Speaker 1: To on remove dallin deep speedles peas do.
Speaker 2: From the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 1: This is Drivetime with Travis Wingfield.
Speaker 2: He's got my ad hands in the playoffs. What is up, Dolph Fans? And welcome to the Draft Time Podcast. I am your host, Travis Wingfield. And on today's show we have another combine recap of sorts for you guys.
Speaker 1: On the episode, we'll.
Speaker 2: Talk about the workouts that happened on the field, plus some gibber jabber from around the NFL media landscape, and a heck of a lot more from the Baptist Health Studios. We're back home inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is the Draft Time Podcast by day. So we're back home from Indianapolis. And first off, it was great, it always is. I just think the connectedness, if that's a word, of the downtown area in Indy is what a city is supposed to be, almost like European in its style, because in America and South Florida especially, everything is like a half hour drive. Right If you venture into Miami itself and you're not a proward boy like I am, and you go into that traffic.
Speaker 1: It's at least an hour long commute no matter where you go.
Speaker 2: But everything in Indy is close, and there are sky bridges and indoor walkways that prevent you from having to bear the cold weather too much. Now, that wouldn't have mattered one iota on Tuesday when it was a record high sixty five degrees on a February twenty eighth, I believe was that day in Indianapolis. Then a overnight massive windstorm pushes in thirty degree temperatures with a consistent fifteen mile per hour wind and gusts up to thirty miles per hour. And the only part that required outside for me and JT are a great videographer. Here is our walk from our hotel to the convention center, and it was literally a quarter mile, but lugging some gear in those temperatures and those winds who buddy the humidity down here is so many things right, and we think often negatively about that. But I'll tell you this, if you haven't left South Florida in sometime and gone to a cold weather environment, the way your skin dries out, my goodness, my knuckles were like getting cracked by the end of it, is that.
Speaker 1: Why South Florida is home to so many beautiful folks.
Speaker 2: I tend to think it is that the sunshine tends to invite, you know, different type of clothing that requires different type of bodies. Right, But I digress from all that. Speaking of bodies and how they look, let's talk about the combine. But still I want to get more on this Indianapolis life because I also had the best burger of my entire life when I was there, and by total accidents. So JT once again and I went to the Pacers and Pelicans game on Wednesday, which awesome, awesome arena right in the heart of downtown Indianapolis. And after that, we tried to go to this brewery that was right now next door because cold Weather didn't want to walk too far. But their kitchen closed at nine and we got there at eight forty five. And I refuse to be that guy. JT is what we refuse to be those guys like fire up your kitchen, go ahead and make us some stakes.
Speaker 1: Twenty minutes past a closing time. It was just burgers, but I wasn't gonna do it right.
Speaker 2: So the trip was great, had a great time, got a chance to talk to some prospects and some media folks and watch the workouts all weekend long and just really had a great time. So I want to go ahead now, though, and pivot and talk about the actual combine and the on field workouts, because I know you guys, that's what you come here for, right, You don't care about the great good egg burger I had at the District Tap in downtown Indianapolis. So I want to talk about just a handful of these guys and position groups and what we learned from this year's scouting combine.
Speaker 1: And it started off.
Speaker 2: I'm going kind of an order here with who worked out in order, and it kicked off with the linebackers and defensive line right. I took a look at that class and man, the way Chop Robinson runs, the way Darius Robinson measured in multi pole categories, the way layout to Latu's film and workout all goes together. I think you look at those three edge players, and I haven't gotten deep enough into it yet to give you real insight perspective on the fifth and sixth round draft picks that you could potentially be looking at in that spot, or even the guys in the third and fourth round if Miami are to trade back and get themselves back into the middle of this year's draft class, which I hope that's what happens, because I think we need more picks in that range to hit and be guys that can be contributors on those cheap rookie contracts. But for the edge group, those three guys I think really kind of pinged my interest in terms of guys that could potentially be there. I think Chopp ran himself right into the top twenty. He's the Penn State guy. I never thought Lot two would make it because he's just so damn good even if the medical isn't where you want to be. I mean, that's kind of what happened to Jalen Phillips, and he went eighteenth overall because the measurables and the just pure production of his playing time and what the tape showed you it was it was inarguable right, it was so good, and I think that's where law to falls. Whereas Darius Robinson from Missouri, Gosh, he has that similar you know, kind of kind of like Christian Wilkins inside outside pivot ability, two hundred and ninety three pounds, really good bend around the edge, and he showed you that with the way he ran the shuttle in the three cone and in the forty yard dash and all the stuff that really measures your movement skills and your explosiveness. So watching those guys get after on that first day makes me think those are some options there at that position.
