Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Final Hour on this Tuesday, Dan and the Danets Dan Patrick Show. The Great Bob Costas will stop by coming up here in a little bit. He was on the call for the Yankees game against the Royals, won by the Royals. You got playoff baseball this afternoon. Phillies at the Mets five Eastern Dodgers padres tonight. NHL season opens tonight. Chiefs handled the Saints twenty six thirteen and they stay undefeated. Here we'll all check in with the Colts. Colts with the Jets coming up, as they've made a decision with Robert Sala. They have decided to fire Robert Sala. And here we are five games in, so we'll talk to somebody who covers the team that'll be in a moment. Last team to start five and oh and miss the playoffs the twenty sixteen Vikings. Last team to start five and OHO and win the Super Bowl was the twenty fifteen Broncos. As we look at to Vikings undefeated, you also have the Kansas City Chiefs undefeated as well. Eight seven to seven three DP show email address DP at Danpatrick dot com, Twitter, handle a TP show. Good morning if you're watching on Peacock and our radio affiliates around the country. So back to Robert Sala. He was fired about an hour ago. Brian Costello covers the Jets for The New York Post kind enough to join us on short notice? How did we get to this point? Brian? Was he with us?
Speaker 3: I don't think he's ready just yet.
Speaker 2: Then? Oh, okay, all right, we'll get to Brian here coming up in a moment. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. Yes, PAULI, you know.
Speaker 4: What's one weird thing? How tenuous was this? The Jets lose to the Broncos by one point. They had a comeback the other day and they lost by six. So because of seven points, you fire your head coach because I don't think a four and one team as far as a coach, I know it's a loss of a loss, but doesn't feel that far away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, isn't he like twenty and thirty six? Yes, that's the reason why I got fired. Well, let me bring in Brian Costello covers the Jets for the New York Post. How did we get to this point, Brian.
Speaker 5: Dan, I'm still processing it, but you know, I think this season, there was such high expectations for the Jets with Aaron Rodgers coming back, lots of super Bowl talk, and they've looked They looked bad the last two weeks. You know, it was a one point lost to Denver, and if Greg Zerline makes a fifty yard field goal, maybe things are different. But they didn't. They had fifteen penalties in that game, thirteen that were accepted, five fallse starts, and you know, there's a clamoring there was. The fans were starting to get restless, and I think Woody Johnson listens to the fans. I think he spends a lot of time on Twitter and he has people in his family that do and I think he you know that Sunday. I also think, Dan, you can't overlook the game being in London on Sunday. He was the ambassador of the United Kingdom. He know, he's got a lot of friends over there. I'm sure he was embarrassed with the way they played and that probably played a factor in this as well.
Speaker 2: So you're surprised.
Speaker 5: I'm surprised.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I look, I've been asked after last week, I was asked a bunch of times beat by people on different shows and stuff, and you know, I thought, they have a stretch here where they have three standalone games in a row. They were on an NFL network Sunday morning, they play Monday Night Football this week against the Bills, and then they play Sunday Night Football in Pittsburgh. So that's three games where you have a national audience. I said to people, if they lose those three games, then I think he's in trouble because that then it's you know, all the morning shows are talking about him, everyone's talking about it. Then I think something could happen. But again, the Jets haven't changed coaches mid season since nineteen seventy six when Lou Holtz quit, So this is not like and they've had you know, Rich Kotite was the coach they went one to fifteen. Adam Gase was the coach. They were oh and thirteen to start that season. Todd Bowles last season, there was clear there was calls for them to fire him midseason. Everyone knew he was gone and it hasn't happened. So this is this is surprising because the Jets just this is not the way they've operated in a long long time.
Speaker 2: I wondered, if you fire Robert Sala, if you're still going to try to get Davante Adams, Like, I don't know if those two are connected or not.
Speaker 5: Brian, Yeah, I don't see a connection there. Davante doesn't know Sala. I mean, Davante's tie to the Jets is obvious with the quarterback, So that's that's the tie. And I don't think this changes anything in terms of DeVante Adams. Yeah, I don't think. I don't think that's related in I think this is just purely about what what Woody Johnson's seen the last couple of weeks on the field.
Speaker 2: Well, I didn't know if they would not fire him, they'd given the benefit of the doubt if they were going to bring in Davante Adams.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, I'm not sure.
