Speaker 1: Native lampod is a production of Iurheart Radio in partnership with Reason Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 3: Welcome, Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 4: I am really excited about the fact that we had a great pod this week, and I wish we could have Reverend Bryant with us just often.
Speaker 3: I mean, his intellect, his wisdom.
Speaker 4: I really hope he takes it to heart to pray for us, to keep us in our prayers, in his prayers. He's just a man who just means so much, and it was awesome to have him on, even unplanned or without much coincidence. As we talked about the death of Reverend Jesse Jackson, and one of the things that we wanted to talk about on this mini pod is thinking about Jesse Jackson in eighty four and eighty eight. One of the things that I said, you know, back when we were going through twenty twenty four and I wanted to oppose it to the group is this was an amazing time or moment for a Jesse Jackson type of candidate, and one of those candidates who had the ability to reach across cultural divides, could speak to poor folk from Appalatia all the poor folks in the projects in Chicago, and so Angela in the show one talked about the fact that you know, it's time for nation building, and also whether or not Reverend Jackson would be able to see us turn that corner. And so my question that I wanted to pose to you all in the audience who are watching, and to my friends and partners in crime, is what are we looking for as someone to carry the torch as we turn that page, as we turn the corner, hopefully from some of our darker days in this country's history. And we can talk about names, but I think this far out we probably want to just talk about characteristics, almost build a candidate, maybe mentioned some people who fall in certain categories of what we're looking like. I would love for eighty eight, not eighty four Jesse, but eighty eight Jesse to be running right now, but he ain't. So what do we what are we looking like when we're talking about candidates? Andrew Angela, I want to throw that to y'all when.
Speaker 1: We get to names. I'm gonna do that part because I'm here for the tea, Andrew, I.
Speaker 5: Want to hear.
Speaker 3: Name that easy.
Speaker 1: No, No, I'm still going to share characteristics. But I'm just saying, since he don't want to do it, I will.
Speaker 2: I think we need a fighter. I was listening to President Obama sort of reflect on the comments, or rather the question of how he and Michelle sort of responded to the Trump meme and nape some all that kind of stuff. And as I listened to it, it was, you know, very it was very nice and diplomatic, and I sort of felt like, but at this moment, we kind of just need the spades called. If we see them, we call them. And to what benefit? Then I had to like ask myself, like, to what benefit is it to call the man out? And and and you know, returned the favor, you know, by basically saying what what the truth is about him? And I guess what would be different is if I on the listening side of it, as a regular, you know, run of the male person, to hear it come from someone as measured as Barack Obama. A real critique of this president might penetrate the ears of some people who get glazed over on the top it typically because they know it to be so out of fashion for for that, for for for for for President Obama. But then again, he's a man who is very controlled to come, very very well contained, and I kind of want a leader who is yes contained and appropriate, but also he during this time right now to call out what the what the what the what the problem is on its nose and talk very directly about what you're going to do to solve it. I don't want to have to negotiate your words to figure out it's, you know, like, what did you really mean? I want to know it, and I want to hear it real clearly, and I want It's sort of like we talked about the governor of California before, and I said, I really want someone who knows who has sunking into themselves. I don't want you to want some exploratory mission about what it is that you think and what you believe, because the stakes are too high right now. I need you to know what that is, and I need you to have some pretty concrete ideas of what you're going to do about that thing. I don't want, quite frankly, right now, the person who is going to come in and say I'm just here to bring all sides together, because I'm not sure what that means. I don't know what it equals for my rights, for my children's rights, for the future of this country. I think that way of thinking is still at this moment, is still it's just so pollyannish about the world that we have now come into. I don't think we're going back to polite society in the way that we once knew it. I think there are going to be new norms around what polites is is and how that gets formed. I don't know how you go from a US Senate hearing with Pam Bondi on the witness end, insulting you at every turn, not answering a single question answer I asked by Democrats, and then you know, you know, becoming doctor Jekyl and Hi based off of who the questioner is and whether they are of shared party with you or not, or whether they like you salute the president enough. I don't know how we go from that today to tomorrow back to a really polite exchange. I'll let me get back to you on ma and da da da da da. You know, I just maybe I'm wrong, And if I am wrong, good, then we can go back to yesteryear if you all enjoy it yesteryear. But I just think that we're at a different time, the temperature is at a different setting. And I don't want chaos and confusion. Don't get me wrong. I want I need predictability and stability and a lot of these places. But I also need the truth being told and in places where tables need to be turned and buildings need to be leveled and institutions need to be replaced or gotten rid of wholesale that there's going to be a leader who's prepared to say those things and is willing to say those things in the course of trying to get our vote and not, oh, we don't, don't ask for that, let us get there first, let us get there first, has not served us. I'm not going there anymore. And I've been one of those people who said, well, let us don't force them out on this. We know their heart. They got there and we didn't know their heart. Right, We got there and their heart wasn't what we thought it was, and they didn't have the stomach for it and they didn't have the spine for it. So I'm sort of just wholesale dismissal of the politics of polite in order to win. And I'm very much so for say a thing, do a thing. If you can't do it, tell me what you planned to do, and let's see how we can help you.
