Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Kristin Davis, and I want to know are you a Charlotte? Hello, everybody, welcome to Are You a Charlotte? Today we have one of my all time favorite people on the planet earth. Mollie Rodgers are incredible costume designer who work with Pat Field from the pretty much very beginning of the show and then also designed and just like that, and she is going to recap all the outfits of season three when we really just jumped up a whole level in terms of the fashion of the show. So please enjoy. It's a fun time you guys. Mollie Rodgers is with us, coming to us from the Bahamas. Oh, we are jealous.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me again. It's so fun to talk to you.
Speaker 1: I know, it's amazing to have you back. Thank you for joining me from your vacation. Apparently a vacating I mean, what's.
Speaker 2: Happening, I don't know. I just by the way, I just want to say it's horrible here because I don't want anybody coming. Well.
Speaker 1: I saw the picture from on Instagram of the traffic, which is of course a sandy sandy path. I was just immediately filled with Josey.
Speaker 2: I am not going to say anything about this. Paradise is stantatic.
Speaker 1: You're in a secret location.
Speaker 2: I have done my homework. Oh good, looked at how jam packed that season was.
Speaker 1: I mean season three. We had to have you back on to revisit season three because it is incredible.
Speaker 2: There is so much in there. And can I just say, and I don't know if this was your experience. Season three was when we started going into stores and people were like, oh, yeah, I know that ship decly really starting to uh borrow, And yeah.
Speaker 1: Yes, I do absolutely remember that. And I feel like, you know, Sarah Jessica. This is when I think, to me, things clicked in my mind that Sarah Jessica had had these previous relationships with designers, right and had known them and gone to events with them, and she understood, you know, kind of the personal side of it in terms of how to go about that relationship and being respectful of course, and returning everything when you were supposed to and all of that. And that was when I started trying to find, you know, who I liked number one, who fit me number two and then trying to kind of develop those relationships, whether it be through going to a fashion week to their show or you know, getting to know, like the personal shopper at Prada was our close friend for a long time.
Speaker 2: Oh that's right, Remember.
Speaker 1: How she was fantasic?
Speaker 2: I remember, yes, she was great. And I remember Kevin to Who's There?
Speaker 1: Yeah, amazing, amazing.
Speaker 2: Well you educated yourself so so quickly because that was kind of unexplored territory in a weird way for television.
Speaker 1: Oh very much so. I mean obviously we were in television. We were HBO.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, true, but I remember people we go to ask for something and people were like sex in the City, is that some show about more goat Like they didn't. They wanted to see it first before they played with.
Speaker 1: Us, Oh for sure, for sure. And I feel like it was also the year, this is the year that we got nominated for the Emmy, which was like for me, uh, I remember everything about that so vividly, and the shock, like the shocks, you remember how shocked we were, and the fact that we then win it eventually like the next year also just still insane to think about because no HBO comedy had ever been nominated, much less one, you know, and we always thought that the Sopranos would be the ones, and of course they also were, but it was so wonderful that we were thought of in that.
Speaker 2: Way exactly, so heavy hitters, yeah in it. Yeah, I just have to say, yeah, your hair, thank you, and your skin oh always lawless, So thank you.
Speaker 1: Baby. This is neglected hair that is very very long. Okay, it's very very long and slightly dead on the ends from work, so it needs some love. But you're looking fantastic there on your bake cake.
Speaker 2: Uh well, let's just say, oh, this paradise is not telling you my GPS location at all. Never come here. It's horrible.
Speaker 1: I will not well not, but I'm happy that you're getting some rest because we couldn't have you on for a while because you were working. You have been busy, busy, busy, busy lady.
Speaker 2: I have. And it was, as you can imagine, an incredible experience that you gals trained me.
Speaker 1: Really, I'm just going to tell everybody. So Mollie was doing the Devil Wars part of two. She was on the Devil Wars part of one with Pat and you know Molly and Pat have been with us since the very very beginning. Well, Molly was not on the pilot. She was on episode one, so you know episode two, I guess right, but that's pretty much the very beginning nineteen ninety eight. And we love her desperately, people desperately, and as Sarah, Jessica and I have many, many, many times discussed the level of detail that you bring to everything you do is beyond like we have neither of us have ever worked with anyone that brings the level of detail of each button. Molly has an obsession with buttons. You guys, you do buttons and tassels and trim okay, yeah, trim, prograin, ribbons, castles, buttons. She has like a column in the you know, in the fitting rooms. I think you guys have seen the pictures on Instagram. I'll repost when we air this. She has like a car. All of them were like buttons, like sheets of buttons that she got in like midtown, you know, like there's ribbon store in midtown. Mollie will go and she will find all these ribbons and bring the ribbons back and make ear rings out of them for you, okay, like earrings. No is it is crafty because it's like old school, you know, like you also will take a dress completely apart and re put it together obviously with our wonderful tailor Adrian or you know, totally.
Speaker 2: I'm sure those ribbon stores and Buttons stores were probably not there anymore. They are losing the garment center as we speak. And I learned detail is for winners from those control freaks Pat s j Can I guess you.
Speaker 1: Oh no, you taught me, babe.
Speaker 2: You attention to everything, and as we know these days, that is so true what people pay attention to.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I mean, yeah, you were you were Minutia, the Minutia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, it's not pleasant.
