Speaker 1: Wind Down with Janet Kramer and I'm Heeart Radio podcast.
Speaker 2: Hey kat Hi.
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: Oh nothing? It was one of those I had a Friends and Neighbors I love we love that show. Oh yeah, did you finish it? I did such a good show.
Speaker 1: So good.
Speaker 2: We had a friends and neighbors moment, but like, I can't speak about it.
Speaker 1: I feel like if you had a friends and neighbors moment, we absolutely cannot speak about it.
Speaker 2: No, we can't, all fair, But is there anything you'd like to bring up?
Speaker 1: Oh? Man, you know, I had a moment this morning. I'm feeling like a bad mom. I'm feeling guilty.
Speaker 2: Oh bring it well, I hear.
Speaker 1: I got to figure out how to handle this, okay, So maybe y'all can help me. So, you know, we've been trying to figure out the whole like new what is Ramsey gonna do, like sports wise thing or whatever. And she tried out she was not she was kind of over softball, over softball, and you know, just not really progressing and then kind of getting scared of the ball. She doesn't like to admit that, so don't tell her. I told you, but like you know, she just she's getting scared of like the fast pitching and you know stuff. So she decided to go back to cheers. She had done it for like two seasons. Well truthfully two things. I'll go back to this, but truthfully, she's also a little sensitive and you know stuff like that. So but she wanted to try cheer again. I'm like, okay, let's do it. She's been working really hard, she's been doing a great job. But then let like the second practice, I look over and I'm like, why is she crying?
Speaker 2: Oh no?
Speaker 1: And I'm like, okay, And for those of you who are in like any kind of all star sport world, like, it's terrible, but it's kind of frowned upon to be like crying at practice, like they really don't like it, you know. And you know, I've done this. I've dealt with this with any and how many years since Immy was five's almost ten.
Speaker 2: Exactly, So you're probably more heightened to it as well, because you know the like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean Emmy used to get yelled at for crying like it was you know, Abby Miller style, and no, but I mean it was you know, I definitely, yeah, they definitely do not like it, you know. So I'm like oh dear Jesus, and so, like I have these moms like is she okay? And I was like, oh, she just got hurt. I'm sure she's fine, like assuming she got hurt, right, because I didn't see it whatever. I's like, yeah, I'm just not gonna look at her. It'll be fine, you know whatever. So we get done and this was last week. So then we get done and it's like, what's wrong with did you get hurt? Actually, another mom master did you get hurt? She was like no, I was fine. I was like, okay, So why were we crying? She's like, well, I just this makes me sound terrible. But she's like, I just you know, I just wasn't real confident, and so I was afraid I was going to drop her cause she's like a bass underneath and learning it. And she's like so I just like started crying. I was like, oh, okay, all right, that's fine. But in my mind I'm like really like, okay, it's fine. We got this right. So today she's right before I come here to podcast, I'm like talking to her kind of in a hurry, and I'm like, all right, like you rested up? Good for practice tonight you know, and she's like yeah, and I was like okay. I was like, we can't have any crying tonight, and she was like okay. And I was like, you know, like we really can't cry at practice just because we're not confident and really, you know, and then I laughed and I was like I really shouldn't have said that, And so I'm struggling with how to like handle it, because like they really don't want them crying and being sensitive, you know, in those moments. And I did the same thing. And then as her mom, I was kind of guilty of being like because I really don't want her to cry at practice, and then I felt terrible because then I left her and then basically I just told her like you can't cry, you know. So it's like I'm having this moment of you know, and then I look back. I'm looking back on like my childhood and being the third and everyone telling me I was a cry baby, and like so I was like, maybe I really was a cry Like maybe I was super sensitive because my girls are really sensitive and I know I am sensitive, but like this must have been what they were all talking about. I must have cried a lot, and you know, and so I'm looking at this and I'm like, how do I handle it? How do I help strengthen her to where she's not so sensitive in these moments and that she can be in these sports and not you know, because it is a detriment to just start crying at practice because you're not confident what you're doing. I can see as a coach where it's like, we can't have all the kids just break down crying in the middle of practice because they're not confident in something new that they're learning. But at the same time encouraging her that her feelings are valid and she has every right to feel those feelings, you know, and not trying to be such a hard ass mom, because I do lend myself to being that way a little bit. And yeah, so that's just where I'm at, and I'm struggling with that.
