Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Molly John Fast and this is Fast Politics, where we discussed the top political headlines with some of today's best minds and Maga is melting down.
Speaker 2: Over a woke Marxist American pope from Chicago. We have such a great show for you today. The Lincoln Project's own Stuart Steven stops by to talk about how it's going in Trump's America not very well. Then we'll talk to congressional candidate Dajia Fox about her run for Congress and why we need gen Z energy in Congress. Plus, we have a special bonus from our YouTube channel where we talk to investigative journalist Carol Kyle Dwalder about how AI is taking over all our lives. But first the news.
Speaker 3: So, Molly, I'm going to shock you here. The guy who wrote the book on deals, he only makes the best deals. He's hedging again because he's not very good at deals. That's the thing that happens all the time. It's really not shocking at all.
Speaker 2: You know, It's funny because it's like we've been covering this fucking guy for almost a decade of our lives, and during that time we've all gotten a lot older. My youth. I've seen my youth squandered by covering Donald Trumps. So here's the deal. We're in a trade war with China. The problem is we cannot onshore manufacturing by making things more expensive. We need to onshore manufacturing by building manufacturing plants in America. I mean, the whole thing is just completely dumb and poorly thought out, like so many things in Trump world. Now Trump is starting to see you'll remember Peter Navarro ninety deals in ninety days. So we have one deal so far, and it's with Britain, which is like our seventh or eighth biggest trading partner, which is very nice, but it is also a country where we actually buy more from them than they from us. So whatever. Anyway, the point of this whole thing is that he's starting to feel the walls close in, and as the walls close in, he realizes that, in fact, he really does need to deal with China. Ergo, he is suggesting cutting the tariffs already, which is, by the way, a sign of weakness. And I don't know if you know this about Xijingping, but I think he's going to end up winning the trade war. I think like signs of weakness before negotiating. Makes me think that one hundred and forty five percent levy, which is going to go to eighty percent, will ultimately go down to a lot less. So we're in a trade war and we're already losing and it hasn't even really started. This is a pretty good sign that Trump is rethinking the what's going on and good except the only thing is that, as we've seen from port traffic, there's going to be a shock here and it's going to be inflationary, and just coming back from it is probably going to put us in a recession. So stagflation for everyone.
Speaker 3: Great. So, Molly, we have a reoccurring character on this show, particularly our old show. We'd have to talk about this one all the time. We've named we've nicknamed her Judge Box of Wine now that.
Speaker 2: Is from season one.
Speaker 3: Yes, the wine, you know, can be spelled two different ways. We're gonna go out record and say it's w h I an E because we don't want to cast any aspersions on our Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes, as a sober alcoholic, it's a self diagnosed disease. And far be it from me to diagnose almost every person in this administration with a drinking problem. We would never do that. It's not every person, it's just a few prominent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, there's just just a few who display strong, strong signs. Anyway, So miss Piro to say that the people who have worked with her in the past have bad things to say about her whole leadership style is a rastic, drastic understatement. But mister Trump's like, now she should be the interim DC attorney.
Speaker 2: Yeah, judge, box of wine going to US attorney in Washington is great for any number of reasons. One the Ed Martin pushback worked, Okay, all that had to happen was vulnerable North Carolina Republican Tom Tillis had to say, I'm not sure about this. And by the way, RFK is right now fucking up every kind of thing he possibly can with the health stuff. It's a complete and utter disaster. And so I want to point out how easy it would have been just to torpedo that nomination had Republicans just had a tiny bit of a spine. Instead, we have children dying of measles. Okay, So just want to point this out when we look at this story, which is these incredibly cowardly Republicans could have punted on the RFK junior nomination and children who have died of measles would be alive today. Okay, So I want you to put that in your PA. That's you know that there are a number of Republican senators, maybe all of them, with the exception of Cindy Hyde Smith who know and Tommy Tuberville, who know better than having RFK in that job. And they did it anyway because they didn't want a headache, and because they took this job because they're lazy and not good in anything. So the point of this story is we're going to have Judge box of Wine as the interim US Attorney in Washington. It's going to be destructive and fucked up, but also, as with so many things in the Trump administration, inadvertently hilarious. So we will try to grab the humor from this situation. Well, you know, we will laugh to keep from crying. We will delight in the stupidity, but we will also know that this is not how any of this is supposed to happen, and that this is degrading our great democracy. You know, he puts in these very loud and competent people and thank God for that.
Speaker 3: Speaking of incompetence, we are seeing one of the most major blowbacks this administration has seen so far, with Trump picking Casey means for Surgeon General. Casey means for those who don't know, is an RFK Junior. Lackey, particularly known for as Laura Lumer, leaked this week publishing a newsletter on how she manifested her husband.
Speaker 2: Yes, who among us has not manifested their spouse? I manifest all the time For Matt Greenfield, We've gone down the fucking rabbit hole here of serious fucking craziness. You open the door to RFK Junior, you put him in charge of your healthcare, and you're going to have things like this. So she's a best selling author. Everybody likes that. She's a wellness influencer. Who doesn't like that she has written a book called This Surprising Connection between Metabolism and Lemonless Health. Oh, we're definitely all going to die. So work with our wonderful Secretary of Health and Human Services, Robert F. Kennedy Junior, to ensure successful implification of ore. We are so incredibly fucked. The good news is that they don't like pharmaceuticals. They don't like food industry, they don't like vaccines. They think the FDA is corrupt. We are so incredibly fucked up.
Speaker 3: I think there is good news though, that this is really seeming like this is putting up the hackles of a lot of people. Even rfk's old running mate is really disappointed about this pick.
Speaker 2: Yes, but also I want to point out my favorite part of this whole story is involved in this is ronan On Johnson. Of course he's involved because he's a fucking incredible lunatic. We should not be suppressed. Stuart Steve There's a legendary campaign manager and the author of the conspiracy to end America five ways my old party is to driving our democracy to autocracy. Welcome to fast Politics, Stewart Stevens.
Speaker 4: Thanks for asking me to the party.
