Speaker 1: Hey, hey, hey, jass hands and scene. I miss y'all. I feels like it's been forever.
Speaker 2: It's been years, year's days.
Speaker 1: What twenty four days with that worse? Is it twenty four days twenty four hours? I don't know whatever Tony was saying. I feel like it's that times two thousand. I'm just glad to be here in twenty eighteen, you know, making it great?
Speaker 2: Eight two thousand year the year. Then we're all gonna do better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, twenty eighteen is gonna come over here, sit down next to me, don't touch nothing, and behave yourself.
Speaker 2: Although I think I just said two thousand and eight, so I'm already not doing better now.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. So how was your New Year's Did you do anything special?
Speaker 2: We just kept it chill. We well, actually, you know how Oh I don't know if you have this issue, but when you have relatives in different like we have two different families now and basically we missed Thanksgiving and Christmas with my mother in law. So she was like, do not even think that you're not going to be here on New Year's Eve? I am I am like reserving, She's like, I'm calling. I'm in advance. I'm going to reserve you guys for New Year's Eve. You're going to be here on my couch eating my food, and it's done. So that's where we work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was cute. I was supposed to spend because we spent Christmas with ourselves and then I hung up my family a little bit. But for New Year's we were spending it with Superman's sister. But I got really sick. The flu like nearly took me out, so instead I spent it at home trying not to die. So I didn't die. I'm here, So that works. So my other thand that is pretty uneventful. Well, let's start a high note. Let's talk about Mama opraen these golden globes, and then we could get then we could take up the trash later. All right, fine, So Lady Oh, Oh, Lady Oh delivered the most amazing, inspiring speech nine full minutes where they did not even turn on the music because they knew better for Lady Oh, and it was just it was just what we needed to hear. And so I just want to I just want to take a moment to say thank you, Oprah. You are the Queen Bee, the Queen Oh, I don't.
Speaker 2: Even need her to run for president. I don't you know. I know that there's all this speculation about will she or won't she, But I feel like I don't even know if I don't know if Oprah being I mean, obviously I think she'd be an amazing president, but I feel like right now, we just need something to soothe our souls. And I feel like the entire Golden Globes, like Oprah's speech was definitely like the highlight, Like I basically just stopped watching after that. But the whole Globes, with the Me Too movement and all the all the celebrities wearing black and solidarity to show that they, you know, for the Times Up movement, it just feels like we're fine. Like like the fear around the whole Me Too movement was that, you know, is this like a flash in the pan? Is it really going to last? And is it going to like touch people's lives who aren't celebrities and who don't have huge platforms and you know, lots and lots of money, and so to have the Times Up movement that they started, they you know, they put out that they announced it on New Year's day in this like massive splashy like New York Times one page ad and it's three hundred actresses, producers, like high powered women in Hollywood who are getting together. But they're not just you know. Initially I was like, ough, like whatever, they're just you know, it's the rich, celebrity women, you know, trying to create another sort of you know, awareness movement around sexual harassmentch was fine, But what I've really what changed my mind about it was the fact that they are actually creating this Legal Defense Fund, Oh yes, yes, which is meant to They've already raised thirteen million dollars, but then they've opened up a GoFundMe account where you can contribute, and the funds in this Legal Defense Fund are meant to reach women who are not in the same privilege position as them as the founders of this movement, who may not be able to like, who aren't willing to speak up about what's happening to them at work because they're afraid of losing their jobs or they don't have the resources to take people to court.
Speaker 1: I just love when people who put their money where their mouth is. I mean, not literally because that's nasty, but like, you know, figuratively because it's like you can talk about it, but do you be about it? And so to see women like, you know, in power and positions of power and wealth quite honestly, to say, you know what, everyone is not in our position to come forward and be able to still support themselves. So we're going to do more than just like talk about it. You know, We're going to do something. And to see all the women who were black, except for the unfortunate few that clearly didn't get the memo they don't have friends. I was like, ma'am, why are you wearing a red dress? A red dress? No one told you? I felt bad. It was one lady in particular, wasn't in a text. Yeah, you could tell. She was like wait. I was like, ma'am, are you not in the secret Facebook group where they said everybody were black? Don't play yourself? And it wasn't even like she wore dark green. It was cherry red with cutouts. She was like, I know, but no. It was just really great to see that, you know, even like the subtle, the not so subtle shade of celebs on stage like Natalie Portman when she said and the all male nominees for director are Ron Howard next to her looked like Yi looked like Mike Myers when when Kanye said George Bush doesn't care about black people, he was like, that's not a word exactly. That needs to be a meme, a word, and it was just so dope tall. So also see Tauana Burke, right, the woman that started the Me Too movement?
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love the fact that, like, you know, Michelle Williams brought her on the red carpet because I don't want with all of this incredible momentum that that she her name, her legacy and what she started is lost, you know, and taken over. So I'm just glad to see that that's happened.
Speaker 2: I think it made up for the fact that Time magazine left her off the cover of Person of the Year when they named the Me Too movement. Yea, and they didn't put the founder on the cover. But she's she's doing she's doing just fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah. A friend of mine is like friends with her, and she she was the one who dropped the ball on New York in New York on New Year's and yeah, they were out there lit with the their fur and their tents. I said, if you don't represent for the East coast. That was awesome. Okay, now time to take out the trash. Let's talk about how somebody's president not our president. Is a tweet hall like, it's so crazy to see two grown men like him and Kim Junk. I'm not going to get the.
Speaker 2: Kim Jong un yes North Korea.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, I didn't want to get his name wrong, and I don't want to be disrespectful of his name. I have African name and people were like what, I'm like, girl.
Speaker 2: So he's threatening to blow us up all the time, So I wouldn't like to upset at you if he didn't get his name right, just saying well, Kim, why little rocketman?
Speaker 1: No Kim? Oh my god, y'all that is perfect. He who shall not be naming little Kim. We're going back and forth on Twitter. I'm like, what is happening? Is this real life? It's just anyway. But you know, a little gleam in my eye happened when I'm Steve Bannon, Donald Trump's right hand, you know, decided to slap him with it, and I thought, this is great. I cannot wait. Well now that fire and theory, so for those of you who don't know, there's a book that's come out. I guess it was written during the election, not during well during like the actual campaign, time before the election happened. Is that when that book was written.
Speaker 2: I don't know when it was written, but it covers it covers the Trump campaign in as early days in the administration.
Speaker 1: And so Steve Bannon, who we've all come to hate like, just had some critical things to say about the president during that time, and they showed up in the book, like he called him I'm patriotic and said that that his meeting with Russia was treasonis basically true thing, true team. But of course the president was livid because he's five and Steve Bannon has now been demoted and demoted again and demoted again, so much so now that he's not even at his beloved media company. Racist right remdia compute what is it called? Barhart? Right?
Speaker 2: Bright bart same thing, bear.
Speaker 1: Disrespectable thing. So yeah, I was just like, wow, it was so much going on. I'm like, why look at you, Steve Bannon. He looked disease on the outside, and I'm like, clearly you are slowly dying on the inside, and I'm here for it.
