Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe Gatty, Armstrong and Jetty.
Speaker 2: And Armstrong Gutty Strong not live from Studio c Armstrong and Getty. We're off for taking a break.
Speaker 3: Come on enjoy this carefully curated Armstrong and Getty replay. And as long as we're off, perhaps you'd like to catch up on podcasts, subscribe to Armstrong and Getty on demand or one more thing.
Speaker 4: We think you'll enjoy it, sir, So if you.
Speaker 2: Have a new feature you've been mentioning Katie, where do people find Katie's corner?
Speaker 5: Go to Armstrong Getty dot com. It's across the top.
Speaker 2: Okay, And you decided to spell it with a K.
Speaker 5: I did because you both had conniption fits because I spelled it like a regular person.
Speaker 2: Feel that may make a big deal. And how do you spell your name? Katie is with a wire and I E an I E. Okay. Do you put a heart above the eye? No? Yeah, I did when I was like twelve.
Speaker 3: I'm cute Katie's corner as woman you're talking to's corner with a heart over the eye and a K for a corner.
Speaker 2: It sounds pretty good to me. On et Sea to sell your Doiley's you make it home.
Speaker 5: I will say there is a restaurant in San Ramon in the Bay Area in California that's called Katie's Corner, and they have the best eggs Benedict.
Speaker 2: I'll write that down.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it's spelled Katie's with a Y, corner with a K.
Speaker 2: I take breakfast places more seriously than any other kind of restaurant. Love a good breakfast place.
Speaker 5: Oh it's hard, it's hard to mess up breakfast, I feel.
Speaker 2: But man, the good, the great from the good. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like they say about pizza and sex. I mean it's gonna be fine from the male.
Speaker 4: Point of view.
Speaker 2: If you had sex and you burnt the roof of your mouth, that's no good.
Speaker 4: What are you.
Speaker 2: Doing but breakfast?
Speaker 3: Yes, to achieve a solid B is practically effort true. But to get up to the AA plus ranking, then you're talking some really good food.
Speaker 4: I mean crazy good.
Speaker 3: I mean you get you spend twenty dollars on your breakfast, you have had deliciousness on par with a seventy dollars meal for dinner.
Speaker 2: Tell me, I'm wrong. No, that's absolutely right, that's absolutely true. You know I want to go to Katie's. Yeah, to get today, to get the best steak, you're gonna have to spend one hundred bucks. To get the best breakfast, you can spend twenty bucks. So you're right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, breakfast all day. That's got to be my new restaurant. But I'll spell it with a like Oh no, I gotta have a clever spelling, spell.
Speaker 5: It like an adult.
Speaker 3: Shoe.
Speaker 6: I remember you're going to have a restaurant called Walk this Way and you were in spell at w Ok.
Speaker 4: That's right. Yeah. One of my many ideas.
Speaker 2: Ye Chinese rest breakfast over Chinese. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Maybe I'll just have a whole food court.
Speaker 3: I'll like offer a suite of restaurants, like I'll buy out a strip mall and I'll have Walk this Way and then I'll have breakfast all day.
Speaker 4: And then I don't know, I'll come up with some more.
Speaker 3: Ideas, probably not as great as those two, it'll be good.
Speaker 4: Ah.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: Speaking of which, one final side before we get into the horrifying Ray Pee story from Nature and it's.
Speaker 2: Worse than you think. Okay, lady, lady.
Speaker 3: So, my old friend Drew, who worked in Mexico for several years, a.
Speaker 5: Sombrero.
Speaker 2: It's not catching. No, have you ever been to Mexico.
Speaker 4: Not everybody wears the sombrero.
Speaker 2: You raises culture, not a costume.
Speaker 3: Anyway, but he became aware of and this is very popular in rural parts of Mexisco, especially or people of of or not rich. Discatta it is the disc from a plow that they just change a little bit with welding and sometime it's referred to as the cowboy walk in the United States, and it's essentially an outdoor you put it over a fire walk to cook up your meat and taters and vegetables or whatever. And Drew would make this for a big party once a yar or so, and it's just absolutely fantastic, and partly because we're going to get our kitchen room modeled if the permitting ever comes through. I bought one, but I need like really good discatta recipes, including if people were like, dude, just go to a Chinese cookbook and that's what you do, or put anything in there.
