Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. It's our two on this Wednesday. The great Ernie Johnson will join us. Coming up a little bit phone calls. More of those on the way settle on a poll question for hour two. Make sure you go to danpatrick dot com Clearance sale. You can pick up a lot of great items. Stat of the Day is always brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards for the Dan Patrick Show. I had a conversation yesterday with somebody. Now in the first hour, I mentioned I have a source and I was trying to get information about the Cleveland Browns, and either he didn't know or he wasn't going to spill anything, because I said, what are you doing with the number two pick? Now that Russ is signed with the Giant. In fact, when I was talking to him, I said what about Russ And he goes, well, you just signed with the Giants. I go, okay, so he's not going to the Cleveland Browns. This is during the phone call. Then I go, okay, what are you doing. You're going to take Abdull Carter? You got to put him with Miles Garrett. Would you take you to Sanders. But Dion let his son go to Cleveland. Boy, it makes a lot of sense if Cleveland really likes Shador Sanders. Now, all of a sudden, a rookie contract for your quarterback, and it eases the financial pain of what you stupidly paid to Shaun Watson. He wasn't given me anything. I said, what about Kirk Cousins after the draft? Would you take Kirk Cousins? Maybe, Well, he'd have to be healthy and it would cost us a draft pick, all right, couldn't get anything crickets. And then you look what the Giants are doing with Russ and Jameis Winston. Are they going to still take Shador Sanders? You know, I went the first hour without mentioning the Aaron Rodgers part of the equation. But it is real. It's either Pittsburgh or retirement. That's what it feels like. And I thought it was Minnesota or retirement. But he did go there for six hours last Fridays. Everybody knows and what is he waiting for now? If he doesn't want to give an answer till after the draft and the Steelers are fine with that, I'm fine with it.
Speaker 2: Like it is my job to cover it do. I wish it happen sooner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, content, But if it's his time frame and the Steelers time frame and they're fine with both of that, you know parts of the equation, then I am I'm going all right, who cares? You know, a member of the media whining about something. All Right, I'll survive. But you do want to be ahead of the game kind of figure out. Okay, if he goes there, what's it mean? How long is he going to go there for? Would they still take a quarterback in the draft? You know, so there's a lot of different things in there. Cam Ward, it feels like he has cemented himself as the number one overall pick. I'm guessing Tennessee does take him. I thought the Giants would try to move up. Cleveland probably doesn't want to move up. They'll be fine at too. They need help, and you could get Travis Hunter, Abdul Carter, and if you truly loved Shudoor Sanders, you take him. But you start to look at these quarterbacks and we pump them up because they're the next wave of quarterbacks. And I was curious when we had Matt Miller, the great draft expert for the Mothership on recently, I said, where would cam Ward be with last year's quarterback clans?
Speaker 3: If we were talking about last year's drafts, cam Ward would have been the sixth or seventh guy drafted, probably at quarterback, not overall at quarterback. And that might still make you a top ten pick, right because those guys flew up the board last year. But I do think he's being elevated. It is interesting both quarterbacks Sanders and Ward, they have some bad habits that are going to need coached out of them. Cam Ward's kind of get dismissed because he has a strong arm.
Speaker 1: So that's Matt Miller, draft analyst for the Mothership of where these quarterbacks would be. I think that's the general consensus is cam Ward would be after bo Nicks. JJ McCarthy is still, you know, front and center for the Minnesota Vikings, and he was asked one whether or not he's the starting quarterback in Minnesota.
Speaker 4: We as a fan base or even media found out, like, you're the guy, the the guy recently?
Speaker 3: When did you know? When did they tell you or when does that message to you?
