Speaker 1: All media.
Speaker 2: Sometimes there is a topic that is too big for just one podcaster. Sometimes a simple medical podcaster, a simple wartime journalist can't handle a topic on their own. They need to combine forces. A special team up has to happen. And that, my friends, is what's happening today on this special crossover edition of the House of Pod and it could happen here in hop Ich Hoppitch special myself, doctor cave Hote Hope I'm saying the correctly and James Stout are going to be talking to you along with two very special guests about what's happening out there in the protests, what risks the protesters are facing, what health concerns we have for them, how they can best prepare and more.
Speaker 1: James, Hey, buddy, Hey, it's nice, nice to be podcasting with you again.
Speaker 3: You really enjoy our team ups here, our special Marvel team ups that we do.
Speaker 1: It's a fun one. You're my favorite collaborator.
Speaker 2: Cove Hey, I'm going to take that as total sincerity, even though I'm not entirely sure. So I thank you for that. Yeah, because I think that sounded sincere enough. I like these I like you me too.
Speaker 3: I do too.
Speaker 2: Let's introduce our guests. We have some very special guests. I will actually ask you guys to introduce yourselves. Let's start with you, Miriam. Can you tell us a little bit about who you are and what your background in this field is.
Speaker 4: Sure, Hi, I'm Miriam. I use she or they pronouns. My background in the field of podcasting is that I'm with the collective Strangers in a Tangled Wilderness, which puts out the podcast Live Like the World Is Dying, as well as the podcast Strangers and a Tangled Wilderness and the spectacle. And my experience in the field of what I think we're here to talk about today is that I've been a street medic for over a decade, which means I've treated a lot of injuries on people who've been messed up by interactions with police.
Speaker 2: I mean, we're going to talk about this more, but my first question is is it pretty much ninety percent or more violence from the police that you encounter. Do you ever encounter anything else, like violence amongst protesters themselves or something else that happens along the way, or is it solely what you're experiencing is treating violence from the.
Speaker 3: Side of the police.
Speaker 4: So that's a good question. It is mostly violence from police. Sometimes it is violence from non state affiliated or at least not on duty fascists so you know, you're proud boys, you know, other people like that, or just generally sort of hostile right wing actors. Sometimes it is also, you know, sort of underlying medical stuff more so, like somebody has been out at the march all day and they didn't bring their medication with them and so they're having a sea sure, and you know, then there's also environmental stuff. You hate, stroke, your hypothermia, you're I was running to catch up with the march and I stepped off the curb, weird ow, you know, stuff like that. But in terms of violence, yeah, it's it's mostly coming from the cops. I've I've certainly never seen a friendly fire incident of violence amongst amongst protesters. I'm sure it could happen, but but I have not seen it. I have seen people that I'm in the streets with or wherever with attacked by by people who wish them harm, who are people from the state or you know, like I said, not currently on duty as cops, but you know, basically cops.
Speaker 2: No, I'm digressing too far, and I need to introduce her other guests. But I have another follow up question and I need to ask. I'm so curious, please, have you ever had to take care of, say, someone on the other side who's been injured.
Speaker 4: So as anybody who works in any kind of emergency, you know, medical response will tell you. Anybody who's an EMT or even anybody who's like a lifeguard, the first thing you do before you approach a patient is established scene safety. So if a Nazi has been hurt, it is not safe for me to approach that patient because there's a Nazi over there.
Speaker 2: I see, Okay, I think I'm picking up what you're putting down on that one.
Speaker 3: So it has not happened.
Speaker 4: Yeah, anybody who is acting as a street medic is acting under what it called a good Samaritan laws, you know, which protects you from any kind of bad outcome. If you start taking care of somebody, you know, start helping somebody out in the streets based on whatever training you.
Speaker 3: Have, you know.
Speaker 4: Same thing like if if somebody collapses at a bus stop and you start doing CPR based on the Red Cross class you took, that's good Samaritan stuff. Same way, it does not obligate you to intervene, especially in approaching somebody who is actively seeking to do you harm. So I would not consider that within my within my lane.
Speaker 3: Understood.
Speaker 2: Well, let's introduce our second guest. We have doctor Richard Pharaoh, who is a doctor in the Los Angeles area and is a family practice physician.
Speaker 3: May I call you Richard? Uh? Yeah, you may? Okay, very good, Richard, welcome to the show. Thank you very much.
Speaker 5: Goby, it's a pleasure to be on. You know, you kind of mentioned it already. I'm Keelly medicine. I've also experienced in street medicine in the LA area. Also, you know, this is obviously something that's really important to me right now given everything that's been going on in the city, and also important for me just giving the fact that I'm a Latino, I'm a proud Coasta Rican Cuban, and just that's part of the huge reason why I'm in medicine. So I'm really happy to have an opportunity to talk about, you know, the ice protests and the stuff that's been going on to protect our community.
Speaker 3: That's great to hear.
Speaker 2: Can you tell us a little bit about what you've been involved with recently down in Los Angeles.
Speaker 5: So I as far as what I've been involved in Los Angeles, you know, I've been coordinating with some of my colleagues who I knew from residency and just other colleagues just who are all involved in social justice, as well as the CIR, the Physicians Union, you know, who are engaged in trying to like provide medical support to the protests in the area. So I've had experience working on some of the protests that have occurred both in LA and OC.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's really good to hear. I think people will have been spending a lot of time like watching footage the protests right in the last I know what we weekend now, Fuck knows, it seems like a long time. I haven't been sleeping very much.
Speaker 3: Give her take eight to twelve years.
Speaker 4: Time has meant nothing. Yeah, March of twenty.
Speaker 1: Twenty, Yeah, yes, exactly. Yeah, it is flat sixteenth, twenty twenty, and here we are. I people would have seen a lot of people get hurt, right And I, like I said, journalist, like I was in LA last week, you kind of tend to get towards the more violent end of things because that is our job. Most people who go to protest don't get hurt, right, And I don't want people to hear anything we're saying today and think, oh God, I'm going to get fucked up, because most people don't get fucked up. And like my STUNTI is that you don't fight fascist because you think you're going to win or you think you might not get hurt. You fight fascist because they are fascists. And sometimes people do get hurt. So let's talk about the ways that people get hurt. Either of you is welcome to answer this, but like, what are some of the common mechanisms of injury that you see when you are out there street medic king, when the cops are out there hurting people.