Speaker 2: So another day in Trump's America.
Speaker 4: This is doing great.
Speaker 2: It's going great. It's like every time we make this guy president, it's a fucking disaster.
Speaker 4: You know he's going to get to It's just it's a bit of personally. If I stay away from Newark, it's.
Speaker 2: Not we laugh to keep from crying. But talk to me, they'll be around.
Speaker 4: Anybody that has measles. Look, you know, I think it's the sort of most disheartening thing about all this Trump stuff is it's not just the Republican Party that collapsed in Bennett's snee back in sixteen. The way we've seen these other institutions, like so much of the legal because some of the legal community do it, some of the great universities like one up the street from U Columbia. And I think it's just a little parable or lesson in how fragile this thing we call democracy is and how much it's based upon goodwill. Now there's the flip side of that is you do have people fighting back. I think that the twenty four election was greatly misunderstood. You know, it was an election that any non incumbent had a great chance to win. The approval rating of Biden was at forty No candidates ever gotten two points higher than incumbent party's president. The right Track was at twenty seven, which is just a saggering number. No incumbent parties ever won when it was below forty five, which is why we see Nikki Haley. She was doing a lot better than Trump. And I think that that's been confused with the idea that there was some reordering of our politics. No, there wasn't that there was some great breakthrough the Republican Party and that it was an endorsement of Trump is And I think that you know what we're seeing is they knew and campaign that's Project twenty twenty five was poised, and then now they're making people drink it and they gotten any better. So I look at the Democratic Party like this incredibly valuable company that's just under bad management. It's like they were Apple and they fired Steve Jobs and Rovin Scully, but the value is still there, and you know, hopefully they'll be able to get it together.
Speaker 2: So let's let's go down that rabbit hole for a minute. First, let's talk about kind of what Trump is trying to enact. I feel like we're not getting a lot of intel on this. People aren't talking about it because nobody gives a shit about Congress because they made themselves so incredibly irrelevant by rubbers camping everything that Trump wants to do. But they are trying to pass a budget and it is a fucking disaster, and they believe they're going to pass it in fifteen days or something, and FYI, they have not agreed on anything. The only way to pay for these tax cuts is to basically close every rural hospital and nursing home and politically just commit supuku discuss.
Speaker 4: It's a great way to put it. Yeah, you can't get there unless you were committed to deep cuts in the military. They're not. That's the dirty little secret of the budget. This is why we have a deficit. People like the stuff that they get from the government. And you know, I think the greatest irony here and this is then true for a long time, but it sort of gets highlighted in these moments. The states that most depend upon the federal government are these poor red states like my home state of Mississippi. About forty percent of Mississippi state budget forty percent comes from the federal government, which I really don't understand why we don't call it socialism, and you make these cuts and these are the people that are going to be hurt. I mean, I was looking at a map that talking about closing some social security offices in Misissippi. Well they aren't closing them. They're not talking about it now. They are because of the date when one closed first of May. I was doing like a little Google Maps thing you know, you're going to have to drive a lot of people one hundred plus miles to get their such security office will at the same time, they're cutting the backstaff that would answer the phone and do all these helplines. And that's not going to affect anybody who's not dependent upon Social Security. And that's just it. Scott Galloway made this point, I thought, really precisely as he is a way of doing this is the fundamental definition of a cryptocracy. You know, you have a group of people around Trump who are making a lot of money and who are using the government to make themselves richer while others are going to be poorer. And that's it. I mean, there really is a blueprint. If we sat down, as sort of a social science experiment, said how do you make them America poorer? Well, we've lost thrillions of dollars of wealth since Trump took office. These terror servants saying, how do you make America less healthy? Will you put some lunatic like RFK in charge of national health? How would you make America less competitive in the world and have a darker than brighter future. You would cut research, You would make our educational institutions, which really are the great driver or certainly one of them of wealth in America. Why is there so much money in Boston? Why why is Massachusetts so rich? And you know what, it was a great driver in California. And you're going to cut these research budgets. It's really what would you do if you're trying to make the world more unstable and more dangerous? You would cut the greatest, most successful alliance in history, NATO. And you know, Republicans have just gone along with it. I don't think it's complicated or hard to understand, because I think it's just sheer cowardice and we should just accept that cowardice is probably a norm that all of us who are human reset too, and we should be surprised by courage.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Another person who said it was a cryptocracy was Ken Griffin. He is the biggest Republican donor, not a Trump donor, but the biggest Republican donor there is. Said it's a cryptocracy. So clearly things are not going great, right because for things, you know the fact that you have people like this saying what the fuck are you doing is probably a bad sign. I mean, and honestly, again, I think you and I can agree, thank god, right, because if it were going great, we'd be they'd be just disappearing grad students left and right, and we'd be really on our way to orbone it's hungary, whereas right now we're sort of in a weird period where my man is doing anti democratic things but also destroying the economy. So let's talk through. I thought the incredible hail Mary passed yesterday, Donald Trump said he would like to tax people who make over five million dollars. This is the only reason he got elected, as far as I can tell, was to protect these people's money.
