Speaker 1: To on the move, galling deep, speedless Peace doll from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 2: This is Drivetime with Travis Wingfield. He's joy my hav hands in the playoffs.
Speaker 1: What is up Dolphins? And welcome to the Drift Time Podcast. I am your host, Travis Wingfield, and on today's show. And then there was just one remaining one preseason game, that is, but the Dolphins do notch another exhibition win. They go right down the field on the opening drive. I'll tell you the things I liked from a general standpoint, go over the game numbers, hear from some of the guys, and break down the hits and misses on the night. From the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is the Draft Time Podcast. This is kind of what you get in the preseason, right, A little bit of fireworks early on, and then three or so quarters of not much, and especially when you get so depleted by the numbers that you wind up using a receiver, a rookie receiver nonetheless, as you're running back throughout most of the second half of that game and being down to one tight end in the game, previous and just being so thin across the board that there's just not much you can do from an offensive standpoint, and we see teams that aren't that banged up have the same number of struggles. But Jakwan Burton, tip of the cap to you, sir. You got Seth Levitt's game ball on the postgame show for the work you did. We saw him on the sideline getting coached up from Eric Studisville to go play running back up position that he actually since high.
Speaker 2: School college has never played.
Speaker 1: So good for him for getting Miami through a game that has to be played through the end of the fourth quarter by NFL laws and rules. So that was one of the things that most throughout the course of the night and a thirteen to six victory for the Miami Dolphins. Let's go over the numbers here. We'll talk about some general thoughts and some individual evaluations and here from TUA and head coach Mike McDaniel. So the Commanders had twelve firs first downs to Miami's check that the Commanders had seventeen first downs to Miami's twelve. They were five for eighteen on third down, Miami just four for fifteen. The Dolphins did convert two fourth downs, however, both of those on the Tua Tunga Bai Lowa drive to kick off the game. The Commanders were one for two on fourth down. The Commanders did outgain Miami three forty to two eighty eight, and that includes two to twenty nine through the air one eleven on the ground to Miami's two two and eighty six through the air and on the ground, respectively. Both teams turned the football over twice. Both teams had their quarterbacks sacked four times. The Dolphins had six fouls for fifty five yards and possessed the ball for twenty eight and a half minutes in the game. So not really worth going through all the stats in a game like that, but worth the note of record, I think in any game that you cover here as a podcaster and someone that covers this team. But more importantly, what these games are for is for the evaluation of what you might get in a month from now, or check that in three weeks, as when you hear this podcast on Sunday morning or sometime on Sunday, you'll be three weeks away from the opener against the Jacksonville Jaguars. And some things that I liked about what I saw in this game, just the design on both sides of the football. I mentioned on the stadium walk and talk portion, or the second week of doing that walking from my car in the parking lot up to the stadium, that one of the very best things about this team is the ability to scheme things up. And that's offensively and defensively and for the offense. I mean and again like I love, I love measuring this. It's a little bit of tip of the cap to yourself on your own show, talking to yourself at twelve fifty one am in a building where no one's in here, but you know, confirmation of some of the things we talked about all camp long. Devon a chan being you utilized in more of a receiving role, catching a pass up the perimeter against cover two where he's flexed out and beating cornerbacks and safeties. Tua on the quick RPO pop that can flicts defenders in so many ways where his eyes are going one way and there's two routes and two positions, and he can hold those defenders and manipulate them with his eyes and his body position. The deadliness of our quick game and John new Smith's incorporation in the quick game with the jet motion pop pass or Julian hill on little bootleg play action under route, or he catches that thing and turns into a runaway truck on the freeway man. The way we can tilt the field with speed and the counter of power to that. You really see the areas this team went after this offseason, at least one of them to better round out the offense. And truth be told, we haven't really seen the next part of that with Odell Beckham Junior, except for today we kind of did. When Eric Azukama, who has leaping ability, vertical threat ability, high pointing ability, all the things that not many other guys on this roster feature, he kind of gives you some of what OBJ offers in that vertical threat in the presence of getting downfield on top of having reek and waddle. I think you saw a proof of concept in that with Eric Azukama in the game today, and hopefully he can keep going forward with that performance and become a real threat on this team. We'll talk about him more in just a second, but outside of that vertical threat, the three receiver I mean eight chan is a pass receiver and why you draft Jalen Wright to give him more opportunities in that role.
