Speaker 1: Ooo Weed. July came in Hot, Hot, hot hot. I don't think there's a single spot in the country that hasn't been experiencing higher than normal temperatures. How are you beating this heat? Do you have air conditioning? Are you spending time by a lake or on the river? Are you sipping cool drinks a little lemonade while you're sitting in front of the fan, and are you chilling out with lots of great music? Two legendary music groups are going to be turning up the heat even more. The Commodores and The Pointer Sisters recently announced an exciting limited run co headline tour, an evening of icons celebrating Motown's sixty fifth anniversary with a combined legacy that spans across decades, over one hundred million albums sold, twenty number one hits, ten top ten albums. These icons, these artists are set to take audiences on a journey through the very best of funk, soul, R and B and pop, with support from special guest The Spinners. The first tour leg kicked off July eleventh in Illinois and will be making stops in Wanta, Raleigh, Tuscaloosa, Tampa, and more before wrapping up in prim, Nevada on November thirtieth. One of the greatest Motown and R and B funk artists of all time, the Commodores. The Commodores have influenced innumerable artists in all genres with their classic hits. The Commodore is formed in sixty eight while in college at Tuskegee Institute, after being discovered by Barry Gordy. The Commodores went on to sell over sixty million records for Motown with hits like machine Gun and Sale On. They've remained a force in the music industry for over five decades, with achievements spanning from Grammy Awards to multiple number one singles like Brick House, Easy, Night Shift, three Times a Lady. Motown was the place where dreams took flight, They've said. Sharing the stage with another legend like the Pointer Sisters as Motown celebrates their thirty fifth anniversary is truly special. We're proud to continue to celebrate the music that brought us all together and the Pointer Sisters. They have enjoyed a long and successful career in the music industry after starting out with very humble beginnings singing in their father's Church in West Oakland, California. They went on to achieve worldwide success and secure a place in pop music history with numerous Grammys and American Music Awards. The eclectic, versatile pop R and B quartet was originally formed with sisters June, Anita, Ruth and Bonnie Pointer. Bonnie left the group to pursue her solo career in the late seventies, and the Pointer Sisters became a trio known for their fun songs like I'm So Excited, Jump for My Love, and Neutron Dance. They helped pave the way for future black artists, being the first for many opportunities in the music industry. They were the first black female group to perform at the Grand Old Opry. They were one of the first black acts to have videos played on MTV. In addition, the sisters were part of the iconic recording of We Are the World, and they hit the big screen in nineteen seventy six with the film car Wash starring Richard Pryor. The eldest sister and only remaining member of the original group, Ruth Pointer, continues to perform the music of the Pointer Sisters all over the globe, only instead of with her sisters. She is with her daughter is a Pointer, and one of her granddaughters Sadako Pointer. So can you guess who might be our guest today. I jumped at the chance to spend time with Ruth Pointer, and I'm so excited to share this conversation with you today, right after I give props to one of today's podcast sponsors. Have you been looking for a milk replacement because you have dairy allergies or sensitivities. Well, I found one that's absolutely amazing. It's Sherry's hazel Cream, made from Oregon hazelnuts. This plant based milk stands out from the competitors because it's designed for cooking and baking. It all started because Sherry, who could no longer tolerate dairy products, wanted to make gravy, but not gravy that tasted like coconut or oatmeal. So by enlisting the help of her engineer husband and a friend that's a food scientist, and through much trial and error, Sherry's hazel Cream was born. Because of a special roasting process, It's very neutral and taste and works with a large variety of recipes. It comes sealed in shelf stable easy to use, pre measured portion pods that you place into your blender, add varying amounts of water to make milk cream or even condensed milk for pies and other mouth watering desserts. It's delicious and mashed potatoes and cakes and creamy soups and even casserole dishes. Visit Sherry'shazelcream dot com to learn more about this product, to read Sherry's story, and to place your order. It's at Sherry'shazelcream dot com. C h e Ris hazel Cream dot com. Use code love twenty four for ten percent off your order that share hazel Cream and Love twenty four. Welcome aboard, Welcome to Love Someone with Delilah. It is a red, red hot summer. And I'm so excited to have our guest on today's edition of Love Someone, because I have loved you from afar Hi Ruth, and now I get to I get to see you in person, or well not in person, but in zoom and find out about what you're doing, and find out about the new addition to the Pointer sisters, and I can't wait to talk to you about your daughter and your granddaughter and talk to you about this great music that is part of the fiber of our DNA, like the music of the Pointer Sisters has become a part of the DNA of our world, of our generation, of the younger generation. When I told my twenty year old daughter, she's at work right now, that I got to interview you, she started singing and jumping around, and I thought, this is wonderful, this music that's become a part of us and binds us together with chords of love. So welcome to Ruth Pointer and the Pointer Sisters going on tour and going to be performing with the Commodores and the Spinners right correct, celebrating sixty five years of Motown.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, we were with Motown a very brief moment, and I think it was during a period when they were going through a lot of transitions, you know, I think Barry already had left and someone else had taken over, and we were excited just to have ourselves attached to Motown quite frankly, in any capacity, because we had admired them for years and years and years, and all the artists that came along with them, the Supremes and the Temptations and the Ivy Brothers and Ladys Knight and Tips, and I was like, oh my god, We're going to be a part of this. So it was exciting for us, you know, it was exciting for us.
