Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Our two.
Speaker 2: On this Monday, we'll talk some hoops. Jay billis on loan from the Mothership, will stop by. You can be part of our Celebrity Bracket Challenge. It's powered by Netsuitet and it's live right now Foxsports Radio dot Com. Stat of the Day is always brought to you by Panini America, the official trading card. So the Dan Patrick Show first hour, we talked a lot about the Bears sending Justin Fields to the Steelers. I pointed out that Justin Fields has better MVP odds than Russell Wilson does. By far Russ's chances for an MVP plus twelve thousand, Justin Fields is plus five thousand, the same as the quarterback who the Bears are probably taking, Caleb Williams. All right, so jail join us. We'll check in with the Steelers coming up in an hour from now. Let's pull question for hour two. Seton well, kind to.
Speaker 3: Find the right words for this one, because right now, one of the big storylines coming out of Sunday is that the tournament seating is getting a lot of criticism. Yes, so, would you rather have tournament. The seting priority be essentially ranking the team's best to worst, or would you rather them play with it a bit for the best matchups along the way.
Speaker 4: I like the best matchups, even if.
Speaker 3: It means, say, if you're Iowa State, you kind of got screwed.
Speaker 2: Well, they know if they're going to have them as a number one seed, that's different.
Speaker 4: Then we're going to manipulate.
Speaker 2: I think Texas A and M plays Nebraska in both the men's and women's tournament. Now, keep this in mind, Nebraska's athletic director just left what school do you think he went to Texas A and M. Trev Alberts, former college player at Nebraska, played a little bit in the NFL. He was the athletic director at Nebraska. Now he's going to Texas A and M. Texas A and M and Nebraska in the men's in women's tournaments are playing one another. But Iowa stayed. I thought I was stay good enough to be a number one seed. That was a little bit surprising. Yeah, Poe, I.
Speaker 5: Know we've had people on before who worked for the committee who said that one of their rationales in setting up the tournament is matchups. Matchups that people talk about in storylines. You asked one of the people years ago, and you've talked about this. When Bob Knight went to Texas Tech, they made sure that there was a chance that Texas Tech would face Indiana in round two of the NCAA tournament. So that was not a blind draw, that's a matchup draw.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I don't I think manipulating the seeds though, I have a problem with that. If I was stayed earned it, then put I was stayed in there as a number, you know, one of the number one seeds. But as far as hey here's potential matchups here, we're going to do that. I believe the you know, the women's bracket, they won LSU and Iowa to play, and they're going to be on a collision course.
Speaker 4: They're in the same bracket. I was surprised at that.
Speaker 2: I thought maybe you could wait until maybe the Elite eight, maybe a final four. But like I would have had Iowa face USC because I love the Juju Watkins is the next star in women's college basketball. She already is a star, but that would have been fun to have the outgoing scoring champ with Juju Watkins coming in at USC. But I also want to see LSU in South Carolina. No love loss there, and then I'd like to see either Iowa against LSU, Iowa against South Carolina. Those are kind of fun matchups. There also the NIT. The NIT used to be the tournament. That's a long time ago. It was in the sixties, fifties and sixties. It was certainly the tournament to be in. Then the NCAA came in and then March Madness happened. It exploded, and the NIT struggled to survive. And I always thought, if we didn't make the tournament one of the sixty eight best teams and I wanted to already get a head start for next year, than I would play in the n IT because it allows us to continue to practice. We're gonna play games. Maybe we get a chance to play for a championship. Okay, it's not the NCAA and it's the NIT.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: Tom Crean, former coach now on analyst for the Mothership, had this to say about the schools that don't want to play in the NIT.
Speaker 6: There's no question about it. I would want to coach, I would want to develop my team. You've got bigger staffs than you've ever had. There's plenty of time for the portal, there's plenty of time to talk to recruits, there's plenty of time to negotiate nil deals. There's not plenty of time for guys to continue to play that may never get to play again. And that, to me is absolutely ridiculous. It's each coach is choice. I get it, but you take away a chance to play the games.
Speaker 7: To put your team on the floor. Let them opt out?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 7: The bullseason has it all the time. Let it happen. Who cares?
Speaker 6: Give your players and coaches a chance to keep coaching and playing, and don't short change.
Speaker 7: If I got want to play, go sit out. If a coach doesn't want to coach, go recruit.
Speaker 6: But there's got to be enough people to put five, six, seven people on the floor and go play.
Speaker 7: Makes absolutely zero sense to me.
Speaker 8: All right.
