Speaker 1: I don't see them as all in for Terek's school right now. But God forbid any of those four starters, whether it's Stellar Glass Now and Rehab or you have a Motoro Tani, anyone goes down that's going to switch their thinking immediately.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, and welcome to a live, brand new edition of Dodgers Territory on this Thursday, July ninth. Climt Passy is Katie Wu Alana Riso with you for the next at least half an hour. Get your thoughts in in the chat. We love to hear from you, guys. We appreciate it a lot. To get to today as we get ready to have a day off and then start the final series of the regular season. Let's get to the big ticket.
Speaker 3: Clinton.
Speaker 2: I had a little bit of a discussion about this last night on the postgame show. Katie did as well in her article on The Athletic. But talking about taking two of three from the Rockies wasn't easy, Katie Wu. But they did get it done. What do you think is where I can't talk. What's your opinion on the series with the rock Show.
Speaker 1: I think everyone's just kind of glad it's over. That series felt tough. I think the Rockies played the Dodgers pretty competitively, and the Dodgers kind of gone their own way at times. But look, we're here on July ninth with the fourteen game lead in the NL West. Guys are tired. We're tired, everyone's tired. They have built this company lead in the division so that they can have series like this. They ended up winning the series overall. You can't sweep every team.
Speaker 3: Was it pretty? It was not. Did they get the job done at the end of the day.
Speaker 1: They did, and we were due for an extra innings game. Our good fortune could only last for so long. For me, that was the biggest blow was extra innings on Monday. But like the Dodgers, we prevail the.
Speaker 2: First time all season extra in ns and then Dalton Rushing with the walk off win on the first extra innings game of the season. We'll take that every time. Clint, you're watching every game as well. You mentioned it too. It was interesting the forest innings, four sextra innings on Monday Tuesday of the lost late Wednesday, just enough to beat it. You've said this before. Good time for the All Star break to happen to this team.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the offense Dodgers as a whole looking a little bit sluggish. We're seeing some uncharacteristic errors in there, you know, bit of I will say brain farts, but kind of some brain farts for Miguel Rojas in there. Understandably, it's a long season and you know he's got a lot on his plate right now, a lot, you know, weighing on his mind.
Speaker 5: But not to say there's excuses you make for this team.
Speaker 4: But yeah, right now, the guys are tired, the airs are piling up, and this break is needed. The offense down in the month of July seven hundred ops as a team right now, that's twenty.
Speaker 5: First in baseball. Not good.
Speaker 4: The slug is now only six homers in July, and we know that if you want the dub, you got a slug.
Speaker 5: They're not slugging.
Speaker 4: That's third fewest in baseball type for tis third fewest, three sixty eighth slug is also the seventh worst. And yeah, this is a team that's just plainly in need of a break, in need of a mental research cer reset. Not everybody, surely, not everybody's getting a break. We know the Dodgers are well represented in the All Star game. Hopefully in the next day or two we hear Justin Rableski added to that roster. But this is a team that has been grinding. They have been grinding really since twenty twenty four. You look at we got back to back World Series runs. You got opening the season in Korea, opening the season in Japan, you mixing the WBC in there.
Speaker 5: These boys need a break and these four days are coming at a great, great time. One more series though, yeah.
Speaker 2: One more series. And Katie, what's your opinion of the offense. I mean, it is a difficult time and we can talk about this more too. I'm interested in your opinion the two hole. We had the conversation last night with you know, Tommy Edmund in the two hole and kind of just not a ton of production second base rather, no, a two hole. We're talking about the two time all over. This is my third show of the day. I apologize. So what are you seeing with the offense up and down the lineup? Is it just a need for a break or is it something more nefarious than that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm with Quint, it just per usual.
Speaker 3: I'm team relaxed. Let's calm down.
Speaker 1: But again, we're here in early July, wrapping up the first half. This team has essentially cruised all so far this season, and.
Speaker 3: Guys are tired. Guys need a break.
Speaker 1: I think it is more peculiar than anything that with all of these accomplished hitters, the Dodgers have had trouble finding production no matter who they put in the two hole I like what we saw from Tommy Edmund there because you know he's mostly hit left.
Speaker 3: He's better though he has a switch hitter. He's been more.
Speaker 1: Neutral since coming off the IL. I don't know how long that's going to last. Certainly I hope it does last a while. But is Tommy Edmund you're certified like profile two hole hitter. I don't think so. But until Kyle Tentker figures it out, I don't think you can take Mooki out of the queen up spot and Andy pat Has does find there. I'm still under the belief that Andy Poz is best suited later down in the lineup, you know, fifth or lower. But given the options the Dodgers have right now, he's the best option for the two hole. Hopefully the second half brings better results for Kyle Tecker, because that could really fortify the lineup. But hey, they've been doing just fine the way that they are. If anything, again, not a huge issue because their overall production throughout the season has been some of the top in the league. It's just something a monitor went into the second half. We're gonna nitpick this team because they're so good. We have nothing else to talk about, So let's dissect the two hole. Can they get better in the second half production in that spot?
