Speaker 1: Hi. I'm Tiffany Oshinsky and I'm Cat Bill and this is serving pancakes with League one Volleyball, the inaugural Love season. It is finally here. Each episode will be going over the matches from the week to keep you up to date on everything League one Volleyball. Then stick around after the analysis for interviews with some amazing people in in and around the sport. But for today's episode, we're just gonna keep it simple with Cat and I recapping Week three. First off, how are you doing?
Speaker 2: Cat?
Speaker 3: I'm good. I'm good coming. We're coming from my trip to Nebraska, coming off of a win. Obviously it's on a big high, but so far, I'm good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you guys took down Go Lia.
Speaker 4: I know what this is. It was great. It was a great feeling for sure. Oh well, we're gonna get to that.
Speaker 1: That's gonna be the last game we talked about, since it was the last game of Week three. But let's start with Wednesday's game because this was another exciting slate of games this entire weekend, showcasing the parody in this league. So Wednesday, Love Houston versus Love Salt Lake. It was Salt Lake's first serve and after using the first set, they managed to come back and win the following three to take their home opener twenty two, twenty five, twenty five, fifteen, twenty six, twenty four, twenty five nineteen. So what adjustments did you see Salt Lake make after that first set to take home the win?
Speaker 3: You know, I think the season so far, we haven't had a chance to see Scalar Fields out there, so herb being out there I think during a match definitely made a difference.
Speaker 4: Skyler was pourcy record with for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well let's talk about her because she ended up getting Player of the game. She had seventeen kills on a three eighty five hitting percentage plus seven digs.
Speaker 4: In one block.
Speaker 1: Fields was absolutely flying when you watch her, I mean from the back row, she's so high crushing it. From the front row she's crushing it. She just seems unstoppable. Now, you know Skyler talk about her work ethic and how she's just able to absolutely crush it.
Speaker 3: You know, I've known Skylar since she was in high school, and obviously she was a heavy recruited athlete, especially going to Texas her first thing. She was their first two years, I think before transferring to USC and everyone says that.
Speaker 4: We look alike, you know, so I see it. She's like my little sister. I definitely see it.
Speaker 3: But being able to her from high school to college and just performing and being a great athlete going abroad she had Little Ston in Italy and came back and as well as PVF and seeing her out this week this past weekend was amazing.
Speaker 4: She really did her thing.
Speaker 1: What is it about Skyler's ability on the court to get so many kills, to find that empty space on the court.
Speaker 3: I think Skylar's out of diversity. She can play outside as well, was opposite. She's long, she's athletic. I think she reads really well as well as from the back court. Just being super athletic and using her you know, her body and get up to make high swings, I think she makes her a great athlete, especially her volleyball.
Speaker 1: I just want to give a shout out also as a honorary player of the game to Danny Druz, who is Yeah, she's from Sandy She's from Sandy Youthaw, which is not too far from Salt Lake, so she's kind of like home down here in that regard to and she she had thirteen kills, three aces, four blocks and eight digs. Danny was also amazing to watching.
Speaker 4: I love Jenny sound smiling.
Speaker 1: Well, why do you love her so much?
Speaker 2: Tell me what?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: So I had an opportunity to play with Danny and against Dana Ada in the AU season this year, and she is just a beautiful lie, honestly, just such a ray of sunshine. And honestly, Danny would never have a bad day. But I was having a bad day. But I go find her and look at her, and just she just this bright, beautiful smile, her golden brown eyes like all such in a great mood. So she's a great athlete. Playing with her was always so much fun, positive energy kind of player. And yeah, just a big ray of light for sure.
Speaker 4: Love it all.
