Speaker 1: Is doctor dom here from the Cultivating her Space podcast. Are you currently a resident of the state of California and contemplating starting your therapy journey? Well, if so, please reach out to me at doctor Dominique Brusard dot com. That's d R D O M I N I q U E b R O U ss ar D dot com to schedule a free fifteen minute consultation. I look forward to hearing from you. Welcome to Cultivating her Space. I'm doctor dom a college professor and licensed psychologist.
Speaker 2: And I'm Terry Lomax, a techie and motivational speaker. Now, before we jump into today's episode, we want to share something special. For the first time in eight years of podcasting, we're taking a much needed summer break. But stay tuned to see what that means for you.
Speaker 1: That's right, lady, After nearly a decade of showing up week after week, we're giving ourselves a little time to rest, recharge, and refill our cups. But don't worry, we're not leaving you hanging. Over the next few weeks, we'll be dropping these many episodes filled with reflections, insights, encouragement, and some of the conversations we think you need right now.
Speaker 2: When we return, you can expect even more of what you love, authentic conversations, powerful storytelling, practical tools for healing and growth, and fresh perspectives on everything from mental health and relationships to self discovery and personal development. Thank you for being part of this community and for growing alongside us over the years. Now let's get into the mini episode. What if envy isn't the flaw? What if it's literally pointing you toward the life you secretly want?
Speaker 3: Your thoughts?
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, Okay, that's a that's a deep question. Okay, it is so. I mean when I hear that, I think that, you know, we've been taught to judge ourselves like, way, way, way too quickly when it comes to envy, right like, the moment we acknowledge the feeling, the next thing that comes to mind is all shit, I'm over here being a hater. Really, what if envy is information? What if envy is actually trying to tell us something?
Speaker 2: Okay, and lady, you know where the queens are sitting with the discomfort, So let's just sit with it, because I'm sure we've all experienced envy at some point in life. Right, You're scrolling. Usually it's a scrolling right scrolling. You see someone's getting engaged. You're like, damn, I want my person to propose to me, or I'm trying to get married too. You see a friend they just posted them new keys, they just bought a condo or bought a house. Somebody text you in the group chat, oh, I'm launching my new business. You see somebody and lost the weight, or you think they want to go get the BBL because their body is listen that ways to snatch the booty's looking booty sitting.
Speaker 3: Up, titty sitting up. Okay, they're looking good. Bodies fire.
Speaker 2: And then you see that one friend who's traveling, and you might say, damn, where's mine at?
Speaker 3: When is mine coming?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: What's that with that?
Speaker 2: So let's talk about it. Do you think people confuse envy with being a bad person, because I feel like oftentimes in society we're just kind of discouraged from feeling uncomfortable emotions that are very real and that are a part of the human experience.
Speaker 1: What do you think, Yeah, I mean you nailed it right, Like we are socialized to find ways to negate, avoid suppress us certain emotions and if we're feeling envy, which is an Any emotion that we feel is a normal, valid emotion. We are human, We are supposed to have feelings, right, Yeah, have experiencing envy does not make us a bad person. But I think we've been socialized to think that if we experience envy, something is wrong with us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would agree, and I know we did in the previous episode where we dove in deep on jealousy and envy as the lady. Just in case you missed that, and maybe it was just like, wait, I beg seeing en be confused. Envy is wanting what someone else has, whereas jealousy is the fear of losing something you already possess to someone else. Right, So like, damn, I'm envious she got a bomb ad. I'm just using body because I feel like everybody talking bodies these days.
Speaker 3: She has a bottom ass body. Oh, I'm envious to that.
Speaker 2: Or jealousy would be like, man, I got this mean and.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: He has a wandered eye and them girls at his DM and I don't know, I fear like I might somebody might try to take them, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: With a little example and.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I'm jealous of this, I'm jealous of his I'm jealous of his friendship with this particular woman because I feel threatened that this woman is better than me in some way and she's gonna take my shee end up he's gonna end up moving towards her and away from me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and again, these are human emotions. I feel like sometimes people try to deny them, like, oh, I don't feel that way, but it's natural, right, We're human, and envy it may be the issue, But I think shame is the really it's the big thing here, right, because envy is like the information. It reveals the desire, the values, the dreams, the unmet needs. And so instead of asking like why am I envious or jealous, it might be what is this emotion trying to show me? That's maybe we should start there, right.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, because I think the thing is is that we want to recognize that there are different kinds of envy, different reasons that we're envious. There's healthy envy, toxic envy. There's this comparison game and it there's coming from a scarcity mindset, and then there's the impact of social media, right, and so So I think part of it is making space for understanding the impact of all of those things, right, like understanding the impact of social media, and how we may depending on how much time we engage with social media, we may find ourselves in a constant comparison game, right, And then we may find ourselves in a space if we're already in a scarcity mindset of like, well there's only so much, only so many women can can have that particular body then and that's not me. So then I'm envious of all the women who do have it because I'm not gonna be able to attain it.
