Speaker 1: Hey, Hey, ba fam, I have been waiting to tell you, guys. I have been sitting on this news forever. But for the first time in Brand Ambition history, we are going live, y'all. We are going to be live from Newark, New Jersey. It is all happening October tenth at six pm. If you want to get tickets now, tickets are limited. We picked the best venue. It's a historic black owned bookstore in Newark, but seating is limited. This is going to be an intimate evening with me and Tiffany live in person. It may be the only chance y'all get I'm not gonna lie to see us together live in twenty twenty four, so please come get your tickets. We want to make sure that the crowd is packed with true be a family. Okay, So if you want to get tickets, run, don't walk. Run to Brown Ambition podcast dot com to get the link right there and let us know that you're coming. Tag us, send us your receipts, send us your order. Maybe we'll send you some BA wag. We'll have some BA swag at the event. Even we are going to be celebrating nine years of the show, y'all. Nine years. We're like geriatric podcasters in the very best way. But we cannot wait to see y'all in Newark. So go ahead Brown Ambition podcast dot Com to get your tickets to see me and Tiffany live for Brown Ambition Live in Newark, New Jersey. It's all going down. Like I said October tenth, get your tickets again at Brown Ambition Podcast dot com.
Speaker 2: Hey, hey, hey, we're back. We're black, We're Bread, Ambition.
Speaker 1: Ambition, Amphibition, Ambition, Ambition. Hey, Madge, you Ambition and Denham today? Right?
Speaker 2: Why are we deadim down? Like? Did you? Are?
Speaker 1: You like?
Speaker 2: Picking posts?
Speaker 1: Probably because Beyonce posted a cryptic social media post about Levi's jeans and I think.
Speaker 2: Like you.
Speaker 1: Know, No, I did not, girl, well me and your friend Cabrell did, because I was.
Speaker 2: We're seeing the comments acting the best.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I was, and he responded.
Speaker 2: Oh love that cross, Like, hey, girls.
Speaker 1: Something about ron Embisson before we before we start the show, we make a plan, right, we know executly.
Speaker 2: What we're gonna talk about.
Speaker 1: We hit record and it's like whoa squirrel? Anyway, I'm all miss you Okay. Whatever Beyonce posted, she's been she likes to talk on social but doesn't actually say anything. She just posts visuals like a picture there was like a she was in Paris promoting her whiskey brand. Anyway, it was just like I think it was just a static image and there was no caption, and the image just said something about something's laundrette, like sexy Levi's jeans at a launderette. And I was like, like, are you collaborating with Tide? Are we gonna have like an oxy Clevin Yeah, like an oxy clean cowboy Carter, Like what are we doing a line of Levi's jeans? Like what is this visual? Are we getting in a music video? And I was fed up? I was fed up, and so I went in the comments and I was like, just say something in the caption, like just right, just explain, because some of us are still paying off you know, not me particular, but a lot of Beyonce fans are like still paying off their after pay you know, like purchases of Sacred and Sir Davis whiskey and let's not forget about the Renaissance tour whatever.
Speaker 2: And then Cabral was like because it was that was a bang.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I still don't know what the hell she was talking about. But anyway, Cabral and I were both annoyed by it, and he supported me.
Speaker 2: What did he say?
Speaker 1: He said something like, Mandy, she what did she want? I'll tell you exactly what you said.
Speaker 2: Oh on God, not my two friends in the comments cutting out on the Beyonce.
Speaker 1: I mean it's I always like seeing I like to go to comments and if I see someone else post, I think it's kind of funny. Also, it makes me think about twice before I post. I'm like someone might recognize me for these comments. Okay, he said, Mandy, is she trying to play with our emotions?
Speaker 2: Oh that's not what something was saying.
Speaker 1: Listen, he was on his launch break. We just had a little Are you threatened because I'm kicking with your friend?
Speaker 2: Now we can share. I don't mind.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you're his number one man. Well, you just look like you just roll off of a private jet after speaking to a stadium full of incredible women. What is happening?
Speaker 2: I wasn't a private jet and be so. This past weekend I went to Women Evolve, which is one of the largest women's conferences in the country. It was thirty eight thous into women, I believe. And so it's Sarah Jigs Roberts. So you know that that's the dart of TD Jakes and Sarah's just this just phenomenal pastor leader woman herself. And so I actually did the very first Women Evolved. It was in Denver, Colorado years ago, I want to say, maybe seven years ago or something like that. So I did the first one and that was just a couple thousand people, like a few thousand, but I didn't even speak main stage. Then I did like a workshop or something like that. You know, it was still a lot of people, but you know, I didn't speak main stage. But this time they're like, oh, we want you to speak main stage, and I'm not gonna lie to your mandy. I was like, okay, I don't know what I was thinking, Like, I don't know. I didn't I don't think I conceptualized what Maine stage meant. And so the day of, like the day before like I was to speak. So I landed on Wednesday. I spoke on a Thursday. They're like, oh, we want you to come to the you know location. So they put me in a hotel that was next to the location. They like come to the location, take a look around, but also to do some press whatever. I said, Okay. So I get there and I'm like, why is it like a stadium, like you know, like I saw Beyonce as a stadium stadium right, And I was like, okay, so they're walking me around. I'm like, oh, so, like you know, somebody was like I think I forget the pastor that was preaching that morning when I was there, like just observe a little bit, and they're like, oh, do you want to like sit? I said no, because they told me I have to do press in like thirty minutes. I don't want to disturb people getting up and down. So I just said, I don't know what Flora entered, but you know, like how stadiums have the tears. I was maybe midway up there were still more tears above and tears below. So I'm just standing like looking over and I said that that stays down there. That looks real little because there's so many people in here who goes be on that stage.
