Speaker 1: A hi family drama queens here. As you know, our union SAGAFTRA is on strike now.
Speaker 2: We are no strangers to pushing back against imbalances and abuses of power. It is the very basis of our podcast here, so we're reclaiming a really pivotal chapter in our lives.
Speaker 3: We are in full support of the strike as well as the writer's strike, and we've checked in personally with multiple representatives and have had our teams do the same so that we maintain an active line of communication.
Speaker 1: Right now, we have been given the greenlight to honor our iHeart contract, but we are taking this walk down memory lane in an old school way and encourage you to do the same.
Speaker 2: Bust out those DVD's, okay.
Speaker 1: We've signed thousands of box sets, so we know you have them, get together with friends and have watched parties like we did back in the day.
Speaker 2: This community has always been supportive and proactive whenever we've been in a tough spot, and this moment is no exception. We are grateful to you and encourage all of you to post your pictures with your box set and use those hashtags SAG after Strong and w g A Strong and We're gonna post your pictures in our feed let folks know.
Speaker 3: That you support the artists who bring you your favorite shows like One Tree Hill, And if you're able, please donate to the Entertainment Community Fund. Our fans are the very best fans, So thank you, and thank you to our reps at sag AFTRA for helping us navigate this complicated moment. We are so proud to be union members. Now onto the drama.
Speaker 2: First of all, you don't know.
Speaker 4: All about that high school drama, Girl Drama girl, all about them high school queens.
Speaker 3: We'll take you for a ride.
Speaker 5: And our comic girl shared for the right teams.
Speaker 4: Drama Queens, my cough girl, fashion mich your tough girl, you could.
Speaker 5: Sit with us, Girl Drama, Queens Drama, queise Drama, Queens Drama, Drama, Queens Drama, Queens.
Speaker 2: Drama, Queens. Hello, how was it to watch this on DVD this week?
Speaker 3: I'm obsessed by the way. There's something I got like a little spicy about it. I was like, well, am I in my petty era because we obviously are reclaiming our territory with this show, and we've clued in our listeners about how crazy current events are in our industry and how artists and creators really get boned and it's not okay. And it's felt so good to take our show back on this podcast. And then we got our DVDs and I was like, damn the man, the streamers, I'm gonna take this out and watch it on a little plastic disc. And it made me feel like we were doing something a little sparkly.
Speaker 2: When you said, damn the man. Fyi Empire Records, where that movie is quoted from, was shot in Wilmington, Like we're on those same main drag that Karen's Cafe existed. And I love that notion.
Speaker 6: Of like save save, like DVDs, save CDs, Like we had these tangible things that were eradicated by technology.
Speaker 2: And it's really sad because so many shows that were only being put on streamers have now been erased and were never put out on DVDs, so there's no way to watch those. So I appreciate that our show is old enough that these still exist.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 2: And my son thought it was so cool in retro, like he's got a record player. He is Peyton Sawyer, right, and so he sees the DVD player and it's like, whoa can I can I have that when you're done with it, don't stage us. Loved it. I loved it because it comes with like the liner notes, and I like, I don't know, I just like tangible things. That's why I like books instead of like a kindle.
Speaker 3: I also loved like, you know, when we would do events and even still now, like you meet fans at things and then they you know, they do this and it's like, hey, Hillary, willis him my DVD?
Speaker 2: And it's your kidding Will, Right. So before watching the episode I had, I had a moment yesterday. I was out with my kids and there were a group of other kids that all clearly were cousins and knew each other. And George was trying to infiltrate this group of kids, and one of the dads was really cool. He was like, hey, girls, like this little girl wants to play with you and include her. And so these kids are playing together for like an hour and a half, two hours, right, and all you know, everyone's just kind of sitting around being chill, and then the older of the kids goes off and you hear the mom who I've been talking to off and on for the last hour and a half. Yeall, Peyton Sawyer get over here, and I'm like, this lady's this lady's absolutely punking me. And then I realized, like I have a hat and sunglasses and all of that on, and I'm like, is she making fun of Like I couldn't. I couldn't wrap my head around did you say this child was? So it wasn't until Jeff showed up later that they were like, oh my god, we're so impaired. But they'd been like so wonderful to my kids, having no idea that I was standing right there. And so I meet this little girl and I'm like, hey, I'm Peyton Sawyer too, and she's just like, what in the world are you and my mom talking about? And it was such a sweet interaction and like such a good girl. And I was like, listen, Peyton Sawyer's are tough girls. But I love that we work in an industry where like your character can have kids named after them, Like, no one is naming their children after the land barons that own the studios and things like that, No, but they they are naming their children after things that are created by writers and there so for anyone out there that is named a child after our show. Thank you so much. That is like the most flattering thing that you can do. It's so I loved the Payton I met yesterday. She was awesome. She sounds like a cool kid, She's tough. I loved it, loved it. Good family, well.
Speaker 3: Well, good families, good people. Let's talk about families. Our episode this week really revolves around this, and as you all have heard us alluding to, we're watching the show on DVD because we are not supporting streamers at this time. It's a blast from the past in every way, and the family drama is high in this one season five episode eleven, You are Gonna Need Someone on your Side, aired March eleventh, two thousand and eight. Originally tell the fans what they've won today, Hillary oh Man, I remember filming this like it was yes.
Speaker 2: Do you Yeah? On the eve of Lucas and Lindsay's marriage h they conspire to get Nathan and Haley in the same room by planning a combined bachelor and bachelorette party. Jamie Sweet Jamie tries many attempts to get his mom and dad to make up. At the party, Brook arranges a hot blind date for Peyton that's why I remember this so well.
