Speaker 1: Wind Down with Jane Kramer and I'm Heart Radio Podcast.
Speaker 2: This week's listener episode, We've got Stephanie Davies on, so excited to chat with her, so let's get her on.
Speaker 1: Hey Stephanie, I'm Jana.
Speaker 3: Hi, Nice to meet you.
Speaker 2: Nice to Oh so this is our first time meeting. We haven't met before. Nope, okay, fabulous, Because sometimes I have this thing where because there's certain people that I remember face wise, I forget names or whatever. But then it's I always feel bad and I'm like, oh, I met you at a show these many years ago, and I'm like, oh, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 1: It's like I hate that.
Speaker 2: So most of the time I'm always I always say nice to see you, because that chance it kind of just covers the basis of like it is nice to see you, and it's nice to see you, like Yabby again, like we.
Speaker 3: Did talk about. I messaged you the other week about Roman and the tube at the at the Lake because my daughter was going to go on the toe too, and I was like, I'm so nervous. And then I saw that and I was like, I'm just gonna ask.
Speaker 2: Her, yeah, and then yeah, we dm that's right, Okay, there we go. So we have chatted before, So what was the verdict? Did you end up taking your son or daughter on the tube?
Speaker 3: She actually didn't end up going. It was just like it's just so chaotic that we actually didn't even have the time to go. But I think she might try this weekend, but we'll see.
Speaker 2: That's so exciting. So you live in Toronto, is that right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Live in Toronto. You've got three kids?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Three kids? So I have an almost three year old daughter and then I have ten month old twins, boy and girl.
Speaker 1: Was that a natural?
Speaker 3: It was natural? It was shocking. Although I have a lot of twins on both sides of my family, so it really shouldn't have been a shock, but it was. It was a lot of emotions.
Speaker 2: That Yeah, I mean, gosh, it's I can't I can't imagine it. It's like I've obviously known people that I've had twins, but it just seems I mean, one to two for me was the hardest transition. So I can't imagine like one to three like right in a job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was crazy. It is my daughter though, she has been amazing with them, like there hasn't even been like she hasn't even ever been like I don't like them, I don't like this, they're bothering me. She has been obsessed with them since day one, and they have been obsessed with her, so that it's almost easier when I have all three kids home with me because they get to they play together now. But yeah, it's it's been, it's been amazing. It's I mean, life is obviously so chaotic, but it's like the best thing and the hardest thing in the world as sure.
Speaker 1: So we'll just go right into it.
Speaker 2: What do you What is something that you're like, I need to know this, even though again I am not the best person to give all advice, David, let's just have a little mom girl chat.
Speaker 3: Let's do it, Okay, deal, So I just I have some questions here. So what what's the best piece of advice you've ever received about raising daughters?
Speaker 2: I'm a goodness, that is that's a really really good question. And I think it's like, there's there's a few things, right, So one of the things that I've heard that really stood out to me was that you have to let them.
Speaker 1: Okay, how do I say this?
Speaker 2: We all have our own like little girl baggage trauma right from our childhood, whether it was good, bad, ugly for me personally, I'm always trying to be like, Okay, well I didn't have this, so let me give her this or let me you know, this is how I wanted to be talked to, so let me try to do it this way. And I think what I've learned with raising my daughter is that, you know, she's she's really kind of teaching me a lot of things too that I didn't I didn't really know. And then then also like I didn't have that example, I guess growing up too. So a lot of times, you know, it's it's letting her almost now there's this I don't mean it like this like rule the shit, but I want her to come to me and tell me things like there was one time when I got upset with her and she's like, well, you never taught me that, and I'm like, you're absolutely right, I did not teach you that. And so I think it's letting her feel her emotions without being like, oh, you're being too sensitive or you're being this. Like she's she's about to be eleven, so she's coming into more hormonal changes. So it's more just like letting her be, letting her be silly, letting her be fun. You know, I saw something that said when kids are overly not overly, but like when kids are super silly and wild and free, and you know they they act silly, it's because they feel comfortable and they feel safe. So it's just like pouring that into them. And you know, she's just really her own person and not putting myself onto her. So it's like, yeah, did I want her to be a figure skater one hundred percent, but I'm like, she's not. She doesn't want to be, and she doesn't have like the balance of a skater, and not putting my own stuff on her because I want to and her, you know, her course to look like this or yeah, I mean really just like letting her like be her own little individual instead of trying to heal my little girl from when I was a little kid.
Speaker 1: Does that make sense? I know that's like a.
Speaker 2: Very long n example, but like so many times I was like, I'm I was started to realize that I was trying to parent her how I wanted to be parent and I'm like, listen, she's a totally different little girl than I was so let me pour into her.
Speaker 1: You know, what does she need? Ask her?
Speaker 2: I'm like, what do you need right now? Like do you just need to be in your room and be mad because your brother's annoying you? Like that's cool, you know if like you need that moment, you have a choice. You can stay in there, and you can have a choice to not be in your room, Like it's up to you too, and not like telling her every time what she has to do. And I think that's like it's all aging up to like now, I think she's at that age where it's having those like you have these are choices. You have a choice to do this, and you have a choice to do that. And yeah, it's up to you now too.