Speaker 1: They're like, you, girl, I said, when I tell you, I said, it's just the pit stats.
Speaker 2: I couldn't believe I. I couldn't believe in I said, wait, that is that the stage I'm speaking on tomorrow. I kept asking. They're like, girl, yes see we how many times? How many like this to say it? I'm like, yeah, but that's that's like the stadium stage. That's like the Beyonce, like Carter Giselle, Carter Nole's stage, Like pop your hip. You know you look like an ant because I'm you know, I'm not even at the top part like stage. And they're like, yes, that's gonna be you. I said. With other people, they're like, no, just you. I'm like the announcer, They're like, no, just you.
Speaker 1: I was like, this is when people have backup dancers.
Speaker 3: Girl.
Speaker 2: I couldn't believe it. And they were like, oh, by the way, cause at first I thought I was doing a panel. That's what it said in all the communications, but apparently I was doing a twenty minute keynote.
Speaker 1: Okay, so my lemon level, I'm excited. On the other level, I'm like, did y'all not communicate? Girl? We did?
Speaker 2: I looked at all the communications and I said it's a panel. They're like, yeah, we thought about that, but then no, we want you to do because basically a twenty minute like financial tech X talk.
Speaker 1: And when did you get this information the day before? Is that before or after we chatted.
Speaker 2: When you read I don't remember. I felt I got blacked out.
Speaker 1: You were getting your makeup done and you sounded weird. I was like, she sounds like she's I thought it was because the makeup artist was there. She could hear me. I'm like, oh, it's yeah.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: I probably was free because I'm not gonna lie. I woke up that morning, Oh freaked out, yes, because I was just like because one they told me the day before, like, oh no, it's a text keynote, and I was like, you know, I'm not going to stress about it today. I'm going to try to USA. I'm gonna wake up early to prep to prep for my text talk because they want me to talk about like budgeting. I'm like, girl, you know this is not new. You've talked about this so many times, so many ways. Just wake up in the morning, take one of your old presentations and practice it. Whatever. I woke up and I was stressed. I didn't do anything, so I think so I had woken up two hours before the the you know, the makeup artist came, but by then I had not done anything. I wasn't schedu to speak till five, but I said, Tiffany, so I think what you called. I was like really like wow, so you speak in a few hours and you are not prepared to speak in front of thirty eight thousand women, and so I think I was kind of in my head like a lot, and so you know, they I had to go. I forget. They wanted me to do some other sort of press or something, and thankfully I had like a good two or three hour block before and so I came back to the room and I was just like, okay, Tiffany, block everyone else out and I prepared, because it's there's a difference. There's one thing speaking in front of a thousand people, like I just did fourteen hundred people for the National Association of Black Glters. But in that room, you know, you see faces, you see not and you see yeah, you know, you hear the voice, you know. But what I realized, and I'm glad I got to go the day before. You know, it freaked me out because it you can't actually hear anyone. It's a weird phenomenon that you can hear the general murmuring of a crowd but you can't hear the individual like you know, like yes, Tiffany, it just sounds like, oh you like So, so I realized that, like, it's gonna be hard for me to get a gauge of whether people are understanding and getting it. And so I was like, I realized that, like with a crowd like this, that murmuring is the only feedback I'm gonna get. So I'm gonna need to infuse kind of some like call and response into my presentation, like I talked to the name of my talk was make your budget say yes, and so throughout yes, right, So I was like, so throughout I'd be like, wait, what did the budget say? Was it no? They're like no, yes. So that was like because I could get that feedback and yes kind of sounds like something when you're up there, but even.
Speaker 1: Like there's a noodle you say, but yeah, basically you know that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: It was like, but it's also there's an echo that's delayed, so you're hearing yourself, you're kind of hearing the crowd. It was not easy, you know, like because I you know, normally, like I might say something like cute or funny, and then I hear a laugh, but I didn't hear a laugh. I'm like, yeah, because they haven't heard you yet. Girl, it's got a verberate and so timing, I mean, all in all, I wasn't sure how I did. I you know when I was. I actually went Once I got out there and I looked around, I realized I wasn't as nervous because I can't see anybody. It's just dots. So I wasn't as nervous actually as a smaller crowd, because a smaller crowd, I see your face, I see you, like what. So I was nervous, but not the level of nervous you would think with that many people, because at that point it's not people, they're just literally just dots. And so I was able to just be like basically there was like, you know some people like in the front that I was like, well, it's me and U Tasha in the front, girl, Like that's funny. And so I actually was way more like, way more comfortable because you know, there was just too many people to even conceptualize. I thought I did okay because I couldn't, like I said, get a gauge because the sound just sounds like so I don't know. Yes, no, maybe it wasn't until I'm so grateful for the people, which is that just yes, a little. Yeah, it was a little. And because I was nervous, I didn't tie myself like as I was nervous that I was going to take too long, and so I had like kind of like three parts. The first part I went through it too quickly, and so I actually ended I kind of was like wrapping up, and I still had three more minutes, which is like an Eterney.
Speaker 1: One a nightmare girl.
Speaker 2: So at the end, I literally said, well I'm done, and then I was like that had agreed, and then like I laughed and they laughed, and then I was like, well, actually let me just leave you with one less encouraging word, and then I did that. So because I was like, I'm like, that's the same that Hillary Duff me like, well thanks for talking thing.
