Speaker 1: First of all, you don't know me. We all about that high school drama, Girl drama, Girl, all about.
Speaker 2: Them high school queens. We'll take you for a ride. And our comic girl cheering for the right teams, drama.
Speaker 3: Queens, my girl of girl fashion, but your tough girl, you could sit with us.
Speaker 1: Girl Drama, Queens Drama, Queens Drama, Queens Drama, Drama, Queens drama, Queens.
Speaker 4: How Holly for hero Sason eight, Episode fourteen, Air date February eighth, twenty eleven.
Speaker 2: Oh, this was a fun one. Hi, guys, Hey.
Speaker 5: Guys, Hello, Hello, this was a fun one. I feel like we went through a stretch of just a lot of heavy, high stakes drama, and we've been getting this lovely reprieve of wild bachelorette, bachelorette parties, dogs on skateboards, this episode of Superheroes and Spandex. I mean, it's fun ride.
Speaker 4: We're just having fun now.
Speaker 3: It really does feel like coasting into the second half of season eight.
Speaker 2: Everyone in the writer's room was like, let's just have a nice time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, sure.
Speaker 5: Do you remember how tired we would be when we would come back from Christmas because we had already been shooting for so many months, and it's like that second half of a twenty two episode season is just tough. It's I'm sure it was very welcome when we saw scripts that were light and fun. Yeah, because to come back to heaviness, it's just it's challenging, it's hard.
Speaker 4: It was just too much. There was so much of us lamenting. We really needed this.
Speaker 5: Yes, lamenting so many times you can nearly die in a season, right, That's it.
Speaker 3: I was going to say lamenting, suffering, almost dying. It's like at some point people needed a breather. And even the fact that Peter Kowalski, our wonderful DP directed this episode. Pete Pete is the jolliest man a so to have someone who's just jolly and sweet do some really kind of silly, lighthearted material with us, you can see how much fun everyone's having in the episode.
Speaker 2: I totally agree.
Speaker 4: All right, here's the synopsis. Brooke, Quinn, and Hayley decide to use their talents for greater good to help a young girl being bullied. Meanwhile, Julian takes on a directing job and helps out a friend aka mouth Chase. Mentors Chuck and Nathan and his fellow classmates stand up to a bully of their own written by Heroin Strauss. Yeah they did not, They didn't. I mean, it wasn't nothing. It was it was like, you know, it was something they.
Speaker 5: Know they did. Absolutely, am I incorrect? They did nothing. It was it was Clay who weirdly shows up in the back of the classroom.
Speaker 2: Oh oh yes, yes, no, you're friends.
Speaker 5: They just sort of like talk at a poker table while studying.
Speaker 4: That's right, you did something. But Nathan, and we got Quentin who played Michael in The blind Side, Quentin who was a lovely person. He came and played Nathan's classmate in this episode. But yet, No, they really didn't do anything but complain.
Speaker 5: Tommy was his character's name. Yeah, but yeah they didn't. And also, I mean, we're going to get to it, but I have thoughts about that scene of showing up an adult and now having also been in college. I just I that was a very TV moment as opposed to how it probably would happen in real life.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So one of my favorite things about this episode was the showcase once again of Brooks unbelievable ability to sew at rapid speeds so fast, goll Lee, you're talented.
Speaker 3: Thanks, you know, it's it's really it is her superhero skill.
Speaker 2: Really. Yeah, three outfits in three minutes, let's go.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's so funny because everyone's talking about their superpowers in the episode and no one at any point goes, by the way, you sewed three complete, different sized costumes in twelve minutes, by the way.
Speaker 3: With buckles and zippers and corsets and pleather and gloves and tight.
Speaker 2: Masks, laser cut masks. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Also, you got it all right on the first try.
Speaker 2: Perfectly. Yeah, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 5: I would say your Brooks vision, in her instincts and her hand eye coordination to sew that fast would definitely be the superpowers of the episode.
Speaker 4: A true skill that actually would be really funny in a superhero movie, just superheroes that have totally useless skills. I mean it's not totally useless, but in the realm of life saving, you know, as superheroes do someone who just can sew at an unbelievable rate, it would be really funny.
Speaker 5: I don't know if this is still a thing, but do you remember when you used to go to like fairs and carnivals and there was that person where you'd pay like five bucks and if they would guess your weight within five pounds, and if they were wrong, you got like a giant prize. Like they were like scary, right.
Speaker 4: This sounds like vaudeville. How old are you?
Speaker 2: Fifty nine?
Speaker 5: But it's it's like I don't see it anymore. But it was. It was this thing whereas like people who unless there was some sort of secret trick I'm unaware of, like they could just eyeball a person and be like one point thirty two two fourteen, and whenever I watched it, they were always really accurate. But I'm wondering if because of the times we live in now, we kind of pulled that one back.
Speaker 4: Maybe maybe we did. Are you are you feeling like this is that Brooks superpower that she just knows she can just guess everything that measurement.
Speaker 5: She just looked at her friends and was like, I know your exact sizes for spandex, your head, your glove. I mean, that's crazy. It was a head to toe costume.
Speaker 2: Boots, all of it.
Speaker 5: You had a pregnant belly. She's never made something for you pregnant before?
Speaker 3: What I've never designed anything for a pregnant person and here we are, Oh wait, that's not true.
Speaker 2: I made Peyton's wedding dress. Sorry. Still though, still, that wasn't spandex.
Speaker 5: I would also say another superpower of Brooks is a sleep fighting, which is always funny to me to see on TV. But you really sold it very very well. That was a great way to open was with sleep fighting.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I really appreciate that.
