Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Final Hour.
Speaker 2: In this Thursday, it's a meet Thursday. The Tragger folks are outside Chad and Julie.
Speaker 3: I just went out.
Speaker 2: I'm the Inspector General, so I went to see. Chad said that he got a whole gator and he put it on the tragger. So I went out to see and there's a whole gator that's on the tragger. We've got alligator bites, catfish, shrimp, red beans and rice, gumbo, jumbalaya, Cajun corn. We also have poe boys and Hurricanes cocktails, all of that made on the Tragger girls. So that'll be coming.
Speaker 3: Oh no, oh no, no, who is.
Speaker 2: It better than we do? No, no, come on, we do this all the time. We did this with Jim Harbaugh yesterday.
Speaker 4: But what was love like? Dan? I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: You never really answered that question.
Speaker 5: Uh No.
Speaker 2: Last night A shout out to Tippatina's hosting myself and Dan Lebuitard. We had an evening with the audience last night and again they did a wonderful job. Thirty seven years ago, I went to that venue after a long bike trip from Atlanta to New Orleans. My wife had this idea of Spanish moss, southern you know, gentlemen and cocktails on the veranda, and there'd beautiful mansions there and we would have fun, won't we. Then Yeah, I'll do it. I was in love. I mean, I'm still in love.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'll do it. Sounds like the era that she's a nice name, that broad is classy. I didn't train because I thought, you know, I can do this. I can get on a bike. If she can, well, wow, that is not it.
Speaker 3: Well an athlete.
Speaker 2: I got an athlete, but she is somebody who's an avid cyclist. So uh, six days, five undred miles and if you do the math at one point in Birmingham, I believe we could cut off twenty four miles if we took a short cut on the highway. And I said to my wife, I said, hun, yeah, I'm going. Are you coming with me?
Speaker 5: Is that legal? No?
Speaker 2: No, I can't ride a bike on a highway. I had semis going by. No, No, they didn't, they didn't. I wasn't at the mothership. Then oh ok, yeah, but my wife had this idea that this would be great. I remember stopping in Shorter, Alabama and the reason why I remember it was Prom night. Well, as you can imagine it was. It was busy and noisy on the other rooms that were on opposite sides of our room. We're trying to get sleep so we can get up early to get on the road, and all of a sudden Prom led out and Prom came in.
Speaker 7: Yes, Paulie Shorter, Alabama, population three hundred and seventy four.
Speaker 2: Well, they were all there that night at the hotel. But we did see some Spanish moss. Then I was in Mississippi. I remember that we were riding and all of a sudden, a pit bull is chasing out of the house and there's a white picket fence and I'm going, thank god, there's a white picket fence there. Well, it didn't go all the way around the yard. So the pit bull came out to the side and is right by my ankle. So if I pedaled one more time, he was going he was gonna get me. So my wife goes, get your bike pump and hold it so I'm ready to, you know, smack this dog because he's going to take my leg. We got down about ten more feet and he just did a quick U turn and like he knew where he was allowed to go and went back. But other than that, you know, it was a trip that tested my marriage a little bit there, but we survived and we were a Tippatina's life last night to reunite, because that's what love is.
Speaker 3: Yes, Marvin, you loved her at that moment?
Speaker 4: Did you like her at that moment?
Speaker 3: I did not.
Speaker 2: I did not talk to her every afternoon. In the morning, I was chatty, and then in the afternoon I put two bags of ice on each knee and I just sat there and we didn't talk the entire afternoon every single day, and then we would get to our destination, I'd get a beer. I chatty as can be. Couldn't wait to tackle tomorrow.
Speaker 6: Yes see, not until every ice cube has melted. Oh well, I say another word. Did you notice a big difference thirty seven years later in Tippotina's.
Speaker 3: Not much?
Speaker 6: Yeah. I think it's probably almost exactly the same, Which is the charm of the place.
Speaker 3: A legendary venue.
Speaker 2: Now it's outside of the French Quarter and the would that be the Upper Garden District awesome spot, Yes, But I remember going there and we saw the radiators and I just remember everything tasted good. We had oysters in the morning, we had oysters at lunch, and we had oysters for dinner. When we got to New Orleans and I was like, and my wife goes, you know I could live here. I said, well, I'm not riding the bike back here, just saying huney. We packed up the bikes and then we took the train back.
Speaker 7: Yes, Pom, it does look like a setting from a movie about a blues band or something like that that you would use tippotinas. I saw a picture on the wall and I looked at the picture. I looked a little closer. It was Harry Connick Junior performing at age sixteen, and the place was packed. He's up there, didn't look like even shaves yet, and he was playing in front of a big crowd.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and wonderful venue. But they hosted myself and Dan Lebutard last night. Everybody was there. Everybody except everybody except for Todd. Everybody backroom, guys, Dan etch, if I gave you do over, would you have shown up.
