Speaker 1: Look out.
Speaker 2: It's only films to be buried with. Hello, and welcome to films to be buried with. My name is Brett Goldstein. I'm a comedian and actor, a writer, a director for the Department of Business and Trade, and I love films. As Andrew Carnegie once said, as I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say and I just watch what they do. Have you seen the film Lock, Yeah, it's just watching Tom Hardy in the car for like ninety minutes. It's very revealing about his character. I'll tell you very revealing. That's true. Every week I'm by a special guest over. I tell them they've died and I get them to discuss their life through the films that meant that most of them. Previous guests include Barry Jenkins, Himes Patel, Sharon Stone, and even lab But this week it's the brilliant actor and legend mister Harold Perrino. Head over to the Patreon at patreon dot com forward slash Brett Goldstein, where you get all the extra stuff for the episodes. You get about twenty five minutes extra chat with Harold, you get a secret You get beginnings and endings of Films. You get the whole episode uncut, and Dad free and does a video. Check it out over at patreon dot com. Forward slash Brett Goldsteam. So, mister Harold Perrino, what an amazing actor he is. He's basically been in all of the groundbreaking things you love. He was in Oz, he was in Lost, He's in the Matrix franchise, he's in Romeo and Juliet, he's in twenty eight weeks later, and now he's in the Amazing Show, from which you can watch on Amazon. We recorded this a while back on Zoom. We've never met before. It's fucking brilliant. It's a really funny one.
Speaker 1: This one.
Speaker 2: You'll see why he's amazing. I love this and I very much think you will too. So that is it for now. I very much hope you enjoy episode two hundred and sixty four of Films to be Buried With.
Speaker 1: Let's get it.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to Films to be Buried With. This is me Brett Goldstein, and I am joined today by an inmate, an islander, a superhero, a vampire hunter, a.
Speaker 3: Red blue red pillar, a devil, a biker, a hero, a legend, a best bit in one of the all time great films.
Speaker 2: And I can't believe he's here. Will you please welcome to the show. It's the brilliant it's mister Harold Berano.
Speaker 1: Cool. I feel like I should clap for myself. Hello, Harold, how are you? I'm really good. I'm good, But how are you?
Speaker 4: I'm good? It's very nice to me.
Speaker 2: I was going through your you quite an unusual your list of things you've done. You are in You've got quite the fucking You're the like al Pacino of TV, like your.
Speaker 4: Your sign.
Speaker 2: You were in the most at least four of the most significant things that have been made, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: And I was thinking, it wasn't us the first HBO show.
Speaker 5: It's the first keyble dramatic show period.
Speaker 2: You're the very first scene, aren't you. It starts yeah, so yeah, yeah, you kicked it off, began the golden at of television.
Speaker 1: It's literally you show literally me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you did Us, and then you did Last which is the biggest network show. And you're you're you're the best place in Romeo and Juliet, and you're fucking Blade and you're in the matrix. You've got a fucking I from you've got an.
Speaker 1: Eye, I've been lucky.
Speaker 2: Well, you're either very very lucky or you've got very good taste, and you've got a good eye for.
Speaker 5: I'm really I'm really really lucky. I wouldn't I could take credit for all of that.
Speaker 1: Really. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Is also I was thinking with your list, like that's a lot of pressure because you go from like a show defining show like ohs and you go, well, I can imagine you think, well, I'll never do anything is sort of defining, is that? And then you do fucking Lost and you're like, Okay, well I never do.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? He just kept going, that's really true. Like I didn't.
Speaker 5: I certainly didn't think about that when we like when we did oz yeah the first the first season, I thought like, oh now my career is over because it was so wild. It was so like we were doing such wild stuff.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh man, that's it.
Speaker 5: We're not gonna work anymore. We're just gonna be here in New York. Well, it was nice while it last. And then when Lost came around JJ abrams his office, they presented it like, hey, it's just like working for Tom Fontana, like he likes to keep it in the family, and I was like, okay, so this is maybe gonna be wild.
Speaker 1: But my career again is going to be up in the air. Is that what that means?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Then it turned out being really really groovy, so yeah, it's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: What was what was the time? I mean, you've had it for so long, but like when lost lost was I mean it still is, but when it was on, it was the biggest shine in the world, right as in the most talked about this kind of it was one of the few cultural phenomenal nuns And like, yeah, what was that like for you in your sort of regardless of how it was to make it, when you just walk in the streets living your life.
Speaker 4: Was it difficult or was it great?
Speaker 1: No, it was. It was amazing. It was really for me.
Speaker 5: It was one of the biggest you know, Romeo and Juliet not stuff was good. The Matrix movies were good, but I say that, but like they weren't good. The very first Matrix was it just changed the whole world, like everything was different after that. And then the second two Matrix movies they were good, but they weren't like they didn't have the same impact as the first one, right, Yeah, Like the first one really did a thing, and so until last I hadn't experienced.
Speaker 1: Anything that was so.