Speaker 2: The significance of the fall of Steve Bannon, I think, because so if you guys wonder why does this matter, you have to consider that Steve Bannon has these huge, hugely rich supporters who have been giving him money and being like you, now, you go find the next Trump, and you get the next Trump elected in small town USA, all over the country, taking open seats in Congress. And that is what Steve Bannon has been doing, trying to back anti Republican establishment candidates. And so the fact that he's seen such huge, massive donors to his cause back out in the wake of his remarks in this book, and now he stepped down for bright bart News, it's taking away that power. And I think a lot of people are excited about that.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think yeah, and I just because it's hopefully it's the it's the you know, just another little piece dismantled this disease regime. And that's all we're going to say about that, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean, at least we have a stable genius in the White House.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, oh my goodness. And so no, you know what, I thought, it was a little bit giggly. So and I I'm sure she's not stupid. But it was funny that when Oprah did her speech the next day, Avanka Trump tweeted her. It was like, oh my god, it was so inspiring. It was amazing. And I saw all these people tweeting her, like, girl, like should I tell her? Should or should we just leave it? To leave her because she's talking about your father Bublue, Like, and I think you mentioned before like that, yes that you you know, you believe that. Obviously she knows, but she's kind of like like a little subtle dig But I'm like, girl, your blood relation. I can't. I can't.
Speaker 2: I just feel like if there was you know, if you have you seen Get Out, yes I have, if there were such thing as a sunken place for women, like they're in that movie, there was a sunken place where African Americans would go. I feel like she's in the sunken place of womanhood, Like she's just I mean, how could you be in this, in this administration supporting it as a woman. I just feel like her, Sarah Huckabee, they're in the sunken place for women. That's how I feel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you know, hopefully they arise out of that sunken place and if not, they will sync with the ship and we will wave at them from the top. Oh, any other buzz things that you want to talk about.
Speaker 2: I do want to mention real quick at speaking of the Globes, just real quick to because I don't think we mentioned earlier that there were some first a lot of first I mean, apart from Viola Davis being amazing with her natural hair, a couple of like first time winners. So Sterling K. Brown became the first African American man to win in his category Best Actor in a Drama. Oprah of course was like not just making history with her speech, but just her mere presence winning that award. She was the first African American woman to win that award. It was called the Cecil be the Cecil b Merit Award. I forget Cecil something award by the by the Golden Globes. And who was the third one, Oh Azizanzari. Yeah, he was the first Asian to win. But I think he was Best Actor in a Comedy for Master of None.
Speaker 1: Yes, I like when I saw that, I was like, because I honestly I love him. He seems like the guy from high school that was like in your like you know, English class that had you rolling in the back and you were like, ausise, I'm gonna get an ass, stop making me laugh. Oh yes, I'm just And honestly, it was a magical knighte people's speeches were just great and yeah, I'm just I'm just proud of all the brown ambition that we saw on stage.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, there could have been a little bit more. It did sort of feel like if you watched the whole show all the way through, it did feel a little bit like I only wish that more women of color had won awards because I feel like the people who won were getting a lot of time to speak, and you really didn't hear but one women of color or one at black woman's voice that I can recall now. I remember I stopped watching like later in the show, But I don't think that there were significant women of color who won besides Oprah. So until Oprah spoke, I didn't see any other you know, of color making speeches. It was a lot of white women who had who were winning you know, awards in their category, which was great. But I think just because there weren't as many winners of color, you didn't you didn't like hear those voices as much. This was kind of sad, but yeah, you know, yeah.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, Now we got to take a week of take and push back.
Speaker 2: But I am. I am excited for the new year. I I know, right before the before we broke for the holiday, we had talked about resolutions and like paying down debt and stuff, and I wanted to reveal bomb so some some numbers around debt around the holidays. So every year Magnify Money, we put out the survey and we ask people the week after Christmas, you know, did you take out did you take on debt over the holidays? And if you did, how much debt? And for the past three years we've been doing this survey and guess which direction the number is going up? Up, up, up. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So actually I don't get it.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that people well I think honestly, so the economy's doing really well. The markets have been amazing, like having record market returns and not just that, but unemployment is at an all time low. So I think people are feeling more confident. I mean just there's all these indices that show that consumers are more confident, and I feel like people just feel like things are great, why worry about this little credit card? Like I can handle this. So this year, on average, people who took out took on holiday debt racked up over one thousand and fifty dollars on credit debt alone, which doesn't sound like a ton of money, But if you think about it, like if if you're if you're the kind of person who maybe has opened up like a store credit card around the holidays, and you put a thousand bucks on that card, if you just make the minimum payment on that card, and you have like a twenty plus percent interest rate, you could easily be paying that card off for the next five six years, like totally and hundreds of dollars in interest charges. So it's significant. And I don't know about you, but I feel like I think that this is a inagible amount of debt for anyone to have, for the average person to have. But what scares me is, like things are great now, but what if you let this debt linger and you just sort of like take your time paying it down, and then when things aren't so great, then all of a sudden, you've got this debt that you didn't pay off when things were a little bit flusher in the bank and now you're like stuck with it and then you're missing payments. And I think that's like how the spiral starts. Yeah, it's like it's it's taking care of debt when you can, when you have the means, so that when you something happens and you don't have the means, like you're not getting stuck down the rabbit hole, which I think a lot of like a lot of smart people do.
Speaker 1: No. And honestly, it's one of the reasons why Superman that I wanted to get our house quite honestly in cash, you know, because it was like, Okay, if you know, I don't know where life is going to lead, and you know, I'm nervous by nature, nervous chuck, not because I hate cha, you know, I just have to forget. But I just although I know business is great, I just seem too many ups and downs in my life. So I want to stabilize parts of my financial life to say, okay, so worst case scenario, like you know that we will always have enough if our house is paid for, we will make enough to cover our expenses, like even if I don't have a business anymore, or whatever, or there's a shift and trends or whatever, you know, And so no, I totally get it that you're right that when people are confident, they feel like, oh, I've got this debt, because I definitely have been there where I'm like, oh, I got this debt and then I lost my job, and then I lost my home, and I wish I didn't have this credit card debt holding me down. A friend of mine actually reached out to me and she was struggling with her credit card debt. One of her interest rates where like was like twenty five or something percent, something crazy, And so I actually directed her to the National Foundation of Credit Counseling because she was like, I don't have a whole lot of money, and all these financial or credit advisors you know, or they charge a lot, and you know, not all of I used to think all of them were cooks, but actually knows some personally and then they're not all. But I like the NFCC it's NFCC dot org because they're nonprofit based. So so she actually went through it and they based her payment like when she pays them to help her, they based upon what she makes, so it's like super low. She pays like twenty bucks a month or whatever while they're like helping her organize her finances and and get her credit together and stuff. So that's really low because most of the credit folks I know charge one hundred plus one hundred dollars or more.