Speaker 1: And we're gonna talk on Wednesday's podcast about this.
Speaker 2: I've kind of pivoted out of what I've been telling you guys for a long time here on the podcast, and I've been talking about the interior offensive line because if you go back over Chris Career's draft history, the Dolphins draft history since his you know, appointment in twenty sixteen, but really in recent years as well, they haven't gone outside of the premium spots in those draft classes. The one exception to that was Minka Fitzpatrick, and Minka Fitzpatrick wasn't really I mean, he played more cornerback in Miami than he did safety, and when you consider him a safety at Alabama, you knew it was this idea of slot safety mix. You know, rush the quarterback, fit the run, play some perimeter cornerback. Like you knew it was coming. With a caveat this is this guy's not just a safety. He can play multiple spots in your secondary and never leave the field. And those guys that do that, like we saw with Derwin James get his big contractor Eumenka himself get those big contracts. You see the value that league places on guys by how they get paid when it comes up to contract time, and so Minca Fitzpatrick's second contract would tell you that he wasn't in a non premium position, whether it was with Miami or the Pittsburgh Steelers or Alabama, because he got paid commesurate with guys that have a bigger impact than what your traditional safety Will Garner, right, And Javon Holland probably falls into a category more along that line than he does. You know, Deshaun Elliott, for instance, who got you know, played really well last year, but you can see where the safety market kind of comes up short by the compensation there. Or Kyle Hamilton for the Baltimore Ravens, who was the best player in that draft a couple of years ago, right, like it was clear he was the best player in the damn class, and he goes fourteenth because he plays a position that doesn't have that value perceived to the other groups, because if you go back to twenty sixteen first round Laemye Tunzel, I'm doing my Wednesday podcast bit already.
Speaker 1: I'm kind of regretting this.
Speaker 2: Twenty seventeen Charles Harris was an edge, twenty eighteen MINKA. Twenty nineteen Christian Wilkins a defensive tackle that has become again eighty five percent snap taker inside outside versatility, like he's gonna get paid at a level that shows you that's kind of a premium spot at this stage, or at least on the periphery of premium positional value. Right, Like, linebackers don't make that much. Running backs don't make that much. Tight ends don't make that much. Safeties don't make that much. Guards don't make that much. Twenty twenty first round quarterback, offensive tackle, cornerback. Like three of the premier positions twenty twenty one, the ones we didn't check off in twenty twenty, receiver and edge. Those are the five premier positions, right with Waddle and Phillips. Those were your picks then then twenty twenty two, no draft pick, No twenty no draft pick in twenty two, So was it seven of those nine picks were premium spots, and the two guys that were not premium spots have kind of become premium players from their production and just kind of their usage in general. So I'm kind of pivoting off that thought into I think the first round probably belongs to a premium position because what better way to maximize your resources you have and the value of that pick than to make it a player you have for four years under cost control rookie contract at a position where when that player hits like you hope they do by year two, three or four and becomes a premier player, you're now getting premiere production for a fraction of the cost of what that would cost for an extension or even more beyond that the top of the market free agency, right because we know that when guys resigned to their own clubs, and we just saw today Mike Evans got a new contract from the Buccaneers, which, by the way, how cool is to watch Jets Twitter meltdown?
Speaker 1: That was like their top target the entire year.
Speaker 2: That was kind of how they got themselves through the season, and already before free agency gets here, he's already off the board.
Speaker 1: I just hate that team so much.
Speaker 2: But you saw him get paid by the Bucks and take take a little bit of a haircut. Not much, but he probably could have got more on the open market, because when you get to the open market, it becomes a feeding frenzy, a bidding war, an opportunity for teams to say, well, they offered you this, you know, top of the market. We can go a little bit beyond that and stretch because we have.
Speaker 1: All this cap space.
Speaker 2: Because by the way, when you have cap space, it means you probably suck the year before we have that, so we can afford to pay it to you. And that's what teams tend to do, and that's how you get yourself into cap hell. That's how this team was ran under Mike Tannembum for a long time, where they would milk these you know, aging players who are beyond their prime yeers of their career and give them money into the back end of their contract with these restructures in order to open up money right now for that one splash signing. And then we drop in Dominican sue in and have no offensive line, have no running game, have me you know, as you guys will say, the kids out there, mid receivers that has questionable defensive backfield, but we got Dominican Sue damn it, we won March again. Like, that's how how bad teams are ran. And when you can offset those ideas with production at the rookie level, that's where you get your big wins. So I think that the idea for the Dolphins and a lot of teams across the league, drafting those premium positions tends to be the smarter play, and when you hit on them, gosh, it works out because we're going to have like Phillips and Waddle next year, assuming they.
