Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Hope you had a great weekend everybody. It's hour two on this Tuesday, we'll talk to some college football. Rick Neuheisel, college football analyst for CBS Sports and of course former college coach. And he was an assistant in the NFL, so always great to talk to. Rick makes this smarter. Every time we talked to him. NFL was kicking off this season. It'll be a big matchup Thursday, it's the Ravens Chiefs, the Ravens getting three. That'll be on NBC and Peacock. Then on Friday, live from Brazil, it's the Packers and the Eagles, only on Peacock. I had an interesting conversation yesterday and I didn't know what to say to this gentleman who I was talking to coming out of a store and he saw me and he said, hey, what do you think about BC next week? And I said I hadn't thought about it, and he goes, yeah, proud graduate. And I said, oh okay, and he goes, I'm going to go to the Florida State game. And I said, okay, now I'm thinking. I thought of Florida State and BC, we're going to play last night, but he says that he is. He'm not sure if he's going to wear a BC Hockey jersey and it so this was like twelve thirty yesterday afternoon, and then he goes, yeah, and I'm also thinking about maybe going Packers Eagles. I go, wait, you're going to Brazil and he goes, no, Philadelphia. I go, no, the game is in Brazil. Goes when did that change? And I go, it's been in the works for a long time. He thought Florida State was playing BC next week, So I like, I didn't want to tell him. I just thought, you know what, I'd rather maybe he is going, maybe somehow he's going to get on a plane and get down there to go watch the game. But he wanted to know what he should wear, and I said, well, I probably wouldn't wear anything that was flying the school colors. When I'm on the road. There's certain places you probably wouldn't do. I don't know how Tallahausee would have been. They probably would have been receptive to you until you start winning and then they won't like you. But BC pulls off the big surprise. Have you gone to a sporting event? Or gone to something where you go, I picked the wrong day. Wait a minute, isn't there supposed to be a game today?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: See, I've done at least two that I could think of off the top of my head. Where once I was going to me I got a call from a buddy. We were doing the show in New York City. He's like, hey, man, you want to go to the Yankee game. It's like, hell, yeah, dude, let's go. I hop a train to get up to Yankee Stadium and as I'm up there, I'm like, man, it's weird there's no Yankee fans on the train today. And that I look at the schedule and the Yankees are in Cleveland that night.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah right, it's gonna be tough to get on a train to get there.
Speaker 4: But oh crap, dude, I'm like this is I got right to the stop. I'm like, there's nobody here. What the heck is going on? And I looked at the schedule. Oh, because because they're on the road today. Yes's why I'm not going to the ad.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Paul, I had a pretty bad one in college. I went to Southern Illinois University, about two hours from Saint Louis. Every year in Saint Louis, they used to have this big basketball tournament called a seven Up Shootout, and they would invite the biggest recruits, like Chris Weber played there. And some of the names that we're going to be there that wee weekend were Sean Bradley, remember the seven to sixth guy, and Anthony Hardaway and players of that ilk. I said this to them Fortney President'm like, I'm driving, let's go. Let's go Saturday afternoon, We're all charge up. We drive up to the arena and I go, Hi, can we get to all four tickets? She goes for the ice Show. She goes the seven up Shootouts next Saturday, and all my buddies were just looking at me. We did not go to the ice Show, and they still remind me of it.
Speaker 2: Diner Mussini, tweeting alt Trent Williams has signed his contract extension with the forty nine ers, their star left tackle, future Hall of Famer. So everything is great in San Francisco except for Ricky pearsall their rookie who got shot. Like you know, you see certain headlines and I'm not surprised. Sometimes you're like, Okay, all right, when you're going for lunch middle of the day and you get shot in the chest and the bullet goes through you, and you're going, wait a minute, what is going on here? I guess somebody tried to rob him of his watch and then ended up shooting him. Paramedics saved his life, but the bullet goes through him. He's been released, and I guess he's out now. Not from the team, he's been released from a hospital. That would be really mean. He said, Oh, come on, you're gonna have to release you. You got a bullet hole. I guess he's out for at least a month. I don't know how that works with bullet holes. Of when we expect you to come back? Yes, Tod.
Speaker 6: And the fact that he didn't need any type of surgery is amazing to me. Once they said that it went through his chestin out his back and he was released with no surgical procedure.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yes, Morvion.
