Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to it. Hope you had a lovely weekend if you had a long one. We're back here with brand new episodes. It's the Brig and Jeffrey Podcast. Thank you for being here, and it.
Speaker 2: Was short and normal.
Speaker 3: I hope it was lovely.
Speaker 2: Still like Brook true true.
Speaker 1: All right, so comments before we get into this brand new episode.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Adam Rodriguez said, I've been a listener since twenty eighteen. You guys have tought me smile through the tough years. Now you get me through my ten hour shift at work and come for me on my group motorcycle rides. Keep up the great work, Adam from San Antonio, Texas.
Speaker 1: Why did I picture him with a group of people on his motorcycle and that's the group.
Speaker 2: Motorcycle ride like a circus?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, everybody, jump up my bill, get off my dad.
Speaker 2: You're gonna fall. Be safe out there.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening, and your brand new episode starts right now.
Speaker 2: I'm going to read a headline for you, Okay. Suburban mother of two refuses to pay gen Z babysitter after she watched her kids.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's going to trigger people.
Speaker 2: It's not a laser story. It's an actual situation one of our listeners is dealing with, and it's not a ton of money. But the reason why this woman won't pay her is so ridiculous. She asked for our help. Oh, I want to hear it. Now she's gonna have to call and confront this lady. Oh, you know this is going to be uncomfortable. It's the case of the bitter babysitter and the penny pinching parent in your brandline, Yeah, we should write for the news brand new awkward Tuesday phone call?
Speaker 3: Next, it's awkward.
Speaker 2: It's Tuesday.
Speaker 3: It's awkward Tuesday phone call.
Speaker 2: If you listen to our show regularly, you know that our own Brook Fox is a proud value shopper. Oh yeah, very proud aka Cheatskate. Jeff, you got that insulted me? You thought wrong? No, I know she will take every opportunity to pay less money than she probably should. With cubea rewards.
Speaker 1: Car, yes, whatever app and loyalty program I need to sign up for.
Speaker 3: I'm doing it.
Speaker 2: Whatt a email account?
Speaker 3: Oh? Oh got it?
Speaker 1: I have three just dedicated to that.
Speaker 2: Brook will even tip the weight staff and then once they turn around, secretly exchange that twenty dollars note with a one dollar bill and sneak out the back door.
Speaker 3: She ran out of her counterfeit.
Speaker 4: You saw that.
Speaker 2: Everybody saw it, Brooke, And I know Brooke will agree with me on this. Okay, but the price of child's care, not just daycare, but babysitting is higher now than ever before.
Speaker 3: Even I've heard about this.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna tell you that's why you need to find someone between the age of thirteen and fifteen to watch your kids. Oh sure, they may not be super responsible, but they're not that into boys.
Speaker 2: Yet, so it helps. And they don't know how to sue you when you undertake it. That's kind of nice. The thing is, Brook, we do have a babysitter on the phone right now. Wait needs our help, Missy. Welcome to the show. First of all, how long have you been babysitting for? Like, are you a professional nanny or is it more of a side gig thing.
Speaker 7: I am actually a nursing student, so this isn't.
Speaker 2: Your professional job. You're just doing it on the side to pay for your bills and books and stuff.
Speaker 7: That's correct.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Are you with the same family as it always just the one family?
Speaker 8: So I based it for like four to five families here and there, okay, and there's one like I don't know if I should even say their name, the Fox House.
Speaker 1: Yes, like, if you're going to find a good babysitter, it's worth the money. But is that the problem? The money?
Speaker 8: Yeah, it is sort of the money.
Speaker 2: So yeah, what's going on?
Speaker 8: So this family that I watch, I watched they're seven and their five year old. They're really great kids.
Speaker 5: The dad is super nice that the mom.
Speaker 8: Is really hit or miss. He's just a very strange woman. Yes, So this time the parents go out. Everything's fine. They're out for like four hours, and usually the mom then love me after. But I've waited a few days and I got nothing.
Speaker 1: Okay, did you get her up? Because like sometimes what happens, especially with Venmo, is like all of a sudden, the kid needs you and then you get sidetracked and then you just transfer, you.
Speaker 2: Just space it, right.
Speaker 7: So I did text her.
Speaker 8: I usually Venmo request her, but I followed up and I said, Hey, if you don't mind, can you please Venmo me the eighty dollars when you can cool?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 8: So she texts me back and she goes every I'm literally going to read it to you, so it says, Missy, every time you're here, I noticed you enjoy our food. So if we're counting the ice cream you ate and the deli sandwich you made.