Speaker 5: And you got you.
Speaker 4: Got a massive lead, you know, in this division, like you could you could take the the you know, foot off the gas a little bit.
Speaker 5: Alna.
Speaker 4: Now I've also not complained, but I've been cautious about, you know, flipping that switch or when do you apply the pressure again to the paddle. I don't know, I'm mixing up my analogies here, but I loved this from mister Classic in the chat. It's fans, players, coaches, media.
Speaker 5: Everybody needs a little bit of a break.
Speaker 4: Of course, not you guys have got Alana doing every show in the world, or at least every show on the Found network.
Speaker 5: Today.
Speaker 4: Both of you guys are going to be at the All Star Game working your asses off, but do something fun. Take time off. Even the media too. That's not what we're here for. We're here for the grind, baby. But yeah, this team go fishing.
Speaker 2: I don't think I'm not going to worry about flipping a switch on July ninth. I need you to flip a switch, you know, come October, whatever it is. When you host the first round of the DS, you know, hopefully it's not too much time off. It's always the rest or rest conversation. We have that every single year. Do you want to just go into it? Do you want to have a couple of days off. I'm not worried about this team at all right now. Every single one of those players needs a break because by the end of the season, everybody is playing hurt. There's a difference between being injured and being hurt. By the end of it, everybody will have some ailments. Make the mistake about it. So anytime you can get some rest, good on them.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: One thing, So I had my complaints about Alex call last night, and I'll call it a challenge gate, Katie.
Speaker 5: What was the pulse there?
Speaker 4: The pulse in the press box there and the Vin Scully press box, press booth. How how is media because they've kind of you know, passed over it when he was finally asked about it in the postgame scrum or availability.
Speaker 5: I think you got to take the keys away from Alex Call a little bit with when it comes to challenging.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, he's been one of the Dodgers best when he's when he's playing in that.
Speaker 3: I don't love.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to go full e K on this, but I don't love the challenge in the first inning. I certainly don't love back to back pitches because that ended.
Speaker 3: Up being a tight ball game.
Speaker 1: You're already up three nothing in the first, but it was a three to three game real quick after that, and you lose all of your challenges remaining.
Speaker 3: That changes the ballgame.
Speaker 1: And I think in a perfect role, the Dodgers were hoping for it not to be that close of a ballgame. But for me, I was a little bit surprised. Maybe Dave was just happy to take the series and get the heck out of there by kind of the nonchalant reaction to his credit. Though again, Alex Call is one of the better challengers in the Dodgers dugout, but the press socks upstairs I hadn't double take. I was like did I what's taking so long for the first challenge? I was like, did I miss a pitch? And Bobby was like, oh no, this is the second challenge and I was like, no, we did not, No, no, he did not. Also that ends well though it was your your not your patented Alex call it bat But we can move past it.
Speaker 3: Just maybe not again.
Speaker 2: Some people just need to take Sometimes you have to take the keys away.
Speaker 5: Okay. I think it's a good point to bring up, he's not he's.
Speaker 3: In time out. We said that yesterday.
Speaker 2: We said that yesterday, corner we challenge, challenge corner time out situation for a couple games. You are no longer allowed to challenge until the second Tuesday after the All Star break. We'll just make that.
Speaker 4: But it is a good point, ye to note that he has not He's not playing a lot right now, so it's harder to get that as much.
Speaker 2: As he's seen. Listen, Linda, Linda.
Speaker 5: I'm not saying it's okay.
Speaker 2: We went our entire lives without having challenges. Oh look, it's deep. We went our entire lives in baseball. So like, I don't want I don't want that excuse that. Oh he doesn't get to play a lot. YadA, YadA, YadA.
Speaker 3: I don't care.
Speaker 2: Not in the first inning.
Speaker 3: If anything, back pitches is crazy, I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: If anything, I'm not going that bold and doubling up on the challenges.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a.
Speaker 4: Friend of the show, lovely dude, but yeah, Holstered, Holster it for just the hair there, bud. Hey, guys, we got plenty, we got plenty more DT coming up. Great conversation coming up after the break, But first the boys over foul Territory.
Speaker 5: I want to tell you about this book.
Speaker 6: In summertime, it's cool in the morning, hot during the day, cool again at night. Rarely am I sitting there going, Oh, I'm just gonna do one thing at a time. I'm bouncing from work, I'm bouncing in the yard, I'm running to a game. Fabletics has got me with price, comfort and versatility, with all the gear that I'm getting from them.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we're talking about premium activewear you'd expect from higher end brands, but without the price tag. Lightweight, breatheable, comfortable, built to actually last. And if you're going to Fabletics, you should be joining as a VIP, which completely changes the game. You can shop now at fabletics dot com slash foul to get seventy to eighty percent off everything when you sign up as a new VIP. Take a quick style quiz and be sure to select foul when prompted to unlock this offer. This is a limited time offer, so don't wait again. That's fabletics dot Com slash foul for seventy to eighty percent off everything as a new VIP. Good.
