Speaker 1: Hi, everyone, I'm Rachel Zoe and you're listening to Climbing in Heels. The show is all about celebrating the most extraordinary superwomen who will be sharing their incredible journeys to the top, all while staying glamorous. Today with me, we have my favorite duo of festies, the incredible Cleia Cher and Joanna Teplin from the Home Edit. Together, we speak about the beginnings of their insane organizational skills, like actually insane, moving to Nashville and why both for their husbands and meeting on a blind friendship date that turned into their most amazing business. The girls also talk about when they have their moments where they need to mentally shut off, relax, and of course recuperate, but of course they're still together during absolute silence. First of all, I'm so happy to see you both and speak to you both, and you know you're such dear friends. I obviously know how you guys came together. I don't want to make you tell your whole life story, but what I do want to talk about, how in God's.
Speaker 2: Name did you get here.
Speaker 1: It's funny because I remember meeting you for the first time and hearing about you from a few friends, and I obviously fell in love with you guys because you were so funny and so silly and so passionate, right And for me, the magnet that I have to certain people are when they have a passion for what they do, no matter what it is, If you like are smiling and excited and put your whole self into it, to me, that's the draw right absolutely, And so I think with both.
Speaker 2: Of you it's very clear this is your passion.
Speaker 1: All you have to do is spend ten minutes with you in any closet or anywhere, and the OCD really kicks in high. And so sure I want to kind of understand a little bit. Who were you as a kid? Like were you always like cleaning up? So sure, both of you like that are not?
Speaker 3: Really this is actually my favorite question.
Speaker 4: Joanna's smiling because she knows, like truly this just is it hits to my soul because the most amazing thing is that I was. But Joanna went through a real flob period. That is just it's like my favorite thing for people to ask. I love it, But I think she pays people to ask. I literally am like, if you could just ask this question because all this you know what, here's what I'll tell my story and Joanne can explain.
Speaker 2: But it's beautiful. Can I tell you why?
Speaker 1: Because it shows that there's hope for people that aren't like Clea.
Speaker 2: So Clia tell me, So you were born like this.
Speaker 4: So I was born this way, and I now use my powers for good and not evil. But when I was a kid, I would spend an inordinate amount of time in my room making everything just so. I would move furniture around, like what I would do on like spring break.
Speaker 3: I remember the first day of spring break.
Speaker 4: I was like, well, this is this room is my home, like this is my apartment, and I am going to make sure that every like my bed is made every morning, that everything is perfect. And I was going to set up my little you know, my reading station whatever it was. You know, back of the day, we didn't have iPad, like this was like my the what I did in my room was my entertainment.
Speaker 1: That way, you just want to take the electronics for our kids, so they do the same.
Speaker 3: I kind of do.
Speaker 4: And Stella, if she were here, she'd be like, oh, but like I do that just on roadblocks, Like I like make like a nice room.
Speaker 3: But I just I'm like, Okay, that's not the point.
Speaker 4: But there was a portion of my younger life before my mother remarried and then my stepdad went to adopt me. But my mother was a single mom until I was in I would say, the fourth grade, fourth or fifth grade.
Speaker 2: It's pretty pivotal, it is.
Speaker 4: It was pivotal. And my mom was the hardest worker ever. She inherited my grandfather's business, and even when she and she just retired a few years ago, my dad has been like begging her to not but it's just it's who she is. And everyone in my family join and I talk about this a lot. Every single person in my family is an entrepreneur. No one ended up working for a company. Everyone worked for themselves, and so that's what I witness growing up. And that's, you know, I think where my footsteps kind of fell in.
Speaker 1: So your kids, So, do your kids love it? Do they reject it? Do you think it's just you're born with it or not? Because I have one that is and one that isn't.
Speaker 4: It's really interesting and I find myself being hopeful and frustrated at the same time because I don't think that there's like a perfect you know, no one has like come out blazing here, so which is frustrating.
Speaker 3: My daughter has a lot of.
