Speaker 1: And now moving my mic back, you're like that you can strike.
Speaker 2: Headquarters behind him.
Speaker 1: And well, if you're just turning in a civic cipher, I am your host. Ramsay's job. He is Ramses, I am q Ward. This is a civic cipher. Shout out to our producer and is Maggie aka Maggie knowing g you do this. Indeed, we have a new intern in studio. His name is Keon, so shout out to Key as well. Stick around. We're going to talk about some more teens. Let's make sure that we touch on a very heavy issue. There's a video that went viral of police chasing a twelve year old boy who was riding on an a t V. So we're gonna spend some time discussing how the police beat and kicked him. We're it's gonna take some time to talk about the Chicago race riot. That will be for our Way Black Street. Fact. That one's a tough one too, but hey, we need to know about it. And if you weren't around in nineteen nineteen, then you know I had to learn it, so so do you. But first we're going to talk about how to become a better ally baba. So Yeah, this week's BABA comes to you from Black Enterprise Magazine's sponsored by Hip Hop WEV magazine, and we're going to talk about Stillantis leveling the playing field for black suppliers. All right. Stilantis and the National Business League have launched the inaugural Collective of the National Black Supplier Development Program. National Black Supplier Development Program will support the development of more than two point nine million Black businesses around the country and internationally for future opportunities within the federal government and public and private sectors. The program announced the new program edition of a diverse group of several corporate partners that will enhance the development and business opportunities forticipating companies. Corporate partners include additional auto manufacturers that's a big one, Tier one suppliers, finance, banking, and other business service providers. Quote. These are exciting next steps for the Stillantes National Business League National Black Supplier Development Program. That's a mouthful on its journey to ensure that all black businesses and enterprises and suppliers have an equitable and inclusive stake in the global marketplace. Excuse me. The launch of the inaugural Collective and addition of outstanding corporate partners Ensues insures the program will be a sustainable force of significant business and development opportunities for black businesses, entrepreneurs and communities for many years to come. That comes to us from Mark Stewart, the COO of Stillant's North America. And this one comes from Maggibi Noan. Whatever you can do to diversify your suppliers for your business or your household, it all makes a difference and allows you to be a BA, become a better ally BA BA. So that is a wonderful example of people championing black businesses and creating opportunities that will create a more equitable environment for all of us. Now onto the big business. I guess I should paint this picture. You want to paint it, you can, But I do want to say that this time we both watched the video. Yeah, we try not to do that. We try to, you know, share the load and we try to not we both have to bear the trauma of the type of things that we have to consume in order for this show to be done properly. But we both saw this one and many of you listening maybe have seen it as well. And you'll begin as you listen to the description of this story to maybe be a little sick to your stomach, because there might be some truths in this one that I wouldn't seem or appear to be obvious to you. If you didn't see it, if it was just described as police and minor, you might draw a conclusion that in this case is not true. Yeah, thanks for saying that, Q, because you know, not all these stories end in death. The ones that do, unfortunately get sensationalized, and we have to talk about those more because death is obviously a much bigger issue than the beating of black people and trauma against black bodies. But when you are a father the way Q is a father, the way I am a father, and when you are a mother the way Maggie is a mother, and when we have to put these show together, the show together for you, and we look at it and we have to think, Okay, this is the world that we live in and we're raising our children, and it hits different. It's enough to make you cry. I don't have this child's name because he's a child. I don't know what he looks like except that he has brown skin. Because his face is blurred out in the press. Conference that we were able to watch, But basically he was with his friends. They were riding ATVs. This took place in Placamin's Parish in New Orleans, Louisiana, and they're riding their ATVs. As you know, ATVs are loud. They're not subject to like muffler laws and that sort of stuff. So I would guess that the noise and the ruckus and the fun in the air caused some folks to call the police or otherwise attracted the attention of the police. And there's a lot of states you're not allowed to ride ATVs in normal traffic, So just being on the road on an ATV, would you know, Garner the attention of sure law enforcement. Absolutely, You're absolutely right. And I don't know that because I don't know the story before it. But I have to tell myself a version of the story that I have to tell myself something that led up to it. What was the worst case scenario and what was the likely that led to this outcome? You know, I have these thought experiments I run, but you know, I don't imagine anybody would have as much fun riding an ATV on the street as they would riding it off road where there's jumps and bumps and dips, you know, stuff to like kind of engage you in the writing process a bit more. But to your point, they were riding on the road at a point when we saw the videos. Now, these guys were riding the ATVs. Police show up and they try to apprehend them, and you know, everybody