Speaker 4: Know, the politics are polite, Andrew, And I know, Angela, I just I didn't mean to interrupt you if you were about to jump in. But the politics are polite as something that has been tossed out the window. Charlemagne, our friend, always says that Democrats learned that the language of politics, the old language of politics, has been thrown out the windows since about twenty ten, and Democrats are just now learning that.
Speaker 3: Right. He loves to talk about that.
Speaker 4: But I will say that something that Jesse Jackson talked about when his criticism of Donald Trump was how he was profiteering from the White House, and that actually is one of the things that ranks highest amongst people's ill will towards the forty fifth and forty seventh president of the United States, this profiteering. And so what I would tell you is this, I think it's a combination of two things. One, we want to return to morals and ethics. I think people really want that return to morals and ethics. They are tired of the grifting, they're tired to reading about it. They see Twitter d and twitted Dim also known as Eric and Ronald Trump Junior profiting off of everything, and they're just sick and tired of that.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: But I also think to your point, there is this theme that I'm seeing come from people like we never punished the Confederates for their treasonist behavior. Hello, those are the same people who ushered in Jim Crow, right, those are the same people who storm the capitol, and now they're the same people running the country. And so there has to be this balance between, yes, we want someone of ethics character, we want somebody who is we and you know the crazy thing about it, And Nick, I'm not gonna curse. This is where I normally curse. But Nick, it reminds me about cursing earlier. Today anyway, people just don't give a good gd about what you're doing in your bedroom, or how many people you sleeping with, or what color they are, or you know, those type of things anymore. But what they do want you to do is actually carry yourself with some dignity. Stop making your subjects and verbs fight each other, Make sure that you can put together coherent sentences, represent the world with some sense of pride, have some morals and ethical ethics about yourself. Know who you are, which was the number one, and we know her, but it was the number one kind of barb at our friend Kamala Harris. You know, the people assumed she was still trying to figure it out because the people around her would never let her. Just tell you, even if it was a flub, just tell you who you are. So I think that it's a I think that you're hitting your We're kind of hitting around what that candidate looks like. And so my seguay to my seguay to Angelas. I you know, I think it's going to be a governor because I think people want to track workord of success. They don't want somebody who ain't never done nothing before and who believes their first job should be president of the United States. I see you, Stephen A. Smith, and I think that I think that probably.
Speaker 5: Even get at any era.
Speaker 4: Because I'm petty and I people. I think people that we need to listen to, or people like Jamie Pritzker. I think we need to listen to Mark Kelly. I think we need to listen to Andy Basheer. I think we need to listen to Wes Moore, I think these people have a unique story to tell, and we need to give them an opportunity to tell it.
Speaker 5: I want to start naming names to just see what you all think.
Speaker 1: I know, but I want to do it slightly different. I would love for us to consider things that these folks would need to work on to be a serious contender. And I think there are no better strategists in this way than these two amazing candidates who have a track record of winning yourselves.
Speaker 5: So let's start with Bernie Sanders. What does he need to do?
