Speaker 1: Hi there, Hey, how are you after our little mini vacation? Did you do anything fun on the forest?
Speaker 2: We ended up going up to Big Bear, which was so nice but so hot. It was in the nineties, which is just not normal for a Big Bear and to the point where literally no one has air conditioners, so that was a little rough. At least our bedrooms are downstairs, so that made it not too bad. But it was a heat wave. But yeah, that's warm, so fun, so so fun.
Speaker 3: Did you swim in the lake?
Speaker 4: No, we don't have a boat.
Speaker 2: I am trying to work on that.
Speaker 3: As I say, no air conditioning, no boat, So far you've sold me. What else you got?
Speaker 1: Hi?
Speaker 2: So right, Well, a friend of mine parents live up there, and I'm really close with them, and they invited us over on Friday to do some pool time and that was really fun.
Speaker 4: The kids loved it.
Speaker 2: Ledger's really not been in the water that much, so we didn't do it anything really with him a lot last year because he was still so little.
Speaker 4: And he's a little fish. He loves the water, so I'm so excited.
Speaker 3: That's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was really fun. Big Beer's just like a happy place. It's just so nice. Everyone's nice. It's slow, so it is actually nice to get out of the craziness and get to him. So vibe.
Speaker 3: Well, that's good.
Speaker 4: How about you? How was the barbecue?
Speaker 3: It was fun. I smoked ribs.
Speaker 1: Took me like hours and hours, but I did six racks of ribs that were just some of the best I've ever done.
Speaker 3: They were great.
Speaker 4: Do you tragger?
Speaker 3: I do tragger? Okay, I do trag.
Speaker 1: I triggered this time, and I've got my rubs down. I've got my wrapping down, so I know exactly how I'm I'm setting it up. Okay, I got my my butter to brown sugar and h ratio is really great for the second rap. Wow, So it's uh, yeah, I'm pretty I was pretty happy with these.
Speaker 3: I really was.
Speaker 2: You're a pretty big deal when it comes to the smoking of the ribs.
Speaker 1: I don't like to talk about it, but I'm a pretty big deal when it comes to my trigger.
Speaker 3: I really am a.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 3: You know what else was a pretty big deal was the movie that we just watched.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't even need to ask you. You have not watched Lemonade Mouth before.
Speaker 1: There's just no way, no, to the point where Sue and I on the before I had to watch it that night on our walk with our dog, were trying to guess what it was about, okay, because we had no idea. I mean when I mean no idea. It was like, is it about lemonade stands?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: You really really had no idea, no concept. I knew it was about a band. I did know that.
Speaker 3: I didn't know any of that.
Speaker 1: Nope, okay, never heard of it. Thirteenth year. It's like you can, I guess. I would never have guessed Merman, that wouldn't have happened. It wouldn't have been on my list when I your Lemonade Mouth band probably wouldn't have been on my list either.
Speaker 2: If you kind of take yourself back to that era smash Mouth, like, I can see where Yeah.
Speaker 4: That's why that's one and done, I guess.
Speaker 2: But I could kind of see where Disney was trying to find like a cool, you know, updated name for a band.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: I never liked it. I never from the top to bottom with that band name.
Speaker 2: Never liked it. I feel bad because I really wanted to love it. The fans have been asking for this movie for us to do so I went in guns blazon ready to love.
Speaker 3: You didn't like that, you didn't like the movie, or you didn't like.
Speaker 2: That I didn't like them. I wanted to love everything about it. I wanted Lemonade Mouth to make sense to me. We threw in a lemonade vending machine. I still never bought it. Like you know, it just was not like I just needed a better name.
Speaker 4: I did.
Speaker 2: There could have been just a little bit better of a name, because again, the ant love this movie. One of my best friends when I told her about doing this show, she's like, you gotta do Lemonade Mouth. I said, I've never heard of that.
Speaker 1: Our producers before you hopped on today we're talking about how they're like, this is one of my favorite movies of all time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 3: This is this is the pinnacle is Lemonade Mouth.
Speaker 2: I like was forcing myself, you have got to love this movie because you are going to piss off a bunch of people if you don't.
Speaker 4: It wasn't hard to love.
Speaker 5: By the way, I do want to throw out there that will is exaggerating that anyone said it was their favorite movie of all time.
Speaker 3: But well, everyone likes it.
Speaker 1: I just got from one of our producers. I just got in all caps. I love it so much.
Speaker 4: Yes, right, he.
Speaker 5: Liked it a lot. I mean, I'll show my cards early. I liked it a lot. I just I'm not sure anyone puts this above Citizen.
Speaker 1: Kane him the oh but god, this was way more entertaining than Citizen Kane, even trying to get to lead.
Speaker 3: Citizen Kane was a beautiful movie that's very overrated.
Speaker 4: This is it Color of Friendship. We're not going deep with this movie.
Speaker 2: It is it is what it is, all right. Not Lisa high on the d com faves sheet for sure, genuine fan.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, this is so, this is the one.
Speaker 1: Apparently we've hit the one that people are starting to We're starting to lose French.
Speaker 2: They would not back down from high school musical. Let's not get crazy. They're not going to back down from high school musicals. Putting out above it. But it is a favea and the fans love it, so.
Speaker 1: Let's get into it, into it, let's get into it. So, first of all, welcome back to Magical rewind. It's the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pj's, and your popcorn and go back to the time when all the houses were smart, the waves Tsunamis and the Lemonades mouths.
Speaker 3: I'm Wilfredell.
Speaker 4: I'm like, every time you.
Speaker 2: Do the intro, I feel like I need some kind of movement to do.
Speaker 4: Why you do it?
Speaker 2: I don't know why the houses are smart, the waves are tsunamis, and what's the last one?
Speaker 4: And the high school musical?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I gotta get some kind of thing.
Speaker 3: I don't know why you went with I dream of Genie for the dance, but we'll.
Speaker 5: Figure it out.
Speaker 4: This is this is dancing.
Speaker 1: Right, Oh, I don't know you're asking me. You are the one who's the dancer. I don't know any of this.
Speaker 4: You made that move up?
Speaker 2: My bad? Right?
Speaker 3: We did anyway? Oh, you have to say your name. You haven't even said your name yet, and.
Speaker 4: I'm Sabrina Bryant.
Speaker 3: Guys, welcome, there you go.
Speaker 1: Now, we hope you've been practicing for rising Stars, because this week we're taking the stage and recapping twenty eleven's Music Center dcom Lemonade Mouth another movie where as we've said, the title gives you very little, very very little about thee Yeah, very I would go so far as to say not a thing doesn't tell you anything about the movie. Absolutely, this was shot in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Speaker 3: A L b u q u e r que. Thank you very much.
Speaker 5: Week.
Speaker 2: That's a first. That's a first. Yeah, we gotta we gotta give that some praise.
Speaker 1: We got something in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The coin flip this week was neither Utah, nor Vancouver.
Speaker 2: Or Toronto or I can tell you why why Deborah Martin Chase. She's the producer of Cheetah Girls. That woman loves to travel, so she will find an amazing venue area location to go. If she's gonna have to be somewhere for like a month and a half, she's gonna find something cool.
Speaker 4: So Albuquerque's got a lot to sell.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 1: Lemonade Mouth is based on the two thousand and seven book of the same unique name by Mark Peter Hughes. The movie premiered on April fifteen, twenty eleven, to a very impressive audience of five point seven million viewers. It was the third highest of that year, and it won the Pop Star magazine Poptastic Award.
Speaker 3: For Favorite TV Movie.
Speaker 1: Something that has been confirmed to be a real thing and was nominated for a Director's Guild Award and a Golden Reel for editing. It is currently viewable on Disney Plus, so feel free to pause us and go watch or pause them and listen to us. It's a real riddle for you and only you, and you've got to solve it yourself. But even with the success of this movie and it's eighty percent critique and seventy nine percent audience score on Rotten Tomatoes, it's the soundtrack that rushed to the head of the pack, consisting mostly of songs performed by the movies titullar, I don't like that word.
Speaker 4: I don't like musical group.
Speaker 1: Released by Disney Records, it peaked at number four on the Billboard Top two hundred and sold over four hundred thousand copies. Also, the songs Breakthrough, Determinate, and Somebody All appeared on the Billboard Hot one hundred.