Speaker 8: What's the odds for him for when he come back of the year?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, without ever being here.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he's a rookie. I don't know.
Speaker 4: We should check and see if his odds improved. Sounds like a technicality is going to keep him out. Gotta admit.
Speaker 2: See, they don't like this. They you know, Joe Flacco came off the couch. That's a comeback, you know, Jamarrow Hamblin came back from death. You know, they kind of like when you come back from adversity on the field.
Speaker 6: I think he's got a shot.
Speaker 7: Oh, I see, it's okay to make these jokes. He's released, so I well, he's okay.
Speaker 5: He's been released. Okay, they say he's like a full recovery in the station.
Speaker 7: Okay, so now we can pope. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Lightly, I think lightly, how does it work?
Speaker 9: Though?
Speaker 5: I like a teammate it's turf toe and is out six to eight weeks and you were shot in the chest and you're out like three to four. You just crush that guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you got to be careful with future injuries around a guy who gets shot in the chest. It's like, wait, what's what You're not going to be able to play for?
Speaker 7: How long?
Speaker 2: I got shot in the chest? As Paul Well, no, I'll let you have the line of who had a worst weekend?
Speaker 5: Oh Isa, who had a worst weekend? Ricky piersall Er Dango Sweeney since he was released from the hospital. Clearly joking.
Speaker 2: I think I think Dabo had a worst weekend, though, Well, Ricky's going to recover.
Speaker 7: No, No, Florida State had a worst weekend.
Speaker 5: Ricky's going to be okay in six to eight weeks. I don't know if they will or Ricky got shot.
Speaker 4: In the chest and walked himself to the ambulance.
Speaker 2: Waller, that's love then, pretty serious age seven seven three DP show email Addressdpadanpatrick dot com Twitter handled a TP show. We skewed negative first hour surprise shocker. Who had the worst weekend? Big winner, not even close? Big winner was Florida State? Seaton absolutely rolling. All right, yeah, they have currently eighty two percent of the vote. All right, yeah, how about we skew positive this alley, Yes, who had the best weekend?
Speaker 7: The best weekend?
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, USC Notre Dame Miami Boston College usc USC.
Speaker 2: I mean that's a big win for BC against Florida State. But USC played defense. They were I mean there was They're not a finesse team. The media was waiting, but you know, you get UCLA's defensive coordinator. They went out and they got some big, god, big bodies up there. Miller Moss played, well, you got a couple of playmakers there, so I I'd say USC. That was one of those where I mean LSU was only favored by I think three or four, but still perception victory, they're the big winner.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Pauling and USC, unlike Notre Dame, has a little bit of a tougher schedule. At USC's at Michigan September twenty first, Penn stayed at home October twelfth, at Washington, November at Usalea in November. But they finished a season hosting Notre Dame on National TV November thirty. That's a month could be a monster.
Speaker 2: University of Florida has been home to one of the college football's best programs, or at least they used to for years they were. Now they struggle to win seven games and Billy Napier's on the hot seat. Gators have not been patient with other coaches. Remember Will Muschamp, he lasted four years. He had an eleven and two season a trip to the Sugar Bowl. Jim McElwain, he lasted two seasons but finished inside the top twenty five in both those seasons. Dan Mullen similar fate. He won the Cotton Bowl and the Peach Bowl, and now you got Billy Napier where he hasn't posted a winning season, get blown out against Miami at home, and I don't know if there's a hotter seat right now than his. I mean, you could say that Dabo Sweeney's seat is hot, but I don't see it that way because I mean, you're gonna buy him out. I don't think so with Billy Napier. Here's the Florida head coach. After the loss to Miami.
Speaker 3: We got to go to work on the football part, you know, And I think we got to get more. We got to become a more consistent team, and we have to execute better. And if we can focus on those things and not necessarily what some guy in his basement saying, and you know, rural central Florida on social media, then we got a chance to get better.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 2: Wow calling out somebody who's in their underwear and their parents' home in the basement tweeting out things.
Speaker 4: Yes, solid cultural reference there. I think we're past that reference at minimum twenty years.
Speaker 2: I'm going to say, yeah, you know you're living your mom's dad's basement, be like, yeah, that we said that a long long time ago.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure if you're aware of this industry that's making billions of dollars.