Speaker 4: You can't screw it up. I'm just curious. I want to make the most out.
Speaker 3: Of it, but it's the food is delicious, stew is in its own juice.
Speaker 2: The fact that it was on a disc was a farm implement. Does that help the food or is that just.
Speaker 3: Is that I think in the same way, like like a cast iron frying pan cooks food a little differently, and you don't like wash it with soap, you'd wipe it out and it cures with the oils and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: It's one of those things. Why are you looking at me like that?
Speaker 5: Because you're like, oh, man, I just need some recipes. I wish there was something like a like.
Speaker 2: A box electronic and you could.
Speaker 5: Type in de scotta recipes and then there would be lists.
Speaker 4: You know what, girl, I wish there was like this thing. It's like a box.
Speaker 3: I don't know, some way to put letters and words into the box and then.
Speaker 2: Ask it I want stuff.
Speaker 3: People have actually chided, I'm not gonna go out into the freaking internet.
Speaker 4: I've already done that.
Speaker 2: It's like, I don't know anyway, but you're not wrong. So here's the deal.
Speaker 3: A locally famous sea otter in Canada, and you ask how does an otter become famous?
Speaker 2: Well, do you know honors? Have you seen honors. They're cute as can be. Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: You ever go to the Monterey Bay Aquarium or the aquarium most convenient to you where you live. They're unbelievably charming and charismatic. And Ali the Otter, oh, he even has a cute name, has his own Facebook fan page, Chuck full of adorable photos.
Speaker 2: But here's the deal. So, like that squirrel, Yeah, like Peanut the squirrel.
Speaker 3: Oh that the State of New York killed for being a conservative squirrel?
Speaker 2: Right right?
Speaker 3: He saved his nuts for winter. He didn't like go to the government and say, Oh, it's winner, I'm hungry.
Speaker 4: You gotta give me nuts.
Speaker 2: It's not my fault. Oh he's gaved them like a squirrel. Should they killed him for it?
Speaker 4: Anyway?
Speaker 3: So Ali is a sea otter, and like sea otters, sometimes he hangs out in rivers. But he's the only only see otter in the immediate area. And evidently, unlike my people, the Neanderthals that would get with Homo sapiens and you know, make sweet caveman love, sea otters don't get with with uh usually with river otters, huh okay, unless they murder them first and then have sex with their corpses. Whoa okay, says wildlife educator Molly Cameron. He's the only sea otter in the immediate area. So the assumption is that he does this. He kills the river otters then sort of had his has his way with them for multiple days to release the sexual tension of being the only sea otter around. So ish sea otter snuff films a regular thing? Or is it just this one aberant sea otter that's not well? The nature expert says, it's known to happen. I mean, they don't put a number on it.
Speaker 2: But Ali the otter.
Speaker 3: Oh look at him, is suspected of murdering at least twenty river otters over the last decade and having sex.
Speaker 4: With their corpses.
Speaker 2: Barbaric, it is, sir. So for days? Do they still have the website for the necrophiliac lord?
Speaker 3: He will carry his victims around, they say, according to this nature educator, like a Teddy Bear for days.
Speaker 2: So it's like a Jeffrey Dahmer sea otter. It's very much like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wow, says CBC News. That's uh, that's the network up there in Canada. They have TVs now by the way. Uh, and they will have all the modern conveniences when they become our fifty first state. But CBC News talking to another ottero researcher, male seatters without access to females become sexually frustrating and frustrated, and the results often aren't pretty. Yeah, he's what sometimes is referred to as a satellite male. He's sitting there just hoping he's made a territory that's going to have females in it, and it doesn't, so instead he murders the innocent river oppers and then does what I.
Speaker 2: Said in cell sea otter exactly.
Speaker 5: So I'm looking at an article on vox and apparently they're referring here to otters as the necrophiliac serial killing fur monsters of the sea.
Speaker 3: Okay, some that's a good phrase right there.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that they.
Speaker 5: Rape baby seals and hold others pups hostage for food.
Speaker 3: I was just gonna mention that twenty ten scientific paper documented cases of forced copulation between male sea otters in California and young arbor seals.
