Speaker 1: One of the biggest misconceptions about buying a home right now is that you have to wait for the perfect moment, perfect rates, perfect timing, perfect market. The truth is that moment doesn't really exist. A lot of buyers pause because of headlines or assumptions, but every situation is different. Race change, market shift, and personal goals matter just as much as what's happening nationally. That's why talking to a local lender can be so valuable. When you contacts Doctor Mortgage, you get paired up with a local lender. That lender will give you your options. That lender will explain the situation. You can ask your own questions. That's what it's all about, getting to the closing table as simple and as easy as possible. Our friends at scot To the Mortgage focus on helping people understand their options. Whether you're ready to buy now, later or just starting to ask questions. There's no pressure to make a decision, just a chance to get real information and a clear picture of what's possible. Sometimes the smartest move isn't waiting, it's getting informed. Visit stock to dot com today to learn more about your options. MLS eight two five nine, Equality and Lender n Mols Consumer Access quarterback.
Speaker 2: I remember two. This is gonna be half ks sorry fun, half Whitney basketball fun. We're gonna do some county stuff with Billy. But I got a couple things until then. One person rights, Matt, did you know there's a movie coming out next year with Bugs Bunny where the coyote sues the ACME company for blowing him up and John Cena is his lawyer. That sounds completely made up, so I bet it's probably true.
Speaker 3: Now I don't know if I'll catch that one. What a wild concept. That is a wild It's a good pick for it, though. One person rights, Matt.
Speaker 2: I can't see you doing any job, much less being a prison guard. You would been the worst prison guard ever. Well, first of all, I've had jobs, yes, Can we say the jobs I've had?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Worked at Movie Warehouse great, great, great employee.
Speaker 5: I miss movie Warehouse.
Speaker 2: Movie Warehouse was great. You asked me any movie from ninety five to ninety six, I checked it in. I worked for the Middlesborough.
Speaker 6: Daily News, important at a reporter.
Speaker 2: I worked at Triple A as a summer travel agent.
Speaker 5: You weren't out there changing the tires where.
Speaker 2: You People younger people Mario like doesn't even know what a travel agent.
Speaker 5: Is, but it used to.
Speaker 2: Like young people don't think about before the internet, how did you book where you were gonna go? You know, like if you were going to go to Jackson, Mississippi. Why But if you were you, you wouldn't know what the hotels were.
Speaker 6: No, why need a travel agent to look at?
Speaker 2: A travel agent would look it up for you. And I would sit there and take calls and they'd be like.
Speaker 5: A lot ago to Paria or not.
Speaker 4: Give me a hotel.
Speaker 5: You get a hotel.
Speaker 2: And it's there an applebee and I would do that. There was like this little machine then Hearts Dry Cleaners, which is still out there on South Broadway. The North Broadway just picked up some clothes from there. Could have been you that starts to uh Asual Living.
Speaker 6: At the Patio Furniture place.
Speaker 5: Is that place still open?
Speaker 6: It's off Richmond Road, right.
Speaker 2: No, it was, well, I don't know where it is now. It used to be off New Circle Liberty Road. Okay, it was Liberty Road was where their warehouse was. I would deliver grills to women, like middle aged women trying to seduce you. As the grill boy got off the truck. That happened multiple times.
Speaker 4: How do I apply?
Speaker 2: I don't know. It's casual living still open. I had a lot of good memories at casual Living. That was a lot of fun.
Speaker 6: Did you do it one summer?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Every day I would just get in there at like eight am. They'd give me my delivery order and I was on the open road all day, nobody bugging you. And because I knew eastern Kentucky, they usually send me out to London or Corman or like, I'd deliver all the stuff out there. I loved it. That was a great job. And then I worked. Yeah, that was it. Then I became a lawyer, which is not really a job.
Speaker 6: Wasn't there some connections with Trinity Church with Casual Living in you they hired you?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 4: Never mind?
Speaker 2: All right, I don't know what that is.
Speaker 7: Billy is here dry cleaning? Surprising? I never heard that story.
Speaker 5: Yeah, did dryly.
Speaker 2: That's a hot job because the one because like not like it was exciting, it was like physically hot because I mean in the summer. Now, I was like I've said this before. That was in the air when everybody would gt their genes started. All these people would come in and they'd be like extra starch, and you'd look at them and go okay, and they go extra start and you'd give them jeans that were standing up by themselves. Neg, that's not enough start, break them in half. It the would just yell at you all the time. I spent the whole summer getting yelled at for not having enough starch in the jeans. It was all right, Uh, we were doing the counties. Yes, Uh, you gotta have to remind me where we put where we left off.
Speaker 7: We have Butler in Caldwell County.
Speaker 2: All right, so Butler County.
Speaker 7: Is that Morgantown, morgan Field that Morgantown, correct.
Speaker 2: Morgantown one of our first affiliates was I think Morganfield Field was our first first one, but Morgantown.
Speaker 6: Came right after.
Speaker 2: Well, part of the reason Morgantown came right after is I couldn't get him. I kept forgetting which was which, and I would say the other one so much that they finally just took the show to shut me up.
Speaker 6: We used to go there every summer doing the show.
