Speaker 1: Hey guys, welcome to I've never said this before with me Tommy Deadario. I love when I talk to a guest who has so many different layers, and the actor you are about to hear from brings all of that and more. Tanner of Buchanan joins the show today. Now you may know this talented guy because he stole the world's attention in his breakout role of Robbie in the hit Netflix series Cobra Kai. Cobra Kai is, of course, the sequel to the original the Karate Kid films, and the final season, season six, is set to release later this year. But next up, Tanner can be seen in the romantic comedy How to Date Billy Walsh, which is out right now on Amazon. So the film, it follows a pair of childhood friends, Amelia and Archie. Archie has always kept his love for Amelia a secret, but just as he finds the courage to declare his feelings, well, Amelia falls from Billy Waller, the new transfer student played perfectly by Tanner. So Today, Tanner opens up about how he can relate to his character about being misunderstood at different moments throughout his life. We talk about how we all have multiple layers that make up who we are, and we can't be defined by other people's perception of us. We talk about being comfortable in his own skin and how it's still hard to get used to seeing his image on a movie poster. We then dive into what we can expect in the new and final season of Cobra Kai that he is filming right now, and perhaps the greatest lesson you will ever hear in your entire life. We learn how you two can master a slow motion walk. So let's see if today we can get Tanner to say something that he has never said before. Tanner, It's good to see you, mo man? How are you good?
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 1: It's nice seeing I am fantastic. I have to say congratulations to you with this film. I watched it over the weekend and it's so good. But before we dive into that, I have probably one of the most burning questions you will ever be asked in an interview. Are you ready?
Speaker 2: I'm ready?
Speaker 1: How do you master a slow motion walk?
Speaker 2: That is a good question.
Speaker 3: I have not a clue to all, to be honest, I feel like I kind of just walked in there and they, I mean, the director was super honest.
Speaker 2: He goes, Listen, most of your stuff is going to be in slow mo. And I said, okay, and he goes, you know, you just.
Speaker 3: Gotta he goes, You don't really have to like play it super slow mo. He goes, but make sure you take your time because we want to make sure you have all those little looks.
Speaker 2: And stuff and different like the different stuff like that.
Speaker 3: So I maybe played stuff a little bit slower than what I'm used to because I'm a little crazy and like to look all over the place.
Speaker 2: And move my body a little bit more. But this one was a little bit more subdued.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you nailed it. You nailed it. I imagine that must feel a little funny doing that in real.
Speaker 3: Time, right, Yeah, yeah, yeah, Just the take about fifteen percent of what you usually do off of that, and then you're good.
Speaker 1: Well, like I said, the movie is awesome. You play the new kid who's the popular kid. People really gravitate towards him, we'll say, But what's cool about the role is he has a lot of different layers to him. And there's a powerful moment kind of near the end that you give this little monologue after a date that's just so awesome. So I'm curious to know. Are you somebody who feels like you've been misunderstood throughout your life or you've been judged one way based on maybe people not really knowing the real you.
Speaker 2: I mean, I feel like everyone can kind of relate to that. You know, me personally.
Speaker 3: You know, I grew up in a small, small town where sports was the big thing to do and I decided to go the opposite way and pursue dance, and a lot of people maybe disagreed with that, but you know, it's what led me to my career now. So you know, I'm happy with all the decisions that I made. So yeah, I feel like I can relate to that in a sense. But like I said, I feel like everybody can kind of relate to being an outlier at least at some point in their life of what they maybe don't understand yet about themselves, or or you know, really being in school and trying to find out who they are as a person and not really understanding what that's going to look like, trying to grow up. Even now, I feel like I'm constantly learning about myself on my own, and it may be hard for people to understand what I'm doing or the way that I'm taking and you know, it's something that you have to be able to figure out with you yourself, and I maybe do you want to say it that way?
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. So is that a reason why you wanted to take on this role because were layers to explore?
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean I feel like a lot of people they might watch the film and go, oh, he's just the American that rides the motorcycle and he's supposed to be popular, and it's like, like you said, there's that scene that I mean, Billy really keeps everything to himself and there's a lot going on in his family life and we get a little glimpse into that obviously, but not too much. I did a lot of work kind of on my own and tried to come up with different stories and what his life looked like and the way that it was molded. I've kind of kept it to myself, as I do many characters. But yeah, there was a lot of work that went in to try and figure out just to make sure he had those layers. As he is a man of few words.
