Speaker 1: I was crossing the street when I met the love of my life. I chased after her. Nothing would stand in my way, not the dog walker nor the hot dog vendor. Finally reaching her, I asked, what do you call that amazing smell?
Speaker 2: It's gate Flings.
Speaker 1: Gain Flings. My love had a name, but more importantly, it had a cent.
Speaker 3: Fall in love with gain Flings.
Speaker 2: Seriously, good sense.
Speaker 4: Try gain Flings today with special savings that family dollar.
Speaker 2: Fenn the Fan.
Speaker 4: It's time for Vikings Country, brought to you by Miller Lyte.
Speaker 2: Now here's your host.
Speaker 4: Of Vikings Country from Kfan and the Vikings Radio Network.
Speaker 5: Muss Young faking a flitting Harrison Smith and the boy come at it. Picked up by d Jay wanst d j wahams first National Football League touchdown has tied the game.
Speaker 2: In thirteen No man rush, He's hit and he's stacked.
Speaker 5: He is hit and sacked and taken down by the player of the game, Harrison Smith with his third saptist game, his second sack as he throws his helmet in joy to the Viking sideline. First time he ever had a two sack game in his career. This is this one hundred and sixty ninth game. Well he has three sacks today, Ky.
Speaker 2: Save three. Welcome to Vikings Country, Ladies and gentleman with the Miller life. We're here, that is Heights. We're at Jimmy's. I must and special guests for us here today, Harrison Phillips.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's great to be back on with you guys. Thanks for the long waited invite.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do you mean, Oh, come on, my people have been reaching out for a while. I know, I know, I hear that, I hear. Also, you turned down an opportunity for the twins game, which, by the way, twins win. Ladies and gentlemen popping up for that three won. You could have done a lot of different things, but you showed up here and I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Loyalty man.
Speaker 2: Horrible Harry the nickname there, and it's far from it. If you get a chance to meet this guy last time that we hung out. Since that time, you're married now married man. Yes, Yes, life's.
Speaker 3: Good so far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you and Shay and she said yes and the whole works.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, a long time coming, long overdue on me, but we did it right and it was great.
Speaker 2: Are you like every other married couple? Or you're like telling your friends, like, really, it's no different.
Speaker 3: I mean we were already mine went, mine, went wedding, honeymoon, and then kissing goodbye. Now is gone for training camp. So the first couple of weeks were really easy. But you know, now we're back in this routine and yeah, man, it's it's it's solid. It's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, congratulations. The biggest question, though, is how is skunk butt face?
Speaker 3: Oh, Martin, God, he's incredible. And Marty, yeah, he is my dog. My wife actually uh has a huge passion for animals, and so we've we've fostered she fosters a bunch of animals through some of the local rescues here. I think we just had two or three from second hand hounds most most lately. So Marty is uh learning to share and learning, uh, you know, to to be around others. That the whole world doesn't revolve around him, but we sure try to make it.
Speaker 2: We hear Taylor swift and shake it off, kick it off the segment. We'll get into some of that a little bit later here. I'm sure you're very excited about that because no one's talking about it. But what we are talking about is that when against the Panthers ladies, and yeah, Gill on the road, Marcus Davenport, My good. We've all been hearing about it. You guys obviously saw a little bit, you know, the most fans didn't get a chance to see. But he comes out and that guy is disruptive, to say the least.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've been a fan of his. We actually trained together coming out of the combine. We got a picture together all flexing in our workout stuff from twenty seventeen or eighteen or something, and we're locker mats now. But yeah, he's an incredible football player, and you know, I know he's been itching to get back out there. I think that's something that sometimes overlooked as fans is these injuries are real things, and if you can't go out there and be your one hundred percent self, it's obviously going to affect you know, your play or whatever. So you want to make sure you can go out there and put great stuff on film. And so we're so thankful to get him healthy, thanks to our staff and everybody. You don't make sure he's feeling good because he was disrupted as head.
Speaker 2: You know, and then you've been here, this is your second season here with the Minnesota Vikings Harris and Phillips. Since my guest here at Vikings Country with Miller Lite, the official beer sponsor of the Minnesota Vikings, Harrison Smith ends up having just a monstrous game where he's got the three he had of course that strip, sack, fourteen tackles. I mean, that's an incredible game.
