Speaker 1: Hey, everyone, this episode of Boy Meets World is called the Eskimo. We have talked about it briefly in a previous podcast episode, but we are not gonna mention it throughout the episode. But we are aware that the term eskimo is a derogatory term seen by many as offensive. So it was recorded during a different time and we're not going to harp on it through the episode, but we did just want to acknowledge that we know it is not a term that would be used today.
Speaker 2: So I don't know if either of you are aware of this, but I'm I'm married a woman named Susan, beautiful woman, and we have a dog named Sammy. Nice and yeah, you're going to meet her some day, both the dog and my wife. You're gonna like them both. And so we walk Sammy twice a day. I usually walk her in the morning, Susan joins me. Sometimes. That conversation when Susan Susan joins me in the morning is usually normal husband wife stuff. What what are we eating later in the day, what's your day look like? Normal stuff like that. At night when we walk her after dinner, we've started to throw questions out at each other that spark entirely new conversations.
Speaker 3: Wow, spicing it up, spicing it up, and.
Speaker 2: Exactly this is after dinner. Let's talk about the dinner we just midnight exactly.
Speaker 3: So I have I have saved three of my favorite.
Speaker 2: Questions that have sparked conversation that I would like to throw out to the two of you. Oh, I love this great so question. The first, Okay, you wake up tomorrow morning and there's a billion dollars in your bank account. What is the first billion dollar baller thing you do? And it can't be like we pay off our mortgage, we put a put aside college. What's a frivolous baller thing you buy or do or change your life with the money you find in your account tomorrow.
Speaker 4: I mean, it can't just be like buying a second home is.
Speaker 2: No, mean it can if you're like, we've always wanted a home in London or something, so yeah, I mean you could. You could definitely do something like that. Some people it's the private jet, some people it's the boat. Like. The reason I'm asking is because Sue and I had exactly the same answer instantaneously.
Speaker 5: Really hold on, let me se if I can guess movie theater, buy your own movie theater.
Speaker 4: No, okay, your own buffet close? Are you serious? Private chef, private.
Speaker 2: Private chef, twenty four hour private chef, like full time private chef, every meal cater to perfectly cooked. Would be our first billionaire ball.
Speaker 5: And you would never do a private jet because it wouldn't be big enough to make you comfortable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even to me, that's they're kind of a waste of money. The new the jets out there, like the Delta United with the apartments on them. I get those nice. I'd fly on those, So that's ours would be, would be a private jef.
Speaker 5: Wow, don't really my okay, Like my real answer is just like acreage specific Northwest, like a bunch of acreage as much as I could, just like Oregon. Yeah, oh yeah, like land with water that is not going to burn and be very valuable and you know, uh, fifty years when no one can live in Los Angeles anymore.
Speaker 4: That's like the practical answer.
Speaker 5: But no, the the really ridiculous answer is I would love to have brand new socks to wear every day, Like if.
Speaker 2: Every rest of your life, if I could just.
Speaker 5: Open up a brand new pair of like clean, brand new socks, and put them on every day because I've had that thought.
Speaker 4: I'm like every I hate I don't know, I just love the idea of like, oh, these are brand news socks. That's my ridiculous answer.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 1: A private chef's a really good one. I did think jet. I did think jet, but also I thought pretty high up there with private jet or private chef was diamond grill.
Speaker 4: Smiled. I had to look at a diamond grill. I was so disappointed. Would suck?
Speaker 1: I kind of want like the dentures version of a diamond grill.
Speaker 4: What about like diamond shoes?
Speaker 5: What if you could get like like diamond and crustalis or something like that, because then you can.
Speaker 1: Take well, maybe I would just put one diamond in each tooth.
Speaker 3: So my real ty just the diamond in. But with diamonds oh.
Speaker 4: Man, I find I find it so distracting.
Speaker 3: Me too, But I get that nose rings.
Speaker 2: I just then stare at your nostril the whole time someone a nose rings.
Speaker 4: I'm usually pretty cool with.
Speaker 3: What about diamond things?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, okay, vampire those are good though, Okay, okay, actually, wait, what.
Speaker 4: Am I thinking?
Speaker 5: I mean a library? Obviously I want like you know, the full on beauty.
Speaker 4: In the library with with with the one of the ladders of course, just just just like a whole separate Okay, so land somewhere in the Pacific Northwest that is just a giant library. And then like a little cabin I can live in, but then it's.
Speaker 2: A cabin next to giant library.
Speaker 4: Get to my own perfect beautiful like research libraries.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right. Question the second you come into a room and the room is empty, there's two switches, it's about time. Yeah, no, it gets worse. It gets so much worse. There's two switches and you have to switch one of them on. One of them fills the room with spiders. The other one fills the rooms with snakes. Oh which one do you do?
Speaker 1: Super easy for me, snakes, super easy, don't even have to think.
Speaker 2: But I do snakes too, Yeah, absolutely, Yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Mean I don't love spiders at all, like I definitely, but a whole room really tell.
Speaker 3: Me this question? I feel I feel attacked. I feel attacked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have my legs and grill, and anytime we talk about anything, anytime there's spiders mentioned, I assume they're all under whatever wherever my legs are that I can't see, and now I'm scared to even be sitting in my house.
Speaker 5: Which is there any sort of size parameters? Are we talking spiders as big as a fist?
Speaker 3: I'm not going to be like spiders?
Speaker 4: Or is it just a diversity of.
Speaker 3: Can I can I take my headphones off while suck?
Speaker 5: I can't do the spiders have hair if they have hair, but Danielle has taken off her headphones.
Speaker 4: By the way, is.
Speaker 1: Now officially you let me know, you give me thumbs up, you make them give you the things.
Speaker 2: Up when we're done talking about the spiders.
Speaker 5: So really, what we're talking about here is Raiders of the Lost Dark versus Temple of Doom.
Speaker 3: Correct, because it was bugs exactly.
Speaker 2: And and I think it's because Danielle can't hear what we're saying. So we're just talking like and the fangs are coming in like this, and she has no idea what we're talking, locking her eyes too. Okay, good, all right, so we all.
Speaker 4: Right, I don't know. I think I I think I might actually go spiders.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, we're good, We're good, everybody's answered there, we go, Okay, question the third and this one. We loved this one, but this one is very It takes some thought, excluding the day you were married or the birth of your children, and knowing you can't change anything, what is the one day in your life you'd like to relive?
Speaker 4: Oh, can't change anything.
Speaker 5: I really did have the thought this summer that I was living like the greatest day of my life.
Speaker 4: I might have told you guys about it, or even talked about on the podcast. I don't remember.
Speaker 5: But like, we woke up next to the Salmon River. We had you know, just sort of boon dock like camp out, and woke up just you know, the three of us in our van, woke up, made some food, drove a couple of miles to the spot, the secret spot that a friend of mine had shared with me on Google Maps, and he was like, you should stop here.
Speaker 4: And this is an Idaho. He's like, you should stop here. This is a great hot spring. And you know, Indy was like, didn't want to have to hike, and we were like, no, no, let's go. Let's go.
Speaker 5: And we hiked like two miles to just about like a quarter mile of cascading waterfalls nestled in this beautiful mountainous valley and the waterfalls were hot springs, so they were like one hundred and five degrees and it was just like one of the most gorgeous, like satisfying ends to a hike.
Speaker 4: And then we like you know, had we had packed.
Speaker 5: A lunch and we ate lunch and hung out in this pool and the view was incredible, and it was just being with my family and and then you know, going back to our van, hitting the road and doing another day.
Speaker 4: But it was just like one of those like perfect days.
Speaker 5: And I was sitting there like when we got back from the Hot Springs, I turned to Alex I was like, I think this might be the happiest day of my life. Wow, And just like so, you know, I'm so in love with my wife, I'm so just proud of my son and just having a great time. I was like, oh, so, I don't know, Like, yeah, that's and that was only you know, two months ago or whatever.
Speaker 3: That's a good one. It is a good one, Danielle.
Speaker 2: What do you got.
Speaker 3: Nothing but jealousy for a day like that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, sounds like a good day. I haven't had one of those days in a while. Uh Man, I don't know, that's really hard. I think I would. I think it would probably be.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I'm just between.
Speaker 1: It is tough because obviously, now that I have kids, all of my best days of like, I can't imagine wanting to relive a day that didn't involve them. But also, I think, knowing what I know now about and being an adult, there are probably days that I had as a kid that I would appreciate way more now to relive now, because I would be like, Wow, you know I wanted to be an adult so bad when I was a kid.
Speaker 3: Please, I just want to be an adult. I just want to be an adult.
Speaker 1: And I do love being an adult. I do think being an adult is better than being a kid. But I so didn't appreciate being a kid that I feel like maybe.
Speaker 3: I should have appreciated that more. So it's tough.
Speaker 1: It's I also don't think my best days of parenting are behind me. I still feel like my best days of parenting, at least my hope, if even in general for my own life, I'm always like, listen, my best days are still in front of me. So if I think about days I've had with my kids thus far, although some of them have been great. I think my best ones are still ahead of me, so I don't know that i'd want to relive any of the ones I've had now. I think I would pick something for my childhood. It would probably be something from the Boy Meets World time. I would probably relive one of those, you know, the final Tape night, or one of the days that we got to go to Disneyland, you know, like when they shut the park down and it was a yeah, and I got to be with friends, and you know, I would probably be one of those. I don't know that I can think of a specific day, but something like.
Speaker 3: That about you.
Speaker 2: Mine is definitely I see that. Mine came right to my head right away. It's, you know, other than the day I got married, which again which is why you exclude it, is the day I got Boy Me Twirl is arguably the happiest day of my life. I was with my dad. We were in Hollywood. You know, now that you live here, it's like, oh, okay, you're in Hollywood and you're by the the Groumand's Chinese Theater and you see the handprints and it's kind of like it's old hat now. But I'm sixteen. I just you know, pick up a payphone and call my agent pack in New York, thinking I had a terrible audition. He says, you got it, and my dad and I are jumping up and down in the street. I know the show has already been picked up for thirteen episodes. It's not like we're shooting a pilot. It was magic. It was magic. It's the only way I can describe it. So that day, I think, is the day that I would want to I mean, there's a ton and unlike Danielle, all my best days are behind me every day since Benett Tie for Downhill, but this is that day. Awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So what's interesting to me is like, you know, I kind of had those moments with previous jobs before pointings.
Speaker 4: Work right, like where I got something I was like, yes, this is the best job, and then of course the project doesn't work out, doesn't get picked up, and so I don't think of that.
Speaker 5: So it's interesting that your pick is still like a resounding effect within your life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, like definitely, Yeah, that's it. So those are those are walking questions and as more build up, I will continue to keep the good ones. Yeah, and we will we will go from there. I promise no more of the S word.
Speaker 1: Danielle, Okay, thanks, I can't handle any of those. I really have to check.
Speaker 2: Out rhymes with riders.
Speaker 5: I won't.
Speaker 1: I won't.
Speaker 2: I won't do that anymore.
