Speaker 1: On today's episode of the Command Center Podcast, we got Grandpa Peter's cooking man.
Speaker 2: It is so good.
Speaker 1: We talked about all the new faces coming in the old faces.
Speaker 2: That are coming back.
Speaker 1: You did such a good job identifying who we are what we need to be as commanders.
Speaker 2: And then did Fred take a nap in the parking lot? My back went out, his back went out? Is that true story? It all starts right now. Welcome into the Command Center Podcast.
Speaker 1: I'm Logan Falsenate with Fred Scoot and Santana Mosy.
Speaker 2: It is I know this today. I switched it up, dude, you got me.
Speaker 1: I was dying last couple of times you said that it.
Speaker 3: Is I.
Speaker 1: And as always we are presented by Cognire Technology Secure Today, Shape Tomorrow, and so today we are going to do a big, huge, comprehensive free agency review kind of talk about maybe some additional moves that you would make and free agency things they're keep an eye on.
Speaker 2: But Fred and I have a bet a year a little bit, it's a years old. Bet, it's not quite a years old yet, just shy of a year.
Speaker 1: About a month, yeah, about a month side of the air, and basically what it is is we did.
Speaker 2: Jason, can you help me through this real quick?
Speaker 3: It's yeah.
Speaker 4: So I produced a show with you, It's our Ticket to the Draft podcast and Fred came on last year Drafty Challenge. You challenge each other to do your guaranteed ballers in the draft.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So now we're a year past, so we can see if your guarantees paid out or not. But you guys made a bet on that podcast one who would have the better or more?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Here, I was pretty confident on the line in a year from now to this date.
Speaker 5: It's your birthday to this date, one of us we.
Speaker 3: Have to stand up in front of the other, one.
Speaker 5: On one knee, insane, Yeah, own one knee and say you my friend on this drift gluru in the building and I'm nothing and I personally am nothing.
Speaker 2: Unless that's right.
Speaker 6: So that's I gotta find out how one needle.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm on one need So that's what's on the line. And we decided this is going to be a visual thing. It's better to do visually than podcasts. So or the Command Center show that will air on April seventeenth, right before the draft.
Speaker 3: Fred, that's also.
Speaker 4: Your birthday, My birthday, so it could be Fred's greatest birthday or worse birthday, because one of them is going to have to do this on the show.
Speaker 3: So make sure you tune in.
Speaker 7: Told Logan to bring his knee pads then he used to play him.
Speaker 3: Back in the day, You're gonna have to hit that knee and say.
Speaker 2: You really.
Speaker 1: The more I think about this, the more mad I got about it. I'm just like, did I really make that bet?
Speaker 2: Because I don't. I don't need that. I don't need that smoke in my life.
Speaker 7: Yes, you do, because you feel, you feel very confident in your draft analysis, you feel very companies in your draft breakdown, and then here comes guru like me who does is our frequency and sound ways and feel and I do it differently.
Speaker 6: So would this befred first win?
Speaker 8: If he does win beta beta quite quite a few times, and I don't think he's.
Speaker 6: One one.
Speaker 1: Because the thing I'm worried about those is I picked a bunch of guys and I think a lot of them are injured this year or so I'm just like, and I know Fred picking my liars, but yeah, so.
Speaker 6: What it would be good if you get a win?
Speaker 7: Because I mean, that's why I say we should have been bowled by now, that would have been a victory. But I must tell y'all these guys this weekend I felt mortality and this is.
Speaker 6: What I mean.
Speaker 7: I pulled to a gas station. In the gas station it was vacuums, so I was like, oh, it's seventy degrees. Let me vacuum the car. I get out the car, go on the passioner side, put the coins in there, start the vacuum, and my back goes.
Speaker 3: Sat Tanna.
Speaker 7: I had laying on the concrete when I called and passing, not able to move.
Speaker 3: My God, listen to me. When I crawled, I didn't even been the vacuum. The cotte threw the vacuum down.
Speaker 7: I crawled around till the driver's side.
Speaker 3: God myself into the seat.
Speaker 8: I just need to know what what gas station so I can get to carry.
Speaker 3: I want to see.
Speaker 2: It was the BP.
Speaker 6: I want to see it.
Speaker 7: Right by Philo there right there. I literally fell to the ground. It was down for like at least.
Speaker 3: No one came up to nobody not to help me. All they see all they heard in the background. Oh the truth heaping in my back.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: It was so embarrassing.
Speaker 7: And then when I got home, I was like, it's here, So I say, it's all down here from now, like it's no turning back now.
Speaker 2: To you forty forty five, but your birthday come up.
Speaker 8: But see, this is the thing, this is why it goes out because he lies so much about the working out he's doing, and then he finally needs to kick in.
Speaker 9: He can't you do about don't I just rode a bike the way.
Speaker 2: They couldn't even didn't even miss a beat.
Speaker 6: Mortalent and immortality with.
Speaker 2: Some people that are still incredibly vital. Yeah, still young in shape.
Speaker 8: Shape, seven year old woman out there doing squats and doing pull ups. You know what I mean. So you know in my bad going out and want to see talking with that tongue.
Speaker 3: Listen, And I asked for help.
Speaker 2: I can't you know, I'm not the fact you crawled and pretty listen to me, I'm not playing.
Speaker 7: When I got home, I can't, like daddy all right, no, like I need help, like.
Speaker 2: So what you do?
Speaker 7: Literal like it took me because I couldn't sit up in my seat. It took me like and this is nowhere from my crib to.
Speaker 3: Me like fifteen and you yeah, I'm rolling the sideway. I was like, I can't.
Speaker 7: And then listen, I'm serious, man, you I needed help. I was like, if I had a life alert right now, I would have pressed the button because I was hard on him.
Speaker 2: Dude, you should come on one that had been so funny.
Speaker 3: And say can I get up? Copy?