kind of scatters goes their way. I believe there was four rider or something like that. The youngest is the twelve year old that we're going to be talking about today. And you know, he said that he didn't even know at first that they were there for him. He was just trying to get out of their way or whatever, because he didn't know that he was doing anything wrong. You know, it's just often the case when you're twelve and you haven't been made privy to like you haven't been made aware of all the laws that exists, which, by the way, there are about ten thousand laws. You should never talk to the police be cuzone criminature on something. Anyway, I'll read. This comes from the Thompson Justice Institute, as comes from a press release. The family of a minor child would demand the immediate termination of the Placamin's Parish Sheriff's officers who violated the constitutional rights of their minor son in New Orleans, Louisiana, August twenty four. Human and civil rights attorney Ryan K. Thompson and Jessica Hawkins have been retained by the family of the twelve year old who can be seen being beaten by two Placuamin's Parish Sheriff's deputies. Family of a twelve year old juvenile, representative doctor A shan To Wyatt and their attorneys are calling for the immediate termination of the officers and dash camera footage from February nineteenth, Sergeant Dougas can be seen using excessive force against a non resisting twelve year old when he snatches the juvenile off his stop dirt bike and violently slams him to the ground. Subsequently, Sergeant Francis is seen violently kicking and stomping on the minor, while Sergeant Dougus is seen seen kneeling atop the twelve year old. Now, I'm gonna stop right here for a second because you're hearing us read this, but we want to share with you what the actual child said in the way that he recalled the event, So Maggie, can you find that out for us?
Speaker 3: I've dancey Niclebe's also does turn around and I'm looking back. I'm like, is the area chafing bodil? I'm trying to out is he to me? But then once I figured out that in the nation are trying to pursue me, that's when the regular life actually does it. That's when the cop came in front of me and cut me off. So that's why we're doing it to the left side, the right side of the train. I turned the bikeo and then he can. He jumped out of the car and ran up to me and pulled me off the bike. I was on the ground with the bike on me with a very hot bike.
Speaker 1: At that point in the video, you can see the officer pull them off of the ATV and slam them onto the ground, you know. And then you see another officer run toward this dash cam video that we saw and he like winds his leg back and then he kicks this child. And then the next move maneuver he does is like kind of a stamp, like a stomp onto the child. Right, And so this is why these people are talking about excessive force. This is a video that you don't have to watch. It's a little bit more mild because you don't actually see you see the officer, you don't see the child, you don't see the harm. But you don't have to watch this video because if you have children, you're going to feel this one. And there's something that we need to let you know about, and that is that the officer that runs up and kicks the child is himself black. The reason that's important is because you know, there are people that listen to our show and they think that we are unfair to police because police are often white, and in their minds the criminals are often black, right, And that is not the case, And we make that point very often on the show. Police as it is done in this country is extreme. Almost invariably, these people have been these officers have been sort of empowered, and we the people have been indoctrinated to allow them to be judge, jury and executioner. They're blameless, they do nothing wrong and anything that happened is the result of the person who is being apprehended, even if in fact they're innocent. You know, Q and you know Maggie that the amount of people on the right, that tried to blame Breonna Taylor for her own death while she was asleep. That's one side in her own house. Yeah, you know this, that they will figure out a way to blame you for dying, for being killed being killed, Thank you. That's important to say it that way. And no one on that side really stops and says, you know what, maybe they should have taken a moment or maybe that force wasn't Listen if I pull over on an ATV and I turn it off and I'm sitting there, Okay, do I need to be tackled, yanked off of my motorcycle, kicked, you know whatever. And one of the things that we talk about a lot on the show is how officers often yell stop resisting to insinuate that the person that they're apprehending is somehow resisting so that they can inflict further damage on that human. And you know, if it ever, if there's ever anything that's like an investigation launched into it, they will be on record on video, et cetera, having yelled out stop resisting, and then all is right with the world. Well, the jury of the judge, whoever has an opinion on it, will say well, clearly he wouldn't yell out stop resisting if the individual wasn't resisting, and they'll completely ignore the person screaming I'm not resisting. That's why I pulled over it. That's why I'm sitting here and the video of the person not resisting right now. Black officers can also be a part of a white supremacist system. Black people can be a part of that. White supremacist doesn't mean perpetuated only by white people. It means it is a system designed to benefit white people. And we know that historically there have been lots of non white folks that have benefited from white supremacist systems that ultimately benefit a richer, more powerful, oftentimes white male. At the end of the day, that's if you follow the money, it stops there. That's where the buck stops, right, So I forgive the language.