Speaker 5: I'm not sure if that I think this is I think the DeVante Adams thing is more than Joe Joe Douglas negotiating that right now, this is Woody Johnson deciding to move on from Sala.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 2: This is crazy, but we shouldn't be surprised. But we are surprised. Why is that? It's the Jets.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, Dan, if you had me on nine days ago, right, they beat the Patriots on Thursday Night Football, They look good, right, Rogers was Rogers was Rogers. He was controlling it. Everyone's like, oh, they're going to the super Bowl and then here they go. They hit their stride. They figured it out. I mean, Dad, we were asking questions that week before the Broncos game of you know, do you guys have to handle prosperity? Well here like, do you guys.
Speaker 6: Not have to get big hits?
Speaker 5: We were literally asking these questions in the locker room two weeks ago. And now he's fired, Like it's this league. Is the NFL is insane? Which is how weak the week it is? And you know, obviously there was a case to be made that Sala should have been fired last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, but he got.
Speaker 5: Kind of got a mulligan because Aaron Rodgers missed the whole season and they brought him back. But you could tell talking to Woody Johnson, we talked to him at NFL honors before the Super Bowl. He was basically saying like this is it, Like this is your last chance. And so I think he entered on shaky ground and then things just got shaker in the last two weeks here.
Speaker 2: How do you think the players are going to react to this.
Speaker 5: I talked to a couple of morning. They're pretty surprised right now. They didn't see this coming. You know, players are pretty resilient and not much phases them. So I think I don't think it's changed as much. Dan. That's my issue with this is the offense has been the problem. Yeah, solves the defensive coach. The defense gave up ten points to the Broncos. They gave up sixteen points to the Vikings. One touchdown was a pick six, right, So the defense hasn't been the problem. The offense has been the problem. What does this change offensively? You've now made the defensive coordinator who basically designed the defense along with Salah the head coach. Maybe a change in voice helps. But to me, Dan, this is a ten and seven team. You know, That's what I thought coming in the season. I still think they can go ten and seven, and now it's but now you know, if they win a few games in a row, it's gonna be oh well, oh Brick did it where? I just I just don't think this changed as much.
Speaker 2: Do you think whatdy Johnson gave Aaron Rodgers a heads up before this happened.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's the that's the question right now that I have. I would think he probably would have, but I don't know that for sure right now, But I think if you didn't run it by them, that that's an interesting decision.
Speaker 2: You always have drama in your job. Is that a good thing? That you always have drama?
Speaker 5: It gives me job security. Dan, I'll say that, you know, this beats never boring. When the New York Post makes the list of jobs and maybe we can get maybe we can live without this one, Jets Beat is not on that list. So uh yeah, but it's it's you know, I just texted my wife. I said, the plans have changed for the week different.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Brian.
Speaker 5: Thanks Dan.
Speaker 2: That's Brian Costello, Jets Beat reporter for the New York Post. Yeah, you got drama. You don't have high highs, like like, if you're covering some of these teams that get a chance to go to the Super Bowl or an NFC title game or AFC title game. With the Jets, there's always going to be a storyline. The question is is it going to be a positive storyline. I remember being around the Jets when Mark Gastineau was there, and they were a good team. You know, Ken O'Brien, But the Giants were a better team at the time. But they had h Marty Lines and Joe Klecko. They had a really good defensive line. Freeman McNeil, al Toon was really good, Wesley Walker, they were I mean, they they were close to being a really good team, and so there wasn't really drama back then. I think Joe Walton was the head coach. But I think that's the first time I was around Richard Todd. So I was never around when Namath. I wasn't covering them. I wasn't old enough to be covering them back then. It started in the early eighties. But I remember Gastoneau was always a storyline because he was he was dating Brigitte Nielsen. Oh really, yes, yes, and he had I think he had a Rolls Royce and he was a big deal. He wasn't well liked by his teammates. I mean, I thought Joe Kleco was the heart and soul of that team. He was one of my favorite players. But you know, you're out there covering these teams, and you kind of juxtapose that with the Giants, with Bill Parcells. Belichick was there, you got LT you got you know, Phil Simms, Joe Morris. But the Jets were holding their own, you know, they just couldn't they couldn't get over that hump. The Giants, of course won the Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: Yes, Pung, It's such an awkward week to do it because now you have a standalone Monday night football game versus Buffalo for the media just chop it up preview the game.
