Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers podcast, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market, harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm Tim Stanebeck along with Carol Masser. Let's take a look at some stocks on the move today. We are joined now by Bloomberg News cross Asset reporter Emily GRIFFEO, Emily, you got a lot to chew. You had a lot to choose from in today's session. What caught your eye?
Speaker 3: I did, and I picked like the most talked about stock on Wall Street, But it moved up a lot today. I'm talking about shares of Nvidia, the chip company. It was up as much as six point seven percent after CEO Jensen Wong announced the company will send semiconductors to Saudio Arabian AI company Humane for a data center build out. So data centers. That's a really big area for any companies focused on AI because you need data centers to power AI processes. And this is all part of a Trump administration initiative that lifts previous restrictions on shipping advanced AI capabilities to the region.
Speaker 4: Just gonna say, right, Jensen, there he announcing it right at the Saudi US Investment Forum in riod so down on the ground with the president and some other you know, top business leaders. But this is that was a pretty big announcement.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was. And the Trump administration is, at least according to Bloomberg's reporting, they plan to overhaul regulations on the export of semiconductors used in AI. This is a big win for companies like in video, because they're tossing out a Biden error approach that had a lot of objections from US allies and companies, including in video.
Speaker 4: All right, can we talk about.
Speaker 1: You own coinbase, you owned.
Speaker 4: Crypto, you own crypto, you own you know.
Speaker 1: I will say, well, Emily, you go ahead and you know all annoy Carrol Mas.
Speaker 4: This is definitely one of the mega winners in today's session. It is mega gainers.
Speaker 3: I guess Coinbase.
Speaker 4: If you were shorting it, you didn't feel like you're a winner.
Speaker 3: No, But if you were long it, or if you're trying to get in on the trade before it's actually added into the S and P five hundred, you made some money today. The stock was up finished the day up twenty four percent. It was announced after the close yesterday that this company's being added to the S and P five hundred index, the world's arguably most famous index. This is the first crypto company to be added to the SMP so it's a big milestone all of the Coinbase execs. Brian Armstrong, he kind of tweeted like a victory lap, so go look at his tweets on Twitter or x. But yeah, this is a lot of what we're seeing now is what traders call the index effect. So they anticipate that passive funds that have to track the S and P five hundred closely will actually have to buy the stock on the date gets added to the index. That's not for another week, so a lot of hedge funds arbitragers will try and buy the stock before that, anticipating that there'll be a lot of buying in a week.
Speaker 4: I mean, prior to this, the stock was down a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, it's been like it's been kind of a wild ride for crypto this year because like these companies were supposed to do really well after Trump won the election. They obviously now are with this stock up a lot and being added to the S and P five hundred, But it was not a straight line up.
Speaker 1: It hasn't been like an I'm just looking at the forever chart. Yeah, going back to twenty twenty one, a hard chart maybe even goes back to all the way to yeah, even yeah, the early twenty twenty one. Yeah, it's still twenty eight percent off of the all time highs that it reached back in November of twenty twenty one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it depends how you look at it, because over the last two years it's up something like two hundred and seventy percent depending on when you got in. It's just one of the.
Speaker 4: Plice at different points, right and get a different picture. Let's talk about super micro because that also serves in today's session.
Speaker 3: Yes, so that stock was up at least over eight percent at one point on the day. I'm just getting that to load. Yeah, I'd actually finished the day up sixteen percent. They had an outperform rating at Raymond James, so they initiated coverage at Raymond Jane. The broker said super microcomputer has emerged as a market leader in AI optimized infrastructure. I mean, that's kind of all you really need to hear. All in, they set a price target of forty one dollars, which now with today's rise, it's pretty close to that. So maybe Raymond James is going to have to come back and up that price target because now the stock is at like almost thirty nine dollars.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers podcast from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.