Speaker 1: Howard, my dad was te vowed by an utility vehicle and isn't surgery. Now what should I do?
Speaker 2: I'm sorry to hear about that. It's really great that you're getting him the medical care and treatment that he needs right now. These are three important things that I think you need to know. Injuries are unexpected and turn lives upside down. I'm Howard Ankin, and I'm here to help if you are a loved one. I have been heard at work for in a car truck to write your accident called three one two six million injury law made personal.
Speaker 1: That's aken law.
Speaker 3: From your favorite source for Chicago White Sox talk, delivering news, interviews, analysis and more. This is the Socks Machine Podcast with your hosts Jim Margolis, James Vegan, and Josh Nelson.
Speaker 1: Hello everyone, this is Josh Nelson Socks Machine as we bring you a new podcast recording this on Thursday night, July nine, twenty twenty six, as the Chicago White Sox are wrapped up their series against the Boston Red Sox and only one word really summarizes what happened at raid Field for the White Sox this week, yikes, as they were swept in three games by the Red Sox. Not only were they swept in three games by the Red Sox, the White Sox only scored two runs in the three games. Here's White Sox manager Will Venables speaking most game after being swept by Boston and the difficulties that his offense had against Boston's very tough left handed starters.
Speaker 4: Yeah, same story today. Just counsolved for some really good left handed pitching. Got to give those guys on the other side credit. Its extremely tough, you know. We're able to neutralize some guys that we've seen, especially versus left handed pitching and play really well, you know. And in Bark and Rich and those guys have done such great top all year, and I just really collectively just can't get it going offensive. I think they can, for sure, sure, I don't know if that was the case this series. I think we just got beat, you know, And I think that we tried to make a bunch of adjustments.
Speaker 2: These guys are working really hard.
Speaker 4: Pre game was solved for some of these dynamic, dynamic pass balls that these lefties have, and we just weren't able to solve for. So I don't want to label this one a slump you know, but certainly a series.
Speaker 2: And we just we weren't able to produce offense to.
Speaker 1: Me, which you know is something we used to doing.
Speaker 5: You guys hit very well against Left Youthium for the first few months of the year, or you've seen something different and now you're being attacked. Whether it's you know, the way they're attacking the inside half with you know, fastballs that's a different or is it just you chalking up to three bad games?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think you know, yeah, three bad games.
Speaker 4: At the same time, you got to look internally and make sure that there are adjustments being made and I think, you know, adjusting to the fastball and figuring out the way to move some of those forwards is a really good place.
Speaker 2: For us to start.
Speaker 1: Now. I'm joined by Soxx Machines, beer reporter James Vegan and managing editor Jim Margolus, and Hello gents. Our last podcast episode had a hint of optimism after the White Socks were able to split a four game series against the Cleveland Guardians, and then this I don't know really how to describe it other than yikes. As I mentioned the intro being outscored fifteen to two, the White Sox did not even have a single extra basid in this series against the Boston Red Sox In the three games, James vegan. What happened to the White Sox offense against Boston?
Speaker 5: See last time I saw the rundown like three hours ahead of time, and I had answers prepared, whereas now kind of hectic and bouncing around my fault, I didn't see it. So I saw just a slot of where are the offense go? And the only response I had of like is the defensive? I don't know, man, what do you get off my back? I certainly think like totally was like my like sleeper ale Rookie of the Year pick fangrafs. So on the one hand, like he started a theme that continued the whole series of just like here's a bunch of fastballs, especially like in on the hands of right handers over and over again, do something about it. And seeing a team that's kind of prided itself on slug not really be able to do something about it.
Speaker 6: Obviously not great.
Speaker 5: That said, I thought, like totally totally's fastball being elite likes kind of established his prospect profile. Randall Gritchick said, like this Jake Bennett was like the best location they had faced all season, And you know, you hear that sort of quote a lot when teams get like skunked in a way like dip your cap.
Speaker 6: That guy was great.
Speaker 5: I did think he was like like Atlease with bats where I was really locked in, like where he tied up like Bradon Montgomery like early in the game, and it was really just like on perfect edge fastballs on his hands, like over and over again, like I thought he he was commanding very well. At the same time, like Jake Bennett is not like you know, prime Steve Carlton. I think there is some level of like the offense just obviously not looking good all the way through the series, even if the ballastn't generally pitched well, certainly in stretches they've faced more proven competition and done a bit better than that in a way that kind of shows her off. And I've always been a little iffy on their attack against lefties, and I think the statistics had been countering that all year, but it's been really heavily on like Miguel Vargas being like literally the best hitter in the league against lefties or Randall Gritcheck just like bottling everything we understand about Randall. Gritcheck can hit let it lefties, like in these very compacted bursts, whereas like now he's kind of maybe regressing back to what is normal good but not like he's going to hit a home run every game type of production against left handers. And without that, and without Edgar Carrow, that you really kind of expected to be, you know, the catcher who starts against lefties and does a lot of damage against them based on last season, the fact that Austin Hayes and eversin Peira are both been out for a long time, and just when they thought they were like going to go back to having kind of a legit right handed corner back to put against lefties, they trade Derek Hill and Prera runs into a wall and now they're stuck kind of using minor league depth a little bit like June and Prez's tools. But you know, it wasn't having a good year in Triple A. Like I haven't been as discouraged as maybe some of our competes are in terms of like what Perez could be long term, but certainly it's not. There's gonna be warts and like trusting that to be irregular middle of the order masher against left handed pitching. So I think a lot of things kind of came together at the same time. Like I know from covering him for a year and a half at this point, like nothing irritates by the pennable or get some just s treak his team like quite as pointedly as just like getting blown away in the zone by fastballs, and that's certainly was what it was all all three games.
Speaker 1: And James mentioned Randall Gridchick. Jim and we talked about grid Chick in our previous podcast episode reviewing this upcoming series. I felt like he needed to have a big series with the White Sox, somebody else to provide some power from the right handed side other than Miguel Vargas. He came up empty. He went oh for nine with three strikeouts and no walks in this series, and I think that's a big factor as far as this DH rotation that they have right now between the two veterans and Gridchick and then of course Andrew ben Attendee.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a.