Speaker 5: They haven't told men. I'm happy they didn't because I try to earn it every single day, and I never want that to be given to me, and it's such a privileged and opportunity to give that give me that chance, and I'm just going to make the most of it every single day.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 1: That's with Kay Adams up in Adams JJ McCarthy. Look, it might be fake humility, but it's going over well in Minnesota. So you're looking at Aaron Rodgers and saying, I guess it's Pittsburgh. When is it going to be Pittsburgh? And what do they do in the draft, because I don't know if you say, hey, we're going to bring in Aaron, but by the way, we're going to use our first round. You imagine if they use a first round draft pick, I think the twenty first overall pick on Jackson dark So he would be with a team that uses their first round pick on another quarterback. Now do I think it makes sense for Pittsburgh If you really think Jackson Dart can play, then it makes sense. I didn't know it if it made sense in Green Bay at the time, I didn't think it made sense because Aaron was playing well. He went on his revenge tour. You've never gotten in a wide receiver in the first round, and now did it turn out to be the correct call? Yes, Green Bay makes a lot of correct calls. But at the time I thought, and even when we had Rogers on after the draft, I think that's when he decided that he was going to have a larger glass at tequila. After he realized that Jordan Love the Packers have selected quarterback Jordan Love, give me a little bit more tequila in there?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 2: Poll question? By the way, good morning.
Speaker 1: If you're watching on Peacock, our streaming partner, we say good morning to our radio affiliates. What's the poll question for hour two? I can't believe there's this.
Speaker 7: Much support for Jameis Winston, but that better pregame speech guy on the Giants right now, Jameis Winston still has ninety percent of that vote.
Speaker 1: Yeah, odd that we came up with that, But we did think about who's going to motivate you in that Giants locker room when you get ready to go out and face the Eagles. Is it Jamis Winston or Russell Wilson. Let's ride p giant.
Speaker 2: We're putting up there right now.
Speaker 7: Question Paully sent over if you could put one into place A hard salary cap and baseball or a return to the old transfer system in college sports.
Speaker 2: M Well, it's a little heavy. That's just what we do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, un exactly lighthearted sports radio conversation.
Speaker 2: I went our one.
Speaker 7: You can't get much more lighthearted than Jamis Winston v. Russell Wilson. I mean, so Russ goes to the Giants.
Speaker 1: You know, the Patriots got Stefan Diggs, which is the Patriots have had a sneaky good offseason. They have the fourth pick in the draft. Worst case scenario, they end up with Travis Hunter Abdul Carter. That's not a bad consolation prize. You feel like you do have your quarterback. They had a whole lot of money to spend. They had salary cap money, and Drake may I thought, did a for a team that had nothing on offense. He made something with that team and they have added some pieces offensive lineman, defensive lineman. Now you have the fourth pick in the draft. Stefan Diggs was on his way to the Hall of Fame. He may still be on his way to the Hall of Fame. But I just wonder about you know, when you he wasn't healthy, got banged up in Houston. You know whatever happened in Buffalo where you know he ended up in Houston. Now you end up in New England, still coming off surgery. But if you look at what he did in Buffalo, here's the most one hundred plus catch seasons in the first nine years of a career. Antonio Brown in six of his first nine years had over one hundred catches with Pittsburgh. Stefan Diggs has had five, Brandon Marshall had five, Wes Welker had five, DeVante Adams for DeAndre Hopkins four, Marvin Harrison four and Keenan Allen four.
Speaker 8: Stead of the day, stead of the day, that's stat of the day. Stat of the day.
Speaker 9: Here comes that what stat.
Speaker 6: Of the Day?
Speaker 2: Brought to you by Panedi America.
Speaker 1: The official trading cards of the DP show Antonio Brown was going to the Hall of Fame. I don't think anybody had more catches over a five year window than he did. But he had six seasons. And look, I think when he got knocked out concussed by Vontez perfect, I think it seemed to change him. And I think we've seen and Tonio Brown is not a normal person. I don't know what that hit did to him. In my opinion, I always thought it just he seemed different after that.
Speaker 2: But I didn't know him.
