Speaker 1: Ring has a new camera for your front door. There are more places to get your iPhone repaired. Why you should log into your apps every once in a while. Plus we're playing the new Harry Potter game. What's going on? I'm Rich Demiro. This is Rich on Tech, the podcast where I talk about the stuff I think you should know about happening in the tech world. Plus we're answering your tech questions. Joining me is producer Megan Welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Hello, how are you?
Speaker 3: I am doing fantastic.
Speaker 1: I do want to start with an apology though, because we had last week's show that we did from China, which was great. I mean, I thought it was really interesting the content, but the actual quality of the podcast was not up to par. And you know us, we are sicklers on quality. Oh yeah, so every I feel like every podcast we've done so far has sounded different.
Speaker 3: But that's the thing.
Speaker 1: Podcasting is still emerging, right, and you know, even though it's I was doing podcasting at Sina about fifteen years ago, but.
Speaker 3: It's still new, right. It's new to a lot of people.
Speaker 1: But I think our mistake last week was trying a new mobile setup when we went to China. We tried new microphones, we tried everything was different how we recorded the show, and if we were total pros, like with audio, we.
Speaker 3: Would find that would be fine. But we're not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so we were talking into the wrong end of the microphone. I don't know, we might have been so long story short. If you listen to the podcast, which a lot of you did, thank you. That's not our that's not our main like, we're not that's not us.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, if this one sounds really bad, we are trying new equipment again.
Speaker 2: Then we're going to be really sad.
Speaker 3: Then we'll just give up.
Speaker 1: But let's start with the story. Maybe this is the biggest story of the week. It's probably the most complicated story of the week for most people. But I do think it could have potential impact. So we've heard a lot about bitcoin, we've heard a lot about cryptocurrency. Nobody has been able to make it work in a big, meaningful way just yet. And now some people might fight me on that, but the reality is, are you using crypto?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Am I No, We're two kind of normal people.
Speaker 1: I do have okay, full disclosure, I do have twenty five dollars worth of cryptocurrency.
Speaker 4: To my name something. So it's like, you know, then I have invested.
Speaker 1: Well so, and it's funny that you call an investment because when I bought that, I did it as a test to see. I bought it through the square cash app, and it went down and down and down, and I just checked it and it actually is back up to twenty four dollars and sixty cents. So over the past like year or two, I've only lost like.
Speaker 3: Forty forty cents and it still can go up.
Speaker 1: So I'm hoping that by the time I retire, I just forget about that. And it's like, oh, no, oh, what's this? A million bucks just sitting there in crypto.
Speaker 2: I don't think it grows like that.
Speaker 3: No, probably not so uh.
Speaker 1: Facebook is basically pioneering the charge for a new type of simple global currency called Libra, and this is backed. It's interesting because they're backing it by the blockchain.
Speaker 3: Which is you know, technology for a digital currency basically.
Speaker 1: But there's a lot of companies on board here, so if anyone can make this happen, it could be Facebook. And what they would want you to do is use this cryptocurrency to it would be integrated into the Facebook App into WhatsApp into Facebook Messenger. So basically, if I owed you twenty bucks, I could pay you right through there, kind of like what you do with Venmo. But the way Venmo works is it's all backed by your checking account or your bank account or.
Speaker 3: Your credit card.
Speaker 1: Right, this would be backed by none of those things. You would basically just have this currency like it would be its own thing. So, I know, doesn't that sound complicated?
Speaker 2: So complicated, So you'd have to.
Speaker 1: Buy it somehow, and then once you buy it, that is your currency. So the idea is is that of enough people and places accept the currency, it then takes off. So think about visa MasterCard for example.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: The only reason those work they're not really a currency. They're just a way to pay right. So you still have to pay the bill with real money at the end of the month, right or you know, depending portion of the bill, right, Yeah, hopefully you're.
Speaker 3: Paying the whole thing. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But the reality is the reason why vis a master card are so like I will take it from you, you'll take it from me, whatever, or a business takes it is because it's accepted everywhere, right, and people have established that, like, Okay, these are true, these are real, like we take it. So with Libra and this whole new cryptocurrency, if enough people take it, it's like, okay, well I can use my Libra at.
Speaker 3: Starbucks exactly.
Speaker 2: Or but where I get confused is so then you would pay at the end of the month libra.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: See, that's where it gets kind of weird. It's just you just kind of keep your money in there. That's the weird thing. It's like it's just becomes your money. So yeah, and so what they're doing and there's it's also even more weird because there's another thing. It's called let's see, it's like libra, there's I don't even know if I'm saying it right.
Speaker 2: I truly want to understand how this works.
Speaker 3: So well, I'm not going to be the one to explain it. No, I know, I know understand by the way.
Speaker 2: I've had like five people try to explain it to me.
Speaker 1: And I've had when I did the crypto story, like cryptocurrency, we did like crypto one on one again like the creator Yeah, no, we had like a guy who's a good crypto guy, and I have a friend that does crypto stuff. But I still it's like you don't really understand it. It's a currency that's like kind of made out of thin air. Right now, this one will be backed by actual currency, which is making it more stable, which makes it more appealing to people. Anyway, long story short, that's what you need to know is that Facebook might take over the whole world when it comes to money. But the other companies that are on board with this, and this is why it might work. Listen to these names, MasterCard, PayPal, Stripe, Visa, eBay, Lift, Spotify, Uber.
Speaker 3: And a whole bunch of others.