Speaker 5: Fun now and lost really like when people were like, oh, you can do that on network TV and fans were loving it and people were like, that's Walt's dad, I was like, oh, wow, this is this is wild.
Speaker 1: And so it really did change the game.
Speaker 5: And I was super proud of it, Like I wanted to get us all and I did.
Speaker 1: I should have done it, you know.
Speaker 5: And and here in America, will me graduate from high school, we get these like high school rings, right, these like gold rings like super Bowl rings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, kind of like super Bowl rings.
Speaker 5: And I kind of wanted to get it for our whole cast because it really felt like, you know, it didn't even feel like working. It was such an experience, like all of our lives were so intertwined on this island where we were doing this show, like sequestered away from the rest of the world and we were just doing this show that was you know, just a phenomenon. And so I really regret that I didn't get those rings because that first season was Honestly, I feel like some of the best television I've ever seen in my life. Like, I just thought it was amazing the way I cast look, the way the writing was, the directing, Like, I just thought it was some of the best TV I had. I didn't even want to do TV actually, and we did that. I was like, oh shit, oh okay, yeah yeah, yeah yeah, this kind of I want to do this kind of wild TV.
Speaker 2: Yeah like this, Yeah. How was it with We've Lost Something I Lost? I is wonder like the making of it because it's such a big it's a big ensemble show. But it also, unlike say most sitcoms, it was often We've Lost each character had their own turn, right, you had like it was your episode and it would mostly be you and there'd be scenes with everyone. But then if you'd had your episode, you probably wouldn't be used much for a few episodes. And so I wondered, like your your your working life, like was it very sporadic? Were you like sometimes i have a whole week I'm not doing anything and and I'm in Hawaii on this island.
Speaker 5: Or well well not not really the first season, like in the first season, and we would have.
Speaker 1: Days where we didn't didn't work.
Speaker 5: But pretty much because you're really building the world at the time, so you were always always back on the island with everybody. So that very first season there wasn't so much. It wasn't that much of a breakup in time. We didn't have like time off like weeks or anything like that, even though we had that giant cast.
Speaker 1: In the second season, it started to.
Speaker 5: Change a little bit more, you know what I mean, where you'd have a little bit more time off or I don't think there were. Yeah, in the second season, I remember having like like weeks off and like like I left the island and went back to la and like just like weeks off. It was really it was really wild and I'm just growing this crazy furry beard, you know. It was.
Speaker 1: It was definitely different the second season.
Speaker 5: But yeah, the first season, we were all there just working and working all the time.
Speaker 2: Kind of were you if you I mean maybe you wouldn't tell me if this wasn't the case, but were you as a group as a crew, were you will close to each other? We all aware, God, we're making this thing that's fucking special, and it matters, well, how much of how much was that ego problems? And it's such a big cast or how much of you were like we were a gang.
Speaker 5: We that again that first season, we really were a gang because it was all so new to everybody.
Speaker 1: Some people it was the first job ever.
Speaker 5: Some people had done job with this hadn't had a phenomenon show like this. So that very first season really we were all we were all quite close. We That was still the season where if it were Evangeline's episode, we'd all congregated Evangeline's house to watch the episode. This Fox Foxes episode, we go to Foxy's house and botch the episode.
Speaker 1: Mine to say, so we really really did it. And then and then you know, should changed a little.
Speaker 5: The second seem it got a little was a little different, but you know that's just the nature of the Beasts, you know, it went.
Speaker 1: But still here's things.
Speaker 5: At the end of the day, still I feel like those are I feel so close to all those folks. There's not a person on that show who I feel like I never want to see that person again, or like I really like actually missed them.
Speaker 1: I missed that time in Hawaii. I miss having my kids in Hawaii and my kid at the time I only had one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, man, the whole thing was really kind of. It was really special. Again, it didn't feel while it felt like a job, it felt like a life event. It's so much it really took your whole being to be there. Like my whole family moved there, we bought a house there, We like everything we did was in Hawaii, and it was it was just it was a giant It was a giant shift in my whole life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's wonderful, I totally. I think there were a few. There are a few things I think like friends like last like shows like that where it's like you you went through something together, and you know what I mean, like as in it's yeah, very it must be.
Speaker 4: Incredibly bunding forever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure most of it's very positive and wonderful, but it's just this fucking intense that you have this worldwide phenomenon and experience it. I was saying this to somebody recently.
Speaker 5: We were talking about like all the different jobs, and I likened it to listening to what some fighter.
Speaker 1: I like watching boxing and mixed.
Speaker 5: Martial arts and stuff like that, and fighters are like you know, when you go into a ring each time you kind of lose a piece of yourself, but you kind of gain a piece of the person you're fighting, you know what I mean, Like you're like there's something where your spirits bond.
Speaker 1: And that's what I feel about Like.
Speaker 6: Every job, like you know, there's something that you kind of lay it out there and you leave a piece of yourself there, but you also gain a bit of like this thing with this whole group of people that you carry with you forever.