Speaker 8: I'd have to stick to my guns. Why would all of a sudden now gun big guilt trip? Okay, all right, I took a political stand.
Speaker 4: And if you stand, I told you, like a week or two ago.
Speaker 8: I'm you know, for various reasons, I'm probably not gonna.
Speaker 4: Be all right.
Speaker 3: I stuck by that, all right, respect that.
Speaker 8: And it was not against you at all. And it wasn't not you know, being there to support you or had nothing to do with I mean.
Speaker 3: I didn't realize you were this political, but sometimes I'm.
Speaker 8: Always wishing wasn't on the fence. I had to prove to you guys that you know, I'm gonna.
Speaker 3: Are you on handity tonight. You're gonna I have some things to say.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I don't know if I can't respect it.
Speaker 2: Oh oh wow, here we go.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean, if you if you're going to talk about it but not talk about it, then you're not really doing anything. He keeps bringing up that he stayed out for some type of protest but won't say what he's protesting, then stop bringing it up.
Speaker 8: Well, I'm trying to say that it wasn't for reasons like that. It wasn't not supporting you or anything like that. That's that wasn't my intention all.
Speaker 5: That doesn't clarify things.
Speaker 9: I think we've taken enough.
Speaker 8: Shots and we've covered that topic, but I don't unless you want to belabored, and we want.
Speaker 6: To what topic are you talking about? What do you have against Tippatinas that you won't step foot in.
Speaker 3: That, or me or my wife or.
Speaker 6: Love you know, the the if we're going down the political route. But you know great, oh boy, I'm gonna go conspiracy theorists. I think that this is all just a ruse so Todd can make sure the whole show is about him today.
Speaker 2: Wow, by the way, we did show the first match of pickleball.
Speaker 6: Oh, because he's not getting enough.
Speaker 2: Okay, Now, you did a great job playing pickleball. You and Seaton dominated last night at the no Then you stayed in the hotel talking to perfect strangers instead of joining us. And the celebration of life, I think is what we read.
Speaker 3: Yes, it was.
Speaker 6: You know, it's funny too. Last night, like everybody that had I met last night, they were like, oh, hey, the other guy said you didn't come, and I was like me, what are you talking about. I've been here for like an hour and a half and there I got here before the thing even so, oh no, the other guy said that you didn't show up. The worst time. I'm like, he didn't show up.
Speaker 2: I'm here, Oh, took a political stance against uh, you know, Dan Levotard show apparently, and.
Speaker 4: Say that I just had a political stance. It could be about.
Speaker 2: Anything, or it could be about somebody with the Dan Levotard Show.
Speaker 8: Be about tariffs, the Middle East, things going on in the wariffs, tariffs, so other.
Speaker 3: That was your protest was.
Speaker 8: I didn't know where you guys stood on Canada as a fifty first state.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I'm not gonna take my chance something my hotel.
Speaker 4: I don't know where these guys are.
Speaker 6: You guys have mess titles across the street the whole time fist.
Speaker 3: Though, oh oh, there was a one person protest across Todd.
Speaker 4: I didn't know. I was watching in a little circle during like the whole time.
Speaker 3: Did you say no tariffs?
Speaker 5: I said no tars and no to Dan and Dan on.
Speaker 2: Today, no talent a message sent the states are enough, don it?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 5: Hey, Dan and Dan have gone to go?
Speaker 6: Hey hey hey, that's what he was chanting back there, marching by himself.
Speaker 3: I'm looking for well.
Speaker 2: The Warriors acquired Jimmy Butler, Pelicans traded brandon Ingram well, you say goodbye to Brandon Ingram.
Speaker 3: He went to the Raptors. That's not good. They're not a good team.
Speaker 4: It's a great city, though.
Speaker 3: It's a great city.
Speaker 4: Great city.
Speaker 2: Yeah, didn't we go up there for Sandler movie Pixel Pixels.
Speaker 3: We had a great time. Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: In Toronto, Lakers traded Dalton connect to Charlotte for Mark Williams, who is a very young center. So twenty three year old for a twenty three year old, how much younger have the Lakers gotten?
Speaker 3: You still have Lebron who's forty.
Speaker 2: But I think the Lakers were the oldest team in the NBA if I have a d in there as well?
Speaker 3: Are they did? They get in the top ten of youngest.
Speaker 5: Teams before the trades of this week.
Speaker 7: They were one of the three oldest teams in the NBA, around twenty eight years old, the Sixers, the Sons and the Lakers. Because of Lebron, he keeps them up in the all that's right the sun. Yeah, but like now that the bad Luca and Mark Williams, they're gonna dip a bit.
Speaker 2: Okay, wise, all right, NFL to play in Australia. One of the teams will be the Rams.
Speaker 3: We don't know.