Speaker 1: How did you go from your papa's church singing in your dad's church? You girls, you sisters? Who really were the Pointer Sisters? I don't know if everybody knows that you really are sisters.
Speaker 2: He used to irritate us so much an interview. Are you really sisters? Yes, we're really sisters. Why would we make up a name like Pointer? I don't know, I mean, I don't know, but yeah, and Dad, we grew up with my dad, pastor to church in Oakland, California for over twenty years, and we, of course, being the pastor's daughters, were expected to sort of be role models for the other younger girls in the church. You know. My dad always, you know, insisted that we'd be part of the choir and participate in all of the church activities, you know, the summer camp meetings and Bible schools and all that kind of stuff and youth conventions and and it was I mean, the only part I loved about it was being in the choir because I could sing, I learned early in my life to love music and singing.
Speaker 1: And do you still love the old I'm sure. I'm sure you guys put your own unique twist on some of those old hymns that I still loved today.
Speaker 2: You know, our church was very I don't know if the word is traditional, but it was the Church of God. And I know that a lot of singers come out of churches that are pretty much Pentecostal and very sort of jumping, jumping and gospel. That was not our church. And as far as I'm current concerned, my opinion of our church was boring.
Speaker 1: Why can I not picture the Pointer Sisters ever being boring?
Speaker 2: We weren't, And that's the church was boring because we weren't boring. And I was always looking, you know, just from going to other girlfriend's houses that were playing music like you mentioned earlier Motown records and you know, different songs that I never heard before because my parents were very strict about what we listened to at the house. And I heard all this different kind of music when I would go to my girlfriend's houses, and I was like, oh my god, this is amazing.
Speaker 1: Okay, I gotta ask, how did Dad respond the first time I heard you guys your recording of slow Hand.
Speaker 2: My dad wasn't here when we did Slow Hand. He was already gone.
Speaker 1: Could you imagine if he was here, how would he have responded a pastor of a conservative church.
Speaker 2: My mom, who was still here, had already accepted, and my dad had accepted. You know who we were. And I have to say that we did make it, make a conscious effort to not be totally embarrassing to our parents, you know, by our song choices that we picked. I mean, some of the things that I hear today, there's no way we would have said, oh yeah, we're going to sing about that, and and know that my parents would have approved. So I was.
Speaker 1: I was in radio back when Slow Hand came out, and I remember some of the stations in my town wouldn't play it. They thought it was too.
Speaker 2: Heard about, that too really.
Speaker 1: To too sexual. And now you listen to stuff now, it's like there's nothing left of the imagination a thing, not a thing, and there's nothing sexy about it.
Speaker 2: No, slow Hand is modest compared to what I here today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the boy Back in the day, you guys were blazing trails.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I guess we were. And didn't even know it, you know, because we just we were just singing what we liked, and we we knew the song was kind of sexual because me and my sisters had talked about the lyrics okay, and had thought, yeah, more men need to listen to this song because everybody seemed to be in such a damn hurry, you know. Oh absolutely, Oh my word.
Speaker 1: So now you're on tour with the Pointer Sisters, only it's not your sisters, but it is your family.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it's definitely a different experience because no one can replace my sisters, you know, and they know that, and they knew that coming in, and they were terrified. And I would just say, look, just do your best. You were born into this, both of them were, and because they don't know me any other way. So we just rehearsed a lot and they just pretty much get up there and have fun is what they do.