Speaker 5: I would say that like in terms of the things that we would typically see, I just want to start off by saying, like, absolutely, we're not out there just because we know that we're going to be successful in any type of advocacy. If that was the case, then we wouldn't have that many people. You know on that front. You know a lot of people know that it's you might be losing ground, but you're not there because you're trying to when you're doing it because you know that you want to be on the right side of history. You want to do the thing that you believe to be morally right. As far as like the type of injuries that you would typically see, I think in order to answer this question, I would kind of break it off into two sections, Like you have mainly protests that have not evolved into violent confrontations with law enforcement, and you have protests where things like you know, for instance, riot control agents have been deployed in like the like the non you know, dangerous side of things, like you might have the kind of stuff that you would encounter in any sort of major events. You know, you're going to deal with dehydration, You're going to deal with people who are, like in an overcrowded areas that might you know, accidentally fall hit and trip over one another. In those kind of circumstances, you know, when we enter into the space where you know, riot control agents are being involved, the quote unquote less lethals non lethals, which I'm going to kind of go into later, is a bit of a non a misnomer. In those circumstances we look at like chemical exposure to things like tear gas, you know, there's a lot of different ways that that manifests that type of exposure, and we can kind of get into that a little bit as well. And then also we have you know, projectile weapons like rubber bullets, you know, flashbangs, those type of things that you might encounter, you know, like sort of blunt trauma to people's bodies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you'd like to add, Miriam.
Speaker 4: I mean, first of all, like you're doing great out there. Good for you for being out there. It's a hell of a time. There's regional variation, I think to some of the stuff that we see. So I am based in New York City, not you know, not all of this the work I've done has been in New York City, but most of it has And in New York City we don't have tear gas. They just don't do it here because the police found out after plowing tear gas extensively during the RNC that the thing about tear gas is it gets sucked into vents, and when it gets sucked into vents, it gets on all kinds of people in the subway and in buildings, and that that causes lawsuits and the NYPD does not enjoy that, so they use pepper spray instead, because pepper spray is more directed, it doesn't linger in the air the same way. You hit the people that you are trying to hit, you know, and anybody else who's walking by, and also your buddies who are standing next to you, because you fired into the wind, which is always a good time.
Speaker 1: Any such cases, Yeah.
Speaker 4: So many, There's a there's a whole series of what we are calling locally pepper pigs, which are pepper pigs. It's what you think it is. So yeah, we see a lot of a lot of pepper spray. We also because one of the primary weapons of the NYPD are just sheer, overwhelming numbers, we see a lot of of just direct hands on violence, just cops hitting people, punching people, throwing people to the ground. We see a lot of very rough takedowns. Now if you're you know, acting as a street medic and in that situation, you don't get to treat those people because if they are taking down by a cop, that they are then swarmed by many other cops and they get taken away, then that's something that we might see when we meet that person later at jail support. But the other weapon that we used to see quite a bit, but haven't in more recent years. Is the l RAT, which is a sound cannon. They do still use it, but they use it to like make announcements and annoy people. They use it to like make obnoxiously loud announcements, but not to blast out people's ear drums, which was sort of its weaponized form. We haven't seen that recently though police will will you know, they all carry tasers. You don't tend to see a lot of that at protests, but it's certainly something that we're constantly aware that they have the ability to do. But yeah, it is here. It's mostly pepper spray, nightsticks, fists, knees, you know that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: I would assume that a lot of what they'd do, like, for example, tear gas was, to my understanding, first developed in World War One, really to cause confusion amongst the enemy. And what I assume a lot of these things that they're using, the sound canons is to create panic and confusion and hopefully get people to run and move in mass, unorganized ways. And I wonder if you're seeing crush injuries, if you're seeing injuries related to just the people moving and being scattered around and running in different directions. Is that something that you have seen in this process, either of you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, just real quick, like to the first thing you said, the absolute like the purpose of every place weapon is to cause fear. One of the reasons that I think they so often use things like tear gas and pepper spray when they could simply choose to not is like one, because they have it because their budgets are outrageous and they have, you know, all the weapons they could ever dream of, and why not, you know, well, we have it. But I think that the other reason they use it is because it does freak people out. It scares people, and so you know a lot of people have had like a big dude shove them before. You know. That's like not a super unfamiliar situation. It's not a great situation. People don't like it, but they kind of they're familiar with it. They're familiar with the concept getting sprayed by a mysterious chemical that makes you feel a thing you've never really felt before. That's a lot scarier, and you don't know what's in it. You don't know what's on your body, you don't know why it hurts the way it hurts, like you just know, like, oh, yeah, I mean, I guess, I guess this is what tear gas feels like. I guess this is what pepper spray feels like. It's frightening. And yeah, people absolutely get hurt running away. It makes it difficult to see. Like squeezing your eyes shut is like a very immediate reaction. So people run, They lose whoever they were at the action with, they get separated from their group, they get disoriented, they may be having trouble breathing. They may be panicking because they're having trouble breathing. Then they're having trouble breathing because they're panicking, you know. So yeah, you do absolutely see all of that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I really want to second what what Miriam has been saying here. You know, as far as like the most common agent that you see in tear gas in the United States at this time, it's believed to be agent CS. And this is something, like you mentioned, it was developed right around the time of World War Two. They started like be coming into effect the the in like the late fifties. A point of thought for this is it was actually made legal for use in warfare in the nineties by the Geneva Convention. So you don't see the US or other armies like using this on SOULDI, but we're using it in protests.
Speaker 4: Well you don't. You don't necessarily see the US military following the Geneva Convention.
Speaker 3: Okay, well we can. That's a fair point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of the walls of low ta gas is one that it is walls of low Those wool people do be using ta gas sometimes, but yeah, they shouldn't be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you're right.