Speaker 2: The other one, the NFL Players Association says they're against the eighteen game season, which I did laugh When Paul says, you know, the NFL Player Association said they don't want eighteen games, I said, okay, yeah, I would guarantee that that if it's going to happen.
Speaker 3: Pie to the face.
Speaker 2: I mean, they argue with that with seventeen on. It is his posturing it's.
Speaker 4: Seventeen is enough? Guys.
Speaker 2: Yes, we're going to draw the line somewhere. All they're going to do is pass on more money.
Speaker 3: That's all this is.
Speaker 2: But the NFL Player Association, and I met with somebody who is involved in this is that Tuesday night, and he told me that Player Association right now is kind of in a state of flux there and try to, you know, get everybody to understand, you know, what are goal here? What can we get out of eighteen game schedule? You know those kind of things.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Paul, if you were the Players Association and you want an NFL wants to go to eighteen games, of course you're gonna ask for a more salary or a piece of the pie. Would you ask for more jobs? Expand the rosters. Yes, two or three spots. Yes, it seems obvious, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: By the way, a couple of things. Shay gilgis Alexander. He scored fifty, So he scored fifty or more three times in a seven game span. He's gonna win the MVP. Let's see Anthony Edwards had forty nine for the Timberwolves, Darren Fox had a wonderful debut with the Spurs. And let's see anything else that needs to be mentioned. Here's something and I don't know. For entertainment purposes, I'm doing the gambling podcast after the show with Shay and Irving, also Dylan the Graphics Guy and bad Lairing. Patrick Mahomes is seven to zero in the postseason when facing top five scoring defenses. He has seventeen total touchdown it's fifteen passing, two rushing, and he has four turnovers, three interceptions, one fumble. The Eagles have the number one scoring defense in the NFL. Mahomes It's seven to zero is tied with Bart Starr for the best postseason record against top five scoring defenses.
Speaker 4: Something's got a.
Speaker 6: Cute stand of a day stand of a day stand out, A day stand.
Speaker 3: Out of a day.
Speaker 5: This is the Stele of the day.
Speaker 3: Us for somebody who didn't show up last night with the team.
Speaker 9: I was a little free.
Speaker 8: I was a little too free with the stepping on the music.
Speaker 2: Then, yeah, you know, i'd probably i'd like shut it down for the rest.
Speaker 3: Of this altums. Oh wow, Yeah, probably just shut it down a little bit.
Speaker 2: By the way, we'll play the second match. We'll bring that to you tomorrow. The dramatic second match pickleball with Todd and Seaton. They took the first match comfortably and it did look like Marvin had never picked up a paddle before, and it looked like you were swanning flies.
Speaker 3: And you know, I'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna I'll have grades for you. And you know, somebody who's undefeated in my pickleball career, you know, I am want to know. I think I'm probably an expert in being able to assess where If you're watching on Peacock right now, thank you for downloading that.
Speaker 3: You can watch some of this on display. Uh.
Speaker 2: You guys look like pickleball players. That was the most important thing for Paulie.
Speaker 7: I like that I look like I could play with the shoes they gave us and the wristbands. Like if I walked in, You're like, oh, that guy seems like a B player And I was stunk.
Speaker 3: Todd, So far you were great.
Speaker 2: I mean that high school tennis career that you've kind of, you know, lived off of over the years.
Speaker 8: Have the typical body of a pickleball or same shape as the like a butterbean.
Speaker 4: Ash playing pickleball. It's just kind of weird that I would be able to even hit.
Speaker 2: You were nimble that, you know. I never thought that I would say you were the best athlete on the court. Now Seton is an athlete. Seton knows what he's doing. Marvin, I thought was an athlete, and I realized you're not when it comes to pickleball.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm an athlete. I'm not a pickleball player.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But you know what, I'm happy. I'm happy this was a team effort.
Speaker 3: Oh m hm. So you and Paulie were both terrible, Okay?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And And if you said, if you're going to press me on who was worse between you two, you.
Speaker 5: Could say me because I could take it.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think that's a toss up as well.
Speaker 5: I'm aware I was terrible.
Speaker 4: Wow, oh I did.
Speaker 10: I say it was good, But you guys are like, man, you were by far the worst.
Speaker 3: I was like you.
Speaker 6: That up to where it was like, man, Marvin was really a Paul held his own, but Marvin was terrible.
Speaker 3: I never thought that.
Speaker 2: I was going like I thought, Okay, Todd and Seaton, that's a good matchup with, you know, PAULI and you least valuable pickleball player the l VB. Okay, I'm leaning towards you, Marvin, because I expected more out of you. I knew why because I see you on the basketball floor. You tell me you used to be really really really fast. You played football like you're.
Speaker 4: Like, what's that got to do with pickleball?