Speaker 3: I like this.
Speaker 1: Video showing a black officer doing this because it suggests that this is a much bigger problem than black and white. This is a maybe not bigger problem, but the nature of the problem is is not just black and white. The nature of the problem is the way black people are regarded in this country. And you know, we keep saying it over and over again. We're talking about policing, we're talking about the criminal justice system. Now I do need to read a little bit more, but first I want to kind of paint a little bit of picture here. So I'll ask you a couple of questions to you. Is it the case that sometimes children get involved in mischief almost constantly?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Cool? All right? Twelve years old?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 1: I wish when I was twelve I had an ATV man out of Revenant, because that would have been cool and riding it everywhere and kicking up mud and all that sort of stuff. That doesn't mean that I deserve to get my head kicked, you know, by a police officer and arrested and all this sort of stuff. You could just tell me not to do that anymore at twelve years old, Yeah, and be a police officer, and guess what I'm not going to do. It's not like I'm like, you know, I'm you know what I mean that I'm not going to let go against the police or any authority, you know, figure in my life at twelve. My teacher could say that, my neighbor could say it, and I would just stop, you know what I mean? But I just wanted to establish that mischief. Right, It's not the worst thing in the world. That's a part of growing up.
Speaker 3: We know that.
Speaker 1: But police oftentimes are interactions with people. It's like this person that has caused some sort of infraction is a hardened criminal worthy of the worst prison sentence ever, and we need to approach them accordingly because if we don't, they're going to kill everybody else, including me. I wish it was that though. Go ahead, you I know what you're going to say, so say it right. Yeah, I wish it was that.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: We've seen officers arrive on the scene where the person was a hardened criminal that had just murdered people. Say it, but they were white. So they were respectfully apprehended in some cases even taken and fed Burger king. That's the biggest slap in the face to be just when they arrived and the suspect looks like us. Then they have to be taught some extra lesson. Yeah, they have to be humiliated in some way beyond just being apprehended and arrest is sure real quick. I want to make sure that we say this the right way. There was a young man. We won't say his name this time. But I do know his name. Went into a church some years back, shot nine black church, shot nine people as they were praying and cultivating their relationship with the Lord. Nine people died in the church, and the police arrested the young man and then took him to Burger King. And that's what I meant when I said, that's the biggest slap in the face to black people, because that man is alive and well somewhere. He had his day in court. He's able to still breathe, and you know, went in unharmed and was shot, wasn't stomped out, wasn't concussed, wasn't punched in the face. That that's hurtful, all right. I also want to say that as the police were chasing this young man, uh, this boy, I can call him a boy. You can't. I can call him a boy. Now you can call him boy. Q. I meant you, the listener, don't please do not refer to any black person male as boy. It is. There's there's some roots there, there's some history there that you may not know about. And that's that'll be a topic on the show soon. Yeah, we have to talk about that. The boy is adjacent to the N word. You have to just I'm just a fun fact titbit.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It's the most respectful way that you can be. They used to not they used to not call us men because we weren't equal to white men. And so the word boy is particularly offensive to black people. A lot of folks don't know that. So anyway, as they were chasing this boy on his ATV, it was almost like the police officers are like in a video game or like it was like they were rustling cattle or something like. It was crazy because it's like, wooh, smoke him. Smoke And the child heard them say that, and he's like, oh, as as you can imagine, you know, smoke him.
Speaker 2: What did I do?
