Speaker 1: Crime Stories with Nancy Grace.
Speaker 2: Friends Star, TV and movie Icon, Matthew Perry's sisters blast Perry's assistant, who, they say, quote repeatedly injected him with ketamine, leaving him in a hot tub to die. I'm Nancy Grace, this is Crime Stories. I want to thank you for being with us. That's right. Matthew Perry's sisters call out Perry's assistant Kenny Iwamasa for quote, repeatedly injecting him with ketamine that turned deadly on the day the Friends star died in his own hot tub. According to Madeline Morrison, Perry's sister, quote he injected my brother with a lethal dose of ketamine and left him in a hot tub to die. She goes on, it's difficult to put into words a sense of betrayal I felt when I found out what Kenney had done. These are, according to court filings, what happened to Matthew Perry.
Speaker 1: Let me start with the nine to one one call. Listen twenty three twenty three.
Speaker 3: A twenty three and radio in part of the drowning across the few drives. That's a twenty twenty three ms N.
Speaker 1: You can't tell a lot, but I learned something significant. Let's hear that one more time.
Speaker 3: Said twenty three ms N twenty three and radio in one of the drowning across the few drives. That's a twenty three twenty three MS.
Speaker 1: Now, some of those numbers are universal. Sometimes you hear numbers across a police ban or on an ema that are specific to that region. But what I'm hearing that really jumps out at me is response to the drowning. So at the beginning, it was believed that the friends start died of drowning because that's what was reported to them. But what do we really know? Take a listen to our friends at crime online.
Speaker 4: The Los Angeles Medical Examiner determined that fifty four year old Matthew Perry died from the acute effects of ketamine. Other contributing factors listed were drowning, coronary artery disease, and the effects of buprenorphine. Buprenorphine is used to treat opioid use disorder. The manner of death has been ruled an accident.
Speaker 1: Okay, see, I'm a trial lawyer, and that is why the medical examiners and everybody at the crime lab would go hide under their desk when they saw my beat up Honda pulling up because they knew as going to go through it line by line literally to make sense of what they wrote down in their scientific findings. What acute effects of ketamine. Other contributing factors were drowning, coronary artery disease, be prefer blue blo used to treat opioid disorder, manner of death, accident. There's so much there. I could do a whole flow chart on that to try to explain all that to a jury. Luckily we have experts with us. But first I'm going to go to a special guest joining us, Miguel Melndez joining us, senior writer for E t Entertainment tonight. Miguel, what a pleasure to have you on. Man. This sent shock waves through not only Hollywood, but across our country. Because I'm gonna follow this up with our shrink, Karen Stark. We think we know Matthew Perry. Why because we've seen him on the big screen, we've seen him on the little screen. We follow him in the tabloids. We think we know him and about his life. We've been following his struggle with addiction, and a lot of people can identify with that. If you haven't had that struggle in somebody, you know, somebody close to you has had that struggle. So Matthew Perry was kind of like every man that was struggling with a lot. But to you, Miguel Melendez, I want to go before I get into Matthew Perry himself and how it ended up this way, I want to talk to you about what happened, what surrounded the discovery of Matthew Perry dead in a hot tub leading up to that. Tell me about the discovery and what came out at the time that he was first discovered dead in the hot tub.
Speaker 5: Right, So what we know the timeline is that at eleven AM, Matthew have played pickleball. At one thirty seven PM is when Matthew was last known to be alive by his personal living assistant to live with him in the Pacific Policy home. He was ought to run aaron. At one thirty seven pm, the living assistant returned home and found Matthew floating face down in the jacuzzi. The assistant jumped into the pool, moved Matthew into the sitting position on the steps of the pool, and found him by the way on the heated side of the pool, called nine one one. Paramedics arrived and they moved and they pulled Matthew out of the pos.
Speaker 1: Okay, hold on, Miguel, You're giving me so much information so quickly. I'm drinking from the fire hydrate because Miguel, you know, I like to dissect every single sentence, and I loved everything you just said as far as factually what I'm learning. Could you say it again and very slowly? Okay? Did you say the living assistant found him?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay. Why did Matthew Perry have a live and assistant?
Speaker 5: That I can answer you, Nancy. I don't know the exact circumstances of what led to that. I do know that the living assistant, based on this report, is that he administered the the the detox drugs on Matthew twice a day.