Speaker 1: I hope you, And I was like, because I had a great time to wright.
Speaker 2: So I just kind of like was walking on the stage and I was like, oh, I give myself a B minus C plus you know. But I will say that what I really liked was so many people recorded and posted on IG and I got to see myself and I said, wow, it was more I guess epic. Then I could physically see because to.
Speaker 1: See great yourself like you yesn't present the attendee, which may be totally different.
Speaker 2: The girl I mean, and I can hear my I was like okay, and I didn't look nervous like like I although I felt it like you know, but looking at like looking at the videos and I was like, oh, wow, did you seem because I was like walking across the stage look at people and I said, not you being out of body and somehow like like so it just it went like so much better than I thought, like re looking at all the videos and everything else, like it went so much better than I thought. So then I gave myself a nice B plus a minus. And I didn't look nervous at all, and I wore like I'm so glad, like I I just I went to this African street festival thing in Newark and I bought this like dress by this African vendor that was like African print. I had like these really like swirly sleeves and I was like, you know, I think I'm gonna wear this and what I liked about it too is that you could. I could wear like my cute sandals with it, so that way I didn't want to have to wear heels. I'm like, I almost tripped coming up the steps, so I was like, I'm glad I had like my sandals on. So I felt very comfortable, and yeah, it looked amazing. The makeup artist did her thing. I told her this eight thirty am makeup actually has to last me till tonight, and so it did. She did such a good job with my face, so I felt very comfortable. Thankfully, I had just gotten my hair retightened because I had literally an afro with locks, and the night before my Katab who tightens my hair, was like, hey, are you free? So thankfully, I mean, because what you don't want to do? You know, you're because little You're like this little ant on the stage and then they have the big the big prompters and so it's like all up in your face. So everybody would have seen my fro, my undone hair on the edge, and so it's.
Speaker 1: Just me, I need to go on your own.
Speaker 2: It was just well I put it. I made it a highlight. So we're obviously gonna do some posts and stuff too. So you'll you know, in the next week or so today tomorrow. But I made it a highlight, but it just I don't think I still have fully absorbed like the epicness of that, you know, because I was sitting backstage and I said, Tiffany, there are like forty thousand women out there and you're you look like.
Speaker 1: A fucking African goddess. The hair, I love it, it's like off the shoulder.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I just I still haven't absorbed it because I'm like you, all the people, do you see someone.
Speaker 1: Like the actually ship you're under like you didn't ship your underpants on stage? Then you get an eight of this, because I want to ship my underpants just looking at this and you walk by your goddamn self, you and the Holy Spirit and no one else.
Speaker 2: I know, honestly, I will, like I said, I will say that looking at it from the perspective of the audience, it looks crazy. It didn't look like that to me. It just looked like you're in this space and there's multi colored dots everywhere. So I couldn't really you know what I mean. So it didn't give me the chance to be as freaked out as I probably should have been thank.
Speaker 1: God you're working the stage. There's no there's a podium, but you don't care.
Speaker 2: You're yeah, I know, girl, I was sashaying. I walked up, I said, not me being Beyonce. That's why I said. When I got the bike and I walked up, I was just like, hey, y'all, Wow, this is amazing. And so.
Speaker 1: That's how I know you must have not known an advance because you didn't give me any advance warning to know that this shrip was happening.
Speaker 2: Girl, I had no idea. They're like, okay, my I didn't know, would you have?
Speaker 1: What did that do to you in terms of like your team negotiating your fee for that, because that's very different than a panel. Did they did they try to get a discount like last minute que cute? Because I don't mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here's the thing, like you know, like I knew I want to do women all because it's a huge opportunity. So I just kind of was like, you know, a friend of mine was on like the planning committee and I had missed out on the year before, and so I was like, whatever it takes, girl, I want to do it. So I just said whatever that looks like. So they did pay and it was a cute coin. Maybe not thirty eight thousand people cute colling, but a cute coin nonetheless, And I don't think that's that's what they were trying to do. I just think that I don't know. It was the CEO CEO of t Iaa to Shanda, the Shanda, she was backstage and she she did one after me, so she too. At first I thought maybe they forgot to tell me, but they forgot to tell her too. She was like wait what So I was like, okay, good, not.
Speaker 1: Just me, Oh god, they said, but they said we'll put to Yeah. At least it happened at the right time for Yes.
Speaker 2: It was. And honestly, the thing is.
Speaker 1: That is my perfect on the moment.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was a room full of amazing, beautiful black women. So I mean, to me, I think it would have been more freaked out if it was not my audience, because you know, you're standing in front of like black women who are literally just there to support you. And the way people have the message to me that was so good. You know the steps you told me, I wrote them down. You were fun ger, you look beautiful. I mean the girl. The edification. I mean it's top tier.
Speaker 1: Right, and they were already primed because this is a multis conference. I need to get mind. I know a couple of people who went to Evolve, and I'm like, it's like the essence fest of the Fall is.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is like and walking through I can't take you. I took so many pictures, so many hugs, Like there is no better audience than black women. I'm going to be honest, and because they're just there's just so the kind of love you get. I was like, I don't care what kind of bad moods you in, not today's sis. They're just like, thank you so much. Me and my daughter, my grandma loves you. It was just it was just a day of like love. And I just was like, people look at me, double take Like, so I took so many pictures and hugged so many people and cried with so many women who were like, you know, I was not doing well and then I read your book or whatever, and so it just was like just a beautiful display. And like I said, I haven't got a chance to really like absorb the fact that like you really got on stage and spoke in front of all these people, Tiffany, and you didn't faint or pass out.