Speaker 7: With the chips, we're pretty even.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, that so wild.
Speaker 8: Also, like I'm pretty sure when I first started, both her and the dad were like, whenever the kids eat, like, you're welcome to make for yourself.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, Well, hold on, how much of the ice cream did you go through? The entire pint of ven and Jerry's and that you made?
Speaker 8: Even if I did, it's not eighty dollars worth of ice cream.
Speaker 2: That's the amount that.
Speaker 1: You're And that's so weird. Like, I'm sorry, when you invite someone into your house, you give them your food. I mean, it's just what it.
Speaker 2: Is, even if you're not working for you.
Speaker 1: Yours used to text you that you babysit a.
Speaker 4: She asked me to eat before I come over because I always go after practice and eat all their food, and she's like, you just eat before you come over.
Speaker 2: Food saved you.
Speaker 3: For how much?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 4: But she told me she didn't a.
Speaker 8: Duck out of my pay, so.
Speaker 2: But is left with two grocery bags filled with items.
Speaker 5: So she did chop the whole food. She had that good stuff.
Speaker 2: I see, all right, that's how did you respond to that text? That's a pretty aggressive text.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So furthermore, she offers me twenty dollars.
Speaker 1: What she's like, you ate sixty dollars worth of ice cream? She must be tallying like all the other times things. Is that what you're thinking?
Speaker 8: I've maybe, But even if that's true, that's kind of crazy to be keeping tabs on me like that and counting every item of food in your refrigerator, like you can afford to have a babysitter, like you can afford to give me a sandwich.
Speaker 6: How I feel it's like a restaurant, Like if you can't tamp and don't go out.
Speaker 1: And if you're going to invite someone to come over to your house, especially at a meal time.
Speaker 6: To take care of your children, you feed them.
Speaker 2: You clearly feel slighted by this mother who's refusing to pay you the full amount that you're owed. What what are you looking to get out of doing this phone call with us?
Speaker 8: I'm confused as to what to do, basically because Furthermore, she blocks me so that I can't ask her a third time for it.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, and so I don't know if I'm out of a job.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you're for sure out of a job.
Speaker 3: You don't want a job anymore anyway.
Speaker 7: Yeah, agreed. But like I'm owed eighty dollars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you need your money.
Speaker 2: So you want our advice on how to call this mom and get the full eighty dollars.
Speaker 8: That's you're owed, right, I just want what's oh it to me.
Speaker 7: I don't care what happens after that. I just I need my money. Wow.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's going to be hard.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm sure Alexis will give grade advice. She is so good demanding money.
Speaker 4: I want to pay ten dollars an hour for two kids for four years.
Speaker 1: Maybe I should hire Alexis as my next baby.
Speaker 2: And half of your pantry is going to be rated afterwards. Ten bucks an hour, that's so yeah. Okay, So we're going to think of our best advice for what to give you and what you should say to this mother before you make your awkward Tuesday phone call and you get sweet sweet financial justice.
Speaker 1: As sweet as that ice cream.
Speaker 2: Forward, we'll have our advice for you when we do your awkward Tuesday right after this.
Speaker 3: Hold on, it's awkward.
Speaker 2: It's Tuesday.
Speaker 3: It's awkward Tuesday phone call.
Speaker 2: If you're just joining us, we've got quite the show down on our hands. You've heard of the rumble in the jungle. Well, this is the tussle in the toy room. A babysitter versus the mom who refuses to pay her the rate that they had agreed upon because after four hours of child's care, our listener Missy was owed eighty dollars for her babysitting work, and the mom texted her back saying, well, you ate a bunch of our ice cream and made yourself a sandwich while you were there, so we're probably equal. And it is important to note that the mom blocked her on text and on Venmo after that never paid her. That's why we're here to help Missy get her hard earned money before she never has to work for this lady ever again. Yeah, and all we need to do is give her a little bit of advice for how to accomplish that. So, Brooke, what are your thoughts? What do you think Missy should do here?
Speaker 1: Well, first, I think you should start reasonable and nice. Okay, you say, listen, this is a pain. Let's just make it all go away for the eighty bucks.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: If she doesn't agree with you, Missy, you let her know that word is going to get around to all the other babysitters in the area. And if she ever wants to hire a babysitter again, she'd better pay up.
Speaker 7: So play the blackmail car.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, a mother's greatest fear is not being able to get away from her.
Speaker 2: Children, Missy. Do you feel like you're strong enough to blackmail a mother of two?