Speaker 3: No matter who you was, it's an incredible season, right, dude, Harrison Smith Man. I remember finally on the plane after I had, you know, things chilled off a little bit. I just shook his hand and I was just like in awe to be doing it at that high of a level for this long and to dang near single Handley win ups a football game. Uh, he's a He's a really cool guy. I mean, I I'm a fan. I'm just I'm a fan of a teammate of mine. That doesn't happen a lot in my career, but I'm a huge fan of his. And gosh, Hall Than.
Speaker 2: You grow a sweet beard, my friend. And I don't mind telling you that. Sitting that's close to you, Yeah, it's glorious mustache. I'm married now, I know, I know, I know you're smoking for Mustache Monday. Did you take did you take part of that? And how did you approach it? And thank god that that didn't happen before you got married? Yeah, yeah, we did.
Speaker 3: Uh, I partake. There was a handful of people, you know, Kirk was really trying to fire it up, and I took the approach of we got a lot of grown men that can grow out some impressive facial hair, so I might have to take it out of that category. And I went full costume with it, and uh pulled out the stone cold Steve Austin little you know, go tee the whole thing. And I believe you know, I was a runner up, but they said that they couldn't give it to me based on the costume itself. But Halloween's coming, so I might just reuse it a.
Speaker 2: H are you guys being the Halloween?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know the teams most most NFL teams do a player only a Halloween event where they'll run out of place and do a costume contest and all that stuff. And in the years past we've kept it pretty I don't know, maybe immature like Disney stuff or Nickelodeon instead Bunny of stuff. Yeah, and uh, you know, maybe we step it up in more adult, scary, something else. So we're we're in the mix right now. You have any recommendations, I don't.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe you guys can go Travis Kelsey and Days.
Speaker 3: That's a good that's funny.
Speaker 2: So everyone is talking about this, we might as well get this out of the way. Everyone is talking about of course, Johnny Pecker, I mean Johnny Hecker, Paul Allen on the call. I don't know if you've heard this, but have PA was on the call and Johnny Hecker was about to punt and just it's kind of kind of slipped.
Speaker 3: Sure slipped, Ye, sure you've talked to p A.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure. What do you think of this whole trailer thing? That's what they're calling. You always mash up the name, So Travis and Taylor, the whole trailer thing. And if there's a chance that she actually comes to US Bank Stadium, is that at all distracting? Distracting for the opposing team or the home team in this case? I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't believe.
Speaker 1: So no.
Speaker 3: I mean I think sometimes you'll be on a TV timeout or something they'll show famous people at the stands or who is at the game, and stuff.
Speaker 2: I think it's cool.
Speaker 3: I mean, I I admire anybody who does incredible accomplishes incredible feats in there, uh you know, in their in their field. What is so for Taylor Swift to accomplish everything she's done in the music industry, obviously you have to tip your hat to that's extremely impressive. So, yeah, she wants to come out. I'm sure maybe my drive ticket prices up or something, but I'm winning. I'm focused on winning a football game this weekend, and honest can do pretty yeah, I can can lock in on that.
Speaker 2: Let's be honest. If you're going and Taylor Swift shows up at us Bank Stadium, it'll be the cheapest ticket.
Speaker 3: You bought to actually see, right, USBA say, yeah, probably.
Speaker 2: You gotta feel kind of good, just a little bit, you know, it's finally not a quarterback, right. Quarterbacks always get you know, the starlets and the you know, the big musicians, big names and big celebrities and stuff like that. It's kind of nice, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think that the tight ends are on the come up for real, not just with Travis in this situation. In the last couple of years, you've started to see that position get the recognition it deserves. And look at you know, our tight end room is one of the deepest in the NFL, and we love our guys.
Speaker 2: Harrison Phillips is my guest here and I still love it to this day. When you signed with the Vikings, you had a post that was a Michael Scott quote. Oh yeah, and I still love it to this day. I have no idea how high I.
Speaker 3: Can fly, right, Yeah, office is incredible. Actually, on the way over here, I was listening to like a podcast thing and it was office Trivia. I didn't do as well as I thought.
Speaker 2: I would, but oh really, yeah, we are you upset with yourself?
