Speaker 1: Everyone knows you're fighting, but you think no one knows you're fighting. You know you need a fucking Starbucks. Now we're about to board the plane. Get a Starbucks on the plane.
Speaker 2: Calm Down with Aeron and Carissa is a production of iHeartRadio. All right, guys, we've got part two of The Big Show coming up right now. We hear about Greg Olsen's whisper fight Whisper Fight Stop?
Speaker 3: It Also is this guy quiet or loud when he comes home late night from a road trip? And last but not least, his favorite Travis Kelsey's story. You do not want to miss that and a whole lot more coming up on.
Speaker 2: The Big Show. Big Show with the Big Guy. Greg is one of the most hilarious people I've ever met. So do you want to start asking him these headline questions that we've answered before and get my man's take on it? Yes, and Greg, we love you.
Speaker 3: And for anyone that doesn't know how funny Greg is, you're about to find out haven't already because so you're familiar with the Calm Down podcast and the random things we talk about, which yesterday how we again long pulled me aside and said, you guys, gotta be real careful about Yes, we Don'tas.
Speaker 2: I go, Howie, what did we say? Now?
Speaker 3: And he goes, I go, and why are you listening to this? He goes five hours from Virginia long flight every week. He goes, Just be careful, god, dad, how dad's keeping track of us?
Speaker 2: Okay, you start? So there was an article out last week, Greg, we go for the hard hitting news about wearing socks to bed. I think I talked to you a little bit about this. Just are you a person that wears you socks to bed? Because apparently it's as bad as sleeping in a toilet. There's like cockroach feces on it. There's like all the disgusting dirt, and then people are actually putting that in your bed. Thoughts on wearing socks to bed?
Speaker 1: Yes? Or no? One hundred thousand percent No, did.
Speaker 2: You do it? Well, you're a very sweaty person, so you probably can't.
Speaker 1: Like I'm showering, I'm yeah, my daily activity. Whatever I wear throughout the course of any part of my day, there is going to be a buffer, which is a shower prior to me getting underneath the covers. There is no like go in raw dog with what I'm wearing all day and getting into bed like that's not happening. There's a shower, there's a fresh pair of pants, a fresh pair of shorts, whatever it is. Before I get pull those sheets down and get under the covers. There's nothing on my body that was worn for one minute during the day.
Speaker 2: When I get in bed, except for when you came on the road with that outfit that you wore for twos drinking.
Speaker 1: No, I'll wear it during the day, I just won't get in bed with it. So full disclosure on that on that story, because I know that made the Calm Dound podcast weeks ago. I have a So here's what I pack and my and my wonderful wife, she's the one who actually passes for me. So I'm like that guy who doesn't pack his own shit. Like when I when I open my suit the morning of the game, I have no idea what it's looking. I have no idea what it looks like. I don't have a clue with anything in.
Speaker 2: My dad cast.
Speaker 1: So I wear.
Speaker 3: Matt Lauren look and don't blame Lauren, sho's busy dealing with the twelve kids.
Speaker 2: Come on, Matt, be better, Okay, next.
Speaker 1: Anyway them, we'll save that. We'll save that for episode sixty six. So I show up in like a casual. I show up in like a casual offit when I fly in, and then I bring an outfit for dinner, and then I typically fly home if I have a chance to change after the game, I'll just put on what I flew home. And so I only bring the outfit I wear, and then I have to pack an outfit for dinner and a suit, and then like all my toiletruy shit. It's like that's all I bring. I'm a minimalist. I don't bring any extra shoes. I wear one pair of shoes. I wear them the whole weekend. I'm a minimalist. That night we went to dinner and it was in the hotel and everyone was kind of casual. So I was like, I don't need to put on like jeans or like long pants and a collared shirt. And I was like, I'm just gonna wear what I have on the problem is that was only intended to fly in. Then I was supposed to see everybody for dinner in a different outfit and then fly home in that outfit from the day before, and not see anyone. So my issue was it was a night it was a night game. So we had like a morning production meeting. So I showed up, said hide, everyone came to dinner, same outfit. That's my next day casual outfit. I'm just not supposed to wear it to dinner. So I literally saw them at four pm and until like noon the next day, every time anyone saw me, I was exact outfit. Amazing. I had toothpras and I had toothpaste on my pants. That's that's it was great.
Speaker 2: Sure you did, so it was.
Speaker 1: It was, It wasn't It wasn't great. So that's so that's that story. That's why I had on the same clothes. But long story short, No, I'm not getting in bed with anything that I wear throughout the course of the day, starting fresh, shower, clean clothes, bed start the next morning. Okay.
Speaker 3: So to give you a little context again on all these these are just questions that like Aaron and I go through. But we love a guy's perspective, so I won't even ask you the under we're inside out because that's we don't even need that for this one.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: Judging strangers and knowing their backstory without talking to them. So Aaron and I have this thing. You know, Erin very well now is having spent the last year and a half with her on the road.
Speaker 2: I will sit down at a restaurant.