Speaker 4: That was so fun, the like cartoon opening, all of the different drawings so original.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was fun to see her boredom be sort of highlighted in a way that worked for the story and was also just adorable.
Speaker 2: I loved the comic book strips.
Speaker 3: I love that even Alex gets made into one, you know, in front of the red bedroom sign.
Speaker 2: Like it was. The whole thing was really just enjoyable.
Speaker 3: And I remember going into the office, like the art department office when we were getting this episode ready and seeing how they were doing all that stuff and just feeling really jazzed about what this was going to be like to play with. And I, you know, I love the scene where you come in and you basically catch me playing with like g I Joe figure.
Speaker 2: It's just so fun.
Speaker 4: It was a It was a really perfect setup for being out of work, not knowing what to do. She's home, She's so not a typical, you know, housewife, that old fashioned version of a housewife. You know, she just is like antsy and needing to do something with her hands and her time. And I really I thought it was really well done. The way Harrow and Strauss wrote this episode and the way that they would tied in all the little pieces, Chantelle's excitement, Quinn's excitement to just get to get out and do something.
Speaker 3: For it, for a secret or a scan or so adrenaline activity.
Speaker 4: Clay's just like, what do we have to can we we just got shot?
Speaker 5: Can we relax up?
Speaker 4: Just like no, I'm on, let's do it. Find me somebody else to fight. But all the little pieces tied together, Yeah, and it was It was fun using the crisis hotline as the as the way in it.
Speaker 2: All just all just worked.
Speaker 4: Everything came together well.
Speaker 3: And I like that we get to see you getting kind of pulled into Brooke and Quinn's desire for an activity on your own at the crisis center. When you start humming the Batman theme song and going Haley to yourself. It's like, oh, we got her. And it's fun as an audience member to see Brooke and Quinn get Haley before Brook and Quinn know they've gotten Haley.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, we had a ball. This was so fun to just do comedy, a whole episode of comedy. You know, before I got One Tree Hill. When I moved to LA from New York in my early twenties, I was the sitcom girl.
Speaker 2: Like I was.
Speaker 4: I would never got dramas. I was always doing sitcoms, all the pilots that I had done since I was fourteen. I was like the go to sitcom girl. And I got One Tree Hill and then I had to cry on command, which I kind of learned when I was on a soap opera for a couple of years. But but yeah, it was like, I just I've been crying on this show for so long.
Speaker 2: We all were.
Speaker 5: I was off camera so happy.
Speaker 4: Yes, Oh god, I was so happy to have some comedy in my life.
Speaker 2: God, it felt great to do this episode.
Speaker 5: Did kick Ass Like we we actually name check kick Ass a lot several times. So was it like a cross promotion or was it just the right time? I mean, because it was the popular movie, and we just asked if we could use their name. But you know what I mean, it was like weirdly specific, and we talked about it like at least three times.
Speaker 4: I think it had just come out and everybody was talking about and excited about it, right, and we had an that Halloween episode, and so it just made I don't know, so do you know behind the scenes on that.
Speaker 3: I don't remember. Honestly, I don't know where the obsession came from. But it felt really right, you know, certainly for me in this wanting to take the power back being able to do it, you know, with that movie, I remember tracked, but I don't know why it was such a focal point.
Speaker 4: I think superheroes were just having a moment, Like it was when everything right, like all the Marvel movies were starting to become a thing. Everybody was making a superhero show or a movie, and this was Yeah, it did that a lot, Like Yeah, so we started calming a lot on our show on pop culture things that were happening.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't be surprised.
Speaker 5: It makes a good deal of sense because it kick ass as about two regular people who are just tired of it, and they so they're not they don't have any superpowers or even like super weapons or anything. So its sense. It was just odd because typically in our show, like in our universe, we're not actually like call like, we're not actually experiencing Well, you know that's not true though, because Julian's poster was a real movie. So yeah, I guess this isn't the first time. Yeah, we've done this because you know, typically on TV show that they're not actually talking about real life things, like everything is just sort of another piece of fiction from that universe.
Speaker 2: Skills had his whole notebook thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the notebook. But also like when gossip Girl was getting popular or they would do things that were we would sort of do you know, joke jokey things like Vampire Diaries. I feel like we were always commenting on things that not overtly, but there were all these sort of undercut commentaries on things that were going on. Right, Am I crazy? I feel like that happened a lot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it probably did. And just to completely hijack this, I have to go back and point out thanks to one of uh, our good buddy Easton reminded me that they these barkers, they weren't barkers, these vaudeville acts that would guess your weight. They would also guess your age too. Yeah, what a dangerous game. Could you imagine that your job is to guess people's age and weight? Oh my gosh, I would I would lose all of the prizes on the first day because I would be wildly underguessing both for everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they'd be like you somehow lost US ten thousand dollars worth of stuffed animals.
Speaker 3: You're like, yeah, because I was trying not to get punched in the face.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was raised, right, guy, Come on, Okay, back to the show. Yeah, but the kick guessing it worked, and it was just it was so fun. I also really liked seeing Clay and Quinn just have a light scene. Yeah, he's kind of giving her grief about the one picture he took of Millie diving for the bouquet, which was so fantastic, and it was like it was very easy, you just point and click, you know, but it was it's been so long because even though they've we've had a couple episodes since all of the Katie stuff, Like the last episode, if you remember, it was her telling him like I actually was stalking her, Like even then, it still wasn't liice. This is the first time we got to see the two of them like just being silly, just having fun. And I've missed that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, especially because their love story was born out of their friendship, their humor with each other, that kind of ease.