Speaker 2: That's Tom Crean, former head coach and certainly passionate about this. So far, I think there's seven schools that have turned the opportunity down. Pittsburgh is one, Saint John's is one. You also have Memphis, Ole, miss Oklahoma, Indiana, Syracuse. They already said they weren't going to play in the n we have players who don't want to play in bowl games. This is almost that version of it that, hey, we don't want to play in this game. It's not important enough. But I always thought, if I'm a coach and I can get playing time for some of my kids who are going to be playing for me next year, then why not take advantage of that? And you're gonna have This is the feeling I got that some of these coaches maybe covered for their players because the players didn't want to play. You know, Rick Patino, he talked about not playing in the n I T And I think he was trying to cover up for his his players because it felt Rick would coach right now. He'd go out in our field house here, he'd coach a three on three game, He'd coach anywhere. Hey, coach, we got the championship game of the au A. A, yeah, I'll be there.
Speaker 7: What time?
Speaker 2: He loves to coach. You got a chance to play in the garden. You're Saint John's, you're still building that program. Rick would want to coach. He would, and his players maybe didn't want to, and sometimes you have to listen to them. But I would try to use that you get more practice time. Maybe you get a player too who's going to be a star for you, potential star, and you get a chance to have a bigger, better opportunity there.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Mark, do you think for some of those programs it's a program entitlement? Like where's Syracuse? We're too good?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Okay, yes, yeah.
Speaker 2: Didn't Notre Dame turn down the Pinstripe Bowl. Yeah, a couple of years ago they're like, nah, North Carolina turned down the NIT I think a couple of years ago, Syracuse, Saint John's, Pittsburgh they're like, no, we should be in the tournament. And I think that's the hard part to get over because but they all had their chances. Seaton Hall had their chance, Saint John's had a chance, Pittsburgh had a chance. They all had a chance to be able to play. It's sixty eight schools. You didn't make it, all right, you can still play? Hey, do you want to still play basketball? That's what is the surprising part of this, And it's maybe you know, the kids say no, we don't want to play anymore, okay, But it feels like Rick Pattino was saying, Hey, you know what, we're gonna get ready for next season. Okay, getting ready for next season would be we can still practice because now they can't now their season's over.
Speaker 4: Yes, Tod, what are you arrogant and too good about?
Speaker 10: You know maybe yesteryear, but you didn't make the tournament, so you're obviously not too good. You didn't make the tournament. And I think it's a no lose proposition other than the fact that it looks arrogant to turn down the NIT. If you play well and you destroy everybody, then you're proving to everybody you played with a chip on your shoulder. We should have been in the tournament. If you lose, then that proves even more that you didn't belong in the NCA tournament. If you bow out of the n H.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we see teams college football teams when they play in bowl games and they're not really into it and then they lose, I can't say, well, that shows that they weren't that good. I mean, you have to want to play like you truly want to play and want to win a championship. It's the NIT. You're playing in New York Madison Square Garden. Eventually that has value to it. And another case, you know, opportunity to showcase your Talentshi, if you want to.
Speaker 4: Play in the NBA.
Speaker 3: Yeah, seed, What if the NIT winner was guaranteed a spot next year in the tournament, in the NCAA tournament.
Speaker 2: I don't think the NCAA cares about the NIT. I don't, you know, because they kind of coexist. But the nc DOUBLEA is really trying to put the NIT out of business. I mean, if they go to ninety six teams, they're really saying, NIT, thanks for the memories.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Paul Rick Patino added that one of the reasons they passed on the n IT bid is to focus on the transfer portal because the season is over for them and because they need seven or eight new players for next season and they have to get to work on recruiting and.
Speaker 7: Hitting the point.
Speaker 5: M Okay, we say to those guys, have a lot of play in the n IT because they're not to be jettisoned.
Speaker 4: We say, good morning.
Speaker 2: If you're watching on Peacock, our streaming partner, our radio affiliates around the country.
Speaker 4: Poll question for hour two Seaton.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm gonna put up the one about seating. Which you'd rather have it based on, like resume or matchups?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 4: Marvin.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and they should probably blame schools like NC State, who weren't even bubble teams. They were going to the n and they ended up winning their conference champion. So I definitely hurt a lot of the bubble teams.
Speaker 2: There were probably three or four conference champions that really mess things up for a couple of schools.
Speaker 3: Yes, this is probably a really dumb question, but I asked those a lot.
Speaker 4: But aren't the.
Speaker 3: NIT and the NCAA tournament all run by the same people. They're both NCAA tournaments.