Speaker 1: No, the Minutia is a little bit much. And as we talked about it with a different a different person who was on a couple of weeks ago, the bizarre paparazzi, you know, like continual paparazzi all day long, which you guys also got on Prada, is I think in some ways detrimental because you're seeing these outfits out of context. Like I remember when we came back with them just like that. We we knew that we had killed big, but not everybody knew, thank goodness. We had to keep it top secret. So people were just so confused why Carrie was dressing like that, and it was so frustrating because they don't know the plot or the story. Thank goodness they don't, right, But you're seeing just you're being inundated all day long with the paparazzi pictures on your Instagram, and you're thinking, why is she wearing that? You know, and it makes no sense, whereas if you knew the plot it might make sense. But I feel like you've already gone through this gauntlet of judgment from the preparazzi pictures, which is really unfair because the costumes are supposed to tell a story. They're not just supposed to be great standalone outfits necessarily.
Speaker 2: Right, they're not commercials like I in the conjecture, which is what you're talking about too, that goes on and on, why would she wear that? I just experienced the little taste of what may be coming at me. There was a teaser relation, Honey. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I follow everything because I love you so much and so I'm always and I'm not. I don't even obviously he texts you if it's stressy, because I'm like, I know she's stressing, needs your warnings? Oh maybe I should warn you? I mean, look, I also feel, I mean, what I like about if I have to try to find the silver lining of the critique that's happening continually is that when they first see something, right, when when Instagram, TikTok, whatever first experiences something, they'll there they say their gut reaction, like why would Miranda Presley be wearing you know what, you call them studs? What do they call which? What? Valentine Valentino rock stud thank you so much?
Speaker 2: Why? Why?
Speaker 1: Why? And then they were like, there's this shoe. There's this shoe. There's this shoe, And I mean it is a kind of a tyranny in a way, Like I was invited to something recently and I really just was like frozen. I thought like, I don't know if everyone is going to be wearing coup tour gowns from the runway or like a black dress to look decent and whatever. But like all the people and I love them all, I love Nikki Bell, I'm all for them, and I love their point of view, but like it's scary, right, am I going to be picked apart if I don't want a couptur gown from the runway? I don't know. It's so scary, So I didn't go. I know, I'm just trying to live my life, I know, and I wanted to support. It was for Clooney, and I wanted to sport, but I didn't go because I don't have an outfit that they're not going to kill me for. So I didn't go. But it's the same with these teasers. Right, you put out a teaser. I thought it was fantastic, and then first they're like, she would never wear a rock stud that was nineteen whatever, blah blah blah. I don't know what year was too.
Speaker 2: That was what is the message here?
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, what is the message? But what I loved is that it did come around like first they were like no, no, no, that's terrible, no whatever. Then and they were like this is a better choice. This is a better choice, which always cracks me up. Also, right, and also, you're working with actors who have an opinion. And I'm not saying Merrill chose that shoe. I don't know who chose that shoe. And you don't have to tell us, but I want to, Okay, great, tell us, tell us.
Speaker 2: We chose the shoe. Sometimes well, I wasn't in the room, of course, but oh no. Sometimes you're in a room with people like marketing people who think they know better than you, and that shoe if you want a bang in a punch for a commercial, yeah, that's an attend you know, that's like a bold statement. Was it character related? No? Got it? So it was insisted on, and both shoes mine and theirs was shot. And then when I saw the teaser, I was, oh, Molly, yeah.
Speaker 1: That's so upsetting. You guys, this is really important because everyone wants to blame the costume designer and it's so not fair because there's so many players.
Speaker 2: The director that has a very good, you know, very.
Speaker 1: Frank Old David frank Old director, and he has a good opinion and is respectful, I believe, you know, to Molly, which is wonderful. And then the actor sometimes has opinions.
Speaker 2: You know, certainly they have a onion or something.
Speaker 1: Sure they might have They might have some some like real actual walking issues, like a serious issue. That's true, Like there are some people that they cannot wear the super high heels, and then there's some people they might be really really good at it. I'm not going to name names right now, but then they hurt their foot in a certain shoe and that kind of hobbles them, and then you are just like trying like one time, I know, for for you know, for myself, I was trying to wear those super high heels. I was like, I can still do it. No, no, no, no no. And then we were doing the dress for when I fall on the mattress in the gallery right, And for some reason I chose those lunatic level lubitons, the Zendayawares. I think we just thought they looked good with the dress in the room. I forgot everything that I have to do in those shoes. And then after that I was in some pain and there was a coffee No it's not coffee shop, the Mario's place, you know, the bread the bread place.
Speaker 2: Hot fellas, Hot fellas.
Speaker 1: Good job, Mollie, yes, hot Fellaws. I'm in Hot Fellows. I have to get up at one table and walk to the other table, and my feed hurts so badly that I kind of teetered totter across the room in like the saddest way. Oh, because it was like the week after or whatever, you know what I'm saying, So like I had I had done myself in in the gallery. And then I was still wearing those really high shoes because I think we had them in like every color, you know, and I had thought to myself paying for it, right, and I was like, we're just sitting in the restaurant, right, it'll be fine. But I forgot I had to go talk to the other moms.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. But I have to say that I think was because of the physicality in the gallery, because you are pretty pretty, you know, stealth and good and really tall ones like thankruly.
Speaker 1: I'm usually pretty good. It was it was that I had to run in them and then fall and we had my son double but she never did it because that's how it always happens, right, So I did it like forty times, maybe, you know, kind of cuckoo level. And I think it was pretty late at night, you know, which is our way up. Okay, there were choices of shoes, is what you're saying. There were choices, So your choice is not what ended up. And this is a real this is important to have on the record, Molly. That was not your choice. And so there were marketing people involved, and what you're saying to me is that they felt that that was kind of an identifiable, bold choice.