Speaker 7: But the joke is on her, as Owen's chosen mate is Chase Brook's former clean teen lover love that they put I'm so uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: Rachel returns to Tree Hill, only to be pushed out by Victoria, which pushes Brooke to her breaking point. Yes, you're absolutely right. This is a family episode. I think we did that really really well. Which family do you want to start with? Oh?
Speaker 3: Man, I mean it's it's a bummer that we don't have joy this week because our schedules have just been so crazy all and she had something come up today. But it was such a good episode for Nathan and Haley. Yeah, and I kind of want to jump into that dynamic right off the bat because I saw it differently at this age than I saw it then. And I loved skills in this episode. I loved the dynamic that he had really looking out for Jamie. I thought a lot of it was really great. But I have a little bone to pick. They do it and listen. Of course, especially when kids are young and there's tension in a family, you have to figure out a way to protect them their children. They have these little developing brains. They need care and safety, they need to know things are going to be okay. And I was a little bugged that there was this idea that somehow, in particular, Haley wasn't being a good mom because she was and just letting this thing roll off her back, this potential infidelity. This you know, the woman kissed you and was nude in front of you and got in the shower with you, and clearly something's going on to egg her on. And we've watched the something going on for a long time now.
Speaker 2: And I don't know.
Speaker 3: At this stage in my life, I was like, I don't like that Hailey choosing herself, even if she's going to choose to do the work on her marriage, that her needing a moment of space is essentially being convoluted with her being a less than mother.
Speaker 2: It really bumped me. I feel exactly the way that you felt, because I was like, oh God, this hits different as a grown up, because I think when we were kids, we all read the script and we were like, oh, man, Nathan's really fighting for this, and like Jamie is fighting for like everyone is fighting for it except Haley, and we knew all the information. We knew that Nathan had rebuffed the girl's advances and was in kind of like a complicated situation and had tried to be a good guy and then get rid of her and all that kind of stuff. Haley doesn't have any of that information. All she knows is that this person keeps putting the safety of their family in danger over and over and over again. And as an adult, it's like yeah. And as an adult, there's this moment at the party where Jamie is just like, over and over and over again, like Mommy, can we play? Mommy? Can we play? Mommy? Can we play? Mommy? Can we play? And boy, I have been in that boat. And I make a point of playing barbies with my daughter at least once a day. But if you ask me eight thousand times, I'll lose my mind like every other person on the planet, Like, I don't know. I don't like that that was vilified.
Speaker 3: I didn't either, and I really could. I could see my younger self having this almost like Pollyanna feeling about, you know, make it right and do the whatever. But yeah, the fact that last week all Nathan said was I wasn't even into her, Like, no, you have to sit down you have to have a conversation. You got to run you got to run through it. You got to, you know, talk about why because of how your kid feels. You didn't want to make it awkward until it got awkward, and then you told her to stop, and you thought she would like, you really have to let your partner in on reality and care for them. If you don't care for each other in the same way, you're never gonna make it. And my god, as an adult sitting here understanding how complex it is to be in relationships, I was like, ooh, I don't like the way that the woman got treated in this whole dynamic because she literally is the innocent one here.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, for those of you guys who haven't seen the episode, it starts with Nathan sleeping on the couch at Lucas and Lindsay's house, and then there's like this very weird kind of reference to like why he's not in a bedroom. It's like, oh, I haven't cleared out my mom's stuff, so you have to sleep on the couch. It was, it was weird, It was very uncomfortable. But then Nathan makes a point of saying to Lucas while they're playing basketball together. He's like, I got nothing going on. I'm sleeping on your couch. I got nothing going on. And in my head, I'm like, a week has passed. We know that. Why hasn't his mother written her a letter? Hollo, Why isn't he sat down and said, point by point, I know you're mad about this. This is the reality of what happened. This is what I tried to do. This is what she did. Why hasn't there been a restraining order like filed against that girl? Like, if I'm him, I go and I file a restraining order just to show my wife, like I don't want this around. There is like work that you can do over the course of a week, and Nathan instead playing in basketball the River cour insane.
Speaker 3: Insane, Yeah it was. It was really no effort on his part. And then she gets you know, she kind of gets her ass handed to her a little bit. I will say, you know, divesting from how I feel about the way the story was carried out. God Skills was so good in that scene. Antoine delivered that so beautifully. I was like, give that man a show immediately. I guess when the strike is over and nobody's working but god, he was so great, and I loved the points he made about, you know, the way he's showing up for this kid that he cares about, and how potentially the drama between the adults is making them forget a little bit. But I was like, she hasn't forgotten. All she's done this year is fight for this family.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm and ugh.
Speaker 3: It bugged me. He was beautiful, but it bugged me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he took what he was given, and I wish he would have had a similar conversation with Nathan where he was like, exactly, dude, do the work. Do the work. We're all here to distract your kid while you're sorting it out. All your friends love you, we will take care of Jamie. But like, do the work.
Speaker 3: You gotta do the work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Why didn't they have that.
Speaker 3: Conversation with him. I don't know, But this is what I mean, is I see it now? And look, it's no secret that we had issues with the way that many of the writers on our show treated women on our show. But God, that it's only her who gets the kind of end of the stick over and over again doesn't feel good, especially when they've grown Nathan into this character who really does show up for people and who will have hard conversations and who will you know, really put himself on the line. And all that he said is I'm not even into her, Like I just can't. It's like he's it's like he's fifteen again.
Speaker 2: Didn't he write Dan Scott a letter in prison? He went out and bought stamps to send Dan Scott a letter and send him his child's photo. He can't write his wife a letter and be like, baby, come on, baby, uh, if there are boys listening, if we're mad at you, write us a letter, like, just like, make it really clean and focused to the point, and just explain yourself so that I can pick it apart.
Speaker 3: I want to be able to reread it. Yeah, points made come up with counterpoints.