Speaker 2: If you would have come, I would have come helped you. I would have recorded you, and then I would come help you.
Speaker 8: Say you would have most define while I'm picking.
Speaker 6: Them up, looking at looking at the food, looking at food, give me, give me, give me your head.
Speaker 3: I haven't get.
Speaker 6: Then when his head get for always joking on people?
Speaker 2: Oh goodness, right, you gotta call the guest. You got.
Speaker 6: This podcast footage? Man? We read it?
Speaker 2: Okay, here we go. Well, see if you can find that footage. Track it down for you.
Speaker 1: Anyway, So we're doing a free agency review, and again there's a lot of guys that we're really excited to talk about. I'm just gonna say the names off real quick. We got Deebo, Samuel Who, Javon Kinlaw who, Will Harris, Jonathan Jones, Dietrich Wise, and Eddie Goldman are kind of the Martoy Marquee signings of that group. And so I guess we've already.
Speaker 2: Talked a lot about Devo when he does for the offense, but.
Speaker 1: You know, just talking about maybe Adam Peters and his kind of ability to find some pieces, you know, that weren't on the board initially.
Speaker 7: To start, I've learned this about Adam Peters. First of all, let grandma cook hashtag. Second of all, copyright. He's seeing through jed opp mind tricks. Where other people see this is a slow market, not him, because he ain't looking at boy who's free.
Speaker 3: He looking at who's on your roster. He's looking at situations.
Speaker 7: He literally back and watch the Texans last year go on the spending spree because they feel like they was in they wonder knowing that they were gonna have to pay people. And now here it comes and he says, you know what, here goes a cap situation. Let me go and take advantage of it. Listen, Adam Peters Jedi.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it's tremendous.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 8: I think when you look back at just some of the things that we did last year, we was able to do last year with those guys that we brought in, we.
Speaker 6: Didn't really know, you know what it was going to look like.
Speaker 8: We know, we brought in a lot of guys on to put them on a one year deals, and we was like, hey, you know a lot of these guys are veterans, so we sure that they can catch on quick.
Speaker 6: And when you see the talent.
Speaker 8: Now a year, a year later, a year later, you're like, wow, like you know, and you know what we have here with the coaching staff.
Speaker 6: You know we have here with some of the young talent already.
Speaker 8: So it's just tremendous that you can you you for years, we've been saying we need a guy for this job for years, we need a real guy who's going to know them, who knows how to pick talent. And then you get one and it's like year one, then miss a b. Year two, well, year one he showed all of the year two have missed the beat already. He's gotten off to a good start. So now it's now it's about seeing how these guys are. I guess you can say they fit the puzzle. You see what I'm saying, See where where can they slide in and what value do they bring to the team.
Speaker 7: Well, just like the great poor Kendre Lamar said, you know, sometimes you have to just jump out and show people.
Speaker 3: And that's what he doing.
Speaker 2: Frince Phil himself ready to go back.
Speaker 6: To add to day, keep the painting with.
Speaker 7: All I'm saying is he's on the he was on a mission to upgrade at least every room with one player like so he's almost pushed where we was last year, pushed everybody down one pig and then inserted more talent.
Speaker 3: Like that's how you upgrade the roster.
Speaker 7: I have seen people go out and say I'm gonna upgrade the roster, and now they doing his add names. No, he's adding, he's adding to an arsenal. And then let's let's be honest. He's identified what he want between ken law Wise and Goldment.
Speaker 3: He's a mountain of men.
Speaker 2: The big dude thes a.
Speaker 3: We got bigger in it room. Not only better, we got bigger.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about that defensive line room for a second, because again, like two guys that I just got to give shout outs to. So Dietrich Wise from the New England Patriots plays defensive end, comes in on third down at defensive tackle Russian side, is a big man six y five ye two hundred and eighty five pounds, big old house, good against.
Speaker 2: The run, but also can rush the passer a little bit.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Eddie Goldman, Right, I played with him in Chicago for a year. It's in sixteen. He's a three hundred and thirty five pounds six y five like run stopper.
Speaker 2: That's explosive. You can do line stuffs with him. Stuff. So I'm one just like, look at these two dudes, like the raising, Like what are the issues they had? Last year? Was stopping the run? Right, So let's go out and find people.
Speaker 1: Because there's a schematic element, there's also a personnel element too, right, So like I don't want Deron have any double teams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't want Jerzon to have the double teams. I can get Eddie Goldman out there, and that's what he is good, that's what he's made for. Let's let him do that. And so I think that's a great point.
Speaker 1: And then I think the interesting thing about Javon Kinlaw is like what is his role Because you're watch him on film crazy explosive man like explosive.
Speaker 7: And I'm looking for him to be more explosive because they asked him to gain twenty pounds in New York because they wanted him to play the point of at tech.
Speaker 3: I'm sure Peter's gonnax him. Let's take that twenty pounds back out.
Speaker 1: So that's an interesting one because it's like what do you because this is the tennis point, like having a guy at the gam spot and to Fred's point, like that knows what they want and who they want to be. Like Javon Kinlaw is not a great run stopper, but you can rush the past. So how do you maximize that skill set? Because you do have an athlete who is unequivocally explosive, dynamic.
Speaker 3: And bad attitude.
Speaker 2: Bad attitude.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, he's one of these guys show up with a nasty attitude.
Speaker 2: We were talking, you were talking. I didn't watch. His interview is great, Brian Colbert on Next Man Up. You can check it out on the Commandity.
Speaker 3: Goatch this interview.
Speaker 2: We're so good about it. Just give us a pre right. First of all, have you seen him?
Speaker 7: First of all, his energy, everything stores with energy. He was homely the story homeless living in Southeast DC. Like you said I was. I was bowing in it. When it comes to being the part of his fan mase, this is all I eat, sleeping, Listen, if you feel the intensity coming out for him, you know, I want to be in I want to be in the trenches with him, a dark alley.
