Speaker 1: Cool Media. Welcome to it could happen here, the show about Things Falling Apart. I'm Garrison Davis and I'm joined today by a special guest host, Richard's Todd. Welcome back to the show.
Speaker 2: Ah, thank you so much for having me. I am completely excited to be here. I am a listener of the show, so it feels like getting to be on a show that I actually freak out too often.
Speaker 1: And I'm very excited for you to be here because you have a special report on one of the people who I've been cyberstalking for years, and I'm very excited to hear the details of what she's been up to these past few weeks. I kind of know the rough overview because again because of my cyberstalking, but I've not done a deep dive the way you have, so I'm very excited to hear an update on this on this character.
Speaker 2: So it sounds like we are in a similar place when it comes to this person, and this person is none other than Candice Owens. First of all, what are her thoughts on her? Because I am low key fascinated with her. I follow her on social media, I watch her videos like I am.
Speaker 3: Like weirdly captivated by her.
Speaker 1: I mean I've I've covered her mostly through her involvement with Daily Wire. I've talked a little bit about kind of how that'll fell apart, you know, like a year and a half ago or so. I've talked a little bit about her involvement in Turning Point USA with Charlie Kirk. And she's just kind of been one of like these like randomly, you know, like like orbiters of like the online like right wing content sphere for like I don't know, the past six years at least, and I typically focus more on like you know, like the Ben Shapiro's, the Matt Walsh's, you know, back in the day, the Stephen Crowders and stuff. But Cannis was always just like around and like she definitely like went after a different demographic than what like my usual focuses, right, Like I'm focused on like what's going on with straight white men, Like why why are they like this? And who who is targeting them? You know, and that's you know, that's like the Matt Walsh, Stephen Crowder kind of angle. Like Candace Owens has like a kind of a broader net that she targets with her content, So like she's always kind of come up as like a side character. I don't think I've ever done like a distinct focus on her before besides just you know whatever kind of crazy post or like you know, anti trans or like very like weird like racist rank that she goes on like every once in a while.
Speaker 2: Yes, so there is so much to talk about when it comes to Candace Owens. I'm sort of like you, like I sort of saw her as a side character, but only recently have I realized, like, oh, people in my life are listening to Candace Owens and citing Candace Owens and they have no idea any about her, anything about her backstory.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all the stuff that you that you were just talking about.
Speaker 1: She's like reinvented herself like multiple times. And you know, some people who mainly come at this from like the anti fascist research perspective might not be aware of her like latest rebrand, which is what I'm excited to hear about today. Yes, I just remembered how she had that whole event with Kanye when she did to her like BLM documentary that was a whole other Candace era. Yeah so much, My.
Speaker 2: God, I have to say I was like low key embarrassed for her because like during her Kanye West era, she was like, Kanye West designed the Katore outfits for my Blexit movement, and Kanye West was like, no, I fucking didn't, And like I was like, Oh, They're so embarrassing that you like that, you like publicly aligned yourself with Kanye West, only for him to basically like diss you publicly right after yeah.
Speaker 1: And then come out as like an explicit neo Nazi like two weeks later.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, uh, Candace girl.
Speaker 2: So I want to talk about her, like, I don't want to spend too much time on her background, but there are some pieces that I think like are good for understanding kind of who she is, this chameleon figure that she's been totally If there is not like a behind the bastard's on her, do you know, if there is, there should be If there's not not.
Speaker 1: Yet, Like similarly on Bastards, she's been one of one of these like recurring characters. Oh my god, but she she is had a distinct focus.
Speaker 2: Robert Evans, get on it, because we need the Candace Owens behind the bastard. So Candicce grew up in Stanford, Connecticut. While she was a student there, she went through this horrible sounding racial harassment. A classmate left her like this racist death threat on her voicemail. That turned into like a pretty serious local scandal because it turned out the student who made that threat via voicemail.
Speaker 3: Did so in a car with a group of.
Speaker 2: Students that included the sun of the then mayor and then future Democratic governor of Connecticut, Daniel molloy. So she got tons of support from the local chapter of the NAACP, and her family ended up suing the Stamford Board of Education in federal court for failing to protect her rights, resulting in a thirty seven thousand, five hundred dollars settlement. She went on the studied journalism at University of Rhode Island before dropping out.
Speaker 1: This is like the early two thousands.
Speaker 2: Yes, this was like young like baby Candace high school Candace before she was the Candace Owen that we you know today. Yeah, so I sort of like almost see a little bit of myself and where she got her start like me. She was an early adopter of using the Internet to talk about things like race and politics like me. That also seemed to sort of manifest in a lot of like low hanging fruit shit posts on the early days of blogging, Like in twenty fifteen, she was writing blogs making fun of Trump's penis size.
