Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Our twoing this Wednesday, Dan and the Dan Edge Dan Patrick Show. Morale is high as we got nominated for Sports Emmy yesterday and we knew the nominations were coming out right as our show ended, and I walked over to the other side and Pauli goes, I got the results. I said, okay, he said, everybody, I'm gonna get your honest reaction. So we had Mario from the back come out with his phone and Paulie went through all of the nominations and he did in reverse order. We found out because our show was listed at the top. That doesn't mean anything. We thought it did. It was alphabetical, but we were like, man, we're at the top. We're gonna win. But Paulie was reading off pardon the interruption, Good Morning Football, MLB tonight, and all of a sudden, The Dan Patrick Show, and it was great because you know, it's nice to be nominated. That's what I always say. You know we're not going to win, but I think being consistent. This is the sixth time we've been nominated for Sports Timmy Scott Van Pelt, who's been nominated I think six times. Maybe this is his seventh. He'll join us from Augusta coming up. But Mario did a wonderful job putting together our tape that you send in and you have people vote on it, and got nominated. So that'll be in May. I think it's on a Tuesday night. Are we going to do the shuttle bus like we did the last time where we all go in? You tell us, okay, how many tickets can I get?
Speaker 3: Well, that's the thing. You got to get in early. But we don't have ninety people here like some other shows.
Speaker 2: We can get everybody in, okay, Because my wife was asking me, like, how do you cut off who gets to go and who does it?
Speaker 3: I don't think we have that problem. I think we're going to be okay with like ten eleven, twelve folks. Okay, well generally that's everybody in the building. Yeah, everybody, okay, But we'll.
Speaker 2: Get like a bus that we go down because we got to come back and then we got to work the next day.
Speaker 4: All right, well I'll work on that. I'll get somebody. You know what, how about we take the Maco van down to the city. Bang it up? Yeah, if we bang it up. They'll fix it. Dents and dings. Someone's getting baged up that night.
Speaker 2: Oh I know that probably Dylan. Yeah, the back room guys are gonna I know they'll get banged up. Yes, tod Or dirves.
Speaker 4: And drinks on the bus.
Speaker 5: Someone comes around with your little pigs and blankets.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, because when we get there they have war derves. Remember the last time we were there, we basically said to the the woman, the waitress, can you just stay here?
Speaker 4: So she came out with many hot.
Speaker 2: Dogs and uh, you know you crab cakes, pigs and a blanket.
Speaker 4: I stood by the kitchen door, but the door open because I was waiting.
Speaker 2: And then I remember we asked another way to could you just stand here? Because I said, you know, there's twelve of us, and so we got them to just stand. They didn't work the room, they just stayed there by us. Yes, Paul Bacon wrap Scouts never made it past our crew.
Speaker 4: That's a one seed.
Speaker 2: Yes, all righty well, congratulations again to all involved and very appreciative that we got nominated. Make sure you go to Danpatrick dot com. Everything is fifty percent off. We're clearing out everything for the spring spring clearance stat of the Day, brought to you by Panini America Official Trading Cards of the Dan Patrick Show. And we will be in Green Bay coming up in a couple of weeks. It's what two weeks from yesterday, two weeks from today?
Speaker 4: That will be there right time. Two weeks from today.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll be at the Bar home Grown Way. We'll be doing our show in front of a live studio audience, and we hope you'll join us at the Bar a couple of weeks away and a couple of blocks away from lambeau Field Seaton. Poll question for hour two is going to be what.
Speaker 6: The Denver Nuggets are nuts or doing the right thing?
Speaker 2: Okay, I'd have to know more information before I signed off on that.
Speaker 4: This is we prefer informationless polls.
Speaker 7: Oh okay, see my best bet, do just make a like skathing, just react with no information whatsoever?
Speaker 4: How could they do this? Are you crazy? How could you do that? Or be like, hey, look I like the move? Okay. My lifeline is Joker.