Speaker 1: So what that tells me is that at the very least, you'll be able to use this currency among all those things.
Speaker 3: And if you think about those things, that's a lot.
Speaker 1: So now you can, let's say, you can use your Libra currency to pay your master Card account at the end of the month.
Speaker 3: So again, it's getting real and getting real. It's fascinating.
Speaker 1: So anyway, we'll just have to keep on kind of up to date on everything that Facebook's doing with that. It's not going to happen overnight, but it probably will happen soon.
Speaker 2: So you would use like some of your twenty five dollars.
Speaker 1: To buy a Starbucks exactly right, like I would instead of like right now that that bitcoin that I have exists inside that app, I can't do anything with it except pay other people who like use bitcoin.
Speaker 2: Got it.
Speaker 1: But let's say Starbucks I want to buy like a ten dollars gift card and they're like, oh, we accept this bitcoin.
Speaker 3: I just use it.
Speaker 1: And same thing with this new one from Facebook. It's like if I can use it to pay you back for you know whatever, like you go out and run get a coffee, I can be like, oh, here's three dollars, you know, through my app.
Speaker 2: Got it? So interesting?
Speaker 3: All right, So let's let's start with the first question.
Speaker 2: I love this next question. It's from Lily Alala and she wrote on your Facebook page, Hey, Rich, thank you for all of the useful information you provide during your segment on Katley News. I have a question. Do you have any suggestions or can you recommend a good Android app for locating or keeping track of my kids? I have twelve year old twins, they both have phones. I need peace of mind. Please let me know.
Speaker 3: Okay, And what was the name again?
Speaker 2: Lily?
Speaker 3: Lily?
Speaker 1: So this is a question I get all the time. People want to be able to track their kids. And it makes sense if they have a cell phone, you want to be able to track them. Why not, right, So there are tools that are built into iOS. And she didn't really mention what kind of phones her kids have. I feel like she would have mentioned if if they had iPhones.
Speaker 2: Movie. Yeah, but she says she has an Android.
Speaker 3: Oh, she has an Android.
Speaker 2: She set a good Android app.
Speaker 3: Oh, so there you go, she wants Android. Okay. So on iPhone, obviously they have the app called find My. They changed it. It used to be called find my iPhone. Now it's just called find My.
Speaker 1: So that would work on the iPhone side of things. But if you're a mixed family and you have like Android and you have iOS in the family, you want an app that works across both of those things. And so the app that I recommend to most people is called Life three sixty.
Speaker 3: Have you heard of this?
Speaker 1: So it's kind of the most popular one out there that basically at the bottom line kind of thing is it tracks you. You know, you sign it up on your phones and you can see where your kids are on a map. That's the basic thing. Now, that's free, But if you really want to get the most use out of it, you're gonna have to pay because what I found when I tested.
Speaker 3: It is that the free stuff.
Speaker 1: Is fine, but the location's not updated as much as you want. It's not real time, Like there's a little caveats that you after using it for like two days, you're like, this would be better if I paid for it. So with that in mind, you know, try it out, start it out, see how it works, and I think it's going to do exactly what you need. They have a lot of features in there, like I mean, there's so many features. You can get a text when your kid gets to school, you can get a text when your kid leaves school. You can get see how fast they're going on a map, Like if they're driving, you can get a crash detection. So if they crash, god forbid, you'll get it. Hopefully it's a fender bender, you'll get alert about that. So again, they've built pretty much the app that parents want to be able to track their kids. Obviously, you know your kids have to be on board because they can uninstall it or whatever.
Speaker 3: You can probably password protect it, but.
Speaker 1: Again, once you use it, so like with the free it's zero, with plus it's three dollars a month, and with driver Protect all those driver features, it's seven to ninety nine a month. So I, as a parent, small price to pay. When I'm ready to do this with my kids, I think three dollars a month is just fine. So again, like little things that they change, So place alerts with free, you only get two with the free, plus you get unlimited history. You only get two days with the free. You get thirty days with unlimited crime reports.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I don't know what that is.
Speaker 1: But again, so really it comes down to how much of the location do you get with the free versus the paid. So but Lily, that's going to do it for you Life three sixty dot com and it works on you know, various apps, iOS and Android cool. So speaking of Apple is partnering with Best Buy for expanded repair service. So in the past, if you wanted to get your iPhone repaired, you could do it at a bunch of places, but Apple likes when you do it at their place because it keeps your phone in warranty right and also if you have Apple Care, it will be included in your Apple Care price. If you go to an Apple store or one of their authorized retailers, which you know, in a city like LA, we have a lot of these little like Mac stores, right, you know, like I think there's like Melrose Mac and stuff like that. But if you live in like the middle of nowhere, you don't really have access to a lot of places, including the Apple store.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: You might have a best Buy in your city, but not an Apple store. Well, now best Buy is an official repair place for Apple. And what does that mean? Thousand Best Buys across the US will now provide expert service and repairs for Apple products.
Speaker 3: So that means if you have Apple Care, you can bring your phone in there.
Speaker 1: They'll do all the stuff under warranty, which is really nice, and it's also backed by Apple. So if there's a problem with the repair down the line, they're not like, well, where'd you bring this, You're like, oh, best Buy. They're like, sorry, we can't do anything because they've ruined your phone. Now that repair is still covered under Apple.
Speaker 4: So that's cool.
Speaker 3: It is cool, and especially you.