Speaker 2: John Us Smith, I mean you've seen it now.
Speaker 1: I you know, we can't talk about it in training camp, but orbit motion, return motion, jet motion handoffs. It's doing a lot of that stuff I talked about on the postgame show. How I you know, you go back to twenty twenty one when Mike McDaniel, you know, he was a de facto OC slash like Kyle Shanahan's right hand man, but in twenty twenty one became the actual OC and he was the one that was adamant about Deebo Sam going from fourteen carries as a rookie to eight carries as a sophomore to fifty one carries in this third season and his a breakout all Pro fourteen hundred receiving yard, eight billion touchdowns whatever he scored that year in twenty twenty one for the Niners en route to an NFC Championship Game appearance. I thought that that was just super instructive to what we've seen the John Ruis Smith and how he can impact the game and have the flow of his motion pre snap or his ability to lap in the short screen game and catch balls and break tackles off the backside of the formation when it's tilted towards Reekan Waddle. It's really impressive. And then where I think River Craycraft is right now with his game, I think it could all be a glimpse of what's to come. Because that look you got from Craycraft there, and McDaniel talked about the great route that he ran on that play, the release he had in the play, I should say you're going to get that look from anybody that plays that position. When you have Tyreek Hill and Jalen Waddle on the field on the opposite side of the field, they are going to send safety help to the speed side and your backside, your boundary. The short side of the field is going to be a one on one coverage opportunity a lot of the time. And craig Craft sells the inside slant, breaks the outside release and gets that leverage and stack and makes a beautiful catch over the shoulder on a perfect ball from to a tongue of Iloa. That was something we didn't have in the bag last year, whether it was craig Craft or Barrios or Cedrick Wilson. We weren't making those plays last year, So for Craycraft to get in that position I thought was really cool and a really good testament to his skill. So let's go ahead and hear from Tua Tongue of Iloa, who touched on where River Craycraft is right now the best he's seen of the form Washington State Cougar.
Speaker 3: Going on to the third year that I've been able to compete with River and see River, I think this is probably the best training camp that Rivers had. The mental stamina and the mental strength that he has to come out every day and really work. I just think that's where his growth has come from. A lot is the mental aspect of it.
Speaker 1: And then additionally from this offense, you see the way they can manufacture pockets in the short game. The very first three that Scalar Thompson made was an errant deep ball where he had space to throw that thing out there for Brotheran Sanders, but he threw it too far back inside off the hash when he had the defender stacked on his back heading towards the perimeter, and also had him a Leake Washington wide open on the crosser goal. In the other direction. It just looked like our offense in general, though, whether it was two Oz with the ones or Skylar with the ones. With those you know, impactful pre snap plays where the motion and the ball quickness gets out and makes the offensive line completely irrelevant in the play. It's weird how that works. Or the play where they get a two man shot call in the route concept with max protection where they give Scalar Thompson a a whole century's worth of time to throw from back there. I couldn't find the word it's twelve fifty six am. I just think it looked like you're going to see in the regular season, at least a glimpse of it, and good execution and doing that when you had critical or key parts of the offense actually on the field for the Dolphins. I also thought the defensive system around the two linebackers Jordan Brooks and David Long Junior looked like I thought it was going to. Was there a play where Brooks did not come downhill on a blitz, I don't remember, except for the second drive, he might have had a couple, but the first drive he was mugged up and he was rushing and he was setting picks and he was basically putting himself into blockers to create runs and chances for other guys. I can't wait to watch it on tape because the way he played the game and how fast he played and how physical and connected. I mean, the way that those guys speed. It's the pillar, the pillars of this team, the words that are up on the wall in the building. Fast, physical, and elite technique. That's those three players, two players to a t, or those those two players fit those three things to a t. It's twelve fifty seven, Am, and I don't think it's an accident that Joe Barry gets the call as linebackers coach and run game coordinator. And you see where he's been in the linebackers he's had in Green Bay previously and Tampa going back to you know, the Derek Brooks day, like he wants guys to can play vertical upfield and downfield and siling the sideline in those instances, the cover