Speaker 2: Can I ask Joker if he likes this, because if he does, then I'm okay with it. If he doesn't, then I'm not okay with this. Here's something Of the head coaches who have led their teams to title since twenty fifteen, only two are still with their respective franchises, Steve Kerr and Celtics head coach Joe Missoula. Kerr has four titles and Mozilla won it All last season. Beyond Michael Malone, you had Mike Budenholzer in Milwaukee. He was let go summer of twenty twenty three, two years removed from winning it All in twenty twenty one. Frank Vogel, he helped the Lakers win in the bubble that was twenty nineteen twenty twenty. He was let go in twenty twenty two. Nick Nurse he was let go four years after guiding the Raptors to their title. Ty Lu got the Cavaliers to three straight NBA Finals, including the twenty sixteen championship, fired just six games into the twenty eighteen twenty nineteen season. Wow, that's an ominous stat There. You're winning, and that's when the problems start. When you think about it, everybody wants credit. You want you got players who are role players. They want to get paid. They're going to go elsewhere to get you a bigger salary. You're trying to keep everybody happy. Now all of a sudden, there's a bulls eye on you. Now, all of a sudden, the bar is raised so high, and then all of a sudden, it's a what have you done for me lately?
Speaker 4: I don't you think.
Speaker 2: Nick Nurse should have been the head coach of the Raptors until he didn't want to be the head coach of the Raptors.
Speaker 4: They won? Yes, hen, Well that's.
Speaker 7: The thing, Like, you know, winning isn't easy, right, and that I mean that on like multiple different ways, Like getting to the top and winning a ring isn't easy. And then as soon as you do that, everything that follows after isn't easy. It's hard. You know, everybody wants to take credit. Is it the MVP player? Is that the coach is at the management? Is it the owner who's like, yeah, I put all of these people in plays. I'm actually the guy who did it all, and I get no credit for anything.
Speaker 2: Well, look at Jerry Jones with you win, you win, you win. We're winning because of me, not him. I'm gonna fire him. I'll show you that we can win without him. And then all of a sudden, you don't win.
Speaker 7: You win, and all of a sudden, your GM just got hired away from some place else for three times the money, and then your bench players are also getting three times the money you were paying them, and then you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's Marvin.
Speaker 5: So basically what you're saying is we're not going to see another Don Shula again.
Speaker 4: He won a super Bowl in the seventies.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it coach toil me like nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but Mike Tomlin's kept his John he's.
Speaker 2: Uh state organization Harball John Harbaugh, Him and Tomlin very similar.
Speaker 4: They Havevin won in a while.
Speaker 6: State organizations.
Speaker 2: It's but it's hard to win. It really, it's hard to win. And then when you win, that's when the problems start. And it's weird to say that, but that's true, Yes, Pauline.
Speaker 3: I think the great example in the NBA is Eric Spolstra. He's been there. I got him there since two thousand and eight. They've won two finals, they've been to four, they've been a five finals. He gets a position. They're always relevant, they're always competitive, and I'm sure there's been times they've said we could move on from Spolster. But they're always good and they give he gives them a chance to compete.
Speaker 2: I think if Lebron had stayed in Miami, I don't think Eric Spolster keeps that job. I mean, look at the number of coaches Lebron has had in his career. Ten maybe maybe an interim head coach in there as well. You know, you see some of these Now that's a stable franchise, the heat pat Riley and Spolster is a Hall of Fame head coach. But we've seen, you know, these guys get kicked to the curb. Yeah, Doc Rivers kick to the curb. Now they get hired again. But you know, it's hard to hold onto your job in the NBA for more than three years. That's that's the average is just under three years job tenure. Saturday, the Premier League run in is live on NBC in Peacock. It's the London Showdown Arsenal against Brentford. It's the Premier League run in Saturday live on NBC and Peacock. All right, so those are the headlines the Master's Part three contest. Today we'll talk to Scott van Pelt. He'll join us coming up and the home stretch of the NBA. By the way, Lakers and the MAVs in Dallas tonight. The Lakers are favored by four. DraftKings just gave me the over under for Luka Doncic back in Dallas tonight, Paul, I'm going to start with you the over under for Luca points tonight.
Speaker 3: Ot pressure, I'm gonna go thirty one and a half.
Speaker 5: Right, Hut twenty seven and a half. Marvin twenty nine and a half, season twenty eight and a half.
Speaker 2: Thirty and a half day thirty and a half. Does not feel like you want to go over that. He's going to put up forty.
Speaker 4: On him in the first half.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Lebron James over under tonight, Marvin, I'll start with you.