Speaker 1: At least it feels like it's gonna be forever right now.
Speaker 5: I don't know, maybe you know, I get Alzheimer's and I forget all this shit. I don't know not to have that folks at Alzheimer's, But you know, right now I feel like each but like I carry a bit of that with me and there's a bit of myself I left over there, like you know that's on film for the world to see it.
Speaker 1: It feels like that for me.
Speaker 2: And what about if I can go back to the very beginning of it, Like when you did US that's all men, you're in a prison.
Speaker 4: It was like six years? Was it US?
Speaker 1: Six?
Speaker 4: Seven yies?
Speaker 1: Yep, six years?
Speaker 2: And like what when that ended? Was it were you relieved?
Speaker 4: What you said? Was it mixed?
Speaker 2: Like was that a good funding time where you claims that's such a strange show, it's fucking brilliant. But you're right, it's very extreme. There's so much it's very extreme show. Yeah, man, do you know what you left and what you took from that?
Speaker 5: So, you know, one of the things about ours is that we had a real mix of people. We had a real mix of artists, right, actors and uh there.
Speaker 1: We actually had a bunch of the early UFC guys, mixed martial.
Speaker 5: Artists and people whose life was there art. You know, Chuck Zito is this dude who I don't know if you know Chuck, you know, but he had this whole life as a as a biker guy. I don't want to call out what his whole life was. You know, there's a lot of people that are really really interesting in the whole world. So we had a bunch of folks like that, right, And we all were in there and sometimes doing the most horrific shit to each other. But because we all trusted each other, you could you could have a fight with a dude and having a fight or losing a fight, even a fake fight, kind of hurts your ego a little. But then to like have like lose a fake fight and have a guy throw you in the desks and then fuck you like that, you know what I mean, Like literally like pull your pants down and like you know that shit is that that shit that that fucks at your brain?
Speaker 1: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: And we could all do that with each other and then go out later that night and just you know, party like like nothing happened, like And so for me, I gained this kind of this this spirit of like working with people like this, the spirit of working in a group and like leaving my ego like at the door and being willing to you could do any fucking thing to me that you wanted to because of OZ, because I know that if I could get through that, I can get through any I can't imagine somebody could throw something at me that I couldn't get through.
Speaker 1: And so that's what I that's what I take.
Speaker 5: So I take that with me and I leave that like I also could do anything, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Like I could come up with as much crazy shit as you can.
Speaker 5: And so I can hear my I can hear my voice change even as I talk about it.
Speaker 1: It's a just a wild time, man. Really really wild time. What a great group of guys.
Speaker 5: Man, great group of guys and some ladies too, Edie Falco and yeah like Lauren Vilez and Jesus Christ.
Speaker 1: Freedom Moreno was there? Freedom Moreno was their player? Man. We had a great time. We had a great time. It was really good.
Speaker 2: Well, I I forgot to tell you something that I should have said at the beginning.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm sad to say. No, I'll just have.
Speaker 1: To watch my language.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, no, it's it's you've died.
Speaker 4: You're dead.
Speaker 1: You're dead in life.
Speaker 4: You're dead. You're dead. Oh damn it. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: You shouldn't let me know.
Speaker 4: I should have. I absolutely should have remembered. How did you listen?
Speaker 1: What? What a legacy you leave? So? No, man, how how did you die?
Speaker 4: How would you like to die?
Speaker 1: How would I like to die? How did I die? There?
Speaker 4: It's up to you.
Speaker 1: Looking like any other person.
Speaker 5: I'd like to live along, live a long life, Martin King said, But you know I by die I want to be either quick or peacefully.
Speaker 4: But in spectacular.
Speaker 5: No, I don't want it to be to be spectacular.
Speaker 1: Life. But in odds I wind up getting shanked by.
Speaker 5: Somebody who who's as revenge shanking and uh and I, you know, just die in the arms of my prison pops.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but would how would you like to die in this life? In your real life? It would be your dream death.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, And in my real life.
Speaker 5: See listen, that's changed, right, many many times, many times. And when I was younger and I didn't have kids, you know, I did want it to be spectacular. I wanted it to be big and fast. And you know, I love motorcycles. And if I could die like Jacks did on on Sons of Anarchy, just ride my bike into a mac truck, I would when I was when I was younger, because it's just like it would be wild and big and fast. But you know, now that I have kids, at the end of the day, I'd like to see them them grow up and and see that they're leading a spectacular life.
Speaker 1: And then at that point, if you know, a house just fell down on.
Speaker 5: Me because I live in la and there was a great and the tub just fell, you know, from the ceiling and smashed my head.
Speaker 2: I can do that like in the money pit, like you were underneath that.
Speaker 1: Okay, great, Like.
Speaker 4: What do you worry about?
Speaker 1: Death.
Speaker 4: Is this something you worry about?
Speaker 1: I don't know why not.
Speaker 5: I feel like if I worry about death and I feel like that I missed with what I'm doing in my life.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: If I'm worried about like how this might, if I'm so future projected, then then I'm not paying attention to what I'm doing right now.