Speaker 3: I will see a couple or friends or a group of people I have diagnosed. Like, the diagnostics is crazy. I'm like, I've given them jobs, I've given them or I know what the drama. Yeah, like I know what they're fighting about. I know that there's like drama in their marriage.
Speaker 2: Are you good?
Speaker 3: I feel like you would they I already know the answer to this. Are you good about assessing the city?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, absolutely, right, absolutely, I know if it's their first date, their last date, if they've been going together for a long time. Shit's good at home. Shit's not good at home. It's just a makeup date because the husband forgot her birthday. Yeah, I gotta, I gotta. And again, if you ask me, I've got nailed. Obviously, I can never confirm any of my preconceived notions.
Speaker 2: We should actually do that. We should all go out.
Speaker 3: We should diagnose someone in the restaurant and then go up to them and see if what we think is actually happening. It's only fun if we're all together.
Speaker 1: Though we think they're on their first date, they been married for thirty five years.
Speaker 3: Let's find out. Let's see how good we are at this game.
Speaker 2: I'm into do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fair enough, that's a good exercise for sure.
Speaker 2: Okay, our next one, Chris I had a mishap where she lets Steve, her boyfriend, handle the details of a friend's wedding that they went to this past summer. She didn't get all the details. She ended up thinking that she looked like one of the band members that was performing at the wedding. Is it your responsibility to properly inform your wife of the dress code or her responsibility to find out.
Speaker 1: That's her responsibility. Oh yeah, there's not a lot of And listen, I'm just speaking from my own perspective in my own marriage. There's zero logistics being done by me. Yeah, I know that I'm not and Aaron knows this. I don't know what hotel we're at, I don't know what time we're leaving for the game. I don't know I don't know who's playing Adam, Yeah, exactly. I find out who the teams are the next the morning the night before. I'm not a real heavy detail guy. So in my again, in my family, in my relationship, my marriage, my wife, is what time we're leaving, what's the expectation of the dress code, who's going to be there, what is the event for? Who are we going to see? What time we're leaving, how are we getting there? Who has the tickets?
Speaker 3: I'm doing nothing, Okay, I'm exactly the same way. Erin will text me and be like what hotel are you out this week?
Speaker 2: Or whatever? I don't know. I'm on my way. I'm literally in the car from the airport. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Whatever me. Yeah, the drivers get front that that hotel sounds.
Speaker 3: Great and the best is gonna make me give you the address. Are like, all right, we're going to one two three Orange Avenue. Mic Yeah, and that's where mean that sounds great.
Speaker 1: The driver could be taking me to an abandoned warehouse Detroit to murder me, and I'm like, that sounds great. I'm looking forward to it. How far are we?
Speaker 2: I always say that how far away? And I brought one pair of shoes and one sweatshirt.
Speaker 1: And I have one outfit, so you better not change the venue on me. Well.
Speaker 3: The backstory though, is it was Steve's friend like that was getting married, like these were new friends to me. It's his side of the aisle that was getting married. And so I'm like, hey, what are we wearing. He's like, oh, something casuals. It's a western themed wedding. I walked downstairs looking like fucking Montgomery Gentry's backup singing you didn't and.
Speaker 1: You look like from Yellowstone I did.
Speaker 2: I thought, is this Halloween trick or treat?
Speaker 3: And everyone else is in full length like gowns like it was a formal wedding.
Speaker 2: I was like, I literally had Greg. I had a hat on like you have on right now.
Speaker 3: And I looked at Kelly stef and I go, do you think it'll help if I take the hat off? She goes, yeah, take the hat off. Well I can't because the extensions haven't been washed in four days. I said, fuck it, I'm just leaving his outfit on. At one point I thought they were going to look at me for the entertainment. Halfway through the wedding to saint who's bed have these fuck that looks like incredible asshole? Okay, wait, Greg, did you have a story?
Speaker 1: I thought it doesn't involve me. But every time I think about showing up to a wedding ill prepared, I have a buddy through my brother, through my older brother, that had a buddy that went to a wedding in India. He's he's like a white guy, Like he's a white guy from you know, and he showed up to a wedding in India. So he's like, I want to be respectful of their traditions. Yeah, so he goes out and he buys traditional Indian formal apparel. Oh no, he shows up to a wedding in India the only fucking person dressed in traditional Indian garb. Every other male there is in like a suit. He I walk in and I'm this, I'm the only white guy in the whole fucking place. I'm dressed like coming a fucking movie, and all these people are looking at me like this stupid American is like mocking our culture. And he's like, little did I know? I'm trying to be respectful. So every time I think about people ill prepared for weddings, I think of that story and it makes me die. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So there was not, Uh, there wasn't an issue of disrespecting culture. It was disrespecting theme. In this particular case, we went formal and I went western.
Speaker 1: It was the theme of the wedding.
Speaker 2: It was it was in.
Speaker 3: And so it was like, hey Western, but that apparently was the night before and the actual wedding was black tie.
Speaker 2: So, standing next.
Speaker 3: To Troy Aikman in a fucking tux, I'm like, hey, want my autograph.