Speaker 2: But yeah, social media is here to stay. Coach, just letting you know. Georgia rolls Clemson Notre Dame against Texas, A and M. It was close until it wasn't USC over LSU, Florida State's now oh and two Ohio State, Oregon, Texas, Bama, Ole Miss get wins and we got football coming up on Thursday night. Rick new Heisa will join us coming up here in a little bit. Let me see what else do we have here? John in Minnesota, Hi John, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 9: Hey Dan, thanks for saving my call. Ye actually called in to talk about the bill. Well just quick story. I live in Minnesota and I had a business where I was in Iowa all the time, and I had a customer give me four tickets to see the ice packers, and I just assumed you was at the Metrodale. Well sorry, yes, thanks stadium, and uh so I taxed my buddy gets to go fourth pactus tickets there life say you run a lambro Wait what Anyway, I ended up giving them to someone else. Uh, So my question though, is to last year, two of you guys picked.
Speaker 10: The bill of the bill of the Super Bowl.
Speaker 9: Is anyone doing that this year? Or have that done?
Speaker 7: No, that's done. I don't don't.
Speaker 2: I don't think anybody's not engaging the room. I don't think anybody's doing that. Does anybody have the Buffalo Bills playing in the Super Bowl?
Speaker 1: Todd?
Speaker 4: Okay, Seeton's looking at my short list here of teams, I like know.
Speaker 2: They're Marvin No, okay, Paulie, I really have to weigh my ass. We'll have our picks super Bowl picks on Thursday. What about the player? We got to come up with a name for this, The player who is going to regress marquee, player who will let me see the perception of him will drop I he'll regret Jalen hurts, he regrets last year.
Speaker 7: Who is going to be?
Speaker 2: Who is going to be that player who all of a sudden takes a little bit of a step back, maybe a big step back this year. I don't know if they have categories for this, but there's certain players where, well every year you'll be like, man, what happened to him? You know? Justin Herbert or Trevor Lawrence whoever, and it's usually a quarterback.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: See, it feels like Josh Allen would be a guy to watch. Kay, He's either going to be like an MVP or have a terrible year. Oh it feels like one of those two things. Okay, Marvin, I'm gonna go Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, so already coming up with candidates here? Okay, I was looking for a name for this award, all forget.
Speaker 5: So it's not the like the end there's the MVP. It's not the least Valuable Player because it's not. No, it's the perception drop player, the PDP.
Speaker 4: Maybe the least most valuable player. How about instead of the comeback Player of the Year, this is the step back player. They took a step back. Yes, it's that comeback. It's step back.
Speaker 7: Close all right? I like that the Harden.
Speaker 8: Okay, the what like when somebody said the Academy Award and it's called the Oscar. Yeah, oh, the step back is going to be the Harden?
Speaker 7: Okay, all the all the James Harden. Oh no, then you have to explain it.
Speaker 2: By the way, I watched uncut Gems yesterday. Adam Sandler is so great. I know he's a friend. It is mind boggling he didn't get nominated for that award. He's so good in that. He is the tension in that movie where he's got this big bet and the Celtics are playing the heat and he's got to win this and then all the I mean, he's got these bad guys who were locked up they want to kill him and he's got to win this bad he's you know, he's you got to pay off gambling debts.
Speaker 7: Oh my god, he's spectacular.
Speaker 2: Also, Bourne Identity watched the second half of that yesterday.
Speaker 4: How many times a month do you watch that movie?
Speaker 7: As many times as possible?
Speaker 5: Is it comforting? Is it like just a nice comfortable blanket.
Speaker 2: I just you know what, I pick up a little thing every time I watch it.
Speaker 4: I feel like this summer so far, that's got to be the fifth time you've come in and be like, watch Boorne Identity this weekend.
Speaker 7: Bourne Ultimatum.
Speaker 2: Well now, and now my family finally watched it, so now they're like, you know, I get it, we get it. We didn't think Mad Damon was going to be an action star, so it's great.
Speaker 4: It's great.
Speaker 2: Can't go wrong with that Taken was on again. I did not watch it because I thought that's sad. That would people be like, dude, you don't have a life. But uh yeah, watched the uncut Gems again and I was like God. And I even text Adam Sandler yesterday after the movie. I said, what, how did you not get nom dominated?
Speaker 5: And do you phrase it differently?