Speaker 2: Wow, But you don't want him to win his way out of this. If you're planning on firing him, I guess that you're going to have these standalone games. They can lose all three of these and then you can go, Okay, now if he wins two or three, are like, I don't know if we can fire him after will win against Pittsburgh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's almost like that's why you fired him this week is because you have a standalone game coming up, and as ownership, you could be like Sea fans, we're trying.
Speaker 2: Oh, I mean, it's all pr right. It starts from the top, I mean it does. Now does Rogers Tuesdays? Does he talk or is that with McAfee or is that both?
Speaker 4: Usually the quarterback speaks either Tuesday or Wednesday to the gathered media, and he also has his obligation with McAfee.
Speaker 2: I mean, Rodgers has to answer some of these questions. Aaron, why did you have your coach fired? Who did the code red? Aaron? The defense has been great, the offense has been terrible, which is true. Robert Sawah doesn't have anything to do with the offense.
Speaker 6: Oh man, what a mess?
Speaker 2: What a miss? Chris in Pennsylvania? Hi, Chris, what's on your mind?
Speaker 7: Hey you good morning? So Rogers, you know he's getting a lot of blame here, But what happened to the running game? Let's talk about brief Hall and Brayln Allen Man, they just like both disappeared the last two games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I think this is more systemic with that that. You're right. Should they have a better running game? Yeah? They should have a better offense. You know, if you have a better passing game, you can have a better running game and vice versa. They just they haven't. It hadn't synced up yet. There's plenty of blame to go around, there always is with the Jets. Dave and San Antonio. Hi, Dave, what's on your mind?
Speaker 8: Hey, good morning guys. I hate to take us off topics here for a second, but I'm dropping my kid off. I get home a little bit earlier than usual. I put on Dan Patrick on peacock. I'm watching Marvin shoot baskets and I'm looking at Marvin shoot baskets and I'm like, what is going on here?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 8: Marvin like brothers don't shoot like that.
Speaker 2: Dan.
Speaker 8: I know you're a shooter.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 8: You haven't been out there with Marvin. Help him on the court.
Speaker 9: You got to help my brother out.
Speaker 2: I he never asked for help. I always wait if somebody asks for help, then I'll help them. And Marvin hasn't asked for help with shooting. Do you need help?
Speaker 1: Do I?
Speaker 2: I don't think so, okay, so then I'm not going to help you. But if you said to me, I setan I didn't notice something with Seaton where he was shooting, and he would move he would move it off his head to his side, and I said, no, just keep it on the side. Don't move it from the head to the side because it's taking longer to get your shot off. That was all. It's just a nice Hey, I noticed this, but I don't want to give you a tutorial on shooting. You know what, during a break help me. I'll need more time than that the break after that.
Speaker 3: If you want to start a service, you people send in videos and then you break down their form, it's like, well, charge like a monthly fee for it or something, you know what.
Speaker 2: I have to do this Happy Gilmore thing, So I don't have time right now. I found out I'm in two scenes with Happy Gilmore, and I think I'm shooting my scenes here, I think, but I don't know. I just heard from Samler this morning and he said, Danny, you're gonna need a wardrobe change for two scenes. And I said, okay, So I'll find out exactly what that is. But look if I can help. I mean, I took time out to help Ray Allen when he came in a.
Speaker 4: Little late, though he'd already played a couple thousand games.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's ever too late. I'm still trying to perfect my shot, and we'll always try to perfect my shot. I only want to hit the rim. I want the net, and then I don't even want the net to move. Marvin, I don't know if I can help you, if you don't want to be that great like you coulda want it, and if not, I'm not wasting my time anymore. You know what I want it? No, I didn't believe that at all. Oh, it's all.
Speaker 1: Let's move logs.
Speaker 6: I don't know what it's gonna do about helping my eye shot, but we're gonna move logs.
Speaker 2: Yes. Oh, I just saw a video.
Speaker 4: Reggie Miller's fifty nine years old. He posted a video him just jacking from deep.
Speaker 2: No problem, no, no problem, nope. And you know those who haven't have it and they never lose it. It's just it's it's magic in your hand. But it's a small fraternity of us that you know, it just never leaves.