Speaker 2: Yes, but the NCAA really cares about March madness because they can make a lot of money.
Speaker 4: I'll just say it.
Speaker 3: I mean, it wouldn't be that much of a stretch to get them to like, hey, what if we try to figure this out together and instead of adding going to ninety six teams, we just make the n a little more valuable or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think that's going to happen.
Speaker 5: Easy with a thoughtful analysis.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sorry, you're right, it makes way more sense.
Speaker 4: Easy with the measures.
Speaker 3: I'm sure they are battling it out with each other to like bankrupt.
Speaker 4: Easy with the measured comments. Yeah, yeah, my bad. Yeah, all right.
Speaker 2: Let me get some phone calls in here. Jay Billis will join us, coming up. Let me see Joey and Minnesota. Hi, Joey, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 11: Hey back again this Monday. Dan, happy to be here. Tyler hooked me up, drove my daughter to the parade this weekend. Got to meet all you boys, get some photos, and just had a blast.
Speaker 8: I got a couple bests besides that. Scotty Scheffler.
Speaker 11: Man, this guy is out of this world. He's won ten million dollars already this year. I'd love for you guys to do a career salary so we can sweeze one of those in. That's pretty much all I got. I missed Marvin this weekend.
Speaker 12: I did not miss Todd.
Speaker 4: No, okay, I saw Joey.
Speaker 2: He was outside the baseball park as we ended the parade there. Scotty Scheffler. Since January first, at twenty twenty two fifty one tournaments, nine wins, thirty four top tens, twenty two top threes, he's earned forty six million dollars, and over those fifty one starts, he's five hundred and forty under far.
Speaker 8: It's out of the day start of the day.
Speaker 7: Start of the day, Scota daay, start of day, Start of the day, Start of the day.
Speaker 2: By the way, Rory McElroy can take a little bit of credit for Scotti Scheffler because he turned him onto this mallet putter that he's been using and he has been crushing. He made nine straight one putts, went sixteen of sixteen on putts inside fifteen feet and he goes back to back Arnold Palmer in the Players Championship. All right, uh, Rocky in New Mexico. Hi, rock what's on your mind today?
Speaker 12: How you doing? DP?
Speaker 7: Great?
Speaker 12: All right? First time long time five eight two hundo and a hand size of six point five. All right. So, jan I sadly wanted to talk about your retirement. You know, we all understand. Yeah, we all understand that you're gonna You're gonna be done in three to four years. You're gonna hang it up now. I wanted to make a suggestion to you guys. I think what you guys should do when you leave Dan is create a spinoff show. Now, think about it. That's never been done before. If you guys can get Ross Tucker to carry the torch. The intro to the new show can be like from the creators of The Dan Patrick Show, Ross Tucker and the Dan at or something like that. Let me know what you guys think.
Speaker 4: All right, well, thank you, Rocky, Rocky looking out for you guys.
Speaker 2: Do you think you guys could work with Ross Tucker every single day?
Speaker 4: Todd, do you think you could?
Speaker 12: I love Ross absolutely?
Speaker 4: Okay, Marvin, of course, Okay, Paul, he is easy to work with. Okay, he's great. He's a great guy.
Speaker 5: He's just like Tyler Perry Presents. Oh okay, I like that under the same umbrella.
Speaker 3: Medea, yeah, media goes to the.
Speaker 4: Movies media Halloween.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yes, so Dan Patrick's Ross Tucker Show, that's what it's gonna be called. Or a Dan Patrick joint like Spike Lee Patrick joint.
Speaker 2: Okay, Jim in South Carolina? Hi, Jim, what's on your mind?
Speaker 12: Hey? Dan today?
Speaker 4: Great? Jim?
Speaker 12: All right, Well, I got a best and the worst for you.
Speaker 8: Hey.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 13: While start was the worst, that was North Carolina blowing the APC tight home Bridle as the state. However, the best was that.
Speaker 4: A Jim Jim Jim, are you at work?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Okay, you guys want to guess where Jim works Pauline.
Speaker 5: I'm guessing he's in the plumbing industry.
Speaker 4: Okay, Todd, Yeah, it did have a flushing kind of sound.
Speaker 3: Okay, it did sound like a toilet to me. Yeah, I think it was actually a car going by, car going by. All right, Marvin, what's Jim do for a living?
Speaker 7: He's an electrician?
Speaker 4: Electrician? Okay, Jim, I'm a truck driver.
Speaker 13: I'm actually in my truck, but I'm having used.
Speaker 7: My blue suit.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, Well.