Speaker 3: Keep doing what he's doing. Yeah, not run, like.
Speaker 5: Say, retire is probably.
Speaker 1: Best, Okay? And then how about I don't know what. Oh, I'm hearing that Stacy Abrams is interested in running.
Speaker 5: What would you recommend she does.
Speaker 4: I don't want Stacy Abrams to lose another race. I feel like that would grossly diminish her voice and platform. I think she's extremely powerful. I think if you could replicate what Stacy did and Georgia throughout the South, with the funding and the subgrassroots level, we could change the South. But running for president, I don't believe is the next step in her voyage. I do believe there's somebody from Georgia who could do it. But I'm not necessarily sold. If we're gonna be honest on Stacy.
Speaker 1: Abrams, JB. Pritzker, Andrew, which is, what does JB. Pritzker need to do.
Speaker 3: He's gonna have to get healthier, He's gonna have to lose some weight.
Speaker 2: Go ahead and say it, he said, says it isn't this, it's that the only indicator of health, you know, but it is and a a pusha indicator. But you know, we have a super official society.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, people will derive things from you based off of how you present. And I think we need him healthy and kicking and strong, and and and and to the task. He's already demonstrated he's a fighter that he's prepared to go to the mat for what he believes in. I don't think he leaves a lot of room to question what he stands for and what he believes in. And I think that's I think that's important. I don't know about the billionaire thing, and there's nothing he can do about right not becoming us. He gave away all his family's wealth, which I'm sure is not happening. But you know, we just got rid of a billionaire, and unless he's sort of gonna comment from kind of the Mark Cuban sort of pedestrian like kind of demeanor. I just don't know. I don't know. I don't, I don't. I don't know how that's gonna land following Trump with the Democrats, then picking up a billionaire to be the man, you know, the carrier of the mantle for for for the kind of change we need.
Speaker 3: He would have to lead with ethics.
Speaker 5: Guys, I have like eight more people.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, this is mini pot too, so yeah.
Speaker 2: Many pots.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 1: AOC Alexandria Cassio Cortez. There's rumors that she might be a contender spots.
Speaker 4: I've never seen AOC campaign in the South anywhere outside of major urban areas, so I don't, I don't know. And I would like to see her in you know, beauty salons and beauty parlors and Columbia and Charleston. I want to see her small business round tables in Charlotte. I want to see her in Atlanta. I want to see her in Savannah make And I just haven't seen it.
Speaker 5: So do you do you guys feel like you've seen her at all?
Speaker 4: At all.
Speaker 1: I feel like she's been kind of muted too, Like other than the big rallies with Bernie, are you feeling like you're seeing her as much.
Speaker 2: As the media does that to you?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: You start out at this, you're a crave and then you're run of the mill. Right, they start prioritizing probably more of them shifting, and you.
Speaker 3: Know that's channel.
Speaker 4: That's my that's my issue with a lot of these progressives. I mean, like, I think I think we need to merge some of their progressive ideals with the Southern characteristics that represent the political south. Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Okay, what about Andy Basheer Governor Andy bsher He just dropped a book on faith. There's some memoirs coming out. Normally the memoirs are a good indicator of people's intentions. So following him also are Josh Shapiro and Gavin Newsom.
Speaker 5: But let's hit Andy Basheer first.
Speaker 3: Love him.
Speaker 2: He's a Southern governor, you know. I think I think he'll probably be the closest example we have will be Bill Clinton, just kind of his style and profile of a national race, and I think people I think I would probably put him in the polite politician category. And so what I'm going to want to see from him is what the fight in him is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a stylist, a little son. He needs to get some different suits, a little son. He's a handsome guy. We need to be able to see that. You know, I think that that John as.
Speaker 2: Full on John Edwards.
Speaker 4: Oh god, no, not full on John Edwards, but you know, not necessarily homely either. You want you want to look presidential, not like you from wherever. But you know, I think that I think that John asof is some somebody along that same type of demeanor who has the kind of Atlanta swag going for him. I want to see if Andy Bsher can kind of match that. This is very superficial. People are gonna be.
