Speaker 1: I am all in.
Speaker 2: You.
Speaker 3: I am all in with Scott Patterson, an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I am all in podcast. iHeart Radio one eleven productions. I am here with my intrepid crew. We have a new name, Susanne French, Amy Sugarman, speaking from inside my own microphone.
Speaker 3: We have a new what do you mean, have a new name?
Speaker 1: What are you talking about?
Speaker 3: We're technically called iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 4: Oh not just iHeart Radio.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we're iHeartMedia, iHeart Radio and iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 1: All right, let me try this again. Hey, I'm Scott Patterson. I am all in podcast, I Heeart Radio, iHeart Podcast, I Heeart Media. You have to welcome to the Dollhouse, Season six, episode six. I am joined by myn Trevid Cruz Terras sued Suzanne French and you know or your love her. You judged her, Yeah, last week, you judged her last week when I got the king of the argument.
Speaker 3: They did. When I got on, I told Scott you won. They people have.
Speaker 1: Spoken, And I retorted, if I win, then then Amy wins. And it's all If Amy women's and I lose, then I win as well. And that's just how we're here.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: It was an iconic dragging, as the kids say that Emily dragged Shira and it was one of the best things ever.
Speaker 1: Loved every minute of it. But I also agree with you it could have been what what did you? What were your what's your commentary?
Speaker 3: Yeah, could have been what. The only way to say it is more a little more clever, a little more clever. So I also agreed with you that it was an iconic SmackDown. Yes, but she went a little low when she could have maybe right been more clever. I think it was.
Speaker 1: It was very satisfying. It was very sure sure anyway, So I think we're going to have to take a pause and synopsize, and we're always looking forward to those synopsisizations, which is now handled by our new number one getting all the votes on the All Star ballot, Rookie of the Year, Gold Gloves, Silver Slugger, Suzanne French. Take it away, Suzanne.
Speaker 4: Thank you for that amazing introduction. This is season six, episode six, Welcome to the Doll House. It aired October eighteenth, twenty five. When the town changes its road names back to their original eighteenth century monikers, the dragonfly in employees become upset by their streets disturbing designation. Logan buys Rory a very extravagant gift, while Lorelai keeps receiving mysterious packages. Richard presses Logan about his plans for him and Rory.
Speaker 1: All right, what do we think? What do we think of this? I liked that episode? Did you? Did you? He found it pleasantly paced, and.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it wasn't like a top favorite, but it was jocularity okay, And I.
Speaker 4: Enjoyed it too. It's always fun to you know. See, I always liked the town stuff, so it was good to have a town meeting and the.
Speaker 5: After last week's like the dinner at Suki's. I think we needed a good town yeah, town thing.
Speaker 4: I needed to like the dragons.
Speaker 3: I here's what I'll say. I've yet to dislike season six. I'm all good, Like I'm enjoying it, even when I watched it many other times. I never disliked season six, so I'm good. There's little flags, of course, and oh.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of flags.
Speaker 3: I giggled a lot. I had a lot of little sort of yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I'm sorry, guys not on board with this one. Yeah, I just went to me. I didn't recognize it. It didn't seem like Gilmore Girls to me. It didn't seem like the level of writing was there. I just thought it kind of really was directionless and it kind of floated from scene to scene. Nothing was really tying in for me. It wasn't terribly engaging. Yet here's the thing, I was still entertained. Yeah, yeah, yeah, even when it misses the mark, for me, I still watch it and enjoy it and get a good feeling about it. So there's a positive coming out of it for me. And yes, I got some chuckles here and there. I got a couple of big laughs, and that's I mean, the bar is so high that it's hard to you know. It's not like I want to lower my expectations, but maybe I should be a little more realistic and give these people a break because they're hitting that out of the park most of the time.
Speaker 3: When did this air again after that?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: So this is kind of the build up to the big episodes of November. Yeah, it's like we find that happens, you know, and we.
Speaker 5: Just came off a pretty big episode.
Speaker 1: But it just it just it wasn't snappy and fast and funny because there wasn't, you know, Lorelei and wasn't really the central character of this, and the dialogue she had I thought was a bit shrill with with with the with the tailor. I thought the tailor stuff in the beginning, with renaming the streets, I thought that was great. I said, oh, I agree with him. I think this is going to be funny. I thought that town meeting was funny. But then it just sort of devolved for me about when they got the bad name boiled.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was long. It was a little long.
Speaker 1: It was a little a little too drawn out for me, and it wasn't give you that I wasn't getting a lot of the jokes. There weren't joky jokes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a little bit, it's like, okay, come on, come on, come on.
Speaker 4: I noticed that it was a different writer on this episode, Keith Eisner. So maybe because it wasn't like an Amy Dan thing, maybe that's why it felt a little different. But I also noticed it was directed by Jackson Douglas.
Speaker 3: Oh, oh that's cool. Also, if you like the bit every here's what I will say. Each bit went on a little too long, the street name bit a little too long Emily sending all the stuff over a little too long, right, Like the big urn was kind of for me, like it didn't work, you know, the one in the diner, right, But yeah, the Richard stuff was. I really liked that. But then also everything went on a little too long.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't say it.
Speaker 1: Just it just wasn't just wasn't it was. I don't know it was. It was good, it was good, it was entertaining. I want to stay positive. I was entertained, but I wasn't thoroughly enthralled.
Speaker 3: Here's my takeaway. And I'm realizing this as we're talking and I'm kind of looking at my notes. When I watched it, I liked it. I was like, well, that was great. I'm not totally remembering it.
Speaker 5: I watched it just too Yeah, I actually watched it. I watched it over the weekend, and then I watched it again just to refresh my memory. And I'm like, oh, yeah, I did watch that. I kind of forgot that I watched it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm having a little bit of a moment like.
Speaker 5: But like when you get those like key points like the streets and and you're like oh yeah, yeah, like it's it was just kind of like a filler. That's what it felt like.
