Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Before we get into domestic policy and foreign policy, I want to ask you about this speech that the President's going to deliver tonight. Reportedly it's going to center on twenty twenty at election interference. One of your many jobs was in the White House as chief of staff. You had to think through putting together speeches like this one. And I wonder how you're thinking about this speech that the President's going to give tonight against centric on what happened now six years ago.
Speaker 3: Well, my view is I'd like to give him an extra thirty minutes because anything that's retrospective that's not prospective for the America where they are today, where their children are could be tomorrow, is going to get basically put on mute. And in fact, I think so I think the president's making a massive strategic mistake.
Speaker 1: It will come.
Speaker 3: Across interpret it as self serving for him. And I'm saying exactly what Republican strategists are saying to him, but the White House doesn't want to because this is mental health for the president. That's exactly what's going on. So my view, don't limit yourself to fifteen minutes. Much time as you want, mister President, spend a lot of time on twenty twenty, not twenty thirty.
Speaker 2: We're going to talk about the political terrain midterms, general election after that, but before we get there, I'm curious of how worried you are about this issue of election integrity, seeing what the president has been doing, what his advisors have been saying publicly, how worried are you about.
Speaker 3: The integraty the time of the right left one is I'm very focused on I think for Democrats winning, what does it take to win? There is a part less on the periphery, but on the other side that you know, Let's assume the Democrats win seven seats net get a majority every election, David, you have three or four seats that are two hundred and three hundred less than one percent. Some states have automatic recounts, others don't. The speakers showed that when it came to the Arizona race he wouldn't seat the member, and I worry a little. And it's growing that you're the January sixth that we on the steps of the capital will be driven inside the Capitol because this constitution is very clear the speaker has the right to call it organizes the House, so you got a seat. Members do have a new election, and I think they're going to basically until those elections are decided to say no, and they're gonna say there's no majority, there's no clarity, and they're going to postpone.
Speaker 1: Actually beginning anew.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about a pair of speeches you've given recently, centering on foreign policy.
Speaker 1: You went to Israel and spoke in Tel Aviv.
Speaker 2: This has been characterized, I think kind of clumsily as a critique of the Prime Minister of Benjamin Thattaho. But it was a larger speech than that. It was not just criticism. You laid out a plan for peace.
Speaker 1: Or at least you heard that.
Speaker 3: Unigating the show'st yes, I think the Prime Minister led Israel into basically a dead end. Here's what I would do to get out of that status, because I have concern for the Alliance and more than that, Japan and Ally very popular in the United States, NATO, very popular in America. We have a critical ally who is dropping precipitously in America, dropping precipitously in Europe, Canada, Australia have to have a breakout moment that actually establishes support for the country, not just a particular prime minister or government.
Speaker 2: What did you make of the reaction to the response to it? Again, it has been kind of distilled into something that it wasn't entirely.
Speaker 1: What do you think of that?
Speaker 2: What does it say about the way that we talk about US Israel people.
Speaker 3: At work on like without characterizing them sense? You know, President Clinton and I talked, you know, Hillary Clinton put out a comment. I know I've talked to Hakim Jeffries so one. I viewed the pariah status, the isolation of Israel strategically, diplomatically, militarily, economically, as a real threat to Israel. Big article today about the economists what this is in danger? So I laid out a strategy.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: The Saudi Arabia, which is kind of the Crown Jewel, was a sponsor of the twenty thirteen proposal by the Arab League for a twenty three state solution. Basically, all twenty one nations would recognize Israel if you came to some settlement agreement between sovereignty and security the Holy Grail. But Saudi Arabia now post October seventh, won't go singularly, but in a there's a comfort in numbers with all twenty one gay one. But you don't get to sit on the sideline, Arab League. You have to stand up a Palestinian authority.
Speaker 1: Because they're three strikes out.
Speaker 3: They got three times offered sovereignty, three times said no and returned violence. So you've made a cynical Israeli partner. That's not how you build trust. So I'm gonna give you a chance to get out of jail card a fourth chance. But everybody in the Arab League's got to stand up that partner. You've got to recognize it not only the state of Israel, but it's historic right. You got to stop rewarding terrorists for killing Israelis because they're Israelis, and stop teaching your children to hate Israelis now Israel.