Speaker 3: Yeah for sure, I like that one. Yeah. Another thing about raising daughters is there are there any intentional things you do to help your daughter feel heard, confident and safe as she grows up.
Speaker 2: So we've had that's a great question. We've had this thing on her wall since she was a little girl, and it says I'm confident, i am brave, i am beautiful, I'm like all all the affirmations right, because again, what I just said about not doing like what I needed as a kid. This is I'm literally talking out of two sides of my mouth because at the same time, like I didn't have those positive reinforcements as a kid, Like I'm sure my parents felt all those things, but like I grew up to believe that like oh I wasn't smart, I wasn't like good enough, or I wasn't this, X, Y, and Z. So what I can do, you know, for her to like instill that, because once she gets out of this house, and even before she leaves this house going to school, she's going to start hearing negative things from someone. Like the other last year she said she wasn't smiling a bunch of pictures and I said, baby, why aren't you smiling? And She's like someone told me that I had buck teeth or that I look like a horse. And I'm like, oh my god, I'm like, okay, first and foremost, I'm like, you have beautiful teeth. But that's like she's going to hear negative things from everybody else outside in like outside this house. So I'm like, if we can pour the positive belief, so is that she believes it so that she can go okay, well like almost like laugh it off. And not believe when someone else tells her something mean like and really just like every so every night we say a prayer and we look up at her things and I say, Jolie Ray, who are you?
Speaker 1: What are you? And she's like, I'm brave, I'm confident, I'm smart.
Speaker 2: But what I've started to do is I've looked at her and I said, and do you really like you believe that? You know, like do you feel that in your core? And she's like, yeah, mommy, I do. And again age appropriate whise stuff. Now that she's getting older, that's when I'm like, hey, like, is there anything you want to talk about that you know, did something frustrate you today or do you feel you know, do you feel unsafe with something? Or do you do you just want to like, I will always want to open up a conversation for how they feel and emotions, because I think that's so important so that they can one day, hopefully when she's thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, she can come to me and go, I feel this yeah, instead of holding it in, you know, Like that's how like when in my adolescence, I was like I never I was too afraid to say how I actually felt because I felt stupid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do that. So I was really really good at it. When my daughter turned one, and every morning we would get ready and I would do the same thing. She would say, I am and she, for an almost three year old, she talks. Her language skills are amazing. And my husband always says it's because I talk so much. I just like always just talk to her, and I honestly forget that she's just three years old because I love just having the conversation with her. But everyone morning when we get ready, I'll be like, I am, and she'll go, I am brave, I am beautiful, I am smart, I am kind. We just kind of lost it a little bit, obviously from having the twins. So like I like even before dead last night, I was like, let's do this, Like, but it's I I just want yeah, like you said, like, I just want them to to know that like they're they're just perfect and they're beautiful and they're smart, and yeah, they're going to hear so much stuff from the outside world that in here it's just like you can do no wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, listen, I lose my case sometimes and sometimes you know, as moms do, we can be like ah, but hopefully they always come back to the core. And you know, it doesn't have to be every night, but we try to do it every single night. And then another thing too is I don't know your spiritual background, but we pray. You know, I'm always whether I sit there and you know, we say it together. But knowing that she is a place to go to too, like when she gets scared, because I also didn't know that as a kid, I didn't know that I could go talk to somebody else to be like, hey, I'm scared, watch over me. Because she gets really scared, like up in her room at night time, like the night scares her. And so I can only say so much. And that's when I say to her, ask God about it, or pray about it or talk to Yeah, that's idea, you know, because then it's then you're instilling another way of safety for them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good idea. Another question I had moving on to boys, the what values are most important to you when raising your sons and how do you encourage them to grow into kind and respectful people.
