Speaker 1: But I invited you here, thought I made myself perfectly clear. But you're a guest to my home.
Speaker 2: You gotta come to me empty, And I said, no, guests, your presences presence enough, and I already had too much stuff, So how do you.
Speaker 3: Dare to surbey me? Welcome to, I said, no Gifts. I'm Pritchard Wine girl. We're in the backyard. I hope you're enjoying yourself. I hope you're having a nice time and whatever casino you're currently in, just sitting there with a cigarette dangling out of your mouth or whatever you're doing. My lunch tasted weird. Let's get into the podcast. I adore today's guest. He's just so funny. It's Moroka Mo. Welcome to, I said, Okaifts.
Speaker 4: I'm so happy to be here. I never saw Eat, Pray, Love, but I feel like she probably went to a place like this at some point.
Speaker 3: This backyard.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, it's like, what is this a palazzo? It's something. It's if I had been brought here blindfolded, and I won't say that I wasn't and I would. I'm not sure I know where I was that.
Speaker 3: We want to just disorient the guests. That's the entire purpose of this backyard. Just leave them feeling very confused and dizzy.
Speaker 4: And I am, is this the Shangri Law neighborhood of Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: You're in town for just a few days. What have you been up to?
Speaker 4: You know, I've just been driving into I was on KTLA this morning fall.
Speaker 3: That's exciting.
Speaker 4: It was exciting. They have so much fun on that morning show. The amount of time they devoted to the masked singer. I just I thought, this is where I want to be right now. The world's on fire, and I mean this, I mean, they were just having a great time and they brought me on set, and I just thought, my teeth are just not white enough to be here. I mean, they're not and I'm embarrassed. I'm okay with my teeth being a little askew, right, but they are not right enough. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I feel like morning shows. I'm surprised they don't check teeth at the door, right. That feels I mean, everybody on the glowing.
Speaker 4: Teeth gleaming like it comes like with a sound.
Speaker 3: Effect, right. I don't know that teeth bleaching is in my life.
Speaker 4: Teeth white bleaching.
Speaker 3: White, Yeah, whitening.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't think you need it. I can tell right now.
Speaker 3: Well, you know my teeth, but they're like a natural tooth color, I would assume, or I know, but you see people with white teeth and you're like, am I doing this wrong?
Speaker 5: Or right?
Speaker 3: Maybe it's all right?
Speaker 4: Well, I wonder if you if do you happen to have one of those Sherman Williams kind of what are the.
Speaker 3: Wheel of paint sample thing? Yeah?
Speaker 4: The sample things? What a crew? Is that the color the teeth should be?
Speaker 3: Oh? A crew? I've never heard of a crew? Is it kind of an eggshell? Yes?
Speaker 4: Oh, okay shell.
Speaker 3: I feel like there should be a whole line of paints just after different types.
Speaker 4: Of teeth, different types of teeth. But it is crazy how out here everybody has I mean, so many people have the same teeth.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, the teeth that have come from factory.
Speaker 4: I mean, how are these people going to be identified later?
Speaker 3: That's a great question. I've never thought about that. How does a veneer work as far as the uniqueness of a tooth? Interesting?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: Yes, well I guess do you maybe? I guess your molars are like the last hope because you probably don't get a veneer on your molar.
Speaker 4: Probably not. Did I have those taken out? I can't remember. I had my wisdom teeth taking down to different than my molars.
Speaker 3: Do you remember when you had your wisdom teeth?
Speaker 4: Yes, I do remember, because you had to. I don't know if they still do it the same way, but I was living in Dallas. Dallas is of course where you get your wisdom teeth taken out. That's why I moved there. I mean, I was anticipating it's a must. The New York Times thirty six hours in Dallas, have your wisdom teeth taken out. And you know, back then, back then in the nineties, you had to have someone that would It's like someone picking you up from your colonoscopy. You had to have somebody that was going to pick you up after your wisdom teeth were taken out and be with you if you were single. And at the time I was single and my friend Stephanie was like watching over me. And I don't know how long I was in a Hayes four, but I do remember. Sorry, this is really graphic. I remember. Actually I never haven't thought about this since the nineties. I had to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, and and I went and I sat down, and I was so tired from the antesesia. I guess that when I was sitting down, Oh my god, what's happening.
Speaker 3: The helicopters here. They're here too early. We were going to send you out on the copter, but they'll just wait. So you're waking up in the middle of the night.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I had to relieve myself. I was just going to pee, and but I was sitting down because I was just sort of be in a haze. Actually I do that all the time anyway. But and I rested my elbows like on my knees and and my head like in one hand, basically, just as I was sort of tired. And there are little stitches that they put in there, and they kind of came on. I think they came undone, yeah, because I applied so much pressure on them.
Speaker 3: And then I mean it was like gushing blood. What happened.
Speaker 4: It wasn't really, it was just a little taste.
Speaker 3: Well then it was a little midnight snack.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And then I went and had some sorbet just as a palate lenser.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wisdom teeth removal is the one time I've ever been put out completely and it's a that part of it is a very exciting experience.
Speaker 4: I love that part of it. Now when you have and when you have an upper giendoscopy, also they put you do they put you out for the colon? They put you out. They put you out for the one that goes in your throat.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, right, and not for a colonauster They don't.
Speaker 4: But if you have them at the same time, if it's a two camera shoot, they do, which I have. And I always wonder about the coverage of it, like are the cameras going to see each other on editing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, solve all of those problems.
Speaker 4: Well, but you get to make sure not to cross the line. I think that's what the DP will tell you if you if you if you have a really good insurance, Planet comes with the DP.
Speaker 3: It's covered by the guild. This is a union approved shoot, right, Okay. So you were saying that they were talking about the mask singer this morning. Were you able to contribute to that conversation at all.
Speaker 4: I wasn't. I acknowledged it because I think it was important to acknowledge that they've been talking about it, and then we started talking about famous people who died in the same day, because that's why they had be come on to talk to us.
Speaker 3: Died in the same day, well.
Speaker 4: June twenty fifth, twenty nine, when Pharaoh Faucet and Michael Jackson died. Right, Yeah, I felt so bad for you know, she had the first half of the day depending on where you lived, like on the East Coast, she had most of the waking hours in La. She really got screwed over. I mean, she did die that day, so she was technically already it was a lousy day for her, but it got worse when Michael Jackson overshadowed her.
Speaker 3: Right, my wife came on the record.
Speaker 4: Yeah, kind of like really pushed off the front page.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The next day on CBS's Early Show More Morning Show, Michael Jackson was mentioned over one hundred times. Fair foss I got six mentions, Oh my god. And Ed McMahon had died two days before and people.
Speaker 3: Had already forgot forget what he's a shadow at that point. Wow, one hundred versus six.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, it was a shock with him, right, Like, she had been sick, she had been ill. We knew she was ill and she really also, I mean, she did a reality show at the end about the cancer she was living with, which is anal cancer, which at the time no one wanted to mention, and to her great credit, she mentioned it her She talked about it explicitly and that was good.
Speaker 3: And then here comes Michael just forget all about.
Speaker 4: It, yes, like moon offing right into her shot, like, yeah, but it's happened. It's happened a lot. I mean, you know, Margaret Thatcher and a net Fuinicello died in the same day.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I imagine Margaret was the big big ticket there for print.
