Speaker 1: Welcome to Inside Active, a podcast about active managers that goes beyond sound bites and headlines and look steeper into their processes, challenges and philosophies and security selection. I'm David Cone, I, lead mutual fund on active research at Bloomberg Intelligence. Today my co host is Michael Casper, small cap and sector strategist at Bloomberg Intelligence. Mike, thank you for joining me today as my co host.
Speaker 2: Thanks David.
Speaker 1: So, there was a note published yesterday by Gina and Wendy that I wanted to ask you about. You know, they mentioned stock buybacks have increased during the summer, you know, wild dividends have risen. Why is capital deployment increasing?
Speaker 2: Well, there's two big factors at play. The first is that cash is at or near all time highs if you include financials, if you take out financial in real estate, you actually get a much more muted picture, but still compared to the pre pandemic period. We're looking at S and P five hundred companies flush with cash right now, and they're starting to use that in various ways. Buybacks has been the main way they've been deploying capital.
Speaker 3: Recently.
Speaker 2: In the second quarter, buybacks jump thirty four percent from a year ago for S and P five hundred companies. I think part of that has to do with some of the volatility that there wasn't in stocks during the second quarter. You know, companies prefer to back cheap or buyback stocks when it's cheap, But a lot of that does have to do with the high cash positions and kind of trying to boost their stocks. Second of all, dividends are right about on the pre pandemic norm now in terms of payout, and CAPEX has really been surging. Capex has been one of the main ways that that companies have been deploying capital, and a lot of that, of course is coming from tech and their AI spending, but in general, it all comes back to how big the cash positions are for S and P five hundred companies right now.
Speaker 1: Well, as we talk about capital deployment and dividends more specifically, i'd like to bring on today's guests. Shannon Radke is CEO of Integrity Viking Funds and senior portfolio manager for a number of the firm's mutual funds, including the Integrity Dividend Harvest Fund, which is a ticker of IDIVX. Also joining us is Michael Moriy, chief investment officer Viking Fund Management and co portfolio manager on a number of the firm's funds. Shannon, Mike, thank you so much for joining us today.
Speaker 3: Thank you guys for having us.
Speaker 1: So I'd like to start off hearing more about your backgrounds. So we'll start with you, Shannon. How did you get your start in the investment industry?
Speaker 3: Sure, I guess my.
Speaker 4: First exposure was an economics class in high school where actually each student got to build their own stock portfolio, which I thought was pretty cool. That kind of led me to pursue a finance degree at the University of Northakota, where I fortunately there were more investment classes there economics classes and so on, so I continued to enjoy I guess that field of interest. I also joined a student investment club at und Then, you know, as I was approaching graduation, I decided my preference was to be close to home in mine at North Dakota, which left my options at the time I thought fairly limited. I was looking at potentially working for a bank, bank, trust department, or brokerage firm, and that's when I heard that Bob Wallstead from mine at I had just started up the company that would ultimately become Integrity Mitual Funds, so the timing could not have been better. On that I was able to go back to my hometown and mine not go to work for Bob in the fall of nineteen eighty eight and start pursuing my investment career there. I actually started out in sales, and shortly after we opened our first fund, which was actually at North Dakota Tax Free Fund, we decided to bring in house the shareholder servicing, fund accounting, and fund admin and Bob needed a guy to run that, so I became operations manager at the time we brought that in house. Eventually he promoted me to COO where I worked directly with the various department heads, including the PMS, which I very much enjoyed. Then in nineteen ninety eight, I left the firm to kind of pursue a dream and open my own firm. I was, I guess thirty one years old at the time, so it was pretty big undertaking for me. That's when I got to work on writing the registration statement for Viking Mutual Funds, and that really was a big undertaking, big process when you register a group of mutual funds with the SEC. You know, it's not just the funds that you're registering. You need to create and register an investment advisor. You need to create and register a proper dealer to service underator for the funds. And we also decided to create and register a transfer agent so that we could do the shareholders servicing and fund of coning in house. So that took quite a period of time, you know, between writing the prospectus, the SAI, which both go in the registration statement, the various exhibits, the agreements between the funds and the service providers, heck of a lot of work in a pretty big document that actually ends up getting filed with the SEC. So at Viking we opened our first fund in nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 3: And it was just a tremendous experience for me. I think I've worn.