Speaker 1: That's important. Miguel Melendez, Hold on, Miguel, hold the thought. Guys with me. He's a senior writer for entertainment tonight. You all know him. Miguel Melndez giving us everything we need to know to analyze this drug ketamine that claimed the life of Matthew Perry. Karen el start joining me. Renowned TV radio trauma expert at Karenstark dot com. Karen with the c if you're trying to find her, Karen, So, is it like a minder you have with AA that. I don't think they call it a minder. They call it something else, someone that checks in on you. It's like your partner, your buddy, that kind of that's who you call when you have a problem or you're going to relapse. Is that what you think is happening here? He had somebody to help him.
Speaker 7: It's called a sponsor. And his assistant she was his sponsor. She was his minder, as you said, Nancy, So she was there. She could not stop him from taking something, but certainly was trying. That was her role to make sure that he was on the straight and narrow and sticking to his determination to stop. And he was very open about it. But he really did want to stop taking drugs recreationally.
Speaker 1: He really did, and he made no secret about it. What led up to that moment Miguel Melndez is describing. But first again, Miguel, could you tell me the assistant comes in? You said he was near the heater end of the hot tub.
Speaker 5: Correct, So at four PM. The living assistant walks in from a running errands finds Matthew Perry floating space down into jacuzzi in the heated end.
Speaker 6: Of the pool.
Speaker 5: The assistant jumped into the pool, moved Matthew into the sitting position on the steps of the pool, and called nine to one one. Paramedics Soon ve pulled Matthew out of the pool onto the grass, where he was pronounced that at the scene, you know, I think.
Speaker 1: I had at bass akwors migam Melendez. I was saying hot tub because I've read jacuzzie. But was the jacuzi or the hot tub part of the pool? Was he in a pool or was he in a hot tub or jacuzi?
Speaker 5: It looked like it was a long pool that has a jacuzi in it. If they're not two separate.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes perfect sense. Okay, guys, what led up to this moment? Take a listen to our friend Nicole Parton.
Speaker 4: Matthew Perry went to his country club to play a game of pickleball with friends around eleven am. Perry returned to his home after the game and was seen by his assistant, who was leaving the house to run Errand's at one thirty seven PM. At four o'clock PM, the assistant returned to the home. Investigator Jennifer Hertzog says the assistant found Perry floating face down in the heated end of the pool. The assistant jumped into the pool and moved him into a sitting position on the steps and called nine to one one. Paramedics responded, pulled Perry out of the pool and onto the grass, and pronounced him dead on the scene at four seventeen PM. His stepfather, Keith Morrison is listed as the informant, which means the dateline host is who identified Perry to authorities.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, that must have been so horrible on the stepfather to have to do that after the struggle he Matthew Perry went through so publicly against substance abuse. Mike McCormick joining me out of LA owner lead investigator MCM Investigations, Mike McCormick, thank you for being with us. I'm very curious Matthew Perry had been so open and public about his battle with addiction. Who I mean, even I know about that two thousand miles away, who would be supplying him dru ketamine and all the other things in his system.
Speaker 6: It was either prescribed to him that Kennedy was prescribed, or he's getting it off the street. There's only several ways of doing it. My understanding is that the frum he's a assistant or past girlfriend miss edwards that she's been involved with him off and on from about two thousand and six, and she used to purchase his drugs off the street for him. So the ketnamine and other drugs he may have been taking could come from e their source.
Speaker 2: Crime stores with Nancy Gray, Friends of superstar Matthew Perry is dead and seemingly everyone involved in his death is getting slaps on the wrist. The so called assistant, Ewa Masa allegedly lied to Perry's alums. The so called personal assistant, Ewa Massa allegedly lied to Matthew Perry's relatives about what happened the day Perry died in his Pacific Palisades home. Perry's sister Madeline says, quote, everything I believed about the day Matthew died, everything Ewa Masa told us was a lie. She went on the idea some one my brother considered family could betray him in such an unimaginable way. Is something I could never have conceived. Why is she so angry with facts like these? What sister wouldn't be?
Speaker 8: This is Wendy Patrick. It looks like the assistant that it was living with Matthew Perry at the time his death is a man named Kenny Alamsa right, not the prior. Not a prior girlfriend or a female assistant.