Speaker 4: Things where she will be like this bothers me, you know, like if something isn't in place, sure, or this is so satisfying, sure, or like doesn't it kill you if? And I'm like, yes, I see all those things. Why is their laundry on the floor?
Speaker 3: Like why? Like where? What about your skincare? Like why is it on? Can you put it away? So it's like I again, I appreciate that about her.
Speaker 4: My son is he's not bothered by anything something, will wear the same three shirts for the rest of his life because he wears them. They're clean, shouldered, put back, So he just is things are less chaotic because he's just simple and Stella has to try everything on and then like leaves it everywhere. I think part of the issue is my kids have never had one million toys or one million things like that. I've always had a pretty pair down. But with clothing, what are you gonna do? They have to get dressed?
Speaker 2: God help God help us great. Exactly, I'd be in jail because I'd be broke.
Speaker 4: You would be living on the street, and your daughter would be the best stress in like head to Gucci.
Speaker 2: But I'd be broke on the street a one hundred percent, and.
Speaker 4: I'm about to be because Stella has now she's grown into like an actual taste for clothing, which is so sorry.
Speaker 3: Clothing is expensive.
Speaker 4: It's so frustrating, like we're target is a done day, Like that is not happening anymore. So, yes, things actually cost money and it's you know, very stressful.
Speaker 3: Thank god Sutton does the care like action. Yeah, it has to be, He'll stay money there.
Speaker 4: Stella was always she always cared about her outfit's the very first time Joanna came over with her kids, Marlowe, who you know has an older boy younger daughter, and so Marlowe came over like Frumpully Stumpkins. She was just like in like Miles clothed like I feel like she was like in, but she was dressed.
Speaker 1: Like me and like leggings and a sweat I was like, probably like a cute normal girl like like she was.
Speaker 2: She wasn't like wet.
Speaker 3: Pants right ware.
Speaker 4: She was the like sweatpants and tennis shoes and like whatever shirt and too like let's speak there, she was too. Stella took Marlowe by the hand led her into her closet, into her room. I was like to marlow yes, she was like, let me help you. And she put Marlowe in like a ball gown, of course, and Marlowe came out like Cinderella when she is around and sparkled.
Speaker 5: Marlow was a change first, and she was like, mom, like you what if you were holding out on that were the same dress, this old navy dress that I had to buy in every color until the size ran out.
Speaker 3: We bought it a year after year, six years in a row.
Speaker 4: She only wore the one dress because it was like basically the one that Sola showed her.
Speaker 2: But that's the thing.
Speaker 1: I do think ninety percent of who we are, if not more, is how we're born, right Because I was like Stella and most of my friends were like Marlowe, and by the way, still are, but they still enjoy getting dressed up. But they also, in their most happiest self, are like they still look great, they still look cute, but they're casual. And I think it really does. I think we look at our kids when they're born and go, who are you going to be? And I had so many wise people tell me like, they're this, They're what you're looking at. And when I think about it, my kids are like exactly as.
Speaker 2: They were born.
Speaker 1: Okay, so, Johanna, you grew up and you were neat freak and then became a slob and then became a neat freak.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, I started off really really organized, and I always loved moving furniture around, like when my mom would come home. I hadn't like move beds myself. I was really into how things look. I also, you probably don't even know this one, so just stand back on this one. But I used to collect, like my grandmother would take me shopping in California. I grew up in North Carolina, and I remember coming to California every Christmas break and we would go shopping and we would go to like Benetton and Gap, like ben like all of those things. And I would collect the bags that the clothes would come in, and I would hang them on my walls, and so I would decorate all the walls with all the shopping bags.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this was like, by the way, by the way, you should do that again.
Speaker 3: Clea is a gas. I need to see I need to see what it looked like. It was fabulous. It was like an art and slat.
Speaker 2: That's what I mean.
Speaker 1: It sounds very much like something at the met like I'm really I'm super into this right now.
Speaker 3: It was like pop art before I knew what that was.
Speaker 4: But anyway, I had this in me, so I was like very particular how things would go, and I would.