Speaker 1: It's got to stop undermining And a classic example of this government.
Speaker 3: This government undermined the Palestinian authority, but they allowed Katar to send six billion dollars to Hamas. Hamas was not using that six billion dollars to build McDonald's franchise in Gaza. They were building tunnels, and.
Speaker 1: You knew it. That was a strategic failure of this government. The second.
Speaker 3: As you can see, I recommended the IMEC India, Mideast Europe economic cord or cables ports energy.
Speaker 1: You got to get around the strait of hermus.
Speaker 3: It puts Israel's technological prowess at the center of the most important trade route, so both economically and strategically, making Israel, as David Bengorion, the founding father said, a nation among nations. Second important is in the critique. Every country has four tools in its security toolbox military power, political persuasion, economic stakecraft, cultural attraction. The Prime Minister has after fied three of them to the point their non existence, and relied on only one.
Speaker 1: That is not.
Speaker 3: Acceptable if you're trying to be uh and have actually security. Example of that, and I'll pay the calling cards. You can use my AT and T calling card.
Speaker 1: You have.
Speaker 3: Assyrian government today they said Iran is our common enemy. Syria is the highway sixty six for Iran to has Bella. You can cut it off. And he wants to count, he said, the president of Syria, I want to come to a security agreement with Israel. The United States is now building or facilitating a building of Iraqi oil through cyrial Yeah.
Speaker 1: Call the Syrian president.
Speaker 3: It's not even a piece of agreement security agreement. The people in the northern galley of Israel would get security, and you would actually knock out the security. The trade route from Tehran two Beirut suburbs.
Speaker 1: That fund has beloup. That's it. Use your diplomatic tools.
Speaker 3: The Prime Minister likes to say he was raised with English, learned the letter D. It starts first letter in the word diplomacy. Try it.
Speaker 1: It works.
Speaker 2: You have a long professional, familial history with Israel. Your sense of the kind of reception that your speech got there as they look at their elections coming up here, is there an appetite for what you kind of proposed in that speech.
Speaker 3: Well, I do think so. I mean, look just as you can. There is a big interview on Channel twelve with Unique Levy. The Nacham Barnet, who is the premier columnist in Israel at Idiot wrote dedicated three full pages and the cover on a Sunday story which was Israel, are you listening?
Speaker 1: Ram has a message. We need to hear him.
Speaker 3: So now again, I didn't bust out of the country. I didn't make it up to Kira A Shimoni in the north of Brusheva in the south. But I was in the kind of Tel Aviv Jerusalem corridor.
Speaker 1: But everybody knows.
Speaker 3: An example of this, one hundred Israeli generals did an open letter that what's happening on the West Bank, they called it.
Speaker 1: I did not use this term.
Speaker 3: Those one hundred generals plus Hinnvett leaders called it Jewish terrorism.
Speaker 1: And said it's undermining Israels security.
Speaker 3: Nothing I said of the criticism has not been said by leaders of Israel's own security shin Bet.
Speaker 1: As well as IDF.
Speaker 3: Nothing and I never referred to it as terrorism. Their own generals and shim Bett members in an open letter to society.
Speaker 1: This is what the Prime minister is doing.
Speaker 3: And I have a long history going back to nine when he publicly I didn't need a war to know what Israel was doing. I publicly I told him what you are doing on housing in the West Bank will.
Speaker 1: Isolate Israel and lead to perpetual conflict.
Speaker 3: If there was If there was a conclusion I wanted to be wrong on, that was it. He then publicly accused me of self loathing j Now I believe opposing the settlements and encouraging the President Obama, which he did to fund the Iron Dome, are not contradictory but actually complimentary to Israel's security.
Speaker 1: They go their heads and tails are the same coin. I want to move to domestic policy now.
Speaker 2: If they couldn't look ahead to the next election. You've said you're thinking about running. You haven't made a decision yet. What are the factors that you're weighing. You've characterized this as a Baskin Robbins primary in the Democratic Party will be thirty one flavors, and I'm curious if you're lining up to be one of them.