Speaker 1: Well, that backstory is super important, So I'm sure that was really helpful in creating the role for you. So what makes you say yes to a certain project like this one? I mean, you've done so many different things throughout the course of your career already, You've seen like you're so hard working, you put your everything into all that you do. So why this movie?
Speaker 3: When I was first approached about it, Bashing Charithra, I believe were already attached. I had seen both of their kind of acting and their careers and had followed them a little bit and knew that they were amazing actors and it was also an opportunity. After reading the script, I realized how funny it was and how different it was from maybe some of the other writing styles that I had been in, and knew that it was just something that I wanted to do. Also, the plus of being able to ride a motorcycle just about the entire movie was a big one for me as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah was that new for you?
Speaker 2: No, no, no no.
Speaker 3: I grew up riding dirt bikes and have a couple of motorcycles, so it was something that was just a plus that I was like that, I want to ride a motorcycle for work.
Speaker 2: That sounds awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, Why not. Why not? That's sick.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: Another thing I love about this movie is it really taps into to, for lack of a better phrase, the mean girl, mean guy culture that we live in, right and just with phones capturing everything and people putting one another down and all of that. It really explores that and how certain people and how characters in the film really deal with that. And it's so interesting to me because I think it's something that you can see in art, but I'm not sure it necessarily stops the people from doing it to do it further. So it's such a really unique concept to me, and I love seeing it because I hope it does. I don't know the answer to that. I sure hope it does. But for you, obviously, your character isn't someone in this film who really battles much of that at all. But how do you kind of tune out the negative in life and separate yourself from all of that, for lack of another better term, that chit storm that exists out there.
Speaker 2: It is interesting.
Speaker 3: I'm right on that cusp of no social media to social media, so you know, I didn't really grow up with social media like kids are now. I mean, that's the entire that seems like what life is now, you know, And as much as I can understand it, I don't understand it as well as maybe I should. But I guess for me, you know, there's always going to be negative. It feels as though the negative is maybe a little bit more at the forefront, because obviously it is so accessible to everyone all over the world. But I guess the best way to do it is to just know. You got to ignore a lot of it, especially being in a career where you know, I am at the forefront and you know, a lot of people see what I do and have a lot of opinions about that. I just got to take it and stride and know that, you know, I did the best that I could and as long as I'm happy with myself and what I've done at the end of the day, that's all that matters.
Speaker 1: Oh well said, And I think that that mentality is so important to have and only serves you for the better. And another thing that the movie touches on is constant comparing, right Like there's you know, girls in the movie comparing their bodies to each other. There's guys trying to be cooler, I mean, and so on and so forth. I think that's such another important thing to shed a light on in any way that we can. How do you not fall into that trap right of comparison syndrome? I mean, have you do you? It's something that I feel like speaking off of, you know what you don't know about somebody, And similar to the theme of this movie, you would say, Oh, you don't have to worry about that. You don't compare yourself to anybody. So I'm so curious what that relationship is like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I feel like it's a natural thing for people to go, oh, you know, I like that outfit. I think that you know, I would love to have that outfit, but that may be too cool for me. Or he rides motorcycles. That sounds super cool. But ultimately, if it comes down if that's not your thing, that you know, that's okay. I definitely when I was younger, compared myself to a lot of people, like I said, being and especially now, like I said, with social media and just this career, I mean, everyone's posting the best versions of themselves or you're seeing the best versions of themselves and you just have to go wait a second. You know, they probably sat there and took fifty photos, or they tried on ten outfits. Oh, they had their makeup done. You know, everything isn't as perfect as it seems. And I did used to fall into that a little bit. But I think you just got to find where you are and be comfortable in your skin. It's a really, really hard thing to do, and it's a really long journey, and I think it's something that I'll constantly be adjusting just as the world continues to change, because it keeps changing faster and faster and faster, and it's hard to keep up with that. But I think ultimately everybody knows who they are, you know, in the core of what they want to do and who they want to be. And I think as long as you stay comfortable and believe in yourself, that's where you should live.