Speaker 3: You're like, yeah, there's a couple I should have known.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about this. You know, Harrison's Playmakers is one of the coolest things ever. And what I love about it is not only its message, but also the fact that you utilize it in communities that really have made a big impact in your life, from Omaha to Buffalo to here in the Twin City. Tell us a little bit about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so my foundation, you know, we've been rolling for my whole career, even when I was back in college. But Harrison's Playmakers works with individuals with development differences and special needs, and we just try to provide really any opportunity we can to encourage and to support and to instill the values of paying it forward into any community that we can. And we're very unbiased. Or I say that my heart is you know, has a lot of love to give. And so we have Harrison's playmakers, or are individuals with down syndrome, with autism, we have visually impaired playmakers. We have individuals who have spinally bifita cancer survivors. There's there's so much love to go around, and it's been really remarkable to see the growth of it. And we're completely volunteer base, right like I run the thing myself. We don't pay a person.
Speaker 2: Oh this is what I do.
Speaker 3: If I'm not doing football and watching film, this is what I'm doing. You joked about marriage. Is probably the thing that comes up the most is how much how much time that takes from from our relationship. But she notes in such a big part of what I what I do, and who I am, and I'm only going to be in this position for however many years that God allows me to. And you want to make the biggest impact you can while you're here.
Speaker 2: You spoke to the U of M wrestling. Yeah, okay, So what kind of messaging do you give out because I know that's a.
Speaker 3: Background for you, right, Yeah, man, I love wrestling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so I mean, what kind of message do you throw out to a wrestling chamer. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think that what I explained to them was a little bit about teamwork and how hard in my time when I was a wrestler younger, I didn't see the team part of that sport, and I think that's why I lost my passion with it. Compared to football. You know, I need eleven players all together firing on a cylinder to make a play happen, and in wrestling, I didn't.
Speaker 2: And I love that.
Speaker 3: And my favorite plays in football are not plays I've made. They're celebrating teammates, plays like fricking Harrison Smith. Well he just went and did for us. That's a great mummory off for the rest of my life. I didn't have that wrestling because I thought of it so individualized. And then I also talked about the trade off between like people who are kind of comfortable being mediocre versus people who are really really hard working and that tension can really rip apart a team. If you have a guy who's really, you know, trying to always get every single ounce out of himself to become better, and he got a guy across from who might be better than him him right, more talent, and he's not working as hard. It could be truculent for a team. And so I spoke on those.
Speaker 2: Truculent very nicely played. It was really good. I'm gonna google it when we go to the break.
Speaker 3: I think it's right.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing is that now you wrestled, you've already referenced Stone Cold, you get dressed up as him, So I mean, I know it's gonna be a while down the road.
Speaker 3: I think with the compliment, with the beard and everything, you're just trying to see me in a single.
Speaker 2: It would you would? Would you? Okay there, you're not wrong, but you're very truculent. I think I'm using it right, But no, is that something you would ever think about down the road? Is like after the NFL career?
Speaker 3: Uh? Yeah, I would, I would? I would?
Speaker 2: You already got the nickname.
Speaker 3: I feel it out, Yeah for sure. And I told people for a long time if my football career ended at a time where my body was still healthy enough. It might be ignorant to say, but I would. I would pursue wrestling again and see if I still got it.
Speaker 2: All right. That's awesome. By the way, would you like to hear Paul Allen and one of the greatest calls so far this season? It's the Minnesota Vikings Brett blakemore hit.
Speaker 5: It and now Johnny Hecker's in the game to pond. Now, gotta be careful with Johnny Pecker. Johnny all right, three two, you gotta be alright, three two. You gotta be careful with Johnny Hecker because he liked to pad.
Speaker 3: I don't know how I didn't hear about this till right now.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we we have not played it at all on KFA N or The Power to the Morning Show. No, not at all. Had we played that? No, No, we never do. The'd be careful with Johnny Pecker. You can join Pa at the Monte Cello Buffalo Wild Wings this Friday from nine until noon. Friday Football Feast presented by COR's Light enjoy food and drink specials and a chance to win biking stickets and more. Visit Vikings dot com slash bww for full schedule and details. More coming up. By the way, Vikings Country, Ladies and gentlemen, Harris and Phillips is our guests. We're here at Jimmy's and badness.
Speaker 6: At Children's Minnesota. We raise them up by fighting for health equity and racial justice in our community and beyond. Together with state and federal legislators, we help pass a statewide law ensuring access to free school lunches for all kids. Because we believe that your child and every child should have the opportunity to reach their best health. That's why we raise them up. Children's Minnesota, the kid Experts. Learn more at childrensmn dot org.