Speaker 2: You're talking about just real quick. This is so the NFCC credit counseling, right. So I love the NFCC too, and I think there's like, I just want to make that distinction between what they're doing. They're a nonprofit, yeah, and what like for profit credit counseling or debt relief companies promise because like the NFCC, they you need to be in a fairly significant amount of debt to qualify for their services, but and also have an income so that you can actually make your payments. So those like the two requirements. But they so you pay them a fee every month and then they will work on your behalf as much as they can to negotiate, to negotiate your debt, come up with solutions to pay dow your debt, whether it's consolidation or organizing your debt and prioritizing it, whatnot, helping you with that whole strategy. So like there's other debt lily firms like you were talking about that charge also charge fees to do something similar, but who one may do things that are shady, like ask for fees upfront before they even do the service, or they may say that they can help you negotiate your debts, but then actually like the lenders won't even work with them. So there's there's definitely things to watch out for. But I think the reason, like everyone in that, like people like you and me, we always mentioned the National Foundation for Credit Counseling, it's because they're nonprofit yep, and they are not in it to make money off you exactly.
Speaker 1: And then two that they have locations in like every state basically, so you would go to NFCC dot org and you would type in your zip code and they would show you the nearest place near you. I don't even think she actually went in. I think like she just like worked through it on the phone, and she's actually really happy with it. She had a lot of questions, she was really nervous. She ended up consolidating her dad. She's like, wow, like I'm gonna be able to pay it off sooner. My monthly payments are now lower, and she was like, is it normal that they charged me a fee. I'm like, well, how much is the fee? And she was like twenty bucks a month. I'm like, yes, girl, like that is more than fair. So I was just really happy that she was happy and was moving toward you know that she'll be done in a few years and there's no I was like, there's somethings. I told her to check on make sure there's no prepayment penalty. I know that there wasn't with the NFCC, but I want wanted her to be. I wanted her to start asking those questions as part of procedure, are there any prepayment penalties? What other fees do you have? Like? So I had her had kind of like this checklist, and so she ended up feeling really empowered and so yeah, it's it's just a great organization if you're if you're in trouble and you want to you really need some handholding, but you can't afford you know, these other companies. Do you want to boost or do you want to break? I'm excited because I actually have a really good boot today. So I was like, we're not giving over boost to break.
Speaker 2: I wasn't gonna but okay, you go first time.
Speaker 1: Essence, it's back black owned. Isn't that so crazy that that's something that.
Speaker 2: We have to say that Essences I didn't know that they weren't exciting, though I know they.
Speaker 1: Were on my time ink. And so they were actually bought by I think his name is Richard mister Richelieu. I'm saying his name completely wrong, I'm sure. So he actually was the man that founded and created Shamee Moisture, and so he actually sold Shamee Moisture to Unilever, and I'm sure all that cash he said, what am I gonna do with this cash? So he ended up purchasing Essence. And what's super exciting is that their executive board is all black women, which I'm like, yes, So it's just like I know a lot of people that work at Essence, and everyone over there is like super duper duper excited, and so yeah, So because Essence is not just a magazine, Essence is a communications company. So they you know, they have Essence Fest and they have conferences and experiential like platforms and e commerce and so I'm just I'm just really excited to see the direction that Essence takes now that the magazine that speaks to black women is run basically by black women, which makes sense.
Speaker 2: That's amazing, and it doesn't happen that often.
Speaker 1: It doesn't. So that's a huge boost. You know, twenty eighteen, you doing all right, you know, keep it up, keep it up, keep it cute. And so that was just a little great Like I just saw everybody was super excited. I saw people who did not never bought Essence were like, I subscribed. I can't wait. Because the truth of the matter is like all my young friends, my millennial my Mandy millennial friends were like, Essence, nobody reads that magazine anymore. But when I was a youngin, Essence was like the go to. So it'd be nice to kind of see it pop again, you know. Oh on a little side boost, I got your car your holiday card today.
Speaker 2: Oh you did, Happy New Year. It's a little bit late. Playing the blizzard.
Speaker 1: He was so cute. Summer man is so cute. He opened it. He was like, oh, this is so nice. Look at Mandy. What did he say? She looks like she looks hilarious, she looks like fun or something like that. I bet you that's why I Enrique fell in love with her.
Speaker 2: I just sometimes like.
Speaker 1: Superman will just say the most like sweetest thing, and I'm just looking at him like that was really nice to say. He was like, I don't know where. It just came out of nowhere. He was just looking at the card like he was like, we're putting it on refrigerator right here, so it's on our fridge.
Speaker 2: I made the fridge.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, you made the fridge.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, mine set them a baby baby cards. I'm like this year, I was like, you gotta go. Sorry, little Joey, there's no more space for you.
Speaker 1: Anthony.
Speaker 2: Baby Anthony's got a got a new portrait. Gotta put that right up front. Yeah we did.
Speaker 1: We did kick somebody else off the fridge, and I was like, we gotta kick them off the fridge. He was like, it's no, it's time for them to go. We're putting Andy. We're putting Mandy in and Enrique here and instead. So you know, I was like, okay, I can do that.
Speaker 2: Here's my pro tip. I don't like to send Christmas cards like pre holiday cards. I send New Year's cards.
Speaker 1: Why.
Speaker 2: I ordered them like two days after the New Year. Whenever I can and they always have amazing deals on like New Year's cards after the New Year, and you know in the mail, like things get there a few days after you send them. So I think that's that's I think I spent. I saved like seventy percent on those New Year's cards because I waited until after the New Year, and like looked at all my promo codes and stuff, like Ebates had eight percent cash back. Then the website had like sixty percent off. It was it was exciting.
Speaker 1: That's smart, actually really smart. I'm like because I said, I'm like, I want to be one of those people that sends the really cute cards with like their family and stuff on it and everybody looks forward to it.
Speaker 2: So yeah, man, my boost is gonna be for So. I just watched the first episode of Grownish this Weekay, so I think I'm a little bit too old for it, but I really I'm just like, I was so happy because I love Yara Shahidi, who I still can't believe is like seventeen and a half or something crazy like that. But this is a spinoff from Blackish. They gave her her own show.
Speaker 1: Now. Yeah, it looks really cute. I saw a little bit of it.
Speaker 2: It feels like it feels like a different world, like of this generation, and it was really exciting to see it has like a real diverse cast. There's like there's gay, there's a bisexual character, there's obvious, there's like a there's an Asian character. I don't know. It just feels it feels really good and refreshing, and I wish I were nineteen be cause I feel like I would love it. But shout out to your Shihidi in the Blackish Family for the spinoff What Nework is that on? I just watch everything on Hulu now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm like, I don't know, demand, I don't know. I feel like nobody watches things in real time hardly anymore.
Speaker 2: I could do a whole boost for just female powered, women of color powered TV right now, because I feel like it's just amazing right now. Lena Waite has a new show on Netflix called The Shy Isn't Shy? It has to be shy right like Chicago, Chicago? Yeah, it's about it. I think it's about the gun violence at Chicago, but told through like real stories. I haven't watched it yet, but I'm really excited to watch it.