Speaker 4: Yeah. You know, I've never seen a poll in all my life, and we used to put this on polls where taxing people who make over even a million dollars didn't test to the good and the higher you put that number, I mean, if you ask people, should billionaires pay more in taxes, it's like a ninety five to five, you know, I mean everybody, of course they take that, of course. And I think this is Trump, in this jumbled mess of a mind, in this jumble collection of weirdos and freaks that he has around him. You know, it's always the last person in the room. Somebody sticks a poll in front of him and says, look, you're the first president well except the previous Trump administration that is less popular one hundred days after you took office than you were an election day, which is really interesting to think about. You know, it's a very American thing to say after I didn't vote for this person, but I'll give them a chance. So you know, at this point, Biden was near sixty, Obama was in the mid sixties. Even Bush in after the two and four election was higher than the he was an election day. Trump is lower. So what does that mean? That means people who voted for Trump are having a lot of doubts about it. And that's that's difficult to do this quickly. It's always difficult to get any of us to admit that we made a mistake. So you've got this problem. You have these congressional candidates out there who are beginning to panic. I mean, they know what happened in twenty ten to Democrats, they know what happened in nineteen ninety four, and they're looking at this and seeing this could be a blood bat. You know, we can move thirty to forty seats. What is it that we're supposed to campaign own, how is anyone's life better that's been accomplished here? So he says, oh, look, you know, I'm going to go out and say this, maybe it'll help. At the heart of it is that there's no governing philosophy to the Republican Party anymore. Knowing can and good faith articulate this is a theory of government and say what you will. He used to be able to do that. You could say, well that those are the worst ideas I've ever heard in my life. Right, A lot of people said that, you know, but you can have a debate between some conservative and Elizabeth Warren and it could be an interesting debate and she could defend one another. But there's not now there's not a center right party in America. And I think that that lack of any sort of coherent theory of government, a purpose of government, is at the root of all this, because if you don't believe in anything, if you don't have any idea that government should work this way, it's just a series of these chaotic missteps, and it's just you end up with this mess that we have now, a government that is failing it its basic purposes.
Speaker 2: So you don't think Trump is going to increase taxes for people who make over five million dollars a year.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's such a great thing for him to say, because it's like, yeah, but of course he's not going to do it. No. Look, so then we get to the question of is it malpractice that Democrats aren't pulling better when they're running against someone who is literally doing all the most unpopular things. So I'm going to ask you. I know you're a Republican. Jesse and I both pretty lefty. I'm right, I'm less lefty than Jesse is because I come from a lot of privilege, but I'm still lefty. I want you to sort of explain to us why you think democrats can't like it's clear there's a populism. It is not so different than what Democrats want to do, and yet somehow it's not working.
Speaker 4: So discuss Yeah, you know, I've been thinking about this a lot, and I think it's a really interesting question. Argument can be made, a case can be made that the Democrats are still trapped in this mindset that we have news cycles. When we had news cycles, you could at least attempt to push a message that was unified. I mean, all these campaigns we said around, we'd let's have an education week now, right. I never really could do it, but we could at least pretend that we could do it. I mean, I can't remember. In two thousand, when I was working on the Bush campaign, then the New York Times went online at midnight East Coast time. You could sit there, so that was eleven o'clock in Austin. You could sit there and you could look at your watch, and by eleven fifteen you would be getting calls from reporters that were basically using the New York Times as assignment editors for what they were going to work on. So we don't have that anymore. That's been shattered. They're no gatekeepers all of that. So what does that mean to me? I think it means you shouldn't If you're asking yourself, is that the right thing to do to go out was like a Bernie an AOC campaign Or should you be talking about just gas prices? That's the wrong question, because you should be doing everything, because different things are going to be heard by different people, because our entire media is so fragmented. Smart you should just flood the zone with all of these messages and I think the one thing, if there's one lesson out of the last year in politics, it's the power of passion. And you know, there still is this really unfortunate assumption inside a lot of consulting community. I think it's worse on the Democratic side because consulting community on the Republican side has kind of been reduced to just following Trump. You can focus group your way out of this, you can test it your way out of this. And the super Pac Future Forward that was started to support Biden and then went to Harris is a perfect example. I mean, I think they're really smart. I think they made some good ads, but they had almost a billion dollars to spend and they were testing everything. They had this system, We're going to test every ad three times. So it's like it was just so clear that these transgender attacks were hurting Democrats across the board because it was a perfect example to sort of use as a hyperbole of Wochism or whatever, and it was the easiest thing in the world to push back on. This was a policy that was adopted under Trump by his handpicked head of prison and as far as anybody can figure out, only happened once, right, So you know, we made an ass and take very long the Lincoln Project to put back on it. Gave it to the folks at Future four because super pacn coordinated. They said that we love this. Like a week later it wasn't running. I was like, hey, guys, what's going on? They got well, he didn't test well, and you know, I just want to say to him, do you think Willie Horton tested well? Like people were like, you know, I really liked that bit about the guy that shot somebody in the face. No, people are never going to say that, but it does work. And you can use a kind of social science experiment. Every Democratic Senate candidate who was attacked with this who responded on camera pushing back on it one and everyone who was attacking didn't lost. So that's a lesson in this.
Speaker 2: That's how you get to a Reuben Diego Trump voter. Right. What I think is so sort of lightning in a bottle about what Trump did was that he went everywhere he promised every time he did that politics is downstream of culture. He became part of the culture. He influenced the politics, and it just worked. It worked so well that people came out, they filled out for him, They voted for him, and then they left the bottom of the ticket blank in a lot of states. So that is really the thesis, right A Brightbarn.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Look, I think this has been true and really obvious since the Clinton Bush election. You know, I can remember as a Republican when Clinton went on our senior hall played the saxophone and we said, well, this race is over. No one wants to president in the United States. Who's going to put on sunglasses and play a saxophone on a late night showed.
Speaker 2: Oh you guys thought you'd win on that.
