Speaker 1: I Am all in again.
Speaker 2: Oh it's you.
Speaker 1: I Am all in Town meeting with Suzanne French and Tara suit An iHeartRadio podcast. Hi guys, welcome to another episode of I'm All in Town meeting with myself, Tara and Suzanne, and we've made it to the Mangles episode.
Speaker 2: I loved this episode.
Speaker 1: I love it. But man, there's so many inconsistencies in this episode for me, like so many. I was like, wait, this is that? Like, Oh, I mean, I loved it. I'll always love a younger girls episode. But in my head, I'm like, Lorlai really didn't know about Luke's girlfriend from five years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a little bit of a stretch. I thought like maybe ten years ago, twelve years ago, okay, but fine years ago. I don't think that would have escaped her.
Speaker 1: Five years ago from right now was the pandemic. I'm pretty sure we all remember that.
Speaker 3: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Right, it's not that long. Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I did have a clown pillow spotting.
Speaker 3: Did you see it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? It was like horizontal, it was yeah, it was a different angle. And then there was also a clown portrait. Oh I didn't see that The clown portrait was at the very end when Rory and Lane are at the little stand outside. When Rory and Lane are outside in the little stands when they're like trying to sell everything, there's like a little painting of a clown and I was like, white clowns, but it was at the table they were standing at it, so I'm like, maybe it was loralized.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I didn't even catch that. Emy Sherman Palad you don't has a clown thing because there were crown heads too.
Speaker 1: And there were like random little dull There was so much to look at in this episode in the house. But you know the funny thing about that clown pillow is you only saw it from one angle, and it was the angle above the couch. You couldn't see it from the other side. It just looked like a red pillow. And there were two red pillows, but one was not clown pillow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was it. It caught my eye. I had to go back because I was like, I didn't see the clown pillow. And then when I watched a second time and I saw them, like, oh, it's on a couch, but it was like it wasn't sitting upright. It was like laying flat, and so you really, like you said, from the from the one angle, it just looked like a random red pillow. But then from the other side, when the camera was kind of up above it, you could see.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And for people who sorry, we just I just got real excited about that because I was like, I found it. But for people who are listening, it's the scene where the four girls are sitting on the floor at Loral and Rory's house working on their project, and they're talking about loura I getting pregnant at sixteen and stuff, and it's the angle facing the stairs. Yes, yeah, and the uh, the piano is still there. But then part of me thought, did they get rid of the piano and the rubbish sale or are we gonna find not.
Speaker 3: See it the next episode.
Speaker 2: I don't know, that's a good question.
Speaker 1: There was also why here's another thing that I was like, you really didn't think that's true. They they could have gone to Luke's to work on their projects, like, they could have just gone to the diner.
Speaker 3: I'd have to be at someone's house.
Speaker 2: They could have sat in the gazebo, they could have gone to the library.
Speaker 3: In the grass.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true, but I really was just thinking, like they could have gone to Lukes out of everywhere in the town. But yeah, they just sat on clothes and pillows and blankets. There's literally on the on the table where they're sitting, there's a sign that says like pants men's it.
Speaker 3: Was bright green too.
Speaker 2: One other thing that kind of I don't know that I that it bugged me, but it just kind of caught my attention was this is the so the whole concert idea was laurel I's idea, and Rory didn't really want to do it, like she didn't want to give the girls the tickets, right, and it just it kind of took me back to the I can't remember what episode number it was, but where she where Lorelai invites Dean over to watch Willie Wonka, Like it wasn't Rory's choice, Like Laurela's making these decisions and kind of pushing Rory into doing what she wants.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I mean I think it's more Lurlai wants to put Rory out there and make friends, especially at this or just make friends with anyone but Lane. Now that Lane's not good for her. I'm just saying, like, you know, meet other people, and I think I understand why she does that, but also it's like, you know, I need a push her.
Speaker 2: She's a good kid, right exactly like she you know, she want I get that she wants Rory to kind of come out of her shell a little bit. But at the same time, it's like, you gotta be careful with school stuff, you know, and she's already had this whole scene where she kissed Max at school and the entire student body found out. Yeah, it's like I would just back off of the school relationships with Rory, like let her navigate that on her. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: They were Suky's tickets, and I know, you know the tickets, but it just was weird to me that she gave them away, and like they were really good seats.
Speaker 1: And also they were complaining about the bad tickets, but like the venue was small, they weren't that bad of seats, and the those bleeds like those were they were just balcony seats at like a small theater like if in Los Angeles. I'm thinking of like the Wilter and they're like I've sat up there. It's good seats, but the way they were making it, they're like, have you been in the back of the Rose Bowl? Those are bad seas? You might as well be in the parking lot. Like literally, yeah, they're not bad seas. Also, I don't remember maybe because it's not you know, like I mean, I know that some of the Bengals songs, but not really, but they got a lot of airtime. This is a long scene of the concert.