Speaker 2: I was, you know what, it was one of those I'm saying it to myself, and uh, he's Sandler, to his credit, just goes Danny and he spells it d A n n n n n n N while Danny and then that's it. So he doesn't even get involved in it. But he had to be, I don't know, crushed. But if he didn't get nominated for that, he never get nominated. I mean grown ups too. Uh, hellou didn't get a sniff of that either. They started shooting on the ninth in Jersey with a happy Gilmore too. Uh Philip in Dallas, Hi Philip, what's on your mind tonight?
Speaker 10: Hey?
Speaker 7: Good morning.
Speaker 10: I had, first of all, sixty two hundred and five pounds. I'd like to use that to post up guys to shoot up. Fifty eight years old anyway, best of the weekend. I got to overdose on college football Saturday as much as I could Sunday and Monday without any any looks from my wife, who I love very much. But he's been in Montana for five weeks, and so it was. It was. It was pretty awesome weekend. So no worse. There's just no worse.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, congratulations, Philip, your wife's in Montana for five weeks and you get to watch football. Nobody there to nag you, I guess, is what you're saying, Yes, Paul.
Speaker 7: Five weeks.
Speaker 5: Is that a vacation or setting up a leaving.
Speaker 2: And it sounds like there's a situation here you might be relocating.
Speaker 7: Yes, yes, five weeks.
Speaker 2: It's a long time, Philip, Like two weeks, that's that's.
Speaker 7: Kind of a little bit of a comfort.
Speaker 2: Okay, two weeks it sounded like, you know, and then he has to say, I love my wife very much. Feels like he had to say that, even though he was probably happy, you know, gone for five weeks.
Speaker 7: He said the worst.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great point. Yeah, the worst would have been on and I wish my lovely wife Sally could have been here to share this Football Weekend with me. Stat of the Day brought to you BA Panini America, the official trading cards of this program. We'll take a break. I'll talk to Rick new Heiseel. I gotta ask him which situation is going to be fixable? Clemson, Florida State or Florida. We'll talk to Rick new Heiseel. More of your phone calls back after this. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 11: He's Mike Krmen, I'm Dan Byern. We have a fantasy football podcast called I Want Your Flex.
Speaker 1: That's right, Dan.
Speaker 12: Every week we're gonna scour the waiver wire to find the pickups to turbo boost your fantasy lineup, sit starts, fantasy football players rankings to get you ready to dominate the competition.
Speaker 11: Listen to I Want Your Flex with Mike Carbon and Meat Dan Buyer on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts and wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: More of your phone calls coming up. Spent some time with Rick Neuheisel. This is such an odd stat But then I'm attracted to these odd stats. Chris Flexen is a pitcher for the Chicago White Sox. The White Sox lost their twentieth consecutive game in games started by Chris Flexen this year. That is the longest such streak in baseball since nineteen hundred.
Speaker 12: Stall of the Day, Stand of a Day, stataa day, Stannada Day.
Speaker 7: This is the stant of the.
Speaker 2: Day stat of the Day, brought to you by Panini America. The official trading cards for the Dan Patrick Show was three years ago that he.
Speaker 7: Won fourteen games. Yeah for Seattle. What is that like? Though?
Speaker 2: You take the mound and you know you'd have little chance of winning. They got blown out thirteen to three. They've lost eleven in a row. What a historical slide here. All right, we'll give you our best and worst of the weekend coming up, and more of your phone calls as well. You have the game on Friday night in Brazil. It's the Eagles in the Packers. Darius Slay is an Eagle cornerback. He's not too happy about going to Brazil.
Speaker 7: Week one.
Speaker 13: Not am looking forward to it. I can't wait, but man, I do not want to go to Brazil. And you want to know why. I'm going to tell you why. They already told us not to lead a hotel. They told us we can't do too much going on because it's the rate is crazy.
Speaker 14: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 13: I'm like, NFL, why don't y'all want to send us somewhere with the crowwright this high and like we got the country so you know, the first thing people think is like some terbor and possibly happen it.
Speaker 7: I'm not gonna be nowhere to be found.