Speaker 3: Sabrina, what do you know about this movie going in?
Speaker 2: I think we addressed this at the time I dressed it already. I knew of it because again in the comments on our Instagram when I talked to people telling them when I was first doing this podcast, this was one of the first, it was right up there with high School musical You gotta do Lemonade Mouth? You got you obviously, Johnny Tsunami, duh. But Lemonade Mouth was as much of that obvious. So and I didn't ask a lot because I like to see them for myself the first time, go ask what's it about? And they said it's about a band. I said, I'm always about that. Love it, so I was ready. I was ready to really enjoy.
Speaker 3: You knew more than we.
Speaker 1: Let's take a look at the movie. Synopsis brought to you by Turbo Blast The Drink of Champions Synopsis. High School Detention brings together five students who I'm an unlikely band despite personal struggles and injustices to inspire their peers and find their own voices.
Speaker 3: What'd you think of it?
Speaker 2: Early thoughts go, So the beginning started slow for me. I loved the cast. I felt like it looks so all American. We were representing so many different cultures and backgrounds and family dynamics.
Speaker 4: So I was into that. I love that.
Speaker 2: What I love when I feel like a cast is really you know a lot of people are being represented within a cast. That hit me really right from the start. Knew I loved that. I will say, and this is one of my Sabrina sites. I'm gonna do it early. She says, so let's start from the beginning. They go to the detention room, and then she goes, well, I think we should start from the beginning, and they go back.
Speaker 1: They go back even further, and then they're like, I think we should start from the beginning.
Speaker 3: And it's the Earth being formed.
Speaker 2: Holy going, what's happening. It took a little bit of time to gain it. It's momentum. Okay, but it wasn't horrible. I love the cast, I really did. I okay, I will get into it because it's they're great.
Speaker 4: They're all great.
Speaker 3: I have a couple of pretty hot takes on this movie.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: The first is this to me so far, it's the best music I've heard in any Disney movie. That hurts well, I know, I know it, and I know it would, and I knew it would, but it's true.
Speaker 4: I agree, it's.
Speaker 3: They're the best songs so far. I remember them.
Speaker 2: I'll get into it more of it later because it takes a while for us to get a good performance.
Speaker 4: I would say the first one's a little.
Speaker 3: Well, that's one thing I have a huge problem with.
Speaker 1: I do not like movies where they pick up the instruments they've never met before, and all of a sudden, not only are they singing, but they're backing each other up because they all know the vocals.
Speaker 3: What the hell?
Speaker 4: I okay?
Speaker 2: You know, I giggle at you every time you say when they break out into song and dance. I don't understand how you don't get that. That's what it is when it's a musical. This wasn't really done. It kind of went in and out of musical world. I'm not a fan of doing that. Pick one or the other, okay, but I do lose it when you start hitting the table getting some rhythm with random objects.
Speaker 4: That's when you lose me.
Speaker 2: I don't mind jumping into song, but when you start making your.
Speaker 4: Own beans, I just need it.
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 4: I can never jump on board with that.
Speaker 1: So here's my other hot take. There's a better version of this exact same movie from two years earlier called Bandslam okay with Vanessa Hudgens.
Speaker 2: With Vanessa Hudgeons, and you've watched.
Speaker 1: It, I have, I have, and it is a better version of this exact same movie. A ragtag group of kids, uh huh form a band, but the entire movie is about the band coming together and rehearsing and all of the things that are going on with their personal lives and everything we learn about as they're rehearsing and becoming a better band to go up against the big band from their high school. It's the ex boyfriend. It's literally the same movie called Band Slam. It's two years earlier, and it's a better version.
Speaker 4: Was it a Disney movie?
Speaker 3: No, it's Vanessa Hudgens. It's careful.
Speaker 2: Will don't say it's a better one, just it is.
Speaker 1: No, I'm sorry. And I liked this movie. I liked Lemonade Mouth. Do not get me wrong. I'm gonna rate this movie high.
Speaker 3: I love music. The cast was very, very good. But this same movie, there's a better version of called Band Slam.
Speaker 2: And if you got Baby V in it, I'm sorry, but it's gonna Baby V's gonna run the show.
Speaker 4: It's gonna run.
Speaker 3: It's gonna run a storyline one of the twins. It's Ali.
Speaker 4: It's Ali oh out from Ali and Aj.
Speaker 3: Yes, so it's Ali from Ali and Aj.
Speaker 1: It's Vanessa Hudgens, who plays this really weird, offbeat character. It's more about the history of the music. They go to cbe GB. There's like they're learning about punk stuff. It's a better version of this movie. I'm sorry, it just is well.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry to tell you, but we have to do this one, I know.
Speaker 1: But for everybody out there who loves lemonade Mouth, go watch bands.
Speaker 4: I definitely will.
Speaker 2: If you're gonna sell a movie like that to me, and if Baby V's in it, I'm going yes.
Speaker 3: And she plays this quirky she.
Speaker 1: Her name is Sam spelled SA five M and then five is silent.
Speaker 4: You might have just lost me. I cannot do silent letters and numbers.
Speaker 3: But she's doing it as she's doing it because it's ironic. It's very funny. Please just go on. He's not bad.
Speaker 1: But anyway, this movie getting into our cast here stars Bridget Mendler as Olivia, a pop star actress hybrid in her own right. Best known as Teddy Duncan in the show Good Luck Charlie. She appeared in ten episodes of Wizards of Waverley Place and the short lived Bill Lawrence sitcom Undateable.
Speaker 3: She has since unofficially.
Speaker 1: Retired from acting after graduating from some little college I don't know. Becky's called Harvard and has her law degree and launching a satellite startup called Northwood Space that she describes as a data highway between Earth and space. They've already raised over six million dollars in funding. Mendler is the CEO and also has a four year old daughter. So apparently she can do everything.
Speaker 2: I mean, get it, bridget Wow, Yeah, seriously huge.
Speaker 1: I had to do this podcast and eat before and I sat for fifteen minutes having no idea what I was gonna do. So the idea that she's doing all this stuff's like, wait, I have to do a meal and this I can't. Adam Hicks plays the quirky keyboard playing rapper when he's most recognizable as Luther from the show Zeke and Luthor, but also from his appearances on Jonas. He also later played King Boz on Pair of Kings and shows up in a very weird JLO.
Speaker 3: Movie, The Boy next Door.
Speaker 1: Haley Kyoko is the rebellious she was Awesome protesting guitar player Stella. She's another musician actress double threat and also seen on Wizards of Waverley Place, CSI Cyber and starring in movies like Insidious Chapter three, XO XO and the live action Gem and the Holograms. Naomi Scott is moheem or Mo and she's been seen in Terra Nova An Anatomy of a Scandal, but was also Alena in the failed Charlie's Angels reboot and Jasmine in the Disney blockbuster Aladdin Live Action movie. She was also and this isn't listened here, but I also believe was in the live action movie reboot.
Speaker 3: Of The Power Rangers. There's another thing that she did.
Speaker 1: She's in a ton of stuff coming out in the next two years, including the highly anticipated upcoming horror sequel Smile Too. This time it's Smilier. That's not actually what it's called, it's just Smile Too, where she appears.
Speaker 3: To play the lead.
Speaker 1: She's become a big upcoming name in Hollywood. And rounding out the band is Blake Michael as drummer Charlie. He was a Disney star as Tyler on Dog with a Blog and also was in a TV movie I'd like to watch immediately called I Killed My Bff. By the way, I think because our producers put a lot of this stuff together. I Killed My bff is also a show you can watch on Netflix. It is different little vignettes of all the people that have killed their BFFs. It's a show you shouldn't watch because it's a dick and it's pretty fun. We also have two very shiny names sharing the Dabney Coleman spot. There's the legendary Tisha Campbell as music teacher Miss Resnick.
Speaker 3: He's awesome.
Speaker 1: She's the iconic gena of Martin, one of the most beloved sitcoms of the nineties, and she's appeared in movies like House Party and Little Shop of Horrors. And then we have Christopher McDonald as the Dufest principal Brannigan. McDonald is unavoidable as shoot A McGavin Shoota in the nineteen ninety six Happy Gilmore, but has also appeared in film on Louise Quiz Show and HBO's Hacks.