two, the Tampa two pipe linebacker running vertical down the field to take away seam shots like yeah, that's where he came from and cut his teeth in that cloth. But he still kind of utilizes players that have similar skill sets because it expands how much space the defense can cover, and those guys' ability both Brooks and Long to impact the game as rushers but also peel off into coverage is exactly what you need. There was a screen where Brooks went and took on two blockers and freed up d Long. I just am very, very excited about what I think are two of the most instinctive linebackers in the game, two of the fastest linebackers in the game, and two of the most physical linebackers in the game, and what they do for the system. And to that point, I thought we saw plenty of the same pillars that we've long speculated on this podcast of what Anthony Weaver's defense might look like. You know, the Cam Smith pass breakup was a very well timed slot blitz from I think it was Cater Kohu. I could be wrong on who that was. When you know you're going to get the quarterback hot, it helps the defensive back commit to a specific route. I know they're I'm pressed, they're probably gonna go vertical. I'm off, They're probably gonna throw a short route and I can rally up and tackle. There's not gonna be double moves. That forces you to play with hesitancy. It allows everyone to play fast and smart and see it and go get ball. And there was another stick check down where Cam was in that off cloud position where he rallied up and made a tackle short of the sticks on third and long. And then yeah, the speed off the edge, like that's obvious, but you saw real glimpses of that tonight with those linebackers and with the edge rushers and Mow and Chop both causing issues. More on those guys in the individuals. I just think we got more confirmation tonight on things that we've talked about since February and March with the coaching additions and free agent acquisitions into April with a draft, and I'm really excited about what I'm seeing in that regard. I also was a fan of the short, poochy laser kickoffs, whatever the hell you want to call those things, and the way we covered them, because we had four kickoffs in this game, and their kickoffs or their drives after kick returns began at the twenty, the twenty two, the twenty three, and the twenty three yard line, and last week in the preseason across the National Football League, the average starting field position for all the teams was their own twenty nine yard line, so every single play was at least six yards behind that, and the average was more like eight yards behind that. A couple of things I didn't think were great. Not a lot of good surge in the running game, with some guys that are going to play some time, and notably you know, Kendall Lamb and Austin Jackson on the offensive line are probably gonna play this year, along with you know, Rob Jones getting some time out there, and Lea Mikenberger center opposed to being at right garb he has been most of camp. I thought there was just a lack of surge. And you know, I'm gonna complain about the complaints about the offensive line and how much it's going to, you know, make this team not be able to click, even though it's you have two years of proof of concept. That's not correct. But I will, Bill Cater, I will bend the knee at the idea that where you get your shortcomings from the way this team is built philosophically is going to be in short yardage and when you have true dropback situations on third and longs or in obvious passing situations where you can get exposed on one on one matchups. But my counterpoint is that you don't see very many of those situations, and when you have John Smith and Odell Beckham and Devon Hian in the passing game, with Jalen Wright in the additions, you have there that can help you get out of those situations by being more effective in the other situations, and it gives you more answers when you are in those situations. I also thought defensively, it was kind of annoying how unable they were to stop Jeff Driscoll from running around.
Speaker 2: For instance.
Speaker 1: You know he's not a running quarterback, but he made it look like it, even when Daniel Jones stumbling bumbling all the way through the secondary and outran both Zee Vandenberg and Duke Riley, so that was kind of just annoying. I thought Brian Robinson's ability to break tackles and the kind of slow where run fits early on wasn't great either. I'm excited to go home and watch that on tape and kind of see what it actually looked like, because live it looked bad. But I want to get a better look at it. Just two things that I wasn't pleased with the overall surge and the offensive line and the running game and short yardage and really overall all night long, and then the inabilities top throw on the other side of the football against a commander's team and Brian Robinson, let's go ahead and take our first break right there, come back on the other side, talk a why the players it stood out the players that I thought missed in this one. That's all Next Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by autotation.