Speaker 13: Really, that would be in a hotel, chilling out of my business, playing my gay at the Loan nine and a half hour flight.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 2: Having been in Rio for the Olympics, we were told when we left our hotel, just make sure you're not carrying valuables or you hide your wallet, don't wear a watch out and if you needed security to walk to go to dinner, we were told that.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 2: I don't know if the players how much they're going to see at Brazil. I don't think they're going to be outside seeing unless they build it into Hey, the Eagles and Packers are in Brazil, let's get them on the beach or certain places there that you know historical landmarks. But the big Play Shape podcast there with Darius Sledt not big on going to Brazil. Well, I understand that for a player opening a season, you know you got to go how many hours away you're going to play a football game. Creatures that habit, and I understand that you disrupt that. Even a coach preparing for something like this and then coming back from a game like that and then going into what is your normal routine, not easy to do Packers. But once again, this is the global expansion of the NFL. They want to have these countries. We want Brazil to adopt the Packers or the Eagles and then play another game there and then you get a big turnout, then you move merchandise, go back to Kansas City. With Germany, this is what they want. They want to have these countries say that's our NFL team. You're not going to have teams in Germany or Brazil playing in the NFL certainly, not anytime soon. But you can take advantage of the fan base there and you're able to make money, which is what they love to do. Rick Neuheisel, CBS Sports college football analyst and of course college football coach as well. He joins us on the program. All right, Rick, we've been talking about this. We've been talking about Clemson, We've been talking about Florida State, We've been talking about Florida. Which one is an easier fix out of those three.
Speaker 7: Clemson.
Speaker 14: Clemson had a defense that look the part for much of the first half. They've got to find a way to get those wide receivers involved in the offense. Club Nick cannot average less than five yards in attempt. That's just not a sustainable way to do it. But they have the wherewithal to get this done. Florida State has no running game and no ability to stop the run. And Florida just flat looked anemic. Now that maybe just because cam Ward's that good, he looked that good. But you've got a fan base that's already looking in the yellow pages.
Speaker 2: Let me go back to Clemson because four years ago, they're up there with Alabama, they're there with Georgia. You know, they're they're among the elite. And then Dabo said, I'm not doing transfer portal doing nil.
Speaker 7: I mean, it's irresponsible.
Speaker 2: Like at some point he has to he has to do this right, he has to modernize.
Speaker 14: It is a kind of get off my lawn type of statement. It's a it's an old school you know, I'm not changing for the sake of changing. I get where he's coming from. I think we all wish that we could keep our guys for the length of their time in college. But it is irresponsible to not look out there and see what other teams are doing, especially when you watch George's two touchdown catches be by kids that transferred in one from Vanderbilt and one from Miami.
Speaker 2: But if I'm going to look at this, let's say an NFL coach and GM said, we're not going to have free agents, We're just going to take the players we drafted. Well, that's the analogy I would use with Clemson. Hey, we recruited. We don't want anybody else's players. These are the players that we want that make you the best in the business.
Speaker 14: Dan, you can see it. You see the forest through the trees. That is exactly right. And while you have this idea in your head, we're doing more than just playing football games. And we want kids to get their degrees and graduate and feel like they've accomplished something over the course of their time here at Clemson. And that's a certainly a ideal that we all can understand. It's just not real business when you're trying to win football games.
Speaker 2: At the same time, there are big wins and then there are big perception wins. And I think the biggest perception win this weekend was Sunday night by USC huge, huge win for Lincoln Riley and maybe because of the way they want it, Miller Moss showing that he's capable in a late game drive to do what he did, and a defense that held up, a defense that held up over the course of sixty minutes and tackled as if they'd practice tackling, And to me, that was a huge step forward for the Trojans and by the way, a huge step for the Big Ten as well.
Speaker 7: But then I look at l issue with Brian Kelly.
Speaker 2: What is it about openers that certain coaches are great, certain coaches aren't And he is a marquee coach who's now zero to five his last five season openers.
Speaker 14: Well, as you look at who they schedule in their season openers, it's a referendum. And you look across the board everybody else doing on openers. You're sitting there going why do they keep doing this well. Obviously they keep putting money in their pocket, but his comments after the game were more about an attitude like we've accomplished something while the game was still in hand, and that, to me is something about a culture that he's got to get fixed.
Speaker 2: Talking to Rick new Heisl, CBS sports college football analyst and of course a former college head coach, Notre Dame had one of those sneaky wins because they were underdogs at Texas A and M. And if you look the schedule, I know they can only finish as high as five in the twelve teen playoffs, but it's a manageable schedule for Notre Dame.