Speaker 1: Sure, many such cases.
Speaker 3: Yes, many such cases.
Speaker 2: So in twenty fifteen, Owens is running a blog called Degree one eighty where she wrote pieces criticizing conservative Republicans, writing about the quote that shit crazy antics of the Republican tea Party. The good news is they will eventually die off peacefully and in their sleep, we hope, and then we can get right on with the obvious social change that needs to happen immediately, she wrote on her blog. So back then she was really someone who had like a progressive point of view and was doing a lot of public writing about what she was saying and experiencing in politics at the time. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, this is something that I guess some people might not know if they've only like become aware of her through daily wires. Yeah, Like in the pre twenty sixteen like BuzzFeed internet kind of sphere, she was just like one of like these people who would yeah, have like like you know, progressive like ish takes, criticize embarrassing like politicians, and like overtly racist stuff happening, and then the degree to which this this like heel turn happens is like one of the most stark examples I've seen in like a I don't know, I'm trying to think of it. If there's like any like exact parallel, I don't know, Like there's like certainly some like detransition, like a grifters. There used to be like ex gay influencers or you know this like like proto influencers kind of before influencers were a thing, like ex gay speakers. But yeah, the switch around on Candace from these blog posts is so concentrated.
Speaker 2: So in her own words she describes it as happening, Oh there you go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how it happened is like fascinating to me.
Speaker 2: So in twenty sixteen, when Gamergate was in full swing, Owen's launched a Kickstarter for a project called Social Autopsy, which she described as a way to catalog the abuses of trolls and cyberbullies. Fun fact that Kickstarter is still up today. It is such a weird time capsule of a different time. There's like a video of her speaking earnestly about the need to like have the internet be a like safer, more equitable landscape.
Speaker 3: It is nuts, like.
Speaker 2: People should go listen to her speaking about this project. So the plan for this project was essentially that she would create a way to de anonymize online commentators and then connect them with like their real names and their real life employers. And what's so funny is that, like that is the very same argument that a lot of people use, people who like want to restrict the open Internet still use today that like problems on the Internet online harassment and abuse would all be improved if only everybody had to use their government idea and government names to access the Internet. And so like it's very funny that that idea it was bad then, and it didn't really die, it was just recycled into today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, like there's a version of this that happens, or at least it kind of used to happen more in regards to like anti fascist research, where like you're like identify specific like extremely racist accounts or like explicit neo Nazis and contact their employer in an attempt to get to get them fired so they can focus on getting a new job and supporting themselves rather than doing racism online and in person, if especially if he's like, you know, a member of like a group, whether that be you know, the Proud Boys back in the day or many many other groups, Patriot Prayer now, Patriot Front, that sort of thing. It's funny how hated this tactic is soon to be by people like Candice and the Daily Wire people. But here she's advocating it herself exactly, and they just like post Anita Sarkisian kind of content like world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so pretty much everybody thought this was a bad idea, including video game developer Zoe Quinn, who folks might remember was kind of at the center of Gamergate and was like viciously attacked. Owens was subsequently harassed and docs and she blamed Zoe Quinn and other feminists for this and said so publicly as you can probably guess, like people like Milo Gyanopolis loved this.
Speaker 3: People who were promoters of.
Speaker 2: Gamergate really hyped up Owens's claims that like, yes, feminists were actually the ones doing all the online harassing.
Speaker 1: Okay, I can see where this is going.
Speaker 2: So this event is what Owen's credits with her turn from progressive to quote becoming a red pilled radical. She says, I became a conservative overnight. I realized that liberals were actually the racists. Liberals were actually the trolls. She starts promoting right wing viewpoints on her YouTube channel, calling herself quote red pilled black, which I gotta say is like pretty good branding.
Speaker 3: Like I'm I'm mad at the branding there.
Speaker 2: I was like, Okay, black woman talking about like right wing stuff, red pill black.
Speaker 3: I get it. I get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm interested to see how much how much the checkbook was a consideration here? Oh yes, how much her Kickstarter god versus how much she realized she could get if she jumped on the other side of the content churn.
Speaker 2: Well, she almost instantly gets noticed by Charlie Kirk, founder of Turning Points USA Right, and he hires her almost immediately. She starts cranking out these videos that really perform quite well, that her videos really go viral. Videos where she's doing things like dismissing the twenty seventeen White supremacist Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville. Alex Jones gets her to co host some of his info war shows. She's doing stints on Fox News as a paid commentator, like business is booming for Candice Owens from this turn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is around when I became aware of her.