Speaker 1: I think we've had him on once or twice, maybe at the Super Bowl one time. Charismatic dude. But times have changed though. You know when he freaked out, you know, left the building during a game. Stefan Diggs is you know, he was in Minnesota. He wanted to have and get paid, have his moment, got it in Buffalo, and then all of a sudden, Buffalo seemed to be better, you know, by you know, getting rid of Stefan Diggs. It's hard to say that about a Hall of Fame where you go, you know, the team got better because they got rid of a Hall of Fame caliber wide receiver. I don't know if any of these receivers are going to the Hall of Fame. Antonio Brown, Stefan Diggs, Brandon Marshall, Wes Wilker, DeVante Adams is probably going to the Hall of Fame. DeAndre Hopkins, Marvin Harrison is already a Hall of Famer. I don't know if catches matter, Yeah, but I haven't been in the voting room or Peter King's the only one I've really talked about what goes on in there and what they factor in, and I don't know if it's fluid when they start to look at Hall of famers. Are you looking at the same thing now with wide receivers as you did five years ago? What about ten years ago? I remember when it was man, if you get to a thousand catches, it was like ten thousand yards for a running back. I don't think it's the case in either situation. Now are we going to have? How many running backs? Are Christian McCaffrey's not going to the Hall of Fame, he said, I don't think so. Dereck Henry going to the Hall of Fame. I don't know if there's any other running back that is playing now, Like Saquon Barkley need to have three or four more great seasons, but he certainly got back on track in a big way. And you're playing in Philadelphia behind that offensive line with all those weapons. He could end up, you know, four or five fifteen hundred yard seasons, win a Super Bowl two thousand yards, then you'd be a Hall of Famer. But yeah, I start to look at these numbers and you go, I don't know what matters anymore, because for a long long time, it felt like the running game was the short passing game, that we don't need a running back, we just need a running back who can block and also catch passes. Now, all of a sudden, we got a couple of running backs who were getting fifteen, eighteen, two thousand yards, and now it's kind of back in vogue, and Ashton Genty could be one of those running backs who comes in and plays right away. When you get a comp of Emmitt Smith by one draft analyst, So when somebody says Ashton Genty, they go, Emmitt Smith with speed.
Speaker 2: Whoh I draft him?
Speaker 1: Now? I voted for him for the Heisman, but you can't go wrong with who won. But in my mind, Ashton gent what he did? You know, he led his team then you know, ended up finished runner up and he'll probably be the seventh pick overall.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Pauline, Yeah, If you look at the all time rushing leaders, active players on the list are Derrick Henry, Ezekiel. Elliott's got nine thousand yards, but he's it was all done in his.
Speaker 8: First four years.
Speaker 2: Yeah he's not.
Speaker 6: Nope.
Speaker 10: Joe Mixon is an all purpose back Saquan's at seven thousand yards, but he's more all purpose yardage. Aaron Jones, Nick Chubb, Josh Jacobs is having.
Speaker 8: A very good career. Yeah, it's early.
Speaker 10: Going back to Antonio Brown, he had a six year window where he had seven hundred catches in six years, all made the Pro Bowl every single time, and had four First team All pros. If he didn't implode and left the sport due to injury, would he get the Hall of Fame Hall pass?
Speaker 1: Well, let's say he had seven years that he played in the NFL, or even six. You know, we do have precedent here. You have Terrell Davis. Now we would always bring up Gail Sears, but Terrell Davis's modern day. You know, injury cut short his career. If Antonio Brown had an injury that cut short his career, then maybe you're not supposed to factor in anything other than what you do on the football field. The voters are told that other sports they do factor in who you are, But I also have to factor in how you were as a teammate. That's the only other aspect with this that I can look at your performance. I also have to look at you give and then you take away and that's going to hurt him. It's like Tara Owens to me, was a first ballot Hall of Famer, but he didn't get in first ballot.
Speaker 6: I don't think.
Speaker 2: What second or third time.
Speaker 1: Mar Michael Irvin, you know, to me, first maun Hall of Famer, but off the field, and they're not supposed to be factoring that in.
Speaker 2: Will they factor that in with Antonio Brown?
Speaker 6: They will?
Speaker 1: And not that Stefan Diggs is in the Antonio Brown category of disruptive. But it didn't go well in Buffalo at the end. I mean, Houston just didn't work out. You thought with you know, those two young receivers there and you bring in Stephan Diggs with that quarterback and wow, all right, you guys can challenge for the AFC title.
Speaker 11: Yes, Marvin, Yeah, And I think Stephan Diggs might be in the Tiki Barber category. Say, if the Buffalo Bills win a Super Bowl and they win without him, that's gonna hurt his chances. I think that's what hurts Tiki Barbie. If he stays another year and they win a Super Bowl with him as a big contributor, I think his Hall of Fame case is way stronger than it is now.