Speaker 1: Smoke him?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: So I need to make sure that that's established as well. And then I want to read this real quick, and then I'm going to toss to you for your thoughts. You so. Additionally, the family seeks a full investigation into Sergeant Francis, Sergeant Dougas, and the other parish Sheriff's officers who responded to the February nineteen, twenty twenty two event. The dangerous maneuvers deployed by those Sheriff's officers that evening endangered the life of the minor child and ultimately left him with the concussion and a fractured left tibia. Further, the tactics deployed in the video are extremely similar to those being used by the officers in the reckless pursuit of teens Reginald Hamilton and Cody Blanchard, which took place three months later on May thirtieth, twenty twenty two. Same Sheriff's department. So what it says? Yep, wow, same department. So que you have a black son, Yes, I do, a beautiful, kind, brilliant black son. He might think one of these things is cool. Huh oh, he's absolutely gonna think the ATVs are cool, Like, yeah, absolutely, Or he might want to just go play outside and breathe in fresh air and run and experience the world as children do. You're familiar with the name Tamiya Rice I am Unfortunately you know. If you don't know that name, make sure you're in the right head space before you look that one up, because that's a heavy one. Yeah. My kid has a water blaster, he calls it, So imagine that, right, No, son, I need you to play with that in the in the back because who knows, even though it's blue and orange and green, who knows?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: The thing is is that? And this is another thing. Just to bear in mind, things happen, Tragedies happen, mistakes happen. I think that on some level we all collectively are comfortable with the logic of that. Collectively, not individually. If you lose your baby, you might that logic might not hold up in your life, okay, and I will see that entirely. But collectively, as a society we can say mistakes happen. Typically, when accidents happen, mistakes happen, there's some degree of accountability, and oftentimes we do not see accountability when the person is black. We were talking about environmental racism and how did I describe the response was a low effort or mediocre or some sort of respect. I forgot the word. I use black lackluster. Thank you, blackluster response as if black life has no worth and again best less worth at best less worth, thank you. And so now you start to understand why the Black Panthers existed. Now you understand why we have to affirm the black lives matter. Now you understand why show like Civic Sipher exists to educate you, our allies, our friends, the people that love us, and we love you too, and hopefully we can help change the culture and change the narrative a bit. So yeah, moving on, It's time for the Way Black History Fact. So this week's Way Black History Fact is sponsored by Hip Hop Wepy magazine and it comes via Chicago Race Riot dot Org, the Chicago Race Riot of nineteen nineteen Commemoration Project and I'll read. On Sunday, July twenty seventh, nineteen nineteen, an unusually hot summer day, black seventeen year old Eugene Williams and four of his friends took a homemade wooden wrapped out onto Lake Michigan on the South Side. They pushed off from twenty sixth Street Beach, the only beach in the city reserve for black beach govers and swimmers. Although there was no legal segregation in Chicago, de facto segregation was common, including a long lake front. While in the water, the boys unintentionally floated across an invisible boundary line demarking a whites only part of the lake, as well as the beach at twenty ninth Street at twenty nine Street. George Stoberr, a twenty four year old white man, hurled stones at the five black boys until Williams ultimately drowned. White police officer at the scene, Daniel Callaghan, refused to take Stabbur into custody, nor would Callahan let a black police officer do so. Subsequently, a crowd of black and white Chicagoans gathered in protest near the beach. Police reinforcements masked at the scene, but confronted the black crowd rather than investigating William's murder. As police acted more aggressively toward the crowd, a black man named James Crawford fired a gun at the officers. Police returned fire and killed Crawford. As word and rumors spread, the city erupted in racial violence. Much of the rioting took place on the South Side Sorry about That, and in nearbly nearby white ethnic neighborhoods like Back of the Yards and Bridgeport. The violence also spread northward to the downtown Loop area as well as near West Side. White males, especially members of youth gangs and so called athletic clubs, loaded into automobiles and sped through black neighborhoods firing indiscriminately at African Americans and their homes. Some of these gangs also set fire to tenement buildings inhabited by Eastern European immigrants. In order to stoke further tensions between working class white communities and black Chicagoans, white mobs pulled African Americans from street cars and attacked individuals walking to and from work, severely beating and on several occasions, killing their victims. As whites attacked, however, black people and in particular World War One veterans, fought back in unprecedented numbers by returning fire or otherwise engaging in self defense. Street level expression of the growing race consciousness catching fire across the county sorry country that summer. In Chicago, the National Guard was finally called in to call the violence and to bring much needed provisions into the besieged Black Belt, but eventually a steady rain proved most effective and restoring peace. Over the course of one week, thirty eight people were killed, twenty three black and fifteen white, and some five hundred and thirty seven Chicagoans were injured. Two thirds of those injured were black, and yet African Americans also made up two thirds of the one hundred and thirty eight persons indicted for riot related crimes by the State's Attorney Attorney's Office. Ultimately, the