Speaker 4: It was because she was an important death and it was obviously, but a net Funicello I think she was like she was such a big deal in the fifties and sixties, Like it's like you teach Selena Gomez and who's what the high school musical the Vanessa Hudgens, Oh right, and multiply that by like orders of magnitude bigger. I mean, she was so big. So for baby boomers, I think it was kind of like, we should be talking about Margaret Thatcher, but we want to be talking about a net Finicello, Right, what year was that? Uh, oh gosh, when did they die? It was before Meryl Street made the movie. Oh, okay, I don't have the I don't have the year for you thirteen us it was twenty thirteen.
Speaker 3: Wow. For whatever reason, neither of these crossed my desk. I don't remember either of them dying, and that's crazy. Those are both big deaths.
Speaker 4: Were you having your wisdom teeth taken out that day?
Speaker 3: There was an hour that I don't remember from that day, and it's the hour I'm usually online, so maybe that's what happened. Yeah, that's really fascinating.
Speaker 4: Oh, it is interesting who gets well sometimes? You know, some of these the coverage really holds up. Like Jim Henson and Sammy Davis Junior died on the same day, right, I mean, just two brilliant creative talents, and the newspapers, if you look back at them, they were side by side for the most part. The television coverage it was usually like two great Hollywood or you know, the the legends of television Hollywood died left us today and it was appropriate. And I think, even looking back now, it's like, yes, that makes sense. I don't know who I would have given lead coverage to.
Speaker 3: Right and remind me of what Jim I remember him dying. What did he die of?
Speaker 4: He died? It was it was a kind of pneumonia. I think a lot of the time at the time, people thought, oh, it was this HIV is an a It's like, it's this euphemistic and it was not. He had an infection and was it a bacterial infection?
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, I have like a weird, foggy memory of it being strep throat, which can't possibly be true.
Speaker 5: Wait it is, yeah, streptocockle toxic shock syndrome caused by a strap.
Speaker 4: Yeah god, and I really yeah, thank you for that boy, for that fact check. I'm embarrassed. And I called it pneumonia. I think we thought it was pneumonia at first.
Speaker 3: Sorry anyway, Wow, that I've held onto that information that long and almost no other.
Speaker 4: Information amazing that you knew that that is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it felt like a like a weird childhood logic, where like I had had strep throat, so that would I imagine that would kill someone. But I guess I just had a personal attachment to strep throat and it stuck with me.
Speaker 4: Well, I could have also had something to do with your attachment to the Muppets. Well, certain, I mean, I mean it was I mean, it was a really it was a real shocker.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, it was a shock, right because he was fairly young.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, and he like apparently walked into an emergency rooms that I'm not feeling. Wow, oh my god. Yeah, I mean it's really terrible. I mean, his junior had been ill for a long time, he'd throat cancer and they had a huge send off on ABC with you know, Gregor Hines danced with him when he could barely stand up, and it was pretty amazing.
Speaker 3: Right, Wow, what a day, what a memory?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, what have you been doing to fill your days? Has the strike affected you at all?
Speaker 4: No, I'm fortunate because I work in news and it's covered under a different contract, right yeah, So yeah.
Speaker 3: It's only affected you as far as you're watching it all.
Speaker 4: Unfold, yes, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And hopefully by the time this releases, the sex strike will be over. But as of today, it's just all blown up again, which is.
Speaker 4: I read that, and it's terrible, and I mean I'm not saying anything new here, but boy, the amounts of money that the heads of these company make oh, I mean, I think we'll look back and it's I think, well, we don't even need to look back. It's appalling now, but but it's interesting to see how this will be viewed even just a few years from now, Like, really, it's kind of nuts.
Speaker 3: I think about these like five extremely wealthy people. I'm always like, isn't there one child in one of those families that's like Dad, this doesn't seem like the right thing to do. Or they're all just greed driven psychos.
Speaker 4: You know, it's so interesting you say that, I don't is this. I don't think there's anything wrong with revealing this. I had Lloyd Blankfine, who was running Goldman Sachs I think I had that right, came by CBS where I work, and there was talk about doing a piece on him, and he mentioned that his kids say to him it's hard to have a job in the service industry and to support yourself. And he was candid and he said what he told his kids, which is, well, you just have to work harder. Like he didn't feel that the system was fundamentally flawed. He also thought, I think what a lot of that. There are obviously people who think this that taxes are largely wasted. I think the example, and I want to be fair here the example he said, when you would just go through like the Midtown Tunnel, that the money that you're spending is allocated, you know, both to municipal and state government, it doesn't make sense. A lot of it is just wasted. So I don't know anyway, but he seemed pretty comfortable with how things stand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you just get to that spot and completely forget.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, did you have prior to your career becoming your career, did you have any day jobs or service jops.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I delivered pizza for a while. I was, you know, a movie theater usher. When I first got out of college, I had two jobs waiting tables. I worked at pizzeria UNO's during the day in Georgetown, and at night I was a roller skating waiter at a place called Lenny Swass, which was you know, I grew up in DC, and that's where I went right after I finished school, just for a while to earn money to move to New York. And this restaurant where the waiters roller skated and sang was sort of Washington's version of Wacky and Inzany, which of course was Sostogian, not that Zany and roller blades had just come in and one waiter, I think it was the head waiter, was on roller blade, which was really great. Yeah, but it was actually a lot safer to just be on the four wheeled roller skates because if you got nervous, if you were carings of say a bowl of hot French onion soup, and you thought, oh my god, you could just sort of step like kind of walk around because they were the four wheeled ones clumpy.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Were you a natural roller skater before you got the job?
Speaker 4: I had been, because I liked to roller skate in the basement, or as my father would called a seller of our house. And my father played the trumpet, and so he would play the trumpet Dixie Land jazz while I would roller skate in the cellar, pretending I was Dorothy Hamill at Innsbruck, Austria in nineteen seventy six, because there was a pole in the middle, and so I could grab the pole and just spin in a way like I could pretend I was doing a seal cow or a toe loop, or what's the other one. There's a triple sell cow, the toe loop and there's one. There's a third one I'm forgetting. Yeah, there's like three of them. But anyway, and our dryer didn't work for a long time. I don't know why. We just didn't get a new one anyway, But so we would hang sheets and clothes and clotheslines in the cellar. But what you could do then if you were roller skating through the cellar is it felt like Xanadu basically like Olivia John. Yeah, going through like you know, just going through sheets and towels that were hanging there like.
Speaker 3: Like a haunted house.
Speaker 4: Well, I guess so many ways, yes, but yeah, it was to be able to skate through that. There were constant reveals by doing that, uh huh?
Speaker 3: And are exciting really training you for the obstacles of a restaurant?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I guess. So I never listened. I never dropped a play.
Speaker 3: Did when you applied for the job, did they just ask you can you roller skate? Or did you have to demonstrate? You know?
Speaker 4: I think I had sort of an old showbized streak, which was sort of like just say you can do it. You also had to sing, and so I sang a song, a Tom Lair song called the Masochism tango. So the idea was that you'd serve, you know, the diners, and then you'd get up and you'd sing. The waiters would all sing different things, and the restaurant was on its last legs at that point. It was holding on to this that that Elizabeth Taylor during her penultimate marriage I think that's right, was to Senator John Warner. So she had had a DC phase and she liked going to this restaurant. So they really held onto it.
Speaker 3: But this was like that over lasts so long.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can't stop after that exactly. It's like she'd moved on to the to the construction worker, to Larry Fourtenski by this point. So it was, oh, Liz Taylor likes Lenny Swass and it's like, yeah, but that was over ten years ago.
Speaker 3: Forget it. Yeah, I mean it was the quality of food horrible.
Speaker 4: I think it was fine, Yeah, it was okay.