Speaker 1: When are you going to start traveling with a little film crew so that you can do your own documentary of your work? I know, I just said that you need to own that.
Speaker 2: I know, you know, you know what I I wish I didn't know that it was going to be this obviously, because I was like, wait, if I would have known, maybe I would have been like, whoa somebody, could you know, maybe hire somebody in Dallas to follow and take the pictures in the video all that kind of stuff. I just thought, oh, you're going to do a panel and you know, of course a lot of people, but still, yeah, I was staking that like at this time, I was sticky, Like thankfully everybody was so great.
Speaker 1: Like they'll have you'll have more stages. I just feel like I want and like, let's say the Today Show came to you tomorrow and was like we want to I know they already did, but like you would have footage and stuff like there's video out there. But I just feel like your story, the budget needs to the impact that you have. I just feel like it needs to be captured and given its due, Like I think to really like you have this New York Times bestselling book and it still feels like, well, one, I know you keep yourself humble, but it still feels like you're surprised I am. I mean, I don't know from the outside looking in, I know, but I just want, I don't want. I just feel like you need, you need, And you've been a part of other people. You're a part of that Netflix dock, you were in Queer Eye, like you've been all over the place. But I'm like, you deserve I think top billing in like an actual documentary and not just and I want, like I want to see you, you with your crusty eyes in the morning when you wake up, like I want. Don't don't ask me to direct it because I'm like I don't want all that, just like no, but just like the realness of you, like you're just like a living legend just walking around Newark, just kind of like famous and like you know, you're just I don't know. It just feels like it just feels like that's something that I would want to watch. It feels so heartwarming. It feels like you know that Michelle Obama's higher ground, that production company, like they would be all over that. But I also just think that you need to do it and then just sell it. I think people would scoop it up. I think that obviously I'm an expert on Hollywood. Maybe it's because my little brother makes movies and gets them screened at film festivals and that world just feels so much closer and less intimidating. But I'm just but it's really about like the way that he makes films. He makes it first and then they go and sell it, and that if you could like get the funding or just fund it yourself, whatever, just make make it talk grand can watch it someday.
Speaker 2: It is kind of crazy. I feel like there is like this was this was This was the first time I felt like, wait, I don't know why it's taken so long, because I do I am people think I'm just putting on I'm like no, I am still really surprised because largely I'm home by myself with my sisters and my niece and nephew who could care less, you know, and so like you know, but so this time being there and seeing how many women reacted to me, I was like, wait, this is this is a big deal. I think this was the first time. It kind of hit me because when I saw the CEO of t I A. She used to be like the you know, the top top woman at Chase Bank, like you know, like all JP Mortgage, that was her and now she's the CEO of t I AA. And when I got back there, she was like, girl, how we never met before? But I know, I know your whole story. I know, I was thinking, like, how does she know me? And and then it was like but to see her, but then also to get like, you know, like women in the hallway and you know and literally the the you know, they have hostesses that like guide you and that, and it just really hit me, like Tiffany, like like my sister would say, everybody knows everybody like you're you know you're but I guess I just I don't know. It just it's hard for me to wrap my mind around how big the brand has gotten because it still feels like mine and not small, but like personal because it's like largely when I'm not out there, I'm home. You know, I'm home, rubbing my feet on my couch. It's like, you know, like I'm home taking a walk up.
Speaker 1: My favorite part minding your rich Auntee business right right with my black owned business.
Speaker 2: And so but when I every once in a while, I will step out and really just be an awe because even on the plane, like, oh there man, they'm not gonna lie. I was in NewYork at the airport, I'm like, hi, but it is I'm going to Women Evolved. The plane was full of black women, but I land but I was like, dad, oh that's right, they're all going to Women Evolved. And I just thought, wow, all y'all know men day Okay, So I don't know, girl whatever thinking, but it was just you know, this thank you to the Women Evolved Team one. They were so accommodated. I brought my best friend Linda, and Linda had some mobility challenges, you know, and so they were just the kindest, the most accommodating, the most whatever you need, however you need, whatever you you know, like it just it's you know, Linda came with me to the first Women Evolved and you know they're not There's not too many conferences that I can say, Linda come and I can feel confident that she's going to be looked after just as well as I am. And Women Evolve hands down as one of them. That's like, whatever your challenges are, not just her, But I just saw lots of people. They were just accommodating to every type of need that you might have, and they just were so kind like no, no, we got her, girl, you go ahead, No, no, we we're gonna go this way, We're gonna do this. It was just they were just amazing, and Linda was like, that was amazing because that's not always the case. You know, people don't make space for people who are different, and so yeah, that was just really heartwarming too. So they will always have my whore because of the way they treat her, but also the way they treat me too, And honestly, everyone there, from the women who attended to the women who helped behind the scenes, it's just a love fest of black women on black women, black on black love.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm so proud of you always. But that's such a funny story, and the best way is possible. State firm agents are small business owners too, so they know how to help you choose personalized policies that fit your needs, like a good neighbor. State firm is there. Talk to your local agent today. Hey, hey, ba fam, we are going live, y'all. We are going to be live from Newark, New Jersey. It is all happening October tenth at six pm. If you want to get tickets now, tickets are limited. We picked the best venue. It's a historic black owned bookstore in Newark, but seating is limited. This is going to be an intimate evening with me and Tiffany live in person. It may be the only chance y'all get. I'm not gonna lie to see us together live in twenty twenty four, So please come get your tickets. We want to make sure that the crowd is packed with true be a family. Okay, So if you want to get tickets, run, don't walk. Run to Brown Ambition podcast dot com to get the link right there and let us know that you're coming. Tag us, send us your receipts, send us your order. Maybe