Speaker 4: And well you were smarter. By the end of the campaign, Bush would have played a banjo in his underwear someplace, you know, because they realized it was working. So I think this has been apparent to people. And you know, in two thousand at the Lincoln Project, when we started a podcast, we had a lot of friends and support us going like, Gus, what are you doing starting a podcast? We started a streaming show because we saw this that you had to communicate in these different ways, and now you have twenty four people go it was the podcast literally wasn't the caest election, but you know, it just shows the difference that has occurred here. But look, the thing that frustrates me most about the Democratic Party is a lack of swagger, a lack of affirmative assertion. We're right there wrong And I hate this stuff. I read like we're going to go out and have these listening tours and try to figure out what we did wrong. I don't know. I mean, if you do that stuff, I wouldn't talk about it. And they're talking about it because they think that they have to do a certain pendance. Bosses, our donors are mad. But look, we're going to go through this. You have to. I mean, nobody ever wins the super Bowl if you walk out and think maybe we have a chance. I mean you have to believe in a start that you're going to win and that you're right. And they need to use a language here that is accusatory and broad sweeping. Trump is a crook. It is the most corrupt administration by far in history. Trump is portraying the greatest generation of what he's doing in Ukraine and the way he's trying to demand basically a protection racket with Ukraine. I mean, it's disgusting. You need to say these things. Don't be afraid of going too far, and I think that element is inside the Democratic Party, and I think it really is not so much ideological. I mean, Fetterman's not bad at it, and he's sort of a different place than Bernie and AOC on all of these issues. So it's not a time for timidity. It's a time for boldness, and it's a time to if you really believe that democracy is a threat, which you should to act like it to respond. It's still this confusion that the Democratic Party has, which is understandable and there's something admirable about this in a way that their role is to be a governing party. No, I mean Johnathan last wrote about this brilliantly thought their role should be to be a dissident movement, and that's what they should be looking at. How did dissident movements operate? And they should be trying to stop all of this. They shouldn't be worried that they're going to be seen as uncompromising or they're not getting anything doing. You know, they should do what used to be Buckley said of conservatism, that stand in the wake of history and say no, that's what they should be doing, and doing it loudly.
Speaker 2: Stuart Stevens. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 3: Molly.
Speaker 2: Dija Fox is a congressional candidate in Arizona seventh District. Welcome to Fast Politics. Oh my god, I'm so excited, Dija.
Speaker 5: Hello, thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: We just did the math and we have known each other very rufually. I mean, we don't know each other well, but for eight years. I'm going to embarrass you and tell the story of when I met you. Can I do that for a minute, go for it. So we were at an event and Women's magazine honoring you. You have incredible story of your upbringing and how you grew up, and again you can tell I'm sure I'm making mistakes here because it was like almost a decade ago, but you grew up very modest circumstances, sometimes doing your homework in your car where you were living.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, we didn't have Wi Fi at my home, so I would often have to take you know, go to the library and sometimes even sit outside to use that.
Speaker 2: But you did end up getting a scholarship to.
Speaker 5: Barnard, actually to Columbia. But yes, Tywambia moving to New York on a full ride. At Columbia in twenty eighteen and became the first of my family to go to college. It could not have been more of a one to eighty from where I was at. Right. I wrote my college essays on my phone while working at the gas station after school, and I've since graduated and moved back to Arizona, where I'm now running for office.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about what it looks like in Arizona right now. Arizona is such an interesting state. The really one of the very few states where you had Trump Reuben Diego voters. What does it take to win in Arizona and what does Arizona look like? And also, you're running in a primary, I want you to talk us through what your race looks like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, Arizona is an interesting place, right and it's one of the things I love most about it is that people here think really critically. But also, you know, we have a real group of independence out here. And so you're right to say that this last election showed us some interesting numbers, right that Trump ended up winning out here in Arizona. But we also saw Reuben Diego, a Democrat, pull through in the Senate. And you know what I think is maybe most interesting of all is that we saw our abortion initiative, our citizens ballot initiative pass and with a historic number of signatures to qualify, they gathered something like eight hundred thousand, and so I think it's safe to say that here in Arizona, people are with us on the issues. And when we look at a race like mine, I'm running for congress in Congressional Districts seven here in Arizona that includes parts of South and West Tucson, my hometown, two neighborhoods up in Phoenix, and hundreds of miles of the US Mexico border. And my district is one of the safer and bluer congressional districts in Arizona. And so what's really on the line in this race and in this primary is an opportunity to one make history by electing one of the youngest members, the youngest member, and the first woman of my generation.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: And then you know, the other piece that I'll point out here is that in this primary I'm running against two other folks, and I think what makes me stand out is I'm the break from the status quo. I'm not a career politician. I got my start as an activist a decade ago, and so I know power from the other side of the diis.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: And I think in this moment where Trump has really thrown us into a sense of lawlessness, right where it feels like rules suddenly don't matter, we need someone with an advocacy lens right, with an activist's experience, to be an obstructionist to his agenda and to make people at home feel like somebody is fighting for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would love you to talk about that, because as a member of Congress, you have power, but you also don't have that much power. So how do you feel like you could use this congressional seat to really push against this?
Speaker 5: I mean, I think first things first, Right, just by the nature of me being in this seat, the dynamics of power in Washington would look different. As it stands, something like one in five Americans are of my generation Gen Z, and yet we have a single representative in Congress, Like that is a true representation problem, right, And by the nature of having someone not just a young person for whom the climate crisis is not theoretical, right, for whom I am a part of the first generation of women to have less rights than our mothers, right, Like, I bring a different perspective to this work by the nature of my age. The other thing I'll say, as it relates to age and how I would do this job differently, is that Donald Trump has been running for president since I was fifteen years old. The entirety of my sort of political consciousness has been affected by this man and the circus he is running up in DC. And so when we ask how would I do things differently, I think you're right to say that under a Trump trifecta, it feels like even people holding some of the offices with the most power seem to have their hands tied on what they can do. My commitment is that I would learn the ins and outs of Capitol Hill, right, things like parliamentary maneuvers, to be a true obstructionist to his agenda, especially when it comes to tax cuts for the billionaires and most wealthy among us.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: And then the next thing I'll say, and I think this can't be understated, is that we need more effective messengers.