Speaker 4: Twenty four and a half. BLOOPO, give us a chair. You normally go first. Todd, Oh look I did pay off for me, Marvin and the.
Speaker 2: Other right nugget said the Kings Tonight twenty six. The Nuggets are favored by four over under. Joker, I don't know why I'm talking like this.
Speaker 4: Gameshow voice, Yes, seating over under seventeen and a half, Marvin.
Speaker 5: Twenty six and a half, twenty five and a half, Todd twenty nine and a half, thirty one and thirty one and a half thirty one in a wow, what's up of the Bob Ross voice?
Speaker 4: Three quarters? Who's Bob Ron's?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Pretty birdsand brown happy little trees. You're like, how many for Nicoli Jokich?
Speaker 4: How many fruit? What a boss a coal yo kitchen?
Speaker 2: I saw a picture of Bob Rock before he had his afro. It's like I didn't even recognize him. You're like, oh, that's Bob Ross. I don't think I ever watched an episode was that on PBS, Yes, Public Broadcasting.
Speaker 3: A lot of downtime in college watching Bobras.
Speaker 2: I think I'd have to be a pothead foker that I would just sit around and watch something.
Speaker 4: Like that, Hey, Hey, what are you doing.
Speaker 2: I had a roommate in college and he'd waken bake and I'd be like, god, Lee, I don't know how you do it, Stan, And he said, I need to Johnny Way, I can get up in the morning. So that put me back in bed in the morning. A couple of phone calls in here Bill in Texas? Hi, Bill, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 8: A DP Long time, Long Time augusta eighty two eighty. I have a comparison for you, mclovin strikes me as the Alex Smith Pike kind of a system back row guy, kind of keeping to his own, whereas whereas Marv is more Patrick mahomes dynamic game changer, are going to take you to the promised land.
Speaker 2: Wow, Wow, thank you Bill. We're not gonna be smirch McLevin here now we can. But McLevin gave twelve years, twelve years, driving an hour and a half the two hours every single morning and never complained. And he had a great identity on this show, but he wanted to be closer to home with his young daughters, and he got an opportunity. And Marvin was great. Marvin was here, He worked in the back. He helped with the build of this studio. That's how we hired Marvin. He was just running cables and doing whatever needed to be done, working ten twelve hours a day. And I think it was seating because I, oh, my god, how we replace McLevin? And see goes, well, why don't we just put Marvin in and see how he does now. I always had fun with Marvin, and I knew he knew sports. I just didn't think that Marvin was ready for something like that, because it's it's one thing to be funny and you know, answer sports questions behind the scenes. Now all of a sudden you got a camera on you. Now all of a sudden, you're replacing McLevin. And you've done an unbelievable job with that. So that's why sometimes that person who understood the show was the right person for the show. But McLevin, he's always have a soft spot.
Speaker 4: In my heart for all the great things that he did.
Speaker 5: Yes, Martin, can you re say that at the Emmys when we win Love, No, we don't have time for that.
Speaker 4: Who's our Who's going to be our speaker? If we win?
Speaker 2: All of us Okay, we've rehearsed this every single year that we get nominated. I say, and the winner is the Dan Patrick Show. And then we all go up and then all say, Hey, everybody wants to have a chance to say something, but we know we can't because you know, we don't have the time. So everybody is going to speak at the same time. And then I'll go one, two, three, I just want to say, and my wife couldn't have done it about Marvin. Marvin's event and screw mclove and then that'll be it. And then we take the hardware, and then we get the shorties, and then we go get some beers and then we have some fack to Yeah, that's what we do. The makeout MAKEO van better to get MAKEO lawyer. Yeah yeah, uh oh, twelve guys in a van headed back to the home office. Yeah, I'll sleep, I'll sleep here that night. But yeah, that'll be exciting. You be nice, get dressed up. Although I'm terrible when I go to those shows. Though I can't sit in my chair. I end up walking around the building.
Speaker 7: Like literally the building, not just the floor that the event is Onners, we spent more time in the elevator, going up and down to a restaurant that was downstairs during the ceremony.
Speaker 4: Then yeah, like what what event? We're forty six.
Speaker 6: In Okay, let's go downstairs and get some drinks.
Speaker 2: And then I walk into a restaurant, patch say, Jack's there with his wife, and then I sit down and then he starts eating food off my plate and we're talking about this sports emmy, and you know, I'm just.