Speaker 3: Like, well, I love John, but this matters. I think two voters last time we.
Speaker 1: Checked, Yeah, it does matter. I mean people wanted to They always say, you.
Speaker 5: Want to know if you could have a beer with them.
Speaker 1: I don't drink beer, but like, can you just have a regular conversation? So okay, speaking of this, uh, let's go Josh Shapiro and then Gavin.
Speaker 4: I like Shapiro. I think you should get a chance. I like Shapiro and I like Basher, I like to share more.
Speaker 5: We already talked about Bashir, I know, but I'm just.
Speaker 4: Saying because of the track record of success, so I mean, I want to I don't know the man like you all know him, so I at least want to meet him. I don't like the fact he went after Karmala for absolutely no god no good reason whatsoever.
Speaker 3: I mean, who's think was responding?
Speaker 1: Though, yeah, he does think he's responding. And I hate it because before either of their books, they were very cool. I don't know what happened.
Speaker 2: The books, but I mean, I don't.
Speaker 1: Know if there's no but I'm saying I don't know if something clearly something happened before it was in print. But I just I hate that because I actually wanted Josh to be Katie H's running mate.
Speaker 2: I think we said that privately as well. I think she learned in the process of evaluating him that there were some other things there, and that's what she kind of aired out in the book, and then he felt the need to respond obviously through the book. I don't think that has removed his chances. I think it does create a little bit of a Mohil that he's going to have to, you know, just mount and set some people at ease around some of that. But it's no secret. I certainly wasn't fool that he's ambitious, and I don't necessarily consider that a bad thing. Now he might am choosing his vice president, consider it not the greatest gift to have an ambitious VP, because he'll be faced with the same kind of confrontation of an issue that Kamala was, which is, if you're my veep, are you here to help me lead govern and see my initiatives salt to the finish line? Or are you here to prepare for president by you know, stabbing me in the back potentially if it serves you. And that's an important question. That's the only choice that the president themselves or the nominee gets to make for themselves. But I think he should I think he should be considered well.
Speaker 1: There was another individual that Kamala Harris talked about in her book, and it was Mayor Pete or Secretary of Pete. She was concerned about picking him because of his sexual orientation. Was mentioned in the book, What do you What would y'all say to Secretary of Pete who now is a podcaster killing it in the podcast space.
Speaker 4: By the way, I love Pete. I think Pete is probably the most talented of the entire bunch in terms of oratory, the ability to think through policy ideals, the way that he connects. The question remains, is the country going to elect a gay president of the United States? I hope we are that far. I think Pete needs to get a great look like everyone else.
Speaker 2: I think he I think the things that probably he can do to reduce an emphasis on his personal private life. It does tend to blur more the personal private when you're trying to become president, because the whole family has to be taken into consideration, and what that looks like has to be put in you know, people's the picture, the picture frame of their mind that I can see this and embrace this as the representative image of my country and who who I am, and so people will have to come in terms of that. But I do think there's a way for the emphasis on it to be, you know, to be to be made lessoned. The I don't know all about unfortunately, what is what his checklist of winds was as Secretary of Transportation. But I do know, you know, prior to that, his last publicly held position was as a mayor, and there are many of us in the municipal space had our set of critiques about you know, his service and that capacity. Like I said, Secretary of Transportation, I thought that he was good at holding the airliners accountable. You know, we got a lot of the graces that we have today and a lot of the justice in the system around you know, giving us our money back when you don't fly this plane. And if I got a change with delays, don't charge me two hundred dollars to make that change it, you know. So I appreciated that, and there was a real consumer focus. I hope that if he runs that he's able to can ten. You decided to bring that very pedestrian lens to the office, Like what what is keeping me up at night? What bothers me? What vexes me that I may not give voice to, but every time it happens, I'm pissed off? Well for me, that's that's that's that's that's like hit me over the head for everything you charged me for the water and the cookies and the seat and the middle seat Andrews show.
Speaker 5: Because Andrew then went on.
Speaker 1: I know what.
Speaker 5: Candidates.