Speaker 2: I do love that both Nathan and Haley totally know what Lucas and Lindsay are up to in this episode. They're like, yeah, we absolutely knew that you guys were padding. It's the least subtle set up ever ever. Also, why is the party at that happening? Like, girl, that's it's if it were at a neutral location. And Haley came in and Nathan came in and the setup happened on like neutral turf, makes sense. But she's the one that had to clean the whole house before the party happened. You know, she's gonna be the one cleaning up all the empty cups and like doing all the dirty work after, and so she's expected to do the emotional labor and the physical labor. It's sucky. Hello, Yeah, she just wants to like go to bed and watch Dateline and drink a glass of wine. Leave that woman alone, Give.
Speaker 3: Her a glass of red God and some socks. Let her go, I will say, because there was obviously no pay off with that surprise, because everybody knew what was going on. I Hillary, I forgot. I did, but this was the episode that Stephen came back. I forgot about the chase. I had no idea. I was like, oh, one's gonna have a friend, Peyte's gonna get set up. And the door opened and I gasped on camera.
Speaker 2: And in his house, I went I loved it, because I loved it. I was with my boyfriend for the first five seasons of One Tree Hill, and when we broke up, the first thing I did was go home and like kiss anyone from high school that I had an outstanding crush on. It was like you line up, come here, like this needs to happen. And so I loved the Chase showed up because there was unfinished business there. He was such a good guy in season four, like I loved him in season four standing up for Brook, like sticking with her.
Speaker 3: He really did evolve into such a special guy. Yeah, and Steven is just so sweet and he's so enjoyable to watch, and it was it was fun to have him back and fun to have that scene with the four of us in the car where Owen's putting it all together.
Speaker 2: That scene was so fun. It was so fun because it was so real, Like, yeah, I know that we've walked through these kinds of points before where we're like, hey, remember that thing that I told you about? Right right? The realization on everyone's face is so fun. And I love that they immediately felt like friends, Like it didn't It was not hard to imagine that they'd been bros for like years. How do we think those two men?
Speaker 3: It's so weird, But you know, part of me is like, well, was Chase bartending or you know, like are they college friends?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I like to imagine that they met like in one of those dorky adult kickball leagues, and they don't choke.
Speaker 3: I just I just almost made my smoothie right out of my nose.
Speaker 2: No, but you know what I mean. Oh my god, those were such a big deal in the early two thousands, Like everybody was in a I'm in a rec league kickball club, or we had remember our crew was on a dodgeball league and we would like play competitively.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what I really like. I like when I'm driving through the city at night and I see like a soccer league, like an amateur soccer league. I'm always like, I want to pull over and go play with those people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what are they about? I passed little league fields with Gus yesterday. Gus was like, can we just come and watch a game? Like there's something kind of voyeuristic about watching people revert back to childhood and just be their most primal selves. Yeah, that's how I want to believe. Chase and Owen know each other.
Speaker 3: And there's a fun dynamic at work in this episode that feels like that. Because Brooke gets pulled back to high school, Peyton is being pulled back to this high school love with Lucas, you know, even Chase asking you you know about him and like do you still love him? And then he kisses you. It's like it's all it all feels like high school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Haley and Nathan too, I mean they go all the way back to like I shouldn't have tried to change you. Oh my god, Like if she had had that realization junior year in high school of maybe trying to change someone isn't the best deal. Like this whole show doesn't happen, the whole thing. I love a walk down memory lane and the idea that, like the idea that you can go back home and you can engage with the people who have known you forever, and you can develop new feelings for old people.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I I can only speak from experience, but I love staying in touch with my friends from high school. And I love when they're like all married to each other. And I love when they're like our kids are old enough now that they also hang out and I'm like, oh my god, if there's another generation of like perfew high school kids kissing each other, I am just going to be so happy, like it just yeah. The crossover between fact and fiction is delicious. No. Haley saying that I shouldn't have tried to change you was my favorite part of the episode because that felt the most real and the most grounded because she really did. She worked on that dude for years. Remember he was like watching porn on the internet when they were like first together and Peyton videos and hooking up with her sister. He's doing crazy stuff. Yeah, I get it.
Speaker 3: You're right. I think that was my favorite line in the episode two. And it is the reality of that, the sort of graveness of saying everything in such a simple sentence. I love you and I'm not going to do this anymore. I love you, but not enough to be tortured in my home. I you know whatever, whatever, the sort of energy underneath it, it feels big to say I just shouldn't. I shouldn't have done all this work. You are who you are and oh man, it really that got me.
Speaker 2: And she's like and it's okay, Like go be that guy, be the guy that has girls running around naked, Like, I just want you to be happy, be free, my friend. There's nothing worse than an apathetic woman. As long as a woman still hates you, you've got a chance but the second she turns to apathy, you're like.
Speaker 3: Oh, oh yeah, apathy is the stage you want to be in when you realize you're done with something, because you go, oh, I'm not affected, I'm just done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so clear. Maybe that's what I liked so much about Joy's performance is that she was just so clear.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was like, look, I see how much work everyone's putting into this, Lucas Lindsey change their whole game plan. You obviously showed up tonight thinking we were gonna have some happy reunion. I'm gonna be polite to you, but no, all your friends are in on this, our child is in on this.
Speaker 8: Feeling very clear, Yeah, it's just brutal. Clarity is such a gift. And I think, you know what, I think it's that clarity that feels so real and authentic that made me feel really irked about the the other stuff that we were talking about at the beginning of the episode, because we got honesty about this sort of a situation, but then we also got this weird glossing over of it and shame for the woman, and I just went, oh, it bogs me because you did part of it so well, what if the other parts had been done this well, the only.