Speaker 2: Is first in the Geneva Conventions in nineteen twenty five, but then nineteen ninety seven specifically it was prohibited. The thought behind that is they did it because they didn't want someone to get one gas and not know exactly what it was and then use the really nasty stuff like sirm gas, et cetera. And the reason our police are able to do it on our protesters is because they're pretty confident that our protesters don't have when they use siren gas, so they feel they feel free to use it at our But speaking of sound canyons and disturbing noises being shot into your ear holes, commercials will be right back.
Speaker 3: All right, we're back.
Speaker 1: We should talk about noxious gases. There has been this persistent rumor. I don't just mean in the last like ten days, there's been a persistent rumor every time that people have been tear gassed that this time the cops are using super tear gas, special tear gas, cancer tear gas. To be clear, like the effects of tear gas on people, especially to my understanding, like people who menstrate, are fucking long term and nasty. So let's just address like what are the reagents in tear gas and what are some of the outcomes we can expect short term and long term? And then do we suspect that the cops are using super tier gas this time?
Speaker 5: Well, I guess in terms of like the agent, like we kind of mentioned it a little bit ago on AGENCS, the more complicated long name oh klaura laden melanitril. So it's actually it's so that's absolutely the kind of thing you talk about in dinner conversations. But the compound itself, it's actually not in a gas form. It's actually a solid. It's a crystalline substance that's released that's aerosolized after any type of like explosion from you know, a grenade or canister and it's as far as you know the types of things that you will experience. It takes effect in the first twenty sixty seconds of contact with the body. It's a nucleophilic substance, so that means it will adhere to tears, it'll adhere to moisture on your skin, like sweat, any type of like saliva or mucus, and like the first things you'll typically notice are the tearing, the redness, burning, blurred vision in your eyes. Specifically on your skin, you could develop burns or rash. A contact dermatitis has also been associated with a development of this on your skin, burning irritation in your mouth. You can also devel running knows the more kind of more serious long term effects that can be more systemic. You can actually develop shortness of breath, wheezing, or chest tightness. You can also develop nausea or vomiting if you ingest much of it while you're in the protest and you kind of already brought it up as well. Unfortunately, we don't have a lot of systemic research that has been done on the impacts of agents like cs that are in tear gas on people, but we have a couple of things that have come up about pregnancy outcomes. We do see increased rates of uterine cramping, menstrual bleeding, breast tenderness, and delayed menstrual cramping as well in pregnancy. We also don't know how well it crosses into breast milk, so you know, it's this kind of challenging question, and the CDC is official like stance on it is this idea that like they don't believe that it crosses. But again, we don't have that research, so we can't know for sure.
Speaker 1: Great cool, good thing to be fogging Loud City blogs with.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well we don't know everything it does, so probably some of it is fine, you.
Speaker 2: Know, James, when you're mentioning how it keeps coming up and there's these concerns of there being like a cause and cancer. We have no proof of that right now, but I mean we really don't know, so it is a little concerning long term, especially journalists like yourself who are exposed to it a lot, so that that is something I would love to see.
Speaker 3: But I mean, how you're going to study.
Speaker 1: It, you're going to find that, Yeah, I mean I don't know.
Speaker 2: Rfka Junior might who knows it might be like, we're not funding real research anymore like vaccine.
Speaker 1: So if we get on the right podcast, we could probably make that happen.
Speaker 2: So before we move off of the gas, let's just talk about treatment of it and what you guys, what you will do out there in the field someone comes to you, and let's try to address some of the most common misconceptions about what you should be treating or how you should be treating.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, ready to go. Since forever, there have been like rumors that there are these I think because of sort of the way that it is mysterious, like the cops have these, like, you know, containers of this awful poisonous, magical potion that they spray on you and then we have to find the antidote. So things that I have heard as being good for tear gas and pepper spray include raw onion, lemon juice, apple cider, vinegar, coca cola, avocado.
Speaker 2: Far it sounds sounds like a nice.
Speaker 4: Great actually, and then the classic milk as well as maylocks. My personal favorite is when somebody like jumps into correct somebody on milk and it's like no, no, no, actually it's milk of magnesia, not regular milk.
Speaker 1: So oh, you got to get it from a which is.
Speaker 4: What you actually do is flush out the eyes with water. I mean, that's it. That's the only thing. It's water. The number of things that should go into a human eye are basically water and any medicine that is designed for the human eye, and saline solution. I guess you know. And definitely you could do an eye flush with saline. It's just that if you have sailine in your bag, it weighs just as much as water, and you can't drink it when you get tired. You can and what you can, but it's not recommended, and you can't refill it from a tap.
Speaker 3: You can drink anything, James, if you know a cow.
Speaker 4: But if you have a bottle of water, you can do a bunch of eye flushes, and then when it starts to run low, you can refill it from a tap because that has water in it too. It's very readily availed water in most places. And all of the other things that are out there that people will tell you you should use, you should not use. I have never seen any good evidence that any of them are better than water at getting pepper spray or cheer gas out of your eye. All of them are kind of predicated on this idea that there's like a chemical reaction you are trying to affect. And then that is sort of further based on the idea that the reason this stuff hurts is because it is acidic. Because I think people think, like, what's a chemical that burns acid? Right? These are not acidic. That is not how they work. They are chemical irritants. And you don't want an acid base reaction in your eye anyway.
Speaker 3: You want to be doing chemistry experiments in your eye.
Speaker 4: You actually usually wear goggles when you do chemistry experiments. I'm not like a chemist.
Speaker 2: But meerium water sure is great. But what about all that fluoride you're getting into your eyeballs? Have you thought about.
Speaker 4: That that'll prevent eye cavities?
Speaker 3: Richard? Anything else to add to that?
Speaker 5: I know, I think you hit the nail on the head, and I think that when when I look at what physicians typically recommend in terms of response to your gas, I always think back on the doctor Glockham fleckin thread that became very popular on on switter.
Speaker 3: I'd be very interested to hear what your thoughts are.