Speaker 3: I won't, I won't camerong with me.
Speaker 1: Well, it's interesting because like Adam knows him from San Francisco, and then obviously the old coach for the Jets. I forget to say Old Brick was the interim coach. He knows Dan Quinn very well.
Speaker 2: Robert Sala knows.
Speaker 1: Dan really well, knows Adam really well. They coach the other so they know exactly who this is. And there's no doubt in my mind that like that personality, that energy, that competitive fire, that competitive toughness fits in.
Speaker 2: So well with what they've got here.
Speaker 1: So everyone I remember, I got a lot of questions on Instagram and social media about like why they bring him in, Like he's bad against the run.
Speaker 2: I don't know why they brought him in, but he's wired the right way to yes this last.
Speaker 1: And when I watch on film, he's got something to him that hasn't been tapped into yet. And I just look at what this coaching staff did last year. I look at what Daryl tapped out. I look what Ryan Kerrigan like, you can get it.
Speaker 7: Out of him first of all people x Y. We bring in fil last year for ten and a half six.
Speaker 2: So this is what I'd say to you, Tanne.
Speaker 1: This is the other thing is you get in some pieces, right, and you can't keep everybody, and you.
Speaker 2: Set a value for a player. Yeah, this is a crazy deep defensive line draft. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sure, and I think at twenty nine there's going to be a guy who can make a difference for you.
Speaker 3: And a sickond round and did Yeah, So.
Speaker 1: Like maybe you're playing like, hey, we've got some really solid pieces where we signed Cleveland, Ferrell, resigned, Dietrich Wise, we bring in kin Law, who we don't really know at this point. There's some rumor circling that maybe he's going to play like an edge rusher type position, crush the pocket, and then all of a sudden, you just need one more because you got four right there, and I'm saying one more dynamic piece. So maybe you set a value at him, you exceeded the value, and like that's one of the things you did, Like with Jeremy Chin's a great example of this. It's a technique you say, hey, go test the market, we think your value is this yet more than that?
Speaker 2: Go for it?
Speaker 7: And what if we want to get younger at the musicition? So I think you one thing you love to match up if you want to really do something, you want to make sure your quarterback which we got that check, and your top pass rusher you want them to kind of be around.
Speaker 2: The same age.
Speaker 8: Free agency can get a little tricky for guys who are not really in tune with how things are done when it comes to like, I guess you can say in that room, in that war room, because you forget it's a draft, so you get caught up in the whole free we all do it because I'm sitting there, like, but then you think about, oh damn, you just said the draft got There's going to be more value out there, younger talent, you know what I mean, Guys that you can probably fill in too, So I can you know, I've heard a lot of people, you know from just listen to the radio talk about certain guys and some of the people who DM me in I'll just be I leave them crickets.
Speaker 6: I can respond to it.
Speaker 7: But you use free agency so you don't have to hel prison of doing the Dre. You use free agency so I can go into the draft saying I'm not a prison to no room.
Speaker 3: I just won't best play this.
Speaker 7: This is what we did, I feel because we weren't gonna find no Larry Mtunsel in this year's draft.
Speaker 3: We pinally gonna find out Deebo samdels in this year's dream.
Speaker 7: Like, so how I look at it is from what he got us set up as is truly we.
Speaker 3: Can go it there now and just cherry pick talent. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think the other thing too.
Speaker 1: To keep in mind this is this is an interesting kind of something that people don't think about as much. Is like, when there's a good draft, this a certain position. So let's say defensive end, just as an example, more teams draft defensive lineman. That means they also cut.
Speaker 6: Veteran defensive line.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So in that second or third wave of free agency, which is post draft, Yeah, there's gonna be some good players, right, maybe more players that you're willing to spend a little bit more money on, right, Like, so there's multiple opportunities here. Again, Like, obviously we were bummed Dante's leaving because he had such a great year last year for us, But there's other opportunities to kind of fill those with a younger, maybe more talented piece, maybe a piece that fits your culture for a longer window than a year. Yeah, and I think that's all. And then the other thing too that we haven't talked about is the trade value. Right obviously Trey Henderson as an example, is still available, you know what I mean. And so again I've heard that they're asking crazy price.
Speaker 3: The price tags.
Speaker 8: They definitely don't need some money now because this is gayly a lot of money.
Speaker 3: Well when you give away two hundred and fifty meal in the one room.
Speaker 7: But now, I just think, as long as time goes pass, this is the list they gonna get for trading. And so at one point they have to be realistic on his trade value. And when he eat a player is unhappy, I eat a player is being basically here a hostage and not gonna get paid. Like hundreds of years, your trade value goes down, it doesn't get bigger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So again, there's a lot of opportunities to replace some of those pieces. But I do think that the guys they brought into Fred's initial point are guys that are good, competitive, tough football players.
Speaker 2: On the defensive line. Let's talk about the secondary real quick.
Speaker 1: So these are guys we haven't talked about a ton of Will Harris's safety was in New Orleans last year. I think he was drafted to Detroit if I'm not mistaken. And then Jonathan Jones cornerback from the New England Patriots, little nethers size guys like five nine, like one hundred and ninety pounds. Yeah, but ran a four to three at the combine lightning quick. Let's talk about how these guys fit in here. I think Will Harris is maybe the most interesting because, like we talked about, you know, bringing back Jeremy Chin and they let him walk. I think he is a very good football.
Speaker 6: For remind me.
Speaker 8: As soon as I saw what we was getting, I'm like, oh man, yeah, we just we just actually lost one and gained one.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 8: I mean Will Harris And I watched a little bit of him last year, didn't even I didn't know what I was paying attention to.
Speaker 6: Saw flashes of him. Yeah, but he's violent.
Speaker 8: And when you're talking about how we how we picking these guys and what we wanted to do, yeah, you know, coach said it. Well, I think I still go back to that first interview with coach with you know how he spoke about you know, I decordingly spoke about the type of guys he wanted to bring in here and what he want them to show up to the party with. And man, I saw this dude make a couple of open field tackles and just not even that, just going down there, digging out, you know, lining.