Speaker 6: I don't give a feel good at four month pits up there.
Speaker 4: It must be a Dodger Territory episode because I'm leaning on a mound visit. Once again, before we get into that, we also want to remind you, guys, subscribe to.
Speaker 5: The channel if you haven't done so already yet.
Speaker 4: More than half the people who watch the show aren't subscribed, and we appreciate you watching.
Speaker 5: Us either way.
Speaker 4: But if you can help us get to twenty thousand subscribers, Alana won't have to work.
Speaker 5: As hard each and every day.
Speaker 4: And you guys, also see Katie wu Reperent representing the show with a DT shirt, You guys can get that same shirt, not the one off for back you creeps, but you can get that same shirt over a Dodger Territory shop dot Com scan the QR code. I've been informed we do not give away the baby, but they're ones do not.
Speaker 5: There are golf toulses, a whole bunch, a whole bunch of cool stuff over at the DT shop, so appreciate. Look at that. It's a good shirt.
Speaker 1: Represent I found it in my closet.
Speaker 3: You house, you never know.
Speaker 2: I think it's there's Those shirts are Wickeds OFFT I have one.
Speaker 3: They're great. There are They're really soft.
Speaker 4: All the map just came out on you said the Massachusetts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's crazy, guys. I saw a NOM jersey the other day and it literally said n O space m A H the number five. I saw that at Fenway, Guys. A couple of things for fans to watch this weekend. Besides the final three games of the first half, the MLB Draft that starts on Saturday. The Futures Game is on Sunday. The Futures Game is the minor league All Star Game. The Dodgers have two representatives top prospects, posts Away Depaula and Mike Sarota, a couple of guys whose names were going to start hearing a lot more after the All Star break as trade deadline rumors really start to ramp up, and Clint, I will defer to you on this because you're much more well versed and Katie is as well, but much more well versed in the whole farm system, the pipeline, if you will, do you think we see those guys sooner rather than later?
Speaker 4: You can see it again. Like I said, they go to see the names a whole lot. Mike Sioda is. I mean, they're both pretty close. Mike so as somebody who, in my opinion, feels closer than de Paula right now. DePaul is still pretty young, but the bat is playing right now.
Speaker 6: He is.
Speaker 5: All of the prospects. It's crazy.
Speaker 4: They are on tears right now, I think mostly at Double A Tulsa.
Speaker 5: So it's the perfect time for them to all get hot.
Speaker 4: I am a Depaula fan, but I'm kind of a Mike Sarota truther. The guy's a guy the Dodgers acquired for Gavin lux a year ago.
Speaker 5: Great under the radar trade.
Speaker 4: The type of trades this Dodgers team, this front office loves to make, trading away guys that maybe don't have a path to playing time, anymore Gavin Lucks, Matt Baty or playing time at all, Michael Bush and getting some sort of talent down in the minor league level. So definitely everybody's gonna want to watch the light Tower power that hosts way to Paula brings in that Futures games. But Mike Sarota, that kid looks like he can be a complete ballplayer, and I know people are gonna be kind of like, what's James Tibbs in this this futures game, Mike Sirota, I think the the up arrow is a little bit higher right now for the long term.
Speaker 5: TIBs got some holes in the swing there. But it's fun.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm not a like massive futures game fan, but I want to see these dudes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll be flying, So I don't think I'm gonna be able to watch it at that point, but it is it is fun to see these guys. I'm really more the opportunity just for them. It's timeless. It's you know, a reward for them for the season that they have had so far, and it is important for people to see what might be coming up the pipeline, or to be honest, like what might serve as a trade piece too, yeah, you know, yeah, they might be traded to you might. It's it's a huge showcase obviously, not only for what these guys do to try to make their way to the big leagues, but it's also a showcase for other teams to see what they can what they can bring to the table if in fact they're looking for those types of you know, players in their organization.
Speaker 4: And it is it is a time. So Katie and I were talking earlier. We also talked about this a good amount last week. You know, this is this is a critical point for this organization, a critical next probably three weeks to a month for the front office and really the next what three to five years for this organization.
Speaker 5: You have the Draft on Saturday.
Speaker 4: And the draft it's never exciting, and it's even less exciting when you're the Dodgers because their first pick isn't until number forty. Overall, you signed a bunch of high quality qualifying offer dudes Kyle Tucker and Edwin Diaz.
Speaker 5: You don't get a lot of high picks. Still, they make the most out of their picks.
Speaker 4: I don't know, should I just kind of run through some of the notes here or Katie, you want to kind of inform people of where.
Speaker 5: The Dodgers are at heading into this draft. I think it makes sense for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well you'll just's freak it down. So allegedly it's an off day. I have zero brain cells today.