Speaker 13: Anyway, Well, my best one weekend is North Carolina rebounty for last year's the Bottle and not only making the tournament but being a number one seed, which I'm not sure has ever been done before. Maybe Paulie would like to research.
Speaker 12: That and that would be a semi stat of the day.
Speaker 4: Okay, what are we researching?
Speaker 9: I think he said North Carolina not making the tournament then being in number one seed the next season, I think.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, that's pretty amazing the disaster last year to where they are this year.
Speaker 10: Yes, yes, sneaky truck driver with a semi stat of the.
Speaker 7: Bloop bloop job I had.
Speaker 2: I don't think he realized that semi stat of the day brought to you by Panini America. The official trading cards Dan Patrick show Jim good call by Utah. Now Jim in California. How can I help you?
Speaker 1: Jim?
Speaker 14: Thanks for taking my call. It's I'm in Plied del Ray first time long time, six one two hundred nine and a half inches, San Diego State. I have a stat of the day. March eighteenth, nineteen sixty eight, Will Chamberlain recorded the first and only unofficial quintuple double. He had fifty three points, thirty two rebounds, fourteen assists, twenty four blocks, and eleven steals.
Speaker 4: I thank Jim, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Was that the Was that a quadruple or a Quinn couple that he was talking about?
Speaker 4: Double Dodd? Did you pick up on that too? He Quinn Tupple.
Speaker 2: So the music got him there. He ran out of ran out of time. Maybe we'll research that now.
Speaker 7: What is it?
Speaker 2: March eighth, nineteen sixty eight with Will Chamberlain. March eighteenth? Is that what it was?
Speaker 8: Marv?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 2: So today, by the way, I think I celebrated Saint Patty's Day Friday and Saturday and Sunday. I didn't realize that Sunday was Saint Patty's day until I walked by a pub and all of a sudden, I got friends in there, and they're like, come on in.
Speaker 4: I go, what are you guys doing. I go to Saint Patty's Day.
Speaker 3: I go, Oh, my liver's already so sore.
Speaker 2: I already went. I already went to Minneapolis Saint Paul. I already celebrated Friday and Saturday. By the way, when you go out with guys who drink for a living, keeper's heart, they're good at what they do. They yeah, are veterans, Yes they are. That's why Dylan had a great time, because he's he could work for a liquor company. All right, let me take a break. Jay Billis will join us. Coming up next, more phone calls as well. We'll check in with the Pittsburgh Steelers in an hour from now. Back after this Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 15: Paulli Fosco Here with Tony Fusco, you know, as the host of the number one rated Paully and Tony Fusco Show.
Speaker 1: We get tons and tons of fan mail every day.
Speaker 4: Piles of it.
Speaker 6: In fact, Tony, why don't you open up one of those letters right now and read what's inside?
Speaker 15: Hey, listen to this, Dear Paulie and Tony, your sports takes the dumbest and most terribly not that. Wait, open this other one, DEEA, Paulie and Tony, you suck more than anyone. Wait, try this one, Dear Paulie and Tony, you guys are the absolute best.
Speaker 4: There you go, coming up with the stupidest take.
Speaker 1: Forget it. Just listen to the Paully and Tony Fusco Show on the iHeart Radio app, app podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we had a caller who told us.
Speaker 2: On March eighteenth, nineteen sixty eight, Will Chamberlain recorded a quintuple double fifty three points, thirty two rebounds, fourteen assists, twenty four blocks, eleven steals. He's believed to be the only player to have ever achieved the elusive quintuple double. Why is it that we value and honor Babe Ruth stats but not Wilt Chamberlain's. It just feels like, yeah, but that was Wilt, whereas Babe Ruth were like man he won nearly one hundred games pitching and hit seven hundred and fourteen. Wilt just feels like, Yeah, that wasn't real. But imagine twenty four blocks in a game. I don't know when they started with keeping stats like steals.
Speaker 4: I think was in the early eighties.
Speaker 2: I don't know about blocks, but it's kind of like sacks in the NFL. I don't know how many block shots Bill Russell and Wil Chamberlain actually had, but we're watching victor Ian Bayama. I think he had seven blocks in the game yesterday.
Speaker 5: Yes, Palling block shots became an official NBA stat for the seventy three seventy four season, the first year Wilt Chamberlain was out of basketball.
Speaker 2: Mmm coincidence. He was a defensive minded guy back then later in his career with the Lakers. Jay billis ESPN college basketball analyst. He was on the call for NC State the ACC Conference title game over North Carolina. He joins us on the program, how many career blocks do you think you had?