Speaker 2: Morgantown. We go to that the guy who would paint cars.
Speaker 6: Yes, you remember that he made us a big KSR thing that.
Speaker 5: He made us.
Speaker 2: I still have that that little KSR medal. Yes, I wonder if he's still going.
Speaker 6: I don't know, all right.
Speaker 2: So Morgantown in Butler County go ahead.
Speaker 7: Yes, part of west central Kentucky, formed in eighteen ten from portions of Logan and Ohio Counties, named after Major General Richard Butler, who is also the namesake of Butler County, Ohio and Butler County, Pennsylvania. No way, Yeah, he served in the Revolutionary War. How did he get three states to do a county for you?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 2: Shure, Butler County, Pennsylvania is where Trump got shot.
Speaker 5: It is. That's why that sounds familiar. He was a major general.
Speaker 2: So the same Butler that's in That's where the Butler County where Trump got shot.
Speaker 5: Correct?
Speaker 2: What a small world.
Speaker 7: The population of about thirteen thousand people. The county seat is Morgantown. Butler County's history and early growth can be traced back to the boating traffic that used to flow on the Green River. In eighteen thirty three, the common In eighteen thirty three, the Commonwealth of Kentucky introduced a navigation system for the green and barren rivers, including locks and dams that allowed more commercial traffic to reach the county.
Speaker 5: Did they still do those?
Speaker 8: So?
Speaker 5: Remind me?
Speaker 2: I know what a damn is. A lock is what it's.
Speaker 7: Like when you raise and lower the water level.
Speaker 2: So that that is what it is. Right, they've raised the later and lower. Have you ever watched that happen.
Speaker 7: I've seen a Panama Canal thing where they do.
Speaker 2: I think that would be fascinating to watch it in real time.
Speaker 6: They have one of the Kentucky River Kentucky Lake I think down there.
Speaker 2: So they do it for like boats they raise and how long does it take?
Speaker 7: I'm not sure on the length. But over the next twenty years, Butler County's population doubled because of that, and two more towns were incorporated on like the locks, Rochester and Woodbury.
Speaker 2: I've never heard of those.
Speaker 7: Growth slow during the Civil War, where Butler County witnessed a few minor incidents, but after the war, in nineteen oh seven, former soldiers from both sides came together to create the Confederate Union Veterans Monument in front of the Butler County Courthouse in Morgantown. It's one of the only two monuments in Kentucky that revered both sides of the war instead of just one.
Speaker 2: Oh really, wait a minute, So they both are in the same.
Speaker 7: The monuments on both both of them.
Speaker 2: That's interesting because that was the part of the state that was like that was where they were battling, right, Like that was Am I correct about that? Like that part of Kentucky there were active fights.
Speaker 7: Correct, less in Butler County than maybe of the surrounding counties. But do you know that because that was in the research that they had a few minor incidents. It wasn't as much as some other places, gotcha. The Finny Hotel in Woodbury dates back to eighteen sixty seven. The hotel played an important role in the economic development of Woodbury as a river town, catering to riverboat travelers on the Green.
Speaker 2: Still there, it.
Speaker 5: Is, but it's abandoned now.
Speaker 7: By nineteen fifty the hotel no longer served travelers and had become a private residence. It is historic, but now abandoned. That is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Like no one's there, correct, Yeah, people think it's haunted as well.
Speaker 2: Would bead if you had a hotel that's two hundred years old. That just sits abandoned. Can you imagine what that's like inside? Creepy?
Speaker 6: Is what's like inside?
Speaker 5: Haunting?
Speaker 7: Right there, haunted by the ghost of a little girl that local lore suggested.
Speaker 2: Was murdered there, Well, somebody was murdered.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 7: Since nineteen eighty, Morgantown has put on the Green River Catfish Festival during the week of July fourth.
Speaker 2: We've been to that. Remember we had Miss Catfish on the show.
Speaker 5: You did have Misscatfish on the show, that's right.
Speaker 2: I still remember that Mits Catfish because I asked her, I said, what are the what are what does he have to do to miss the Miss Catfish? And she said, smiling wave. I was like, well, okay, I forgot about Miss cap That was early KSR remote maybe one of the very first ones. Miss Catfish came because they have that really good restaurant.
Speaker 5: Yes, you remember, we would to.
Speaker 2: Go there every year.
Speaker 6: They don't take credit cards.
Speaker 2: Don't take credit cards. That food is so good you can still it's still open, right. It's right off the Western Kentucky Parkway, isn't it.
Speaker 6: I think we did a show there too. I think at that restaurant.
Speaker 7: Yes, uh, square, dancing, tractor shows, live music, beaty pageants, and an annual fishing tournament in which anglers fish for tagged catfish for cash.
Speaker 2: Prizes Miss Catfish Long Time.
Speaker 7: And then some people from Butler County Medal of Honor recipient Don Jay Jenkins for his actions in the Vietnam War. It is from Quality, Kentucky, which is in Butler County, an unincorporated town Pendleton.
Speaker 2: They say what they got I did to make him get the Medal of Honor.
Speaker 7: He was wounded and then went back into action. I'm not sure on the specific. Pendleton Van Diver is a legendary Kentucky fiddler and uncle of Bill Monroe. His music helped influence the sound that Monroe later developed into bluegrass.