Speaker 6: And getting to the getting to the bay energy.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he's going to show up at your front door and he won't he won't smoke.
Speaker 7: He put the money in the bag. He that type of dude like he can do pretty much anything. You asked him to play any any safe position you actually moved down and the knickel could play the nickel position, so he so he can he can basically add to anything or fill in any gap you got.
Speaker 3: But just go turn on the tape against US last year.
Speaker 7: If you want to know what you're getting in this player, just go turn on the tape against US and Jonathan Jones. What you're getting is one the constant professional. You getting a guy that's been there, done that, two time Super Bowl winner. You getting a guy that's the question is do you move him inside or do you move Mickey Center still inside.
Speaker 2: What they do and again, like I think you also resigned. It's great he can move inside.
Speaker 6: We got we just got, we just got we got deep. I got depth? Is there? Now you can? Now you can? Now you have more bodies at that corner bay.
Speaker 8: We were talking about we need corners, and to me, I feel like that just solidified us.
Speaker 6: Our room getting a lot more stronger, you know.
Speaker 1: And it's it's a great opportunity to provide some flexibility, some depth. And I do think that Jonathan Jones can play the nickel, you can play outside in the pinch. And so I think about the guy that he's coming in for. It's like Benjamin Saint Juice or Davis from my year, and I think unequivocally he's great. He's an upgrade. That's another knock on those guys. He's just a more established.
Speaker 7: Say well season consistent, you know, like he's just been there, done it like some stuff. When this is not hate like sometimes you just I'm just reporting the news. I don't make the news. I just report the news. And right now Saint Juice play for the Chargers. I'm glad you reunited with your college coach. You know, he played for Harball, so everybody wins in this thing. But hey, come on in and welcome home. Jonathan Jones to Saint Juice. How do you some Beagles?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think he's a he's a heck of a And I think that's the thing, as Tenny you said it.
Speaker 2: Will Harris really competitive, high energy, high energy. I think he adds a little bit. Actually, I love Jeremy Chip, but.
Speaker 3: I think he's on the cover side. He most definitely does.
Speaker 2: I think Will Harris adds a little bit of value there too.
Speaker 1: And you get a guy like Jonathan Jones with the experience, the leadership, the ability to kind of mentor a room. I think that's always that's pretty fantastic. So you know, those are kind of the main defensive additions. And it does and people like, oh, there's no big name in there outside of Kenlong maybe, but I think all these guys are really good pros and they raise the floor. And I think that there's a lot of value in saying this is the floor and then in the draft, let's see if we can add a little bit of accent and.
Speaker 7: It's a flavor to it, Like right now, this is the meeting to bree it right. Yeah, when we go into the draft, them at the top is lid is tomato mayo mustard, like make.
Speaker 3: The sandwich taste good.
Speaker 7: And that's why you don't want to have to go in there and say we got to leave out of here with the left tackle. And we'll leave out of here with the left tack. Now you're going to force your way to draft to somebody you probably shouldn't need to draft.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so I guess, yeah, let's get into the next segment here, So risk it for the biscuit. Adam Peters keep cooking, keeps cooking. And this segment is always presented by marsh mc lennon agency. You're a partner in risk and people's strategies. And so we alluded to this already. And one thing we didn't talk about was the laramie tunsil trade. Mm and man, like you know, producer Jason, he sent me like a little gift. And it's like there's no good left tackles left on the market, you know, because Ronnie Stanley resigned the kid in Jacksonville, resigned the kid in La Leric Jackson He resigned to La So it's like, yeah, there aren't a good left tackles, like what are you gonna do? And that's something that really need to happen. Then Adam Peters like, hold my.
Speaker 2: Beer, works out this straighter.
Speaker 1: And this is like the thing you were talking about at the beginning, Like it's the free agency is bad.
Speaker 2: But what are you gonna do about it? Yeah, you still got to make the team better.
Speaker 7: He literally went and looked at out thirty two teams and said who is in camp? Hell one team the forty nine. I take Debo, another team the tixas I take Larry my Tons. He looking at situational football. He's looking at he looking at it bigger. He looking at the fine print where other people don't see. These people need to make a move. He's anticipating them. I got to either make this move now, I'm gonna pay for it later. And I think he looks at teams that's under the rest and got to have cap problem. So that's deeper than everybody would because if you asked me two weeks ago, could we trade for Tomson just just after those and I'd have been like, we could, but they not us.
Speaker 6: And I'm glad you brought it up.
Speaker 8: I was gonna ask you little because I think you want those guys that kind of probably can dive a little deeper into what what conversation comes up with those gms to get a guy like Tumson like, especially when you don't hear it. You know, sometime you hear the rumblings of debo might get get traded. We didn't hear nothing about Tonson and this coming off of last year, the only thing that he had hanging over was those penalties, you know what I mean? So what kind of conversation you think came up with those guys to get up get him over here with us?
Speaker 1: So I think the one thing that people need to understand is that like there's everyone's got a price, yeah right, And I think what Fred like pointed out there is like I need to find the right team. And so if there's a piece that I want with the Houston Texans, I'm gonna call him be like, hey, what would it take to move Laramie? And they probably say, you know, hey, it's gonna take a first round pick.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We say, oh, we'll came back, yeah, go back and say how about this? Yeah? They said, well, but about this?
Speaker 1: And then it's it starts off as we're not going to move them, and then eventually they.
Speaker 2: Get we're having a conversation.
Speaker 1: We realized that they like, they realized they wanted to happen. They realize they can offload an asset right and we have some cap room so that they can extend people and get ready for C. J.
Speaker 2: Stroud or we'll have it.
Speaker 3: It's the very stingly deal. They just got signed for ninety million dollars because of this.