we'll send you some be A swag. We'll have some BA swag at the event. Even we are going to be celebrating nine years of the show, y'all. Nine years. We're like geriatric podcasters in the very best way. But we cannot wait to see y'all in Newark, So go ahead, Brownambition Podcast dot com to get your tickets to see me and Tiffany live for Brown Ambition Live in Newark, New Jersey. It's all going down, Like I said October tenth, get your tickets again at Brown Ambition podcast dot com. Bloods segue into like maybe not a not so funny story, but do you know these people are still trying to purge people from voter roles, like on like bold face to control all deleting people from voter roles. So be a fan. We've said it before, where I'll say it again. Check your registration status. Yes, the state of Alabama is getting sued right now by the Justice Department. They try to get rid of thirty five hundred registered voters from their roles. And they want to say, yeah, no, I don't know. It's like happening. And in Georgia too, you know, it's just these battleground states especially there is this like we all focus on the presidential election, but there's this like nefarious strain of low level government workers who are potentially altering the course of our democracy. I know that sounds so dramatic, but it's actually happening. Like the people who are going to decide how do we count votes, and how do we contest a vote, and how do we make it easier to contest a vote, you know, to deny the will of the people. So just one thing I'll say is go to I will vote dot Is it calm or org? Let me see, I will vote dot com, and then it will direct you to where you can see if you're Yeah, it says check if I'm registered to vote. Just check it. Check it for your grandparents, check it for your Yeah, your your loved ones who are maybe not so Internet savvy. Matter of that. Let me check it for my dad right now, because see, I worry about him, like I worry about older people of color in these battleground states, because I just feel like they are more susceptible to be getting kicked off these roles, you know. So I yeah, I want you guys to go, I will vote dot com. Stay woke. Oh good, he is registered And look at him voting elections during off years. He was just voting in May, probably at a primary. Amazing. Okay, great, yeah, this was super easy. It took less than five seconds. I will vote dot com. OOHI now, Tiff, there was something that you wanted to talk about because somebody has sent you something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so someone sent me this article that I was like, so a friend of mine, Kalilo, she's also like one of my mentees. She has this company called mess in a Bottle and she makes these amazing mostly like like apparel, but other things but that have like really amazing messages on them. And so she's been in target. I mean, she's had partnerships with all these amazing companies. But Kalila had a really hard year in twenty twenty three and twenty twenty four. It's been a little hard too, So she posted a story about it, and in her reals she shared how she said, I am struggling in business, and I decided to do a little digging to see, like what's really happening, because let the people say, like you know, let the government say the economy is strong, but come if the economy is so strong, why are people Why am I struggling? And she was just like she came up across this article that said there is an uptick of people using credit cards for groceries, and whenever people use credit for necessities, that is something called a Canarian a coal mine, meaning like Molly you and danger Girl and so even though the stock market might be up, it is not translating to the everyday person's reality of being able to pay bills because I'm seeing it over and over. Remember, I think I talked to that in one of our episodes. How a friend of mine who I've known since sixth grade, who's never asked to borrow two dollars in sixth grade, let alone money, is a teacher fully employed, did not get her summer hours like she normally does and asks to borrow money to pay rent, and I lent it to her, and I was thinking, like, wait, what's happening. So when Kalila sent me that article, I was just like, yes, I'm wondering how BA fan feels, because I if I'm being candid because of the business that I'm in, in the work that I do, Certainly twenty twenty three was a hard business year. But for me, profess, for me as Tiffany, you know, I have, I have, You know, I am, I am past the ups and downs of the daily girl. You know, like I've been able to you know, the life that I live is significantly less than what I make regardless, so I don't necessarily feel the pinch as much because I'm like, well, I was already living at twenty percent of what I take home, so it would take a lot for me to be like, hold up, how much is that? But it doesn't mean I don't hear all my family and friends being like girl like Carol, my sister telling me like, uh, groceries are crazy. You know my other friend who's been having the hardest time finding a job, and he's got his master's and is well qualified, So like, what what are you seeing out there? Because you know the fact that people are using credit cards more for necessities, lets you know that they're in a bad place.
Speaker 1: I'm in a bad place, Like I'm in a bad place. My issue is like I'm in a bad place personally, and I think a ton. I mean, I can just share some data on this too. But the average American consumer, the credit card debt is going up. I mean it also you have to also think about the cost of housing. So I'll give you an example, and I just I just want to say to anyone listening that in a lot of ways, it's not our faults, like things are getting more. It's just like math is not mathing. Things are way more expensive than they ought to be and used to be, and our income not just hasn't been able to keep up with it. And so a good example is housing. I'm a homeowner, and I think on its own, my monthly mortgage payment would be maybe sixteen or eighteen hundred dollars. But my home value has, according to my town, gone up astronomically since we purchased it, like almost fifty percent fifty sixty percent. So my property taxes have gone up. And I was one of the smart ones who refinanced during the pandemic when rates were super low. So my interest rate on my mortgage is like two point whatever percent, less than three percent, which is extraordinary, right. However, I keep looking at our mortgage bill and I'm like, this bill keeps going up. It's almost four thousand dollars a month, now four thousand dollars a month. And that is after we and I think when we move into our house, it was twenty five hundred seven hundred. That is the cost of property taxes, that is the cost of house and home price inflation. It is gentrification, It is the housing shortage. It is the fact that I live. Like if you go on Zillo for my zip code, you'll find like three houses for sale, and a lot of that has to and the ones that are for sale are extremely expensive, even though they're very modest, like my home, and my neighbor built a brand new house literally right next to us. It was an empty lot. He bought it and built this eight hundred thousand dollars brand new home. And I'm over here like and and which I think I mentioned a be a fan that we tried to appeal our property tax.