Speaker 1: Look at that, Marvin is hijacking Paul's Tiki Barber.
Speaker 11: I've owned that for a decade. At the end, Tiki Barber was as good as any running back.
Speaker 6: But I think I.
Speaker 8: Got the point.
Speaker 2: Mark, Yeah, easy, he got easy. You're piling on, piling on.
Speaker 8: I want to get some eighty five bears talking them.
Speaker 2: Mark, pauliar Dan is the great.
Speaker 1: Paulie thinks more highly of Tiki Barber's Hall of Fame chances than Tiki Barber does.
Speaker 6: I think.
Speaker 1: I mean, like, what do you think, Tikki? I don't know, Paulie, what do you think?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you know what he did in the last five years and fifteen hundred number of catchers. There's nobody else in America who talks about Tiki Barber's career.
Speaker 8: Maybe for a reason, we.
Speaker 1: Can't even get Tiki Barber on to talk about Tiki Barber's career. He's probably like, no, I don't want to do that. All right, let me take a break, all right, Ernie, I gotta clean up my act. I got a professional broadcaster here coming up.
Speaker 2: That's my hair.
Speaker 6: Look.
Speaker 1: Shouldn't have worn this sweatshirt with Ernie'll probably have a bow tie on, you know, be all professorial.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, look at that Ernesto. He looks sloppy, just like me.
Speaker 1: Yes, I love it all right, we'll take a break the great Ernie Johnson, Well Jonas coming up next here, Dan Patrick Show. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 4: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 12: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 9: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 12: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 4: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 12: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too. Take your phone calls chop it up as they say. I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 9: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 4: Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino on Rich wherever you get your podcast, and of course on social media.
Speaker 9: That's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 1: Coming up in twenty minutes. Synchronize our watchers. We play in or out. You're either in or out. More phone calls coming up. He's a busy man, He's a Hall of Famer. He wins Sports emmyses. Ernie Johnson Junior, the third who joins us on the program. Great to have you back, Ernie.
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 6: If I had a tail, it'd be Wagon Day.
Speaker 9: I like it.
Speaker 6: I like it.
Speaker 1: You know, when you look at the different jobs that you have now you still get to work with Chuck, but when you do March maddness, compare that to working the NBA show.
Speaker 6: Think the biggest difference is Clark Kellogg, who is He's so tied into the college game. He's a guy you just lean on like crazy because for us, you know, it's we pay attention to the college game, but our focus is the NBA. So you really need to have a guy like Clark or Seth Davis in the Atlanta studio or Jay Wright somebody like that. So that's been the biggest difference. But I think just in the terms of the vibe and how we do the show, I think it took a little while, but you know, the CBS, with their you know, with the way they do things, they kind of said, Okay, yeah, you guys can you guys can do this. You know, you guys can be your NBA kind of guys and do your show that way. And that started, I mean the first year, you know, they wanted the guys in for a for a production meeting two hours before we went on the air, and Chucks hadvice that's that's a hard no. And so so once we got through that adjustment period that you know, we pretty much we pretty much do our.
Speaker 1: Thing, but you have situations and you had it recently with Charles that he might not be watching what he's supposed to watch, and then you have to correct him. I don't know how college basketball fans react to that, whereas NBA fans like, we kind of expect Chuck to go this game sucks, but with college basketball march madness can't exactly get away with that.
Speaker 6: Oh we're able to get away with it because we still had Kenny and Clark there who could cover that game. It's not like, not like we were going to ignore it, but it was. What was funny is that he looked down like he was going to really say something, like he had made a couple of notes and then realized he hadn't watched any of it. It's like it was like a couple of years ago. Chuck has always taken great bride and his Oscar picks and says, you know, he never misses Juan And so we were talking about Best Picture, and nineteen eighteen was up for Best Picture, and so we're talking about it, and he says, I think the best picture is going to be nineteen eighteen. I said, well, tell me about it. He said, we know it's your basic you know what, I haven't seen it. So yeah, So moments like that, you're kind of you've kind of come to expect.