Speaker 2: What was his name, Pendleton Van Diver.
Speaker 5: Yes, name, and you don't hear that name very often.
Speaker 7: And Claude Charles Blotch was born in Woodbury. He was the admiral who was in charge at Pearl Harbor during the attack in nineteen forty one.
Speaker 2: Well, he was in charge, so I didn't go very well.
Speaker 5: No, No, it was the.
Speaker 2: Guy was in charge.
Speaker 7: An admiral who was in charge at Pearl Harbor was from Woodbury.
Speaker 5: Wow, a lot of history.
Speaker 2: There a a lot of history there in that We got what is the name of that restaurant? Is it Country Kitchen? Country Kitchen kits exactly with the kitchen with I think it's still open.
Speaker 6: Great homemade pies if you're driving.
Speaker 2: On because you know, if you're driving on the Western Kentucky Parkway, there's nothing nothing, worst road, no offense in America for stuff. But then you get to Morgantown. It's the one exit. And if you get off and you take a rite and you go like a mile, that Country Kitchen it is awesome. I highly recommend that, Drew. It's a great pit stop on the Western Kentucky park It's still open.
Speaker 3: And their Facebook profile picture is just a picture of pie.
Speaker 2: That's all you need.
Speaker 6: I'm telling you, that's what I remember about that restaurant.
Speaker 2: I I you know what, I don't know when we're heading west again, but I will stop. That's go. That place is really really good. All right, So there's Butler County. What's next?
Speaker 7: All right, to Caldwell County we go in Western Kentucky, formed in eighteen oh nine from parts of Livingston County, named after John Caldwell, a Revolutionary War veteran who was elected the second lieutenant governor of Kentucky in eighteen oh four.
Speaker 2: And that's on the Mississippi River, right.
Speaker 5: I believe so.
Speaker 7: Yes, he died while presiding over the state Senate in his first year from inflammation of the brain. Unfortunately, the county seat is Princeton in eighteen thirty eight.
Speaker 3: Downtown that's not on the mission, No, it is this neighbor's Madisonville.
Speaker 5: This is the county over form.
Speaker 2: This is the place I wrote about in the book that had the mayor that was like twenty three years old.
Speaker 5: Remember that.
Speaker 2: I remember that he's the youngest mayor in America. Was in Princeton. It has that is a beautiful little downtown there.
Speaker 5: Yes it is.
Speaker 2: But he was They elected him like right out of college to be the mayor. Don't know what happened to that guy. That was like six years ago.
Speaker 6: I've forgotten that view.
Speaker 2: But that was Caldwell County.
Speaker 7: Oh that's better than electing a dog like many Kentucky counties.
Speaker 2: This guy Princeton's a decent, little sized town and he was the mayor.
Speaker 7: A lot going on in Princeton in eighteen thirty eight in downtown Princeton at Big Springs Park was where Cherokee Indians camp for several weeks on their forced migration west on the Trail of Tears.
Speaker 2: We went there ways, Tom and I went to that place. Yes, the Trail of Tears.
Speaker 7: Plant historic site there in the late seventeen nineties. James Ford was a respected businessman who grew up near Princeton. While known as a pillar of the community, secretly, Ford led a river piracy gang called Ford's Ferry Gang.
Speaker 2: I've heard of this. Yes, they were river pirates.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Ford and his men robbed boats on the Ohio River and he became infamous in the area. James was eventually killed by his own gang members.
Speaker 2: Well, you can't trust anybody that, so they there were pirates on the Ohio River attacking I didn't know about this boat that grew up right next, Like.
Speaker 5: That would be a really good movie.
Speaker 7: Great, But he also lived a double life. So many people thought he was this great guy.
Speaker 2: So he was just like a local businessman who was a pirate. On the night would put on an eye patch and be a pirate.
Speaker 7: I don't know about the eye patch, but at night they would go out and rob these boats.
Speaker 2: Huh okay.
Speaker 7: Also in Caldwell County. It is a core part of the historic black Patch region, famous for its dark fired and dark air cured tobacco. The area was the center of the violent black Patch Tobacco Wars from nineteen oh six to nineteen oh eight, when local farmers rebelled against a major tobacco monopoly.
Speaker 2: Have you ever read about this, No, it's one of like the Great American worker uprisings. The tobacco farmers in Kentucky and I believe maybe Tennessee. They essentially just would just revolted and like kill the owners. The black Patch Wars they went on for would you say, two years? Two years?
Speaker 5: Two years?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a fascinating part of history. There was one something similar in West Virginia which in coal mine in the coal mining area and then tobacco in Kentucky strict So the really like and they and they couldn't quell it. They would just keep coming.
Speaker 6: This all took place in Colwell County.
Speaker 2: No, it was a blot. It's a big area place.
Speaker 5: It's in the s Yeah, big area, gotcha.
Speaker 7: The Masked Vigilantes group known as the Night Riders fought against the major corporations and farmers who helped them by destroying crops, burning warehouses, and intimidation. Fighting lasted for two years before the Kentucky National Guard had to step in.