Speaker 1: So let's The draft is important for the Dodgers for two reasons. One, it's a chance to bulk up your farm system, of course, and two because when you look around the league, most execs don't start focusing on the trade deadline until after the draft. Since they moved it from June to the All Star Week, it's kind of made the trade deadline conversation from the second half like right out out of the Also, break to the deadline is really when we start to see this. So the Dodgers right now are operating. Okay, we have a really small number of picks for the draft. Let's get through that and go to the deadline. So what can we expect on Saturday? They again, like Clint said, first pick is not until number forty. They don't have a first round pick this year thanks to ruining baseball all right, so they actually received a ten ten pick penalty on their first picks for exceeding the second threshold of the competitive balance tax, and as Clint mentioned, they forfeited their second, third, fifth, and sixth round selections when they assigned Kyle Tucker and Edwin Diaz, both free agents who had had received qualifying offers. So over the first ten rounds, the Dodgers have one, two, three, four, five, six picks, forty one, thirty seven, two twenty six, two fifty six, two eighty six, and three sixteen. I promise you I will only know the fortieth pick. In terms of just the draft.
Speaker 3: In general, it's a lot of names, It's a lot going on.
Speaker 1: But the Dodgers really need to capitalize on the draft because we talk a lot with Andrew Friedman, and he says this very often about needing to make sure that the Dodgers dynastic run isn't just this period, that it extends to the future core.
Speaker 3: And how do you do that.
Speaker 1: You sign players and you develop them within your system.
Speaker 3: You cannot you can go out and buy players.
Speaker 1: We've seen the Dodgers do this obviously, But the reason that they are able to stay so consistently dominant is because of their homegrown talent, drafting and developing Andrew Gridman comes from the Tampa Bay Rays.
Speaker 3: They are great at this.
Speaker 1: So how do you do that You draft well and you develop well. For the Dodgers if you're already getting limited amounts of opportunity to draft, that means you really need to capitalize.
Speaker 3: On your player development system. You see where they are right now with their prospects. We talked about this earlier in the show or show earlier.
Speaker 1: I wonder is it possible for the Dodgers to maybe we allocate some resources after the draft and bulk up their farm system via some trades.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and this this leads back to what we were talking about anyways, before we get that far.
Speaker 5: Alana, this field now, I just you.
Speaker 2: Need I think we do we need to nail this? Do we need to nail this draft? If you will. I feel like, sometimes, you know, we get so caught up in the fact that this team is so damn good every single year, and we take for granted how good our farm system is and how deep this farm system is, you know. But in order for it to be that way, they have to do really well in the draft. And it's not necessarily as exposed because the Dodgers are good every single year, but sometimes a draft will make or break a team for many years to come. So in your opinion, Clint, is this one of those years that is more important perhaps than recent years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean when you consider the last couple of years, the fact that you lost first round picks, signing Show Hey, signing Kyle Tucker.
Speaker 5: For this year, signing Edwin Diaz.
Speaker 4: You know, like Katie said, they don't pick until the fortieth and you only have what is it, six picks in the first ten rounds.
Speaker 5: Now, they have been very good at it in the past.
Speaker 4: Last year developed or sorry, they signed Zach Rout and Charles Davelon. Both of these guys are in the top thirty already in the organization. The year before that, Kellen Lindsay, Chase Harlan, guys that are a couple of infield dudes that they're still very young, they're still far away, but they are in the top thirty in most of the you know, prospects like top thirty organizational Prospects list where you're looking at Baseball America, whether you're looking at MLB pipeline, these are guys that could help the club on the field, could help the club in trades in some way, shape or form. But you know, this felt to me like a good opportunity though, to revisit what we talked about last week, because there have been some doubters about whether or not the Dodgers will actually be interested in what Katie reported a week ago or a wee can change go about ten days ago that the Dodgers' primary focus is going to be improving the depth at the farm level. Yeah, this is at the trade deadline, by the way. Yeah, is it sexy to look to add, you know, minor leaguers instead of Terrek Schooble. Absolutely not, because you want to maximize your ability to compete and win this year. Dodgers trading some minor league dudes to replenish different areas of the minor league system, of the farm system does not necessarily preclude them from going out and pursuing Arrek Schooble.
Speaker 5: They are not one or the other. They have so much talent to be able to do this.
Speaker 4: But Katie, I want to make sure people we might have glossed over this a little bit the last time we were talking about this. The primary focus isn't on the major league roster. According to people you have talked to with the organization. Of course, granted the condition of anonymity, they are.
Speaker 5: Ready to trade some of these top guys that we know.
Speaker 4: Maybe not your Root and Davelons, Lindsay's and Harlan's, and maybe not your Depaula's, but maybe Mike Sirota. This futures game is a spotlight for him to get something.
Speaker 2: Maybe he is he auditioning kid, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't want to speculate over certain guys, but I think it's definitely fair to look at the Dodgers system and look at this group of outfielders that we've talked about all season long about.
Speaker 3: Where the heck are they going to play?
Speaker 1: Well? This is an opportunity to go out and again it's not sexy, but like take from an area of abundance and address an area of need. The Dodgers have one of the best farm systems in baseball because of their outfield prospects.
