Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio Podcast. Good morning, everyone, Welcome to Morning Run. It is Thursday, or as we'd like to call it here Friday Eve, January twenty ninth.
Speaker 2: I'm Amy Robox and I'm TJ. Holmes. We have a very very busy newsday cooking here on this Thursday. We already have a couple of updates in our feet already about the first execution in the country that happened last night, the first for twenty twenty six happened last night. Then keep an eye on everything going on in Minneapolis. A bunch of significant updates there. But we need to get to the Morning Run that's going to take us to a number of places, including DC, Texas, Virginia, also up and down the East coast actually, but we do have to begin rogues once again in Minneapolis, where new video is being talked about. Not a video of the shooting and the killing of Alex Pretty, but no, this is another interaction between Alex Preddy and Border patrol agents. This one happened eleven days before he was shot and killed, but it just came to light yesterday.
Speaker 1: Yes, that video shows Pretty angrily confronting immigration officers. You see him on the video spitting at the officers while they were inside their vehicle and then kicking their back tailight so hard that it shatters, and that is when the video shows the agent's vehicle stopping. Agents get out. They tackle Pretty to the ground and he resists the entire time. Now, once the agents let him go and take off, you can see in the video that handgun tucked in Preddy's waistband. Now, Preddy's family, through a representative, says yes, we knew about this incident, and they said Pretty sustained injuries from that scuffle but didn't receive any medical care.
Speaker 2: And this has now set up a whole new round of arguments over the video, over Preddy, over his background, over how he's being perceived and presented by two different size. The family did release a statement saying that they knew about this again, despite posing no threat to anyone. They're describing the incident here said he was violently assaulted by a group of ICE agents. Nothing that happened a full week before could possibly have justified Alex's killing at the hands of Ice. On January twenty fourth, wrote that is true. However, this video does show don't know what happened before, don't know what happened after, just like the other video. But this is not the right. He could still be a very caring and sensitive ICU nurse. He was spitting, cursing angrily at these agents who were getting in their vehicle and leaving. What he did we see as an assault, that's correct. An assault on officers, that's correct.
Speaker 1: And again yes we will reiterate we are not and no one is saying that anything justifies what happened to him ultimately eleven days later. But this notion that he is a peaceful protester who was just carrying signs and shouting. He caused property damage and went after a vehicle that was leaving, So that is indisputable.
Speaker 2: You know, And this is one of those if you want to talk about the ICE agents, he spit in the direction of these agents. He spit and they didn't react, They got in their vehicle.
Speaker 1: Look, it wasn't until he damaged their car that they got out.
Speaker 2: Significant to your point, significant He kicked not just out a light, the whole backside of the light. The whole piece came off. So it's just this does not justify anything that happened eleven days later, but it's now giving fuel to folks like President Trump was saying, Hey, look see who posted the president of course on truth social he reposted the video, but then reposted what someone else had said about it, saying, quote such a peaceful protester also shared another screen grap describing Preddy as a domestic terrorist. Meanwhile, we do want to let you know the two border agents who were involved in that shooting and killing of Preddy have officially been placed on administrative lead.
Speaker 1: That's right, But next up on the run. We're going to stay in Minneapolis because we now know what that foul smelling liquid was that a man sprayed on Congresswoman Ilhan Omar at that town hall meeting earlier this week, Apple cider vinegar. Fifty five year old Anthony Kazimar kazumer Zak has been charged with third degree assault. He could face federal charges now for assaulting a member of Congress. Ilhan Omar seemed to suggest that was going to happen today. We don't know that that's the case, but we do have a little bit more information about Kazimirzak. He told a neighbor that he might get arrested, So this was something that he reportedly planned. He had a lot of social media posts that were pro Trump, anti Omar, and he does have a criminal history, several duy's, and so a lot of people are just looking into his background and saying that this was somebody who legitimately was going after Omar. This isn't somebody who Omar paid to go after her.
Speaker 2: Still, despite all that many people and still this morning sucklelook as always do on x the word staged was still trending in the top ten, in fact, in the top five. That's because a lot of people are pointing to this video and breaking it down and slowing it down and thinking that ilan Omar gave some kind of a signal to this man to get up and do it. So they're saying this was all stage. And now President Trump has chimed in saying quote, she probably had her self sprayed knowing her So Trump is questioning the validity of the attack. Elan Omar is questioning his mental capacity, asking is he suffering from dementia. She went on to say that every time the president has chosen to use hateful rhetoric to talk about me and the community, that I represent my death threats skyrocket. I do believe that the facts of the situation are that I wouldn't be where I am today having to pay for security, having the government to think about providing me security if Donald Trump wasn't in office. I thought that was powerful. She say, every time he opens his mouth, I get more death threats.