Speaker 4: Show us a handshaked in.
Speaker 2: No can't. You almost tricked me into showing you the secret handshake, because if I see Steph Curry, I just give him the nod and then he knows it's time for the secret handshake. And I hope Klay Thompson gets back in the fraternity, you know, I hope. So did you see where Luca bet one of his teammates. I think it was one hundred thousand dollars this was during this is like a couple of days ago. Then he would make a full court shot. They had like some fan past or something, and Luca made it for one hundred thousand dollars. Did you see that? I don't know, maybe you didn't see the video, but it is.
Speaker 3: It's pretty funny.
Speaker 2: It is wild. Yeah, but I think I don't know what the bet was. So Luca is going to make one hundred thousand, but uh, I think one of his younger teammates cost him one hundred large Derek Lively, Yes, yeah, yeah, And you could see his reaction when Luca makes a full court shot. It's like, damn yeah, Pauline.
Speaker 4: Luca's underneath the opposing basket about three feet out. Yeah, he doesn't even step up. It's like a hook shot you would do in horse in your backyard, but from eighty five.
Speaker 2: Feet probably further than Yeah. Yeah, for one hundred thousand dollars. All right, let me take a break. Bob Costas he will join us coming up next. More of your phone calls as well. We're back after this and the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot Com and within the iHeartRadio app, search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: This is the first time since the Division series were added in nineteen ninety five that all four series are tied at a game apiece after two games. You got baseball coming up later on today you got the Phillies and the Mets, and then you got Dodgers at the Padres coming up at nine Eastern. Bob Costas on the call for the Yankees game with the Kansas City Royals, MLB Network host and Hall of Fame sportscaster. When the playoffs started, Bob, a couple of baseball writers said, all twelve teams could win the World Series the same way when that happened, when that started, Well.
Speaker 6: All twelve teams have a shot to win a given series. And as I said to you before, if when the playoffs start under this format, you could take any team you want from either league and I take the field, I'd like my chances because so many good teams one hundred win teams have been knocked out. Especially treacherous is the division series round with the odd number of off days, so a lesser team can get by, maybe with only two good starters. Detroit may get by with only one good starter, but he's the best pitcher in baseball, best starter in baseball this year. Once you get to the LCS, it's a more legitimate test. But think about last year. The Diamondbacks knock off the Dodgers, a team that finished sixteen games ahead of them in the same division. They get all the way through to the World Series. The team they meet, the Texas Rangers, is in effect a wildcard team. They tied the Astros for first place, but there was a tie breaker, so they had to play in the wildcard round. So both those teams that in the Wildcard round, they both made it to the World Series. Were they the best teams in their respective leagues over the course of the season. No, But the days of an old Pennant race win it, or even the old LCS win the division, have to finish first, go to the LCS. That's the one thing that you get to the World Series. Those days are behind us. There's a lot of pluses to this. I mean, there's been a lot of great games, and I've had a lot of people say, you know, it just almost feels like March Madness in a sense. I'm watching four games at once, and we're going around with the highlights that everybody's got a shot and there are interesting things happening, and that's what baseball wanted. And even if you're not among the twelve teams, there were enough teams close enough into the last week or so to keep their fan bases engaged. That's the trade off, or you're going to always get the purest matchup between the two best teams in the league. No, in fact, I would think less often than not would that would happen. But there are upsides to the setup too.
Speaker 2: I love the best of three. I just it created tension, immediacy in each game mattered. And maybe it's not fair, but I always feel like if you got one hundred and sixty two games to alter your course there and if it comes down to this, and you know, some of these teams had all three home games if they got to that, so I was fine with it. I don't want all the playoffs series like that. Where do you stand on that?
Speaker 6: Well, the difference between baseball and other sports has to be taken into account. Baseball plays one hundred and sixty two twice as many as the NHL and the NBA and roughly ten times as many, did I say, the NHL and NBA, Yes, I did, and roughly ten times I didn't get much sleep last night, Dan, I got going to get on a plane to Kansas City. I'm a little groggy, but ten times as much as the NFL. And so there's a legitimate feeling that you want to honor what happens over the course of that long season. Playoff qualifying seems different in baseball. That doesn't mean that this format is bad, but almost any format, if you want that many teams to be in it is going to be imperfect to one extent or another. But this one does yield some excitement in the early rounds, no question about it.