Speaker 2: Yes, in twenty twenty one, she joins up with the Daily Wire. There was so much fanfare around them higher Candace, like it was a big deal she moved to Nashville. Yeah, fun fact, there was even a House joint resolution House Joint Resolution three fifty, a resolution in the Tennessee government to congratulate Candace Owens are relocating to Tennessee and for her work at Daily Wired. That reads whereas Miss Owens has earned the admiration and respect of millions of Americans through her activism in support of President Trump as a black woman and her perceptive criticism of creeping socialism and leftist political tyranny.
Speaker 1: Very cool stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, imagine it being like a joint resolution in your local government when you move someplace.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The Governor of Tennessee was like super excited when the Daily Wire relocated their headquarters to Tennessee and brought in all these people. Like there was there was like so many like private dinners meetings. There was like a like a number of resolutions welcoming the Daily Wire to Tennessee. In this like twenty twenty one period as they were just starting to like launch their own extreming service website, which is why they recruited Candace is because they were looking for content creators to fill out their slate.
Speaker 2: So you would think that this should be like a match made in heaven, right, smooth sailing. They need insidiary content creators. She's an insidiary content creator. Should be a match made in heaven. Perfect Not quite, because things end in like this really messy public fallout just a few years later. So I know that you've done episodes on this from my perspective, and I would love to know what you think. It's not one hundred percent clear what went down, but the public friction between Candace Owens and Ben Shapiro, one of the founders of Daily Wire, it seemed to be like related to reactions around the situation in Gaza.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally so.
Speaker 2: Ben Shapiro is Jewish and Owens, as we said, has said and done like a lot of anti Semitic stuff, like a lot and.
Speaker 1: Like actual Adesemitic stuff like that people use that as a way to like shut down like very very admirable, like like like Propelstinian like activism. No, like Canda owns just is anti semitic, and this it's like the same thing with like Jackson Hinkel, and she made it like an escalating series of anti semitic claims after October seventh, which which slowly kind of like broke with the company and ben like more and more and more of over series of a few months. Yes, and it's it's it's funny because like it also kind of mirrors this like online fight she had with Stephen Crowder like a year or so prior when Daily Wire was trying to recruit him, and then she got informed about like how like abusive he was to his wife, and then she went on like a media blitz like against him as like as he was in negotiations like with the Daily Wire. She's like very willing to like stir shit up, like even if it like goes against her own interests or the interests of like whatever company she works for, Like she is she is absolutely willing to like make like some kind of like chaotic spectacle regardless of her own like you know, financial security.
Speaker 2: I guess yes, like she I'm so glad that you mentioned that she is not afraid to get down and dirty in public and I do think, like, you know, as a black woman who works with a lot of white men, I would imagine that she's probably thinking, like, I have to have some kind of decorum. I don't want anyone to say that I'm being a crazy black woman or whatever.
Speaker 3: She's it seems like she has no such qualms.
Speaker 2: Like she is like I will, I will make this a public, messy fight, and I am not afraid to make a genuine spectacle of myself. Yeah, and so it is really important to note that, like, as you said, she wasn't just like criticizing the Israeli States. She was like getting into like blood lible and like deep conspiracy theories.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it was. There was some really nasty posts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like one of the things that she said, she's claimed that Judaism was quote a pedophile centric religion that believes in demons and child sacrifice, and that she was waking people up to the fact that pedophiles are in power, like.
Speaker 3: Stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Not great, not good, not good.
Speaker 2: So, as you said, like this starts to become like a public feud toward her employer. She wrote on Twitter, no one can serve two masters, and ended her post writing you cannot serve both God and money, which Ben Shapiro, her boss, tweets like quote tweeted, oh my god, Like, Candice, if you feel that taking money from the Daily Wire somehow that comes between you and God, by all means quit, Like messy is there.
Speaker 1: It's crazy that instead of having like a company meeting, they were just doing this on Twitter dot com.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, and my messy ass was eating it up. I was like, keep fighting, let him fight.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, no, absolutely, I'm totally willing to like watch this, watch this go down.
Speaker 3: I do not want to get involved, right right right.
Speaker 2: Owens like went on Tuck Her Carlson Show and said that Ben Shapiro was quote acting unprofessional and emotionally unhinged for weeks now. She said that Shapiro quote crossed a certain line. When you come for scripture and read yourself into it, I will not talk it.
Speaker 1: Very cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, at one point, Owen's tweets that she wants Ben Shapiro to have a public like debate with her, moderated by podcaster Patrick Bett Davide.
Speaker 3: Ben Shapiro was having none of this.