Speaker 7: Couple of things. I mean, he did hit a couple balls hard that found gloves and the Red Sox played pretty good defense too. They did snuff out even Like, yeah, White Sox kind of needed some luck to get things going, and there was no luck to be had. Uh with the weaker balls, they hit like nothing that could snowball, So like that's part of it. Part of it's like that it's just random variation. Bennett kind of reminded me of like jose Kintana. I think it would be my comp in terms of like relentless inside fastballs, and then they start looking for inside fastballs and then he moves them up just enough to where like they're up but they're inside, but they're also like slightly out of the zone. So it gets pop ups or foul balls and bad counts, and then the change ups come. You know, he starts spotting stuff outer half and then that gets them all out of sorts. So that was part of it. And then you know, like bigger pictures that they got Gritchick for free basically, I mean they signed him for a one point twenty five million, but he was a minor league contract in the offseason was released by the Yankees, so you can't be banking on them that much. As much as the White Sox have gotten from them and then Junior pres not being a major leaguer at least yet, you know, that's your right hand bats right now in the outfield, and once that option is shot, then you have like the situation where Jacob Gonzalez is batting against the Rolldess Chapman is the last hope in the ninth inning. So you saw the depth issues being exposed, I think in this three game series. So the hope is that and you can't really bank on it. But like Austin Hayes isn't dead yet, I guess we'll say, like he's not as replaceable as he looked to when Hill and Gritchick were there and Perero was healthy. And you know, like I would say, Hayes is probably closer to turning than Pereira. So it looks like he helped me back in the mix, and the White Sox might need something from him yet, and you can't discount him. I mean, you just he's already in the fold, he's already under contract. Anybody who is a right handed bat can stand in the outfield and has a semblance of major league production, I think you have to respect and hope they can get something from well.
Speaker 1: The other right handed bat. Of course he's a switcher, is Brady Montgomery. And when you take a look at the Crochet trade trio in this series seeking Revenge, I guess in a weird way, they got an opportunity to play in the major leagues with the White Sox, So I'm really not sure about the revenge angle. But facing their former team, Kyle Teal over seven Chase my draft two for ten, he needed two walks. That was Jim's pick for who needs a big series with the White Sox to be successful. In our last episode, mine was Bradon Montgomery and he went one for eleven with a walk. So the Crochet trae Jim still going well for the White Sox, but at least for this series, no additional bonus points.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean Teal starting against lefties or having to play against lefties that doesn't help him. And then you have Drew Romo starting against a lefty, so that's another thing that kind of shortens the lineup a lot. Uh. You know my draft gun on base you with thirty three percent of the time. That's okay for a series. You know, Montgomery weaker against lefties historically, but needs the plate appearances so you know that's you know, you're looking at Sam Antonaci, the other guy who wasn't doing anything against lefties early, starting to do something now, So you know, these are bats for Braden. While I wouldn't even say it was tough to watch, like the I think the discipline is there, are these the pitch recognition they were telling strikes from balls? Is there just a matter of like getting the barrel on time, you know, just I think it's more a matter of the swing or timing it up versus you know, just not reading pitch as well. So I think you just got to keep giving him at bats, especially when the competition right now is Junior Paris, And uh yeah, I think it's just a case where this is a group where lefties make them look weaker, and they did.
Speaker 5: I thought Brandon looked like as dangerous as anyone on Thursday on the team, at least, like I think he hit ball decently hard, like three times.
Speaker 7: So and then you had another hit taken yeah, and then had another.
Speaker 6: Hit taken away.
Speaker 5: Like you know, it wasn't a pretty start, but it's certainly about the prospects like him. You can kind of say like, oh, it looks like he was kind of figuring things out a little bit.
Speaker 6: At the end, so.
Speaker 1: Sam Antonaci went for for in this series. He is now hitting a little bit better against leftenant pitching, still not a lot of power. He's up to five twenty ohhs against south Pause and James. I guess, as Jim kind of laid out that, with the current health of the outfield right now, there's not a lot of latune opportunities for the White Sox. But at the same time, it feels like the White Sox wants sam Antonacci to learn on the fly here, so he's able to be in the lineup every single game despite who is on the mound. Is he going to continue to get this type of run against lefties?
Speaker 5: I would think so more, if only because they're choosing a little bit, you know, especially with how much they're using Perez like to sit either Peters or Montgomery or him, so he can kind of just push that into more of a rotation than just like he's the one who sits. When that happens, and Vnable complimented him, it's clearly like something you're emphasizing of just trying to, like you mentioned that a lot of power it's basically like, all right, he's probably not going to hit for power against him, Let's just write and lash some singles to left field. Is the explanation of what he's trying to do against left handers. And you know he's able to do that a little bit. And I think with where they're at until like Austin Hayes, like his rehab assigm wouldn't be until after the All Star break, Like, there's going to be at least a couple more series of them trying to figure it out without really having a right in a quarterback. So yeah, this is runway for him to keep doing that or give himself a chance. And he's been moving up from like not playing to like Betty Knight to batting six, not while the team is thriving, but certainly like indicates like his place on you know, the pecking orders, you know, only going up, if not dramatically.
Speaker 1: Hopefully the White Sox offense fair is a lot better against the Athletics. This upcoming weekend, will be previewing that series. Later in the show, A big part of the White Sox offense we'll be returning as we'll talk about Mudataka Murakami later but the bitching signed for this series. Davis Martin not a great start, so this is back to back starts where he's not able to get through five innings. Davis Martin only went four innings against the Boston Red Sox. He allowed five earned runs on six hits, two walks, two strikeouts. And his last seven starts for Davis Martin, he has an urn run average of six point three four. He has reached one hundred innings and that was his last start before the All Star break. So if he's not added to the American League All Star team, he's going to get some additional rest. And I wonder, James last year we saw this with Shane Smith that he was starting to sputter entering the All Star break. Is Davis Martin going through the same thing here where maybe he's just a little bit out of gas at the halfway point.