Speaker 5: We're on that on that miriam I think like one of the things that tended to come from from that particular thread because he does have experience as as an ophthalmologist. He mentioned washing your eyes with baby shampoo and rinsing copiously, I think like the challenge with that is obviously, like what Miriaman mentioned, one, water saline are the better options for for irrigating your eyes, especially after exposure. For one, the fact that it's you know, you never know what else, like it's it's better to avoid any other type of irritants that you could, you know, be exposed to your eye. Also the fact, like we already mentioned, the fact that the agents into your gas they're nuclear filth, meaning they're attracted to water. So by using water itself, you are effectively going to help to irrigate it. And you know, we typically recommend anywhere upwards in twenty minutes for that type of exposure. And then as far as I'm not sure if you mentioned milk already, Mary.
Speaker 4: Milk counts me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we can't mention it enough.
Speaker 3: Eyeball cheese.
Speaker 1: We cannot mention eyeball cheese.
Speaker 5: Is the let's let's think about what the context of where we are in a protest. It's very typically outdoors for many hours, usually in summertime. Exactly like the idea of putting this uh you know, this this culture on people's eyes, like I think.
Speaker 6: Far too many is the yogurt actually yogurt as well, you may as well go and get some geg Greek yogurt and pour it on their eyes, so you know, it really gets back to the idea of like constant irrigation.
Speaker 5: Clean water is perfectly fine. If you have water at the protest, usually the best thing to do is have the type of water bottles that have like a flip off cap, so that way you can easily, you know, pour it over their face and then recap it for later use on someone else or yourself. I think the other thing too that's really important to discuss is, you know, because it's this solid aerosolized substance, it can sometimes adhere to your clothing, so you know, there's a couple of different approaches, you know. Physicians for Human Rights has a PDF that I strongly encourage anybody who's listening to review. If you find yourself in the position of either being a protester at a protest or being a medic at a protest, they recommend if you've been exposed it to your gas to hang your clothing afterwards in a heavily ventilated place for up to forty eight hours. If you're not able to do that, placing your clothing in a plastic bag, including your shoes, outside and not mixing it with any of your other non exposed clothing is the ideal response afterwards.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll add when doctor Glockinflecken was on our show talking about this back during George Floyd, we discussed it and the other thing that he recommended, and he is actually not just a very very funny internet person, he's also a very good ophthalmologist. And he also recommended initially when it happened, soon as you can blink rapidly that really helps initiate the tear response. You're still gonna need water, but it's going to help start get that jump started for you, and it's going to require a lot of water. About one to two leaders is generally what people will say. So it's hard to have that much with you on hand when you're out there protesting, but if you're able to, I feel like water is one of the more important things you can bring with you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So to the thing about the baby shampoo. First of all, yeah, I think the recommendation with that is to wash the skin around the eyes with the baby shampoo, not not directly in the eyes, but that that's like a less harsh way of removing the chemicals from the skin there, because you would definitely wash skin with soap and water, but I could see maybe using like a gentler soap directly around the eyes. That makes sense as far as like my technique with doing an eye flush in the streets, a continual twenty minute irrigation just is not feasible.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 4: Sometimes at big actions, you know, medics will set up clinic spaces, tents, stuff like that, and occasionally, very occasionally you can do the like true gold standard of eye irrigation, which is twenty minutes of continual saline irrigation, where you like have a bag of saline like in a hospital, and you plug it into a nasal canula and you tape that to the bridge of the nose and just let the person lie down. That works, but like it's just not feasible in most street situations. So what I do is I will basically I'll put on gloves. I will get consent because you know, anytime you're treating somebody who's been brutalized by the police, you are like you are treating an assault victim, and you should prioritize their consent as much as you can, so I, you know, do a quick like, hey, what's up. My name's Miriam, I'm a medic. Can I help you? I guide them out of the area of immediate danger if they can't see, and then I flush first one eye twice, and then I have them blink a whole bunch, and then the other eye twice, and I have them blink a whole bunch, and then they're usually able to open their eyes and navigate safely on their own. Sometimes they need another round with that, especially if I didn't you know, if I missed, you know, if it's dark and there things are moving around and I miss the eye or something. But usually that gets enough out that they are going to be able to navigate the situation. And because they are tearing a lot, that's part of the flush too, right, the body is doing that on its own and flushing too much with water. I think in that initial moment, you're just washing away tears at that point, So doing like a first round of like forceful of forceful flush. You know, you're really like using a forceful stream to push the chemicals out. And then Okay, their eyes are open, they're still in pain, and like that's just gonna last for a while. Your eyes are going to continue to hurt, and like that sucks. You've been harmed. Somebody did a harmful thing to you, and you are going to continue to have pain for a little while. But if you can see that, your immediate danger is reduced and you can get out of there, and you can, you know, in a calmer moment, maybe do another couple eye flushes, maybe you know, use soap and water on the face, clean up a little bit, and like be a little bit happier with how you feel. But my priority in the immediate moments after somebody's been spread is to like help them so that they can get out of there if they need to, because they probably do.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, speaking of things that will make you tear up, I'm sorry, I'm terrible. Commercials, stay tuned, will be right back, beautiful.
Speaker 1: All right, we are back, and I guess let's talk about rubber bullets or various impact nations, and then let's talk about how people actions people can take to keep themselves a little bit safer. Right, understanding that you are not the one who gets to choose if violence arrives at your protest. The cops are. And we're recording this on Sunday like date in June, and people had their big No Kings March yesterday. They were largely like, extremely nonviolent, and they still got attacked by the cops in La. So let's talk about impact munitions, right. One thing we didn't mention actually was pepper balls. I've had the a combo yeah right, I've had the ill fortune and receiving some pepper balls in the balls. Oh yeah, very uncomfortable. Cops will try and shoot you in the grin.