Speaker 1: Because I got online and I looked up the prices of Burke and Bags going back to nineteen to present day while I was watching the episode, because I didn't feel like I was going to be missing too much, whether it was or that it was going to be too difficult to follow because it was a little slower paced and it wasn't as funny. So I was like, all right, well, I'll take a little little pause here and see what these Burken bags are.
Speaker 5: I was like, whoa, well now, and Amy, I feel like, correct me if I'm wrong. But now Burke and Bags, you can't even go buy one. You have to be on a wait list and.
Speaker 3: Then they have to be excited to buy it. Yes, to be invited to buy it. It's like crazy.
Speaker 5: In two thousand and five, it wasn't like that, right.
Speaker 3: I don't know, And they're really expensive. They might be twenty thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: I am praying my wife doesn't listen to this, Yeah, do not, because I don't think I get her all the nice bags that's here. You know, I tell her she can get a bag for her birthday. You know, she's got the fancy bags, and uh.
Speaker 3: You don't need I don't think we need a Well, it's just I don't think.
Speaker 1: What it's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I say, it's not that cool, like people are come on, I do. I mean it was a whole Sex in the City episode too, but like I don't really love it.
Speaker 1: But you know, here's the thing. They're good investments.
Speaker 3: I guess they don't lose their value.
Speaker 1: You know. The fourth or fifth time she wanted a Chanel bag, I just rolled my mass because this much today, I said, oh okay, bye too.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Chanel's are very expensed, right. I think it's not supposed to matter if you like it or not. It's just supposed to show off how much money you have.
Speaker 3: I actually sort of enjoyed that Emily Rory like, and then she tells Richard he bought her again, Like I kind of was into it. That storyline was kind of cool. And it also shows he's got a ton of money.
Speaker 5: Oh, I mean, like it's just here's like insane, insane amounts of money. I got the estimate price of what it would be in two thousand and five, like close, it would be about seven seven thousand dollars back.
Speaker 3: Right, seven thousand and How much is a two thousand and five Burke and worth now.
Speaker 1: Oh twenty? It depends on what it is, because there's some that are worth one hundred and three.
Speaker 5: It can go up to two hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Oh sure, yeah.
Speaker 5: But I don't know what I mean. I was looking at prices back then, so that was roughly what it would have been.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so.
Speaker 3: Crazy, Yeah, oh yeah, you could get you can get some Oh my god, one's twenty four thousand dollars.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 1: On Susanna's gobsmacked. She can't even He's like burkeing back.
Speaker 3: How much is the class burkein somewhere between ten thousand a quarter million?
Speaker 1: Kidding me, wows, you'd rather just steal it do the time? At least you have it right, all.
Speaker 3: Right, So let's go through it. We start with the town meeting, and the standout for me at the town meeting was lorealized plaid jacket with the sequince on it. Like to her fashion. We even talked about fashion in like maybe a couple episodes. It's unbelievable, like her fashion is just awesome, and it's still awesome twenty years later. So anyway, did anybody not get that. It was a big bit when they came in and you know, they're doing the whole shtick about tourism revenues off. My favorite part was Gypsy being like that's Kirk.
Speaker 1: It's uh. It was nice. It was a nice scene because you knew that Taylor was doing his level best to manipulate that town, but he was doing it in a way that delighted and amazed. Right, It's like he went to all this effort. Those guys had to learn their lines, he had to write. You know, Taylor wrote the script for them. Both furst it and they came in and just kind of nailed it. So it's like they put some time into it. So I appreciated that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a nice shout out for Leeches and Wenches.
Speaker 1: And Mike Gandelfini playing opposite Kirk as a reinactor.
Speaker 3: I also noticed there's two very prominent background actors because on the like what I assume is sort of the town board, it's Miss Patty, it's Taylor, and then two others on stage. They really had those background actors really had to like look towns like okay, so then we go to the diner. Lane is not wearing her glasses, so I always kind of now am noticing when she hasn't. She hasn't and LRALI orders a bagel, But did she order the innerd scooped out? But then she wanted the scoops?
Speaker 5: Yeah it was.
Speaker 4: I don't was that a thing twenty years ago? I don't remember that being a thing.
Speaker 3: Thing, And now it's a thing now, is it?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: People all scoop out the guts of the bagel because they want to lower their carbs. But I've never heard anyone ask.
Speaker 5: But I was gonna say not to eat it.
Speaker 3: It's so gross.
Speaker 4: I guess I'm out of touch because I just eat the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Maybe she maybe she uses that that stuff to go feed the birds or something.
Speaker 5: Oh, I just think it's a lorell I thing.
Speaker 1: It's like very bird food. Maybe she puts it in the ducks. Ducks, yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: Would be good bagel head.
Speaker 4: Doesn't that like jam up there intestines or something?
Speaker 3: I don't know, Wait, is that true? What I thought? Always people fed ducks bread crumbs are kidding.
Speaker 4: Well, maybe crumbs, but not like bagel scoopings.
Speaker 1: Maybe she maybe she you know, she rubs him in between her hands and makes them crumbs.
Speaker 3: Bagel scoopings are kind of like crumbs. So what did we all think that Luke was kind of down for the street names. He's like, whatever, I'm good.
Speaker 1: Oh he was it, he liked it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I'm saying. He's just being real nice and real zen.
Speaker 5: I also think it's just like light that he's not down to pick with Taylor. So he's like, oh, well, like everyone knows, he's.
Speaker 1: So triggered, he's got to try something. It was a good setup for him popping lighter, right, didn't I don't know that the pop was good enough. Right, that's a thing. You're going to set that up makes the pop really funny, and it.
Speaker 4: Was right right right?
Speaker 1: That's I didn't think the payoffs. It didn't didn't pay for playing right, It's.
Speaker 4: Like, right, I thought it was funny. In that scene that Laurel I didn't. She was like suspicious of Luke that and his Zen attitude because she didn't quite it just was kind of out of character for him, and she was calling that out like what if I you know, what if Taylor wants to paint your building pink? And what if this happens in photoshop a picture of you sitting on his lap with a baby rattle in.