Speaker 1: Man, you strike me as someone who's very introspective, and that's always it's always exciting for me to talk to somebody like that, because you know, you love what you do. You're making shows, you're making movies. You're in this amazing spot in your career at a very young age. You have this amazing new film that's that's out right now. As people are listening to this, yet you remain so humble and so full of gratitude, and I think that's something that's really going to serve you well for the rest of your career.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I appreciate it. I try to.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I feel like it's just easier to try to remember you just don't get caught up in it all.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I'm just lucky enough to be able to do a career that I love, and to me, it's a job and I just go in every day and it's one of those things that I'm like, I kind of just can't believe that I get to do this as a job, and it just so happens that a lot of people see it.
Speaker 2: But at the end of the day, it's my job.
Speaker 3: And you know, on the sets, it's not just me and the actors. It's you know, the directors and the producers and the grips and lighting and camera and the pas and the ads and catering, you know, and crafty and transpot It's like, it's not just us, it's a crew of people, and without everybody, none of it would be able to happen. So I think as long as you remember that it's it's a job and it takes everybody.
Speaker 2: You know, everybody's equal.
Speaker 3: You know, there's no one that's more important than the other other person, because without each other then, you know, we wouldn't have stuff like the you know, stuff like this movies.
Speaker 1: It's a big team effort, that's for sure. Do you see or kind of you know, like, oh my god, I can't believe that's me on the poster of How to Date Billy Walsh, Like, is that feeling still present for you even though you've been working for so long.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely, it's it's it's exciting, but it's one of those weird things, you know. I don't know really how to explain it other than it's you know, if someone worked an office job and they did a presentation or an excel sheet and then the company decides, hey, you know, to promote our business, We're going to put your excel sheet on this big billboard and people are going to look at it, and you go, okay, thank you. But also that's a little it's a little odd at the same time because I don't I don't quite understand, but I will also I appreciate that you are promoting it and and't want that to happen. So it's a little bit it's just surreal because you go, oh wait, that's me. That's a little odd. So I don't know if it's just something I'm trying to get used.
Speaker 2: To, and I don't know if I ever will, to be.
Speaker 1: Honest, Yeah, well that's a good thing, I think, because it's going to keep you hungry for more and grounded and excited to keep doing the work that you're doing. So when people get done watching this film, what do you hope that they take away from it?
Speaker 2: Well, first off, I hope everyone enjoys the movie.
Speaker 3: I hope they walk away going, oh, I really enjoyed that, and the fact that they had just a lot of fun watching it. I think, you know, you touched on it a little bit. And with the whole social media of it all, I hope everyone kind of walks away going, you know, you don't know the story to everybody, because as accessible as everybody's life is, you know, I hope people can walk away and go, oh, you know, I don't know what's going on in somebody's life, and you know, I maybe shouldn't have preconceived notions about that. And if it's somebody that you truly want to pursue to get to know, get to know them, rather than you know, judging a book by its cover.
Speaker 1: Well said, Well said, And I think those are all really important points to take away from a really fun movie. And that's what I loved about it is it's so much fun, but it really has these pieces of useful information and tips that we should all remember going through this wildlife that we're in. So I think it's a really important movie to be dropping right now, especially because it has appeal to everybody, no matter what walk of life that you come from. What excites you for your future? Like, you're such a go getter. I know, I know the rumors about you that you show up first to set and you're always on time and professional, and you're like the a star when it comes to your work. And I know you write a lot and you believe in manifesting and all of that, so I know you take your future very seriously, you take your job very seriously. What's something that's surprising that you want to do in your future?
Speaker 3: So honestly, right now, I'm trying to get more behind the camera, not necessarily directing, but the main thing I'm trying to focus on is kind of the writing producing side of things. That's something that kind of excites me that I'm dipping my toe into right now with a couple of different things, and ultimately kind of want to move in that direction.
Speaker 2: Still want to be in.
Speaker 3: Front of the camera because it's something that I really really love, but also be able to get to the point where I can find stories that you know, maybe haven't had the chance to be told that I am able to kind of approach and say, hey, I also agree, and I think this story should be told and try to bring it to the forefront for people to be able to see and you know, learn from.