Speaker 1: So tell me. Tell me about your daughter and your granddaughter.
Speaker 2: My daughter Issa is a product of me as a Pointer sister, and her father was one of the Temptations, Dennis Edwards.
Speaker 1: So there is no way that child cannot sing. There is no way that child does not have the best voice. God ever created.
Speaker 2: Come on, please I created, and I was like, oh yeah, she will sing, and she does have a voice and personality and stage presence, and she and I have a lot of fun up there. My granddaughter is she's more of a dancer, and she's younger than my daughter. And that's not my daughter's daughter, it's my oldest daughter to Starter, and she just brings such a youthful, playful element to the lineup, which sort of takes the place of June, my baby sister.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: She's just kind of fun and dancing and she'll go all out in the audience and she sinks, jump and it's just fun, you know.
Speaker 1: So three generations of Pointer women are going to be touring the nation and cranking out great music along with the Commodores. I know, I know, I love the Commodores. Oh my gosh, what a fun, fun show.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I was telling somebody the other day, I don't know if I'm going to be able to stay in the dressing room when the other acts are on, because I want to go out and see what see the show, like I'm part of the audience, which I do a lot anyway. Whenever we're performing with anybody that I've loved. I mean, I just I just love doing that. It's my opportunity to see another act up close. Because I don't go to a lot of concerts, you know, I really never have. But this gives me an opportunity to see you know who I love of close. You know, didn't have to wait in fine for it.
Speaker 1: That's why I don't go to concerts. I don't want to deal with traffic, and I don't want to wait in line for restrooms or tickets or anything.
Speaker 2: Parking, all of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I'd rather just you know, come down here in my studio and chat with you this way.
Speaker 2: Well there you go, see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and have fun. And so you're going to be with the Commodoers and the Spinners, right, yes, yes, And.
Speaker 2: We've always loved the Spinners. Oh my god. All those great songs that they had back in the seventies and eighties. Whoo my god. I'm just they're going through my mind right now as much as we speak.
Speaker 1: What people don't understand a lot of people today, I think is how hard you had to work back in the sixties, the seventies, the eighties for people of color to get a fraction of the recognition they deserved. You had to work ten times harder, and the obstacles that were. You know, now we look at all the top artists are women of color, men of color, all of the top recording artists today. But when I started in radio, I was not allowed to play two black artists in the same half hour.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm sure it was that way, yeah, because oh, I mean from my own experience, I just say that today's artists are so blessed and they're so much much more informed. You know, we were naive and nobody told us anything, you know, so we didn't know about money being made from songwriting except just the surface things about it. We were always told you got to go on the road, you got to make your money out there in your concerts. And meanwhile, the record companies were.
Speaker 1: Just clean cleaning up, breaking in the dough while they pimped you out.
Speaker 2: I mean, the managers were living in mansions and driving rolls Roycees. And we we were, the four of us girls were still living together in one house and driving one.
Speaker 1: Car and touring on a bus probably with no ac not even a bus.
Speaker 2: We were touring on rented car station wagons. Yeah, And I was like, oh God, something is wrong. What the picture?
Speaker 1: But thank you for blazing the trail for so many, you know, yeah artists today, you really did.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you blazed a trail. You said a standard, you learned, you said you were naive, You're not now.
Speaker 2: Nope, nope, not now, Nope nope. I learned how to say no, I'm not doing that.
Speaker 1: How old were you when you learned that magic word?
Speaker 2: No? Wow? I think probably I al must have been in my early forties.
Speaker 1: Felt weird the first dozen times, didn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, early forties. I mean I had Easter when I was for third Well, I had East when I was thirty one, and then I got married again and I have had twins when I was forty seven. What yeah, girls, That's why I ended up back here in Massachusetts.
Speaker 1: Twins at forty.
Speaker 2: Seven, whens at forty seven.
Speaker 1: God bless you.
Speaker 2: I was on the cutting edge of in vitro fertilization and I had had everything in this body.
Speaker 4: Locked down, tubes tied, I ain't having no more kids, and they when I met my husband, who's younger than me, much younger than me, and didn't have any children, and in vitro fertilization had come around, and they said, oh, we can find a way around all of that.
Speaker 1: And I was like, okay, that's love. By the way, that is love. You loved that man. Come on, now, that is some kind of amazing love. So how old is your oldest and how old is your youngest?
Speaker 2: My oldest is fifty nine.
Speaker 1: And your youngest.