Speaker 2: He tweets, Candice, I can see why you'd want to hide behind a moderator, particularly one who said we should rename our company quote Daily Jewish Wire just yesterday, No Jesus one on one Monday at five, we can sit down and have a healthy debate like adult and will live stream it on x and YouTube. Take it or leave it as to the true reason why you didn't respond to my offer to sit down with you and discuss these issues publicly or privately back in February, I have no idea what the hell you're talking about.
Speaker 3: Like, this is employer employee going at it on Twitter.
Speaker 1: I can't believe I'm taking Ben Shapiro's side here, not just because he's Ben Shapiro, but also because he's an employer. But it's a really it's a really tough situation here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel the same way, because, like, it's just not a great look to have somebody that you just hired to all this fanfare come actually like this on Twitter, like and I think, I mean, this is just my opinion, so like take that for what it's worth, just as somebody who has worked in media and been around the block. The reason why I'm not comfortable saying like their feud was entirely based on Owens's anti Semitic comments and behavior is that she just went so hard and so public that something to me, I almost wonder if there was like a contract dispute here, but like she was like, oh, I can make more money on my own, totally gotta get out of this contract or something, because like it just doesn't smell right.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, if she had like an inclination that she could afford to lose his job because she might make more money on her own, then yeah, absolutely that would that would allow her to push this further than what she might otherwise might. Like there's been a lot of a lot of discussion in the right wing contents fear about like the Daily Wires fairly restrictive contracts despite still getting paid like tens of millions of dollars, there is like restrictions on like what happens when you lose monetization because the Daily Wires like a company trying to make a profit, So totally, I think there could absolutely be other financial stuff going on here. I think it's more like an interlocking series of issues rather than just one thing or another.
Speaker 2: Yes, So after Rabbi Shmooley Boteach criticized Owens for her defenses of Kanye West. Owens liked to tweet asking Boteach if he was quote drunk on Christian blood again.
Speaker 3: And I guess that was the final straw.
Speaker 2: A few days later, Daily Wire and Candace Owens ended their relationship, with Owen's tweeting the rumors are true, I am finally free.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: So that's what happened with her and Daily Wire. So where is she now? Well, this is where the story gets interesting because I had not heard from Candace Owens in a minute, and my reintroduction to her happened recently, and when I was trying to make sense of the dispute between two Hollywood A listers, Blake Lively and Justin Baldoni. So the issue between Blake and Justin it's a little bit complicated and ongoing, but it's actually a pretty interesting story that includes a lot of things that I enjoy, like how celebrities use media and how social media platforms can be weaponized for or against specific people. Email correspondence where people make themselves look terrible in writing because they do not expect those emails to be in a deposition later like that is my favorite thing in the world, like, please continue to put your wrongdoing in writing so that my nosey ask can read it later and be like, ooh messy. So I do encourage like folks to read up on it because it does go beyond just like two celebrities having a feud, but you don't really need to know the specifics for our purposes. The quick and dirty version is that Blake Lively and Justin Baldoni were in a movie adaptation of the very popular novel by Colleen Hoover called It Starts with Us. In December, Lively filed a legal complaint against Baldoni, accusing him of sexual harassment and starting a smear campaign against her. Baldoni strongly denies that and has sued her and response, both camps have released information like emails, text messages, and video that attempting to make the other look bad.
Speaker 3: So it has kind of.
Speaker 2: Turned into one of those ink blot tests that changes depending on whose version you buy. Version one is that Blake Lively was being sexually harassed on set by a fake feminist ally who is actually an abusive man, or version two that Blake Lively is an egomaniac who was using her star power and a list celebrity network like her husband Ryan Reynolds from Deadpool, to control the narrative around her being a nightmare on set and steamrolling everybody on this project. Cool, yes, and so it's what's interesting about this to me is that it's one of those stories where algorithmically it depends on what silo or what pocket of the Internet you're at sure to determine, like, what version of this story you're getting, Like much like Johnny Dep's deformation Losses.
Speaker 1: Sounds too much like the thing, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly, and so like for whatever reason, TikTok thinks I hate Blake Lively and want to pour over every nuance of how she is a fraud, right, like, but someone else's TikTok might be like, no, Blake Lively, we should be supporting her. Like. It's one of those situations where just depending on where you are on the Internet, you might get a very different impression of the public sentiment leaning one brayer or another.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, this is all the types of things I try to avoid learning about at almost all costs. So I guess I need not you, you know.
Speaker 2: So I was trying to get to the bottom of it because I kept hearing about it, like everyone was talking about it. So I'm talking to my cousins, who I would lovingly describe as normies, and that they are not super online.