Speaker 1: It looks really good.
Speaker 2: And there's like the new Netflix show with two had two chocolate sisters who are like hijacking trains, Like you know, it's I feel like, what's really exciting is when you see shows about women of color where their color is not the focus of the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I love that. Uh huh okay, yeah.
Speaker 2: Two teenagers like robbing trains.
Speaker 1: That's fun. And then you know, like Etha Ray got like I think she got to a two show deal or something like that. Yeah. See, I don't know that's Netflix, but I know it's coming it's HBO or probably. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Because I was really sad that she didn't win Best Actress, I have to say we go back to the Golden Globes. I thought that she should have won. That was a bummer, but I digress. She was there with a girl, So.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know. I love von She is like my favorite. We like key Key in our in our group chat, like she's just hilarious. Like in real life and on TV.
Speaker 2: She's been blowing up. She had all these sold out shows opening up for Chris Rock ivon What's her Last Same Orgy ion or oh opening up for Chris Rock and Manhattan, and then my friends saw her at Carolines the other day, like a sold out show at this it's a comedy club in New York, New York. It just yeah, it just feels good.
Speaker 1: It does feel good, just good.
Speaker 2: It feels like a boost to boost.
Speaker 1: I feel like you haven't Yeah, I feel like we haven't done too boosts in Wow to boost. The Ravens tried real hard. Well, I'm excited because as we move into ask a question, get an answer, we're gonna focus our Q and A today on net worth. Correct, Mandra Yes, So.
Speaker 2: As you guys all know Tiffany on the side, Tiffany the Budget Nista Elite, your superhero persona. So for the last how many years now three four years, it's our fourth year, fourth year doing the Liverature Challenge, and this year was all about net worth, which is my favorite word ever, networth. So I thought today on the show, we could take a question from a listener who's asking about how to build her net worth, and I wanted to talk to you first about why is net worth the most important number you can know about yourself? Just to set us up.
Speaker 1: Well, because networth gives a more accurate picture of where you really stand. Financially. So if you tell somebody, oh, I make thirty thousand dollars a year, they might be like, ooh, you broke job. But that's not the full picture because that's just what you make. But it doesn't really it doesn't really explain or express how much you have as far as your finances. And you might tell somebody I make a million dollars a year and it sounds awesome, but that doesn't, like I said, express where you stand as far as your financial health. And so your net worth is a it's based upon two numbers. It's based upon your assets that's what you own, and your liabilities that's what you owe. So your net worth is what you own assets minus what you owe liability. So own like a car. People some people debate whether your car could be an asset.
Speaker 2: It can be saving sort of a praise like you only for the value it is, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. You're same thing like with if if you have investment accounts retirement. So you have to think to yourself this way that your assets are things that if you were to to liquidate them and get cash for them, what would you get. Now that's what your assets are worth. So like let's just say you own some pretty expensive jewelry, you know, you can include that in your net worth of your jury is a substantial enough, you know, not like if you have a you know, I mean, if you've got like a fifty dollars ring, that's cute, But I don't know, I wouldn't necessarily add that to my networth unless I unless I was like, you know, young, and I didn't have many assets. But your liabilities are things like you loan, your mortgage, your car note. So some people were asking me, like when they're folks who are doing the challenge, delivered your challenge, if if like their cable bill is a liability, and I'm like, no, unless you're behind. You have to think about your liability basically is debt not bills, So something that you have to pay down and off, that's the liability.
Speaker 2: So it's different from cash flow, Yes, it is.
Speaker 1: Different from cash flow. It's a networth is a snapshot right now of how much and what you own. If you would liquidate everything, what would that number be, you know, and then how much of what you owe If everybody came calling today and say give me my money everything that you own me right now what would what would the end result be? Would it be negative? At one point, I was almost three hundred thousand dollars. My network was a negative three hundred thousand almost because I owed the house that I eventually lost, which was like two hundred thousand my mortgage. I also owed thirty five thousand dollars on a credit card because of a scam that I was a victim of. And then I also owed fifty thousand on a on my student loans, so that was like what to eighty and I didn't own and well, I had a beat up car, so it was like maybe the car's worth pair five thousand. That's literally all I had left because I had taken all the money out of my retirement account, I had no savings, I had no money, maybe like a few bucks in my pocket, but that was it. So my net worth was basically like negative two seventy five, so pretty steep. And that's one of the reasons why I kind of really wanted to focus on networth this year with the Liveratuer Challenge, because we've done the fundamentals. That was the first year we've done the savings edition. That was the second year. Last year, you know, we we partnered with Magnify Money, and you guys saw Mandy every single week and I'm gonna get her on this challenge as well. We did the Credit edition, which is really dope, and so this year, as usual, the challenge is completely free. It's my gift to y'all. You can sign up for the Networth Edition at l RC networth dot com. We actually don't have like any big sponsor or anything this year, so just like kind of like me out of pocket, just like sharing because I love to see y'all move full. So I can't wait to, you know, take this net Worth question so y'all can learn how to make a networth pop in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 2: And I love what I love about net worth too, And I'll put a link to the Literature Challenge Networth LRC Networth THH dot com. Yeah not Network. Someone had asked Network, what.
Speaker 1: I know it's my list? I'm sorry. No.
Speaker 2: What I love about it is that it's not it almost. I feel like sometimes people are pleasantly surprised by their net worth because it's really easy to think about everything that is due and everything that maybe like your student loan debt or you know, your mortgage or whatnot. But when you're talking about your mortgage, you also have to look at the equity in your home that you you know the value of your home, and take that into account. The value the equity in your home is an asset. The mortgage is a debt. But when you put them together, you have a much smaller number than the debt that you owe. Or yeah, you hopefully have a much smaller number. So I just think, yeah, it's a more holistic way and more like realistic way of looking at what you owe and also what you have working for you. So love it, love it, love it. So in honor of the net Worths Challenge from the Liberature Challenge this year, I wanted to take this question and you guys, nothing has changed in the new year. You can still send your questions to us at Brown Ambition podcast dot.
Speaker 1: Com, well at gmail dot com. I'm like, wait a minute, well no, well that's true. I'm sorry, Brad, Oh wait, what's happening?
Speaker 2: Let me do that again. Question. Make sure to put in your email though, if you want us to use your name or not. If you don't, I just assume you want me to call your business out there. So uh, but thank you so much for your questions, and we do answer. These are real questions we're answering, So definitely check back on the next episode to see if we answered your question. So Ashley, I thought this question was really good and fitting for the net Worth conversation. So Ashley has this question, she says, I am well, I'm grateful for your knowledge and pleasant discussion of topics that can sometimes be difficult to discuss. I'm a twenty seven year old married teacher of five years. I have a tendency to look for more work like tutoring, essay grading, academic support, rather than trying to better manage the funds I am currently earning. What recommendations do you have for a go getter to get on track to get on track for better financial management. I see that working hard and getting side hustles was great, but I also feel like I'm losing time with my family and also have to consider that as part of the price. So it's like she's taking on a bunch of work trying to increase her This is one way to increase your net worth, but she's wondering, like could she get further by working on the underlying issues that she may have like the reasons why she feels like she needs to take on this side hustle work in order to have to do less of it so she can spend more time with her her family.