Speaker 2: This, this is wrong. They can't the baby rapers. They can't be that cute and act like this. That's an interesting stance. Well, like somebody who fills carneather king that is that is interesting. So I am a third of the way through the book Sapiens. I keep jumping back and forth in it, and he explains in that book what's unique about humans and they're evil from the animal world, taking into the account that sometimes monkey's murder and dolphins rape, and then you get the sea otter thing. It's something to do with animals generally do it to gain something, as opposed to the way people sometimes just do it for to be cruel. Usually in the animal world it's like to take over a you know, a chunk of the jungle, or drive them out of it or whatever, or to get your odd rocks off in this case.
Speaker 3: Now there are cases of dolphins doing what really looks like toying with their victims before they end them. But in general, though, I'm sure he's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. I don't remember. I'll have to find that again, because I thought it was really interesting you, So, does anybody have a lighter or more humorous note?
Speaker 3: Tend this with If I'd been thinking ahead, I would have come prepared with them.
Speaker 5: I apologize if after hearing that you want to hand feed an otter, you can go to SeaQuest in fulsome because I've done that there. Or you can hand feed them. They stick their little arms through a hole in the glass and they grab the shrimp out of your hand.
Speaker 2: And that is that's got to be cute as heck, it's so cute. But now that I know they do this, barbaric our otters are cute. They have the advance and some animals just have the advantage of being cute. Wow.
Speaker 3: So but I mean they murder and then have sex with the corpse, but they're cute.
Speaker 2: Oh boy.
Speaker 6: Don't forget when animals attack, which was on Fox at.
Speaker 2: The most horrifying comedy attack ever caught.
Speaker 6: On tap if you remember that, that's true story, Katie, and also on Family Guide when they advertise the Fox show Fast Animals, Slow Children another comedy classic.
Speaker 1: Yes, Jack Armstrong and Joe, The Armstrong and Getty Show, Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty, The Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 2: I guarantee I'm not the only person who's had this happen. They recommend that if you're hiring well practically anybody really, but I'm hiring sitters in a college town tends to be college girls. Everybody recommends check their social media to try to get an idea, you know, whether or not you you know, you check their references, you check their social media, that sort of stuff. Yeah, this has happened multiple times where I'm hiring the college girl, I meet her, she comes to my house dressed in normal clothes and everything like that, like a normal person. And they and in this case, they've turned out to be incredibly re sponsible. Great, everything you'd want sitters. But I go to the social media and I see them in ways that I don't need to know that is there. There should be I don't know how you would do this. There should be some sort of social media. This is for the people who want to hire me social media for the people that want to date me. This is my social media. There should be two different versions. I don't like to see you in a thong bikini with your back toward me bent over in the pool, and then I have to agree with you. Do you have those links handy, No, Joe, stupid, don't do that. I'm not criticizing it. That's fine. You're a twenty one year old girl. That's what you're supposed to do with your life and whatever. I guess now.
Speaker 3: Showing your naked ass is what you're supposed to be doing.
Speaker 2: The thong.
Speaker 5: I have been a twenty one year old girl and did not do that.
Speaker 3: Well, some do, some don't, but again I'm not judging that at all. Incredibly responsible and professionally dressed, am I house.
Speaker 2: I only know this because I went to the social media, but that's what they recommend, and there was nothing on there that was like a red flag in terms of wanting to hire them or whatever, and all the reference was good and they've been good, so I have no complaints. OK, It's just I feel weird that I've seen your ass. Just words me.
Speaker 3: Out that's on you that says You've said that sounds like you prom I think.
Speaker 5: This would make it more comfortable. Just casually bring it up in conversations. So what about that picture?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Confront them with pictures. Yeah, I'd be like, so what is this? Where were you? And why this is it? Hey?
Speaker 4: That looks like a really cool beach.
Speaker 2: Where is that that? Yeah, that's the way I do it. That's the way I do it. That lamp that lamp over there? Do you have any idea where I would get that because that's a cool lamp.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that would fit in beautifully.
Speaker 5: Here you can see like an inch of the beach.
Speaker 2: It's just all ask where was that? This sand looks very nice and solid. Yeah, you're right. Not everybody goes that far, but it's fairly common though. I mean I've had a quite a few over the last five years. It's pretty damn common. Certainly a bikini shot that's almost guaranteed, almost guaranteed, you're gonna see them in a bikini. And well, I find that weird.
Speaker 3: My dad never saw any of we had like two babysitters my whole life, but I guarantee you my dad never saw pictures of them in a bikini. Yeah, you know, I have been on beaches, both coasts, various lakes, Tahoe, et cetera.