Speaker 3: Always try to rearrange furniture.
Speaker 4: And then I took a sharp left turn in high school and was a complete slob, cheerleading clothes broad in the back of my trunk of my car, like everything on the floor, absolute total disaster.
Speaker 3: College close to the ceiling, the biggest mess. And then I turned a quarter I guess, God.
Speaker 4: I don't even know when some time after college, and I was like, I need everything in back and order.
Speaker 3: I just can't live like this.
Speaker 4: And I just became obsessed, and especially after I had when I was pregnant and after I had Miles, my son, just perfecting every closet and every inch matters, and like how it makes me feel sane and calm and in control and all these things that I didn't have but you know, having a newborn or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I've.
Speaker 3: Never looked back.
Speaker 2: It's almost like we do.
Speaker 1: The same thing, honestly, but in a different you know, a different angle, like a different facet of the industry, right, Like there are so many similarities, right, and so for me it's like that getting dressed thing. It's a little bit like so you guys, your peace of mind is like everything in.
Speaker 2: Order, right, And I definitely have a lot of that.
Speaker 1: I do have this part of me that if I have five events in a week, you cannot imagine what my bathroom and bathtub look like. There's like gowns and tool and jewel, like it's just everywhere.
Speaker 2: So a lot of it for.
Speaker 1: Me is like a time thing and like just being like you know, but I will say that like for me, even if it takes me five minutes to get ready or whatever, I can't really like function until I feel Like I was telling someone the other day, like I had COVID once I took me two and a half years to get I got it. They said, so what did you do like when you had COVID? Did you get dressed? And I was like, I was in different rotating black robes. My skin hurts so bad that like writing hurt, but I had a full cati lash and a liplod because I couldn't. It was like I couldn't. I just couldn't. I twirled my hair. Nobody was seeing me like I nobody. I lacked everyone out.
Speaker 4: Clayton, I always say this about organizing, and I have a feeling and this is sort of maybe how you feel.
Speaker 3: I mean, you can tell me if I'm wrong, but.
Speaker 4: When we're organizing, something just has to click into place, and once it's in the right spot, it's just like this is right. This is how the space has always been intended to be.
Speaker 3: It's true. And I don't know if.
Speaker 4: You're like that with I'm not like yes, flowers or out any thing. I know nothing about any of those, but I can imagine for you you that's how.
Speaker 1: It feels, especially when you're styling somebody else, because you look at it like the way you guys share a roam in a.
Speaker 3: Space and it like clicks clicks clicks, Yes.
Speaker 2: One hundred.
Speaker 3: But you know what, Rachel, I understand so much.
Speaker 4: I mean I laugh about the like the perfect wing on the eye just because I actually don't know how to do that.
Speaker 3: But I think about during chemo, where.
Speaker 4: Every single person in my life is like, oh, you have a pass like you're like live in your pajamas lifts, and I kept trying to explain, and then I stopped.
Speaker 3: Trying to explain that I was literally doing.
Speaker 4: It for myself, like putting on makeup, course, and I was already like, you're already it like when you have COVID or whatever, and I have COVID during Campcord, which.
Speaker 3: Is like, that's ruod.