Speaker 1: And I have a lot of ship that I like to pay attention to.
Speaker 5: Like I said, man, I don't know if you have kids, but I can't express to you the kind of love I have for these human beings and just wanting to be around and do what I can to like you know, I'll show them into some really great adulthood. And so like, if I'm worried about I die, that I'm going to be missing that and I don't want to miss that.
Speaker 1: So that's how I feel now.
Speaker 4: That's nice.
Speaker 1: Like I don't even want to go to work sometimes because I just want to watch.
Speaker 5: But like I got they have to eat.
Speaker 1: I need to eat, so I gotta get to work. What do you think?
Speaker 2: What do you think happens when you die? Do you believe it en after life?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: There are so many possibilities I really do believe that matter doesn't end and it just transforms, you know what I mean. And so these ideas of reincarnation and stuff like that I think in my head are probably really really real. I've said this to my wife and stuff like that. And you ever walk down the street and you're just walking in you and somebody like look at each other, just briefly at the same time, you don't know why, and you just keep moving. In my head, somewhere it feels like matter recognizing that they've been together at some point like oh hey, and then they just keep going.
Speaker 1: I just think it changes forms.
Speaker 5: You ever connect with like an animal that for no reason you're like, oh I love that one. Or my daughter used to have this dog and I fucking hated I hated this dog, and a dog hated me. And the time the dog showed up, I hated this motherfucker and he hated me too, And so like, yeah, yeah, something like it's like a matter thing and some in my head like there's just this constant rotation of matter within you know, this little blue ball that we live that's you know, and until that blue ball goes somewhere that we're all just kind of like shifting and changing and doing things, and so that's kind of what I think, but I like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, before you transmute into a dog you hate, there is a there is a heaven. There's a stop. You get to stop for a bit in heaven. You're very weapon there, and heaven is filled with your favorite thing. What's your favorite thing outside of my kids. Yeah, I mean, I'm not going to lie to you.
Speaker 5: I really love acting because I feel freer in acting quite often than I do in my whole life. I feel free to make any choices I want based on the given parameters, the circumstances, and in those parameters, I feel super free in a way that I don't feel in life. Like every time I curse here, there's a voice in my head goes, you probably shouldn't courage. On this podcast, people are going to do like there's always something, But when I'm acting, I don't have.
Speaker 1: I don't have that voice at all. I just kind of do stuff.
Speaker 5: And it's one of my favorite things to do in the world, Like between action and cut my favorite favorite time of the day, or like when the lights go up on the show with me go in my favorite.
Speaker 2: Times, Well, when you get to Heaven. I'll tell you what it is. It's a series of rooms. Some are set, some stages, and in every room it's a different part for you to play. And it's all the parts I ever wanted to play. And it's you walk in the room, you know the lines, and they say action or the lights come up.
Speaker 4: So it's fucking great.
Speaker 2: Everyone's very excited to see you, but they want to talk to you about your life through film, And the first thing they ask you is what is the first film you remember seeing?
Speaker 4: Harold Perrino my.
Speaker 5: Head, I feel like it's Sounder with Cicily Tyson, like when I was a little little guy.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 5: Wow, I feel like like the first film I remember was like watching with my parents. They used to have like a mattress that just sat on the floor. We'd look up and watch TV. Sounder feels like one of the first ones that must have made some sort of impact on me. Yeah, I must have seen something before them, but that's kind of the first thing I can think of right now.
Speaker 4: And where was this? Was this in La? Did you grab in La?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 5: I grew up in Brooklyn, Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I grew up in a project called Cypress Hills.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: So in twelve ten and three a I remember sitting in that back room watching a sounder on the TV.
Speaker 2: What about being scared? Was the film that scared you the most? Do you like being scared? I don't like scared.
Speaker 5: The film that scared me the most, and I didn't even see it was The Exorcist.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna tell you why. My dad and my mom.
Speaker 5: Went to the movies to see The Exorcist, and I was so excited when they got back because I was like, I'm gonna go see this movie and they were like, no, you're not, so what I have to see this movie that Like, Nope, absolutely not. And then I watched my dad for weeks be terrified in our own house.
Speaker 1: Now, for me, my dad is just like he's my dad.
Speaker 5: He's the strongest guy I know, but he's terrified wow, because of the Exorcist, And I was like, oh hell, what happened to that movie?
Speaker 1: Oh? At that point, I was like no, no, no, no no no. If you could scare him like that, no no no no no no no no no no no no. I'm okay.
Speaker 5: I thought I wanted to see it I don't want to see it, and I don't think I saw The Exorcist until I was in my twenties, and you know, by then technology changed.
Speaker 1: I was like that, like, that's what fuck?
Speaker 4: My dad are you and only childhood? Do you have siblings?
Speaker 1: Did you? I'm the oldest?
Speaker 7: Well they're actually my dad has five sons, and so I'm the oldest of the.
Speaker 1: Five old boys?