Speaker 2: And I love that Detroit is in. I watched almost all of that game yesterday. Scooble is I mean dominating. Yeah, And you know, I just it's a young team. Aj Hinch gets a chance to, you know, come back Kansas City. Although they won in what twenty fifteen, there's still I mean, I love that. Then you get the Padres and the Dodgers that it feels like Yankees in Red Sox. Yeah, you know. So there there's a lot of matchups, a lot of fun things. And then you throw in the Phillies in the Mets, and it doesn't matter if it's exhibition, you know, spring training, or you know, or a playoff. So that that I think the match. I think baseball's had a really good year this year.
Speaker 6: I think so too, with historic performances by Otani and Judge. Judge continues to struggle in the postseason, and that's another subplot in all of this, and Bobby Witch Junior emerging as one of the best all round players in recent seasons. There's a lot to like in this baseball season. And to your point earlier, the Padres and the Dodgers feels like a real rivalry. It felt like that before the game on Sunday night. Then you've got people throwing stuff which you can't applaud at profar and then apparently Manny Machado tossed a baseball in the direction of Dave Roberts, and Roberts is a pretty even keel guy, but he said it had some mustard on it, and I found it to be disrespectful. So the atmosphere is for Games three and four in San Diego should be pretty raucous as well, as long as everybody stays in their seats and yells and screams as much as they want, but doesn't do anything more than that. But you know, they play in the same division, just like the Tigers and the Guardians do in the same division. The Mets and the Phillies in the same division. So there's that familiarity with all the games played during the regular season. And now they meet again in October, and because of the prox you're going to have even more visiting fans if they can score a ticket somehow, even more visiting fans in the other team's ballpark. In fact, I said to Ron Darling during Game one, this is the only series where a plane ride is required between New York and Kansas City. I think they should go old school and take a train. And everybody wears suspenders and smokes cigars and reads the Sporting News and it's in black and white, and it looks like a scene out of the natural.
Speaker 2: Would you be willing to take a train today to Kansas City, Bob.
Speaker 6: Absolutely not, even the club car on a cello. I'm not going that far.
Speaker 2: We've tried to put Otani's season in perspective, and you know, I'm looking at a hitter and a hitter in a regular season. The only other you know that moment where he has the three homers, like, is that the greatest game ever for a hitter? And I still brought it even though it's two games. Ted Williams on that final when he could have sat out and he played both ends of the double header and batted four oh six, that's the only thing that I thought might be a comparison to that.
Speaker 6: Your thoughts, well, I think of the Sandberg Game forty years ago on the NBC Game of the Week when Ryan Samberg went five for six and hit two homers, last ditch homers off Bruce Suitor. They used relief pitchers differently then, I think White he Hearszog had Suitor in there for at least three innings, so Samberg homers to tie it on the ninth. He homers a ken in the tenth with two out to tie it again and was immediately dubbed the Sandberg Game. And that's what people around Chicago still referred to it as. And it was on a national broadcast when the Game of the Week was something different than it is now, when you have so many ways to access baseball fred Lynn had a game during his Rookie of the Year MVP year in seventy five for the Red Sox where he hit three home runs and had ten RBIs at Tiger Stadium. But what Otani did here and then, of course, if you think of something happening in the World Series, you think of Reggie Jackson hitting three home runs in a deciding World Series game, it's more meaningful. I think of some of the games that George Brett had. He had a three homer game every homer off Catfish Hunter in the LCS in either seventy seven or seventy eight, and he had another game in eighty five where he had two homers, a double and a single and the double hit the top of the wall against Toronto. Brett is one of the all time great postseason performers. The thing about this, though, is not only did he have five hits and three home runs and he almost had the cycle, he was thrown out a third trying to stretch a double. He had two doubles, so he's thrown out a third, could have had the cycle. And he passed both milestones. He passed the fifty and the fifty in the same game, so I think that this has elements that surrounded. You could look at others and say, I can make a case for this or that, but for now Otani will do.
Speaker 2: Could he be underrated?