Speaker 3: And while you've were I mean, I feel like when I'm on roller skates or rollerblades, I have a very hard time not being happy. But I feel like when you're at work, that's got to be such a confusing journey emotionally. Were you mad to be at work or was it a fun time?
Speaker 4: No? No, I was twenty two, so I wasn't mad to be at work. I was a little nervous because the carpet would sometimes wrinkle and that's really dangerous.
Speaker 3: A really flat car. Oh what are they doing?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I mean this was really hazardous. And it was a very stressful timecause during the day I was working at pizzer Rihounos where they had the five it was something like the five minute lunch, and so you'd have to get the And I experienced this with and I think it's illegal now with delivering pizza where if you didn't get the pizza to the person in thirty minutes, the delivery, you know, and they'd be standing at the door. It was called pisa movers. It was a poor man's like dominoes. And I think that's illegal now because people were crashing into each other, you know, and of course, like you know, running over people so that you wouldn't get docked. But Pizza r UNO's had a five minute lunch. Five minutes, yeah, so from the time you ordered the express lunch. From the time you ordered it, you were supposed to get your lunch. I can't remember the exact time. I think it was five or ten minutes. But that was very stressful during the day, and I think they would dock your pay if you were late a certain number of times, so stressful. So yeah, during the day I was racing against the clock and at night I was just hoping not to burn someone to death.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ten minute pizza delivery feels like a physical impossibility unless you live next year.
Speaker 4: This was sorry, this is pizza huas in the restaurant.
Speaker 3: Oh this is I'm imagining you driving around town in an absolute panic.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, so no, we'd had to live in someplace with like pneumatic tubes. We we're just pizza.
Speaker 3: Shot lamming against walls, tomato sauce everywhere. But you were a delivery driver prior to this.
Speaker 4: Yes, I was a delivery driver for pizza Movers, and I was a waiter in house for Pizza Rica Uno.
Speaker 3: Wow, I really did it all. Yeah, as a pizza delivery driver, were there any scary moments?
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I think because in that case it was a it was a thirty minute time limit, and it was scary. I mean, it was also kind of thrilling, and I think I was driving stick shift, so that felt exciting, like you know, doing that kind of a thing. And it was a Mazda I think it was a car used car that I bought.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you just get to listen to music and deliver pizza.
Speaker 4: I guess it had a radio.
Speaker 3: But there was never like a moment where you pulled up to an empty lot, like physically scary.
Speaker 4: I don't remember feeling threatened, if that's a tad, right. Yeah, I wasn't lured to an address that didn't exist, that was just an empty lot. No, I don't think nothing like that ever happened.
Speaker 3: Okay, now that would be my big fear there was. I believe there was an unsolved mysteries about you know, delivery driver pulls up, it's an empty field. That's the last we see of them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, that did not. Thankfully, that did not happen to me. But I did you know when I worked at Pizzeria Uno. It's a place where I was in Georgetown where I actually was a waiter. To remember that I served a really really big party and at the end they didn't jump the check, but they left no tip, and it was a minimum if it was six people or more, there was an automatic you were not by law, but they would add in oppatuity. And this was a probably a party of twelve, and they left nothing, and so I went and I told the manager, and I remember he ran out with me to the people down the street and he got to the head of the party and he said, you didn't leave a tap and you really are supposed to have it six or more. And the guy looked at him and then turned to me and said, with just pity. He just said, I'm sorry, but he wasn't very good. And I remember then looking at the manager and I spread to you, going, he's right. It was just like it was such a pathetic moment, but no defense. I had no defense, and I wasn't angry at the guy, but he's right. It took me forever to get them what they needed. But I just remember that he said, I'm just so sorry. He just wasn't very good.
Speaker 3: I'm still on your side here, though, even if the services, unless the service is like actively, you know, you're attacking the customer. Right, everybody realizes how hard all of this is. Leave a little.
Speaker 4: Something, yeah, yeah, yeah, no, it was pretty rough. It was I hopefully have built something character I don't know.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean speaking of people just being kind of cruel and mindless. Something I'd like to talk to you about.
Speaker 4: Is it about Charles Manson who died on the same day as Dela Reese. Yes, which is terrible. Is del Reice was great. She was really talented. Delirius is great. And even if you're not a touch fine angel person, if you are more a doctor Quinn medicine woman person, you have to acknowledge her talent.
Speaker 3: She was a presence.
Speaker 4: Her presence, Yes, her presence alone.
Speaker 3: I mean not to say that Charles didn't have a presence. Now.
Speaker 4: I understand Charles Manson haunted people's nightmares. I understand the decision to give him more coverage the day that they died. But this is when we all need to take a step back and say, del Reice chic going the man, her greatest hits. She grew up singing with Mehelia Jackson Touched by an Angel. You may not have liked it, but like forty fucking billion people watched it every Sunday night.
Speaker 3: She wasn't involved in that many murders, right.
Speaker 4: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 3: I feel like we know of it. Yeah, it could come out at some point. Maybe she was part of the Manson family. Wouldn't that be a reveal? Dela re's the lost Manson family member.
Speaker 4: I'd like to think though, if she had been, she would have set them straight.
Speaker 3: Stop that murdering, Well happened to Charles jailhouse bride? Didn't he have a bride? Oh?
Speaker 4: I think he did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's up to now.
Speaker 4: I don't know if she married to one of the Menandez brothers, so I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 3: She is crossing names off a list. I feel like I need to get on one of those jail dating websites and strike up a romance.
Speaker 4: It's so interesting. It can't be called jay dating. Oh right, it's already taken.
Speaker 3: That's taken. Yeah, p dating, prison dating.
Speaker 4: Pee dating. Oh no, that sounds like something else. Yeah, well, you know there must be a play on something like sing sing or like sing saying now, like Levenworth what can we do with.
Speaker 3: Levenworth single bars? Yeah, something like that. There's some sort of jail.
Speaker 4: Yeah block Yeah, alcatractive, they're alcatrackt a you are you alcatracted to me?
Speaker 5: I mean I found one that's called meat and inmate.
Speaker 3: That feels I don't know.
Speaker 5: That's nineteens, nineteen ninety eight. So this sounds like it, you know, is a little bit more analog. Love a prisoner, write a prisoner, classified inmate mingle dating prisoners. They're not very creative with their names. Friends beyond the wall.
Speaker 3: That sounds a little.
Speaker 5: Want to be inmates inmate passions.
Speaker 4: Inmate passion, Well, that's okay.
Speaker 5: Can median inmates connect?
Speaker 3: Wow? The options are there's a bounty of options if you want to get with a prisoner, good, wonderful, adopt, don't shop this sort of thing. Um, well, it feels like you're really trying to throw the podcast. If you're trying to the podcast is called I said no gifts. I was very excited to have you here today.
Speaker 4: Well, but I like it's the way I was raised. I couldn't come here without a gift. It's just not who I am.
Speaker 3: I looks down the driveway and you're holding Yes, it's clearly a gift.
Speaker 4: Yes, I wanted to Well, I'm just going to give.
Speaker 3: It to you. Okay, it's a it's in a white bag.
Speaker 4: It's in a white, very.
Speaker 3: Classy looking bag. Should I open it? Here? On the podcast.
Speaker 4: I really, I really wish you would. I really wish you would. As you can see, I brought it in.
Speaker 3: A bag from from the four seasons.
Speaker 4: From the Beverly Wilshire four season.
Speaker 3: Incredible is the gift inside from the four seasons.
Speaker 4: It is from the four seasons.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm gonna reach in here and okay, there's some tissue. Oh okay, here we go. So there's some tissue. We're getting that on the mic, I'm unwrapping, unwrapping. Oh, it's a towel.