Speaker 5: He certainly says so I feelt better about writing like a month's worth the pieces, kind of trying to politely hint at the idea that he was fatigued for him to say at the end of his last start, like yeah, I'm worn out or I'm tired. I mean need this break in a way that you know, the velocity isn't like top, but it isn't like what's falling apart. It sounds like it's just really hard for him to like be consistent with some of the timing of his delivery and his command with the way he's feeling right now.
Speaker 1: And so.
Speaker 5: You know, if this was eight years ago or talking about like how they schedule things out with Don Cooper, you'd expect him to be like the last guy out of the out of the All Star break to give him like this big extended rest. And you know, certainly right now he seems like, you know, the squeakiest wheel in a sense in that way. But that said, like Noah Schultz has obviously not thrown big innings or even like I think north of one hundred innings in any year of his career, so that's something you consider, you know, on top of the fact he just hasn't been performing recently. And then Sean Berke and is probably in a similar part as far as like Max around around one hundred and forty eight Martin, though he obviously it's throwing harder and better than ever. Right now, there's enough other guys who aren't like you know, Anthony k had a pretty long, you know season last year, but it hasn't like necessarily had like one hundred and eighty in campaign or something like that. Long story short, there are other guys that they would have like, you know, measures about like considering their workload. I just think like Martin's kind of like the obvious point we still haven't necessarily heard, you know, the final rosters of what subs will need it, and you know he certainly's be willing to do it. I don't think he turned it down for this reason, since it would be like an inning on regular rest, but certainly doesn't feel like a bad time for him to just kind of shut it down entirely as well, not entirely, I'm sure he'll be throwing and whatnot, but like the idea of him getting two weeks off between starts with you know, the way he talked ever his last one, that seems fine.
Speaker 6: Shane Smith could be similar.
Speaker 5: You know, they're both kind of like how much of those four commands about fatigue? How much which is about like Smith just like really not having much track record of starting at all to that degree, but as far as like a broad strokes type of thing, I don't know if Shane Smith is going to with just immaculate timing suffer a ankle spray in posts all Star break workouts. I don't think it be repeated that necessarily to get Martin extra rest, but seems like a similar concept overall.
Speaker 1: And then James mentioned Noah Schultz. Jim Schultz went five innings. He alloud's seven hits, four earned runs, he walked three, struck out three. And that is starting number ten in his rookie season. So we have ten starts of data for Noah Schultz and right now his own run average is six. He's pitched forty eight innings, he's got forty three strikeouts and twenty nine walks. What do you make of the first ten career starts for Noah Schultz?
Speaker 7: It's not what you want. I think based on what he looks like when he's at his best in the minor leagues, that version hasn't been seen in the majors, and it's hard to know with the knee issue like that's been the common thread. When he hasn't looked like himself, when he hasn't thrown strikes, when the slider has been less than imposing, it turns out that detends to go on the injured list when that happens, and he doesn't say anything about it until after he's on the injured list, and there's no real you know, reference to it or talk about mitigation anything. He's pitching through. It just kind of happens. Then you reverse engineer, like, oh, that's the reason why I wasn't throwing strikes. And so when he comes back from the injured list and he's still not throwing strikes, it's a case where like, is it still fine? And you know he uh, you know, he seems to not want to talk about it, which is his rights. But in terms of adjusting your expectations or just the kind of you know, following patterns or you know, whether you just take it like that or if you take it like a little to unbridge, like fool me twice, Yeah, then it's my problem, you know, depending on how you look at it. It's just a case where it's hard to know exactly what. You know, whether he's pitching his best, whether you're seeing him applying his best in major league hitters just aren't phased, or whether he's showing up with like eighty percent of his stuff and as a rookie who's just you know, not having what he happened, he's his best in the miners, it's actually okay, and he's serving a purpose and you hope that he gets better to where he can flash that if not number one, stuff like number two based on the way he was throwing in the miners when he peaked, like not ridiculous to say his number two starter ceiling. So yeah, that's why I think what's what makes it tricky?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Lenn Casper and Darren Jackson on the radio side for the White Sox broadcast continue to bring up Brandy Johnson because we don't have many examples in Major League Baseball history of tanne pitchers who are six feet tall six foot ten and taller like Schultz and Johnson, and Darren Jackson keeps bringing up the point it took a long time for Randy Johnson to figure it out, like until he was like age twenty seven, which I think Schultz is right now twenty two to twenty three years old. So maybe it takes four more seasons for Noah's Schultz to figure it out. But as we have learned in this day and age, White Sox fans are not all that patient Jim and something.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Rendy Johnson walked one hundred and twenty eight batters one hundred and forty innings in Jackson. Yeah, yeah, that wasn't there in the miners, whereas you know, Schultz could always throw strikes.
Speaker 5: Yes, I think that that argument is like great for Noah Schultz. Randy Johnson's development pat didn't work out great for the Montreal expos it worked out great for his second ORG. And I think even Banister has made jokes about like that, like sometimes they say like they're really great Excel tall pictures, like they're really stars for their second ORG and that funny, but would not be, like, I think, a good outcome here for what they're trying to accomplish, especially an organization that's so reliant on pre arbitration talent for driving their their return to competition at this point.
Speaker 6: So yeah, point well.
Speaker 5: Taken as far as Randy Johnson comps, but not comforting from the narrow perspective of you talking to a team focused audience.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk about that idea, because while reading ESPN dot com today, Jeff Passon wrote about a realistic trade scenario for the contending teams and a dream trade consideration for contending teams, and his for the White Sox was the same player, Red Debt Merse with the Los Angeles Angels, and as Passon wrote about, as far as the dream aspect of this partner, more so from the angle of the Los Angeles Angels and Artie Moreno their owner finally need to pick a lane a little bit overdue, and Passon is advocating, and I think many around Major League base while are advocating for the Angels to start rebuilding, meaning that you don't just trade redet Merse, but you finally trade Mike Trout and any possible hypothetical deal with the White Sox. Jeff Asses suggests the idea that maybe Noahs Schultz could be involved in such a trade. Jim, would that be too soon? Like, is it too soon to talk about adding Noahs Schultz into a potential trade, not.