Speaker 5: I had a colleague who encountered this just a few days ago.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. They had fucking so like, there's no Yeah, it happens with such frequency that you'd have to be really trying to believe that it was an accident. So let's talk about things that can hit you. Right, If we start with pepper balls and then move on up to like what people call rubber bullets, which I think baton rounds is like a more technical description of what they are, or mark a rounds for a big foam or rubber things that hit you. Sometimes they leave a little puff of chalk on you, and theory like that identifies you for the cops to arrest you. I guess in practice it's just another thing that they can use to smash into you. But like, let's talk about some of these things that the cops can shoot from their little guns. Bean backgrounds is another one, right, that comes out of a shotgun, and it's what it sounds like, right, it's a being bad traveling very fast. Somebody here in San Diego lost their eye to one of those in twenty twenty. But let's talk about some of these impact munitions and like what the potential risks are for people there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that, I mean, just the one point I want to bring up in terms of these they're often called in the media non lethal and or or quote unquote less lethals. Yeah, and I think that what's really important to recognize, and you kind of already hinted to with James, people have been killed with rubber bullets, plastic bullets. We actually have. Amnesty International did a report in twenty twenty three that you know, showed that over the course of about five years, you know, dozens of people have died as a result of the use of rubber bullets. We show that between eighteen seventy two to nineteen eighty nine, just in Ireland, sixteen people were killed. In Palestine, between eighty seven and ninety three, twenty people died just from the use of Robert bullets. And you know that's reports. We don't know how many in truth actually were impacted by that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I would also add the British Medical Journal back in twenty seventeen looked at about two thousand little bit or two thousand people who had been affected by these projectiles, and three percent actually did cause immediate mortality, and then fifteen percent was long term chronic injury or illness or some sort of being maimed from the event. So yeah, you're exactly right. It's pretty significant, especially with the number of these that are shot. You know, they don't have to keep record about how many of these they shoot. So actually, one other question I have for you, Richard, that you could help answer to one in la did you see them shooting these things? And you would kind of allude to that you felt that they were actually directing them towards you. Did you feel that, being there as a medical professional, that you were being targeted.
Speaker 5: I myself was fortunate and not hit by a rubber bullet. From witnessing my colleagues who were actually there present at this protest, they themselves were hit with HERR bullets below the navel. He had previous experience from an earlier protest that week where he had actually been strugging. The thing he told me that I remember is like, I'm never going to one.
Speaker 1: Of these things.
Speaker 5: I'm prepared again. Yeah, because he did have that situation where he was kind of hit closer to the groin, so we ended up wearing I remember he was wearing a kind of a fanny pack for this particular protest that we were at, and you could very clearly see the dust marks, like the chalk marks of the bullets struck on this on his on his fanny pack. Yeah, you know, it's it's definitely something that we noticed. Many of the other medics at this event commented that they had been previously struck or targeted once the police began firing rubber bullets. As far as we fortunately we didn't see anybody who was struck you know, closer to the face. But there were reports after the No King's protest yesterday that you know, several people had been struck in the eye or on the forehead. There was one picture I think earlier from earlier this week, that one of the reporters in downtown LA had been struck with a non lethal foam round directly in his forehead and it was this you could see this very clear, enormous wealth the size of like a grapefruit, Yeah, and bleeding and it was it was, you know, very clearly like aiming above at the face.
Speaker 4: In these cases, Yeah, there was a huge number during the Chilean protests in twenty nineteen, twenty twenty, eye injuries were huge. There were hundreds. There's a there's a club somewhere of journalists who've lost eyes to rubber bullets. I think they call themselves the Cyclops Club or something. They're writers, they you know. But yeah, like, these things are incredibly dangerous, and eye injuries especially are really common. Yeah, they are less lethal only in that it is less likely to kill you than being shot with live ammunition. But like most things, are less likely to kill you than live anue.
Speaker 1: Okay, grizzly barry is less likely to kill you.
Speaker 2: My friend Rebecca Watson says, you know, Samurai blade is less lethal than AK forty seven, but it's still not something you want them to have.
Speaker 1: Yeah against you, the ideal if you weren't being attacked doing what is a constitutionally protected right in the US. Yeah, hey, everyone, I just wanted to record a little pick up here to explain a little bit more. I guess about forty milimeter and thirty seven millimeter less lethal projectiles. They are sometimes called baton rounds. I saw baton round written on the Safari Land thirty seven milimeters one, but they are not the same as the baton round you will have seen British military using in Northern Ireland. Most of the modern ones that I am aware of are not designed to be skipped off the ground, albeit there desertainly are, or at least were rubber bullets that were designed to be skipped off the ground at one point. The use of a bullet made of rubber that's fired out of a conventional rifle is very rare. In the United States, there are things called simmunitions, which are munitions fire out of a conventional rifle using a different bolt, and they are generally used for simulated force on force training. You can think about it like going paintballing, but with regular guns orbit with a bolt that makes it so you can't load live ammunition into that gun while it's set up for simmunitions. Those will use extensively. I believe in Columbia identified some ammunition casings. I've not seen those used by police anywhere in the United States. What the LAPD uses is a forty millimeter egg act impact round. It has a plastic body and a sponge nosed and that is designed to be point of ain point of impact, right, so shot at someone like you would shoot a gun at somebody. There are other leslethos in use, even in LA I saw a thirty seven millimeter Safari land round. I saw FN three H three's, which is like seventeen millimeter. I saw pepper balls. Various different versions of LES lethal munitions, but most of the ones that I'm aware of in twenty twenty five are designed for point of a point of impact. They're also extremely dangerous and as we've said here, they can kill you. It's wanting to clarify that, so like, yeah, these things are dangerous, right, like they have caused serious injury or death. Let's assume for a minute that like the folks listening have not attended many actions before, right, that they are right the younger or like, they just haven't been in that world in that part of their life, and they've seen what's happening recently, and they're pissed off and they want to attend. They're afraid, right, and they want to know what they can do, what they can bring, how they can prepare themselves in the understanding that like it isn't one hundred percent safe because the cops can decide to attack you whenever they want. What can people bring? How can people prepare to be as safe as they can be?
Speaker 4: Bring water? I mean not just the eyeflushes, but like bring snacks and water. Like you're going to be out there for a while, you need to keep yourself going. You need to keep your friends going. Bring friends, like be there with somebody who is going to watch your back, somebody who knows a number for like your emergency contact, you know, if you get grabbed, stuff like that, especially if you're new to this, Like try not to run alone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, even if it's like just hooking up with people when you get there, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've been at a protest that was starting to look scary and a woman turned to me and said, I'm here alone. Are you here alone? And I said yeah, and she said, now we're here together, okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, which is beautiful.
Speaker 1: It's good place to make friends.