Speaker 7: Honestly, I'm pretty confident myself. Yes, I think I think.
Speaker 4: The other sitters.
Speaker 2: All right. It's not very often we tell people to blackmail mothers.
Speaker 1: But listen, sometimes justice is dirty.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, that's one piece of advice for you, Jose. What do you think, Well, this lady.
Speaker 6: Has already been mean to you and blocked you, and if she ends up hanging up, just call the school where her kids go, liquidate their lunch funds and then go pick up the money from the front desk after school.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, yes, Jose, you can tell you how that works.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: I'm Amanda's dad would like to cash out all her money. I'll there in ten minutes.
Speaker 2: Well, yes, but the babysitter, I don't know if they would be able to get the school to agree to that.
Speaker 1: A parent could agree to that box into my kids lunch funds, and I don't think I'm ever going to see it again.
Speaker 2: Don't feed my children for a month? What do you think about that? Missy?
Speaker 8: So at their school, actually they have like a designated pickup and it's me. Yeah, so I may be on some sort of list.
Speaker 4: You don't want to involve the kids.
Speaker 2: So far, the advice we've given is to blackmail mothers and not feed children, sleep with her husband? Is that what you?
Speaker 3: Just an option.
Speaker 2: Always on the table, all right. I don't know if we've helped at all. We may have actually hurt you.
Speaker 7: Miss I think there's some stuff I could use in there, definitely.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're going to be on the phone in the background. I'm ready to jump in and tell this mother what's up?
Speaker 9: All right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a mom and mom. Actually, here we go. Hopefully all goes smoothly. She just agrees to pay the money, big misunderstanding. Yeah, That's what I'm hoping for me here we go. I'm down on it right now.
Speaker 5: Hello.
Speaker 7: Hello, Hi, Alice. Hello, who is this Hi? It's Missy.
Speaker 5: How are you missing? How are you calling me? Why are you calling me? I blocked you?
Speaker 8: Yes, I'm aware you blocked me. That's why I'm calling you because you owe me money.
Speaker 5: I don't owe you running money, sweetheart.
Speaker 8: We want you.
Speaker 7: Oh please don't call me, sweetheart.
Speaker 8: You owe me eighty dollars for babysitting your children. That was the agreed upon rate, and I would just like it so we can end this whole thing.
Speaker 5: Yes, sure, no problem, as soon as you pay me back for all the ice creaming. Ways. You know, I have a camera in the house and I think that's the food you put on your sandwich. I'm sure how you took my son pay up the sandwich and you ate it instead of saving it for him. But what's the matter with you?
Speaker 9: You know?
Speaker 5: And the last time your baby stopt for me, it was for four hours, but the kids were next door for two and a half of those hours. You just had to be sitting in the house. Meanwhile, you ate everything I put out for their smoothies when I came back. And what did you do? Nothing? You didn't do anything. I know, eighty dollars, get a little break.
Speaker 8: If you could just stop yelling at me for a second, I can straighten that out for you. The kids actually ate next door, which is why they didn't need to have those smoothies at that point in time.
Speaker 7: Also, your son didn't.
Speaker 8: Want to finish his sandwich, so I finished it because I hadn't had lunch that day. I didn't think it was that big of a deal. Also, you and your husband were very clear from the beginning that whatever the kids ate and whatever I had prepared for them, I was welcome to some too. I am not a glutton. I am not eating you out.
Speaker 5: Of house and home, and I sure myself.
Speaker 8: I'm not robbing you. So I don't know what the problem is or what are.
Speaker 5: My female products aka tampons?
Speaker 3: They're no.
Speaker 7: Excuse me, Okay, I know.
Speaker 5: What everything messed in my house, and I know what's missing on it's missing okay, missy.
Speaker 8: Okay. First of all, it's very strange to you count your tampons. But second of all, next time I'll call you an ask if I can have one, and if you say oh, I'll just bleed all over your couch.
Speaker 5: That's fine. No, your generation, you know, they're so spoiled. They're twenty dollars an hour the afferent only fans. Okay, there's a bit.
Speaker 7: We didn't agreed upon.
Speaker 5: Four hours an hour in my day. What are you doing? You're sitting on your booty button and you're and you're on your phone talking to your little buddies and eating.
Speaker 8: My pay our alley. I am entitled to the eighty dollars that I earned by watching your children.
Speaker 7: I will never watch them again if that makes you happy, but that would be agreed upon.
Speaker 5: Rad Oh my god, you know, Missy, you won't have a contract. What are you gonna do ron take me to all claims quarter or something that takes forever. And you're not going to get a dawn for me? Okay, okay.