Speaker 2: Oh boys? Yeah, yeah, that's interesting. That's interesting. And you went from old boys to doing Osbich's Old Boys?
Speaker 1: You old boys? Yeah? Yeah, I live with girls. Yeah, very binary. Right, I'm glad.
Speaker 5: I'm glad you let me know that I'm dead, So now I know how to answer these questions.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, that's all right. I should have told you about it. It's mindful.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well what about crying? What's the film that made you cry? Thedvice?
Speaker 4: Do you cry?
Speaker 1: You're crying? I do cry. I cry way more now than I than I used to.
Speaker 5: One of my favorite films and it made me cry is COOLi High?
Speaker 1: You ever see Coolie High?
Speaker 4: What's COOLIEI?
Speaker 5: Glenn? About these these kids in the inner city. Glenn Turman is a young guy who wants to be a writer at the end of the day, and they're just like in high school.
Speaker 1: It's their last year of high school and.
Speaker 5: They're just doing things that kids could do. There's a character, Glen Turman plays a character called Preach, and he's like smart and funny but not cool. And his best friend is co Cheese played by Lawrence I forgot Lauren's his last name. But he's like a basketball player and he's just the coolest guy in the whole school.
Speaker 1: And they go somewhere doing the thing. They go on this joy ride.
Speaker 5: With some friends that they meet, and it turns out that there's two guys that are joy riding with them stole the car and they have to get out of the car and Ron and the police catch them, and they don't say anything to the police about you know, who they were with or anything. But the two guys get caught and they think, oh, they snitched on us, and so they kill co Cheese.
Speaker 1: They beat him to death. It's a horrific scene.
Speaker 5: And then Glenn Turman is under an l trained crying wake up Good. And I remember that moment like that's the first moment I cried, And I was sitting next to my cousin.
Speaker 1: His name is dollar Bill, That's what they call him in the streets. And dollar Bill was crying. I was crying.
Speaker 4: I was like it was.
Speaker 5: It was also a film that changed my perspective about like I was wast Glenn Turnman.
Speaker 1: I was like, I could be an actor. I could. He looks like me.
Speaker 5: He looks like me, Like I could like like an older version of me. I could do this. And that was I got to work with him years later and uh and and tell him that I had that moment. But that's the first film that made me cry. It's cooly high.
Speaker 2: Did you and dollar Bill talk about it when he came out? Or did you pretend nothing had ever happened?
Speaker 1: Absolutely pretended nothing ever happened. Yo. Man, that was good, right, That was a That was a good movie. Yo. When that motherfucker killed Coaches, I was mad. I was laughing. I was laughing. It was funny. To this day, we haven't spoken about it.
Speaker 4: He's gonna be furious.
Speaker 1: I dare you tell that guy that was.
Speaker 4: I was nothing.
Speaker 1: I was as I was crying.
Speaker 2: What what? What is the film that you love? That is critically not acclaimed, Most people don't like it, but you're like, you're all idiots.
Speaker 4: This film is the best.
Speaker 5: You have some really cool questions here, my friends, really really cool question.
Speaker 1: I wish i'd been prepared for this.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's occurring to me you won't send the homework. But that's okay because I have to say, you're handing in it beautifully. What a great yes, And back to you, you're just ready. We're between that and you're figuring it out.
Speaker 5: The film that I highlighted not critically acclaimed, but I think a lot of people don't even people I grew up with didn't didn't know that.
Speaker 1: I used to love them sitting around watching those those those great old musicals.
Speaker 5: And there is a musical called Seven Brides for seven Brothers, Brothers r Selina, I think that's what it is. And Russ Tamblin is in that movie. But you know I love Russ Hamblin from West Side Story, Well I love it originally. I also also love his Doughna Amber, she's great, but just Tamblin is ripped and seven Brides or seven Brothers, I think it was pretty critical acclaimed, but I couldn't believe that was the same guy and I and I would imagine that a lot of people that that I grew up with, I wouldn't believe that, Like every time that thing was on, I would be sitting around watching it doing like the dancers that they did in.
Speaker 1: The Boots, Ross Hamblin, doing all the acrobatic stuff. And so my question is, did do Bill that you were watching it? Absolutely not. Again, you don't talk about crying or musicals. Yeah, what's that?
Speaker 4: What's that music coming from the living Nothing?
Speaker 1: It's the radios on the run.
Speaker 4: What about what about a film that you used to love?
Speaker 2: You used to love it, and then you've watched it recently and you've got no, I don't like this anymore.
Speaker 4: Maybe because you changed.
Speaker 5: Oh man, I was recently watching It's really funny.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 8: I was watching Sorry Eddie. I was watching Coming to America. Yeah, and I thought I was going to show it to my kids. I thought they were gonna love it. And then I watched it. I was like, oh wait, this is terrible.
Speaker 5: The second one, I know, it's like their accents are all over the place, and like it's it's I mean, Eddie is funny, and he's really funny.
Speaker 1: Our halls. It's funny.