Speaker 1: Know, again, this is a story for the rest of the US, not Los Angeles per se, because in LA you've got a million.
Speaker 3: Apple stores there.
Speaker 1: It's like, you know, probably ten of them in like a five mile radius. But if you're in somewhere like they mentioned a couple cities Yuma, Arizona, Sioux City, Iowa, Twin Falls, Idaho, Casper, Wyoming, Bismarck, North Dakota. Those all have Best Buys, but they didn't have an Apple store. So now in those places you can easily go and get your phone fixed or any Apple product.
Speaker 3: Walman. On the subject of phones, let me talk about Walmart.
Speaker 1: They are expanding Walmart dot Com to let you fully upgrade your phone online. So before you had to do this in store. And this is not like a huge deal, but it's kind of big. Walmart is big, right, A lot of people know Walmart for better prices and a lot of times Walmart sells cell phones at a discount. So now you can do the entire upgrade process online if you have AT and T, so right now they're just starting with AT and T. But you go to Walmart dot Com, you choose your you know your plan, your device, your payment plan. They handle all that stuff just like you would if you were at the store. But you can do it online. You get the device within two days and you activate it and it's done. So why would you want to choose Walmart dot Com over AT and T or anyplace else, well they might have a better deal, Sony. You can shop around, right, So historically, if you were with AT and T, you'd probably be able to go to AT and T dot com to upgrade your phone, or you can go into a store, or you can go to best Buy. But I don't think best Buy does it online. Maybe they do, but I don't think they do. But now you can go to Walmart dot com and like just check the prices. And so what I've seen is they say phones are up to two hundred dollars less, so you could get a discount on that. They're offering the iPhone ten at three hundred dollars off, So it's five hundred dollars for the sixty four gigabyte model, which is good. That's the ten, not the ten s right. But again, so what I saw is that the price has worked out to about eight dollars a month less than if you did this straight up through AT and T. So eight bucks a month, I mean I call that free Spotify, yeah, even though Spotify is ten.
Speaker 2: Spotify free Hulu right, yeah, true?
Speaker 3: All right, Megan, you're up okay.
Speaker 2: So your next question comes from actually a top fan on Facebook. Her name is mom slogo slug o gone. Okay, okay, anyways, question on reverse phone look up. I can't seem to find a legit free have some information when looking up phone numbers. Cannot find a website where it shows if the number is a scammer or not. Can you help?
Speaker 4: Thank you?
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: So there are a lot of websites that do this, but most of them are total bogus, Like you don't want to go down those websites because what happens is you've seen it.
Speaker 3: What's the one that you mentioned earlier, Spocho, Yes, Spokyo.
Speaker 1: So there's like a whole bunch of these like Spoko and like my Life and my Way and all these.
Speaker 4: Weird like people search websites.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that generally give you just enough information, but then they're like, oh, pay fifty dollars to get more information about this person or whatever it is. And it's really like it gets you in because there is publicly available information that they scrape and they put on there, so you're like, oh, they must have it, but then it's like it's just it's not very well done. So long story short, what I would recommend, very simple is whitepages dot com. So I've been using this for a while. I used to have this app on my phone. I don't know if they still do an app or not, but I used to have it on my Android where it would just when I got a phone call, it would just show me the name, which was super easy. Now with spam and robo calls, you know, I don't know how many phone how many phone numbers you're looking up? You know, yeah, and I'd say the name Slugo or whatever it was.
Speaker 3: But it's like, you know, the White Pages.
Speaker 1: So I just did a quick search and it does have some good information on phone numbers. A lot of times, they want you to pay about two dollars and fifty cents a month for twenty lookups. So again all this information, like, I don't really know of a free place anymore to look up a phone number. You can try googling a lot of times what I do. And yeah, if it's if it's a business phone number, it's going to show up in Google.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: If it's not a business phone number, it's not going to show up, you know. But like a lot of times, and if it's a scam phone number, a lot of times it'll say like known scammer or something like that.
Speaker 3: So it really depends.
Speaker 1: But if you're looking to manually look up numbers online, I think whitepages dot com is probably going to be like the most legit place to do that. I'm trying to see who owns them at this point it's owned by I don't know who it's owned by. It's just white Pages, I guess.
Speaker 3: So anyway, good question about us. Let's see what they say. But they all do this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, White Pages was found in nineteen ninety seven, so Wow's that's like that's old for.
Speaker 2: The web, twenty two years old. Wow?
Speaker 4: All right, speaking of I always say that.
Speaker 1: Speaking of speaking of I'm not going to speak of it. But Ring has a new camera you're familiar with Ring that goes the Ring video doorbell that kind of made the first video doorbell and made that product very popular. Well, they've been adding slowly but surely a lot of different products their lineup.
Speaker 3: The latest is called.
Speaker 4: The Ring Door Ring Door View Cam.
Speaker 3: And this is a it's basically they call it what are they call it, like a peepole right on your door.
Speaker 1: This replaces the people with a camera, so it's super easy to install. No screws, no installation, no wires, no nothing. You charge this thing up, you pop out your old peopole, and you push this thing in. So the way it looks is it looks like a ring video doorbell, but a little bit smaller, with.
Speaker 3: Kind of like a pipe at the end, imagine that, or like a hollow tube that pushes through your door.
Speaker 1: So it's held onto your door on the backside with like some sort of you know, mounting or whatever. Okay, and then on the front it just sits on the front of your door flush.