Speaker 1: And that makes sense. That absolutely makes sense. We're gonna head now to Washington, d C. Where a bipartisan miracle is in play. I was actually looking to see if I could make a miracle on Independence Avenue. But yes, President Trump and Senator Chuck Schumer are reportedly close to an agreement that is miraculous in and of itself. They're negotiating a plan to avoid the government shutdown that is looming at midnight tomorrow. Now. The plan would reportedly remove the legislation that funds the Department of Homeland Security from the larger spending measures that would keep the rest of the government running through the remainder of the fiscal year.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the Congress would then consider a short term extension for DHS, which would prevent any disruptions with TSA, the Coast Guard, and FEMA. So they're doing it They seem really really adept at kicking the can down. Really, this is all they're doing is buying yourself more time now. Now, this yes will give them more time to draft a new homeland security spending bill that would include restrictions on tactics employed by ice agents. They just want to rain them in a bit. The deadline for getting the sixty votes needed and the Senate is midnight tomorrow. Yes, we are potentially looking at another shut down within the next twenty four hours.
Speaker 1: But this is a midterm election year and nobody wants to actually be blamed for this shutdown, so they are motivated more than ever before to make sure that does not happen. Next up on the run, everyone, literally everyone who lives along or near the Eastern Seaboard is being warned right now another storm may be coming. We should no more later today, but right now meteorologists are saying this major storm, it's been called a nor'easter, it's been called a bomb cyclone. It's going to form We know this for sure off the coast of the Carolinas this weekend, but there are a lot of different scenarios depending on which storm, which pack, the storm takes. If it shifts slightly to the east, we'll all pretty much be able to breathe a sigh of relief, but it will stay out to see. However, there is another scenario.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that scenario has it moving slightly west. Slightly west would be the East coast. So we could be looking at another major storm and ice event. And it's going to be no matter what is, it's going to be coal. National Weather Service talking about the Ohio Valley, mid Atlantic and down to the south, that entire region or regions could set record low temperature starting on Friday and into the weekend. As we sit here in New York, we are not getting a buff freezing until next Wednesday. They are telling us at all the air temperature will not get above thirty two degrees and for the most part it's twenty nineteen over the next two days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we're actually traveling south this weekend, and I thought, okay, good, Nope, still going to be single digits in the South this weekend. You can't escape it, exactly all right. Next up on the run, we are going to head south to Texas, where that state carried out the first execution of twenty twenty six fifty five year old Charles Victor Thompson was pronounced dead at six fifty pm Central time. He was convicted for the nineteen ninety eight murders of his ex girlfriend Denise Hayslip and her new boyfriend, Darren Kine. There was a pretty big attendance at his execution last night compared to other executions we've covered. You had Thompson's own dad, who was in a separate room, Denise Hayslip's son, her brother, her brother's wife, and then Darren Kane's parents and his ex wife were all in attendance to watch Thompson die.
Speaker 2: They watched him die, and they heard him give his final words. We have seen plenty, and we covered a lot last year. Most of the time they say nothing when asked for their final words. Sometimes they might let out a word or two, certainly a sentence he had more to say. His final words were I hope the victims family, their extended family, and their loved ones can find forgiveness in their heart, and that you can begin to heal and move past this. There are no winners in this situation. It creates more victims and traumatizes more people. Twenty eight years later, I'm sorry for what I did. I'm sorry for what happened. That I want to tell all of y'all I love you and that you keep Jesus in your life, keep Jesus first to my children, get to know the Lord, and I love you all. Okay, this was the first time, according to the DA that he took responsibility and certainly apologized for anything. Even the son of one of the victims said, yes, it gave accountability is all he was looking for.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And by the way, just getting into the case itself, he had an escape. There's a Netflix documentary. There's a movie that was made based on what happened, not just in the murder, but in the years it followed while he was on death row. So we did an entire podcast before Morning Run if you want to check that out. We go into all the details. They are fascinating about this case. But next up on the Run, we're going to head to Fairfax County, Virginia and talk about a fascinating case. It is going to be another explosive day in court today. Forty year old Brendan Banfield, the man accused of killing his wife, Christine and another man, Joseph Ryan, in an elaborate catfishing scheme is on the stand testifying in his own defense. Today, he is going to continue his narrative, telling jurors his version of events, and it is completely at odds with the prosecution. Star witness the family's O pair, with whom Banfield admits to having an affair with in the weeks leading up to the murders. And just for those who don't know, the O pair is claiming that she and Brendan conspired to set up this fake account to lure a stranger to the home to play out a violent sex fantasy and then pin the murder of Christine on him and look like a hero trying to save Christine.