Speaker 3: If you take away some of those.
Speaker 1: They're pretty thin in catching depth. They're relatively thin in the infield, and you can always use more starting pitching, especially in the upper tiers of their minor league system.
Speaker 3: There aren't a lot of guys healthy right now.
Speaker 1: So can the Dodgers move one of their top outfield prospects. Again, They're not going to do that to Depaula they really like I can. They kind of compare him to the best hit tool since the guy named Corey Seeger.
Speaker 3: Perhaps you've heard of him, so Hi pri is there.
Speaker 1: But can you move some of these guys in the lower first tier or upper second tier to replenish your farm system?
Speaker 3: You absolutely can.
Speaker 1: Again, is it going to be like the sexiest move or breaking, you know, blockbuster trade? No, but these trades are important. You look at the Hunter Producia trade last year. Got that catching depth that you needed from from Ben Rochelle in the in the playoffs, you needed that Dalton rushing.
Speaker 3: Maybe wasn't ready for that.
Speaker 1: So those trades matter just as much when you're looking to build a contending team and take it to.
Speaker 3: The next level.
Speaker 1: This doesn't preclude them from doing other things, right. I don't see them as all in for Terek school right now.
Speaker 3: But God forbid any of those four starters, whether it's Stellar Glass now.
Speaker 1: And rehab or yam a Motor a Tani, anyone goes down that's going to switch their thinking immediately. This is what cracks me up about the deadline, and I know I contribute to it as a media member. It's July ninth, the deadline is August third. You look across the board to every team, essentially not the Dodgers, the entire American League. Everyone's kind of right in the middle. So we don't even know who the buyers and sellers are. We don't even know if the Tigers are going to trade Schooble. They're a week away from getting hot and being right back in that very average ale central so we can speculate this and about who the Schooble contenders are, who the sellers, who the buyers are. We don't really know for sure, and we probably won't know until that last week before the August or deadline. The Dodgers are smart for looking at their minor league system and the abundance of outfoild prospects that they have and saying, hey, we can actually drive the market on this one.
Speaker 3: Let's see what could be out there. Again, it doesn't mean it's.
Speaker 1: The only thing they're going to do, and it doesn't propood them from doing anything else.
Speaker 5: And it's crazy.
Speaker 4: Obviously we have it on the screen there, just looking at the muddy al wild card picture. That's definitely going to be a driving force in what either makes.
Speaker 5: Or breaks a Terrek Schooble deal.
Speaker 4: But Scooble aside, again, I think the Dodgers will be involved in the way that Dodgers are involved in anybody and everybody.
Speaker 5: We talked about it last week.
Speaker 4: Obviously it comes down to the health of the guys they have on whether or not they're going to heavily pursue him. But right now with where this like going back to what I started with this about this being such an important month, kind of a moving month for the organization. It's not just this year, it is three years from now, it is five years from now.
Speaker 5: Because the only reason they.
Speaker 4: Have built the success thirteen were going to be winning thirteen division crowns over the last fourteen years.
Speaker 5: I think the numbers are.
Speaker 4: They have a lot of success because they have built from within the You know, Andrew Friedman and company were handed a pretty stocked organization with the aforementioned Corey Seeger Cody Bellinger in there. You know, one of their first draft picks was Walker Buehler still had Kershaw around and you're able to build from within while supplementing with money around and all that kind of stuff, and you built a quality ball club that could could tend for World Series titles. The last couple of year, they have built quality ball clubs using a lot of money.
Speaker 5: To win World Series titles.
Speaker 4: And like Alta always tells you, you don't necessarily guarantee yourself winning by spending a lot of money. But when the Dodgers spent a lot of money, they one hundred percent. So far they are two for two in winning. But the Dodgers are good now. They need to be good for five years from now. We know the roster is aging. Max Muntzy only has a couple more years at most of being the everyday third baseman. You don't know what the future is going to look like for Freddie Freeman and all that kind of stuff, and the CBA situation can know like that going to effect how the Dodgers can operate moving forward. So right now, you try to stock this organization. You try to have as much talent, using the talent you have that you don't necessarily.
Speaker 5: Need at the big league level. Immediately, you use.
Speaker 4: That talent to fill out where you are thin catcher in the infield. Pitching is thinner than it has been in a long time for this organization. So it's not sexy at all, but it is what they have done. And over the last fifteen years of running this team, they have always found a way to do the little things to build the organization where we don't see them become I don't know, Yankees had some lean years.
Speaker 5: The Angels have had to lean twenty years.
Speaker 4: You know, It's like the Dodgers will never do that because of how much they are always thinking ahead.
Speaker 5: And this is a think ahead deadline and.
Speaker 1: Month, Katie, Yeah, And I think a good way to wrap this up, Quent and I all fantastic points is when you are the Dodgers and you want to make sure this dynasty does not flame out, because that is Andrew Freeman and Brandon Goms's biggest biggest concern when they're looking at building their roster for the future is making sure that they can continue to bring winning baseball to Dodger Stadium. It's replenishing your farm system. And we talked about you know.