Speaker 5: But like the script is terrible, and there's a bunch of great actors and that I love it.
Speaker 1: It's terrible, it's it's just bad man. Another one I was like, oh wow, so don't kill me, you guys.
Speaker 5: But yeah, it was like just recently recently that answers made me stressed.
Speaker 1: I'm going to have to cut this out.
Speaker 4: It was lovely me.
Speaker 1: What's the what's okay?
Speaker 4: Because he's dead.
Speaker 1: He's dead, they said at the beginning, don't worry, he's already dead. I killed him.
Speaker 2: What's what's the film that means the most to you? Not necessarily the film itself is good, but the experience you had around seeing the film will always make it, especially when for you, like it could be the first day could have been whatever.
Speaker 1: Well again, I'm going to go back to Coolie High.
Speaker 5: It's the first time like I considered actually being an actor, and I felt like I could see not only myself, my neighborhood, culturally, like all these things that like I just took for granted that I saw up on a film and realized that, you know, you could share that with the world. That was amazing because before Coolly High, my favorite film was West Side Story and I just the Sharks and the Jets, and I just loved it. Like I said, Russ Tamblin, and I love a West Side Story.
Speaker 1: I would just watch it every every time it came on.
Speaker 5: So those two films are two my favorite films ever. If they come on, I just stopped watch. I just I can't help it.
Speaker 2: West Side Story? Were you like, was that like your secret favorite film.
Speaker 1: Of all time? For a long time? But actually not even so much of a secret most of my life.
Speaker 5: If you would have asked me like, what's your favorite film on the West Side Story and people go, really, yep, it's funny. So then working with Rita Moreno for it was a total mind bend. But yeah, yeah, yeah, do you like the new one? Have you seen the new one? I do like the new one. Spielberg's a genius. I think Spielberg can do anything like he you know, it's so good. It's so good. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I love it.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 5: It's not the I mean, I love the original, that's that's in my heart. But Spielberger is he's just he's just he really is a mastercraft and the like if you watch that film, yeah, he's just a.
Speaker 2: Master It's funny how I think everyone with that West that story went into it like, oh God, here we go, this is gonna be bad, and then you watch it you go, oh, yeah, Spielbag's a fucking amazing filmmaker.
Speaker 4: Why did we have it doubt wrong?
Speaker 2: Are we thinking? Yeah, it's Spielbag, He's very good? What about Well? I worry this is maybe the same answer. But the next question is what's the film you most relate to? And it's do you have any others?
Speaker 1: It's interesting.
Speaker 5: I love film a lot, and when I had more time to see film, you can ask me about any film and I would have.
Speaker 1: Like a whole analysis of it.
Speaker 5: And just you know, like I said, the last twenty or so years, because of the kids, I don't I don't have analysis. I'm watching my kids, and so my analysis of films is just less. And so like as I'm as I'm searching through my memory, there there are lots of films like, God, I wish I would have been in that film, but I don't have the chops.
Speaker 9: What's the film? What's Lenny? What's your name? Yeah, they're talking about the dog. The dog has got the squeaking toy. This much what is that? I think it's a it's it Brad Pitt. And are they all in that movie lock Stock Sat Sat.
Speaker 5: I remember, God, I wish I could have done that film because they're so fucking great and it's so macho and like just filled with the.
Speaker 1: Stosterone and you know, I don't know that kind of stuff.
Speaker 4: That's interesting, dog don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, the next the next two questions are going to be you you haven't been prepared to. Just please understand that these are always the questions. The next question is what is the sexiest film you've ever seen?
Speaker 5: Back in the day, I would have said that film with Mickey Rourke and Kim Basinger nine and a half weeks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would have.
Speaker 5: Said that, Yeah, because I think Kim Basinger may be the sexiest woman of the film I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: I think it's a really sexy film. That's a long time ago, I know, And in order.
Speaker 5: To not be you know, crazy horn dog around my kids, I don't see that many sexy films lately.
Speaker 1: You know, there's a lot of cartoons animated.
Speaker 2: Which, which which brings me to my which brings me to the sub category question, which is troubling bone.
Speaker 1: It is worrying.
Speaker 2: Why done a film you found a rousing that you weren't sure you should? Might have been one of these animated ones.
Speaker 5: If I was like, you know, Encanter just gets me going, I'd be like that big sister. She's so I don't know. It's nothing about her being in prison.
Speaker 1: What a voice? I felt him that I found the rousing, but I didn't expect it to be. And and certainly there been a bunch of them bese more.
Speaker 2: Do you ever see beseem? Oh my god, that's your answer. That's a heck of an answer. That is a heck of an answer, because there was something about it. It's like, could I have been on that set?
Speaker 1: Could I? Could I have done that job like that more?
Speaker 5: I remember seeing that oh ship, Yeah, I remember saying that, and I didn't think I was. I thought it was going to be exploited and I was like whatever, But I was more roused than I expected to be.
Speaker 2: Well, you've you very much answered the question, and thank you.