Speaker 4: It is a hand hotel towel. It is a hand towel from the Beverly Willshare and you know the Beverly Will Share. It just has such an amazing history. And you know, I thought, and I actually have a brochure here and I want to include it the Beverly Will Share. You know, that's a map of LA Subway. Sorry. The Beverly Willshare was built in January nineteen twenty eight, and it is it's no stranger to fame as celebrities, royalty and the international elite have all stayed here. And you know, I started thinking of all the amazing people who have used that hand towel you know, I thought, you know, Herbert Hoover would be elected soon after it open, and I suspect that he might have used that hand hole. He sweated a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, before you go any further, I should say the podcast is sponsored by Travel Lodge. But we can continue, we can keep talking. So this is actually like a room towel.
Speaker 4: It is a room hand towel.
Speaker 3: And did you tell the hotel staff I need a gift bag. I need to wrap this up because it's clearly been wrapped by somebody.
Speaker 4: I told them that I needed a bag and some tissue paper, and I just assumed they would surmise he didn't fur the rest that I was going to be gifting one of their historic hand towels. You know, nineteen twenty eight was the end of the silent era, so I think that Greta Garbo may have used that hand howel as a silent film actress. And when she went and did a Christie and you know, and Camille and all of her great early sound work.
Speaker 3: And all the sweatings she did when she realized I've got it to make the transition. How will this affect my career?
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, I can just see it right now that she was so nervous about how she would sound in her first sound test.
Speaker 3: Still audiences accepted.
Speaker 4: Yes. And she wiped her face with that towel, and as she it dropped down, she looked in the mirror and annalis, what's the first thing? She said? It was an anti Christie Gretigorpa's first words were I want another Scotch or I give me a Vodkas stinger. Now that's onlein stretch. What did she say? She wanted to drink, Give me another one and make it whatever one coke zero.
Speaker 5: Please give me a whiskey ginger ale on the side, and don't be stingy baby.
Speaker 4: Yes, and she practiced that as she finished wiping the sweat from her brows.
Speaker 3: Elle was sopping wet at this point.
Speaker 4: Yes. In nineteen seventy they added a Mediterranean style pool modeled on Sophia Loren's pool at her villa in Italy. And I like to think of Sophia Lorenz coming and using.
Speaker 3: That towel, this single towel. I mean, it's been used by stars galore.
Speaker 4: It has been used by stars, It's been involved in scandals. I think Daddy Arbuckle, I think used it to soak up the blood. No, I'm sorry, he actually was wrongly acute. Sorry scratch out from the record, but I'm sure that it's been Yeah, well, Pretty Woman was filmed at the Beverly will Share a lot of it was filmed there.
Speaker 3: So Richard and Julia, have you they have touched that towel. They've probably shared the towel.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they probably shared the towel, both.
Speaker 3: Washing their hands, going headed to craft services. Yes, I need to dry off. Seems like I really do believe it's probably been found in at least the hands of one corpse. When you're a towel at a hotel.
Speaker 4: When you're a towel at a hotel, you're part of a crime.
Speaker 3: Scene, you will be I mean, the chances have been part of a crime scene are through the roof.
Speaker 4: Absolutely. I mean, let's I think of all the things that might have happened. I mean, I wonder if that towel had any was touched by any member of the Manson family. I hope not. I don't think they were saying will Share.
Speaker 3: They probably passed through the past through Yeah, so certainly they were also at the fourth season.
Speaker 4: Right, Yes, No, it's amazing what happened. You know, Shirley Temple saved twentieth century Fox during the thirties, and I hope that they at least offered her a towel. I mean, after all she did for them.
Speaker 3: She had her hair wrapped up in this.
Speaker 4: That you make such a great point, for sure, because usually you need a whole bath sheet to do the whole thing where you're wrapping the turban thing that you do. Right, But she was so little.
Speaker 3: Now, when you're a child, when you're a child.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, yes, as little Nellie Kelly or when she sang on the good Ship Lollipop, you know. And she probably showered between takes or something. And it was over several days probably, It's.
Speaker 3: Like it's famous for showering between takes. She would take.
Speaker 4: It was crazy, well, she was, Yes, she really sweated a lot. She would shine a lot, so she'd very active swack Lands early in life. And I'd like to think that she could have used that towel as a hand towel to do that turbin thing.
Speaker 3: I haven't done that in a long time. I should do that around the house.
Speaker 4: It's so great, it's so great. Well, then you can pretend that you're in an ad from the nineteen seventies. It can say I'm rule a Lenska.
Speaker 3: Eating my grapefruit in the morning light. Something like that. I feel like, I mean, I have cottage cheese in my fridge right now. That's a real food to be eating in the towel turbine, certainly. Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: And I also think like, I'm wondering, do you have any pets.
Speaker 3: I have a dog.
Speaker 4: A dog's head is small enough to do a turban wrap with a hand towel.
Speaker 3: It's ideal. Absolutely, I'm sure my dog will be perfect with that. She'll be perfectly fine. She loves things on her head. And then we wrap a towel up. I put that on my head, put a towel around my waist. I've got the landline, the cords stretching all over the house. I can imagine myself doing that right now.
Speaker 4: It would be great, you know. And I didn't want to get you a facecloth because I think it's kind of gross cloth.
Speaker 3: I mean the makeup. You've got people's pores, black heads all over that thing. People have been wiping their teeth on it.
Speaker 4: Oh no, absolutely no, No, this is a handheld the hands of only the most glamorous people that have passed through the Beverly wheel Share for almost one hundred years.
Speaker 3: Do you enjoy staying in a hotel?
Speaker 4: If I can get the pillows right, Oh, if I can get the pillows right. I'm having some neck issues and I need the pillows to support my cervical curve in just the right way. And at home, I have three pillows that I know how to arrange perfectly to make that happen to create the ridge that I need for my cervical curve. And even at a glamorous place like the Four Seasons and Beverly willl Share, I can't quite get it right. But I do like saying, yeah, I like staying in hotels.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a good feeling. I love being in a hotel. I mean the towels are such a huge part of it. Yeah, being able to use towel after towel, I mean it's very wasteful.
Speaker 4: Well, no, and to know that, you know you're drying off with a towel that Adelaie Stevenson used, you know, when he accepted the nomination for president in nineteen fifty six.
Speaker 3: You can't help but feel glamorous.
Speaker 4: Yes, I mean he lost, so you might. You know, you have mixed feelings drying off of that towel.
Speaker 3: But it's still an honor to have the towel on. No, I like the towel. The pillow thing. I feel like some hotels are finally catching on. They're like, people want a sturdier pillow. You can tell hotels a little more modern that they're a little with the times. If the pillow doesn't immediately flatten under your head.
Speaker 4: Well, I think that's right. I think that's right. I also find that a little odd well that some of the the I don't know what you call the pillows that are used over the pillows, sort of the ones that are wordless. Well, so in the bed that I'm currently in right now at the Beverly Wilshire, there are I think, like two sort of pillow proper pillows, proper I should call them, right, It's like attorney's general pillows proper okay. But then over them are two big square pillows with kind of a ridge, and those are sort of like almost the equivalent of a bed spread, like the decorative pillows. But I need to deploy I need to include those pillows in the mix.
Speaker 3: You use them.