Speaker 3: They forfeited a lot of picks in the draft.
Speaker 1: They also have you know, plenty of penalties on the International Bonus School. They've taken multiple hits for their tash light to penalties sacrifice most of their twenty twenty four class when they signed Roki Sasaki. So if you are looking to augment your farm system and bulk up areas that you're thin at, really the most efficient and kind of only way they can do that right now. I wouldn't say only, but the most likely way they can do this right now is through the trade market. So that's why you're hearing them kind of again, It's not like this is the only thing they're going to do, but this is a big focus and a big priority for them because they know and they are so good at this that you have to replenish your farm system, you have to have homegrown, developed players. They're not going to be able to reboot their.
Speaker 3: Entire catching system. They're going to have to go trade for it.
Speaker 1: They have an abundance of outfielders, all very talented, all with different ceiling levels that are all very high. You can't play nine outfielders in three spots. You take a risk, right, You take a risk and dealing one of these guys away like you did with Michael Bush, like you did with Gavin Luck, so he wasn't a prospect at the time to address an area of need. The Dodgers are suited well to do this, and they could take advantage of the market.
Speaker 3: I would not be surprised it.
Speaker 1: All if this is the direction that they go, even depending on what their major league roster looks like.
Speaker 3: Comme August third. One of the few things.
Speaker 4: I was going to say an important factor because ri Is, I want to hear from you on this because you were there at the start of this run of success, even before Andrew Friedman and company took over, and you saw how good the team or the state the team was in. Then Friedman takes over his front office starts doing what they do, which is very good, and you got to live up to including getting a ring in twenty You got to live through them spending money but also building this farm system to make a sustainable model that other organizations are still trying.
Speaker 5: To emulate, and they can't. They can look at the fucking Mets. They can't.
Speaker 2: That's the thing too, I mean, that's the one thing that I've noticed. When I started covering this team in twenty fourteen, the same conversation was happening over and over and over again. When you talk to executives from other organizations, when you talk to the media that covered different organizations, the Dodgers have a rare ability to be able to churn out an unbelievably productive and competitive ball club every single season, but it doesn't deplete their farm system. And there are very few teams in our league that can win while consistently developing, and I think the Dodgers are so good at that. I mean, Andrew Freeman is one of the best in my opinion, about getting the big piece that you need at the trade deadline or getting the supplemental complimentary pieces at the deadline or in the off season, and he doesn't give away the Dodgers' logo. I mean, I remember when in a different sport entirely, but I remember when Josh McDaniel was in Denver as the head coach and you basically traded everything, including the Denver Broncos low go for Tim Tebow and we're like, what are we doing? But I feel like the Dodgers are one of those teams that can compete every single year at the highest level with still not depleting a farm system that is going to be their future. And there's not a lot of teams that can do that. A lot of teams try to emulate it. Some of it is the capital issue, some of it is just not the brain power. I mean, you're saying Andrew Friedman, he's going to do Andrew Friedman things. And he took a small market mentality for a Tampa Bay Race team that for whatever reason is competitive. Every single year. They're first in the division in the Al East, and that is a division that had, you know, some big name and big market money teams, and they win every single year. Now, the knock on them is that they don't get deep into the postseason. They did obviously in twenty twenty, and thank god for Kevin Cash taking Blake Snell out of the game, because I don't know that the Dodgers would have won that series. But the point is the Dodgers are really good at doing both things well and it's an enviable position to be in. And I have seen that SIXSS. I've never covered a bad Dodgers team, and that I feel very grateful for that. I've never covered I started in twenty fourteen that Colletti was still the you know, the general manager at the time. Obviously Stan Casten was there, and then in two thousand and six seen this whole new regime came in and Ned stayed on for a couple of years and then obviously went to the broadcast side. But he's a great baseball mind, and a lot of this is the Ned Kaletti architecture, and a lot of this obviously is the Andrew Friedman architecture. And it's just a really fortunate position to be in that the Dodgers can do both at such a high level.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, and it's important to note and kind of my final thoughts on this the last two years that we have had as Dodgers fans, that's never the norm. That's never was the plan to be the norm spending all of this money. What we saw before was the plan. You build around your farm system, you supplement a few guys in there. When they traded for Mooki, that was kind of it was kind of supposed to be the plan, but then it became painfully apparent, Oh shit, we don't have enough starting pitching. So they went and signed everybody up.
Speaker 5: In the world, and well not really everybody.
Speaker 4: But getting Yamamoto trading for Glass Now it opened up ushered in this new era of spending money.
Speaker 5: But that is never the goal.
Speaker 4: And Andrew Friedman has been telling us this for at least the last five years, that you know, we can't. You don't react, you you you work within your means, you don't really chase the market.