Speaker 4: Probably the least amount of nerves that he's had the first time stepping out on the football field. I thought it was just us executing some some of our Day one concepts and and he you know, didn't force any issues. I really liked his decisions. I like this ball placement. I thought he did a good job and his I think eleven reps. So it was nice to see him out there and connecting some passes. I know he was fired up.
Speaker 1: That was head coach Mike McDaniel talking about his quarterback playing his first action since the shoot the playoff game back in Kansas City. In terms of playing a live actual game. Tula goes five for five on the day, fifty one yards a touchdown pass, the only touchdown in the entire game. No Reek, no Waddle, no te Stead, no win, no Aaron Brewer, and by the way, just a casual, perfect drive with a perfect dot off the top to start that drive. Also had a little no look action on that first play of the game with the quick best ball handling in the league to River cray Craft, and then finish it off with the touchdown pass to cray Craft on fourth down with a just perfectly perfectly located football there from Twua, who played on time in rhythm, mitigated pressure on a couple of plays as well, just at everything that you've come to expect from him. And the part of that McDaniel SoundBite that I really thought was interesting was the limited amount of jitters that Tua experienced or displayed early in this game, because that's something that he's kind of talked about and you know, they've you know, bandied about it between Tua and McDaniel and getting two down himself in certain spots. I just wonder how much of Tua having a full commitment from the organization and the coaching staff and everyone knowing this is his team, how much that might kind of elevate his game, and the pushback on that I might be, well, he shouldn't care about that stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, human beings are human beings. And I think that his.
Speaker 1: Being accepted by all those people I just mentioned are going to go a long way into his confidence. And when you play confidence, you play better football. And we are seeing the fruits of that labor, if you will, And I am very excited for you guys to all get a chance to see what I've seen this entire summer and back in spring. A better version of Tua and being even better than last year's quarterback that led the NFL in passing yards and better than the twenty twenty two quarterback led the NFL and passer rating. He just looks like I expected a top seven or eight quarterback in the National Football League. And just a quick note right here, we're gonna play some sound from Tua. I saw this on the on the tweet that I sent out of Tua coming out with the Dolphins lineup out of the tunnel tonight. If Liam's playing center, you better not play Tua. I just every year, you know, I say that I say, can't we learn from the previous year, And I just generally think it's not happening a lot across like most fan bases, And it looks like that'll be the case again this year because I saw that argument, like if so and so is not playing, you can't play to a.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: We just saw it. Why it doesn't matter at least in this instance. But whatever, I have some thoughts on that, but I'll save my entire rant. I won't use it on a preseason game where they executed one drive. I'll wait until they come out and tear teams up and go on another record's heading pace and score the most points in the league and the most yards again, and then I'll go ahead and do that rant once again. But even Tua is tired of hearing about how you're doing this when certain guys aren't available.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's not the first time we've not had those guys in there, and we've played it and we've scored. You know, would it be good to have those guys. It'd be great to have those guys. It opens up our game plan for a lot of deep things, and it opens up the run game as well. With the two shelves that we get with those guys in, but outside of that, football is football. With whoever you got in there. You got to call the play, you got to see it, envision it, and then you go through your keys. If it's one high, this is how I'm going to read it. If it's too high, this how I'm going to read it, regardless of who's in.