Speaker 7: I don't think you.
Speaker 8: Can find a babysitter, to be honest with you, because I'm going to tell every babysitter in the area of every kid in your kids class that I know not to work for you.
Speaker 9: I'm scared.
Speaker 2: Alice, Alice, are you there?
Speaker 9: Who are you?
Speaker 2: We're a radio show. God, your your babysitter. Missy reached out for help with this thing.
Speaker 8: Right right.
Speaker 5: That generation does that.
Speaker 2: Okay, A long time. Can't be that old.
Speaker 1: You have a five and seven year old stuck like, what are you doing?
Speaker 5: You know one, I don't have the answer to you. I don't know you. I was talking to Missy.
Speaker 1: I thought Missy was doing a great job.
Speaker 4: You'll handle yourself so advocating for herself.
Speaker 2: Listen, thank you, Alice. This is called an awkward Tuesday phone call. And we're on missy side on this because she told us about the situation that you're in. You. It sounds like you're trying to throw Missy in jail just because she ate some food.
Speaker 5: I never said she could eat the food, Okay, I never.
Speaker 2: We heard the phone call. We heard you talking to her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you said specifically, you ate the ice cream. I'm not going to pay you the money.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and the other half of the sandwich.
Speaker 5: All right, So she ate my food. She didn't get eighty dollars. You want me to give her to eighty dollars so I could get rid of all of you.
Speaker 8: Okay, we will do that, Alice.
Speaker 3: Alice is the problem.
Speaker 1: You can't afford.
Speaker 5: It, Lady, looking at me, Lady, I'm talking to you. I make more than you.
Speaker 8: Okay, I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't need this. I make more than you.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, you want to prove it.
Speaker 2: Well, Alice did know about OnlyFans, so maybe there is a little bit of it. So I was impressed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you want to use this time to promote your channel?
Speaker 2: Alice?
Speaker 5: Don't you slander me. I'm not on that felthy site.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, somebody in your house is to.
Speaker 3: Know the race.
Speaker 2: We're not trying to slander you, were just asking that you do the humane thing and pay your babysitter the money that you said you would pay.
Speaker 9: Shut up, I would pay her, Okay, okay, we will pay her, just to get rid of you and to get rid of that woman you're talking to there, and you get rid of the other guy you're talking to there, and get you the hell off the phone.
Speaker 2: You are very very reasonable, Alice, and I appreciate you.
Speaker 3: Missy.
Speaker 2: Do you want to say thank you now to Alice for agreeing to pay you the money? She's been so nice about it.
Speaker 8: Yes, you are being extremely gracious. Thank you so much, Alice. I really appreciate you paying me what you Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 1: We never have sarcasm on this show.
Speaker 5: There, but you're going to get your eighty dollars and don't worry about me. I'll get all the babysitters you.
Speaker 8: Okay, Oh, I'm not worried about you, Alice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I sound like a delight, Jeffine. I feel the good vibes, happy, and I know this isn't a second date update, but I would like to offer to send the two of you out to grab some ice cream together.
Speaker 8: I may eat all of it and she may get upset.
Speaker 2: Screw you.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm done.
Speaker 3: I am done.
Speaker 5: I'm done. I will talk to you. Never count your tampons.
Speaker 7: We didn't bring that up.
Speaker 3: That was weird, weird.
Speaker 5: Jeffrey in the morning so much.
Speaker 2: We didn't even get to really discuss in that call because the woman hung up on us so quickly.
Speaker 1: The dampon thing was wild.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, a lot of gangs.
Speaker 6: Out of nowhere accusation that wasn't even true.
Speaker 1: How could this woman sometimes be Okay, she's on the board, sometimes she's crazy, not like she.
Speaker 6: Just always is always annoyed by the younger generation always.
Speaker 2: I mean, I honestly, I don't even blame her for trying to get away because every single sentence that she said was just self and crim so I would have wanted to get off the phone with us too. But after the call was over, we did get an update from Missy. She received the eighty dollars Venmo payment, did a certain emoji attached to it? Our producer said, it was just one finger. Okay, I guess I'm the phone number one.
Speaker 3: You're the best babysit.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you it's the thumbs up because she got the money and everything's a okay, that's it, and you do two of those at the peace side. Hey, look at that. Look if you enjoy these calls, we just asked you to take one finger and hit subscribe on our podcast. Whichever finger you want to hear, you go for it. It's Brook and Jeffrey in the Morning.