Speaker 10: Though, I'm kind of flabbergasted that You're like, how come you weren't the best pickleball player out there?
Speaker 2: You couldn't even move around? You weren't Todd had more athleticism than you? Yes, yes, all right, you don't think Todd had more athletics.
Speaker 10: The best player on the floor was he, bar none, It was him and three other guys.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm gonna I'm gonna say, just because I expected more out of you, that you were the least valuable.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's.
Speaker 3: I don't know what the award is that I give you, Yes.
Speaker 7: But he is a leading candidate to be most Improved pickleball Player next year.
Speaker 2: Well, next match, we got, you know, one more match to come up with. Let's not ruin the conclusion awards. Yes, yes, like a jar of sour pickles? Is that what the least valuable pickleball player were got? It sounds like that's something that might get like one of.
Speaker 3: Those Fuck we were gonna shut it down.
Speaker 4: When it was a little let's make a deal, you're.
Speaker 3: Gonna shut it down.
Speaker 2: He did a great job with the guest list today. Thanks did. All right, we'll take a break. Mark Sanchez will join us.
Speaker 6: Funny how it works out that it's just quarterbacks today.
Speaker 2: Well we had quarterbacks with Heisman's Mark and then we have Mark. Yeah, it's all quarterbacks. Yeah, quarterback Thursday. All right, how about we take a break. All right, let's regroup, Come on, let's go. Who guys are better than we do?
Speaker 3: No? No, no, wow, all right, we're back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports radio dot com. And within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 11: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 3: I mean that says something, right, So check us.
Speaker 11: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planet Earth. Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich Live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcast and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Stat of the Day is always brought you by Panini America. The official trading cards to the Dan Patrick Show. Gift bags for all of our guests include items from Sonos Trager, Panini, Kingshawaiian and Rapid Radio Seating which you update the poll results here during the final hour of this program.
Speaker 4: I can.
Speaker 6: Yeah, let's just see. It's some pictures from the match, and they're really really great. Closer to a ring, Heat, Warriors, Lakers, Spurs, MAVs. Right now, MAVs have about thirty six percent of that vote. Lakers and Spurs now tied at second. Lakers are creeping up there. Warriors and Heat don't seem to be getting any love.
Speaker 2: The Lakers over Unders I think forty eight and a half, so that's that's higher than all the other teams there. The pictures from the match is that available at dan patrick dot com Seaton. At the first match in the pickleball match between front row back row.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm looking at some of these, like on our Instagram page and they're pretty great.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it's Marvin and Polly. The second match will be played displayed brought to you tomorrow. Well, they force a game three, find out tomorrow exactly. There could be some controversy, here's some drama, and I'll handout awards.
Speaker 3: Right, tod, You're gonna hand out awards.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Ton? Were you listening to what I was saying? He was Okay, what did I say?
Speaker 8: We were talking, we were recapping the pickleball match and then you're asked if it's going to be awards.
Speaker 3: Okay, eleven, Thank you?
Speaker 2: Ton Mark Sanchez, NFL and Fox Analysts, former NFL quarterback and friend of the show. And uh, I'm not sure if he brought drinks for everybody. He's got got one. I mean kinda kind of nice. If we all got stuff.
Speaker 3: Look at that.
Speaker 2: He's got a got a pencil behind his ear. He's got well you got notes here, I got my boards, you got your boards here?
Speaker 9: What if we got to call a game?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Okay, so could you call the game? If Brady sticks out? Like you could be the understudy? You could you could go in there. How long would it take? How long would it take for you to get ready?
Speaker 9: I've gone ready, like I'm gonna call it.
Speaker 2: Oh you are, well, just the practice. Okay, Oh that's cool. Are you able to go to practices?
Speaker 9: No, I didn't get a chance to do that.
Speaker 4: They didn't.
Speaker 3: They don't let everybody do that.
Speaker 9: You got to be calling the game or okay, part of the pregame show kind of all right.
Speaker 3: Do you have to be a great athlete to be a quarterback? I think so. I think it helps.
Speaker 4: Uh, And.
Speaker 9: It doesn't mean you have to be able to run like Lamar Jackson or somebody like that.
Speaker 3: But it's Jared going for great athlete.
Speaker 9: I think he's an excellent athlete.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Eli Manning a great athlete.
Speaker 9: Uh, maybe not as nimble as Jared, but still a great athlete in his own right. You know, I like my idea at least is you gotta be able to play multiple sports. Hit a baseball, shoot a free throw, you know, jump a little bit, move a little bit, and basically the size of this carpet in here. You gotta be able to work within that area short area of quickness. If you can't do that and get out of a little bit of trouble, then then it makes life tough.
Speaker 2: Okay, But if you don't have a big arm, you.