Speaker 3: Your Like, yeah, it's a funny exchange.
Speaker 4: Trust him to be ze. It's a funny exchange that isn't memorable. Maybe that's my yeah problem with the episode. It was all now that you're reminding me, like, oh yeah, hahaha, that was cute, not memorable.
Speaker 3: I enjoyed when Suki and Michelle came into the diner. They looked so cute and professional and they're waiting for their street names, so that was sort of cute. And then there's sort of the gut punch of Laurel I seeing Rory in the paper. Yeah, so that was like, okay, there's sort of a button on this and something important, and I thought it was a cool Okay, I will say this was cool. They paint they the cameras on the paper and then we sort of pan up and Richard's reading the paper. Did you guys know that that was was clever? And yay Jackson Douglas because that was a cool. That was a good transition move.
Speaker 5: And they both were kind of, you know, thinking the same thing. Glaire kind of on the same page.
Speaker 3: Now they're not stoked. Yeah, and then we've got a whole grapefruit conversation that was again not memorable.
Speaker 4: What is with Emily not understanding fruit? Like we had that blueberry raspberry issue and a couple episodes ago, and now she's she thinks they's sugar, but she doesn't know like you can tell if there's sugar on the grapefruit.
Speaker 3: I don't know why she's here.
Speaker 1: But it did. It did provide the one few one one of the laughs, one of the few laughs in the whole thing, because when she went to answer the door, she said, oh, she's probably the maid's probably out back, you know, intending to her sugar cane field.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, I've forgotten, isn't it. Isn't it Richard that recommended a grapefruit Yes, May many years ago.
Speaker 5: It was like season one or two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's excellently. It made me started eating grapefruit again.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's good for you in the morning.
Speaker 1: Actually, it's really it's really good. It's good stuff, especially pink grapefruit. Love it, love it.
Speaker 3: And the flowers in the Gilmore House O Richard, and I'm not gonna lie. The intercom bit is amusing. For me, like totally amusing when she's like signing off ten to four or like that was.
Speaker 5: Like they can't turn it down the volume guy.
Speaker 3: And then the mystery of where's Logan? Have you seen Logan?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: And I thought that I thought Richard and Emily had some nice sort of back and forth in this episode.
Speaker 4: The whole Logan situation is clearly more important to Emily than it is to Richard. Yeah, about where is Logan? And he's like, I don't know, we just they have different hours. We just don't see. Yeah, Emily was very obsessed with it.
Speaker 3: Well, I think she's obsessed because she gave Shira the SmackDown and she wants to make sure there's no repercussions from that onto the kids, because she was very clear, you will not mess with these kids.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I wonder if she told Richard that she said that to Shira.
Speaker 5: I don't think so, because also Richard went outside. Yeah, Richard went to go wait in the car after that, and then I don't think she I don't think I don't think Emily wants to admit that she sooped down to like that low level. Yeah, So I don't.
Speaker 3: Think to Richard, yeah, because Richard kept it classy. Eli wanted to sock Mitchem in the face, and he.
Speaker 5: Kept it about Rory, And even though Emily tried to do that, she also didn't by dissing Shira right right.
Speaker 3: And then we learned that Richard has seen Laura la eye and Emily is very like what what what? And I thought she made a good point, like you should have told me, Richard, Yeah, that was should have.
Speaker 4: That was the first thing I noticed was that like he didn't he I don't know if it like slipped his mind or was intentional, but he didn't tell Emily about the fire at the end, which you think, like, yeah, it's just been conversation, you know that that would have come up at dinner or whatever. So I thought it was interesting he didn't tell her, right.
Speaker 3: Right, But he didn't tell her remember when they were doing Remember when Richard and Emily I'm sorry, when Richard and Laura were like on good terms and Emily, no, and he didn't always tell her every time he saw Laura Lai too. He doesn't want to, like he kind of keeps that from her, do you guys know what I'm talking about?
Speaker 1: Like a horn's nest? He doesn't want the conversation. He doesn't want to question the interrogation.
Speaker 3: And that's right.
Speaker 1: It's just he was a guy doing his job, you know, that's what he that's his job. He went to visit, you know, nothing to discuss, right. I mean, he could have brought it up, but it's like, I don't think he wants the you know, the feedback, because he gets a face full of it from Emily every time he mentions laurelized names, so it's like he just wants piece and quiets so he can read.
Speaker 3: Literally like yeah. So then we get the street name of Sores and Boyles Alley, which was like.
Speaker 5: A little bit funny, yeah, usually funny.
Speaker 3: It wasn't hugely funny. I agree with Scott. It wasn't hugely funny.
Speaker 1: It's a one off joke on the floor that you like chuckle at. But they just kept hitting it and hitting it over the hitting you over the head.
Speaker 5: With it, and it just wasn't I will say I enjoyed it and it also it was something I actually remembered the second that I heard the street name part of the episode, I was like sars and boils, Like at the town meeting, I was like I remember this, like it stuck with me at least.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've done without that.
Speaker 4: To tell you the truth, I thought Suke's reaction was funny because she was so sensitive about it and how you know, the sal severity looks like yeah, and how's you know, how's she going to incorporate this into into her menu?
Speaker 3: I thought it was amusing and yet a little bit like did I need this.
Speaker 1: Little gross little gross? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I thought a little bit, but like, you know, so then we get the broken bag scene, which I actually enjoyed. We talked about that and I thought it was cute that she doesn't know kind of what it is and he's like, it's a thing. But he's very like. The thing that I like too is he isn't like this is the best bag ever, and I'm so awesome for buying it. It's ten thousand dollars, Like he's very chill, like, yeah, you're gonna like it. It's all good, Like he's cool. They're cool. She's sort of didn't know what it was, but great.
Speaker 5: She's like, can I put my and I like put my bag in the bad or like her bag in the bag.