Speaker 2: I think that through their untrained eye and not just seeing like a gold gramt, they thought that has a lot of punch. Interesting, that get a lot for our money. They now think that these things are translated into characters. She would never.
Speaker 1: No probably not no, no, no, Wow.
Speaker 2: It's too flashy for her.
Speaker 1: It's flashy, and it's also like just slightly not current.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's like things happen as you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is important to be on the record about, I think because sometimes people want to just take you to task, and I feel like it's very unfair. It's very unfair. And there's some times in this episode, I mean this season. I guess we're really get the whole season, season three, which is like the year two thousand, right, which is kind of a long time ago. But it's also so amazing how incredibly current things really look, absolutely, which is bizarre to me. Is it because the nineties or whatever they want to consider it is the nineties is kind of back? Or like, is it just that they're timelessly good outfits?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I mean, I'm looking at all your references from this jam Pack season. Yeah, it's a lot nice things that are very you know, like a lot of Cavali on care right.
Speaker 1: No, I know, listen, I brought I brought my Cavali. I need to show this to you guys. I'm gonna put it on the Instagram because I brought this because I was gonna wear it, okay, and it looks really big how I'm holding it up right now. I was gonna wear it. But when I put it, it's like a little handkerchief. I was like, I can't wear this. I was gonna wear this in honor of our podcast, because I keep this in a little jeor at home. But this is a Kvali. It's like so of the time, right, it's so.
Speaker 2: Cute's dilutely the fabric and the christ the glitter. It's like thee I.
Speaker 1: Wore this on the rooftop. Remember the baking hot Yeah, the cookout, the cookout, Yes, the end of the season with that iconic picture, if I do say so myself of us laughing when our feet had sunken into the tar, because that was the level of heat we were dealing with that day.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. Those are the things you remember.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And also that the elevators broke and so we were walking up and down the stairs of that very tall building. Yes, yes, the day is.
Speaker 2: A really great photo, though, I have to say it has so much of the energy of the dynamic four.
Speaker 1: I agree, I agree, it's that's why it's one of my favorite all time photos. For sure.
Speaker 2: Everybody looks nuts like Kim Kim Kim in a two piece Gingham outfit. She looks like, you know, it's fantastic, Mally and from Gulligan. Yes, yes, what it was? Yes? How far can we push this? They're having a cookout Gingham two pieces, Yes, glitter Cavali.
Speaker 1: Glitter Cavali. And I think I was wearing like a short skirt and I never get up because I'm and I'm like kind of tugging at the skirt like you just know. Pat was like, wear it. You know.
Speaker 2: I love when you imitate her cause you sound like her. You.
Speaker 1: I don't think I do it justice at all, not at all.
Speaker 2: I tried.
Speaker 1: It's hard, it's hard. Okay, let's start a little bit at the beginning, if you will allow me.
Speaker 2: I have my phone. Oh fantastic you're talking of of course, of course I have a few stories as you do.
Speaker 1: Oh, I can't wait, I think you're gonna have stories that I don't even remember. Okay, this is the episode. It's called where There's Smoke and we go to Staten Island. Now, the thing that I remember whenever we would go back to work, because this is the first episode of the season, right, And obviously I was shooting two episodes at the same time, so I think the next one, the first one is where There's smoke, and the next one is politically incorrect with style, right, right, Yeah, thats right. So we would always film too at once, and I remember every year because it was February that we'd go back to work, but the show didn't come on till June, so we're freezing, like freezing. New York City in February is so getting cold, you guys. And I am a lightweight. I'm a Southerner, as is Molly. I like my hot humidity. It's like what I live for. So I'm all always freezing cold. And Pat always wanted us in furs, and I believe this was the year. I never wanted to wear the fur. I always begged, please, please don't make me wear the fur, and She's like, no, it's wonderful, fabulous, and I had to go to burg Dwarfs. I want to say to the fur department, do you remember this?
Speaker 2: Like it was either Burgdorf for sacks, and sacks was where they would loan them out. Got it, okay?
Speaker 1: And there was a cape memory, thank you. This was a trauma for me, all right. This was like up there on the trauma level. There was a chinchilla cape and she really loved it for Charlotte. Now look, I get it. Capes are fantastic, and it was kind of soft, but it had the little chinchilla and it just looks like little chinchillas. And I went home that night and I had nightmares that the chinchillas came alive and we're crawling all over me. And so then I was like, Pat, I can't sleep thinking about that chinchilla cape, Like, please don't make me wear it, Please don't make me wear it. So I would wear her down. I would like keep on begging and begging and begging, and end up in the shearling. That was like as far as I could get her down. And some of these pink shearlings that I wear are still on people's favorite Charlotte outfits ever.
Speaker 2: Wow, I know, Okay, that's what you wore on the.
Speaker 1: Ferry, exactly right, Yeah, yep.
Speaker 2: And I think I have a confused with the baseball game.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, because I have a different one there. I think every year she would get me in a pink sharling, and then there's one coming up when Sir Jeska is pregnant and we're cold and I'm wearing a pink shearling that people put in like top ten Charlotte. You know, I'll post on the Instagram it's not in the season. But I mean, like, I think three or four seasons, she found somehow a pink shearling for me to wear, which you know was a good a good compromise for me at the time.
Speaker 2: I think off Pat's top ten disappointments, you rejecting the chinchilla cape is probably way up there, but it sounds like her.
Speaker 1: I know it was up there. But can I say that she's got Kim in some major furs. I mean, obviously we also have the vintage fur, which we should touch on a bit, Carrie's vintage fur, which we have now.