Speaker 14: I will make a ridiculous referendum right here, Rick A. Rick's ridiculous referendum here that they're in the playoffs.
Speaker 7: They're in.
Speaker 14: That game was so huge for them because they're going to be judged amongst a bunch of SEC teams at season's end. Had they lost on the road and finished ten and two, it would have been much harder. This victory allows ten and two to get in. I think that as you look at the schedule, ten and two's an easy number to get to, especially with the way that defense played, I think, and Marcus Freeman's becoming a rock star. That little focus on him at the end of the game, the handsome guy coming off. I told you so that that's going to carry some weight down the stretch. And I also believe that the College Football Playoff Committee will have them seated somewhere between five and eight. So the Irish get a home game. Definitely, Yeah, yeah, yeah, without question. That is that's made for television. Gold Listen, it's happening. The Irish are in.
Speaker 7: That'd be the Golden Dome, is what you're saying. It's gold.
Speaker 14: That's what I meant to say. Leave it, leave it to details. You know, if I came for me.
Speaker 2: If I if I gave you Georgia or the field.
Speaker 14: Wow, george is tough to beat. They're the other team that's already in the playoffs and and their schedule still daunting. They go to Tuscaloosa. I that one in Tuscaloosa. Haylin de boor everybody I know in Tuscaloosa says how good they look. Everybody and we always assume Nick Saban was the goat and just you can't get any better. And yet this guy, if you look at this record. What is he one hundred and something in twelve? I mean, he's He's a phenom, whether you're counting South Dakota, Fresno or Washington twenty five and three. They out of the gates the other day. It but George's in the playoffs. But that Alabama Georgia game I can't wait for.
Speaker 2: But if I look at you know, Alabama, Ohio State in Texas, I don't know if I take anything away from week one. I mean they played weak opponents certain Texas.
Speaker 14: Texas looked darn goood defensively without those two defensive tackles. They gave up less than two hundred yards to a Colorado State offense where the quarterback and the wide receiver were both offered six hundred grand to leave in the nil market. That saying something when you can just absolutely shut them down as you did without those two big hosses up front.
Speaker 2: Well, we're going to get a better idea of Texas this weekend. With Yes, they played Michigan, what do you what do you that's the marquee matchup? What do you expect out of that?
Speaker 14: I think a close game for a while, and then Sark and company take it over. I think they're that put together. Davis Warren fifteen twenty five in his first game, okay, and certainly got his feet wet.
Speaker 7: A home crowd will be helpful.
Speaker 14: I think they hang around, but I don't know that there's enough octane in their offense to hang with Texas.
Speaker 2: I know that you were probably the first to say it that you thought Jim Harball was leaving Michigan. This a long time ago when we talked about it. Now he's with the Chargers. Does anything happen to Michigan you think down the road with any of this.
Speaker 14: With Connor Stallions, I think it was interesting that they changed plans for having Jim Harbaugh come and be the honorary captain in week one. You know, for him to say that it was he wanted to focus on the Chargers, I think he could have focused on the charter long ago. I think that was let's not just poke these guys in the eye and make sure own more take the hit here for what is obviously a little bit of a cover up. Listen when Connor Stallions goes on Netflix and says, I do not recall, that's when we know we've got a little g Gordon Letty going on.
Speaker 2: Great to talk to you is always we'll catch up again, thanks, but always a blast. DP enjoy the season. Rick new Heisee, our good buddy, contributed a few songs over the years and always appreciate his insights in college football. We'll get to more phone calls coming up. We'll give you our best and worst of the weekend Paralympic Games. They kick off with an unforgettable celebration from the heart of Paris. The twenty twenty four Paralympic Games today on NBC in Peacock, I saw where there's a basketball player, a paralympian from I think India, and he is eight feet one inches. But he's the second tallest person in the world. If I'm going to be eight feet one, I want to be the tallest person in the world. I don't want to be the second tallest to go through life at eight feet one. Oh yeah, you're the second tallest. It's like, you know, when you're the oldest person in the world, all right, when you die, you get a little recognition. The second oldest person in the world doesn't get any recognition. But to be eight feet one, I think the tallest person might be eight feet three.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Paulie, so.
Speaker 5: He's second place. Yeah, he's eight foot one. He's thirty six years old. His first name is Mortesa. He in the Olympic village. The beds have rails on the ends, so he can't sleep on the beds even though they're seven feet long. He's sleeping on the floor. He takes three mattresses and makes a little bed for himself.