Speaker 2: It's nice to see them back in some ease. Yeah.
Speaker 5: And Clay's line about I have a strict rule in my life where I don't do anything that people wouldn't be feel sorry for me if I died doing.
Speaker 2: Yes, I wrote that down.
Speaker 5: So good.
Speaker 2: Poor guy, he just wanted to jump off.
Speaker 4: A bridge with a rope tight around his ankles. Come on, Yeah, so sad, that's great. Yeah. There were some really good lines, and there were great lines. I mean, Chuck Chuck had so many great throwaway lines, like you want to come over for dinner it's meat night.
Speaker 5: Chuck had two moments that were they were such good lines because they were really funny and then equally tragic. Yes, one of them was that you want to come over it's meat night, which I thought was so funny and again very sad. And then later in the episode, the chase is like saying something like us your dad around and he says no, he goes, I was supposed to my dad last summer, but he bailed and chases like, what what happened? And he said his favorite kid rock cover band was playing Can't pass stuff like that up? And I was like, it's such a funny choice to make it a cover band of kid rock of kid rock and also like again but simultaneously wildly tragic.
Speaker 4: This is what makes these guys such great, such a great team as writers. They were really capable of doing that, And Chuck is a perfect character for it too, because that's man. I mean, that's the heart of so much comedy everything on top of it. You know, it's hilarious on the top, but when you go to the notes a little bit below it, you're like, ooh, what's going on that it caused that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're great, so smart.
Speaker 5: Another gem they had was when Alex goes to red bedroom and Mea is there and she's like, hey, I want to I want to record, and me is basically just like, nah, you can get lost, and she goes, cool, I'll go talk to Haley. Why talk to the greasy rag when you can talk to the mechanic.
Speaker 2: It's like it's so good, Like, okay.
Speaker 4: But this is why I'm not here for Alex. I'm so over her. Just it's just it's so manipulative. She shows up and she's super bitchy and creates this This is like narcissism one on one, Like she creates all of this drama. Mia is just minding her own business. She comes in, creates all this drama. MIA's upset with her, like because she's been insulting her, and then when she comes back, she's like, I really just wish we could be professionals. Well, I think you're an amazing artist.
Speaker 5: Like off, I'm sorry, no, no, I'm going to push back on this one because I feel like when she shows up she is sincere. Also, we finally got some acknowledgment of her kissing Chase during the Truth.
Speaker 3: Which, by the way, I was like, wait, how does Mia know about that? But whatever, at least it was acknowledged.
Speaker 5: Yes, I mean her and Chase had sex the wedding, so maybe they've been talking. I don't know. They had that weird exchange at the bar, so I don't know what's going on.
Speaker 2: Wait, are you talking about chasing Mia?
Speaker 5: Chasing. Mia had sex at the wedding.
Speaker 2: Right and Alex kissed Chase.
Speaker 3: During Alex and MIA's truce at the fundraiser night.
Speaker 4: At the ball, I forgot about that. Yeah, okay, I missed that moment in the scene.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 5: So I felt like she showed up, and I mean, I mean, listen, she brought the edge quick. But I felt like she started off not trying to be a jerk. But then I do hear what you're saying. I think she got the littlest bit of pushback from Mia, and then she said something the effect of like, yeah, I know you guys were back together when I saw him kissing that five foot brown mole, Harry Mole.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she just kept attacking her. It's like when when you're minding your own business and someone comes in and starts attacking you and you get upset, and then they're just like, oh look, Europe, you're so upset.
Speaker 2: You're so volatile. You're like, am I you're hysterical? Or am I normal person? And you're a jack?
Speaker 3: Well I also think that, I mean to your point, Joy, It's like, we obviously talk about this stuff a lot. The narcissistic tendency of baiting, baiting and baiting and baiting and picking on and picking on and picking out, and when someone finally retorts being like whoa, you're really intense, or like oof a, what a bully, and you're like, I'm sorry, You've been bullying me for how long?
Speaker 2: And I finally told you to go yourself? And now I'm rude.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, But what I like about this this is the fun part, right, This is when you know the writing is good because you can have a whole room full of people be like I actually identify with Mia, and then you've got people being like, no, I actually identify with Alex.
Speaker 3: Well, I see the dynamic here and that that's when I know something is working because depending on how you see it, saw it, maybe your own personal history whatever, Like, everybody's got a different opinion.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, that's good writing.
Speaker 3: So hats off, hats off to Heroin Strauss because they're making us like actually feel things.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Well, and because Alex wants something, So there's the added layer two of like is this just an act to get what she wants? Now that she always dies?
Speaker 4: And hey, friend, yeah, I'm going to be the bigger person here. Yes, I just want to let you know that I'm the bigger person. I just want you to You're like.
Speaker 2: Is that what's happening.
Speaker 5: I'm also a little surprised that we waited this long to showcase Janna's singing. Yeah, typically when we bring people in who have a musical talent, and maybe just because she got brought in primarily as an actor, I probably maybe they wanted an actress who could sing, you know, But I just I found myself going, she's really good. This song is great. I'm just surprised it took us a season and a half to see this.
Speaker 2: Nobody knew when she came in.
Speaker 4: She was just kind came in as an actor, and as she got her series regular part in the show and continued to you know, build her own career in pr and all that, then she went to a record label. I think I'm correct about this. So, Janna, if you're out there and I'm miss telling your story, I'm sorry, but this is what I remember. That she went to a record label and was working on getting a deal and so, and I don't know how it went down with talking with show writers or creators or whatever and saying like, hey, can I sing but eventually that was done in tandem with her record deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because we were still living together. Oh you were, so you know the story about it, and I do.