Speaker 3: It's like they're not like you and me. They're not like deep into the depths of extremism or anything like that.
Speaker 1: No, they're not watching like the Daily Wire for fun slash four works, yes, yea.
Speaker 2: And my cousins are like, oh my god, there is this black girl journalist who has been following everything and breaking it down. She has all the tea will tag you. That journalist was Candace Owens. Okay, so all right, you know Candace has been making so many videos off of this, and like her coverage, if you, coverage in quotes, has really taken off online. As The Cut put it in a piece called Candace Owens has gone mainstream. They write, the right wing commentator's coverage of the Blake Lively justin Boldannie case has reached millions of viewers. Owen's podcast was hours and hours of analysis of the case, deep dives into court filings, tabloid news stories, even Ryan Reynolds's recent SNL Fifthist anniversary special appearance.
Speaker 3: One listener said, she's really been.
Speaker 2: Able to go in and pinpoint discrepancies and some of the things Blake Lively ha said, rather than us having to go through it on our own.
Speaker 1: Ah. Of course it's the woman who's lying about being sexually harassed. Of course.
Speaker 2: One listener of her podcast says she recognizes that Owens seems to have a pro Boldanni bias, but she doesn't care because quote, she's urging us to look past the fact that this is not a feminist issue at all, that it's about getting justice or whoever is being wronged here.
Speaker 3: She's uniting the left and the right. The right wing Women's.
Speaker 2: Magazine also published a headline about this, saying how Candice Owens is uniting conservatives and liberal with her it ends with US coverage. So her coverage of this dispute has really allowed her to attract a lot more viewers beyond her like normal right wing extremist base, which has generally been like a lot of white men like that who was really listening to her content before when she was with Daily Wire. Now she has really branched out. So like normies like my cousins who have no idea who Owens is, have no idea her background, her past, the work that she has done, and just think like, oh, she's a normal entertainment journalist, like digging and getting the dirt.
Speaker 1: I know she's doing this like on her podcast. I assume YouTube as well. She also just like trying to like flood TikTok, trying to flood like Instagram reaches. Is this kind of part of how she's trying to like expand her reach.
Speaker 3: It is like she's everywhere.
Speaker 2: And then she has her longer form podcast YouTube, but then clips of her like you know, breaking down the top lies or top inaccuracies and things that Blake Lively has said. Those go super viral on social media. The short clips yeah okay, and all of this has been just gangbusters for her growth and engagement.
Speaker 3: Here's how A cut put it.
Speaker 2: Since Owens started covering the Lively Baldani case, her YouTube channel has exploded in popularity, allowing her to attract a much larger fan base than the audience of hardcore conservatives she is amassed over the years. Each episode about Lively racks up at least one point five million views. In the past month alone, Owen's has a masked more than four hundred and fifty thousand new subscribers on YouTube, and her total video views have quadrupled since this time last year. This is according to data from the platforms Social Blade, oh No. Over the past three months, her audience on YouTube has almost started skewing sixty five percent female, according to data provided by a spokesperson, a market shift from her past fan base.
Speaker 3: So yeah, she's loading in popularity.
Speaker 2: She's everywhere, and now she's attracting like normy women who are just coming in for this celebrity dispute.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's probably not gonna end well huh.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't think it will end well.
Speaker 2: You know, I was like racking my brain trying to figure out, like, why has this story taken off so much for Owen's And there are a couple of reasons.
Speaker 3: I think this is like working for her. One.
Speaker 2: I hate to say it, but she is actually genuinely interesting to listen to. You know, when she was a progressive voice online, she definitely was somebody who had a point of view and a clear voice and a perspective, and that really comes through when she's breaking down Blake Lively in these videos. She has a way of speaking that really makes you pay attention and signals to the listener, like this person is really breaking it down. It's the same reason why on TikTok or social media when someone is like story time, we're like I'm about to tell you all the details of something. Those videos always perform very well on social media. And I think that Owens is just very good at knowing how to hold somebody's attention online.
Speaker 3: Like I have to say it, sure.
Speaker 1: I mean she's been doing the content churn for almost a decade now, Like, yeah, you you do get good at it on like a technical proficiency level.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: Also, you know, we just love good old fashioned misogyny. And if that misogyny can be laced with like a conspiracy theory, oh, I.
Speaker 3: Think that's it's even better.
Speaker 2: So, like I think that part of this is just like social media platforms are always going to amplify misogyny. I would argue that things like misogyny, transphobia, massage, noire, or racism, all of that is like baked into the experience of showing up online as a feature, not a bug. And I think that Omens takes it even further because she is breaking it down, like she's uncovering some conspiracy. Like it's not just let's talk about about Blake Lively, it's I'm uncovering the web of lies and I'm gonna I'm gonna expose Blake Lively's dark truth, right, and so like of course that's gonna take off.