Speaker 1: I thought Mike White played pretty good in this game as well, and there was some pushback late in the game. I saw some comments about it. But what you saw from Mike White was the best command of the offense. I thought the best playing in rhythm and on time of the offense that we've seen from a non to a quarterback now in games in training camp in August or July, and an Ota is back in the spring. That version of what we saw from Mike White was the best version of any quarterback besides to a you've gotten so far because of the command, because of the pocket management. He made a play while he was in the grasp and got out of that a nice see it and rip it throw to Roucie before he cleared the linebacker. Had one just like that later on in the game where he threw it before the linebacker had been cleared by the crossing route and put it on time and in rhythm for a nice run. After the catch, he had that deep shot to Eric Azukama that was right on the money over the outside shoulder, had another deep shot that should have been caught by Mike Harley who was wide open on the sideline after once again he broke pocket, that broke the contain in the pocket and got on the perimeter and threw a deep ball and it was dropped. I just think it was the fastest we've seen a quarterback play this year besides Tua, and not that it was super fast, but it was fast enough to win, and that is all I need from him. I thought River Craycraft was fantastic, as he's been all camp long. I'm gonna go ahead and set my watch to him right here as I talk about that a lot. You can do that with this guy because he's always where he's supposed to be. And again I mentioned it early on, but just how valuable the ability to beat that side one on one coverage, sell the inside slant, get on top of the outside level or on top of the inside leverage with an outside release stack him, make the catch, put the feet in bounds. What a beautiful play by the former Washington State kug Go Koog's go creat craft. I thought Braylen Sanders looked nice in this game. Had a nice off frame catch on third to down one by one on one back shoulder fade to the boundary. The ball was high and away as it can be from Skyler at times. I quite liked the body control and the ability to make a contested play in a one on one situation. He's done that in practice, I think he's failed to do it in game situations. Nice to see it happen here for him in a game. And that little move on the screen pass that got called back on the Willie snead hoole. Two defenders, one blocked, one unblocked. He made a miss. That's all you can do. Speaking of Azukama earlier, that reverse field run, I mean, that's what we've seen from this guy at Texas Tech, what we saw in that first preseason in camp, saw it in the first couple of games last year before he got injured. I'm kind of buying back in man after seeing that today, because that was awesome. That double move in the slot to the field was awesome. Again, a vertical stretch element that he brings. If he can be healthy and be a guy that can impact your offense. Again, if this offense has that with reak and waddle, things get so interesting. And outside of OBJ, I think Azukama is the best on the team at that exact trait.
Speaker 2: John U.
Speaker 1: Smith here's one. Now here's a guy that I've been talking about in this vein for a while. I mean the run after the catch, the blocking hit, that key block on the slip screen to eight Chan. He's a sure handed target that knows when and where to hook up. Lewis Riddick tweeted about this during the game. How big of a fan he was of the addition of John HU Smith And on top of all the stuff we talked about already and what you've seen from John who in the game and the carries and the running guys over like his ability to just know where he's.
Speaker 2: Supposed to be.
Speaker 1: If I can go empty, if I can go twenty twelve personnel, twenty one personnel, attach him into the line of scrimmage and spread out the options with wreaking, wattle on OBJ and all all of a sudden they can't play man coverage because I have too much speed in the field and now I need a third and four conversion, And you have to worry about the deep balls. And John who goes and runs a little hook up over the ball and it's an easy pitching catch in a sauce spot in the zone.
Speaker 2: For a first down.
Speaker 1: They didn't have that last year they had that, And John why on top of a whole bunch of other stuff as you'll hear here here here from Mike McDaniel and to a tongue by Lowa, it was.
Speaker 4: Cool to have him out there. Uh, you know, I think he brings physicality and a guy that really enjoys having the football in his hands and can do some really cool stuff with that. You know, I think there's there there's times when your offense is clicking that you know, defenses will really just try to defend space and and really, uh, the field is expanded, so to speak with with where defenders are defending in those situations, Having fast, aggressive playmakers with the ball in their hands, you know, they can take advantage of those types of things. So I think he's a great addition to to our team. And you know, I think there's a multitude of ways that you can use players, and uh, he's no exception.
Speaker 3: He's used in multiple ways. As you guys have seen. We had given him a jet sweep. Uh, he blocks. I mean he's a you know, we look at him sort of as a as a yak monster. I mean he catches the ball and you know he can get some yards after the catch. So he's very versatile and what we can do with him, and you know, we're just slowly, slowly finding finding things to to do with. You know, guys like.