Speaker 2: So you have to screw through your door well where the people.
Speaker 1: You should have an opening through your door where the people were, so you remove that and then you push this thing through your door and just attach it. So the reviewer for cnet said that it was a little flimsy feeling because you know, there is really no mounting hardware.
Speaker 3: It just kind of pops onto your door.
Speaker 1: But she said that's not really a deal breaker, although she does think that one hundred and ninety nine dollars is a little expensive for this, because it seems a little bit cheaper than their typical doorbell that you know, you put on the side of the door, that you you know, comes with a bunch of mounting screws and it's.
Speaker 3: A little bit more official.
Speaker 1: But at the same time, I love this idea because ring Ring is basically trying to put a camera on every home in America.
Speaker 3: However they can do it right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this this is really aimed at sort of apartment.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, it's for like apartments probably, and a lot of apartments.
Speaker 1: Like I'm trying to think my old apartment if we had we did have a I feel like we did have a peep hole.
Speaker 3: But I feel like it must be.
Speaker 1: A standardized size, right, because if they're selling this product, maybe it comes with some adapters and stuff, but to make it that easy to attach your door, it must just be a standardized peopole size that they drill through and like put this little mounting hardware on, Which makes sense.
Speaker 2: That's a good question for Google.
Speaker 3: Is there a standard people size?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's the deal. So the only downside of this device, according to c net, is that it's a little bit expensive, and you also have to pay three dollars a month if you want any cloud storage at all.
Speaker 3: So the way all.
Speaker 1: Ring devices work, they can live stream the video, which is fine. If someone rings your doorbell, you can view the person on your phone say hi, yes, and.
Speaker 3: No to them. But as soon as you disconnect.
Speaker 1: That call, it's like boom, that's gone. So if you want a record of anything, you have to pay.
Speaker 3: And so I pay. I think it's thirty dollars a year.
Speaker 1: Maybe I think they've raised that price because if she's saying three dollars a month, that's thirty six dollars a year. So and the reason why she really doesn't like that payment is because Apple announced that their last event that if video cameras like security cameras, enable home Kit, which is their smart home platform, you'll get ten.
Speaker 3: Days of free clip storage. So that's in ten days.
Speaker 1: Is all you really need is like two or three days, right right, Because it's like if someone came to your house and robbed it, you're not going to find out two weeks later, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Unless you're on vacation, yes, but.
Speaker 1: When you still know though, you still know you because you get an alert to your phone, unless you're on a remote vacation where you don't check your email or text messages or anything.
Speaker 2: You don't have neighbors, Yeah, pay attention.
Speaker 3: Which is probably true, like neighbors probably don't yea true true neighbors these days. I mean they're just like like they look away, right.
Speaker 2: I did. By the way, google what is the standard peep hole size? Okay, and the only thing I can find is just like the height. Okay, So it says the average height is between four and five and a half feet from the ground.
Speaker 3: Oh oh, that's weird.
Speaker 1: That's okay, I see four and five feet.
Speaker 3: No, that's standard, that's standard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you don't want it like super high.
Speaker 3: Yeah, forty three inches above the floor. That's the standard, I guess.
Speaker 1: But there must be a standard like drill size that like, you know, because if you're making peep holes, he it must be a standard piece of hardware that you know.
Speaker 3: Anyway, that makes the people, yes, that makes it stay to your sounds like people.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, okay, So next question comes from Devin. It's about Venmo sharing. So he says, I enjoy watching your segments on KTLA, and I just saw a piece on this morning show about Venmo transaction sharing. Isn't the sharing a primary component of the app. My friends and I have ours set to public because it's always been that way, and I just assumed that was part of the social aspect for the app. Typically there aren't very many details. The amount or banking info is never included. It's typically just an emoji of food or tickets and then to the person who you paid to. Are there additional details that are shared that we may not know about?
Speaker 3: All right? So you know I'm a big Venmo hater. I refuse to use Venmo. So here's the thing.
Speaker 4: I lease it all the time, I know, and everyone does.
Speaker 1: We talked about this on TV and the reason the reason the story came up that this researcher because Venmo most a majority of Venmo payments are public because by default, when you make a payment, it's public. They don't by default, when you make a payment on Venmo, it's it's the details republic.
Speaker 2: Right. Well, I always actually do I do private.
Speaker 3: Right, but you change it? But the default is public, right?
Speaker 1: But right there's when you think about a default, a lot of people don't change the default. So this researcher said, hey, look we scraped like seven thousand transactions. We found that people are paying for drugs. We found all people put things in the memo line.
Speaker 2: That they don't even pay drugs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, or maybe a drug emoji. I mean there's a lot of people.
Speaker 4: Out there right an they're drug Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, Megan, maybe you're not paying for drugs through Venmo, but some people are.
Speaker 2: Yes. I guess yeah, you obviously aren't because you don't use venmo so or drugs.
Speaker 3: So I guess that's a good thing for me. I don't. I don't have it all. Yeah, just cross it. I don't have a use for either.
Speaker 1: But but I have seen people put like little wine glasses, you know, like I because a lot of people will get drinks at a bar and they'll split the payment. You know, I'll venmo you the ten dollars for that drink or whatever. So you'd you know, a little cocktail glass or whatever, little shamps so anyway, so I little finger foods. Yeah, so pooh poop latter. So my point is I said I didn't like Venmo for a couple of reasons, and I have not used Venmo in many years, even though everyone every it always comes up whenever my wife is like, oh we got to pay this person for this at school or whatever, and I'm like, I'm not doing it. I'm not signing up for Venmo because I did sign up when when I first had my kids in school. I, of course, you know, got on the Venmo train and I noticed three things. Number one, the public aspect. I made a couple of payments and all of a sudden, more commenting on the payment. So I'm like, wait, what these are public?