Speaker 1: You're right, Wendy Patrick. Guys, you're hearing californ a prosecutor and author of Why Bad Looks Good Wendy Patrick at wendypatrickphd dot com, The Star of Today with Dr Wendy on KCBQ. I was just coming to you, Wendy, on another point, a legal point, and that is I saw the trial go down. I don't know if you remember Archie Bunker of all in the Family YEA, when his son died of an overdose, he went after the supplier in the Fulton County courthouse. And I was just wondering, Wendy about people knowing about his public struggle against addiction. I mean, he wrote about it, he talked about it, very open about it. Who would supply someone battling addiction with drugs.
Speaker 8: It's a great question when you have when you're talking about somebody that's supposed to be a confidant, a sponsor, a helper, a minder. We have all these terminology, these terms that we It's very different than a Michael Jackson situation where you actually have somebody medically administering a drug.
Speaker 1: Who would do it?
Speaker 8: I would have to say, Nancy, as you and I and our listeners know the same people that are selling drugs to begin with, maybe somebody that doesn't know him well enough, or because it was prescribed lawfully for a medicinal purpose, somebody that honestly, although mistakenly thought that he needed it or could handle it in different doses. You know, Ketamine, if it's being as supervised, is used certainly, not very not as often as many other drugs. But you have to believe whether or not somebody thought they might be doing him a favor, if he was depressed, if he was dled.
Speaker 1: They could not have been more wrong. And if it comes out that we can find a supplier or someone who ate it or a bet at him, I want you to just think about this, Wendy Patrick, about criminal charges joining me right now? Is the expert in this field as far as I'm concerned, and the pre eminent expert doctor William Maroney, medical examiner, toxicologist, pathologist, opioid treatment expert, author of American Narcan, which is on Amazon. Doctor Moroney, take a listen to what we've learned about the autopsy.
Speaker 4: Matthew Perry's autopsy report doesn't say how or when Perry used ketamine prior to his death, but the coroner ruled out the ketamine treatments he had a week and a half before his death because ketamine has a half life of three to four hours or less. The report notes at the high levels of ketamine found in his post mortem blood specimens, the main lethal effects would be from both cardiovascular overstimulation and respiratory depression. Drowning contributes due to the likelihood of submersion into the pool as he lapsed into unconsciousness.
Speaker 1: And that's not all, doctor Moroney. Wait for it. I would never have in ma imagine this goes into the cocktail.
Speaker 4: The autopsy report noted Matthew Perry's history of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease inmphysema and diabetes. The report mentions Perry's past drug use, but notes Perry had reportedly been cleaned for nineteen months. The New York Post reports that in the autopsy report, a comment is made about Perry undergoing ketamine infusion therapy, most recently one and a half weeks before his death. The report states ketamine treatments are for anxiety and depression, but ketamine in the system couldn't be from the infusion therapy. Doctor Bankole Johnson, one of the leading neuroscientists and physicians in the field, tells The New York Post that ketamine in Perry's system is more likely from recreational use.
Speaker 1: Male hormone testosterone injections. And there's one more ingredient. Why was Matthew Perry getting injections of the male hormone testosterone listen.
Speaker 9: According to Matthew Perry, he had been cleaned for nineteen months, but The Daily Mail reports the actor died from an overdose of the party drug ketamine. According to the autopsy report, a detective who attended the scene of Perry's death said, quote, during my investigation, no alcohol, elicit drugs or drug paraphernalia were found unquote. The Daily Mail also claims the fifty four year old was getting injections of the male hormone testosterone, and an unnamed female associate claimed the injections were causing him to be angry and mean for the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: From my point of view, doctor Moroney, as a lay person and not a doctor an MD like you, if something calls causes you to be angry and mean, it makes me wonder if it also didn't jack up his heart rate, this male testosterone injection. I mean, I don't know what to make of it, doctor Moroney, Because you've got ketamine, you've got testosterone, you've got the op or a treatment drug. There's so much going on there.
Speaker 10: What you have is a cocktail of disaster because you probably are dealing with multiple doctors that are not communicating, nobody's coordinating his care.
Speaker 11: And if he's getting ketamine, as it's said in the autopsy, there's ketamine contents in the stomach that would be ketamine pills. That's a rogue doctor, somebody outside of good practice guidelines giving pills they have no business giving. In addition to ketamine treatments.
Speaker 1: I mean, is a ketamine used by vets so animals don't have pain during operations.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it helps with anesthesia for your cats and dogs. But at low doses, it's been shown to be beneficial in a massively unstable major depressive disorder. But guess what that acceptable therapy is nasal? It's a nasal spray with your psychiatrist.