Speaker 4: FNN The Fan, It's time for Vikings Country, brought to you by Miller Lyte. Now here's your host of Vikings Country from Kfan and the Vikings Radio Network mus While.
Speaker 5: The play Active pulls out to the rights Pumped fire COT pup Downson Jefferson. It is the second touchdown this season for JJ. Ten throne by Cousins and his ten sixth Carolina takes the snap buyers to be in zoned to Jefferson Doctor.
Speaker 2: They tangled JJ and they paid Welcome back, Buck, He's got Trey Ris Miller light. We're here at Jimmy's and Badness Heights again. I must there's some phillips Is hanging out with us here number ninety seven for your Minnesota Vikings. How about that, JJ man, I mean, we're all that you're talking about, like when you're watching teammates and they're having just unbelievable things happening and that they're creating. Justin Jefferson. We already knew he was ridiculous, but man, is he off to a ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Start here in twenty twenty three best wide receiver in the National Football League bar none. But I think you guys all know that. The whole world's kind of starting to know that now. But I can't talk enough about as the type of person he is. It's incredible to see a superstar top you know, m VP type player and and he doesn't even like know it yet based on you know, how how he candles him stuff and everything. Yeah, yeah, high character kid, respectful. I can't say enough positive things about him. It's he's a really special teammate.
Speaker 2: Before we start going into the five typical stupid Vikings Country questions, yes, Patrick Mahomes. I mean this is a defensive nightmare where some of the times and sometimes most of the times, a broken play is the best play that they have for the Chiefs. Defending a guy like that on the defensive line. How how difficult can that be, especially when they have a pretty good run game too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one hundred percent. I think you know, he's a superstar, Kelsey, superstar. They have a ton of great players all across their their offense and their defense. You know, I know from past experience, unfortunately, how how good and how quick they can they can they can do things, you know, the thirteen second game when I was in Buffalo, and yeah, we have a we have a tall task in front of us, but man, are we eager and excited for that that opportunity. You know, it's still early. So I've just been watching the first couple of games of film myself. We'll go in tomorrow and really start our due diligence. But yeah, it's it's so fun. But again, the competitor and all of us, you want to play the best, you want to beat the best, you know, So it's exciting.
Speaker 2: As a DT. Do you watch any stuff like if it's not your game. You're watching. It happens beyond TV, and your wife's upset because you're working on the foundation stuff not paying attention to her. But Chris Jones, Yeah wow, I mean, what what this guy is? He can turn a game around anytime it seems like he wants. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think what actually caught me most impressive when I was just watching their game the other night was the success he was having lined up at different positions across the defensive line, Like he has a d tackle, but he was getting sacked.
Speaker 2: Over it end.
Speaker 3: Sometimes he'll put him out of nose. Sometimes he put him at three. And I mean since I entered the league, he's been a household name and he's been doing it for a long time. And you know, I'll definitely be you know, I like to watch the trenches when I do have a spare moment in the game, So I'll love to see how our guys block him up.
Speaker 2: Harris and Phillips is here with us five typically stupid Vikings country questions. Yeah, all right, Jimmy Butler, Jimmy Buckets. Are you a basketball fan?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I like the playoffs playoffs a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anything any sporting event at all, it coulofs pickups sticks with my butt cheeks, and I'd be like, yeah, I'm watching that, watch that one. Oh, come on, you would Okay, So Jimmy Butler, he's.
Speaker 3: Just pulled that out of the field.
Speaker 2: I got a lot of time on my hands. All right. He's played for the Wolves, but nonetheless he is now he's going to be a country artist. He's coming out with a country album. Are you musically inclined at all? And would you come out with any kind of music.
Speaker 3: Unless it was for charity?
Speaker 2: Probably not.
Speaker 3: So you're saying, there's maybe a Christmas thing for you know, my playmakers or something, but probably not.
Speaker 2: Probably not. H Here's the second one. A woman is suing Walt disney World after one of the water slides gave her such a bad weggie she had to be hospitalized and needed surgery.
Speaker 3: That's actually terrible. You can't say it with a smile on your face, but I feel for that woman if that's real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, your swim funks were her breaks. I mean that's yeah.
Speaker 3: I hope her she's okay and her family's okay.
Speaker 2: Do you have siblings?
Speaker 3: I have a sister, yes, Oh, you have a sister.