Speaker 2: Right. I was actually about to bring that up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, go on, I mean I have interviewed these electeds, right, I've gone up to DC with my mini mic and questions in hand, even you know, most recently at the joint address the State of the Union, if you will, and I left disappointed these folks are not keeping up in our own party with the changing media landscape. Right, something like thirty nine of adults under thirty get their news on TikTok, And so if we're going to stay competitive with the right, we need to build a more effective media ecosystem and have the kind of representation and electeds, especially in these safe blue seats, who can meet the moment, who can translate a message into digital spaces, and our campaign is doing that already. We have over four million organic views in the last month on Instagram and TikTok and a special election primary in Arizona, right, Like, imagine what we could do with the power of that seat. And at a time where Democrats have an approval rating in the twenties, we should be looking to say, who are our new voices, what does new leadership look like, and who can we send into these these safer and bluer seats to make people at home feel fought for so we don't lose them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I also think that some of the problem that we're seeing is just that there's just not enough explaining that goes on, and you can't necessarily explain the stuff if you are using traditional platforms. So I'm thinking about AOC as ranking member of Oversight. One of the really big enforced errors I think that Democrats did was they refuse to make AOC ranking on Oversight, and the thinking was it wasn't her turn because Jerry Connolly had been on oversight for a long time and a lot of people felt they owed him discussed.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean that resonates with me. That kind of thinking out in DC is exactly what I'm going up against right now in my primary. Right this idea that we need to wait our turn, that the Republican Party is going to go back to normal if we just give it some time, which young people like me know is not true. Right, that politics has forever changed in this country, and we needeople who are willing to meet that moment, who are willing to be the messengers who are going to do that explaining to help people understand what is happening in DC and not just the awful things that are being done on the right in real time and at a frequency that is impossible to keep up with but on our side, right, how are we fighting for them? And I think one of the I liked this phrase used unforced errors, right, sort of. One of the things I think Democrats are leaving on the table is they're failing to even explain what they're doing well. Right, But you know, you're right to say that our party has a deficit of leadership in this moment, and we see it in moments where folks like AOC are denied leadership positions despite coming in at the top when asked. You know, there was a CNN poll I believe that asked who in the Democratic Party which elected best represents our core values? And AOC rose to the top right. And so instead of listening to the people right and mirroring that in our leadership structures, DC has constantly and consistently tried the top down approach that they know better than people, right, And we're seeing that been in elections like mine, where there's pushback on having a true primary. Right would rather have selections than elections because it feels safer, more predictable people who are really entrenched in this establishment. But for folks like me, right, I am at the doors listening to constituents and online right reading the TikTok comments, taking a pulse for where our party and where young people, in particular the future of our party are at. And we know that we need newer and younger voices if we're going to have a party for my generation to inherit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'm wondering if you could explain to us one of the things that I think that traditional Democrats don't feel comfortable with is doing the kind of media that they probably need to explain to us what that looks like and how they should do it.
Speaker 5: The media landscape has changed so much, even in the last ten years. I had my first viral video in twenty seventeen going toe to toe with my former senator, a Republican, Jeff Flake, over his attempts to defund planned parenthood. Right, I shouldn't fit his town hall, which Republicans do not seem to be hosting anymore.
Speaker 2: When they used to do town hall right in the.
Speaker 5: Era in which Republicans had town halls and like would go and be face to face with their constituents, a bygone era of democracy. I fear, and I asked him why he is a middle aged white man was making decisions about me and my body, right, And he says this thing about how he supports policies that support the American Dream, and I ask him why he would deny me the American Dream. And millions of people overnight on Twitter and Facebook saw that video, and I share that story to say that in the last what is that eight years since we've known each other, the landscape on which we are meeting people, in which they are developing their political understanding has shifted. And for someone like me, right, who has been ear to the ground, following each platform as it develops and really working in digital strategy, right for candidates even like Kamala Harris, I've been able to keep up with that shift. But for a lot of these legacy folks, establishment Dems on our side, they're failing to see the movement of attention and political understanding. There's a bit of even an elitism, if you will, around who builds political understanding right that there's no way that someone like me, with hundreds of thousands of followers on TikTok and Instagram, there's no way that I could be the one building people's political understandings over something like you know, a more traditional CNN or MSNBC, which is behind a paywall for most people of my generation and inaccessible, and so you know, I think it will take candidates like me who are taking a new media approach right, who are hopping on the podcasts and doing the substack live streams and consistently pumping out viral content with organic views all across the country and in district to change their minds. We still have to prove concept to some of these more traditional folks. But I think what is scarier is that we may not have time that if we don't start being competitive in these digital spaces. We already saw an indicator of this in twenty twenty four, but the other side already has a head start. And if we don't start closing the gap now by electing people who are strong messagers in new media and digital spaces, if we don't start investing in the creators who have strong podcasts and interview series and live streams right by giving them access to our electeds and letting them ask real questions, and if we don't start investing in that media ecosystem overall, like we are going to be in a really bad spot in twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 2: You know, it's funny because I actually don't think it necessarily matters what the questions you ask people are. Has someone who has been doing interviewing for a long time. I actually think people just say what they want to say and you want to sort of direct them. But there are certain people who will tell you more on a staff than other people. And I think one of the things that I have been really struggling with is this sort of mckinseying of democratic speak, so where you interview someone but they really refuse to tell you anything that is particularly relevant. And look, sometimes that's been used to great effect, but at this point, I think it's losing more elections than it's winning for Democrats.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I couldn't agree with you.
Speaker 4: More.
Speaker 5: People's bs radar is up right and what they expect not only from politicians but from celebrities right influencers. Even because of the nature of social media, where anyone can leave a comment for the entire world to see, or send a DM in real time to anyone they want anywhere in the world. Right, there is a new expectation of transparency and accountability in our culture because of the structures of these social media platforms and the ways they have affected our social relationships. And one thing I'm really proud of on our campaign is the level of transparency we're bringing to this process. I once again will stress that this is a special election primary in the middle of summer in Arizona, with like one hundred days in it. There is absolutely no expectation from like an establishment point of view of bringing new people into this process. This is the kind of election where they're like, focus on the high efficacy voters and leave everybody else behind. And that is absolutely not what we are doing over here. We are doing what you said earlier, which is explaining the process.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: We took people along as we gathered signatures. We showed them the process of literally submitting those signatures to the Secretary of State's office, and then showed them the receipts of how many we had, right, like the actual receipt from his office. We've taken them behind the scenes on things like fundraising. You know, there is probably hundreds of thousands of more people that know now what rolodexing and call time are because of our videos, and so, you know, I think pulling back a little bit of that rather one of the benefits of our campaign, and the way we are doing things differently by the nature of being a candidate who is transparent and available online, is that we are making this process more transparent as we go. And I think the effects of that are still yet to be seen, but we know that it's one of the issues that democrats and our democracy at large are facing. Right There is an issue of transparency, of people feeling like they're included in the process. And the other thing that is still left to be seen but will will know shortly, is how it will affect other young people who are considering a run for office. I get, I'm not kidding you, hundreds of dms of young people who are interested in running for office because of the content they are seeing on my platform around this election, right, who want to know more about the process, who are frustrated and fed up, and who want to take action. And I think it can't be understated that after losing so many young people in this last election to apathy or to the other side, that we need leaders who are inspiring young people to get involved, right, who make it feel possible, not more folks who you know, through the means of legacy and establishment, make this feel even further away and affirm what people already believe, which is that this political process isn't for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you, thank you, thank you for joining.