Speaker 1: Rock em Man. Well, I have no doubt you'll do that. You see, when your mindset on something, you go for it and you achieve it. So I see that coming. I see that coming. And I've got to ask, as a huge fan of Copra, Kai, I think you're still in the filming of the new season?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Is that correct?
Speaker 3: We are?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Cool? How's that all going?
Speaker 2: Are you?
Speaker 1: Are you almost done with the season?
Speaker 2: We are? We are working you know, this season so far is it's a lot. We're all working harder than we ever have. There's a lot going into this season and everyone's truly putting in not even one hundred and ten percent, We're all putting in two hundred percent. And I know we say it every year and it's going you know, and we always like, oh, this season's going to be bigger and badder than every season.
Speaker 3: This season truly is going to be the biggest season and there's so much to take in. It's gonna be a lot, it's gonna be a crazy, wild ride, and I think it's gonna.
Speaker 2: Make everybody really, really, really really happy.
Speaker 1: Oh nice, have you been using a lot of ice packs? Are you nursing your muscles this season? From all the training you're doing.
Speaker 3: It's it's a lot of heating pads and uh that's assault baths.
Speaker 2: And you know, the icing things.
Speaker 3: And advil for you know, it's, uh, we're doing it.
Speaker 2: All at all.
Speaker 1: Tanner, as we wrap up, the name of the show is, I've never said this before, So I'm wondering, is there anything that you can think of, whether it's silly or deep or whatever might come to mind that is something you haven't said before.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, I've been alive for twenty five years. I'm going back in my rips.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, take a minute and whatever comes to mind.
Speaker 3: I'm going to say this, and some people might be mad at me, but that's okay. I think that In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins is not a good song and I can't listen to it.
Speaker 2: And I don't know why.
Speaker 3: It does that thing in my brain where it scratches it in the wrong way and I can't listen to it.
Speaker 1: So it's a trigger for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a lot of people are going to disagree with me, but it's like nails on a chalkboard for some reason.
Speaker 1: Really, is it the instrumentals? Is it the song? Like the message? I need a little more information.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I every time I listen to it, it like it gives it Honestly, it gives me the ick, and like there's something about it that just kind of yeah, in the Air Tonight just gives me the ick for some reason, and I just can't listen to it.
Speaker 1: Well, now we have a problem because when I hear that song, I'm gonna now think of you telling me that the song gives you the ick, And now I'm never gonna be able to enjoy the song again.
Speaker 2: It's a glassbreaking moment. It's gonna be a glass.
Speaker 1: Breaking that's amazing, and I will, I certainly will never hear that song in the same way again. So I appreciate you sharing that. That's Isn't it funny how we all have certain things that we can't put our finger on. Why but it just hits us in a weird way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just it's you and you go, I just it's just wrong. I don't know why. It's just wrong for me and I don't know why.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. Well, thank you for sharing that. Yes, I'm sure a very controversial topic is people feel a certain way or another about that song, but I love it. Thank you for that problem. So enter the movie is out now, everyone's going to be looking for something new to stream to watch. As we close up this interview, why should we all turn on How to Date? Billy Walsh?
Speaker 3: I truly think it's something that everyone's going to be able to relate to. You know, everyone had friends or maybe they went to school, or you know, maybe there was different clicks of you know, friend groups that they hung out with or they observed. And I think it's truly something that people can go oh, I see how this is and I can relate to that. It also is the topic of young love, and I assume that you know, maybe not everyone, but you know, most human beings have experienced love, especially young love, at some point in their life, and it's something that they can look at and go, oh, I remember that time, and I remember, you know, going through that or feeling those things. And then also it's just honestly, it's really funny and just a really fun watch, and I think if people should just give it a chance, and I think they'll.
Speaker 2: Really enjoy it.
Speaker 1: Everyone go watch the movie now, Tanner. Thank you so much for hanging out, and congratulations on all your success. Man, truly, we're cheering you on.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. I appreciate it all right, be well, yeah you too.
Speaker 1: I've never said this before. Is hosted by Me Tommy Diderio. This podcast is executive produced by Andrew Publisi at iHeartRadio and by Me Tommy, with editing by Joshua Colaudney. I've never said this before. It's part of the Elvis Duran podcast network on iHeart Podcast. For more, rate review and subscribe to our show and if you liked this episode, tell your friends. Until next time, I'm Tommy Diderio.