Speaker 2: I'm a Shania Twy and impersonator.
Speaker 3: Hi so, and and this is what makes it worse Steve doubles down is he's in a tux and he goes which should have been my first clue when as he's putting the tucks on, I'm like, hey, where's your bolo tie?
Speaker 2: Like I thought this was well that that was.
Speaker 1: Gonna be my question, like, at what point did you it was? It just the women were going to go western and like the men were going to go traditional faster.
Speaker 2: She's you, she's not good with those details. You know what, Greg, We show up and we're the entertainment.
Speaker 1: Apparently, listen what my role in the entire event is once I get there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, Okay. On a flight, do you chat with your seat neighbor or sit in silence and keep to yourself. What is your etiquette on flight?
Speaker 1: I'm overly nice when I sit down, like because I'm a window. Guys have a lot happening.
Speaker 2: When you sit down to like there's a lot happening. I know there's a lot happening. Fuck, you're sweating, you got ship everywhere. You're calling Karen. The kids say, I feel like there's a lot.
Speaker 1: I'm a window. I love sitting on the window because I don't want to have to sit in the aisle because A my leg gets bumped, and B I don't want to get up at the person in the other seat has to go to the bathroom, so I but I'm always late getting on the plane, so I'm always the second person in my little two seat, you know, a little pairing to get in their seats, so the person has to get up and let me in and whatnot. I always say hello, I always you know, hope you having a good day, blah blah blah, blah blah blah. I get that all out of the way, and then it's like headphones on and against the window. I'm done, and I'm if I'm not falling asleep, I'm pretending I'm asleep. I don't drink, I don't eat. I don't accept anything from the flight attendants. I'm I'm in the corner. I hold my pee for twelve hours. I'm not getting up to go to the bathroom. I'm not getting a drink. I'm not getting food. I'm sitting in my corner. And when the wheels hit the ground, I reappear to the rest of the world.
Speaker 2: Why don't you have water?
Speaker 1: I get my own, like bottled water. Like I'll get a snack at like the news place, you know, and I'll get like, you know, I'll get a snack and an M and M and a bottled water. But I like, never accept anything from the flight attendant. I don't know why. It could be a twelve hour flight or a forty five minute flight. Once I sit down, I'm on my own. I'm on my own deal.
Speaker 2: I don't are you Are you afraid of poisoning? What's going on? What do you mean? You don't accept? But like, what what's happening?
Speaker 1: It's a good I don't know. I don't really even have a real reason behind it. It's just the way I am. It's I just shake off. No, No, I'm good, No, No, I'm good. I just it's like he gives me a curveball and I want to throw a fastball.
Speaker 3: Worst rigmatics. I like to go slower. All right, Dogs at restaurants, okay or not?
Speaker 1: This is a tough one. Why I'm married to a dog lover. I have two dogs. I have two German Shepherds that are awesome. They're very well trained. They listen for the most part. My older dog really is good. So I have a skewed reality of like what an obedient dog is. So if you're gonna bring your obedient dog and it's gonna lay under the table and not interfere with anyone, great, and we're sitting I'm all for it. The problem is nobody trains their dogs. Nobody. Everyone thinks their dogs are like their kids, and like they're obligated and entitled to just like free roam of the restaurant, and that everyone wants to see their dog, Like I don't want to step over your dog to go to the bathroom. So if you're gonna bring your dog, fine, but that thing should be lay underneath your feet. It should not be in any of the territory of the aisles. The waiters should not be stepping over it. The waitresses should not be like kicking your dog as they serve me my food. And if you can do that, then bring your dog. More power to you. But if your dog's gonna be like a social butterfly and just have its way around the restaurant, then I'm not interested.
Speaker 2: Can you please tell your dog in the Luke Keickley story? Please tell curse of that story? Or do you don't want to?
Speaker 1: No? I would love to.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, tell it.
Speaker 1: So it's COVID. So it's twenty twenty, it's COVID spring. I'm training to get ready to go to Seattle, and Luke has since retired and he's training with me because the world has come to a stop. So I had like a small gym above my garage and we would work out in the morning. So it's early in the morning. I don't know, it's eight am, nine am, whatever it is, and only my youngest son is awake. So at the time, he's seven eight, he's young, and he's sitting at the kitchen table and he's like having cereal and I'm upstairs in the gym and Luke lets himself in the side door and he sees TJ through the windows, sitting by himself at the little kitchen island having breakfast. But he doesn't see my ginormous eighty pound German shepherd sitting next to him on the ground. So Luke lets himself in quietly. I'm upstairs, and he's like, I'm gonna scare TJ. So he comes around the corner real quiet, and he's like and he like makes a big, like startling noise to try to scare TJ. Well, my dog whose name is Tucker, my older male. He jumps into action and he stands up. You know, he's big. Now he's like and he so I hear Tucker go crazy, So I I come running down the stairs from upstairs in the gym, and he has Luke pinned up against the wall.
Speaker 2: Goes with you that don't know who Luke is.