Speaker 1: He's in tune with your high costant cookies on the plane all right now. The next one is speaking of pedestrian. He's become a lot more approachable recently. When the Trump administration tried to come after his credentials in the military after just simply doing a video saying you should not follow unlawful orders. They tried to get him charged that they weren't successful. No weapon for it against Mark Kelly did prosper But would he win in twenty twenty eight? What would he need to do?
Speaker 5: Y'all?
Speaker 4: I think he's a great candidate. He was on the short list one of the final three before to be vice president. It was Pete Footage, the final four Peae Bootage, Jos Shapiro, Tim Walls, and Mark Kelly.
Speaker 5: Tim Walls was on there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know I can see it too. Please tell me kind of see no kind of.
Speaker 5: Because he's not on this list and I'm asking you.
Speaker 3: Do no harm type deal, get no vote, That's exactly. But anyway, he went my choice. I like Mark Kelly out of all of them.
Speaker 4: I think his back Mary was your choice, Okay. I told him that anybody who would listen I told him that.
Speaker 2: Marking more now, but as he's through the fire, because I think you do get for him through the fire and his now that he has been under attack, I think his spine is stiffened and he's filling out a little bit more. You know, you get a suit and you just can fill it out. He's filling out his He's filling it out a little bit more. And I'm liking him standing more past Like yeah.
Speaker 1: Interesting, Yeah, I hear that a g I agree with you on that. Okay, what about let me ask y'all a long shot one? And she said herself is a long shot one. Y'all know where I'm going.
Speaker 5: No, when we go, when they.
Speaker 4: Go, well alone, way.
Speaker 5: Talk about it.
Speaker 4: People love her, everybody would vote for But I even want her to go through it. I mean, they served our country, Like, let's let them. Like, I don't want to say rest in peace, but let her rest. Jesus got to pull her out there doing this.
Speaker 1: With these if let's say that, if she was going to say, you know what, it's on me to save democracy, y'all think this moment, Okay.
Speaker 3: I think she is.
Speaker 2: I think she has much more shaped for this moment than than probably any of the names that we've discussed up to this point. And she's never been a policymaker. I just think the clarity of her mind.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the brilliance.
Speaker 2: The oh, the oh.
Speaker 1: Nick told me to tell everybody they don't know who when when they go low, we go high.
Speaker 5: As we're talking about.
Speaker 2: Former First Lady Forever First.
Speaker 5: Michelle Obama Robinson Obama.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I like the more Robinson in her as right, I love.
Speaker 4: South Side, But but the Obama cannot be discounted because of the fact that for eight years, when you were somebody's wife watching them do the job, you actually gain a whole lot of experience from that. I'm not saying that she was making she was doing a job, She was doing the whole yet just watching.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she wasn't just watching.
Speaker 4: But I'm just saying, so she has more experience than people because people are gonna be like but I can already see how people's mindset. They'll be like, Maka, you just said five minutes ago that your first job shouldn't be president of the United States, and when I'm trying to one.
Speaker 5: Before she was a partner in a law firm.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but but me an.
Speaker 5: When we all vote, she still got when we all vote.
Speaker 3: Now, I hear you.
Speaker 1: She's so good that Milania Trump had to copy her speech and was like when I was growing up in the South side of Chicago. All right, so what about let's go to Gavin.
Speaker 3: I don't like him.
Speaker 4: I just think that Gavin Gavin is a fighter, but Gavin Gavin has to be able. Let me not say I don't like him. I think Gavin has a hard time displaying the humility. I think that there is a line between the fighter that we want and the humility we need.
Speaker 1: Can I ask you guys one question that has really been bothering me. I don't particularly care for Gavin either, based on what I've learned about him trying to get an open convention to undo what would have been, you know, Kamala's nomination after being on the ticket with Joe Biden.
Speaker 5: So I don't care for him for that.
Speaker 1: I would still love for him to come on our show and talk to us about what sets him apart.
Speaker 5: But I.
Speaker 1: I just take issue with some of the things that he's done. And anyway, this is my biggest question. Does it bother y'all at all that him and Donald Trump Junior could like the same woman.