Speaker 8: A duke? Me blocking somebody else's shot or my shot.
Speaker 4: Well blocked?
Speaker 8: I said, I promise you I set a record.
Speaker 4: Well, you were an undersized center though.
Speaker 8: Yeah, undersized, under athletic, under everything.
Speaker 4: Were you underestimated though?
Speaker 8: Uh yeah, probably? Well, look I underestimate myself.
Speaker 4: What do you have, Paulie?
Speaker 5: In four years at Duke, I have j Billis with thirty seven career blocks.
Speaker 2: Wow, they didn't keep the stat of how many times his shot was blocked.
Speaker 4: Now I'm looking for it.
Speaker 8: Okay, it was more than that. Yeah, it was more than that. But I was a position defender, Dan. I was like the cover corner. They didn't grow towards, so I didn't have to block a lot of shots. Okay, you were like a Darrell Reevis. Nobody was going in your direction, no question, I mean it was I got my work done early.
Speaker 4: As they said, Billis island there all right.
Speaker 2: So when you first saw the bracket, the first thing that jumped down was what that Yukon had.
Speaker 8: A really difficult bracket and there are a ton of conference champions in their bracket. I still think they're the best team and they'll come out of there. And I thought Purdue had the easiest route for a number one seeds. It's set up pretty well for them to get out of there. But it's not like they don't have challenges everybody has challengers, but they're not facing a team that can uptempple them and turn them over, which I think is one of the problems that they may face.
Speaker 2: Felt like the reaction was the seating that certain schools conferences that may be too high too low. Your thoughts on any objections there, Yeah.
Speaker 8: I think there were a few seating issues, but some of it had to do with I'm sure their bracketing principles. I mean I thought, I kind of think Dan when they say, well, you know, the Yukon region, the East region, Yukon chose to be in that region, and then we put everybody else in there based upon geography the closest teams to that. And you know the first thing I think of this, Wait a minute, USC and UCLA are the big ten. Now they got to flat a record for regular seat in the game, and you're worried about geography for an NCAA tournament game. You know, that doesn't make any sense to me. I think you seed it according to the best teams, and you balance it as well as you can. You don't want to be insensitive to travel. You want to send you know, somebody out across country for no reason. When they're the same as somebody else. But I tend to think, just do it on a strict s curve and put them in the bracket. Let's play this for the national championship, not to be you know, so that some fans have a bus drip.
Speaker 2: Any issue with setting up matchups? You know, I always think of Texas Tech in Indiana when Bob Knight was at Texas Tech, like the potential for an interesting matchup. Any issues with the committee doing that.
Speaker 8: They say that they don't do it. I have a hard time believing that there are way too many coincidences that occur. There's nothing they can do about. You know, if you know Rick Barnes is going to beat up with Texas and the Sweet sixteen or the Elite eight, yeah you can't. I can't deal with that. But when you when they're on a collision course in the second round, or you know, things come up in the first round, you know they had a choice there.
Speaker 4: How many teams can realistic, realistically win it all?
Speaker 8: You know? I haven't really done that sort of thing this year because it was such a weird year. Usually it's around eight and I after looking at it, I think it's about that you know somebody else can sneak in there. There's a difference, Dan, I think in getting to a final four and winning a national championship. You know, when you get put into a regent with the Easter or Midwest, whatever, seventy five percent of the best teams in the tournament are not in your region, So if somebody falls down in your way, a lot of things can happen. But once you get to the final four, you know you're playing higher seeded, really good teams most of the time, and that's why we most often see the highest seeded teams win these things.
Speaker 2: Has Danny Hurley become the face of college basketball? Men's college basketball?
Speaker 8: He's getting there. He's the real deal. He's really an outstanding coach, and he's fun like he's he's kind of old school and how tough he is and demanding in practice and with his team. But then he's a normal joe off the court, and he's got these bizarre superstitions that are bordering on needing therapy, you know, like the underwear and socks and you know, wearing the hat that he wore last year before the first round, stuff like that. My favorite one was I don't know what they call these things. It's like these you're suspended. We were suspending some kind of liquid I think, and they closed it closed the it's almost like a coffin. You know, you're in there. What do it call sensory deprivation. Yeah, And he went in one of those things, and he thought it was going to be for an hour, and his staff had made the appointment for two hours. So after an hour, he thought he was trapped in there. And that would have been a good one to see Danny Hurley trying to fight his way out of that thing thinking he was trapped.
Speaker 2: He's Jay Bills, ESPN College Basketball analyst. We just noticed that the transfer portal is open in college basketball.