Speaker 3: Okay, tell Shanna was going back and forth to Nashville a lot, like she was really starting to pursue this because she does to your point, Rob, I mean, she's got such a great voice, and you know, there was a lot of how do you figure out somebody's schedule and how is she going to go and do this? And how is she going to stay on the show, and so you know, it becomes easier to work out doing two jobs at once, which no movie studio or record label really wants to let you do unless it's mutually beneficial. Yeah, and so I think there was a you know, if my memory serves me correctly, I mean, my god, this is over a decade ago. But I don't remember if it was the label that got in talks with Warner Brothers or with Warner Brothers that gotten talks with her label.
Speaker 2: Obviously we'll have to have her come and talk to us about it again on an episode.
Speaker 3: But they worked it out, and yeah, I mean she was just like flying back and forth all the time.
Speaker 4: It did feel like it kind of came out of nowhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well it's a surprise on the show, That's what I mean. Yeah, for the character, you're like, wait what. And I do think they were smart at least two have. I liked that they had the her saying the thing everyone knew she'd never said on camera to Quinn at the hotel and Quinn being like, yes, you told me one million times during Brooks Bachelorette because everyone blacked out, So it was like, oh okay, like they nodded to their own surprise for the audience, I thought, in a very clever way. Yeah, But I do think when people are like, well that seems random, it's like, well, yeah, they had to get a deal done with the studio and the record label, and they weren't gonna worth talking about it until everything was settled. But yeah, then Jana was, you know, going back and forth out of our little apartment in downtown and going to Nashville and just I mean she threw herself into it like so full steamad and it was so cool to watch it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, super talented. But I do wish they had teased it out a little bit more. I wish there had been just more of a yeah overnight, like, oh, by the way, I've always wanted to be a singer.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean they're gonna let me sing on my next movie. You're like, what next movie? What singing? Yeah, There's so many.
Speaker 4: Ways to have done it and introduced it that this felt a little weak to me. But I'm glad we got.
Speaker 2: It in there.
Speaker 4: Rob, Sorry, you keep wanting to say something, you.
Speaker 5: Know, I'm just it's like, I wish I had that good of a talent that I could just like sandbag and randomly pull out a half later, like I show up and my bag of tricks has been exposed in like thirty minutes. You like, I've already peaked. You've seen all of my things, and it's like casually a year and a half into the job, She's like, oh, by the way, I can sing like a beautiful song like an angel.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I write amazing songs too.
Speaker 5: Oh can you dance too? Like, oh, are you a triple threat? And just have been hiding it?
Speaker 4: She bust out her tap shooth seriously, so funny.
Speaker 2: It was great.
Speaker 5: The song was great. It worked awesome in the episode and.
Speaker 4: Chase, speaking of you know, Alex and Chase. I've loved that we got to watch him in a new role besides just being a bartender and being the guy that's like, oh, I can't decide between two girls, like to actually have a depth of character, to work with this kid and try and discover a new part of his character, his personality.
Speaker 2: Big Brother was a great choice also for.
Speaker 4: Chase, and fun for Steven. Really fun to watch him in that role because I never I don't know that I would have put I would have put skills there, I would have put mouth there.
Speaker 2: But Chase, who's always just.
Speaker 4: Been interacting with the adults, he does have so much to offer and to see like his kind heart and see so much more of him than just the guy that's being torn between two women's was really nice.
Speaker 5: Break I agree. Also, I mean, I'm I'm gonna say that, and this is a big statement given our show. In these characters' histories, but Chuck may have one of the most tragic backstories and lives of all the characters. I mean, his dad is obviously like a no show deadbeat, and when he does show, he's apt because advice clearly is awful, So he's just wasted space and his mom, we come to find out, is the woman who is day drinking in an empty trick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like this kidnas heady.
Speaker 5: I think, goodness, he gets Chase, who's actually earnest and excited to be there and trying to, you know, be a good role model for him. Yeah. And because I remember this storyline and where it's headed, it's it's great, but it kind of tells me. I've always thought like that Chuck's a dick, and now I'm like, yeah, but you know, you know, yeah, he gets he gets an excuse.
Speaker 4: That's the brilliance of Hero and Strauss again, that they saw they knew the storyline for Chuck. They've seen all the stuff that we've done, and he's always been a caricature of himself, his family. You know, we joke about why his mom's an alcoholic, you know, and it's like always a punchline. And instead of instead of actually treating it with the tenderness that it deserves, which even in the comedy, as you're saying, it's so tragic underneath it all. That's the brilliance of it is that you can treat something with tenderness by being honest about how humans behave or round tragedy, which often is making light of it, but trusting the audience to be smart enough to feel all those layers and really giving Chuck and his mom too these little moments where instead of them being caricatures, we actually really care about them and see their humanity. It added so much to our show, even that.
Speaker 5: Little moment of they kind of the in the very short amount of time that she was on camera. It was very efficient in that they humanized her a bit, because you're right, Joy, all she has ever been is a punchline. I don't even know if we've ever seen this actress before. I don't.
Speaker 4: We haven't, right, Yeah, I feel like we have, but maybe she just looks familiar.
Speaker 2: Because okay, at least oh yeah, in school? I like, did we slap her?
Speaker 4: Did I slap her? Did she like what happened? Something happened with her at school?
Speaker 2: Yeah? You guys had a little kerfuffull of some fight.