Speaker 4: The next.
Speaker 1: End of interview, I got it. I'll be right back. We're gonna take something really quick.
Speaker 2: What film objectively is the greatest film of all time? Now, it might not be your favorite. This is more if Aliens came and they said, show me the pinnacle of cinema, what is it?
Speaker 1: Everybody's gonna hate me? Really are? I like the Adventures? Endgame?
Speaker 4: I'm not gonna hate you for that.
Speaker 1: I mean people like, I mean we do all these superhero movies. That's sucking great.
Speaker 4: That's a very impressive film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's impressive.
Speaker 5: All those actors, all that cgi they go to come back and I'm iron Man, snap, like, come on, come on movie.
Speaker 1: It gets gets all the moments.
Speaker 5: It's it's superheroes and you get all the moments when Peter Parker shows up again, let's a dark let's dark.
Speaker 1: I might I might have to go with Endgame.
Speaker 2: If that is your truth, you must speak it.
Speaker 4: It's a great film. It's really impressive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, an endgame. When does Peter Parker come back? Endgame?
Speaker 4: Endgame is the is the end?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: Is where they will come through the portos?
Speaker 1: Yes? And they all come through the portals right, that's exactly right? Right, endgame? Greatest movie ever?
Speaker 2: Lovely answer, What is the film you could or have watched the most over and over again?
Speaker 4: And is it West Side Story?
Speaker 1: You think so? Right?
Speaker 5: And back in the day when we didn't have streaming, that would probably be true, but now you can stream things.
Speaker 1: I just watched Spielberg.
Speaker 5: There is you know what I could watch but I haven't watched over and over again, but I could watch.
Speaker 1: It going that movie Pig. Do you see this movie with fucking great? Isn't Pig great? A great fucking film?
Speaker 4: What a great film. I watched it.
Speaker 5: I watched it quite a few times, like I go like, let me see that again, and what's Nick Cage doing?
Speaker 1: And what's he doing?
Speaker 5: And then and then the young kid who plays like who's the son of the antagonist?
Speaker 1: Kid?
Speaker 5: I don't know his name. Just fucking marvelous, just marvelous work.
Speaker 2: It's such a unique film. There's nothing really like Pig. And then and when you see the trailer, the premise of it is John is John Wick is John Wick with a pig like you took and you think it's going to be like a shoot him up, And it's this fucking profound, rising film about grief. It's syncredible. It's such a weird, wonderful film. It really really is.
Speaker 5: And they really use like Nick Cage in that way because you're constantly expecting the underground thing with this is where it's gonna happen. Okay, he just got slapped around. It's so pig and I watched a bunch of times. I can keep watching it.
Speaker 1: I like it a lot.
Speaker 2: And the scene with the chef when he when he goes to that restaurant that's sort of mainstream restaurant with the artist chef and he gets speech. I'm like, there is also a film about film and h critics and right, right, good?
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 2: I love it all right, let's not be too negative there. But is the worst film you ever saw?
Speaker 1: Oh? This is?
Speaker 5: That's a That's a hard one because sometimes you just turn them off. You stop while you get up and leaves. Back in the day, you're just like, man, I'm getting out of here.
Speaker 6: What a.
Speaker 5: Hell am I doing? And there have been a couple, you know what I think is here's the thing. I thought the performance was really great by the lead actor, Adam Driver. But I fucking hated the movie. It's the movie where he has the it's him and Marianne.
Speaker 2: Oh you and yes, and I hate that movie.
Speaker 1: But he's but I kept watching because he's so good.
Speaker 5: He's so like he's really I mean, he's working, he's working so hard, but the movie is like they just didn't do him any favors.
Speaker 1: It wasn't fair. I feel like, for how hard he was working.
Speaker 4: Everyone's working.
Speaker 2: Everyone is fully committed in that film, even the doll.
Speaker 4: The dog is fully committed, fully committed.
Speaker 5: But I feel like they got let down, and then the film months of being It's just not one of my favorites, but I was fascinated, Like I wanted to turn it off, but I just kept watching. Yeah, I just kept watching Adam Driver and he he really is great.
Speaker 4: He's the real deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, he's really great. But sorry about that film. You deserve better.
Speaker 2: I know, I know so many people who hate that film.
Speaker 4: It's so mad.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Every five minutes you're like, what.
Speaker 1: Right, why? Why would you? Why are we? Okay? All right now, I'll hang it a little. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, what about humor? What's the film that made you laugh the most?
Speaker 5: There may be some recently that made me laugh the way I remember way back in the day.
Speaker 1: I remember watching this movie Liar Liar.
Speaker 5: With Jim Carrey, and I remember just laughing my ass off because I just thought he was so funny and then crying at the end with he's trying to get his kid back, and so it.
Speaker 1: Was really really great. So A Liar Liar.
Speaker 7: Is just one of those films that I thought like, oh wow, this is you know, he was such a big star, and you just felt like, I mean whatever, it's gonna be fine.
Speaker 1: But I remember like out.