Speaker 1: When did you realize though, that this was different? With how social media was viewing you guys and the clips that are played over and over, like there's a seismic shift. When I did Sports Center, you watched Sports Center. Now people don't watch Sports Center as much as they'll take clips and watch them on social media. How did that affect how you guys did TNT.
Speaker 6: I don't know if it had a great effect. I know it made it more accessible for folks who didn't want to stay up till one thirty or two o'clock in the morning and watch the show, even though sometimes it would be replayed on NBA TV in the morning. But I mean, that's the world we live in. I mean that was and you're you and I are both old enough to remember DT that you know, and there may have been times where you had a you did a show and you didn't know exactly how it was received or if people thought something was funny, and the only way you knew was if Rudy Marsky wrote about it on Monday. You know, it was like, and now everything is so instantaneous. It's like you throw a line out there and all of a sudden you're getting skewered or you're getting praised, and yeah, it's just a different world. But you you don't do it for the you know, how many likes you get or anything like that. You're just doing your job and that's how we that's how we do ours.
Speaker 1: I'm glad that we didn't have social media. I just because we did it without knowing. As you said, if anybody's what, I didn't know ratings, We didn't know anything, huh huh. And I remember the first time I found out that we might be not have a following or be popular is I went to the SP's and all of a sudden, you run into Jerry Seinfeld and you run into Bill Murray and they're reciting lines back to you, and I'm like, I'll be damn, there are people actually watching this show.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, no, I know exactly what you're talking about. And I was, I was so you know my story along that Vein is being out in LA for a playoff game, and walked away shaking my head because Denzel Washington knew who I was. He's like, I watch you guys all the time. I was like, really, that's amazing. Yeah. So there were those moments that that kind of shop and grab you, and it's like, I guess we do have a lot of folks who are who were watching the show.
Speaker 1: Is Ernie Johnson, Hall of Famer, Turner Sports Studio host inside the NBA State of College Sports. I know that nil transfer portal is a topic of conversation. Where do you stand with this?
Speaker 6: I think that I think we all agreed that something had to be done and that and that there had to be a way that the college athletes who were who were making all this money for these schools needed to be compensated one, you know, some way. But then it just it just went from hey, this that's a good idea to all right, whatever you want, and it was like a zero to sixty, zero to one hundred and and so that's how I kind of look at it is that, yeah, we we all kind of agreed, But then are there should there be some limitations? Should or is this going to just price up the smaller schools out because they don't they can't lure anybody into their into their places. So yeah, I think I think just in that regard that yeah, we're we just kind of let it happen without without any regulation. And then and and the transfer portal is I would not want to be a coach, and I can certainly see where where guys like Tony Bennett and Jay Wright and others have said, you know, it's enough of this. You know, I'm gonna work my ass off and recruit this kid and he's gonna come to my place. And now I've got to keep recruiting him as he's in my program, because he's just gonna leave, you know, if he's not getting the run that he wants or whatever. So no, it's it's it's changed everything dramatic Lee, for sure. And and it's always strange to look down as I'm you know, I'm doing my numbers and my rosters and that kind of thing when I'm getting ready in the months leading up to the say wow, this kid's been in Kyle, this guy's been this is the sixth season, you know, And so yeah, that's that's kind of been the amazing part to me.
Speaker 2: Did you fill out a bracket?
Speaker 6: I did, and it's really good. Oh it's really good. I think I could have it right here. I've been in New York. I've got a two week I got a two weeks stay in New York for this. I did not go back to Atlanta and then come back in between the rounds because all I'm doing is basically working on the show. So okay, this is really good for your show that I'm rifling through here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's good radio.
Speaker 6: Let's see one, two, three, four, five, six. Okay, I got ten of the sixteen Sweet sixteen, seven out of eight Elite eight and entire final four still, which is not bad in my in my opinion, I've got I've got Florida beating uh, Michigan State and Duke beating Tennessee in the final four. How about you let that meat? Does that meet with your approval?
Speaker 1: Yeah? But why don't you let me pat you on the back? Not you pat yourself on the back that.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: I think that's a great idea. I don't know what. I don't know what came over.