Speaker 2: Thing I can think is like, Haley is not a pettych like I am, and has it like has it amplified this right? Like if it's me, I'm getting all my text thread and I'm like, y'all motherfuckers better stand by me because you have no idea what he did and blah blahlah. This is this this Haley clearly is above that and hasn't told all of his boys the dumb that he's been doing. And they haven't really asked either. It's not like Skills has gone to her and been like, what, maybe what's going on? What happened? How can I support you?
Speaker 3: Wait, I'm dying to think about you doing that in a text thread. I would never I I am at a point where like, I mean shit, I think sometimes with friends like us, you know where you're at a distance, so we catch up like we get on a FaceTime, we do it, and so we really dive in. My friends at home sometimes are like, you can't tell us about things when you've already solved the problem a year into it, Like you have to, you gotta tell us in real time. And I'm like, I don't know how that works.
Speaker 2: They want to workshop the problem.
Speaker 3: I'm in my little crabshell, in my little cancer crabshell, and I'm like, I'm in here figuring it out, and I'll come out. I'll come out of the rocks when I'm ready.
Speaker 2: No, my trauma response is to turn everything into like a narrative. Yeah, let me just tell this story, tell you right?
Speaker 3: He did? I love that?
Speaker 2: Yeah. No. I like to weave a tale because then there's a little bit of distance. Then it's like softened. When you keep something like deep inside in a secret, it's like, oh god, this is yeah painful, this is hurty. But the second you turn it into a funny anecdote over like a drink, it doesn't hurt as much anymore. And so Haley could do She should do that. She should just go out drinking with everyone. Yeah, and be like, let me tell you a tale of your friend Nathan. Yes, m she's too classy, what a bum out?
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm telling you. I'm here for the Petty era.
Speaker 2: I love petty Man, and I never grow out of it. I'm that high school again. I just love staying in touch and acting like I'm still fifteen. I'm gonna write a note and fold it up all cute and tell you about all the crazy shit that's going on.
Speaker 5: I like that.
Speaker 3: You know who is the scariest petty bitch? Victoria?
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was.
Speaker 3: Horrifying in this episode. Like I want to know if she was okay when we shot this. I feel like it would have been so hard for her.
Speaker 2: Well, because we know it's informed by this fierce protection of her daughter. Yeah, but there's something darker here that's like what happened to her? Yeah, Like who screwed her over so bad that she's convinced the same thing is going to happen to Brook.
Speaker 3: Yes. Well, and why do you have to win so badly that you want to win if it means somebody winds up overdosing destroying, like you want to push someone into self harm to prove a point. It is so dark it takes my breath away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Brooke is doing the same thing that Hayley's doing this episode. I really love the parallel of I'm in a toxic situation and I might really love this person, and I might really want this person's attention, and I have enjoyed the good times, but we have reached the end of this arrangement, like, yeah, it's heavy, We have reached the end of this arrangement. Oh man, can't you imagine Nathan and Victoria just drinking together being like, so you got the boot too, yep to your arrangement?
Speaker 3: Cool, same, same.
Speaker 2: Same, No. I mean like Victoria was so like like mustache twirling evil. This was her Dan Scott moment. It was like, I'm going to destroy you at all costs. And it made me wonder, like, what did Rachel do? What did Rachel do in the year before. We had a great moment of mill in this episode informing us like, oh, I know Rachel and she describes a person that we haven't gotten to see. But girl, what was your what was your sense memory? When she said I've had to guard the door? I was dying.
Speaker 3: Oh Hillary, it took me right back there. I was like, we had some times.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, explain to the folks at home who weren't born When Bungalow aid was around.
Speaker 3: Bungalow eight was this very cool club in New York. You needed a key to get in, or to know someone who had one who would bring you it. It opened. Essentially it became a big deal in the later seasons of Sex and the City, it was like one of the clubs Carrie Bradshaw went too, and then we started our show, I mean so quickly after and Bungalow eight was still very hot and we were going there and it was very you know, to be a young twenty something in New York and be like this is her spot and now I'm here. It was naughty and viby and really fun.
Speaker 2: It was naughty, you know. There was like celebrity in the early two thousands was very different than it is now because there was no social media, and the paparazzi was like, like that was the peak of their power because they were the only people that could get kind of these candid interactions with famous people. And it was the rise of like, you know, socialite culture in New York City. And so there were so many of these kind of bungalowit places that were velvet rope clubs where like you could not get in unless you had some pull. And now looking back on it, I'm like, y'all, mother firs want me to stand in line for a thing. No, no, no, I will go to a dive where I just walk in and go straight to the bar. I don't want to have to be on a clipboard. Don't look for my name. But at the time it was serious business and the idea that Rachel Rachel of course would be a part of that scene, of course so spicy.
Speaker 3: It really tracked Who.
Speaker 2: Do we think Rachel was in the bathroom with. I'm so curious if you had to pick two celebrities for Rachel to have hung out in the bathroom with.
Speaker 3: It's like, in my head thinking about Rachel as a model in New York and the fashion Week scenes there, I feel like it would be like a model from one of the shows, and then an actor who had sat front row, like some handsome guy who was sitting from a row at Calvin Klein and a Calvin Klein model.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember what a big deal. Like Leonardo DiCaprio and Toby maguire and David Blaine their little club was because they would always have a corner table in all of those kinds of clubs, yep. And I remember being told like, don't go near that car, like they are just there to pull chicks. And I was like, yeah, oh weird, interesting, not my energy. But we know that Leo loves models. I'm sure Rachial track she would have had a moment at least just like a real flirty night with him.
Speaker 3: Yeah. That actually, I didn't think about how connected those moments were until you just said that. But that moment where she hits on mouth, aside from being the most ridiculous thing that was written by a man, I could just really use the release. I'm like the relief No, no girl has ever my God, but you know, her hitting on him and him having the wherewithal to say, you can have anyone you want and anything you want, but you don't know that you need to know that. It is interesting that he knew to remind her, potentially because of what Millicent shared with him, potentially because he got he got a window into who Rachel was, you know, at her quote unquote height, you know, her prime as she might define herself, like her most successful and he's just like, none of that matters. Actually, and I thought that it was really a nice moment.