Speaker 2: You hang tight, Okay, We're going to take a break before we get the rest of yours. But first, corn bread hemp. If you need a botanical a botanical goodness with cornbread's non alcoholic sprints, crisp and refreshing beverage made with adaptogens like lemon balm and passion flour. They have it at Liquor Barn, Total Wine, Fresh Market Cocks, and Evergreen Liquors. It's cornbread sprints for your favorite bar restaurant, corn bread grown for the good life. Lots of people like saying country kitchen. I would say definite. Like, if you're talking country cooking, can you think of a place we've been to that's more country cooking than that?
Speaker 6: Plus that one of that one we go down there in Campbellsville that doesn't take.
Speaker 2: Great Grandma's or whatever. That one's close. So I think this may be the last one. We'll take a break of right back, kas y'all doing.
Speaker 8: Okay tonight out there and Uh.
Speaker 5: Television land and.
Speaker 8: We're gonna do a song that was a big number one hit record for me, and uh, boy, he was really glad about this.
Speaker 5: Of all the country songs.
Speaker 8: That I've done, Uh, it was really nice to have a bluegrass number one record, so uh believe me. I was mighty tickled about this. And Bill wrote this about his Bill playing uncle Uncle Pen.
Speaker 5: Get it, boy, there we go.
Speaker 2: Kendallton van Diver from Butler, Pinton County is the Uncle Penn from uh fro from this famous.
Speaker 5: Bill Monroe song.
Speaker 6: Very cool?
Speaker 2: Did you know? Do you know this song? This is one of the famost famous bluegrass songs of all time.
Speaker 6: I don't know this and it's named after Uncle Penn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it started Bill Monroe and then Ricky Skaggs had a big hit with it. So there you go. Butler, I didn't know that.
Speaker 6: It's very cool.
Speaker 2: Uh CJ me and told me I did not real a bunch of you did. By the way, the guy that was the youngest mayor is now the County Judge executive of Caldwell. He's probably still in his twenties. Yes, true rising star in Caldwell County. All right, go ahead, what's what's what's your next?
Speaker 5: Yeah, continuing Caldwell County.
Speaker 7: Since nineteen twenty five, the county has been home to the University of Kentucky's College of Agriculture, with extensive experiment farms. The College of Agriculture in Princeton is a leader in horticulture and biological science in the twenties.
Speaker 2: You're saying the University of Kentucky's agriculture school is in Caldwell. That's not true.
Speaker 7: It's been the home of the University of Kentucky College of Agriculture since nineteen twenty five.
Speaker 2: I thought it was out there on Newtown Pike.
Speaker 5: These are the facts, So you know, I don't have a campuses. Maybe where the.
Speaker 6: Fields are their.
Speaker 5: Field that I could see that the experiment farms.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, okay, all right, I can believe that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, still largely agricultural. But Caldwell County is home to the Bremner Factory, the largest private cookie and cracker cracker factory in North America.
Speaker 5: Really, I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, I don't think I knew that the largest cookie factory in America's largest private cookie and cracker factory in North America. Private.
Speaker 5: What's A.
Speaker 2: I guess, so it's not publicly traded. So Brimmer? What kind of cookies are Brimmer?
Speaker 6: I'm trying to think. I don't know if I've ever heard that before. To be honest, I've never.
Speaker 5: Heard of Brimmer either.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, are they good? I would like to support Kentucky cookies? What's what kind of cookies are Brimmer? They're private, Matt, so we may not know a lot about it. Drew, you look up the Brimmer cookies. Go ahead, Billy.
Speaker 7: About three miles from Princeton, a spot on Crider Delaney Road off US sixty two West, you can find Gravity Hill. Drivers stop under a concrete overpass, shift their car into neutral, and if you take your foot off the break, your car will drift uphill.
Speaker 5: I've done this many times. You've been that I was driving.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, wait wait a minute.
Speaker 5: What what now been to Gravity Hill?
Speaker 4: Many?
Speaker 5: Many, many say to me, what happens?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 3: Like, as you said, you just put it in neutral and you're sitting there and suddenly your car just starts going up the hill.
Speaker 2: I don't believe that it does.
Speaker 7: Many have tied it to ghost stories and urban legends, but scientists have confirmed it's an illusion, an obstructed or false horizon combined with the angles of the surrounding embankments and the overpass structure trick the human eye regarding which way.
Speaker 5: Is up or down. I have a story from her.
Speaker 8: Really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's gravity hill, so you get tricked to think you're going up, but you're not. Okay, Now I want to see this, don't you. Oh, you've done it many times. I took my friend. We had a handicapped van. It was his family.
Speaker 3: It's called the H five. We took it there one time and I was driving and got a flat tire. This woman came out of nowhere in the darkness and helped us change the tire, and then we look up and she was gone.
Speaker 5: That absolutely happened. Shout out to the age five. We had all kinds of people in there, and I was the driving. I started moving up there. Yeah, she just walked out of nowhere.
Speaker 2: She just came from the darky change your tire, helped us, and your car went up there, and your car went uphill, not all in one fell swoop there.
Speaker 3: The car, I believe had already gone up the hill and we were on our way home. We went to dairy queen that night good times.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm I'm going to skims story because that did not happen. I would like to feel what you're saying, so like you, you have felt it going uphill.