Speaker 2: I actually enjoyed that. I am a similar age to lorealized. So I also listened to the Bengals in high school, like they were hugely popular in the mid eighties when I was in high school, So I love that part, like Hero Takes a Fall is a great song, and then they did Eternal Flame. But yeah, I enjoyed that park because.
Speaker 1: I like, yeah, I am something else. My other Bones pick was We're coming off the episode where Lane lied to Miss Kim and she got in trouble and they literally tried to lie to missus Kim about Lane going to.
Speaker 3: The concert, and I was like, did you not learn your lesson?
Speaker 1: All of you?
Speaker 2: Yes, I know. My husband and I commented on that last night because we watched both episodes back to back we watched twelve or thirteen, and we like, wait a minute. In the last episode episode it was bad to lie to missus Cam, and now in this episode, lauraalizes like, oh, you were stupid that you told her the truth. It's like, wait a minute.
Speaker 1: I also forgot to mention we've really jumped right into this. I didn't even announce the episode. It was He's a one episode thirteen concert Interrupted and this aired February fifteenth, two thousand and one, which I thought was interesting that the previous episode aired January eighteenth, two thousand and one.
Speaker 3: So there was a whole month off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's interesting because of January.
Speaker 1: It was very it was very weird.
Speaker 2: I didn't realize that it aired so long after the last episode. And that's interesting that you mentioned that because they were the girls were asking Rory how long she's been with Dean and she said it's only been a month. But that was like they got together, like they made it official in the dance episode and that was back. Wasn't that like in October? I can't remember when Rory's dance that was episode nine, so I guess it was four episodes ago. But they would have taken like a winter break. So I don't know, it just seems like it's been more than a month. If that episode didn't air until February.
Speaker 1: I'm pulling up the air dates to see because there's definitely like a winter break. Hold on, let's see. Okay, So what episode was the dance doing it? Oh, Rory's dance?
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Rory's dance was December twentieth, two thousand.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that was after like that was like right before Christmas, okay.
Speaker 1: And then oh and this is when we had the back to back that we talked about forgiveness and stuff. Was December twenty first, so the day after, and then Paris's burning was January eleventh.
Speaker 3: Double date was January.
Speaker 1: Eighteenth, so they didn't really take off for Christmas kind of like they did, but they didn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's still it was about two months. I mean, maybe they didn't I know what was going to air that late. Maybe they thought it was going to air earlier. I don't know, but it's.
Speaker 1: And knowing what episode comes next. I'm surprised that the Bengals episode was the Valentine's Day episode.
Speaker 2: Oh that's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I wonder if it was like something on the seed dope was it c W No?
Speaker 3: Then no WB.
Speaker 1: Sorry. I wonder if it was something with the WB that like scheduling went off, because I don't know, like February fifteenth, This doesn't feel like a Valentine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe this one was supposed to have been like late January, early February, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's funny or like just up, move up a week, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I want to talk about this weird thing that my husband and I noticed. And I can't remember. I did not discover this. I read about it somewhere and I can't remember when or where I read it in the and I meant to pull out the DVD to see what it looks like on the DVD and I didn't get a chance. But in this in the beginning where they're in the living room and Lane is holding they're sorting all the stuff and Lane is holding the poster of the cat in the toilet.
Speaker 1: I remember seeing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And they even comment on it in the dialogue because one of them says something about the cat and the toilet, and then the other one says, oh, another one, if you look at the actual picture in the poster, look at the like the bottom edge of it, it looks like it was there's like a computer It looks like it's computer generated, like they were trying to cover something else up, like edit it out. Maybe I don't know. The bottom edge of the picture is wobbly and funny. I've read that somewhere and then it's always like been in the back of my mind and so I we we My husband and I like watched it and rewatch it like ten times. We're like, yeah, there's something weird going on there, So I don't know if there was.
Speaker 3: Wait, I'm pulling this up. Remind me which scene it is.
Speaker 2: It's the first scene after the open, okay, so it's at the very beginning they have the first the opening is in loralized room and then there's credits, and then the next scene they're in the living room, right, so it's at the beginning of that scene.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I can share my screen, but I just pulled it up, so hold on.
Speaker 2: It's really weird, but if you look at you can really see it. If you look at the bottom of the picture frame, like the lower edge.