Speaker 2: And yeah, that's sort of.
Speaker 3: Where the tiny bikini that's butt floss whatever is is fairly common.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I wouldn't make a big deal of that.
Speaker 3: I didn't, and I'm not. I just think it's weird that I've seen this. I wish there was a way I could not I.
Speaker 5: Think wearing the bikini versus taking a photo of yourself in it and putting it on the internet is two very different.
Speaker 4: Katie.
Speaker 2: Let me let me step in here, please.
Speaker 3: We have a society that overvalues the woman's physical form, and so young women get the idea that that's an important measure of their womanhood. And if they happen to be like what's the term crazy hot and in the best shape they'll ever be in in their lives, they might want to, you know, display.
Speaker 2: That little you're blaming in the patriarchy, I am, I am quite.
Speaker 5: Quite so, yes, yeah, yeah, I mean i'd like you'll.
Speaker 2: See it overthrown guilty as charged.
Speaker 5: There may be a bikini or two photos out there of you, uh huh, yeah, but I was twenty one and I'm never gonna look like that again.
Speaker 2: So exactly. Yeah. Well, like I said, I'm not condemning it. It just seems like, well, it's an interaction that didn't used to exist, but between employer employee when it comes to hiring, consider no doubt.
Speaker 5: I have another question. Is it a photo with intention to be provocative or is this just like she was on the beach with her friends.
Speaker 2: Hey, we're I'd say it's more of the latter than the former. He can't help but be provocative. You're hot in a thong. Yeah, I mean, it's just no matter what you're doing, provoke diseasy. You could be throwing out your taxes. It's still kind of provocative. Actually, that's double hot to me. Wait a minute, you look like that and you're good at doing taxes. Here's a ring.
Speaker 4: Just think about it.
Speaker 2: Quick question for you. What if you happen to miss this unbelievable radio program.
Speaker 3: The answer is easy, friends, Just download our podcast, Armstrong and Getty on demand. It's the podcast version of the broadcast show, available anytime, any day every single podcast platform known demand.
Speaker 2: Download it now. Armstrong and Getty on Demand.
Speaker 1: Arm Strong, Heyety, The Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 3: Wall Street suffering it's worst day of the year, the Dow closing nearly nine hundred points down after the President refused to rule that.
Speaker 2: The US could be heading into a recession. Uh yeah, a lot of negative headlines about Wall Street yesterday. I'm always interested in that. In that a lot, a lot, a lot of Americans aren't in the stock market, and it's it's I'd like to know what percentage of the audience that watches mainstream evening news is in the stock market.
Speaker 4: Other are you including four one ks in that?
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe not. I don't know investment, but certainly the average person watching the evening news is not into the daily ups and downs of the stock market. True, they're in the the long you know, the long game, and and and very little context ever around any of this stuff anytime. And I'm not just like now, just always there's almost no context. Biggest point, drop whatever, Sometimes they use points because it's more dramatic. Sometimes percentage whatever, and to go back and forth, and it's all very it's designed to make it sound as great or as awful as possible, to make it more exciting. But anyway, New York christ and on. This has been a big down for the last week and a half or whatever since the Tarif announcement. No doubt about that. New York Post headline today, buckle up Nasga, DAX suffers biggest loss in three years, Dal falls eight ninety after Trump recession dodge, after Trump didn't absolutely just flat out say no to the recession question. It's amazing how much news that made that one answer. And he knew that, like I said yesterday, he's aware of that, and he doubles down on Air Force one. Essentially, the significance of it is he didn't say we will do everything we need to to avoid a recession.
Speaker 3: That's why that's significant, right, which gets to what we were saying last hour. I wish he would give some sort of speech where he explained what his long game is and why I think he can get more people on board or calmed down. I think that is so obviously a great idea. It is shocking to me it hasn't happened yet.
Speaker 2: Drudge hates Trump, but his headlines economy cracks, stocks lose four trillion dollars. Oh, that's one of the things about the news reporting. I feel like it's for people who don't understand that that money didn't actually disappear, never to come back. It's that the stock is down and yeah, adds up to four trillion, But unless you sold yesterday, you didn't actually lose the money, and it could be back up in two weeks and nothing happened.