Speaker 2: Well, she was a totally different woman then.
Speaker 3: Woman. Yeah, I mean this.
Speaker 5: Is this is she looked ideals the same.
Speaker 3: This was three or four surgeries ago.
Speaker 4: I mean, people, you get a woman, a woman get a b BL she get a new I mean.
Speaker 5: Your mouth.
Speaker 1: But I'm just saying no, seriously, y'all have never wondered, like, how could they actually like the same woman, because.
Speaker 2: I think, guys, could I mean, I think, just yeah.
Speaker 1: Completely different political different is the political body.
Speaker 2: But first of all, she didn't have a different political ideology. Then she was a liberal. Yeah she probably does this, Yeah maybe, but but she's an opportunityst more than anything.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't, I'm not. There are a lot of reasons that judge Gavin One. Okay, I don't not like him. I want to know more about it.
Speaker 5: I don't like him.
Speaker 2: No, I don't not because I feel like it's I certainly can't say I love him or like him for this this thing. I like him a lot more thanks to the fight that he has mounted. I agree with that against Donald Trump. I also I like the personal part of his story about him having grown up this dyslexic and having first been part of a family where yeah, I mean, this man rewrites the way he commits his his his his information to memory, his speeches, he writes them numerous times over and over and over again. He reads articles and traces letters and underlines newspaper articles as he reads. Is a discipline to him that I really respect. The poverty story that he grew up in with a father who you know, had money and resource when he was married to his mother and then decid to you know, to to to to to you know, this way working, you know, and his Gavin's mother and his father got a divorce, and so his father lives hiss greatest life with his new family and they are literally in poverty, and his mother having to figure that out and keep it together for both he and his sister, you know, as they grow up. I want more of his personal It created a beast in him, a fighting, a grit in him, and also a little bit of a chip on his shoulder that I think is very can be explained, can better explain why he does walk into a space with so much cubrius, if you will, and that the humility doesn't seem to be at appropriate portion, but in a lot of ways, understanding more about his own personal story. I get to see that, oh, this man was wearing the mask and in a lot of ways he had to He had to dress the part before he was ever going to be the part. And I get that to stand that and if if he could unvelop more of his what has made him himself, rather than this podcast where he is attempting to reinvent himself before our very eyes, I think that doesn't serve him well. I think he would be better served by deepening into his own personal story, getting some you know some how do you call that helping himself to meet himself? And I think that will bring just a different level of I think it takes him to the stratosphere.
Speaker 5: Okay, we got two more. Can y'all guess who they are?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, no problem? Governor, first black governor if Maryland Wes Moore.
Speaker 4: I want to see authenticity. I want to see him be him, which we all know. And I don't want anyone to try to make him be BARACKU Saint Obama.
Speaker 1: Yes, including barackos Saint Obama. Please stop, mister Obama. He is Wes Moore. Carry on, go ahead, Andrew.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I just think he yes, he's got to deepen into to him and be very clear about the things he stands for and what he stands against. It is quite easy right now for the shield for our Democrats to basically say I'm for democracy, I'm against lawlessness. And I think folks got to wear masks because to me, that's boilerplate. That's that's default, that's the default position. Now we got to go beyond that. What do you believe? What do you think, what motivates that belief? What kind of lived experience bought you there? And and why do I believe you will be uncompromising in that position versus you know, everything's up for negotiation. And I don't know that that is. But I do think that what he's going to have to contend with is the impression that many may have of him, and I think a lot of that has to do with this just his newness and to public office.
Speaker 5: I like that, I like that he is a happy warrior.
Speaker 1: I love his relationship with Don I think that he has done a lot of good in like just giving us joy in this political space right now. But I agree that I want to see him be more authentic and be like, if he's going to battle Trump, I want him to do it his way and not on somebody else's terms.
Speaker 2: And battle the Republicans post Trump, who we're going to have to square up and square off with over over how we get reconciliation and how we get accountability for these Last.
Speaker 4: For none of these people and Wes morenor Gavin Newsom have to try to be Donald Trump White. I don't think people are itching for that.
Speaker 2: No, they just want to know when you're fighting, you're fighting for them.