Speaker 1: Not small, no, not small, all pro Hall of Fame linebacker, and he has Luke pinned up against my kitchen wall and he is just wo whoo whoo whoo woo woo woo woo. And what he's doing is dying. He's up against the wall like pinned, like frozen. And I come down and I give him like the friend command that tells him to just like let his guard down and go back to his little bed. And to this day, when Luke comes over our house, he's like, where's Tucker, and like Tucker has to come over, and like he'll give him a little pet, but like he he has been startled. It's like a run joke. Every time I see Luke, I'm like, hey, don't worry, Tucker's not here. He's not going to pin you against the wall.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that takes a lot to scare that guy.
Speaker 2: That's great. Great.
Speaker 3: I know you have a vacation to get to, but hold on this. I really need to know your thoughts on this, because you're such a gentleman. You're a great husband, You're a great father, You're a great teammate.
Speaker 2: These kids are so well behaved and lovely and I want Max Stole to be just like them. Yes, all of the above, thank you.
Speaker 3: But if your wife wants to go get a Starbucks and you guys are on a connecting flight okay, and you've heard the announcement like they're boarding yours now again, you get on late to the plane like I do, So this may, you know, be an indication of what you're going to say, but she wants to go get a Starbucks, and you're like, hey, we're cutting it close, like don't go get a Starbucks. But she's like, hey, yo, I'm going to I want to. So you go to the plane and then the plane is going to take off and she's not there yet.
Speaker 2: Do you get off the plane and make sure that she is with you?
Speaker 1: Or this guy?
Speaker 3: The guy left without his wife. He was like, she took too long. I told her not to go to Starbucks. What would you do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I probably wouldn't board with Outer because you don't know, it's probably been like a whisp. Sure, I probably didn't have it. The problem is I probably hurt. My boarding pass was probably on her phone. Yes, but you know, but I think if I put myself in that situation, I wouldn't have boarded the plane with Outer. There would have been like a whisper fight, you know, like a really like silent whisper fight, saying like why are you going to get a Starbucks right now? There would have been like a whisper, like a whisper fight back and forth, where like we think we're the only like everyone knows you're fighting, but you think no one knows you're fighting, you know, so there probably would have been like one of those going on. Hopefully I would have won the fight. Unlikely that I did. Ye, if there was no line at Starbucks, I probably would have hung tight. And yeah, I probably I would not have boarded the flight without her. That's that's I could prove that happened. That would be the case. But if she put us in that position, it wouldn't. The whisper fight would have escalated.
Speaker 2: The whisper fight. Is this a common Olsen term? A whisper fight?
Speaker 1: So my wife and I always had this joke, like when the twins were little, we we didn't sleep for like a year. In our again it was probably two months, but in our mind it's a year, and like we would we had this running joke that like as long as in the morning, whatever happened in the middle of the night didn't count. So like the twins went sleep, they'd alternate, you're tired, you're being mean, Like whatever we whisper fighted in the middle of the night, when we woke up in the morning, like when we when our eyes opened and it was morning time, we would like check in and be like, are we good, Like nothing that happened, nothing that happened throughout the night counted. We'd start fresh in the morning, and the whisper fights they don't count. So so that was kind of are like deal for us and it got us through like the first year of having the twins, and we've always tried to stick to that plan, Like if we're gonna fight, we got to fight, but if we're whisper fighting, it doesn't count.
Speaker 2: I just trying to get a sense of what whisper fighting is because in our house it'd be like there's such an asshole, like but I can't imagine whispering.
Speaker 1: Like what's a whisper fighting is? So like whisper fighting is like stop, you need a fucking Starbucks now we're about to board the plane. Get a Starbucks on the plane, or like, you know, when when the babies were small, it was like I'm fucking trying. Why don't you try to put them asleep? You're gonna wake up? There's this you know what I mean, Like you want to say everything, but you're talking like I'm trying. What do you think I'm doing? You know, so that whisper fighting is like not a real fight, and we were. We were on the same page with that, so that that got us. That's why we were able to get through having twins.
Speaker 2: We call that a mister and missus in our house. If you're having a fight, well we had a mister and missus yesterday. It wasn't good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, and as long as you make as long as you don't end the day or start the day on whatever that fight is, it's good. As long as it doesn't linger, you're good.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: So Greg, I'd be remissed because Aaron is very great at impersonations. She's done it of Sean McVay, she's done it of myself, she's done it of you and keV. I need you to give me your best Aaron Andrews impersonation. It could be anything. It could be on the sideline, it could be in a meeting, it could be at dinner the night before.
Speaker 2: I need you to put together and think about it.
Speaker 3: I don't want you to rush, and I'm putting you on the spot here, but this chick is great calling out other.
Speaker 2: People, so I think that you need to.
Speaker 3: Having spent the most time with her over the last year and a half on the road in various you know positions, give me your best Aaron Andrews impersonation in any setting.
Speaker 1: Wow, this is this is a lot of pressure. I this is a lot of pressure. I'm not prepared. This is a PROMPTU. I would love to hear Aaron's impression of me. First of all.