Speaker 4: Every hat you can imagine in the mutual fund industry. So I was actually seeing shareholder transactions, calculating net asset values for the funds, creating and filing the sem annual reports to shareholders, filing various other reports with the SEC, monitoring for compliance, doing the portfolio management, and they even helped out the wholesalers from time to time. So I think that experience at Viking really helped to make me a.
Speaker 3: Better CEO today because I really.
Speaker 4: Understand the inner workings of the entire mutual fund management company.
Speaker 3: So as we move forward.
Speaker 4: In two thousand and nine, came back together with Bob Wolstead and we merged Integrity and Viking together to form Integrity Viking Funds.
Speaker 3: And that's how we have our name today.
Speaker 4: And then at the time that we came back together, I believe our AUM was sitting around two hundred and fifty million. Today we are between nine hundred million and a billion, so we have grown. We're pretty proud of that growth. As you may know, it's pretty difficult in the day and age for active managers to grow their assets to actually have net inflows.
Speaker 3: Buy and large.
Speaker 4: On average, active managers have had outflows for many years off, not decades, with a lot of money going into index funds and ETFs.
Speaker 3: So pretty pleased with where we're at.
Speaker 4: You know, we often hear people getting pretty surprised when the year we're operating out of North Dakota.
Speaker 3: They're like, what you're where?
Speaker 4: But I always say, why not? We have great people in North Dakota. They have a great work ethic. We have excellent universities. Und where I went in Grand Forks, Minor State University is a great university. It has an excellent finance program. Many of our employees have come from my state, so we're lucky to have that university here. We often take interns from the U. I would say about half of them come employees, so happy to be here working out of mine at We also.
Speaker 3: Have a lot of employee ownership.
Speaker 4: I think that's important for a company to have your employees have skin in the game.
Speaker 1: Nice Mike, How about yourself.
Speaker 5: I was excelled in math even from a young age, you know, and growing up my father was a commodities broker, so I've always found investments intriguing. My first job I had in high school was at a bank, so it was smaller number of stuff, but still, you know, just very intriguing.
Speaker 3: So my mind has always been kind of around numbers.
Speaker 5: When I went to college, you know, I attended my first year, I didn't know if I still wanted to, you know, pursue finance.
Speaker 3: Geology had really intrigued me.
Speaker 5: So my freshman year I took a couple of different classes in each of those respective fields and ultimately decided on finance. And that's at minut State University where I attended college. I know Shannon did mention their finance program. I'd like to give a shout out to Jerry Sti. I think he was a professor that really pushed me over the edge and got me fully committed to finance. Senior year at Minus State University, I did an intern at Integrity Viking Funds and began working when I graduated in twenty ten at Integrity Biking.
Speaker 1: You know, I think we should, you know, kind of really talk about the Integrity Dividend Harvest Fund. I think it's an interesting fund. What is the process or the investment process that you guys go through to manage this fund?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, the.
Speaker 5: First kind of step of the processes is defining the goals of the portfolio. So you know, we have a three tiered goal system where we're trying to maximize the current income as well as maximize the growth of that income to our shareholders, all while minimizing volatility. And we feel this recipe and does an exceptional job providing our shareholders superior risk adjusted returns you know, throughout the full cycle of the market. I think it's something that's kind of gotten lost in this era or decade plus, you know, period where growth has reigned supreme, you know, where the classic value investing you know.
Speaker 3: Still has a place in people's portfolio.
Speaker 5: And on going forward basis, you know, I think it's going to fully you know, solidify itself, you know, as as you know, a core of a portfolio.
Speaker 3: You know, if you look.