Speaker 3: It was they're cute, like I don't really have a big anything.
Speaker 5: I think that's also why Logan likes her, Like any girl would be like dying over well, any girl like Yale would be dying over a broken bag. And she's like, oh that's cool, it's pretty right.
Speaker 3: She's just ready to take it to the gym.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I was.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I was kind of annoyed by that scene. They both sort of were annoying to me. She's like, it's so grown up, Like I just I could see that. Yeah, I don't know, she just bugged me.
Speaker 3: But that's fair. I think that's actually fair. Yeah I didn't, right, I didn't mind it. But again, it's kind of like.
Speaker 1: Well, I think people that don't like Rory and don't like the character are gonna really not like her in this because it's like, look at this disgusting display of wealth, and this money could have gone to help hungry people and people that really needed and they wouldn't be wrong, especially this day and age, because the temperature has changed a great deal since this episode was aired. So but.
Speaker 3: I think that makes sense. I think if you sort of know, I think you make a perfect point. Like I enjoy them, so I sort of saw it with cute eyes. I like them, but you're right if you you sort of didn't, it's just more.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: So okay, then we go to the candy shop.
Speaker 1: I thought, I thought that the maturation of this relationship between these two is in a different stage now. So we had the beginning phase which was kind of titillating and interesting and I mean, if you were on board for it, but now it's kind of gotten hackneyed a little bit. And this is this episode especially, I didn't really recognize Logan. I don't know, And if he's playing confused, he's nailing it because I'm a little.
Speaker 3: It wasn't funny, he wasn't the typical, but.
Speaker 1: Why he's so irritated having to sit down?
Speaker 5: And I actually thought the same thing Scott. I was like, what's his deal? Where Like he just seems annoyed.
Speaker 1: He just he dismissed the dar women and he was rude to them because he was just had his ass chewed out by his father. And then he brings the same kind of energy into a Richard conversation. I'm sure Richard was interrogating him a little bit. Okay, but that's Richard and those guys are chummy and they have a good relise. So he was being annoyed and like, get me the heck out of here, and you know, it was it was like the surly teenager thing that it just doesn't really fit him.
Speaker 5: You know, I noticed the same thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean, I you see what you're saying. It didn't.
Speaker 1: It's just like, Okay, he's just asking questions and he's digging for information about Rory. And that's just what I.
Speaker 3: Think because Logan thought he was talking about them and like are they getting married? So I think he maybe was trying to be polite but was a little bit like we'll go.
Speaker 5: But it was even before that. It was when Richard first was like can I talk like It was from the very beginning he just seemed annoyed, and I was thinking, like, Wogan's used of these like parties and acts putting a face on, so why not just put a face on for your friends.
Speaker 1: Right, He's got good manner. No, he didn't.
Speaker 3: A little he kind of faked it. It was just kind of obviously faking it instead of being kind of stoked to talk to Richard, which he normally is at some of the parties. He's been like you were right. I think you said chummy Scott.
Speaker 1: I think that was yeah, you know, he's he just wants to get out of there and rolls his eyes and avoids some and it's I don't know, it just it didn't play for me, didn't for the character.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just I thought Logan would have been more. He's a fun, sarcastic guy, and he wasn't really doing that, right.
Speaker 1: He's he's very diplomatic, he's very witty. Where was that guy? Yeah, even when he's being annoyed, he's diplomatic and he's witty and he's fun. And then all of a sudden they sort of like there's this sort of naked contempt for Richard and it's just mean entertainment. Where's the entertainment value of that? It's like, somebody, please entertain me with these.
Speaker 3: Yah, throw anyone under the bus. But like, maybe the writing in this episode is just not quite of the level.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And Richard and Emily, the whole reason that they were talking to Logan is because they have no idea what's happening in Rory's life, and they're trying to get information out of him. And I thought that was a little odd too, because really we know, we already know that her life is community service and d R So why were mysied?
Speaker 1: Why were they so they know exactly what she's doing.
Speaker 5: They're working on this event.
Speaker 3: That is the thing that I was thinking too. I was like, what what is the mystery here? And like I get I get it, because what Richard wants to know is is she planning to go back to school? What is her big plan? But yet you're so right, they know everything she's doing every minute of the day, and like it's no mystery what she's doing in there in the poolhouse, like reading.
Speaker 1: She put on a dar event became you know, the socialite of all socialites. She's in the newspaper with a photo. Okay, they should be selling this and planning for the next big event or the offers come flying in from all different kinds of organizations in and around Hartford, like we just saw this in the paper. We'd love Rory to head the be the chair of this event. And so I mean, where is this going and where they took it was a little confusing.
Speaker 5: I think exactly what guys, like, she's in the newspaper, this hat to have happened, like the event was probably like what two three days ago, like probably just taking her Yes, she's probably just taking like one day right to be in the poolhouse after she organized.
Speaker 4: That's why she was sleeping in that morning because it was like the morning out.
Speaker 3: Day after it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, got all the work she put in, she probably lost a lot of sleep. She's exhausted. Let the girl sleep past eight thirty jesus.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that was sort of like.
Speaker 1: Nonsense, maybe a missed opportunity to really pile on on the storyline with the you know, now you know, the American Cancer Society wants you to throw a fun because they're so impressed with the recoverage that you got the pr you know, I mean, she became a superstar in that area, in that field, and that's one of the most important skills a person can have, is be a great host for a fundraising event or any kind of an event. I mean, that's a real skill, right. There's not a lot of people that are great at that. A lot of people try. But you know, she's separating herself from the pack.
Speaker 4: And you know, but I do also see the point out that we've had this whole discussion. I do see the point that Richard is trying to figure out is this really what Rory is meant to be doing, because one thing at the end of the last episode that the episode ended with him with that thoughtful look on his face as he's watching Rory on the stage at the DAR event, and I think that he's thinking, you know, this isn't enough for her, and so like he is starting to think about, you know, maybe we need to do something different to get her back to Yale.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you're right.