Speaker 4: I promise, Thank you.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it. Welcome to Pod meets World. I'm Danielle Fischel, I'm Spiderstrong.
Speaker 2: I will Fordell.
Speaker 1: So welcome to today's episode. We are recapping season five, episode thirteen, the Eskimo. It originally aired January sixteenth, nineteen ninety eight.
Speaker 2: We're in ninety eight, We're in the eights? Were in the remember the eights?
Speaker 3: I kind of the synopsis.
Speaker 1: Sean tries to win tickets to the Super Bowl while Eric and Jack search for compatible soulmates. It was directed by Lisa Gottlieb, her one and only episode of Boy Meets World. She is best known as the director of the nineteen eighty five comedy Just One of the Guys, but also was involved in the casting of the classic.
Speaker 3: Blues Brothers movie.
Speaker 1: This was her last credited job directing, but she went into the world of teaching, film and TV. What Stops at Columbia and the University of Miami, and it was written by Jeff Manel. Do you want to talk about our overall thoughts?
Speaker 2: First of all, I don't know how. I didn't know at the time that she directed Just One of the Guys. Just One of the Guys is one of the greatest movies that does not hold up even slightly in the world nowadays. But it was.
Speaker 4: I don't know what it is.
Speaker 2: Oh god, Just one of the Guys is one of those bad eighties high school movies. So what it is. It's about a girl who's writing for her school paper, and the school paper in the school that she's at doesn't want to print any of her articles. So to write a good article, she dresses like a boy and goes to another high school chick like me, essentially with way more misogyny, a nudity, and weirdness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's most kind of known as for like, the first place people of.
Speaker 3: That age saw boobs for the.
Speaker 2: First time, it was it was it's up there with Revenge of the Nerds, where you look back and you're like, ooh, this doesn't age well at all.
Speaker 4: But it's Just.
Speaker 2: One of the Guys, so that, Yeah, I'm surprised I didn't get a chance talk with her about that. Well, to answer your question, I did not like this episode. Uh oh, I was not was not a fan.
Speaker 4: Wasn't Lisa part of the Disney a fellowship?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was a directing fellowship where they would bring directors who hadn't done television along and they would shadow for a couple episodes and then sometimes get an episode.
Speaker 4: So I remember her.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that's why she was around, because I remember her being around before, and then.
Speaker 4: It kind of being a big deal that she was doing an episode. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I honestly did not even remember being I thought I was not in this episode. When I remember the people talking about the the Eskimo, you were like, I'm not even in that one.
Speaker 3: I'm like, this is gonna be great.
Speaker 2: I get to sit back and watch and I and and I didn't hate it by any stretch. My favorite to Panga so far. I thought you, Danielle were great. I thought your physical comedy was really really good. They gave you something to do, you were part of the crew.
Speaker 3: Loved that.
Speaker 2: I thought the Feenie storyline of what he was actually trying to teach I found to be very muddled in this episode. I didn't I didn't really get it. What happens at the end wasn't the assignment. I don't I don't get what Phoenie was trying to teach. I found that to be very strange. And then the bat story was kind of thrown in, so it was we've had some bangers in a row, and it's very hot. When I was watching this episode, I'm sure that didn't make me feel good either. Thirty eight degrees here at the house.
Speaker 3: H'm murky.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't it. I didn't hate it, but it wasn't my favorite.
Speaker 5: This is this is one of those episodes that people mentioned to me a lot and I don't really remember, and I'm always kind of surprised that it's like a touchstone.
Speaker 4: Episode for yeah, some of our fans. And I remember thinking, like, oh, right, there was that Eskimo episode.
Speaker 5: What was that about? Like what was going on? And then I remembered, of course the Super or Bowl scene because we just had so much fun doing that one. Yeah, but like connecting it, like why were we trying to get Super Bowl tan? You know?
Speaker 4: And so so it was I was excited.
Speaker 5: I did to rewatch it. I ended up watching it twice. I find this to be a very strange episode. I just think it's weird. And yeah, I mean we can get into why hopefully while we're in it, But it was it was really off putting to me the first time I watched it through, and that's why I wanted to watch it again. I liked it better the second time. So this might be the first episode that I've watched twice in a row for this podcast, and so it's it's really interesting.
Speaker 4: It doesn't feel it feels unusual. It feels like a distinct episode.
Speaker 5: And I think that for some of our fans it might be their favorite or one of their best.
Speaker 4: But for me, I was just like, I don't I don't know how I feel about this.
Speaker 5: I think my big headline that I finally settled on is this felt like a Girl meets World episode. Ah interesting, and maybe you know, we can talk about why, but it felt like a Girl meets World episode to me.
Speaker 3: Interested You're right.
Speaker 1: I didn't think about that, but you're right, it does feel like a Girl meets World episode. I thought I did not remember that Lisa had been part of the Disney Fellowship program, but I thought there were some To me, it was very obvious that it had been directed perhaps by a first timer or someone who had never at least never directed our show before.
Speaker 4: Completely different camera style.
Speaker 1: Completely different camera style, camera style usually when you've got a show that's going, that's successful and doing well. One of the greatest aspects of what we do, and I hope that our listeners have felt it through this podcast, is the collaborative nature of.
Speaker 3: What we do.
Speaker 1: It is a group of people who are great at what they do, who love TV, who love the entertainment industry, all coming together to support the same goal, which should be putting out the best quality project you.
Speaker 4: Can version story that you can't hYP and.
Speaker 1: This and in this episode, I thought, some of what is taking me out of being able to pay attention to the episode were some of the camera choices which maybe just felt more film style and not multi camera style. And I thought, I wonder why no one said, let's let's do this, let's reblock, let's back up.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but either some of the blocking was really blocking.
Speaker 1: It was strange and it yeah, I I I do remember filming and loving that kitchen scene, the super Bowl scene so much fun.
Speaker 3: When you get to talk about chucked across the room. I do.
Speaker 2: I was rounded. I was like, is there some kind of matt I don't see because she's getting just tossed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it was. It was so much fun. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So okay, well let's we'll we'll get into detail as we go. Let's jump into our guest stars. We have Tico Wells as a morning Zoo host DJ Johnny Latte. He appeared in movies like Universal Soldier and The Relic, and some classic TV shows like The Cosby Show two two seven and The Drew Carey Show.
Speaker 3: Versal Soldier That's where I knew him from.
Speaker 2: Oh my Gosh, she dies horrible death and Universal Soldier. That's a van dam movie. Okay, he gets he gets held down to the chair and a needle is thrust right through his face, back up through his head and out comes out his cheek.
Speaker 3: Ooh, that's a big needle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Dolph Lundgren does bad things to that guy.
Speaker 3: That's okay. From Okay, we have Mindy Spence's Jill.
Speaker 1: She was also seen in Step by Step, Seventh, Heaven, That seventy Show, and King of Queen's and appears to have left the business in two thousand and five.
Speaker 3: We also have.
Speaker 1: Carolyn or Caroline Keenan as Carol. She was another nineties TV regular with stops on Home Improvement, Step by Step, and Friends, and was also seen in the Replacements and most notably The Day After Tomorrow.
Speaker 2: She's great. She's done a ton of stuff. She's great.
Speaker 1: We have Greg Collins as Freezing Guy. Greg was an All American football player at Notre Dame who went on to play in the NFL for the forty nine Ers, Bills and the Seahawks, only to become a prolific character actor and stuntman. Listen to these nineties blockbusters. He appears in The Rock, Armageddon, Independence Day, con Air, Godzilla, and Enemy of the State. It reads like a list of Danielle's favorite movie It is seriously, yes, was.
Speaker 5: He like an on camera actor or a stunt performer in those movies?
Speaker 2: Both?
Speaker 4: Both? Both both question yeah, I want to have had many lines both Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's The second I saw him, I was like, oh, this guy was in everything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he looks so familiar.
Speaker 5: Besides, yeah, it's funny because I mean I obviously worked with him in this scene.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I was also like, no, I know him from somewhere else.
Speaker 2: Too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's interesting.
Speaker 1: We have Glenn Chin as Eskimo, another character actor best known for his work in fifty First Dates, Natural Born Killers and as the sumo wrestler and Naked Gun thirty three and a third. Glenn passed away in twenty eighteen at the age of seventy, and then our beloved stand in Matt Kirkwood returns to the show, this time as Lunatic John do.
Speaker 4: You think it actually said in the scripture? And one Lunatic?
Speaker 1: Then Max Miller as Bobby, So we jump into our recap. In Phoenie's classroom, Phoene is passing out graded papers and calls out Sean, he never turned his in. Corey pipes up he can explain. Phoene stops him he was speaking to mister Hunter. Corey continues, anyway, Sean and I think so much alike that we decided to write one paper. Phoene responds, then you wouldn't mind sharing your grade. Sean's into it and enthusiastically asks what they got. Phoene says it was a well thought out paper, so it deserves a B. Sean nods, very fair. Phoene proceeds divided by two and then he rips the paper in half. They now both get a D.
Speaker 3: It is upset. It's yeah, funny.
Speaker 1: Also, I did that math exactly the same way, and I was like, I'm not sure how math with letters really make sense, but but it does.
Speaker 3: It works.
Speaker 4: But well it does.
Speaker 5: You can translate GPA out of grade letters to pronounce what four point is good. So there's a formula for figuring this out.
Speaker 2: Okay, Now, so we're back to Sean not wanting to go to college.
Speaker 4: I'm so, I'm so my head was spinning.
Speaker 5: I'm like, where are we ex Seawan was going to college and upset that Corey wasn't going to the same one. I was just like, oh, we're just resetting, yeah, trying to go went to college before and then was going to study with Feenie.
Speaker 2: That was how Nity walked back into the classroom. So it's again now the Sean going to college or not going to college is just whatever they need for the episode at the.
Speaker 5: Time, right, which is only a I mean, it's season five is just a little dizzy because season four had Eric's wanted to get into college as a consistent arc, you know, and and how he was trying to do it changed week to week, but it went from the beginning of the season not getting to college to the end of the season getting into college. Like that was such a whereas with this, yeah, there's there's just no trajectory.
Speaker 4: There's no clear trajector.
Speaker 1: It also eliminates stakes because you want to care or root for something, and like, if we know there's a goal in mind and there's that tension of but is it going to happen, this is just like hmmm, yeah, you'll see what we'll see what we need by the end.
Speaker 2: I also thought and again as the episode progressed and I saw how sean heavy an episode this was. It shows how well written Trina's character was and how important Trina's character was, which I found myself missing Angela because I was like, wait a minute, now we're talking about something super important with Sean and she's nowhere to be found, right.
Speaker 4: No reference to him even having a girlfriend, no talking.
Speaker 2: And yeah, you'd want I want to see these important life decisions now. Because the character is introduced so well and because there's such chemistry, I now want her involved in these stories.
Speaker 4: So I missed.
Speaker 2: I missed seeing Angela. Frankly, I was like that's weird. Little it's not even there, so yeah, it was weird.