Speaker 4: I use them, and those are generally a little denser. They're also they're big square shaped pillows. Kind of suddenly having a flash to them. When I took home EC in eighth grade and we had to sew a nine paneled front right three by three on two our pillows. We were making pillows quilts over the pillow. Yeah, and you could chat during that. You can just you were allowed to sort of just chat. And the teacher, I wish I could remember her name. She was older, and she just didn't like me. And I think it made have been that the corners of my panels weren't quite, weren't perfect. My friend Mario could do it perfectly, I mean perfectly.
Speaker 3: Some people have it, some.
Speaker 4: People out and I didn't have it. And then I remember I once said, my father said that Hetty Lamar was the most beautiful actress in Hollywood. And then the teacher homeback she said Hetty Lamar was beautiful, but she was not the most beautiful actress in Hollywood. Ingrid Bergman was. And I just and even at the time, I thought, all right, you can sort of you can refute what I'm saying, because by saying this is subjective, but you're saying no, this is actually incorrect. Here is the truth.
Speaker 3: So she wasn't just sharing an opinion yes and saying, well, I think she's beautiful, but my personal choice the fact that she's attacking a child over this. Yes, there's a universal truth.
Speaker 4: And the thing is, I don't know if she was wrong. I don't know.
Speaker 3: No one ever will.
Speaker 4: We can roll the tape, and I mean, can we can examine it. Petty Lamar was beautiful. I'm thinking of Tortilla Flat, that movie where she she was miscast as a Mexican, but willso was Spencer Tracy. I mean that's pretty bad, but she was. She was beautiful in the way the Jacqueline Smith. Sorry it's just getting weird, but like jack Smith, Yeah, like in Charlie's Angels. Like I remember when Jaqueline Smith played Jackie Bouvier Kennedy and my father came into the room. I was watching that TV movie and my father went, she's too beautiful to play Jacqueline One assets.
Speaker 3: You're surrounded by people who are just attacking the women's beauty.
Speaker 4: Well, but I have to say I love people with strong opinions about stuff like that. My father went, she's too beautiful, she's perfect looking, and she's too beautiful. And then my father then said, he said, I always thought this isn't a separate conversation. Lady Bird Johnson was more attractive than Jackie Kennedy, and my mother would get very upset. And even as a child, I understood why my mother was getting upset because my mother was frod the going, wait, if that's what you think, what do you think about that? Like, my father is sort of metric, not metric, but his standard was so unconventional right that suddenly it made my mother.
Speaker 3: Insecure as a place her in the scheme of things well right, and she.
Speaker 4: Was like, no, Jacqueline Kennedy is the most beautiful first lady. But the thing is that I think that Lady Bird Johnson was absolutely enchanting and beguiling. If you listen to her audio tapes, and this is really gorulish and horrible, but when she's talking about the assassination, it's just awful. But her accent is so beautiful. I mean, this is terrible, but her accent is so beautiful because she says at one point you can find this on the internet and she goes in the blood oh missus Kennedy's dress, and it's horrible. This is horrible, and I'm not laughing about it. But it's a beautiful it's a beautiful accent, and she has this bump on her nose. And I really don't want to dissect women like this, like, but she has this. She is like really attractive lady bir Johnson.
Speaker 3: And an unconventional beauty.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't even know that I want to qualify it that way. I'm sorry, Bridger. I think that she's as obvious choice. Fine. I mean, I haven't checked the latest gallop pole on this, although I'm sure that they did poles.
Speaker 3: I feel like Jackie is going to pull ahead in all those poles, right of course she of course, she just assumed. I feel like she's she's a little bit more. She's got the name recognition immediately picturing her, the style, the grace.
Speaker 4: I think absolutely. And I think that it's just one of those things that you just simply say, Okay, yes, she was beautiful, and she was great, and she was great in many ways, but Lady by Johnson had some great things about her. Everyone goes, oh, she cared about wild flowers. It was more the highway beautification, that thing that was like a whole environmental thing. She had a whole thing worked out, that this was only part of it. And everyone said, oh, first, lady Lady by Johnson, all she cares is highway beautification. That's sweet, that's nice. It was really condescending. But she she was an important issue, but it was part of also, like she had serious environmental concerns.
Speaker 3: And our highways I mean, they've really fallen apart since she got behind and it feels like she died well she could be, you know, inspiring people from beyond the grave. I feel like we're not getting after litterbugs anymore. I feel like, until I mean the early thousands, we were all worried about littering, and now I don't hear about a word about littering. It is, it's out of control.
Speaker 4: I wonder if people are people are people littering as much that I think it's Well, there was that great little moment in mad Men, and I wasn't a religious watcher of mad Men, but you remember Don Draper and his wife and the kids go for a picnic and at the end of it, they just sort of they basically leave all the all the crap there. And I thought it was such a great little great detail and it was such and I think that's probably how people used to be. We don't care enough about lady bugs. We were going from lady for Johnson to litterbugs.
Speaker 3: Bug. I love a ladybug. I in Chaa.
Speaker 4: My mother loved lady bugs.
Speaker 3: It's the only bug people are okay with landing on them. Oh.
Speaker 4: Completely. You would have to have a hardest stone. If you squash a ladybug, you are a serial killer state of mind?
Speaker 3: Could you possibly? I have to kill that, you know.
Speaker 4: And my mother's Colombian and she would I a lady bug, She would if a ladies. She would be so excited to see a ladybug when we were kids. And they are just adorable color and the color.
Speaker 3: And you can buy them by the bag. Have you ever seen them in the bag?
Speaker 4: What are you serious?
Speaker 3: This is true? I remember, I mean maybe it's not true anymore, but I remember as a kid, we would go to the hardware store wherever there would be a gardening center and they would just have essentially what was a mesh bag full. And this is probably the one time where you're like, I don't. Ladybugs are not that enchanting right now, because that's a swarm. But they would just be full of the ladybugs, and then you would take them to your garden, release them, and then they would do their thing.
Speaker 4: Because what was their thing?
Speaker 3: I think that they kind of took care of bad bugs, which feels interesting. Is there a violent element to a ladybug? Am I imagining this? Well?
Speaker 4: I always I like to imagine them sort of under the spell of Busby Berkeley, like getting together and doing a collaborate dance.
Speaker 3: It's gorgeous dancing through the air.
Speaker 4: Yes, But you know the thing about ladybugs is I also love lightning bugs. And I wonder if a ladybug, and they're all ladies, met a male lightning bug and they had sex, would they produce a ladybug that lit up? There were essentially a little gem Oh god go, but I would lose my mind if there was a down out of those Yes, if there was a ladybug that lit up, I mean that would be crazy.
Speaker 3: How have we not crossbred those creatures?
Speaker 4: We have to cross breed them right now? It feels very midsummer night's dream. It feels, it's I love it.
Speaker 3: Just swarming trees. Yes, can you cross breed a bug? Now that's my big question. You know.
Speaker 4: I always thought, and this is so crazy, for the long, for an embarrassingly long time in life, I thought that all cats were female and all dogs are male. Oh sure, that's a common now, why is it, And that they would mate and then if they had like two daughters and a son, it would be two cats and a dog would come out.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's how it should be.
Speaker 4: It should be.
Speaker 3: Certainly that makes more logical sense than whatever's happening right now. But yeah, I think I guess we're conditioned as children, and I have to imagine at this point in history we're not. You know, we've moved beyond this with gender, But as a child, I feel like dogs were such a masculine thing. Cats were the feminine, so they were the women, and we all just believed that they were boys and girls.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think so, And I don't mind that. I mean, look, I don't know that I want a non binary pet. I'm sorry. I don't want to. I don't want to get people upset about that. You know, the other thing I used to think of it in weird terms of gender. Is a table setting. I used to think of like a knife as like a handsome man and a spoon, which was, I guess is next to the knife usually, and the spoon was like like like a lovely sort of woman, and they were they were a husband and wife. And the fork on the other side it was like a vixen trying to take the knife away. And so I would cut the meat sometimes before I even understood how sex worked at all, and when I cut the meat, I'd have the knife go through.