Speaker 1: Oh, her finger when she's holding it.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, she holds it and then like she she kind of tips it back and you can see the reflection. But then when she tips it forward and when she sets it down.
Speaker 1: I'm literally watching this in slow motion right now, hold on point five speed one point negative one point five speed.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, no it hasn't. It reflects.
Speaker 1: Okay, when she first turns it, it looks like it's glow like maybe because of lighting.
Speaker 3: But I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: There's just something weird about it.
Speaker 1: We have to let the audience weigh in on this. Yeah, we definitely need to post a picture of that because I think, but yeah.
Speaker 2: He's normally does look weird. Because I'm watching it on my iPad.
Speaker 1: Her hand Lane's left thumb looks weird, but it's only because I was staring at her thumb. Then when I watched it in negative one point five and I slowed it down on Netflix from my computer.
Speaker 3: It looks normal to me.
Speaker 1: It looks like how a light, like the light hits on a picture, like a painting, a picture like I have a canvas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like it reflects off the frame. But the actual so I see what you're talking about there, But like the actual picture itself looks like it's moving relative to the frame, If that makes sense. I don't know. It's just see that looks weird to me.
Speaker 3: That's so funny.
Speaker 1: I'm brought You're probably not alone, to be honest.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know, but the audience can weigh in and tell us what they see. I'm to look at the DVD and see if there was like maybe a different picture in the DVD or if it looked the same. And I didn't get a chance.
Speaker 3: To do it interesting.
Speaker 1: The one the one thing I wanted to point out that I thought was funny. Paris's outfit for the concert was such like a mom outfit, and I was like, what is Paris like? She looks cute, but I was like, this turtleneck with this like buttoned up coat all the way to the top, and she's wearing that coat through the whole show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Rory. I thought Rory's jacket that she wore to the concert was a little weird. It was like weather patchwork with denim, I don't.
Speaker 1: I for sure thought that, like Lorla, I just found it in the rummage and handed it to her, and they were like the outfits in this episode. I think because of the rummage sale. Maybe that's why it was like everything was all over the place. Yeah, maybe literally and figuratively.
Speaker 2: And that the Rachel's sweatshirt jacket, like that thing was horrible. I don't see anyone wearing that, like, especially because we meet Rachel later and she's very well put together, Like, I don't see anybody.
Speaker 1: Okay, it would have been nineteen ninety six. Would she have worn that in nineteen ninety six if we're going back five years from two thousand and one, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: I don't think so. I don't remember that ever being bandana.
Speaker 1: Sure, the bandana was. The bandana was very two thousand and one. That's on one like justin Timberlake used to wear that and in sync.
Speaker 2: There were a lot of bandanas. Yeah, because there were bananas chiltern like, yeah, there was.
Speaker 3: Two thousand and one with the era of bandanas.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 1: Well then, actually, you know, you have to remember that they filmed this in two thousand, which, by the way, at the very very end, the same place where I pointed out the clown portrait, Lane is wearing a Bengals two thousand tour shirt. And then I went to go look at one this air and it was two thousand and one, but they filmed it in two thousand, so I was like, I was thinking, like, oh my god, how sweet Rory brought home her a T shirt. But then I'm like, but this is two thousand and one.
Speaker 2: That's true. I didn't even think about that because I thought so too, because Laura I had she bought T shirts for everybody, and so I thought, well, she probably didn't give the shirts to Madeline and Louise because they took off, so.
Speaker 1: Blaine got it to Lane.
Speaker 2: But you're right, I didn't even realize that the year was different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it didn't even say like two thousand to two thousand and one tour, because there are a lot of tours that go on for like two years.
Speaker 3: But nope, it was just two thousand.
Speaker 1: So I'm like, Okay, well, maybe this episode really wasn't supposed to Well maybe it wasn't supposed to air in February.
Speaker 3: Again, it's not a Valentine's Day episode, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true. Maybe it was supposed to be earlier.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I did really like I had a heart for Paris in this episode, Like I really did. I think this is kind of where we see she likes Rory's life, like you know what I mean, Like Paris is Paris, but she's kind of jealous of what Rora has with her mom, but she it doesn't come off as jealousy. It comes off as like admiration. It feels like like I admire the ruler and I like that she stayed and she's like, this is the best night ever. I know.
Speaker 2: I thought that was cute. It made me kind of feel bad for her because the night was like so completely traumatic for Rory, but Paris is like this is the best night ever. In my gosh, her.
Speaker 3: Life must suck. That's so true.
Speaker 2: You were at the sponsors She's like, I really like this band, Like, yeah, it was nice. I was glad they had that kind of little bonding thing going on there.