Speaker 2: Okay, because I have older siblings and so a weggie I know a little something about, especially the atomic weggie where they take the waistband and put it over your head.
Speaker 3: It didn't require surgery, so no, I made it through.
Speaker 2: Thanks you for asking.
Speaker 3: That's a headliner.
Speaker 2: Yesterday was National Name your Card Day. What was your first car? And did you name cars when you are growing up?
Speaker 3: I feel like I did. My first one. I can't remember.
Speaker 2: I can't remember her name. There was a female.
Speaker 3: She was like a ninety eight Tahoe with about twenty five on them. Yeah, duct tape, the door shut type thing. No, no third wheels, seats, no third row seats. They were just not there.
Speaker 2: You didn't drive over puddles because your feet might get wet. No, but it made it.
Speaker 3: It made it all the way to Stanford, twenty six hour driving.
Speaker 2: It got there. It's, of course October. We've already talked about, you know, maybe some Halloween ideas for your costumes and stuff like that. Are you into like scary movies and who is the most terrifying that you remember, like still almost funds your dream as far as like a movie goes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love scary movies. A big fan of them, more on scary movies that could be real.
Speaker 2: Versus like, oh yeah the stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, But I remember growing up the movie The Ring was a one that got me because I had seen it when I was young young, I'm talking like six six years old or something, and that static that's yeah, I know, that'satic screen always what happened when I was like switching the TV on or going to a game or some sort. And that one that one's get to shit up.
Speaker 2: So my last one is for you. Croctober Fests. Are you interested at all? Every year, my wife and I we throw a croctober fest. We have neighbors and friends and stuff like that. You take a crockpot, everyone brings one over to the house. You wear stretchy pants, and then you have cocktails and then you just absolutely feast.
Speaker 3: It sounds like an old man's fraternity party or something. But I won't be participating this year. What I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm absolutely shocked by that. I can't believe it.
Speaker 3: All.
Speaker 2: Right, big matchup coming up here? What is your direct matchup this weekend that you're most watching? And I know you already said you gotta get in watch a little more film and stuff like that. But that offensive line, especially with the guard playing center for the Chiefs. You know, what's that matchup look like for you?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You know, I'll have to wait till we kind of see what our scheme is and how we're all lined and stuff. But I think that that group does because there's some veteran leaders there, Joe's been doing it for a long time, and I think they're coast really well. They're how well they're jellled together is more of the true test. And so with some movement around or whatever and the but I think there five is up there for one of the you know topps in the league, and we're definitely excited for the tall task.
Speaker 2: Ahead of us. Yeah, it's gonna be a big one in at home, which you gotta love being back at home.
Speaker 3: Yeah is it?
Speaker 2: I mean, what is that experience like that? That opening for Vikings games is so ridiculous. There's no way near I could be neither near the food of food. I'm sorry that crack terverfest. But the field because well look at.
Speaker 3: Me, but man, just sitting in that stadium, I wish, I wish I could replay my first Vikings home game over and over again. That's that experience is incredible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got to oh you had it back?
Speaker 3: Was the fire I'm talking abou dragon coming out of the fire.
Speaker 2: Yea, yeah, the fire was still coming out of the dragon. Because that's huge. Yeah, that was a big Then somebody had it going reckon Harrison Phillips, Ladies and Gentle then careen Vikings Country with Miller Likes. Next week we're gonna be at Vix and Victoria. Go to Vikings dot com slash Vikings Country to find out where we're gonna be. And if you're heading to the game at us Bank Stadium this season, try the all new Vikings inspired beer from a Hop Valley Brewing crafted it for the fans, goo Bleed Purple and hop Hola. It's a hazy ipa. It is a game day gronk fit for Bahalla. Again, thank you buddy for showing up. I know you could have thrown out the ceremonial first pitch at the Twins game and you decided to come here, but I appreciate it. Right here, I'm k f A. Have a great night. You know that big bargain detergent jug is eighty five percent water, right, eighty five percent water. I thought I was getting a better deal because it's so big. If you want a better clean tipods are only twelve percent water. The rest is pure concentrated cleaning ingredients. Ask me to end ACoM thing paints and shoppers.
Speaker 3: If you want a real deal, try typods.
Speaker 2: Don't pay for water, pay for clean. If it's got to be clean, it's got to be tyepods
Speaker 3: Water content based on the leading bargain liquid detergent