Speaker 7: Necessarily, just because of the injury concern and the fact that you know, he said a hard time staying on the mound. It reminds me a little bit. I think of a couple of situations of which ways it could go. Is one is you know Daniel Hudson would be one somebody who was thrust into a rotation that had postseason aspirations and he wasn't quite getting it done, and so they traded him for Edwin Jackson and then he went on to have a nice year with Diamondbacks and an arm problem set in. But for a while it looked like they lost that trade, and then afterwards, when Hudson was more of a reliever, hindsight looked like a Oka trade. Neither side kind of got what they wanted ultimately, Like Jackson was a competent professional, Like I'd like to say if James Shields turned out to be Edwin Jackson in that trade and they gave it Fernando Tatis for Edwin Jackson, and Jackson provided, you know the where Shields provided, like the two hundred decent innings and you know they didn't make the postseason. Wasn't his fault, Like you could see what the White Sox are going for and said, Shields crap the bed and that's why it like it hurts, But Jackson was fine, and like Hudson wasn't didn't quite pan out in that starter role, So it hurt initially, but it was worth doing, or at least you understand it, like you know, you could run back and maybe make the same case again. The other one was like Nick Madrigal, who just every injury had kind of sapped his ceiling just because he just kept getting hurt, and like, you know, just every leg injury SAPs the speed, which you know already heard him when he lost a grade of speed, and you think, like you know, shoulder injury, everything, like that's gonna sap every bit of power he needs. So when they traded him for Craig Kimbrel when he's on the injured list, it struck me as like, okay, like you don't know how he's gonna come back from the injury. How you know, let's see how that happens and turns out like trading magical is fine, Like the timing was fine. The problem was either getting Kimberrel or exercising his option. So that's kind of how I look at it in those regards. For initially I was like, oh, that feels a robbing Peter to pay Paul. On the other hand, you know, you can try to suss out or try to map out something, and you could see one where Schultz never quite stays healthy and then you look at it like, well, you know, deptvers if debtmer is on the block and they could have gotten them, that could have been good. So yeah, it's interesting enough and to where I think it's fine. Like I saw a lot of you know, objections to it, but it doesn't strike me as senseless or reckless. I can see an argument for it.
Speaker 1: James, do you agree? Do you think that could be possible?
Speaker 5: So the first two observations I have is that, yeah, Hudson became a reliever long term. June seventeen, twenty eleven, when Hudson threw a complete game against the Socks and hit an RBI double off of Edwin Jackson.
Speaker 6: Because Pitcher's still it, that.
Speaker 5: Was a rough night on the White Sox block is fear Yep, there was no like this is gonna be a good an okay trade down the road.
Speaker 6: Feelings back then, I remember that I didn't know what's the right. I didn't feel like I can match anyone's anchor properly.
Speaker 7: I remember writing about saying like that was basically the worst possible representation of the steal.
Speaker 5: It's one until like they show a progress, You're almost it's it's not cheating like sending three distressed assets to the Angels, Like, well, it's not gonna look bad because you're just sending them to the place where like these projects would all go to die. Yeah, they're probably not going to figure out how to get Noah Schultz right or yeah, like William going, well, this is another nine months with a shin bruise for somehow, once he joins the Angle.
Speaker 7: Paying Alexander albertas forward.
Speaker 5: It's like, well, we clearly got out at the right time. Even if like read Deadmeres has like a four or fifty era, it's like, well, these sage geniuses, how do we question them? Like they like, I don't know what they do to mess up Billy Carlson, But it's like all of a sudden he like can't stick a short something now but hits home runs with the low OBP. That'd be the typical Angels player. It's you kind of think like you're selling low on like three different guys in one trade.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 6: And certainly it's the way they've talked about Schultz in the past. Uh, and you know bring him up.
Speaker 5: It would represent like Okay, you've clearly like either soured on him or gotten really worried about the knee or gotten like worried about how quickly you can turn this around or get this right over the last like two three months in a way that like there seems like there's a real story to tell about that based on like what this was sold as up until this point, Whereas like Bgoya, it certainly started out great, but up until like this season, I was like this, right, it's a zero power like utility infielder. Like it's a nice fun player and profile and it's a useful big leader, but it's not like a core piece that you have to hoard and can't put.
Speaker 6: On the market. And then.
Speaker 5: Carlson like there's a chance that like that become like a very easy, like annual two to three win player just on defense alone. At the same time, like at least at this juncture where it seems like it's undecided whether the bat is really going to click at all to become a regular you know, that's exacerbated the fact that he's been shut down by injuries. There's no been sign of progress in the last six weeks that isn't playing. It feels like you can definitely make your peace for it. At this time, I just worry like we're we're kind of prisoners at the moment, and look at all these guys where I can see them like, well, if it's if there's not enough turn from here, Yeah, this wouldn't be a bad time if you if you really think debt MERS is like a multi year starter, and this rotation for a team that's maybe not like win the World Series right now, but certainly is going to be expecting to compete for the division next year and a year after that with the current group you have, So I definitely can get behind it. I would definitely want to hear a lot more about how they came to do it if it went down, because clearly this would represent a change from how these players were being valued, certainly the centerpiece in April in a way that you know, let's let's set up the interviews now, you know Chris and then Brian, if that's the way things go. But at this present prison of the moment, time are like, oh man.
Speaker 6: They got to win this division and.
Speaker 5: I'm kind of like, don't see what's happening right now or can't see like the vision towards dominance with with any of these profiles. Yeah, it makes sense, but it feels very you better know type of decision or not because the angels will make you look fine at you.