Speaker 1: Right. What you're saying ketamine, which many people believe is just used by veterinarians. Now people are using it, and you're saying that the only approved way for it to be used by people is by a nasal spray.
Speaker 12: The acceptable SDA approved supervised ketamine treatment is to go see your psychiatrist, have an appointment, get a nasal spray, and stay until you're stable, and have a counseling session. What you have here is somebody keeps saying, well, he's in treatment, he's in recovery, he's not getting enough psychosocial therapy because he's impaired, he's impulsive, he's processing poor decisions because he doesn't have that park link to all this medicine.
Speaker 1: What is ketamine?
Speaker 11: Ketamine is a class of medicine that works on transmitters called glutamate.
Speaker 1: Oh, dear Lord in Heaven, speak English man, What speak English? I mean? Is this something I've got to worry about they're going to have in the halls of my twins high school. I mean, I hear about ecstasy, coke, marijuana, blah blah blah blah. But ketamine.
Speaker 11: Ketamine's been abused for twenty years in drug culture and drug use.
Speaker 1: But is it traded freely on the street.
Speaker 11: It is on the street. You can buy it if you can ask for from your dealer, they'll get you some. But it's FDA approved as a nasal spray, and he's not getting the FDA approved version.
Speaker 1: Okay, I heard somebody jumping in. Is it wind your Karen Stark?
Speaker 7: Karen. It's used as a club drug. It started years ago, Nancy, but it's continuing. People do use it recreationally, but it's off. There are a lot of trials going on where they are psychedelics to stop addiction, just the opposite of what we have here and for depression, and that has to be a trial because it's not FDA approved.
Speaker 11: These are rogue doctors in rogue clinics. The only doctor that's probably legitimate here is the one giving them bupin orphine. That's the hardest word to say. But in order to do that, you have to have training. The rest of these people doing ketamine rogue.
Speaker 13: They're outside the law, they're outside good practice. We saw this with Anna, Nicole Smith, Michael Jackson, Prince, all these rogue doctors treating all these celebrities and you don't know who's around them.
Speaker 2: The so called personal assistant Iwell Massa allegedly lie to Matthew Perry's family about what happened to day the Friends star died. Sister Madelin says, quote, the personal respect hosible for my brother's death stood up and addressed the people who loved him most. That is like a cruel joke. I still struggle with. He didn't just take my brother's life. He tainted our final memories of saying goodbye. Perry's sister Caitlin states she would quote never know if the lethal dose of ketamine was only lethal by accident. What happened the night beloved star Matthew Perry died in his own hot tub.
Speaker 1: Ketamine has been around and being abused for a long time. We just don't know that much about it, and we don't see it as much. We don't it's not soaked into our national understanding as well. But as far as I can remember that it's been called baby food, bump, cat killer, cat valium, fort, dodge, green, green, kay, kayland, kale. There's a a million slulling words for ketamine. And the first time I ever saw that was when I was prosecuting and somebody had it as an aside drug. They were dealing heroin, and they also had vitamin K. And you're gonna laugh at this, Mike McCormick, I said, so, what's wrong with vitamin K? Because I didn't know what that vitamin K was? Ketamine? And that was oh gosh. I was prosecuting a dope lord and he had a stash of vitamin K. That's the first time I heard about kendamine.
Speaker 5: And Matthew Parry was not the first celebrity to be open about the Kedemy therapy session. I mean, the week before he died on December one, Christy Keagan was very open about the fact that she underwent Academy therapy session to celebrate her birthday, and she said on Instagram how she saw space and time and her late so late son Jack is someone she saw during the this therapy session. So Kedemy has kind of like sort of has come into the conscious as of late and now more because of Matthew Perry's death, that you're seeing the horrible side effect that it can have.
Speaker 1: So, Miguel Lundez from AT Joining Us, you're saying that it's common use among celebrities to what fight depression, to.
Speaker 5: Fight depression, to figure themselves, to use them to use it as a form of therapy. Christy Keegan is far from the only celebrity who has been open about taking or undergoing academy therapy sessions. You have the lights of Sharon Osborne and Pete Davidson who have been open about this. But again, academy therapy session is not dangerous if it's done under supervision, as our doctor seen doctors chaff said, when you go rogue, and in this case, it seems to indicate that that's what Matthew Perry did. You're going to see the fatal consequences, consequences, and that's just that's exactly what happened.
Speaker 6: Here.