Speaker 2: Thank you for sharing.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: Do you think there's a piece of view that uh draws away from the emotion because it's uncomfortable for you too? Oh yeah, emomption is not the most comfy feeling for you, right right right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean a little bit, like her crying doesn't really bother me, Like in a normal situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what is it? Then?
Speaker 1: Honestly, a lot of it is just that I know because Emmy used to get yelled at for it, how frowned upon it is in this and I am a little bit embarrassed. I hate to admit, and like, I don't want my kid to be the kid that's crying, you know, and I don't like that is a little bit. But also I know it's not ultimately and I know it's not going to end well for her. I know that she's going to end up getting yelled at and then that's going to make her even more emotional, and that's going to make her either not want to do it or not, you know, at backfires. It makes it harder on these kids because the coaches are kind of hard on them in that sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like there's a help, Like obviously there's always a healthy balance for like everything. There was a season where it didn't happen this year, but the previous softball season year, anytime Julie would strike out, she would go and she would like start crying, and like for me and Mike, we're like, hey, like you're like keep supporting your team. You know, you can be upset but like sitting there just like full on crying. Yes, also like not it's okay to be upset that you struck out of course, right, it's maybe embarrassing for you or it doesn't feel good, that's okay, But to sit there and be crying during a game, like we got to snap out of it too, you know, like you got to like be there for your team and like support your team. And I think that's like we put it more of a you can have the feeling, but you need to support your team as opposed to like you can't cry, you know, the cry. But it's more of like a frame it as a how we did it was like a frame to like be there for your team because if she's crying, she can't support the person. That's you know what I mean. So it's like you have to almost be strong but also like have a space for like disappointment post.
Speaker 1: Right right and talk about it and like be able to like cry and talk about it later. Yeah, And I think that's that is how I will treat this situation. It's just so it sucks because in this world it's like both like I am so that when you know, I lean myself, like we can't cry right now, Like we got to get through it, we got to be tough.
Speaker 2: But that's you, right. So like here's the thing that I like struggle with, Like when I say to like what I would do is I'd be at the rink it forward a like I want to be like doing it where I'm like where I might see, Okay, maybe she's being a little lazy, but that's also where I'm she's not little me, right and I'm not like you know what I mean, like she's she's her and like that's maybe a it's not her thing and be like she's not going to be me in the sport right how? I right right gone?
Speaker 1: After it, I also had the epiphany of maybe I was this way when I was a kid, and I don't know it. Maybe that's why, you know, because I'm looking, I'm like, maybe I was just super sensitive too. When I PEO will tell you not cry, well, my kids, my kids, my brothers did all the time, and so I was like traumatized by that, and so I think that's a lot of it too. I'm like, don't cry, don't cry, you know, And I'm like, ugh, because they are very sensitive and I'm so like there's that part of me that's like, ooh, they used to call me cry babies, you know, and I'm like all the things, but I don't remember being like super sensitive then, but I know I am since you know so anyway, So it's like all of that going through my head and like her seeing her in therapy one day, like my mom told me not to cry, and I'm not allowed to cry, but I.
Speaker 2: Still feel like you hold you know that you're you have a lack of emotion in some areas that I feel like you hold more space for them with emotion than yeah, for yourself. Sure, So I do think that you do a good job of like recognizing, like I'm not as like lovey or and affectionate, you still are. You're cognizant of it and enough to like be there for your kids to like let them have that. But within the sport arena, listen, there was a kid that cried at every single game, and it's like to be that parent, I get like if that was my kid, I would also be like, oh, yeah, you know. But also you know, like even the coaches were getting like, okay, they're crying again. You don't know that, no, And like what I'm always I'm like, I wonder, what is the like even deeper rooted, you know, like like every time Jace messed up, he puts his hands up and we're always like by stopped, like being we're like, no, no, stop, don't stop doing that, but like you're okay, like yeah, you messed up, like you don't need to stop, and then put your hands up and be like no, nor okay, keep playing. You get it, you know. So I think it's just like they're coming into maybe disappointments, are not feeling good enough for.