Speaker 2: We have been trying, We've been covering this case for a while. It is impossible to sum it up like it can't just say so. That's why people saying old pair affair murders is just such a complicated case. Banfield has maintained his innocence from the beginning, testified on Wednesday. There was no plan, no plan with the old pair to kill his wife so they could be together. He did. However, he flat out admitted he has had previous affairs. Also said his wife had had previous affairs, they worked through them and wanted to continue their marriage. Juliana. He said the old pair was nothing more than just another affair. Why after six or eight weeks am I trying to kill my wife and have this elaborate plan. No his words, it's absurd. The line of questioning for something that is not serious, that a plan was made to get rid of my wife. That is absolutely ridiculous. In quote, we're back on the stand this morning, and Robes, the prosecution is going to get a chance to cross examine a murder suspect. You just don't get this a lot.
Speaker 1: This is appointment television for us. We have been riveted by the trial from the very beginning, but today is going to be a red letter day.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, folks, stick with us on this Thursday morning run. When we come back. Parents need to hear this. There is a recall a food having to do with teething babies. You'll want to hear that. Also, the Hall of Fame is chiming in on what everybody else has chimed in on. Hainda hell is Bill Belichick not getting into the Hall of Fame on the first pass? And Milania Trump is on a promotional tours to.
Speaker 1: Hear Welcome back to our Thursday morning run and parents need to listen up to this next story. Baby food product maker Gerber. We all know gerber It is recalling its arrowroot biscuits because they could contain pieces of plastic or paper. Now, these biscuits are really popular with teething babies. When I saw the box, I was immediately taken back to when my girls were little. I absolutely bought the things. They really help when babies are teething. They love them and they're chewing on them and it just helps them get through some of the pain.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Thankfully, despite the fact that there could be plastic or paper in these biscuits, no injuries have been reported so far. But Gerber says those pieces of plastic in paper, they know where they came from, a supplier of the flower that's used to make the biscuits.
Speaker 2: Okay, so this recall includes the five and a half hounce packages of the biscuits with best by dates between October sixteenth and December sixteenth YEP of twenty twenty twenty twenty six those so a two month stretch there at the end of this year. If you got anything that says best by the last two months of the end of this year. Fair to just go ahead and toss those suckers right, correct. Okay, you have any of these products, they say, you can get a full refund if you return it to where you got it. Also continue on the run here now. NFL Hall of Fame has responded to the uproar over Bill Belichick being left off this year's lists. This kind of sounds like a warning they had to their own selection committee committee. This was such a big deal. This guy has won more Super Bowls than anybody. The question is is he the greatest coach of all time, not whether or not he goes into the Hall of Fame. So for him to be left off first ballot is like the greatest honor anybody can get. Think about the Tom Brady's, the Michael Jordan's like the greatest ever. Of course, your first chance you're eligible, you're getting in. This was his first chance being eligible and he didn't get in. That just yeah, you can't justify it and cannot.
Speaker 1: And all of the biggest names, all of the household names that have anything to do with the NFL past and present, have weighed in with outrage and shock. So this then was the statement from the Hall of Fame. Basically, they're saying they understand and respect the passionate reaction of many fans, media members, and in Schineese, of the Hall itself in light of published reports regarding the voting results for the Class of twenty twenty six. They say, it's that very passion that propels the game, right. Okay, So they say, each year, the Hall reviews the selection process and the composition of the fil fifty persons selection committee. If it is determined that any members violated the selection process by laws, action will be taken that could include the possibility that such selectors would not remain a member of the committee moving forward. The selection of the new class is the most important duty the Hall of Fame overseas each year, and the integrity of that process cannot be in question. So basically they're gonna it sounds like, look into who voted against Bill Belichick and why, and if they think that there was anything other than the merits of the case, they're going to get kicked off the committee.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's eleven people. They're going to be kicked off. You cannot tell me. Nobody I don't care. There's none to talk about. I don't understand this.