Speaker 1: Don't get extended, which maybe they do.
Speaker 2: But if you have them in the what would be one, two three the fourth year of their career, like they're going to be playing like top ten receivers and edge rushers but being paid like, you know, thirty fifth among their position group. That's where you really get the maximum value from those spots. So that's why I include Chop Robinson and Darius Robinson and layout two lat too, because I think that position is well with him play right there and it makes sense with how this class could stack up. So those guys to me kind of won the early portion of the workout I want to finish up this first segment talking about the player that really jumped off the workouts for me, actually, there was a couple of the Kentucky linebackers in there.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: He was really athletic and moved around and showed you some of this ability because to me, we don't talk about linebackers as a premium position.
Speaker 1: But man, when you go back and look at the.
Speaker 2: Final four teams the last couple of years, they tend to have a couple of traffic cops in the middle of the field who can really erase that deep hook zone right where we live. The Dolphins live on those fifteen eighteen yard rips on time from Tua to Tyreek, from Tua to waddle from Tuda Ceddrick Wilson doesn't.
Speaker 1: Matter to it to anybody.
Speaker 2: To to me, the linebackers that can minimize that and use length and speed to get depth, but also have the recognition and the length and the speed to get downhill and impact the running game. That all marries off of each other, right, And so those types of players you're Fred warners, Gosh, they sure are valuable. So there are exceptions to every position group, and the Kentucky kid can move. But when I go back to that linebacker group, Peyton Wilson from NC State man, he looks like the next one to me. Because again going back over the final four of the Chiefs with Gay and Drew Trankwell and Nick Bolton, or the Niners with Fred Warner and dra Greenlaw, or the Ravens with ro qwant Smith and Patrick Queen. All these teams, the Lions alex Anzeloni and Jack Campbell both had great years this year as a rookie and a free agent that was kind of cast off from a previous regime.
Speaker 1: Right, All these teams have these guys that can impact the game that way.
Speaker 2: And the nice part about it is I don't think you have to spend high draft capital to get those types of players. Fred Warner was a second round draft pick. Ro Quan Smith went very, very high, but he was like a unicorn in that sense. Patrick Queen was a late first round draft pick. Drake Greenlaw was drafted way down the board, right, Alexandzelini like a fifth round draft pick. Jack Campbell wasn't the first round, but you can kind of see there's this blend of size speed combination in the ability to impact the hooks Owe. I think that Peyton Wilson might be that guy, and it might not cost you a premium pick to do it. One because of the positional value and what you're hoping he becomes, which he's not yet. And two he has a medical history. But this guy can run man and he's got the length. It's like almost it's almost Brian Erlacker s because you guys areann to play Madden back in the day when Brian Urlacker in the rushing attack game just was like bigger than everybody else and faster than everybody else and just ruined it if you were trying to play against that defense. It kind of reminds me of that at his best. So I thought he really won the day on Friday, along with those edge players that I talked about. And there's gonna be tons of guys we don't cover here on one edition of the podcast, but very interesting crop there. I want to go ahead and take our first break right here and come back and talk about the dbs that ran well and what that group could look like, and also come back and talk about the offense. Plenty more to come your way here on this Monday Combine Recap edition of the Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought.
Speaker 1: To you by Auto Nation.
Speaker 2: So, defensive beck is another one of those premium positions, and not defensive beck per se. More so the cornerback spot right that is one of your quarterback, receiver, tackle, edge, corner are the five premium positions in the National Football League. And I've seen it from folks out there, Folks that you know, folks that I know, ghost to Adam Gaates, what's up, buddy, how you doing talking about like if they take a cornerback it's a miss, dog, No it ain't. It's never a miss to hit on a great player at a premium position for all the reasons I just laid out. And when I watched these cornerbacks scoot and toote baby, there was eight of them that ran forties sub four four. There are all kinds of guys in this class that can reroute, that can be physical, that can get up in your face and change the complexion of how these timing offenses want to work and then have the vertical speed to get deep when they lose their press at the lion of scrimmage. And for Miami, where I think that I think you invest in Jalen Ramsey for a long time and make him finish his career here however long he wants that to be, and you play him at that cornerback position where he can kind of move about, and Coach Weaver talked about his flexibility and how valuable it is to a football team. You maximize that while he has that skill set, and then once he loses a half step, I think he can become one of the best safeties in the National Football League. So for me, heavily in Jalen Ramsey's future. And we know that camp Smith has a lot of ability. We know that I believe in camp Smith as much as anybody out there, But you cannot tell me fortifying that position and investing in it for your biggest resource that you have your first round draft pick and to hit on that spot with what you have in Ramsey, with what you have in cater Co who which if camp Smith works out, these guys would all play at some point right.