Speaker 1: Definitely, Honestly, it's to me it's the age old question of how do you balance? Because networth is those two things that you can make more. That way you can have more, or you can spend less. That way you can get rid of your debt. And to me, there's no right or wrong. It really depends on what your personal goals are. So if you have not but I will say this that if you have not maximized your current budget meaning not meaning that like you know, you're counting every little penny and you're not going anywhere or anything else, but you're not you don't have an actual working budget. You're not kind of looking at the ins and outs of how the money is coming in. Definitely do that because you might find you don't have to work as much as you think. You know, that's the key is that I don't believe in what I call over sacrifice. What I don't just call it that, it's like a word like I don't believe in over sacrifice, meaning like you shouldn't do more than you have to do to achieve your dream. So if your goal is to save let's just say ten thousand dollars in twenty eighteen, you can say, well, I can work extra hours to make ten thousand. Or you know what if we you know, eight out lunch, you know, only three times a week instead of five times a week, we could save five of the ten and I only have to work half as much. So you have to kind of do that that like juggling act, but start with your basic budget so that way you don't have to over sacrifice, you don't have to work as much if that's not what you so desire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think too looking at I feel like looking at decisions and asking yourself, how is this going to impact my net worth? Like once you get that number, you know, let's say it's like, I don't know, negative five thousand, Like you're making a good income, but you have ten thousand dollars in debt and you got five thousand in the bank saved up, so your negative five thousand dollars net worth. Like, I think, once you have that number and every major decision you're about to make, asking yourself, like how is this going to impact my net worth? Is it going to get bigger or is it going to get smaller. I think that that can really help people. I mean, I think that's a differference between going out and upgrade into the hottest car or that new iPhone because you feel like everyone has it, yep, versus finding a car that you can drive for ten years because it's gonna make your net worth positive.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and it starts to change your decisions. I mean, when I first met Superman, he wanted a new car so bad, and it took like a herculean effort not to convince him not to get a car, not to get a car just yet. And so because he had a car, he just wanted a new car. And then it wasn't until we really started the home buying process and he saw that we had enough to get a house cash and what that meant. And now there's a potential investment property that we're going to purchase, And now all of a sudden, he starts he's shifting like what he sees that money can do, Like I can get this car, or I can get this property that's actually going to put one hundred thousand dollars in our pocket. Huh, let's do that instead. And so, you know, it's much easier to stick to a plan when you have a specific goal in mine and the goal is tangible, because it shifts your definition of sacrifice because no one really likes sacrifice. But I don't feel like what we do is sacrifice because in the end, there's so much more to be gotten. So asking yourself, you know, kind of like what is that end goal? Because then it becomes joyful making decisions that put you toward that end goal, and you start to realize that the things that you wanted to collect before, you know, are actually not not as fun because they take you away from your goal of financial freedom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we talk about let's talk about some like actionable ways to improve your network. So there's the obvious ones, like Ashley is in trying to increase her income. That's obviously one way to improve your net worth. Paying down your liabilities like debts is one way to increase your net worth. Sit and budgeting, you know, cutting expenses so that you're like your day to day living expenses are decreased, that's another good way. What about like strategic ways to increase your net worth. Like for example, one way to increase your net worth obviously is to cut expenses so you can save more, but think about saving in a vehicle that could like really work for you, Like saving in a way where your money can actually grow. You know, baby steps obviously, like getting an online savings account where you might get a better return for your money, or a CD where CD rates are arising, or something even bigger like what Tiffany's saying, like seeing about investing some savings, investing your your finances into an investment property that could potentially give you returns. Opening up or contributing to your four to one K which can give you return on your money over time, or like opening up a brokerage account on the side when you feel like you are in a place where you can do that because then your money is working for you and it's it's like adding that extra little bit of something something to your strategy so you're not just so you don't like you're just like some people can feel like you're digging a hole and it's just like filling back up with stand is that the expression is that a thing I'm like, I haven't heard that you're trying to put down but thanks.
Speaker 1: That's not a normal expression.
Speaker 2: It's like when you get a big plate of food at a restaurant and you're like, damn, I feel like I've been eating for days and it's not going anywhere. Yeah, like that just me, No, okay. Anyway, it helps you move the needle a little bit faster to think of, like how can I maximize my savings? And you know, what about maximizing that? Like if you have income from your side hustle, how you know maybe instead of just putting it in a regular savings account, if you know, if you've got most of your debts paid off and you can invest it, like why not make the money work a little bit, you know, investing into a brokerage account or an IRA or something or an IRA or something like that on the side, or putting it toward a bigger investment goal, like like an investment property down the line.
Speaker 1: There's actually I want to give you a link, Mandy, to put on our blog because I've been really trying to like a investigate different robo advising companies, you know, like Acorns and I think Ally has one. And of course there's learned vest that you've used before, and there's one called earned Vet no l Vest that I've like. I went to New York to meet with them to really learn more about what they do. And one thing that they have and I'll give you the link for it, is that they actually do and I just got mine the other day and I thought it was great. They do a free investment plan which can cost anywhere from one thousand dollars plus. And because I had actually paid an investment advisor not too long ago to create an investment plan. So what I liked about the Lvest investment plan was that you went on you said your age, and there was like five different future financial goals choose from like I want to get a house, or I want to I want to grow wealth, or I want to retire or whatever. You choose your goals and then you put your goals in order of importance and then you put down how much money do you want to have one and then so Elves creates like this just like personalized plan that kind of says, okay, Mandy at the age R Now if you save for twenty years and put it in an IRA account or you put it in this kind of account and the average rate of return on that account is this, this is what you're gonna have. This is how close you can get to your to your goal. I just thought it was really great to kind of see like these numbers compute. But in a way that was because I've done a lot of those kind of like almost all of them have something similar like that. But I'm not gonna lie. Sometimes I'm looking at it, I'm like, I don't know what this means, you know, like what is this? What do these numbers mean? But it was really clearly define and it's completely free. You know. Of course it's always an upset which you don't have to because I have a financial advisor. So you can take your investment plan and sit with your financial advisor if you have one, or take your investment plan if you decide you want to invest on your own, but at least you have some sort of blueprint. So it's like I said, it's free, and I don't know how long it'll be free, but well I think I'm pretty sure'll be free for a long time.
Speaker 2: Ago specifically, what's free is the investment plan, right, because they do charge fees for their So that's what.