Speaker 2: Okay, Saron gomp. You know I can do it whenever it is when I don't want to say the team because I don't want to put them on the spot.
Speaker 1: But we were at I know what, you what, it's my favorite. We're all.
Speaker 3: By the way, very few people can make Aaron cry laughing. This is Greg Olsen to her on like a daily affair.
Speaker 2: Every week in our meetings. I asked him, you know how I asked you, Chris, if you took a xanax when you do our end gate breaks because you're like and the Bears are losing forty one to nothing.
Speaker 1: Can we talk about then before.
Speaker 2: We tell you why I actually do about it, let's talk about it, go Greg. So well, this turned from I need to make fun of Aaron. So now we're back on.
Speaker 1: Hey, we're going to we're going to get to Erin in a minute. But I said this to Aaron the other day actually at our production meeting. If I have a great off, a great replay, I'm like, this is gonna be a great moment of the game. You can bet your bottom dollar I'm gonna get whispered in my ear. We're gonna go to Crissa with a game break one hundred out of one hundred times, one hundred out of one hundred times. And I'm like, that was the most interesting play of the last forty five I had nothing to say for forty five minutes. I got a great play. It's not a cool point. We're gonna go to Chris on a game break, and then it's like, thanks, keV. Thanks. Here we have the Vikings, the Vikings, and the Chargers. Fourth quarter, justin Herbert going back connects Mike Williams six points, cuts the lead to twenty seven, twenty four. Back to you, keV. keV, you know what I mean, Like point three and by that point three plays have been run and no one gives a shit about my point from four plays ago.
Speaker 2: But I crying, go babe.
Speaker 3: I have to say just keV, because I want to say all your guys name, but there's twelve of you on the staff. So I can't get through up, so I just got to cut it down to keV okay, I put a side where.
Speaker 2: The game's breaks come through. Half the time, I'm not paying attention.
Speaker 3: All I hear is let's go to Carissa, and I'm quickly hoping that it's the right highlight cheat that I have in front of me, because half the time I'm talking to somebody else or saying something inappropriate and praying that it doesn't end up on the microphone. I was like, I've had so many panic moments where Terry Bradshaw's been sitting next to me and saying God knows what, and all of a sudden, I hear, let's go to Chrissa, and I'm like having to get out of his mouth because I'm like, this guy, you never know what you're gonna get. But anyways, so I said, Chrisen took like a xanax on doing those production meetings. Greg is again one of the best teammates I've ever had, and like he is in our production meetings, I just have to say this and you ask me what my favorite line is, and then he can absolutely bury me.
Speaker 2: Right now. He comes to production meetings and he's ready, like it's not a whisper. It is like I asked him this past weekend, I go, did you take speed? Like He's just like, so, we have to tell America the story. Like, we have to tell America the story. And I sit there. Rich Gross another one of my whole time favorites whom I die for and I love each other all the time with Greg because we love him so much and we're just like, like, it's insane. But Greg, last year we were talking about a defense. We had a really fun meeting and actually Greg brought us all gifts. City brought us like tequila, and we started drinking it and it was so much fun. And we allow Greg to have the floor and he sits there and he basically diagnoses the whole game. He gives us his thoughts on everything. He's mid sentence, he's like, just you know, talking to us about this defense, and he goes, Guys, I just have to tell you. He sticks his giant paw in a bowl of tortilla chips, he shut it in his mouth, and he goes, their defense isn't a real free fall. I looked like it, and I was like, I'm just ceased. They're in a free fall.
Speaker 1: That's a true story. Yeah, I'll be honest. I gave my best follow up. I had like four baskets and chips in the meeting this past week in Kansas City. I hadn't eaten all morning, and.
Speaker 2: You don't, attendant, So how could you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're not You're not accepting anything she's offering this guy, I don't eat.
Speaker 1: Airplane food with you. I guess my favorite My my favorite thing about e A is I don't know if it's much of its like an impression or like my favorite thing about e A is she knows she has like the story the interview like she has it, but as she's getting it out, it's like, listen, guys, I don't have a thing. I have no idea. I'm a mother. I'm a mother. Do you guys realize? But like she has to go through like the whole self deprecate I'm a mother. And then at the end she she like lays it out. We're like, yeah, Ea, that's your open that's your question. You know, damn well what you want to say? No one, you're the fucking best and anyone who's ever done this, like you got it, Like we can skip to that part like, that's my favorite thing about EA.
Speaker 2: It's qualifier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like qualifier, self deprecate. I'm a mother, self deprecate, self quali.
Speaker 2: And then I haven't washed my hair in a week.
Speaker 1: I have horrible acne. Have you seen my nose? It's a crater. I'm like, EA, first of all, no one has seen your zip. No one's noticed since you brought attention to it. I still don't see it. And you know exactly what you're gonna say, and it's gonna be fucking great. So like that's my best thing about EA. Like in all, honestly, this is and this is that God's on a truth. You could ask my wife she coming down here. We actually had a full conversation, like when Erin is like in the moment, like yesterday with Mahomes, there's nobody better.