Speaker 1: And I want to touch on that because we've talked about this, and I've mentioned it a few times in different things. You know, I come from the family of cancer, and I also have multiple friends that have gone through it, obviously you being one of them. Bravest warrior I ever knew. I will say that the hardest thing I have seen for women is not feeling like a woman and not looking like a woman and not and you do take everything off and we do get stripped down. It's that part of it that makes you feel a certain way. And I think to your point, it was truthfully in this podcast is not about me, so I don't want to turn it on me. But actually, when I quit styling right after nine to eleven, I quit styling because I felt like it was very superficial. And I said, I don't want to do this anymore. It means nothing compared to like what these social workers, the doctors, the frontline workers and everything. And I was like quitting. And I turned down all these jobs for like three to six months. It's crazy. And my father tried to get me back in. And then there's this doctor friend of mine, she's actually a brain surgeon, and she was down at the hospitals, you know, during nine to eleven for that whole month's month, and she said, oh my god, tell me something about fashion, tell me something. And I said, I quit. And she said, what do you mean you quit? And I said, I quit. I don't want to do it anymore. It doesn't mean anything. It's stupid. I'm just like it's superficial. And she's like, you've lost your mind and I said no, really, like what you do matters, what I do doesn't. And she was like, Okay, sit down, and she literally sent me down and explained to me why it matters, and that how much like my book or the things that I do and the way that I helped women kind of want to get out of bed sometimes and do those things. And she talked me through this, and so it was at that point I shifted literally like the purpose of what I was doing and started to sort of try to go in all these different directions that were really focused on helping women live their best life, Oh, be their most confidence selves.
Speaker 4: That makes so much sense, And I think you inspire me one hundred percent. And then I'm like it almost makes me giggle because I'm like, who am I to be inspired by Rachel Zoe, Like, I'm not going to have a chance at that, you know, like Joanne and I like will leave every time and be like, there's no one more glamorous than Rachel in this world but you.
Speaker 3: But you're zero people.
Speaker 4: Maybe Molly too, Like I feel like you, guys both, I can't.
Speaker 2: Do the sweats real cute.
Speaker 1: She can like do work out clothes all day and still be super cute. And you just wouldn't, Like you just wouldn't because you couldn't look cute.
Speaker 3: You know, you would look cute.
Speaker 4: But I genuinely like, I can literally see you in pajamas, Yes, I could see you.
Speaker 3: And it's not who you are, right, It's just not who you are.
Speaker 2: I feel like I ran out into the world naked.
Speaker 3: I think that's right. I think you rather be naked. I actually think you'd rather be naked than it's what I feel like. But it is true. You teach people and you inspire people to be there.
Speaker 4: I think most beautiful inner glamorous self, you know, like you don't necessarily need.
Speaker 3: It doesn't have everyone you wear, right, it doesn't.
Speaker 4: But I do feel that way about you, and it's so genuine and it's so wild because it's not just like your public persona, that is who you are as a person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I fully agree.
Speaker 2: Don't you got well, don't you own your own infanity? You guys? Don't you just say like, I am who I am?
Speaker 1: And it's like you get to an age and a point in your life where you just go, okay.
Speaker 3: Whenever I know it is I am, I am who I am. And it's easier to accept friends for who they are too.
Speaker 4: I mean, I honestly think that's what makes the friendship CLEI and I have so powerful. It's like we both know who the other person is so right, you meet them where they are, that's exactly right.
Speaker 1: So you, guys, I have a question, so you obviously okay, So give me like the tune inte of how you came together, just for our listeners who don't know, because I think and then I want to talk about this afterwards. I do want to talk about the copycat effect. Yes, oh, I do want to talk about that because obviously, like we've all been through that, but I do want to talk about it because I'm seeing them coming in numbers and you're very sensitive to it. With you guys, I'm very like. So, so I want to talk about how you came together because it was very unlikely, it.
Speaker 3: Is very unlikely. I will give the very bird's eye view of it.
Speaker 4: So I moved to Nashville in twenty fifteen, so that'll it's coming up on eight years.
Speaker 3: Joanna moved a year and a half prior. And you move there?
Speaker 2: Why just randomly?
Speaker 4: Your husband, your husband's husband, both of us, both both of us, us, both of us moved from California to Nashville sight unseen.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: We literally I flew in.
Speaker 4: For thirty six hours to buy a house and then flew right back to LA like we had never stepped foot.
Speaker 3: You guys are here and I had never come here until I moved here. Say that I came here.
Speaker 4: Thing ever, Joanna and I both think it's insane that we said, yes, it is insane.
Speaker 2: But listen, people do it all day every day.
Speaker 3: But it was meant to be. You knows it was obviously meant to be.