Speaker 5: At history, value has a very strong track record of outperforming growth, you know, despite the recent performance of growth. So we feel that value is very important and dividend investing is a true component component of value. So with the defined portfolio goals, you know, we we really have size on maintaining our investment style and our discipline regardless of market conditions. So we feel that removes a lot of emotions from what we do and it's more you know, factual and fundamental driven.
Speaker 3: That would be our process. You know.
Speaker 5: From there, we run the equities through our key portfolio metrics screen which will ultimately define our universe.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: So the metrics that we are looking at in our initial screen are beata the current yield of a company the number of years a company has consecutively increased its dividend and market capitalization.
Speaker 3: So those are our four key.
Speaker 5: Portfolio metrics and those are used to define the dividend universe. And once we have our dividend universe, we put it into a tiering system. You know, so companies that meet all four of the requirements of the metrics that we're looking for would be considered a Tier one company. Tier two company would meet three out of those four metrics, and then a Tier three company would only meet two out of the four metrics.
Speaker 3: And by having a blend of Tier one.
Speaker 5: Two, and three companies from our dividend universe provides us with ample flexibility to meet the goals of the portfolio. Last, once we have our universe defined, we get into security selection, and this is completely driven by how each individual company contributes to the goals of the overall portfolio. Two great examples of how we use our process and how a company can get positioned into the portfolio would be Abby.
Speaker 3: You know, we've owned this company almost sense inception.
Speaker 5: It caught our radar because of its extremely attractive dividend yield, its impressive growth rate of its dividend, which was largely driven by their blockbuster drug heme era, their ability to integrate and expand their pipeline, you know, to offset the loss of exclusivity.
Speaker 3: But when you look.
Speaker 5: At how it fits into our process, it meets, you know, all the different pillars.
Speaker 3: Of our growth.
Speaker 5: It has above average divining neal, above average dividend growth, and low volatility. Is a dreamstock for this portfolio. Another example, so that would be a Tier one company. Another example of a different tier company would be a Broadcome you know where when we first bought the name back in twenty and eighteen, it was only a Tier three company.
Speaker 3: It only had nine years of dividend increases.
Speaker 5: But we looked at you know, the historical dividend increases out of this name, some recent acquisitions they made that solidified and smoothed their cash flows because of more recurring software sales. It really started to fit and it also allowed us to increase our ex closure to the technology sector, which you know, with it being a dividend investor, you know, the technology sector, it's it's difficult to find quality yield. You know, it seems like there's more value traps or extremely low dividend yields because they're focused on growth. So when Broadcom walked into our universe, we certainly took advantage of that and established a decent position because of how it was contributing to the yield of the fond as well as the growth of income. You know, So we're willing to sacrifice taken on a little bit more risk because of the excess you know, contribution it gave to the yield and growth of yield. You know, So when looking at our process and how you know I would rate it, you know, when looking at you know, our process since inception and the performance you know it has delivered absolute superior not only risk adjusted returns, but absolute returns versus our our peers, which in a sense is returning more than our peers while taking on less risk.
Speaker 2: Now you mentioned how you cheer the companies right by dibend yield and so on. Are there any specific metrics you like to look at to assess the sustainability of dividends?
Speaker 5: Yeah, dividend history is probably the number one, you know. So the average company within our portfolio has raised its dividend for twenty four and second years and that gives us, you know, pretty good comfort that you know, we're going to be able to you know, deliver that that growing income stream to our shareholders.
Speaker 3: And we have a.
Speaker 5: Successfully done that since inception. We've grown the dividend every single year, never seen a drop. And that's a commitment that you know, we have on a going for basis is to grow that dividend on a going for basis. You know, other metrics that we're going to look at would be a company's yield relative to its historic yield.
Speaker 3: You know, it's you know, another valuation metric that kind of tells you.
Speaker 5: You, you know, what income you're getting for what I'm paying. Obviously, the payout ratio is going to be a metric that.
Speaker 3: We look at.
Speaker 5: A net debt to EBITA is a very important one because if that number begins to climb, you're going to have to start questioning the you know, ability of the company to continue to pay that dividend and they may have to put their focus elsewhere, which puts a little cloud over the dividend side of things.