Speaker 5: It's a very like honest feeling to have. I mean, you're seeing for the problem for many people is probably the first time that you're seeing someone aiming a project out at you and aiming a firearm at you and firing. So yeah, you know, there's a good reason to feel worried. That's like the fact that we have to worry about that in this country period is you know, it's very chilling. I think that, you know, Miriam mentioned it, bringing friends is really important. Something else that like we've talked about in circles in LA I think is like really understanding going in what is the amount of risk that you are willing to take entering into these spaces I think is extraordinarily important. I think some of my colleagues who were at the UCLA protests earlier during the Palestine movement. Yeah, they kind of asked the question, like they kind of framed it in like green light, yellow light, red light, Like in terms of green meaning like I'm okay with you know, whatever risks might be involved, like as far as like what my understanding of what this protest could entail yellow being like I'm I'm not prepared to go so far as to be arrested, but I'm willing to be present on record if necessary, serve as a witness for my other colleagues who are going to be in this space read meaning you know, I'm not necessarily prepared at this point to go that far.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 5: I want to support, but I also don't want to get arrested. And I think it's important to like, you know, recognize that not necessarily shame other people in terms of like where they're at in this Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 7: Understand Yeah, absolutely, because because everybody comes at this from different places, I think it's really important, like when you're in these spaces to like, you know, kind of understand the risk of the other people and who are alongside you.
Speaker 5: Because if you're a medic and you're trying to treat other people and then you have all of a sudden, you're by yourself because the other people are like, well, I you know, this is what I signed up for.
Speaker 3: I'm out.
Speaker 5: That is also scary, even if you're you know, you're very willing to be there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I think just having those conversations and planning more than anything, planning, planning, planning, is extraordinarily important.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that's very well said, great points, and everyone has a different level of risk. And just to be totally clear for our listeners, there was over two thousand different protests yesterday and there was the minimal amount of violence and they were all peaceful. For the protesters were the vast, vast, vast majority peaceful and things went fine, and some like the one I attended, was actually kid friendly, so it was a safe place. But particularly in certain places, there's always a small chance, if not large, and depending on the police presence there, that things could go the wrong way, and it is something to keep in mind. So I particularly liked your point regarding everyone has a different level of risk, and that's okay, you're still contributing. I mean, I'm not a place myself where I'm planning on getting arrested. That's just not something I want to do, but I would like to protest that I would like to support in along those lines, What are ways that other people who have medical backgrounds could potentially contribute or support.
Speaker 5: You in terms of the ways that like medics can you know, respond in these situations. I think for me, I have you know, a box of medical equipment that I want to go to bring on site, like I'm obviously like and said, I'm bringing water because that's going to be foremost like my most useful tool to help anybody who's going to be affected by things like that, like to your deaths.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: As far as other things like having extra masks, I think is really really important, you know, because it's a huge way of reducing respiratory exposure to the aerosols that are going to be in the air.
Speaker 3: And then eye.
Speaker 5: Protection, eye protection, eye protection. Now the thing about like you know, we we've seen different types of protection for your eyes that are effective. We've seen goggles being used, like the ones that you would you would see in a lab. They're not actually effective unless you close the sides the vents with tape because otherwise the aerosols actually can still get inside the mask and irritate your eyes. So if you are going to be like bringing that type of eye protection, it's important to think about that. There's like some higher end, you know, more effective tools that provide both eye protection and helping to filter particles. Just using a basic goggle mask with the vents covered in an N ninety five for just about anybody, I think is a useful tool. So having those types of supplies for people who need them is helpful for sure.
Speaker 4: And as far as like a really low risk thing that people with medical training can do is show up to jail support, because that's like that is a huge way you can help not just people who are arrested, but anybody coming out of jail is by doing jail support. And what that entails is hanging out where people get released. People will usually bring food, drinks, clothes, shoelaces. People often get out without shoelaces, belts, and like a couple of you know, extra layers of clothes if people get let out and it's cold, and check out people's injuries. Often people will be taken to the hospital during processing if they have something that the police can't ignore, but people often get released with injuries and it can be really good to have somebody there who can evaluate them. Honestly, it's often just giving them like a judgment call on, do you think this needs somebody else to take a look at it, you know, in a professional environment, or can I put some ice on it and go home type thing. And almost everybody getting out of jail has handcuff injuries if they were arrested in a mass arrest, because in mass arrest situations, cops tend to use the plastic zip ties, which can get incredibly tight, even more so than metal handcuffs, which have a little bit a little length of chain. They strain the shoulders, especially larger people. Especially if somebody has a bag on their back, cops will often cuff them in such a way that the bag pushes on their hands and makes the cuffs increasingly tight. And having a medical professional or a street medic or even somebody who's like just there to like take a look and be like, yeah, man, I see that that's really fucked up that they did that to you. I'm so sorry can be useful. Having somebody there to witness an acknowledge and to document if somebody is planning on doing something with that, you know, then that's that's important too. So if you cannot be arrested, find out what's happening with jail, support and go support them because that's chill, that's calm.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 4: I mean, there are no guarantees in this world but now, but it is far more likely to be chill and calm. Yeah, and you can hang out and eat snacks. Oh and this is the one situation where, medically speaking, bring cigarettes. People want cigarettes when they get out of jail and they need, they deserve a fucking cigarette. Is it good for them?
Speaker 3: No? I know, I just am sorry. I hate cigarettes so much. I listen.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to say you can't, but I will never give someone a cigarette. It goes against I'll bring things. I just can't listen. There's certain lines I will draw as a doctor. One I have to help everybody if I don't like them. Two, I can't give them cigarettes even if I like them, So I just can't. Those are two things I can't bring myself to do. The cigarette one really a duds me crazy, but I get.