Speaker 2: There's a discovery process to realizing that none of that stuff matters. Because when you are young, everybody wants to be invited to the party, of course, right whether you're in high school, and there's like the party happening after the football game, and like who gets invited becomes like a big deal. You go to college, I still.
Speaker 3: Want to be invited. I don't want to go, but I want to be invited.
Speaker 2: But that's the discovery process. It said, we all want to be invited when we're young. Well, most of us want to be invited when we're young, and when we were young, those velvet rope clubs were like the thing to do, and we have gotten to go through the natural discovery process of being like, oh, we did it enough to realize it wasn't fulfilling, It wasn't that great. You know, there were parts of it that were actually kind of creepy and weird. Rachel doesn't get to do that because she's cut off. She's dismissed from the party, and she's been dismissed from high school parties on our show. She's now being dismissed from the cultural party that is New York City it and now she's being dismissed from like the one thing she's always been able to do is like pull a dude, and how many times can you punch a chick? Before she reverts back to her bad coping mechanisms. Yeah, I thought for sure she was going to take off when Mouth rejected her, and she doesn't. In this episode, Mouth rejects her and she stays there, even after getting a text message from some old party buddies like hey, let's get messed up. And I thought that was a really important thing to show that she took a hit, and she stayed on the couch and she just took a nap. And it wasn't until Victoria showed up and really pushed and pushed and pushed and pushed that she fell apart. Yeah, I don't know. I fully expected her to leave when Mouth was like sorry, and she did it.
Speaker 3: She did it, and I liked that. I liked her saying I'm going to beat this. You see, you see the effort she's putting in. You see that she wants to be different. And in a way, I think that's what Victoria sees too. She can identify it, and she lasers, she layser focuses on it to eviscerate that hope, and it's it's just so.
Speaker 2: Dark, yeah, and it it becomes like death by a thousand paper cuts the episode, because you know, there's the whole conversation with Brooke and Rachel where it's like, hey, I know you gave Peyton a shot with her business. Can I model again? And Brooke has to tell her, like, baby, that wasn't the offer, Like sorry, you misinterpreted this. Yeah, I and it it's just a hitter hit after hitten. And then Victoria is a tsunami, like she just wipes everything out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she really does. She really clears the dining room table. But I loved the scene. That's the one that I really remembered shooting that scene with Danille and I. I loved that they gave me space to be gentle with her. You know, so often on an ensemble show, an important moment happens in like four sentences in a scene. And the fact that we got to sit and talk and you really got to see Brooke taking Rachel through her own logic. I don't want to put you in a scene that's been bad for you. Yeah, it's it's temptation everywhere, it's dangerous. Let's do something else. I'll support you in another way. But it's of course it's crushing for Rachel to realize that she's just not going to get what she wants. Or what she thought she was getting.
Speaker 2: I have strong sense memory of shooting that scene between Peyton and Rachel out on the deck because it was kind of this sense of like, we're giving you your friend back, We're giving you your gift back, right, And I was so like, oh, she's here, fantastic. It felt like a dangling carrot, like you want this, and I did. I was so happy to have her there, and then we were all I remember all of us like hanging out in the apartment set because that scene where Chase first shows up and it's Rachel, Brooke and Peyton, Yeah, really enjoying it so fun. I remember that so well because it felt like high school again. I felt real. It was like the gang is back together, and that energy I think is a tease for the audience because they're like, oh my god, we're gonna have the girls, like the cheoting squad back together. And by the end of the episode, Rachel is caput. She's gone. I know.
Speaker 3: It makes me so sad. I thought about that for you. When I saw you walk out onto that balcony, I was like, Oh, they're having one of those moments like where they give you your real life friend on screen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was no reason for that scene. Yeah, Nune No. I had a great time. I had my friend back. In this episode. I got to kiss Kaletti a couple times.
Speaker 3: How is that?
Speaker 2: That was awesome?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 2: It was so weird because it was like he and I were buddies, and I didn't want to be like a creeper, but I was really excited to kiss someone new because I've been doing so much belly ache and over Lucas that I was like, yeah, maybe this will be a thing, and then it clearly wasn't. But I like that they're being cool with each other in that way. I like that they both like Peyton finally has someone that validates like, hey, it's okay, like you can still have a crush on that person because I have a crush on Brook.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Cool, I feel like having a cohort in a way. I was into that. I like that. And then later later in like season six, life imitated Art because I got dumped by this dude I was seeing and Colletti is who took me out and like we went out to a bar and he's such a good wingman. He was just like, I am not going to let you wallow in this we are gonna dance and we went to go see Bibbis sing, oh yeah, yeah, he's a good wingman. He's a good, good party buddy when you're down and out. So yeah, I I think that moment at the party was great, and I think that there's still a spark between Brooke and Chase. Is that what the plan was? Were they gonna remove Owen and like, have you hooked back up a Chase?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I really don't remember. I don't know if maybe it was like like was Joe was true blood in the mix at this point, like did we know he was leaving?
Speaker 2: I feel like there was a tingle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. That's sort of what I what my brain is pulling up. But I don't know if the timeline is accurate or not. They would always just be so mad when guest stars would get other work. So maybe I'm a little truck.
Speaker 2: We're not going to offer you a full contract, but but we will be thoroughly pissed if someone else hires you.
Speaker 3: I was like, you know, these people have bills to pay, right, Hello, that's why we're still striking.
Speaker 2: You two are so cute in this episode.
Speaker 3: Oh, Joe and I are Stephen and I.
