Speaker 1: I think we've got an attitude problem. It's one more thing.
Speaker 2: I'm strong and getty. One more thing. Shut up. I hate you, I hate everything.
Speaker 1: So Reddit has been around for a while. I don't know when it started, but it certainly was around in twenty ten. And this is a big a research piece they did on Reddit responses to a particular question, people that are in unhappy marriages.
Speaker 2: There's lots and lots of Reddit threads around this sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: Anyway, they filtered out relationship advice from one point two million comments over the years since twenty ten to twenty twenty five, So over fifteen years, one point two million comments. When you describe being in a bad relationship, you know, my marriage isn't going why? What? Well? Whatever?
Speaker 2: The reason is back in the day.
Speaker 1: And by back in the day, I mean twenty ten, I don't mean like nineteen thirty, in nineteen eighty.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Wow, it's not the amount of change, it's the pace that's making people insane.
Speaker 1: Yeah it is. Yeah, I want to make sure I get the number completely right.
Speaker 3: God, the fact that twenty ten was fifteen years ago.
Speaker 2: Welcome to aging well and worth well. Yeah that too. But the idea that in a lot of these things. It's worth drawing a comparison between now and twenty ten.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, why would it be that didn't exist. Yeah, if you compared you know, obviously eighteen seventy to eighteen sixty in terms of marriage trends, there will be a lot of difference.
Speaker 2: Well, if you compare them in terms of number of civil wars going on there, it'd be a difference.
Speaker 1: But no, yeah, and so as recently as twenty ten, so it's only fifteen years ago. Overall, the advice of end the relationship was about a third, less than a third. Thirty percent of the respondents would say end the relationship. When you got on there with you, my marriage is not happy.
Speaker 2: Here's what's going on.
Speaker 1: It's now over fifty percent. It's gone up twenty percent just since twenty ten. Of people would say just end your marriage.
Speaker 2: Then, well that's got to be because fewer and fewer people are in relationships, so they have no idea. What they're talking about is that is that what's the explanation is according to what you're looking at or well, all.
Speaker 1: The other numbers decline a lot, So, uh, give space and time to your spouse who you're having a problem with has gone from twenty five percent of respondents down to barely double digits. Say you should give your spouse some time in space to try to fix this. It all went down. Communicate about this went from a quarter down to uh, barely double digits, just you know, the simple idea of talk to them about it.
Speaker 2: That's crazy, it is, I mean, that's stupid, it's toxic, it's inexcusable. It's an indictment of everything that will follow.
Speaker 1: Yes, so communicate and give space dropped a lot. Set boundaries went up some, which is also a bit of a negative. I mean it, it can be positive, but it's got a little bit of a negative flare to it. More than talk to them or give them some space, set some strong boundaries with me, you're no longer allowed to do this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, take a relationship.
Speaker 3: That's another way of cutting you know, cutting it off kind of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's altimate to me. Sometimes it's necessary.
Speaker 1: But yeah, h compromise went down about by about half.
Speaker 2: Oh, of course it did. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The only one that went up much, and it went up a lot, from thirty percent to over fifty percent, is end the relationship divorce that is crazy.
Speaker 2: And then that's something. What does that mean about society? I mean, if people aren't willing to work it out anymore, clearly effort, Michael, I enjoyed judging as much as anybody. I ought to be on the Supreme Court. I'm so judgment. But if you not only haven't had serious relationships and you just live an online life, and you're like kind of the second generation of that fewer and fewer relations so you haven't seen role models of good relationships in front of you, how the f would you have any idea what advice to give? And so what you're seeing here is a bunch of cynical I live my life online types saying very onliney things.
Speaker 1: I would love to know. I don't know how much marriage. The number of people getting married is chained in fifteen years. I know it's declining, but I don't know. But I think it's pretty solid that the number of people getting into relationships at all has declined quite a bit. So if you've never been in a relationship and you secretly want to be in one, I don't care what you say about how happy you are alone, you want to be in a relationship.
Speaker 2: You just do that's the way you're built.
Speaker 1: But so you of course you're happier that other people aren't in relationships. It whether you're whether you acknowledge it, or it's all subconscious you hate somebody else being in a happy relationship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it sounds yeah. These And this also sounds like it might be coming from people who had one bad relationship and have just said f them all kind of.