Speaker 1: And she does gain this element of authority because she's a woman talking about this. It makes men feel better about being misogynistic because a woman's telling them it's okay to I mean, this is this is the same thing that she was able to weaponize for all of her, like like you know, anti Black Lives Matter stuff for all of her, like like racism isn't real things. She tries to use that to her advantage, mostly to make like white members of her audience like feel good about their own racism because a black woman told them it's actually okay and like that that's been like a big part of her career the past few years exactly that.
Speaker 2: And I think like she really understands that the inviting power of taking what you might think of as like a contrarian stance on something like yeah, totally, like after the Me Too movement, how many women got engagement by taking a contrarian stance right, Like, I think going against the conventional attitude that says like, oh, we have to automatically support the woman in this in this dispute probably make people tuning into Omens's breakdowns feel like they're like free thinkers who are going against the grain, you know, by taking an unpopular opinion, which I do think connects to her more odious stances on things like trans people and women and Jewish people.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, like you see the same thing with like you know, like the gaze against groomers thing right wing trans influencers de trans influencers. It's the same, like gambit, and certainly I think like, yeah, like your identification of her as like a professional contrarian is like very very key to her success exactly.
Speaker 2: I also think like part of the reason why people are attracted to conspiracy theories is that it allows for like fantasy world building. And I mean I really see the ways that she injects that into her coverage, even the word coverage I put that in worlds because like she is like a wild person to her coverage is like also wild. She does not adhere to, as she puts it, quote a traditional style.
Speaker 1: Of reporting, you know, I'll take her word for that one, you know what, I'll believe her on that single point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I believe her. I believe that. You know, she amplifies rumors. And even once.
Speaker 2: She read a letter that she said that she got from Blake Lively's husband, Ryan Reynolds, his acting coach when he was twelve, and Tone Owens, his acting coach, said that Ryan Reynolds was an obnoxious kid.
Speaker 1: You know what, I also believe it.
Speaker 3: I Oh, I have no trouble believing that. But like her coverage, it includes like side.
Speaker 1: Characters, Yeah, things that have no bearing on this whatsoever. I mean, yeah, I feel like this, this focus on like this, like conspiratorial ben is the same. She's using the same tactics she did for her Black Lives Matter documentary for like most of her political work. Like it. It's she's using the same tactics over and over again, and eventually she like reaches this like stress point or this like threshold where she cannot see a path forward or she can't see a way to surpass it, and then she does a pivot. This happened with her progressive blog, this happened even at the Daily Wire. She does not she doesn't work with turning point us Sadie more and like this this new pivot is learning. Hey, it's sup super lucrative to be like a tabloid entertainment quote unquote journalist. Very easy, super lucrative. And all of the tactics you learned on the right wing media sphere work great here, like all of this, like conspiratorial thinking really uh, a disregard for like like facts and evidence works perfect for this sort of like rumor based reporting, and it spreads like crazy, And yeah, it spreads across political lines. You don't you aren't just targeting the mega people or like the far right. This this can be so much more broad to like the giant audience of like you know, quote unquote, like a political people go to these platforms for a form of like of like escapism and entertainment rather than just hearing about politics. Yet again, because that's you know, very very tiring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think in my mind all of it is sort of sort of connected. Like Ben Shapiro, nobody cared more about celebrities or talked more about celebrities than Ben Shapiro. He would love to be like, I don't care what Hollywood is doing but he was obsessed with like Beyonce and Meg the Stallion, Like it was just like a negative obsession.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, you know, anti fandom is still fandom.
Speaker 2: When you make video after video about how much you don't like Meg thea Stallion in a kind of way, you are a fan, just in the opposite direction. And so I think that Candace Owens really took that and learned how to perfect it because she is much I think that she is much better at this than Ben Shapiro is.
Speaker 3: Like the evidence being that, like.
Speaker 2: Her YouTube channel is exploding with people who probably would never watch any any of Ben Shapiro's content.
Speaker 1: The big bummer for me is that the Daily Wires first film, Lady Ballers left us on a cliffhanger with Candace Owns and Matt Walsh sitting in a car talking about how Matt Walsh planned this entire like plot of the film as like as like some kind of scheme or like social experiment, and you know, it was implied there would be more, you know, it was like a you know, like Avengers Nick Fury type post credits scene, and now we're never gonna learn what Candice Owans and Matt Walsh get up to now because she's left the company. She's now doing her own thing. So now we just have this dangling plot thread that's just gonna bug me forever, Like what does the candae Owan's character at the end of Lady Ballers do next. I'm gonna be thinking about this for like years.