Speaker 1: Cornerbacks tend to do that. We saw it last year in training camp.
Speaker 2: The cornerback position each of the last two years completely decimated. So I look at the way the cornerbacks ran and then some of the guys in this class, like if Quinny and Mitchell after the way he worked out, I think he's cornerback one now after his Combine and Senior bowlwork from Toledo to overtake a guy from Alabama and Terry and Arnold who only ran a four or five but still goes in the first round, and you think that probably was going to be cornerback one before all the pre draft stuff happened. And by the way, if he's at twenty one, wouldn't hesitate it either. Terry Arnold's a great looking prospect. So my whole point is if be because of some of these workouts and some of the moves and some of how the position board stacks in terms of you know, Matt Miller talked about in the podcast last week.
Speaker 1: I keep reading about it on Twitter.
Speaker 2: Twenty of thirty two picks in the first round are going to be offense at minimum. You know, all this talk about the offensive talent in the quarterback position, the offensive line, the receiver position. If that has an impact where it pushes down the corners and edge players and you get into the crack at a Jalen Phillips, you get into the crack in the second round in Xavion Howard like turn the freaking cart in Man, I'll take four years of elite play for fraction of the cost of what that elite play cost at a premium position. That's my point. Don't draft for your needs right now. That's a terrible way to do it, terriboy, to approach your team building because next year, guess what, your knees will be different. And you'd rather have a premiere, five star, blue chip cornerback than a three and a half star center because you needed center in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: Get me.
Speaker 2: So those are the guys that really caught my eye there. I've talked about slot cornerbacks for days in this podcast. Let's go ahead and pivot now to the tight end clash because I wrote down four names here that also worked out that I thought were super impressive, and they are Taylor McLoughlin from Arizona, Jatavian Sanders from Texas. I've talked about Brevin span Fod from Minnesota, A Bunch, and Ben sinnat Son. I don't know how to pronounce that. I haven't heard it said yet from Kansas State. But holy moly, man, the Kansas State kid, Let's pull him up real quick. His combine four six eight forty was impressive. And I watched him at the Senior Bowl, and he was a tricky evaluation there for me because he got himself in and out of the notes because he kept on wasting fools like leaving dudes in his dust in his tracks and then wouldn't squeeze the football. But you go to the combine and he's six foot four and he's two hundred and fifty pounds and he jumped a forty inched vertical and a ten foot six broad. Oh and by the way, his three cone was better than a lot of receivers at six point eight two with a four to two three shuttle and a one five to nine ten split. That might be your tight end rate there. And I don't know where he goes off the board, but my goodness, what a workout for this guy who also from Kansas State's program, does money of end line blocking and gets himself attached to edges and linebackers and safeties alike in the blocking game. Pretty excited about what he could possibly be for the Miami Dolphins if he winds up a Miami Dolphin I'm curious what. Let me pull this up real quick because I think his three cone, Yeah, he was the fastest among all tight ends.
Speaker 1: What if we get rid of that qualifier? How do you get rid of the qualifiers? Six eight to two? Dude?
Speaker 2: He was one, two, three, four five six seven eight. He was the ninth fastest three cone. A cornerback, a receiver, three receivers, a running back, a quarterback, a running back, a corner A tight end shows up in this in this list.
Speaker 1: What the hell's he doing there? What what are you doing up there?