Speaker 2: You and Joe You sitting in his lap eating birthday cake. Oh my gosh, wasn't it. Yeah? Yeah, it was so innocent.
Speaker 3: Yeah. We always had like a very easy chemistry. And Joe is so kind and he really he's got that like protector energy.
Speaker 2: You would have to at his size. Can you imagine I'm not having protector energy? But Joe just always.
Speaker 3: Made me feel really safe, and you know, we were in an environment where we didn't always feel safe, and it was easy and it was nice. And you know, he wasn't one of those guys who like showed up at work trying to hit on everybody. He was like a good dude.
Speaker 2: He was probably the most platonic dude that we ever had come on the show. Like, yeah, I never feel any weirdness from him ever ever ever.
Speaker 3: Truly such a like good sweet dude. Oh I wish we had I wish we had a little mole in the writer's room because I would love to know if they were putting him in his place by bringing Colletti back, or if they were just trying to figure out how to bring Colleti back because we missed him like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know either, but it feels pointed. It's a great story point. I love it. I love that it puts Brooke in the same position that like Lucas is in, because it's like, we've made so much fun of Lucas for how poorly he's doing in this situation, and so it's like, well, let's see if a woman can handle this any better, and so far, so good. I like that Brooke is just like, hey man, what do you want from me? I'm adorable. Of course they're all in love with me. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I like that tactic, and I like that I don't know. I just like the energy between Peyton and Brooke in this episode. I feel like we were so in lockstep with one another and everything felt really safe, and even when we're making jokes about like oh I'm gonna kiss your boyfriend whatever, it's easy, it's fun. You know that they're taking care of one another. So I'm going through here and I'm looking at my notes about what I remember from this episode. The Lucas and Lindsay stuff is sweet in this episode. I like the idea that she finally makes the connection for all of us because I hadn't thought about it before. Where She's like, if my dad and uncle Keith were hanging out at a bar in heaven, what do you think they would talk about? Like that's a connection point that we really haven't seen addressed on the show. And I like that she does that for us.
Speaker 3: That like ruined me. I needed to search for a word. It just and again we've talked about this gap between our life experience then and our life experience now. It hits different now because we all have those experiences. We think about those things, We think about the people that we love that aren't here anymore, and are they all together somewhere? Like oh, and I don't know it. I went from like watching the episode taking notes to just like choking on an ugly sob it really it just got me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a connection point for the two of them. That's really serious, because to lose a parent is awful. To lose a parent in your teens, in your early twenties, before you get married, before you have kids, before you hit all these like professional milestones, before before like all the stuff is a pain that thankfully not everyone knows. And so to find another human that gets it and can hold your hand through it. I like that Lucas and Lindsay have each other. That's a great connection. It was a connection that he had with Peyton, you know, So it makes sense if it ain't broke, don't fix it well.
Speaker 3: And I think there's something as a viewer, you know, who's not in the dynamic of that relationship and that triangle for the three of you. As as beautiful as the question is and the ensuing conversation, you can't help five years into this thing when you've been rooting for Lucas and Peyton having that little itch going. But Keith and Peyton's mom, like they've shared this stuff already. This this is new for Lindsay, but you know it's not for him because of you, and it's and it's a I don't know it really it put me deep in my feelings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh I loved the moon bounce. Let me just tell you how much I loved that moon bounce because we got to have it for the duration of filming and so we would wrap work and just bounce in the moon bounce. The idea that this kid through this party is fantastic because I like all the things that five year olds like and yeah, I like that it worked out this way because then our crew got to actually use all of these party things, Like someone had to eat all that cotton candy. It was us amazing. Yeah, grown up moon bounces should be more of a thing.
Speaker 3: I'm so into it, like and look, I was a camp counselor. I love watching other people's kids. I also shamelessly when there is a moon bounce at a thing, I'm like, I'll watch the kids.
Speaker 2: I want to get in there. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, let me in.
Speaker 3: I got I got it, I got it. You go get a beer. I'll be over there with.
Speaker 2: Them, dude. I volunteered for field day at my son's school and they had all these inflatable things and one of them was a slip and slide, but it was like two slides, so you were racing against the person next to you.
Speaker 3: That's so fun.
Speaker 2: And one of the teachers was like, do you want to race? And I did, I really really did, but I wouldn't do it. I was like, no, I have to be the adult here. Oh man, no, I couldn't listen. Listen, I'm an authoritative figure with those seventh graders. I gotta be an adult also, I just didn't want to be wet all day. Yeah, with kids, Like if it was like a grown up party and we were drinking blue Moon and having a good time, Like yeah, yes, but like hanging out in the school baseball field. No, I don't think that, not for me, not the vibe. No, but it did seem like a dope party. And remember what a big deal Guitar Hero was. Oh well, we.
Speaker 3: Were all really playing that at that stage. Remember that's when we all got the consoles because of jack So everybody got a we everybody got a Guitar Hero. We had it in the office and it it The fact that it worked its way into the episode I thought was very sweet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it. That's how you knew we were also in a writer's strike, because they're like, what can we just farm? Real? Yeah, we know that Jackson's into this. Jackson's performance in this episode is my favorite because I have a five year old and I saw so much of my daughter in him this episode, especially in the scene where Brooke and Owen go to his bedroom and he does this real sly little is this your boyfriend? Yeah? And that's exactly how my daughter asks questions. It's always like, hmmm, I'm suspicious of you.
Speaker 3: That's so cute.
Speaker 2: I love a suspicious child.
Speaker 3: I do too, and I love this whole phase. Getting to be Jamie's godmother was just the best I had the best. Season five was so fun for me.
Speaker 2: Frankly, I'm surprised that brooken skills never get together because they're the most like pro Jamie godparents. That would have been an interesting turn.