Speaker 5: Yeah. But I just liked that rather than because they could have just had her drunk at the bar and didn't even say anything. But I like that she rather than throwing herself at Chase, even though she's kind of doing it, she says, if I weren't off men right now, So it's kind of like, oh, so she's aware her husband is a dud. She's struggling, you know, like it was just it was just enough to go like, okay, there's a human being there, as opposed to just like a punchline and a cautionary tale.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I also think it would have been it would have really been a hat on a hat after Mia and Alex fighting over him, to have like another random woman just throwing herself at It's like, guys, this is not how.
Speaker 2: People interact in the real world. So yeah, it's to your point.
Speaker 3: It's nice because it it gives us a backstory for her to know that she's been in a struggle with this, you know, with Chuck's dad, her ex. However she identifies him in her life. It sounds like they're split, if you know, the guy hasn't seen his kid in a year. But yeah, it just gives a little bit of extra depth, and then it gives us information as an audience when we're hearing all these terrible things that Chuck's dad says to him, these sort of terrible life lessons that he's giving this young boy you know, and you go, oh, I'm beginning to get the picture here of why that kid acts the way he acts, of why he might be competitive with his best friend, of why he might be acting out.
Speaker 2: In a way. And it is really nice to see, just like a grown up who cares, try to be a mentor.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, there are very few instances in which being raised by a pack of wolves would have been preferable to your actual parents. And I think Chuck may qualify.
Speaker 4: You may qualify because what is that.
Speaker 5: My dad says guys can bail on each other all the time. It's like, your dad's terrible.
Speaker 2: He's the worst. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And when Chuck, oh, I forgot about this moment, you know, you do this punch thing where he punches Chase and he's like, you just got chucked. You know. It's like funny at first, but when he invites Chase to dinner and Chase starts saying, oh, I can't really do that or like it wouldn't be appropriate or whatever, Chuck immediately regresses and punches him as like, oh, it's the joke again, ha ha, you know, just trying to cover up the immense pain of feeling rejected by somebody he's just starting to trust again. There were so many layers in this storyline and it was so quick in the episode, but the more we talk about it, the more impressed I am.
Speaker 5: Also, it was great because I love Stephen and I think he hasn't been given a lot to do on the show. Yeah, he's just sort of been the like guy between two gals. So this was really nice to get to give him the opportunity to play a different speed. And I loved because we see how earnest he is, like the fact that he shows up wearing a pilot's hat and that he got a second pilot hat for Chuck. It's like, and he's waiting out in front of the car, I thought like, Oh, he's actually putting effort in, like he cares right. And then that Chuck walks out and goes nice hat do they make him for guys and slaps it out of his hand. Was so funny, and it made me feel so bad for Chase that he's like he's putting himself out there and this nine year old just absolutely bodies him.
Speaker 2: It's so funny. I love I love too, the way every storyline really has to do.
Speaker 4: With different ways to deal with your bullies. I mean, Chuck's always been a bully, except when he kind of became friends with Jamie, but through being a bully, he was a bully first. And then the way that I guess Alex and Mia feel like they're kind of bullying each other all the time. I mean, whatever that storyline is. But but yeah, everything kind of all ties together.
Speaker 5: What did you guys think about the Clay showing up in the classroom scene.
Speaker 4: I thought, in real life the teacher would probably not have let him talk so much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's a big hero moment, and you go, this is cute.
Speaker 2: But what Yeah, what did you think of it?
Speaker 4: Wrong?
Speaker 5: To me? I laughed, you know, because it joins exactly right. It's like, if someone's in your class who's not a student, you don't entertain that, especially when they're trying to prove you inadequate or wrong. So the fact that he humors me and like lets me and then asks me a question back, I was just like, and it's just odd because he's not it's not really like owning the guy. He's not really rubbing his nose anything. He's just like not the real world.
Speaker 4: It just I wish Clay had brought the actual basketball player that he was talking about, or was a football I guess.
Speaker 5: Football, Yeah, Troy, the guy he just signed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wish he had actually brought the guy. Yes, that would have been something that stopped the class well, and.
Speaker 2: That probably would have made Kellerman pause.
Speaker 3: But the thing that I sort of couldn't get over was that he was essentially showing you deference and respect in his own classroom, where he's made it clear that he doesn't respect anyone. Yeah, anyone's experiences, anyone's opinions, anyone's BMI. Like he's literally fat shaming a male athlete. Like the whole thing is so he he doesn't care about other people's feelings or experiences, and then he just is wrapped with attention while Clay's on me and I'm like, I don't get it well.
Speaker 5: And it was also odd because there was a perfect opportunity for Clay to go, Yeah, a top ten NFL draft just got some by one of your students because of this gay like he had an opportunity to really big up Nathan, and instead he kept it all about the agency and therefore himself because he never establishes a connection and it was just like, this isn't your fight, and why wouldn't you take that opportunity to be like one of your students did exactly that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the only I totally thought that too.
Speaker 4: But also I think I giving Clay the benefit of the doubt that he wouldn't have wanted to cause more trouble for Nathan because at this point there was you're just a total stranger. But if he was tied to Nathan, then it would have.
Speaker 5: Yes, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, maybe put a bigger target on his back.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, And I think also Nathan doesn't have his degree yet, so he shouldn't be practicing as an agent. So right, it's well, this skeleton guy is a jerk, you don't want to give him that information to a good point.
Speaker 4: But even more the reason why than the actual football walking in and being like, hey, one of you know, somebody one of your students or maybe not.
Speaker 5: Just like.