Speaker 3: Immediately I was like I texted or I talked to Greg before we did it, because I was like Greg, I'm panicking.
Speaker 1: No, but like it was, but that was our pregame. She's like, guys, I can't do it. They want I can't And then she gets on air and it's like, yeah, Erin, that's it. Just do like she is. And now she's gonna be embarrassed when the when the light comes on. She is so good at asking questions in a way that comes across organic and natural and personable that whoever she's interviewing, it could be Patrick Mahomes, it could be Kelsey, it could be whoever their guard goes down. They don't feel like it's a gotcha, and she's able to ask the question that everybody will on the note, did you feel pressure throwing the ball to Kelsey knowing Taylor Swift sitting in his box. That's a hard question to ask. Whoa That's a weird question to ask. And I'll tell you what when Aaron asks it, Yeah, it comes across as so normal, It comes across as non threatening, it comes across as so fun. And that's why you get the answer Mahomes gaber, which ended up being the story of the entire game. And like, that's Aaron's gift and that's what and that's why every time she goes through that, I'm like, Aaron, stop, you know you're going to crush the question. You're going to crush the interview. I have no patience for the rest of it, you know what I mean. But like there's no one better. There's no one better framing the question everybody at home wants to know and getting it in a very personable and fun manner than Erin. And that's her gift. That's why she is so good.
Speaker 3: I concur it's all about the relationships that you have created over your yah. But I appreciate the help, like because you do sometimes it going into half.
Speaker 2: I'm like, Greg, what do I A? And what do I do? Yeah, but that's why you're good teammates.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a team effort. It's a team effort. That's the way it works.
Speaker 3: Okay, Greg, you got to get back to your alohas and mahalas say she's sleeping.
Speaker 1: I don't even know what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna what.
Speaker 2: Are you gonna go do? What do you do on Monday after a game? Like, I don't even know this about you. We're always coaching, We're always with the kids. What do you do? You don't even like crash open like an article or two.
Speaker 1: Nope, Monday is my day. I on a typical Monday when I'm in Charlotte, which is ninety nine percent of my days for two days a year, My wife and I come down here by ourselves, and we always do it the week of her birthday. So this is just by chance that two days but nine percent of our year, on a Monday, we are in Charlotte. We'll get them off to school in the morning. Well Karen and I will go to breakfast or we'll do something like that, and then we kind of go our separate ways. She us her tennis thing, I go do whatever. We just Monday is our day, my day. The kids don't have sports, we don't have practice. I don't read an article. I close out all my stuff from the week before, you know, close out all those documents on my computer, put the you know, save everything to the folder for future reference, and just have a day, just collect, regroup, whatever. And then Tuesday morning I jump back into it. So Monday, I'm not doing nothing. I can't even tell you who we're calling this weekend. I need one day a week where I'm just like, I'm not worried about a Sports Scan article. I'm not worried about a PFF report about how Mac Jones does on third and seventh. Plus, I don't give a shit for one day, I don't care, don't give a shit.
Speaker 3: Greg, you I say this, and I know we all like joke whatever, but you did win an Emmy for the best I don't know the actual category, but the best Newcomer, like whatever. The actual title is on your Emmy, which isn't it bullshe you have to buy your own Emmy.
Speaker 2: I think that's crazy, Like, here's the.
Speaker 1: Award and you have to go by I bought my. I bought that.
Speaker 2: No, I bet they give it to you. I had to buy mine.
Speaker 3: I won one for Extra and I've had to pay four hundred and fifty dollars for that thing.
Speaker 2: So congratulations, congratulations to me.
Speaker 1: I'll call Extra back and let them know I'm not interested. But maybe they payroll deducted it. To be honest with you, I had no idea.
Speaker 2: Probably you probably paid for it.
Speaker 1: As you've seen my my shelves are empty.
Speaker 2: So you and no and Ryan our wonderful producer.
Speaker 3: Because it's a great producer, it's outstanding personality and emerging talent.
Speaker 2: Okay, so here's the question. Did you when you were playing did you?