Speaker 3: It would have been fun, just.
Speaker 2: A little like let's play house. We both love this child well. I think that Jackson had to do a lot of heavy lifting here, and he.
Speaker 3: Did, and he did it really, really well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he's not being a brat with his mom, but he's be needy. Yeah, and there's a fine line there, and I feel so much for him while also being like, hey, moms need a minute.
Speaker 3: Yeah, give her a minute.
Speaker 2: But the thing that got me was like Nathan's having all the fun with the kid because he's glossing over those big questions and Haley's so honest with Jamie in the episode and it's like, baby, I don't know the answers, I don't know the answer, and Nathan is like, yeah, I sure, hope I get to come home right after Haley's told him like you're not coming home, like we're done done, and so yeah, this poor little boy is getting very mixed messages. Yeah, but he gets to he gets to bounce. They got a party out of the dude. Well. How did we feel about the scene between you and Victoria? Because that was epic.
Speaker 3: I just felt like it was such a long time coming. I it's visceral for me remembering that, and I don't know, in many ways, I feel like getting to stand up to her as Brooke in that moment was also cathartic for every time I've never stood up for myself in my real life. You know, I don't know it does it feels like it feels close? What was it like for you watching it?
Speaker 2: Like, I don't know if I can talk about it, you.
Speaker 6: Talk about it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: What I loved is that she's she tells Brooke over and over again. She's like, brook you have to remove emotion from business. You have to remove emotion from business, not realizing that the only thing keeping her in Brooks business is emotional and so the second that Brooke takes her advice and removes the emotion from the business, She's gone, Yeah, I just loved that little turn where it was like, all right, I'm gonna do exactly what she told me to. You win, You're gone. That's the kind of emotional docy dough I want in my series. I'm like, yeah, you got what you wanted.
Speaker 3: Suck at Victoria, I I got a lot.
Speaker 2: What are we missing? What else? What else happened?
Speaker 3: Oh Peyton, seeing Lindsay in her wedding dress was a moment.
Speaker 2: Girl. Was it weird?
Speaker 3: Did you have like do you feel jealousy about it because like and Lucas or your territory? What did it feel like?
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm sure at the time I felt like it was weird, like oh cool, I'm sure that's fun for you. Then you're a ball gown. But now thinking about it, I'm just really glad I didn't do that like tucked ball you know that like kind of like tucking. That's not like the skirt of the ball gown that was very two thousands. Bridal fashion is so easy to fuck up. And so while I love it for Brooke Davis and closeover Bros. That she got to design this dress, aesthetically, it was not a Peyton vibe. It's not a vibe I would have.
Speaker 3: Worn, not my vibe aesthetically either.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was like a it was like a like a a fake pinning that was happening on the ball gowns of skirts back then, where it was supposed to look. I don't know, like a lemon merangue, like you know when merangue is bait and it just stays in its shaves in his shape. Yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, or like a like an ice cream cone, right, like the skirt half that kind of soft, sir. I wasn't mad about that dress. If it had been all like angular and bitchy like my wedding dress in real life was, then yeah, I would have been jealous. But I didn't want that dress. So I guess you were asking me about the boy part of it. I can all I'm just like the dress.
Speaker 3: You're like, whatever, I don't care.
Speaker 2: I don't even care. No. I thought. There was an awkward moment in the episode where Peyton goes to see Lucas at the basketball court and is like, are you gonna yell at me for being mean to Lindsay yeah, and he's like, I didn't hear anything about it. That was awkward, But I don't know twenty two how old are our characters? Twenty one two? Awkward? Let's be graceful about it. Lucas, for his part, though, don't do any weird shit with Peyton at the party. Congratulations, he's like focused on his bride.
Speaker 3: Finally, it's very different than the clothover bros. Opening My god.
Speaker 2: Right, No, he's doing it.
Speaker 3: You can do better. I'm still still icked about that. No, he was good, and getting to see them be together in a nice way was nice.
Speaker 2: I bought it. It's what they probably were pre Brook and Peyton coming home. Yes, now we're finally getting to see it. Well, well, well, Brooke was convinced earlier, Peyton's convinced. Now. I guess Lucas and Lindsay are going to be happily over after whatever. It's fine, I'll just go kiss all of Brook's other ex boyfriends, right, yeah, sorry, I guess Peyton never kisses Owen, does she? No? Trying to think if there are any other Brook quest that we didn't cross over on.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think you do. And in later years, you know, once you had left and they made poor sweet Jana do it. So like Alex goes for Julian almost like Nanny Carey goes for Nathan. I mean, obviously pre us finding out she's a sociopath. But yeah, it was gnarly and I was just like, why is everybody always trying to own Brooks boyfriends? What's happened?
Speaker 2: Irritating? You said, Carrie, One thing I forgot in this episode, you guys, is that the amazing woman who was my stand in on the show, Carrie Moscow please, the store clerk that ends up sleeping with Dan, right, But she also played the prostitute that went home with Matt Barr.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the one that Derek dressed up to look like Peyton.
Speaker 2: And I love that this one character sleeps with Matt Barr and gets assaulted and then sleeps with Dan Scott the second he gets out of prison. And she's just she's part of the folklore of Tree Hill.
Speaker 3: She is a bad man magnet.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, that's spicy. Patty. What was her name Patty?
Speaker 3: In the episode Patty, what time do you get off to pass? When do you want to pick me up?
Speaker 2: I was like, Okay, I just love that they cast carry for these parts because she's so great.
Speaker 3: I love it. She is great.
Speaker 2: I liked the episode all in all. It made me want to go home and have an all class reunion with my high school friends.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I liked it. I'm gonna be curious when we get on for the next one and we get joy back. I feel like I'm going to have some follow up questions, you know, when we watch the episodes and it's like previously, I want to next week. I want to have a little previously on with her.