Speaker 9: Better anticipate really, Yeah, I mean, Joe Montana didn't have the strongest arm. There's plenty of guys you don't have an incredible arm, but you know when you need to put a little extra heat on it.
Speaker 3: But if I can give, if I have the quarner asking.
Speaker 9: If Fritzi can play, I'm gonna say, no.
Speaker 3: That's fairy.
Speaker 9: I heard you balled out in pig a ball I did. That's why I said that, because I was like.
Speaker 2: No, he's he's feeling picked on for some reason today.
Speaker 8: Because I feel that I didn't go to the Dan Patrick Dan Levatard.
Speaker 4: There was a big SHINDI last night.
Speaker 2: Markdn't Mark was there too, everybody, but every.
Speaker 9: The whole staff way. Then I took a standout and I'm not prepping for the game. Fritzy were prepping, were working together.
Speaker 3: Taylor Swift was there last night, Albo was there.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 3: But you know, the Mannings aren't great athletes.
Speaker 9: I disagree. I think they're athletic enough, I mean, but not great athletes in in what aspect, like you gotta be athletic.
Speaker 2: Well, they don't have great arms, they don't have escapability, they don't have quickness.
Speaker 9: You can't say he doesn't have a capability. He won a Super Bowl escaping from a tackle.
Speaker 2: Should have been in the grass, right. Should you imagine if Mahomes has a play like that in this Super Bowl that he gets.
Speaker 9: Out of done it so many times.
Speaker 2: But no, But what people are gonna say they already think that he gets every call. Imagine if that had been Mahomes or Brady doing what Eli did in that Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: It'd be this.
Speaker 9: It's like Jordan rules. Like you know, at a certain point, you get to a certain.
Speaker 3: Level, You're okay with that.
Speaker 9: Listen, it's gonna go the way it's gonna go. But they're so good.
Speaker 2: When you played against Brady, did you think Brady got calls that you wouldn't get.
Speaker 9: I know for a fact, I remember Jean's stairtur didn't I tell you this story when I yelled at Jean.
Speaker 4: This was.
Speaker 9: In the divisional game. Brady throws an early interception on a screen pass.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 9: This was the year, my second year, ten eleven playoffs.
Speaker 3: I want to say.
Speaker 9: So we go up to Foxborough. We had gotten beat like forty eight to three on Monday night. Football just got embarrassed. Rex buried the ball after the game. Then we go back up there in the playoffs. Where did he bury the football outside the facility? He dug ale outside of the facility and said, we are not talking about this game anymore unless we're doing our corrections from the film. After that, that's it. We'll see they're asking the playoffs right Like that was, you know, very rex thing to say, but I understood the psychological component. Move on, turn the page. We'll see him later on down the road. We're still a good football team. We'll cross that bridge when we get there. So we get to that bridge, and we got across it in Foxborough. Well, we're playing the game. Brady throws an early interception, got hit a couple times, like up in the head and neck area. Before that was really a thing before some of those things were as enforced as they are today. And you know, Bart Scott, Dave Harris, those guys, I mean, they're trying to just cheap shot and like, just do something to slow him down, because this guy's a machine and he'll rip your heart out if you let him. So he throws an early interception and then the very next drive, I want to say, he got so upset about a late hit and it was like a defensive back like a nickel player coming off the edge and just barely like tap him. And as we're running on the field, I want to say, it was like a fourth down or something. We're passing kind of each other and he lost it on Jane.
Speaker 4: Jane, are you kidding me?
Speaker 9: Yeah, And he just lost it on it like undressed him. And I just looked at Jane's territory. I was like, oh my god, like eviscerated the guy. I was like, dang, So like third quarter happens and I get shoved down to the ground after throwing a ball away and.
Speaker 5: I go, gane, what the was that? He looked at me.
Speaker 9: He goes, chill out.
Speaker 3: I say, you're right, You're right, My bad. I thought you're not.
Speaker 9: Tom, Yeah, exactly, but that's what he was blind like, chill out. You ain't there yet, dude. So yeah, it's you know, this is unwritten.
Speaker 3: Work. You can work the refs.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: Tom wasn't working the rep as much as he's you know, no, I.
Speaker 9: Think that was you know, there's a time to do both.
Speaker 3: But does mahomes work the refs?
Speaker 2: Thing?