Speaker 1: Corey's upset, but Seawan is smiling. All right, still fair. Corey won't take it, mister Feenie. It's the middle of our senior year. Why are you being so tough on us with these assignments. Phoene's also had enough. You're right, let's forget about those d's. Make it to F's t Panga gets involved, begging mister Feene not to fail them. Phoene sighs ah. The Third Musketeer chimes in to Panga insists and f follows you around for the rest of your life. Corey's figured it out. We'll take your d's. Our college applications are already in. Sean mutters, yeah, well yours are. Corey is shocked, especially since he filled out Shawn's applications for him. Sean rolls his eyes. Don't start. What's the point People like me don't go to college. So yeah, this is We've already had this conversation. Also, you went to college and.
Speaker 4: You loved it college.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, Phoene explains, do your assignments, mister Hunter, and you'll go to college. Well maybe, but Sean wonders how he'll be able to afford it if he gets in. There's so many things standing in the way. I did appreciate this being a factor that could be in Shawn's mind. I did appreciate, yes, the introduction to the idea that it's not whether or not Sean just wants to or has the drive, to the actual reality of how will I even afford it? I would have to apply for grants and then loans and jobs, two jobs and working like that. I love bringing that in.
Speaker 4: Let's bring that them.
Speaker 3: Oh good question.
Speaker 1: How Sean paying for that big, old, fancy apartment that he's in that he's never never.
Speaker 2: There on the river with three bedrooms.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I guess is it is? It is the idea that Jack's covering.
Speaker 4: Might be helping a bit.
Speaker 1: Maybe, Yeah, Jack's paying for the apartment, so Sean's.
Speaker 3: Maybe the mob that he's.
Speaker 2: Still He's still dropping off boxes down by the docks, He's still working at Keller Mars. There's a lot going on.
Speaker 4: He's so busy, got that side gig as a surgeon.
Speaker 2: Babies, so much going on.
Speaker 4: What do you guys think was the pitch for this? A storyline? Like? What is the like what was the germ of the idea? Like what in the writer's room? What did they say? I The only thing I.
Speaker 5: Could think is like what if they have to stand on a billboard? Like is did they start with that or was it? Because it's it's a very bizarre set of circumstances to get us to a place where you do have some good scenes like this, the set piece of the billboard is interesting and kind of funny and weird, and then you have the great kitchen scene with the super Bowl like getting the super Bowl tickets and Topanga not being able to help. But I'm just wondering, like what the genesis of this storyline is, because it's it's it's really weird, right, why do you pitch it?
Speaker 2: How do you best in this episode?
Speaker 4: Yeah? What do you say?
Speaker 2: Like I don't know.
Speaker 5: Feenie is really hard on them and they have to defy their own characters, like you know, like what like oh, Corey's gotta not help Sean and and Tipanga's gotta stay out, you know, be quiet, and Sean's got to do something impossible on his own. Like that is such an abstract character based concept, and that's I think that's why it reminded me of Girl Meets World because I feel like Girl Meats World really lived in this zone of like self awareness of characters kind of spinning their wheels about their own characters, and like building a story out of those characters wheel spinning.
Speaker 4: And that's what this episode is.
Speaker 5: And it's it's not the same thing as a propulsive plot that reveals character.
Speaker 4: It's a plot built.
Speaker 5: Around characters and their flaws already and like then it doesn't even change them.
Speaker 4: It's a very it's a weird storytelling mode. I just can't.
Speaker 1: The Super Bowl this year in nineteen ninety eight was January twenty fifth, This air the sixteenth. I bet it was literally the same way they plan around holidays. They were like, let's see the Super super Bowl episode. Let's do an episode to air the Supertowl, and they have to get tickets and then it's like, well, what do they each have to do?
Speaker 3: And then you know, eight.
Speaker 2: Ninety eight, the bronc goes one.
Speaker 1: Right, Oh my god, will God will?
Speaker 4: That would be crazy.
Speaker 1: Let's see Bowl champ the Green Bay Packers versus the Denver Broncos. The Broncos defeated the Packers thirty one to twenty four?
Speaker 4: What was ninety nine? Who won? Ninety nine?
Speaker 3: Will?
Speaker 2: Who won in ninety n I don't remember ninety nine because ninety seven ninety eight was when John Elway finally won his two Super Bowls. That's why had those stick out. This was after the Cowboys run in the early nineties of what ninety three ninety four? So yeah, I don't remember who won A nine nine. Actually it might have been Green Bay. It might have won in ninety nine.
Speaker 1: No, it was the Broncos against the Falcons, and the Broncos won again.
Speaker 3: They so they won.
Speaker 2: Ninety seven ninety eight that's what it was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ninety eight ninety nine.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 1: Wow, another new thing we learned about Bill?
Speaker 3: Bill? Who's Bill?
Speaker 4: Who's Bill?
Speaker 5: Hi?
Speaker 3: Bill, Nice to meet you.
Speaker 2: It's nice to meet you too.
Speaker 4: It was good call.
Speaker 3: I'm not good Billy All Billy. Oh, that was originally supposed to be my name. Really, yeah, it's to be or Billy.
Speaker 2: But my brother's favorite show was Lost in Space, so they named me after Will Robinson Danger Will Robinson fro Lost in Space. I was named after a television character.
Speaker 4: Thought have you ever gone? By? William?
Speaker 2: When I do something wrong? Doesn't know that my older my mom calls me William, and my older brother Gary a lot of times.
Speaker 3: Calls that's cute.
Speaker 1: So Sean goes on to question why they're doing all these assignments in the first place. It's just busy work. What could we possibly be left to learn? Phoene gives him a death stare obviously disturbed by a comment like that. And right here is where some of the stuff started, where I was like, oh, new director. Here lots of super close shots, close up and blocked, weird blocking, and we're.
Speaker 5: Stacked at but where she brought the camera into the sephomore So we're inside the set doing these raking like two shots with close ups. It's a lot of singles, a lot closer. Everything is played as if it's a single camera show.
Speaker 2: Yes, all right, but it also looks like when you've got Danielle who's who's not the tallest person in the world, and you've got it stacked. It looks like she's trying to find her lens like I'm I'm leaning forward to be on camera the whole time. It was very off putting.
Speaker 4: My feeling is that we did not do this in front of a live audience.
Speaker 5: It feels it feels the lower energy and like a little over rehearsed to me, and you know, there's there's like a lack of an organic quality that usually follows a lot of our show, or that accompanies a lot of our show. And I couldn't help but think, oh, it's because because she was really worried about camera and like she was thinking about it more and again that reminded me of Girl Meets World, because when directing Girl Meets World, we did a lot of stuff to try and get these kinds of shots, because this is a more contemporary multi camera style, like you know nowadays they try and get single like Disney Channel would always be like I need to see both eyes of her character. You don't let play things play in a wide you know, to try and make it feel less like a play less theatrical that's become the more contemporary style. It feels weird and boy, like I miss the you know, the sort of big wide shots where you see everybody's reaction to each other.
Speaker 4: This is like I don't get to see Phoene's face until.
Speaker 5: It cuts to him, you know, when he and Danielle are come and it's like right, you want to. I like seeing people engaging with each other in the same shot. That feels like more boys.
Speaker 4: World to me.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, yeah, I agree. Corey begins the damage control. He just means, we've been here four years and there's nothing really left that you can teach us. This does not make Feenie any calmer. Sean is stunned. Whoa look at Phoenie, Man, Pheenie, you okay? Phoene's stare never breaks. Corey whispers, this is the moment we talked about. Sean nods, yeah, he's definitely gonna blow. Phoenie commands the boys stand up and asks the rest of the class to leave. Cory and Sean know this is bad. Tapanga tries to talk Feenie down. Can't you give them a makeup assignment instead of failing them? Feenie adds you'd better stay too, you little control freak, And I liked at least that finally we're just calling to Panga out for here's her new character.
Speaker 3: Control freak to Panga this.
Speaker 2: I thought I got optimistic at this point because I was like, ooh, angry Feenie. Something we haven't really seen a whole lot of Yeah, dressing down the kids for kind of being laxadaisical in class. And I was like, ooh, okay, this could really go somewhere, and then it kind of didn't, and I was like, right, oh okay.
Speaker 1: Right to Panga gasps and steps back. Phoene addresses the three of them. So, just because you sent in your college applications and nothing that I teach you from now on means anything to Panga nods. I was just having this discussion with them the other day. An angry Phenie interrupts her quiet. She whimpers, you yelled at me, But I'm Topanga and this again, this is very interesting blocking. I'm barely even in.
Speaker 3: The shot you can't see. It's like they you're on stilt trying to look around.
Speaker 2: It was we I mean, it makes me always wonder why this take, Like what are the other docks about? Like if this is the one you're using, it was right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So Phoene turns to Sean. I want this assignment brought to my house by five pm this afternoon. Sean's taken aback this afternoon today, that's impossible. Phoene walks towards his chalkboard. Corey's worried. Shawn is still shocked that Phoene asked him to do something completely impassive. He might as well ask him to come up with tickets to the super Bowl. Meanwhile, Phoenie has written impossible on the chalkboard. He tells Sean his new assignment is to come up with two tickets to the super Bowl by the end of the week. Corey laughs, this is completely ridiculous. Phoene cuts them off quiet. Corey frowns, You yelled at me, but I'm Topanga.
Speaker 2: That was funny.
Speaker 1: Tapanga asks mister Feenie why he's so upset, and Phoene tells her she has an assignment as well, but out of other people's lives for one week. Otherwise you get an f t Penga gasps again, but I've never failed before. Phoene tells her there's a first time for everything. Corey laughs. That argument doesn't get you anywhere with her. Great joke is a funny joke, gast joke of the show, of the episode, of the episode.
Speaker 3: That's a funny joke.
Speaker 1: And you know what's funny is that I didn't remember what the context of the joke was.
Speaker 3: I've seen that before.
Speaker 1: Like I've seen that, I've seen that written, I've seen people make like talk about that, and I have thought I don't find it funny. It's annoying that he constantly talking about how far he wants to get with the panga.
Speaker 3: It's just kind of annoying. I think it's kind of gross.
Speaker 2: And then the way.
Speaker 1: It was in the scene and the way I was like, that's funny, that's a good joke.
Speaker 3: That's a good job.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I don't know, really this is better than the Balkans or I think this is when soup, I mean when he says okay, sup.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, soup is great too.
Speaker 5: I wish Ben it held for like another five seconds, but it was such a great joke. And then even the guy saying you've ruined billboards for me. I know there's some witty stuff in this episode.
Speaker 2: There is, but that joke that to me is up there with like the I get I get as sick as you can get without.
Speaker 5: My favorite is that that Ben looks to me and I just give him the space like yeah, I heard you, like like he's somebody noticed, Like like it was almost like did you get it?
Speaker 4: Do you get it?
Speaker 5: Do you get I'm talking about talking about I'm talking about you know, and I just go, I gotcha, Like it's We're all I had of you, dude, Like that is that was funny?
Speaker 2: So funny.