Speaker 3: So two things. One is we go to the candy shop ice cream Shoppy as I like to call it. What's the real name of it? Why is it? Out of my head?
Speaker 4: I think that's it. I think it's Taylor Shoppy.
Speaker 3: No, I think it's an ice cream shoppy. So the candy looked amazing, the visuals were great, the candy looked amazing. And this is where Lore lies talking to Taylor about the street name. And again what happened to me here is I sort of was like, Taylor's still talking, but I'm not hearing anything that's happening, and the box was coming in. But the thing I wanted to flag is I noticed and I want you guys to be the judge. A flub, A full flub?
Speaker 5: What was it?
Speaker 3: Hannah? Is there any way we can pull up seventeen minutes and thirty five seconds in the episode, But I want you guys to listen. I'm not even going to tell you what happens.
Speaker 4: How did I miss?
Speaker 3: And I want to see if you hear it? And part of what I slightly overcharge them for is the ambiance?
Speaker 2: Is there a point here?
Speaker 3: The point is that I don't want to have to go around advertising. Come to Historic Stars Hollow. It's not as gross as it sounds. I must say. I'm surprised, Negativity is florid one more time? Give it one more time.
Speaker 4: I didn't hear it.
Speaker 1: Historic Stars Hollow.
Speaker 3: Maylub and part of what I slightly overcharged them for is the ambiance.
Speaker 2: Is there a point here?
Speaker 3: The point is that I don't want to have to go around advertising. Come to Historic Stars Hollow. It's not as gross as it sounds. I must say, surprised, Negative, You're right, there isn't.
Speaker 5: A blow like Historic Stars Hollow.
Speaker 1: What did you think the flub was?
Speaker 3: Stork Stars Hollow?
Speaker 1: Oh? Historic?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: Historic?
Speaker 3: Listen to it?
Speaker 1: If I can't get that four minutes.
Speaker 4: I'm like, how could there be a flub?
Speaker 3: But I missed it. I was like, I listened to it four times because I thought she said I don't want them to come to Stork Stars Hollow, because I thought she loves stars, And I was like, why did I leave that in historic? So let's move I was so excited to share that, and.
Speaker 1: Again, I know, I know, listen, it was we appreciate the different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's move on. So then I get kind of confused here, like I don't really know what happens here. And then suddenly there's a bird cage in a box, and then there's Logan and Rory and there's so many compliments she's getting on the bag and then this is where that moment happens where Richard grabs Logan, and it was like, okay, so I don't know. Moving to Peru, like the whole it was like, okay, it.
Speaker 1: Was okay, Yeah, I mean we talked about this scene awkward and kind of strange and didn't really track for log Yeah's bangs look good, though, I you know what I think he I think he's trying to play his dad wants him to go to a three day conference somewhere and watch all these editors suck up to his dad and it's not something he wants to do, but he's got to do it, and his dad's really really depending on him to do it. So I just think he's just you know, that's that's what it is. He's just down in the dumps. And yeah, poor little rich boy doesn't get to do what he wants to do. It could be used that time to steal more lot yachts and get drunk.
Speaker 5: The one though, when Emily talks about the bag.
Speaker 3: Was Rory, I don't think we're quite there yet.
Speaker 1: I don't think we're there yet.
Speaker 3: I think first we go back to the inn and we have Kirk and Laureli talking about the street names, you know, Constabulary Road, Trusty Bold see this was that was a little bit made me laugh, Trusty Bulge and to Googonga bonga, blah blah.
Speaker 1: The only the only thing that made me laugh about that scene was when Kirk said have a seat. He took charge of the meeting. I thought, Okay, this is gonna be good. Hello, Laurel.
Speaker 5: I I never get tired of the bit of just all of Kirk's jobs, like it'll never get old for me.
Speaker 1: I agree, Well, he takes such a command of them, you know, it's fun to watch.
Speaker 5: I have a seat.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, he owns them.
Speaker 4: Yeah. He doesn't do anything halfway.
Speaker 1: No, he doesn't shy away from it. The guy commits right. Wonderful.
Speaker 3: So then we go to the poolhouse with Edgar the intercom guy, which I guess it was sort of sticky again, but like, yeah, there's plenty of people that.
Speaker 1: Here, we've seen this a million times before.
Speaker 3: We had the nice exchange there about the burken bag, and then I.
Speaker 1: Don't hear when they don't want to hear from Edgar and know, did he collapse and have a heart attack? And then she's it's like, how many times have we seen that?
Speaker 3: Exactly?
Speaker 1: It was hackneyed I think they call it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I liked the exchange which I said between Emily and Rory about the burken bag and Emily clearing up the confusion, and I thought, okay, good Rory saying to Emily, hey, grandpa, you know was asking Logan's intentions about us getting married. Like it was fine because it made it not a Three's Company episode like the one I didn't you know, misunderstanding. So that was good. But yeah, that was fine. Their exchange was fine.
Speaker 1: I don't know what you does, you know what some of these scenes did kind of come off like a bad sitcom, right, yeah, a little company. It's just sort of yeah, there was something really off about this some of the scenes. Some of the scenes.
Speaker 4: I thought it was interesting that Rory went to Emily and asked Emily to talk to Richard instead of Rory just going to Richard totally. What was you know, there was this conversation and Logan was freaked out, like, what did you guys talk about that?
Speaker 5: She's totally She's more comfortable with Richard, not Emily. So it felt off, yeah, and it.
Speaker 3: Was to me.
Speaker 4: It kind of echoed a couple episodes ago when they told when Richard and Emily told Laurelai that Rory was going to be staying with them. Rory wasn't even in the room when they had that conversation, and she was out in the poolhouse, And that always bothered me because Rory's the one that's making this decision. She should be there telling Laurrela she wants to be a grown up. She should tell Lourla herself.
Speaker 3: But I totally agree with that. So then when.