Speaker 9: One of the most important things is they go introduce themselves to the quarterback. If you don't do it first pregame, you always talk to the white hat always just hey, how we doing. Get a little information. The best teams I've been on, at least Monday and Friday, they'll go through all the refs that are gonna be there. Here's what they call the most. They go through the stats of the officials. So, hey, these guys are first in the league in offensive holding. Boys, we got to be tight on our on our targets with our hands, eyes, hand placement, you know, none of the grabbing, none of the bear hugs, stuff like that. They're they're they're flag happy when it comes to holding whatever defensive illegal contact that five yard line of demarcation. We better be sharp now, hit them till five and then back off, cut them loose, let them go, you know that kind of stuff. So you have to try and find an advantage some way, somehow, And if it's a handshake, a hello, a wink, Hey good to see again. How's a fan? You do a little research on the guy. How's your wife doing? I know she you know, she just battled through something whatever. You know, Hey, man, I'm looking for every advantage I can. Like we're trying to beat the best team in the world in the New England Patriots. I'll take whatever advantage I can get. And you know, when you play up there, gosh, during that time, it was like there was there was the Tiger Woods red Polo on Sunday effect. You know you're going to play Belichick, Brady, you better be on. You can't afford to beat yourself. You can't make one mistake, you know, and that makes guys tense up. So the Chiefs are playing with that right now. They just walk out on the field. Fifteen trots out on the field and you're like, oh boy, we credit be sharp.
Speaker 2: But mahomes with the slide or go out of bounds.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that one was weak. That one was bad. Okay, I don't appreciate that.
Speaker 3: What's the Yeah to me, it was flaunting.
Speaker 9: So here here's the problem. He called himself out for the one on the sidelines where he kind of like slowed down and like flopped on the sidelines and said that was you know, that was bad ball. I shouldn't have done that. So I he gets it. I know he's aware. The one I didn't like as much as I'm for protecting the quarterback don't get me wrong. But the one I didn't like is if you're gonna run around in you know, a five yard box area outside the tackle box, five yards down the field and then at the end just fall down and like try and give yourself up slide. That one's like impossible because now you've got guys coming from the opposite end of the field flying one hundred miles an hour. They can't just stop. You know, they're gonna clip you a little bit even if you fall down flat. So that one I thought was a little gregious.
Speaker 3: Do you think it's changed in the offseason? Uh?
Speaker 9: That that I think will get changed. I still think the tust push will get changed, especially well after the championship game. Both games had issues with it. Whether it's the bills, you can't officiate.
Speaker 3: It, okay, but here's you can't officiate the play mark. They shouldn't allow a hard count.
Speaker 9: No, come on, cadence is a weapon, no, But.
Speaker 2: The hard count brings about those guns. They're trying to guess the cadence and they jumped on a hard count. But if they do know exactly what the hard count is meant for.
Speaker 9: But if you take away the hard count, then the defense gets a jump on the offensive cadence and they're in. They're in the backfield immediately. That's what the hard count's for, to get them to jump. Boom. The center knows to snap it. If somebody crosses the plane, you're told to freeze on the cadence. The center can see in his peripheral if that guy crosses me, Boom, I snap it and everybody just runs vertical and the quarterback takes a couple steps back and just launches one. Because you can't get in trouble or you can't throw an interception, all you can do is have past interference. Offensively at least.
Speaker 3: Yeah, offense gets everything.
Speaker 9: I mean, the hashes are narrow for a reason. They want a high scoring game. They want you in the middle of the field. It's harder to disguise a defense in the middle of the field.
Speaker 2: For college, I always feel bad for the field goal kicker who is out. Why Why did they make that tougher?
Speaker 9: Is it is strange you watch?
Speaker 3: I mean, we allow kickoffs in college.
Speaker 9: I'm sure it'll change at some point.
Speaker 3: You think, why not?
Speaker 2: I mean, he's Mark Sanchez, the former NFL quarterback. All right, so tell me how the Eagles win.
Speaker 3: Uh, you want.
Speaker 9: To grab yourn there No, no, no, this one I got down. But the offense, the offense runs through twenty six. If I'm killing more, I'm running the ball. I'm trying to set an NFL record in a Super Bowl for run rush attempts and run it.
Speaker 2: Now, you don't get the pass to open up the run. You use the run to open up the pen.
Speaker 9: I use Saquon to do Saquon.
Speaker 3: That's it. Oh, so you're not even concerned about the pass.
Speaker 9: I'd have a couple RPOs off of some of those passes I've had. I'd have a couple of quick game options. The best thing Jalen Hurts does is us his legs after Okay, their their premier game plan is handing the ball of Saquon next. Jalen Hurts running next. Jalen Hurts those deep ball shots. So I need about one a quarter to aj Brown. Whenever he's one on one, it's either a yes or no flow chart. If he's one on one, throw it, hold the safety with your eyes and launch it. Because he throws a beautiful deep ball a lot like Russell Wilson. So after that, give me a couple quick throws here and there, some RPO show quick flash fake with the ball and he kind of looks like a middle infielder where he's turning two and just ditch it to the edge. God her Calcaterra DeVante Smith. That's their past game. If they get down ten to fourteen points and they got to throw it thirty five times a game, they ain't winning the game.
Speaker 3: But the Chiefs know this, of course.