Speaker 1: Enough for herself, Okay, well, Last is certainly loudly. She did it all in one hundred and seven days. Kamala Devi Harris, What does she need to do?
Speaker 5: What do we think?
Speaker 1: She hasn't said she's running again, But if she was going to run again, what do you think?
Speaker 3: I mean?
Speaker 4: I think if the election was to run, she wins.
Speaker 2: That's what the Poles say, and that's a result of that's a result of the name ID and in the fact more people know who she is. There is something that has to be contended with. And I don't even have the best advice around how to I think get to it. But there are people who I know and that I respect. And who are black who are still saying I don't know, I don't know who she is, what she believes, and I don't know who she is. And I think it was easy for us to dismiss that during the race and basically a little bit of a tinge of racism underneath and maybe attend to sexism underneath, and maybe this is the way to otherise and sort of make the other thing look suspicious. And I get that, and I said a lot of that because that's what I thought at the time, and I think the recurrence of that, I mean, when you hear it from loved ones who are not the political analysts, they don't look at it that way. They just have a gut thing, and their gut thing says to them this. Then I have to stop dismissing. I have to be like, okay, wait a minute, what how can we help to unvelop that. I think that's the biggest barrier. It isn't whether she can debate whether she has a belief, you know, whether she's going to fight for what it is that she believes in. There is this there's a hole, there's a big wall, and it's not being said maybe by all the people, but a lot of people are feeling it in their gut, and so if their gut is something that they can't get past the gut, they can't get past that. And I don't know that you should if you feel if your spidy senses are saying, I don't know what this object is.
Speaker 5: Wow, Okay, I sucks.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry to say.
Speaker 4: No. I mean it's she just has one question she has to answer, which is and it's a big question, and I think she has to be free to answer, which is, who are you?
Speaker 3: Tell us who you are?
Speaker 2: And you know the questions because I don't know why, I don't know anybody else.
Speaker 1: Yes, I do say, I guess, like why is her not being alimated county prosecutor the state's attorney general.
Speaker 2: That's a resume.
Speaker 5: I know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: But the reason why she occupied those roses because of who she is and her values, and she's articulated her values not once, but in two different books.
Speaker 5: I think there's a third one.
Speaker 4: I don't think that you can.
Speaker 3: I don't think that.
Speaker 5: What how how do you.
Speaker 2: Just saying I don't think I can give the advice on this because it feels so feels it's abstract, but it also there's something scuffy about telling somebody. How you tell people who you are, you gotta do it. You do it because people you haven't affect and you haven't.
Speaker 3: But I mean, I was watching.
Speaker 2: Leaves a lot to be desired by people who have watched her on television and even come into contact with her in person.
Speaker 4: Rosie Perez at this I think it was Rosie Perez at the same thing week and she was a big supporter and she said, I still don't know what she stands for and when, And to Andrew's point, like I feel like I know it. I feel like Angela just articulated she knows it. Andrew knows it. But if enough people are saying the same thing, there are a couple of things that are happening. One, it's being just continuously pummeled in our head throughout narrative, out the narrative, at the narrative, and it's taking home. But two, it also may be a question that needs to be answered. And I think I.
Speaker 1: Think, I think that she can show up guarded. We have had this conversation just candidly. She she shows up guarded in some ways.
Speaker 5: But it is how do you not show up, Guarden?
Speaker 1: When people come at you about somebody you dated twenty years ago, you know, it's like you're on a little bit of edge, like and they would never.
Speaker 5: Do that to a male candidate.
Speaker 2: So I think when she trades up the happiest in the room, you wonder why she is the happiest.
Speaker 1: Why And then that's the other thing, like why did that guys e say about how she laughs?
Speaker 2: It's not just it's not because And I want to be where you are because I was doing the election, which is these are things you are expecting of a woman, but you'd never expect. But then I have to ask myself, no, I actually make some reflections about this about certain I'm like, I like Bill Clinton because I feel like he understands how I grew up. And part of that was him unraveling and sharing his story, you know, coming from a single family, you know, a single parent household and abject poverty as well in Arkansas, and you know, there there were there were elements of the story that I really felt like I could connect with, and not just that. It then explained to me how he's on our senial hall playing the Sacks.
