye asked Jordan, and it was it was the game of the club that you can go to at the top of one of the chairlifts and at the very end. But then what I had to tell you was finishing my story being there after everyone is going crazy, it's the end of the season party, and then watching some of these people stumble out and the security just allowed them to stumble out because you have to board down. There was no like shuttle taking you down after this. You had to board down it, or.
Speaker 2: There's people drunkenly snowboarding.
Speaker 3: Yes, I was so freaked out on the mountain because I was watching some of these people like I wanted to I had Jordan, and I like waited a bit because I was like, I want them to get down the mountain before, like I'm going down because I don't want to be hit by one of course crazy people. But yes, that it is actually a very fun time and that experience was insane to watch people just spray move all over the place, and it happens every day, every day at the end of the day, and.
Speaker 1: Then just have to drop a snowboard on and then head on and then just head on.
Speaker 3: I think they were, you know, this was a lot of people. They're probably not as many people, but they were definitely watching, but they were kind of like observing. And yeah, there was just really just one lady that I saw that I was like, oh my gosh, that.
Speaker 2: Woman should not be snowboarding.
Speaker 3: There's a snowmobile right there. Someone take it down.
Speaker 1: Someone, please do something. Let her get on the chair lift. Even though it's a safety issue.
Speaker 3: It's a safety issue because.
Speaker 2: The drunken snowboarding is not a safety issue.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh, Mad, Anyway, I think we are what we're at the time where we're gonna get some options of how we're scoring.
Speaker 2: I think we are.
Speaker 1: Let's figure out what this movie is, so how let's do one on a ten.
Speaker 2: Let's you five as the middle.
Speaker 3: Okay, so I done this one before, but all.
Speaker 2: Then let's do two is the second one?
Speaker 3: Okay? All right?
Speaker 2: Our options this week are one out of ten crankheads.
Speaker 3: It's still not over that.
Speaker 2: Don't know what that is. Backside melons, one out of ten.
Speaker 1: Poodles and sunglasses, Boomtown banging vos, she laxers one out of ten, penn and tellers with no real reason for them one out of ten, Silent wood ups one out of ten, hater ass parents, triple cork, mctwist fourteen forties, Hot Doggers, which is your favorite? One out of ten? Fireworks budgets? Oh and I want to add one out of ten. I want to touch him because he's six foot two. Uh, your pick, Sabrina, What do you want to do this week? Oh?
Speaker 3: My gosh, I think I'm gonna go with the Hot Doggers.
Speaker 2: Ooh and you weren't even a fan of the Hot Doggers, got it?
Speaker 3: Hot Doggers? But I do. I will say this is one of the things. Actually I skipped over and that Paul always has some funny thing, whether it's a funky mascot like this was his funny mascot like his like hot Doggers is We're gonna I have an idea. We're gonna name the team hot Talkers. I feel like that's a nod to Paul.
Speaker 2: I love that. Okay, all right, wait, wait who scores? Are you first or my first?
Speaker 3: I think I'm first this time.
Speaker 2: You go first, you go first, you go first.
Speaker 3: So I again, this wasn't like a shocking movie seeing that it was about snowboarding. Knowing it was a sports we kind of knew where it was going. It was easy to know the new couple, who the new couple was gonna become, all of that kind of stuff. But I still loved it. I think Disney does these sports movies so awesome. I just love the movie in the sense of it had and for me, one thing that has we've missed from a couple of the other ones. Even though there was only two people battling it out, was a really good, like sport like comp at the end. That was I loved it. Gave me everything I needed start to finish.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: And I think it pushed the envelope, knowing that we're in our md E push the envelope than what we've seen in so many of our other d coms. And I loved it. I'm gonna score, by the way, I am now even just even more a bigger fan of of Dove Cameron. I think she is just so cute. I love now, I love Goldiehan, I love Kate Hudson. Now that you've put that in my head, I'm ever gonna not see it right. So I'm giving this an eight point five hot doggers.