Speaker 3: I mean, well, and you quote unquote lost the money from if you would have sold it three weeks ago. So it's all, yeah, imaginary, it's not even on paper, it's in the ether.
Speaker 2: Any who so, getting to Mark Alprin's newsletter today, I think he is a fair arbiter of these sorts of things, and he gets a lot of He has a lot of connections in left and right, Republican and Democrat. He wrote this Monday, when job boning by all Trump economic advisors could not stop a market selloff or deter business leaders, economic analysis analysts, Paul's and Trump supporters from calling, texting, and emailing me to say the sky is falling, and it is in their collective view explicitly and unambiguously Trump's fault. In my career, I don't recall anything quite like Mundy as Whoosh, Team Trump lost the confidence of a bunch of key actors in one fell swoop. Thought that was interesting that behind.
Speaker 3: The scenes a lot of people that normally really really big on Trump werecalling Mark Aperton saying what the hell is he doing? The business world, the American business world, was absolutely confident that Trump would slash regulations and make permanent tax cuts and that would be his main thrust. This whole call it protectionism, you know, seeking a new global norm for trade, whatever you want to call it, is surprising to them and it's led to a great deal of uncertainty.
Speaker 2: Business hates uncertainty.
Speaker 3: Right, And then I got to get to what I was talking about yesterday, which I fully fully believe. I mean, don't well feel like the Wall Street journal crowd has your best interest in mind. They have the best interest of like what's gonna make the Dow close higher today for a lot of the crowd who actually does day trade or certainly this quarter not what's best for America long term. And you know, fortunately or unfortunately, I guess Anne Ryan would say, that's the way it's supposed to work. You know, they're looking out for themselves. That's what drives the whole thing. But yeah, I would say, as a guy who reads practically cover to cover the journal every single day, they have a wide range of opinions and writers there. Not all of them are merely chasing quarterly profits. But I wanted to get to this, and I didn't know this.
Speaker 2: So Mark Alpernan has a bunch of links to a whole bunch of different newspaper articles talking about the how much damage has been done, whether it's temporary, long term, blah blah blah. Then this team Trump came in with the theory of the case that they could rebalance the economy by shifting economic activity back to the private sector from the public sector. It's part of the whole doge thing and tariffs together. Trump advisors have said they think the government is now twenty five percent of the economy. Mark Awprin said, in reality, it's way higher, maybe closer to fifty percent. Wow, what fifty percent of the economy is the government with Medicare and Medicaid. No one wants to admit it, but to a large extent, the US economy has really just become the US government spending in transfers. This is evidenced by the fact that we've been running huge fiscal deficits during strong economic times, and the new Treasury Secretary has proposed fixing this by cutting government spending with musk combined with tariffs, to rebalance trade, to rebuild American manufacturing. But to bring it home, he gets into we live in a wah blah blah blah blah blah. The top ten percent. Studies have shown there's a very high correlation between their propensity to spend, with spending being you know, two thirds of our economies people going out and spending money and where the stock prices are for whatever reason, when the top ten percent are feeling wealthy, they buy stuff. But if they're not feeling wealthy, they don't. And this especially is true now, and this could get us into a real doom loop of tariffs, negative feelings, stock market going down, people pulling back, et cetera, et cetera, cutting the government, which is half the economy. You see, there's the spiral.
Speaker 3: If DOGE is laying off people and cutting the government and it's fifty percent of the economy, that automatically is going to drop the economy, which makes the rich ten percent spend less, which drops the economy.
Speaker 2: And it's just that, you see, it's a cycle that could catch on.
Speaker 3: Yeah. My only objection to that theory, or a question I have about it, is that what DOGE is doing is nibbling around the edges of the actual thing, fiscal pie.
Speaker 2: Sure. I don't appreciate it because I like the edges of the pie. Oh, fiscal pie ambitious. Uh. And it's funny because you have conservatives saying.
Speaker 3: They're they're they're not attacking entitlements and that's most of the budget blah blah blah blah. But at the same time, it might cause a doom loop. I just I don't I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, nobody ever knows on any of this stuff, as we've said for years, because if you were the old thing, if you ask you know, ten economists, you'll get eleven opinions. Or there's only two people that understand uh, the global economy and they don't agree, you know, any of those sayings. And but you know, if you could predict this stuff, well you'd be the richest person on planet Earth, you know, immediately, so that you know, there's a lot of moving pieces and theory and everything like that. But I do find that very troubling. Yeah, all of it's troubling.