Speaker 2: May I speak, please do please do? Okay, Now I believe I am correct. At the time, I was so curious what is that I believe. I was told it is muskrated. Have you ever heard this?
Speaker 1: No, I have not.
Speaker 2: It's muskat that is what I believe, because that is morphed into. It's an opossum coach.
Speaker 1: It's not.
Speaker 2: I remember I remember calling Ana's and I believe that's what it was. Now. It was not until season three and this picture that you have of her wearing it with We had it for three years. It was the first thing we bought Carrie, right. He did not find out that it unzipped into a short jacket until the third year. I think, yeah, it's longer. Oh, we had no idea until somebody looked at and goes, hey, this thing gets short. Wasn't that fabulous?
Speaker 1: That is fabulous? But wait, did we have another piece? Or is this it?
Speaker 2: That's the shorty version?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Got it?
Speaker 1: Because yes, there's a one where it comes below her knee.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, got it is a fabulous thing.
Speaker 1: It is. Let me ask you. It's not pure Carden correct. No, yeah, the internet thinks it is. It's not you guys. Yeah, it's like a no name, isn't it.
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: I think I think.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure about that. I mean they have season one and two continuity books at HBO.
Speaker 1: Oh well, we better get them before somewhere is HBO and we can't get this right.
Speaker 2: Before it's Netflix. Yeah, but it's really difficult because it's all of our handwritings on polaroids and it's not you know, the books are at HBO. Uh digital digital digital one in two episode, I mean season one and two, got it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Wow, that's interesting. I mean, Sarah Jessica feels like it's a vintage no name that came from Ina, you know in the very beginning, right, she could.
Speaker 2: Be right, I remember, you know, as you do find in vintage coats someone's monogrammed initials in the chest.
Speaker 1: Rh right, like a person.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, that would be definitely passed down through to Aina. But I just found that to be so interesting to find that it had a piece that came away.
Speaker 1: It's very cool. Now look at this crazy fur that she's got Kim in here for the fire station, I believe, and then takes it off.
Speaker 2: I have a little story for you if you're interested. Yes, number one that was in the Cole Miller dress, which I'm sure you remember Miller. Yes, And I'll never forget that night, Kim insisted on taping her ankles in white gauze so she could slide down the pole easier. And if you watch that episode, you see it.
Speaker 1: What I must rewatch? I didn't even notice, well something, How did she even know that? That's so interesting?
Speaker 2: She thought it would grease her better? Wow? See them if you're looking.
Speaker 1: I'm going to look back now, I'm going to look back. I mean, I thought the whole thing was very bold. I had not really remembered everything that she did. And she looks so cute when she puts the little suspenders over her naked eye.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, that was That's cute.
Speaker 1: It's pretty good. It's pretty good. But I think that Pat took all the furs that I wouldn't wear and just made Kim wear bear furs.
Speaker 2: Totally totally. That color is too hot for Charlotte. Give it over to Savantha.
Speaker 1: Oh for sure, for sure. I mean also I think that it would swallow me and you couldn't see my head, you know what I mean. It's a lot of coat. It's a lot of coat. She can pull it off. I think also when we see Sarah with slattery is when we really start to see the flowers. So I was wondering if you remember, how did it start? Did you realize what you were doing?
Speaker 2: Like Jeska came in that season and said, I'm into flowers. What she saw that inspired her? I don't remember the person in history that she was like, I want to bring those back. So someone went to the fancy, fancy flower pace on fourteenth Street and just got boxes of them. And it was a really great thing to introduce. It's it was so viral, you know.
Speaker 1: I know it still is. It still is. So you guys just got a bunch of fake flower pins or just fake flowers and so so them on things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they were so beautiful from that store had such a fabulous name like Sherman and Oaks.
Speaker 1: That's fine. Did we have Nile at this time on the show as our tailor? I think so, I feel like we must have, right, she was so amazing also or trillion, oh trillion, trillion, so great, Oh my gosh, trillion. We've had some.
Speaker 2: We all we broke all their spirits.
Speaker 1: Because you guys, there's no harder job. No, I know, every single outfit for every single person has to be tailored within an inch of.
Speaker 2: His life, absolutely tailoring jeans for Carrie I Burger. Burger wanted his T shirt sleeve a quarter of an inch shorter, which almost we lost our minds.
Speaker 1: See it's the people you least expect, right, Like if you look at Sir A Jessica and you were like, yes, that would be hard to find jeans that would fit that tiny little body. That makes sense, but right, you know, it doesn't necessarily make sense that Burger would want his T shirts accord. That's interesting. I did want to touch on John Corbett as well, because he shows up here right for the first time, John baby face John.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh that's a story.
Speaker 1: I mean, tell us, okay, and then you know.
Speaker 2: All these little tidbits. I mean, it's just what happened. I mean, no one any harm. Of course, you know, his reservation jewelry was a big talking point. I remember hated it, but in order to get him to wear some of the shirts she was interested in, she had to compromise.
Speaker 1: Got it.
Speaker 2: But in hindsight that was a mist you know, in my opinion, I don't think he needed jewelry like that.
Speaker 1: It was interesting when I watched it because obviously I know Corbett and I obviously know that is his jewelry, but and I also know that that's his double denim. You know, Okay, I do? I mean don't we all right? Because Corbett is a pretty big personality. He's not somebody who's just like, oh yeah, wear whatever you want. That's just not who John is. He has a lot of opinions, and you know, feels very much like this is who the character is or isn't. But the thing, which I me too, I mean, you need that, and I think that in our world from the men, you really needed that because you know, they needed to be feeling confident and like they could make their own statement right because it was so much our show, right, Yeah, we got it.