Speaker 1: Right, Let's move to the next match, which was on Friday. It was Love Omaha's first serve and who better to face off against on opening night than Love Madison Now, although it was kind of like deja vu to last week because Omaha pulled off the win again in four sets, and this week it was twenty five, twenty twenty four, twenty six, twenty five, eighteen, twenty five, twenty three. Now your girl Germany opposite Kimberly Drevniak was nan player of the game after fourteen kills with the two ninety seven hitting percentage, three blocks and five digs. You gave her a shout out last week when she had nineteen kills against Madison. What does she doing that is just so consistent for her to be a force for Omaha.
Speaker 4: Kimberly is just such a unique hitter.
Speaker 3: You know, she has this great swing, a left arm hitter as well, and she has just so much range. Again, her positive outcome and her positive attitude in the core is also a huge like ray of sunshine.
Speaker 4: She's just such a phenomenal black ball player. She's amazing, amazing.
Speaker 1: Were there any other players from that match or anything specific when it comes to the game plan that you saw that really stood out.
Speaker 3: I'm also going your shout of Justine having a great liberro is honestly a cheat code like Justine is just absolutely amazing.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: I admired her as Wilson's playing Nebraska, and I think having some light down here on your end you feel come for as attack that to swing hard and swing hide and if you get blocked.
Speaker 4: You're gonna know the justin' gonna meet their digging.
Speaker 3: Those ball so that it was a great recovery and a great person having a team, So justin big.
Speaker 2: Shout out love it.
Speaker 1: Moving to Saturday doubleheader, we start with Love Atlanta versus Love Madison, a tough match that went to five sets, with Atlanta ultimately prevailing twenty five, twenty one, eighteen, twenty five, twenty five, seventeen, twenty twenty five, fifteen ten. It was a back and forth match that even Atlanta head coach Paulo Cocoa acknowledge, saying, you know, we played very well, sometimes we played very bad. Sometimes we were trying to get more stable. So what did Atlanta do to ultimately pull out that win?
Speaker 3: I think again, Panoy, I think she's also was player of the match. She had a snout of performance. She was everywhere again, she was taking a lot of balls, had a great passing reception for her. And I think also Tess always makes her mark when she comes in as well, and you know they're going to run an offense with everyone. So I think it was just a whole round like team kind of win for sure.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about a pianet Panoy del Libero for Atlanta. You know, she's thirty five, which I'm going to say, I'm I'm a little older than her, and she's making me want to go in. She's making me say, like, can I play pro?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: That's a secret sauce have that much experience and being at the age she is, she has played a lot of volleyball and she can see the floor really well, so it's definitely a secret weapon to be where she is in her career right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and to be that athletic and spry. I feel like, we mean, you got to be that low when the girls are hitting insane speeds, you know. I mean she's phenomenal and she was everywhere on the court too. So I mean, you mentioned Justine in the last game, how great it is have a good libero. You got Pannoy in this match too. But when you're on offense hitting at that libero, what's kind of going through your mind to try to find the holes?
Speaker 4: If you can find the holes? Yeah, the biggest thing you think about is first obviously as the block.
Speaker 3: But obviously when you're a strong attacker, you're competent in your arm swing and you're very consistent. The next problem is obviously Liberro. So you know, honestly, you want to kind of move them around a little bit. You can post some tips in every now and then and kind of catch them all balance like that kind of hope she work out, But justin picks up everything, pulling on our picks up everything all Libert's pick up everything. The Baro's in these lake and this lake is really good. So it's just difficult. It's definitely difficult.
Speaker 1: In the last match of the weekend, your team Love Austin taking down undefeated love Omaha in their house.
Speaker 4: Sorry, not too much.
Speaker 1: You won twenty five, twenty three, twenty five, twenty twenty five, fifteen, So tell me about that match. What did your team do that no other team has been able to do so far?
Speaker 3: Preparation honestly, Like, you know, it's different when you're watching video and film and you know you're in a room and trying to dicuss ideas what you can do, but it kind of just turns up a little bit different. I think when you're on the court, you know, things change and I love that, like we're able to adjust very quickly, and you know, starting the match, they had another Outsie Comen the normal a girl that never normally wouldn't play and we adjusted very well.