Speaker 3: The fork is ruining sex for every listener right now.
Speaker 4: But I would think of the of the fork as being like Joan Commins, like this vixen who was trying to take the knife away. But it's really like the fork is Glenn Close, the knife is Michael Douglas, and the spoon is an archer. It's very fatal attraction.
Speaker 3: It is the fork has that hair that's the short kind of it's sexy, dangerous.
Speaker 4: She's wicked and she's sexy and you just can't get enough of her. And then the spoon is curvy and and yes, and everyone saying how could you do that to the spoon? Are you are you nuts knife to do that to you look at that beautiful spoon. But the fact is that that fork is just so.
Speaker 3: It's a freak. Yes, she's an absolute ferry.
Speaker 4: She hasn't the way she's just like, oh were there times just gets into that meat.
Speaker 3: Now. I do believe there's a some sort of nursery rhyme or something about the fork running away with the spoon.
Speaker 4: Oh, now there are they. They were like set up and they were high school. Yeah, they're high school sweethearts. Yes, she's wearing like his letter sweater and like, yeah.
Speaker 3: I think I mean the math of that all adds up perfectly. That's absolutely knife man spoon the wife at home. Fork is gonna wreck everything.
Speaker 4: The fork is gonna wreck everything. But be careful because the dessert fork is right behind you, honey. So you take that knife away from that spoon. That dessert fork is right like is pulling up the rear, and she is kind of like she's gonna take that knife away next, you know what.
Speaker 3: Speaking of this, I always like in elementary middle school, I always looked at my thumb as David Swimmer. I always thought that looks like David Swimmer.
Speaker 4: That's so interesting.
Speaker 3: Kind of has that hair style.
Speaker 4: I feel like your thumb.
Speaker 3: My thumb and my big toe. I feel like it's just like especially when it's cut, it has you know, he would like push his hair up in the front.
Speaker 4: Oh, that's so interesting because every.
Speaker 3: Male member of Friends had the same hairstyle and then they looked like a thumb. Yeah, or maybe every finger. Actually, now that I think about it.
Speaker 4: Well, I can see it's too bad we don't have six fingers on a hand, because then you could do the whole cast. But well, I guess some people anyway with.
Speaker 3: Two characters that are probably similar enough that you could label one finger them.
Speaker 4: I can see a thumb as David Schwimmer. I think of all the three guys on Friends, he's the thumb is the most David Swimmery.
Speaker 3: Right, And then I feel like the ring finger is probably Jennifer Aiston. Pinky as Courtney Cox. Middle is uh Lisa Kutro. I think she's probably maybe the tallest member of the cast.
Speaker 4: I think she probably is. God, she's so great that come back with so.
Speaker 3: Oh, I mean, what a phenomenal program.
Speaker 4: It's just and and the fact that the two seas, since we're like a decade apart, and.
Speaker 3: It's still good. It's so it is so good.
Speaker 4: It is so good.
Speaker 3: I mean easily top five television shows for me. Enna should be for everyone, anyone with any sense at all. Oh my god, I can watch that over and over and over. Is she in anything currently? We've got to get her back on TV.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got to get her back on TV or on stage or something just.
Speaker 3: Makes me cackle. Yeah, I think it's time to play a game. Oh my towel, Yeah, that'll obviously be hanging somewhere in my house. And you know what, I have a tip that I learned recently. I recently switched to all white towels and all white sheets. I mean, because this is what hotels do. You can bleach them. They never get dirty.
Speaker 4: That is absolutely true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's why this is probably what ninety five years old, and it looks like it was amazing.
Speaker 4: And listen anytime I want, anytime you go to the airport to think of this showel because it was once used by Tom Bradley, former mayor.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm already thinking about him. But the towel, I mean, it's I mean, my mind's going all over the place.
Speaker 4: You know, It is interesting. I have heard I cannot verify this, but I have heard that after the nineteen sixty nine oscars, and I really cannot verify this, and I analyst may be able to verify it that this towel was used by both Barbara Streisan and Katherine Hepburn, who tied for the oscar that year for Funny Girl in the line in.
Speaker 3: Winter, Analise is nodding their head aggressively. This is probably the one fact on this podcast. Yeah, so it's a good that. I mean, you know, bring one fact late in the game.
Speaker 4: I think what happened was somebody had hosted Gregory Pack had a party and this hand and they both showed up with their oscars and they both had to you know.
Speaker 3: We're both dripped in mud. They needed a shower, yes, And then there was this one towel, right.
Speaker 4: And Shirley Temple Black had brought her own towel. She was Shirley Temple Black at that point, which, by the way, I love Aley Temple but I want to drink the adult version of Shirley Temple Black.
Speaker 3: That is genius. How is that not a thing already?
Speaker 4: Well? I think it's because if you were to put koalua with ginger ale and grenadine. It would make you throw up and then you need the towel for something else. But like, but there's got to be a way to do a Shirley Temple black. And you could do it if you do grenadine with a coke that's already a Roy Rogers. Talk about gender. When I was a kid, I always wanted to order a Shirley Temple and I thought, but I'm supposed to order a Roy Rogers. And I was like, but I don't want coke with grenadine. I want ginger al with grenadine.
Speaker 3: I feel like a Shirley Temple black. There certainly is a black cherry soda. Yes, that's I mean, it's the it's very simple.
Speaker 4: Black cherry soda with grenadine, which is a little bit is that joke on choke or something because you're adding like more cherry.
Speaker 3: To it, right, But you're kind of asking for it when you ask for Shirley Temple black.
Speaker 4: A Shirley Temple Black, Yeah, I love.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's the beginning of your bar. Yeah, I mean so.
Speaker 4: Many different Shirley Temples.
Speaker 3: Okay, we have to play a game. I need to number but two, one and ten from you eight. Okay, I have to do some light calculating right now, so you can promote, recommend, do whatever you want with the microphone. I'll be right back.
Speaker 4: Okay. I have a podcast. It's called Obituaries. It's just obituaries with an M in front, and it's I talk about the people and things that have died that I think are worth another look. And I don't want to be too pushy about it, so I'm just gonna just sort of leave it there if you want to listen to it, but you don't have to. Seriously, you don't have to.
Speaker 3: Perfect if I go listen to most podcasts, it's a wonderful idea. We're playing a game called gift Master. This is how we play. I'm going to tell you three gifts, the three things you can give away, and then three celebrities. You're gonna tell me which celebrity you would give which gift and why that makes perfect sense?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 3: Okay. The three gifts you'll be giving today are number one a serial dispenser, Number two a stylish handbag, and number three a nonprofit under investigation. So you'll be giving them to Adam Brody, Raven Simone and Errol Morris. How do you feel about that?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, I think the obvious, the nonprofit under investigation, I think you probably would give to Errol Morris. I think it just makes sense because I know that he'll be able. He'll do a terrific, compelling hour and a half long interview, just single shot of someone probably explaining why the nonprofit that they're running is under investigation. Yes, so I think you could get the person responsible. Yeah, yes, and it will look really great.
Speaker 3: It'll look amazing. It'll look amazing, and I think has never been more fascinating.
Speaker 4: Yes, exactly, Yes, No, yeah, and I'll think I'm just looking at this one person's face for an hour and a half.