Speaker 1: You're hearing Miguel Melendez, senior writer AT and I've got to get everything he said, which is all correct, by the way, explain to me medically, Doctor William Maroney renowned expert in this field. So when you have ketamine treatment with a doctor, you're saying ketamine is ingested nasally like through dristand the spray into your nose, and if it's used any other way than it's rogue. Do I have that right, Maroni?
Speaker 11: The reason why it's rogue is the FDA approved spray comes with specific conditions, that you're observed, that they follow instructions, and that your safety comes first, and you really can't even drive to and from your session. You're supposed to have somebody take care of you. As soon as you let somebody take ketamine pills, well, it's unobserved, it's uncontrolled, and it's clear there was ketamine in his stomach and his level in his blood was exactly halfway between low anesthesia and high anesthesia. You don't have those levels when you're supervised. And the whole idea that ketamine therapy is matched to a psycho social treatment of behavioral counseling session, that's where you make the changes. You have better insight, you have better processing and stress, and you're not impulsive. The last thing you want with impulsive behaviors with somebody in addiction is to put them on poposterone.
Speaker 6: That's insane.
Speaker 11: Well everybody knows. It makes you feel really good as a man. You're sixty years old, suddenly you feel thirty six. Okay, but it comes at the price of frustration and anger and really short tempers. Add that to the impulsivity substance use disorder, and you could have, you know, a dark rabbit hole, a hidden monster in the shadows, and somebody who's not going to listen to somebody when they say, oh, you know, it's taken a few too many ketamine pills. Ketamine spray is not something you do every day. It's once or twice a month with counseling session.
Speaker 1: And because he had the pills in his stomach still at the time of autopsy, we know it was rogue ketamine and not the type used for infusion treatment. And of course you've got the other factor weighing into Matthew Pierry's death, and that is with all these drugs in the system, he gets into the pool the hot tip and it's not the first time. Take a listen to our cut thirteen, how you doing.
Speaker 8: It's in security from Beverly Hilton Kio going on, I need a paramedic Franly, I got a point securial femail done in the bathroom.
Speaker 9: The fellow guy right now.
Speaker 5: But they're requesting paramedic crew.
Speaker 14: Okay, Para fell out there and love Riomcannel.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure she fell.
Speaker 5: She was in the bathroom with the water fourth fourth.
Speaker 1: Sixty four four three four.
Speaker 8: I'm sorry, the net the room four three four yeah, okay, and they're not eft or anything else.
Speaker 3: There's room four three four thirty four.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, you don't know see your country of breathing at all.
Speaker 8: Apparently she wasn't breathing and she's twenty six year old.
Speaker 14: She was not breathing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, but see you in breathing.
Speaker 4: I aw, I don't know.
Speaker 5: Okay, it's the first thing that called me was guy ray and okay, much out of it. Okay, you know, got right here to go in there now, Okay.
Speaker 8: We'll come.
Speaker 5: Please go fire over there with that person not breathing, there's kind of like the first one.
Speaker 8: Still not breathing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's correct.
Speaker 11: Okay, we'll get in there for not bringing really give me to the.
Speaker 9: Room plan you can I get too, pr Yeah, we're going there now, can you give me into the rooms.
Speaker 3: I can try to get kepr on trucks.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm sorry, uh no, because he kept.
Speaker 5: Hanging up on us, kept hanging up on you. Yeah, okay, right, we're good there unit with okay, okay, thank you away.
Speaker 1: And there was water in Whitney Houston's lungs, indicating she was alive when she was submerged under water. But according to what we learn, the level of cocaine in Whitney Houston's body was not but it was enough to make her unaware of the fact she was going under water, and in an eerie twist, the same thing happens to her daughter. To listen to our cut, sixteen.
Speaker 9: The only child of Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown, Bobby Christina Brown wanted to follow her mother's footsteps as a singer and actress. Tyler Perry cast Bobby Christina Brown in his television series For Better or Worse and had high praise for her work. In her personal life, she became engaged in Nick Gordon, a friend of the family who lived with them from the age of twelve. Never officially adopted by Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown, Bobby Christina Brown referred to him as her big Bra online. Their engagement shocked many. On January thirty first, twenty fifteen, Nick Gordon found Bobby Christina face down unconscious in a bathtub in her home in Alfaretta, Georgia.
Speaker 1: And then just recently, we lose another celebrity, Aaron Carter in our cut twenty one.