Speaker 5: For being honest, it's a little disappointing.
Speaker 2: It does it does?
Speaker 3: It does seem you do feel like you're going uphill, but you're probably picturing like a mountain. It's not that steep. It's steep, but it's not. But you do feel like you're going up hill. But I could understand if it's an illusions.
Speaker 5: Move uphill that that's fair.
Speaker 6: Have you done this No, I've never heard of it before.
Speaker 5: And then the woman comes out of the woods out of nowhere.
Speaker 2: Wow, now I want to do that. We should get the youngest county judge executive yes to go and take us to go uphill, gravity hill.
Speaker 5: These the things you do when you grow in Madisonville, Kentucky. After the night.
Speaker 2: Actually think it's fascinating. I do think your story about the woman coming out of the dark wearing a gown there was.
Speaker 7: No gas and onto people of Caldwell County. I only have two, but I got two good ones.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 7: Mabel Stark is referred to as one of the world's first female tiger trainers. She eventually joined the Ringling Brothers and has gotten worldwide recognition.
Speaker 2: How she got into that, I'm not sure. How do you learn your tiger.
Speaker 5: Train Look and ask Joe exotic and uh.
Speaker 7: Martha Nelson Thomas was born in Princeton. She created doll babies who were immediately ripped off in the inspiration for Cabbage Patch kids.
Speaker 2: Oh, I bet she's mad, because there was a time where Cabbage Patch kids.
Speaker 5: Were in the eighties.
Speaker 2: They were, Oh my godness, that was the big that was like beanie babies, Like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that her doll babies were the inspiration.
Speaker 2: And she did. She should have sued if she had a lawyer.
Speaker 3: Well, that's unfortunate. And then of course cabbage you got more. Tony Franklin football coach, Yes from Princeton, Okay. And your friend Scott Jennings he went to Dawson Springs High School, but he was born in Princeton.
Speaker 2: I know this. I mean Scott Jennings is fact. We were friendly, So grew up in Dawson, but was born so he was born And I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: There was also a star quarterback just recently went to Purdue Kentucky recruited.
Speaker 4: Was that?
Speaker 5: Where is that? Where is Cardwell County High School?
Speaker 2: The Tigers? I remember that name? He went to Purdue.
Speaker 5: Did you say Cardwell County was the Tigers?
Speaker 2: Yes? Well there you go. Well, Billy, nice job. What are our next to?
Speaker 5: Callaway and Campbell? Callaway is what?
Speaker 2: Murray?
Speaker 5: Yep?
Speaker 2: And then Campbell? What's the Campbell County Camel's Yes, that's up in northern Kentucky. What city is it?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 6: I have no idea. I can't keep him straight up there.
Speaker 3: Oh that's Corey James Country Alexandria, Alexandria.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's right, Okay, well, thank you very much. Khalil Whitney is waiting outside. I bet he was writing these facts down. He's probably very excited about them.
Speaker 6: Let's can you talk about Drew, about the woman that peered out of the nowhere to tell.
Speaker 2: I've known you, fraid you've never won to brought that story. You're making that up? And we'll be right back this Welcome back Techie Sports Radio. A couple of things. Real Quick Casual Living has closed. They have closed. It's unfortunate, but you know, good memory time good memory. Uh. The guy would deliver furniture with he was this old guy. He had a sun tan. He would just go casual living boys, casual living. Great. That's right here joining us with me for the first time. Khalil Whitney. Nice to have you with franch appreciate it. Hey, I'm really glad you're here. And uh, it has been awesome watching you on the TBT. Let's start with this. You've had a lot of great basketball moments. I know some of them more bigger than this one. But when you dunked that ball at the end of the game, what did that feel like?
Speaker 4: I felt amazing. I was just thankful that, you know, I made a play for my team and we was able to move on in advance. But like we were just talking about, it's very nerve breaking and ending.
Speaker 2: And do you like the mending?
Speaker 4: I love it. I love it. This gives you the opportunity to go on a run if you're the team's down or anything can happen. So he's got to stay locked in fully like.
Speaker 2: And it looked like you were going to murder that camera. I mean the other look on your face was wild.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I had to less some anger out like I was telling God, I said, I missed the three possession before that, and I was pissed off about that. So I just I really just wanted to make a play for my team at the moment, and I came through.
Speaker 2: So what is it like, Like, I know it's a summer game, and I know it's real money if you win, But what's it like just being in the atmosphere? Like you know, once the game start, you guys are intense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, war I really had a Game of Throne.
Speaker 5: Oh, big Game of Thrones.
Speaker 4: Got He's my favorite show.
Speaker 2: Who do you relate to the most Ungame of Thrones?
Speaker 4: I'll say, John Snow, you gotta.
Speaker 5: Be a target dragon.
Speaker 2: That's the dragon. You're the dragon You're not gonna be.
Speaker 4: I feel like John Snow is my favorite character. I mean John Snow is my favorite character. Just his like the way he evolved and what he had to go through coming back from the dead. You know, it's just.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, So your story is a little bit like that. I mean when you let's let's go back when you were here and it ended as you after you left Kentucky, how did you think you would look back at your time in Lexington.