Speaker 4: Here to get my haircut. Yeah, he came into New York. You live in North Carolina. No, no, just come up here for he lives in Maryland. Oh, Maryland, Yes, and he goes, I said, what are you doing here?
Speaker 2: He goes, Oh, I came in to get my haircut. Like, go okay, all right, baller, yes.
Speaker 4: Time do you go up to Pat sajams Ah?
Speaker 9: You're the real fortune?
Speaker 10: You think that joke's been used on him?
Speaker 6: He said, what are you a pirate?
Speaker 5: Are two rsana?
Speaker 4: How long you've been sitting on that one for a little while? Wait to get that in? Yeah? Yeah. By the way, is this the fifth award that's gonna be announced? The thirty ninth award?
Speaker 11: That's the other thing too.
Speaker 4: The hole is it early?
Speaker 2: We find out you see in the program that'll tell you where you're you know you fit in, so you can plan accordingly. I'd rather just get it out of the way right right away and just say best you know, Daily studio show is pardon the interruption, God damn it, and then we leave.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's a no lose situation. If you win, you can kind of hang out there with your with your.
Speaker 5: No it's a lose situation, yeah no, but like if you win and you get to enjoy the rest of the night knowing you've already won and you're holding up your trophy.
Speaker 10: If you lose, then you get to leave early if they're announcing it early. So it's best to be one of the first ones.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know what I think is unfair about it. So like the v is in. Yeah, everybody, they already know who won.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you could just announce the winners and invite those people to a ceremony. You're gonna have to do this whole, this whole thing. No, No, I don't know. Five percent of the people win and the other ninety five losers get to go walk around and watch those five percenters be happy.
Speaker 4: No, I want the drama.
Speaker 2: I want the pain I do, and the winner is pardon the interruption.
Speaker 4: God, that hurts.
Speaker 6: That's gonna be bs. You're saying it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, MLB Central what No, No, let's don't despair. Let's just start it right now. Let's do nothing but disparage. No, two months.
Speaker 2: This will be on our tape next year, everybody and everything. Let me take a break. Scott van Pelt, who I don't think is one is sportsman. I think he's zero for six. He'll join us from I don't think I should lead with that? Should I pull the band aid? Okay, all right, we'll take a break back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 11: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 4: You could catch us.
Speaker 12: Weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 11: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 12: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 11: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 12: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 4: I mean that says something.
Speaker 11: Right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up.
Speaker 12: As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 11: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, and if you miss any of the live show, just search kobeen on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media, that's Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Scott Van Pelt anchors ESPN's Midnight Sports Center. He's got his own podcast. He does Monday Night Countdown. He's on the road. He'll be calling the Masters par three contest today. That'll be uh noon to four Eastern and then live coverage first and second round of the Masters, a tradition unlike any other. But before we get to that, Scotty, we're both nominated our show. You as a host, we're oh for five, you're oh for eight, So Outstanding Studio Host, oh for eight.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's a lot. That's a lot of times to sit there until the very end. It's a long evening. There's no food, the bitterness builds, and then they say Ernie Johnson or Mike Turrico. And there have been years where Ernie's not nominated and then Mike wins, and then there's years when Mi's not nominated, and then Ernie wins and this year Dan they're both nominated. So we're gonna just do the math and just put that nine in the right hand column.
Speaker 2: Pal Well, when I was nominated for a studio host, Bob Costas was always there.
Speaker 9: That was a tough one. I got nominated against him a couple of times. Early on, I didn't. I just looked at that as sort of being like Abilene Christian against Texas. You know, I was probably getting thirty eight and a half on that board.
Speaker 2: Well, I always viewed cover I was Patrick Ewing in the Jordan era. I just I wasn't going to win. I was proud of myself and I would try to put up a good fight, but I would I knew I was going to lose.