Speaker 1: Like, do you have sports Emmys that you pack with you when you go to New York for you know, just so you can be unfamiliar surroundings, just.
Speaker 6: A just a few of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I thought.
Speaker 6: It's you know what, you know what's bad. It's like packing for for eight shows and two weeks up here, So I like I've been living in this all star hoodie. The whole the whole time in New York. So you didn't really expect me to get up and put a bow tie on.
Speaker 1: No, I'm glad you didn't because I had a sweatshirt on it and I go, oh my god, I got Ernie Johnson on.
Speaker 6: I live in these I would if I didn't have to get dressed up. This would be me all the time.
Speaker 2: Why don't you do a casual broadcast one day?
Speaker 6: Mmmm?
Speaker 2: You guys get to do whatever you want.
Speaker 6: Why why should we do a casual brook Why not? We have certain standards?
Speaker 2: Oh you do, okay?
Speaker 6: You know what the guys, the other guys are casual sometimes.
Speaker 1: Well, Charles is always making fun of Anthony Davis. You know, street clothes, So why don't you guys have a street clothes show?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 2: And homage to Anthony Davis?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 6: That, I don't know if it would come off as why.
Speaker 1: What's the biggest storyline the rest of the season to you?
Speaker 6: In the NBA? In the NBA, you know, I I think things are kind of looking a little bit clear cut as far as who's going to finish where and who they're who they might play. I think my my biggest question is is okay See ready for this? You know, it's because obviously they have got a squad and s g A is unbelievable. Now can you get over that hump and get to that Western Conference final? And then can you get to the NBA finals? So I think, you know, is ok c ready for this, for this step? Because we already know Boston's ready for that step? Is Cleveland ready for that step? You know? Does a great regular season translate? So those to me are the big questions because I don't see a whole lot of other folks who could win the title. You know, I can see Boston in the finals. I could see Cleveland maybe in the finals if they're you know, if they're at home and if they get a break here and there. But I you know, out West, it's okay See, And I don't know if Houston's ready for that yet. It's been fun watching them, but and you can't count Denver out if you know, when Joker's healthy. But I think the question, yeah, the question is is okay See ready for this?
Speaker 2: When do you know when Barkley is truly upset?
Speaker 6: Truly upset?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like mad don't.
Speaker 6: I don't know that I've ever really seen Chuck very mad Chuck is you know, Chuck comes in every night the same way. Hey, let's have some fun tonight, you know. And so I haven't really seen him really hot. Yeah, Shack, I've seen Shack get hot. You know. One night was when we were going, you know, he got mad because Chuck took all his time, and then he just kind of clammed up and he didn't want to talk, he didn't want to be part of the show. And and and we've had we had a night where he was late for a show, and and he and I kind of talked, and I said, man, he got a beat. Man. I left three hours ever the traffic was there. And then and then the next day he didn't even talk to me. It's like I would look at it. I looked at him working with the show, and I'm asking him a question and I'm getting three word answers, and I finally just had to do in a commercial break, just had to get up and give him a big old hug and say, man, you know I love you. You know that. You know I don't mean anything by that, you know, And then and then he was okay. But yeah, there have been a couple of times where he gets he'll get a little sensitive. I don't know how mad he'll get, but he'll clam up a little bit, and then you're then you're pulling teeth.
Speaker 2: It's like you're a parent there.
Speaker 6: The way it's been best described dad is that I'm the dad driving cross country with these three guys in the back seat saying one more peep out of you, and I'm turning this thing around.
Speaker 2: Don't make me come back there.
Speaker 6: That's exactly right.
Speaker 1: Don't make me come back there. Well, who would make you more nervous? Chuck or shake? I guess Shack, you know, given the signs make.
Speaker 6: Me more nervous. What if I if I were to pull that? Yeah, No, he's shaq Is. I have no fear of Shack at all. Shack. Shack and I have a special relationship. And he always says it dates back to when I went and did a story on him when he was at L s U and he was living in San Antonio, and he's I remember that day and night and when you can't and it really wasn't it was nineteen ninety one. But but yeah, I think I think that we, you know, we had a great thing going with that bunch, you know, we really have and so.