Speaker 3: As I said, well, in twenty twenty four, the Democrats unfortunately didn't have a primary, didn't have a choice. I think that was bad for the party and I think it's bad but also for the electoral out come. And the truth is we didn't really have one in twenty twenty. I do believe in twenty twenty eight, I said it's going to be like Baskin and Robins and thirty one flavors, And if I decide to do it, I plan on being Rocky Road.
Speaker 2: I look at the travel that you've done, Yes to Israel, Yes to Europe. To give a speech on NATO. But you've been to Mississippi, you've been to New Hampshire. Yeah, talk about what we can draw from the places you've visited. Sort of what you're looking at here again, perhaps in the interest of you running in the next election.
Speaker 3: One is, America faces a series of challenges, but everything that ails America can be answered by what's working in America.
Speaker 1: So look in word do you say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, I don't by a good way of example, I don't believe like I went to Mississippi where they're moved from forty ninth to ninth thund reading. If you actually have tests for other things, they're number one in America. I don't need to go by way of example and look at Manchester, England.
Speaker 1: It's right here in Mississippi. I don't need to go overseas. It's working here. How do we scale it?
Speaker 3: I'm going to assume in New Hampshire they have their own examples. In Lacrosse, Wisconsin, I don't need to go to Luxembourg. Lacrosse, Wisconsin's community college system, in their high school system, in their industry is an example of what's working in the integration of economic growth and educational opportunity. I will soon after Labor Day make a trip to Louisiana. They're the only states whose math and reading scores are now.
Speaker 1: Pre COVID numbers.
Speaker 3: They have figured out the combination to the lot. Now I partially care about education. I cannot believe the country has become complacent where fifty percent of our kids can't read at grade level. There is no getting from here to there for that student. If they cannot read, cannot do math, cannot not only graduate high school, but go into the armed forces, vocational ed community colleges, or go on to a four year institution. So my view is I'm going to go down to Louisiana learn what they have done. I've got started to read this report from both Stamford and Harvard and from a tu Lane professor I talked to yesterday, and I want to highlight what Louisiana has done as every other forty nine states are struggling.
Speaker 1: Our math and Reeney scores are anemic.
Speaker 3: And I don't think we as a country can give up on a single child in this country. Now, if you figured out the combination to the Locke, I want to take Louisiana to all forty nine states, and that's how we're going to reboot the Department of Education to actually do something for the future. There is no getting from here to there, ever, when only a third of your citizens are reading and doing math.
Speaker 1: At grade level.
Speaker 3: If you look at the four great moments of American economic growth, landgrand colleges, universal high school education, GI Bill, science and technology split in a challenge, the one through line in constant is when you invest in Americans, America wins.
Speaker 1: That's what I believe in.
Speaker 2: It's a question about your party, that the Democratic Party, going back to these thirty one flavors. Do you see this at all problematic that there is such I guess debate or discord within the party right now when it comes to the issue of you US as real policy, when it comes to all of these issues, is it productive, as you see it, to have conversations about I'm a policy book.
Speaker 3: I grew up in a family where dinner table conversations representing the gladiators. So I actually I'm four. I think one of the things this is my analysis of the party. We come out of it, and I'm as guilty as anybody else. In two thousand and eight, President Obama wins, and we were running around going demographics as Destiny look at his coalition.
Speaker 1: The future is ours now.
Speaker 3: We became, in my view, as a party intellectually flabby, and we're paying a price for that, both on the political grounds and the policy grounds, and ultimately not just us, but the country because we're not kind.
Speaker 1: Of sharp and rigorous.
Speaker 3: So I happen to think a debate is way way overdue. I happen to want I think we should engage in a policy debate. Look, somebody else has another education idea that doesn't agree with mine, great game on, let's go.
Speaker 1: You agree. I said, you serve two years national service, We'll give you the money for a down payment. You have another idea on how to solve that. Bring it forward.
Speaker 3: I believe, as I stated, a ten percent tax on the prediction markets, an online sport gaming goes into an innovation fund for the National Institute of Health, National Science Foundation, and the dark but double research dollars. You have another way to advance research and development.
Speaker 1: Bring it forward. Let's have this debate.
Speaker 3: Will be a better party to better serve America's future. My view is that the party has spent too much time just focusing on fighting Trump. I want to prove to the country, the majority of America we know how to fight for America, not just fight against Donald Trump.