Speaker 4: In that case. Maybe bring some cards for whatever your local public transit is, or failing that, you know, have some cash on hand to send people home in a taxi or have somebody who standing by with a car to help people get home. Stuff like that that's really important for jail support, perhaps even more important than a cigarette.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would add that another thing you can do if you're a medic plea like a medical professional especially, it's helped other people learn really bagic skills. You didn't even have to be at a protest, right it could be a week laser. There are medical professionals who do street medic training. You can teach people stop the bleed in a day and potentially save someone. It's like and so if it's not something that you you know, are skilled enough to teach, and you need to be honest about whether you're skilled enough to teach that or not. You know, if you've watched a forew YouTube videos and you're not, that's something you could use to really help other people who are who are going to be there at a time when you're not comfortable or safe being there. I guess for the end of the show to wrap up, if people are just attending to be fucking mad, and there are a lot of people who are fucking mad right now, what should they bring And if people want to access training, right, Like, what are some some resources that you would suggest, What are some types of training in terms of like first aid that people can access, so that people should access if they're the thinking of attending these things and they're worried.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think in terms of the type of first aid that you need to be really conscious of, especially in any any type of like event where you're going to be with a lot of people and you're going in as a medic. And this isn't just for protest. I think it's for any type of event. We do live in a world where, unfortunately, there is a lot of mass shootings. Even if they're firing rubber bullets, we don't know who else may also attend, who may also be going with the intention of being violent. So I mean, you mentioned it yourself, stopped the bleed. Having basic understanding of how to what types of on the field first aid should be done for individuals who have got received a gunshot wound, I think is really important if they've been struck by a car. We've already seen earlier this this weekend that there were shootings in I believe in a couple of different cities. It's I'm missing, which one unfortunately happened, But I do know of at least one report of a tesla being driven into a crowd of protesters this weekend, So it was, Yeah, if I.
Speaker 4: Get killed by a tesla, I'm gonna be so fucking mad.
Speaker 1: Indignity.
Speaker 2: That is the thing that concerns me the most most protests is some actor coming in from outside to do something like that. That part really does concern me, especially because so many of these are are, like I mentioned, kind of family friendly, and they should be. I think families for the most part, should be able to come to these things. So that is something that I'm always constantly on the lookout for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, cars fucking scammy, like experienced car bombs in my career, but also just like cars driving into crowds of course undouled damage, and Americans do be loving large cars. Yeah, and the cops won't stop them, Like at least in La. My experience with the cars were kind of in and out the whole time, and that did not make me feel secure.
Speaker 5: We had one individual who was stood in front of a van that was carrying ice agents and that person essentially got run over. In that situation, they were not at all stopping for.
Speaker 1: That big car, it's a big risk. Like I guess with that in mind, one thing I think about sometimes when these things is like you don't want to be going into this, like like traumatizing yourself by doing this. But a degree of situational when is to include what are my points of cover and what are my ways out? It's good to have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it helps.
Speaker 1: It helps me feel safer anyway.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And that's another huge reason to always run with a buddy, right because if you're running with a buddy especially, I mean I think I personally think that if you are doing medical stuff, you should always have a buddy just because if you're going to be stopped and like somebody's got to watch your back and like it's and you know you might need a second opinion, you can call in that buddy for a consult. You know. The Medic Collective that I run with on really big action days, we'll put together like little bingo cards that will distribute to all the medic buddy pairs as a situational awareness game. So like if we're alllling out to this, you know, to a big, big action, we'll put like there'll be squares for like a cop who clearly is not awake, or your ex, or you know, a person who forgot sunscreen, or you know, just just things to look out for. Yeah, and I think honestly like making a little bit of a game like that if you're going to be out all day, can be kind of fun. And it also makes you keep looking. It makes you not just look down at your feet as you as you march another mile, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, please, there's another great reminder. Please prepare for the weather, prepare for the elements. Bring water, bring sunscreen, bring hats, all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Sunscreen can trap the chemical irritant next to your skin. I like to wear a sun hoodie like you can get hoodies with a SPF. I am pay a lass person, right, some of you can see me.
Speaker 3: For listeners, It is indeed true.
Speaker 4: Who's gonna say, is that sun hoodie y? You in no way have a watch tan?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay yeah, friends, friends can see my absolutely brutal tan right now. When I was a bike racer, I used to have the logos of my sponsors burned into my back.
Speaker 3: And that was cool and normal.
Speaker 4: That's unsettling, literal.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, yeah, yeah, that was a political moment for me. Actually, yeah, I like to wear sun hoody because sunscreen it can trap immergance against your skin. But if it's a creamy kind, right, I think after point it absorbs and it doesn't. But I've definitely experienced that kind of paste on your skin kind of situation. Interesting, some of the gnalhliest like injuries I've seen have been heat related at protests. If you're organizing a protest, don't send it straight up a fucking hill, Like just don't let go easy on people. You know, the people will be bringing a lot of stuff and they have signs and stuff like a mant of weather comfy shoes. Go easy on them with the with the hill climbing. And then because you're doing it in the middle of the day often as well, like you know, don't help people, Richard. I know you were going to mention somebody else.
Speaker 5: The thing I was trying to to mention this is this is less so for i'd say ems non physician individuals. Actually, before the podcast, I had a chance to talk with one of the regional vice presidents for CIR, the Physicians Union that I was formerly a part of when I was in my residency.
Speaker 3: Kayla.
Speaker 5: She has a lot of experience being involved in protests and street medicine, and the thing that she likes to mention is like, physicians have a tendency to want to do a lot in a moment, and so Miry mentioned situational awareness. I think situational awareness is extremely important.
Speaker 3: Being able to.
Speaker 5: Know when you have the time to to do a certain intervention versus when it's time to like get this person out of here and to a safer place, I think is like very very important.
Speaker 3: Ya, So less does.
Speaker 5: More in these situations, is what I would say is pretty important.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: One thing I do like as a journalist, primarily not a visual one. I often work with photographers right as a two person team. I have been a photographer protest in the past, and your world is very small in that viewfinder, and it's kind of the same if you're helping someone right who's injured, that becomes your whole shit. I will have my physically have my hand on my photographer a lot of the time on their back right, and if they need to start moving backwards, I am going to start moving them backwards. Obviously, you don't want to leave someone who's hurt but like if you're the buddy, it's good to be that close to the person who's providing care so that you can have a way out if you need to have a way out.
Speaker 2: This was so incredibly useful, helpful and insightful. We appreciate both of you coming on. Let's close up here. What I would like to do is not only plug something for yourselves, but what I'd like to hear and our listeners actually enjoy, is to hear something that's bringing you some joy in these times. Some piece of media, art, film, book, podcast, anything, you name it, a good restaurant that you really love. You want to give a shout out to whatever it is, something that's bringing you a little bit of joy.