Speaker 2: Well, he's not an emotional guy. He doesn't make decisions based on emotion. And I think there's some owners, there's some front office people that that do it based on emotion. We just had this conversation on foul Territory about whether or not Don Mattingley is going to have the interim tag removed and become the Philadelphia Phillies manager next season. And Dave Dombrowski's that way. He's not an emotional guy. So if he sees that Alex Correr or somebody else is going to be better, it's not going to matter how far Don Mattingley takes this Phillies team. So, and I think that's how you have to be. I think you need to be really steady.
Speaker 4: Eddy.
Speaker 2: You can't follow the trends because then you're going to get yourself into trouble. It's like whatever the hot new shiny toy is that can't be what you're going after all the time.
Speaker 5: I would be bad at it. I think it would be bad as it.
Speaker 3: Very decision not rooted on emotion.
Speaker 5: Oh are we we? You expect us to be not normal.
Speaker 3: Rational about something?
Speaker 5: No way, hell no.
Speaker 4: But hopefully you guys enjoyed the conversation. I think this is useful for people.
Speaker 5: Who maybe don't kind of understand where this organization is at right now.
Speaker 4: And you know, even last year trading away Dustin May, people who have scratched their head from that, it brought them a couple of very important you know, draft pieces or prospect pieces that they could move or you know.
Speaker 2: Not and not for nothing, not for nothing. It was good for Dustin May too. I mean he was in a free agent year, you know what I mean, and he didn't do well when he was traded over to the Boston Red Sox. But now he's kind of found a way and found a new a new gear, if you will, with the Saint Louis Cardinals. So we do have a four ninety nine super check, Clint, I want to bring that up before I went to last Li's ear loves Baseball four ninety nine flip and lour for prospects at the is peek Friedman in white bathrobe. That's a whole other conversation. What's River Ryan's injury status? Katie needs to pitch down the stretch First.
Speaker 3: Of all, great call on Lawer.
Speaker 1: I was going to bring this up to wrap up the segment. This seems like exactly like the kind of trade they could do. Actually, Ken Rosenthal wrote about this in The Athletic a couple of days ago, where he's saying, you know, the Dodgers flip dust in May. Starting pitching is always the most coveted thing at the deadline because it is so rare, and the Dodgers once again have it's thinner than than years prior, but they have enough starting pitching where they can go out and trade lower will be a free agent at the end of the year. Teams love to take a two month flyer on a durable starter, especially those fringe contenders, and there are plenty of fringe contenders this year based on the standings, so I could totally see Andrew Freeman doing that again with Eric Lawer, and he's been very underrated for this Dodgers squad in the first half.
Speaker 3: We've talked about this.
Speaker 1: They don't have a six man rotation that they desperately need without him, and.
Speaker 3: He's been serviceable.
Speaker 1: Feel like it's a quality start every single time.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's fourth.
Speaker 1: Straight earlier in the week, So you flip Eric Lower a guy that's done his job but probably doesn't have a role in the postseason. I don't see him fitting into that bullpen. Get some prospects back. Everybody's happy. River Ryan haven't heard much, which is disappointing since he went down with that hamstring.
Speaker 3: He is still able to throw.
Speaker 1: I think he's still in Arizona, but I'm not sure about that exactly. So he's not shut down completely. He was just isn't throwing. He's on flat ground, so there is going to be some sort of a ramp up. But this is someone that the Dodger is really I think he was getting close to being into that major league rotation than can be him a spot start and someone that the Dodgers front office looks as a real legitimate weapon in the bullpen come October if he can stay healthy. And that's been the unfortunate deal with River Ryan is there has just been a difficulty to stay healthy. This is already his second hamstring problem of the season as he comes back from Tommy John.
Speaker 3: So that's certainly someone that they're.
Speaker 1: Going to be watching, but they can't count on just yet until he heals. Imagine though, a postseason bullpen that has Roki Sasaki, the good Rokie, Emma Shean, Justinus and River Ryan and you get Edwin Diaz back. He'll start to rehabssignment soon. You're feeling really good about it. It's another reason why Eric Flower seems to be a possible trade candidate.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be a real busy deadline internally for the Dodgers.
Speaker 5: People love to say it.
Speaker 4: And also with River Ryan and somebody get that boy some water maybe like aa banana? Yeah, like banana. No cramp, Yeah, no cramp with banana. Good conversation here, guys. Alana's going to tell you about fan Duel and then we'll be back with the dog and we gotta give some love to Marcus Lynn Betts.
Speaker 5: Dodgers legend will be right back.