Speaker 9: I just didn't know in how many games. Here's the win for me. I'm out Augusta National. I'm going to have lunch with it that there's a member here that I've become friendly with, and we seem to eat lunch on the day that the nominations come out, and it's become kind of this running joke. He's like, you know, you get the you get the notification, And yesterday I said, you know what, I did, and so I'm going to look at it as a win because I ate a grilled cheese and bacon sandwich and Augusta National on a perfectly sunny day at the Masters. Ernie Johnson didn't do that. Mike Errico mighth have. Actually I believe it's here somewhere, but hey, listen, I mean it's it's listen. We could joke. And of course I know you guys want to win, and you should. I hope you do someday because your show has been awesome for a long time. Of course, you want to hear your name, but you make the cut, you make the cut. It's there's a hell of a lot of people to do what we do, so you do have to give yourself a little grace and say, that's pretty cool. Nice to see your name. And then you go to New York and then you lose.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I say this to the dan Ens and they haven't won before, but I say it. You just want to be relevant, you want to be nominated, you want to stay in the game, that's all. And we're a little show. We have twelve employees, including me, so you're going against big boys here. But that's why I said, you know what, one of these days, one of these days that before I retire, and I don't want to get a posthumous sports Emmy Scott. So you know, if you want to accept it for me, but I I'd rather not get one where they go, oh, we feel sorry for him.
Speaker 9: He had a good run, and then you get a lifetime achievement.
Speaker 4: I don't want that either. I don't want that.
Speaker 9: No lifetime, all right, So okay, got take notes, no lifetime.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're gonna break down Scott's chances, all right, Paulie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're talking to Vegas.
Speaker 9: Scotty.
Speaker 3: You're well deserving this, of course, needless to say. But you're up against Tariko, Kate Scott of CBS, Ernie Johnson, and Scott Hansen. Scott Hansen's The Wild Car.
Speaker 9: New Guy, Little Quad Box here, Witchie Hour.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Fresh Space.
Speaker 3: Scott is entering though the Paul Newman Color Money episode though, where we've overlooked him.
Speaker 9: This is his turn, Paul can I, if I may interjected years ago the COVID year, I believe you had me as a lock because of the work we did on Yes, that was the one year I got real bitter because I'm like, there was Yeah, we created content out of nothing else, no one else was doing television, and we still didn't win. And if that wasn't enough, I just that was the one year I think I got better. I was like, well, the hell with it. There's just it's nothing I could do so color of money. Maybe, I don't know. I don't know, Scott. We were doing our show every day during COVID. Just let your thanks. Yeah you were you nominated?
Speaker 4: Uh, probably so we lost.
Speaker 9: Yeah, did Paul say you were a lock? Because Paul went on your show and I was a lock.
Speaker 10: No.
Speaker 2: I The only time I ever felt angry was when I had a guy who voted and he said, saw your tape, You're going to win this thing. And I go. So I'm there with my wife and god, dang, I I wanted to go Larry Bird where I get up and just put the finger up. I just won, and they get and the winner is and I went to get up. My wife grabs my arm as I get ready to get up, and they go and the winner is Bob Costas. And then I thought, well, I'm almost up. Do I stand and give him it? Because I was kind of caught in between that's the only one where I go, You've got to be kidding me, you know.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean it's you. We occupy a tricky's plate, a tricky space where you kind of what you're saying is you feel like you deserve to win as well?
Speaker 4: Is that true? I did? I did, and I feel like we deserve to win this year?
Speaker 9: Good, I do say it speaking into new existence. I mean there's nights I'm driving home, I'm like, what other idiots out there doing this by themself every night at midnight? Like no one who else is doing this? But then you're like, you know what, you're doing that because these guys have elevated beyond the need to do that. You're you're just some grinder out there, keep your head down keyboarding.
Speaker 4: It's Scott. For fifteen years I was working second shift.
Speaker 9: It's again this I relate to. Okay, I know this, I know this. I'm not saying. I'm not saying my pain's worse than your pain. Dan, We're not doing pain comparison here. Okay, this is interesting, by the way, to just us. No one else bitching about not winning an Emmy.
Speaker 2: You know that. It's weird we're talking to the Sports Emmy nominated Scott Van Pelt, who was no chance of winning. The number of people who have called in to complain about Brian Harmon taking forever to hit his shot. Okay, what are you know? Baseball's had a pitch clock forever and then they finally go, oh, we got a pitchclock.
Speaker 4: Let you use it.
Speaker 2: Golf, you know they can put you on the clock, but you know, do we need a shot clock?