Speaker 1: Wow, high score, high school. Okay, I agree with a lot of what you said. Again, I will say this, there was nothing special about this dcom uh. The the the cast is great, really good cast.
Speaker 2: I think the now that we're in m D trademark of magical rewind probably please they'll take it. Please don't take that.
Speaker 1: I think the casts are consistent now, like you're you're usually getting a much more consistent cast in the new modern era than you were in kind of some of the old school ones, which could be a little hit or miss because there weren't Sometimes they had Disney stars, but there weren't like the Disney machine stars that there are nowadays. So Dove Cameron, great, Luke Benward. That was was great as well.
Speaker 2: The cast, their chemistry was good. I enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed this movie. There's just there was nothing kind of special about it. Again, I wasn't surprised by anything in this movie. There was no twist, there was a This was a decom by numbers, but a good one, certainly a good one. I enjoyed my eighty five minutes, and I'm glad it was eighty five minutes. Had it has been ninety five minutes, I would have had a problem. I did not score it as high as you did, but it's still a good movie. I gave this seven point five hot Doggers because that again, enjoyable movie, good cast. But seeing this story one hundred thousand times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you know we had it at this point. If you think in twenty fourteen we had not seen a snowboarding movie, yeah, or yin since we haven't john since Johnny Tsunami, which was in the nineties.
Speaker 1: Right, I agree, but it's you know, then then do a modern day bad.
Speaker 2: Awesome snowboard movie. You know what I mean? Like you, No, I agree with you one hundred percent. It was a good snowboarding movie. That's fine.
Speaker 1: Do something. You know that this was a paint by numbers movie, and again not a bad You knew where it was going. Good team, bad team, boyfriend okay, the good looking guy who runs the thing like you. There was never any like, oh my god, that's different.
Speaker 2: It was. It was what I expected. I knew.
Speaker 1: I was literally saying, and I did the sitting next to Susan, and she's like, oh my god, I was saying the lines that the actors were saying before they were saying them. Yeah, because I knew what was coming. I just I knew what was next. I knew that A you were you're good, You're just not great. I knew the I just knew every beat that.
Speaker 2: Was gonna happen.
Speaker 1: So that doesn't make it a bad movie. It just makes it a standard dcom and it was a good one. So yeah, that's why I stick with seven point five hot Dogs. The question, though, is our next movie gonna be a good one? Our next movie is something well, frankly, I can answer some questions on right now, because not only do I know this movie exists, but well I'm in it. It's the two thousand and five animated film titled Kim Possible.
Speaker 2: So the drama it's actually the Kim Possible movie.
Speaker 1: So the drama that's right, ron Stoppable himself will be recapping a Kim Possible movie. It's currently available to stream on Disney Plus, so jump ahead and go do your homework. But first, we're very excited because we're not done with Cloud nine just yet. We chatted with Mike Manning, who is Nick Swift in this movie, and he had an awful lot to say about his time in Utah.
Speaker 2: And the snow for this particular film. So let's get a little tease of what's to come on this week's Park Copper episode.
Speaker 5: I'm just doing this chemistry with Dove and they're asking me to improv and I how, I mean so much fun, never breaking character as Australian, and so we're doing it and then they send me out of the like they send me out and they're talking about it. They call me back in and they have me do another scene and then Paul goes, hey, Mike, I'm so sorry to do this to you. We might make the role American. How's your American accent? And immediately immediately I was like, well it's fine, and you could have heard a pin drop. Everybody goes.
Speaker 2: Where are you from?
Speaker 5: And I said Colorado and that's me.
Speaker 2: He was so much fun to talk. To make sure you go and check that out.
Speaker 1: All you have to do is subscribe to the dedicated Magical Rewind feed, where there's tons of exclusive episodes.
Speaker 2: They're available to download.
Speaker 1: Just search for Magical Rewind wherever you get your podcasts, and until next time, please remember that ODE and md A are are trademarked of the Magical Rewind podcast and please don't steal them.
Speaker 3: Goodbyee bye,