Speaker 5: Us, thank you for having me, and thank you for your thoughtful questions. Nobody said it was going to be easy. It's hard work and it's good work. And I hope that people will join in to support our work and our campaign because we really have a shot to make history over here in Arizona. But we only got a few weeks left.
Speaker 2: Who are you running a hand?
Speaker 5: There are two other folks in this Democratic primary of note. One is a former state legislator and the other came off the board of supervisors and is the former congressman's daughter.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, yeah. And is she young?
Speaker 5: No, she's in her fifties. And I think what you need to know about the difference between me and them is that when it comes to experience, mine is in an act advocacy realm right, you know. The experience that I bring is advocacy.
Speaker 2: Carol Cadwalder is an investigative journalist and the author of The Family Tree. Welcome to Fast Politics.
Speaker 6: So nice to be here, great fan, great fans.
Speaker 2: Well, it's very mutual so your atjourney started with the journey of Braxit.
Speaker 6: Which journey are we talking? Well?
Speaker 2: I feel like I want you to give us your for those who are not as dialed in as Jesse and I are.
Speaker 6: The hell is this British chick of what you're doing on your podcast?
Speaker 2: Is that all right? Yeah? You can do this with Yeah.
Speaker 6: So basically who am I? I am an investigative journalist. I was until three weeks ago a Guardian journalist, but I have been expelled now from mainstream media. I've been clinging on but anyway, they the Guardians, sold my bit of the organization and so anyway, long story, but I'm out. But I'm enjoying my liberty and freedom I have to tell you, which enables me to be quite punchy. Which is I mean, I've been pretty punchy, but I feel that I don't know something about age is becoming more so. But to answer the question, I essentially my beat became in twenty sixteen. My beat really became this thing which was the intersection of technology and politics, and of course that means technology and democracy. And I was kind of just terrified. I'd been reporting on tech for quite a long time. By that stage, but very much from as generalist, like I'm a feature writer, that's my background. It's very much about like explaining to the world how this stuff worked, rather than doing the sort of like my new who is a great new product. Anyway, in that sort of I sort of became terrified about what I discovered in the twenty sixteen. It was really actually the thing which really sent me down the rabbit hole was the election of Trump. And then that I started pulling on a string and I discovered this really shady data company called Cambridge Analytica.
Speaker 2: And little by little I pulled that.
Speaker 6: String and sort of discovered this huge scandal, the Facebook Cambridge Analytica scandal, which was this massive data breach in which eighty seven million people's Facebook profiles were harvested and then used essentially to help elect Trump and the same company and the same people. It was very much there was this totally kind of twin operation you could see between Brexit and Trump and just it was the same people, it was the same companies, it was the same data. We had the same kinds of bad actors, the same foreign interference, and so that sort of question of how these tech plans platforms essentially facilitated a complete revolution in the way that we do campaigning and politic completely opaque, completely unaccountable and uh and have you know, caused a convulsion in what we think of as democracy. And I would argue doesn't really, you know, it's a very big question about whether that still exists in that in this online world. Was that did that work?
Speaker 2: It did work? But it's pretty heavy. I mean it's very it's quite heavy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's quite heavy. I mean it it's this this, I mean, it's it's amazing. Actually, weirdly, as I have this thing of that, I actually weirdly feel more cheerful right now than I did for really long periods of this time. And it's because the threat is now visible, right that the at least done us all a favor in like oh okay, Silicon Valley, these tech companies, what they're doing. What the aar like, the centralized power, the totally unaccountable power. We now get it in a way. Yes, we're sparing on the journey. I feel like we're now starting on the journey of at least getting it.
Speaker 2: So you had an incredible TED talk that where you talked about techno authoritarianism, right, that's what it really is, getting your data, using it to control you meet, you know, sort of the worst of authoritarianism and the worst of data mining coming together. You know, that's the Elon Musk part and the Heritage Foundation part coming together to rule the world. Talk us through kind of how you got to this thesis.
Speaker 6: I don't think it's a thesis. I think it is reality.
Speaker 2: I mean, no, no, but it is reality. But it's yeah, yeah, yeah. To sum it up, sort of, you know, to sum it up is that we live in a surveillance society.