Speaker 9: I think I was part of the TGL launched this year, which for those that didn't see the Tomorrow Golf League Tiger and behind it it's Sofi Center in Palm Beach Gardens indoor sort of just an enormous simulator. Was really I thought it was a cool thing. It was fun. They have a clock, you see it. And the one person that got a violation I believe there was only one, and it was Tiger, Which that's how you know it's real. They're gonna call a violation on him, then it's a real thing. But what you're dealing with is a big giant clock that you can see that's right there, and when it goes off, there's really nothing to do but say, well, that's a penalty. In golf. It's outdoors. Do you have a rules official with each group? It's a bit vague. And Harmon is a good dude who I don't know if you've had him on the show, but he's like, he's a he's a Georgia guy. He's a huge sports fan, and he knows that it takes too long and he doesn't want to take that long. It's just he's kind of got these ticks that he is pre shot that he's working through. But the bottom line is, yeah, golf would benefit greatly if there was sort of a clock that we knew when it started, and when it hits zero, you get a warning and then you get a penalty because the game, the game does take a long time to get moving.
Speaker 2: Is there an innovation on the live tour that you could see the PGA Tour eventually adopting.
Speaker 9: Taking money from the Saudi funt that taking the money, taking the forbidden money. They said, no, you can't take that money. Wait how much? That's the one? But I mean in terms of just sort of like the shorts and the rock and roll and whatever else not in this not necessarily I and that feels hopefully like we're I felt like the roads were gonna we're divergent. Now it feels like they're going to intersect at some point because you just the game benefits when Ram and Deshambeau and Koepka, et cetera. Are playing with all the other guys on the PGA Tour. You know, we see it this week, which is good. But that's that's the one in the innovation is just figure it out and let's let's get back together.
Speaker 2: But they have graphics now, they have too many graphics on the screen.
Speaker 9: It's kind of like PTI, but it a PTI times a billion, right, Like there's the graphic presentation. I get what they're going for. But I'm with you. I think there's there's probably a sweet spot in the middle where it don't need to be that many, but maybe maybe more than when you typically have. I mean, I mean, I've done golf for thirty something years. It's not that long. Whatever it is, So there's only so much you can do with it, right, It's it's gonna take a while. You could show the wind direction, you could show the slope on the green, but I don't know, I don't know what I don't know if there's a first down line right like we got in football. People want shot tracer. If they don't see which direction is, I give up? Where's the where's the arrow on the friggin screen?
Speaker 4: Historically? How good is Scottie Scheffler.
Speaker 9: Already on the short list because of what he's demonstrated here, that that and his ability to stack monster tournaments.
Speaker 4: Does he want to be a superstar? Does he? Or maybe not a superstar? Does he want to be a star?
Speaker 9: No? No, that and that's his that's his secret, sauce Dan, I think is that he has maintained a similar humility to before everyone knew his name, and he keeps focusing on doing the same stuff. He's a he's a simple simple sounds like a knock, it's not. It's a compliment. He's maintained a simple approach. He's really good at what he's really good at, and that's pretty much everything, and he has no desire to go to seek it, you know now. I do think that that the one thing you got to learn to live with. And I feel like you've seen him get a little bit more prickly with the media this year. I think he just doesn't suffer the nonsense well, and you got to just somehow trick yourself the way Tiger did that. I'm going to be asked a lot of the same stuff, a lot of it's probably gonna feel mundane and dumb, and yet I've answered this before, but you kind of have to just sort of do it again like you haven't done it before. That'll be the That'll be the interesting thing, just learning the live with the day to day requests that come of that guy when you're that guy, when he's looking at going this isn't that big a deal, you know, But that's that's that's really his secret sauce. I truly believe that is that he is a superstar without with none of the trappings.
Speaker 2: But okay, you're talking about answering the questions over and over. You got Colin more Cowell who says, you know, it's not our obligation to talk to the media. Rory just echoed the same sentence, like, wait, where's this coming from that these guys don't feel I don't want to say indebted, but in partnership with the media covering their sport.