Speaker 6: I don't know how he could be underrated. He's been certainly celebrated. People will interpret what I'm about to say wrongly, but it would be a great thing for baseball in the big picture. If Otani, who never played in a playoff game with the Angels, if Otani got to the World Series, and if Judge snapped out of it and hit a few homers on the way to the World Series, and you got Yankees Dodgers. Not just because of the markets, but because these are the two players who's the casual fan is immediately recognizable. You can grasp what they've done, you can grasp that they're both historic players. Now, I know that you will have comments saying, oh, it's a big market bias. Hey, if the Tigers make it, if Kansas City plays the Tigers or the Guardians and the LCS, that's good for baseball in its own way. But if you're just looking for a big boost in World Series ratings, you got the combination of the markets and the two marquee players that would be the best in that respect for baseball.
Speaker 2: Well, when I say underrated, because we didn't know that he was capable of stealing sixty bases and even the pitching part of it. That'll come back next year and he probably won't come close to these numbers. He won't be running the bases this way, but it's almost like I can't do that. I'm gonna show you something else that I can do. Yeah, this year.
Speaker 6: Minus the pitching, kind of liberated him to run the bases, and maybe it accounts for a portion of what he's done at the plate because he doesn't have as much stress on his body and on his attentions. Maybe, But as everyone has said, and it's true, he's a unicorn. Is he the greatest player? You can make a case for many others, But is he the most talented player certainly that I've ever seen. Will He is not to say that he's a greater all round player than Willie Mays. I mean, he's never played the field to any significant extent. He's a dh But we've never seen someone who simultaneously does the two things, or the multiple things if you count the base dealing. That Otani does, because, as we said before, we know that Ruth would have been a Hall of Famer as a pitcher had he never switched to the outfield. But he didn't really do the two simultaneously to any great extent, though Tony has.
Speaker 2: Do you remember when we were at the Mets Astros playoff game and Pete Rose said to us we were at the top of the steps, and he said, who do you like today? Do you remember that?
Speaker 6: I do?
Speaker 2: I do?
Speaker 6: And you know I was telling Aaron Boone or just having a conversation before the game. And you know, Aaron knew Pete from the time he was a little kid because his dad, Bob Boone, was a Phillies teammate of Pete Rose. And you want to talk about six degrees of Kevin Bacon. If you talk to Aaron Boone, you can connect him to just about everybody, including people from before the midpoint of the twentieth century, because his grandfather broke it in nineteen forty eight. So we're talking about Pete Rose, and it occurred to me. I hadn't thought about this in a very long time. It's around nineteen eighty one, and I'm just starting out with NBC and I'm standing in front of the Phillies dugout and Pete Row playing catch, just warming up before the game, and he glances over it and he goes, I see you. You do those Big ten basketball games. And I'm thinking, Wow, Pete Rose knows who I am. But then a few years later it dawned on me what that was really all about.
Speaker 2: He was betting on those Big ten games.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, what's the line on in State Northwestern on a Tuesday night in February?
Speaker 2: Did we put to bet? I don't know what we accomplished with discussing Pete in his legacy and moving forward. I don't know. It just felt like it was the same story with Pete and it never changed.
Speaker 6: You know, I'm repeating myself here. Nobody's nominating Pete Rose for Citizen of the Year. But not only was he a truly great player just on the numbers, he's a Hall of Fame caliber player, but he was so iconic in the way he played the game in a bigger than life personality and part of one of the great teams, the Big Red Machine. And it's not just in the aftermath of his death. I've been saying this for more than thirty years. Baseball should have made a distinction.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 6: I know that technically it's the board of directors of the Hall of Fame, but if any of the commissioners had said, hey, come on, it's okay with us, that would have influenced the board of directors. They could have made a simple distinction. He is rightly banned from any official part in baseball because he broke the cardinal rule, but he's on the Hall of Fame ballot. People who poisoned the record books by taking steroids probably damaged the game more than Pete Row has ever damaged the game. They're on the ballot. Whether they make it in or not, they're on the ballot. And if he winds up getting in posthumously, now it's almost like they're twisting the knife, whether that's their intention or not. And I know that there were unsavory things connected to Pete, but somebody got those forty two and fifty six base hits, and I've always said you could put it at the bottom of the plaque, along with all the achievements. Bann from base in nineteen eighty nine for gambling, and in the immediate aftermath, fay Vincent who succeeded Bartiamadi and was one of Bart's closest friends. If he had lifted that ban in terms of the Hall of Fame, that would have seemed too lenient. But as time went by, you get to the turn of the century, I think everybody would have grasped it eligible because of what he did. Historically eligible for the Hall no longer officially connected to baseball. That's the punishment. And people who say, well, you know, baseball, like every other sport, has now embraced gambling, so it's hypocritical. I get that. Atmospherically, that's a bad look, but it's still the rule for any player. If you bet on a game in which you're not involved in baseball, you can bet on football or basketball. But if you bet on a game that you're not involved in, automatic at least one game suspension, then you can one year suspension, then you can apply for reinstatement. But if you bet on a game in which you are involved, including if you bet on your own team, the rule is still exactly the same as it's been for decades and decades, lifetime banishment.