Speaker 4: We always say that we moved for husband's jobs, and now everyone's staying for our jobs. So, but Joanna and I met through a mutual friend who basically put us in a blind friendship date together to go to lunch. Joanna was slightly reluctant to go to lunch with me because she did not want a business partner, and Leah kind of pitched it as, you guys both want to start an organizing company. We both told Leah this, which is so random, right, like who wants to start? Well, now everyone does, but who wants to start an organizing company? And so she was like, oh, I have these two friends who both want the same thing. Joanna was hesitant, but we sat down and we got up after four hours of lunch as business partners. And that very same day evening, actually we came up with our name, our logo, or we got our domain, our social handles.
Speaker 3: We started filling out paperwork. We we opened up bank accounts together. That week. It was crazy, no one's but it worked.
Speaker 2: And how many years is this now?
Speaker 3: It'll be eight years on all and a half.
Speaker 1: Yes, Chris, that's literally crazy, and it's crazy for so many reasons because look, you guys, girls are tough, right, Like, let's be real, girls are tough.
Speaker 2: We've all had tough girls. We've had amazing girls.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: But when I think about it, I think about you know, I'm like, who would I be partners with? Honestly, I think probably Mary Elizabeth could be in my business partner right right, like right, the only person I might not want to like assassinate after first like week. The fact that you guys are still this inseparable because I see you actually like offline not working, and you guys are like an old married couple.
Speaker 2: Honestly, we really are.
Speaker 3: We literally are.
Speaker 4: Again, It's like it goes back to what we said with you you like, I think all three of us we don't really are public persona.
Speaker 3: And private Persona's actually the same thing. Yes, it's just the same thing.
Speaker 4: We just don't have the patience, I think, to be anyone else energy.
Speaker 3: We just are who we are, and Joanna.
Speaker 4: And I it is the craziest thing in my life that we are still just this same exact way.
Speaker 3: I don't remember if we told you or not.
Speaker 4: But the house that I'm building, Joanna's building a house around the corner for me. So we're actually everyone thinks we live together, but now we're basically it's the most It's the most clear and.
Speaker 3: Joanna thing we could do. We're building homes.
Speaker 4: Basically next to each other, which is psychotic, but like spend all her life together to it. I know, I just need, we just need to be together, like basically.
Speaker 1: That's literally the greatest and cutest thing ever. Do you have a question? Do you guys have sisters?
Speaker 3: I have Joanna does I don't you're.
Speaker 2: Super close with your sister or no?
Speaker 3: You know what she I am in the sense that she is the sweetest, the most You're very different, are nicer than me? Very different?
Speaker 2: Oh? Stop? What is nicer than you? Stop it now things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but by the way, she's I say that about my sister.
Speaker 2: My sister is like Candy.
Speaker 1: She's like candy sugar next to me, and everyone's like, I'm like, please, trust I look like an asshole.
Speaker 2: Next to her. Johanna's sisters very but I think that's also, but you don't clean.
Speaker 4: I don't have a sister, So I'd say Joanna saying yeah, because it's funny because I always say that we talk like sisters or siblings, and then some people will be like, oh, you must not have a sister because Johanna and I don't fight.
Speaker 3: We just we don't fight. People think we're fighting, but that's just the way you talk.
Speaker 1: But that's my point. But that so that is an actual sister thing. Like Jen Meyer and Sarah Foster.
Speaker 2: Are like that totally. They are like sisters.
Speaker 1: Because my sister is my safe person, right who I can like scream ahead off at her for like sixty seconds and like be like what are we eating? You know, and then like or sit in the sea room for two hours and not say a word and like no, I'm pissy about it, you know what I mean. So it's like, so I do find you have that relationship like we do. Like you'll tell each other if you're what you're wearing is freaking hideous. Like I guess what I'm saying is there aren't walls between you, and I think that's the difference between a friend and a sister. You know, you don't have to protect what you're saying. You don't have to filter.
Speaker 2: How about that?
Speaker 4: It is shocking to Joanna that, like when I was in treatment, specifically because you know me, I'm an energizer, bunny, I'm a.