Speaker 2: So I owe a lot of credit to my husband with this one because he's really helped me with in this area of being like Jase, you respect women, you open up doors, you are kind to them. You don't hit your sister, you don't scream like that, because sometimes he'll he'll sometimes really angry and he'll scream or they and they just at the age right now they're just kind of fighting a little bit. I think with Summer too, they're just at each other's throats a bit more. But it's really about always knowing like, we don't hit girls, we don't talk to girls like that. I don't care if it's your sister and she's annoying you, you need to figure out how to also control your emotion. So whether that's go in your room, scream, hit your punching bag, do what you need to do because you don't take it out on your sister, no matter how like upset you are. And that goes the same for Jolie too. I'm like that attitude is not okay. He doesn't deserve that either, So it does go both ways. But it really is about, like you know, I think, and Alan Set's a really good example with that, Like you know, he'll come home and he'll bring flowers and he's I think, I really do think the dad leads and Stepdad lead the way in that area with helping them like see the example, because I think for them, seeing the example is what also shapes them. And I think, you know, again, just the other day, you know, Jace opened up the door and when we were and I'm like, oh, buddy, like it was so cute, and but it's because you know, Alan has kind of showed him like, hey, if the girls are right there, you open the door for them. But it's all just about like when he was at a friend's house too, it's you know, yes ma'am and no, sir. And I just think it's important to and still respectful behaviors that way, it'll carry out into school and other people's homes, because I think that's important. And I think when you know, the kids listen again, they're kids, they're gonna like his age too, Like he's about to be eight, so he's definitely getting a little bit more lippy with me. But he also knows too. He's like, come sorry, mommy, like I'm sorry, you know, and it's like because he says such a sweet boy like at his core. But again, I just think he's you know, I think if you just keep showing them by example. That's the best thing for them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love that, and I love showing them like I mean, my son is only ten months old, but even with my oldest daughter, like I love showing them how like like mommy and daddy can laugh together, they can fool around, like we always play together. Like it's just I love showing that kind of things because I want them to grow up being like, oh, this is what you deserve and this is what it's actually like. So it's very important to us for sure. But I'm excited. I never thought having my daughter and I was like, oh, I'm definitely gonna have a girl next, Like I cannot picture myself with boys and then just having like a little son. It's just like I'm so happy with like two girls two boys, perfect, Like it's it's amazing. And like he's only yet many ten months old, so obviously still so little, but I'm excited for him to grow into like the little boy he's gonna be, and he's just so sweet.
Speaker 2: Already because they're the twins are boys.
Speaker 3: The twins are boy girl.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, wow, that's awesome. I was gonna say, because two boys like are they're not made the same. Like Roman is wildly different than Jase was as a kid, so it's like totally different energy. But yes, I mean yeah, boys are they love their mama. Yeah, it's like it's really it's really sweet. And then you know, the girls will the girls will test you in the best ways. Like I love my relationship with my daughter. But I think it's because you know, on my good days, on my bad days, I'm I'm I'm there for and I'm like, all right, Mommy didn't do that perfectly and I'm really sorry. Can I kind of explain to you, like when I have to repeat myself for the fifth time, like I'm going to get upset?
Speaker 3: You know? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so like you gotta you gotta give mom a little grace yeayeah.
Speaker 3: And then just my last question, this is about more like the motherhood and friendships. But did your friendships ever changed when you became mom, especially with the ones that don't have kids, And if so, how did you navigate that?
Speaker 2: It's hard, I mean, friendships in this season of life is really difficult, and I think you know, I was just talking to a girlfriend of mine, ran into them. I took Jolie and my in laws are in town. So we took them downtown Nashville and Jolie came with us and one of my friends that I love her, I rarely see her, and you know, she's game, this big old hug and I'm like, while, like, we just need to hang out more, you know. But it's like, I love spending time with my husband and my kids, and then there's the work and you know, pile all that on top of it with their activities. I mean, even last night, I was supposed to have a Ukra night and it got canceled because you know, we were everyone was just kind of tired. And it's it does whether they have kids or not.
Speaker 1: That's the thing.
Speaker 2: Like, yes, I had some friends that didn't have kids, but now they do, and then the ages are a little bit different.
Speaker 1: I think. I just friendships change as you get older. I really do. And I wish that wasn't the answer.
Speaker 2: And I know that there's a time and a season when I'm going to pour more into it, but right now, I'm just like, when I'm home, I want to be with my my family and my kids and that's okay. And I know my friends are there. They're always going to be like They're always going to be there. I'm always going to be there for them, and the season will come back around when, you know, maybe I won't be as tired past eight o'clock and I'll want to hang out and you know. So it's I just I wouldn't be afraid of the seasons that come with friends, because the real, the true ones are going to stay there. Like I'm still best friends with my high school of friends, you know, and I get envious because I feel like somehow they're able to make it all work and hang out all the time. But it's I look at my friends here and I'm like, we have everyone kind of has different ages or we're farther away, and then they've got you know, maybe they're their husband's always traveling or X Y and Z, and so it's just it's it's just hard. It's just hard, you know. But that's why I'm just pouring into the season of Okay, it's it's my family, it's family time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree with you for sure. It's like the weeks are so Monday to Friday or so go, go go, and you just want to like hold on to the weekends and cherish it with your family. And all that, especially in the summer. It's just so crazy, I know, but yeah, and it's I found that friendships did change. But I also reconnected with old friends that had kids around the same time I did, and it's been amazing. And you just have that you created like a little mom group and it's it's it's been fun like being friends with people I used to be friends with.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, I love that well, Stephanie. I really appreciate you coming on. I'm so just I'm like happy for you. It sounds like you've just got a beautiful little family, and I love Toronto. Maybe you were very close to Michigan and so we went up there, Yeah, like for my fifth grade field trip.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we go to Actually my husband went to school and played hockey in Michigan, so I was we were there a lot, and we're actually going in October to visit too. But yeah, so very.
Speaker 1: Love Yeah, I love that. Well, thank you so much, Stephanie for ting on.
Speaker 2: You're so sweet. I know they so officially meet you. Yes, Okay, alrighte bye girl.
Speaker 3: H