Speaker 2: I was gonna ask that, how did that go?
Speaker 1: Denied? Denied? We've tried before. We've actually hired someone like real some real estate agents or realtors. If you reach out to them, some of them have side businesses doing these appeals like property tax assessment. When you call them when you fight against it. I guess that before and that went nowhere, And I'm just saying so, like, that's a lot of extra lot now. At the same time, I really wanted a family, and you know what's really expensive is childcare. It is so hard, and it's like I could really get emotional about it because I made a ton of great choices and right now in my life, I'm thinking, oh, so I worked really hard in my twenties and made all the right choices, so I can barely goodbye my thirties.
Speaker 2: I just don't understand. It's fucking crazy. Oh my god, Mandy eighteen hundred to four. That like, how is somebody supposed to navigate and manage?
Speaker 1: I mean, on the one hand, you can say, well, it's a blessing you have. You have this equity in your home. Well, then I'll point you to this article that I just actually my husband sent me because we were talking about it. Cash dropped Americans are using their homes to pay down debt and to keep up with the rising cost of living. So we're tapping into this equity that we've accrued. But we're too broke or we're too trapped by our low interest rate mortgage to leave our homes. So yeah, we're house rich, I guess. But how do you actually turn your equity into a picky bank. Well, you can do a home equity loan or home equity line of credit, which is when the bank basically says, oh, you have one hundred thousand dollar worth of equity, so we'll give you a line of credit for thirty thousand dollars and then you can draw on this line for the next like five years, five ten years, and then you have twenty years to pay it off. And interest rates tend to be a lot I mean, they're definitely a lot lower than credit cards because your whole house is securing it, which means if you default, you can lose your house. But rates are like nine percent, which is significantly lower. So families are now taking their equity. And the reason why some people have a weird feeling about home equity loans is that may sound familiar. This was one of the biggest causes of the housing crash and the financial crisis in eight was the fact that it's not as bad. I don't want to like be like alarm bells. It's not as bad as like two thousand and seven, when banks were giving out a good like so many home equity lines of credit. You know, people lived in houses that were like you know, the housing and housing prices were super inflated. There was all this like crazy stuff happening in the back and the back end of banks that still go over our head to this day. But the point is people were leveraging their home value for debt and then they couldn't repay it, and that was one of the reasons we had that bit collapse, right, So now that we are turning to this, you know, this smart, low cost form of debt consolidation by tapping into your home equity, it just yeah, it definitely makes me feel like, oh, people are including myself, like really overwhelmed and just looking for trying to make the right decision to keep up. And meanwhile, September thirtieth is today October first. It's like, do we have the mortgage and the daycare? Do we have the eight thousand dollars? It is just the roof and kids like, can I make money in business to pay for their shit this night?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: It's really I guess, you know, like I feel like I feel like I don't I don't know this. I was telling that to someone. I said, this is beyond to your point. This is not budget your way through. That's not what we're talking about here. This is people are not don't buy those Jordans. That's not what's happening. It's like, so my kid doesn't go to school, so we don't have a roof over our head. Like people are really navigating between need to need, you know, and literally I just had a.
Speaker 1: Homeboid saving the back of you listened to Brown Ambition early days. I got seven savings accounts and six months of expensive No, she's dead, she's gone, She's she.
Speaker 2: Literally my boy told me today he was like, I'm debating whether I'm going to the same thing. He said, I'm trying to figure I'm gonna pay my daughter's school fees or rent this month. Let's see, I said. He was literally serious, and he's like gamefully employed, got his master's and I was like, wait, these are the choices. He's like like I don't even And so I'm thinking to myself like I don't know, like I don't know what there is, almost like there has to be this other solution, and so like the solution that's happening in my family is family, you know, Like I remember like when I was really, really, really struggling, and everybody does not have this. I know, I know this is from the place of the most luxurious, most privileged place to be able to have family that I was able to when I was struggling. At my heart is to be able to sleep back home with my parents, like in you know, getting back in my middle school bed, and then after that being able to stay with my sister in her one bedroom and then being able to return the favor to her when she needed a place. And now then she stayed with me. But I think about like my sister and I to put my sister Carol. I know she probably remember why tomorrow, but not to put her business out there, because you know, she's got two kids. She's and yeah, and she just told yes. And although she makes good money, she was like the same. So she was renting a place that we helped her find. And at the time, I want to say, rent was like nineteen hundred, do you know. And that was because at the time Amelia was list she was like nine months pregnant. So Amelia was like and Millias now just turned seven, and so she's been She stayed there for about seven years. That place it was either maybe nineteen or even had sixteen hundred at the time. That place is now that every year, the way it goes up astronomically right now is twenty seven hundred dollars. And she was like and then she said before she left, she was like, oh, we're there, like we're raising another three hundred dollars a month. I'm like, wait, what so I was like, how would you even She's like, so this is a sister. Thank god that I had bought this condo, because I was like, I can't believe in two places. So I just told her, you can live in my house cause honestly, that is my house with Drew, so I don't want strangers to live in that house. Draw and I would always discuss that if we ever moved out, that Carol could live there. And so I told her, you can live here and just cover the carrying costs, which is the you know, which is about fifteen hundred dollars, which that that's that's the what's it called taxis you know, like you know, utilities are not so crazy and like other little like whatever like insurance, whatever's about fifteen hundred. So she took go from twenty seven really it was gonna be three thousand in a minute to fifteen hundred. It's a huge saving. And the fact that the kids school is literally down the street, and so the blessing is now that they're seven and eight, you know, they go to public school. She doesn't have to because I remember when she was paying rent and daycare for two kids, which honestly, I just had to take a bill. I was like, I'm just gonna take a bit because there's just no way you're gonna be able to make it. And so I remember going to the daycare center and then being like oh because they thought because we look at like I guess and they'll go, don't forget you you oh sad to such And I was like wait, what what's old? And they were like oh you know, And I was like, okay, I told them from now one just send that to me because I know she must be freaking out, like what am I gonna like what kind of if the kids don't go to daycare? How am I gonna go to work? If I don't go to work, how am I gonna pay for anything anything? You know? And so like what I tell you, like fuck, I mean even now, like I try my best to like I don't know what people do. That that is the solution that've come up, but it's not a universal solution.