Speaker 1: And that's so interesting and how all the kids do it differently and handle it differently, and like it's just so fascinating because again, and the sports world is just so different in that and you know, if you're having like if you're crying because you're upset about a friend or you know whatever, it's just I feel like I treat that so differently than when it's in sports, where I'm just like, come on, we got tough enough.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe they just split the difference there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know. I told her the other day, I was like, you gonna have's tough enough because she cried in softballsh kind of like she just she's just kind of.
Speaker 2: But maybe it's also like not her thing. Well that's what I saying.
Speaker 1: I did, we didn't have to do cheer. We quit softball to do cheer, and I'm like, baby, do whatever you want. But when I asked her if she was crying because I said, I actually said maybe cheers not your thing, but she was like, no, no, no, it's just because I wasn't confident and I didn't want to drop her. But I think she just tends to just go to that that place still, even though she's ten, I think she still has that like immaturity that she just still goes to that place of crying when she doesn't feel comfortable.
Speaker 2: I also think being third, like she's got big shoes to fill with Emmy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was sensitive too.
Speaker 2: She cried.
Speaker 1: I mean again, she cried too. You know, she worked really, really really hard, probably harder than Ramsey does. Not in a bad way. She just cares a whole who whole lot more. But I mean she used to we'd come off the mat when she was five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, and if we lost or we didn't do something, well, whether it was her or not, she was crying and she had a coach in her face yelling at her after to stop crying.
Speaker 2: I don't get the thing of stop crying. I don't like it, but I get I'm saying that two sides of my mouth here, because I did tell Julie to cry in that moment. Though. It's just like a, hey, I know you're upset. Like I feel like there's a better way of saying it than just like stop crying. Yeah. Yeah, it's like right now is not the time. We can feel it later, yeah, but like we gotta keep being there for the team.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I actually had words with that. We're actually friends, and I had some words with that coach because I was just like, look, we can't control her tears. That's one thing as long as she's not doing it on the mat. And because that will happen, I mean, that has happened to people, for it happened to her one time. It can't happen on the mat. But once they get off, if they're disappointed, we can't control your Can you control your tears when you're upset? Now that you know we can't control those, right.
Speaker 2: I can to do like a thing where I'm like and then I will go into another room and bawl my eyes out or whatever. But like, that's where I'm just like, if someone's telling me to stop crying, I will cry.
Speaker 1: More right exactly. Yep, It's so true. And so I do fall into that too. I'm like, stop crying and they're like, ah, yeah. So you know, I had words with that coach because I was like, look, we know now at this point, she's just going to be crying if they didn't do well afterwards, and there's nothing you or I can do about it as long as she's not doing it on the mat. But anyway, so then I saw her do that, and then I had those words with her before I left, and I could kind of see it on her face and it kind of upset her. And I had to go work and had to come here, and I was like, and it's just stuck with me since I left, and I was like, oh, I feel like a terrible mom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, you're not a terrible mom. You're a great mom. Everyone who listens knows that. But I think there is such a balance of the feelings thing like we just were possibly going to go to a different daycare. Mm hmm. I'm just gutted because we can't go to the one that we fell in love with because he has to be fully vaccinated and he's not yet. Listen, we will. I don't know what we're gonna do, but I was so upset, like because he needs he's like got half and he needs more and they've said no, and so it's just like, uh so. But one of the places that we liked that did a religious exemption or they're fine with the delayed schedule, which we are on a delayed schedule, they had a feelings box. And this is where I'm like, I struggled with it because conveniently it is very close to where we're at, and I had a hard time expressing to Alan, and once I did, like he totally we were on the same page. But there was like this box that if you have big feelings, you can go in there and sit there and be safe. I love that in retrospect, Oh, I want like kids to feel safe. And but the comment that she made after that was and there's one girl that sits in it all day. I don't think that's helpful. And again, I'm not a child psycholog. I don't know, but I also don't think I think we should lean into feelings, let them express their emotions, but not stay in it and then like have it be a crutch because there are so many things that I've learned like growing up, that I haven't done because or that I did that honestly was a disservice to me because I relied on things to as like a crutch. Mm hmm. Absolutely. And I'm like, I don't want my child sitting in a box all day thinking does that? I mean that sounds no. But I love that they talk about feelings. I'm not talking about feelings, but I'm like to go sit in there and be surround because they're They're like, you know how kids like to hide underneath tables and I'm like, mine haven't. And that's fine that I mean maybe maybe that's maybe there's a corner or I don't know. And again, I think it's so good to talk about that. They want to talk about feelings but the whole like and a girl might stay in there the whole day if they want. I'm just like, it's a little too much into feelings. So it's like I don't I want I want Roman to cry, and I also want him to brush it off too, and like if he hurts a booboo, like you know, Alan's like you're fine. I'm like, wait, that's not it either, Like we got to get sit on their level and be like, hey, buddy, I know that hurts, and like you're okay, you know, or do you need something or do you need a hug? Like a lot of times I get on his level and go do you need a hug? Or can Mommy kiss it? Or you know? Yeah, So I think it's like good to lean in, but also not to stay there too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like a good happy medium.