Speaker 4: Why why now? Why are they opening it while the tournament's going.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's just sort of their timing for the way some of these school calendars work the way I understand it.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 8: Look, the transfer portal overall is I think a good idea, but they could certainly regulate it better and have the dates work out a little better. I mean, I think you'll hear most coaches say that as soon as the season ends, they're busier than they were during the season. Because of the transfer portal, they're having to sift through and call a million people and evaluate players and all that stuff because that's become the new recruiting model, and it's impacted their high school recruiting. You're not seeing high school recruits valued as highly as they were five years ago. But that's just the nature of the business now. The NCAA put the rule in and they're having to live with it.
Speaker 2: Should we cap the number of years you can be eligible to play college basketball?
Speaker 8: Well, they do. It's basically you have you have four years, but they do make exceptions when you have like a catastrophic injury or illness or something like that. And then we've had over the last several years this extra COVID year, so you're seeing that. That's really the difference in seeing guys come back. I don't think you would have seen as many guys as many players stay and play if the COVID year and NIL didn't overlap. Like, there are a number of players going, why shouldn't I come back. I'm making a lot of money, and if I go into the into the NBA process, you know, maybe they put me in the G League or I have to go overseas or something like that. It may be better for them to go ahead and say so we're the nil. We've seen retention of players, which I can't imagine isn't a good thing for the NCAA. They get another year of service out of the players, even longer than that in some cases, and the players are getting more education, which they say they're about. So how can anybody complain about that?
Speaker 2: Trying to figure out Zach Edie that being the biggest big man in the tournament, but it's still about guard play, you know, Like, how do you assess I mean normally that that'd be the guy where you go, they got the big man, But I don't know, is it that much of a bonus for Purdue over everybody else?
Speaker 8: Well, I think you could have said that back in the day when big guys were more a focal point of the game. You know, Ralph Sampson played four years at Virginia and never won a title because the guys around him didn't hit shots when when they needed to. And Joe Barry Carroll was a great big guy at Purdue. We can go on and on about it. Now now UCLA won with big guys. Other team golling with big guys doesn't mean you can't win with it. But the game's changed, as you know, and you don't see many guys seven to four and that dominant. But Purdue has had a couple of problems in the last few years. Their guards. Last year refreshment, and they weren't the most athletic team around Edie. Edie was dominant against Barley Dickinson, but his teammates just didn't make shots. I don't think they're going to be subject to the same kind of upset this year, but they could get eat There's no question that somebody could clip them. And they could very well play Tennessee again. They played earlier this year and Purdue one in Maui. But I still think Purdue is a is a prohibited favorite to come out of that region.
Speaker 2: You've got some schools, some big name schools that are not going to compete in the n T you know, Saint John's and pitt and Syracuse. I always thought that that would help you for the following year. Get some of your younger players. They get an opportunity, and I don't know if these kids are just saying, look, we don't want to play in the n it Your thoughts on some of these coaches having to come out and say, look, we're preparing, you know, Rick Patina, we're preparing for next year.
Speaker 8: I don't know, Dan, I mean, I know, going to the n it T is a real downer and some teams go in it and they want to prove that if they, you know, they win the n i T, like there, it's going to be a big middle finger to the n SAA Tournament selection committee. And the truth is a selection may doesn't care. I mean, they care about the process, but they don't care if you win the n I T. And there are some teams that go in then I T they're disappointed. It's the end of the year and they go in and lay an egg and it wasn't worth the effort. So it just kind of depends how the I think, how the players feel. And you know, I kind of like that if the players are being taken into consideration, you know, I kind of like that they're being listened to, Like why go through all that if if you really don't want to play it? And look, I mean, what was the last time you you remember who won the n I T. I don't remember. I don't watch it. I shouldn't say that because it's on our network, but I don't watch it. I'm I'm focused on something else. It's a it's like these bowl games, you know, like I don't care who plays in the Poland Lead either Bowl. Maybe I maybe I'd bet on it with a friend of mine because there was nothing else to do. But I'm not watching it.
Speaker 4: If I gave you an all time final four, what would come to mind?