Speaker 4: This other thing happened where she's going to Emily to talk to Richard, it's like you can see how she tries to avoid confrontation because she doesn't like she wants other people to do her dirty work for her, which is how it came across to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was Rory is sort of not rory.
Speaker 4: Ish wrapped around her little finger. She could say anything to him. She didn't need to go through why not.
Speaker 3: And also it's very stereotypical, oh the grandpa asking the intentions. It's like she could have said to Richard, hey, I've got big dreams, I'm not going to marry this guy. But the problem is all her big dreams that she would have said just a few mere months ago are like kind of in the toilet right now, and she is slipped into this sort of dar wifey role. I don't know, it's like the old Rory would have been like, I'm not marrying him, I'm going to be Christiano Mompour.
Speaker 1: So I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's all kind of like, I mean, she's in an interesting place right because she just had this resounding success with this Daar event. But then she's also saying, you know, I don't want to get married young, like she's also kind of pushing that away at the same time, so she's sort of you can see she's sort of still conflicted between the two worlds.
Speaker 3: And so is Richard. He you know, people kind of called out that we I thought we did talk about this, but in the last episode Richard's face at the end, and that's where this is all coming from, because Richard is sort of like, this isn't good and I.
Speaker 1: Need to talk. Do you know what I'm expecting at this point? You know, if Richard's supposed to be this, you know, this educated man, right, wouldn't you think that he would? And maybe this is coming in seven or eight or nine, but you know, there's got to be a time where, which would be completely in character, where Richard sits Rory down and tells her a couple of stories about people that get knocked off the horse and got back on again. I mean, these wonderful historic stories or things that he's read and favorite books and remember remember this, you know, did you read this? And gives her a book and there's a story in there about a girl that got knocked off the horse. Blah blah blah blah blah. It's it's like they're dragging this out too long almost, you know what I'm saying. It's like, and now it's time for Richard to step in and be a real grandfather and be a really positive influencing and get her butt back to Yale. Right. How hard is that? I mean, it's if anybody can do it, it's Richard. He's got all this experience. He's got, you know, an extensive library there. He must have read a story about, you know, fifteen people that got knocked off the horse and get you know, the greatest in the world made by people who got knocked off the horse.
Speaker 5: He's a salesman.
Speaker 3: It's like one of the best salesmen ever.
Speaker 1: What are we doing around? Give me a break? Get there?
Speaker 3: So two questions. The pool. I need to talk about the pool for a second. Is that the pool cover? I'm seeing the same thing? That's the water well.
Speaker 5: I was thinking it was the pool cover because it's fall so everyone's back in school, so it's probably the pool cover. But I don't I mean, I don've never been on the East Coast. I never grew up on the East coast, But like, is that pool cover going to do enough in the cold weather?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Probably, but just please tell me. I'm not to believe that's the water.
Speaker 5: No, I think it was the pool cover.
Speaker 4: I think it was the cover because it wasn't moving, like you didn't see the surface of the water moving.
Speaker 5: And there were leaves. Whoever said there were leaves?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So that's been something that's kind of chapping my high a little bit? Is that a fake pool? Scott? Do you remember the pool?
Speaker 1: Do? I don't remember the pool.
Speaker 3: Because you don't really ever have scenes there. I think you've gone to their house a couple times.
Speaker 1: But I never saw the pool. Yeah. I mean I've been in the dinner scenes. I've been in the at the table. Yeah, I've been in that house plenty of times. Yeah, but I don't remember any.
Speaker 3: Pool has some flags on because.
Speaker 1: The pool house is a different location or the Yeah, the poolhouse is a different location, right, right. They didn't really have it up, they just sort of for this season. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So we then go to the diner and now there's the giant urn. There's a giant urn in my diner. And the bit that I thought was funny actually was like Luke says, call her and she's like, I'm not surrendering, and that was sort of an exchange that I'm like, I get it. They're playing a game of chicken here, and okay, anyone.
Speaker 5: I didn't really care for the scene.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it seemed weird that she had so many things delivered to the house and the inn, and but then this one thing went yeah, I don't know, it didn't That scene didn't really do anything for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, other than when she's like, ah, she's not gonna smoke me out of my fox, so you know all that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think the whole point was they needed a way to trigger that conversation between Luke and Larelai about about the packages.
Speaker 3: So then we go to the scene with Richard and Emily, which, okay, they're in the poolhouse, they're sneaking around, they're snooping around. It was an amusing scene or a scott'says, very entertaining, but also like, oh my god when she says I used to do this all the time with Lorali and it's like, oh god, and the drawer full of titsy, titsy, the drawer full of TUTSI rolls and then Richard saying, well, you should have looked under the TUTSI rolls, and then she's all, Oh, that's gonna bother me. That made me laugh out loud. So what do y'all think of that?
Speaker 4: It was her idea to go snoop around the pool house, but then she yells at Richard for not knowing what they're looking for.
Speaker 6: It's Jojo Siua, host of the new podcast Jojo Seawa Now. It's time to get real, up close and personal. I'm gonna be talking to you like I'm writing in a journal. You're gonna get all of the tea and all of the scoop. I'm also gonna be talking to my friends, to people I admire, to people that are drending right now. So you're gonna get like Jojo Seawa now and like now, what's going on in the world. It's gonna be great, and I really hope you like it. You can listen to Jojo Sewa Now on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts.
Speaker 3: Okay, so, Scott, we want to know your thoughts on the scene where Richard and Emily are snooping around the house. The pool house.
Speaker 1: The most absurd scene I think I've ever seen in the entire six seasons, I've never seen anything so absurd. That's when I just sort of walked out of the room. It just very very much out of character for them, and a real invasion of privacy. I don't like seeing characters behave in ways that don't resemble anything even remotely possible. It's just Richard. No, it was just cringe worthy for me. Sorry, I should probably talk less.
Speaker 3: No, Scott, No.