Speaker 2: Uh so? Yeah, Benson note from Kansas State. I am very intrigued by his skill set as that kind of stretch athletic tight end but also can impact the running game. And then Jatavian Sanders with the guy that you heard Jordan Reed talk about on the podcast on Thursday from Texas. This guy's impressive man tall, can get down the football field, can pluck the ball top of helmets of safeties, and just kind of stretch teams inside that way. And we actually heard Tyreek Hill talk about which player in the class he would want the most for the Dolphins to draft on hit one of his twitch streams or whatever the hell I'm trying to talk about here, and he said he wants to give from LSU and Neighbors. Now, I'm like, Tyreek Neighbors is gonna be a top six pick. Bro, He's not gonna be there. But he was Tyreek Sam like, I can play more on the slot. I could be Aman Ross Saint Brown, he said, which was kind of funny, but thinking about the possibility of players of that size that can go outside and win on the perimeter. So the Tyreek can get more work inside because last year Tyreek and Waddell couldn't play as much slot. Why because we don't have the guys on the outside to win. Cedric Wilson was on an outside guy. River Craik crafts on an outside guy. Baxenberry was sure is held on an outside guy. So maybe that's something you look at there. Although I still tend to believe that you should go after players that are just good and have speed and are good players, regardless of the type of players you already have in that position group. And that's why we land here on Texas's Xavier Worthy. If you guys saw me tweet about this, I put a comment up on the old tweeter about his record breaking forty yard dash of four point two one seconds. He eclips John Ross who ran four to two two back in was it nine for the U dub Husky and got drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 1: Was it nine? I don't know when that was.
Speaker 2: I could be way off on that, but yeah, Xavier Worthy is a new record holder for combine forty yard dash. And there was a play where he catches a jet sweep against some college team who cares you'll watch it anyways. Uh. He wins the short corner where the cornerback is in the fit, which is the furthest like portion of the field, like it's the perimeter, and Worthy's like, I got you and just runs right around him, kind of like Tyreek in the Denver game on that opening touchdown when he ran right around a corner who thought he had the angle cut off and didn't and lost and it was six points. Like that, speed man, you put one more of those guys in the field, just one more of them, like it multiplies what everybody else Wattle, Tyreek eight chan, like it multiplies their skill. I am very intrigued by the idea of Xavier Worthy and all these receivers. Man, this is such a good receiver class. It's why I kind of want to move off the first round, use that first round pick for I don't know whoever it might be. You know, I think Fatana's gone the U dub tackle, but maybe it's him. If you move back in the draft a little bit, you get an extra third round pick, and you come back and you use that third round pick for a receiver in the second round, pick can be your offensive lineman.
Speaker 1: Like, there's a lot of options here for.
Speaker 2: The Dolphins, and I think because of the way this class is constructed and the deep positions that you have needs at like offensive line and receiver, it can afford you the opportunity to kind of sit back and go get those positions at various points of the draft because there's flavor for everybody at every stage of the draft. I think that's what we learned from this year's combine was just how deep and how good it is back there. But Xavier Worthy is the one that gets the marquee here because he's certainly earned it. Right.
Speaker 1: How about the running backs, there was a kid from LSU Isaac.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I've never heard his name pronounced, which is funny because I watched his opening game for Louisville back and opening weekend in college football. Six foot one, two hundred and twenty one pounds, Isaac Garendo. I think it is he ran very fast for three to three I mean, come on, that speed plays in our backfield right a one to five to five ten split, forty one and a half inch vert ten nine broad six nine to four to three cone. He is fast as all get out, and that's what you want in this backfield.
Speaker 1: And I think I could.
Speaker 2: I would have no problem turning the card for a fifth round draft pick on a running back like that, and all of a sudden, I have my next eight chan moster speed guy. Chris Brooks is in the fold as well. My backfield's done right there. Cut it, call it good, and then maybe in two years your backfield is, you know, two years of cheap production with eight chan on the rokie contract and Isaac Garendo on the rookie contract. That's something I was looking at with those running back positions. I touched on the offensive line there a little bit. I mean, Troy Fatano is the one that really jumps off the page right, the way he moved the screen drill, the wave drill, the forty yard dash, the ten split. He was five to zhero one one one, seven to one on the ten split, which is gosh, that's choice that really puts you in premier position in terms of how you move and how you fit in this Dolphins system. Right, and then the whole group is like that. Amarius Mims had a crazy, crazy short shule time that size.
Speaker 1: He is a very rare breed.
Speaker 2: In fact, I pulled up this great tweet from Josh Norris, who does fantastic work for Underdog Football, and he covers this. He tracks us every single year.
Speaker 1: It's his.
Speaker 2: It's his offensive line threshold statistic that I think, really it's impossible to argue. Quite frankly, let's go ahead and let's see where is it.
Speaker 1: It's my bookmark.