Speaker 1: Now, Phoene addresses Cory, since you feel so responsible for your friends, I put their fate in your hands if either of them fails, So do you. With that, he storms out of the classroom, giving Sean a little shove and leaving the three in shock. Sean sarcastically says, thanks a lot to Panga, and that starts a little runner through the rest of the show.
Speaker 4: I think it was this scene Phoene walks out of a door that doesn't exist. He walked to the other side, like the door is behind the students to the classroom in this turn towards the turns towards the chalkboard, and they added a door sound. We've never seen a door over.
Speaker 3: There, you I've got I did not know.
Speaker 5: I was like, what you couldn't have him crossing? It was It's the weirdest thing. I was like, wait, what And then they I could tell they had to add a door sign because our door sound. And then what I realized is like, right, they couldn't show they were Actually it was a wing wall that she was shooting up in. That's why we're getting all those close ups that coverage, right. Honestly, think what happened is I think that she, coming from film, like a film perspective, was getting a lot more coverage than usual, and she was trying to get and when they got in the editing room, they were excited and they were like, look, we can see their faces. Let's use these shots, when, of course, sometimes it just is better just play the scene and a wide and like I think this confrontation with Phoenie and you like gasping, would have played better in a wide.
Speaker 4: But if you have this like cool looking shot that kind.
Speaker 5: Of feels a little more cinematic than normal episodes, I could see our producers or our executives at the studio or whatever being like.
Speaker 4: Let's use that shot, you know.
Speaker 5: So I feel like she might have provided too good of shots or too too you know, and in just too many options, too much coverage, Yeah, too many options, and then they use it and it kind of killed the energy.
Speaker 4: That's that was my take. I don't know, but anyway, I think what.
Speaker 5: Happened is she was in the set with the cameras and Phoene's exit, then you couldn't actually show his exit because there's no door there and he just walks off the set.
Speaker 4: So they added this door sound.
Speaker 2: I want to hear the door sound?
Speaker 1: Wait, why couldn't so even if she had a camera in the doorway. So that's obviously that's something you shoot as a special that's something you shoot as a pickup. You get the rest of the coverage you need, then you drive the camera up and you shoot through the door. Why couldn't they have gotten his exit before they brought the camera into the doorframe.
Speaker 4: Because there is no door. There is no door there. That's a point. They're pretending that there's a door.
Speaker 5: So I think it's can't can't it go out the other way?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I mean it's so it's interesting because then he.
Speaker 4: Would have crossed he would have crossed.
Speaker 3: Through, he would have to pass you guys.
Speaker 5: Like all of our faces and between just realized like it's better for if he abandons them by walking away, you know. Obviously it was like composition based, right, like the composition of the shot of a three or four shot that he exits by you know they liked that better, even though it made no directional logic with the actual.
Speaker 4: Set, so they went with it because of the That's what I mean. I think she was thinking more storyboards. She was thinking more.
Speaker 5: Like, this is a cool shot to just walk off here, and then there's no reason for him to walk that direction, so then they just add a door sound to make it clear that he's exiting.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Wow.
Speaker 1: Well Worth noting this episode would never be allowed in twenty twenty four as the Super Bowl has since become very litigious with media using their name in scripts or for promotional use. So unless they are an official sponsor or speaking about it for the news, you cannot say super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Oh come on in your programming? Yes, can you say Horse? Are you still allowed to say that? Because come on, that's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Oh that's why you hear so much talk about the Big Game for sweepstakes or on the radio, because the NFL sees any attention to the name as a violation of their trademark.
Speaker 5: All right, well, let's start a competition, a big yearly event called Horse. I love to get everybody together and we shovel Horse, and then we can sue everybody.
Speaker 4: Who ever uses that word.
Speaker 3: The word and we'll make millions.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll make millions, and all as a dirt pile and some horses.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: I will send cease and desist to everybody who tries to bring horse into their.
Speaker 3: Speaking of cease and desists. A lot of lawyers do.
Speaker 1: Argue that this is an overstep, saying they only have this ability for stores having things like a Super Bowl sale. The networks are just extra cautious.
Speaker 3: Anyway.
Speaker 1: In twenty fourteen, Stephen Colbert was still on Comedy Central and referred to it as the superb Owl.
Speaker 3: Okay, that works.
Speaker 1: There you go, same smelling, just putting the emphosis in a different place. So then we are in the guy's apartment. Eric is on the porch drinking coffee and reading a book. It's not the porch, it's the balcony. He's on the balcony, which is.
Speaker 4: Kind of a cool set. I know.
Speaker 2: I didn't think we ever went back out to the balcony. Yeah, which we're going to start using that, but no, I had again, didn't even think I was in this episode. So I was like, oh, oh there I am, Well there I am.
Speaker 5: Why did this need to be oh, because you find the girls, we find the girls. The idea is that these the girls that you find the end of the scene are the girls that you end up dating.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I think that's what they're going for.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Ok.
Speaker 1: The coffee pot placement needing to be on the edge on the balcony instead of from the table where you're sitting, just so we can have a reason to get you.
Speaker 3: All of it is so it would have been great.
Speaker 4: If at the end of the scene you accidentally knocked the coffee pop sorry.
Speaker 3: Killed her.
Speaker 2: I want the one, get the other one? Yeah, no, I mean there's so many Yeah, no, terrible, I mean, and it is, it is. It just was very forced, like, oh, the coffee is right over there.
Speaker 1: Jack walks outside to join him. I didn't hear you come home last night. Must have had a pretty good time with your date Eric aka Sparkly Vampire Edward Cohen thanks to some particularly bright lights. Did you not notice how pale and sparkly you know? Oh, yes, you you look like you've got you had a diamond facial you like, yes, it was.
Speaker 4: You smell his hand through the screen to smell.
Speaker 2: Him just maybe it was booty dust.
Speaker 3: It never nuts.
Speaker 2: It could be stripper booty dust. Maybe Eric was just out there enjoying the night.
Speaker 1: It was it was I was like, wow, there's also some new lighting. I'm not sure what's going on here, so he casually responds, the evening began at seven. It started with some intimate pre dinner conversation at a quaint, little Mexican place. I happened to know, came back here, and let's just say, my clothes were off within five minutes. The inmates in the audience hoot and holler at this thought, and then Jack corrects him while pouring from a coffee pot that I mentioned precariously resting on the ledge.
Speaker 3: You opened your big mouth.
Speaker 1: She walked out, yate alone at Taco Bell, came home, took off all your clothes, and were asleep by eight. Eric responds, how'd you do? That's that's funny. It's funny.
Speaker 4: It is one of the callback to the ripping your pants off because nobody is home. Yeah, bye bye pants.
Speaker 5: That's what he should have said, said, I'm home alone, bye bye pants.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Not to get off on a tangent. And we can make this just a yes or no naked sleeping yes or no, no, no.
Speaker 4: No, I used to, but not anymore.
Speaker 2: Underwear but I no, yeah, no no no naked sleeping bad.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would probably bring it back then we have, Now that we've talked about it, I might go to naked today.
Speaker 4: You know, what I noticed is that the first time I slept naked in my dreams, I was naked. Yeah. It was like which actually sounds kind of fun. All right, I'm gonna go for it. Tonight's the night. Bye bye underwear. All right. I love that.
Speaker 3: However you currently are whatever. Actually, okay, that's funny. Gosh, okay, jack'size not as good.
Speaker 1: The guys are frustrated, but agree it's not them, it's the women, all of them. Jack declares it's time to be more choosy, find women who are more compatible. Eric agrees, suggesting they embark on a mission to find their perfect companions, their soulmates. Just then, Jack looks over the balcony and notices some girls.
Speaker 3: What about them?
Speaker 1: Eric immediately starts yelling, hey, you too, No, not okay, you too.
Speaker 4: You too?
Speaker 3: It was funny, that's all funny.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I like I like this.
Speaker 1: I like this setup for a thing between Jack and Eric, and I love the idea that then it's just two randoms you pick, and I love it.
Speaker 2: This scene was funny.
Speaker 3: It was very funny.
Speaker 1: Then we're in the Matthew's kitchen to Pengishon and Cory are all stressed, gathered together and listening to the radio as we've never done.
Speaker 4: It's like that portable TV. Yeah we had in the kitchen counter.
Speaker 3: And I'm just like resting my arm on it.
Speaker 1: Like here we are the three friends Hayking hanging out from this radio.
Speaker 2: Let's go radioing.
Speaker 5: I actually was reminded of season one, the betting episode a couple of times, because we listen to the radio and that on the kitchen counter, and then we're jumping up and down grabbing the phone just like this. You're like, oh, this is kind of a fun callback to that Corey Shawn energy from season one.
Speaker 2: You're right, it is has just been the three of you in the kitchen together since season one.
Speaker 4: No, no, I'm.
Speaker 5: Also I don't think the three of us were ever just three of us in season one even.
Speaker 2: Well, no, Panga puts the lipstick on her face, it's the three of you.
Speaker 4: I walk in and then she walks out.
Speaker 5: But yeah, oh no, you're right, because I sit down and goes go because we look like horses.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 1: So Sean has written down four can't miss ways on how to get Super Bowl tickets. Corey asks for the best one. Sean's best idea so far is I go back in time to the first Super Bowl when tickets weren't that hard to get.
Speaker 4: It's our time machine.
Speaker 3: It's our time machine.
Speaker 2: It brought Ben's response, I don't need to hear the ready to hear the other three. That's great, a legitimate laugh for me. I don't need to hear that.
Speaker 3: I don't even need to hear the other thing.
Speaker 5: It's interesting to me how much Corey oscillates between being as dumb as Sean right, and the letting Sean know that he's being dumb and like it's just basically whichever one's funnier for the moment.
Speaker 4: Yes, they will have Corey play right.
Speaker 1: To Bega breaks in with some common sense. If you're gonna go back in time, you could do the original assignment and we wouldn't be in this mess. She realizes what she's doing, so she stops herself and sayings la la la la. Corey reminds her that butting in, even in musical form, is still butting in. Sean realizes that was his next idea to ask t Banga they need advice from her. She reminds Sean that if she gives them advice, she gets an F. Sean rolls his eyes. You can get one stinking F in your life, Tapega argues, no, she can't. She's worked very hard to be perfect up till now. Seawn's disgusted. I am throwing up. I am throwing up all over you, which I thought was funny. Then, as if by magic, the radio DJ asks, are you ready to win some Super Bowl tickets? To Pega's eyes widened. But the boys don't put two and two together? Or they have become hard of hearing, or have they have been given an unrealistic plot point.
Speaker 3: By the writers. I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: I don't know what it is.
Speaker 3: I don't know which one it is. Everyone's funniest and oblivious.