Speaker 1: The solution is like four one k. I mean, try to get a balanced transfer credit card. You think about more for one kid, you know, withdraw and you're like, well shit, like when's it going to end? You think I'm a piece of garbage. Because I should know better. But then you also realize what stories like this that you're not the only one, And I'm like, who is doing something about Like this is why we need to vote. I will point out there is like economists they know about this housing crisis, like they know about the housing shortage and the only way to fix it. I was listening to we should put a link in the show notes. Yeah, the wonder One of the solutions is to aggressively build new homes in America. We need like the whole supply and demand of it all. They're just like sense because of the housing crisis. Builders and I'll give you an even more personal example. My uncle and my on my mom's side in Georgia, they used to own a building. He owned a building company and they built homes all over Fayette County, Georgia and probably other places. And they shut down in the wake of the recession because they had to they where there were no one was buying homes, everyone was defaulting. There was no money for builders, and so builders like him stop building. And you know what business he got into property management because of the renters surge, because se many people were pushed at traditional home ownerships so now we're renting. So these private equity firms are going into these neighborhoods, buying up single family homes and fail them and renting them.
Speaker 2: Right, they'd be calling me all day every day.
Speaker 1: Yes, then they hire a company like my uncles to manage those properties. So my uncle was managing a portfolio I just talked to the other day, a portfolio of nearly five hundred single family homes across Georgia. Right, tell me why that man is richer than he's ever been in his life. He's like, I'm about to buy a chopper. He's gonna go buy a whole helicopter. He owns multiple properties. I'm not throwing I mean I'm a little bit throwing shade. But this industry property managers, these private equity firms, they are it is so rich, this off the backs of renters. And of course they're raising rent crisis because they can't because it's capitalism, because they have the vocation and they are baking in. This is one of the things that Stacy covers in her pot in a recent episode. Well that's an antidote for me and my family. But just to tie it in, like she talks about how she talks to an eviction activist who's trying to help because and she's saying, how these the business models of these companies, they bake in the fact that you're going to have to evict people. They plan for it. They don't try to prevent it. It's like, yeah, you'll have the churn, and it's like put an eviction notice up. We're going to tell them that their rent is going up, they're probably gonna have to leave, and we'll just you know, flip it to the next person. And it's very nefarious. But one of the biggest things is we need a big intervention local government federal government probably both like to actually build how housing or subsidized housing for people. I know that's one of Kamala's platform pieces, you know, for for her campaign, is to have more down payment assistance. But I'm also like, bring back the fucking salt deduction. Do you know about that? I mean, I know you paid for yeah, but before the Trump tax cut of twenty seventeen, he eliminated the salt tax deduction for homeowners, so that was stayed in local tax So your property taxes, you used to be able to deduct those from your taxable income. And that's why it was like, Oh, become a homeowner, it's beneficial for you. You get a tax break.
Speaker 2: Ye, there's zero.
Speaker 1: You know, we did all the things, we put in the energy efficient windows, we got an electric car, we get those little tax credits here and there, but like there's no benefit, Like it's just straight up coming out of our pockets. So if we could have for the existing homeowners, this is my bid to the Harris campaign. Cute for people who want to buy their homes, down payment assistance amazing, But like for those of us who are in these homes dealing suffering from the rising cost of our properties and the taxes that go, like, make it a deduction again, so that we can fucking breathe. Because I loot an affordable home within my budget. It's not my past that these fucking taxes are making it unaffordable. You know. Yeah, I didn't know I had that on my spirit, but I think, no, I'm so glad.
Speaker 2: Because it's really the truth that is of Look when I look back when I moved into my house and know my taxes were seventy five hundred, I believe they're close to thirteen hundred. I mean, like, how do they do? Like I actually I haven't even fought them yet, but I'm gonna because I'm just like and I don't know.
Speaker 1: One hundred and now they're thirteen thousand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thirteen thousand, that's what I mean. Can you imagine?
Speaker 1: Yes, I can't.