Speaker 9: I think I think Philly's gonna try and get in some bigger personnel and bring in make them play bass. So base defense, four down lineman, three linebackers. Usually you see Spagnola in nickel with an extra nickel defender usually McDuffie in the slot or somebody else in the slot. So leos Chaneau, who you don't see a lot of. I think he's gonna have a bigger role in this game. He's gonna have to fit up in the run game more than normal. Usually it's just Tranquil and Bolton, the two linebergers twenty three and thirty two.
Speaker 3: So that's what I think is gonna.
Speaker 2: Happen, and the Chiefs are gonna do what.
Speaker 9: What an evolution for this team? I think you start it left tackle. Joe Toney's playing left tackle. Joe Toney is an All Pro guard, so they had to move him out there because they went through three other guys who couldn't cut it. And now he's outside, So you bring in Caliendo at guard, their left side is compromised. In my opinion, Tony's just not fit. He's doing an incredible job. He's a savvy guy. He won two Super Bowls in New England, one a pair here in Kansas City. Excellent player, but he's an interior offensive lineman. He doesn't have those long levers to go grab those creatures that are Russian outside on the edge. He just doesn't physically, So I think their left side's compromised. Now you get those two big guys up front, Carter and Davis. I mean, how about the way they've been playing. Like Carter played me maybe half the snaps last year. Now he's almost doubled his snap count this year. So Clint Hurt, the defensive line coach, Vic Fangio, the defensive coordinator, have completely flipped the way this team, this attitude of this team, remember the wildcard last year. I mean, these guys got embarrassed. They got they wanted to fire the whole staff, and they did, and they brought Vic Fangio in and he's got two rookies playing in the secondary, like, are you kidding me? And they're in the Super Bowl. Come on, So this defense is playing unbelievable for Casey. It's not the same. It's no longer the deep play action shots down the field that was gonna kind of be Xavier Worthies deal. Remember Andy Reid, Deshaun Jackson, hard play fake. I don't care whether it was Vic, Kevin Cobb, McNabb, anybody hard play fake launched it down the field. Well, that takes so long, And go back to what I said about the left side of the line. They don't got time and they don't have two tight ends that can do that. Kelsey and no Gray are similar skill set. They don't want to block. They're not blockers, So you can't hold up for five seconds and let this guy run down the field fifty yards and launch it. So it's a different kind of passing game. The receivers are lighter, slider, a lot of them, just a little bit of tread left on the tires. Look at Juju Smith Schuster. Look at DeAndre Hopkins, Hollywood Brown on his third team. Now, I mean, these aren't guys that are like, okay, we need to double team him. I think they can play him man to man and try and stop the run. And it's just those quick passing game. Talk about a middle infielder, Patrick Mahomes, This dude's.
Speaker 3: I think you're best at it. I think you're picking the Eagles.
Speaker 9: I want to, but I can't bet against Mahomes, just like you know, it's impossible to bet against Brady when he was playing. It's like, the dude just finds a way to win and he gotta deal with that preparation, that scheme and their time on task in these crucial situations, whether it's Spagnola, whether it's Andy Reid, they have the answers. Their players can recognize the problems, community hit it to each other, and it leads to high, high levels of execution for their offense and defense. They find a way to win no matter what.
Speaker 2: How much is Kelsey lost lost slowed down his fastball.
Speaker 9: I mean, yeah, he's not exactly the player he was three years ago, you know, and his prime, I guess his athletic prime. I would say, but you know, they know that, and he's measured. I think one of the one of the unique aspects about him, and even a guy like brock Bowers, they're measured with their speed and they're never going to just blow by you, but they have this way of lulling you to sleep, almost like Fritz's playing pickleball, you know what I mean. He shows up and you're like this guy, you know, he hits a couple of soft ones and then what right down the pipe, you know what I mean, and then embarrasses you.
Speaker 2: They're not going to get Taylor Swift though, or Jessica not yet.
Speaker 9: So yeah, I think he's he developed this ability. And the savvy players do it when they're not just an athletic, you know, when athleticism isn't their only trade, when they're really smart football players and savvy and have the spatial awareness. As the athleticism declines, their football IQ skyrockets. And this guy knows when to pick and choose his spots and use every ounce of speed he has and when to be measured. Sit down in zone, show like I'm blocking, and then escape out into the flat. Provide an outlet for Patrick Mahomes and there goes a big play.
Speaker 2: Great stuff all season, Thank me, happy for your success. Here's Mark Sanchez, NFL and Fox analysts. We'll come back to meet Thursday. We'll go out to the grills after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: WAP oh Man. The show flew by today. Great guest today, Joe Burrow. I never know if Joe enjoys himself when he's with us, Like he's intense, but he's interesting. You've got strong opinions. Robert Griffin. Third was awesome. He really brings stuff. Bryce Young great to talk to him, and of course Mark Sanchez as he's been a friend of the show for quite some time. Stat of the Day was brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of The Dan Patrick Show. Last call for phone calls, what we learn, what's in store tomorrow? This day in sports history? Setan would you close out the poll question today?