Speaker 3: And one can't deny long term, a total return of a stock is very important.
Speaker 5: You know, if you just simply look at yield in particular dividend metrics without looking at how the company is actually returned over a longer term period like ten years, you can find yourself a value trap.
Speaker 2: And do you care about buybacks at all, you know, trying to deliver higher shareholder yield?
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely we do.
Speaker 4: We do place more emphasis on yield, you know, as ours returning capital to shareholders. Because this is a dividend fund, we're paying most attention to the regular dividends. Occasionally there's a special dividend, but really any form of returning capital to shareholders we like to see that, including buybacks. So definitely we're looking at that as well.
Speaker 3: And one thing I would add to that is dividends are.
Speaker 5: Definitely more direct to investors, you know, where share purchases can be overshadowed by you know, executive compensation or share incentives.
Speaker 1: I do you want to ask a follow up question regarding valuations. You mentioned you looked at historic yields, but are there other types of valuation metrics or just you know, a way you look at valuations and underlying securities.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think price to earnings would be the predominant one that we use for a fund like this because of how you know, developed the companies are that we're invested in, and you know, the approach that we take, We're going to look at individual company price to earnings ratio versus its historic range, you know where it is at on the range, as well as peer analysis, sector analysis, and broad market analysis. You know, so by looking at all those different phases, you're able to identify pockets of opportunity not just on the individual stock side of things, but also sector industry side of things.
Speaker 3: You know, with that by gearing more, you.
Speaker 5: Know, money towards attract evaluation, you know, you get the opportunity for a multiple expansion and then vice versa.
Speaker 3: When we begin to see extreme valuation.
Speaker 5: And I say that because you know, I feel selling a company if it's a you know, two to three turns above its historical range or average range, you know, isn't necessarily fit the mantra of long term investing. The extreme would be when you're five, six, seven turns above its historic average. That's where we're going to start to decrease the position. And you know that's largely a function of multiple compression in contraction. Over time, you know, these companies will revert to their mean. And you know, if you're if you're heavily exposed to overvalued companies, you're you're you're adding more risk to your portfolio.
Speaker 2: There's been a few companies recently initiating dividends. Meta comes to mind. Do you care about those stocks at all? Are you willing to go into them as they initiate, or do you have to kind of wait for the consecutive history of dividends.
Speaker 5: So with our tearing system, we do have flexibility in that front. It's pretty rare that we're going to invest in a company with less than five years, you know, as in the case of Broadcom, we waited until they were approaching that ten year mark, and we were highly confident that they were going to excel through that tenure, so we established a position. You know, but when looking at these initiators, it's not very common where a company initiates a dividend and it's it's going to fall into our universe because you know that the yield is going to be so light from the get go. So we want the story to mature and for them to prove up that they're fully committed to the dividend, and that's when they would enter our universe and we would identify and decide whether it's an appropriate stock.
Speaker 3: For our fund.
Speaker 1: Do you consider the macro environment at all when you're looking at companies, Well, the.
Speaker 5: Macro environment, you know, I think is going to impact you know, each sector independently, you know, but we're pretty agnostic about the macro environment, you know, by you know, following our process in committing to high quality companies with wide modes you know, really really drives our long term performance. The macro environment does create pockets of opportunity.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: A couple of great examples would be back in twenty sixteen, you know, when the bond market kind of turned, you know, the bond proxies you know, started to come under pressure, and we were able to get ahead of that, you know, by reducing our exposure to our consumer staples.
Speaker 3: You know, before you know, the.
Speaker 5: Downturn happened, and that was largely a function you know, of the macro It was macro driven as well as extreme valuation within consumer staples. The same thing happened in twenty twenty two, you know, or the macro environment you know, pro push down the technology sector and again created opportunities as the share price fall yields price and we were able to pick up you know, some technology names on the cheap with you know, acceptable dividend yields, you know, for how the you know, the.
Speaker 3: Companies are going to contribute to the portfolio goals.