Speaker 7: Wow, yes, time.
Speaker 6: How many times have people coming on you must be the tallest person.
Speaker 13: In the world.
Speaker 2: No, I'm the second tallest. Don't even get bragging rights there.
Speaker 7: That'd be tough.
Speaker 4: Everywhere you go, you duck trying to get into a car. It's a hard life. It is harder than you.
Speaker 2: Well, you see these NBA players and I just when their careers are over, of just trying to have a normal life. But there is no such thing as a normal life when you're over seven feet tall. No, it's just everything is an adjustment. Yes, I was once.
Speaker 4: Around minut Bowl for a little while, and everything he did was like laborious, Like everything he did was like extra steps for him to be able to do it. It seemed very difficult, and you don't realize how tall.
Speaker 2: That is you can watch on TV, but you know, you have players who might be six to eight and then they're seven six, so you go, oh, not that much taller. But when you're I was around Mark Eaton, who played for Utah. Him and Yao Ming are the two biggest men I've ever and Shaq in there too, But Yo Ming could rest his arm on top of Shaq's head. I mean, Yo Ming's the biggest guy on the planet. And Mark Eaton was huge. I mean it's you can be seven five but be seven to five but also be three hundred pounds or more. It's just and Yo Ming. You don't realize how big he was or is until you see him compared to Shaq and you're like, damn, Shaq doesn't look garganchaan.
Speaker 7: He looks like normal ish. Where's Yeo Ming? That's a big dude, Yeah, Paul.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this this Iranian guy eight foot one. He's been in the Paralympics before two different times.
Speaker 2: How many points did he score in his first did he score like forty points yesterday?
Speaker 7: Checking?
Speaker 5: But he was a volleyball player first he broke Well that's it, yeah, my bad volleyball. Yes, he's a volleyball player. Yes, he actually broke his pelvis when he was in grade school and it caused his right leg to not grow as fast as the left. They said he could even be taller if he didn't have that injury, taller than anyone. Oh my god, does he list himself at seven foot eleven so people downplay it.
Speaker 7: I know that Bill Walton did that.
Speaker 2: Bill Walton was probably seven too, and I remember saying, Bill, you're not six eleven, and he'd say it's all everything was all relative, it's all relative, and I go, uh no, it's not.
Speaker 7: You're not You're not six eleven.
Speaker 2: He never wanted to be because seven footers were viewed as freaks. And I remember Bill saying that he would always say six to eleven. He was on six eleven. He was seven too.
Speaker 4: Yes, Martin Kevin Garnet is easily seven foot one.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I saw him sit next standing next to somebody who was quote nquote listed at six ten. He was kind of towering over them, like six eleven.
Speaker 2: When we come back, our best and worst of the weekend MVP pick and the step back player, the player who will regress the most or back after.
Speaker 1: This be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: A little bit of NFL news this morning. Diana Russini tweeting out Trent Williams signed a contract extension with the forty nine Ers. All Right, best and worst of the weekend, Toddy had an extra day. I think this is going to be extra special. Your best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 6: Best of the weekend.
Speaker 5: Boise stayed.
Speaker 6: Running back Ashton gent You rushed for a school record two hundred and sixty seven yards sixty d sally keeping the Broncos from a season opening upset fifty six to forty five at Georgia Southern. That was a close game, but Boise State pulled it out with the six touchdowns. Worst of the weekend. LSU not able to close things out in Vegas Sunday Night twenty seven twenty lost to USC, Brian Kelly slamming his fist and frustration in the postgame. Coach Kelly now oh in three in season openers since heading to Baton Rouge Seaton.
Speaker 4: My best of the weekend. Boston College and USC both looking good for a start that's a huge game for Boston College, probably the you know, every five years or so, it seems like they're good for like a like ah, yes, boss, hey look at Posse College. All right, well done BC. Yeah good for a weekend, Yeah, yeah, for sure. My worst of the weekend dj oolong ooh Youngalala already getting the we want brock chan second game into the season, they're already calling for the backup quarterback. That is just that's not nice. It's cruel. It's cruel.