Speaker 4: So I think blocking.
Speaker 3: Texas volleyball was known for blocking, I think all across the country, and we have a lot of Texas players and blocking is what we do for sure, so blocking definitely was.
Speaker 4: It was lights out.
Speaker 1: Now recent Texas alum opposite Mattie Skinner was named Player of the game. She had ten kills or fifty attack percentage, two blocks. So what's Maddy like? What does she bring to the court? Coming straight from college?
Speaker 3: You know, I admire her because she's coming shit from college and then coming into this environment, this atmosphere as well. It's like playing a position she hasn't played in a while, and so her maturity is outstanding, coming in every day, working hard and asking questions and just trying to get better. So Player of the Match is definitely deserving for shit.
Speaker 1: Being on the team, you have a nice little insights to the team, the players and everything going on. So can you talk about anyone else who you were playing with in that match that really stood out as a leader.
Speaker 3: As great as Maddie was, I think Chiaka was just as great as well.
Speaker 4: Chiaka is such a great leader.
Speaker 3: I know before the match she actually kind of like set us down and was like, hey, okay, you know what, let's all give them the same page.
Speaker 4: Does anyone have any questions? It's clarifying things for people.
Speaker 3: Let's kind of like make sure we're all together and once we get out there, and just from the start of the game and going out and performing the way she did.
Speaker 4: Was amazing, you know. So it was a great night.
Speaker 3: We had some laughs, you know, Mollie hit On in the back of the head with a serve and I was losing it on the bench about that. But it was a great night. The vibes were high, energy was high. Marco was all so like, very intense and join the match.
Speaker 4: All across the board, everyone was really prepared to go. All right.
Speaker 1: Well, now that there are no more undefeated teams in League One, and you know, as I said at the start, there is so much parody, the matches are even more exciting to watch as the season progresses. Oh yes, so tough, but so fun to watch. So let's look ahead to week four. Which match are you looking forward to watching week four?
Speaker 4: So who do we have up this week?
Speaker 1: So we got Houston versus Madison. Yes, Salt Lake versus Atlanta on Friday, you guys, versus Salt Lake on Saturday, and then Omaha versus Atlanta Saturday nights.
Speaker 3: So I'm gonna say as versus Salt Lake just because we're two matchups that haven't been seen yet. You know, some of my also my friends Tory Dixon are playing on that team is also a great metal blocker, and I think we match up pretty well versus Lake.
Speaker 4: So I'm excited to see that match for sure.
Speaker 1: You know, I think I'm gonna have to give a little shout out to Omaha Atlanta on that Saturday too, so make sure you stick around and watch that one, just because they're fun to watch. But if you look at their stats, Omaha and Atlanta are the top two teams in kill percentage with Atlanta being one, in kill efficiency with Omaha being one, but then on defense the pass efficiency and good past percentage, Atlanta's number one and also I mean Omaha's number two. So it's like you got the best kill percentage, kill efficiency, the best pass efficiency, good past percentage going head to ahead.
Speaker 3: Just mean it's gonna be a lot of big kills and a lot of big blocks, So that's for sure.
Speaker 4: Up, that's going to be exciting.
Speaker 1: Well, that is it for this week. Week four begins Wednesday, January twenty ninth, with Love Madison hosting Love Houston at eight pm Eastern. Thanks for listening this week. Serving Pancakes is an iheartwomen's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Production by League one Volleyball, I'm your host Tiffany Oshinsky. My co host is kat Bell. Anya Alvarez is our senior producer. Our executive producers are Carrie Stett, Tamaradike, and Lindsay Hoffman. Our marketing lead is Jawara Parker. Sound editing and mixing by Daniel Gonzalez. Our theme music is Pancakes by Eric W.
Speaker 4: Mast Junior.
Speaker 1: Stay tuned for next week's episode, where
Speaker 4: We'll recap Week four.