Speaker 9: I think Colin explained what happened at bay Hill where he came out and was ready for the questions or ready for the media person to be there, and no one was there, and then he went and signed for the folks that were there autographs and there were and then by the time the person got there, he's like, look I was here, and like I'm gone, I'm done. And I think there's a fine line. I thought a lot about this when it came to Rory last year. I said it. I believe you did as well about about Pinehurst and I Greg talked after it completely imploded here at Augusta. You remember it, standing in the trees at night down there, and he answered the questions and he smiled and said the sudd will come up tomorrow, essentially, And I think I wanted to know in that moment what happened. But then there's a human part of me where I think there's a little grace to be extended here like it. You know, if it were the NBA Finals, which you covered so well for so many years, there's that little grace period where they're in the locker room before they're going to come out, and sometimes you gotta wait for Lebron or Michael back in the day for a while. But if there was that cooling off period where we waited and it wasn't just you've got to go right on NBC and tell us you missed a two foot putt and you lost the US hoop And how do you feel like? You know what I'm saying. I feel like if there were a little bit of grace, a little bit of a buffer zone which exists in the other sports, that might be beneficial. Does that make sense at all to you?
Speaker 2: You have Calvin Samson waited an hour before he met with the media, I think after losing the national title.
Speaker 9: Gap and that's based on what happened to his team on Monday night. That feels entirely reasonable to me, because if he were asked to speak walking off the floor, I can't imagine what he could have even uttered. I don't know how you could have gotten a word out after what happened, You know what I'm saying? And I look, you and I are on the same lane here on the other side of the rope where I'm interested in that human emotion. That's why I enjoy the show I get to do. I get to talk to these people in the moments after high achievement, and you get to try to get the feelings out of them. But I'm talking the winners. You know what I mean, don't I don't have the person that just lost in gutting fashion on the show and like, how are you right now?
Speaker 4: You have to have that hushed, hush tone.
Speaker 9: You got to take that very effective. Well, I mean, hey, how's it going? You do what I I mean? But I really do. I've thought a lot about this, particularly with Rory, because I think he is often as good as anyone in this sport and giving you the good stuff, and so how do we find the room to give him a little bit of time to allow them to decompress and if they want to go out and slam the truck and say I got nothing for you, we'll catch up down the road. That I mean, that's where I think it's fair to say, you know, if we gave you the space, it wouldn't it wasn't unreasonable to ask where you were?
Speaker 4: Who's got more scar tissue?
Speaker 2: Rory with what happened at Augusta or Jordan's Speith what happened at the twelfth when he launch to Danny Willett that year.
Speaker 9: It's different because what Speif has here is the knowledge that he gets to come back until he no longer wishes to because he's won. And what Rory has is the weight of knowing that this wreck, this represents the Holy Grail, this represents the canclusion to the Slam. So I think there's I think there's more weight on the shoulders of Rory. I don't think he's I don't think he's got the same Like when you get to twelve in your speed, I don't know how you ever forget what happened in that moment and you could say, well, Rory had the same thing happened on ten. Wasn't as gory, you know what I mean. But that's an interesting one. I just think for speed, like he's he's unencumbered here of thinking, well I got to I got to figure out how to win because I want to come back forever. You know, Greg Norman Dan was going to win here, had many chances, and then the sand in the hourglass runs out and it's it. You don't get to come back anymore. And that's the thing about this place is the people that have had their moments have been so close. It's the kind of place you want to come back to forever. So I think the weight on Rory's shoulders is clearly heavier. I think the damage that was done on twelve only Jordan knows that.
Speaker 4: Great to talk to you. This is the year we celebrate together. Yeah, it's not I. It's go come on, if it's.
Speaker 9: Not me, I wanted I want it to be you. But really, what I mean is I wanted to be no last year. Last year. I mean, you probably have to go just tell me to shut up. But Tracy Wilson and I were talking because we were both in the same boat. I think she was oh for nine or O for eight, were like, I wanted to be you, and then she won and I'm like, oh, that's awesome.
Speaker 4: It's Tracy.
Speaker 9: And then in my brain I'm like, there's no way we're both gonna win, and shit, just diad. So I really wanted to be me.
Speaker 10: Dan, not you.
Speaker 2: Scott Van Pelt, Thank you, Scoonnie Always the Part three contest. It'll be today at noon noon to four Eastern on the mother Ship. We'll take a break back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: I'm going to be on Gilbert Arenas's podcast today. Yeah, awesome, Gil's Arena. I'm going to be on that a little later on today to chop it up with the guys. Alex in Utah. Hi Alex, what's on your mind today? Alex is gone? Robin Ohio, Hi Roby, Dan, thanks.