Speaker 3: He has never not worked.
Speaker 1: I have met him probably six or seven times, and he could not be a nicer human being.
Speaker 3: Wow, a great guy.
Speaker 1: Loves to talk about the industry, very nice man and is in basically everything.
Speaker 3: Yes, Yeah, the movie's one hundred and six minutes long.
Speaker 1: So the Bullseye is well in the rearview mirror and is directed by Patricia Riggan. It's a rare dcom directed by a woman, Thank God. She has since directed TV shows like Little America and Dope, Sick Amazing Show. It was written by April Blair, who created the show All American and has written non Jane by Design, Netflix Is You Wednesday? And as the brains behind the twenty eleven Selena Gomez movie Monte Carlo.
Speaker 2: Disney Does It Again. Finds just these all star of.
Speaker 4: All star people to put these movies together.
Speaker 1: It's just they also give people opportunities and then they're like, oh wow, these people were giving opportunities who are actually awesome?
Speaker 3: What are the chances?
Speaker 4: So yeah, wow.
Speaker 1: Now this is a very loaded question I'm going to ask you, and it's a very tough question. Okay, but what was your favorite Lemonade Mouth song? I guess track if you want to. I want to be like industries, So what's your favorite track?
Speaker 3: Yo?
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to be hip. I'm almost fifty.
Speaker 2: It's hard to pull it together when you throw me off with such silliness. I think that the first actual big song that they do on the stage determinate. It's probably my favorite.
Speaker 1: Where they do like the electric slide to each side as they say, y yeah, mine too.
Speaker 2: When I really bought in on the band as a whole.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because the first one where they're just in the detention room.
Speaker 4: Couldn't That couldn't end faster for me?
Speaker 1: How do you know the lyrics well enough to sing back up on the song you've never heard?
Speaker 4: That's not my issue.
Speaker 2: But are you tip tapping? And like, oh I can't. That's just the part Thatson.
Speaker 5: I'm not trying to make a movie. I love worse. I can't believe neither of you have addressed the idea that the vocals have background.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, yes, she doubles up on herself for the song that she's just invented on the spot.
Speaker 2: I let that kind of stuff go because to make it a great song, you have.
Speaker 4: To do that stuff. It's just what it is.
Speaker 2: But it's the tip tappy with this and that and let me get my.
Speaker 3: Life, you know.
Speaker 1: When they did explain it though, they explained it really well at one point, and then it worked perfectly in a movie called Bandslap.
Speaker 3: Okay, also last two notes here. There was talk of a sequel.
Speaker 1: At one point it was even announced on the View by the cast, but it was later canceled. Despite the fact that a second book was published by Mark Peter Hughes and was also relatively successful, and though it never came to fruition. Bridget Mendler in twenty eleven said it was possible that a less fictional version of Lemonade Mouth with all the core cast members participating, could record new music together and eventually go on tour, but alas they did not. And now that she's going to, you know, eventually travel to Mars and namely Scott is blowing up, that is probably no longer.
Speaker 3: In the cards.
Speaker 4: But I think so, I think we have to let that go.
Speaker 1: I think Lemonade To this time it's perky er, what would it be this this time it's more sour sour. Yeah, yeah, I don't think it's going to happen. But let's get into lemonade Mouth itself. So we open, as we were talking about, with a teaser look into the future as this band we all know from the title Lemonade Mouth is getting ready to play for a rabid sold out arena We're told they've been called poets and geniuses, but no one really knows.
Speaker 3: How this group was formed, and now we're going to find out.
Speaker 1: And then boom, we are transported to a high school detention I'll at Breakfast Club. It's led by music teacher Miss Resnick, and is filled with who later make up the legendary Lemonade Mouth Stella on lead guitar, When on keyboard, Mo on bass, Charlie the drum God, and Olivia White, the future front person. But now at this point when we meet them, they're bored, rebellious, punished, and stuck. We also learned that Miss Resnick is underfunded as a teacher of the arts, as so many teachers of the arts are ignored because of the school's focus on sports. She knows how important it is for students to be creative, but gets no support for teaching music, to the point where they've all been moved down to this basement subdivision because no one cares about them. And then we go back even further in time, as Sabrina was talking about, we need to take a one jump further to see how everybody got detention. So we first meet guitar playing Stella she's late for a first day of school at Mesa High. We immediately learned that her family is an uptight group of brainiacs. Is a busy business woman, and that's in dire contrast to her obviously protest ready liberal warped tour style that's caused some friction. She's even wearing a shirt that says question authority, which has already caught the eye of our school principal. That's when we meet when whose mom has abandoned their family, and now his father is proudly tating a twenty eight year old hotty college co ed, which is rightfully embarrassing to his son, but his dad just wants when to give her a chance. This has caused a major rift between them, and their relationship is a bit strained. Were you at all shocked to see a storyline like this, Absolutely on a dcom?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, you know, as we're watching more, this idea of the storylines and the boundaries that I thought Disney had a really maybe not so much. They're not as tight knit as I thought they were. I didn't mind it in the sense of I think that's a real life thing. Your parents, you know, get a divorce or whatever. And your family. It's hard for a lot of kids have to watch as a teenager their parents go back into the dating world. That is a very real thing, and I think Disney really tries too as much as they can bring that stuff to their you know, to their audience of you are not the only one going through this, you know.
Speaker 3: I agree. I don't think they would do it now.
Speaker 2: I don't think she looked twenty eight.
Speaker 1: I don't either, But I don't think they would do it now either. I think they would. I think there would be more of a pushback on a twenty to twenty five year old age difference, right.
Speaker 2: I don't know why she couldn't have been like in her early thirties, thirty three, thirty four, that would still have been a big gap. Yeah, you know, she was still very cute and adorable, and you know, I just I feel like pushing it at twenty eight was just kind of a little odd.
Speaker 1: I don't disagree, and I don't think they would do it now. But like you, it didn't bump me too much.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Drummer Charlie is being dropped off by his parents, and although he's holding drumsticks, he's being pressured to try out for soccer something obviously Hay, but he needs to do because his brother is a star soccer player at college at Stanford and he's always living in that shadow.
Speaker 3: We will get into that in the future.
Speaker 1: And Mo, of course, whose Indian upbringing has kept her somewhat reserved and focused on her studies, but she's ready to break out for her father's watchful I date her rock star boyfriend and change into more skin showing dresses after her dad drops her off. This is a normal trope. Did you do these kind of things when you're dropped off at school?
Speaker 2: I did not have to my parents. I didn't really wear too revealing. Although now I look back and I'm like, Mom, that dress I'm wearing is so sure.
Speaker 4: And I'm wearing like hooker platforms. Mom, What's I mean?
Speaker 2: Why did you let me do that? I do question some things.
Speaker 4: Nothing was ever too crazy.
Speaker 2: I mean really, I don't look back, but I still go like being a mom now and going I would not let Monroe do that. I don't care.
Speaker 4: She will have to do that.
Speaker 2: She will have to sneak some crazy shoes like that out of the house because that's just not going to go down for me, but I did have friends. Now it was part of their like religious, you know, culture that they couldn't even wear spaghetti straptops. Everything had to be a T shirt and they definitely And it was funny because I think both the moms was two girls. Both of the moms knew that they would take a backpack in if it was like a birthday party.
Speaker 4: I remember I had a birthday party. It was a dance party.
Speaker 2: We had a DJ for my thirteenth and sure enough, they came in one outfit, brought a backpack, went into the bathroom. My mom washed them go into the bathroom, come back out in a totally different outfit and enjoy the party.
Speaker 4: It was literally though, just spaghetti straps.
Speaker 2: It wasn't something super scandalous, which is exactly what happens here with Mo.
Speaker 4: Yeah she's not looking, but I under.
Speaker 1: She doesn't get into whatever hooker platforms are, which is the only thing I can hear in my head right now because I still don't know what that is.
Speaker 4: They they belong into and like the shoes they were not. They did not belong on my.