Speaker 3: I find myself imagining if Trump were to craft the sort of message you've suggested, explaining exactly what his goals are, why it's going to be worth enduring a bit of pain or upheaval for a while, be it two years or more likely five or ten or fifteen or twenty years, because that would get the popular support. Doing something difficult would require, because there's one thing democracies are terrible at, that's doing what is difficult. Like in your family, you could say, hey, we are going to severely restrict spending for this year to get a down payment together to buy the house, or make the investment, or open the business we've long dreamed of.
Speaker 4: You can do it.
Speaker 3: You're on the wall of a house with a pool and say this is why we're doing it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: I've always been a fan of the like the thermometer thing where you actually track your savings, because it gives you enthusiasm for it.
Speaker 4: Judy and I used to do that when we were young.
Speaker 3: Anyway, as a family, you can do that. But democracies are famously horrible at saying all right, we're all going to endure some pain for a while an austerity plan, it happens.
Speaker 4: I don't think we're it's hard to get going.
Speaker 2: I don't think we're grown up enough for this. I think we're too used to easy sale in smooth saleing.
Speaker 3: But even if Trump were to do that, though, Wall Street would probably freak out for a while, and then people would see it, would check their four one ks and freak out, and I just I don't know if we have the right stuff to institute what Trump's talking about before it's a horrible emergency.
Speaker 2: Well imagine if Trump or somebody representing Trump came out and gave a speech says, look, half the economy is the government.
Speaker 3: Do you know that half the economy the government? And that can't be that's not sustainable.
Speaker 2: And our debt is this, and our deficit is this, and you know our payments are this, and blah blah blah. And if that wasn't go ahead, sorry, there's more.
Speaker 4: No, that's fine.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say.
Speaker 3: And if if that wasn't bad enough, folks, here's the chunk of they that would collapse and you would starve if China decides to jump ugly.
Speaker 2: So A, we got to rain in the government.
Speaker 3: B we've got to wean ourselves from being China junkies. Their economic heroin is they're gonna pull it back on us, and we're gonna be.
Speaker 2: On our hands and knees and our economy is.
Speaker 3: Gonna be puking and turning green and pooping on itself. Wow, because they're gonna pull it out cold turkey.
Speaker 2: Do you want that? Do you want that?
Speaker 3: Huh? Okay, We're gonna restructure the economy. You would be a disgusting economics teacher.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but compelling hm uh, there's no way this works because we have an election every two years. We're already like a year away from constantly talking about the mid terms and uh, and the Democrats are gonna run on He says, we can't blah blah blah. We say you we can blues with me.
Speaker 3: Everybody says, yeah, I want everything for nothing, And there you go.
Speaker 2: So the summarize were doomed. I'm moving along, aren't you glad you tuned in?
Speaker 4: Oh boy?
Speaker 2: But everybody should me and everyone we should realize we're not retiring today what the stock market does today unless you are retiring today somebody listening somewhere.
Speaker 3: And so then I hope you would have restructured your your investments.
Speaker 2: If somebody somewhere on our seventy stations listening is retiring today or yesterday, he retired yesterday, I understand while you're upset.
Speaker 1: Sorry, sorry, Jack Armstrong and Joe The Armstrong and Getty Show, arm Strong and Geeddy Show.
Speaker 3: So, speaking of generations, I thought this was both amusing and slightly annoying. But it's an article about how evidently some demographer social researcher by the name of Mark mccrindall has been come the go to guy for naming generations.
Speaker 2: Never heard of this guy, And the just of the article is.
Speaker 3: That he believes the whole like coming up with a groovy name for the generation and seeing if it catches on is kind of dumb.
Speaker 2: Well, I gotta believe that he or whoever was in charge. They came up with gen X way back in the day. I mean, this was the eighties when they started talking gen.
Speaker 3: X and far the coolest generation name, by the way, not just because of my year of birth. And then at the meeting where they came up with jen Y, somebody should have raised their hand and say, hey, I see like a problem coming down the road we might want to get ahead of with this whole lettering thing.
Speaker 2: We're running out of letters in the alphant What are we gonna do?