Speaker 8: Marvin Best of the weekend. I got Heisman hopeful Jackson Dart ole Miss quarterback, four hundred and eighteen yards, five touchdowns, is Ole Miss beat Ferman seventy six zero and he ran for a Touchdown's right Septizeman early worst of the weekend are Kansas City Royals. They lost six straight games and they're now their third in the Al Central.
Speaker 2: Yep DP show Jenks we started talking about him. Oh look at this team, worse to first and then they lose six in a row. Paulie beston wors I.
Speaker 5: Had Jackson dart I'll go audible here, let's go with Okay, I'll go with Northwestern football. What they only got by Miami, Ohio, but they are redoing their football stadium, so they took the lacrosse field, which is right basically on Lake Michigan. Pumped it up to have like twelve or thirteen thousand seats. The view is unbelievable. I mean, the football solid the view is fantastic. At Northwest it's called Northwestern Medicine Field at Martin Stadium. That's a handful dan worst of the weekend. It was mentioned before Virginia Tech. There are certain teams you can't lose to, and Vandy is one of them.
Speaker 2: I like that one of our callers said, yeah, you can't lose to an educational school. I would hope that all schools are educational. But when you're just known for being educational like Vanderbilt, I mean, what is your favorite Vanderbilt sports moment?
Speaker 7: I'd have to go back to. Was it Barry goheen.
Speaker 5: Goheen from three?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 5: A Jay Cutler I think had gotten to a bowl game.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Are we missing out on any great Vanderbilt moments in sports history?
Speaker 7: Yes, Martin Paul took mine.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 8: I think Jay Culer went sec Offensive Player of the Year on year or the week. Maybe not now I thank you one Player of the Year.
Speaker 2: I just know that Chris Simms joined us and said Jake Cutler was the best quarterback in that draft, and man, it might have been the most talented quarterback in that draft, but I remember him saying, this guy from Bandy is the best quarterback.
Speaker 7: Yes, Todd, did he look.
Speaker 6: As enthusiastic as Vanderbilt as he did on the sideline with Denver in Chicago?
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know if we ever really focused on Jake Cutler's demeanor when he was in college. I don't I don't remember. Maybe we should have, all, right, MVP pick or the step back player, the player who is going to regress. How about we do the step back player so it can squeeze that in Tod, I'm going to start with you, the player who takes a step back.
Speaker 6: I know he only played six games due to injury, but I think things aren't going to grow great for Deshaun Watson in the Cleveland Browns.
Speaker 7: Okay, I think there's gonna be some regressing there. I think there's already been some regression there. Significant not regrets, but regression. Seaton. I hate to say it.
Speaker 4: But because you're gonna be a real rain on the parader, and I don't. I wish this young man all the best, and I hope that I'm wrong. I would rather be wrong than right here.
Speaker 7: But it could be c J.
Speaker 4: Stroud.
Speaker 7: You know that I was gonna go see J.
Speaker 4: Stroud only because great minds think alike.
Speaker 7: That's why.
Speaker 4: Okay, but it could be c J. Stroud second time through. Okay, Mike Marvin, you.
Speaker 8: Know what, I'm gonna go Lamar Jackson because he's the MVP, and I think he's gonna win the MVP again, so he could regress.
Speaker 5: Paulie I hate doing as well to a Takabayoloa. I think their offense was fantastic last year, and we'll have a light cooling.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they might be better, That's what I was gonna say.
Speaker 2: I mean they might be better. I mean Mike McDaniel, he puts two in these situations. May mean he got him this contract extension. Yes, Why aren't the Dolphins considered a better team than they are? Because of their inability to win games on the road in December and their defense is in formidable.
Speaker 4: It feels like they should be.
Speaker 2: A top five easy well, offensively but it's a team game, yes, Ton.
Speaker 6: So there could be some bad karma because to you know, threw his former coach under the bus with the and now he's talking about how his current coach McDaniel is just so much more supportive than Flores, So things are gonna start going ugly for him. That would be pretty bad.
Speaker 7: Well, I'm not saying that, well, Paulie, and I'm just saying.
Speaker 6: That on top of what Polis saying. Imagine you have to saying what he said about his former coach and he's got all this good energy from the current coach that he would fall backwards.
Speaker 2: Paul you want to change yours if Todd's on your side, yuh. C J Stroud for me only because I don't think the team is going to be as good as what everybody expects. They were a great story last year and he was unbelievable. It's just they got a tough schedule and they're not surprising anybody this year.