Speaker 2: I was just going to bring up the person who's had a couple of relationships and have given up or they say, you know, there's no woman worth you know. I won't put a sacrifices blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: I won't put too fine a point on this to keep myself out of trouble. But if your spouse starts hanging around with divorced people it is who who are single, it's much worse for you than if your spouse hangs around with people who are making it work, going through the grind of being married and raising kids and doing the whole thing, as opposed to hanging around with somebody who's divorced and talking.
Speaker 2: About all the fun they could happen. Why do you put up with that?
Speaker 1: And blah blah blah, Because they love to cut this divorce is a contagent. I've seen it over and over again at various workplaces and stuff like that. Friend groups. It is absolutely a contagion. And somebody else gives the permission structure and then starts, you know, with the caretive. Look how great this and fun this life is out here compared to your drudgery. But if you hang around with other people who are, like I said, doing the deal, it's less likely to happen. And so you got all these people on here reading these things. They're they're in the no no, no, no, you should join us in our happiness using my finger goes, because they're not that happy out here in single world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, misery loves company.
Speaker 2: Yep, exactly. You know that's two hundred percent as a friend. As a student rather of language, I have like shelves of books of quotations. Is there one? I mean, because misery loves company, Drunks want everybody to drink more, stoners want everybody to take another hit or smoke if they don't smoke pot, you know, is maybe birds of a feather flock together. I'm trying to think, is there a great quotation that communicates what we're talking about. Everybody feels better if more people are doing what they're doing, they feel justified in themselves.
Speaker 1: If you get divorced too, Yeah, I know because I've seen it one hundred percent. Like I've had friends who I've watched this appen not only with my own life, but they enjoy when their friend gets divorced too. Somehow, it I don't know, makes them feel better.
Speaker 2: I don't know why. And you have kind of a kinship going, I guess.
Speaker 3: And on the flip side, I've actually been in this situation where I've had a friend get irritated with me when I got married and my life started getting better.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, I've seen that also, yep. Absolutely, Oh is that persons still a friend? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Wow, absolutely. When you're younger, I remember, like you know, you got the friend group. All us dudes were hanging out or watching a football game on Saturday, drinking beer, and then somebody gets a steady girlfriend and they're not part of that anymore. You secretly want the steady girlfriend like they have, right, but you're kind of angry that they do, and you'd love it if they broke up and they come back to hang out with you. Drinking beer, watching football, wasting your wife on a Sunday afternoon.
Speaker 2: That's just the way we're built, I guess.
Speaker 1: But the fact that it's moved that much in fifteen years is the thing.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's right. I'd kind of spaced off that it was fifteen years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so now, oh my, it's just since twenty ten that's gone from thirty percent to over fifty percent of divorce them.
Speaker 3: That's so crazy.
Speaker 2: So dump them is now almost five to one over communicate or give them space. That's that's okay, that's just you're you're in a cesspool. You're asking just stupid, ignorant, evil people for advice.
Speaker 1: Well that's kind of what redd it is. It should be their sub edit, right, asking stupid people for their advice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, stupid evil people, trolls giving advice.
Speaker 2: We are in a spot turned to ignorant trolls. Misery loves company. Maybe it's as simple as that could be, or but it's it's more than misery though. It's it's every drunk wants everybody else to have one more drink to because it gives you cover. I don't have a problem. Everybody's doing it. Humans don't I don't like it.
Speaker 1: And on that trajectory, where's that gonna be in five, ten more years?
Speaker 3: Oh boy, that's a scary thought.
Speaker 1: Is there any reason I think that's gonna level off or start stop going at that rate?
Speaker 2: Miserable, childless isolation. That's fine, it's a pretty steep chart.
Speaker 3: All be dating robots, Yep, don't date robots.
Speaker 2: We'll all be dating robots. That's what's saying, Daton, No, damn robot. What they look like. There's one more woman on earth. I'm gonna find her. Oh my god, they're looking real. Now what can I jags do in sex bots? Jack's doing sex bots? How can I dress them to mock you like it's a schoolard?
Speaker 3: However you want, Jack, that's the beauty of dating robots.
Speaker 1: It's it's I actually feel the opposite of it. I feel like, as a single man out in the world, there's more opportunities for me as some as you weirdos go that direction and uh and isolate more as a single man.
Speaker 2: That I had a sex bot, I'd have it look just like my wife.
Speaker 1: Oh that that should be on a car, That should actually be you gotta write that, du Yeah, send that to Hallmark.
Speaker 2: It's complete bullet, but it's you know, it's a nice sentiment. Wow, I've already got one of those. Maybe I want a tall redhead that doesn't make me a monster, does it? No, I'm gonna ask credit. Well, I guess that's it.