Speaker 2: But if he was in the Hall of Fame, do you think if they found out that he gambled. Later, would they have taken him out of the Hall of Fame, let's say just baseball wise, his career Hall of Famer. Then he becomes a manager, let's say six years after he's in the Hall of Fame, and then he's betting on baseball. They find that out. Would they have taken him out of the Hall of Fame?
Speaker 6: But at that point he couldn't have managed in baseball By what I just suggested, he's banned from baseball.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, let's say no, they don't catch him.
Speaker 6: Oh I think no.
Speaker 2: So he's in the Hall of Fame for his playing career. He waits six years, the Reds bring him in to be their manager. Then all of a sudden he bets on baseball. Would they have taken him out of the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 6: That's a tricky one. I guess not. But they might have altered the plaque, okay, to indicate you know what the circumstances are for those who haven't been to the Hall of Fame. They think of some people think of that as just the plaque gallery, that's part of it, but it's a much larger museum. And Pete Rose and Joe Jackson and all the supposed steroid guys. They're all represented in terms of their place in baseball history throughout the museum. But it's the plaque gallery where Pete Rose is missing. I mentioned this on the air right after he died someplace or other. I went to the Hall of Fame with Pete for a piece for the Today Show sometime in the nineties, and he had not set foot in the Hall of Fame after since Barchiamatti had banned him. And at one point he walked over to ty Cobb's plaque. And Pete was not a reflective man at all, but in that moment you could tell he was reflecting. And I actually backed the way to give him some space, and you could tell that he's looking at this plaque and saying, Hey, I'm connected historically to this guy, this guy I never met. I'm connected to Ty Cobb. Why am I not here represented in this gallery? Well, the answer is mostly by your own doing. But justice can be tempered with mercy. I don't think if Pete Rose had gotten into the Hall of Fame, let's say, in two thousand and five, twenty ten, and he had the plaque in the fashion that I suggested, No little kid is going to walk through the Hall of Fame with his dad look at the plaque and say, gee, Dad, I guess it's okay. Then if I get to the major leagues and I bet on baseball, I mean, the cautionary tale is there. It was in the first paragraph of his obituary. And we knew that for decades that it would be in the first paragraph of his obituary. He paid a huge price, even if he was even it was by his own doing, he paid a huge price.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I did ask Johnny Bench after Pete died. I said, you saw that segment. Yeah. I said, did you have any idea if he was betting on baseball as a player, And he said, well, I was told by the FBI, you know, to stay away. I think the reason why Pete is never going to be on the ballot it is those commissioners know that Pete Bett is a player. Yeah, and I think that that might be the point of no return.
Speaker 6: You know that may be true. I asked Rob Manford in an interview a few years ago. Is there something that the general public and those of us in the media pay attention to, what would know about is there something that we don't know about that influences this decision, something more damning than what we know, or additionally damning to what we know. And Manford's answer was no.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't believe it. Don't believe it. I had too many conversations with Bud Selig where I just got it. I got a sense that there was something there, and I don't think Pete all of a sudden goes, Hey, I'm just going to start gambling on baseball as a manager and not as a player.
Speaker 6: Yeah, what they're saying is logical. Yeah, you don't know the answer for sure, but it's certainly a logical question.
Speaker 2: To talk to you safe travels to Kansas City.
Speaker 6: Thank you, Dan.