Speaker 7: It's because of this, because of the Larry Tunsil trade, so they had to free that money. They couldn't And this this is why I say Adam Peter's on another level because he's anticipating they got to RESTIDN Stingley. They can't only do that if they free some cap room. Let me go help them.
Speaker 6: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 8: That's the special part of it that a lot of folks don't probably think about that. There's guys that's so special what they do, especially when it comes to just you know, picking players. You're not sitting there waiting for a guy to say, okay, it's a potential trade. You know, the shopping you're basically looking at everybody's you know, roster saying well, I'm gonna go start to pay this guy. They cap on you here, so that's it. We can get them the budget off of this guy. You know what I'm saying, It takes a skill for you to have that.
Speaker 7: The next time I would look at is the New York Jets. They just cut see J.
Speaker 2: Mosley.
Speaker 6: They cut see J.
Speaker 7: Mosley because they got the sign south cutting. So I'll be looking on the Roston see who I like, they either needs to be paid I already got paid.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that's the other thing too, is like people make these people think it's like, oh, just because in the news you hear that so and so's available for trading.
Speaker 2: I know you guys don't think it.
Speaker 8: Don't even be about that. I mean, that'd be smoke. Yeah, that'd be the agent still.
Speaker 1: But my point is that, like you're these calls happen almost all the time time, Like do you remember when we're the forty nine ers trader for Jim Agaroppolo?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Remember that that was like in twenty seventeen. They initially called about Tom Brady. You know what I'm saying, would you be willing to trade him and how much would it take? Yeah, and they say no, but you call back and they say, well, we are willing to do. You know what I'm saying, like, Yeah, they call all the time. Because Tom Brady's getting old. There's a chancell move Aaron all these guys, right, everyone's got a price and they're gonna and especially for like an older asset like Mike Evans. I'm sure they field trade talks with him all the time, but they want to keep him.
Speaker 2: So it's just something happens. And I think it's a.
Speaker 1: Testament to Adam Peters and the whole front office really, you know, Lance Newmark, all those guys up there, that they're able to kind of identify these decisions and then get a package that like works. Let's just review the trade details real quick. So Washington receives Tunsil and a twenty twenty four fourth round pick. Houston receives a twenty twenty five third round pick. Ye I misread that. So it's a twenty twenty five fourth round pick right the upcoming draft, yep. And then He's from receives a twenty twenty five third round pick, a twenty twenty five seventh round pick, a twenty twenty six second round pick and a twenty twenty six fourth round pick. And so what this This shows me a couple of things. One that's really good trade value for twenty twenty five amazing trade value. So basically you're getting Laramie Tunsol for what amounts to a third round pick. Yea, because you're getting a fourth round pick back.
Speaker 3: Right, swam basically a pick swat.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right.
Speaker 1: So it's a it's a why and I would take that every single time. I also think you mortgage from twenty twenty six draft capital. And this is just me, just a guy kind of on the couch observing it. And you can go higher with your second round pick, you can go higher with your fourth round pick because we need draft assets this year.
Speaker 2: Ye And then next year we're going.
Speaker 6: To always do that. You know, next year you can always kind of get more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're gonna get we're gonna get compicks, we're gonna leave, we're gonna get opportunities to kind of the people are gonna sign up their places, right. And so I look at this and I say to myself, that's smart because we know we needed five six picks this year, right now to make this roster better, put the tomatoes and the lettuce on it, and then next year we can problem solve that with trades of our own complex. Guys leaving that are going to resign other places, because as we get better, that's gonna happen more often.
Speaker 2: Coaches are gonna leave, right.
Speaker 1: We get conflicts for that too, so we'll be able to recuperate some of that draft capital.
Speaker 7: And you're not going to find a pro bowld left tackle. I'm sorry. I love Will Campbell one of the best alignment in his draft.
Speaker 3: It ain't no guaranteed he a pro bowler.
Speaker 2: There's no I mean, there's not even guarante's gonna pay tackle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like they saying that the kangaroo arms and his might move him to guard. So all I'm saying is I don't care.
Speaker 7: I love draft capital, I love young young players, but a guarantee commodity it left tackle. Like, they don't trade left tackles and left tackles don't usually.
Speaker 2: Hit free agency.
Speaker 7: So this is the football guys shining on us for what happened with Trent Wick. Right, Let's be honest, them saying, you know what, since y'all gave for the nine Ers Trent for barely nothing, and he's been a super All Pro since he got there. Here go Larry M. Tounson to make sure Jedi five stays up.
Speaker 8: I want I wonder how that and I know we ain't worried about them and what they got going on, but I want to do that, do that effect what they have in their young quarterback and just c J scrap just knowing what he how much potential he showed the first year. Yeah, and then last year was off year, but it was it wasn't It wasn't his fault. I guess you can say, or it may have been as for a little bit they say he held on the ball a little bit more he had.
Speaker 7: They'll try to replace the tackle, maybe draft.
Speaker 1: The guy they're gonna be always interested just Tightus Howard their right tackle to the left tackle.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then they had a rookie second round pick this year that played a lot for him. And so the one thing this is something that fans maybe don't understand, but it's important to understand this. Your offensive line coach is your third coordinator, fourth coordinator, right, Yeah, and when the offensive line struggles that it's struggled in Houston.
Speaker 2: Last year, that guy the OC.
Speaker 1: They're not doing a good job insulating that group, having a protection plan. Like that's really what that is about to me, because they're not passing off stunts. They're not handling targets well like in protection and that was more of the issue. You can't pass off a simple et stunt. And it's week ten, like.
Speaker 2: This coach, something's wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, this coach and so like, I think he's gonna laraim, he's gonna get some heat from that, like as him being responsible for that, and people are worried about TJ Straut. I think you get a better coach in there, clean up the offensive plan a little bit, and I think you're in a much better spot. So but yeah, Laramie Tunsseel, I think, like you said, Redd, I was trying to think about to see that. I think he's a top five offensive lineman still in the NFL, no doubt, specifically tackle. So I mean you go Trent, you go Wurfs, you go Johnson, you go Mylatta, and you go the kid up in Detroit, what's his name, the right tackle.