Speaker 3: People can see these? Why why does anyone need to know my business?
Speaker 2: Still comments on the payment?
Speaker 3: Isn't that a thing? Mean like like them? Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like if you send it to someone, they might the person you send it to you might like it.
Speaker 3: Yeah what I'm saying, No, you can like and comment on.
Speaker 2: I never write on people I know.
Speaker 1: We're clearly you're abnormal. You're an abnormal Venmo user. So that was the number one thing I noticed. The second thing I noticed is that back in the day, and I think this has changed, you had to link your bank account and not necessarily a debit card. Right, So I'm fine with linking my debit card, although I don't necessarily I'd rather link a credit card. So it's kind of like that buffer between the payment and my bank account.
Speaker 3: Right, but a debit card is a little step closer.
Speaker 1: And my bank account number is like, no, thank you, I'm not giving that to anyone.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So that's the second thing I didn't like is that it had to interface with my bank and I didn't like that.
Speaker 3: I wanted to use my credit card. That was the second thing.
Speaker 1: Third thing was when I had a balance of Let's say I had a balance of fifty dollars and I make a payment to you of twenty five dollars for some apps. It took the payment out of my checking account once again, instead of out of my Venmo balance. I think that might be a default thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I always thought that it would. I mean that obviously happens. Still, I just don't get that, Like, why doesn't it get taken out of the current balance.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you why.
Speaker 1: Because Venmo is collecting interest on millions of users balances without them realizing that every time they make a new payment, they're collecting a new payment from your bank account. And that's the third thing I did not like about this. And so again, these are the reasons why I don't like Venmo, and these are also the reasons why I really like Square Cash, which is kind of the competitor that has never taken off, you know, Square Square Cash.
Speaker 3: I've been talking about it for years.
Speaker 2: It just cares.
Speaker 3: No one cares. They're not using it.
Speaker 2: So if I venmo someone twenty dollars from my debit card, because if I did it for my credit card, I would get charged in.
Speaker 3: You get charged a percentage, right like Venmo will.
Speaker 2: Be like twenty two or twenty one or whatever. So if I've them with someone twenty dollars, like, where my being charged interest from.
Speaker 3: My joh, They're they're getting interest. Venmo is basically like by them from.
Speaker 2: Wells Fargo or well from America.
Speaker 1: Whoever they have their account with. They're like, let's say Venmo has a million dollars in their little bank account. They're collecting interest on that money as people use their service. Now, to be fair, Venmo is losing a ton of money. There's a crazy article about how venmo is, Like it was in the Wall Street Journal. If I can find it would be so great.
Speaker 2: Wall Street Journal Venmo.
Speaker 3: Maybe I'll just google that.
Speaker 1: So Venmo has forty million users and literally they cannot turn a profit. So uh, this story, let's see Oh my gosh, it was just an insane story ads on that.
Speaker 3: Ads on venmo.
Speaker 1: Interesting Anyway, long story short, you know they I just don't like venmo, so that's it. I don't use it. I will use anything else. The thing that I do use, and I ask everyone to set it up when I need to do a payment, it's called Zell and Zell is built into your bank so there's no sign up.
Speaker 4: Use that sometimes it's like in your bank account app.
Speaker 1: It's amazing and the money goes in instantly. It Yeah, there's no like middleman.
Speaker 3: There's not. It's just done, straight up done.
Speaker 2: But so are additional details shared, like.
Speaker 1: Well, the details that are shared are no. The details that are shared.
Speaker 2: Are just what's there is that I can see is your.
Speaker 1: Name, how much you paid someone, and also what it was for Pai. No, you don't see how much you paid. You just see that you paid someone. So anyway, Uh, that's my that's my rant on venmo. So I'm not judging you. If you use it, it's fine. It's a personal preference for me. And also security thing with the whole debit card thing. Okay, speaking of security, since I always say speaking of now whenever I transition to a new story, So I'll just have to stop doing that. But this is this is fascinating and something that I think is very important and something that I've kind of known for a while, but I've never seen an actual report on it. Cyberscoop dot Com says that when you stop using an app, or you kind of let an app like dormant, you're more likely to have that app broken into.
Speaker 3: By a hacker.
Speaker 1: And this makes a ton of sense because think about it, you haven't used an app in a while. All of a sudden you get an email and it's like, oh, your account was you know, logged into. You're like, wait, what haven't used that in forever? Well, here's the reason why it's okay, let me give you the details. Number one sixty five percent accounts that experience an account take over an attack. Basically, when someone logs in with your username and password, like your legit stuff, they just figured it out they have not been Those accounts have usually not been accessed by their true owner in more than ninety days. So basically, when an account is dormant for a while, it's easier for a crook to get in, and they also steal stuff from you. So a lot of times they'll do this with like loyalty points like your you know, United points, your Southwest points, because a lot of times people don't check those all the time. Yeah, so by the time you notice that your points are gone, it's like too late. It's like, oh my gosh, what happened. It might steal money from like a.
Speaker 4: Bank account that you don't log into a lot.