Speaker 2: Big extra your a sane person.
Speaker 4: I love being around people. It like gives me energy, it gives me life. And when I was in treatment, I told Joanna there were a few times I was like, I'm really type, like I don't know if I can hang out with this person. Like I went for dinner and I got tired at first of all, Joanne is like, welcome, thank you, I'm tired.
Speaker 3: She was like this is great for me, But she also was so shocked.
Speaker 4: She's like, I can't how can you have a friend but depletes you, Like how can you have a relationship with someone where you can't just not speak? Like how Because with Joanna, she'll be like, I don't want to wear you out.
Speaker 3: Like when I was tired and I was like, you don't wear me out.
Speaker 4: I was like, you can sit there and I literally don't have to talk sure, And she so shook that, like anyone in my life isn't that, But it's true. It's like Joanna is a special person in my life. I think I also I think I have too many people in general, but because Joanna is like I only have three friends and I can do that with all of them.
Speaker 3: For me, I need to be around people that I tell Clea this is like the utmost compliment.
Speaker 4: But it's like you don't count. It's like you're sure I only wanted to be around people that don't count. But I can be that was the person myself. I can sit there quiet or not. We could talk, we can laugh or just ignore each other.
Speaker 2: So home at it.
Speaker 1: We have like the show, we have, the products, we have the like I wish there was six hundred of you, Like I wish one of you could just live in my guest.
Speaker 2: Room so I could live this organized life.
Speaker 1: It's funny because anytime I meet someone and they're like, oh, yeah, you know, we have this business where we like go into people's homes and we like go like the home out it and listen. There can't be one stylist or can't be one hit, Like there can't be one of anything, right, and there is the old thing that you know, my teamy stay will. Imitation is the best form of flattery. I'm like, why does that not help me? Here doesn't help me, It doesn't help right, So so I think I like to talk about this because in every journey to the top, there are challenges, right, and things that concern you when you go to sleep at night or wake up in the morning.
Speaker 2: You know, things that get under your skin.
Speaker 4: Well, I will say this, and Joanna might have a different answer, but I think that things used to get under our skin way more than it does now. I think that, and I think that's normal, right, Like you get to a point we had to center ourselves in saying, Okay, we have multiple books out, we have multiple seasons of a show, we have a very public Instagram count, we have launched a thousand ships, and we've.
Speaker 3: Given them the tool. We've given everyone the tools.
Speaker 4: We've given everyone what we do and the way we do it, so we can't really be upset the people have taken those tools and use them to create businesses. And truly, if you can inspire, you know, there's just what you I think also realize is that there's so much room for everyone in this world. It's just you know, if we can inspire, especially you know, female entrepreneurs, come out do an organizing business like fabulous.
Speaker 3: You know, a lot of people come up to us and they say, like.
Speaker 2: I started doing this because of.
Speaker 4: You, And I actually think that when like I I think that's a huge compliment to me, is a huge compliment, and I'm like, wow, that's amazing, so proud of you.
Speaker 3: That's incredible. So I feel like all of that is really good. And I think everyone's different.
Speaker 4: When Joanna and I first started an organizing company, the Homeut, we looked at all the other professional organizers who were doing things very differently, and then we looked at, you know, someone like Marie Condo, who was also doing it very differently and.
Speaker 2: Who now apparently came out that she's a slub.
Speaker 3: I know, I was like Marie, like Marie, so but again I and I think that she's just going through a Joanna I think that I think she'll be back. I think she'll be back. That'll just totally right. I'm like, she'll be back.
Speaker 4: But I think that from our perspective, we were like, Okay, we sit here and we want to try and do something that is different, and that that is how we ended up with again, like no one was making cursive labels back then, like that was silly. Everyone was using the label maker or something practical.
Speaker 3: We were like, we want to just have a signature.
Speaker 4: We want to have a calling card that represents us.
Speaker 3: And again, that's totally fine. Right now.