Speaker 2: Youngest is thirty one. My youngest daughter, the twin, she just got married last year, had a beautiful wedding in Newport.
Speaker 1: Rhode Island, and her daddy still making you smile? Yeah, how many years?
Speaker 2: Thirty five years?
Speaker 1: I'm back thirty five years ago. Did people think you were crazy and try to talk you.
Speaker 2: Out of it? They hated it? Oh my god, that's wondering why we moved back here. We're like, let's get away from these crazy people because they don't understand and we don't need their influence, and we don't want to raise our kids here anyway, so let's go. And he was from Massachusetts, so we came back here. His family was back here, his mom, his dad, and so we raised the kids back here, and I'm glad we did that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sometimes you just got to get a fresh start.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I did get a fresh start. My twin boy is a firefighter and paramedic, and I'm just so proud of them, and they're both college graduates, and I mean, it's it's wonderful. I'm glad I did that.
Speaker 1: And your granddaughter that's singing with you is your oldest daughter's daughter. Correct, So it's like a family reunion every night that you're on stage.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is, and we have the best time. Is some We have got to at some point we're going to have to film the dressing room before.
Speaker 1: The The conversation before the show and after the show is probably as colorful and fun as the show.
Speaker 2: Oh it is, because we party in the dressing room before the show. I bring my boombox and we play songs, and sometimes the song gets so good I get up and start dancing. My granddaughter starts dancing.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're doing. You got to have somebody. We got to find somebody to do a special and to do like a whole little documentary because you're family and everything you've been through, it's all wonderful stories that will I think inspire and encourage a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, we do have fun. We do have fun. We can't wait to see each other.
Speaker 1: We are going to continue this fun conversation with Ruth Pointer today, but pause for just a minute so you can learn about another sponsor who helps to bring these conversations to us. Summer's here, and my makeup routine has to be quick and easy. I'm outside all day. I'm at the park with the kids, I'm hanging out by the creek, I'm in a lake, and if I'm honest, I'm often wandering around the gardens section of my local home improvement store because I'm always on the go. I'm awfully distracted, but i still want to look good. Thankfully, Laura Geller has me covered. I'm going to gush for a minute over her Spackle primer. Laura knows all about the fine lines increases that come with experienced skin, and her primer creates the perfect base for a long lasting look. The lightweight, non greasy formula minimizes the appearance of pores and fills in those little fine lines for a smooth complexion. With six different shades like Champagne, Ethereal, Rose, Glow, and Bronze, you can wear this primer with or without makeup. And become a natural beauty. While it's a perfect for some light summer makeup, I often wear it on its own for a beautiful sun kiss glow. And one thing I learned from my mother never ever leave the house without your lipstick. Laura Geller has created the lipstick of our dreams, present it to us in a perfect curated trio. Her modern classic cream lipstick delivers intense color in a non drying formula. This trio comes in best selling mov Majesty, Pink Passion, and Barry Bliss, three glamorous shade choices that are long wearing and lightweight. The full coverage lipstick allows us to create liplooks that last from AM to PM, from Kitty Park to impromptu photo op in the garden department. You'll want to visit Laurageller dot com for all your summer makeup needs. That's Laura Geller l A U R A g E L l E R Lara Geller dot com. So if somebody wants to go find you enjoy you be a part of the show pointersisters dot com.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, everything is on there on the website, and uh, you know, we're just going to be having a good time there in Maryland and go on from there to Vancouver and I'm there. From there we go to I think Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: And no more riding in a rented station wagon.
Speaker 2: No, that I drove a lot of the time.
Speaker 1: Wow. See, you got to do a movie about this toughest thing. Toughest thing you guys face, you four sisters faced when you first started out. What's one of the toughest challenges you had to deal with back in the day.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess the toughest was the things I just mentioned. You know, we didn't know any better.
Speaker 3: So you know, we were driving around in rented station wagons that we had to rent from the airport. We were, of course flying coach all the time and just traveling.
Speaker 2: It was just tough. We shared rooms when we got to the hotel, Me and Anita with chairroom, Bonnie and June with share room because we couldn't afford to have our own.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, the record companies were making millions. How many albums did you sell in the seventies, You sold millions, millions, And they were.
Speaker 2: Just enjoying themselves and keeping us on the road. You know, we would and we would get home and sometimes and not be able to pay our rent stuff, and we would be like, wait a minute, wait a minute.