Speaker 1: I mean that just get yourself the investment planned. You don't, You're no under no obligation obviously to sign up for elvest, but get it, cause I, like I said, I have a financial visor already, so I'm not. I mean, I'm sure oves was great, but I already paid my financial visor, so he's gonna earn his keep. But I printed out my plan, so the next time I meet with Frank, I'm like, let's talk about this, you know. So it's a great like kind of like opener tool to say, hey, these are my goals. Now I can see them in like this financial way that I understand. Let me you know, it's just a great jumping off point no matter what you decide to do with.
Speaker 2: It and all of us. It's actually been around for a few years, but it's just now like really catching on. They've been doing a lot of marketing. But it's it's targeted toward women, l get it. Lelevest, Yeah, it's targeted toward women. Founded by Sally Crawcheck, who's a long time executive in the banking industry. So and I would put it in the category of a betterment wealth front Elevest because they have these sort of prepackaged sort of investment portfolios and do you do get sort of like a semi tailored investment portfolio, but they're not like actively moving like they're not actively managing it like you get it like you know, really an expensive investment firm and they but because of that, they can charge lower fees than what you may get from like traditional investment firms. But it's in that category of like betterment wealth front yep, I'm blinking on some others.
Speaker 1: Acorns, right, is acorn worn well.
Speaker 2: Acorns is a little bit different because that's collecting savings that like as in acorns where they're tracking your spending and you can set aside the change that they find in your bank account and invest it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right. Yeah, it's more so you're right. Acorns is more like a like a roundup and so maybe like a wise banion. That's another one that's kind of like does that kind of like advising robo advising where they advise you but not it it's it's it's not as in depth as you sat in front of somebody, but not as hands off as you did it by yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Acorns is a good for beginners, like if you if you don't have a lot of money. You don't have, like, you know, enough money to to qualify for minimum balances for like a brokerage account. So you want to start with acorns, just get your toes wet. That's cool, like an lavest a betterment. That's if you have a little bit of money outside of your four one K and you want you want sort of like a semi hands off approach to investing, and that's where like a robo advisor can be helpful. Yeah, I have. I've looked into, Like, oh, personal Capital is another one. Personal Capital is pretty good. You It's it's sort of it's like it's like a mint coupled with an advicement, an investment advisory firm, like a digital investment advisory. So I think you have to have a certain amount of assets. But it's I love it because I love their interface so much, and it's it's where I get my networth at. I love Personal Capital's like whole interface. Okay, And if you want to like go the next step up, you can get one on one coaching from their advisors. I don't actually know what their fees are, but it's something to look into too. Personal Capital.
Speaker 1: Okay, Oh, I've heard about them too. I've heard good things about them. I mean somebody just hit I think I feel like somebody hit me on social media. It was like Tiffany, I like Personal Capital have do you heard? Have you heard of them? These kind of like new These companies are new Wish, Like it's a movement that's been growing, but it's new Wish. So it's really to answer the question for folks who want to invest but don't traditionally want to kind of sit in front of a person. They're like, what financial advisor, but also are like I don't know what to do. So it's just like it's a great way to do it yourself, but not oveway by yourself. It's almost like going to college. So you're like, I'm an adult, but you live in the dorm and there's like a dor mom, and you're like, okay, you're you live by you, you're independent with help, you know.
Speaker 2: I think it's really exciting to look. It's also like if it you know, if it's I think it's really smart that you're doing net worths four years and because it's almost like, okay, we've worked on the budget, worked on credit debt, you should have a bit of a net worth now, so now how do you maximize it? And that's for these tools, and that's where looking at an investment strategy. This is the exciting part where you're like, Okay, I'm in a pretty solid place, yeah, and I'm ready to make my money work for me.
Speaker 1: And that's why we've done it like this, like I've been really because what I what I also try to make sure that we do is we really try to listen to the DreamCatcher. So that's the community that allows me to help them move forward financially. And so we always are doing surveys and also too, we have our Facebook group, so I'm always like kind of taking a temperature in the group of like what are people talking about. In the beginning, the first the ritual challenge was all about the fundamentals because people were literally like I'm just trying to say five dollars a month. So I was like, okay, how do we get you to the fundamentals of basic budgeting, basic money mindset? And then it was like everybody want to save more and I'm like okay, And then it was like okay, girl, I'll have some savings. My credit is crazy. Then it's like Okay, So it's I'm really wanting to push us forward, and so I don't know what next year is going to be. Like I said, I take a temperature, I ask questions, I look at the survey and then it but it'll it'll build upon networth. It might be the Investment Challenge, it might be the small business edition of you know So, but just whatever the next level kind of looks like. And then and then I think that'll be it, quite honestly, and this is my first time saying it publicly, but I think after that that we'll just loop the challenges back around again, that it'll it'll round at at five solid free challenges and then you know, we'll go back and start with the fundamentals again for those who want to do that again, and just like reloop every five years with the challenges. And honestly, I'm really proud of them because so many people have been able to help themselves. Like I always say, I don't want to be your financial guru. I think, like, first of all, I don't I know like five things, and I'm like, girl, I don't know, but what I do know is how to teach, and so if I figure it out after messing up, or I can phone a friend. I know how to put it in a way that you can now help yourself. I want to be your financial girlfriend where I'm like, I'm not here to tell you like everything, and you're supposed to come back to the well and keep dipping into the well. No, I'm here to create a resource that can teach you that has been well researched, not just from my own knowledge, that I've partnered with really dope people to make sure that the information is correct and accurate, and that teaches you in a way that honors where you currently are and teaches you in a way that you're able to reteach the people in your network. Because a guru has to talk to everyone. A girlfriend just talks to you, and then you're the girlfriend to your girlfriends. And so that's what i want. I want to teach you and for you to take that information and to share with other people. And that's how movements really move forward. Because one day I'm gonna have twins and I'm gonna be too busy for all of this. Wait what, I don't know. That's what Superman said. He's like, you know, we haven't twins, right, I'm like, please stop wishing twins upon my unius. It's like and my mom today said it. She was like, I was just thinking about you. I think you guys should go for twins. I'm like, why is everybody telling us because he's just going for well, because well, because so my surgery is gonna be in like two weeks. So we haven't talked about how we're gonna be our taping, but so and so my fibride surgery, and then three months after that we can try to have a baby. But I think honestly that instead of like waiting for just the natural route, I think I'm actually gonna go for in vitro because I'm thirty eight. So I just kind of feel like, girl, maybe pro thirty i'd be like, well, let's try for a year naturally. But I feel like, you know, at thirty eight, I'm kind of like, let's stack the odds in our favor. Plus he's got that good insurance so that they paid for everything, they paid, they would pay for everything, and you know, yeah, one of his coworkers actually had twins. She chose to have two fertilized eggs and planted, and he was like, well, you know what that means. I'm like, I don't actually know what that means, but I'm becoming more and more open to the thought of twins because although I know it would be a lot, especially for the first time out that I don't know that I just don't know at thirty eight, if I'm gonna be able to do it twice, you know what I mean. Like, there's like, if I get pregnant this one time, this might be it, you know what I mean. So, and I kind of don't want to just have one kid. I mean, more and more that I think about. I mean, we have bonus daughter, which I love, and she's eleven, so I really I mean, I grew up with sisters close to my age, and I know what it is to have someone close to your age to play with and hang out with, and that should beff and I kind of want that for my kid, And so I'm thinking about twins. Girl, we shall see a budgeted the babies, Oh, Chad, I'm gonna make those. The time those kids are five, they will have paid for their their college tuition with I'm like, I need we're gonna be doing a blog post. Guy, Are you guys ready? Are the babies ready, let's go.