Speaker 2: Feet, but their shoes seventh and eighth grader right their shoes there you know, think of seventy style, big platforms with huge heels. Yeah, no, I don't know how that happened. It's embarrassing. I'll try to find I know, I know already. Lisa is going you got you better get a pull a picture of that. I will do it, I will do it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: There's also the mysterious Olivia, but she comes into play later. So we find out that Moe is dating Scott, a cool kid who's in the school's most popular band, a group of the name rivaling anything we've heard in a Disney movie before mud Slide crush My. Scott convinces her to ditch school for his band practice, but they get caught and she gets detention. As we have seen, he gets a warning because there is a big soccer game coming up and he is the star player. Meanwhile, Wen is surprised when his dad's twenty eight year old girlfriend shows up to class with his school folder, and when his classmates whistle and the teacher even looks her up and down, which was odd, he goes nuclear and gets a detention slip because he says to his teacher what he's stupid. It's a very in this word, a lot, but a bizarre storyline. Yeah, all the way around.
Speaker 2: And this is also what's starting to take a very long time to get into this freaking movie.
Speaker 4: I'm starting to get annoyed at this part.
Speaker 1: I do not disagree with you. I wanted to pick it up a little bit. They could have cut fifteen minutes out of the beginning here.
Speaker 4: They didn't need to go back the first time.
Speaker 2: They should have just contract at this part, start explaining how they got into detention.
Speaker 3: I do not disagree with you.
Speaker 1: And then Olivia gets her attention for hiding in a janitor's closet to read. I still don't know what she did wrong.
Speaker 2: Insane punishment for reading reading a book, yes.
Speaker 3: While being quiet in a jenerous closet.
Speaker 1: I mean I could see if they opened the door and she was cooking meth or something like that, But she's not.
Speaker 3: She's reading.
Speaker 4: I mean, she's most likely not.
Speaker 2: Everyone knows you don't just let the janitor's office and those types of places are not meant for students to be.
Speaker 4: But I guess she wasn't doing anything bad.
Speaker 3: No, she's also a good student. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yah. Charlie gets his punishment for throwing a soccer ball at his coach during his disastrous tryout to where he literally cannot kick a ball. It was so over the top. Why not have him kick it where he can't go anywhere near the goal. He can't kick a ball with his foot at all?
Speaker 3: Right, it was a little money.
Speaker 2: Monroe can kick a ball. She can kick a ball, and she's never played that sport.
Speaker 1: Anyone can kick a ball. Just have him kick it somewhere wrong, have him do something. But it was so he's a drummer. You know how coordinated you have to be to be a drummer with your feet. But the guy can't kick a ball.
Speaker 4: You coordinated, right?
Speaker 1: I know?
Speaker 3: It was so over the top for me.
Speaker 1: I was like, you've got And that's when I was kind of like, oh no, what is this movie going to be?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: A little too much?
Speaker 1: But later at a pep rally to welcome the school's newest sports sponsor, Sports Blast, and the gym and football field they paid for, Stella causes a scene. So this is where Stella gets her detention by standing up fighting the commercialism and dictatorship of the school, getting someupport from the student body, but yes, also getting detention at this point, you have a favorite member of the band. No, no, I don't either yet. I'm not there yet.
Speaker 2: At this point, I'm starting to go. If they don't start doing these songs soon, I'm gonna.
Speaker 3: He's angry at the point, just if it just.
Speaker 2: Am I'm starting to get because I'm I'm again. I went into this movie full throttle ready to love it, and I don't love it yet.
Speaker 4: What is happening right.
Speaker 3: I don't, but we will, but we will.
Speaker 1: Wait.
Speaker 5: I have a question. I just to defend it again, because this needs a voice. I think you didn't feel Breakfast Club d coom here at all.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, I felt it.
Speaker 2: Its just I wanted to let's get to let's get to the chaos, let's get to the music, Let's get to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm ready.
Speaker 4: I'm ready.
Speaker 5: Here is also dancing, which I'm not defending. The dancing is not great.
Speaker 3: No, it was.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, it dragged a bit for me at the beginning as well. I think it could have done. It could have done some tightening and let the boy kick a ball.
Speaker 4: For these things.
Speaker 1: Now we're in the basement, hidden with the rest of the school's under service art programs like Robotist Club, the Shakespeare Society.
Speaker 3: And vending machine for Mel's lemonade. This group of slackers, we've seen them earned attention for the first twenty minutes, and now they're gathered to pay the price. So now we're caught up.
Speaker 1: We're caught up with that first flashback, and Tisha Campbell comes back and is mad about the principal and her underfunded music program. She leaves them to clean up the room, but instead we got our first musical number. The drummer started. Now the Serena's favorite part. The drummer starts tapping on the desk. When starts throwing around his keys, Stella claps hard and move of course finds it cello like you do, and on cue, Olivia belts out a perfectly worded song that they've perfectly fallen in sync, even with doubling her voice. They make no mistakes whatsoever as a band. They already know the lyrics and that's the first time they're ever supposed to have played a song or played anything together. At this point, I was a little mad because I was like, hey, you know, what's a better version of this band?
Speaker 5: Slam?
Speaker 1: Now this I'm sure never happened with the Beatles or anything like that, But.
Speaker 3: We've seen it.
Speaker 1: Here's the birth of lemonade Mouth. Even if you don't know how they got their name. But miss Resnick overhears them playing and she says, you have to become a band. That was magic and it'll help with the school's music funding. She even suggests they entered the New Rising Stars talent competition to win a record deal. But they don't want to do that because mudslag Crush is entering, so no one is going to go.
Speaker 3: Who in their right mind would go up against Mudslide.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's then that we learn some of Olivia's secret. She lives with her grandmother, who has a dying cat. We also learned that when has a horse, but he doesn't want to ride it with his dad's hot girlfriend. We also see that Charlie is at home practicing his drums and lying to his mom about soccer. No, mom, I kicked the ball once. But also, did you notice how rich they obviously are. It might be the nicest house since the pixel Perfect Mansion. Yes, they're they've all got money.
Speaker 3: I mean one of her in.
Speaker 2: One of my Sabrina seas, I mean yes, all of these people. Maybe maybe not Olivia, no not. Her house is and giant, but all of these people have an incredible amount of of of money. They are all in very nice houses, which is wonderful.
Speaker 1: Back at Stella's how she continues to butt heads with her family, fighting them because she's a vegetarian. She feels like the real dummy of the group. Her mom is totally distracted by her work. Then we cut to Olivia, who's feeling very alone. She starts to rethink about the band idea. She texts the Detention Gang she wants to talk.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Now they're at Dante's Pizza and over a slice, she tells them that not only do they need to be a band, but she's already signed them up for Rising Star and for a Halloween.
Speaker 3: Bash for practice.
Speaker 1: After some back and forth, they all finally, for different reasons, they agree to join, and we have a band without a name.
Speaker 3: At this point, we still don't have a name.
Speaker 1: First band practice is a disaster, which is as it's would be, Which is good though, because they've already sung one song perfectly together, until they decide to just basically roll with the punches, kind of like they're in a PROMPTU detention bop and we get their second song, another one immediately with background vocals and no mistakes, called Somebody another good song. That's one thing I'll say. Every time the songs were played, they were great. Yeah, very catchy, poppy, rocky, good song.
Speaker 2: I will say the music saved some of the not so great parts of the storyline and where it goes, and that maybe the tempo of stuff. Every time. I mean, I agree with you one hundred percent. Every time the music starts coming in, you reset, you're in, you keep watching because the music was really great.
Speaker 1: We've also we've also talked about this briefly as we've been going through, but the acting is all top.
Speaker 4: Notch, all of it.
Speaker 1: They're they're all great. They're all great. They're all stars. You can tell they're all stars. They've been put together.
Speaker 2: Even the second and third type characters that come in and out, they're all great, which is awesome.
Speaker 3: And we should say they all do their own sing.
Speaker 1: You know. We talked about this during High school musical where they didn't let him sing as Troy originally, which I should have because they let him sing later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think this time young actors were realizing that that was a lot of roles to be had, is to have that triple threat. So they were fine tuning, coming in ready to go, knowing that that would be a huge opportunity on the Disney Channel, and they were absolutely.
Speaker 3: All the acting great.