Speaker 3: But this is really well done, and we needed these answers anyway.
Speaker 4: We need these answers anyway. So the cerial dispenser and the stylish handbag I've got. Adam Brody. Now, was he the one in the OC or the one in The Pianist?
Speaker 3: He says, Oh, interesting, I wish he was in The Pianist. He was in the OC.
Speaker 4: He's in the OC.
Speaker 3: He played you know, the the teen protagonist of the OC.
Speaker 4: You know, he was the guy that is not aggressively good looking. He's like normal good.
Speaker 3: Looking, right, kind of a record store good looking.
Speaker 4: Well, because I remember I once did it a gig which was for Axe body Spray. It was a body spray deodorant, and they kept saying, I swear to you our prototype of the and the person they used as a model I swear to you was Adam Brody because they didn't want to use a guy in commercials that was so perfect looking, right that it would make you feel alienated as a potential consumer. They wanted somebody who was like kind of tussoled and cute, but more in the normal realm, right, as opposed to the la kind of freak category of what lab were you created in? And I feel like the cereal dispenser is the right thing to give him because that would fit. I could see him spraying on some acts and having a bowl of cereal. I don't know what. Probably he's surrounding the acts before he has a cereal and then goes off to school. I want to keep Adam Brody as a teenager because that's how we remember him. But is he like fifty now?
Speaker 3: He just celebrated his seventy fifth. He just had birthday ad him. Yes, No, he's hanging in there. He's ready for his fourth chapter.
Speaker 4: He's ready for his fourth chapter.
Speaker 3: I can really, for whatever reason, I can really easily picture him eating cereal, like the mouthful of cereal standing. Maybe he did that in the OC or something, but I have a distinct visual image of Adam Brody eating cereal, and I.
Speaker 4: Bet he could do it without being gross. I have a colleague's TBS Sunday Morning where I work who says she doesn't like in interviews for the activity to be eating. She just thinks it's gross to watch people eat on camera. As an interviewer, I don't mind it because the person is oftentimes is more easily disarmed because it's not you're just not you know, it's there, there's an activity going on, right, But I feel like Adam Brody could eat cereal in a way that's he could do it in a charming way, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he has the look the figure of someone who has always got a bowl of cereal fun cereal in his hands.
Speaker 4: Right, not too crunchy, because I don't think he has his original teeth.
Speaker 3: He has a total of four fake teeth.
Speaker 4: Yeah at that point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's just try and trying his best.
Speaker 4: But you know the Academy will be so happy to welcome him.
Speaker 3: Back for it that lifetime achievement, right.
Speaker 4: Well maybe the Irving Thalberg if he's I hope he's been actually doing something with all these years in retirement for other people and not just you know, playing golf. And I I'm going to give the handback to Raven Simone for a very very personal reason. So I did something called the twenty four hour Musicals, which is right, and they may do it, and they may do it in la now. In fact, I think they do where this was in New York and I've found it a few times, but this time was many years ago and it was me And basically, you have twenty four hours to put together a short musical. And our musical I was randomly placed with Raven Simone, the great KT Huffman, who won a Tony for the producers. I'm sorry that I can't remember who the fourth person was. And our director was Kathleen Turner. Oh wow, yeah, she's great. And it was really crazy because I just come from a party. I swear to you, one of the most insane parties I'd ever been to, and I'm not like a party go were really but I was invited to a Super Bowl viewing party and I ended up sitting next to Deborah Winger, and then Glenn Close was across from us. And then later that night I suddenly was me eating with Kathleen Turner. I thought, this is like my day of nineteen eighties iconic actresses who never won an Oscar, who all were of multiple nominees, but they and they all are deserving other oscar as at one point, yeah, but anyway, but so it was me, Katiehuffman, Raven Simone, and another very talented person whose name I can't remember, and Kathleen Turner was directing us, and we had twenty four hours to picture together this short musical. But for the first half of the day, Kathleen Turner would say my darling Raven, my darling Raven. And at some point in the middle of the day she just one points something switching. She went, my sweet Simon, my sweet Simon. So she went from my darling Raven to my sweet Simone.
Speaker 3: Do you think she started thinking mentally, Oh, I've said my darling Raven too many times.
Speaker 4: Well, I think that she suddenly got confused and she went, wait, is her first name Raven or her first name is Simone? And she just switched in like it's like the train jumped the tracks, and then she just stayed on that track that whole time, and Raven Simon never corrected her. But I also and I'm Raven Simone is so talented, but I felt like Raven Simon didn't like me because at one point, Raven Simone was bonding with Katy Huffman and this other actress who I can't remember who I really liked a lot, who looked like Tig Nataro, and I wonder if it was Tisha Witt. Oh my god, was that Alicia Whitt? Are you looking it up right now, Alicia Witt? It was Alicia Witt. I really liked her, but at one point, like I felt left out. The other three were first bonding off a line, and I suddenly started getting a complex And mind you, was only twenty four hours, but it felt like a lifetime, and they called twenty four hours, but for the actors it's really only twelve hours. It was a gom Yeah, anyway, we go to sleep, But twenty four hours from the assignment to the actual performance, and so Raven was bonding with Alisha Whitt and with Katie Huffman, and I wanted to sort of get in on the action. So I said to Raven Simone, Wow, you should do more theater. And she turned around to me and she said, I'm a TV girl, and I went, no, no, I think you should continue doing TV. And but I think you curdl suit the theater too, and I just I felt so deflated. And she turned back around and it was so big, a little talk, a little back, a little doctor. I'll be beeping there anyway. They were having their own thing. So this is all to say that I'm gonna give the most the nicest gift, the prized handbag, to Raven Simone, so that she'll like me, so that she will be my darling Raven and sweet Simone.
Speaker 3: One final desperate attempt for her friendship. Yes, yes, it's not to it's you know, it's never too late. It's never too late to send a stylish handbag to Raven Simone. She's probably sitting at home waiting for the knock at the door for that handbag.
Speaker 4: Yes, because all these years I thought I was not being passive aggressive. I wasn't going, you should probably stick with theater. I wasn't saying that I was going, you should do Theatre's a compliment because we've never seen her on stage, and I think she was really good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would never have been. She was probably in a tender area of her career.
Speaker 4: I think so. But I listen. I want to be really clear, she's listening right now. I want her on all platforms.
Speaker 3: Raven reach out. You gotta get on the podcast the line, but it's always open.
Speaker 4: It's always open. I'm three hours ahead, and so don't call like after nine pm soon.
Speaker 3: Wow, Well, I can't wait for you to rekindle this rocky relationship with Raven. Click her out to dinner. Yeah, they bring out the dessert. She sticks her fork in and then realizes it's a handbag. So sweet.
Speaker 4: I hope so, And I hope she doesn't go handbag. I've got pockets.