Speaker 3: Well, you got this silent generation, who weren't silent at all at the old hodown. And then you got the greatest generation, a fine generation, thanks for winning World War Two.
Speaker 4: But you know there's some good spot.
Speaker 3: Then you at the baby boomers. So there are a bunch of babies that once and now I'm a boomer, the most selfish generation that had ruined everything. Oh there's that is fair criticism hippies and yeah, damn hippies. And then then you got Generation X, again by far the coolest name. They go through a couple more letters, and then they, having run out of letters, they go with millennials, and then then.
Speaker 4: What's the next one?
Speaker 3: It doesn't matter anyway, So this guy says, all right, we got to quit screwing around.
Speaker 4: We'll just use Greek letters.
Speaker 3: Okay, so generation alpha just happened a while back, but now it's generation beta.
Speaker 2: When did alpha thing? Because I never even heard generation alpha?
Speaker 3: I know, I know, but apparently those who talk about this crap have. But anyway, the point is now it's generation beta. And of course beta is an insult in the modern world, right it means, for instance, a weak and passive man or something. And so there are parents evidently who are offended now their children are being Can we stop naming generations completely?
Speaker 2: What is a generation?
Speaker 4: Even?
Speaker 3: I mean Generation X fans for like twenty three years or something.
Speaker 2: This is crazy. Well, there's a number of problems with it that are fairly obvious. But at least back.
Speaker 3: In the day, you know how much changed between you know, this decade and that decade.
Speaker 2: Not a ton, whereas now, holy crap, if you're growing up in the smartphone world, it's completely different than the pre smartphone world.
Speaker 3: It just is, right, So let's go with more descriptive names like the smartphonies or or all digital weirdos or I don't yeah, I'm just spitballing here. Uh yeah, yeah, yeah. The change has been so massive so quickly, you might have to go like every five and a half years, right, have a new quote unquote generation if because you know, mostly I think it's useless. But if I'm a boss and you can say, all right, this next person we've known or we've hired is a beta zoomer, and you look it up and you see, oh, beta zoomers are extremely insecure and need to be coddled like little kittens. On the other hand, they're rebellious and blah blah. It might be a tool to help you deal with them.
Speaker 2: Right, It seems like giant world changing events would be better than just picking years like every so many years. Like I mentioned, smartphones, COVID would be a good marker if you were, you know, in if you're in grade school during COVID, you I know, teachers say those are different kinds of kids. How did jen X get its name?
Speaker 4: Fat?
Speaker 3: I mean, what a what does that even mean? How about Watergate and Vietnam made us very cynical? Plus half of our parents got divorced. I mean it's kind of long, but yeah, the latch Key generation anyway, Yeah, don't call them Generation Beta.
Speaker 2: It's hurtful, so so dumb.
Speaker 3: Did you know that seventy percent of TikTok's revenue comes from live streaming gifts. When people are doing live streamy stuff, you gifts or gifts gifts like presents. Yes, you can give people these little things that are called what are they called, their like little tokens.
Speaker 4: That they can redeem into real money.
Speaker 3: It's huge into sex live streaming. We need someone younger than us, Katie. Well, I'm trying to explain it to you, you old man. I need somebody who's done it.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, it's you.
Speaker 5: Just go on and they have different dollar amounts so you can send from fifty cents up to one thousand dollars, I think.
Speaker 3: To tip them digitally exactly. That was a digital tipsy. Why did this catch on? Is it just easier or more fun or well as opposed to and mowing them or sending them a car. Oh, it's immeasurably easier. You have an account, you click click, they get a dollar of your money and then they can show you their blankety blank or whatever. And TikTok allegedly has filters for this, but they're super easy to get around. You use just use slang terms, including local slang terms. Because it's a global app. And so there's an enormous child porn market on TikTok. These underage girls from all over the world, who will you know, perform various acts or show off or whatever, and and TikTok gets a cut of that. Well, first of all, I'll show you whatever part you want to see for a five spot.
Speaker 2: If there's any demand, give you a ten not to That's what I'll do.
Speaker 3: I'll start a bidding war, and that's will I'll make my money and they please don't.
Speaker 2: Well went out, but I'll be the benefit. It's not temptation, it's extortion. I'll it's Runny's threat.
Speaker 1: Jack Armstrong and Joe Gatty, the Armstrong and Daddy Joe
Speaker 2: M