Speaker 2: I'll never mind, I take it back. I just I think it would have made more.
Speaker 5: You're right, Joy, How cool would that moment have been if it had been Clay talking and going hold on a second, hey, Troy, how much did we how much was a signing bonus? And then Troy's and outside the class going I was sixty eight million.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, and hugs and a hug and a.
Speaker 5: Hug exactly and a hug. It's not too late to reshoot that scene, right, let's do it.
Speaker 3: Totally absolutely well, we'll figure out how to pay for it.
Speaker 5: I loved also because there were parts of the episode where, like just going back to the bowling, I loved that there was the moment of like there was a great blend of blurring reality and then also sticking to it, like, yeah, there's this great moment when Quinn walks into the room when Haley and Brook are talking and I think maybe she turns to leave, and suddenly Brooke is behind her. Yes, yeah, I can't let you do that, and true Batman style, and of course Quinn is like what the hell Like, So that was one of those ones where it's like we sort of bent the rules and I loved it.
Speaker 4: And when the girls enters with the bushes, is that what you're gonna say?
Speaker 5: Yes, because with the flipping, I was like, oh what, And then of course we see you all awkwardly stepping over the hedge.
Speaker 7: I'm like, perfect, yeah, yeah, it's actually just it's how cool we think we look and then you see that we're just We're just a couple of awkward gals.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And there's another great line. I think maybe it was a Hailey. It was either Haley or Brook when uh, it's in a discussion about standing up to these bullies and someone's like apprehensive and the line is relax, their kids not crips.
Speaker 2: Brook says it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, well done.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: There were a few things I have in the episode that gave me a giggle, like being when I say to Haley, no one's gonna hit a pregnant lady.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she goes, you want me to use my onborn baby as a human shield. It's like just the humor that they gave to us in this I really had a nice time with.
Speaker 4: It was just so much comic timing. I love that they just wrote the jokes and trusted us to handle them because it was so fun, the three of us being able to play off of each other and it wasn't set upset up, laugh it was pure, just like they just wrote it real and we we were able to you know, insert the just in our relationships, insert that comedy. But I loved this scene with the three of us.
Speaker 2: Being so ridiculous in front of these girls.
Speaker 4: Can you imagine, especially now as a mom, that I go into high I mean, I go into the middle school, in the high school, and I see these kids all the time. If I showed up with two of my friends.
Speaker 3: In span spanding masks trying to protect I mean, thank god Haley.
Speaker 4: Did have a trick up her sleep, because I think it worked. But I mean, and she's like missus Scott, so mortified, so embarrassing.
Speaker 5: Quinn getting overly excited was such a wonderful Quinn moment. Yes, and you, guys happened even in the height of all of the three of you being amped. You had to be like, hey, hey, hey, I'm.
Speaker 4: Shut her bug. This is after she's taking the photos with the camera backwards. Didn't either of you notice that I didn't, Yes, completely backwards. She just taking photos of herself over and over again. But it looks like the girls.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: The whole thing is so absurd.
Speaker 5: It's absurd and it's great and it was fun also funny and absurd. Let's talk about Julian's commercial. Yes, the TC the THCHG. Has that ever been done? On the show.
Speaker 4: But for that reference, oh no.
Speaker 5: Wow, well that was that was great because it was just a thing.
Speaker 4: It was just becoming a thing. I mean, marijuana wasn't legal almost anywhere except maybe Colorado or Oregon or something, but like THHC was not. I don't think it was legal at that point. I don't know that dates the show.
Speaker 5: That like a pot reference was a was a big deal. So here's what I thought was so funny about it was. Okay, it's at the end of it, right, if you go back and watch closely, Lee finish her mouth finishes his take. Julian calls cut and for some reason, he's in mouth is sitting on a little mini sofa. For some reason, there was an ad on his hands and knees behind the couch. Watch when he calls cut, that little guy who has a line or two sorry, the smaller guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he just.
Speaker 5: Stands up from behind, like that's something you would only ever do if like a to have off camera dialogue red ye.
Speaker 3: Where someone has like the fishing wire that's pulling the door open because it looks like the house is haunted.
Speaker 5: The camera is five feet away from Lee, like there's no reason on earth that they wanted to have this poor guy on his hands and knees behind the couch. Yet as soon as cut is called, he pops up, which I was like, this is incredible. Why is it happening? And then the fact that like fifty crew members appear for this local commercial. The clap out League gets is the kind of clap out as an actor you get when you are wrapping a show after like nine seasons. Yes, it's incredible. The budget for this local commercial was that of like a super Bowl commercial.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was pretty amazing, But why.
Speaker 5: Was Here's the thing too, There's no way that was scripted. You don't ever get that specific in the action text, which makes me wonder, was Pete just being funny?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 5: Why was that? Why was that young man behind the couch?
Speaker 4: I can see it happening, you know, depending on what time of day they had they shot it. I mean, everybody was just having a good time on this episode, it seems like, and Pete being the jolliest guy ever. I'm sure it was just like, yeah, okay, we just need to fill it in a little bit more. You, I don't know, crouch down behind the couch. You go stand over there and hold the boom, like, let's just fill it in and get it done.
Speaker 5: You go like you're hide and go seeking behind the couch, the only actor in the shot. Okay, there was one other moment that made me laugh out loud for absolutely the silliest of reasons. It's the very end of the episode. You've all come home, and it's now Quinnstern to come home, and she's being cute and flirty with Clay and she pushes him down on the bag bed and she's like, shut her, Bug's gonna get you. And then she holds her hand up in the air. She snaps and the lights go off, which means they have to have some type of clap or such a lash. Yeah, And if they had a clapper situation, then that would have meant every time Katie shot the gun, the light would have gone off and on. And I just thought it would have been so funny if when she shot Quinn, the light went off, went walk back over, turn it back on, go back to her spot, shoot walk back over, turn it back.