Speaker 4: Not good. I think I felt like, probably years from that experience, that I probably would have the same attitude towards it.
Speaker 2: But which was what?
Speaker 4: Which was it? I didn't want to come back. It's like like a dark hole. Just the energy I had here was wasn't good at the moment, and I felt like that it would it would have stayed like that. But through the grace of God, you know, and hard work and perseverance and just me pouring my heart out, you know what I'm saying, and being genuine and the fans being genuine as well with me, everything worked out.
Speaker 2: When you got how did you get invited back? Like did twenty How did you end up on the team? I think it was last year.
Speaker 4: TV reached out to me right after a little the viral TikTok post that went viral that I posted, and then.
Speaker 2: For people who didn't see it, tell people what that TikTok post literally?
Speaker 4: Was it a TikTok of me? It was a picture of me and a security uniform because I was working security I think like three and a half three years ago, Like it was a moment of my life. I was hurt, I broke my toe, I couldn't play basketball at the moment, so I had to find you know, I had to find something that I could do on the side, you know. Uh, and I was working in security at a nightclub. It posted a picture and went viral. I just wanted to see what people thought of it, you know what I'm saying. I wanted to be genuine, be transparent with people.
Speaker 2: You were acknowledging that you were having a tough time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, just let people.
Speaker 2: And I remember when that came a lot of people. That was my reaction was, man, I want to see good things happen for that guy. So twenty reaches out to you, what does he say?
Speaker 4: So twenty reached out to me a year before, but I was I was playing in Croatia. So he just reached out to me, like, bro, we got to make it happen this year, and I was all in. I was all in for sure.
Speaker 2: Did you have any hesitation about coming back to.
Speaker 4: No hesitation at all, because I knew what it could do for me and I knew what type of impact it would have on the people in Lexington. So I just felt like coming back last year, you know, it helped me tremendously.
Speaker 2: So you come back and that experience last year. That had to be great, right it was. I mean we ended up getting upset and losing in that game, but just you kind of being welcomed back, what did that feel like?
Speaker 4: It was? It was wonderful. I tell people this all the time, like, you know, being embraced me and supported by like a group of great fans here it's amazing. Just like it shows in the court as well, Like I get the utmost energy from the fans when I'm on the court. That's why I'm able to make the spectacular plays I make because I just I feel the energy. So I love playing here.
Speaker 2: Did did it come kind of full circle? I mean you'd had this really negative experience here to then get to have a positive experience. I mean that had to be a pretty good feeling. It's like it is kind of coming full circle in your life.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Like I said, like since last year, you know, TBT opened a lot of doors for me, and.
Speaker 2: We'll give me an example. So did you get opportunities from it? Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah I had. I got my most I got my biggest deal to go play basketball as a professional right after TVT It was like three months after was it in China. It was in China. Yeah, so I got my deal in an NBL ended up getting hurt my third one out there. But I definitely was that's enough and able enough to, you know, fortunate enough to go out there and get an opportunity.
Speaker 2: Like I've never been. What's it like in China?
Speaker 4: It's dope. Like I feel like China is one of the most accommodating place for an athlete, besides the NBA or the EuroLeague. No good money, great basketball. I mean they want you to go out there and score thirty every game.
Speaker 2: So did you like the food?
Speaker 4: Uh? Yeah, no, the foods I kind of steered. I stayed on the Korean barbecue side. They had like a Korean barbecue buffet that you could literally go to for like ten bucks, and they had like all that.
Speaker 2: You were eating Korean barbecue like every meal.
Speaker 4: I was trying to stay on it. I was trying to stay on the safe side.
Speaker 2: Okay, So, well, I got KFC there.
Speaker 4: Usually do Like I was. I was eating KFC too. It's funny you say that, but I was getting tired of just eating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a lot of KFC if you if you eat it all the time, so you come back this year, it's I feel like this group with with the Andrew, you, Archie, Willie, and then you got these these guys that didn't play here, but they've been part of it. I think it's been fun to watch. I mean, there was obviously the little controversy if he's Archie gonna play or not, But now that he's here, it seems like you guys have a great time together.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mean we were just waited for Archer to get here, like he's a huge part of our team, and you know, like we we know what to expect from him. And I mean now that he's here, he's helping us tremendously.
Speaker 2: And you give him a hard time out losing that one on one.
Speaker 4: Nah, nah, nobody. We haven't spoken at We haven't spoken at but right now.
Speaker 2: He got fouled the whole time, like he like he should have won that they didn't call a nim foul.
Speaker 4: It's a different world of basketball, two different worlds. But like like I'm saying, we're we're super like then these these guys are, even the older guys like Willie, my god, trill, he's super lot.
Speaker 2: So tell me about Willie because we love Willy. Yeah, Willi's like he's grandpa out there, but he but he really like playing on one leg. Yeah, and like that. He's been awesome to watch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Bro, his energy has been amazing. Uh, you know, that's like one of my vets. I played with him in the G League, So just hearing him motivated and want to go out there and literally, you know, like die out there for us. So it's like, bro, like we're right behind him and we're super stoked.