Speaker 3: Uh Peanuts?
Speaker 1: Yeah, sool, And then I think you're right there, So six, I think that's Tunsle. And to get a guy like that, which teams don't give up, there's a couple of things teams don't give up in free in free agency, good head rushers, good tackles.
Speaker 2: Good quarterbacks.
Speaker 1: Like it's just never gonna happen, So you gotta find different ways of getting it. Obviously, the draft is one way, and like Fred said, the draft this year with offensive lines a little bit mixed, especially at twenty nine, So.
Speaker 2: Let's ensure that we take care of that resource.
Speaker 1: Let's just bump Brandon Coleman wherever he's gotta go, and we got the best starting five on the field.
Speaker 2: And I don't know, man, it just seems like.
Speaker 7: In front of Piecks that we gave Listen, I wouldn't have been mad if we gave up a first.
Speaker 3: I still think he exceeded the value. But to keep that though, no, no, no, that is what I'm saying to me.
Speaker 7: To keep your first while getting Laramie Tossel and Deebo Samuels in the same free agent period in Trey period, that's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: It is unbelievable.
Speaker 1: And you got anything say about Lear, I mean this is the thing that you're looking for right with a young quarterback offensive lineman. Let's get that thing all settled up and be ready to rock Hi.
Speaker 7: Around un coffee at the tack. Listen, he's a big dude, man, he's a big dude. He's a big old man.
Speaker 1: And I played with him when I was in Houston. So twenty nineteen we shared a locker or lockers right next to mine. I will say, a very nice person. I enjoyed my.
Speaker 6: Time you least year nineteen twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: Damn, And yeah, young, my back isn't thrown out.
Speaker 3: I've been saying I can't wait till you on the ground the Wigan.
Speaker 8: And you're just like I told you, you ain't gonna be. You ain't gonna get the same as him. Stuff habits to town free. That's his payback.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So let's talk about so in addition to the Laramie thing, which is absolutely enormous, we got obviously, we talked about the defensive kind of resurgence renaissance, how that places you in a good position for the draft. We also re signed a lot of our own pieces, and I think this is also important to Fred's initial point you want to make sure the scaffolding is there from a free agency standpoint, right, and you also want to make.
Speaker 2: Sure you got some depth. So let's talk through some stuff.
Speaker 1: Obviously, we got Bobby Wagner back, Marcus Marioder, and zach Ertz, and let's talk about those three guys real quick, because I really think those guys are important for turiass one his leadership.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Two is hell what they do for.
Speaker 6: Jadon and Daniels, Yeah, a whole lot.
Speaker 7: I been say, Bobby literally teaching him how to see through defenses at practice. You might have wear a card Marcus Mariota Yoda himself because.
Speaker 3: He's been in there.
Speaker 7: He's been in his ear since he got here getting the young Jedi right. And zach Ertz has been his emergency blanket. So you're right, these people have layered. And don't forget about the fourth win in there. He not only gave up his number for him, but oh yeah, no, trust way, baby, you know what I'm talking about, missed Way, all right? So yeah, most definitely they helped Jay the Jedi five get to where he's at.
Speaker 8: I was listening to some folks talk talk about the other day, like how important it is to bring in veteran leadership and what some guy's role is beyond the playing field. And the first person name popped up in my head was Bobby Wait just knowing that you know, not only we wash them in the middle of games, getting guys in position like I don't know when the last time we saw that happening London with us, you know what I'm saying, And it's just like it was. It was one of those situations where it talk about a nause him how bad we were when it comes to stopping the run, but the defense as a whole wasn't.
Speaker 6: Bad, feel me.
Speaker 8: So I look at his leadership at the linebacker position for the defense, but not only for the defense in the big team meeting room as a whole, being that guy, being that voice, being the person that a young Jedi five can go to and talk to. You saw him at those basketball games, him him basically teaching him how to be a pro.
Speaker 6: So, oh man, his you can give him every year he said he wanted to come back.
Speaker 8: I'm signing them because I understand that it's more value than just what he brings on the field, and then from them to go out there and get a hundred some tackles plus that just shows you what kind of person he is and players. So I think, man, out of all these guys, I know we're going to get to all these guys, but when not the first time I heard that conversation about the veteran leadership and what role they played, Bobby Wagoner stood out man, and just seeing it live and in person in it was a joy.
Speaker 2: To watch Antenna. You were kind of that guy for a long time.
Speaker 1: And did you have anybody in your career that you were like this guy kind of did what Bobby did for the team, you know, because if those guys are like I think about Fletch for me, I think about you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Fletcher. Fletcher was that for us.
Speaker 8: Oh you know it's crazy because when I was in New York, I watched guys like Curtis Martin. Curtis Martin is the reason why while I was able to play fourteen years, I sit on that that table with him in the training room. One year he didn't practice the whole entire year and let the league in Russia. I watched this guy have two ankle springs, two high ankle springs, and he got them treated every day. And he and he set there with a with a pad and a bible and he would read his Bible and he was writing notes. I'm sitting there like so, you know, and he just picking my brain on picking his brain. I'm dealing with something soft, soft tissue. I think at the time I had either ribs or soft tissue. But he's like, yeah, tann it, you got to pay the play. He had a real smooth It was funny because I remember the guys in the locker room always you know, joke with him.
Speaker 6: Uh, they be like, man, yeah, I went to Curtis house man.
Speaker 8: I went to the Curtis house man and his butler came to the door and its like, Curtis will be with you in a minute. He's like, and he was like it was almost like, you know, I heard some maxwell playing in the background.