Speaker 1: Sean asks, if I was a pair of Super Bowl tickets, how would I find me? Corey admits it's an interesting question. Sean another question, why would Phoene make up such an impossible assignment? The NFL music plays behind them, but it hasn't affected them at all. Tapega brings the boombox directly to the kitchen table to get their attention. They have the last Super Bowl tickets in the known universe, and there's only ten more chances to win, so call now to Pega is trying so hard to get their attention, but Corey shouts, will you turn down the radio? We're trying to thank you to Pega runs across the kitchen, running around the room, striking the Heisman pose. Corey yells at her no jazz or size in the kitchen. The DJ announces that he's down to the five final callers. Topega now frantically holds two items she got in the kitchen, a bowl and a can of soup. Famous scene alert. Corey tries to guess as to Panga plays a game of charades, bowl and can.
Speaker 3: There's trouble in the Balkans. He puts a.
Speaker 1: Piece of food in her mouth like she's lassy and asks, is that what the radio said?
Speaker 4: Girl?
Speaker 1: She spits out the food and tries again. This time he realizes the word is soup. He asks, soup or bowl?
Speaker 3: All right? Soup so funny? All right?
Speaker 1: Soup to Pega growls and jumps on his back, forcing his head to the boom box. The DJ says there's only one chance left to go to the super Bowl. Corey and Sean jump up for joy, forcing Topanga to fly backwards and land on the bums.
Speaker 2: Yes, I around this like three times you flew off his back. I mean that was a good hit, bigs.
Speaker 3: It was fun. I don't remember there be I don't remember ever being hurt. Do you remember me ever being hurt?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: But do you remember doing this the scene?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: How do you you have positive memories of this scene?
Speaker 3: I don't have bad memories of the scene, right I should?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I liked the scene watching it, but I got very stressed out and I realized, like, oh right, this was like a tough like this was like a lot.
Speaker 4: Of over like redirecting being done. It was like it was like.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, do it this way. Try, you know, like now just jump on feet are the thing? Like I just remember being like stressed out and like there was Michael redirecting. There was a lot of like how to make this funnier, how to make it bigger, you know, and like watching I'm like, yeah, there's a lot of funny beats in here, but I got stressed out watching it. I was like, am I stressed out right? And I was like, oh right, because we were like beating this to death try and you know, and it is.
Speaker 4: It's a very.
Speaker 5: Funny, funny written scene, but it, like the rest of this episode, it.
Speaker 4: Didn't feel light to me, like I wish it just had like a lighter, more spontaneous touch to it.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: Definitely think you're right that there was no audience and it was missing that charge of energy from us.
Speaker 5: And I just feel like, you know, like Ben feeding you the thing is like a really funny bit, but it felt pre planned. It didn't feel like I'm watching Corey make a decision grab a thing, like you could have played that a little slower, but instead it feels like, let me hit the beat that we're hitting and then let me hit the beat where we do this and let me you know. And I was like, yeah, listen to each other a little bit more, guys, like, you know, enjoy the scene.
Speaker 4: I could tell that. I don't know, I felt like we were.
Speaker 5: Kind of stressed out and I got stressed out watching huh, But still very funny scenes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it worth it.
Speaker 1: I guess probably still could have been funnier, maybe with a little bit more maybe if it would have been a little bit more relaxed, but also maybe because there was no audience, our relax axed pace did actually hurt the comedy. So I don't know, it's hard to it's hard to tell. It's like there is such a fine line between something seeming too well planned out and also very specific beats being funnier than passive beats. So it's exactly you know it is. It's a hard it's a hard line to walk.
Speaker 4: I don't think it's anything anybody would really notice, but I noticed that, Oh my gosh, I'm getting the same feeling in my body watching I was like, right, yeah.
Speaker 2: So I would also say, Danielle, you're a very good physical comedian. And I'm surprised after this they didn't do more of this, yeah, because it was really funny. The physicality was hysterical, and I was like, why didn't they go into this more? Like why isn't a panga more klutzy or we learned something about her where we get more of this? Because you were really good at it, It's like this didn't make any sense.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I do just remember, and I know I've been asked before. People have been like, when you did that?
Speaker 4: It was?
Speaker 3: Was that a stunt? Double? Did you have a pad?
Speaker 1: And I remember that No, I did not, And I remember being excited by the fact that I got to do that, like I got to actually do that stunt. I don't necessarily remember feeling stressed about that aspect of it. I'm sure we were overrehearsed, but I think I was more just like, this is cool that I get to and it's going to look good.
Speaker 3: And it did.
Speaker 1: It looked good. It looks real, And I remember telling people like, no, I think I really just did that. Then when I watched it, I was like, yes, of course I remember this, Yes I really did it.
Speaker 2: But even the heisman stuff, even the smaller stuff, like just the physicality was very funny. It's like, why don't they write to this more?
Speaker 3: Thank you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would have been fun. I do enjoy physical comedy. Okay, so that would But that stunt would never happen today.
Speaker 4: You would never send an actor. Never.
Speaker 1: It would have a pad and you'd have to shoot it differently, and it'd make it look like the actor went flying and in some ways good, that's a good thing, but it is someways funny to see in some ways bad.
Speaker 3: It sure was funny to see me do it.
Speaker 1: Ye Corey is now shouting, they're giving away tickets to the super Bowl. Sean adds, we almost missed it. Thanks a lot to Panga, he says, looking at the radio, pretending he's looking at Topanga.
Speaker 3: Did you notice that?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: No, oh my gosh, I can't believe writer didn't notice it. As a director, I am back by the stairs, and you lean over the table as if where I am is on the floor in front of the back door.
Speaker 4: See that's what I mean. It was coverage.
Speaker 5: We were getting ridge, so it was like, let's bring the camera over here to get Seawn's shot right or your eye lines over here. It wasn't within the same scene right, which.
Speaker 2: We never did. It was just we're gonna, you know what, forget the cameras are here. You guys do your play, will do our thing. That's the way to do it.
Speaker 1: Because they go from you going thanks a lot to Panga to then me looking at you and it's like there's no universe where we buy. He's looking at her. It's it was so disorienting. It was very interesting.
Speaker 4: I love that you and I would have never noticed any of the stuff. That not a thing. What do I say?
Speaker 1: No, nope, never thought of it, never thought of it once.
Speaker 3: What do these directors even do?
Speaker 4: You don't need to to us.
Speaker 3: They just work with the actors.
Speaker 4: They just a good job.
Speaker 5: They tell us scene again from the top, ask us what we feel exactly?
Speaker 3: Nope, yeah, I'll tell you.
Speaker 2: Guys are good for anyway. Just let us do it.
Speaker 1: He runs to the phone and dials the radio station. When someone picks up, Sean excitedly shouts to Corey, I'm collar twenty.
Speaker 3: They jump up and down, and then Sean.
Speaker 5: Pauses, fact, I did full facting. I did not wait at all. It's like, literally.
Speaker 3: Dial but is that or is that?
Speaker 2: Pace?
Speaker 3: Pace it up faster.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm glad that you were able in the first call, though, to win the Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was believable.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, I loved it. You had me there, you had me at hello Sean.
Speaker 1: Sean pauses, I gotta do what and then there is quite an abrupt jump to the outdoor scre billboard. It's the w k Z n outdoor billboard. We see a few people standing on the ledge of their sign that reads radio because you only have to use one of your senses.
Speaker 3: And now you know what this is from.
Speaker 2: No, Yeah, that's that's the that was the ABC yellow campaign. Yeah is your friend? I mean they even with the circle where it was, I mean that was the straighten that year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Actually right now, do you think they did that as a joke about ABC or do you think ABC was like, this should be part of our campaign.
Speaker 5: I think our team did it as a joke. Let's just make it look like the campaign that that ABC is doing right now.
Speaker 2: So kind of a slight f you to the campaign there. So that's what I'm like, this is awful. Are they doing and then we're making fun of it? Or are they doing it like this is fun and this is kind of an homage to what ABC's doing.
Speaker 4: I don't know that.
Speaker 2: I don't I have no idea.
Speaker 4: I mean, maybe sort of neutral.
Speaker 5: I think it's sort of like because the audience would have also been able to recognize it, right because it was literally what was being on couple on TV that all the bumps and stuff would have that color scheme, so I think they were like, let's just do it in the same scheme as you know.
Speaker 2: I think it was just sort of are Okay.
Speaker 3: What was the set situation? I don't remember.
Speaker 4: This is why I.
Speaker 5: Think we didn't have an audience, because it had to be an elevated set in order for there to be that ladder to climb up and for this wide shot, and there's several of these wide shots. I think it was like to the left of the audience, we took over that whole area, like when you're facing the audience to their left.
Speaker 4: We just took over this whole air.
Speaker 5: I remember it being a very strange week because we had to have this giant billboard and then we also had to have the area where they were underneath the billboard, and they were completely separate. So like where the people are staying in the DJ and all that stuff is going on is in a different see.
Speaker 4: Connected to this.
Speaker 5: This was just isolated green screen, so it had green screen behind it, I think at least for this shot, and then the rest of it was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a very weird week. I mean I remember it being very strange.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, So then we are down on the sidewalk at the DJ's makeshift studio. Hey, hey, this is Johnny Latte from one oh two point five Wazne.
Speaker 3: Such a good jail, So good Johnny Latte, Morning Zoo.
Speaker 1: The camera zooms out to show Corey and topang Us standing by the booth with a handful of other spectators, all bundle up, bundled up in winter attire. Johnny Latte informs us that at sixteen degrees right now, as an aggressively shivering man is hauled away in a gurney, there are only three freezing contestants left, and there's a small group of well wishers cheering them on. Then one of the well wishers yells jump. Johnny also points out that's the obligatory lunatic. Johnny Ltte will be back with our thirty two of the Super Bowl madness. Right after a message from the Bahamas and now the Bahamas ad starts to play with a jingle, and the jingle is we are warm and you are cold.
Speaker 3: We don't need a Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: I at this point was so frustrated that we were this far into the scene and I still had no idea what what's going on? What's going on? What did they have to do. What is sean?
Speaker 3: What's what's it's something outside?
Speaker 4: There's Oh, you're right, they know.
Speaker 2: They never explained what I thought the same thing. I was like, sowa are they is it an outlast other people?
Speaker 3: Is that no idea?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Oh wow. The DJ never explains, not at all.
Speaker 1: He just we're just here, here we are, it's cold, we're outside, it's the morning zoo. And it's like he talks a long time. I'm half a page in the text that I'm typing on my computer, going when are we going to hear?
Speaker 3: What? What's the what are we doing?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: It was so I was just the locations, the eye lines, because the ladder is actually behind the onlookers. The reality is the onlookers would be facing it. So when Matt Kirkwood yells jump, he's looking I think it a direction of.
Speaker 3: He's looking at the DJ, look at the DJ, and.
Speaker 5: And it's a I was like, whoa, you know. So when Corey like suddenly climbs up, I'm like, oh.
Speaker 2: That's it's just it's also you've got to, I imagine, because he doesn't explain it. You've got to be up there and outlast the other people, like it's basically a throwback to the twenties flag sitting, flagpole sitting. You got to be up there really cold, but other people are allowed to come up and hand you hot chocolate.
Speaker 4: I know I had the same question. It is Corey going to be a contestant, now just come up and here's a blanket and hot chocolate.
Speaker 3: Like, I don't think they'd allow that.