Speaker 3: Stuff like that.
Speaker 1: So here's why this is a problem. So when you log into your accounts, like you log into your bank account, I'm assuming like, you know, a couple times a week, right, Yeah, well every time you do that ten times a day, Yeah, ten times a day you're waiting for those Venmo payments to clear your bank account.
Speaker 2: Takes time.
Speaker 1: So every time you log in, your bank gets a little record of which device you used to log in, where you logged in from, how you logged in, time of day.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: It builds a little kind of log of who Megan is and when she logs in and how she logs in.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: That's why when someone from Russia logs in, they go hold on, Megan's never logged in from Russia, Like, what's going on here? We know that the last thirty five times she logged in from the Hollywood area. We're gonna block that Russia log in. Well, if you don't log in for a long time, guess what happens the system exactly, it doesn't have much to go on. So if you log in from Tampa, Florida, or New Jersey or Colorado, it's like, well, we don't really know, so they just let it proceed. So, you know, obviously depending on the level of sophistication with their pro you know, with their security. So that's why you should log into your apps, you know, every you know, month or so.
Speaker 2: You're talking about banks, right or anything?
Speaker 1: Oh, I mean anything anything that could be taken over your email address, your bank, your loyalty points, any account that you have that is you you know, if you have an old Instagram account, let's say, you know, if you don't log in, these computers, these fraud detection systems don't really have much to go on. So again that's I thought that was really fascinating because it makes sense.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah. Also, let me just I.
Speaker 1: Thought this was also interesting in this article. So you always wonder how do these people break into your account? Right, Like, where do they get my password. So two common techniques for getting into people's accounts. Number one is credential stuffing. This is when scammers take the credentials that they've found online, like when services get hacked, it's like twenty five million user name and passwords were leaked online. They'll take those and they will just literally try them in as many services as possible, Like they have a a an app that will literally a program that will just automate that, and they'll try every combination in Yahoo and Google and whatever, whatever, whatep. The next one is called password spraying. This is a little bit more imprecise, and they just use scripted bots to basically test commonly used passwords against random user names. So that's not gonna work. So basically they can go through like John John Doe, John Doe one two three, and then they'll try like password one, password two, password one two three.
Speaker 3: And that's why they say them.
Speaker 1: See, this is the thing about all this security stuff. Many times it does, yeah, but not all the time. Yeah, And so a lot of times what these hackers are doing is they're praying on systems that are a little bit unsophisticated. Yeah, and so that's why I always say, you don't want to use the same password across a bunch of sites because you might use your password for Gmail, which has very sophisticated log in, you know, hacker detection, but you might use that same password at your random you know whatever account. Yeah, and next thing, you know, it's like that account is hacked, and now they just take that password and they use it at Gmail.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: That's why you don't want to use the same bad password at two different places. Because I'm not worried about Gmail getting hacked necessarily, I'm worried about the random account that you set up with, you know, Michael's flowershop dot com, and now using that same password on Gmail, and Michael's flower Shop gets hacked, and now the hackers try that password and use her name across a whole bunch of other bigger websites, and.
Speaker 3: In that case, they just have your stuff.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: So Google is going to let that go through because unless they figure out it seems suspicious.
Speaker 2: Right. That's why I love the fingerprint thing.
Speaker 3: Fingerprint's great. I mean, that's that's also good.
Speaker 1: But a lot of times she has to be backed up by your password, you know. So Instagram along these lines is testing a new way. You ever hear about people that get locked out of their Instagram accounts, like this happened to my cousin the other day. She basically sent me a text or my brother did, saying, hey, she's locked out of her account because someone just stole her stuff and now she can't get back in because they changed her email and phone number, and so now she can't get any of her recovery stuff. You know, you go on you say I need my recovery. Instagram is finally kind of getting hip to this and saying, you know what, We're gonna make it a little bit easier for you to regain access to your hacked account.
Speaker 3: So here's how they're doing it.
Speaker 1: If you put your password in a whole bunch of times and it doesn't work, and they recognize that because they notice that you're logging in from like the same phone that you normally log in from, but it's not working, they will now give you a link to basically enter the email address and phone number that you use to sign up when you are used to sign up to Instagram, so their system remembers this stuff, of course, right right, And so once you verify that, they will send a six digit code.
Speaker 3: To your phone.
Speaker 2: Okay, good like Twitter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and lets you log in basically, that's good.
Speaker 1: So again they're using sophisticated algorithms to figure out like Megan logged in twenty five times from this iPhone from this area from these IP addresses KTLA her house. All of a sudden, we at this random log in from Russia.
Speaker 2: I use Russia again, Yes, because obviously China they can't even get on.
Speaker 1: Yes, China they're not trying to. Yeah, we don't have to worry about them and know what it is. They can't even get to those IP addresses.
Speaker 3: So again Russia.
Speaker 1: They go wait a second, and then all of a sudden, this IP, this random IP account from Russia changed her password and her phone number.
Speaker 3: That's kind of weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now we see little old Megan trying to log in from Hollywood again from Okay, young Meghan, it's.
Speaker 2: Okay, little old Megan, that's fine.
Speaker 1: So logging in from her iPhone again from the same place she's normally logged into one hundred times and she can't get in. Now we're gonna throw herr bone. We're gonna give her this one time code and we're gonna say, look, go ahead, get into your account, and then they also freeze the username so that you you know, it's like because a lot of times these hackers will take you and then they'll take your username and they'll sell it them the black mark or whatever they're they're going to freeze that.