Speaker 6: He's a small brother, Bro, He's a smooth, good looking brother, Paul. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 8: So it's just like one of those situations, man, So when you watching them and I'm a young pup, I'm sitting there like, bro, who is pretty well you.
Speaker 6: Know what I mean?
Speaker 8: The boy, the boy got curls in his head, you know what I mean, and this thing slick, but he get out there and he run that. You say that Taylor todaytor So, but no, but he was one of those guy him.
Speaker 6: Marvin Jones and mo Lewis. We had a bunch of them.
Speaker 8: You know who else I had on the damn Vincent played play safety for Usan can't think of his name right now to save my life. But all those guys at actually kind of helped mold a young Tanner. So when when by the time I learned it and came over here, I was ready. I said, man, this team was kind of young. This team was everywhere it was guys. I walked out to get ice one day, guys was running down the hallway to my telling you.
Speaker 3: Curfew.
Speaker 6: I'm like this what they doing over you? Jumping and everything, dude was wild.
Speaker 8: But I came from New York where everything was kind of police by the players because they and we didn't have to worry about the coaches talking and telling us to be in at a certain time.
Speaker 6: Those guys are gonna make sure you was in there.
Speaker 8: So so when I got here, man, and then being just me myself personally, you know what I mean, I think I was kind of brought up that way like.
Speaker 6: I always did by my business.
Speaker 8: You know, I never want to kind of do nothing that's gonna hurt, you know what puts the food on the table from me and mins you know what I'm saying. And so when I got here it was easy for me. By the time I became that guy, it was easy for me to kind of leave. I let differently. You know, I was a guy that it was more so by example. If I need to say something, I would say something. But it was very seldom I did that because it was other guys, like you said, like a fletch er. You know, we had other guys that would speak out. But you know, if something need to be said, I give my insight. I give my two cents, but I'm gonna show you on the field. And I think a lot of the players in my room, the receiver room was able to watch me just go to work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did you man? I watching watching how you're living?
Speaker 3: Now listen to me?
Speaker 6: He wanted listening.
Speaker 5: He wanted listening from landing in the garage, laying on the floor at the grocery.
Speaker 3: All I'm saying.
Speaker 7: When I first got here, we was the old folks home of Ashburg like this team was very old, like we brought to you.
Speaker 3: So I had Darryl Green in his eighteenth year, nineteenth year, and I remember.
Speaker 7: Being in odd when I worked in my dB room because I got d I got champed, I got Daryl Green, and I'm sitting next to Darrel that I lock him.
Speaker 3: I was like, man, how do you how do you start.
Speaker 7: Eighteen years at cornerback in a row? He was like, smooth, what do you know my backup name? I looked around in the locker room and I'm like, nah, now that I think about it, so nah, I never know who your backup was.
Speaker 3: He like me needed because I don't never let him play.
Speaker 7: Now he said, the best ability is availability, and availability leads to accountability. Accountability needs to leads to you having the ability to pay your bills, so you have to understand that you cannot have one without the other. Then I had the Bruce Smiths of the world. I literally like offense, I had big Bell Cow, big Country. I had Stephen Davis over there like I had guys that I can pretty much actually Keith Mitchell in the linebacker room.
Speaker 3: I had guys everywhere.
Speaker 6: On this team.
Speaker 8: You see how bad my memory of Victor Green. Victor ain't my bad victorm man. He was a good guy too that I watched my rookie season. Man, he showed me a lot.
Speaker 3: So now they're just your c t.
Speaker 2: Get me.
Speaker 1: But yeah, so I think Bobby, I think Marcus An exactly think trust are all guys that do that. I think those tinnings are so important to get those guys back. And then you talk about guys that are gonna have probably significant roles on this team. And I was looking at John Bates and Noah Brown are guys motel right, And we talked about the importance of having a block and wire in the NFL.
Speaker 7: Now he I told you, Bates should send you a Christmas present and a thank you letter because bas just got paid for being a block and tight end in this league in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 6: And you, my friend, that guy, you are the only thing I can say about Baits. He on what timble is on the field. That boy had screws screwing.
Speaker 3: At the bottom of that shooting.
Speaker 9: Hey, I let that lookan one day in the film letting Up Joking Boy, like said six, Al's living in his ship.
Speaker 7: Budd Listen, jump base owe you a thanks of gratitude. You pay a way for guys like this, But I can't say this as a blocker tight end, he could be the best in the league.
Speaker 3: When guys go checking to base motel, they.
Speaker 7: Don't leave you check out, they don't check out because this guy knows what he's doing.
Speaker 3: And Noah Brown got everything he was.
Speaker 8: Still and for us to give him back, man, I was like, damn, they just that's just it's a little destiny, And damn that was good because you know, like I loved everything about what he brought to the teams. Besides Noah making those clutch catchers on third down across the middle wind, I don't know how people weren't covering them because I'm like, bro, we keep going through them. He was getting the most penalties than anybody when they come to at least one game every week. They was they was you know, he was getting the pass interference. So I'm I'm I thought the world about bringing him back and just watching him go down last year.
Speaker 6: We didn't even know he was hurt when he went down, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Serious injuries, So like I mean, unfortunate for him because I think no thing gets paid because of it. But man, he's a good football player.
Speaker 2: He's physically tough, block blocking, great position and what they needed the position. That's the other thing too, Like all these guys are I'm gonna say, commanders, right, what do you say, core commanders?
Speaker 3: Core commanders?
Speaker 1: Yeah, core commanders, Like that's what they are. And I think, like Noah, after watching him, like just how it's It's in the tape, man, you watch his tape.
Speaker 2: That's how he is.
Speaker 1: So it's great to get him back and then we get some nice depth pieces on the defensive side of the football. Noig Monogany, I think is a huge resigning kind of quiet sneakily there. And then Sheldon Day and Leland Ferrell all coming back.
Speaker 7: Sheldon Day every time they got on their feet, it was shald In today, right because he played some football.