Speaker 1: We just entertained massive grounds.
Speaker 2: Just did a whole year of touring. What do you mean? You know, Yeah, it was brutal. It was brutal. It was a brutal lesson, but.
Speaker 1: You learned it.
Speaker 2: We learned it.
Speaker 1: You learned it, and today so many young artists are so much better off and enjoying such a different life because of those ambassadors that paved the way.
Speaker 2: I'll say, I'm so glad that they paid attention.
Speaker 1: They did, they took notes, they learned the lesson, and.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, I'm so proud of them, really, all of them.
Speaker 1: Well, I am proud of you. I am happy that I can't You're coming to Vancouver, Vancouver, Washington.
Speaker 2: Vancouver, Canada, August twenty seven.
Speaker 1: Fun, fun, Well, hopefully I will be able to come and see you.
Speaker 2: And question, is this the same Delilah that I called into the radio station at one point because you cut off the end of a George Michael song.
Speaker 1: No, I'm sure that was some other Delilah. But you know, here's the thing. We used to have to back time to get into top of the hour news so you had to hit the network at the exact moment, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So you were.
Speaker 1: Supposed to do your math fifteen minutes before the top of the hour, so that your last song, you know, fit in there. Oh, I sucked at math. I still suck at math. So I would sit there with my little chart and try to figure it out, and I think I would have it timed out perfectly, and then i'd have to chop off a minute of the song. And it was like thirty six seconds of the song that I chopped and and you were listening, Carol, that is you.
Speaker 4: It was me.
Speaker 2: The minute I knew I was gonna be talking to you. I will never forget that because I was in the car with my girlfriend.
Speaker 1: Sing it along and all of a sudden you hear beep top of the hour news and the song was chopped.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's so and you you talked about it on the air. You said, rooth Pointer just called me and read me the right yea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that that was that was me.
Speaker 2: Oh, you know what, I will never forget that. I don't forget that time I play the song because I still love that song. I tell people that story and they love that story.
Speaker 1: Well, that's that's this, that's the whole story is. I was supposed to back time into the top of the hour, and I thought I had worked it out perfectly, and I cut off thirty eight seconds of the song.
Speaker 2: Girl. I couldn't believe it. It was like my split, my throat had been slit. Oh like, oh no, she didn't.
Speaker 1: No, she no, she did not, Yes she did, yes, she did.
Speaker 2: Well. Hey, girl, you know I forgave you for that. Thank you.
Speaker 1: I am so proud of you and your family, And have a blessed, bless summer with your daughter and your granddaughter and keep us dancing and keep us clapping.
Speaker 2: Thanks oh much, Delilah. Is such a pleasure to be talking with you and see you.
Speaker 1: And I promise I will never well now it's all it's all computer, it's all digital. We don't have to backtime anything. I don't have to worry about it. But oh great, God, bless you, and bye.
Speaker 2: Bye, Hi Delilah, Thank you.
Speaker 1: Ruth is the eldest and only surviving Pointer sister and now she's touring with her daughter and her granddaughter. This has been such a special time for me and I know for my listeners too. Thank you Ruth for taking the time to be with us. Over the years, the Pointer Sisters have received many awards and many accolades, including a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. They've recorded sixteen albums, plus a cat album to highlight their forty six week tour of the musical Ain't Misbehaving, as well as taking part in the recording of We Are the World. In recent years, the group perform all over the globe and with some of the greatest symphony orchestra in the world, including San Francisco, Jacksonville, Atlanta's Symphony Orchestra, and the renowned Boston Pops. You can keep up with them at the Pointer Sisters dot Com. An evening of Icon's a limited engagement road tour with the Commodorees, The Pointer Sisters and the Spinners. Is the celebrations of Motown's best music, and it might be coming to you. If it is, don't miss it. Produced by Live Nation and represented by Seth Scholmes at Day After Day Productions, it will be in select cities this summer and into the fall before its final performance on November thirtieth in Primnevada. Tickets are available at livenation dot com. I hope all of you have found ways to enjoy the summer, even as the thermometer's sore. Unless it's in excitement, don't get yourself too overheated. I'm going to go on record here saying there's nothing wrong with taking a lung cool soak in the bathtub no matter what time of day. Bring some snacks, a book, pull the laptop up, watch a movie, because if the weather forecast is right, we might be in this heat for a while. Be wise, be cool, and take some time to slow down and love someone