Speaker 1: How could you justify not including.
Speaker 2: I would love to hear it, but it's not on the merits. It's about something personal. So if it's the flate Gate, if it's spygate, I want to hear that. But that means Tom Brady's not going in because he was in the middle of the flate Gate. You can't justify that one scandal and all those Super Bowl Nope, we're gonna punish you, or at least embarrass you. What'd you say a middle finger.
Speaker 1: To Bill Bellichie? Yeah, it was an fu that's yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You also need to note Eli Manning. He didn't make it either. This is a second time around. Okay, I'm a fan, but if you want to make an argument on the merits, I'll listen on Eli.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh Peyton, Yeah, you know, you know what they said. If Belichick hadn't been the headline he has been obviously by being omitted, everyone would have been talking about Eli Manning. But he's kind of like, no one even cares. Yeah, because the Bill Belichick thing is so much bigger. All right, For the final leg of our run, the Milamia premiere is tonight. It's going to have an invitation only premiere screening in twenty one cities. They say, some hand pick celebrities that we did not. All the members of President's President Trump's cabinet will all be it some of these premieres. But then tomorrow on Friday, it's going to have its theatrical release around the world for all to see. A lot of people want to see what these numbers are going to be like with the bottom line for the yeah who goes to see this, what the standings will be after this movie is released. But the contents of the one hour and forty four minute film, it's no one knows. It's been kept under wraps. There were no advanced screeners for reporters like we usually get, so no one really knows what we're going to see.
Speaker 2: Exclusive footage capturing critical meetings, private conversations, and never before seen environments. That's how they promote it. Now she has been promoting it as well. Look, I saw the tea's on Fox News yesterday, as said coming up Malania Trump. I said, oh, do they have her? They're just saying it's gonna be a story. I looked up she's sitting there on set because she is trying to promote this movie. She said, I'm a very private person and very selective person. What I do, what I don't do, when I talk and when I don't talk, and that's my choice, and nobody is in charge of me.
Speaker 1: Honestly, hearing that makes me totally want to see this documentary. I'm interested.
Speaker 2: Look, I am fast as we all are. I think about Melania Trump. We just are because we see her. We're impressed by her. She says so much without saying anything, and I'm dying. I am kind of itching to see this.
Speaker 1: I'm itching to see it too, because they're also reportedly Baron Trump might be in here in some of the footage. I don't think I've ever heard his voice. That's someone else I've just seen. We hear all from all of Trump's other children. I don't know that I know what Baron's voice sounds like.
Speaker 2: This makes you very curious about the move. I'll look up, I'll see what it's expected to do at the box office this weekend. But yeah, it'll be a big push and it might be a big MAGA turnout for this thing as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, the ratings are everything, and you know we'll hear all about them.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it'd be the biggest pa.
Speaker 1: No one in the history of filmmaking has had a premiere like Malamia. But we'll wait for that, all right. Quote of the day, as you head out on this Friday eve, you cannot see your reflection in boiling water. Similarly, you cannot see the truth in a state of anger. When the water calms, clarity comes.
Speaker 2: I love the truth. Sounds like that was that was more direct than it was been happening at the Robot Holmes house.
Speaker 1: Oh, I was thinking about the country.
Speaker 2: You want to you want to take our issues out to the people. You really want to do that.
Speaker 1: Okay, fine, you know what, this is something you can use in a macro lens or in a micro lens. You can apply it to yourself. You can apply it to the world and what we see in the headlines every day. But I just thought that was such an important point. We all get clouded by our anger, and we all want to see things to justify how we're feeling. But actually you're blinded by your anger. That is so true.
Speaker 2: All right, Let the water stop boiling.
Speaker 1: One more time for everybody. You cannot see your reflection in boiling water. Similarly, you cannot see the truth in a state of anger. When the water calms, clarity comes. I love that all right. And with that everyone, thank you so much for listening to us and running with us on this Thursday.
Speaker 2: I'm Amy Robots and I'm TJ. Homes. We will be talking to you all plenty throughout today.
Speaker 1: M hm.