Speaker 6: Right. Every single thing, our entire econ, the entire online economy is predicated on knowing what we're up to online and tracking that and monetizing that, and that underpins these you know, trillion dollar tech companies. That's their model, that's what they're based on. They're based on knowing who we are, and they know who we are by gathering this data about us, and you can everybody was sort of like had different. Oh I don't care anyway, Like I don't care about my privacy. It doesn't manter to me. Oh, I've got nothing to hide like That was the sort of mentality which built Silicon Valley, but now Silicon Valley is it's you know, we've seen this merger take place between Silicon Valley and the most powerful superpower in the world, and those two things have now come together. And so that power that all see being all knowing power coming together with a superpower with nuclear weapons, which is reshaping the world order. This is if you're not terrified, it is because you are not paying attention. And I actually I feel really bad saying that because I am based here in London and I am one degree removed from what is happening in America. But it's only one degree removed. You don't have to apologize for things not being as bad where you are than where we are. And I think we talked when we were talking offline before you were saying, you actually feel a little better. And I actually feel a little better too because some of the stuff we saw. And I had a similar experience with Project Toy twenty five, which is I was like, holy shit, this is going to gut the entire federal government, Like if they enact this, it is going to be the end of rural hospitals and we're all nursing homes and this and that, and I was like, and the you know, administrative state, I mean, the goal is to dismantle everything you get from the federal government. And now that it's happening, I'm like, oh, I'm not crazy, Like this was actually what it was. And I feel like you have that same thought. So I've been Britain's premier conspiracy theorist for a decade. I mean I sort of hold that title. I've been a cultural hate figure because I investigated Brexit, which you know, it was an it was a totally evidence based journalistic investigation. However, because it was into a political matter with such divisiveness in Britain, I got tird and smeared and feathered, trd and smothed and feathered. I was like hung out to dry and multiply harassed and all the rest of it. Because the way of undermining my reporting was to undermine me, and the way of undermining me was to go after me in this very personal, misogynistic way. And yeah, the conspiracy theory of around this stuffs has been you know, it's kind of interesting. I actually haven't had that for a little while. I mean, I'm sure it will come back to another footwear but it turned out it turned out it wasn't a conspiracy theory, it was a conspiracy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, and I mean I think that's like Brexit is a great example because it's over and it's clearly was a disaster. Right. They didn't want Polish plumbers coming into the country, so they sanctioned themselves and it's been a complete disaster, right.
Speaker 6: I wish I could say that's the thing is is that we haven't because of the sort of nobody has any consensus of reality anymore, because of the way that the tech platforms, the way that we consume information. So there is no consensus of reality in Britain that Brexit was a disaster to such to such a degree that our left, supposedly left wing labor government can't even talk about this. Right, that's still is of a boaten subject which they just don't want to go near. Because also in Britain, our media landscape is totally dominated by still powerful less powerful than it was, but it's still powerful right wing, corporate and sort of oligarchic media and they you know, they've made the political agenda for years, for decades, and they still have this sort of huge amount of power that way, So yeah, so sadly, sadly, although by every demonstrable, demonstrable and measurable index, yes, it has been a disaster, but we still can't get people to own that.
Speaker 2: That is so incredibly sharking way, But okay, I want you to talk about the data and what it looks like to you. So in twenty sixteen it was Facebook. I think of Mark Zackerberg as like significantly more evil than Elon Musk, despite the fact that Elon Musk reads us more evil than Mark Zuckerberok, because Elon Musk and again this is this idea, So Elon Musk is out about what he's doing, so talk to us about that.
Speaker 6: Why So I'm really curious, why do you think Zuckerbog's more evil? Go and give me we.
Speaker 2: All because he pretends to not be evil. Whereas Elon is like full on, you know, we want you know, for you know, it's like, why do these four people get food when we could just be giving tax cuts to huge corporations, Whereas I feel like Mark Zuckerberg is like, we're here to connect everyone. We are here for connection, and then it's like and the Rahingan genocide.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, ye know.
Speaker 6: Also as well, it's got. The thing about Zuckerberg is that there's a slight of hand with him in you know, they keep renaming shits, so it's refused to call it meta. I'm still calling it Facebook. They renamed it meta to sort of like wipe the stink off all the Facebook scandals. But I'm sorry that I'm not flying with And the slides of hand is that Facebook is Facebook, it's Instagram, it's WhatsApp, it's and those people always forget that.
Speaker 2: You always have.
Speaker 6: These youngsters saying, oh, I'm not on Facebook, I don't having things to do meta, and it's like, yeah, do us. Of course they use Instagram, so it's and then of course, you know and like I am I have of boten policy on you know too, And now i am I'm on WhatsApp and actually I've just joined Instagram. He in terms of the world's population and use of product his products, yeah, he does win. And that's there is actually global domination there. And you know, there is a really interesting case happening at the moment, which is they are looking to break up anti trust.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the anti trust thing.
Speaker 6: And of course it's not a coincidence that he's cozying up to Trump, right, I mean, it's he's got a lot to lose. He's got a lot to lose. I think the difference is is that back in twenty sixteen, the reason why that was such a moment and why he was so culpable is because it was Facebook, which was where politics, where campaigning was being conducted. That we had much more centralized sort of social media landscape at that time. Now it's much more scattered. There's so many other it's you know, there's there's the guy, yeah, the TikTok of it in the YouTube and all the rest of it. Like that's where a lot of the sort of money is being spent. Now, what's interesting about this Cambridgealytics. It's a good thing in a way. It's a model. It's a parable for what Musk has been doing inside the government, which is that you know, Cambra Reganalystic. It was hoovering up this Facebook data to then to then build algorithms to to really understand who these people were to then target them politically. So why is Musk hoovering up all of this data from inside government? What's he doing?
Speaker 4: It?
Speaker 6: The most valuable resource in the world for you know, the competition the game now is all AI. You want to build the best AI, you know, that's where the race is on. And to build the best AI, you need the best sources of data. And here he you know, has been inside the US government with absolutely kidd in a candy shop with you know, the entire population's highly highly sensitive different pieces of data, including financial and social security and all the rest of it. That's the thing I find the most terrifying in the sense like you capture that, you capture the future in a way.
Speaker 2: On Twitter already we're seeing like fake tweet by fake people. So what's the But just explain to me the goal here. Fake people create fake tweets that real people read and think that more people believe something than really do.
Speaker 6: I mean, just explain to me. It's basically it's because it's a very complex landscape. And it was really funny. There was this quite senior political journalist during the Brexit years. He was just he went was on some political program and he said, a Russian bot didn't tell my granny to vote for Brexits, and that was his why this is all a load of rubbish and it just like it the way that the different ways that there's sort of these mechanized forms work and now so much more sophisticated because of AI. Is a lot of what they're doing is manipulating reality. So the cast on Twitter would be those nameless people and things they would like, you know, they'd glom onto different hashtags. You get the hashtags to trend and then and then real people look to see what's happening. It's ways, you know, there's lots of different ways of manipulating people's sentiments and we don't realize it's invisible, but they do really impact things like the news agenda.