Speaker 1: I don't like being in a position of not liking an episode this much, but I got to be true to my critical self. Yeah, yeah, that's what I said, can't be absurd stuff.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't mind Emily doing it because it totally tracks for Emily, but Richard's not going to be down with that. He's just not I thought it was kind of amusing that she found the burken bag and she's smelling it.
Speaker 1: He's going to defend her right to privacy. He's going to be appalled by that kind of Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 5: I think it's just ant up with with Richard doing it in this time and how he feels about Rory. I think if it was like before the Mitcham conversation he would have, but not after.
Speaker 3: I just think Richard's never snooping, that's not his.
Speaker 5: No, but he also is someone who does kind of what Emily does so completely shocked me.
Speaker 3: I don't know. There was a little bit of a funny like there's some lingo there. I think he said something about drips and drabs anybody. I don't know. They were shooting the breeze Scotch talk. There was a little bit of amusing dialogue. But yeah, and Emily did make me laugh and when Yeah, but see.
Speaker 1: These are times when actors need to stand up and say listen, you know, can we have a conversation, you know, with the creators? And I just don't feel comfortable doing this because it I mean, I don't know if it necessarily ruins the character, but it certainly weakens the character. And I think, you know, that was a time for maybe Ed to stand up and say, hey, can we talk about this?
Speaker 3: But you know, how does that go when you do that?
Speaker 1: Like, it depends on it depends on the showrunner.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like are some showrunner super open to it and are some like no.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, most are like no, no, yeah.
Speaker 3: Interesting, So I have a question.
Speaker 4: Are Emy and Dan like on the set when you're shooting, or are they off in the writer's room writing the.
Speaker 1: Next They're usually not there. Yeah, they're usually not there.
Speaker 3: So who would you say it to? The is like the director, yes.
Speaker 1: And then the director would make a phone call.
Speaker 3: I would think on this show they aren't as open to it as they are on other shows because the writing is so specific, and I would feel like they're very precious about the writing. But but what do I know?
Speaker 1: You know, we did have discussions about certain logic things. There were so many holes and I feel character holes in this episode. I don't know if you could stand out, that's all you'd be doing the entire time you're on set. It's like, you know, can we have another conversation? You know, and then if it just becomes like a production drag, and that's another thing. It's it's difficult to do that because then you don't want to get labeled a person who is causing delays in that kind of garbage. And you know, I I just think it's important if you're you need to protect your character and if you feel that there are too many distractions going on in the writer's room, and they've sort of left you behind in it and put you in a situation that's not ringing true. You have every duty to bring that up, you know. I think it's good for your ral production. And that's just you know, not everybody's like that, and they may feel it but they don't fall through. But uh, it just depends on it depends. It depends on how invested you are in playing the character. You know, it depends on how much you care about or if you.
Speaker 3: Have the guts to do it, because you might really care, but to be too nervous just to do it.
Speaker 1: Well, you certainly find out very quickly if you have a showrunner who is open minded, you know.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so we go from that scene to the scene that I also it's very kirkish, but we've got the mini gazebo and he's got the maps and they're not even on the map. I was sort of like, hmm, right, Like I Kirk's always fun, but it was sort of right. I don't care about it.
Speaker 5: I think it's like you said that the storyline was just dragged on a little too long. I think that's because I think if this scene was earlier in the episode, you would have liked it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe, yeah, yeah. So then we finally go and Emily finally calls Laura Lies so the Game of Chicken, she finally calls Laurelai and we, you know, discuss all this stuff stuff she was gonna give her anyway, and the dollhouse. So the scene was important because the it's so poignant with Richard and the dollhouse, so that I really really liked the payoff with the dollhouse. And man, did we have to go through a bunch of tipsy turns to get to that.
Speaker 1: But didn't a phone call about the dollhouse between Emily and laurel I seen kind of out of the blue. Yes, yes, So maybe it's just the execution that I'm having a problem with. You know. It just seemed like forced conflict to me, you know, and Laura I getting so upset so quickly about it, and she has every reason to.
Speaker 3: But I don't know I would call it forced reuniting because Emily's figuring out a way to talk to her.
Speaker 5: I think I don't think it was force a conversation because Emily has never called at the right moment like she always is, Like Laura lies in the middle of work dealing with something and Emily wants to chat, you know, like I feel like there's never been a right time. But I think that it goes back to Richard recently saw Larelai and Emily didn't, and she's feeling some type of way about it, and Emily doesn't know how to speak to Lorelei. So this was her way of being like, well, here's your dollhouse. And I think it was a really important moment where she's like, you know, that dollhouse means a lot to me, Like Lorelai doesn't just admit that stuff, like she comes off as like the cool girl who doesn't care. So I think that moment of do whatever you want, but it means a lot to me. I think that it, like you said, Amy, the payoff was worth it. But I think it's also you kind of see that shell breaking of them trying to be like tough guy against each other. M hmm A little bit.
Speaker 4: At first, I thought it was kind of disjointed because as far as I can remember, that's the first time that Emily lorle I have spoken.
Speaker 1: Good word to describe it disjointed, that's right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, since Loralai showed up in their bedroom with the laundry basket full of war stuff. Tara, you made me realize that, Yeah, is feeling put out because she realizes that Richard has talked to her more recently and she was not let in on that. So like her brain dreamed this thing.
Speaker 3: Up as a right, yeah, and then Richard comes in for the win because Emily's like, well then I'll just you know, give the give the dollhouse away to Sotheby's or whatever. And then it's to me, Richard is twofold. He takes the time to bring the dollhouse over, something that Loralai really cares about. So not only is he showing that gesture number two, he's using it to come over and say to her when we need to talk about Rory, which tant amounts to me as I was wrong, and here I am, Yeah I was wrong, and he knows he was wrong. And so to me, like it's all worth that, this all this meandering we have in this episode is worth it, because Okay, finally.
Speaker 1: I don't know if he's if he's feeling like he was wrong. I think he's they're trying to find a solution.
Speaker 5: I think it both.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he he learned he's wrong because he told Laura is the Huntsburgers they didn't do it. They didn't do.