Speaker 1: That true because the Angels, I guess I'm not against the idea of trading Noah Schultz. It just took me aback because I really hadn't thought about the idea. And I owe Josh Friedman, our friend over at WGN a clip because when I joined him and Jared Payne on GN Sports in early March to talk about this upcoming season, and I pitched the idea that maybe the White Sox heading to the All Star Break could be hoving around five hundred and taking Rock Jelawski and it'll be feeling like a lot happier on the south side than on the north side. And well, Lah, I'm looking good so far. But in that same interview, I thought that we would see tremendous progress from Noah Schultz, Tega Smith and Tannavdugal was throwing triple digits and spring training that's where White Sox fans should be excited, eh Ron, that's like three x's right now, well maybe two and a half. McDougall's moving over to the bullpen, so there's still some time, but I think it's still early. Like I don't want to be incredibly harsh in criticism in Noah Schultz. He's learning. Maybe because the White Sox are a contending team and leading the American League Central Gym, it shortens the leash that the White Sox can afford if they are changing their minds and they want to win the division this year, and how many more starts and how haitian they are with Noah Schultz, We're still waiting for Hagen Smith right to throw after his shoulder injury. He hasn't pitched yet.
Speaker 5: He's supposed to literally throw today, Okay, And because you whoever's listening to this is living in the future.
Speaker 1: Yes, and McDougall is moving to the bullpen, which I'm okay with that move.
Speaker 6: He's going to stay there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The starting depth for the White Sox has been really impacted u this season and even last year as well. So if the Angels with an interim general manager are going to have some type of tear down, and let's say Jeff Hassen has some real dope here and this dream scenario is moving two of your more recent first round pick it picks and Noah Schultz and Billy Carlson to the Angels for redbt Merse, I guess I'm not against that idea, Jim. The more that we talk about and think about it, it's just literally this morning, Jim, was the first time I ever thought of the White Sox post trading Noah Schultz, and I didn't know how to feel about it.
Speaker 7: That's my magical game to mind. Just because we got traded, was like I didn't know those possibles. I didn't know it in a market and it happened, And when I thought about it, it just, yeah, makes sense to UH to deal him before knowing what he looks like when he comes back. So just with Detmer's like, I think I'd be a little bit more gung ho about it if he had thrown more than one hundred and fifty innings in the season. Like I think, if you're looking for somebody to reinforce the rotation over the last two months, he'd want somebody who's not like going to run into his own innings wall maybe towards the end, And then you can end up being just kind of disappointed or unimpressed with the way everything's kind of unfolded. So yeah, that's why I think I wouldn't be necessarily for it. I could just understand how he came to that conclusion, but it just a matter of like the era has gone up recently, and he's always been somebody who his era has always been above his fip. Like he's kind of like the Hobviyer of Vasquez thing of just should be better, should be better when he seems gonna figure it out and never quite does it. And you know, perhaps the White Sox can because of the Angels factor and just how everybody seems more or less a drift, we're left at their own devices on that roster. But that would be my one concern I think for that specific deal this year is does debtmers have enough in the tank to get through six months, especially if you're trading Schultz, who is one of the year rotation pieces. That's you know, maybe Jonathan Cannon's kind of coming up to provide an extra starter or too, Like, you know, he's not gonna be somebody who you know is gonna be a postseason rotation, but in terms of giving somebody a blow just to be able to take a week off, Cannon might be able to do that you're looking for that kind of arm I think from Charlotte from from here on to the rest.
Speaker 6: Of the season.
Speaker 7: But anybody adding from the outset, I think is somebody you want confidence in that over the last two months they can look like they've looked. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the other thing I just thought of, we were hoping that this season that Noah schultzen Hagen Smith would answer the question of who would help out a twenty twenty seven or lead a twenty twenty seven pitching staff for the Chicago White Sox. I think that confidence is pretty low at this moment that you can count on them. I know, next year is next year, but again, we were thinking in twenty twenty six was going to be another rebuilding year for the White Sox and that whole future starting rotation for the ball club is hazy. So if you can get someone like Redett Merse and you have to trade Noah Schultz, I wonder if that tells Us James that the White Sox front office is a little bit more confident that Redebt Merse could lead a rotation for the White Sox in twenty twenty seven than Noah Schultz.
Speaker 5: I mean, you would have you know, Martin Burke and kay All back for next year.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah, and.
Speaker 5: At least like some of these options, whether it's MacDougal stretching out or truth orpis you know, it seems like if he uh for for the season at this point, but like there's at least like a massive people that are kind of fifth starter candidates, and then you have just you know, you literally got fetti for you know, Randall Gritchick prices this season, like there's not like necessarily, oh man, they have to sign three starters if they the free demers doesn't work out, sort of like depth fault. Obviously, injuries can pop up or anyone can go down spring training, but.
Speaker 6: Maybe not Mega dier.
Speaker 5: It'd be nicer to have like Christian Oper, you know, pushing up as an option for twenty twenty seven, and obviously that's not you know.
Speaker 6: How it's work out. Look, let's move on.
Speaker 5: I should flesh out what you were talking about with Hagen Smith, because you know, Yanish was talking to the media on Thursday and McDougall's kind of there were hints about it weeks ago that this was happening, and then his first three outings. We're all in the bullpen and like this was yanish coming out today, And I think McDougall said it openly in Charlotte too, like I'm sticking here for the rest of the year and that's fine. And I think mcgougall's a little surprised by it, but still also like he got aheaded to the forty man last year. He's like, I, you know, go moved to the bullpen if it got me to Chicago, and you know, came to fruition. So I feel like that was a little like this is final as we're ready to say this publicly type of situation, Whereas with Hagen, he's just starting throwing again and McDougall missed two months. Hagan's been a month at this point and it is just starting to wrap up. But it's a similar situation, like it's now more than halfway through the season, we're in the July. Do you want to go through the process of ramping this guy all the way up to get him to start again when one in the shoulder impingement and two like he wasn't necessarily looking like he was ready. He's starting wise and command wise, and so I kind of asked Yadish, like what's so different in the calculus here that you wouldn't just like make a similar move with Hagen of just having finished the year in the bullpen, and they're not at the point of like, yeah, Hagen's gonna be the bullpen. But Yannish was like, you know, they're not different, They're they're pretty similar. That's a good comparison. So I think like, obviously they want to get to the point where like Hagen's ramped up, he's healthy, he's throwing in games. But it seems like it's trending towards a very similar outcome of thinking him more as a likely multiinier reliever or just the reliever down the stretch than really seeing him take him on the rotation spot. So when you're approaching the trade market, I think McDougall smith really relying on those being like somebody who comes in and just starts taking them.