Speaker 1: New Devon ahen Man in a role as a receiver that that cover two turkey hole beater. You love to see that that is the exact element of this offense you want to see. And teams talk all the time about using receivers and splits out wide.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: Teams don't do it very often, but they have it in Devon Hien. He's gonna playmaker as a receiver this year. Chris Brooks sucks to see him go down like he did the power on that big run. He reminded me of Ronnie Brown on the long touchdown run over the Patriots, the final one in the two thousand and eight Wildcat game, and yes, I saw that highlight this morning, which every time it comes up on my Twitter account, I watch it every single time. But he got into space and kind of set that tackler up where he could kind of make a move at the point of attack and then drop the shoulder run him over for a fifty eight yard run. He was impressive. He's done that a couple times now in the preseason and then against the Bronco was last year in Week three. Thought Rob Jones had the key block on that fourth down on the opening drive. I want to go back and watch the offensive line again, but I thought he had some good plays in there, especially on that particular play. Jack Driscoll had the big seal on the Chris Brooks run. I want to go back and look at more of him. I thought Patrick Paul had a rough night. He was comfortable and passed pro early until he wasn't and even when he wasn't right, sometimes he got some wins. But that overset and then reached back inside was a pretty good referendum on the technique and where his feet are in his hand. His eyes just needs to kind of, you know, kind of lock it in and get better and develop in that area, and I think that he will. Defensively, I thought Chop and Mo were awesome that sack where Mohammed Kamara crossed face and had the low pad level and ran the tackle right into the quarterback. And if you watch the play on the other side of the formation, Chop is coming off the edge and forces the quarterback to run away right into Mo. Chop also had the negative four yard play on the TfL where he came flying off line of scrimmage into the backfield. Also greeted the kickoff return man at the fourteen yard line on a kickoff coverage play. His speed, it plays man, It's fun to watch.
Speaker 2: I was supposed to take a break right there.
Speaker 1: Let's go ahead and bump the break right now and come back and do the rest of the hits, talk about the misses all of that. Next Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by it I Don't Nation, picking up segment number three talking about a Dolphins thirteen to six win over the Washington Commanders. When we go back to the defense here, I mentioned him earlier, but just Brooks and long for Brooks, a tone setter of multiplier, the way he opens things up for others guys, the speed and block beating, getting downhill range side to side. He is a hell of a football player and I cannot wait to watch him come Jacksonville Week one. David Long and how well Long pairs with him, who was so physical, got dinged up, left the tent and came back to the sidelines. So I think he was okay, but I just love watching him for the first time with Jordan Brooks. I cannot wait to see these guys become in the regular season. Channing Tendall, That sack was like an actual pass rush move, like speed upfield. The bat comes up to greet you, you step under him and bend the ark and get after the quarterback. I think that Tendall's put himself on this football team in addition to all the work he's done on special teams. His speed is going to play in this defense as a backup rotational guy and a guy that can get downfield on special teams coverage units.
Speaker 2: Cater Kohu.
Speaker 1: Does he ever miss an open field tackle on a screen? There was one that I thought he was going to miss, but he ended up tripping the guy up at the very end of it, and if there's a blocker there, he always seems to beat that guy too. I also thought he made a really nice heady play when he was in cover three and fell off the coverage and Nick Needham turned his guy free in the interior and he came over the top and challenged the ball on the seam. It was caught, but good instincts and good job challenging that reception there by cater Coohu. I thought Cam Smith had a really nice night tonight. He got beat on that Terry McLaurin route where he got shook in some short space and then missed the tackle, but the pass breakup was textbook where he stayed in phase, got his head back to the football and they'll allow contact if you do that, and by doing that he's able to kind of armbar the receiver and ride him into the sideline make a super athletic diving pass breakup. He also tackled well in space beyond the McLaurin play. Seemed comfortable and if things start to kind of click for him, that could be a big addition to the secondary and that confidence could go a long way as well. Marcus may I thought really had a nice night, coming from depth downhill and making plays or going sideline to the sideline. I just love his range and striking as a tackler. He makes for a nice big nickel option or a dimeback if you want to go that way as well. I thought Storm Duck had some nice plays. Got on the opening kick off, made a nice pass breakup on a deep shot where he stayed on top of the post and never gave in and eventually broke it up. He's made plays all along the way here in training camp. Elijah Campbell got flagged on that tackle on the punt team, but that was an amazing play, and he was also the first down there a couple of other times. He is going to be probably a special team's ace, if not a captain. Jordan Colbert made some really nice plays. Had a big tackle in space in that third third quarter, and then made a play on a screen in the fourth quarter. Playing fast is the number one thing I look for in these games, and he checked that box nicely. Then he had to splash play with the force fumble, got off a block, put his hat on the football and winds up ripping it free with an assist from Curtis Bolton on the force fumble, and then you know, we'll do a little bit more on this in the game on Monday of some emissions and stuff. But I want to look at some other things on the team that I thought stood out, which I don't have yet, but some things that I thought went the other direction. I thought Skylar Thompson had a very rough game where he was bailing on clean pockets, missing open players with inaccurate throws, waiting too long, the timing was off, and we heard from coach after the game talk about this quarterback battle between Mike and Skaler for the backup job. Let's go ahead and throw it to Mike McDaniel, Like.