Speaker 3: I know, there's a lot that goes on, Megan, It's lot to keep up with.
Speaker 4: It's such a scary world, especially if you're on Instagram.
Speaker 2: Geez okay, So our next question comes from Vincent Reyes Apple Watch or Fitbit. I know, I feel like we talk about the Apple Watch in every podcast, but he wants to know. Basically, his wife's birthday is coming up and he's been debating if he wants to get his wife an Apple Watch or the fitbit versa. He has an Apple Watch and the battery life is what makes him dislike the purchase, and unless they made significant strides in longer battery life, he doesn't want to purchase another Apple Watch for his wife. And then he says he likes the fipbit because of the battery life, but not sure if his wife would prefer the Apple Watch. I would like your thoughts as to why lean one way or the other.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you probably know my answer. Yes, right, So I'm gonna recommend the Apple Watch. Here's why I've I've had the Fitbit Versa. I bought that and I used it for like a year, I think maybe six months a year, and I loved it because I'm a big runner. I love having that data of running. And I thought, I think when it comes to smart devices, I think the Fitbit Versa and the Apple Watch, and probably the Galaxy the new one, the Galaxy you Watch Active or whatever it's called, are probably the three best at this point. But here's why I like the Apple Watch the best. You say, your wife has an iPhone, it's going to work the best with iPhone. I am sitting here when I look at my Apple Watch, like there are little things that pop up on the screen that just amaze me. It's like, literally it kind of has learned when I work out during the day, so all of a sudden, I'll just get like a little button that says start a workout, and it's like, oh, I don't have to like go through the settings any of that stuff. Obviously, and the verse I believe does this as well. But when you start a workout, and I know that the Samsung devices do this. It automatically recognizes that. So when I start running with you know for and normally I do start the workout before I start running. But a lot of time, if you're just doing something physically active, like if you're hiking or whatever, or you're taking a long walk, all of a sudden, it will say, hey, we notice that you're doing something active.
Speaker 3: Do you want to record that workout?
Speaker 1: And it will back time so it remembers like if you hop on your bike and start taking a long bike ride, it will go back to the first minute that it noticed that you started biking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's kind of fun. I know you want one of these now, So I like that aspect.
Speaker 1: Now, the battery life is definitely the biggest downside of the Apple Watch. But what I've just gotten a customer doing is at night, before you go to sleep, you take off your Apple Watch, you put it on the charger.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: So what is the battery life to me?
Speaker 3: I don't even know, Like it's just it's a day.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's it as it ever died only when you.
Speaker 1: Do crazy exercise. So like yesterday, I didn't really do that much exercise. My battery was at ten percent right when I was going to sleep. Okay, it's just kind of weird because that doesn't normally happen. Some nights it's at like you know, I don't even look. I don't look because it doesn't matter. I use it for the day. It gets through the day. Now some people may say it gets through a day and a half, maybe two days. But what I notice if you do any sort of physical activity for like a half an hour or longer, especially an hour, that's going to drain your battery significantly because it's using the GPS and all the sensors in your watch. So it's taking your heart rate more, it's doing more GPS.
Speaker 3: That's why the battery goes.
Speaker 2: That's what about playing music and like Bluetooth, that doesn't really.
Speaker 3: Not as much.
Speaker 1: I mean it will, it will affect it, but not as much as the workouts. When your workout is on, it's firing every sensor in that phone to get the most accurate data about your workout.
Speaker 3: So that's why it's taking up the battery more.
Speaker 1: Right, So the fipbit versa, the biggest benefit is basically I think you need to ask your wife in a sly way because you don't want her to know because it's a birthday present. Just be like, is sleep tracking important to you? So that's the main advantage of the fitbit versa is two things. Number one sleep tracking. You can track your sleep and I love that data. But it's one of those things that you sort of have to give up if you're on an Apple Watch.
Speaker 3: It's kind of fun.
Speaker 1: The fitbit will tell you exactly how long you slept, when you tossed and turned, when you had deep sleep, when you woke up, when you went to bed.
Speaker 4: It's really cool. You also get about four days of battery life.
Speaker 3: With that one.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, how do you charge it?
Speaker 1: So you basically with that one, you just kind of charge it like whenever you feel like it. So yeah, I mean, I think for a lot of people, the routine is before you get into the shower, just put it on the charger.
Speaker 2: Oh, so got it.
Speaker 1: That's you know, twenty minutes here or there. Oh for space, I mean it depends how lot you're spending an hour, an hour or two here, yeah, whatever, your bath, yeah yeah, take a bath, put it on the thing. So oh my gosh, we have so many more things to get through. So we played the uh wizarding with the new Harry Potter game. This is called Harry Potter Wizards Unit. I went to an event at Universal Studios in Hollywood on Tuesday night.
Speaker 3: It was a lot of fun. It was. It was a lot of like YouTube.
Speaker 1: Influencers, a lot of people I didn't recognize, you know, like sometimes it's like tech journalists sometimes you know, it depends on the event, right, this one was a lot of like it was like a mixed crowd of like YouTubers, print people, game video game people. But you know what I mean. It wasn't like I was anyway. So long story short, we got to play the new game. And this is a game that is very similar to what Pokemon Go is, except with Harry Potter. It's made by the same company Niantic. It's also made by a company called WB Games, which I guess is part of Warner Brothers. I'm assuming, but you are a new recruit in working within the Statue of Secrecy Task Force. Does that make any sense any that? No, you're helping solve the mystery of the calamity. Does that make any sense?