Speaker 6: All every fifth day.
Speaker 5: It sounds like that's a little by the board already, and that might be a little bit more impetus of like, hey, if we're going to get someone who really just comes and becomes a part of the rotation and takes the ball every fifth day, and we're counting on that to write out the season. Maybe it's going to have to be external or you're going to have to like get really convicted about Mason Adams in a in a period of time where I think it's understandable they still could because he is relatively early and as TJ rehabb and he really didn't pitch much of trichall A before that. Yeah, but I think that well, with what all we've listed out in all the scenarios we've talked about, that alone could kind of get you to why they might need to be aggressive in terms of getting a starter at the deadline, because it's a little torture path the scene with a solution internally. As we also asked him straight up about like drewth Thorpe, do you think he pitches the majors this year? Is like not really in position to promise that.
Speaker 1: Well, then it was an idea that I read today. I did not have that notion in my mind, but after we've talked through it, I wouldn't be against it. I would be surprised that the White Sox. I wouldn't necessarily give up on Noah's should he would still be a starter in the major leagues just for the angels. But there is a need and in order to fulfill that need with quality, if it takes trading, Noahs Schultz, I guess I'm not against it. After this conversation, let us know how you guys feel, either in the comment section on soxx machine dot com or for those that are watching the video, let us know in the comments below of the YouTube video. Also a quick shout out on the pitching site. Sirante the Mingas pitched twice and he didn't allow a run progress. How did he look to you, James?
Speaker 5: Another case of putting your thumb on the scale where you're just confirming your thesis. But he looked like Siranton Dimingas, and the sense that he got out of both those innings and started both of them like a little Lucy kuzci Can spraying the ball, and then his delivery kind of slowly got in sync and he worked his way out of it. I think he put like the first two guys on and one of his two os first three with a walking a single, and then like started getting ahead of hitters every now and then, and it looked a bit different. It wasn't as stressful because it was like the sixth and they were trailing type of situation. Like it didn't look fundamentally different. It was successful. It did kind of speak to his talent. He was throwing very hard, moving the balls moving a lot. It still looked like, ow, if he did that in the ninth they of a one run game, you probably wouldn't be enjoying it even if it worked. So it continues to be like, this is stuff over command reliever who you know, Hopefully we see the hot streak at some point in the year. Second half, better time to do it than the first except for the fact of retaining your closest status.
Speaker 1: Well, for the Chicago White Sox, they continue this homestand and they're hoping this weekend it's a lot better against the Athletics than it was against the Boston Red Sox. The Athletics are really struggling, So that's the complete opposite with the Red SOI were on a heater heading to Chicago. The Athletics just lost again to the Detroit Tigers in Detroit. The Athletics are forty one and fifty two this year, their fourth place in the American League West. They are currently five and a half games out of the American League Wildcard. The Athletics have lost six straight games and they are one to nine in their last ten. They're all right on the road. They're twenty two and twenty four this season. You're bridging problems for this series. Friday night at six forty pm Central Time. This is a sellout as its Mexican Heritage Night at rape Field to be determined for the Athletics against Sean Burke, who has been very good for the White Sox. Saturday afternoon at one ten pm Central Time. This is also a Major League Baseball Draft Day and also the alumni Home Run Derby Day for the White Sox. It'll be another left handed starter against the White Sox offense. This time for the Athletics it's Gauge Jump and for the White Sox it's Eric Fetti. Would also stay tuned, especially on social media, follow James at j R Figan. If the White Sox decided to have an opener on Saturday and then on Sunday, last call before the All Star Break could be JT. Gin for the Athletics and Noah Schultz. We just spoke about in great length and for this series, the White Sox are getting some good news. It is the return of Munataka Murakami. As Murakami has recovered from his hamstring injury. He played a couple of games down in Charlotte to get some game reps, and then he flew up I believe, either Wednesday night or on Thursday, to Chicago to rejoin the team. At this moment, we do not know what the corresponding move will be for the Chicago White Sox in adding Munataka Murakami. You can get that news again either on social media or be able to read on soxsmachine dot com. But James, it feels like, do you have insight? Do you have an idea of what the move is?
Speaker 5: Jacob Gonzoska called in the mander's office, then got hugged from the teammates and then started putting things in a double bag in front of his locker.
Speaker 6: Didn't seem like I needed.
Speaker 5: To go to the next level of going over and asking him. But it seems pretty clear both on kind of squishing is about what his usage would be with Murakami, how he's pretty much not played anything but the first base and taking a bats against right hand the starters his first baseman.
Speaker 6: I would I would.
Speaker 5: Think it's it's Jacob Gonzalez is gonna be the Cores finding move from Minutaka Muramy.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, we got some good moments out of Jacob Gonzales. He finally reached the major leagues, so I'm sure he'll re rejoin the White Sox before this season's end. And for Murakami, James only two games of reps with Charlotte and now rejoined the White Sox in this last series before the All Star break. And at this moment, we don't know Marrik Kami is going to be part of the All Star festivities. They are still they've still yet to announce the final two hitters of the Home Run Derby. They are including hitters that are not elected to the All Star Team to be part of the Home Run Derby. So maybe Murkami will join you in Philadelphia during the All Star festivities and participating that Home Run Derby, But at this moment, we don't know. So I'm kind of curious as far as the timing. Why are the White Sox bridey Murkami now instead of giving him maybe an extra weekend to rest.