Speaker 2: To them right.
Speaker 1: It was hard.
Speaker 2: They wanted to be one of the divas.
Speaker 1: For sure, and more power too though I'm all for it. But like for him, when I look back on the show, first of all, I didn't remember him having that little babyface. It really just like, oh that little baby face. John is just something right and long hair. He is so one million percent the anti big that it is powerful, right, and the jewelry kind of takes it further. Yes, So from that perspective, I got it like, he's not New York City, he's not you know, fashion, he's his own thing.
Speaker 2: That's really important to bring up.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, but Pat, as a true New Yorker, did not understand a turquoise ring, you know by huge huge. She was not interested. I love it, I get it, I get it right.
Speaker 1: And then there's this one thing I want to talk about too, because it has to do with him. And I don't know if it was you guys or him, because one of the things when I look at the show the old really because now we're in two thousand, which is really right on the cusp of the nineties. Right when he comes to my wedding, which he doesn't come to, right, aiden doesn't come because they end up breaking up, remember this outside of the wedding. But he's dressed to come to the wedding. He's wearing this massive suit, okay, and it's brown and it's like not tailored, it's like kind of flowy. It's strange.
Speaker 2: About first of all, when I saw your note about that, I was like, uh, brown, that that's so odd, right, you know, And I think there were big discussions about this guy doesn't alter his clothes, oh not turned you know, he didn't go to a tailor, he didn't go into the store and say, you know, I thought it was something like opinions that wanted it, you know, not ill fitting.
Speaker 1: And it really was. It really was at the point where I was like, what's going on. But also at that point in time because the season before, We've got Big getting engaged in Natasha and he's also wearing a brown jacket and I'm like, oh, the brown, like and it's not the brown that we would use now if we did use brown. Right, it's like a bat.
Speaker 2: Pet loves chocolate suits and they're so hard to find, or they were then, and whenever she saw one, she was like, somebody's wearing that. No way, she loved them. That's weird, as they were so sexy and chocolatey, and.
Speaker 1: I don't know, that's super interesting. It's also to me there was like a change happening in suiting for men, but it hadn't really happened yet, Like tom Ford hadn't really happened yet. You know, there were things that were coming that were going to really change tailoring, how we looked at tailoring, what we expected, and whereas we had always been beautifully tailored because he was he was playing like a you know, media dude or whatever. Right, find out, do whatever he's supposed to be. But everyone else is You're like, huh, what are they wearing? But I kind of like that. Okay, wait, I have a question.
Speaker 2: Funny I need to watch that again. For John's brown suit, that's hilarious. It's like top and then on it just like that. We had him in a suit that didn't fit when he went to that other remember that.
Speaker 1: Yes, but that was a story point, right, But then they cut that scene, didn't they did? They cut the scene where he they think there's a big and tall shop on the corner, but it's gone. I think we refer to it.
Speaker 2: We refer to it.
Speaker 1: But he's got those short pants. But it's so funny. It's really, it's so obviously funny. Did you not think it was funny? Were you dying?
Speaker 2: We did. We were hoping that you would see that they were short.
Speaker 1: I think you did. When he's walking down the street with her, you know, towy us. I mean, it's pretty obvious. It's pretty obvious. I mean it is funny, you know. I don't think people also realize how tall Corbett is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you do when you see them together in a closet or.
Speaker 1: You know, but somehow those tiptoes.
Speaker 2: He is a tall drink of water.
Speaker 1: He is a tall drink of water and a sweetheart.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm still trying to talk him into coming on the podcast. So if you run into him, also.
Speaker 2: I will, Yeah, I will pester him, thank you.
Speaker 1: I know, right, we need his voice, we need his memories.
Speaker 2: He's got great stories.
Speaker 1: Right right, we need it. I'll do my best. I'm trying. I've been texting him, but he's not responding. All right. This is Carrie.
Speaker 2: When we dance on the dance floor dancing.
Speaker 1: To that to yep, I think so yes, that's so great.
Speaker 2: You two are so distinctive in your dance moves. I love that scene.
Speaker 1: I think we had that choreographer there. Do you remember how anytime it said the word dance, she'd be like, where's the choreographer coming, even if it was just casual. Yeah, because it was scary. You know, we were scared. We were always scared. I'm dancing, you know what I mean? You know, and I'm happy. I'm happy that we did. I also, I have that bag that I have on my on my arm when I'm dancing. I think it's Selene and it's white. It's like a white rhymestone. I should have brought that in body cool exactly. I do have it.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: I have two of them because at some point, Yeah, isn't that strange? It doesn't look anything like Selena of today?
Speaker 2: Nothing, that's pretty impressive. I'm glad you have it. I can't wait to talk about another outfit of yours. I'm praying you have it, which well I'll hold, I'll.
Speaker 1: Well, you always get it. No, no, whatever's on your mind.
Speaker 2: Go it's fun halts or dress that ties in the front.
Speaker 1: When Tiffany's yes, A course, that's a good one. And apparently it's for Sachi. Is that right? I don't even know for that? No?
Speaker 2: Is it Glare? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I thought it was about Glare too. Sometimes the Internet has things wrong, you guys. I don't want to break anybody's or anything, but sometimes I look at the little captions. I'm like, no, no, that's not it. Here we go. It's a good one. It's a really good one. And I feel like.
Speaker 2: We have had Darren perfect with that.