Speaker 9: As the younger brother of Nick Carter of the Bakstreet Boys, Aaron Carter had a connection to the Big time. He could sing, he could dance, and he had the look as with most teen idols when they're fifteen minutes is up. Aeron Carter struggled. His first stint in a treatment facility was announced by his manager when the singer was just twenty three. Then a year later, it was announced that he completed a twenty eight day rehab stint at the Betty Ford Center. On November fourth, twenty twenty two, Aaron Carter's housekeeper found his body in the bathtub at his home. The Los Angeles County Department of Medical Examiner Corner ruled cause of death was attributed to drowning after inhaling die floro ethane and taking the generic form of the brand name xanax. The report also indicated that Carter was incapacitated while in the bathtub due to the effects of the drugs he took, which contributed to his death by drowning. Aaron Carter was thirty four.
Speaker 1: You know, Winny Patrick, California prosecutor and author. So many people, not just celebrities, die in pools and hot tubs after too many drugs or too much alcohol.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's so unfortunate. You know, we only hear about some of these famous people because they're famous. Think about how many men and women, friends, neighbors, family members die in the same way. But maybe don't just grab headlines. It's one of the reasons we always want to reach out sooner rather than later for people that are struggling. And I like the way in that last flip they talked a little bit about what happens after the fame.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 8: One of the things that Matthew Perry said, he said, taking kay is like being hit in the head with a giant happy shovel. But the hangover outweighed the benefits. And that's part of what I think celebrities are getting better at explaining and that yes, perhaps they're self medicating, but it's not worth it in the end. And that's one of the messages that Matthew Perry wanted to leave.
Speaker 1: Us with Karen start joining us a renowned psychologist. Karen, we know that Matthew Perry told everyone he had been clean going on two years? Is that common for addicts to insist their claim.
Speaker 7: Is tremendous amount of denial nancy because they really are struggling in most cases to be clean. They don't want to be addicted, but they're very, very susceptible. And when you think about somebody who's famous like that, there are always people around who were willing to oblige them with drugs and tempt them with drugs because they want to make them happy, they want to be around the celebrity. It's something that happens all the time. So I am sure he was trying but obviously not exceeding, or that ketamine would not have been there.
Speaker 1: He had really been through a battle. I want you to take a listen to our cut four our friends from crime online. Something I didn't know until after Matthew Perry passed away after years of addiction.
Speaker 14: Matthew Perry spent five months in the hospital after his colon burst from prolonged opioid abuse. Perry says he was in surgery for seven hours, in a coma for two weeks, and doctors told his family he had a two percent chance of survival. After leaving the hospital, Perry used a colossomy bag for months.
Speaker 1: Crime Stories with Nancy Grace.
Speaker 2: Sister Caitlin joins Madeline Morrison, stating, I know when Kenny left the house he was doing one of two things, either escaping from something he knew he had done, or willfully abandoning a vulnerable person in a dangerous situation. How did Matthew Perry die?
Speaker 1: Doctor William Maroney joining us the pre eminent expert in this field, Doctor Moroney, I believe that if my colon had burst from along drug use, I would go through hell in high water not to get addicted again. But see that's me on the outside looking in because I'm not addicted. Addicts tell me that they can't stop themselves.
Speaker 11: What it is is, there is an insight issue that comes with substance use disorder, and the only way you can rewire the brain. It's like rewiring a vacuum cleaner, rewiring a radio, or you know, rewiring a power strip. You rewire the brain, not by feeding the body drugs just as a substitute, but in depth therapy, making selections, looking at the trauma in your life, choosing not to be impulsive, choosing to process your stress. You have to do that with another person, face to face. It's not always about the drugs. He may have been clean from heroin for two years, but his brain was not done processing that. Impulsivity and impulsivity, poor processing, and lack of insight. Those are the three things that substance use disorder people suffer with every single for alcohol, heroin. Okay, those are the three things. And the only way through that rewiring is with another person in a chair, face to face, and that's just not being done today. Everybody wants a pill, they want to quick fix, and these rogue doctors are not getting people the therapy they need. In the end, the same thing is going to happen. Somebody's going to be investigated by the medical board. There'll be another trial in a year, somebody's going to lose their license. And it's so sad that Matthew Perry had to die this way.