Speaker 2: This episode is brought to you by Fan Duel Baseball Fans. The MLB season is in full swing and Fan Duel is giving you a chance to call your shot with Daily Dingers Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why fan duel is the home of home runs. So are you ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com Slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com Slash podcast. To opt in for daily dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer. Playball and swing for the fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball. No purchase necessary, opt in required. Bonus issued as non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem call or text one eight hundred gambler Guys desperately need your help. Scotty really really needs a new foster. He's currently with a foster in Huntington Beach, California, but they're an elderly couple and he's just a lot of pup I mean, they can't really walk him just because he's so strong. He's not a bad dog, he's just strong, and they're not able to do it physically. So we're desperately looking for a foster in the southern California area, and better yet, an adopter. He's a good dog, he's healthy, he's good with other dogs. He's just active, that is all. If you're interested in learning more about just being a foster, there is no cost to you as a foster at all. You just need to give him a space, loving, a safe, loving space. So reach out. We'd appreciate it very much. All right, Baseball thought for the road. This is a great stat. I didn't even know this until I looked at our rundown. Thanks Clint. Mooki's next game played will be his seven hundred and ninety fifth in a Dodger uniform, one more than he played with the Red Sox. What is his legacy up to this point, Katie? He has six years left on this contract. Wow, that's amazing to think there was a moment in which we didn't know that Mooki bets we were ever going to see him in a Dodger's uniform because he came over and then Covid hit, and then they extended him, and here we are.
Speaker 3: He's a Dodger.
Speaker 1: He's a Dodger, And I think I grew up in college and like Mookie Bets was the face of Boston, but he's one of the faces of Los Angeles. And when you come out here and you win as many World Series as Mookie Bets has and he performed the way that he has, I don't we have the same conversation with Freddy. I couldn't have imagined Fredy Freeman being anything and Atlanta brave, and now I can't imagine being anything but a Dodger.
Speaker 3: Same with otani An Angel. No, he's a Dodger.
Speaker 1: So I think that's what happens when you win, right, when you win with a team, that's the team you represent. Mooki Bets has done so much for the Dodgers organization. They just toasted a very belated to a three hundredth career Homer him in.
Speaker 3: Show Hey Yesterday. I think that happened.
Speaker 1: All my days are the same guys. But yeah, Mookie Bets, he's a Dodger.
Speaker 3: He's a good one. End of story.
Speaker 4: And to me, this is in a lot of that we don't need to spend too much time on this, but really the Mooki trade is the like serious transition point to oh, okay, we mean business. Yes, they made the World Series in twenty seventeen with a mostly built from within neo squad. Twenty eighteen had no business being there, but they power of will brought them there. But in twenty twenty it was a very good baseball team. Yeah, they we didn't get to see a lot of it over the course of sixty regular season games.
Speaker 5: But the Mooki trade kind of I don't know.
Speaker 4: It's like you've seen that meme where that somebody like the graphic is somebody sitting in a chair playing a game, and then they leaned forward.
Speaker 5: That was the Dodgers leaning forward. We mean business.
Speaker 4: Now we just traded for Mooky Bets, Boston icon and the dude he has become the man, the father, the leader, the three time World Series champion with the Dodgers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is he is a Dodger that I mean.
Speaker 2: I'll look at it from the other perspective too. It was a name that you're like, wow, we got Mooky Bets. But from the other side of the equation, the Red Sox have not been the same since the Red Sox have absolutely been horrific by and large since they traded away Mooky Bets and I live here now in this area, and of course always talking about the Dodgers here, but they bring it up constantly, and you still see all kinds of Mooky jerseys at the games, and people are really really upset set that they would do that. I don't want to be the guy that traded away Mookie Bets, I'll tell you that. And that was such a wild thing that the Red Sox did, and they have not recovered and they're reeling right now. So Mooki Bets is very much a Dodger, and he did say he'd liked playing here, but I think he just feels so much more at home in LA. He's so involved in all kinds of things there. I mean, he's very multi talented, multifaceted, doing a podcast, doing all kinds of things. You see him super involved in a lot of different business ventures and in the community. He's a four time World Series champion, perhaps six more years on this deal, perhaps a Hall of Famer. We can talk about that conversation at another date. But Mooki's La, right, LA is Mookie and good for him. That what a great stat love love the fact that he's going to obviously play the majority of his games as a Dodger.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he I'm Bloom. That's Katie's friend. Heinm bloom to.
Speaker 3: A good star in Saint Louis. Yeah, all right, Let's let's see where it goes. Let's see how that deadline goes.
Speaker 4: Until they trade away like Nolan Gorman and what's the kid Win's name, Mason Winn and all that trade out way.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know that.
Speaker 2: I mean, if he's gonna just don't trade away fred Bird and you'll be fine.
Speaker 3: They can trade away fred Bird. Way cuter mascots out there there. And plus he doesn't wear pants. It kind of freaks me out.
Speaker 5: Listen, what's wrong with that?
Speaker 4: You gotta Winnie Pool, I'm not wearing pants? No, whoa waiting the poo that shit?
Speaker 5: Guys.
Speaker 4: We we appreciate you hanging out with us.
Speaker 5: Music is on. Don't worry, we're getting the hell out of here.
Speaker 4: Appreciate you guys hanging out with us on this Thursday edition of the show will be back on Monday. It'll be a little bit different because those two will be at the All Star game, but lots of Dodgers content to be coming up coming your way.
Speaker 5: Subscribe to the channel if you wouldn't mind, we'd appreciate it. Help us get to.
Speaker 4: Twenty thousand subscribers. And that's about it. We'll see in the next one.
Speaker 5: Bye.