Speaker 2: There you go. So his his criteria is this four to four to seven short shuttle or better. There is twenty four guys that have been drafted since twenty ten with that criteria, and the whole list, I mean, it's it's Nate Solder, Anthony Costanzo, Andre Dillard, Yikes. Ko Koog's the one miss on there, Eric Fisher's, Ion Johnson, Jake Matthews, Joel Patonio, Jake Fisher, Ali Marpette, like right, star tackles star players to the next level, and six guys hit that threshold this year, Wisconsin's Tanner Bordelini four two eight for two eight. He actually also clipped Jason Kelsey's record breaking three cone time of seven to two. He was a seven to one to six guy. Like amazing, Amarus Mims at that size, This guy is a freak man. That's the kind of guy that I could see mine. He been like, Yeah, let's take a chance on the Marius Mims because he is high weight, speed combination to be the best tackle in the NFL with the way he looks. Just hasn't had the college tape and he has had some injury issues there. But pick twenty one, that's kind of a gamble you can make in that position there. If he makes it that far, I doubt he does. Kansas is Dominic Puney. We talked about him with Daniel Jeremiah on the conference call a couple weeks ago. He also got some reps at centers. Maybe he can play some of that role. Well, that's a pretty good place to be right there, right, NC State's Dylan McMahon four four five, us C's Jarrett Kingston, former Washington State coogu transferred he was four four seven, and then Arkansas's guard Brady Latham. So, man, like those are names you're gonna hear on day three. Like that, I'm intrigued by that and looking into that as guys to look at. So that's offensive line we talked about receivers. Quarterbacks is the last one here before a final break on the show, and I still continue to come away from this. I know Caleb didn't throw. I know, you know a lot of the the quarterbacks mostly didn't test, but damn it, with the way Michael Pennix spends the football is better than anybody else in the class. I know he's got injury issues. I know he hasn't doesn't move the way Caleb does for sure. I haven't watched the tape yet. I'm going to do it soon, but I still just feel like Michael Pennix, I'm gonna come away from this year's draft evaluations thinking he's the best quarterback in the class.
Speaker 1: I don't know, man, he looks pretty damn good to me.
Speaker 2: Let's go ahead and take our last break right there, come back on the other side, and I have some thoughts for you guys. That's the next Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by AutoNation. This isn't going to be any combined coverage right here. I do want to address a couple of things because one of my favorite things to do in the podcast and in general is to take what other media outlets are doing and give you my thoughts on those thoughts, because I think it's good to have balance and to make where you feel you have some corrections to make, or just to kind of weigh in in general and agree with stuff. And so one of my favorite writers out there right now, and this is so true for so many people that I respect, they.
Speaker 1: Have taken on this form.
Speaker 2: I talked to Kyle Krabs about it all the time, and even the guy I'm talking about even mentions this on the podcast, like they're size queens, man, They're so in love with arm strength. And I was thinking about this other night sitting on the back porch of my house, like arm strength is unanimously agreed upon by most people, as like the sixth or seventh most important quarterback trade. Right, It's just not that it's not up there, it's when you need it. It's great, but it's not needed that frequently. It's like having insane mode on your tesla.
Speaker 1: You ever using that shit? That stuff? Sorry on the turnpike. You're not imagine if a receiver, you.
Speaker 2: Know, like route running all like stem stack, catch point release hands are important, right, what if you know your seventh most important receiver trade is like I don't know, jump balls right, Like it's just not that important. Like the arm strength argument just has gotten so tired because you don't you rarely need it. You need it sometimes, don't get me wrong, but you rarely need that arm strength to fit balls.
Speaker 1: Into those windows down the field.
Speaker 2: It's great to have it, but I just I don't understand why all these really smart football minds have gone this way into thinking like big arm, throw ball far And I'm getting towards Nate Tice, the great writer for Yahoo and does a great podcast with Robert Mays on The Athletic Football Show, and he was on the Around the NFL podcast, which you know that's for him.
Speaker 1: That's like a seminar of education for those guys.
Speaker 2: But he was talking about on this podcast and he has two A ranked like nineteenth on his quarterback list. He subtweeted a tweet about us paying to A and was like doing a Simpsons meme about how it's a bad idea. And then he goes on this podcast and I hear him talk about Caleb Williams. I almost like, Caleb Martin, go heat baby, Caleb Williams. And he was like, well, here's the thing, guys. He has all the creativity, and everyone's trying to find these games and these plays and these clips to make it look like he's not a good player. But you go back and you watch the most important things. How does he play from the pocket, how does he attack the middle of the field. He goes crazy throwing the ball to the middle of the field, He's accurate in those positions he throws on time, and how he hit over seven yards adjusted yards per dropback, which with the great quarterbacks do.
Speaker 1: And I listen them to these traits and I'm thinking, well, all those traits are.
Speaker 2: What Tua is like best in the NFL at and by the way, seven yards per adjusted drop back, Tua was well over those metrics each of the last two years. And that's what Nate was saying was those are the metrics that typically result in the best quarterbacks a year and in year out. And like you look at the list of those quarterbacks, it's Patrick Mahomes, it is Matthew Stafford this year, it is Josh Allen, it's Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 1: It's too Adunga.