Speaker 2: And what do you what are you doing now? What are you going to do?
Speaker 6: What am I going to do? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Are you following everybody?
Speaker 6: Yeah? That's I mean, this is the plan. This is the plan. That's we're going to do. Continue to do the show, okay, And but it's just not going to air on TNT because the NBA on tn T is no more after after these playoffs. But we'll still do the show in Atlanta, Okay, It'll still do it with the same production croup. It'll just air on ABC, Slash ESPN on certain nights.
Speaker 1: Okay, because I think it looked kind of shaky there for a while that we didn't know what direction. You probably were left out in the cold two on this. But and then if it was moving out of Atlanta, would you continue to do it?
Speaker 5: Me?
Speaker 2: No, that was a breaker.
Speaker 6: That's yeah, that's home and it's and so yeah, I think look I can kind of see the finish line. You know. It's I remember when Don maguire hired me at Turner back in nineteen eighty nine, and he was like May seven eight years in that studio chair. That's all. You know, You're not gonna want it any more than that. Now it's been thirty five and and so there are a lot of things to do out there, and and so I can't wait for next year, can't wait to can't wait to stay with the guys. But and then we'll just see for the years after that if you know what comes up and what I what I feel like doing.
Speaker 1: Adam Lefko is listening intently on that that last dance leftgo.
Speaker 6: Adam Leftko is great. Yeah, he's really really, really solid. And so but it's not, no, do don't get this twisted. It's not like I'm going to hang We're going to hang up here and suddenly I have retired. No. You know a lot of times when you're running a marathon from you can see the finish line from a long way away. Not that I have any marathon experience, so it's not like I'm not like, I'm in this sprint and the finish line is eight meters away, and it's just that I can. When you get to this point, it's like, all right, let's see how this is looking.
Speaker 1: They will survive without us, which is amazing, Ernie. They will, Yeah, do you think the medium will continue?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but I've been told, Hey, they'll survive without you, So I'm going to take their word for it.
Speaker 2: I'm done in three.
Speaker 6: Years, all right, So you've made the decision. Three years? Yes, how old will you be in three years?
Speaker 2: I will be seventy one?
Speaker 6: Yeah, but seventy one in three years.
Speaker 2: Why don't we go out together?
Speaker 6: Wouldn't that be nice? Right? Wouldn't that that would just tug at the heart.
Speaker 1: But you go first, You go first, and then the next day I'll do it. I'm going to retire I think in Atlanta after the Super Bowl.
Speaker 6: All right, and.
Speaker 13: Well maybe we could do it at CNN Center where you Yeah, you have some roots. Yeah, now we're talking. Yes, it'll be emotional. Well, yes, yes, that'll be great. I'll do another headline sports. You know, I'll do one more for the road. Oh man, maybe we'd bring in van.
Speaker 1: Or al right and get Earle to do a CNN headline sports.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's gonna be great.
Speaker 6: Or Phil van whatever happened to Phil van Horn by.
Speaker 1: The way, I think he became a baseball coach, maybe in California, Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 6: Yeah, was my colleague and a friend of yours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Phil, then today, Yeah, I think he married a song girl from USC.
Speaker 6: WO.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you do a lot more than I. Well, I keep up on the song girls at USC. I'm just saying Phil has got it.
Speaker 6: Phil is somewhere right now saying, oh, why are they talking about me?
Speaker 2: Good to talk to you, Have fun and thanks again. Ernie.
Speaker 6: Always a pleasure, DP, Always a pleasure.
Speaker 1: That's Ernie Johnson. He is the Turner Sports Award winning studio host Hall of Fame. He'll be in studio coming up. We got basketball coming up tomorrow tomorrow night. Take a break, more phone calls coming up. We play in or out. After this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app. Always great to visit with Ernie Johnson. You know when people say how such and such, I can say, Ernie Johnson's one of the nicest people I've ever met in my life and a wonderful, charitable person, husband, father, He is always this is who he is. He's been this way, never changed. Rapid Radio is the official walkie talkie of The Dan Patrick Show. Offering national LTE coverage, no subscriptions ever. Great alternative for your kids or parents. We use them on the show all the time. Go to rapid radios dot com up to sixty percent off. Friend of mine telling me a story yesterday, and this has to do with a two famous people and they were dating each other and one's a former athlete, the other is a famous entertainer. And he was talking about, you know, when they went out they don't date anymore, but he said, yeah, you know, I called her i'my and my friend goes, i'my. He goes, yes. She could never start a conversation a sentence without saying I or me. And his nickname was i'my.