Speaker 1: And now we're over back in Moe's relationship with Scott. Oh, Scott, the member of the Mudslides. There is tension because they're said at Halloween Bash has been cut in half since some new band quote unquote has joined.
Speaker 3: And she quickly realizes.
Speaker 1: Uh, oh, it's my band, and she comes clean to him and it gets weird quick.
Speaker 3: He is not a.
Speaker 1: Fan of letting his girlfriend have any opportunities whatsoever.
Speaker 2: Like what I just I mean, first of all, his initial reaction.
Speaker 4: I think for me, I would have maybe let him go on a little bit longer without knowing I was a part of this.
Speaker 2: I don't think she confesses so quick. I was like, oh, you might want to This is gonna stir She's trying.
Speaker 3: To be open in her relationship. He was just like wow.
Speaker 4: I was like, but you don't know, might not hurt you right now, So I'm gonna let this.
Speaker 2: Scott was not a fan Scott was pissed instantly, very literally.
Speaker 1: At one point, it's like, well, if you want to do music, just join our band.
Speaker 3: Don't don't go somewhere else. We'll give you a tambourine or something.
Speaker 2: A backup yah'tar player behind him. Yes, no, thanks, sir. I think I'm good.
Speaker 1: I'm in my own unnamed band with my detention mate. We've only picked up instruments once and we're amazing. Imagine when we actually practice.
Speaker 3: How good will be.
Speaker 2: Mudslide Crush absolutely better watch out.
Speaker 1: So yeah, he gets very weird, very quickly, but not nearly as weird as Mudslide Crushes very first song, which they performed a sketchy warehouse surrounded by cars from Fast and Furious. There's also at least twelve people in the audience. They're basically it's like if Rage Against the Machine was filled with egotistical jerks rapping about how great they are.
Speaker 3: But everyone I loves it.
Speaker 2: They love it. I got some forty one from this, and like you had Charlotte Vibes, that's what I got, okay from this, and those were giant bands. Yeah, I can never remember years of when these bands were big, but this must have been it, because that's what they seemed like they were going for.
Speaker 1: Some forty one I think was right around kind of the same time as Blink one eighty two.
Speaker 3: I would say late nineties for some thirty one, yes, and this is twenty eleven.
Speaker 2: Okay, so then they were I guess we're reaching reaching Sure, this was I will do a Sabena sees right here, it's got to happen. Why in the world did he get in the car and then jump out?
Speaker 4: The car had nothing to do with anything. Why was the car there?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: He jumps on the thing?
Speaker 1: Was?
Speaker 4: I mean?
Speaker 2: He like gets in the car, turns the lights on, and then gets out.
Speaker 4: What is happening?
Speaker 3: He does? That was?
Speaker 1: It was their lyrics that were which we will get into later.
Speaker 3: That was the worst part for me. But much like Crush obviously has a very big following.
Speaker 2: Then the ladies loved him. The guys wanted to be that they all going on.
Speaker 3: They did.
Speaker 1: We are now back in the music room in the gang share a lemonade to their new band. But they need a name, soul roof the Anarchiss and when is that a possibility?
Speaker 3: But they're all suggested, but now.
Speaker 1: Nobody can come up with anything very good, and now the student body is actively bullying them for taking the stage time away from Mudslide crush. Even MOS's boyfriend is ignoring her and flirting with other girls. This guy does not It's not even rejection, it's just he does not deal with her having her own life well at all.
Speaker 4: A douche Canoosh.
Speaker 2: Can't.
Speaker 3: This is when we realized that Charlie has a crush on Mo. Yeah, so sweet and most sees them only as a friend and I'm like, okay, we know, but.
Speaker 2: Charlie sees at the very beginning, Charlie sees her and trips. He has a really terrible happens in the first of the movie when she's cut pulling up.
Speaker 3: How we really see it?
Speaker 2: Now you really get that this is not a teeny crush. This is a big time.
Speaker 1: He is the most uncoordinated drummer in the history of the world.
Speaker 2: I could never see Travis Barker tripping like that. There's no way.
Speaker 3: Now You've got the cutest guy, nicest guy.
Speaker 4: The lovable teddy bear who is.
Speaker 1: Just in love with Moe, who's also adorable, like I can't wait to see where this is gonna go, yes, it's gonna be disappointed, gives.
Speaker 2: Me Jonas vibes. You know, he's looking a lot like Joe Jonas. It's like, because that's not gonna happen.
Speaker 1: And when the lead singer of the Budside crush A just one of the greatest jerks in history who's friends with Scott, has words with Olivia, a fight breaks out, ending with Moe When and Charlie joining in and Stella spitting lemonade in the jerkspace. Right as the principal breaks the bully mud slight singer callser like you would a lemonade mouth. And that is how they got their band name. Band name could have been better. I'm sorry, the band name could have been better. I get what they're doing, I get the kind of taking it from something in the thing, but.
Speaker 3: It could have been It's a weird.
Speaker 2: I have a very specific situation to talk about lemonade, but it must wait till Sabrina Cee.
Speaker 3: You got it.
Speaker 2: The whole lemonade thing I could not grasp and it was not. It's now the movie is starting to get good. Now I'm really like joining in, But like every time they even resort back to the lemonade mouth of any sorts.
Speaker 4: I'm like, man, there could have been a better.
Speaker 1: By the way, I'm guessing this entire time, producers Lisa and MICHAELA Are just screaming at their computers.
Speaker 2: I think this is the best name ever the entire time. You know, Lisa's got some lemonade mouth merch.
Speaker 1: You know it's there does By the way, Lisa said, Will is the only person I know who loves band slam.
Speaker 4: Great movie.
Speaker 1: Oh it's such a better version than this. Anyway, this is a good movie.
Speaker 3: I didn't mind it.
Speaker 2: But no, the lemonade mouth, I agree, And we're probably gonna get a lot of backlash for that, but yeah, I think it's.
Speaker 3: A good punky band name.
Speaker 1: I didn't like the origin of it, of the guy going she's a lemonade mouth.
Speaker 3: Who would do that?
Speaker 1: There's a cooler way, see, you know what I thought it was going to be, which is the way I would have done it if it because and keeping the title exactly the same, is this one particular brand of lemonade. Every time you sip it, it makes them all do the same thing, and it gives them lemonade mouth like, oh you.
Speaker 3: Got the lemonade mouth.
Speaker 1: I thought it was gonna be like they're all going to take a sip and go like hmm, and that's that's where you get it, and so it gives you lemonade mouth.
Speaker 3: But no, it's the guy.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you trying to make it better, but it's still just don't like it, like I just.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I get it, I get it. I understand.
Speaker 2: Sorry, guys, No, I love you, Mikayla and Lisa, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: When visits Olivia at her grandmother's house to write some songs, including one called Terminate, which is our favorite song, and she cries when her cats walk our cat walks by, which is showing some emotional vulnerability. This is when we learned that her mom is dead and she doesn't want to talk about her dad, and the last real connection she has to her mom is this cat.
Speaker 3: Great connection.
Speaker 1: Animals can do that for us, and it's the last living thing you have connecting you, this other living thing. Really well written love that great way to bring the cat back into it makes total sense.
Speaker 4: I feel like that pulls on anyone's heart strings.
Speaker 1: It does.
Speaker 2: You know had a significant cat or in their life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and especially if that pet is connected to somebody that is no longer here. Yes, that's your last living connection to this It's it was great, it was I loved it. But she, of course just wants to sing. When is a real Jesse Plemon's vibe by the way he does is is he relationship material Sabrina?
Speaker 3: When he was.
Speaker 4: Sweet a later on towards the end, he has a little bit of a mishap.
Speaker 2: I was like, when buddy, come on, pull it back, calm down, We're okay. But at this point and in this part of the storyline so far, super adorable.
Speaker 3: I agree. I agree one hundred percent. And he was one of his starts.
Speaker 1: He was starting to become one of my favorite band members at this point. But I also really liked Stella. I don't know, I'm going back and forward love style.
Speaker 2: I did not like When's hair that was a Sabrina seas that bothered me.
Speaker 3: I'm like mine right now, which looks joyous.
Speaker 4: Listen.