Speaker 2: Like, I'm like, how did they double what the entire house? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Because yeah, like in the same situation, home property price is going up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like going because I bought I remember, I bought that house for one eighty At the time it was worth like three sixty something like that, but it was a foreclosure. And now they're saying it's we're five twenty. So I was like, we wait what it sounds good? But to your point, so I got to, what does that mean as far as paying these taxes? Yeah? Oh girl, I just I don't know. To your point, there has to be an intervention because this is beyond budgeting, This is beyond the fiscal responsibility like it is. It just is. There has to be an intervention because you know, you're forcing people to want you're going, you know, all of a sudden, you will have people who are working who are also homeless.
Speaker 1: Than what I've never like people think all kinds of things about families and where my zip code and where I live and how much money I have, and I'm like, we are it is the edge. That's where we are. We're living on the edge, and you know we're going to get through because where there's a will, there's a way. But I'm just so many family. Like you said family and support. I would just say it was even cathartic telling utivity, and I feel like, just tell your family if you're really struggling, because I I think the credit card debt to me just signifies that we are. We are keeping it moving. We're turning to our credit card, we're swiping at the grocery store because we have high credit lines. It's gonna clear. We don't always know how we're gonna pay it off, but we're like not, we're not like raising a hand asking for help whatever, at least not even a lot of people can help. But just talk about it so you don't feel so alone, because it's real and it's stressful. It is stressful.
Speaker 2: Maybe we can have like so you know, my best friend Linda is a social worker, and one of the things I really loved about Linda is She's like, there's so many resources like whenever someone there, like, she's like, no, there's like these, there's resources for housing, there's resources for childcare, there's resources for this. I don't know. Maybe we can have someone come on to talk about how do you find resources in your you know, locale like because she's really good at like you know, like Jersey is her like specialty because that's where she lives and she's from. But she was like, she was just helping a girlfriend of mine with the resources. She lives in Pennsylvania. She was able to find a ton of resources. I'm like, how did you She's like, this is what they teach you in social work school. Basically, she's just got her masters. She's got her bachelors and zoost work now her masters, and she's like, you know, there are resources that people don't know to tap into places to go. So maybe we can have someone come on to like I don't.
Speaker 1: Love that, but they'd have to talk about like what do you do when you're middle to high income and like you don't qualify for a lot of something.
Speaker 2: The one thing about Linda is I have never heard her say there's nothing for you. I've never heard her say that help me, Linda, I know I've never heard.
Speaker 1: Oh. The one thing I am going to do is I'm going to finish my paperwork to be designated a minority owned women business so that I yes, so I can apply for grants and funding and stuff like that, even for Brown Ambition. You know, it's just kind of silly that I well, it's not silly because that application was a pain in the news, but I dropped it and that's that's certainly one thing I can do. But yeah, that was our joint Browned, Brown, Break and Slash. Like what if Kidfury and Crystal did a read on housing prices? That's what you did. Got here.
Speaker 2: We just also to want to thank you guys for all the you know, you heard our last episode. I just want to thank you because it's just been so I mean, it's been hard, but honestly, the support that you have just poured into us, you know, this has been really beautiful to see. I love everyone's like, girl, Mandy, we got you, girl, like we gonna shoot Hm and Bud. You know, that's been really beautiful and so that's probably been my favorite part that people are like, oh, I cried I'm sad about it, but I'm also here and excited to see what Mandy's gonna do. For those of you like what's happening, I'm like, well, go listen to the last episode. Yeah, because there's too much to say in one. But I just love this equal parts of although I'm sad about it, I'm also excited and I can't look forward to like continuing to like support Mandy and continuing to like lean in. So there is equal measure of like sadness but excitement. Yeah, and so you know we're like grateful for that.
Speaker 1: You're the hotocopy of brown ambition. I know, hold on, wow, that's I loved it though, because it does it is. I don't know, I just really loved watching her send off happened the day after our episode aired, and I was just like, this is how it feels. I wish I had a whole couch full of other anchors to just gush about how much we love you. But I think the audience can feel that, and I think it's like you're very special. But also there's this level of excitement and pride in the person for being press to say that's it, and and it just clicked for me. I'm like, this is what you coach women how to do all the time. There's no one to walk away. So yeah, I'm super proud. I'm and thank you to be a fan for sure. For yeah, yeah, just the support can keep it up. Don't forget about us. She's still here through the end of the year.
Speaker 2: Yes, and we have our show. Hello, we better come. We got literally like once to get left.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, there might be half a ticket. There's going to be a wait list, but.
Speaker 3: Yes, our first live show two is not little never too late before we are Yeah, October tenth, We're going to be live in Newark, Tiffany's hometown, well now hometown, And you can go to Brandambission podcast dot com if you want to try to fight over this last ticket that we have.
Speaker 1: If not, you can join the wait list. I'm sending Tiffany on a recon mission to see if we can't fit more than however many people that we have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna go. I'm just going to go there today like after a podcast to like just you know, go in, maybe get some video to your point. Are you you free the rest of it because I will video chat you if I get their time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm free. Okay, thank you, but BA fan Brandimission podcast dot com if you want to buy your ticket, just one. Maybe there'll be a couple and there's going to be a waitlist. And what else do I want to say? I got a DM from an Instagram fan who says she's flying in from Savannah, Georgia No, which I'm like, shout out to that round trip because that reminds me of my wedding. Because the tickets for some reason between Savannah and Newark are very cute, very contective.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so what's put on a good show for y'all. I'm very very excited, all right, y'all.
Speaker 2: And so what we're gonna see you on Friday, b a QA.
Speaker 1: See your Friday. Bye b I vam