Speaker 10: For taking my call. Hey. I appreciate all the movies you guys share over the years, and I've watched a lot of them and I want to share one with you if you haven't already heard of it. Okay, Brandy Quaid made a golf movie in the eighties. Have you do you know of It's called Dead Solid Perfect.
Speaker 2: I know of it, but I did not watch it. I might have watched a little bit of it, but I did not watch it. But I'll put that on with Varsity Blues there, Rob, I have to watch that as well. Sean and Daytona Beach. Hi, Sean, what's on your mind?
Speaker 8: Dan?
Speaker 13: Thanks for calling me back long time six foot as of this morning, one eighty five. Congratulations to you and the boys on the sports I mean nomination. And before we get there, thank you for recommending the studio started watching that last night. It is a great, great show.
Speaker 4: Well thank you.
Speaker 13: Oh yeah, I wanted to say, watching on Peacock, thank you for playing the clips of somebody the real and especially the Jerry and West clip. If that is not the best sports talk clip of the year across the board in media, I don't know what is, because that is a clip that shows you go from being a fan to a friend, and that is exactly what you do with your program as well.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Dan, Thank you Sean. That was a tough one to get through, and uh, I can't watch it again. That's as raw as I think it's ever been on this program, and it happened in real time. And that was the thing is I knew something was up because I could see talking together Dan Ets while I was on the air, and then all of a sudden, I look up and I see on ESPN Jerry West has passed away, and I knew what Paul he was trying to do. He was trying to get me to the top of the hour or so during the commercial break, I could kind of gather myself and you know what, we deliver the news when we get the news, and I wasn't waiting, you know, in retrospect, I probably should have, so I could have been a little more professional getting through it, but it hit me, hit me hard. And to actually see him play in person in nineteen seventy one, and then to have him bring out a celebration anniversary of the show cake to me, and to have his home number to be I don't want to say friendly with him.
Speaker 4: And he was my dad's favorite player.
Speaker 2: So as I said on the show, I thought that I my dad died again when I when I saw the news, and uh, he was very generous with his time, and yeah, hit me hard. Can't watch it again, but thank you. Do we have time to play in or out? Paul, Well, I don't think we do, Okay, I can wait till the top of next hour.
Speaker 4: We can do that. Yes, you do, in or out.
Speaker 3: So as of now you're out on this.
Speaker 2: I'm out, but I'll be in coming up in about ten minutes from now. Jalen Milroe has been invited to the NFL Draft.
Speaker 4: I'm out.
Speaker 6: No, sorry, that's practicing all right.
Speaker 2: I'm going to talk about this coming up top of next hour. Because they don't want you to be there in the green room. And then you stay in the green room and Jalen Milroe with most mock drafts, is not in the first round. Now he just ran a four to three something forty and and I'll go back to when he had what was the big game that he had, And then I talked to a scout and said, you're going to get Lamar Jackson comparisons. He had a big game early in the year and then you know, didn't have a great second half of the year. But you know, we ended the previous year and we're like, all right, this guy can be something, and now you're going to invite him. Then I wondered, if you invite him, is he going there for all the things around the draft, but maybe not the draft. So I had somebody say this to me yesterday that he thought maybe Jalen goes there because you can make appearances, you can make some money.
Speaker 4: You don't have to.
Speaker 2: Go to the draft, but you can still There's a lot going on and a lot of you know, places where you can make some cash. But I think there's you know, there's one team that I think is the outlier here. We'll talk about that coming up at the top of next By the way, the NFL Draft, we will be there in green Bay, in the shadows of Lambeau, in the shadows of Lambeau Field, the bar at home Gunway.
Speaker 4: It won't be the Frozen tunder though, let's hope not.
Speaker 10: So.
Speaker 2: We'll be at the bar and the three blocks away from Lambeau. It'll be fun. Frank Caliendo is going to join us coming up our first show there. I think Doug Gottlieb, the Wisconsin Green Bay head coach, is going to stop by as well. He's had an interesting year. Two hours in the books on this Wednesday with the Sports Emmy nominated Dan Patrick Show consisting of Fritzi, Seatan mar Paula, Yours Truly and the back room Guys. Final Hour just ahead