Speaker 2: So you're playing Beheim's Army. Yeah, I think somebody, maybe it was Willy said they actually run stuff. Yeah, right, really said he thought it was the team that would run stuff the most.
Speaker 5: Do you agree with that?
Speaker 4: Yeah? For sure?
Speaker 2: Did that make it more difficult?
Speaker 4: It's funny because for teams like us, like garden sets and actions like that is typically more easier because it's like we could switch everything, right, we can blow everything up. We got defenders who could this this bear, I mean like this smother or shooter if you wanted to. So I feel like I don't want to say that, like what's our weaknesses on the team online?
Speaker 2: Don't say that, don't say that.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I feel like it was it was like an even cue with that.
Speaker 2: What's it like beating Louisville? We hate Louisville. I mean, you know, may I remember this was before you hear a couple of years ago Drew got punched at the TVT game. A Louisville fan punched him in the face. This is when they spent Nstina that year. He got just jacked. That's so he's he's bled for TV I'm a victim, So it's gotta be fun beating Louisville.
Speaker 4: No, it was. It was definitely a definitely fun win for us. You know, it was some adversary through that series, but we came out on top.
Speaker 2: So, like I said, now, people tell me, at the end of these games, you stay and like talk and take pictures and give autographs to everybody.
Speaker 5: Why do you do?
Speaker 2: I mean, I know why you do that, but like, what's your thought process? Is that special for you?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Since I was a young and just one in uh, somebody around who you know had a talent or I just looked up to, I just wanted them to show me some type of attention and just you know, with the fans like them embracing me last year and just dem knowing my story and I like majority of them are really in tune with what I go through. I have the utmost respect for those guys, and I just want to show my love and my you know what I have for them.
Speaker 2: And when you say what you go through, like give an example what you're talking about.
Speaker 4: I understand all the things I've dealt with in my career as far as the UK and not me not having experience that I wanted to have here and you know, just coming back and the fans embracing me and wanted me to have a good experience here.
Speaker 2: So do you consider this like home now?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's definitely my second home now for sure, I still have my apartment.
Speaker 2: I will say, your story and to some extent Archie too, but really probably yours the most is the thing I've liked about the TVT the most. I mean, I love that that connection has been able to happen if nothing else occurred from it, watching you and Archie and even to some extent Andrew because he took a lot of stuff here as well, watching you guys feel that love and give it back. I just think it's like, I actually think it's kind of a beautiful thing to be honest, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Yeah, especially like I'm saying, especially after the games, like just knowing the energy the fans give you and you just want to give back and just come out there and like communicate with him and feel what the love feels like.
Speaker 2: So all right, well we're gonna take a break. I want to ask you about the game coming up Wednesday night. But first, you know, if you're a KSR listener, you know Kentucky loves talking about the weather. We had bad web c N. That was the worst lightning I've ever seen in my life.
Speaker 6: For a long time.
Speaker 2: Did you see that? Oh yeah, I mean that was like it was.
Speaker 6: Crazy, yes, all over the place.
Speaker 2: And I was thinking to myself, well, if something happens with my roof, see RC roofing.
Speaker 6: There you go.
Speaker 2: What are you laughing at, Khlil, exactly what I was thinking before long, everybody's picking sides, but with your roof, you know exactly what to look after if there's a storm or weather condition. Remember KSR listeners get a free roof inspection and can save up to one thousand dollars on a new roof.
Speaker 5: Khalil, if you need a roof.
Speaker 4: I might blow the roof.
Speaker 2: You're gonna blow the roof off. CRC Roofing and go CRC Roofing and Renovations the team you want on your roof. I know what Khalil Whitney knows it. Crccompany dot com slash KSR. We'll take a break right back to Kentucky Sports Radio. Running back Tucky Sports Radio. We were just talking during the break, Khalil, you played with Maxie and Quickly in your year.
Speaker 5: Here are you?
Speaker 2: Maxie's gonna it's one of them, maybe ten to twelve best players in the league.
Speaker 5: Did you see that coming?
Speaker 4: Definitely? Uh, there's some of the things he used to do in practice, and his work ethic is slim and none like. I just I think he will be a future Hall of Famer. I think he'll win multiple championships. I just think he has the if factor.
Speaker 2: He's a frenchise did you did you you saw that coming though?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've seen that the second week on campus. I've seen that coming.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 2: Well, he and Quickly both, I mean they both would do that little running float or you know that's that's quite a shot. Did they teach each other that?
Speaker 4: I don't know if they taught each other that, but I think it was probably a competitive thing of like who who is probably going to have the best one or yeah, finished the best.
Speaker 2: But tell me about playing for cal what's that it was like?
Speaker 4: Off the court? Cayle is an amazing guy. Like me and coach Cayles do communicate to this day. You know, he checks up on me like on the court. He wants the best from you. But at the end of the day, you got to understand it's a business. So whatever decision he made back then, when he made it, I can only respect it.
Speaker 2: Though, do you you do keep in contact with him?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Right? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Is there when you see Kentucky guys? Is there a Kentucky kind of brotherhood thing of guys even if you didn't play with him, that you feel a connection to him?