Speaker 8: All time final as far as the best one, Yeah, seventeen was great when Villanova beat North Carolina. I wind up thinking about moments more than anything. Like it's funny, Dan, Like, I don't really know what makes a great tournament. Like some tournaments where the play is off the charts good, but we don't have as many little guys winning, or there aren't many buzzer beaters. People say, well, there's been a blot tournament. I think people kind of expect that it's going to be crazy, and if it's not crazy, then it's not that entertaining. But then you get to the final four it if you don't have recognizable names, then people don't care for it either. So I'm not sure what's great. I just love seeing great teams play and we get that just about every year, so I can't remember a bad year for the tournament. There was one year where Connecticut played Butler. I think it's twenty eleven played Butler in the final. It was probably the worst played final game ever. Nobody really seems to remember that. They just remember who wins.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I say this every year that we love the chaos and then get to the Elite eight final four. Then we went the blue bloods like, okay, that was nice. And if you do have the novelty or the Cinderella, then you want to see them go all the way and win it. Then it becomes a great story. But it'll probably be the same this year where there'll be upsets and it's crazy and madness, and then all of a sudden, you're going to have four blue bloods. Do you have a Cinderella team to keep an eye on? There are a few. I think Drake is one. I think New Mexico and Nevada are both very good teams. James Madison has a chance to pull an upset over Wisconsin. James Madison, I think they've only lost three times and beat Michigan State at Michigan State in November.
Speaker 8: But it's funny, Dan, because of all the upsets and the smaller conferences, the twelve through sixteen seeds aren't quite as powerful as they've been in other years. Maybe powerful is the wrong word, but the metrics say that they're not as big a threat. That doesn't mean individual teams like Drake out of the Missouri Valley Conference. They have Tucker Debriz who averages about twenty two a game. He's not quite as good as as Doug McDermott was at Creighton, but he's pretty damn good, and they can they can beat somebody. They're capable. McNee State is I'm not sure whether they're McNeice and now or McNeese State, but they're playing Gonzaga in the first round, and Gonzaga is still very good. They're not as good as they were the last couple of years, but McNeese can force a lot of turnovers and uh and they've got a player named Shahade Wells who can really take the ball from you. So they could be a threat. But I'm not sure. I'm seeing that many teams. But but I didn't see Saint Peter's ripping off all the games they won either you know, you just don't see you don't think of a fifteen seed, and even when you've watched them play, because sometimes they catch fire, like NC State in the uh in the a SEC tournament, I wouldn't have given you a nickel for their chance answers to win four games, let alone five. And it was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen and the most interesting thing for me in the first couple of days of the tournament are going to be is there any gas left in the tank for NC State after that? Because they're they're not only like banged up and injured, but I just can't imagine how emotionally drained. And then the NCAA gives a Thursday game they can't give a Freday.
Speaker 2: I had stephen A Smith on last hour and I said, who's the best shooter at ESPN taking away the NBA guys? And stephen A said, he's the best shooter in the building. I will give you the opportunity to answer that.
Speaker 8: You know, I am I am always interested in what sixty year old men are good at, because you know, it's so it's so like edifying for me to think that all of us are still really good at something like? Who cares? We're done? Man, I just want to make sure I can get out of this chair as soon as the interviews over without full down and hurting myself. So I'm not putting myself in any of these contests. I don't even play pickleball. I'm going to get injured playing pickleball. I want no part if that's going to affect my golf schedule. I'm not playing pickball. I don't care.
Speaker 4: See, you don't care if steven A is a better shooter than.
Speaker 8: You, No, why would I care about that. What I would care is if we're playing golf and there's money on the line, then I'd want to know how good he is. But he'd be the great guy to play against because he would go I am a plus four. That'd be fantastic.
Speaker 2: Good to talk to you. Well, we'll talk to you during the tournament. Thanks as always, Jay, Great to be with you, brother.
Speaker 8: Thank you.
Speaker 2: That's j Bill as ESPN college basketball analyst. He was on the call for NC State against North Carolina and a big surprise there that certainly was all right, we'll take a break, have some phone calls coming up, right, after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com. Within the iHeartRadio app, search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: Moonshine Madness available at Danpatrick dot com. If you didn't get in on Moonshine at any point during this past year, now you have a chance, as we have some extra bottles that are available there, and every person who purchases a Tailgate Moonshine order gets fifty percent off their next order at the merch store at.
Speaker 4: Danpatrick dot com.
Speaker 2: All right, time for hour best and Worst of the weekend, Todd, I'll start with you.
Speaker 7: Best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 10: For best, North Carolina State taking down the tar Hill Saturday night in the ACC Conference Final five wins and five nights, their first conference championship in thirty seven years.
Speaker 12: Good job by them going on that run.
Speaker 10: Worst also on side of the one seed Houston getting humiliated in the Big twelve title game by the seven seed of Iowa State. They were down by as much as thirty lost by twenty eight sixty nine for the.
Speaker 4: Cyclones forty one for the Koogs.