Speaker 2: Okay, it was the whole thing was so thrown together, this scene where it was like, what what's happening?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Sean kicks the speaker off the billboard ledge so he doesn't hear any more of that song. Luckily, Corey comes walking up the ladder, just missing the falling speaker that would have ailed him, but.
Speaker 3: Still singing we are warm and you are cold. Corey's brought him some hot chocolate.
Speaker 5: I love that he's in the audience down there listening to the radio when the DJ is live right in front.
Speaker 4: Of him, just so he could have this moment.
Speaker 2: None of By the way, it's not a ron is supposed to be a Phoene lesson episode This isn't a rawn.
Speaker 4: Don't know what it is? God, what's the last guy?
Speaker 1: Why couldn't he just have the song stuck in his head. Why did he need to have headphones on? Why couldn't he just be like us so catchy.
Speaker 2: Well, it's because everybody's not facing the DJ, so they're not actually listening to what they're saying, So you need to also have the headphone seeking here.
Speaker 4: Maybe that's what it is.
Speaker 1: Sewn is ecstatic and frantically pours from the thermos into the cup, but catches a glance at his fellow contestant, who is also dramatically freezing.
Speaker 3: Sean tells Corey, I can't do this, this isn't right.
Speaker 1: He walks over to his opponent and takes a big swig of hot chocolate right in front of his face. He screams yeah and laughs, maniatically the man size.
Speaker 3: That's it. I don't even like football. I like billboards, and you've ruined this for me.
Speaker 4: That is, I mean, that line is so great landing.
Speaker 3: I mean yeah, the billboards. I wanted to be close to a billboard.
Speaker 4: I mean god, that I mean to me, that is like quintessential brilliant. Michael Jacobs like, here's the spot.
Speaker 5: For the joke, right, and the joke is, you know the guy is going to cave in the face of Sean's cruelty, and then you add this extra layer of irony to I mean, just brilliant. I'm so funny football, I'm just here for the billboard.
Speaker 4: So smart. It is so smart.
Speaker 3: Corey is ecstatic.
Speaker 1: There's only one more guy Sean has to outlast to win those tickets. Sean admits, I can't win this Cory. Corey tries to encourage him. Of course he can win, but Sean simply points to the other guy. It's a man and a big winter coat, happily sitting on the ledge of a billboard eating an ice cream cone. Corey whispers the other guy's inn Eskimo. Sean nods he's from the Inuit tribe. He comes to Philadelphia with his family every January for summer vacation. The man cheerfully sings, I am warm and you are cold. Sean says, I really thought I had a chance to go to the Super Bowl, but I guess I never really did. There's always going to be an Eskimo standing in my way, isn't there. Corey says he'll help him down. As Sean figures out this whole thing was impossible, Corey thinks Feoenie knew that. And then we're in Phoenie's classroom. Phoene's at his desk, and Corey and the gang barge in. All right, we got this one figured out. Phoene asks, you got the super Bowl tickets? Sean grins. This was never about the tickets. Phoene raises an eyebrow. It wasn't. Corey's very proud of himself. You don't think we know you. You don't think we know that when you're teaching us something, we should look for the lesson behind the lesson. We figured this one out all by ourselves. Tapanga ads and I didn't even help them, mister Feenie. Sean explains, even though we thought something was impossible, we still should have tried, because that's all you want it to. Panga brags. You see how I haven't given them any advice on what to say. I don't fail, I don't. The three give each other a big group hug as. Corey asks, aren't you proud of us?
Speaker 3: Mister Feenie. Phoene is unmoved.
Speaker 1: Where are the super Bowl tickets? The three of them burst into laughter.
Speaker 3: Good joke, mister Feenie.
Speaker 1: Topanga begins to speak, mister Feenie that, but Feeni interrupts her. No, miss Lawrence, all you had to do was stay out of it. Phoene asks them again, in a very serious tone, where are the tickets? Sean tells him he really tried. Corey adds, and we know that's what you wanted. Phoene shakes his head. You have no idea what I want. He stands up. Get the tickets or fail. Tapanga begins to say, mister Feenie, but he cuts her off again, stay out of it or fail. Corey tries to reason with him, and Peoene cuts him off as well. Help them both or fail. He walks away without another word. As the three of them stand there shocked, Sean states again, thanks a lot to Panga.
Speaker 5: I think this might be the same with the door way walk away walk. Oh yeah, this might because I think that's a dramatic walkout. So the rest of the episode felt very strange to me, And when I watch it a second time, I kind of started to get an idea.
Speaker 4: Why this is the end of.
Speaker 5: The episode, Like we do learn the lesson exactly right, Like nothing changes, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I don't it's all muddled. What is he trying to teach? And they learned what he's trying to teach. They figured it out.
Speaker 4: And it's and it's just we haven't been suffered enough. It's like Feeny just gets to.
Speaker 5: Yell at us and then we learn the same lesson. We just do it more like Sean just works.
Speaker 4: Harder and it's what we've done all the things exactly, still.
Speaker 2: Doesn't do exactly. The assignment was not to go to the super Bowl. It wasn't go to the super Bowl. And that's what Sean did, is he ends up at the super Bowl saying, look, nothing's impossible. Well, for all we know, he snuck in and didn't The assignment was to get super Bowl tickets, which he never did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did sneak in.
Speaker 4: I just don't know.
Speaker 5: I just feel like this the more the more touching scene and at the end, you know, with Corey and Topanga and Feeni, they're all saying the same thing that they say in this verbatim, like no one the lesson doesn't change. And that's why it was like, wait, what is this episode about?
Speaker 4: And it seems like it's about.
Speaker 5: Phenie punishing us, like it seems like it's about FIENI torturing us and like, I don't know it. It's it's just not that like I just wanted the best lessons, best feeni lessons are revelatory, right, It's like through the experience you'll reveal something and like ah, and we've had that up until now. But then the rest of the episode it's just like authoritarian I told you you did it, or you're not enough for it.
Speaker 4: You know, it's a weird tone.
Speaker 1: It's like, oh, well, I do think I walked away from the episode thinking I I kind of felt like the lesson was, actually, your good attributes could actually could you They could be taken to a fault. You know, we've all heard the saying of like, oh she's kind to a fault and you know it's because oh she's so kind people and taking advantage of her she doesn't, you know, those kinds of things. And I do think the idea that like Corey loves his friend so much that at the beginning of the episode, what he was doing to help him was trying to put his name on a paper he didn't really write and give him a good grade that he wouldn't have otherwise earned, and that that is not actually that's enabling, that's not helping your friend. And Topanga, who is a control freak and wants to see everybody succeed like I did walk away, got them to thinking, yeah, and that for Sean, I think.
Speaker 4: You know, don't give up like that.
Speaker 1: Seawan is always so quick to say, my circumstances will stop me, and so I shouldn't even bother because I have.
Speaker 4: An easy way out. But we've all learned all our lessons.
Speaker 5: My mind now that literally everything you've just described we've already gone through and we still have what ten more minutes of the episode, And I'm not sure why, except to really drill this.
Speaker 4: Point home felt plotting to me. Yeah, P L O D D I NG like plotting, Like it was like right next beat and.
Speaker 5: Just hit it harder and hit it harder, to the point where the final moment where Feenie grabs your hands like in this like really affect.
Speaker 4: I was like, I know what, this isn't right. This is not Feenie. Like Phoenie's the guy who won't say I love you by the end of points.
Speaker 5: He's the guy who would never he would walk away from that scene and leave you.
Speaker 4: Guys to be like a ha.
Speaker 5: So it's like it's like we had to. It's a doubling down, Like the whole episode ends here and then we just.
Speaker 4: Do it again.
Speaker 1: Right, we're back at the guy's apartment, Jack sitting at his laptop as Eric walks down the stairs. What are you doing? They're gonna be here any minute. Jack says he has a psych test on Monday. Eric's eyes, this is why you'll never end up with any woman worth having. He slams Jack's laptop shut. We finally found two girls that are different from any other girls we've dated before. Jack asks how they're different, and Eric explains, because they're coming back. They're coming back because there's compatibility. Now, we haven't seen your first date with We didn't know there was a first date, so now we're just told this is a second date.
Speaker 5: Confused, it's like, oh, they those girls from the balcony, right, we don't they haven't.
Speaker 1: So there were the girls from the balcony and you've already had a date with them and it went well, and now they're coming back.
Speaker 2: Coming Did you see any food signs or did the back change?
Speaker 5: And there it's completely different there's a bar. Now's that island. That bar island never existed a bar, and.
Speaker 2: Then there's cabinets behind where there need to be food pictures.
Speaker 4: I know, they totally different.
Speaker 5: For the date scene, they needed two separate sitting areas, and so they created this barstool citting.
Speaker 4: Area, which I think we're in now.
Speaker 2: The rest of Yeah, but it's a different apartment.
Speaker 3: Is amazing.
Speaker 1: Jack argues, I'm studying so I can get my soulmate a nice life someday. Eric retorts, do like me, become a secret agent. Once you're in the CIA, they take care of you for life, or they kill you.
Speaker 5: That's good advice, by the way, I know this is classic Wilfredo, like figuring out some great business with your shirt time, but you don't.
Speaker 4: Actually tie your shoes. It's it's great business.
Speaker 5: It's perfect because you have you know, like it's just good acting to like give yourself something to do so you're not just standing there and.
Speaker 4: You're doing it perfectly. But that you know. I watched the episode twice.
Speaker 5: The second time I was like, he just kind of tugs on his laces that are already tied.
Speaker 4: I love it, but if.
Speaker 2: I had to do it over again. I would go the extra beat with the joke and absolutely have Eric and velcros shoes totally abbs like he doesn't know how to tie is. She would never mention it, but Eric always wears velcro shoes. I would go the extra mile if I had to.
Speaker 4: Do it together.
Speaker 3: That's so funny. Right then the doorbell buzzes.
Speaker 1: Eric excitedly whispers soulmates, but Jack's still not convinced. What are the chances we find two girls who are anything like us? Eric providently asks back, what are the chances we didn't? But you already know you guys have already gone out on a date.
Speaker 4: With Well, that's what I understand. Like their team, that's why they had What if we didn't? I don't understand that line.
Speaker 3: It's a romp. No it didn't.
Speaker 2: Again, this whole bet story seemed very and it's not a bad beat story.
Speaker 3: I love The idea for the bet story is great.
Speaker 2: They they each date girls that are like the opposite and they try to switch them classic sitcom three's company kinds.
Speaker 4: Doesn't it feel very obvious?
Speaker 2: Of course a little too much.
Speaker 4: I love the idea.
Speaker 5: I actually think both the actresses are great, Like, I think it's a very but it felt, especially when it gets to the slapping blocking like it just all felt like so on the nose.
Speaker 2: I like the idea of the bet story. The execution I did not think was great.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Eric opens the door and two pretty blonde girls walk in. Eric smirks, boy, do we have an evening planned for you? Jack joins in a wonderful little French restaurant with only four tables, seven courses and we can linger for hours.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Jack has like the full date planned, but he was also studying for his psych test.