Speaker 4: I can't say if I was starting an organizing business, I wouldn't look at the two of us and be like, Okay, let me find a partner that I really like.
Speaker 3: Let me like try and do something cool on Instagram. Let me you know, I get it. We created a we emulate what you see, you know.
Speaker 4: And then again, I think we've all been so lucky to be inspired by people to create, for us, to create something, a new version of it, and then to hopefully pass the torch on to the next generation that doesn't even joy or gold.
Speaker 3: Like we're forgetting up there about climbing and hills, you know what, climbing and I like climbing in tennis shoes seriously barely.
Speaker 1: Have I wait, what one of you barefoot at baby to baby at iguala.
Speaker 3: I feel like it would never be me.
Speaker 4: Oh, I must sneak my shoes off at one point because I've heard so much I'd rather be bleeding.
Speaker 1: I do want to understand a little bit about the go forward for home at It, So home at It is larger than life.
Speaker 2: I think everybody knows it.
Speaker 1: For me, the biggest challenge of trying to grow my styling business when I was styling full time was that they all wanted me to be there. You don't have this problem. You have incredible people that work with you. But like, my biggest challenge obviously was you know, kind of snakes in the grass that worked with me. So that's a very common thing with like hairstylists. I hear it from makeup artists, I hear it from law firms, I hear it from agents managers. So how have you guys been so blessed to have incredible people that can sort of execute on the home edit vision and dream.
Speaker 4: Initially, hiring was the scariest thing we could ever think, of course, and because number one, it's crazy to think about replicating your skills and yourself and your work ethic, like.
Speaker 3: You know how you work.
Speaker 4: So initially I would say we gored the biggest score of our life because we got Sumner and that she was our first employee, so she set the path of hiring other people. It never got easier to let that control go. But what we learned really quickly was number One, people are really talented and good at what they do, and we can teach them everything other than the passion. As long as someone kind of has that drive and that passion and that work ethic, we can teach them the organizing. So again, it's like figuring out the type of people you want to hire. And I won't say that every situation has worked out perfectly. And there are definitely people who used to work for us who now of organizing companies, just like there are people who work for you that ended up becoming stylists. And I think that in some ways it kind of is like launching other organizing companies in general, Like you just have to take a deep breath and steal yourself in your own confidence that you are really good at what you do and that everyone who works for you is really good at what they do, and you have to trust to a certain extent or like you'll never grows like we would. You would never grow if we didn't trust, sort of never grown, we could never be where we are to say, trust people. So Joanna, what I'm curious, what I'm sure you have other things to add to that.
Speaker 3: What is your take?
Speaker 4: No, I would agree completely. I think it was really hard in the beginning. I mean it's why I didn't want a business partner, you know. It was the same reason I'm like, why would I ever want someone to be in this world with me when I only can count on myself? And so but you know, then I sort of had the epiphany that it's like, wow, if you meet the right person, this needs one billion times better than what I could have ever dreamed of. Sure, And so to cleart point, hired Sumner, who was like, it was like birthing the first best child.
Speaker 2: You could ever dream up. So it's like so lucky.
Speaker 4: And so she sort of paved the way that like, yeah, other people can absolutely do this and do this well, and in order for us to continue to grow, we have to trust, yeah, And so like we were only going to.
Speaker 3: Get in our own way if we didn't do that.
Speaker 2: No, one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: And here's the thing take away for that, I want to say to anyone like building a business of anything of this nature where you have to hire in order to grow, you have to It's never about how you leave. It's never about leaving it's about how you leave. Yeah, that's a thing. Like all of us want everyone to live their best life and be their most successful, amazing selves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's how you do it that matters.
Speaker 1: And that is really for me, the biggest lesson that I try to teach kind of twenty somethings now starting out in their lives is like, just be straight, Just be straight, be professional, be kind, and you will never trip over yourself.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 3: It's actually so true. It's so true.
Speaker 4: That's the thing is because we would never you would never want to stand in away from someone of personality, not.