Speaker 3: See no counter my worst of the weekend Seaton Hall got screwed. They should have been in the tournament. My best of the weekend the stakes that we had in Minneapolis Saturday night.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It was a place called Manny's at Manny's. Yes, that's that's a hell of a place. They know what they're doing. Yeah they do, Yeah, they do.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 4: Did you have a worst of the weekend?
Speaker 3: Yes, I'd be happy to repeat it. My worst of the weekend, Seaton All they should have been in the tournament. Yeah, Marvin, how about you?
Speaker 9: Best of the weekend is Temple taking probably Seaton Hall spot in the tournament. They won the AAC tournament.
Speaker 4: That's your best?
Speaker 7: Yeah, because it's madness, okay, rude, okay, I'm sorry, guys.
Speaker 4: Seating is right behind you.
Speaker 9: Oh see, And I'm sorry. It's all love though. Really that's my best of the weekend. Worst of the weekend Julius Rollins from Kent State. Kent State goes up by one with five seconds left. Julius Rollins intentionally files he didn't know the score right, he lost count time and score. He did not know it, and he filed the Akron player acronplayer. His two free throws, Kent State loses the mac Championship and they're out.
Speaker 4: Yeah. His coach was like, what you He's holding his head, like, what are you doing?
Speaker 7: What'd you just do?
Speaker 4: PAULI bestin worst.
Speaker 5: I'm sure he's glad to get the shout out by Marvin A national radio TV too, very thoughtful best of the weekend.
Speaker 7: This is a steaky one.
Speaker 5: Dodgers Shoheyotani could play in the field this season. Dave Roberts of the LA Dodgers gave an update on Tohani. He's going to start a light throwing program as he ramps up. He's not going to pitch this year, but that might allow him even to play in the outfield at a certain points. But there's been a lot of good news about his arm health and his possibility of pitching again. And I wonder if there's going to be based off Otani and this doctor out there, maybe in three or four years. Tommy John surgery is not a year, it's four months. I remember Dan, when we were younger, ACL surgery meant maybe your career was over for a Gail Sayers, but then an Adrian Peterson a year later is rushing for two thousand yards. I just think that maybe five years from now. Tommy John surgery is a setback.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the same doctor operated on Aaron Rodgers operated on Shohyo Ton.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And maybe achilles could be six months instead of a year.
Speaker 4: Yeah. My worst of the weekend.
Speaker 5: This is a toughye. The women's college basketball tournament. Now, when you're putting together Iowa and LSU, which you want to see play again, they put them in the same regional, which means it's likely that Iowa and LSU will face each other in Nancay Tournament in the Elite eight, which is nice and it's probably a probably the smart thing to ensure they play each other. But the entire country wanted to see LSU and Iowa in a rematch in the final four or the final game. They didn't want to take the risk. And I think the downside is worse. Either LSU or i will not make the final four this year. Yea, and that is I think a big mistake by the seating committee.
Speaker 2: I you can thank me later. But the first pitch thrown out in the Dodgers game in South Korea, the person throwing out the first pitch almost looks like it's ai, like it's the person's not real, But she is real. She's an actress in South Korea. But I just know that every Dodger player was interested in this, this actress throwing out the person. Very engaged, very very engaged. I think everybody was looking to shoot their shot there with the actress. Yes, but she's an actresses the pitch though, who cares?
Speaker 4: That's not getting a lot of cop who cares? Nobody?
Speaker 2: Yeah, nobody was happier to hear that news than Todd when I came in today.
Speaker 10: Yeah, she appears to be made of porcelain or some kind of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she doesn't look real, but she's an actress, famous actress, I guess in South Korea.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 4: Final results of the Pole question for hour two.
Speaker 3: I'd be happy to give you that, Dan, all right, we've got up there. Would you prefer the priority for tournament seating BT teams right best to worst or the best matchups?
Speaker 4: Right now?
Speaker 3: Best to worst is winning with eighty three percent of vote. Okay, people would rather that over more interesting matchup?
Speaker 2: Well, I think the more interesting matchups happen in the second round. Hey, if you win and they win, and then you're going to meet this team that coach is going to coach against his former school. You know, a player who played at North Carolina now maybe playing for Arizona.
Speaker 4: They might meet each other, yes.
Speaker 10: Time like that Texas Tennessee game a long time Texas coach Rick Barnes. If Texas and Tennessee win their first game, they'll play each other in the round two. So that's fun.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Todd.
Speaker 2: Hour two in the books, we'll check in with the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Speaker 4: They had a good weekend.