Speaker 2: Because she was so good in this episode.
Speaker 3: Oh so good. Do we want to do a fan question?
Speaker 2: I think we ought to.
Speaker 3: I've got one for us from Tanya. She says, how far ahead do you know the plot lines when acting? For example, that Lindsay leaves Lucas at the altar, that Nanny Carey is actually crazy? Oh, Tanya, buckle up, babe.
Speaker 2: Like the week before maybe if you're lucky.
Speaker 3: Sometimes a day before if you're not lucky.
Speaker 2: We were getting into binds where we would get the script like two days before we'd have to start it, yeah, because it has to go through so many revisions and then like network notes and then tone meetings and a lot of executive level blooney before it gets to the actors that are like, oh cool, let me just memorize sixty pages.
Speaker 3: Yeah, by tomorrow. And you know you've got to prep, you've got to figure out how to make things work. It's not just memorizing, it's all the other building of the world you have to do. And yeah, it can be really crazy making when you know, let's say we'd be starting a new episode. This is five eleven, for example, we're starting five eleven on a Thursday, and we don't get the script until Tuesday night, and it's like, well, I wish I'd have known that Chase was gonna be Owen's friend, because I would have done this thing differently in the scene we shot yesterday in five ten, like, you know, that wouldn't have been the one obviously that was a surprise. But yeah, if you know Lindsay's gonna leave him at the altar, or you know that someone's gonna get arrested, that can inform a lot about your work. Yeah, and they just don't always tell you.
Speaker 2: Well, even for me in this narrative right where it's like Peyton said, I love you and you're getting married. Cool. Great, I'm gonna deal with it. If I'd have known that Lindsay was gonna leave him at the altar. I probably would have paid, like played the panic a little bit more right of like, oh my god, he's actually gonna go through with this, like he's actually gonna do this. Instead, in my mind, Lucas was getting married, so Peyton was gonna go off in a different direction. Yes, I kind of played it like I'm the cool girl, I'm gonna get over it, and like I don't care.
Speaker 3: I have to get over it. What's my choice? Yeah, yeah, yeah, So I was.
Speaker 2: Kind of more apathetic about it, But I feel like it would have enhanced the drama if Peyton had been a little bit more like, oh I care, I care, I care. Yeah, but I didn't know. I legitimately thought they were gonna get married and have babies and do the thing. So I was I mean, frankly, I was just looking at the call sheets to see if someone knew was coming in that I could kiss. Wow, what's happening next? Is Greenberg back? He wasn't. They teased us with that this season though. I remember them being like, oh, we're trying to get him. Yeah he said that every year. But yeah, Tanya, it's uh, it's not like a movie where we know what's gonna happen. We have to play everything super open ended. They're gonna throw it us. I love it, all right. What's your honorable mention?
Speaker 3: I liked that line of joys. That's mine. I shouldn't have tried to change you. Oh god, that's my honorable mention. Sorry, it's a downer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my honorable mention is in the car with Chase and Owen and Brooke and Peyton. Yeah, when he says, do you remember the fake virgin chick? And we don't get mad at the fake virgin part? No, we are we go chick? He called me a chip fake virgin, yes chick, No, no, sir. Yeah, we should make t shirts that say that, do you remember the fake virgin chick?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: Into it? Do it all right, We're gonna spin a wheel.
Speaker 3: Spin, We'll send you home.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Bevin was so good in this episode. Bevin was so good in this episode. Honorable Yeah, yeah, just putting her foot in her mouth over and over and over again.
Speaker 3: So funny.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: Most likely to own a food truck?
Speaker 2: Okay, character, which character is most likely to own a food truck?
Speaker 3: Tim?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I was yeah, yes, because he's gonna put He's gonna have one of those like Ponzi scheme ideas where he gets some dumb investor where he's like, guys, it's nachos, but it's made out of beer, you know, like yeah, some stupid yeah, and someone's gonna invest in that.
Speaker 3: Someone's gonna invest in it, and he's just gonna be driving around town making people snacks.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm track. I like that. Where I'm at right now, we have ice cream trucks all over the place and they are not playing old school songs anymore. They've got this you're kind of electronic like music, but it sounds like horror film music, like it sounds like a stranger thing. No, I'm just out there going for a walk and you hear like soundtrack of doom coming up behind you, so like crazy, that's a Tim move. Oh my god, for sure a Tim move. Who in real life? I mean, Daneil has food trucks at family business brewing company, at the distillery, they have food trucks.
Speaker 3: Well, there you go. I a food truck for me is the kind of dream that surfing is. I think I would love it if I did it, and I'm never gonna do it, But in my head, I'm just I'm a month away from having a taco truck or being a girl who knows how to work a surfboard. I don't even like the ocean, but I think I think about it, and I'm like, I could do that someday. I never will. I love that, but God, I would love to have a food truck.
Speaker 2: Oh my saxt could be my business. Hell yeah, in our next lifetime, that's happening, all right, you guys. Next episode we have season five, episode twelve. It's called hundred, one hundred, very Antoine. Antoine used to say that he still says that all the time. One hundred. All right, Thank you guys for hanging in with us.
Speaker 3: See you next time.
Speaker 2: Hey, thanks for listening.
Speaker 3: Don't forget to leave us a review. You can also follow us on Instagram at Drama Queen's ot.
Speaker 2: H or email us at Drama Queens at iHeartRadio dot com. See you next time.
Speaker 4: We all about that high school drama girl, drama girl, all about them high school queens. We'll take you for a ride at our comic girl shared for the right drama queens. My girl girl
Speaker 5: Fashion, but your tough girl, you could sit with US, Girl Drama, Queens ra Mcqueens Drama, Queens Drama Drawn, Mcqueens Drama, Queens