Speaker 2: I'm just excited for all the amazing financial conversations we can have about in vitro fertilization and exciting. Yes, please continue being continue experiencing these things.
Speaker 1: It's nerve wracking because everybody who's had in vitro wants to tell me how much it hurts. I'm like, girl, I don't want to hear all that, just like having.
Speaker 2: You know, like you gotta like pump yourself for home owns before they even inject you, Like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know exactly, And so I mean, I'm just trying to get through the fibroids. So you know, it's because it's nervous because I actually just last night on the news they had like this like breakthrough where they have this fibroid pill now, but it's not fully vetted. So my mom was telling me about it and I was like, well, Wammy, I don't know how far off that is, like my surgeries in two weeks. I don't want to push it off. And then it's like, well, do you get the surgery where they cut you open like a c section, or you did get the lapiscopic I think where they kind of like laser it out, and so just there's so many choices and so many risks depending what you choose, and then if you choose the surgery, there might be scar tissue, you can never get pregnant. There's just honestly, everybody.
Speaker 2: One of my friends has just gone through this whole fibroid situation this last year over the summer, she'd had the surgery and she is fine. Now okay, so don't I mean, if that can give you any sort of piece, She's okay, she's good, she's healthy.
Speaker 1: Because I know everybody has so many things and I'm like, ah, but I'm like, you know what, it's scheduled because if I if I try to push it back to do more research, then I'm just not going to do it. And I'm like it has to happen because these five words. And it's so crazy. When I talk to people about five boards, I would say one out of every three women of color that I say, did I tell that I have five boys, They're like, oh, yeah, me too. So either they've already had their kids or they haven't. They're trying to figure out what to do next. Reason why I talk about it because I want to normalize the fact that this is something that specifically our Brown ambition community experiences at a higher rate than other communities, and it's something that we should talk about that it shouldn't be some hidden secret, you know, And what do you do? A lot of women are like, well, girl, I had my baby, so I'm good, you know, or like you know, a lot of women I know have used exercise and diet. So I mean, I've definitely lost weight and I've changed my diet. But I just don't have the time to kind of wait. Like if, like I said, if I was a little bit younger, maybe I'd be like, you know what, I'm going to rock out this year, strict diet and exercise, shrink them naturally, and then go for the baby. But at this point, I'm just like take them out because I want to get this party started right.
Speaker 2: You know what I found out you can purchase pregnancy tests and condoms with your FSA money.
Speaker 1: Really that's excellent, yes, because.
Speaker 2: I may or may not have on December thirty, it's been trying to blow through all my FSA money because I put way too much in there. Whoopsie. And you you know, your flex savings account or sorry is a flex spending account, So you can put up to like twenty six hundred dollars in their year, And I thought I had a bunch of dental work, but I still ended up with like six hundred bucks left over. Whoops. And you either use it or you lose it. So yeah, I found out though you can go to you can go to like drugstore dot website. So I went to drugstore dot com. Well what I what I happened was I went to Walgreens dot or right, yeah, drugstore dot com, which is like owned by Walgreens now, and they actually have an FSA shop in there. So everything in that little category on the site you can pay for with your benefits card. So you know, I may or may not have gotten a bunch of unneeded pregnancy tests, like did those expire? I don't even yeah, like six.
Speaker 1: You're like, yeah, I'll take all of them, all the tests, please take.
Speaker 2: You just want a little reassurance, you know, like those things aren't cheap. So you know, for me, it's like, oh am I not pregnant? Who but yeah, a bunch of those I mean, but like sun block, I got like a ship ton of the nice band aids that I like. Firstly, it's ridiculous sunscreen. I'm all ready to go. Yeah, I'm ready, and I will not be maxing out my my FSA this year because that was stupid.
Speaker 1: Well, when you know better, you do better.
Speaker 2: And now you know better, plan.
Speaker 1: It's time for week Wednesday, since you know our podcast goes lap on Wednesday. So are you gonna win? Well, we are a winner.
Speaker 2: There's only one choice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. I forget. This is not like but a long day, but a long good day. So what is your win for this week?
Speaker 2: I have to do a win for I mean, this is this is this is what win for workplace challenges, So a win for and I hope nobody who works for me is listening to this podcast episode. But it's my first time going through performance reviews as a manager, which means actually having to have those conversations with my employees. And I just wanted to do a anticipatory win that I'll do a really good job and I won't mess it up because I'm a little bit nervous of it. I know that's not really a win, but I just want it. I just need some encouraging, encouraging.
Speaker 1: Now you're gonna You're gonna win you're gonna rock out, You're gonna do well. They're gonna be like, oh my gosh, Mandy, it's amazing.
Speaker 2: And I'm also stealing some you know. I talked a lot about like things I've learned just going through resumes for open positions, like mistakes people have made and things that I look out for, and I'm i'll be, I'll be I'll be collecting some tips on on how to rock your performance review because I think for a lot of people, this is like the one time of year when they have an opportunity to remind their boss all the amazing things they did. And I've already had one case where someone reminded me of something that she had done earlier this year and I was like, oh, I forgot about that. You're right, that was dope. Yeah, So a win in advance for this whole process and hopefully making the right sort of decisions.