Speaker 4: Or flip it up and like try and clap while she's.
Speaker 5: Holding the gun and or just shoot the ceiling like boom, she shoots Quinn. Then she shoots the ceiling. That would have been such a tremendous moment to see. To see Katie caught off guard by the clapper.
Speaker 2: Absolutely absurd. The clapper saves lives.
Speaker 5: It's such a dumb thing to point out, but it really really cracked me up. It's great, okay, you know who absolutely walk off home run Antoine. She has this amazing moment. First of all, so good to have Lisa back, and so good to have Mouth and Milly back because they're adorable together. I love the moment, by the way, when is sort of confiding in Julian about how He's like, I don't know, and Julian shows him the picture of Millie diving for the bouquet, and he's like, does this look like a woman who wants to take things slow? But it's at the scene at the table in Skills and Mouth's apartment when he asks, when Mouth asks Millie to move in, and all of a sudden, they cut from this close tight two shot sort of back to like a kind of like a bigger, wider shot, almost like a master and you see Skills get up from behind the couch, doesn't say a word, just reaches between them, grabs a fry and then Pat's mouth on the shoulder and walks out. But like, do yourself a favor and go back and watch the that moment, because the expression on Antoine's face is perfect.
Speaker 2: Is it just totally like stoic, just like he's like, I'm not here.
Speaker 5: No, no, it's like he's it's sort of like he's proud of mouth. And it's also about for in time. Okay, it's like this knowing, like at a boy. So the fact that they gave him no words is perfect because his face says it all. And the choice to steal a French fry is great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I watch it on my phone, so I think I was just he was probably a little too small for me to notice his facial expression there, So I'll have to go back and watch that.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 4: He always made such interesting choices, Antoine, so fun and.
Speaker 5: Last but not least, so if you broke the fourth wall at the end. Have we ever done that intentionally?
Speaker 3: I don't think we had, but it was it was exactly. It was something Peter really wanted and so we talked a lot about the way that it worked in Ferris Bueller, and we just went for it.
Speaker 2: Did they do it.
Speaker 4: In kick Ass as well? Was that kind of the I.
Speaker 3: Don't remember, not to be honest, but I do know that we shot that both ways just in case the studio didn't like it, So making it in the episode was cool for all of us.
Speaker 2: We were like, all right, the vision worked.
Speaker 4: Did you get to keep any of the art of you as the Dazzle?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they gave me.
Speaker 3: When we wrapped that season, they gave me like a framed storyboard of a couple of those shots that were really sweet.
Speaker 4: I'm super into you being a superhero, Like, where do we start this campaign? I need as my next Marvel superhero tomorrow.
Speaker 2: You'd be great. I'm so into it. All I want to do is stunts and run around.
Speaker 5: And I'm sure Hollywood's listening.
Speaker 2: Great Hollywood, if you're listening, Hello, super serious hair.
Speaker 4: You know, this is the mistake that they make in a lot of these I mean, Marvel's getting it, but there's just such a lack of comedy, in my opinion, in some of these superhero movies that I this is what I is what you love about Indiana Jones or what down he did in Iron Man. You know, it's just so brilliant because that's the real life that you need to relate if you're going to watch something that is super reality.
Speaker 2: To be able to.
Speaker 4: Watch something that has has its roots down dropped into real human feelings like this is terrifying making jokes you know what we would do if we were in the middle of a really scary situation. Especially the female superheroes, there's always this sense of like the Laura Croft of it all, like I'm so sexy, look at me, instead of like, where is the superhero woman who can fall like be sexy but also fall on her face and be like that definitely was not my plan.
Speaker 2: I want to see about the humor, I know.
Speaker 5: I think that's part of the reason Guardians of the Galaxy was so successful. Yes, because like Iron Man worked, but that was that was a lot of just Downy doing that's him, Yes, that's just him bringing his own thing. Whereas Guardians was intentionally funny. There was dialogue that was very funny, and then they brought in people who could do funny, and I think that's why it worked so well because it was sort of a new tone we hadn't seen yet. Yeah, in Big tent Pole superhero movies.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm dying to watch a woman be a superhero like that. I really have not seen it, but I would love to.
Speaker 5: Do.
Speaker 4: We want to do an honorable mention. I think so a good mind to Michael Mays. I thought Michael was great. Sorry to interrupt, Yeah, I just I thought he nailed it, every piece of it. He actually seemed to understand a level of the depth that they had written for him. He wasn't just saying lines. He really like there was some stuff underneath his performance that I appreciated for a kid that age totally.
Speaker 3: I was going to say, you know, our department and wardrobe, because they really without their comic strip in those costumes, this might not have been so funny. It might have just been really embarrassing. And I thought they really helped us. They helped us get over what we were all a little anxious about when we read this script and we were like, who ate an edible and wrote this?
Speaker 2: Like what is going on? And they helped us pull it off. So really, you know, hats off to those teams.
Speaker 5: I'll give my honorable mention to the gentleman who ate an edible and wrote this script. They did a fantastic job. Yes, all right, listener question, Oh okay, nickname clow motion. If someone asked you to describe your character by recommending one episode for them to watch, what episode would you recommend?