Speaker 5: Seems like they want him. I think he wants to be active. I certainly don't think they be around the idea of like even sending him on a rehab assignment, talking about like, well, could we just have him play the field, play like two defensive drills, play some some games, or you hit off the traject They ultimately went with a short one. They certainly need him in terms of like what their offenses look like. They feel like they g get a jolt. I think Markami really spanging the drama, wants to play as part of it. And they're right at six weeks pretty much to the dot. So I think all all the points were why not and hey, if he gets active and one they you know, win some games. They kind of need to in based on you know, the series that just came in, and he's around to be active at there's an invite for floating around for home run derby like all the better. Other than like the fact that like he could be rusty, I feel like there's not really any like big you know, with only two rehab games, there's like a big warning sign for or feeling like he was rushed up in some sense, he got through a full game.
Speaker 6: He played in the field.
Speaker 5: He has been pretty much in the spring training in terms of what he's been willing or offering himself to do as far as the workload, kind of insane, but that's his vibe. It seems like it worked out for him for the most part. Maybe he won't be stealing bases upon return quite as aggressively as he was right before the injury, but this seems like something that he's been through most of the paces, and then, certainly, knowing the player and how he's acted, was probably pushing to do as soon as possible.
Speaker 1: And then for this weekend and this particular series, Jim, with the White Sox stubbing their toe against Boston Cleveland having difficulty with the Minnesota Twins, would you take a look at the American League Central standings now? The White Sox and Guardians are tied once again entering the final weekend before the All Star break, as both teams are two games above five hundred. But there's the Minnesota Twins who are two games back now and the Detroit Tigers who are four and a half games back. The Tigers are forty three and fifty, but they've won their last five and they won eight of their last ten games, So looking at this series, against the Athletics gym. Just from a morale perspective, how important is this series for the White Sox.
Speaker 7: I think the All Star break right around the corner helps in terms of being able to reset, so I think in terms of if they go a limp pick into the break. Obviously is a downer for just dwell on a little bit for fans who are thinking about looking at the standings, but this would be the time to need a reset versus like going into like a thirteen games in thirteen days and not having any answers. So I think, no matter what, the break will serve them well. I think having a couple lefties coming up for the Athletics right after Lefty shut them down poses a you know, a well time challenge, I think because they are lesser lefties on paper, so if they struggle again, you kind of get to this. I guess philosophical debates of well, you know what the White Sox need to add could also be a case of well do the White Sox need to add or are they just kind of throwing good money after bad if they just really need so much help against lefties and just aren't having it, so I think that's maybe The danger is if they if this stretch goes too long before the deadline for fans wanting them to add for winding the reinforce, you want the White Sox provide real reasons. And yeah, I mean the Athletics have lost six in a row, so this would be the time to get right. And if you are the White Sox and you are the fuel foreign Athletics turnaround, that doesn't necessarily build build a lot of confidence. So I think that's maybe the focus I'm looking at with this series is can they produce against any left handed starter, be it good ones like the Red Sox had, or ify ones like the Athletics are putting forth. I think that's where I'm looking at in more of a micro sense versus a big picture sense, because you have the break and then we'll see what they look like after the break, which could be either a different team or just you know, the Tigers continue to look good and the standings that you thought would be the standings before the season are more or less coming on late. But we're never like imaginary to begin with.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, I was gonna say a reminder that the White Sox after the All Star break have a road trip. They'll be visiting the Toronto Blue Jays and then make their way from Toronto down to Arlington to face it sexas Rangers.
Speaker 5: I just want to specify that when I call players insane, it's almost ninety complimentary. We enjoy Sam Antonachi's insanity talking to Tim Anderson about what he sees when someone's throwing one hundred at him, Like I think, like he sees things at a different speed that probably makes him insane. The best players are insane. I feel so compliment to Murakami that he's rushing back to lay down his body for the glorious title of the AL Central, A truly insane thing to do.
Speaker 1: Well again, hopefully the White Sox play a lot better, just wit at least one game so we can say that you're above five hundred entering the All Star Break. I did not think that was going to be at risk a couple of weeks ago, but now it kind of is. The Guardians have a tough series. The Guardians have to face the Miami Marlins, and the Miami Marlins have been red hot. They've been playing some of the best baseball in the league. So we'll see where the American League Central standing shakeout, but right or not, the White Sox are part of a heated race now for the division, something we weren't expecting, but that's where we are entering the All Star break this season, and as I mentioned on Saturday, it's a pretty important day for the Chicago White Sox well. The first time since nineteen seventy seven when they drafted Harold Bain's first overall, the Chicago White Sox will be having the first overall pick. Jim Margolus and I will be live streaming on our YouTube channel YouTube dot com slash Socks Machining to provide our live reactions to the White Sox making that first overall pick. James will also be contributing as well, as you'll be speaking with the White Sox as they'll be holding the draft operations at raid Field. If you do have tickets for Saturday's game, the White Sox are actually going to be hosting a watch party at raid Field before first pitch between the White Sox and Athletics when they announce their first overall pick. You can go to Soxmachine dot com and read all of the work that we have written about this upcoming draft, and I also shared my thoughts on the cases four and the cases against Grady Emerson, Rock Schalowski and Von Mackey to go first overall. But for the White Sox marketing team, they could not be more excited for the alumni home run Derby. And let's get pumped up because your home run Derby participants are Jose Canseco, Alexey Riverrez, Gordon Beckham, Lorii Garcia, Scott Pisednik, and Daniel Balka Jim Margolis. I'm not asking you who's gonna win this home run derby? I'm asking you, is anyone going to hit home run in this home run derby? Out of these contestants, who is most likely to hit a home run?
Speaker 7: A few questions? One are they playing with regulation bats and balls? Are they gonna play with like juice balls somehow? Or I hope so aluminum bats.
Speaker 1: I think it is wood bats. They have this special blue moon baseball. It's like an orange baseball. Okay, it could be juiced.