Speaker 4: All position battles, just just out of the sake of pure competition. You know, when you have opportunities left right in front of you, you For me, I hesitate to make any sort of grandiose judgment.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: I think there's opportunities to compete, and when you have those left before you make decisions that you you let those play out. We have been very intentional with our opportunities that we've given Skyler. I think he's uh, he's made some plays, he's had some stuff that he that he knows he can get better at, and then you're trying to make sure that you can try to balance out the competition with some opportunities for for Mike. But you know, I think that's it's progressive. I'm not I'm not great to like throw people off the sense. It's really a true belief that I have that you just let you don't try to determine how things are going to play out. You let people take control and and it will be a very important week of practice and another game and we'll let those play out. But they I think there's been pros and cons with with everyone's play really. Uh and but I did I did think that Skylar did some good stuff. He had some opportunities and he was able to do some good stuff, and there's some stuff that he could have done better.
Speaker 2: Other misses in this game.
Speaker 1: I thought, you know, Braxon, that was a tough catch in the back of the end zone. But that's not really what I'm putting him in this category. For just watching him run routes, there's just never any separation. That's a tough way to make a living, especially in this offense. Willie Snead had another bad play. He had a bad hole that wiped out a nice brother and Sanders went after the catch. I mentioned Patrick Paul had a rough night. Just can't do that, you know, over set and get your quarterback killed if you want to play right away, and he's not going to soo. He had some time to do that, but it was a rough night for him. I thought Lester Cotton same things as last year. Zero pushing the running game, coming off of blocks way too early, no second level climb, kind of tire of seeing that. DeShawn Han got taken off the ball a heck of a lot tonight, which is a guy that's gonna play a lot of snaps for us, So that was a little bit of a concern. I thought the same was true of Isaiah Mack and Brandon Peely at times, although Peely had the sack and had a nice bounce back. I thought Duke Riley had some rough run fits and couldn't run down Draft driscoll. Driscoll on that play. Zeke Vandenberg to me, was a little bit slow to get to spots as well and coverage in the running game. And I'll go ahead and acknowledge this, but I better not see anybody getting mad about it. The fourth quarter interior offensive line play with Matthew Jones, Andrew Meyer and Chase and Hines.
Speaker 2: I mean, it is what it is.
Speaker 1: That's you know, three udfas up there or two udfas and a guy that was cut last week. So I just can't get too upset about that. But those are some things that took out in a negative manner. I still believe this is one of the best teams in the league. I thought we saw that early on, and we're gonna see more of that. We go forward here and we'll continue to just rant until it's proven right coming the regular season.
Speaker 2: So but you go, that's the podcast. We'll come back on Monday.
Speaker 1: We'll talk a little bit more about the game as well as the practice that happens here on Monday. But in the meantime, you all please be sure to subscribe to the podcast on Apple, Spotify, set your tune in where you get your podcast from. Go ahead and leave us a rating, leave us a review. You can follow me on social at Winkfold NFL. You can follow the team at Miami Dolphins. Check out the fish Tank podcast with Seth and Juice. The YouTube channel for media availabilities, Dolphins Today, drive time content, and so much more, and last but not least, Miami Dolphins dot Com. Until next time, finns up on Cameron, Daddy, Come and hope