Speaker 6: So how would you do it? That number one gotta come up?
Speaker 7: Then he gonna they're gonna be a negotiation.
Speaker 2: You gotta be right, just resigned him. So I'm not sure you're give him back the same number.
Speaker 3: I've been saying.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: I don't know because because the trade for Debo I think went through before we resigned anything.
Speaker 8: He ain't had a numberstand No, you ain't on the roster, roster money, roster, Nah, coche.
Speaker 6: We can't do it like that.
Speaker 7: If I were debo time he was showing up, I be hey, I'm demo samuels.
Speaker 3: On. It was nothing you're gonna wear next year. I hear two opens in the army. I can put that too off, he.
Speaker 6: Put it to.
Speaker 8: But I think you coach Messon's pill because that's that's one of them days where you know, that's the hitting.
Speaker 3: Money that they on the count for.
Speaker 7: No, I'm kind of hot right now because I didn't have great negotiation like that was the Bible gonna because I ain't coming in no.
Speaker 6: Shorter than fifty thousand, what I'm saying, at.
Speaker 2: Least for that, and he was playing better than nineteen though I don't.
Speaker 3: Got nothing to do with it.
Speaker 6: He wants ye don't want one. But I'm just saying, you know, yeah.
Speaker 3: So you right? Is it?
Speaker 7: It could come up in a couple of times, like it's a couple of players, like numbers might come up in and be a thing right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but anyway, I'm really happy to know what's back. I thought he did a great job playing Nicol obviously like up and down, but I thought, you know, played physically, played great and coverage.
Speaker 2: And was a really nice fine and he was an asset.
Speaker 1: And when you add Jonathan Jones to that secondary group with a lot more and Mike Sanders.
Speaker 7: Peeping down to the right slot, slotting everybody into the right slot between the championship roster and a good rosta and the championship roster, everybody slotted correctly.
Speaker 1: And I think when you look at Cleveland Ferrell kind of the same thing, like him and Dietrich wise are probably going to be competing for snaps.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's good, that's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't want Cleveland playing a tonguecause of the injury history there. He's got that bump knee.
Speaker 1: But good player, solid player, and solid player. And then obviously you mentioned Sheldon Day and the depth that he provides. So it's great having those guys. And then the offensive sw of the football. We got Jerry mcnichos back who I am so excited about, kJ Osborne, Michael Dieter and Trent Scott, and that kind of rounds out the dump.
Speaker 7: Keep forgetting Tris Scott caught the first Testdown. Yeah, from old Jedi five. That's gonna be a trivia five years from now that everybody gets wrong, no doubt. Who cut the Terry McCord who caught the first testdowns, Jane day Teer McLain, Noah Brown gonna be on that list. Yeah, and being they gonna see the word Trent and Scott, No Pikey, I can't wait.
Speaker 2: That's awesome man.
Speaker 1: And so yeah, I mean Jeremy McNichols talk about another guy that maybe just get enough credit for the attitude that he brings in the effort, the physical play style. And good for him too, man, Like I remember when I was with him in San Francisco, like he was you'd just been traded.
Speaker 2: From Tampa Bay.
Speaker 3: Like just keep forgetting how young you are?
Speaker 2: I'm young, right?
Speaker 3: Could you play with some of these guys and they're just unbelievable.
Speaker 1: It's crazy, Yeah, But it's crazy for me because I knew him when he was a rookie and that was in You're like nine, Yeah, so you're like, oh, yeah, time goes goes. It's obviously Trent Scott for that offensive line back death huge show. Really just I think a really tremendous job by out of here in the front office.
Speaker 2: In free agency, feeling out the roster, man, filling out the roster.
Speaker 1: Re signed everybody man, And you know, it feels like they've kind of positioned themselves both of the drafts, both of that third round for agency.
Speaker 3: And if I can say anything about this group that they bringing in, just.
Speaker 7: Attitude, like they all visual attitude, guys like I'm fining and flick we upon you attitude.
Speaker 3: They brought an attitude.
Speaker 8: I mean, they're gonna go out there and get the guys that fit what they're doing. So that's another thing too that stands out to me. We've been here, man, we was bringing guys in that we was like, so what are you gonna do for us? I mean, guys didn't even fit the skin.
Speaker 6: Didn't even fit the skin. You know, it's a.
Speaker 8: Joy's why I say, Man, you don't understand how being able to sit back and watch it now and see somebody do it right, you know what I mean? Because you really know, like a lot of us don't really dive that deep into what's going on outside of what we do.
Speaker 6: And that was me care less about.
Speaker 8: You know, I'm talking about this the other guys in the building, who's doing something outside of what I have to do my job. I'm pretty sure you you got one of the mind. You thinking about the damn cook.
Speaker 6: Made you bother everybody and anybody. But I personally came here and worked and went home. You see what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I came to work.
Speaker 6: I came with my bearing.
Speaker 8: Shoes on, my loan Jordan Jersey shorts and a hoodie, and I was in and out and do rag on.
Speaker 6: That's how it came to work.
Speaker 8: You know, you you play with me, But I never thought about what it took for those guys to go in there and bring the guy to figure out the saw how many guys he brought in, And you be wondering why, Like god, we just playing a hundred million don't fit our defense, you.
Speaker 6: Know what I mean? Like I used to sit there and ask myself.
Speaker 7: Well, I ain't gonna beild a defense around if you're paying we brought him in for if he on the field.
Speaker 8: So now seeing the moves being made the first couple of years of having a real GM here, man, it's just it just shows you, man, like this is why the other teams are successful. This is why the Robins been where they've been at for years. They had somebody that position that was able to just say, this is what I do. I know how to go out there and pick the talent, and you guys got to coach them up.
Speaker 1: I think that's a good way to end the show. Tanner, great job. Please make sure you liking to subscribe wherever you get your podcasts. As always, we appreciate the comments and uh, that's it.