Chicago Police Department and the State's Attorney's Office overwhelmingly blamed black resistance for the violence and largely ignored or defended white perpetrators. The devastation wrought by the nineteen nineteen Chicago race riot was terrible, and so was the aftermath, along with the riot's subsequent expulsion from official memory. Not only they had hundreds been killed and injured, large swaths of property and working class black and white neighborhoods on Chicago's South Side had been destroyed. One thousand black families were left homeless. Some major employers, like the stockyards, temporarily closed during the riot, leaving many workers without work or access to backpay. When the meatpacking plants reopened, some plant owners banned African Americans from returning to their jobs for fear of further clashes with white workers, which exacerbated the unemployment crisis. Civic leaders also lacked the funds and the will to prosecute most rioters. Only a handful whatever tried or saw any prison time. Most of those prosecuted were black. They were just twenty one total indictments white men. Oh sorry, seventeen black and four white, and five total convictions three black and two white. Law enforcement and local elected officials shielded white men who committed most of the riot's violence. Many South Side white powles politicians sponsored local athletic clubs or youth gangs that ultimately were found to have instigated much of the violence. Future Mayor Richard Gaily later became president of Bridge Force Hamburg Athletic Club, one of the clubs implicated in the riot, though he never confirmed or denied personal participation in the violence. Ultimately, some of Chicago's white political and economic elites dismissed the riot as the work of the city's lower class elements, both white and black, who they claimed lacked education and morality. Almost done, it was in the best interest of decent people, they argued, to separate these whites and blacks to avoid future trouble. Such conclusions paid the way for racist policies like the implementation of racially restrictive covenants and redlining, which prevented black Chicagoans from buying homes in certain neighborhoods. In August of nineteen nineteen, Illinois Governor Frank Loden called for an investigation of black life and race relations in the city of Chicago. The resulting twelve person Chicago Commission on Race Relations was made up of prominent black and whit chicag buglins and represented an extraordinary effort at interracial collaboration, research, and resolution. African American sociologist Charles Charles S. Johnson carried out most of the research and last but not least, the resultant six hundred plus page report published in nineteen twenty two, entitled The Negro in Chicago, A Study of Race Relations and a Race Riot, remains a landmark of sociology that covered the great migration, housing, employment, and social life for African Americans in Chicago, the causes in the aftermath of the riot, and surveys on public opinion regarding the city's poke race problem. The report extensively detailed the Commission's findings of systemic racism in housing and employment policy, and the commissioners ultimately provided recommendations to remedy these problems. Many of their prescriptions would have been required active support and participation from the Chicago Police Department, state's attorney and local politicians, all of whom the commissioners charged with exacerbating the violence of the riot or failing to apprehend white perpetrators. The report's reasonable recommendations went unheare a century later, many of them appear shockingly relevant and still needed. Who So, yeah, America, this is America did play that childish Gambino song. You know, we're on the radio in Chicago. That would be w lt L eighty eight point fun eighty eight point one. So shout out to w lt OL. We appreciate you carrying the show. And if you're listening to us in Chicago, now you got a little bit more history that you may not have known about. Yeah, shout out to my family and them in Chicago. Mine too, Southside and Wentworth there you go, wow wow hone itssolutely uh and shout out to the oh because you know Little Dirt and King Von and anyway, Yeah, this heavy stuff man, heavy show. I think that's kind of part of the course around here though, so unfortunately it is. Yes, indeed, well anyway that's going to do it for us here on Civic Cipher. Once again, I'm your host, Rams this Jah, I am this week and probably for the remainder of this year at least q Woard Yes indeed, show produced as always by our producer Maggie b Noan She do indeed and do us paper at the website Civiccipher dot com. And uh, if you caught just the tail into this on the radio, download our podcast and share it with your friends and follow us on social media. We are at Civic Cipher. Donate our cash app is at Civic Cipher and so is our Venmo and all the rest of that our Patreon, all that sort of stuff, and then talk to us, you know, let us know if you have any ideas anything that you want us talk about, any feedback, you know, all that sort of stuff for growing with your support, and we will continue to do so. If nothing else, we appreciate your listening. So thank you for that much. All right until next week, y'all? Peace correct, y'all?
Speaker 2: Like yo, we hand the lab these brothers a fabulous it's our lady showing you where Vron traveled this world. Speak tone from sunlight to whole, busting on stage like gonna fights, support, roll my mic back.
Speaker 3: You're like that.
Speaker 2: Journalists with journalists too, we can strike back horb Borders with orders from head Borders behind in the beline.
Speaker 1: Side set up in the borders with press passage.
Speaker 2: We bring it to you as it happens the streets, love pop from municip You wrapping the street compland the Slash week expando. You're gonna fight the.
Speaker 1: Slander with the proper propaganda. What's happening?
Speaker 2: It's hot?
Speaker 1: You've got any questions to ask?
Speaker 2: If Deduce is just a TV show you're passing? And this from a quiet wartime journalist Headlines we Go, Previews and three