Speaker 2: No, Okay, Well, I'm not a Harry Potter.
Speaker 3: You're not. I thought you were a Harry Potter.
Speaker 2: Has No I watched I watched all the.
Speaker 3: Moviesay, and you don't know what the calamity is? Did you watch them with your eyes closed?
Speaker 2: I didn't take notes.
Speaker 3: Let's just okay.
Speaker 1: So players will be able to explore their real world neighborhoods and cities to discover mysterious artifacts, cast spells and counter fantastic beast and iconic characters. So I am not a Harry Potter person. I read the first the first half of the first book, and I found it very interesting.
Speaker 3: I actually really liked it. I just never really got into it.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, so again there this is like there's like muggles, like people throw around all these A muggle is like a regular person today.
Speaker 3: No, I knew that, Yes I did. I knew that there's muggles.
Speaker 1: So your job the beauty of this game, and I here's my thoughts on the game. If you are just kind of an average gamer that finds things really interesting and technology really interesting, I think you'll find this interesting because it uses augmented reality, so it puts the game in the world around you. So when you're in your neighborhood, you see the streets on a map of your neighborhood, and you walk around and find stuff and find these little challenges. And what I understand the challenges to be is I saw like some kid that was like entrapped in thorns, and I had to wave my magic wand to like free him, and then I collect that kid, and that's like kind of like I won like that little part of the game, right. And then I saw like a slug that was in like this big massive like moving like you know, yucky bowlb or whatever, right, and I had to like wave my wand and like, yeah, cast a spell on.
Speaker 4: That slug to like the wand your phone.
Speaker 1: Your wand is your finger on the phone screen, Okay, And every spell you have to trace like a little spell on the screen. Maybe that's just for the beginner part of the game. Maybe towards the end you have to like figure.
Speaker 3: Out the spell. I don't know. Interesting, Yeah, I mean I.
Speaker 1: Only did like four or five of these little things. But I will say a couple things. Number One, all the people in the little Harry Potter world that we were in, like we're obsessed with the game. Watching me play it, they're like, what is that?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: They're Harry Potter fans, So maybe that's not telling right. But I think that this will be an interesting game because it's available Friday, June twenty first on iOS and Android. It's free to download. Of course there will be in app purchases, But I think this will be interesting because here's the thing. When Pokemon Go came out, it had a built in audience of video game nerds, right. People were very familiar with the Pokemon video games that played Pokemon Go and it became this huge sensation. It brought in other people as well, people that like mobile games with Harry Potter. The Harry Potter fan base might be bigger than Pokemon, but a lot of those people just know it from the books and the movies. They're not necessarily video game players, right. And I think that's the challenge this game might have is it could be super popular, it could eclipse Pokemon Go, or it might not be as popular because the muggles that play, is that what they're called?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the regular people that play.
Speaker 2: But I feel like the people that are into it don't want to be called No, they.
Speaker 3: Don't want to be a Muggle. They think they're enough.
Speaker 4: Ye see all these weird bletherin.
Speaker 3: Oh what does that mean?
Speaker 2: Oh Lytherin, You're going to hurt people's feeling.
Speaker 3: I do like the butter beer. I tried that. Yeah, I did go on two rides.
Speaker 2: I have a question about game. So if you have it, So if I get the game and I'm like walking around, well, I get notifications when like there's.
Speaker 4: Something I think, so I don't.
Speaker 2: That was the Pokemon Go. That's how Pokemon Go like became so popular, is like people would literally walk to like parts of La or whatever just to like get that special dinosaur or whatever they were called.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and I think that's all part of it.
Speaker 1: That is part of Niantics set on stage that a big part of the game is helping you explore your world around you, gotcha, So you know, it gets you out and about and like you might go to a park in La that like everyone says this Muggle dwarf is at that park with the bench and you're like, oh, I gotta go Buggle pick up there. And so I think that's a big part of the game. Or yeah, so that's it. That's going to do it for the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the more is there.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much for listening. Please subscribe to the show.
Speaker 1: If you haven't done so already, you can just search rich on Tech in your favorite podcast app. That could be Apple podcasts that can be pocket casts. Overcast is also a great one. And the cool thing about overcast is you can actually use it to share a clip of the show on social media. So if we say something that's really cool, go ahead, clip it off, clip.
Speaker 3: It off and share on social media.
Speaker 1: It's kind of fun and it makes a great little thing where like you can listen and see what the podcast is.
Speaker 3: My book is called.
Speaker 1: One hundred and one Handy Tech Tips for the iPhone. It's available right now on Amazon and paperback. And don't forget to sign up for my newsletter send it out every week. It's at richon tech dot tv. Put your email address in and I send you a little synopsis of the things that I think are interesting in the tech world, kind of like this podcast, but a written version.
Speaker 4: Producer, Megan, did you enjoy the show?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Today, it was fun. What by fast?
Speaker 1: Do you think the audio is going to be better than the show from China?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And have you recovered from your jet lag. I don't think so, no, I know it took a while.
Speaker 3: This time.
Speaker 2: It's hard to like go to sleep because I'm so used to staying up all night because that was China for us, because it was like at five pm in China. It's a big time yeah, big time change.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm Richdmiro, thanks so much for joining us. Have a great day. We will talk to you real soon