Speaker 4: Ooh, it might be this one. To be honest, I mean you see all sides of Hayley. Yeah, I mean sorry if it's crazy, but like, you get to see all sides of hers. She's a goof she's a teacher. She handles, she takes control, handle situation. She's always kind of bouncing around, handling and solving things for people all the time. She's a trusted friend. She's a mom, she's a wife. She's a goofball. She's also like serious and really cares about people. What you see in the crisis Center, I think you get to see it like the whole range. So sure, eight fourteen.
Speaker 5: Except they're going to watch the second episode and be like, where's all the spandex? But no, that's good.
Speaker 4: Just for Haley. I would say this one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, how about Brooke.
Speaker 2: God, I really don't know.
Speaker 3: We're so far in you know, part of me thinks, to your point about this episode for Haley, I'm like, wait, would the Bachelorette episode be so funny for Brooke, and then part of me goes to, you know, the one at the end of season six where she finally admits to Julian that she loves him, you know, on the movie set because she really had to process.
Speaker 2: Some things, and oh, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Then there's some high school stuff. It's like in what stage and place?
Speaker 2: You know? That feels tough, But I guess, you.
Speaker 3: Know, to the point of the person asking, yeah, if you really wanted to get to know one of us in one episode, I guess when we're more adult, it makes sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what about the one where Victoria you find out Victoria is the one that sabotaged the company and she comes in and.
Speaker 2: What were you guys fight it was? She had that great line, Yeah it's prison mother or something like that when we fought in the store. I feel, unless.
Speaker 4: I'm blending episodes together in my mind, I feel like that episode was pretty well rounded for Brooke because you got to see her relationship with her mom, her company, the thing's falling apart, how she's handled it, her integrity, the struggle that she's wrestling with between being you know, being a good boss and a good person and trying to save herself and her work and maintain her relationships, and there was a lot to Brook in that episode.
Speaker 5: I also don't think you could go wrong with the Bachelorte episode. I agree with you because you see a pretty full spectrum of who Brooke is, starting with the silliness, ending with the grace towards Sylvia, and that's true. Oh yeah, to see a really good thorough picture.
Speaker 4: Of Brook and that yes, oh and her willingness to have to admit about Yeah.
Speaker 5: Truth I think is I don't know, high school Brook. But I agree with you. I would sort of go I would skew adult because that's like who everyone's growing into. But yeah, I think that one would do it.
Speaker 2: What do you think for Clay?
Speaker 5: You know, I think the episode where he proposes to Quinn with Logan in there with the Green Lantern.
Speaker 2: Ring, Yeah, yeah, because.
Speaker 5: I think you really get a glimpse of Clay's world and what's important to him. I think he's also figured himself.
Speaker 2: Out a lot by that and his personality you can really see there too. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's really settled in himself. So yeah, I would say that episode is a really good snapshot of who I think he.
Speaker 2: Is great question close, Yeah, good one. Well it's been a real folks, let's do it.
Speaker 5: Most likely to guess age and wait at a fair.
Speaker 4: Oh, most likely.
Speaker 5: To organize a flash mob.
Speaker 4: I mean I would totally do that person. I don't think Haley would.
Speaker 2: No, it's funny. My my initial person reaction was Lisa Goldstein, Oh really really yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, because she's such a good dancer, and you know she was a Disney princess for so long. Oh yeah, she's used to the parades, and he's in a flashmob kind of a choreographed parade.
Speaker 2: It is. That's where my head went immediately.
Speaker 4: I feel like you would probably not volunteer for that job, but you also would be really good at it though, So because you are, I think you'd be a good coordinator. So if somebody gave you that job at like for their wedding, Like one of your friends was like, I need you to organize a flash mob for my wedding, I think you'd be all over it.
Speaker 3: I would be so stressed, but I would not let him down. I'd be like, God, I hate that.
Speaker 2: It's me. I have to find a choreographer now.
Speaker 4: If I ever get married. Again, I'm putting you on the project. I agree, just for fun.
Speaker 5: She was out of her comfort zone doing that, though, And let's be honest, we saw the way she danced. I don't think showing anyone how to dance, so no, I don't think it would be that.
Speaker 2: It's fair.
Speaker 3: That's fair after seeing how seriously he took his ushering job at Brooke and Julian's wedding, I would say, skills, you wouldn't expect.
Speaker 2: It, but I think he would crush it, Skills and Jamie if you sent them out to make that happenable. Yeah, where's that episode?
Speaker 5: I could also see Mouth organizing something like that for Millie. He just seems he just because he's just so sweet. I could just see if that was something she liked, because, like we obviously know, ballerinas are a thing for her. I could see him going out of his comfort zone for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, we've solved it, folks, We've done it. Everyone.
Speaker 5: Next episode is season eight, episode fifteen, Valentine's Day is over.
Speaker 3: See that makes it sound like everyone's fun is also coming to annou No?
Speaker 2: Oh, no, is it? Do we know?
Speaker 5: I don't know what happened to you to find out.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm gonna have to. Thanks for joining us week Hey, thanks for listening.
Speaker 3: Don't forget to leave us a review. You can also follow us on Instagram at Drama Queen's ot.
Speaker 2: Or email us at Drama Queens at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 4: See you next time we all about that.
Speaker 1: High school drama Girl Drama Girl, all about them high school queens.
Speaker 2: We'll take you for a ride. And our comic girl cheering for the right teams.
Speaker 4: Drama Queenslise my girl, rough girl fashion with your tough
Speaker 1: Girl, you could sit with us Girl Drama Queens, Drama Queise, Drama, Queens Drama Drama Queens Drama Queens