Speaker 2: To expect people to work for you for the rest of their lives.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because you know, it's very for me to watch you guys grow to where you are now. I think I always am like and you have very big personal lives and very big family lives, and so I think it's important to do that. What's next for home at it? Are there obvious dreams ahead?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Well, we got acquired by Hello Sunshine, Reese Witherspoon's company in February, and Hello Sunshine is an unbelievable partner for us. I mean, they're allowing us to continue to grow the home edit in all the ways that, you know, amplify all the things that we were already doing with their support.
Speaker 3: It's a dream. It is a dream.
Speaker 4: And one of the dreams that we're going to be living out this year is a lot of stuff that we had.
Speaker 2: To shelve last year.
Speaker 4: I physically couldn't do it, but that meant we physically couldn't do it. So we're going to be just you know, coming up on this year, we're going to be on the road a lot.
Speaker 3: I can say that we have a few projects that are going to be become public projects.
Speaker 4: We have a lot of like media sings and when I say media, we have you know, our books, TV podcast, all of that. And we're really excited to be in person and live again, which we kind of haven't been since twenty nineteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we're really excited that we get to do these things and be with people again.
Speaker 4: So I think that to me, and you know how I am, I love being with people, so to me that's like the most and I love being with Clea, so it all ries out.
Speaker 3: I'm just excited.
Speaker 4: Honestly, at this point, the thought of traveling for work nothing sounds better, right, nothing sounds better. But I was like recounting all of my favorite last moments of twenty twenty one.
Speaker 3: So this was in twenty two.
Speaker 4: But I was like thinking about all of like the last trips we went on, like we were in d C during the holidays, as like Joanna and I've had so many good trips.
Speaker 1: You guys are literally the cutest. It's so amazing that you built the home at it. I know you're like really big and fancy now, but I really need you to come live with me for a week so we all one hundred percent dying here.
Speaker 2: I'm dying.
Speaker 1: I can't find anything I don't know or anything is and I need rid of fifty percent of it. You know, we'll be there, Rachel. I know I just said that, but I'm not going to do that. I'm not going I know you're we already know.
Speaker 3: We didn't even listen to get rid of stuff, Like we already know that.
Speaker 4: You know. The crazy thing is we've organized of different homes, different closets.
Speaker 3: I feel like I know your inventory.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so well good, so you can place it wherever you want.
Speaker 4: I really like I feel like I know it, Like I even know, like which things are priorities, which things we could have on higher shel I feel like I really know it you do, so we could probably yeah, you could probably do it quickly.
Speaker 1: But I really just want to say that I love everything you guys do. I'm so excited to see, like what I feel like you have like another thousand things that are about to happen, and I'm so excited. I think it's a really great career path for a lot of women that I hear from in person or my social media, Like, I think that's this sort of really big lesson that I think is really important to learn from you guys and what you do and live in the like cometit state of mind, you know, And I.
Speaker 4: Know, and I feel like Joanna and I could take a page out of your book and live in slightly more glamorous state.
Speaker 3: Of find but yeah, we live in me a dressed every day.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I'm like, you know what, Rachel like checks that, like, I'm like, I think of her glamorous.
Speaker 3: Okay, we don't. Joanna and I are never going to be.
Speaker 4: I'm just excited when I put jeans on, I barely see you in jeans, but.
Speaker 3: I'm like hire jeans.
Speaker 2: She does, I'll do a polish flair thinking.
Speaker 3: About you in sneakers and a boyfriend.
Speaker 2: It's like a disaster. Okay. I love you both so much.
Speaker 3: I love you, love you.
Speaker 1: These two are such a breath of fresh air. I mean, they're just two of the hardest, working, beyond hilarious women. Every time I talk to Clean and Joanna, I can't stop laughing because the way that they they really are like an old married couple that have been together for like seventy years. That's kind of like how their vibe is. And also they're so professional. If they work so hard, I think they are just such a good example of how to follow your dream and also inspire others and that positive, positive female energy and it's just so refreshing.
Speaker 2: And that was a fun one. I really love that.