Speaker 1: Thank you. They did great, didn't they I think this is why I had that really nice French guy. Was his name like Pierre. Maybe he used to give me the most amazing blowout. My whole neck would be like getting pulled off my off my shoulders in the trailer. But it was worth it, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Wow, Like he just like to manipulate hair, big time, big time movie star Elizabeth taking Thanks babe.
Speaker 1: I mean I think what we were going for because we knew we were going to end up this is mcdou Charles McDougall's directing this, which, of course one of my all time favorites. I thought he really understood a great guy, and he understood Charlotte, and he understood Charlotte and Trey, and he always had like such interesting creative camera things he would do, you know, and he always came to work in that beautiful suit. So he understood fashion.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he was a cool cucumber, that one.
Speaker 1: He really was.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I think we were going for like an Audrey hepburn esque, but like modern and casual version, you know, like not trying too hard. Right.
Speaker 2: It looks so amazing in that dress, Thank you, baby. That holds up for it.
Speaker 1: It definitely does, and I don't own it, which is really sad. But can I tell you there's some really funny details here. So number one, we have done this dress, different versions of this dress through the years, Like do you remember in the movie I have a white version which I think is also Moudglair, which I do own. That's like a rap it wraps around and is backless that we wore when I have that Hot Nanny. Do you remember that when Hot Nanny gets out Asloma with her zooms nipples exactly? And I love that dress. That that dress you could get out and wear right now.
Speaker 2: No, no, totally. That is a classic Charlotte silhouette, backless halter, full skirt. It's just a no brainer.
Speaker 1: Love it. Then I have these, I don't know if you can see them. There's some kind of strappy shoe. It's white. I literally have worn that shoe in many different iterations through the years, including in and just like that. Do you remember when you go to her and over right over and over and over we go to stock Natasha down in the in soho on the pebbles and I'm wearing these with that.
Speaker 2: Amelia MAXI.
Speaker 1: Yes, the sailboat dress. I know, isn't that funny? I don't even think we're intellectually doing it.
Speaker 2: No, I think it's part of our cell DNA totally.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I love it. Wait, I don't even know. I'm not really in order, but it's fun times, so I don't care.
Speaker 2: Okay, sorry, no, No, I totally.
Speaker 1: Now for some reason, I'm I'm in episode ten, but I think that's because I had to find them moveglair. But it just reminds me that I have this Donna Karen dress that I wore. Do you remember this? The blue Donna Karen to the engagement party yesterday? I know I still own this, It's in storage, and.
Speaker 2: I remember how much she loved that dress. I passionately you find that dress and make us get it.
Speaker 1: I think I did. But when I look at it, I think it's a weird choice, and I think it's so interesting. Like I don't know what was going on in my own mind other than that. As you started the talking about the season, saying it was when we really did get to start really borrowing designer stuff, and I remember feeling like I couldn't fit in designer stuff because it was still very narrow in the hips, how they were cutting things, and so I was always so anxious that I wasn't going to be able to fit into it, which is actually part of how I found product, because Prada is cut in a more like nineteen forties way, you know, right, more like for hips and waist and all the things, and Donna Karen is like so user friendly. Right, So this is Donna Karen, and it's a very cool and weird dress and in some ways also kind of not in some ways when I look at it, not what Charlotte would actually be wearing to her engagement party with Trey and Bunny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very watery and soft chiffon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my pissy and self took over and you somehow let.
Speaker 2: Me let's say pat was into that.
Speaker 1: She must have been. And the thing that I do like about it is that is that here Charlotte is marrying into this like you know, bastion of.
Speaker 2: Preppiness story family, right like.
Speaker 1: UPTI Bunny's wearing all the you know, Chanelle boxy jackets and everything, and she shows up in this, which in some ways I think is great because like she could have just looked like everybody else. She could have been wearing pearls. She could have been wearing chanel. You know, hair ribbons exactly, all the things that we do.
Speaker 2: Later, right, a dupe of Bunny exactly.
Speaker 1: But I love that she didn't, that we didn't.
Speaker 2: That was that was cool.
Speaker 1: But I don't know if I meant it odd? You know what I mean, isn't it? It is odd? And I kept this thing and I'm so glad and I should get it out, but I feel like I'm too old to wear it. I don't know. Wait, speaking of our silhouette, look at what I'm wearing. This might be the versace. Look at what I'm wearing in Vera Wang with Anthony again, another halter. You guys were on a roll here.
Speaker 2: That you have beautiful shoulders. Oh god, I love this. I think that's correctly identified.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I do, I do, I do, and I don't own it sadly. It's really good. I wish I did. It's really good. It's also funny because this is good. A tiny, tiny hounds tooth, which I'm sure they probably told us would stroke and it so didn't.
Speaker 2: Well. Wow, I love the detail of that front chest me too, so beautifully and that is very appropriate.
Speaker 1: Very appropriate, very appropriate with Anthony and Vera Wang. Definitely. Now, let's just talk about the wedding for a second. I think you and I talked about the wedding before, and many, many fucking headlines were written. Okay about how when I jokingly said, you know, I think Sir Jessica's still mad at me about those bridesmaids dresses. I mean literally like thirty headlines, Sir Jessica angry with Kristin Davis.
Speaker 2: No, you fill me in.
Speaker 1: I'm joking, Okay, so remember.
Speaker 2: Tell me everything.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I'm getting married, Charlotte's getting married right in our Vera Wang, which I have a literal stack of polaroids of our fittings that we did, which I will get to in a second. But what I remember, and you tell me what you remember. So here are my ladies wearing slightly different versions of a beige satin dress right like, Yes, they have their own neckline which is really.