Speaker 6: Yeah, the Lakers are making a late surge here, closer to a ring after all of the big trades. But yeah, the Spurs are the big surprise.
Speaker 3: Number two.
Speaker 6: And yeah, people really like the maps. I think they got significantly better.
Speaker 2: The second match for pickleball will be brought to you tomorrow. It was Todd and Seaton who won the first match that was shown to you today and tomorrow then we'll hand out awards as well. With that, my thanks to Miller Laid who did a wonderful job outfitting everybody with the rackets. Also who knew pickleball shoes and Dan it's had that I knew. PAULI was in when he got shoes, He's like, I'm ready to play, and then he went out and got sweat bands. I'm like, okay. Todd had a headband there looking on job. Little outfit I did. I don't know if it was an outfit, but I kind of outfitting.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm matching top and we got to cut the sleeves off, matching top.
Speaker 2: Okay, and I'm matching bottom. This day in sports industry, paul I.
Speaker 5: Got a couple for you, Dan.
Speaker 7: Nineteen twenty sixty, the NFL adopted a rule that made players ineligible for competition until their college classes graduate, which caused the NFL draft to start right after that. Dog sled racing nineteen thirty two made its debut and Olympic competition no longer and NBA expanded in nineteen seventy for the seventy seventy one season. New teams are Buffalo, Cleveland, Houston, and Portland. And lastly, in five the New England Peace Treets defeated the Eagles twenty four to twenty one for the third win in four years.
Speaker 2: The first unanimous MVP happened on this date in twenty eleven. Tom Brady got all fifty votes there. Also nineteen seventy, the NBA expanded to eighteen teams Buffalo, Cleveland, Houston, and Portland. Let's see anything else that needs to be mentioned today. Dion Sanders will join us tomorrow. I believe is that right time?
Speaker 4: That is true.
Speaker 5: He's gonna lead us off tomorrow morning.
Speaker 2: Dan Orlovsky will join us as well, and maybe some other surprises. It's oh, okay, you're teasing that.
Speaker 4: I like to put it out there. Why not okay to have a few hours left to add somebody.
Speaker 2: Do those guests know that their surprises they do not just get like. I don't know how that works.
Speaker 3: If you go surprise there, you're a guest on the show.
Speaker 8: Just when they thought they had their Friday figure out, I'm gonna swoop in and say, no, you got another stop to make on your journey.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Todd Moe in Arizona, Hi Mo, thanks for holding what's on your mind today?
Speaker 12: Born and Dan Donnett's I'm glad everybody's coming around in the Lakers, man. I mean, if you look at it, we obviously got the best player out of all the players you got traded. We got the best player. Not to mention, I don't know if you saw it. Just sitting next to the guy Bronnie made a three pointer and I swear rewounded it in your book, for like two minutes in the third quarter, Austin Reaves was even playing defense.
Speaker 2: Man, Come on, wow, thank you. Bo Moe is ready. He's ready for some playoff basketball. There, let's go round the room. What we learned on the program. Let's see Tom.
Speaker 3: Let me start with you. What did you learn today?
Speaker 8: Joe Burrow rather not tell the world where he keeps his Heisman Trophy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I certainly understand that, certainly understand that everything that he's gone through recently.
Speaker 3: Marvin, what did you learn today? RG?
Speaker 4: Three was born in Japan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and a lot of tattoos.
Speaker 2: And uh I was worried when he was showing the tattoos on his legs that he was.
Speaker 3: Kept moving up the legs. He was, Yeah, what did you learn today? RGI three wants people to give credit for their takes? Damn it, Yes, start in that movement.
Speaker 2: Stop stealing takes here, that's some credit, Yeah, Paul, what did you learn today?
Speaker 5: Bryce Young has a very apt last name Young.
Speaker 2: Hey that picture of him walking across like the parking lot with his book bag and it looked like first day of school. But hey, I'm happy for him because it felt like everybody gave up on him and he proved that he could play Todd.
Speaker 3: What did I learn today?
Speaker 4: RG?
Speaker 8: Three size of Patrick Mahomes wins on Sunday He's the new goats are passing Tom Brady.
Speaker 2: Keeper's Heart is a new and unique style of whiskey that combines the best of Irish and American whiskey, creating the smooth character of Irish whiskey in the bull flavors of American whiskeys. If you're a whiskey fan, you got to try it. Please drink responsibly. In fact, the master distiller, Brian Nation, gonna make some cocktails coming up here in a couple of minutes. Thanks for joining us, Our pleasure to serve you. Paulie Seaton, Todd, Marvin yours truly. We'll talk to you tomorrow