Speaker 4: Uh? Yeah, with with some of the guys for sure. For me, definitly the guys that's been in tune and some of the guys I played with, it's a little different, definitely, like John Wall. You know, me and John Wall was close, Like going through my pre draft in Miami, I was locked in with him so and then Anthony Davis being from Chicago just having that pipeline and DeAndre Liggins being from Chicago and Tyler Ulis. Yeah, yeah, got a lot of guys. So definitely.
Speaker 2: What what's John Hood like as a coach?
Speaker 4: Great coach? Is he really great coach? Even even better, even better person.
Speaker 2: I'm impressed by how locked in everybody is when he's when he's coaching.
Speaker 4: He's Uh, he carries an energy that like I've only had from two of my coaches. And really, yeah, he gets the best out of you. Great extra news. Guy can draw up a hell of a play like you guys seen what the first.
Speaker 2: Game against against Louisville.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and uh, he drew that up and we we we made it. We played it to perfection. So John Hood is one of the big as reasons we're being successful, right all right.
Speaker 2: So now you're gonna play Kansas tomorrow night. What times of game seven, seven o'clock tickets on sale? I think it's gonna be a great crowd. This is for the Alumni Championship. If you win, you're only one game away from the two million dollars Kansas be fighting though, bought a lot last night to what's going on there? Are you gonna have to hey, you're gonna have to be ready for them.
Speaker 4: I don't know, man, We're going to keep up our professionalism. We're here for the grand prize.
Speaker 2: So do you what do you know about that group? I mean, it's the it's the two winningness programs of all time going against each other.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's not gonna be easy. No game has been easy in this tournament. I mean for the amount of money you're playing where it's going to be passion out there for sure, like a lot of passion and emotions.
Speaker 5: Am I right?
Speaker 2: It's like winner take all, isn't it. I Mean that's that's kind of in and of itself cool that you get this, like somebody's taken all of it and the other one's getting nothing. Nothing.
Speaker 5: Come into this whole month and don't know you get anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what I'm kind of like, I'm not surprised guys do it. But why do you think why do guys sign up for this knowing like only one team is gonna win the money?
Speaker 4: I think one it's a it's a comfortability thing, knowing like oh, if you get it, like you could chill for a second, if you if you're actively pooping or you just don't want to take a job that plays a factor in it. And also like this with this situation, my situations, like we're playing for Kentucky, Like we're gonna have a good chance of winning, so it's like, why not, you know, come out here and give it your all. And that's what that's the problem I have with some players who don't show up. It's like, you know, we're the favorites, we have a good team, we have a great fan fan base, is like, why not show up and get the job done?
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you were talking to players who maybe haven't played yet, because we're gonna have a whole new generation of guys who will be eligible over the next few years, would you encourage them to do it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, just knowing just giving back just for the fans. Uh. You also get to win some money and when you come back, they show Matt love. So it's like it's a win win situation.
Speaker 2: I mean, Mario there's basically on the team as much like we do all think of Mario every time he's out there dancing in the games, like you are.
Speaker 4: Bro, He's super energetic, just like we are, and that's why we feed off each other. Bro, Like it's what we do.
Speaker 2: You played against the group that's gonna be the team next year, right, did you all play?
Speaker 8: What?
Speaker 2: What? What are they like? We haven't gotten to see him.
Speaker 4: Uh, they're good, They're good. Yeah. I think back got a great group of guards. Lymph is definitely their calling card. Defense. Reno is definitely definitely improved.
Speaker 2: The kid uh zoom Diallo and.
Speaker 4: Zoom Diallo super hocky, super like speedy guard and get downhill, make plays. And the kid at Hawthorn his braiden braiden. Yeh.
Speaker 2: You like him?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he put on some weight. I feel like he definitely can be an X factor for his team.
Speaker 2: We like that.
Speaker 5: That's good, that's good info. Is it true that Pope put the full court press on you all?
Speaker 4: And like he did? You like?
Speaker 2: Chill out, man, We're just.
Speaker 4: We only had like five or six.
Speaker 5: Tell me just just.
Speaker 2: Chill all right. Well, one thing I've been wanting to ask you. Do you like quality sunglasses? I love well shout about Shady Rays.
Speaker 5: Every bit is.
Speaker 2: Premium as the expensive brands Khalil, but they don't cost nearly as much. They have the best lost and broken replacement uh system of any sunglasses, and you can they got one here right out here at the summit. Shady Rays go to Shady rays dot Com. Thirty percent off go Shady Rays for your polarized sunglasses. I'm gonna make them hook you up with. I can't get you a roof because I don't know what I would, but I think I can get you some sunglins.
Speaker 5: Okay, order madness back all the dance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was hey, Seriously, it's been great watching you do this. I'm pulling for you. You showed vulnerability years ago that a lot of guys wouldn't. You were rewarded for it, which I think is wonderful, and it's been great watching you. And I'm pulling for us to win, but I'm pulling for us to win as much for you as anybody there.
Speaker 4: Appreciate that, and I appreciate you guys having met before we go your.
Speaker 2: Cars seven o'clock tomorrow night at Memorial I'm coming so you could come to Khalil Whitney. We'll see you guys tomorrow. This has been Kentucky Sports Radio