Speaker 7: Loud, just like laughing out loud a lot in Liar Liar. I'm trying to think of a more recent film that I found hysterical like that.
Speaker 1: I can't. I can't think of one just yet. But Liar Liars are good.
Speaker 5: But oh you know what I can there's that Steve Martin, Eddie Murphy. I'm gonna be redeemed Eddie Murphy. Steve Martin, Eddie Murphy. That film is great. But Eddie Murphy, Bow Finger.
Speaker 1: Love my Finger, Bold Finger. I remember being in the theater.
Speaker 5: I went to see that movie like five times, just laughing my ass off. This is both of them, like at the height of big Eddie going to get coffee. It's a great It's a great film, both fingers, really awesome.
Speaker 2: Franks directed it great. Love it, yeah, love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good one.
Speaker 2: Right now, listen, Harold Perrino, you have been wonderful, especially wonderful given you didn't know what this was.
Speaker 5: However, however, when you're going to see Patres again, No, no, no.
Speaker 2: When you were in your you're in your house, there was an earthquake before I'll move over here, I'll be safe, and you stood underneath, and the floor above you was Shelley Long and Tom Hanks pouring some water into a bar and fell through the roof straight on top of you, and you was crashing to death. I was walking along with a coffin, you know what I'm And I said, is anyone seen Harold? And they go, yeah, I think he's under the bath, and I'm like, oh God, and I lift up the bath. You're flatned, crushed into the floorboard. I'm having to scrape you out, get bits. There's bits of wood, bits of ceramics. Smashing you up to get an axe, chop you up. Put all the bits of you I can in the coffin. There's more of you than I was expected. It's absolutely packed in there. There's only enough room in this coffin for me to slide one DVD into the side for you to take across to the other side. And on the other side, it's movie night every night. What film are you taking to show the actors in heaven when it is your movie night? In act to heaven?
Speaker 5: That's a good one, me and all my ceramical bits. What movie a taking me to show the actors in heaven?
Speaker 1: I am really unprepared for this day. I gotta be out.
Speaker 4: You've winged it so well.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna have to go back to COOLi High. This is for the brothers who aren't here.
Speaker 5: When he pours the liquor on this on the grave of Coolie High, and they're saying.
Speaker 1: How do you are? Stay goodbye? I'm gonna say I have Coolie High with me right in the pocket. Right in the pocket, I take Coolie High.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just Harold, you been an absolute delight. Before we say goodbye? Is there and you would like to tell people to look out for, to watch for, to listen to coming up in your life, Well.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you this this interview. I want you guys to watch this because this is a This was a feat brother. You actually you had me actually on my feet this whole I you know, I am even more of a fan now you right, you at you. You you just you interview with a kind of grace and smart and like, I'm just I just want people to listen to this except my kids, Yeah, definite. I don't want them to hear about the Master of Anything.
Speaker 1: No, listen, man, I want people to check out.
Speaker 5: I have that new TV show on now called From I think it's really really great. Yeah, yeah, it's it's it's built this power, but I think that it's more like a suspense thriller. It has elements, it feels a little like Lost, it feels a lot like Loss, but we actually have answers for the end. But I'm really really proud of it. It's on MGM plus, and I would love people to check it out. I'm sure by the time that this gets edited, you'll have both seasons.
Speaker 1: We have two seasons, one and two.
Speaker 5: They'll be on MGM plus, probably on Amazon or something like that, and so I would love people to check that up because I think it's I think it's really special.
Speaker 1: I think we have a really special cast, and I think it's very cool. It's really good writing and stuff for it, especially in a har genre. You might think what the hell, but I actually think it's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, excellent. All right everyone check that out. And Harold, you've been excellent. I hope you have a wonderful death. Good day to you, Bret. That was a fucking awesome.
Speaker 5: And I know, and I I was going to go to this, I would, I would curse my screen some more. Hey, you soccer fucker. No, this is this is so fun and so smart and you're a beast, my friend, a beast, just a killer.
Speaker 2: So that was episode two hundred and sixty four. Head over to the Patreon of patreon dot com forwards last Brett Goodsting for the extrass secret chat and video with Harold.
Speaker 4: Go to Apple Podcast.
Speaker 2: Give us a vive style rating, but don't talk about the show, right about the film that means the most to you and why it's a lovely thing to read. My neighbor more and loves it always makes a christ Thank you very much. I hope you're all well. Thank you so much to Harold for being so brilliant and for not doing his homework. But I mean, tell you, what, what are you amazing hadn't done his homework? All the answer is fantastic. Thank you to Screwby's Pip and a distraction piece of network. Thanks to Buddy Peace for producing it, Thanks to iHeartMedia and Will Pharaoh's Big Money Players Network hosting it. Thanks Adam Richardson for the graphics, at Least Landing for the photography, and to you all for listening to it. Come join me next week for another lovely guest. In the meantime, that's it for now. I hope you're all well, have a lovely week, and please, now more than ever, be excellent to each other.