Speaker 3: On Monday and had to be convinced to go in on the date.
Speaker 5: Eric Schut's a ROMP episode was written by Ai.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 4: AOL Messenger version.
Speaker 3: Yeah you've got seen.
Speaker 1: Eric shouts, hope you brought your fat pants ladies.
Speaker 2: Kind of a great line. I want to use that now.
Speaker 1: Jack's date laughs a little too hard at that joke, and then Eric's date announces I love French food, but I can't stay too late because I have an exam on Monday. But Jack's date has other plans. Hey give me a couple of tacos and I'm a happy girl. Jack is confused, but I got these reservations. Then the girl points to her math and yells, tackle.
Speaker 2: People do this to me all the time.
Speaker 3: But this was a this was a Corey thing did this.
Speaker 5: So it's the show referencing a different character characters in joke. Maybe in the Boy Meets World universe there was taco place where they did this as their commercial.
Speaker 4: Like their low.
Speaker 5: Commercial was a guy tacoll so everybody sort of knows it as like a band.
Speaker 3: That guy was named Michael Jacobs.
Speaker 4: Yes, give me live readings. No, no, it's wow taco.
Speaker 2: It's Miguel Jacob's taco house, Miguel.
Speaker 4: Let's make commercials.
Speaker 5: Let's go into AI and have Miguel Taco commercials where somebody points with their au taco Miguel's Tacas nineteen ninety eight.
Speaker 2: Exactly, Jacobs Jacobs, Miguel Jacob's Taco cos. No, we don't.
Speaker 4: I want to.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Jensen just wrote Jacob.
Speaker 2: Miguel Jacob taco cassa. Yes, that's it.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 5: Okay, is it a taco pointing to his own like a cartoon taco taco?
Speaker 7: A cartoon taco with his side pointing to his mouth Miguel Yacosa.
Speaker 2: Oh this is the best. Oh you have to chart this pop up.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. Eric agrees, I love tacos. But then his date reminds him about Jack's reservations. She and Jack both say in unison, we can't just not show up. Man, I was a good read by me.
Speaker 3: Huh. Then Jack's date had my finger over the word.
Speaker 2: Man it Man, what's that up in the road ahead?
Speaker 4: What is this?
Speaker 3: What is this?
Speaker 2: What is this thing called love?
Speaker 4: I remember all of those.
Speaker 5: We do that all the time because it's like the ultimate bad actor thing to do.
Speaker 3: It's like to just completely misread a.
Speaker 5: Sentence, but like read it correctly. Just not talk about human van.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I just had a full flashback.
Speaker 2: Do you think you are? Were?
Speaker 3: Anyway?
Speaker 4: Who do you think you are? Anyway?
Speaker 3: We would do this all the time, all the time.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: Indy had this exact thing happen in his class or when he was doing the Little Mermaid play.
Speaker 4: One of the one of the actors.
Speaker 5: You know, seven years old or whatever, and I forget what the line was. It was like, oh, some friend you are or some friend you turned out to be Sebastian is the line. Okay, she said some friend you turned out to be Sebastian and he was like, what is why was she saying it like that? And He's like, I kept wanted to say somebody didn't want to tell the other students, and then finding the teacher, like the weeks of rids On. Finding the teacher was like, why are you saying some friend you turned out to be Sebastian?
Speaker 4: And so Andy just thought this was the funniest thing.
Speaker 5: I was like, findy and so I told him all of these ones where I was like, we have the exact same things, so he knows.
Speaker 4: Them now too. We say them all the time.
Speaker 3: Oh god, I think he was anyway.
Speaker 1: That is as you guys were doing that, I was a teenager again. Oh man, my stomach truly, my stomach hurt smif from laughing. Eric asks if everyone's ready, and they head out into the hallway. While standing at the elevator, Eric asks his date, Jill, if she has any brothers or sisters.
Speaker 3: Jill nods one sister.
Speaker 1: We were separated when my parents got divorced, but I reconnected with her when I came to Penbrook. Pretty weird huh. Jack and Eric stare at each other and disbelieve. Jack asks his date Carol what she's studying. She responds, you don't need to study for what I'm gonna do. Once you're in the CIA, they take care of you for life. Eric follows up or they Carol finishes his sentence, kill you, kill you. The girls get into the elevator and Eric quickly pulls Jack aside. I want Carol, Jack a grease. Jill's perfect for me. Jack and Jill. Why didn't we see it before? Eric shrieks Eric and Carol. The boys wiggle their hands together as they let out happy shrieks before joining their soulmates in the elevator.
Speaker 3: My stomach hurts, how do.
Speaker 4: You spell Miguel Jacobs? By the way, I'm already developed AI.
Speaker 3: I already got one.
Speaker 2: Guys, I'm currently working on the design.
Speaker 4: I got it. I already got one great one.
Speaker 2: Do you think it's why a cop? Or I think it's And we assumed listener is gonna say, no, you have to use a why all right?
Speaker 1: I think you have to use a y right so that you get the proper pronunciation.
Speaker 3: So, oh my god, I wrote everything to the designer, and his own response back was what about feet? Does he have feet? Oh? Does he have feet?
Speaker 2: Question?
Speaker 3: You don't have feet. I'm want to eat the taco.
Speaker 4: Literally the first one that popped up. It's terrifying how good it is. That's the first one that came up on Ai.
Speaker 3: You guys, it's so good.
Speaker 4: It's pretty perfect. You know what.
Speaker 1: This is better than what was in my mind. In my mind, we were seeing the profile of the tao, the side of the taco. But this is so much better. Yeah, look at this big wide mouth. Oh my gosh, this is perfect, and it says Miguel Jacob's Taco cossat. So then we are back on the WKZN billboard. It now reads I'm going to the super Bowl thanks to WKZN, with a picture of the Eskimo.
Speaker 5: The restaurants should be sponsored by w KZEN. There should be like, oh yeah, brought to you.
Speaker 1: On the back Sean sitting on the ledge all alone. Corey and Tapanga walk up and spot Sean. Topega says, I told you he'd be here, and Corey argues, no, you didn't. You were waiving a dollar and yawning at me. Tapanga shouts, bill board, how much simpler, could it be? They walk up the ladder, still arguing, and the start of another handful of very crazy camera angles. Sean yells at them, Hey, Lucy, Ricky, I'm up here trying to think.
Speaker 4: You get your head stepped on. It was funny. I love the panga dynamic in this.
Speaker 3: I love the idea that they're Lucy and Ricky. That's that's good.
Speaker 2: Again, favorite topanga so far, arguably of the series. This is my favorite tapanga, so at least of the modern tipanga. Of the modern tapanga, this is my favorite version right here, like you're part of the gang. They finally wrote something for you, and it's like Topanga's here. So that was great.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: They finally make it up to the ledge and Corey asks what he's thinking about. Sean says, whenever I've wanted anything in my life, there's always been an Eskimo standing in my way. Corey turns to Tapanga for advice. She starts playing charades, but Corey doesn't get it. She just shouts metaphor. It's all very funny, and I don't know how. I don't know how Tapega doesn't fail the assignment. I guess we just choose not to share that I told him stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, no one understands the assignment.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's that's true that way, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sean continues, Remember when you went to summer camp and I couldn't afford to That was an eskimo. He grew up in a trailer park. Everyone else had a house. That's another eskimo. Sean explains, there's so many things standing in my way, but he's had enough. He declares he's going to the super Bowl. Corey reminds him he has no tickets and no way of getting there. Sean says it doesn't matter. People like him don't get anywhere because they don't believe they can get there. He's his own worst eskimo. Corey tries reasoning with him, he doesn't need to go anywhere. Sean knows I do have to go somewhere because if I don't, I'll never go anywhere. He tells Corey to be his best friend and get out of his way. Corey obliges, and they all watch Sean leave. Now, this is the lesson Sean didn't necessarily have when they went back to the classroom. Before Sean came back going you just wanted me to try. But that isn't true. He wanted him to realize if you always see an obstacle and decide, well, there's my obstacle, it's I'm not ever going to push past it and I just turn back and go, isn't that good enough?
Speaker 3: No, that isn't ever going to be good enough in your life.
Speaker 4: It's doubling down. Yeah you didn't you didn't run a marathon. You just sprinted, but you just got to go.
Speaker 5: It's fine, It's just more of the same, right, It's just like you have to go further.
Speaker 4: You haven't been punished enough. You have both go.
Speaker 1: You haven't realized that you're you're the person who's stopping you, not the actual obstacle. I think in the first when you first went to the classroom, you were like, oh, I worked my hardest until there was a true roadblock that I couldn't imagine a way around.
Speaker 3: And then I said, well I did the best that I could.
Speaker 1: But Feenie was saying, no, you have to go even past that, and you have to realize that you're so far the thing that stopped you every time, not about the money, not about the and maybe that idea as a big ole. You got to pull yourselfself up by your bootstraps thing, you know, if you really want to afford it, you work two jobs and you do it overnight. Like There's maybe some of that in there, But ultimately you did in this scene teach yourself something about your past that you did not know in that previous scene in the classroom.
Speaker 2: But he never got the tickets.
Speaker 3: That we know of. That we know of.
Speaker 1: He may have done a grateful dead thing and waved his finger up in the air outside of the super Bowl asking for a miracle, and somebody said, hey, you can have my extra ticket.
Speaker 3: We don't know. I do wish they explained that a little bit.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think Sean just broke into the super Bowl.
Speaker 3: I know, I think so too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Sophie, he turned Sean into a criminal.
Speaker 1: Yes, then we're back in the guy's apartment. They are in different outfits.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: So this is the third date, Date three, third date. The didn't see date one. We saw the beginning of date two. This is now date three. This is sex date right right, this is the time when it happens.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Eric makes his way over to Carol as Jack sits next to Jill on the couch. Carol wins as Eric stares into her soul. She wonders why he's so close to her, and why is he even sitting next to her in the first place. She thinks he's confused. Eric grabs her hand and holds it to his chest. You think I'm confused. Your name is Carol, you want to work in espionage. You love tacos. You have no idea what color amber is. Now, who's confused? She pulls her hand back. I am, and you're sitting even closer to me now. Meanwhile, Jack is explaining to Jill, and are we supposed to ad buy that they don't hear.
Speaker 2: Each You can't hear anything. Well, they're almost six feet away.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, got it.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile Jack is explaining to Jill, your studies are important to you. You appreciate French cuisine, and you want to read the Sunday Times book review section in an unfurnished apartment while you lie on the hardwood floor with your lover massage in your bare feet. Jill shrugs, yeah. So we cut back to Eric, whose legs are now propped onto Carol's while he nuzzles his head into her shoulder. She's had enough. Now you're way too close. You're hitting on me. Eric softly asks, am I. Carol throws his legs off of her. Yes, what is going on here? Eric stares into her eyes. Don't you see we were meant for each other. The reason I want someone like you is because you're someone like me. She softly slaps him on the head. She's here to see Jack. She thought he and Eric were best friends. Eric nods best friends. We support each other entirely. Then, and what can only be described as an optical camera pan, Jack shouts to Jill. Eric's a moron. I lay out his clothes in the morning. You and I belong together. We're like peanut, butter and jelly. We're like jelly and jelly. Carol makes her way over to Jack. She's not comfortable here. Jill tells Eric she'd like to leave. Eric is disgusted. I'm with Carol, how rude? Great read?