Speaker 5: And the most recent one was just late last year, we took our utility exposure you know, from eight percent to close to fifteen percent just because of the backdrop the attract evaluation, the you know, acceleration in capex which will lead to further grow both largely driven by the speculation of load growth driven by data centers.
Speaker 2: So what do you identify as the biggest risk to dividend investing broadly? Is it just kind of higher inflation, higher rates persisting for longer making bonds more attractive, or is it something else?
Speaker 5: I would probably tend to agree that rates, you know, would be you know the biggest you know.
Speaker 4: Threat time to time, I think dividend stocks go out of favor, and you know, this has happened numerous times since we open the fund, you know, and recently with short term interest rates so high and you know where people could go out and get a five five and a half percent CD or you know the same thing in a money market fund that competed pretty pretty hard against you know, dividend stocks and you know fun link ours that might pay three three and a half percent, while individual investors can go and buy a CD at five percent risk free.
Speaker 3: Many of them opted for that. You know.
Speaker 4: Hopefully, now that it's pretty evident the fats can start cutting, we'll be able to compete dividend stocks dived in equity income type mutual funds I think will be much more competitive. Probably already are you know, market rates have already fallen significantly, So I think that will will.
Speaker 3: Help us moving forward.
Speaker 1: You mentioned the tier system when you're looking to purchase securities. Does it work on the the other end, you know, does you know if a stock falls from tier you know, your top tier to a lower tier, does that you know, initiate a sell?
Speaker 3: You know, I think it would. It would.
Speaker 5: There there'd be something going on where the company you know, is following a tier. You know, So we're going to address again that individual company, how it's contributing to the portfolio goals, and if it starts a fall out of favor, we're going to begin to reduce the you know, our exposure to that name. And a prime example would be you know, with such a rapid rise and its share price over the last you know, five six years, it's pushed its yield. When we initially purchased it, it was you know four plus percent dividen yield. Now it's got a little one handle, you know, so we've obviously you know, reduced our our exposure to that name.
Speaker 3: So yes, it certainly.
Speaker 5: Plays a role in our not only whether we're buying or selling, but how how we're positioning it in the portfolio.
Speaker 2: Does it cut automatically force you out of a position or do you reassess if you believe in company fundamentals.
Speaker 5: Ninety five percent of the time, it's going to be it's going to exit the portfolio. You know, there have been cases where you know, there was a corporate restructure you know that caused you know, a reduction in the dividend, you know, via a spin off of a portion of the company's business, which would.
Speaker 3: You know, it's not what we like to see, but.
Speaker 5: You know, it's less of a concern if versus like deteriorating fundamentals, you know, causing stress and ultimately the competator reducer divid and that's not something we're looking for. And there's been so many studies done, you know, on returns by dividend policy, that it just should be a simple rule.
Speaker 3: If they cut, it's gone.
Speaker 5: Because of they are at the bottom of the list for you know, total return over long period of.
Speaker 3: Time, that would be dividend cutters.
Speaker 5: And on the flip side of things, things dividend initiators and razors have drastically outperformed the broader market.
Speaker 3: And that's why we feel this is, you know.
Speaker 5: Such an excellent fund at providing risk adjusted returns.
Speaker 2: And how do you deal with any sector biases that might emerge? I mean, high payers can often be pretty clumpy, right.
Speaker 3: I guess what do you mean by sector biases?
Speaker 2: Like, you know, energy has like a pretty high proportion of high in yielders for example, Right, do you make sure that you have weights pretty close to the benchmark or whatever your benchmark might be, or do you just let those drift? I went along with the yields and so on.
Speaker 4: To answer that one, I would say that given the fact we're managing for low volatility, you know, we're generally going to be overweight.
Speaker 3: Your staples, utilities, healthcare people.
Speaker 4: Are always going to need toothpaste toilet paper, electricity.
Speaker 3: And medicine. So the companies that deliver those.
Speaker 4: Products are going to have a very reliable, stable cash flow and very reliable dividends and typically less volatility of their share price. So I would say those are three sectors that we typically will overweight. As Mike mentioned, we really like the utility sector now and stepping up our waiting coming into this year.