Speaker 2: America deserves closure, we deserve to know. Just putting that out there, I think we do deserve closure.
Speaker 3: I just think my closure is gonna be a little bit different. I am.
Speaker 1: I'm very fine having all of these plot threads wrapped up quite quickly, but I do not see that in the cards immediately.
Speaker 2: So in terms of where she's at now, like you know, my question is like, has Owens has this kind of like mainstream audience that she's been able to amass.
Speaker 3: Has she changed her views? She is she trying to do a rebrand or a pay it.
Speaker 2: In an interview, she said, in terms of my perspective, I haven't changed anything. I've been anti METO since long before it was cool.
Speaker 1: Sure, I mean that can be true. It's also true that she is getting better at propaganda and widening her footprint, which, yeah, then once her audience gets bigger, she might be able to slip in more things that I would find on savory to a larger audience over time. But she also might be content to keep growing that and be slightly less off putting in the meantime. But no, like there's also just a huge audience for like the anti woke backlash, anti metwo stuff right now. Like that's kind of that's kind of like the new mainstream Frankly, so I am certain that she's going to try to continue to like flex that and grow that in the in the next few months years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I agree with you. I believe Owens when she says that, like her stances have not changed much. Yeah, easy to be like, oh, well, she's pivoting to go mainstream now that she has these like women in her audience who are interested in celebrity. And honestly, you can sort of see some of this in changes to her physical appearance, Like she was sort of known for having very severe hair, the joke being that she had alienated herself so much from her fellow black people that like, no black person was going to do her hair and that's why it looks that way. But lately you've really seen this like softening she's kind of going for like a softer public look.
Speaker 3: She is pivoting to different kinds of programming.
Speaker 2: She's branched out into doing a book club for paying subscribers and some kind of a fitness program.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. Yeah, totally, like the health Guru fitness entertainment bubble. Yeah that's huge.
Speaker 3: That's such a good grift. She's gonna make so much money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, she is.
Speaker 3: But I really.
Speaker 2: Agree with you, gaire that, like, I think that these new followers are certainly going to be walked down a pipeline that includes her extremist attitude just using celebrity scandal as a hook, because, like as you said, celebrity scandals and celebrity stories are disconsidered fluff for a lot of people, Like people who care about extremist content and ideology are maybe not seeing that as a space that they need to pay too close of attention to about these stories that you might see on the cover of an US weekly.
Speaker 3: But these stories actually.
Speaker 2: Can be used to tap into extremist ideologies and unleash them in a whole new audience. I'm like, yeah, like you were saying, if you are just like watching a podcast because you're want to be entertained about a story about two celebrities, you might not have your like bullshit detector up to be like, wait, is this extremist content because it's it's seen and treated as a less charge space, and so you know that line of thinking that says that you know, this is just fluff. It doesn't really matter. What happens in celebrity news is not that it's incorrect. It is dangerous because it lends itself to people being more susceptible to it when extremist content is slipped in without even really realizing it.
Speaker 1: I mean, and like that relates even to like the originator of this gamer gate stuff and the whole like anti woke like media fandom content sphere right where so much of like the anti book backlash has been built on people complaining that Star Wars is two woke. Now, there's too many women in movies, there's too many black people in commercials, where do all the white people go, There's too many gay people in TV, there's too many trans people in TV, and like that is it is definitely focused on by the rest of the Daily Wire goons, and you can very easily pivot back to that sort of cultural commentary after you're done talking about Blake Lively, like this is this is a very small jump where you're still talking about the entertainment industry, but with this like anti woke framing of like, you know, why is all these minorities here, why are they pushing transgenderism on kids? You know, whether that be talking about you know, transactors in the business, whether you be talking about you know, like female lead or like diversity casting, like all all that kind of stuff that especially Candice can use her like contrarian position to speak on authority about talking about why are you recasting these legacy characters to be people of color? Or why is of a woman the lead of this thing when it should be actually a man? You know, just like very very basic stuff that's been a part of like the YouTube slop for a decade now, but it's still like still takes in a lot of a lot of clips and it is it is a lot of like the Daily Wire and like right wing content still still does it's all this like weird like culture war stuff. It's very very tightened with Hollywood. Like you were saying about how like Ben Shapiro claims to you know, like hate Hollywood. He's trying to build his own alternative to it, but he can't stop talking about it, like he can't stop complaining about Disney's snow White. And I can see Candice doing like the exact same thing, but now with like an honestly like a bigger, a bigger, more like a political audience that's much more malleable and can be shaped around these like larger cultural trends. When you think about this like perception of this backlash against wokeness.