Speaker 2: His was styled the way it was, and that missed the mark for me fair enough.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe it's because of the Lemonade, maybe gave him lemonade hair, better title Lemonade hair. So just as the gang is getting more comfortable with the band. The lemonade machine in the basement is about to be removed, and they are furious the school's deal with turbo Blast, which I don't know about high schools actually making deals.
Speaker 4: I don't know if private schools do.
Speaker 5: Okay, hey, my public school did psips.
Speaker 3: She made a deal with your high school.
Speaker 2: That's pretty I mean, maybe in the vending machines they have either coke or pepsi type products. I could see that, But like a sponsorship modern days a huge thing, and they're sponsored by Nike.
Speaker 5: So I think it's a big business where and I think there was like an article about it a couple of years ago how it was under obviously under fire, but like they would pay for like a new scoreboard, and then that that creates the idea that you would only have their vending machines in your school and they were doing it like across the company.
Speaker 2: There's definitely a lot of talking about scoreboards or parts theaters that are funded by a lum or somebody who's big within the city.
Speaker 4: I definitely know that, But that's interesting.
Speaker 2: I've never really heard of like companies, especially for public schools, but makes sense very strange.
Speaker 1: The schools deal with turboblast, which apparently is a real thing, doesn't let any other beverages on campus. And if that wasn't enough, when finds out his dad asked Hatty McCatty the twenty something to marry. It is now the night of Halloween Bash and even though Olivia is very nervous, a Lemonade of course concert and they take the stage and they absolutely kill it with their new dance tune, the one that Sabrina and I love the best Determinate, which features a big rap from when the student body loves it, and they have a second song protesting the school's politics, which the principal obviously does not love and shuts it down. He says, Lemonade Mouth is finished and they can't use the school's instruments or band room at all. Did your high school bands?
Speaker 4: I can't wait to talk about it. Yes, we had a band.
Speaker 2: Shout out to Kyle Stanley who is the head of it. Kind of got it together and they actually would perform in our quad during break time every once in a while.
Speaker 3: What was their name?
Speaker 2: They were called dream and there I think, and we were the Dream team. We got shirts made and we would wear our shirts the days that they would perform and stuff. It was for the band, totally, totally. Oh you should have seen me out a Blink one eighty two concert. I lost my mind.
Speaker 3: I well, I get becert.
Speaker 2: But they yeah, and they went on. I tried so hard to look it up. But two of them went into uh bands that toured and did really well, and one of them was a part of I think Cold War Kids.
Speaker 4: He was maybe the singer. I mean, they went on.
Speaker 2: They all did really well, and it was awesome. I like love thinking back on that that we were their first groupies. Absolutely no one was dating them or anything like that.
Speaker 4: We were just they were all.
Speaker 3: Just going to say, did you date anybody in the band?
Speaker 2: No, they were our friends that we just really loved to support because they were really good, really good. So I'm so happy that they ended up, you know, moving on and really not as a group. You know, they did have their own bands that they went on to, but so so cool to know that we were a part of their beginning of their tie right.
Speaker 1: Well, if anybody out there has any recordings of Dream, I want to hear them. Even with the temporary band though the av club has been selling lemonade Mouth CDs. A local newspaper praise of performance and the entire school is obsessed. So the band is of course anything but dead. When gave Dante of Dante's Pizza Famous CD and he wants them to play at his spot, which of course the school can't say no do, and it goes amazingly well, standing room only they call it, even though everyone is actually sitting when they cut their performance, and then Moe jams out maybe my second favorite song, She's So Gone as she's draped across the tables, which of course to be covered in pizza sauce, which is all I was thinking about at the time. Seen the band has exploded locally, but bad news. Olivia's Kat has died, and she finally tells her friends that not only is she upset about that, but her dad is in jail. She hasn't spoken to him in years and has thrown out all of his letters. Everyone in the band is facing their own problems at home, but the music has allowed them to escape, which prove with a new acoustic song right there on the spot. Okay, Cheetah Girls versus Lemonade Mouth, who wins Battle of the bands.
Speaker 2: Ooh, I mean I'm gonna have to stick behind my girls, the Cheetah Girls. I think we would because I did really love a lot of our songs, and we have movement them on that small stage. They didn't have a lot her going up and down the aisles. I'm not always a fan of that, you know. I got to Will, I can't back down.
Speaker 3: No, you got to talk with your team.
Speaker 2: Will talk about a backlash. Don't you set me up for that, sir? Yes, I mean it's such different music that is like apples and oranges of the type of music and what we did as performances. I tend to like obviously what we did with the Cheetah Girls, although it was a really like I said, I loved bands.
Speaker 4: I loved love they were still love them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Bolton would have beaten you all. Lemonade Mouth continues their ride.
Speaker 1: You could try getting their music on the radio, which is a massive thing in twenty eleven. They're so happy that Olivia even changes the dial in her grandmother's three thousand year old radio. But then so they have a terrible show at Dante's, Moe's getting sick. The awful mud Slide lead singer is heckling them. This turns into a ride of people throwing empty solo cups and everyone's pretending like they're being belted by bricks or something.
Speaker 3: Heavy drummer Charlie.
Speaker 2: Finally, oh man, brutal.
Speaker 1: Chucky boy professes his love to Mow and he gets friend zoned instantly.
Speaker 2: Yet but I mean, know your audience pay attention to the timing. Homegirl is so sick. Yeah, just I mean, it just was, Charlie. What were you thinking?
Speaker 1: Because you get as a guy sometimes you just you get up the nerve and you're like, I'm doing it now, I'm doing you don't care about the timing, and just you jump he jump.
Speaker 3: Oh, Charlie.
Speaker 4: And it was bad and this is correct me if I'm wrong.
Speaker 2: This is after she also has had the talk with Scott, the jerk, who has had started a new relationship. He's come back to her already saying he's sorry, right, I think she's so crowd. I can't remember if Charlie happened before, but it was all around the same time. Moe is in shambles. This was not the time.
Speaker 1: No, this was not the time, Charlie. No, I'm so because Moe is also her Baba, which is what she calls her. Dad is furious she's even talking to boys at all. Yes, so she's gone through some stuff, but the bad luck keeps coming. Charlie breaks his hand in a very contrived accident in his mansion, and then when ups the Antie when a picture frame hits him in the eye and his dad asked him to be the best man. By the way, the one thing this did in this movie not do well was the black eye makeup, which just looked terrible.
Speaker 3: The band is coming apart at.
Speaker 1: The seams, and when the basement lemonade machine is set to be taken away, Stella protests not like in the moving truck drive away, and this sends the entire band to jail. Now, in all fairness, they do say we're not actually arrested, we're just waiting for our parents.
Speaker 2: But Olivia also now randomly has.
Speaker 4: She has laryngitis out of nowhere.
Speaker 1: Why because the band's falling apart, Sabrina, this is the band falling apart.
Speaker 2: I can get it, but I don't think everyone needs to be in such shambles. This is a complete show. What has happened. Not everyone has to be.
Speaker 1: The band's in the Lemonade Mouth is puckered their last pucker.
Speaker 2: It looks like because I get where we're at.
Speaker 4: I get it, but I didn't see the reason.
Speaker 1: Olivia, Kayla, and Lisa screaming at their computers.
Speaker 2: I'm so sorry, but it did not make a lot of sense to me on that part.
Speaker 4: Sorry.
Speaker 1: Now they're in jail, so they make a song by hitting the bars and using their their jacket zippers. That's Supreme's favorite and luckily there's no back tracks this time.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, please stop.
Speaker 1: There's a lot going on, but Lemonade Mouth is clearly alive and well. The band has eventually bailed out Olivia by her mom, when by his dad's young fox girlfriend who he now hugs and loves, Moe by her angry father who eventually softens up, and Charlie is picked up by his superstar soccer playing Stanford brother, who we find out is actually failing out of school, and they agree that they're going to tell his parents about his grades, at the same time as Charlie admitting that he isn't playing soccer at all. No one's perfect. We'll do it together. It took me a while to realize this was actually his brother. It was a strange casting and I was like, who is this strange old guy picking him up?
Speaker 3: And I was like, oh, that's his brother apparently, who's coming to you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but a good moment I loved.
Speaker 4: Great moment.
Speaker 2: Is that my older sister. I mean she that just took me right back to a memory with her. It was like, you know, picking up your little sibling and just we'll do it together. All is good, I got your back. Yes, yes, family moment, all the acting.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes is great, so good. Yes.
Speaker 1: Stella is freed by her mom, who knows she's been too preoccupied and is proud of her headstrong daughter. Her whole family is going to attend Rising Stars and so we all hopefully have some sort of hope that Lemonade mouth. At this point, there's gonna be some some.
Speaker 3: Sort of a concert.
Speaker 1: Now we cut to Rising Stars and mud Slide is somehow playing an even more obnoxious song than before. But it gets even better because lead singer is wearing a shirt with his own face on it.
Speaker 2: Yes, that was a Sabrina seas. I knew you were gonna take it. But that's okay because it must be talked about it. We must be talked about his own his own face on his own shirt, which is great.
Speaker 1: I want that shirt with his face on it, but I also want my own eyes it.
Speaker 4: I know she does. Lisa put it in the chat. Tell me I'm not wrong. You have the shirt.
Speaker 3: I want that shirt. I want that shirt, she says, I do not.
Speaker 1: I don't buy it, slowly taking it off and folding it up.
Speaker 3: She's got it. Okay.
Speaker 1: So here are some of the lyrics of the song that Mudslide Crush is singing.
Speaker 4: I am so glad we're doing this.
Speaker 3: We have to.
Speaker 1: My girl is hotter than yours. You know it, you know it. Yeah, my ride is sweeter than your ride.
Speaker 3: You know it. You know it.
Speaker 1: Don't you wish you were us? Don't you wish you were us? I'm about to steal your girlfriend. I'm about to knock you down. And everybody loves this song. It is the worst song.
Speaker 3: Ever. How is this the band?
Speaker 2: It has to be because we have to hate this band right, We have to not be fighting for this band's good. They could still be good, because if they were good, you have to understand that, like Lemonade, Mouth is the band of this movie.
Speaker 4: They must be the best I.
Speaker 1: Know, but they I mean, when you're in all the step up movies, all the bad guys can still dance.
Speaker 2: But it's sometimes you haven't watched a step up movie and gone, oh, I don't know if they really like one not. It seemed pretty even to me.
Speaker 1: I oh, no, that show us how little I know about dance, because I'm always like, I think the other guys were better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, that's what I mean.
Speaker 2: So they did not do that all the time and step it up and I scar how a lot of times after the battle, I'm like.
Speaker 4: Did they win that?
Speaker 2: Or was that kind of a tie, you know? Or did the bad guys to judge that? Yeah, well it's all. It's all you know. It's hard, but I mean they had to do.
Speaker 1: But anyway, it's the worst song I've ever heard. It's a terrible it was it was awful.
Speaker 4: It was off.
Speaker 1: Then lemonade Mouth takes the stage and despite the broken hand which seems to have healed the fact that Olivia now has laryngitis and when has the messed up eye, this is where.
Speaker 3: I thought they kind of went brilliantly with this movie.
Speaker 1: Yes, as you were expecting the typical dcom ending of they overcome all their adversity and.
Speaker 4: Stayed like minutes left.
Speaker 2: This is but you're doing.
Speaker 1: That expecting that to happen, and it doesn't. They completely and totally fall apart. It's over before it even starts. And as they're about to walk off the stage and defeat, the audience, including all of their families, join in and start singing their song for them. They play their musical instruments and watch on, all about to cry as even Moe's mud Slide boyfriend Scott Douchey Douscherson himself leaves his band to help them at the moment, it's a great moment.
Speaker 3: It was not predictable at all. I enjoyed it because didn't see it coming.
Speaker 2: And I will tell you, looking out into an audience and the first time you're realizing these fans know your music, it's a moment. It's a moment. So I really loved this part of for the band's progression and their journey, it was great.
Speaker 3: That was rad Yeah, very important, very important part of the movie. Really enjoyed this.
Speaker 1: They don't win Rising Star, but Mo and mud Slide Scott get back together. Which I was like, come on, Charlie, they obviously didn't really want anybody in the band to date. I guess they, Charlie, yes.
Speaker 4: If at all, or be that independent girl power. Yeah, why do we need a boyfriend?
Speaker 3: Exactly?
Speaker 4: We drop the baggage with Charlie.
Speaker 1: Luckily, drummer Charlie, though, meets a new blonde and instantly forgets Mo exists when brings Olivia a new cat. Everyone attends his dad's wedding, but strangely they all sit apart from each other, which I found odd and despite a likely twenty to twenty five year old age difference that wouldn't hold up today.
Speaker 3: The wedding goes off without a hitch.
Speaker 4: But then the most awful wedding dress.
Speaker 3: We have seen is it. I didn't even notice it.
Speaker 4: It was not I just I did not like that wedding.
Speaker 3: Did it give you lemonade mouth?
Speaker 2: It came looking out to it mouth.
Speaker 3: So even weirder.
Speaker 1: Stella meets a guy at the wedding, one of When's dad's old college buddy, who weirdly looks kind of like a high school roo himself. He owns an organic lemonade company has been selling them like hotcakes lately. Yes, he's mouth of Mel's lemonade, maybe a step too far for the film because he didn't give notice to his friend's son was in the lemonade band that made.
Speaker 3: The sales skyrocket. You don't get two and two together.
Speaker 1: But Mel also apparently makes enough money with this small, small lemonade business to build the high school a massive musical auditorium that's like the size of Radio City Music.
Speaker 2: It's so big and so nice, Seeks three thousand, It's incredible.
Speaker 1: It makes miss Resnick and even the principle happy, and there seems to be some sparks between them. Two we realize the whole movie has been narrated by Olivia, who is reading a letter she's been writing that she's sending her father in prison, the first time she's responded in years. And then, assuming that we've missed a lot of steps in between which we're supposed to, we see them playing Madison Square Garden to a sold out crowd with their new guitar player, Scott, who is a jerk through the movie, then ended up with a different girl, but now is in the popular band, still dating the popular girl. I did not get that story line all the guy learned nothing, uh and and made out like a charm by the way, but he is now part of Lemonade Mouth and.
Speaker 3: That is your movie.
Speaker 1: So I can ask what you think happens to Lemonade Mouth moving forward, but I don't know since we won't get a sequel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, there, now that you know, going through the material that the producer sent us that that was on the plate, it kind of because part of my Sabrina sees is why did we just decide to like spark interest between the two adults in the movie. Why did this like all these kind of things that have sort of been left in the air.
Speaker 3: Scott made out as the hero.
Speaker 4: How did that?
Speaker 1: I mean, Scott was in one popular band, now he's in the second popular band.
Speaker 3: He's still got the beautiful.
Speaker 2: And popular exterminated from this storyline completely. Like there was a lot of questions, But now I understand they were setting it up to hopefully have a sequel.
Speaker 1: And hopefully in the sequel, Moe and Charlie we're going to get their Lemonade Mouth on because that would have been great, but they did it.
Speaker 3: Let's do real reviews.
Speaker 4: Yes, Sabrina, you get to do the five star.
Speaker 1: Five star this one and this is from uh someone named m J.
Speaker 3: Glick.
Speaker 1: This is an absolute masterpiece. The music is amazing, the acting is great. The story will keep you immersed because of how well it balances humor, emotion, and action. There the three main elements of a story. In my opinion, five stars. Comprehensive. I don't agree with all of it, but comprehensive. Yeah, what do you got haven?
Speaker 3: The one star review Sabrina.
Speaker 2: I'm not. I think I'm gonna mess this word up because I've never seen it before.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't recognize it either.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, at least they don't feel that silly, but all right. One star from that retro dude lemonade mouth more like lemonade puth poof.
Speaker 3: It doesn't rhyme. Then I don't get it. I don't. I'm going to give a one star review to that one star review.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that retro dude, to try it again, retro dude not not in it?
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 1: We have a new feature, of course, every week on our show, which is one of our producers comes.
Speaker 3: Up with a game that we have to play. This is another one.