Speaker 2: And I'm as a psychologist, how do we how do we stop judging emotions and start just listening to them?
Speaker 1: So I think part of it is is that it's this piece of our emotions are information, Right, So before we try to judge it, let's name it and sit with that, right, literally, just sit with that, like I'm feeling anxious, I'm feeling disappointment, I'm feeling envious. Right, Labeling it, actually putting a name to it kind of reduces the impact the intensity of it, right, And so instead of saying, well, why am I envious? Or I shouldn't be envious? Why do I find myself envying people all the time? Step back and say what is this emotion in response to Because our emotions are never random. Our emotions are signals towards something that we're needing, to memories, to creating some meaning. So again it goes back to that point that emotions are information, and so stepping back and looking at what is the information that envy is trying to show us in this moment?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: And I in preparation for this episode, I was thinking to myself, I'm like, am I jealous? Well, no, I'm not jealous. I don't think I've been jealous in quite some time.
Speaker 3: I would say envy.
Speaker 2: I was sitting with envy because I was like, ooh, there's a lot of things I desire and want, and so I wouldn't say that in this phase in life just because and again, lady, I've been there. I've been jealous, I've been envious, all that, I've been hating ass all that right.
Speaker 3: At some point in my journey.
Speaker 2: But I would say that I'm pretty evolved now, very self aware, very grounded, and there are still things that I want. And so I was really trying to challenge myself, like what do I want these days? And although I don't find myself sitting throughout the day having consistent thoughts of envy in this season of my life, there are two areas that came up that I want to share. I feel very vulnerable, but I want to share them with you down because I want to just sit with it very realistically, because the lady, it's easy for us to say, like.
Speaker 3: Do this and do that when you feel envy, but it's not always that easy.
Speaker 2: And so I was thinking domb about people who have very supportive like family units, specifically like parents who are very active in the life and who can help, who are like right there who can help, and like they just have a very good dynamic, and like me being estranged for my mom, I have multiple dads, and you know, I have good relationships with my dads, but it's just a little different. I'm thinking about like a very I'm thinking about the.
Speaker 3: Is it stereotypical kind of family you and I guess maybe yeah.
Speaker 2: I think about parents when you could be like yo, let me get ten ten rex, you know, like helping, helping in a substantial way. I'm thinking about that, and I was like, ooh, that's something I don't necessarily have. I don't think about it all day, like, oh I wish I had this, you know, but maybe that's shoe lady, right. And so I was thinking about how I cope with the things that I desire that I don't have the other people do have. I was thinking about that, girl, let me tell about the next week. You can probably relate to that. You're ready for this, okay, girl, I was thinking, now, let me just preface this by saying, we are very independent women. Okay, we were raised to be independent women, and we've always you know, we got it out the mud, worked hard, all that shit.
Speaker 3: And I was like, being a kept woman.
Speaker 2: The older I get that shit real appealing, Like I wouldn't mind listen, I wouldn't mind just doing my pursuing my passion and my man just.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm a kept woman. I wouldn't mind.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm a high value woman, as they say. And I was like, there are some women that's the reality they have that. And I was like, okay, let me sit with this. How does it feel to like, I don't know, for you, domins or anything, that you're that you don't. I don't know if I have active envy though. That's the thing, Like I do want these things, but there's not like someone in mind because I don't. I don't want to sit with that doesn't serve me to have the feelings like yes, And so when I see people who have that, like, I'm genuinely happy for them. And there is a narrative that I tell myself that I can go into after you share, like on how I cope with not having it, but I just want to see like what would you add or what do you think about any of that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think for me, the space that I'm at in life is if envy pops up, it doesn't last long. It's very fleeing for me. Yeah, right, because I'm in a space in life where there's the recognition that my journey is meant to be my journey. There's the acceptance and the embracing of my journey is meant to be my journey, right, Yeah, and the recognition that it's meant for me will never miss me. M And so when I have that initial moment of envy, when I see someone that has something that I'm that I'm currently desiring, Yeah, my immediate thought. My immediate thought really is about the or experience. Is the envy, Yeah, that is truly very fleeting. Because then my next thought usually is how did they what did they do to achieve it? M hm? And is that something that needs to be a part of my journey?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And so, and that's where I'm at in life currently. I wasn't always in that space right but for me right now, envy is a very it's a very fleeting emotion that I experience.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you sharing that, and lady like, even if you are there now, don't think we're trying to bypass. Like Dom said, we both have experienced this before. And I love that you mentioned the fleeting aspect of it because that is true, like when you see when I see certain things, it's like, oh dang, that must be nice. But just because of like where I'm going it, I've sat with jealousy and envy before and shit, it's just heavy.
Speaker 3: It weighs me down. It doesn't help me get to where I'm going.
Speaker 2: And so I've really tried my best to have genuine appreciation, love and excitement for other people when they get things, even if I want that and so instead of saying things like oh, I wish it wasn't them, which I usually it was always like I wish it was me versus it being more about the other person. But if you have those thoughts holding space for that, it's more like, Oh, if it's possible for them, it's possible for me. And then going back to what you said down, I'm like, Oh, based on what they had to, you know, possibly do to get that, is that something I want to do? Is it something part of my journey?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: I have also seen people sometimes say things like.
Speaker 2: Oh, well, you don't know what they did to get it, in like more of a negative way where it's like, yeah, you know he's kept. Yeah she's a kept woman, but he might be cheating and he might be doing this. Sometimes people really have genuinely good lives and there ain't no bullshit like someone can be kept and they have a great life and that's that, and that's that's great for them, right, And so we just want to share Oh.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, and for that specific instance, there may be certain they're not. Maybe there usually are strings attached, and the strings that are attached match their values, and so that is good for them, and that's the key that makes it a great situation for them. And I think that's the thing, is that, like when when I look at someone who has something or is doing something that I want, it's it is also the question of does that is how they got that and what they're experiencing? Not only is it is it meant to be part of my journey at some point? But also does this truly align with my values? Now that I'm seeing it in action? Does it actually align with my values? Because there are lots of things that we can see or that we want, that we desire, and until we see it in action, we have certain preconceived notions of what it's going to be like, right, and then you see it in action with someone else, and then that gives space for you to ask, like, Okay, based on what I'm I'm observing it in real time, and yes, my experience is not going to be the same as theirs, But based on what I'm seeing, does this still align with what I want? Is this true? Is this something that should be a part of my journey exactly?
Speaker 2: That is so key and Lady, that's a great transition into some of the practical framework we want to share. Right, So when you do experience v asking yourself what exactly am I envious of? Be specific because maybe once you see that inside that down was sharing, maybe you're like, oh, I actually don't really want that thing. I was just actually wanting this other thing that I thought would get me there, right, So getting clear on that, and then is it what I actually want or is it what I think I'm supposed to want?
Speaker 3: Ooh ooh, okay, yeah as a society to say I need this? Did my family school whoever?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: The next one is what does this reveal about my values? What does it reveal about your values and your vision? Like what are you hoping this does for you? And then finally, what's one tiny action I can take toward my own version? Because, like Don was saying, what's for you will never miss you? And a lot of times, in hindsight, the thing that we thought we wanted, we'll be like, oh my gosh, thank you God, and get that thing that I thought I wanted because it wasn't for me. There was something else for me that served where I was in the season of life.
Speaker 1: And one final thought, maybe just maybe your envy of someone else isn't telling you that someone else has too much. Maybe it's a reminder for you that you've been settling for too little.
Speaker 2: If you want more speaking, collaborations or visibility for your brand, I got to tell you the truth. This is Terry Lomax and I've been a public speaker for over twelve years. I've lended national media, a TED talk, in six figure collaborations without a publicist or a big social media following. And here's what most people don't hear. You don't need a publicist or a massive audience to get booked. Most people are waiting to feel established first, and that waiting is costing them visibility. How many times have you looked up and seeing people with less experience getting opportunities you were fully qualified for. Here's the truth. Opportunities don't go to the most qualified. They go to the people who can clearly communicate their value. Once I learned how to organize my story and position my expertise using a framework, everything changed. If you want my exact pitch emails, word for word, my winning subject lines, and the Saucy Solutions framework, visit get that pitch dot com for a limited time use cold her Space for a special thank you a listener discount. If this is your year to stop hiding and start getting booked, I'll see you inside. Visit get That Pitch dot com, or click the lead in our show notes.
Speaker 1: Thanks for tuning into Cultivating her Space. Remember that while this podcast is all about healing, empowerment, and resilience, it's not a substitute for therapy. If you or someone you know needs support, check out resources like Therapy for Black Girls or Psychology Today. If you love today's episode, do us a favor and share it with a friend who needs some inspiration, or leave us a quick five star review. Your support means the world to us and helps keep this space thriving.
Speaker 2: And before we meet again, repeat after me and move an alignment not urgency.
Speaker 3: What's meant for me?
Speaker 2: Respond to me, chep driving Lady, and tune in next Friday for more inspiration from Cultivating her Space. In the meantime, be sure to connect with us on Instagram at her Space Podcast