Speaker 8: Wow, oh I know.
Speaker 1: No names, but uh I I can see it now. But it didn't work out. You know, they went their separate ways. Yeah, I me, We're going to go in another direction here.
Speaker 7: So it's a little awkward too, because when your your critique of that person is like you always talk about I am me. Everything is about you, Like, can't we talk about me once in a while, And you're like, oh so you you want everything to be about you?
Speaker 2: I'my kind of win called her i'my. How about we play in around.
Speaker 1: You're either in or you're out, Paul, what's the first topic for in around?
Speaker 8: Just to recap, I'm going to make a statement.
Speaker 10: If you're in, you say in, and then subsequent Cooper Flag should stay in college another year.
Speaker 8: I'll go last.
Speaker 2: Tod h Man, I think he.
Speaker 7: Should probably go all right, Marvin out out out, So I guess that means I'm out.
Speaker 10: Sorry, Yeah, I mean I know he has to go pro to get to the second contract, the super Max and all the stuff. He did skip his senior year of high school, right, so he's already well advanced. Imagine if he did the opposite and stayed in college, it would be so novel. He'd get truckloads of coverage. He'd get bigger, stronger, and better as he entered the league, and he'd actually be seen more by basketball fans playing at Duke than he would with the Washington Wizards. No one's watching the Wizards barely. If he gets there next year. Yeah, I think it would be such a novel move in this era's for him to do it, and he'd get truckloads of cover.
Speaker 1: Oh he would, But he'd get truckloads of money when he gets to the that's the second contract in the NBA.
Speaker 8: What do you think he could asked for to stay another year?
Speaker 2: Ten million?
Speaker 8: That's that's about what the number one pick in the draft makes.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah, but that's why they go in early. So you'll get into that second and third he's gonna have. He's gonna make a billion dollars. Let's say he's he's he's legitimate, and he's healthy. He'll get three MAX deals. You get the rookie deal, then you get another deal. And he's eighteen, so he's going to get two max deals. He's going to make close to a billion dollars. But it's all said and done, all right, what else do we have?
Speaker 6: The interunt.
Speaker 10: I'm in favor of a much more stringent transfer system in college sports.
Speaker 8: I'll go first.
Speaker 1: I'm in shock er, Yeah, yeah, yeah, seatan.
Speaker 7: Much more stringent is a tough word. I'm okay with parameters, but if given the choice between lock it all down or wild West, I'll take wild West.
Speaker 2: All right, Marvin, I'm out here we go.
Speaker 6: I'm out.
Speaker 10: When I hear Stefan Diggs's name, I think future Hall of Famer.
Speaker 8: Damn.
Speaker 2: Oh uh I'm out. I'm out, pritty, I'm going to say in on that, see out, Martin out. All right, this one should be fun.
Speaker 10: Russell Wilson stay with the New York Giants will be a positive experience for everyone involved.
Speaker 2: Well, Todd out, Stan Marvin out. I'm in.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna think that it can be a pleasant experience for everybody.
Speaker 2: They just won't make the playoffs.
Speaker 6: Yees.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm team Russ.
Speaker 8: Yeah I am.
Speaker 2: I'm rooting for him.
Speaker 10: Absolutely, I think I'm in. Didn't the Steelers win ten games last year? Didn't they sneak into the playoffs?
Speaker 1: But justin Fields, Yeah, Joan.
Speaker 8: Maybe ms team up.
Speaker 7: They were actually on their way to the playoffs and something happened.
Speaker 1: Yes, indeed, two hours in the books, One more to go. Just call me imy I me we Dan and The Dan and Stan Patrick Show, Final Hour and Away