Speaker 4: I wrote?
Speaker 1: Amazing read. Jack pleads to Jill. At least let me walk you home. That way we can talk and you can see how right we are for each other. Carol just wants to know what's going on here. Eric asks, we were just switching you around. What's the big deal?
Speaker 3: The girls slap the boys across the face.
Speaker 2: In Udison, the roommates switch big Seinfeld thing.
Speaker 3: They just stole it.
Speaker 1: Jack says they were just trying to form serious and meaningful relationships. Eric adds, with a couple of hotties who have the same interests we do. Don't you want that too? He turns to Carol, I know you do. He turns to Jill. You I don't know what you want, Carol admits I. Carol admits we just went out with you because we thought you were cute. Jill adds, besides, who would want to be with someone exactly like ourselves? Nobody makes a sandwich out of jelly and jelly. That would be tedious and redundant. Jack looks at her lovingly. We have the same volc tabulary. Eric turns to Carol. We could look those words up together. But she doesn't want to look those words up with him. She wants someone who can tell her what they mean. Jill adds, I spend all day with me. You seemed like fun, and now we'll never know. With that, The girls leave now alone. Eric declares, we learned an important lesson here today. Jack looks like finding soulmates isn't going to be as easy as we thought. Jack suggests, maybe the girls taught us we were too aggressive and we just have to sit back and let the universe bring our soulmates to us. Eric grins, you're a wise man, Jack Hunter. Then we cut to the hallway outside the elevator. Jill and Carol are not so patiently waiting, arms folded. Jill breaks the silence. I guess they're actually not coming after us.
Speaker 3: Carol laughs. Those idiots, what they learned.
Speaker 4: The wrong lesson. They were supposed to go out and chase them down, and the girls would have been fine, and they would have been soulmates for her.
Speaker 3: But why would they have girls? Would they?
Speaker 2: Did it now be Eric and Carol and Jack and Jill?
Speaker 5: Or Yeah, they just gave that whole speech that that's no they should be.
Speaker 2: So that'll be the original.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, So you guys just learned the wrong lesson. As the joke like, if you had listened to them, you.
Speaker 5: Would have learned the lesson, like we should try it, make it make it work with the girl who's not like me.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'll go after her and make it work.
Speaker 5: But instead you guys were like, well, we don't need soul mates, or let's wait and they'll come to us.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, yeah, all right, but that's not that's not what Eric or Jack wanted.
Speaker 2: But we're boys, doesn't.
Speaker 6: Okay, doesn't matter what you want.
Speaker 1: And then we're back in Phoenie's classroom. Corey enters with Tapanga. He's failed, mister Feoene. As we speak, our young Sean is foolishly rolling westward towards San Diego and certain disappointment. Phoene perks up, did he get the tickets? Corey explains no, He said the tickets didn't matter. He said nothing mattered and that he'd find a way in Phoenix smiles.
Speaker 3: That's what he said.
Speaker 1: Corey answers, Yeah, I was standing in front of him and he asked me to move out of the way so he could go. Phoene approaches Corey, clearly happy with the way things turned out. Did you move out of the way, mister Matthews. Corey nods, yeah, I mean I really felt like I should. I know, the assignment was to help him succeed, but he didn't need my help on this one. Corey concludes he was going to do this on his own no matter what. Guess I failed. Huh, Phoene smiles. On the contrary, you passed with flying colors, and so does mister Hunter. Corey's demeanor changes, Of course we did, and clearly you've wasted all your time. As I continue to comprehend nothing, Phoene sits down next to him. Sean isn't going to go to college and succeed because you want him to. He has to want to and believe that he can. The only way he can do that is on his own without your help. Corey wonders, then why did you want me to help him? Phoeni explains, you need to know you won't always be able to to Panga smiles as she realizes, pretty soon we're all going to have to do things on our own without someone's help, right, mister. Phoenie to Penga continues, I think I know why you've been so upset, and I think I know why you're going to keep giving us assignments every day until our last day with you. Phoene warns her she's butting in to Pega nods, Yeah, I am so fail me. That's life, Pheenie reminds her you won't be perfect anymore. To Penga shrugs, well, no one should be perfect. You learn from failure, and I need to know that, right, Phoenie's the one that's taken aback. Now, you just yelled at me just so much.
Speaker 4: So much thematic time. I know, here's the theme of me.
Speaker 5: Here, here's the theme of your character, and here's the way I feel about our themes, about the themes of our character that you're talking the thematically about you. Oh my god, they know which is it's just very heavy handed and very sentimental.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you just yelled at me, But I'm mister Phoenie.
Speaker 3: To Penga smiles. One day you're going to have to let us go.
Speaker 1: One day you won't be able to teach us anymore, and you can't be sure if we're going to be all right. Phoene pauses for a moment. Life is a lot tougher than school, my DearS, Corey ads, but the right thing to do is just step aside and let us live it. We learned that because you taught it to us. He grabs both of their hands and holds them tight while they smile at him with admiration.
Speaker 2: And no Sean there for kind of this important I mean moment and scene.
Speaker 1: Nope, a scene that's like about you going to college. Yeah, all right, well then we're in the tag. We are in Chubby's. A crowd is gathered around the TV as Alan shoots ooh, what a game. Eric adds this is the best super Bowl since Super Bowl XX. Tapang is confused. She asks Amy, this makes them so happy. Morgan, who found herself in the episode, shakes her head in despair.
Speaker 3: What else is on? Amy tells her like football, never not a single one of them?
Speaker 2: Okay, wait a second super Bowl XX was super Bowl twenty one by the Giants.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, really I want to google.
Speaker 2: Oh it was the Patriots that lost by that. Yeah, okay, gotcha. This is refrigerator Perry one. Okay.
Speaker 1: Amy tells her that Fox is counterprogramming with America's worst family atrocities. Alan butts in, you change that channel, You're going to be on that program.
Speaker 2: Good shot at Fox. By the way, at the time, that was just a straight up shot.
Speaker 4: Of yeah, you think the super Bowl this year and that's maybe.
Speaker 1: It was also in California, so it was probably a big deal for Yeah.
Speaker 2: But Fox at the time was doing like Worst Bear Attacks and all that. Remember the shows that were like so these were great. That was a great just shot at Fox at the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Eric and Allan start to cheer loudly in bump chests. The rest of Chubbies joins in. Once the celebration calms down, Phoene stands up and excitedly shouts, look at that. Alan is confused, Look at what the play's over? Phoene explains, he's looking at the crowd. Look at the boy holding.
Speaker 3: Up the sign.
Speaker 1: Corey notices it too, the one that says, hey, Phoenie, nothing's impossible. He and Phoene look at each other, grinning from ear to ear, and the audience sees none of it. Where's that insert crowd?
Speaker 3: All right, Well, we had a good run.
Speaker 2: There's got to be a dud occasionally. You can't have a banger every week.
Speaker 4: I just don't know if this is a dud.
Speaker 5: I think it's just a strange one, you know. And I actually think if this had come earlier in season five, we would have been probably delighted. Like if this came after the first couple episodes, we'd be like, oh cool. But the last this coming in a round of like great Angela episodes and like sort of a return to the sense of boy meets world magic.
Speaker 4: This just felt this just felt.
Speaker 3: Off yea off, Yeah, but you got to do it.
Speaker 4: We really did pick it apart.
Speaker 1: I feel like once, I feel like what I've realized for a lot of our critiques on episodes is that we feel like there could have been a simpler way to get across the lesson, and this one feels like they took an idea like I would have, and maybe we would have been critical of it had it been more of a romp. But an episode about trying to get tickets to the Super Bowl sounds fun but mixed with a real convoluted Feeney lesson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, new director, new direct ca.
Speaker 1: And a b story that maybe so Yeah, I think I think maybe it needed a little bit of pairing down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe maybe it tried to do too much too many.
Speaker 1: Las tried, yes, lots of spinning plates.
Speaker 2: And I'd like to know where Sean is at this point. I'd like to know where in his academic career he is, because it's starting to change every week.
Speaker 3: Right, I thought you were going to say you wanted him to drop a pin. You want to know what I.
Speaker 2: Always said, I know exactly where writers I have a camera set up in his sear I know where.
Speaker 3: You have a Google You're following him, right, I do.
Speaker 2: I'm shutting it down tonight though, as he goes back to naked sleeping.
Speaker 3: Right, you don't want to see that.
Speaker 5: We got into the car this weekend Alex and she got an alert on her phone that was like you were being followed by an air tag or there was an air tag. We're like, what what did somebody? And we're like sitting there going what is going on? And then my son's friend from the back seat was like, We're like, do you have an air taxit?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, my mom has an air tag on my backpack.
Speaker 5: But isn't that interesting? It warns yeah, stock that you were like, somebody's tracking you.
Speaker 4: I know, I had no idea yea, But.
Speaker 5: Alex and I were like, what did somebody put one in your car and took it? Took a little too long for all of to pipe up in the backseat.
Speaker 4: We're like, well, yeah, that would have been good.
Speaker 3: That would have been Yeah.
Speaker 1: When you heard us freaking out about the air tag, maybe maybe mention that.
Speaker 2: That's a great name.
Speaker 3: Oli.
Speaker 2: I'm a big fan of the I always.
Speaker 1: Join us for our next episode recap, which is season five, episode fourteen.
Speaker 3: It's a big one heartbreak Corey.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 2: I saw this on the list intro to Lauren ski Lage.
Speaker 3: Huge episode Ski Lodge.
Speaker 2: Already Ski Lodge, Ski Lodge. Well, Topang and Corey have been have been happy for like four episodes now, so it's time for him to get some strange We all know that.
Speaker 3: Thank what's this question?
Speaker 1: I know, Yeah, it's already Ski Lodge episode. So that originally aired February sixth, nineteen ninety eight. So I was right when we talked about when this aired January sixteenth. We was our last episode before the super Bowl on January twenty fifth. We didn't have another episode air until February sixth, so this was our super Bowl episode.
Speaker 4: Gotcha? All right?
Speaker 1: Well, thank you all for joining us for this episode of Podmeets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod meets World Show. You can send us your emails pod meets World Show at gmail dot com. And we're probably gonna have Taco March.
Speaker 4: Miguel Yacom Taco Cossum March.
Speaker 1: Dogo Pod Meets Worldshow dot com will send us out.
Speaker 2: We love you all, pod dismissed. Podmets World is niheart podcast producer and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfredell and Ryder Strong executive producers, Jensen Carp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tara sudbachsch producer, Maddy Moore, engineer and Boy Meets World superfan Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon and you can follow us on Instagram at Podmeats World Show or email us at Podmetsworldshow at gmail dot com