Speaker 3: Because there's all these guys that are like, oh, you know, I'll just get into broadcasting after like it's some foregone conclusion. Did you a know that you were interested in doing broadcasting after you play? Was it something that you were like, I'm going to be great at this or like sort of when did you? And you won't pat yourself on the back, because that's not who you are, but did it come naturally to you or has it been sort of this process? What's your experience so far been in broadcasting? Because the award has come, but how have you felt the process?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So there was there was no moment where I ever and this is the truth, was there was no moment where I said to myself, He's like, you know what, my career is coming to an end. I think I can go do TV. It really it never. It did not happen like that. It really was a very organic, natural, kind of random process and it really all started. So it was like two thousand I think it was like twenty fifteen offseason, either twenty fourteen or fifteen offseason. I was out in LA I was in Manhattan Beach by Aaron, visiting my buddy Ryan and his wife Natalie, and we were out there and I had done some stuff with a local regional network back when before Fox sold off all their regional networks. There was a regional network called Fox Sports South and it was in Charlotte, and I did like acc football on Mondays. I was still playing you know, Mondays. I would go into like the random studio at the Fox office in Charlotte and I would do like a recap show that I'm sure nobody watched. I don't know if, I don't know whoever watched it. I don't even know what channel was on, but it was. It was Fox Sports South was the network name. And then Fox Sports South did a show called The Panel, which was like the year god who was coming out of the draft? Sammy Watkins from Clemson was in the draft, whoever was and there was like a bunch of draft guys who went down to Atlanta. Long story short, I did like some regional stuff with the Fox regional network. And then that offseason in twenty fifteen, they asked me to come in while I was out in La visiting Ryan and his wife, to come into the studio and do like an audition game and call a game, you know, in the studio. So I went and did that, and I talked to Troy, and I talked to a couple other people like trying to get myself prepared to do it. So I went in and did it blind and that was the end of it. And then in twenty seventeen, Fox asked me to come do a game on my bye week, so I joined Charles Davis and Kevin Burkhart and I did a three men with them for a game up in Minnesota, So that was when I was playing. In twenty nineteen, Fox asked me back to do a game in a two man booth with Kenny Albert, and I did a game in New York between the Giants and maybe like the Cardinals or something like that. So it really was just like little, tiny, small stuff with regional networks and digital stuff that no one ever saw. And then Fox said, hey, come on in, which they do with a million guys, right, they do a million kind of audition type broadcast games behind closed doors that no one ever sees. And then they asked me, hey, you want to come in on your bye week and I said yeah, and really the rest was history. So really it was that twenty seventeen game that I did with Kevin and Charles Davis at the time, and that was really my first moment where I was like you know what, this Colne the game thing might be my way in. You know, sitting at the studio desk is hard. You know, those guys have gold jackets, those guys have resumes a lot different than mine. Those guys are different as far as their caliber of player, you know, and from their career. But very few guys want to call games and very few guys can call games. And that was probably my first inclination to like, if you want to do this, calling games is probably your best avenue. And I kind of that's I just kind of dove into it, and here I am.
Speaker 3: You're really good at it, and that's I mean, you know, King, there's a lot of people that will just you know, are more pedestrian sports fans, and you make it easy to digest. But also you're good at speaking to the viewer, not like they're stupid, but also informing them. It's just you, You're very good at it. So just curious if that was something that you always were interested in doing.
Speaker 2: Can I ask you? And I know we need to let you go, but I was thinking about this. I fell going up my stairs last night as I should because Kevin and I got bombed. But are you allowed when you come home in the middle of the night from games.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not. I So like the joke in our house is on the days that I'm up earlier or I get home late, I'm like, no lights come on. I'm using the flashlight to my phone. I'm like creeping in. I'm shutting every door super slow. I shut the bathroom door to take a shower. You know, I'm like creeping. I'm like a burglar. The days my wife's up before me, it's like a bomb goes off in my house. It's like every door slams, every light's on, the showers on, the hair dryers on. I'm like, what why, And she said, oh, sorry, did I wake you up? I'm like, what do you mean? Yeah, he woke me up. So no, I'm very I love to sleep, so when other people are sleeping, I refuse to wake them up. It's like it's like a thing. So I'm very quiet. I'm not waking anyone up. I'm checking all the kids doors, shutting them. I'm not kissing them to say hey, Daddy's home, like I'll see in the morning, Like you don't need to see me now. I'm I'm very quiet and conscious of other people when they're sleeping.
Speaker 2: What are your thoughts on this?
Speaker 3: I fall asleep on the couch all the time, and I like, if I fall asleep on the couch, leave me there, because now if you wake me up, now I'm going upstairs and I'm not going to fall back asleep. Like, so I probably spend five or seven nights on the couch and Steve at some points like are we going to sleep in the bed together? Like, and I'm like, look, I fall asleep down here, so leave me. So there's like a whole thing of like when he should wake me up, when he shouldn't. I'm like, never, never wake me up. So do you ever fall asleep on the couch? And no, no, no, no, am I the only one?
Speaker 1: No? My wife falls asleep one hundred out of one hundred nights. She has never seen the opening credits of a show and the fine and the conclusion of a show in her life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's me.
Speaker 1: She is.
Speaker 2: She's a mother.
Speaker 1: I've never watched it. She's a mother. I mean, she's a mother.
Speaker 2: I'm not a mother. And I fall asleep.
Speaker 1: So the joke is like if I waited for her to watch a season of a show. It would take me three years because I'd have to watch it. Then I'd have to explain to her what happened. Then I'd have to rewatch the show with her, but we'd only get through half the it. Then the next night we'd pick up the back half of it. I'd re explain the first half of it, and then we'd start episode two. I'm like, it took me a week to get to episode two. I don't have time. I'm done. I'm getting you guys don't have to watch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't have that have to watch the show together thing because it won't work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't. It'll take me a year and a half to watch episode you know, season one, a Yellowstone. The rest of the world will be on season five, and we're still sleeping through episode seven.