Speaker 1: Well, my win is kind of collective. So a friend of mine, her name is angeloviin McKnight. She's also an assembly woman. So you guys may have mentioned I remembered that I mentioned this like probably a year or so ago that so she's fairly new. Well, I don't know, maybe like a year or so in into her Assembly women this and she reached out to me and was like, I want to do something as it relates to education. I want to get something passed. And I said, okay, Well, in the state of New Jersey, there's a law where they have to teach some level of financial education in high school. But honestly, I taught preschool for ten years in New Jersey and it needs to start as low as kindergarten because by age truthfully, by age three, kids start saying can you buy me? Not can you can? You can? I have? And she was like really, And I was like, but there's no law for that. I mean, like teachers might teach a little bit about money or whatever, but there needs to be some thing in place, and she said okay. So we sat down together and we started crafting a bill, and then we met with some committee for Education of Kids or something like that and worked on the bill even further. And so the bill kind of like slowly started to grow and she started to get bipartisan support. And so the bill originally was going to be named the Budget East to Bill, but we found out we couldn't name it that because you can't name a bill out of a business, but we call it it that anyway. Really it's Bill A three three sixty nine, but who cares about that. It's the Budget East the bill. So what's super excited that she hit it yesterday and said, so there's three there's four levels of government that had to go through. It had to go through the what did she say? It had to go through the Assembly Committee, then the Assembly House, then the Senate Committee, and recently the Senate House. So there are thirty three senators in New Jersey in all, thirty three, so thirty three to zero voted yes on this bill. So that was the final kind of frontier as far as that part of the government is concerned. And now the last step. The bill now is currently on Governor Chris Christie's desk and all he has to do is sign it and that bill becomes law. Yes, and that law would be that K through eight So kindergarten to eighth grade would have to learn some level and I'm sure we'll figure out the logistics and stuff later, but they have to be taught financial education. So the first time they're not introduced to it for the first time in high school. That they're learning it early on and just to be it's just it feels crazy and historic and momentous to be part of, like something that can be turned into a law. So now I'm like, what, but at least the law even though clearly they're not calling it that, but I'm calling it that. So yeah, I just want to say it. Honestly, I did, like, you know, a little bit of the work upfront. But Angela, Angela v. McKnight, she is amazing because I mean, it's one thing to sit down and say there should be a law, and the law should be this, and that's literally my involvement. Angela, the one with though, is the one that had to go get support on both sides of the aisle and massage it and go to the Senate and go to the Assembly House. And so it's been two years of her tireless work to get it to where it is now. Where I mean the work you have to do behind the scenes. If you watch House of Cards, you see what it looks like to get everybody like on board thirty three to zero that everybody said yes, we want this bill to be a law. So my win truly is for Angela and her tireless work that even before she was an assembly woman, she had started a nonprofit called Angela Cares, where it was to provide support for senior citizens where she lives in Jersey City. She's an amazing woman, a mother, a grandmother and just you ever meet those just kind hearted souls. And she ran for office because she was doing such great work in the community just because that people are like, I want you to be in office, and she was like yeah, and they like pushed her and then I forget what her first election was that she won, and now she's assembly woman and I'm just hoping that she goes further and further because she's one of the one that really does it because she wants to see people do and be better and she's got and just the fact that like she's a brand new assembly woman and for her to have a potential law under her belt, like it speaks volumes to her her character and her ability to get stuff done. And she's brown ambition. So there's not win for the budgetist the law aka law A What did I say, girl? See No one remembers saying A three three sixty nine.
Speaker 2: I was I was trying to play double Dutch and I was not getting in there.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, go ahead, Okay, I'm open, rope ahead, it's sick.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to say it's nice to hear at the local level people making a difference, because I think it can feel like it can feel like, oh, we have a president idiot in the office, blah blah blah, what can I do? But it's people like Angela really like at the grassroots level just running for your local office, you know, like that's something that like anybody can do just to make a little bit of an impact. And I'm a huge hypocrite because its not like I've done that, but that's awesome, awesome, Yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 1: And Plus what I love is that Angela has bigger plans. Her thing is that if New Jersey can pass this and then we can successfully run it, then that's something that we can kind of like roll over to other states to say, hey, we have a model that works Pennsylvania, New York, and you know, so hopefully this is just the first of many states to adopt this this law, and we can make it a federal law, which would be amazing.
Speaker 2: Dope. That was a nice way to end the show, I know, right, and it was financial look on message. Well happy new Year.
Speaker 1: Yes, Happy New Year to YouTube.
Speaker 2: Um, yeah, you guys how many. If you guys want to give us a belated holiday gift, you could go to iTunes and leave us a review. That would be a spectacular. We happen to get a lot of nice little messages over the holidays, but you guys could really make a good impact if you left us reviews on iTunes because iTunes shows people our show based on the number of reviews we get and of course downloads. So thank you so much for your support. Share the love, tell a friend and hit us up at brand Ambition podcast dot com. Come send us questions. We're on Facebook, Brown Ambition and on Twitter at the BA podcast.
Speaker 1: Yes. So this was awesome. It was a nice kind of like welcome back, welcome back. Well, I'm gonna take us hot with a song, so you can fade this go Mandy, you know, like in post protection, welcome back, welcome back, welcome back, Come on, Mandy, welcome back, welcome back.
Speaker 2: Was saying welcome at the end. I had too many questions.
Speaker 1: I'm like whatever, I feel like, come on. And then on top of that, well, you know, I saw a lot of people who were mad at the parents. But one thing one of my friends who actually in the industry and her daughter models, and she was like, typically you signed a contract that say he says that that you know, whatever pictures come out, that's what they're gonna be. And two, they don't like parents to be a distraction on the set, So you don't get to see what your child is wearing. You just know it's H and V. It's not like he's gonna be naked, you know, so he's gonna wear a hoodie or whatever. But you don't get to actually see the pictures. And then the pictures typically parents see them when when when the world sees them? And so that because a lot of people were saying, what why did his parents allow us? And they might not have known until we kind of knew. But let's place the blame where the blame lies. I don't despite it being even if it was taken in Sweden, where maybe that's not considered racist, but you put the ad here in the United States, where you know better. I mean, come on now, but I did hear. The good news is that Diddy offered him a million dollar modeling contract for his I don't know if I didn't know if he still had a clothing line, but apparently offer him a million dollar modern modeling contract, which is dope?
Speaker 2: Is Sean John still a sen?
Speaker 1: I know that? I was like, is that I'm not so either way, I'm like, go ahead, Diddy, go ahead.
Speaker 2: I like, I don't just run out of things to say about things like that. Just yeah, I just like, I don't know, someone just needs to be fired, Swoop him up, put him in the trash, move on.
Speaker 1: I don't know what somebody it feels like. I just so you just don't have anybody of color like on your team will Sweden? You said, well yeah, but still, I mean like, okay, so if pictures are shot in Sweden, do they not like trickle down to So if if marketing stuff is not gonna if it's something that you created for the overall company is going to be shared in different markets, is there not like some sort of like oversight committee, because you know, what might go in in in the Hispanic market might not go well over in Uh, you know, I don't in an African market, you know what I mean? So, like I would assume with a I'm sure h and M is a billion dollar, if not multi multi multimillion dollar company, that there's some sort of oversight committee because you just knowing that all things don't fly everywhere, you know, and just looking like, huh, calling this little brown boy a monkey via his sweatshirt might not be a good idea, but it's just yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: Like you thought that the dove ad was bad. That was a brown shirt exactly, and yeah this was H and M's like my.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wow, sorry to bring it down, but you know, I just had to make sure we got that out because I was just like, put in the heck.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm actually going to bring you down and uh, possibly upset you because I'm really sorry. Now. Yeah, so we weren't recording for the first ten minutes.
Speaker 1: Oh no, that's not so bad.
Speaker 2: Okay, No, no, I'm not over Okay, I'm sorry. I didn't realize that I had. I guess when I put my new headphone and it stopped recording.
Speaker 1: Okay, my bad.
Speaker 2: But I wrote down a list of things that we talked about Oprah, golden globes, fire and fury, and then we went right into the I picked up right when you started talking about the H and M thing, okay, so we need to do the whole intro again.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, it's okay. You ready yeah,