Speaker 1: It, but he knows that they did.
Speaker 3: Now that's why he's that. This is his way of saying to me, he's bringing the dollhouse over.
Speaker 1: But isn't she already aware of that?
Speaker 3: No, he's never told.
Speaker 1: Laura had this conversation.
Speaker 3: No, she doesn't know anything about the confrontation with the Huntsburgers. And that he's realized, Oh god, you were right and I was wrong, and this is that this is.
Speaker 1: Isn't it odd that it happens at the end of this episode. Maybe it's probably how the episode should have began, and that because it would have been the overarching storyline, and that could have informed everything else that was happening with Rory and and and Low. I mean, that was the story, the narrative that was missing in this entire episode because we just came from that that that episode that was so entertained, You're right, you're right, you could is so full of power and fine, and then it's like, where's the thread. It's nowhere to be found in this episode except right.
Speaker 3: It takes a long time to get there.
Speaker 1: It did it right, so disjointed. There you go.
Speaker 5: I think also with Richard, I think he wanted to figure things out on his own a little bit more before going to Laurai. And you can see he did that with trying to talk to Logan. And you know, maybe even though going through Rory's room was out of character, maybe he was looking for something to then take that to the table to LAURALI. But this was a way of reuniting with her for because what other reason would would Richard show up to her house to check in on the fire, Like he didn't have a reason to show up. So doing this, he's like, I'll take it at the dollhouse. And I think Richard knows how much it means to her. Like Richard comes off kind of as someone who doesn't pay attention at times, like he's reading his book whatever, but he knows more than you think.
Speaker 1: Listen, I pine for the scenes that weren't written. I think certain scenes they flash before my eyes. Richard was having to restrain himself to not punch Mitchen Huntsberger in that bathroom, so it was the cat is totally out of the bag. Right. Where is the scene where he sits down with Rory as a loving carrying grandfather to apologize to her and to discuss how to get her back on the horse and to build up her confidence. What is all this pussy footing around in this episode wasting our time?
Speaker 3: She wasn't entertaining she will I think she's I think they.
Speaker 1: Fine have her not listened, but get to the damn story.
Speaker 3: Well, I think that's what he's doing now. I think he's going to Lorelai because originally Lorlai had the plan if we all link arms together, we will be able to get her back to Yale, and then the Gilmours deviated from that plan.
Speaker 1: But on a personal level, he owes Rory, I agree with you.
Speaker 3: I actually agree with you.
Speaker 1: You know, And he owes Laurel I something well, And Rory and Richard have such a good relationship that I don't know why he doesn't sit down with her.
Speaker 3: And say, exactly, we need to get you back to you exactly, I agree with you.
Speaker 1: After that very very dynamic episode, very satisfying episode, I mean, here we are like waiting for it.
Speaker 3: Well, and there's one more thing to talk about in this episode that's sort of interesting is when she tells logan, I love you. That was sort of like it was sort of like should have been a crescendo. But it's how the Gilmore, I mean, it's how the Palladinos like to do it. They give you this big moment that you think is the big moment.
Speaker 1: But really they certainly have a way screwing up really nice moments.
Speaker 5: The guy at the store told me the bag would do this, like that was like the payoff.
Speaker 3: I know. I thought the payoff was when he says I've told a lot of girls I love them.
Speaker 5: I don't know what I mean, like if you told someone you love them and they're like, oh, it's the bag, Like.
Speaker 3: It was sort of a mess. Yeah, and it was it could have That was for me, that's the flag of the episode.
Speaker 1: I like you a little more than just bullshless lying to you about I love you. So I'm not gonna say it, but I don't know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was my favorite scene.
Speaker 1: Oh man, oh my god.
Speaker 3: Huh so yeah, anyway, yeah, that was that could have been. Yeah, that could have been a ten out of ten moment and it was sort of a even if he didn't say it back. And I thought she was right when she said, you know, I someone said it to me once and I didn't say it like there was there was such a better conversation to be had between them.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you that was in life. That's a big mansible, as they say, hanging out there. You know, Yeah, it was tell somebody you love them and you don't get the return. It's like kind of.
Speaker 3: Was a throwaway. And for me, their relationship is so much more serious. So I don't know. I don't know. But then sometimes I think about I think about the movies and I go their relationship is so messed up.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I digress. Oh what do you give it? Favorite lines? What do you give it? I don't know.
Speaker 1: Uh, I like the go ahead, Tara.
Speaker 5: Sorry, I just thought the whole bit was funny. With the bag, so I liked when Rory said my computer cords would fit perfectly in the bag. It was just so like she was just so clueless.
Speaker 3: I think I've said my favorite line was like ten four and four. That made me giggle, And I did giggle. When Richard said you need to look under the TUTSI rolls and she says that's gonna bother me, and that that actually made me laugh out loud.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you have a favorite line, but.
Speaker 1: I liked the sugar cane, the maids out the grapefruit, the sugar cane line, and I also like the I like the logan line when he said I've told a lot of girls that I've loved them, and I'm just not going to say that teacher, because it was just so oh awkward.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm only giving it a seven. What do you I'm going to give it seven.
Speaker 1: Sores and boils, so that would be fourteen total or three and a half stores and three.
Speaker 3: Three and a half, three and a half, yeah, three and a half boils, three and a half sores.
Speaker 5: I'm going to give it. I'm also going to give it seven TOTSI rolls, m.
Speaker 1: Hm hm.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: I'm going to give it. Sorry, I gotta be honest. This is one of my least favorite.
Speaker 3: No, we're not going to judge you give it what.
Speaker 1: I'm going to give it four glasses of single malt Scotch because that's what I'm gonna need to get over this one. Thank you very much, the best fans on the planet. We will see you next time. Keep those cards and letters coming. And don't forget that we collectively and I singularly am all in. Stay safe, everyone.
Speaker 2: Dot dot.
Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, and don't forget. Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com