Speaker 3: We believe they provide.
Speaker 4: Obviously a degree a defense given their stable cash flows, but definitely offense as well with a load growth that's going to be occurring over the country in the near years. And then you know, depending on the macro environment, we look for opportunities in other sectors so that we stay fairly diversified across you know, all those sectors in the S and P.
Speaker 5: Yeah, to add to that, you know, it's like I treat those defensive sectors you know, as the core of our portfolio. In the remainder being dynamic, you know, in the opportunities present at any given time is going to you know, you know, I guess dictate our sector allocation. As Shannon mentioned, we're not going to overly stretch our exposure. You know, as you mentioned energy and there is incredible income opportunities at incredible evaluations with an energy but it is very important to not you know, go overboard with with with exposure to an extremely volatile sector.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and with some of the megacaps initial dividends, they might be creeping into your universe. But are are you worried about any concentration risk in the style maybe looking out into the future of five five years or so, you.
Speaker 5: Know, from our portfolio standpoint, you know, I think we've you know, kept away from, you know, any concentration. We've had some strong performers at the top that we've you know, kept in check to make sure we don't get overly concentrated, you know.
Speaker 3: But from a broad based standpoint, is that kind of what you're referring to?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, just in general. I mean, if you look at the S and P for example, right you've got thirty to forty in the top seven stocks right now, and it's getting a little bit concerning for investors broadly. I was just wondering if you were seeing this, Yeah.
Speaker 5: And I think that would probably be a positive, you know, for a dividend investor because and we've already seen this in the past couple of months as breadth has expanded, you know, which is you know, greatly positive for the rest of the market, negative for the meg seven.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: And when when looking at you know, valuations, I think this trend you know, has a lot of potential to continue. And it also gets back to you know, my my comments of you know, diving and investing in how you know, how they are correlated into value and values long term history versus growth. There's a study done back in twenty nineteen and if I adjust the numbers to twenty twenty three, value on a rolling fifteen year basis as outperform growth nearly ninety percent of the time going back to nineteen twenty seven.
Speaker 3: You know, so value is the true leader, you know in the market. It's you know, it's been growth for my lifetime, you know.
Speaker 5: But ultimately, you know, we see value gaining its leadership.
Speaker 2: And uh, there's a lot of cash flush companies out there, especially I mean tech comes to mind right off the top of my head. What do you think is necessary to spur some of these make it caps maybe to return more capital shareholders. There's a lack of opportunities or yeah, or.
Speaker 3: Both opportunities would have to dry out.
Speaker 5: And that I don't see that happening, I guess anytime in the next few years. There's ample opportunities where even the massive piles are sitting.
Speaker 3: On aren't enough for what they could realistically spend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and do you think rate cuts at all will will kind of impact that, maybe urge companies to give more back to shareholders.
Speaker 5: That's difficult, you know, on the growth companies, because you know, in a lower rate environment it does create you know, more attractive returns for growth products, So I would say they'd be more inclined to, you know, continue on towards that, the growth side side of things.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I've actually just got one more question actually for the both of you. What are your favorite investment books. We'll start with you, Shannon.
Speaker 3: No particular one comes to mind. When I have free time, I read more research.
Speaker 1: Okay, fair enough.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just need to read as much research as I can and try and keep up with Mike on on my research.
Speaker 1: How about you, Mike.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know if it'll ever catch me, but no, I would say definitively it's The Automatic Millionaire.
Speaker 3: By David Bach. Received that book when I was a senior.
Speaker 5: Well, graduated high school, read it front to back and really changed my perspective on, you know, on investing and paying yourself first and just being a little bit more responsible, you know, about how you invest. So that's definitively the top of my list, even though it's been I don't know, probably twenty years since.
Speaker 1: I've read it, so it's nice. Well, you know, this was great, Shannon, Mike, thank you so much for joining us today.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Dave, and thank you Mike. Yep.
Speaker 1: Thanks guys and Mike, thank you for being my co host. Thank you until our next episode. This is David Cohne with Inside Active