Speaker 2: All right, But that's Bob Costas TNT, the exclusive home of the Alds Alcs. Bob on the call with Ron Darling, and that'll be coming up tomorrow, Game three in Kansas City. You know, sometimes I get going with Bob and I forget that I'm doing a show. You just talk. It's and I'm lucky to have that relationship, but it's just it's a conversation. The fact that he remembers that's nineteen eighty six, We're at the top of the dugout steps at Shay Stadium and Pete is there, and he walks up to us and says, who do you like today? That's a gambling language right there. That's what gamblers say, who do you like today? All right, let me take a break. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, So the Jets have fired Robert Salah. The Jets owner Woody Johnson sent out a statement blah blah blah, blah, blah blah blah. I don't know how it's not a hallmark greeting card. I thanked him for his hard work these past three and a half years and wished him and his family well moving forward. This was not an easy decision. Wouldn't it be interesting if you said this was an easy decision? But he says, we are not where we should be given our expectations, and I believe now is the best time for us to move on. Okay, statement from Woody Johnson.
Speaker 4: I think I'd prefer one time to see an owner give an actual, real statement. Instead of parting of ways, we agreed to separate. It's we fired our head coach because we're losing all the time. We wish him the best going forward. It is probably not gonna work out for that team either.
Speaker 2: Uh, Eddie and del Mar's back? Hi, Eddie, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 10: Good morning, Danny. I really have a problem with Dave Roberts right now. He says he's seen video of Manny Machado throwing a ball at him with intense and I haven't seen the video. I haven't seen it on ESPN. You know, ESPN would probably be showing quite a bit of that. I think that's lying to support a narrative or lie to influence the narrative. And Gus in Los Angeles, I love you. You're a great caller. You said Profar throw a ball into the stand. Now, I haven't seen video of bat either. However, I have seen a video of Profar taking a ball out of the stand, and I have seen I have seen video Profar handing a ball to a fan in the stands and then that fan throwing the ball onto the field, which started the riot. And I have friends who say, you know, the Padres are a better story, and I said, no, no, no, no, the Dodgers are a better story. They have the most exciting player in all of baseball. I'm not jaded just because I'm a Padre fan. The whole nation Fox, TBS, they want the Dodgers to move on. So let's see how the umpire behind Hope plate college balls and strikes tonight. I'm very interested to see how that goes well.
Speaker 2: It is a home game for the Padres. So thank you for the phone call, Eddie. Have fun tonight, Luke and Charlotte. Hi, Luke, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 9: Hey guys, I just wanted to give a little delayed best and worst. First, I wanted to give some crops to Fritzy. I can see what he's doing with the impression that the word structure is there. The voice is not, but at least the words and how he says them are good.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 9: Worst of the weekend was First of the weekend was the Steelers choking happened last time Cowboys were in Pittsburgh, too. There's tons of best. I mean, it was the best college football weekend that I can remember for a while. And the Browns downfall is always something good to see. Speaking of college football, I was wondering what your guys's planned were for the Oregon Ohio State two and three at Austin this weekend.
Speaker 2: I'm just excited to see it. I'm not making any predictions on it right now, but yeah, definitely the game of the weekend. Eddie and del Mar said that he hadn't seen the video of Manny Machado throwing the baseball towards the Dodger Dodgers dugout. It's here, it's there. I know that. Dave Roberts said that it was disrespectful, disrespectful and unsettling. But he does throw he does throw baseball, uh in the into the dugout. Yes, balling.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's throwing the ball towards like a ball boy or something, not like an attack on the dugout, and the ball kind of skips up and one of the Dodgers players kind of leads out Doug like hey, yeah, and Dave Roberts, who is not looking at all at the play on the field, he was looking down at his scorecard, backed his player and said, hey, what's this about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if there was intent there. I'm not I can see the video, but I'm not going to say, oh, he was trying to hit Dave Roberts their head hunting. I know they were upset with Flaherty. Let me see all this day and sports history. Don Larson throws his perfect game as the Yankees beat the Dodgers Game five of the World Series. Uh, Todd, What did I learn on today's program?
Speaker 5: Larry Fitzgerald never had a surgery. Surprisedly has had no post care issues with injuries or pain.
Speaker 2: You're not amazing, amazing what we learned? Brought to you by Express Employment Professionals. Help hire your next pro. Forget about posting jobs, sifting through resumes, interviews with unqualified applicants. Go with the pros expresspros dot com. Thanks for joining us. Our pleasure to serve you. We'll try to do better tomorrow. Until then, have a great day.