Speaker 1: Same thing with Michael Jackson, Conrad Murray. There was a trial, he gets convicted. In the end he walks free, and Michael Jackson still did same thing with Matthew Perry. A bright light has been extinguished because of ketamine. And I want to follow up with Miguel Melndez, Senior reporter, Entertainment Tonight. Miguel, I had no idea that Matthew Perry had been through so much in his battle, even having his colon burst from prolonged opioid abuse. But there's more, Miguel, let's nowur cut five.
Speaker 14: Two years after his near death experience, Matthew Perry goes to a rehab facility in Switzerland. He wrote that he faked pains and dumbs to get oxy conton during COVID. He was also getting daily ketamine infusions. While at the facility, Perry needed to have surgery and was given propofol. When he woke up eleven hours later, he found out his heart had stopped for five minutes and during the long CPR process, eight of his ribs were broken. The doctor then refused more mets.
Speaker 1: So this guy, Matthew Perry, I mean, we look at him, Miguel, and we think, Wow, he's famous. He's a star. He's got all this money in this beautiful home. This guy was in a living hell that nobody knew about. I mean, he had his colum burst from opioid use. Then he dies essentially during a surgery and all eight of his ribs are broken during CPR, and yet he went back to his own hellhole. He couldn't stop himself. Miguil, Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean it's tragic. All these near death experiences rooted from his need of these substances. And he wrote in his book that he thought that the only reason why he was revived and given CPR in such aggressive manner was because person performing the CPR said, I can't let the guy from Friends die on my table.
Speaker 6: That can't happen on my watch.
Speaker 5: So in retrospect, Perry asked himself, had I not been on Friends, would they have stopped giving me CPR after three minutes? And said they went five minutes, five of them. And you talk about these drugs in his system. And even when he was detoxing in the final episode of Friends in two thousand and four, when the episode ended and it all came to a close and everyone felt emotional, not just the cast and the crew, but everyone who was tuned in to that show. Perry himself said in his book that he felt nothing because the detox drug that was in his system at the time made him feel numb. So even in the happiest moments, or what should have been the happiest moments of his life, he felt nothing. And again, it all rooted because of the substance issue that he's had for so long.
Speaker 1: Miguel, you are bringing up a whole other issue, not only the battle against addiction, but how it affects your life day to day. He couldn't even feel regular emotions. I mean, you know, this morning, when I was driving the twins to school, I was so happy just being with them. What a loss in your life not to be able to feel all those wonderful things. And guys, we're finding out now how his ketemine addiction began. Take your listen to Our cut six Our Friend. Investigative reporter Nicole.
Speaker 4: Parton Matthew Perry wrote about the ketamine infusions he received at the Swiss Clinic. He explained in his memoir that ketamine quote has my name written all over it. They might as well have called it Maddie. The New York Post reports that Perry described the drug as a giant exhale and said he would be blindfolded and listening to music when he got his injections. Perry also said he would disassociate during the infusions and often felt as if he were dying. Perry said he kept signing up for it because it was something different, and quote, anything different is good. Taking kay is like being hit in the head with a giant, happy shovel, but the hangover was rough and outweighed the shovel. Still in his memoir, Perry says ketamine was not for me.
Speaker 1: You know, doctor Maroney, Ketamine is my new nightmare, my new nightmare because I've never knowne of it actually killing anyone until now.
Speaker 11: Well, I think the ketamine awareness has went from zero to a hundred on our national barometer. But the whole idea is effective, evidence based FDA proved ketamine treatment comes with counseling, and where we have rogue doctors and really dark rabbit holes is people are going to look for this stuff and not match it to the counseling. The lack of feeling that he had meant that he was just altered by drugs. Seeing people having emotions. You know you talked about your kids. I got kids the same age. Where's the celebrities with taking their kids to school? They miss all that stuff. They're in they're in clinics, they're in rehab, their their homes are in the hills, and nobody had families out there that let's get back to simple things. If you're gonna do ketamine, you're gonna seek it out. Seek out the FDA approved ketamine, the counseling, the psychiatrist of behavioral health clinics, not the rogue. Rogue leads to death. You know.
Speaker 1: One saying that Matthew Perry said. He said that when I ever die, I'm probably going to be remembered from my role in Friends. But what I want to be remembered for is how I helped people and maybe helped them get out of or avoid addiction. And he has done that. He has helped so many people, and he's helping us now spreading the word about ketamine. It's not over yet.
Speaker 2: This whole group are like wet cats and a barrel, fighting and clawing for a way out. We wait as justice unfolds. Nancy Gray's crime Stories, signing off