Speaker 3: I absolutely think that's what we're gonna see.
Speaker 2: And I can tell you we can finish by I can tell you about her next big pet issue, which is, yeah, championing Harvey Weinstein, who she is no.
Speaker 1: No, no, So.
Speaker 2: She's been interviewing him since twenty twenty two, according to The Hollywood Reporter. She explains, while he is quote an immoral man, he is also.
Speaker 3: Am a justice system, a victim, sure.
Speaker 2: Victim, And she says, I've always had faith in our court system, and now it's beginning to change. Now I'm beginning to wonder if our courtrooms have been politicized. And the thing that's made her think this is Harvey.
Speaker 3: Weinstein it's wild.
Speaker 1: I mean, like Ben Shapiro is starting his own campaign to free Derek Chauvin. I think there's gonna be a lot of pressure on the courts right now. I mean you're seeing that from like Elon and Trump as well. I think undermining the authority of the court I think is actually kind of part of this larger concerted issue amongst the entirety of the right right now, because this is like their biggest remaining roadblock to achieving their right wing utopia is the court system. And I you know, this may not be intentional on every person's part, like Ben Shapiro and the zones aren't aren't like intentionally collaborating on this, but they may be copying each other's trends. And if they're seeing this this wider push across a large amount of like the right wing content people to put pressure on various aspects of the courts, including by using like high profile cases like Harvey Weinstein or Derek Shulvin, that's that's not a great sign. And I can I can definitely see them trying to trying to do that in conjunction. I guess yeah.
Speaker 2: I think we're going to see a lot more of it. Candice has a series coming out called Harvey Speaks that apparently tells his side of the story, So look out for that. And I think that's the thing, like I think with her content, Like when asked why it was she thought that her Blake Lively stuff was really taking off, she says that she believes her new fans on the left quote have just kind of gotten whise to the fact that maybe women lie just like men. And so I just implore folks that, like, even if you think that you're just like retaking in this content because you're following fluffy celebrity news or whatever, it is so easy to go from maybe women lie to maybe women can't be trusted, or maybe women shouldn't work and have jobs, a stance at Candace herself is actually advocated for, despite very obviously being a working woman. And so I don't think we should trust Candace Owens even if she does this rebrand, Like, no, don't let her rebrand herself as like just a celebrity investigative journalist.
Speaker 3: Like she put all of these odious views.
Speaker 2: Out into the world, and I don't want her to be able to like soften it or you know, soften what it is that she advocates for, what it is that she believes in, if that is truly what she's trying to do to just sort of like a mass of more mainstream audience.
Speaker 3: So don't fall for it.
Speaker 2: If you're if you're getting tagged in Candace Owens videos, just know what she actually is about.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, I think I think for our audience, it's it's more likely that you'll have like family members who are going to be finding this stuff. And you should find a list of sources. Maybe this episode included, but probably you know, you can find some articles as well that think of some background on Candace's history and previous beliefs, can pick and choose some of her most like outrageous claims. So when your aunt sends you a video about how Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively are kidnapping children or something, you can you can maybe inform Aunt Judy that maybe you shouldn't listen to everything this Candice Owan's character is saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this Candice Owans might not be on the money, might not be on the level. No, yeah, inform an Auntie today, Yes that's right, and that's all I got.
Speaker 3: That's it. I don't know how. You usually end these episodes.
Speaker 1: Usually by getting sad, but I don't know. This has been been an an interesting dive into the life of a woman with many, many careers, many a chameleon, many personalities, a chameleon, a chameleon of contrarianism.
Speaker 3: Oh, I like that. If I ever write a book about her, that'll be the title.
Speaker 1: Jesus Christ. Oh what a nightmare that would be. Man scary Bridget Where can people find you online?
Speaker 2: You can find me on my podcast. There are our girls on the internet on this network. iHeartRadio. I mean, you can find me on Instagram at bridget Ran DC or on Blue Sky at bridget Time.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you so much, good luck in d C. Thanks for holding holding the line out there as Elon puts a kildozer through your entire city.
Speaker 3: We're doing our best.
Speaker 1: I would would love to talk again about a DC update. Maybe maybe next time you come on the show. My God, yes, please, there we go, Well we will, we will talk then goodbye, everybody.
Speaker 3: It could happen.
Speaker 1: Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonemedia dot com or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever.
Speaker 2: You listen to podcasts can now find sources for it could happen here, listed directly in episode descriptions.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening.