Speaker 1: Hey there, Fana Ritos. Welcome to an all new episode of How Rude Tanner Ritos. Our guests today played a character who was always a hot topic between Kimmy and DJ, whether she's bragging about her moped, giving the girls a crash course on Junior High, or taking shop class because she thought it took place at the mall. Kathy Santoni is always a topic of conversation. We are so excited to have Anne Marie McAvoy on the podcast with us today to talk about her iconic role. Welcome and Marie.
Speaker 2: I put on mass scara.
Speaker 1: As long as you assume the position, the position terribly right.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah for mascara guys for makeup.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: What you said, assume the position, assume.
Speaker 1: The position, and then you open your mouth. Yeah, this is a terrible out of context. That sounds terrible, But.
Speaker 4: Hopefully they don't use that as the snippet for this episode. You know what is happenings.
Speaker 3: Kathy s Antoni shows up in a crop top and this is what happens. We're We're so glad to have you on the show though today, Amory, it's I mean, we hadn't seen you from the original show until we did Fuller House, so it has been slightly more recently, but still Kathy Santoni is a fan favorite.
Speaker 4: Just so you know, people are very excited.
Speaker 2: Well I'm a favorite. Oh no, no, yeah, yeah, you guys favorite. So you know how long it took? So I remember it was something like nine months, maybe longer than that, like like you could grow a person in a length of time between when they asked me about Fuller House and when like a very very bigrudged, not begrudgingly, that's not the great word. I was not going to say Yes'm not going to say it's not going to Oh, Jeff called, Jeff left messages you there were we talked on the phone. I was still not sold. And this is like nine months, right that this toll period. I think you'd reach out here. And then finally my my now nineteen year old, said I do I think, mom, I think kind of cool.
Speaker 3: That's like, you know what when your nineteen year old was like that would be cool, You're like that never happens.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm doing it right.
Speaker 2: You have to do like I better do that like lightning shell strike. So that was that was that.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad that you did, because, oh my goodness, what a great, what a great cameo from Kathy Santoni. But let's go back to nineteen eighty nine where it all began with the Back to School Blues episode, which we were just referring to with the Meskara.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, what a great I mean, what just such a classic episode. I mean, that's one of the ones I think of very often. I mean, you know now that I've seen it, but no, it's one of the ones that I that I like, is such is so indicative of like Kimmy and DJ's relationship, and and again like meeting the the only the in name only person that we've heard of Kathy Santoni, Like that was a big deal.
Speaker 1: What do you remember about your audition?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: I have so many questions? What was what? What was this your first acting job? What was your audition? Like? How did you feel when you said audition?
Speaker 2: I'm like, what, I barely remember most of the weeks of relatable shit, So but I don't remember more more than you guys do. I'm sure like you weren't watching the episodes. I was, but I listened to your podcast episode yesterday, like full on the whole thing, because we're like, right now we have dogs, we like legos.
Speaker 4: So yeah, do you remember auditioning?
Speaker 2: I mean I remember the latest memory of that in any way shape.
Speaker 1: Or had you seen like that you've seen before you came door set? Okay?
Speaker 3: You know, so I started acting when I was six, So you started acting at six, which is obviously Kathy.
Speaker 4: What did you you were at the audition?
Speaker 1: I was at your audition read like No, there was like a.
Speaker 2: You were a third callback or something like that.
Speaker 4: Oh maybe like a like a chemistry reading.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah that's what I remember. That's possible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course it's possible. Kathy's Antonio. This was a big deal. So they had to get it right, you know.
Speaker 2: Right, you know, they knew so much then they knew like they really It's almost like they had a vision for a show.
Speaker 1: So what did they tell you about the character of Kathy Santoni, like in your sides or in the character description? Did they say, you know, she's like yes.
Speaker 2: So I played two types of characters at that time, uh, because I was short, so you know, because like us all and so I did DumbLand, you know, ditzy and sarcasm right, like, oh really sarcastic. So I had a Family Ties episode that was like I chewed up the inside of my cheek just trying not to laugh, like during this like Michael Keaton scene. So I'd done a lot of like girl scout things and that was so funny in my But that was like that was a lot like the catchy Santoni character, I think, which was just like innocence but like so like naive but like an accidental I'm wearing that red top and that little black skirt and I just kind of accidentally showed up and like that was the thing to do. And I have no idea what your question was. I'm really bad at that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what what did you know about Kathy Santoni before you went into the audition? Did they say she's a she's a ditsy character? Is she you know? Did they talk about the crop top? Like what did they.
Speaker 3: She's Like, I have no idea other than I gave the social Security number and possibly kidney away.
Speaker 4: I don't know what happened in your vision.
Speaker 2: Talked about my upper body tour, So yeah, well but I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: Then, Okay, we will Will. We reviewed this episode of like a month or two ago, and I my cheeks got so hot watching rewatching that scene where I had to stuff my As a thirteen, I was so mortified, mortified to wear the crop top or I.
Speaker 2: Was mortified because my belly, Oh my, I would never very Yeah, I went to Catholic school, like this was not so I was super uncomfortable and I thought it was just the baddest thing ever. Oh I know.
Speaker 3: I know, but that's I mean, that's what it was. And then that is very much what this business really makes you feel or think about. And even then when you are then you're like super skinny and you're like, oh, I don't look like that, Like there's no you know again what we do ourselves as women.
Speaker 4: And sort of but like I am right. But for watching it, it was it was a very eye opening thing.
Speaker 3: We went, oh, this is I don't know for like this now this feels this hits a little different in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're like, I don't know anyway, but.
Speaker 2: Moving out. Look, we all stopped at the same time.
Speaker 4: As a horror fan, I have to say this. You you were Sarah and children born. Yes, I love. Sorry, I love horror movie.
Speaker 1: Do you know?
Speaker 3: I like, Okay, I was gonna that was what I was gonna ask. Was you were in a horror movie? Are you one of those people? That's because there are some people that are in them and it are like, I would never watch it.
Speaker 4: I'm terrified of this right now.
Speaker 3: I I love watching it, but AV knows that terrify me.
Speaker 4: And I'm then You're like, I'm interested.
Speaker 2: So no, yeah, I'm terrified.
Speaker 1: No. Not.
Speaker 4: How old were you when you did that movie? And do you remember much about that?
Speaker 2: I turned eight on the set of that one, so I looked like I was six, But so I start out, it came off from Ireland and I was six. I did like our chie bunker was my first.
Speaker 4: In the family. Oh my god, yeah, wow, you got to be the.
Speaker 2: Question this episode. Oh I had a thick accent?
Speaker 4: Classic.
Speaker 2: Did I punched him? I might have punched him in the stomach or maybe that was somebody else him. I'm not actually sure. We have to ask, you know, we should ask them stuff? Is my mom? So I know, right, our moms know we're your stage parents. It was you know, stage guardian, stage person. How do we be inclusive now they and she had to that was that was her job. We need more from Ireland and she's like, I can go work, or we can do this together and try it. And as it turned out, we had we had a week a week where we're back to back. She was doing full out with two different kids.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, as a as like a set guardian.
Speaker 2: For my brother, for my latest brother.
Speaker 4: He was in, Oh for your brother.
Speaker 2: Oh, this is deep guy he was because you don't know, because he was an extra.
Speaker 1: What episode did he get a credit? Was he credited?
Speaker 2: I don't think so, because you would know that that is not as an extra. Probably, yeah he was. It was kindergarten classrooms he was in.
Speaker 1: With Oh my god, we am there are well we haven't, we haven't gotten there.
Speaker 3: You know, Kathy Santoni's younger brother would be in Michelle's class because you know they're all sort of at the same school going through things. So that that tracks right actually yeah right, But we had no idea we had generations.
Speaker 4: Yes, we have the Nackavoy slash Santoni's.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes you did, right, Yeah, it's uh what a lineage. Well, I mean that was the time bring up. I mean I think we were in this like protected time where if we were older, we it was it was dangerous. And if we were younger, like like thinking like Nickelodeon was aft kind of after us, Yeah, dangerous and if we were maybe certainly we were in a different place, like a different production company, a different alright, well we would have been da We know.
Speaker 3: We were very lucky on Miller Boyette in our on that little bubble.
Speaker 4: I mean, we've had Lincoln.
Speaker 3: On the show, and she talked about her experiencing step by steps same thing where it was like the producers and it came from the top like loved and nurtured the kids on their show.
Speaker 4: And we were we were We always.
Speaker 3: Talked about we were very very lucky because we did have kind of a nice little bubble of normalcy. Dare I say amongst amongst those shows like we there were so many kids on them, and we knew it was just it was a it was a good safe environment.
Speaker 4: We had wonderful studio teachers, we.
Speaker 3: Had wonderful set parents, we had amazing producers like it just nobody would have gotten away with I think anything, you know what I mean, It was it was a it was a family. So yeah, that was very was it like that on like bigger like the movies you did, like Children of the.
Speaker 2: Corners because he liked these kids. So there was a lot of us were also like kind of that cohort was in who was in movies, Danny Cantaro who I dated.
Speaker 3: Ah, he came back and I was gonna say, I was like back in the day, back in.
Speaker 2: The day, I'm watching the Lisa Show and like she wow spills the news and I'm like, uh huh right.
Speaker 4: We're all like we were all like right and yeah, yeah, dat is right right right.
Speaker 3: Such a sweetheart. Here's what I'll tell you. There is no rhyme or reason of this. We don't make sense. It's my little ADHD neurodivergent brain is all over the map.
Speaker 4: So here we are.
Speaker 2: That's why we would hang out.
Speaker 4: There we go, let's see. This is why, this is why it makes sense because was going to have a point.
Speaker 2: Place at the time. Well, this is It's just we're going through points q, R and X and like flipping into another dimension and then like back and then we'll land the plane exactly. Yes, you and I would hang out. You remember this, But you and I would hang out, just like when we weren't filming, because that was in downtime. I remember hanging out with Jody and then so but that's our memory. That's why I didn't say no the first time was because of you too. So as soon as it was like podcasts, I'm like, yeah, that's the reason I didn't because you guys. I remember Jody as being the did you have a big wheel?
Speaker 4: That was the little one.
Speaker 3: But I was always hanging out with Ashley and Mary Kate like I was very close to them. So yeah, I'm sure at some point I was riding around on it because I would write as an adult, so I remember.
Speaker 2: I remember like it was a little bit borderline whether you should actually be on it, but you were on it.
Speaker 4: There's I get on it today, Like I said, no, there's no borderline, there's no there's no rules I can fit.
Speaker 2: That's a good clip. I think maybe that would. So I remember you and your cool beans. I said cool beans. For longest time, you were just such personality. Your personally was huge. So I remember that from like downtime from class and because I get my homework done like in five seconds and then you'd already be done with school, and so we get to hang out. I remember Andrea is.
Speaker 1: Said, right, absolute, it's.
Speaker 4: Andrea, not Andrea. So you're good and well.
Speaker 1: I'm not offended either way, but I say, and.
Speaker 4: Or you can just call.
Speaker 1: We're close enough, you can call me a b oh rude.
Speaker 2: Okay, oh yay, thank you very much. I'm staring at your little dont.
Speaker 1: It's a purse. Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 2: I have some scripts. I have some uh huh, I have some video behind the scenes and picture.
Speaker 1: Got to send them to us, will you.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, you are pretty well.
Speaker 1: Get in touch with you. And she's yeah, a lot younger than us, so she knows how to work with the technologies.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she actually knows, right right, She's like, We're like, well, I don't know. I have a home Incligion somewhere. Hold on, let me dig it out.
Speaker 1: We'll send a messenger over.
Speaker 4: We send you a fact. I'll send you a fact.
Speaker 2: I'm like, no, I expect people like show up with with changes at my door in Cypress. Oh, now that's right.
Speaker 3: You lived in Cypress too, and so we were. We also lived in Cypress, and so we were. No, it's fine, I.
Speaker 4: Don't live there. Anymore. But yeah, I grew on Cypress. Yeah, so it's fine.
Speaker 3: I'm if someone wants to go searching Cypress for us, we're not there, yes, but yeah Cypress. I mean it was where I went to elementary school. I went to and we lived in the same neighborhood. And Andrew was also an Orange County I so the three of us had slips, you know, we were definitely we were.
Speaker 4: We were leaving at the same time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hitting the same like doughnut chop or call right. Yeah, oh my goodness. Oh, paper chase was the first one I remember. So I have to do paper chase with John.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, uh huh.
Speaker 2: And they wanted me to not have a shirt on.
Speaker 1: Okay, what did your mom say about that? What did your guardian say?
Speaker 2: She did not think that that was no, it was my mom all the time. And she how how old were you, mama clause Yeah seven? Oh, so it's a second year of paper Chase, not right. And they wanted me to change change pajamas. So who was and I was the mom? I was? I was the mom in a strange, strange form right at like age seventh. It was June Lockhart and it was Anne Lockhart who June Lockhart.
Speaker 4: June Lockhart was the actress.
Speaker 2: So was Anne?
Speaker 4: Oh was it? Oh that's right? There was the daughter right right, right, right, right right?
Speaker 2: I think I can't think of who's the one who played my mom in it? So she was a law student and she had to get childcare. I mean it's super relevant now, like where are you going to? And I had I think I had to come to class or it's amazing, right and just you know they're so close though, right, so much progress has been made in.
Speaker 4: Right, But so you got so you did that at seven? What was that like? Was that like your first big.
Speaker 2: Yes? Sorry, I'm not sure what you want me to change? Sick? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Everything, everything, change everything, sirih do it please?
Speaker 4: Who know?
Speaker 3: That's all we had to do was just ask Siri like, hey, Siri, can we have childcare and healthcare?
Speaker 4: And you'd be like, yeah, I'm on it.
Speaker 2: Why I've just been waiting age income equality? You know it's coming up. Women's Equality Day is coming up.
Speaker 4: It is, and we still don't have the era A pass. But we'll leave that for another time.
Speaker 2: Uh, well we should we should do something on that. Okay, I wrote something so I'll send it to your.
Speaker 4: Fantastic so so you did it, go paper Chase. Then Children of the Corn.
Speaker 2: They have no idea. I was on Magnum P.
Speaker 3: I was Magnum PI and his mustache, Tom Selleck, Hardcastle, McCormick, that one I do remember, Yes, Invitation to Hell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was the mini serious era.
Speaker 3: Yes, the mini series era, and the era of like TV movies that they'd give you thirty days to movie the week, movie the week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thirty days.
Speaker 1: That's ridiculously generous.
Speaker 3: Well no, but then it would be at least now you get twelve.
Speaker 2: But you know you we filmed Children of the Corn in thirty days.
Speaker 3: I mean I yeah, we filmed in like eleven or twelve. Now, so for these some of these, yeah, so I would I'd love thirty days.
Speaker 2: Twenty yeah, I dig, but no, so let's get stuff done in five days. The sitcom can we follow that model? Right?
Speaker 3: Sitcoms are a nice little machine though you kind of jump in. It's got a grind.
Speaker 2: Oh I didn't finish selling what I remember? I remember Andrew for doing that's we would.
Speaker 4: Not always think of me with you.
Speaker 2: I get to practice my craft, so as a kid to be able to bounce stuff back and forth and to practice and to get better and to practice timings, and you're.
Speaker 1: Ran lines together. I remember and worked on.
Speaker 2: By and absolutely and it was fun. You know, as a kid. I didn't do it because I wanted to be an actress at all. I did it was a job. I'm going to college money all that. But when you do something, you want to do it well. And I took it pretty seriously. I didn't know there was another roommate to take it. You go in, you do your best right, sometimes they pick you, and then you really want to get better at it. And the feedback, especially from the audience and the it's just going getting so excited, like you know, ready to walk out on Friday night or Friday whenever we did it, Yeah, Friday, Yeah, yeah, that's right. Oh that was. And so that's what I'm remember about you is really getting to have that time because Candice is you know the rady else is busier, and you were on, but you were you were on so much every week and then at the end, you know, yeah, that's what I remember, and you were that was really fun. So that's why you too.
Speaker 1: You were on some some pretty heavy episodes too that you were. You did thirteen Candles, which was a spin the bottle, Spin the Bottle episode, and you did the just Say No Way Drinking episode episode and Santoni's there for what was mister i Q? You were in season three and season four mister i Q, which I don't remember at all.
Speaker 2: So there was a that was it was a Connie Chunk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Stephanie loved Connie Chunk. Connie Chunk as a joke.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, but again with the Connie Chunk, well, she was, you know, it was a role model, was very important woman.
Speaker 2: He was like a school yes, but that was I didn't understandn't know who she was or why they were making those jokes. But we were in a classroom and I said, I had a couple of lines. I said a dumb thing because you know, I just filled out the people who were in the university. Oh yeah, there was There was to be a fifth one and I it was the exit of my acting career.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, I want to talk about this because you and I have a very similar trajectory of leaving Hollywood after Full House, because I did too. At eighteen, I left Hollywood. I was like bye and I went to college and I got my master's degree after that too, And I know it's very similar. We're all like big on education. So tell me about that decision, because I want to compare stories about which one about about when you decide? Did you decide to leave Hollywood? Was that a conscious choice a deliberate choice? Oh?
Speaker 2: Always?
Speaker 1: I was always going to It was like I'm going to college by Hollywood.
Speaker 2: It was for college. It was to get money for college. Okay, I did it. So I never thought of thought that I was going to stand so people would and people would look at me like, she's got to be pulling my leg. There's no, she's not. Actually, everybody wants to be like famous, don't they like when we're in the bubble, and and I just I that's not what I wanted. I really wanted. I wanted to be a mom. I wanted to be I have a PhD. I wanted to be a professor. Those are the things. Yeah, But you know what, sometimes my husbands don't like.
Speaker 1: Don't they don't like that you were a former child actor, that you were driven.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so we have that similarity. We have that story too.
Speaker 4: I heard I don't know anything you mentioned that, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, jo can't really, Yes, Jody can't relate to that, right, because really you just exist in the television set. When they turn it off, you disappear.
Speaker 1: So did you when you went to college? Was that? Did you get recognized? Did you feel famous? Or did you just feel like you fit right in?
Speaker 2: I mean as much as anybody can feel like they fit right in in college, which is not really but I feel like I fit in more than they're than all.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, that's a great statement because I felt the same way. I was like, this is where I'm supposed to be. It just felt like a very natural progression. And I people weren't like kids are nicer in college, Like they're a little more mature at least than high schoolers who just want to make fun of you and call your names. Oh in college, you didn't have that.
Speaker 2: Oh god, no, you were so noticeable.
Speaker 4: Well so was so so was the a B.
Speaker 3: I feel like, oh yeah, no, when I like moving into the dorms, I would come down the hall and someone would start playing.
Speaker 4: The full house. No, or they write.
Speaker 3: Like notes on my like the outside of one to ever think of that?
Speaker 1: Right, Oh, that sucks. Yeah yeah no, yeah, yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there's probably creepy stuff too, just like I get weird more of just six year old version of me, Like that's not okay, right, however old I am. Now you think that I'm that little girl in the movie and that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, No, you.
Speaker 1: Went to school for psychology and got your and education education. Okay, so yes, what drew you to undergrad? What drew you to psychology and education? Of what was your life plan?
Speaker 2: My life plan was to be the first female pope for the first okay president of it. That's what I would plan. Is like a thing that I remember thinking that was like the thing to say. But I knew I wanted to go to college. I knew I went to my PhD. And along the way I and that was my fourth grade. That's what I decided. Wow, I have the nose. That doesn't even tell you that I can't.
Speaker 1: You need you need to blow your nose. That's to assume the position.
Speaker 2: And no, no, I need to go. I need to.
Speaker 1: Do you need a netty pot? We can take a five.
Speaker 2: And because I have that, right, I could do that. I could demonstrate for you on.
Speaker 1: This that this is a very special episode of Tannerto's.
Speaker 2: Ya this week on a special episode.
Speaker 1: Yes, so you were always very very driven. You knew what you wanted and you went after it. I mean, it's so afforable that you weren't. You weren't just like, oh, I'm just want to be you know, I want to be famous and I want to be you know, it's so easy to get stuck in that Hollywood trap.
Speaker 2: I didn't want to be seen. I wanted to be able to be seen, and I think people don't realize that about kids these days, like to. I mean, I'm actually without words as I try to describe how it is to go about the world thinking that you, you know, always you had to be on these If somebody saw you doing such and such, then you know, then it was over or then it was the price. That was kind of message that I heard. I don't know want you know my mom actually said.
Speaker 1: And this was pretty internet too, this was I'm sure you cell phones pre social media.
Speaker 2: Goodness, Yah, goodness you've always been because I don't think.
Speaker 1: Would you call yourself an introvert or an extrovert? And have you always been that way?
Speaker 4: Were you an extrovert that needs time alone to reach.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's why good distinction. Are you that too, me?
Speaker 1: Yes, joys that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I can go out and I can go do things, but then like don't talk and then I need like like then I have over peopled myself.
Speaker 2: Does that work for you?
Speaker 4: Depends on what I do during the downtime.
Speaker 3: If I do something sort of meditative, if I'm like I don't know, building legos or writing, or even if I'm just kind of like zoned out like in my hammock for a couple hours reading a book or something, it does recharge me a little bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So do you have kids?
Speaker 1: Both of us do. Yeah together, but we have kids.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, we we do. We we have pleasing together. It's we co parent.
Speaker 1: Zoe and Felicity looked alike a lot like for a long time, but.
Speaker 4: Yes they did. Wait are you the are you the father of my children? Yeah? Our kids sixteen and fourteen almost.
Speaker 1: Fortunate minor twenty and I was seventeen. So we all have we all have older kids.
Speaker 2: I have a nineteen and then I have it almost I have thirteen almost fourteen, and uh, we're in it.
Speaker 1: This is like a support emotional support group form.
Speaker 2: Can we have that? We have like a whole podcast on being being a chest actresses were growing up to be parents of.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just parents in general.
Speaker 1: I feel like, what do you think so especially this is the hardest age to parent, Like, is it the the younger the early teen years, the later teen years, or the adult child who which I call the baby adult in the house.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, okay, so tell me what is how old is it?
Speaker 1: My baby adult is twenty years old and he's great.
Speaker 2: He's that's a baby. That's a that's not a baby baby adult. So there's some thinking and here's the science for you that this period of emerging adulthood you can be considered an emerging adult, not yet an adult, up through age thirty five. While that's five, Wait.
Speaker 1: So thirty I feel like I'm still an emerging adult forty eight.
Speaker 2: So I'd like to go back to the I don't think I'm in personally right, that would be great.
Speaker 4: Quite enough of this emerging I would like to go back.
Speaker 2: I would like to I would like to emerge re emergemges.
Speaker 1: So was your nineteen year old emerging as an adult? Is?
Speaker 2: Oh? He's dude, he's been a night. He's also nervous. Oh I should not say that, No, I can't. Yeah, we're we're we have we have some ADHD tendencies.
Speaker 3: Solid yeah yeah, yeah yeah. My house is yeah, everyone except my poor husband. So he's just like.
Speaker 2: Wow, yeah yeah, but you still have.
Speaker 4: The well the newest one. Yes, yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: Sorry, how did you manage to figure it out? Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got divorced three times.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't say that, you know, it's say I'd say that it finally figured it out in there.
Speaker 4: That's the key word, that finally than.
Speaker 2: Ever do here you heard here first, Kathy Santoni will it's more likely that I will become enough.
Speaker 3: Actually, I would like, I'm and you got to you got to start somewhere. If you want to become the first female pope.
Speaker 2: I feel like.
Speaker 4: You don't just go taking over the.
Speaker 2: Oh. I would not want that job. I would just know to say masks. Oh god, no, right.
Speaker 3: I mean maybe mainly for the hats and the capes everything else not so yeah, no, I'm not so s.
Speaker 1: Well, just pull out, pull out the red crop top. You know, we'll get we'll get a great.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Right, oh it wasn't even mine. Like you know, how you bring wordrom with you, that's not something I had to.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you were like, I do not own this.
Speaker 2: Oh the black skirt I had, but I would never have worn of me really, crops. We were thirteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're so smarter now I'm thirteen. Wow.
Speaker 3: But also yeah, but it also like then I see how kids dressed today and I'm like, they're all like, it's sort of but it was. It was more the like miniaturized version of like a like a white Snake video, is what, you know what I mean? It was like the fans that weld see like a Motley Crue concert, except they.
Speaker 2: Were Sha Chandra Chandra. Shanda, the other one in the episode, thought she was the coolest. She's like, look at them, they're like.
Speaker 1: Like the the mean girl in the mea the mean girl.
Speaker 2: She was like their Brian shrimp.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, what was it?
Speaker 1: See we watched this a month ago and we've already forgotten.
Speaker 3: Uppies, guppies, Amieba's guppies, something like that.
Speaker 2: Guppies.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Well, yeah, our fans are so devoted they they're writing on our Instagram right now what it is. Because they're like they know everything, we know nothing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd like to see a discord chat like alongside, because if we did this, they would be like answering.
Speaker 1: We've had several Fancy, there'll be a I could I could expectin it if I wasn't so.
Speaker 2: Distracted by how pasty and round my face looks.
Speaker 1: You look gorgeous. You look gorgeous, say gorgeous. Contour while contour.
Speaker 3: Now it's now the podcast is becoming get Ready. We're getting ready with Kathy Santoni today.
Speaker 4: Here we go, get yours, get out your crop tops and your hair crympt. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you remember crimped hair?
Speaker 3: Yeah, this episode that we just watched for the next recap episode that we're going to do, Canvas has un ironically crimped hair the whole episode, like not like, oh my god, it's a throwback, but like that was right were they was the triangle shaped barrel or the little Yeah do you remember they.
Speaker 2: Have different attachments, like the different plates that that popped into it. Yep.
Speaker 4: Oh, the eighties just fried all of our Yeah.
Speaker 2: Mine still has oh.
Speaker 1: A little wispy, But do you have great hair? You've always had that great curly hair. Tony from your first appearance right now, look at that hairy face.
Speaker 4: That great Irish hair is what it is? Great Irish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we don't. I don't have a thin hair. Prom my kids hair is I they are. They're like they mastered like ringlets like their hair and I have the same hair curly and we did not have those products.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm saying. They don't. Yeah, all of these kids now they got to skip out.
Speaker 3: On the on the awkward phase, right, we got to live ours in front of everyone, you know, and now they just skipped it over entirely.
Speaker 2: And yeah, here's the thing, because I'm a researcher who studies this y, they feel just as awkward in their awesomeness now as we felt in what other people thought was awesome. You know, I wanted to be Shawna Whipple. I think that's what Shawna Whipples. She was the right the white snake girl.
Speaker 1: So you're you're an assistant professor at U c IRV.
Speaker 2: I'm not. I was an assistant I was a tenured professor and as a hot news as of just a couple of days ago, since I am no longer I left you.
Speaker 1: Did, oh breaking news.
Speaker 2: I didn't here on how right.
Speaker 1: Well, there goes all the questions I was going to ask about that. Well, that means another door is waiting for you to open. And there are so many doors, yes, so many doors, so many, so many.
Speaker 2: Doors for them. The fifth episode that didn't exist is when I was I was, I was done. I wanted to be a normal kid. I didn't want to. I wanted to be able to cut my hair or like paint right with markers so that I got a hand modeling gig. You were, you know, And I wanted to go to birthday parties and I wanted to There was a ski trip planned and we're ready to go on a ski trip. And I got called to work and I went, oh my god, I don't want to do it. I don't want to do it. I don't And that happened on other ones too, and I remember her saying, so you know in this tone too, so you know that if you don't do it, probably your last one. And I said, I know, oh, and you should. You're okay with that, I am.
Speaker 1: That's great that you had the forethought to know yourself confident.
Speaker 2: Now I was terrified. I was terrified that I wasn't going to exist as anything outside. You know, I was the kid who did commercials and was on the random and you couldn't be sure if people liked you for that or or for you, and you know, self esteem is such I study Adolyst development. As I research on it, I teach classes. I taught a whole uh version of the course, like a whole quarter of the course of Adelst development around Full House. You I used examples from Full House because the quarter before I was out it at the end of the core. So I people would find out, like at the end of of you know, ten weeks or sixteen weeks of taking classes, they'd go, like, professor, come up like really quietly after class, like and they said, so, I was watching TV last night and I saw I saw you. It was that you on Full House. I go, You've an exam tomorrow. What are you doing watching?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: This is not what you need to be doing. Crack op in a book, but yeah, right right. But they were there were kauds. They were really good students, and I mean, how sweet is that? And they'd like come up quietly and like privately, until finally it was like really close in the beginning of the semester, like close to the beginning of the semester that I was outed and then everybody finds out and it's like, oh, and you can't really talk about myself. So then I just leaned into it and did examples. So we had examples. You teach about, I love these sexuality, you teach about, drinking, about family, about peers about so that like, it's the best show. I mean, it's a fantastic show.
Speaker 1: Full house hit on all of those topics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very well, yeah, all right, all the biggies and the identity, your sense of who you are and trying on makeup and being his friends and fighting with your friends, and I mean it really that's what it is.
Speaker 1: Was yeah, yeah, wow, that's brilliant. That's brilliant. And then I got pre into it, and then you got pregnant.
Speaker 2: That had three found out later that the episode that no, No, Scathy's Antoni got pregnant episode, the one right is the one where she so it was talking about the show was talking yeah about, but I wasn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's so that was the one you were supposed to be in, but you were just like, Nope, I'm not doing another one.
Speaker 2: I wasn't supposed to be in it. I was called we had plans to go skiing. Oh oh, I know, I'll say it anyway. I think my mom said she made up an excuse like a broken leg or something like that. Broken. I don't remember how this went down. We'd have to ask them. I don't want to get her in trouble. But she was. She knows, you know, she was around. She We did it. We were a team. We were in Africa from the for five months. I turned twelve in Kenya. In Kenya, they decorated my tent with lights.
Speaker 1: So what an eclectic life you have lived, a child actor to professor to whatever is on the horizon for you next. This is just been a wonderful conversation about your life and your memories.
Speaker 3: We are so glad that we got to have the infamous, well deserved infamy. Uh Kathy Santoni on the show with us, And it was so fun to have you on Fuller and to now get to talk to you on Howard dan Rito's. We've just we've loved having you as a guest. Thank you so much for coming on, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was so great to catch up.
Speaker 2: But we have Dog episode that we need to have some questions for you know you if you funs take a look at them, I just think, yeah, I don't want another wait millionaires, brace you guys again.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, no, no, we will have these reunions more often.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So great to see.
Speaker 3: And well then you know, the next time Kathy Santoni comes up, we'll have to we have.
Speaker 1: There's a lot more episodes, right, yeah.
Speaker 3: All right, thank you so much and it's been a pleasure you Well. That concludes our interview with Anne Marie McAvoy, known to many of you as Kathy Santoni. Of course, I mean she has so many fun memories, like you said, an eclectic career from you know, a twelfth birthday in Kenya to working on Full House and then Fuller and Children of the Corn all.
Speaker 4: Sorts of stuff.
Speaker 3: But we had such a blast talking to her, so much fun to bring back some of these these ogs from the original Full House.
Speaker 4: But thank you so much for listening, you guys.
Speaker 3: And remember, if you want to find us on Instagram, you can check us out at how Rude Podcast. You can also send us an email at Howard Podcast at gmail dot com. And you know what, I would say like and subscribe to the podcast wherever you're listening to it so that you can get all the newest episodes.
Speaker 4: As soon as they are released, which you know you want.
Speaker 2: You know you're justly to hear this.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah absolutely, But anyway, thanks for joining us for another fun episode. You guys, we love you, and remember the world is small. No, yeah, yeah, the world is small.
Speaker 4: The world is small. But the world is small.
Speaker 3: But the cornfield is full, yes, yes, but the cornfield.
Speaker 1: Is well done. Yeah, I'm glad you didn't say the crop top is full.
Speaker 4: No no, well no, that's actually but yeah, yeah, whether the world the world? Oh how did I miss this?
Speaker 1: The world is small.
Speaker 4: The world is small, and so is Kathy Santoni's Crompton.
Speaker 1: I good, just kissed, see better the second