Speaker 2: I loa like his peers that he gets measured against for whatever reason because his arm is not big arm, throwball far. He gets excluded from that group. And I don't understand it, because you literally explained in your favorite quarterback traits everything that makes two a special and then you disparage the young man. I don't get It blows my mind. I hope we have this reversion back to the mean at some point where people don't think about how you look in shorts like Zach Wilson throwing the football around an indoor facility, and you start to taking into account more film and processing in football and the actual management of situations and games. That's what I want to see in care about. That's why I like Michael Pennock so much. It's why Caleb Williams scares the hell out of me. Yeah, he does have some of that you know on schedule stuff, but all that running around that ain't gonna work, dude, Like it ain't gonna work unless you've got Lamar speed, it ain't gonna work.
Speaker 1: So I'm curious to see what he looks like. He terrifies me as a prospect.
Speaker 2: I feel like Pennox, even though the medical is terrible and the age is something to look at, is like safer because I know he can do what's required for an NFL quarterback to win.
Speaker 1: One more note here.
Speaker 2: I thought it was hilarious and one of our favorite people talk about the podcast here. A new Werd Dolphins podcast was trying to use Ryan Fitzpatrick's passer rating in twenty twenty to say that he was a vastly superior quarterback to a tongue of b I Lowa because he had like twelve points better in passer rating, and the the same account will tell you that Tua is nowhere near Justin Herbert. Well, have you seen Tua's passeragas to Justin Herbert's last two years? I just want to put down the record. It drives me crazy. And speaking of being driven crazy, let's finish up with this. This podcast is kind of all over the place today, so I apologize for that and I mentioned it, or maybe I'm gonna mention it here with it's to my notes, but so, okay, someone on Twitter, I want to finish here because everyone I've talked to you has told me how much they love this side.
Speaker 1: Of the show or of me. Right, spiey Travis.
Speaker 2: But one thing you have to know doing this stuff, anything within a smidge of the public eye, is that not everyone is going to like you. Tough for me at first, it wasn't conditioned to accept that lifestyle. Now four years into it, a little bit more so, right, some people will irrationally hate you for no other reason than some minuscule Twitter interaction that you don't remember from years ago.
Speaker 1: That always gets me.
Speaker 2: Like people also like sometimes I have interactions where people come up to me, like fans, huge fan of the podcast, Travis, we had this interaction three years ago on Twitter, and they don't tell me their names, Like, I don't know your name, bro, Like I'm not podcasting is like that, right, Like the person that listens thinks they know the podcaster. And I'm a huge fan of my fans, But I can't possibly know who all you are just by looking at you, you know what I'm saying, So like you get this level of like back and forth, it's not really tethered to reality. And so I want to start with this because I think Twitter has largely become a useless tool. Did you guys see the reporter and I'm using air quotes and we use that term extremely lucy, right the Jackwagon who opened up Caleb Williams's presser with the worst question of all time. Right, I'm sure you have and you'll see he did over five million views on that video, which is monetized because of his blue check mark.
Speaker 1: Right, So Elon Lumpy.
Speaker 2: Elon took this really cool way to connect with sports fans, especially during live events. That to me is what Twitter was always about, was watching live events with the rest of the country on Twitter and the rest of the world connecting during a live game. So he took that formula and incentivized idiots to not just be idiots on the platform, Like people calling to a noodle arm to his mom, shut the hell up, like that's not what it's for, people calling Javon Holland names to shut up you know. But now we've seen people take that to real life and do it there because they can monetize it. I had Twitter blue for the season because it's setting money on fire for me not to do that, I apologize. I never thought I would do that, but I had it hit the blue check mark. I'd get rid of it in the off season because I don't tweet enough and I don't want to be on Twitter that much beyond with you guys, I kind of hate it now, so in season I unblock everyone because it equals more engagement. Right, more engagment equals more scratch, trying to feed my kids, trying to get Sweet Caroline her cake pops, which brings me to the point of a sellout. Now. I don't know if you guys saw this, but somebody called me a sellout on Twitter for taking this job and called me bitch made I think was the term. And by the way, if you get blocked by someone, don't screenshot it and share it. It's not a good look. It doesn't work for you that way. You're bragging about yourself being an a hole, You're bragging about weird behavior.
Speaker 1: At least in most cases.
Speaker 2: Now, I block people when one of the following three things happens straight up being rude and insulting.