Speaker 4: It's the same thing with Jesse Jackan Jesse. Jesse's story. As we talked about he began to articulate the fact that he was raised by a sixteen year old unweed mother and his father grew up next to him and how that spurred him out and you know, his missteps and this that and the third I think that there are I mean, there are questions that people ask that people don't know the answer to, like talk about the relationship with you and your sister and how great that is and why that is the way that it is, and you know your upbringing with your mother that you that you do. But then the question is asked, all right, well tell me about your father, right, and then there is a guard this placed up.
Speaker 3: Nobody that's true, nobody.
Speaker 4: Can answer the question. And then it's like men, yeah, and then black men are like, all right.
Speaker 3: So explain that to me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, that's fair.
Speaker 4: And then you're like, and it's just a question. It's not a condemnation, and it's doesn't come from a bad place from a lot of people. It just comes out of a level of curiosity, which then breeds distrust. And then it's like you talk about the cycle of people you dated. I know that you nobody should be asked the question.
Speaker 3: But tell it.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know a lot. The one of the best parts about this show is that we really don't have secrets.
Speaker 3: From people, Like we come on and people are just like even.
Speaker 5: Our business.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean so.
Speaker 1: Anyway, point, I just I just I just want people. I do want people to see the side of her that we've all gotten to seek privately.
Speaker 5: And I do think that there are moments for that.
Speaker 1: But I also think, don't compare a black woman from from California to a white Southerner or even a black Southerner a man, like they're different. You know, we're built different. Tupac is her favorite rapper, you know what I'm saying. Like, so there there is So that's.
Speaker 2: A that's a challenging of itself that you got the largest concentration of black women are in the South, and you're now looking at a woman who does not share that.
Speaker 1: And they were all supporters because they except that they accepted her.
Speaker 5: Hask from Howard how she.
Speaker 2: Was they were, But that doesn't translate across the entirety of the community.
Speaker 3: But can we just wait, I think.
Speaker 2: The other way a lot of black women who were fidell to the fact that she was a black woman running who's still to who? Who still say I don't know who she is?
Speaker 5: But I guess all I'm saying is what, like, what else do you need to get to know from her? Do you need to know her favorite color?
Speaker 3: Angela?
Speaker 4: One of the things that that you know, and I think we have to articulate, is that we are walking into this and it hasn't been said yet.
Speaker 3: We know it's.
Speaker 4: Unfair, and yes, that's what I'm Yes, we know it's unfair. We know it's unfair. But the question that you asked from the very beginning is how does she become president of the United States? And we know that she has unfair obstacles she has to overcome, and if we want her to be successful, the question we can't just say she ain't got it. We got to say, look this, you got to go out here and tak unfair and so the person so the person coming behind you don't have to go through the same shit you.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm being unfair about Pritsker when I say he's I don't know what's the billionaire thing. These are things that were handed that's true. Came into that right, but it's still going to be a liability. It's hard to say that being a billionaire is a liability. I'm just saying. But in the United States, as the standard bear for the Democratic Party, there's some there are some questions you're going to be asked, some thresholds you will have to cross before we can consider you.
Speaker 4: All right, I got some chicken legs and I'm baking right now.
Speaker 5: Get that you ain't baking on chicken legs.
Speaker 1: But speaking of chicken legs, i'mnna let y'all's chicken legs go.
Speaker 5: We are gone. And as coming from Turkey legs over here, I have big legs. They don't belong on my body. But it is what It is. Also not fair, speaking of things that are not fair.
Speaker 1: So we have a lot of criteria that will continue to wrestle with as we get closer to the twenty twenty eight election.
Speaker 5: This for me was very insightful.
Speaker 1: I actually really appreciate this podcast with two of my favorite strategists Andrew Gillman Bacari Sellers. This has been a native lampod Mini pod. Welcome home, y'all, will see you come home Native lamppod is a production of iHeart Radio and partnership with Resent Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.