Speaker 3: So let's do those two things. Miriam.
Speaker 2: Let's start with you. What can we plug and what's something that's bringing you some joy?
Speaker 4: So thank you for having me on. This was delightful. So I will plug Strangers in a Tangled Wilderness, which is the collective that I'm a part of. You can find us at Tangled Wilderness on Blue Sky and Instagram and nowhere else. And we have a website which is Strangers and a Tangled Wilderness. We have a Patreon all that stuff. But the main thing I want to tell you about those guys over there is that James and I did a podcast recently for the show lives Like the World is Dying on protest health and safety, and we go really in detail on specifics of gear, specifics of first aid techniques, and I think people should maybe check it out if they're if they're going to be out there.
Speaker 1: We'll put it in the show note.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because we're professional podcasters like that.
Speaker 1: You can craze on to take it happen here if you'd like to find the show notes.
Speaker 3: Right. Wait, Miriam, So what's the thing that's bringing you joy?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 1: I have remember that, Joey.
Speaker 4: I'm earlier with the concept. I have been rewatching the Shira and the Princesses of Power cartoon.
Speaker 3: Wow, nice love it? What about Jim? She is outrageous.
Speaker 4: You know they didn't remake that as an overtly queer Netflix series, so I have had less exposure to it. But you know, cartoons sword lesbians can't argue with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah that sounds pretty awesome, all right, Richard? What about you?
Speaker 5: As far as something to plug I am a huge pleasure of being able to work on onlue Sky, helping to put together the med Sky feeds. So if you're on blue Sky, be sure to subscribe to our labeler so that way you can get your medical specialty on your accounts and you can get your posts on one of our forty different feeds. And then also as a Latino, I can't leave the podcast without mentioning also we are working on Latin Sky and it's a it's it's a it's the amount of latinidad and joy that I've been seeing on that feed over the last few days, despite the pain, it's been very inspiring. So I think that's like the plug that I want to put out there, and as far as a thing that brings me joy right now, I like I was torn. I heard it like a bunch of people have already plugged and or, so I'm not gonna plug and or.
Speaker 3: But can you yeah, you know, I'm gonna.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna give some love to Ryan Coogler's Cinners, which.
Speaker 3: Is easily one of the number of cast movies.
Speaker 5: I have seen in at least the last five years. It is an extraordinary movie. Every everything about that movie is like art. I just hope that Ryan cooler can just make original movies for the rest of his life and that he doesn't have to like be stuck doing franchise stuff because when he's just given a canvas, he he makes beautiful, beautiful art.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right on, right on.
Speaker 2: That's for the So James, what about what about you?
Speaker 3: What we plug? What can you plug for you?
Speaker 1: What can I plug? There was a hot dog guy who went on the freeway in Los Angeles when everyone else went on the freeway, So that person's a fucking hero. I would let you know if you're if you're in the I'm vegan, so you know, maybe the bun, but for the rest of you, get after it. You know you can. You can listen to my podcast. You may be already are it could happen here if you have. I haven't listened. It would mean a look to me if you had listened to the podcast I made in the Dadian Gap last year when I traveled with migrants who were on their way to the United States. Those people and their stories are really important to me. So if you would listen to one thing I ever made, it would be that you can find it by searching Dadien where Dreams Die, and then it could happen here podcast, and it will come up unless you're using a really shit search engine a Google has been even more fucked by AI. And then, in terms of stuff that gives me joy, recently, I have been listening to like the music of the anti apartheid movement. Again, I kind of when I was a very young person, my sort of first exposure to activism was through people who had resisted apartheid in South Africa, and they were very inspiring to me, and they still are very inspiring to me. I listened to that music with them, right, Like apartheid, to be clear, ended when I was eight years old, but like it was cool because it seemed like at that point the good guys were winning, right and so hey, we fucking anyway. I listened to that because it reminds me that they always lose in the end. So yeah, I enjoy like the Specials and Eddie Grant and even the incredibly eclectic Sun City album.
Speaker 3: Great Choices, Great Choices.
Speaker 2: And for if you happen to be listening on the House of Pod, you've heard James come and talk about the Darien Gap. That was a really amazing story and it resonated with a lot of listeners, and you should listen to the full multi part series that he put out on that if it's so much better, So please do that for me. If you happen to be listening on it could happen here. Listen to the House of Pod.
Speaker 3: You like it.
Speaker 2: You'll hear James and lots of people you already known love and meet some new people. And you'll hear us make fun of medical grifters in the wellness community and that sort.
Speaker 1: Of thing as well members of the cabinet.
Speaker 3: And I believe it. Yeah, boy.
Speaker 2: As for the thing that's bringing me joy, I recently had a chance to expose my kids on a long drive to the work of Jeff Buckley, who is for you younger listeners out there. You may not know who he was because he unfortunately passed away when he was only thirty, but he was really a once in a generation talent.
Speaker 3: His was a voice.
Speaker 2: His songwriting transcended different genres. There was rock, there's jazz, there was folk. He could span a vocal range that just really is amazing. And he only had one studio album, Grace, but it is amazing and I highly recommend that or really any of his Live Album's Mystery White Boy, They're all fantastic. His cover of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah is the best version of it in my opinion.
Speaker 3: I will fight you. I will fight you.
Speaker 2: If you say rufus waynewright better, I will physically fight you. So it's just raw and beautiful and I hope you guys check it out if you haven't already. Last thing I'll plug June twenty eighth, if you happen to be in the Bay Area, my band will be playing at the Hotel Utah in San Francisco. It is one of my favorite places to watch or play music, and it's just super fun. Come up and say hi, and we'll chat and we'll maybe share a drink if we have time. Okay, thank you all so much. Thanks James.
Speaker 3: This was fun. Huh yeah, that was fun.
Speaker 1: It's beautiful. I had a nice time.
Speaker 3: Let's do it again.
Speaker 8: Okay, bye, it could happen. Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources for it could happen here. Listened directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.