Speaker 1: I'm not entirely sure of. I don't understand the rules yet. I'm sure I will eventually. The feature is fictional bandstand. We're gonna be given four fictional band names, and we have to guess the movie they're from. For example, if we're given the Cheetah Girls, they're from the Cheetah Girls. Okay, So then every one of these are from a movie Okay, yeah, I guess, okay, all right, or a TV show or a TV show, gotcha? So number one, the beats b e ts the beats?
Speaker 3: What would the beats be for?
Speaker 2: And we have to give the movie or TV show that this is that we think it's from something from the like seventies.
Speaker 3: Oh you think you're oh, you're going back that far?
Speaker 2: I would think, right, the beats or would it be beats more of a.
Speaker 4: Hip hop type movie?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: This is a tough one, Jensen.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say, breakin.
Speaker 5: It's it's Dug. The TV showed Dug.
Speaker 3: Oh is that?
Speaker 5: I mean you? You did it beautifully, so I knew immediately that it was that and not just a couple of notes that you said. But I don't know.
Speaker 4: Doug the cartoon.
Speaker 3: The number two is crucial taint.
Speaker 1: I heard, I've heard of crucial taunt.
Speaker 5: I would know. I thought Will would know this one.
Speaker 1: Well, crucial taunt is from Wayne's world. I don't know what crucial taint is.
Speaker 3: What would it? Do you have any ideas? Zero?
Speaker 2: I can't get over taint. That's so weird.
Speaker 5: Here's the thing, it's crucial tent and it's Wayne's world. So you get the point. Okay, But I'm so happy that auto correct made it crucial.
Speaker 3: Tank crucial talk.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 5: You get two bonuses out of that, which is one auto correct making a taint and getting that on the air, and then also the idea that you got the point.
Speaker 3: Yes, crucial taint. I love that.
Speaker 5: I wish I did that on purpose.
Speaker 1: Oh so crucial taunt is Wayne's world.
Speaker 3: How about pink slip, pink slip, pink slip?
Speaker 2: I don't know where are what is this?
Speaker 4: Pink pretty in pink?
Speaker 2: What is it? I don't know.
Speaker 5: It's two thousand and three? Is Freaky Friday?
Speaker 3: Oh god, I've seen that. I don't know.
Speaker 5: Maybe it's just a game to figure out what you should be watching.
Speaker 1: Exactly is the next one? I don't even know Is it for asterisk Town or is it for star Town?
Speaker 5: You just go four Town, four Town?
Speaker 2: Now that I feel like was a TV show? Was Was it one of those making the band shows?
Speaker 3: Like No, that's O Town?
Speaker 5: Oh no? And Will is teaching pop music. It's real trouble right for all screwed?
Speaker 1: I think Foretown is gonna be from I don't know wait wait no, Kim possible, No, it's not your own show.
Speaker 3: I thought it was my own show.
Speaker 5: It is? It is Turning Red?
Speaker 3: What's Turning Red?
Speaker 5: Come on? You have a child, bixar. It's a Disney movie.
Speaker 4: Oh, Turning Red one last one?
Speaker 5: It will obviously wins, which is at this point I should have tattooed on my face. But but how about the band name? I can't go on. I'll go on ban Slam. Yeah, that's ban Slam. Okay, great?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love that movie that apparently only.
Speaker 3: Likes greatest movie in the world.
Speaker 1: Lisa doesn't know what she's talking about, the best movie it's ever so well, there we go. Thank you so much, Producer Jensen for fictional bandstand and can we now do yes?
Speaker 3: Sabrina sees.
Speaker 2: I can't believe we didn't talk about this first one. There's just no way you didn't have a giggle. And it was because it was just so ridiculous that I don't even is it called a segue that the and the helmet that he wears while he's on it is just so funny. I dis like he's good on the set.
Speaker 4: He was so good on it.
Speaker 2: He was like just I mean, he he knew how to do that segue to t That was my first thing.
Speaker 4: I just thought was so hilarious.
Speaker 3: Knew how to drive that thing really well.
Speaker 2: And the only time I've ever seen anyone do it better was Mall Cop and that movie. It was all around the mall, but the same thing. It was so funny. Oh man, okay, my my next one, and we I also thought you would have caught onto this. I'm pretty shocked that you didn't. What we're going back to my hatred of the band name again. I'm apologizing to those big time fans out there.
Speaker 4: We are watching a Disney movie.
Speaker 2: Every time they gestured towards the lemonade, look like they the movie could have had shot shot shot, shot shot shot. They were treating that as alcohol.
Speaker 5: The whole time.
Speaker 4: This movie was a matter of alcoholic drink that these kids.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was so crazy to me, even to the point where they cheers, put it down, cheers again. I mean, it's like the whole thing, the way and the way they slam it, the way that's how they get happier again. It was very.
Speaker 4: Alcoholic to me.
Speaker 2: And I know they obviously did not mean to do that, but that's just where it just the gestures just were super strange.
Speaker 3: It was very like throwing it behind yeah.
Speaker 4: Like and I mean I really I her I heard the soundtrack behind me.
Speaker 2: Going shot shot shot everybody.
Speaker 4: I was just like, wow, wow, Wow. So I'm gonna leave it with those two and.
Speaker 1: Those those are great, and we thought we did a bunch more in there. And now, of course we come to the portion of our show where we're gonna rate the movie one out of ten. And the options we've got today are mud Slide, crush, lead singer shirts, midlife crisis, twenty eight year old girlfriends.
Speaker 4: Old cats aw, space.
Speaker 1: Satellite startups, drummer, Charlie Mansions like it like Charlie Manson, but many musical background vocals, or I'm gonna add.
Speaker 3: Crucial taints to the list. Sabrina which one do you want to pick?
Speaker 4: I'm gonna add lemonade shots.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's do lemonade shots. I like that because my other guest is old cats, and.
Speaker 1: People aren't gonna like that one. I think I went first last time for high school cats. Well, so you go first this time.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna give this one an eight point five. With all the things that I kind of, you know, jabbed at again, I did love them name other like. The music in this movie drove this movie. It was so good. We've said it a bunch of times already.
Speaker 4: The acting was great.
Speaker 2: I loved their big old like the adult characters were awesome.
Speaker 4: I loved it, I really did.
Speaker 2: And again, any of those small things that would kind of cringe a little bit here and there all made up for it because the music was just so good. So I'm going for an eight point five lemonade Shots.
Speaker 1: I would have given this a higher rating had they showed them rehearsing a little bit against to me, when they pick up the instruments and everybody knows what they're doing. Again, I'm starting to be okay with it. In something like a high school musical where everyone's supposed to know the dance numbers. Not supposed to be a band. They're supposed to be acting or just using singing to do that. This there's supposed to be a band who picks up the instruments and they all know the songs instantly. Yeah, put in a rehearsal scene because of that. I'm going to give this a solid seven point five.
Speaker 4: Oh good, Okay, I liked it.
Speaker 3: Again, I like, really liked the music. I really liked the music.
Speaker 1: The music was very, very good. It's I said this before. It's my hot take. It is my favorite music to date in any Disney movie. I's fair the music. I finished High School Musical and I liked High School Musical, but I couldn't remember any of the songs really this one. I'm kind of humming the songs as we go along. Descendants was the same thing. I like, I remember the songs from this movie.
Speaker 3: So I liked that.
Speaker 1: The cast phenomenal. Yes, seven point five. I think that's fair. It would have been an eight point five to a nine had they just shown them rehearsing a little.
Speaker 2: Bit as I can. I can't agree with that. I think it needed to have a little bit more of a progression versus it going straight to being awesome.
Speaker 4: But at the same.
Speaker 2: Time, they wasted all that other time going back in time twice.
Speaker 4: Yes, so they didn't have the time, but.
Speaker 2: Because again it's hard, if they had added an actual rehearsal, that would have pushed out that first big performance even right.
Speaker 3: Well, there we go.
Speaker 1: There our our review and watch of two thousand and nine's Band Slam. I'm kidding of two thousand eleven's Lemonade Mouth.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 3: It was good, it really was.
Speaker 1: Our next movie is You Lucky Dog, a nineteen ninety eight film starring Kirk Cameron. And remember to subscribe to our feed and you can follow us at the Magical rewind pod on the old Instagram machine.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for joining us. We will see you next time.
Speaker 2: Bye everybody, Bye,