Speaker 1: And I guess back to parenting, I even though we said, like why were they gonna lie to missus Kim, I did like that. It's a second episode where Laurelize like being a parent and she's like, you and me and your parents are gonna have a huge conversation and you know you can't do this around my kid, and I agree with her.
Speaker 3: Like they were sixteen and they went some random party.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I kind of also got the feeling that, like, their parents aren't gonna care though, I mean they already are hands off parents, you know, they're never around. And Louise talks about how her dad's in jail.
Speaker 1: I mean, so true, true, true, true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it was it was a good episode. There was a couple inconsistencies that were pretty glaring. One was when they were at Luke's and she was wearing that sweatshirt and Luke was mad when they when the angles kept switching back and forth, there was a pair of blue gloves in front of Loralai that kept appearing and disappearing, like sometimes they were there there. And then the other thing, which I don't know how no one caught this, but when they knocked when she was knocking on the apartment door in the in the apartment building, when she knocks on it, it had a different apartment number than when the guy actually opened the door.
Speaker 1: Oh really, they had a sign, but.
Speaker 2: It was I'm trying to find it now. So when she knocked on it, it said three D, like apartment three on the actual door, and then when the guy opens the door, it says three D and then it says two E when he opens it, like it's the side actual apartment number above the sign. Somehow magically switched from three.
Speaker 3: D they changed levels.
Speaker 2: You would think that somebody would have caught that in production.
Speaker 1: Wait, our producer Jackie just said, did you guys ask who that who that guy was? Oh?
Speaker 3: He was Superman.
Speaker 2: Oh I didn't notice that. I did notice that they said one of the boys was named.
Speaker 1: Jackie to catch that too clearly, we're Verian, yes, okay.
Speaker 3: And then isn't he in the Rookie?
Speaker 1: Oh I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yes, he's in the rookie.
Speaker 3: He's in the Rookie.
Speaker 2: He's Superman. And yes, that's him. Oh I didn't even catch that.
Speaker 3: Look at you, Jackie.
Speaker 2: I just noticed because he's handsome and he's Superman.
Speaker 1: He was very handsome. I actually was like, oh, this guy's cute. Like I don't really blame them, but yeah, oh my gosh. Okay, well, thank you for calling that out before everyone got on us.
Speaker 3: You're welcome.
Speaker 2: I know, right, we would have been in big trouble for that.
Speaker 1: That's so funny. But yeah, well synergy, I guess right, Warner Brothers.
Speaker 2: But one other thing, now, I'm looking at my notes again. One other thing that didn't quite line up for me was Luke buying sushi magnets.
Speaker 1: Okay, I had to rewind to make sure he said sushi magnet because I was like, what did he say? And he said it so confidently, like it was like a hamburger or a hot dog.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Luke, I don't see him being a sushi kind of guy.
Speaker 3: No, not even a California role.
Speaker 2: No, No, I agree. So I don't know this this episode it was great. I loved it, but you kind of had to suspend your disbelief a little bit and kind.
Speaker 1: Of well again, I just have a really big feeling that it wasn't supposed to air here because the whole thing with the parenting and the lying, it's like, you can't come off an episode saying don't lie to missus Kim, and then you want to lie to Missus Kim, and then like the little things where I'm just like, I just don't feel like this landed in the right placements in this season.
Speaker 3: But I love the episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah. That could be because other than the mention of how long she's been with Dean, there isn't really anything that ties it to any other episode, So it could have really aired anywhere in the sequence and still fit in. So maybe you're right, like maybe it was supposed to air earlier, or like there was something that happened on the production side that it didn't But.
Speaker 1: Because even like even in the town there were no decorations, and I noticed when she like at one point when she's walking in the town, it's just like cold, you know, and gloomy.
Speaker 3: But like other than that, like that could have been any time of the year.
Speaker 1: It wasn't winter, right, Yeah, me, it could have been winter, but it wasn't snowing.
Speaker 2: So yeah, agreed.
Speaker 1: But I love the episode minus all the comments we had.
Speaker 2: I mean it was you know, season one, good stuff.
Speaker 1: Good stuff, just banger after banger. All right, Well, the next episode is going to be season one episode fourteen, that Damn Donna reed, which aired February twenty second, two thousand and one.
Speaker 3: And I think that this was supposed to be the Valentine's Day episodes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would make sense.
Speaker 1: I agree. We need to go back and do like some digging twenty four years ago on what happens. We should call someone at Warner Brothers. But anyway, we will see you next time.
Speaker 2: Meeting Adjourning.
Speaker 1: Everybody, and don't forget.
Speaker 2: Follow us on Instagram at i Am All In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com