Speaker 2: Fair enough.
Speaker 1: It just it's not going to happen.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what we're not sleeping through. You're broadcast this coming Sunday, can't wait for don't know who's playing, but can't wait for it. Or we're going to Dallas.
Speaker 1: We're going to Dallas, but we don't worry about that on Mondays. We were about that on Tuesday morning.
Speaker 2: Okay, take the later am, take the later flight. By the way, you don't need to come so early.
Speaker 1: Be with your kids. Okay, booked.
Speaker 3: We're going to bring this We're going to bring this podcast full circle because the story that everyone is interesting it in is Taylor and Travis. I need you to give me your best Travis story that you can tell that won't get him in trouble. It's not incriminating. It's just like a fun, lighthearted Travis story. Because you guys have spent a lot of time together. You are you know, the tight End community is very close. So give me your best Travis story before we let you go.
Speaker 1: And I don't know, I don't know if it's really a Travis story, but it is a story from our little tight End thing that we do. So Travis and I and George Kittle, the three of us own this entity called tight End University, and every year we all come together in Nashville and we do like a two night, three day whatever you wanna call it, like tight End Camp, and it's a blast. Like it's in June. We look forward to it. So was it the first either the first of the second year. Levi's did at our welcome party the night before welcome and I promise this will come for full circle. They did like a like a jean jacket custom stop. I don't know what the hell it's even called. They had like in the corner of the restaurant where we had the welcome party for all the guys, they had like a little like you go, you get fitted for your jacket. You can get patches, you can get logos, you can get whatever, and then you get a jean jacket. So picture seventy five six five guys. They all look exactly the same. They all look exactly the same, you know, throughout the course of the night. I don't want a jacket. But then they have a couple of cocktails they end up with a jacket. So Kittle has this idea that we're gonna go to like Jason Alden's bar Blake, like one of the bars in downtown on the Strip, you know, downtown Nashville. So it's like Kelsey, Kittle and twenty five all their sticks, five guys, but we're all wearing matching ju jackets. So we're walking down Broadway. So good and Kelsey, Kelsey's never had a bad time in his life, No, not far behind them, So like I'm more of like they call me Dad. I'm the guy who like make sure everybody shows up to practice on time. And I'll make sure everybody like, hey, guys, you know we have Jeff to like do a meeting tomorrow and like teach these guys something like that's my job. They are social coordinators, they are the speech makers. They are the life of the party. And I'm cool with that. I'm making sure all the you know, the trains run on time. And so here we are, we're walking. We're walking into this bar. So picture twenty five six five, two hundred and fifty pound guys all wearing matching jean jackets with like tight end you Levi's like all these weird patches. It's a bizarre Yeah, it's exactly. It's like, yeah, we're Eagle Scouts and we made our like Steven Iron Arrow and we we walk into the bar and some guy taps me on the shoulder. He's like is that Travis Kelcey, Like yeah, is that George Kittle? Mike? Why the fuck are they wearing? So here I am, I'm wearing the same jacket and I'm like, you know what, dude, that's a great shadow not.
Speaker 3: Can I get a picture? Can I get an autograph? Why are they wearing way?
Speaker 1: They wearing magic? And I'm standing next to this random guy at the door wearing the same jacket with twenty other guys and the.
Speaker 3: Birds of a feather flock together. That's a group right there. I would have loved to run into the I.
Speaker 1: Don't know that. It's just a great story. Oh it's a great time. They are quite the quite the duo.
Speaker 2: They're the best. All of you guys are tight ends man.
Speaker 3: Tight ends are the best, Greg Olsen, Ladies and gentlemen, they really are. Thank you for your generous amount of time, especially on your brief holiday that you have. Thank you for bring a great teammate to Aaron. And if you don't make us all those T shirts and you guys don't have those on your crew this Sunday, I don't know what to say to you.
Speaker 1: If I'm not wearing that in my open in Dallas, I quit, Brady, Brady can have my seat.
Speaker 3: Hey, favorite tail, I know there's a lot of them. Nineteen eighty nine, the year Travis was born. My favorite album of hers, also your favorite album? You get one song off of that.
Speaker 1: Album Wildest Dreams.
Speaker 2: Whoa really mind style.
Speaker 1: I don't hate that you got that.
Speaker 2: I got that. Red. I like Red.
Speaker 1: I like wildest dream I like Red. I just love wildest Dreams. I like we out of the leit so many Greg.
Speaker 2: We were somewhere. We were screaming antihero in the car. Where were we?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: I think we're in San fran We were going to that Mexican restaurant. We were screaming at the top of our lungs.
Speaker 1: I love love Antihero.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we love you as you.
Speaker 2: Grant you for your time.
Speaker 3: And if you think we're not going to ask you again to weigh in on the male perspective of our female questions, you're wrong.
Speaker 2: You ask you again.
Speaker 1: Recurring recurring segment.
Speaker 2: Love It, Love you, buddy, See you guys. Calm down with Erin and Carissa is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.