Speaker 3: Beautifully played, I mean so gorgeously played. I couldn't say more about it. And Raven again reach out. Okay, this is the final segment of the podcast. It's called I said no emails people write in to I said no gifts at gmail dot com. People have got so many questions they need answers. So I do my part. I answer the questions. I try, and I succeed every time. Would you help me? Of fourth mister Weineger and Guest. Christmas is coming and every year my mother and my siblings and I get into a tiff about a gift for my mom's boyfriend. This is a man my mom has been dating for nine years, but they have only lived together the last two. We don't love spending time with him. He's prone to complaining and doesn't seem to take a large interest in us. My siblings and I either. We all tolerate him, though, and feel like this should be enough. My mom thinks we need to buy a Christmas gift every year to show how much we like him, and we just don't want to do We need to Bridger, and if so, what should we get this man? The last time we got him a gift, he complained that it was the wrong one, even though we bought him what he asked for parentheses a level, So I guess they bought him a level. Thank you, Jenna. Okay, so, Jenna, Mom's boyfriend has been in the picture for a long time. The kids all hate him. Doesn't even seem like the mom likes him that much. And now they've tried one pathetic attempt to get him a gift, which is a level that feels like if you opened a box and found a level that would feel like a mistake. Something went wrong. So what do Jenna and the kids get? Uh? I don't know what his name is, Pete Pete, Yeah, stepped into their lives, and God, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I suddenly want to see pictures of him. No, I don't. I'm just imagining, like, why is some mother keeping him around? If he's so surly?
Speaker 3: Right, all of the kids are against im, and I assume there are probably ten to twelve children, A lot of kids. Yeah, And for if you've got twelve kids saying this guy's a jerk, you got to start thinking about things.
Speaker 4: What can they get him? He didn't like the level. I love a level. That's one of those those tools. As a kid, it's probably that was probably the one tool I loved in my father's tool chest because it's fontal.
Speaker 3: It's delightful, it's a toubble say it.
Speaker 4: Is a toy, it's fantastic.
Speaker 3: And when it's telling you level, it means you've you're.
Speaker 4: A success exactly.
Speaker 3: And he also said neon Green, which is so much fun.
Speaker 4: I love a level. I love a level.
Speaker 3: How had this man not just gone out and bought himself a level. A level is between ten and thirty dollars. That's certainly something Pete could have just bought.
Speaker 4: I wonder if they you know what, I think that probably they should have had the level engraved. I think if you're just handed a level without an inscription, it doesn't really mean anything. But I think they should have said on the level, we love you.
Speaker 3: Right and tears in his eyes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think you look at it. It is sort of like if someone gives me a book, and I really do immediately go to the title pages. I want to see what they wrote. So somebody gave me. If my girlfriend's kids gave me a level without an inscription, I think the first thing I'd say is how did I end up with a girlfriend? And who were these people giving me.
Speaker 3: A very different path you've gone down.
Speaker 4: Yes, there's been a huge misunderstanding here. I'm so sorry if I misled anyone here.
Speaker 3: This is why the kids don't while you around, because you don't want to be with them, all.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, But if I were in that situation, I would the level. I would want something written on it. I would want it.
Speaker 3: Engraved, right, And I mean, let's say you forget it at the gym, then the gym can call you MO. You left your level here?
Speaker 4: Oh wait, why would you bring a level to a.
Speaker 3: Taking your level everywhere?
Speaker 4: Oh I've got a half. Well, so it's probably a good idea because if you're doing a bench press and sure that always used to scare me. And trust me, there were not a lot of plates on the bar, but the idea of one sliding off and then the whole thing comes. Yeah. The only thing worse was I am having a memory. There was a place in New York in the twenties, not in the nineteen twenties, but in the streets in the twenties that was so cheap for personal trainers, something outrageous. It was must have been a scam going on. So I went as long as I could before the whole thing shut down. And I think that I'm pretty sure that the trainer they gave me was an x con and this guy I had the bench the bar bell, I was doing a bench press, and it was as it was going down, my arms started trembling, and there was that moment of fear of like, oh my god, not.
Speaker 3: My windpipe is about to be crushed exactly, You're.
Speaker 4: Not gonna be decapitated, but like it's gonna I'm gonna die. And I remember the guy from above. I can still remember his face. He was like a Samuel L. Jackson character. But he was like going calling me a pussy, like over and over again, helping anything. And I remember I kind of wanted to start laughing like he was. I mean, it's like this is because it was so outrageous that he was like you because you can't lift that, you are a pussy. And he just kept calling me a pussy, like and my arms, my arm's returning to spaghetti, you know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 3: They start wobbling or horrifying feeling.
Speaker 4: It's a horrifying feeling.
Speaker 3: Your body's about to give up on yes completely.
Speaker 4: And the last thing I'm gonna hear on this earth is this trainer with a single gold tooth calling me a pussy.
Speaker 3: Not a bad way to go, I mean, they are worse ways to die.
Speaker 4: But anyway, I'd say inscribe the level.
Speaker 3: Perfect, absolutely perfect. Just get him another level. You can always use two levels. Ones in the glove box, ones at home.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Oh yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: Ones in your carry on. Yeah, it's like phone chargers.
Speaker 4: Oh I think it's yes, absolutely, you're at home level.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you should have level everywhere, handbag, what have you. That's a perfect gift. I mean, I don't see any problem with that. And I'm sure Pete will this is gonna mend things for the family. He's gonna probably end up adopting all twelve kids, and what a lovely ending to this group.
Speaker 4: I think it will be a Yes, I think it could be a successful blended family.
Speaker 3: But only if the level is engraved.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think so. And look, I yes, I think it's just you just get a little plate that you screw on the top of the level, which of course will script.
Speaker 3: Now it doesn't work. It's simply not the tool it's supposed to be.
Speaker 4: We just have to find a place to put the name plate, the inscription so that the level actually can do its job. Then Pete is gonna go ape shit.
Speaker 3: Okay, well we answered that perfectly. I mean Jenna can't complain and if she does. She's gonna have to find a new podcast to listen to. I mean, there are at least four other ones out there.
Speaker 4: Oh exactly, sure, Raven Simone has one.
Speaker 3: Raven's probably starting a revenge podcast right now.
Speaker 4: That is when are we going to start hearing about revenge podcast?
Speaker 3: Maybe that's our next adventure. I would love to have a revenge podcast.
Speaker 4: There's so many podcasts. There has to be room for revenge podcast. Yes, and then I can do a morning show segment. They're the hottest new thing and they have people up in arms. Revenge podcasts.
Speaker 3: Viewtiful. Oh mo. I mean, I've got this towel that is just I mean, it's historic, it's an artifact and now it's in my home.
Speaker 4: It really is. And I just all I ask is that if anyone associated with the Beverly Wilshare is listening to this podcast.
Speaker 3: Well they're probably taking inventory right now and.
Speaker 4: The right right. Yeah. I wonder what the statute of limitations on this is. Could you maybe wait to release this podcast in three years.
Speaker 3: A decade from now, this is going to hit the airwaves and you'll be fine.
Speaker 4: You'll be fine. I'll be in the clear. I'll be in the clear.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you for this, thank you for coming.
Speaker 4: This was so much fun.
Speaker 3: And again, Raven reach out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Raven reach out. Can I take the bag back with me?
Speaker 3: You can absolutely take the bag and take whatever you want.
Speaker 4: Can I take the tissue?
Speaker 3: Do? Listener, the podcast is screeching to a halt. You didn't expect this, you aren't planning on it. Now you're freaking out. But that's not my problem. I love you, goodbye, I said no Gifts is an exactly right production. It's produced by our dear friend Analise Neilson, and it's beautifully mixed by Ben Holliday. And we couldn't do it without our guest booker, Patrick Kottner. The theme song, of course, could only come from miracle worker Amy Man. You must follow the show on Instagram. At I said no gifts. I don't want to hear any excuses. That's where you get to see pictures of all these gorgeous gifts I'm getting. And don't you want to see pictures of the gifts?
Speaker 1: Lie? Did you hear thought? I made myself perfectly clear, But you're I guess to my home.
Speaker 2: You gotta come to me empty And.
Speaker 1: I said no guess your own presence is presents enough. I already had too much stuff, So how do you dare to surbey me?