Speaker 2: So here's a question for you, because I definitely have you know, I come from internet circa nay, I come from the nineties, right, and and what has happened with me is I've just stopped trusting doing things I see online. So if I see a picture of Donald Trump as the pulp, I don't assume Donald Trump is the new pulp because I know that there's and you know, AI looks a little different. You can tell what it is. But is that isn't that what everyone is just going to not trust anything because there's no fact checking.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's and that's what we're seeing happening. I mean, that's where and this loss of trust which goes along with that is a loss of trust in everything, isn't It's a loss of trust in institutions, It's a lot of trust in news organizations with it, It's a lot of trust in you know, government bodies. This is across the board. And you know that's that in itself is terrifying, isn't it? And you know, this is where I sort of say, it's that we these terms which we started learning in twenty and sixteen, misinformation and disinformation, like that's gone like forget that now like this is you know, I sort of talk about sort of total information collapse like this now we are in total information chaos and that's you know, it's it's it's it's why it's so hard for any of us to like process and navigate what on earth is going on, because we just face this chaotic cacophony of voices and noise and you know, funny memes and cat video and but you know, weirdly, Molly, I actually do feel like there is something here which gives me. It's bizarre, how like more optimistic I am at the moment than I will meet because now that we can see the problem, and now we can see the crisis, we can actually now start thinking about solutions. That's the thing. And so it is this like out of crisis comes opportunities. So for me, and it's kind of what I've a particular skin in this game. But for me, what's now so important is that we have to build proper independent media that people trust. Right, And we've seen the way that these big corporates, you know in America bowing down to Trump. They you know, they can't stand up things They've got, you know, their theme park to worry about.
Speaker 7: Right, and their space stuffing Molly is to you, aren't they like this is the kind of this is where the you know, actually you've got to be out there, like being popular than Joe Rogan Molly.
Speaker 6: That is now your job.
Speaker 2: I have to tell you. The funniest part though, just on this information idea is I started putting on Instagram like tweets that I thought were important for people because I knew that there were a lot of people who couldn't stay on Twitter anymore and that there were things that were relevant and important that they might never see. I mean, this is the fundamental problem. So I started putting them on Instagram. And I was at White House Correspondence weekend like two weeks ago, and a number of like real television people like anchors and you know whatever intellect We're like, I find your Instagram very useful. But that's because like the problem is, we don't have a great aggregation entering anymore. Yes, so it is like we are like it's and unless you spend twelve hours a day online, which luckily I do, you don't have like a pastisee yeah, of everything that is happening. So you miss like, you know, you miss Elon Musk melting down about his you know, possible child with the possible influencer, you know what I mean. You miss all of that, and then you'll see something else and it won't make sense because you won't have the entire story.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's so funny because my first Instagram post was like a screenshot of my tweet. Okay, Yeah, it was very funny because a friend saw it and she was like, she was like no, she was like, no, you need to be like you need to be showing your eyebrows and like doing a selfie with like and I was like.
Speaker 2: No, anyway, is culture is downstream of politics. Politics culture discussed.
Speaker 6: So this was yeah. So I used this line in my Ted talk, which is Steve, I say, Steve Bannon's.
Speaker 2: Bannon, but it's really from bray Bar. It's from me.
Speaker 6: It's I think this thing which is that most people honestly don't care about politics, and but yet you know they're not watching the political news, they're not watching the political pundits. This isn't where the important stuff is being discussed, but where the thing which ahead of the you know, the election, the us that it's the podcast bros, like it's the YouTube bros. And at the moment those bros who are on browie platforms with algorithms built by bros to which prioritizes bro content, that is where the sort of conversation is. That's where the dial is shifting, and that is culture, and that for me is the sort of key thing about it. To go back to the tech of it, right, which is the YouTube algorithm, kind of terrifies me in that way. YouTube is the round zero of the manosphere, and misogyny is wrapped up in everything that we're seeing now. But I feel that like in order to reclaim that space, we need people like you out talking to and for as many people listening to you as possible. And yeah, we have to in order to reclaim the politics, we need to kind of first regain the culture. And part of the way that we have to reclaim the culture, the long view is we need to build better platforms which are not owned by these terrible Silicon Valley tech companies. That's a long yep.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited, thank you, thank you, thank you. This was amazing. I really appreciate you just exactly what I want to talk about. So thank you, thank you for having.
Speaker 6: Me on and I really forward to seeing you in London and talking about your.
Speaker 2: Book now perfectly, Jesse Cannon.
Speaker 3: PI judged fast. Who would have thought that the Supreme Court repealing the Voting Rights Act back in the day would not go so well and things would be bad.
Speaker 2: I would not have thought that. I actually would have thought that. I am not surprised if Federal court ruled Thursday that Alabama engaged in intentional discrimination when it refused to draw a congressional plan with a second black majority district. After courts, including the Supreme Court, repeatedly rejected maps with one such district when the finding the courts that it would consider whether to put by the way Alabama is this is they are fuck it. I mean, let's just look at the Alabama senators for a minute. Okay, Tommy Tuberville, Right, that guy he didn't even live in Alabama, Right, he lives somewhere else. Tommy Tubervel, Katie britt Right, Alabama is a super diverse state. These Republicans are just trying to hold onto power here. Of course, they're jerrymandering, they're trying to hold onto power. They're doing all of the tricks that we know so well, and it's just, you know, there we go. So the Voting Rights Act opened, you know, this is Roberts. Roberts is how we got here, right, cutting away at the Voting Rights Act, this is how we got here. So if Democrats win back the political zeitgeist, we're going to need desperately to enact anti corruption laws. We're going to need desperately to end partisan jerrymandering. It is the moment for them. That's it for this episode Fast Politics. Tune in every Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to hear the best minds and politics make sense of all this chaos. If you enjoy this podcast, please send it to a friend and keep the conversation going. Thanks for listening.