Speaker 1: No time for that. Be thick skinned. Yeah yeah, yeah, forget that.
Speaker 2: It's bad for your mental health to read that stuff on the regular, and if I welcomed it all in, it would be horrible.
Speaker 1: For my mental health.
Speaker 2: I had to look out for myself Number two, telling me what my job entails are, how to do it, or what you perceive me to be in terms of like the propaganda machine. Right, yes there is red tape. Yes, the podcast has changed, that's clear. I'm not going to crap on our guys on Twitter.
Speaker 1: You should neither. I'm not gonna crap on our guys outside of calling out bad football. You should neither.
Speaker 2: If you like tagging people's family and commenting under every post with something bad to say, hey, look inward. And that's the third, the constant negativity. I told a fan that he needs a new hobby because he wrote under one of my tweets that wasn't about Tua, that paying Tua was blah blah blah blah blah. Right, the same folks that said not signing Lyel Collins was the biggest mistake we'd ever make and also wanted you to take Nage Harris or Jaylen Phillips right, those folks, that's not just football, that's life. No time for that nonsense, whatsoever. Help I mute my own brother, Ryan, I hope you hear this. I mute my own brother sometimes during the season, being because after the opening drive touchdown for the other team, he gets way too negative, and I just I don't want any part of that. I get that sometimes negativity, when you vent it feels better for you. But when you cast that toxicity out there, you're getting your bad feelings.
Speaker 1: Onto everybody else. It sucks.
Speaker 2: I don't like it. I don't want to be a part of it. Have zero capacity for that in my life, especially from a stranger. My brother's one thing, but a stranger, because like, what's the point you're gonna let everyone know all spring and summer how upset you are the Dolphins are in this position that you think is bad, that they can't compete, they're not a Super Bowl contender. Just to be wrong in September, right, because we always are. It always changes the perceptions you have of the season, never go the way you think they will, And then you spent six months on Twitter getting mad for hypotheticals for what who's that for?
Speaker 1: To venture toxicity?
Speaker 2: Man, So Homie got blocked for being a negative B word quite frankly, then thought he'd do the screenshot thing and he got cooked by the trap fans. Baby, it was kind of cool to me to watch because people who actually know me and my character they came to my defense. I appreciate you guys for that. So most of the time I don't see those and I block him out, but this one I saw, and then I went and played with my daughter, because like, that's real life, right. The realization is that most of the time these people are probably children. I get that, but sometimes it's not. Like there's a guy Travis turb I'll call you out right now.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 2: He went on this big thing about how he can't listen to my podcast anymore because we lost three games in a row and I wasn't negative enough for him. Man, I was pretty hard on the team of those shows. I don't think you listened to those podcasts. But I also just have perspective because I'm in the building. I know that's not how the NFL works. No one is emotional like that, Okay, I'm also thirty six, so I know that life it has ups and downs, and I can handle them.
Speaker 1: It's my first rodeo.
Speaker 2: I'm smart enough to also know that a couple of games is not some grand indicator of the next ten years of Dolphins football. Like you gotta have perspective. We learned these lessons every year, and we refuse to learn from them.
Speaker 1: I don't get it.
Speaker 2: So Travis turb told me he can't listen to the podcast anymore. Still falls on Twitter funny, and I bet he comments on this. Just watch they always do. And then you go back and you look at Travis turbs tweets, and he was begging me to retweet his collection of Dolphin's gear like a child would do. So it's either children or grown men behaving like children, Like when the dude who stole the touchdown ball from Tyreek's mom came at me, like, bro, you steal baseballs from kids at the ballpark?
Speaker 1: Like sit down.
Speaker 2: And the final thing, when people say they go to their truth purveyors, just remember those truth purveyors, Ask me, what's the three technique, Travis. They don't know the basic one oh one fundamentals of the game and about doing the stuff for twenty years. So if you want to learn nothing and get opinions from that, have that all right, Spicy Travis out, Let's go ahead and call it a podcast. Come back on Wednesday, do the show over talking you about some more offseas and outlooks for the Miami Dolphins.
Speaker 1: All of that coming your way.
Speaker 2: In the meantime, you all please be sure to subscribe, rate, review all that fun stuff. Follow me on social at Lincoln NFL a team at Mimmy Dolphins so we have a fish Tank podcast with sets and jews. Check out the YouTube channel for Mediamailabilities Dolphins Today and so much more.
Speaker 1: At last, but not least, Miami Dolphins dot com. Until next time, fins Up, Come on a Cameron Daddy,