Speaker 2: Adorable, correct, which is really great.
Speaker 1: Really great?
Speaker 2: Did make those?
Speaker 1: I believe so, but I'm not one hundred percent sure. Yeah, either Vera or badgly Mishka, because my other dresses that we tried on were Badgley mishka, that's right, And then I wear badly mishka for Charlotte's second wedding because they are like lovely individuals. Anyway, the second one, I know. But what I remember about this is that there was some debate about whether or not everyone would be wearing matching bridesmaid's dresses and did they have to be this color because certain people did.
Speaker 2: Not did not want to that collar, right, Okay, I'm with you, right.
Speaker 1: And I remember there being a lot of debate.
Speaker 2: I remember this, And I remember.
Speaker 1: Also there's being like a ton of debate about my wedding dress, even though when you really look at all the all the pictures, I mean, we had like ten wedding dresses that were all amazing and could have been great, but there were so many cooks in the kitchen.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. This was This calls the war, I believe. I believe it did. It pretty pretty discussed, let's say, helpfully discussed.
Speaker 1: Healthfully discussed for quite some time.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 1: That's the other thing is that there was a big lead up to it, right, so it gave everyone time the way in and then spin around and spin around, I know, And I remember my at a certain point, I didn't care. I didn't care at all. I was just like, whatever, they're all great. I don't know, you know what I mean, Like I think that the idea with Charlotte, because we all knew it would be very traditional, you know, big whatever you would call it, right, But like I have here, I don't know if you can see where they're like more fitted, they're less poofy. This is the one I ended up in, which is very poofy. But then there was also the veil conversation, like how long this veil is, like down to the bottom of the dress. But I had to lift the veil cathedral, thank you, you know the words. I had to lift the veil, you know, in that scene with her. This is a different silhouette, but all so beautiful. I mean, there's so many that I could have worn. But I think there were just a lot of thoughts about you know.
Speaker 2: A lot of cooks in that.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, here's a different veil that's quite poofy. You know, it was like is it going to be poofy? And then I don't know if I remember when I got married the second time, Michael Patrick sent down his note that I had to be wearing a Shantilly lace veil. Do you remember this? And we were like why, what do you mean? And he said, because Charlotte Elizabeth Taylor wore went in one of her many weddings. And we were like, okay, but we already picked the dress, Like, h maybe we needed to know that before we picked the dress. I think we just wore it and it was what it was, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: It was all the body came out on the internet after you and tried to like crucify because guess what, there wasn't one.
Speaker 1: Exactly we could create in peace. This is an adorable picture. It's a much more fitted dress. And there's Pat in the background in her bucket hat. I don't know if you can see her. She's so cute. And then I have one here somewhere. This is a tight one. I'm sure everybody was like, no, Charlotte wouldn't wear that, and I probably really wanted to wear that. There's one. This is one where I have like a very poofy veil on. There's one. This is one. It has a big bottom and those are Pats tennis shoes. She is under my dress completely covered. She's trying to pull down the lining.
Speaker 2: What a fabulous picture you're kidding me. I want to see that on Instagram.
Speaker 1: I will put it on Instagram for everyone to see it.
Speaker 2: It's just really cute.
Speaker 1: Just your sneakers are showing and you would never know that there's a human being under there.
Speaker 2: She's totally okay. Then I want to ask you something because your memory is so good because it was your wedding. Yeah, what about the Scottish plaid treatment on Carrie's brides because she was.
Speaker 1: The brides maid? Made of honor?
Speaker 2: Right right?
Speaker 1: I love it. I didn't remember it at all, but I love it so much because you absolutely know that was Sara Jusca. And this is the use of you with your trims. I'm sure that you were like, yes, I will get those those.
Speaker 2: Little Scottish plaid section and find something appropriate.
Speaker 1: And I think there's a broach on top of it, which is also very much coming.
Speaker 2: Like reminiscent of a flower. Yep so but on the bell very smart. Ye.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love it so much. And there is the guy you know, obviously, Trey's wearing his kilt, which is adorable, and then there's his cousin or whoever he is. Who's Scottish the way we can't understand anything, says who's also wearing a killed I believe right, yes, yes, and talks about how there is something under there but it's easy to get off or something. I don't know. It's very trippy and funny, very trippy and funny.
Speaker 2: Now, how many times were you married, lady?
Speaker 1: Just twice?
Speaker 2: What do you mean.
Speaker 1: You think there's more?
Speaker 2: First with Trey, yes, Scottish? Yeah, what was the second one? It's Harry, It's Harry. There's nobody in between. Now, okay, you only got married twice. I'm very disappointed in you.
Speaker 1: You are you know why we put on like forty wedding dresses. So I think that's why you think I got married more. No, no, you know, Charlotte finds Harry and you know then then it's it came over with the world exactly exactly. And remember he was my divorce lawyer from Trey. That's how I mean him, which is so perfect. Okay, now I have this picture where my producers really want to understand this necklace. Sarah has like just a tube top on very Sarah Jessica, and then she has this big chunky. It's like a heart or a strawberry. I can't even what is that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you know we got freed, you know, it was still about where can we get stuff? We don't have any money? And Kenny J. Lane children was very generous.
Speaker 1: Oh there's so nice.
Speaker 2: Pat loved trinkets like that. She loved the horseshoes, she loved an apple, she loved a heart. She loved like that. To me is so eye catching in a a in a childish kind of way, like that's a chunky thing.