Speaker 2: Am I like weird for me? No?
Speaker 1: This is you know, I've never heard of this feelings box before, So I'm not trying to be judgmental or anything.
Speaker 2: We're not going to go there, We're not We're going to drive an extra twenty minutes to the one that we've been going to because we're just we don't want to get you. We'd have to get all the shots all at one time, and we're just not there yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just it would I think my hesitation on the feelings box would be and I'm not I would worry of that almost being like you said, a crutch but also an excuse for a teacher to be able to put a child in a box all day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this makes me feel's got a lot of feelings, right, you know, so I'm like, if he's being too rambunctious or to go to the box.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know this. I don't know that one makes me feel a little consciously, but I think there's a good happy medium. I think you're right. I think there's I need to not say don't cry. It's let them have that for a moment. But then we've got to, like, I don't know, we don't have to sit in those feelings, like you said all the time.
Speaker 2: We can and just going to make it on the team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I'll work on that. I'll let you.
Speaker 2: You're doing great and just completely you're so competitive too, Yeah that like and it's just like you you live for this, like and it's amazing, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I definitely have a different attitude on it with Ramsey, Yeah, because it's not I just know that it's not going to be as to your asmy is, and so it's kind of refreshing. But also I am just trying to look out for her and the fact that she is more sensitive and figuring out a way too tough en up a little bit right, and the best way to do that because we are growing up and there is reality that we can't just cry every single time, you know, So it's just that happy medium and figuring it out.
Speaker 2: Well. Listen, we've got a shake up coming. We have a new season of wind Down coming. Lots happening. You're going to get a lot more of us, how excited. So wind Down is now going to be airing on Sundays, We're airing four days a week. We're going to have some incredible guests coming up before that new season airs. We're going to have Savannah Chrisley, We've got Sasha Farber, We've got Hannah Brown, We've got another little guest that we're gonna sprinkle in there as well. But I think one of the episodes that I'm really excited about is one that I'm going to be doing. Obviously, we'll have our girl Chat still, we'll be doing headlines, we'll be doing guests, but on one of the days, we're going to be doing a podcast with you guys. So I want to hear directly from all of you. So if you find yourself needing advice, just want to vent or talk? Send a DM to our wind Down page because I want you guys to actually come on the show. One of my favorite things that actually our couples therapists. We has me and Alan listening to this podcast and you hear people talking about it and it's like I relate to so many things that they're saying. And then I'm like, as, this would be such a fun idea to have people come on because even if it's not one hundred percent of your story, you're going to find pieces of someone else's story. So we're going to get people that can call in and we can chat one on one and I'm really excited about that. So that's so fun.
Speaker 1: I can't wait.
Speaker 2: I'm really looking forward to that one.
Speaker 1: As our right, I'm so excited to listen to you give everyone advice.
Speaker 2: I'm not someone who is, you know, I love it everyone, But this is what I would say. It's gonna be so new wine Down season coming very soon, and we'll see you all next season. See you then. Bye.