Speaker 7: Okay, well you had you can make a joke about is their drug testing? And that would apply to two players, not just one. Given that Alexi and the World Baseball Classic had a.
Speaker 6: Run in so.
Speaker 7: I think he would be Alexi just given that he was in game shape most recently maybe would be, if not the favorite, I think Paulka recently, you know, youngest I think in the field and the most recent slugging exploits. Seems like he should probably have the best shop. I think Alexi is probably probably number two Jose and Seco as one of the lesions of people who have a Canseco thirty one white Sox jersey in his closets. Not sure what I'm expecting there as given his just the way he's kind of melted down personally, just more or less a cautionary tale for growing up and making a ballplayer a hero, or it's like a very educational experience of having Jose and Seko as your favorite player when you're a kid and realizing like, oh, let's not follow his lead, let's appreciate talents and not make too much.
Speaker 1: Of it because yeah, it's.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it didn't necessarily go well for him. So curiously, what kind of emotions, if any, that all stir in me for just nostalgia or sadness or what. But yeah, I'm thinking Alexi is probably my favorite, both in terms of.
Speaker 1: I think you could do it and also like, hey, good for him, James w A you any confidence that any of these six can actually hit a home run?
Speaker 5: Paka hit like ten home runs in like a Mexican league in forty games or forty one games like two years ago.
Speaker 6: It was like a huge exit. Vlow dude under forty Still.
Speaker 5: Not you know, buying him like drop him in against like live major league pitching right this moment. But as far like Eddie home run, I feel like at least the guy I observed, you know, he's only thirty four years old.
Speaker 6: Good, he's a miracle. I feel pretty good that he'd be able to do it.
Speaker 5: He feels almost like a ringer, given how close he is to you know, being active, Like they want to make sure somebody can hear can hit home run.
Speaker 6: I think he'd be the guy to do it.
Speaker 5: Scott Pasendic talk to the media and back of the press butt on Thursday. He seems deeply skeptical of his ability to hit a home run. He seems honored to be here. He's a good sport, but like was talking about like his daughter's being like mystified about why he was selected for this and says he's only hit like three times off a tee since it's been announced. He hasn't faced like the ball coming toward him in some way, So I certainly think there could be some rounds where it would behoove him to juice the ball in some way. The Palca seems like he'd be able to do it. I think physically it's the ball over his fence. That's a lot easier for me to buy into than like, especially as I get older and how I feel like in my late thirties, like the idea that Jose could take up Hall of Fame talent or at least a caliber at least, but sixty three is that's more power to him if he can for sure.
Speaker 7: Hey, Luke Kapling hit a homer at seventy five. Granted it was with offenses slightly drawn in.
Speaker 2: But.
Speaker 5: That be dispariting for the White Sox to like go continue like their homeless drought in this Saturday and then see like Jose canseego launch them halfway up the concourse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have a feeling this is going to be a Daniel Paul Call Alexi Rameiraz Championship for the home run Derby. I think Lewie might hit one into the craft cave. I think if he bats left handed, I think he can he can pull one. Gordon Beckham. We'll see, we'll see. But I'm with you, Jim Lexi Ameraz being in game shape getting ready for the World Baseball Classic. And I did not know that Daniel Paulka played in the Mexican League and hit ten homers.
Speaker 7: So was in the Mexican League last year, played some winter ball. Okay, yeah, he had four homers thirty six games. So I think he has the most recent uh example, or he has the most recent success when it comes to putting professional pitching of any kind over the fence. So yeah, I think he. I think it's a three horse race in this case.
Speaker 5: Well lur and uh, it's like they realized that these homers are notable a little bit because they were surprising, right like and just google White Sox famous home runs and yeah, not put any more context than search.
Speaker 7: It feels like, you know, like a one hit wonder coming back. Just like play the song again. Uh, it's like Survivor play opening and closing with the Tiger, maybe playing it once in the middle.
Speaker 6: Play set.
Speaker 7: But I think they I think were they ones that opening closed the eye. Tiger might have played it once in the middle just to keep fans there, like I could see the same thing.
Speaker 1: I'm just I'm just hoping somebody hits a home run. Like that's my concern is nobody hits a home and then I don't know how you work.
Speaker 7: The horn torn like pectoral muscles. Just yeah, dropping down to one knee in the box.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll see how it goes. I'm sure we'll there be plenty of video. Again. The MLB Draft will be also ongoing, so that'll be most of our intention on Sox Machine. But let us down the comments section. Who who is your pick to click for the alumni home run derby for the Chicago White Sox. And that will do it for this episode of the Sox Machine podcast. Thank you guys so much for listening and watching. If you just discover the Sox Machine podcast, you can subscribe to the audio version wherever you listen to podcasts such as Spotify and Apple Music. Watch our videos at our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com slash socks Machine. Again, we'll be live streaming around twelve thirty pm Central Time on Saturday, leading up to the first pick of the major League Baseball Draft, and you can follow us on social media. Lots of news would be incoming. Follow us not at Sox Machine, follow James at g R Vegan. He'll be also in Philadelphia next week covering the Major League Baseball All Star Game for us and the future Schame. So a lot more content coming this upcoming week in Philadelphia from James, so you can follow me at Sox Machine Underscore Josh. If you enjoy our work one full access to all of our coverage of the Chicago White Sox, Major League Baseball and this weekend's Major League Baseball Draft, subscribe at Soxmachine dot com slash products to unlock all that access and also unlock the comments section and get ad free versions of both the podcast and website. The White Sox still have a winning record, so it doesn't get any cheaper now to sign up for a subscription. Please do so as we're trying to build up a postseason travel fund as well, and that's how those subscriptions help us. We can send James out on the road and Jim to the minor league affiliates to get more coverage of the Chicago White Sox. So again, visit Soxmachine dot com slash products and sign up today. The Sox Machine Podcast is a production of Soxmachine dot com. You're for all of things Chicago, White Sox Baseball, alongside James Vegan and Jim Margolus. I'm Josh Nelson. Thanks for listening and watching