Speaker 1: But it's fun. I mean, I think it's really fun, you know. And I also think on television they usually try to get you to have very tiny, unnoticeable right, yeah, exactly, yeah, And I think that's why it was so different, right, And I mean we're different in many ways, as we know, but I think that was one of the big differences. And I think for me sometimes it took a little getting used to because I was like that thing's so big or whatever, you know. But but I mean that's the you know, the joy of it.
Speaker 2: Very Yeah, I'm very cautious about stuff like that. I get timid to you know, I don't want if it's a beautiful long earring and it's gonna swing through the whole bar scene. I'm like, oh, yeah.
Speaker 1: It's true. But I feel like something came over us in season three. And I mean not so much me because I am still playing Charlotte, but I think we were just like, yeah, I think the newness of it all and people sending us things, we were just like, yes, we're excited, and it reminds me of this beautiful gold butterfly.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what I was going to bring up. Also, Kenny J.
Speaker 1: Lane, amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so. It just made that dress.
Speaker 1: Didn't it. And she wears this on the cover of Time magazine and our photo shoot, doesn't she.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I believe you're right.
Speaker 1: I think she does this hanging in my closet. I should have checked before I came wow, because I love that. It's my only picture I have hanging on us. Because I think it's so funny that it says, who needs a husband?
Speaker 2: Interesting? I wonder if I have that magazine. I have so so many You do I have boxes?
Speaker 1: Where are they.
Speaker 2: In the attic of the condo? Oh?
Speaker 1: We should look that would be so much fun.
Speaker 2: So many next episode said yeah, you're welcome to Paul through. Oh that would be fun craziest, big huge articles on all of you guys.
Speaker 1: And about this right and what body shape do you have?
Speaker 2: Are you heuraging?
Speaker 1: Chilette still makes me so mad? Okay, so mad? Are you thin? Like Sir Jessica, I was like, you guys, come on, I have a scene recently though a lot of stuff on Instagram about how rough the two thousands were for women, you know, in terms of body expectations and shaming, like it was so intense.
Speaker 2: It was intense. It was intense. Any kind of bathing suit scene would would unravel anybody, anybody, Okay, Oh and when do you hear?
Speaker 1: I agree?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: I know. I mean the funny thing, Sir Jessica has her wonderful style, but like when she wears those board shorts in the second season, Oh, I love it so much because it's so her. Right, But if Sarah Jessica Parker can feel self conscious, yes, anyone anyone can hope for There is no hope. There's no hope for any of us. But we were in such a pressure cooker, you know, it was really intense, and I remember, I don't know if I've told this story on the pott. I don't think I have. When we were doing the first season, when people were really confused about what the show was, right, like, they didn't know where we like real sex on HBO, you know, in the middle of the night, know what the heck? They were, right, But people the paparazzi, at least the fashion people in the paparazzi knew Kandas Bush now, so they knew of the article, the column, you know, the book. And I was at this event one time. I was just wearing my regular clothes. I think I was with my publicist and we had to go buy and check on another client who was at an event. So we kind of swung by after going somewhere and I'm just in the back trying not you know, I'm not really there, right, and the populazzi you're there and they're chatting with me and they're saying, what are you doing? And I was like, oh, we're working on this new show, Sex and City for HBO. And they say, oh, Sex and City like Candace and I say, oh, yeah, yeah, it's based on Kandas's column. And this woman paparazzi says to me, well, you don't play Candace because you're not thin enough. I mean she might have actually said you're too heavy. I can't remember what she said. It was so mean, and I was like, no, I'm not playing care and I'm like trying to be polite, and I'm like, where's my publicist? I'm going to die? And then I would see her on Red Class so upset and I was like, why are you like this?
Speaker 2: You're a woman, are you a woman hater?
Speaker 1: Right? And you're a paparazzi and you're a woman paparazzi.
Speaker 2: Like come on together.
Speaker 1: But they'd just be so like openly to your face. Do you know what I mean? You're like, well, you're too heavy, you're not thin enough, you can't possibly play her. And I was just like, oh lord, and my other thing. I don't know if I've told this story on the podcast either, but it reminds me of it. So this is when like weeklies were coming out, like us weekly people, what there's more that have gone away, like Life and Style or whatever. There are so many Yeah, and every week my mother would be like oh blah blah blah, saying blah blah blah, and I would just be like, mom, I don't want to know. I don't want to know, because obviously they were just all about, you know, critiquing everything and or stirring up comparisons. Yes, So one time I'd had something happen that I wasn't happy about, and so I was walking home, as we all do in New York when you got to walk something off, right, So I'm walking something off and I stop at a at a bodega to get some Eminem's. And I go up to the counter to get the Eminem's and this girl behind the counter says, oh, I can't sell you these, And I'm like, what do you mean? She goes, yeah, you shouldn't be eating these.
Speaker 2: Stop. I gonna get away with any Please give me have this woman. I mean, I cannot believe that story.
Speaker 1: I know this is what it was like. Wow, like people were invested in your thigh circumference. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: That is mind blowing.
Speaker 1: It was scary, and I remember just like crying the rest of my walk, like wow, why didn't I just say, like, guys me, I'm trying to buy something in your store, And why didn't I just go to the next boat. I don't know, but it's like it hurts so much.
Speaker 2: It threw you for a loop.
Speaker 1: Threw me for a loop, which is how I felt a lot of the time back then. I have to say, honestly, if I'm just being honest, all right, we are gonna cut this into two episodes because Molly has a lot to say and we love to hear it. So please join us later in the week on Are You a Charlotte to continue talking about season three with the incredible Molly Rogers.